Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we support the Dwayne Wade statue. It was we it's a week before trade deadline for yourself.
Speaker 2: But we couldn't wait to get some trades off.
Speaker 1: So yes, we are talking news. We are talking Quarterback Island. We're talking TNF here in the Chris Westling podcast studio with Steve Weisch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back from.
Speaker 1: Europe, Jordan rod Rieg back from I'll Play Callers podcast, new new episode.
Speaker 2: And yes, Colleen.
Speaker 4: Wolf Hey, I'm just here, Colleen, stop by yo.
Speaker 1: Back from Monday night football coverage with Steve Mariucci. Going to Germany next week. You're gonna leave the studio straight from our trade deadline. We got that right to the airport just moments.
Speaker 5: Ago, all of us together, especially you color and she's.
Speaker 3: Going to l Sace. Yeah, it's a good white wine.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna have to write that down. I don't know the spelling of that. I'm not really sure I got you. Okay, how are we feeling?
Speaker 6: Oh, we're fired up. We're fired up. It's Quarterback Island time.
Speaker 3: It is feel it.
Speaker 1: It's been a lot of planning Quarterback Island. We'll see if it's anymore well organized this time surprising, Jordan didn't believe.
Speaker 5: Like, are you looking at me?
Speaker 2: Well, because it's like twenty minutes before the show.
Speaker 1: I said, I'm an open I'm open for all the arguments. Which quarterbacks are going to be on the island and which aren't. We're deciding which twelve deserve to be there. And you didn't believe me.
Speaker 6: Do you see the reworking of the phraseology of what he actually said, Yeah, we're not going to go there.
Speaker 7: I actually videoed it, though, So I have receipts and what does it say says I have no plan?
Speaker 5: You said that's true, and I said, I don't believe you.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought it was executive power.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Okay, now we're talking about you can change the rules as much as we wish, but I don't have a plan.
Speaker 2: I don't know how.
Speaker 1: I mean, we know each other prettyretty well, Jordan, now, but you know not as long as he's like, I don't normally necessarily have a plan.
Speaker 2: You have an idea, you just roll.
Speaker 3: Let's do some news, dude.
Speaker 1: Ah, Okay, we're going to try to avoid news today, but the NFL wouldn't let us, so we've got juicy news let's start with the Deontay Johnson trade from the Panthers to the Ravens. Because of the three big items on Tuesday, this was the one that surprised me the most. The Ravens only have to send a sixth round a fifth round pick, and they get back the Panthers' sixth round pick. When you think about how the Panthers are going to be at the top of the draft and the Ravens are going to be at the bottom, that's like half around when you know, account for the compensatory picks that will be in there. They're basically trading for nothing. And oh, by the way, the Panthers are paying a good chunk or most of his salary. Kind of crazy that the number one offense in the NFL, Colleen is adding another weapon.
Speaker 8: Great job, Eric Tacosta, I mean, this was a steal. This was such a great move.
Speaker 4: By them and Deontay Johnson he was getting moved either way. Yeah, But once Christian Kirk got hurt, broke his collar bone, I feel like then it was like Deontay was the clear option for them. And there were so many teams that still out there that need wide receiver help. But I just think I just cannot wait for November seventeenth when he goes back to Pittsburgh as a raven Or. Like that's because he was traded from the Steelers. So i just like the pettiness of it, and I'm excited for that.
Speaker 3: You just want to be back against Patrick Queen, so you know, to there we go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like this.
Speaker 7: It was interesting Jeff's reebik over at the Athletic He was talking about improving wide receiver depth, but he's also talking about how he could potentially factor in the return game. You know, that's a team that really puts a lot of emphasis on special teams. It helped him in the margins late last season as well during the regular season, and he actually was talking about potentially thinking that this team would try him out in the return game as well, because yes, they needed a boost in the receiving corps, but also projecting him as a potential guy who could try to take some reps there.
Speaker 6: I think, honestly, in the shell game they made a move before Houston came and got him. With the news of Stefan Diggs being out, I think this is okay, We're gonna be This is a team with. These are teams you have to battle to get to the Super Bowl. Digs is out, Houston could be going to get him. Let's get him to add to the return game, but you throw him out there. Now you got Zave Flowers, you got a speed burner who can also do the intermediate stuff at Deontay Johnson. You've got the two tight ends, and you've got Lamar and Derrick Henry. There's a lot of things to occupy a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody in the AFC is doing it these days. I mean the Bills, the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is an arms race, and yet it costs totally nothing. So you would think they went around to try to get better offers and couldn't get it. I'm I'm stunned by it because you can talk about wide receiver depth all you want. This guy has almost five thousand yards in his career. He's been extremely productive. Now there is an issue of that. The Steelers did not want him around. They traded him for Dante Jackson. They're very happy about that trade. By the way, they got a starting cornerback who plays every snap.
Speaker 2: They do need a wide receiver, though they're They're doing pretty well on offense.
Speaker 1: I think they're happy with that trade, and the Panthers apparently wanted to get rid of them so badly that they gave him away for nothing and are paying them.
Speaker 3: So he's got expiring content.
Speaker 1: I get it, but literally, they're getting basically no value and they're paying it, so they just wanted him on some level out of the building.
Speaker 7: I've said this before with a couple of these trade. I don't think for teams that are contenders that are basically paying a rental price to have someone who can help them or improve their plus qualities as an offense by just a little bit more down the stretch, I don't think situations like that they care as much about those contextual elements to potentially agree.
Speaker 1: And it's the Ravens. The Ravens feel like he's just gonna be a piece of the Ravens. If he tries to rock the boat there, it's going to hurt his career and they won't correct.
Speaker 4: They won't imagine going from Carolina to Baltimore for him, or oh my god.
Speaker 3: Or Mary Cooper going from Cleveland to Buffalo.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I love it because it seems like Colleen you mentioned it Stevie mentioned it. It seems like all of these AFC teams, you know that scene from the Office where they're playing the board game where they're like who committed the murder or whatever, and they're all standing in a circle that meme, and they all have the finger guns out and they're looking at each other and who's going to move first?
Speaker 5: Who's going to move first?
Speaker 7: Then all of a sudden, everything happens at once, like that is what's going on here with the AFC. They're all like, oh, you might be looking for a pass oursher. Oh you got the guy that we wanted. Okay, we're gonna pivot and get this other receiver that maybe you guys were looking at. And okay, now we're going to get this receiver that you guys couldn't get.
Speaker 5: It just is fascinating.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 7: They're loading up and this this Conferences division is loading up in a big way.
Speaker 2: I mean, he might be their leading receiver.
Speaker 1: My guess would be Zay Flower will be Zay Flowers has improved quite a bit. There are some similarities, but Deontay Johnson is a more accomplished route run. He's been productive since the day he hit the league, like six hundred and eighty yards as a rookie.
Speaker 2: I remember thinking that that's impressive.
Speaker 1: And ever since then he had that one big thousand yard season, but he's always seven hundred, eight hundred yards a lot of catches. But there is this idea of Deontay Johnson two that I have that like, there's so much more he can get that hasn't happened yet. He has been in the NFL for six years. Maybe it's not happy. It's like it's like there's this idea of him like an American psycho. There's this idea of Peyton Patrick Bateman, you know what I mean, like some kind of abstracted abstraction. But it's it's illusory, this idea of Deontay Johnson that I've had. But he doesn't need to be a number one there. He's replacing Nelson Aguilar. It's definitely an upgrade for Nelson, and he's a rental player.
Speaker 6: I mean he's Kawhi Leonard, so I mean he could be the guy just to get him over the top.
Speaker 2: It's a really smart move by the Ravens.
Speaker 1: And like I said, they are number one in passing Dvoa on the season. The number one offense in the league, number one in passing efficiency. Because the running game helped set up these open receivers. Deontay Johnson's going to see more single coverage than he's ever seen in his life.
Speaker 2: Let's stay at receiver.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Stefan Diggs out for the season for Houston. Really disappointing to see them lose another piece. Nego Collins will be back in the mix for them, Jordan, but I think this is a.
Speaker 2: Sneaky, big loss.
Speaker 1: Like I know, people haven't seen him be the old Stefan Diggs, but he leads the team in first downs. He actually was becoming that trusty third down guy out of the slot. Almost a majority of snaps in the slot that he looked to when he needed ten yards they went to Stefan Diggs.
Speaker 2: And now he's not there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that kind of relationship building takes a little bit of time, that kind of trust to chemistry developing between a receiver who was new to this team this offseason and a quarterback who as well as he's played over the first year and a half of it career, you still are trying to find those guys that you can build that trust with, particularly with some of your other guys missing, I think where this really hurts them. It's like you said, he's a first down machine. Okay, Well, this is an offense that's really struggling in terms of protection, in terms of creating a safe space around the quarterback in order to run a functional offense to stay ahead of the downs. Their run game is working, but in terms of the past game, it's been up and down. And a lot of reasons why you see him leaning on Steffan Diggs is because you're starting to get that security blanket developed. And that's not a bad thing. That's a very good thing, and it helps you sustain as you figure out how you need to recalibrate and re scheme your offensive line in the meantime. Now you got to do that while also missing a significant player on your offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think attackings are going to be in the trade market. I mean there's still like who's left?
Speaker 2: Like that got time right, Like, yeah, what.
Speaker 3: Player do they want to go after?
Speaker 6: Because you see in de hoop all those guys are gone but Kendrick Bourne.
Speaker 3: I guess oooh, I don't see the Patriots part mc Kendrick Bourne.
Speaker 6: They really like him in regards to their season, if they can get a Kentry born who can go downfield. I mean he's different than Steffan in terms of his ability to get downfield.
Speaker 3: If they get someone like him. With Nico Collins coming.
Speaker 1: Various, Layton certainly not a one to one fit. But when I look at their current roster, I kind of think Robert Woods is gonna play this role that Stefan Diggs was because Tank Dell isn't really built for that. He hasn't been as good this year. They're only twenty fifth as an offense in success rate statistically, their passing game is about average in most metrics.
Speaker 2: So you lose Stefan Diggs, that's a big loss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And Nico Collins he's on injured reserve until least week ten. So I mean it's I guess the timing of this. At at least it gives them a little flexibility, an option to potentially get someone. It's late in the game for a receiver, but at least this didn't happen right after the trade death.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 7: I'll throw out a name, but not the one you guys expect me to. What about two to two out well, because now that Cooper Cup and Pokin Nick sure back and they really like you don't under don't underrate him. I know that he hasn't had a lot of opportunities to He's played every position in this offense that has similar.
Speaker 2: Language just offered him the most foul taste.
Speaker 5: He plays bigger than.
Speaker 2: Just like wine that's been sitting out for plays.
Speaker 7: He plays bigger than he looks. I listen, I understand, I get it. But but he knows, he knows this offense and the Rams are probably not going to resign him after this year. Puka Nakua, Cooper Cup being back, Jordan Wittington emerged, that's the direction they're going to go with their offense.
Speaker 5: They'll probably at least, you know, have the conversation.
Speaker 2: I think there's a maximum.
Speaker 7: As much as I like Steve's face torn, you hate not to tow out all for.
Speaker 1: As much as I like my body diversity and accomplished.
Speaker 7: Okay, you blame you could blame Sean McVay a little bit on that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know is Eric.
Speaker 5: Eric's got a.
Speaker 6: Lot of receivers in tot Well Flash and training camp started the season bank bang and then.
Speaker 2: I mean NFL often are creative.
Speaker 1: I think there's only one slot for a guy who's under one hundred and sixty pounds on each in each wide run.
Speaker 5: Right, what he's the opposite of what.
Speaker 7: The Cardinals are doing on right taking that slot, shrinking on down.
Speaker 1: I really feel for Stefan Diggs too, because he is going to be a free agent.
Speaker 2: He had a void in his contract.
Speaker 1: This was always a prove it type of deal, and look, they might bring him back because okay, we got.
Speaker 2: To know you. You were a good fit with CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 1: His offers aren't going to be as good as as they would have been. He had quickly transitioned. I didn't expect this to be that quick, but to a guy who's averaging like ten point six yards per catch. It was not a guy who's going down the field but catching a very high percentage of balls. Was kind of transitioning to that veteran role where he wasn't as big of a playmaker, and so you hate to see that for him. He will be hitting free agency. He'll be thirty two years old next year. I hope they end up keeping him. Let's stay in the AFC South and talk about the move that Nick Shook and eye saw coming on the Monday Night Show when Shane Steiken did the thing where he said we're evaluating and that means they're making a change.
Speaker 2: Anthony Richardson is being benched. How about that?
Speaker 1: Twenty two years old? Just a handful of starts this year. Joe Flacco, Steve will be the starter Sunday Night Football. When was the last time the Colts were in Sunday Night Football? And now it's with Joe Flackey against his Vikings defense?
Speaker 6: Fine, Joe Flacco run the offense. Look at this, Two of the top four picks from last year's draft have been benched for Andy Dalton Joe Flacco. When you think about Bryce Young also hitting the pump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's crazy.
Speaker 3: But they had to do this.
Speaker 6: Anthony Richardson every game that he finished this year completed no more than fifty percent of his passes. That is torture to the other guys on that team. That's why you have to make a move like this, because when Joe Flacco played, the offense was functional.
Speaker 3: They're going with the deep ball.
Speaker 6: He's on schedule, he's not tapping out because he's tired. That move right there, is letely an excuse. But when you've got six guys up front, fighting their herd to protect you, to save your life, and you tap out because you're tired, nobody wants to hear that. But just go back to the fact that he's not ready. Everything we heard about him coming on the draft is he's just not ready. It's going to take him some time. So good on Chainsichon pull him back right now because he is in a he is in a tailspin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not good.
Speaker 6: And I'm sure the other dudes on that team after him tapping out or like huh uh, Joe.
Speaker 7: Flatcoin, Tapper probably can't even feel his body.
Speaker 4: That's Stephen Holder is treating all sorts of stuff about this decision. What the team had explained to him, people from the team that they want Richardson.
Speaker 2: To take a step back, that break they're.
Speaker 4: Giving him, they're not quitting on him right now. But yeah, he doesn't have the experience. He's so raw, and you can see that just from the fact that he did tap out. They can't get the locker room behind him. How are you going to rally a bunch of guys after you do that?
Speaker 7: And I want to make the point too, when you're playing in season, if you're a young quarterback and you still need a ton of developmental work, you don't get that during practices. What your reps are during practices are game planning our offensive installation.
Speaker 5: They are not conditioning reps.
Speaker 7: In fact, you're probably deloading much more than you are actually getting into shape. You're doing things because of the injury that he previously saying. You're protecting the injury. You're prehabbing, you're post rehabbing, You're doing all of these things. You're not developing as an efficient thrower. Now, I do want to point out I think this is the right move, and I think that it gives him time to actually work with this programming that the cults are all bought into the same programming and biomechanics experts and private coaches that you can usually only work with during the off season that Josh Allen worked with when he was learning how to become a more efficient thrower and to fine tune some of his mechanics. That is the work that Anthony Richardson needs to do in spades right now. He doesn't need to be sitting there taking in of that time to do things that are not actually getting him better as a thrower of the football. And it's not anyone's fault that they're not. It's just you have to go play football and plan games and try to win games and beat opponents. And Joe Flacco can do that. Anthony Richardson does need this time, and I do know the Colts are invested in those practices and in those methods, So I think that this is a good thing for Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 5: If we're looking at the five year plan.
Speaker 6: And they're there, they would be in the playoffs right now. I mean, that's the thing. You look at their record in the AFC AFC they're five hundred, right, so that's the thing. If they were terrible, that's one thing. They're like, we're trying to win ball games. We are right there, just like we were last year. When you look at the rest of the AFC, the AFC East is probably only be one team now making the playoffs in that division.
Speaker 3: That's not what anybody thought. So they're trying to win.
Speaker 6: Get They've got a veteran Leydon roster guyas like DeForest Buckner, guys like that. Let's get to the playoffs and take a shot, because I think the AOFC is far more wide open than.
Speaker 4: We thought, and Joe Flacco seems like the perfect quarterback to learn learn from, if that is even a thing in the NFL. But Joe Flacco is one of the nicest guys in the world, and he's not thinking that he's going to be like leading the future of this franchise or anything. So I would imagine that that environment is a healthy one in the quarterback room.
Speaker 1: They should they should have just kept going with Flacco at the time instead of going back to Richardson.
Speaker 2: That's where it got a little messy.
Speaker 1: I think Richardson's in one of his biggest strengths there is intangibles in terms of his leadership and and I know he tapped out for that play, but in I think he'll be able to handle this. I think they love him there in the building as a person. But I've never seen a young quarterback more in his own head so as much as it could be about mechanics too, And he didn't have the off season because he was recovering from the shoulder injury. You could almost see him overthinking out there, like.
Speaker 8: He this is what happens when you draft potential.
Speaker 2: He was playing tight.
Speaker 1: Caleb Williams I thought on that and that Game's Sunday, like you could see him coming off the BIB playing a little tight. But Richardson especially just felt like he was he was not playing loose. Now, their numbers as as a running team when He's on the field versus when Flacco's on the field are quite different. They're much better now. They didn't have Jonathan Taylor for those Flaco starts. That's a huge part of it. But you have to change the offense a little bit and you're gonna lose a little bit in the running.
Speaker 2: I do look at the schedule.
Speaker 1: I expect Anthony Richardson starts again this year, probably by December. They're not going to keep starting Joe Flacco. And Joe Flacco's older, you know, is he gonna last to the end of the season.
Speaker 2: You don't know.
Speaker 1: Here's the schedule. My point is he has to win that. Here are their games before the bye at Minnesota, home for Bills, at the Jets, home for Lions, at the Patriots. Now, if Joe Flacco cannot beat one of the three best teams and like three of the best teams in the league are the Vikings, the Bills, and the Lions. Let's say they lose all three of those and they're you know, and let's say they beat the Jets, They're five and seven. We're hitting December. They probably go back to Richard maybe, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 3: I'm I am not counting them out with Flacco, I am not counting them out.
Speaker 9: You know what.
Speaker 7: I love was listening to Chris Long's podcast green Light, and Joe Flacco was telling this story about how when he gets out of bed in the mornings, he can't stand up straight all the way until he finally makes it, you know, several feet down the hall to the bathroom and finally man and finally.
Speaker 3: Me either.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's play for five straight weeks as the starter and no, that's that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I guarantee Matthew Stafford probably feels the.
Speaker 5: Same, probably crawling at this place.
Speaker 3: This is not that is not a unique situation post now it is.
Speaker 1: It is a great It is a great story, a great like I want Joe Flacco to do it. Let's get that win against the Vikings. I'll be rooting for the Colts. That would be fun. And you mentioned it's it's not a developed developmental league, and Richardson needs it.
Speaker 2: He's only started twenty two games since high school.
Speaker 7: I like what Colleen said is this is what happens when you draft potential. There's nothing wrong with drafting potential, like she alluded to, but you have to also have the infrastructure and the patients to manage that potential and to develop and blossom that potential in a league that is not built for that at all.
Speaker 3: You got to know your locker room.
Speaker 6: I mean that's more than you have to know your locker room is if they're going to be patient enough. Like when Trey Lance went to the forty nine ers, that actually was a very good situation for him. They had everything built in for him, a great culture. He just couldn't play right. That's what it came down to. But if you put Bryce Young with the Carolina Panthers and he's playing with you know, a bunch of traffic collings, I mean no, no, not disparaging, but yes, at the same time, that's not helping this guy.
Speaker 3: No, that's not having a plan.
Speaker 1: Now people are like, what about his confidence, and there's reports he was devastated, but they're not worried about, like, of course he's going to be devastated. I've heard starting quarterbacks say like, this is the worst thing that can happen. You do sometimes you come back you feel a little freed up from it because the worst thing has already happened. And yes, this is a guy who's two and a half years younger than Bonicks, a year and a half younger than Jadan Daniels certainly hasn't played nearly as much football as him, so there's a lot of time here.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I just wonder how that messes with his head as someone who is so young and inexperienced.
Speaker 2: He'll be fine, fine.
Speaker 3: I can feel it.
Speaker 1: If he's going to have a good career, he'll still have it. I don't think I don't think this is gonna make or break Anthony Richardson. Look, we saw Drew Brees get benched for Doug Flutie back in the day.
Speaker 2: He had a pretty good career.
Speaker 3: Let's go if you know, the kids have no idea what you were talking about.
Speaker 2: Doug Flutey or Drew Brees.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, people forget this whole chargers up and down where people his coach hated him in San Diego.
Speaker 8: I was trying to think of football historian, how.
Speaker 1: Many different not many like high, highly touted, top quarterbacks have been benched though and went on to have a good career. It actually hasn't that many. Alex Smith is another one that has. Drew Brees is, you know, at the top of the list, at least for the last twenty years. All right, we're going to talk about some players who are at no risk of being benched in just the second.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're going to the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 9: Twelve of the NFL's finest quarterbacks have left the comfort of their stadiums and luxury suites for the adventure of a lifetime. These brid iron heroes are used to leading their teams on the field, but can they outplay, outlast, and outthrow each other in the ultimate survival challenge?
Speaker 2: You ain't everything you have with the gobas tied you.
Speaker 5: We find a way to win.
Speaker 7: The No matter what.
Speaker 9: The stakes are high and the competition is fierce, only one can claim the title of the ultimate survivor. Who will rise to the top and who will be sacked?
Speaker 1: They wrote me off, I ain't right back though, well, I'm right back.
Speaker 3: Let's go. This is Quarterback of Ireland.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: We are the look of it. This total joy on Jordan Rodriggs's face. Thank you Randy Chavis for voicing that. Thank you to g Know Smith, one of the current twelve members of Quarterback Island. If you haven't been with us on the first two editions, we're doing this once a month every four weeks during the season, deciding who are the quarterbacks that define the position right now? Who is playing the best in twenty twenty four. You can interpret it however you wish, but there are twelve members, as decided by us, the panelists that are currently on Quarterback Island. So just so to go over it, let's talk about him and I'm gonna go alphabetical order, so you know we're not playing any favorites. Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Jaden Daniels, Sam Darnold got put onto the island.
Speaker 2: That's a problem with that all right now, Jared.
Speaker 3: No, you heard the pause. Good catch, Colleen.
Speaker 1: Jared Goff also got put onto the island last time around. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Dak Prescott, Brock Purty. They've been there all along. Gino Smith got onto the island last time around this Matthew Stafford and c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud. So that's after week four. Here we are after week eight.
Speaker 3: Wow, that flew by, Yeah did it?
Speaker 5: Though I do measure time.
Speaker 1: People say that island, but that feels so long ago. Honestly, yes, you hadn't even You hadn't even lived in the in the Kimpton Fitzroy in London for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: You either then I hadn't been on the back of a motorcycle over in London either.
Speaker 2: That's true and.
Speaker 3: Evil what you know?
Speaker 2: Just think.
Speaker 1: I do feel like these seasons, like people say, they move fast.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: At the end, you blink and it feels like it's over. But it's like that feels like a million years ago.
Speaker 8: When you're in it.
Speaker 4: It is a different method of time somehow, like we're in some other simulation while we're in it.
Speaker 8: But then after it's like, oh my gosh, that was quick.
Speaker 5: Maybe we are in back island. Oh my god, it's like lost. Time has different.
Speaker 1: Don't give away potential surprise season finale, And yes we do have some twists. One I will introduce to you right now there is gonna be a function of the show.
Speaker 4: Greg by the way, is the producer of this, and he's also a contestant.
Speaker 2: Josh, he's kind of an every power.
Speaker 3: Pots on the back end, he's also trying to place Van Gali.
Speaker 1: I'm selling this the syndication. It's all happening.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us about the twists.
Speaker 1: Okay, the rip. There is a new part of the show called the Riptide and for the.
Speaker 2: Entire rest of the season.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, yes, oh my god, yeah, baby.
Speaker 5: Steve crawling to the.
Speaker 2: Bathroom thinks Dad, that's a granddad joke.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, Stafford. We might need to work.
Speaker 1: On the riptide one now because every time I hear it, that's what I'm going to think about.
Speaker 3: The riptide.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, No, own the.
Speaker 3: Hot tub and autin powers each.
Speaker 1: One of you for the rest of this entire season through the playoffs, and we will have a version of it in the playoffs. You can and use one riptide just once the whole rest of the season. That means you have there's someone on the island that you are taking off and there can be no argument to it, so that the whole show could have just put them onto the island and you could take them back off one singular, one single player, and you can use it this show if you want. You can use it next time around. You can use it at the end of the season. You can hold that card in your pocket. You have a riptide card.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're dunking somebody in the shallow water, just.
Speaker 1: So that, like, if you feel that strong, and it could be strategic too, you could hold that over someone, you know, if you want to get what you want.
Speaker 2: Let's vote.
Speaker 1: So we just talked about the full screen. I mean, we just talked about the Quarterback Island, the members that are there. Now I think let's just start by introducing who I would suggest just be locks to stay on the island.
Speaker 2: Otherwise we're not going to vote until the very end this time.
Speaker 3: All right, what you got sound?
Speaker 1: Why are you because we didn't I forgot to talk about this with you before the show. That's all okay, that we're not voting till the very end. I would suggest there are six, probably seven locks to remain on the island that don't need a lot of discussion. We can talk about them just as players, but that they remain on the island. Of the twelve current members that are on the island right now, here is who I suggest remain without a vote. Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen MVP candidate, Lamar Jackson, MVP candidate Joe Burrow playing well. Jaden Daniels has done absolutely nothing to take him off the island MVP candidate CJ. Stroud, and I would say since we put Jared Goff on the island last time around, it's hard to say the way that he's played since Week five, there'd be any oh reason, no disagreement, possibly, are there any disagreements even a c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud?
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, and any thought, So just any of those guys you want to just get out there while we're.
Speaker 7: Here, found something interesting, you know. The difficult thing with how with what's going on with c J. Stroud right now is obviously his offensive line, particularly.
Speaker 5: In past protection.
Speaker 7: Next Gen stats found his pressure rate to be on forty one percent of his dropbacks, which is the most of any like if we're going to just like loosely frame like a quality starter in the NFL right now. But it's interesting when you compare that to the pressure that Jared Goff is actually getting He's at now a thirty four point four percent PRESSU rate. Some of that's based on opponent recently and what they were trying to do to him. He's right behind like a Gino Smith for example, which we know his offensive line has also been atrocious. And so I'm basically arguing, you know that these are very two, very different teams and what the Houston Texans are, what's happening to them right now, and what we.
Speaker 5: Know the Lions, how we know them to be built.
Speaker 7: C J. Stroud is making the most out of what is happening with him. But actually pressure is increase seeing on Jared Goff because people are actually trying to see, oh, is this the same Jared Goff who could get frazzled, who would start playing worse once the pressure increased. But he currently leads all qualified quarterbacks in yards per attempt, completion percentage cpoe so completion yards over completion percentage over expected, and passer rating when under pressure this season.
Speaker 8: They have the best offensive line the Lions, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but they're designing pressure appoints are designing pressure against them differently now, So he is getting better left, but he's managing pressure differently and just go back and watch Lions Vikings.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of gonna throw out whatever last week was. It was just fun. It was like an absurd box score was hilarious.
Speaker 7: But when you go back, yeah, he threw three touchdowns on fifteen pass. But when we're actually going back, like, I don't really want to hear the Jared Goff pressure argument at this moment right now from not at this table, of course, not but externally because he's actually managing things better when you go back and watch that game and watch him orchestrate the line. The way that he did that was really savvy, smart quarterback play, and it was a veteran quarterback play where he's manipulating the pressure, not the other way around. That's the difference in really sealing him on this island right now for me, why I don't think there's an argument even if there was, I just don't think there should be.
Speaker 5: And similar to c. J.
Speaker 7: Stroud, the way he's playing in consideration of all the pressure.
Speaker 5: It's interesting.
Speaker 7: These are two very different situations and marginally like a little bit of a different pressure rate here, but they're both managing it to the best of their abilities, which I think has actually increased in terms of what they're able to do year over year.
Speaker 4: He stays on the island, his family can come as well, like it pirks.
Speaker 6: But basically, Jordan saying is a nerve of Ben Johnson taking the ball out of golf hands letting David Montgomery throw it back, Like what the.
Speaker 2: Hell does have some funky numbers.
Speaker 1: He is just having like a bizarre season that he's like twenty third in QBR and not in the top twenty in PFF. It is an eyeball test of like you watch CJ. Stroud and to me, it's just so clear that he is one of the I would say eight best quarterbacks in the league, So I don't need to see the numbers. GOFF is having an incredible season and but the numbers are a little bit all over the place. And part of that is situational that he's in such advantageous situations. There's a stack called EPA plus where it's like, based on the situation of the plays that you have a positive of what's expected or not, and he's averaging that. Part of that is because the Lions are always in great situation. Yeah, GoF is taking advantage of it. No argument, he's honest.
Speaker 5: Interesting finding here's one.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is just to be a jerk like Patrick Mahonells like the dude, right, but he's got the he got the lop sided touched on interception.
Speaker 2: Huh oh yeah, he's he touched.
Speaker 3: On his nine picks.
Speaker 6: It is crazy, right if we're talking about But now here's the thing though, with two minutes with with a minute thirty left in the game, do you want anybody else.
Speaker 3: On asylum but him?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, so and this is probably gonna flip the more they could d hop and stuff in it. But that to me, when you're looking at the guys who are locks, if you just go statistically like he's receptions.
Speaker 7: He's vacillated to between like the fifteen to seventeen EPA per dropback range to like as high as eight, and the Chiefs are seven to zero. But their offense is the second lowest EPA per game since twenty eighteen, and their first lowest was in twenty twenty three by significant margin. So caveat, caveat, caveat, what did they do in twenty twenty three anyway, despite having that, But yeah, to your point, it is really speaking of lopsided stats and lopsided numbers.
Speaker 5: He is certainly a descriptor of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, plays they're getting ready to take off.
Speaker 1: You're not seeing the wild plays, but you're seeing the This is why he does well in PFF, for instance, versus other stuff, is because he's just getting little little gains, little plusses every play. He's making smart decisions. You're not seeing the big time throws. It is crazy, though, to be in week eight and he has nine interceptions eight. I'm not trying to be locked into that stat more than others. All Right, Let's let's just throw the rest of the guys in one big bucket, okay, And by that I mean the players that we've decided are not locks that were on the island, okay. And that's Dak Press at Sam Darnold, it's Brock pretty you know Smith and Matthew Stafford. But what I'm going to say is that we're going to discuss all these guys and the players who could potentially be added all as one. We're not going to vote until the very end, so we're.
Speaker 8: Looking at me again.
Speaker 1: I'm just let's go over here.
Speaker 6: Time Jordan's Jordan's cord that's closer to him is actually, who.
Speaker 2: Do you want to talk about first? I want to talk about someone not on the list.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 2: Let's talk Kirk Cousins. Let's just talk a little.
Speaker 5: I figured I thought, I think okay.
Speaker 1: Also, you guys are what making alliance as ahead of time paranoid one of my two Okay, so what does that mean, two guys.
Speaker 7: That you think you were present voting? You were present for this conversation.
Speaker 2: This is not voting until the end.
Speaker 6: But what I'm saying, and I'm lobbing for Kirk Change, okay, because you know, we come to your trap, we take your trap. And that's exactly what he's going to do to somebody on this island. Kirko Change is lit up the bucks twice in the past three weeks, lit them up. But now he's got Kyle pitchrolling. He's got this offense functioning like they thought of. He stands in the pocket, he doesn't move. But you look at Kirko's numbers. Number he's a third ranked quarterback. He's got twenty one hundred yards seven point eight yards attempt, that's one of the best in the NFL. He's got the two to one touchdown to interception ratio. But the last few weeks the swag surfer. He's a surfer. He can surf.
Speaker 3: Onto the island. Oh god, oh my god, Kirko Change has been doing it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I mean his mobility is about the size of a surfboard. Though we are looking at Kirk's scramble. If you're watching on YouTube, you could measure it, you know how next Gens that's usually does like the twenty two miles an hour. They actually did that with like a sun dial with Kirkin screen. They just put it upside down and that's how it was a special.
Speaker 7: Next right, He's been really good against the Bucks and then with who on defense exactly eight touchdowns against the Bucks, six touchdowns against everybody else.
Speaker 5: Oh good stat.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: If he was only playing the Bucks, he'd definitely be on it. Now some of the overall stats, like he is sixth and completion percentage over expected, he's like, he's that's he's on the island in all these advanced stats where he's about eight to tenth or eleventh. And there is something that I consider when it comes to quarterback island, which is who is defining the position right now, there is who matters tangible and everyone could be different. It's it's a combination. Who's playing the best, But who's it this season? And I gotta say stationary Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 3: He's it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't tell the story of this season without Kirk Cousins. He is a huge figure. Maybe it's all these primetime games or whatever, but he's given us a lot of entertainment. He's in the mix, he's making it good, he's making it happen. So I'm not sure how I feel. That's what I say.
Speaker 2: I don't have a plan.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how I feel, but he deserves strong consideration.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I I go back and forth because again, he is such a statue and they clearly have had to manipulate a bunch of what they do on offense in order to That.
Speaker 1: Sort of makes it more impressive in a weird way, that that he's still that productive, Like he's like Aaron Rodgers, except actually good.
Speaker 7: I don't know, because they're actually they're just asking him to get you know, some of these quick passes and particularly efficient passes, and he's made some tough throws. Don't get me wrong, but he's just like get the ball into the hands of the playmakers. This is the same argument that you potentially were knocking Rock Purty for at the very beginning of this sea and time.
Speaker 3: In the name of Matthew Stafford and Dak.
Speaker 5: Prescott against them. No, no, trust me on that.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm bringing up a point, like.
Speaker 1: It's just pushbackers with you on that is, if you made a reel of all these quarterbacks ten best throws of the year, Kirk Cousins would be, you're the top of the best. He has spun it this year, like at a really impressive level. That reminded me like, this guy is a natural throw of the field because it's all he has left. So it's not all checkdowns Like let's suck Baker then, because actually I kind of put these two guys next to each other a little bit, okay, because they've just played each other a couple of times.
Speaker 2: The numbers are crazy, leading the league in touchdown pass close twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're actually also first in passing success rate. Now, I thought last week was instructive. Everything is ten yards or less, and when it's over that, it gets nasty and some of the advanced numbers sixteenth in QBR nineteenth and completion percentage over expected. It says, maybe it's more about the offense and the receivers than it is about Baker.
Speaker 4: What do you think about the Baker cr I mean, I think Baker just based on his numbers, he has a shot to be on there.
Speaker 8: But I don't know who who would you take off staff?
Speaker 3: We're gonna we're gonna go. We're going through all of them.
Speaker 6: But what you just said, it may be more about the offense negative. If you watch Bucks games, Baker has driven, yeah, a lot of this offense.
Speaker 5: He pushes the ball.
Speaker 3: He has been fantastic.
Speaker 8: He's got that moxie.
Speaker 3: He's got that moxie.
Speaker 6: But I mean, I'm just saying, with what they've tried to do, whether it be quick game, whether he's pushing the ball down the field, he is the reason why their offense is working now four.
Speaker 1: Weeks I disagree. I think it's the offensive line and the receivers and that.
Speaker 6: They don't have any I totally beg you watch That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Four weeks or not, Baker's on, Baker's not going to be on.
Speaker 6: I kind of feel like we'll talk about in the moment, like he's going to be a past tense guy in a couple of weeks just because of the lack of weapons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I agree with you on that, Steve, because and that's why I would put if you have Kirk and Baker clustered together, That's why I would assent put Kirk, because it's like it's like it's like a star sign or a horoscope. It's Kirk Cousins ascending, you know, and Baker Mayfield descending or someone's moon is in sagittarius or whatever, and so I don't know, and so but I but I do think that's that's what I one of the things that I factored in, not necessarily projecting for the sake of projecting, but also who is catching fire at the right time, who is continuing to, you know, make these plays.
Speaker 5: Kirk Cousins. You cannot argue with that. Baker. I'm more skeptical now than I would have been two and.
Speaker 3: A half week.
Speaker 1: So to be fair, I don't want to be a victim of just last week Kirk. Kirk had a rough game against Seattle. That's just two weeks ago. But the fact that Baker team was Baker and Kirk went against each other twice.
Speaker 2: Split Yeah, against the Bucks and then everyone else.
Speaker 1: The fact that they went against each other though twice, and Kirk looked better and both of those matchups weren't thrown like head scratching interceptions in both of those matchups. Rather, Baker didn't the first time around, he did last time, and he's had two straight rights of that.
Speaker 2: That that to me gives in ed. Let's talk about one of the guys. How about I'm gonna throw one out.
Speaker 4: Real quick, because this would really change the dynamic of the island in general. If we put Aaron Rodgers on the island, the psychedelics that would happen on this island.
Speaker 8: Would be insane.
Speaker 2: Imagine the possibilities.
Speaker 4: You have all of these quarterbacks that should be on Quarterback Island, and then you bring in Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: It would be good for exactly Well, you're the producer.
Speaker 7: This is about the time you throw in a giant house twist, right, you drop some villain into the house house twist everyone.
Speaker 3: That's the rip Tide.
Speaker 1: You guys could use it today if you wanted we that would be amazing. If Rogers was on there and everyone was mad and as a riptidere's he's so the shaman for everyone. I don't think he's been as bad as people want to make us be. That said, he's either amazing or looking like he's forty six years old, like, and there's no one between, and there's too much of the forty six year old.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you how I'm voting right now. I'm not putting him on the island.
Speaker 7: Just because this is not a serious no no right for sure, but just when you when you yeah, for the sake of the conversation, you know, I think I just do think that, Like when you go out and get a quarterback like that, you expect them to consistently play at a level that elevates the entire roster, right, and that is the message that you're sending. And if you are a little st on the streakier side, if you also can't move, but you're not necessarily also elevating everybody else around you, whether it's from a personal like I mean, there's just been chaos over the last couple.
Speaker 4: Who we have the TNF preview coming up too, so like I mean, there's a ton to talk about with the Jets.
Speaker 1: Good, good point, Rogers. We'll bring him up for a vote later, but I think he's facing it up.
Speaker 6: Put the Colleen balloon out here. If we're going that way, Jamis would be the most fun person.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Yes, Jamis quoting eminem I can't.
Speaker 8: I just love everything?
Speaker 3: Yes, who is mate?
Speaker 1: Maybe he'll be here in four weeks we'll be talking about Russell Wilson and Jamis Winston.
Speaker 2: No, that would be perfect. What year is it? Let's talk.
Speaker 1: Let's talk Stafford, one of the guys that was on it right now, coming off his best game of the season. If he didn't have that performance on Thursday night, he would have a tough case. But you get your receivers back and you play better. And we thought he was worthy in the first four weeks, Like, like.
Speaker 6: My only issue with him, because remember I fought against him, had nothing to do with him necessarily. It's just the other guys. I thought we're playing better with him. That's the only argument I would make right now, you talk about the ascending players, I mean we we saw Matt Stafford do that Thursday night.
Speaker 3: He looked like, oh yeah, he got.
Speaker 4: A care package on the island with Pooka and.
Speaker 1: Cooper, right, is is QB island about projection though? Or is what you've done this season? And it can't just be.
Speaker 3: I, P and F. That's that's the argument.
Speaker 6: That's just like the hundred best players at twenty twenty five, we're not talking about past. We're talking about what's gonna happen. It's a projection or past. So you know, this is tough because there are there are three dudes who I think could really push to get on. That's why I think Matthew Stafford is still on the on the teeter totter.
Speaker 1: This Okay, it's gonna be close, and yet he does not farewell to PFF's overall grades, which in theory should remove like the surroundings, but doesn't. Really it's impossible to do twenty ninth, he's eleventh in QBR twenty fifth and completion percentage over expected.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: How about Darnold. He got on last time around. He's only played three games since. One was a win where he played terribly against the Jets in London where he really dragged them down. I thought he had a couple of plays and then there was a couple of losses where I don't think he was the problem. No, but he wasn't exactly. It wasn't necessarily the solution. Maybe not quarterback island worthy.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: I feel like he should still be on quarterback island and that he's being judged on his name and not his play.
Speaker 8: As Chris Wesseling would say, when you look.
Speaker 4: At his first four games, Darnold obviously completed sixty eight percent of his passes league high eleven touchdowns, three interceptions. He was throwing the ball downfield an average depth of target of.
Speaker 8: Eight point eight.
Speaker 4: But obviously then came the horror show in London against the Jets.
Speaker 2: They watched it.
Speaker 4: That was the worst game for him of the season. But the last two weeks he's completing seventy six percent of his passes, four hundred and ninety nine yards, three touchdowns, one interception. He's getting hit a ton and he's you're old, they're winning is what we're winning?
Speaker 3: What do your eyes tell you?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Like to me, it's like, if you're going to be on the island, you've got to be a difference maker. Is he a difference maker? Is he going up and down? What his surroundings are numbers why sixteenth and PFF twentieth over the last four weeks, thirteenth in QBR. He also doesn't throw the ball that much, which kind of matters to me, like guys who maybe have to do more twelfth and success rate fifteenth and epa. So what that would say is like he's sort of on the borderline despite a good situation, even statistic.
Speaker 7: You're reaching the part of the Sam Darnold gear. You've seen this sometimes with quarterbacks in the past, and there's no reason to think that he can't progress forward after sort of hitting a neutral zone a little bit with what he's doing right now. But you're reaching the part of it's not bad, but it's also not elevating. It's being elevated by and that's fine, especially in the middle portion of the year when it's the weather starts to change, when you start to figure things out after a couple of bad losses. Losing his left tackle when we talk about ascending or losing the left tackle is going to.
Speaker 3: Be really tough because they left that was really good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so but I think you're starting to see the version of Sam Darnald and you expected this to be coming. This is not a bad thing where Kevin ok the Kevin O'Connell factor, and leaning on the offensive coordinator and leaning on excuse me on the on the play caller and the game designer to and the playmakers around to now lift the quarterback just a little bit higher where he's not, like I said, not bad, but just sort of in that neutrality point, that that sort of middle median zone where you're not necessarily the one elevating the team around you.
Speaker 6: I like that argument because so many other people I think should be on put him at a risk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing point.
Speaker 1: And sometimes the stats I think Sam Sam Donald's passing, like basic passing that's always look a little better. It's kind of like Russell wasn't because the things he struggles with are he take he fumbles the ball, He takes too many sacks like that safety that should have been called the penalty. He should have not been holding the ball so long on that play. That was bad quarterback. And he's just sitting back there. That twenty yard sack that he took earlier in that Thursday was a good Those don't show up in the box scores necessarily. How about Jalen Hurts your guy in Philly coming off one of his best games.
Speaker 2: Of his career. Yeah, that was a great season.
Speaker 1: Thrown over the middle of the field and on design runs like the two things that you get on him for, and he played great. They're playing better overall. I mean, I think he deserves that game conversation.
Speaker 4: He had his highest passer rating, three rushing touchdowns. He has five rushing touchdowns in the last two games. The Eagles have won three straight games, and he's dealing with Nick Sirianni on top of all of them.
Speaker 8: So I think that he deserves a ticket to the Island.
Speaker 7: Question for the group, how many games per sample size are in our quarterback Island selections?
Speaker 2: Oh, the whole season.
Speaker 5: But when we were talking.
Speaker 7: About how we section out splits things like that, it's we go four games at a time, right, So that's it's a hypothetical question.
Speaker 1: Since last time, I'm personally taking the whole season into account, but kind of recapping what's happened since last time and added to the mix.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, that was.
Speaker 7: A hypothetical, but I'm using it to say over the last three games, not just the last game, but the last three games have been some of the best Jalen Hurts football that we've seen in a while. He's third in EPA per dropback over the last three games, and he has nine touchdowns. He's forty two for fifty nine with no interceptions, seventy one point two percent complete completion percentage, and they have their run game going and he's managing some of the things that are necessary for them to have this balanced offense again despite some of.
Speaker 5: The circumstances that they went through earlier.
Speaker 7: So I would say, like, it's not just the one game that's spiking his case.
Speaker 5: I think it's three games.
Speaker 1: I pushed back a little because I think the two previous were not good Jalen Hurts. They were good statistically, but he's seeing the field and they are transitioning to a run first type.
Speaker 5: Of I think he was seeing it a little bit slow, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Slower right, not like open receivers and not taking it, and like, like, I have a feeling he didn't grade that well within the team in those couple games. I have a tough one with him because I like him a lot. He's coming off a good game, but I also see that he's maybe not the most important person in the happy.
Speaker 6: I'm with you on that, and that's that's why I'm like, he was great, you know, and having a j Brown back makes all of a difference. Right We're seeing these quarterbacks getting their number one receivers back Matthew Stafford and playing well. But I just coming off a great game. But the other two people in Philadelphia were still ready to run him out the door.
Speaker 8: No, not him.
Speaker 3: They were not loving it.
Speaker 4: I mean it was It was a lot of Sirianni. It was a lot of the coaching staff. That was a lot of the Kellen Moore in the play calling.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for Nick Sirianni to have this is it.
Speaker 1: This is the first week of the entire season where he can be like, yeah, that's the main story.
Speaker 7: On No.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: He's like like, no one's gonna make fun of my haircut anymore.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk. He's on the fence. If we pull enough people off, he gets on. Okay, I've got some other people.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dak is a guy we're not voting on right now. But I don't think I'm out of pocket to say, of all the guys who have been on, he's vulnerable.
Speaker 5: I think he's very vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Okay, explain anyone want to explain why you think he's vulnerable.
Speaker 6: I mean, what are they got going on? I mean, he hasn't been horrible, but we talk about difference makers. Yeah, yeah, again, not all that's on him. He's got Cede Lamb and.
Speaker 1: Exactly and the numbers, so I don't think he's playing well.
Speaker 2: I think you can.
Speaker 4: He has one game with a one hundred passer rating and the rest are sub ninety two.
Speaker 2: The numbers are brutal for him.
Speaker 1: Twenty sixth PFF, twenty third QBR, twenty eighth EPA per play, twenty ninth success rate, like.
Speaker 2: Not even in the zip code.
Speaker 1: Now, I think he's better than all that, but I do believe in Dak press got enough that he should be better than this.
Speaker 2: I think it's the worst he's played as a pro.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: I guess a couple of years ago he had some interceptions, but I think he was playing well and having some bad luck and making some mistakes.
Speaker 2: This time, it's just.
Speaker 7: I would sort of add to that point to being like, you can ask your quarterback if you are an above average to elite level quarterback, somewhere in that window or that that general tier. You can ask your quarterback to do a lot of things for you, and they did. And you saw he made the most of the situation earlier in the season. It's part of the reason why he's on the island in the first place. But if you take away this guy's defense and you continue to stall out and just like have a disgusting run game, it just doesn't move the ball. If you're not moving the ball, if you have no other weapons, if you have no other weapons, and then the guy you do have it's every week or so, it just depends. Is he a match for the scheme, what's going on with the scheme? If you have the owner on the radio calling out bad scheme and bad plays, if you have different things, you're taking so much away from this guy. You're asking him to be a superhero, and at some point you just hit a wall. You're probably you know what, I wouldn't be surprised. They're different quarterbacks, but I very different quarterbacks. But I wouldn't be surprised if at some point across the end of the stretch you also see Joe Burrow hit some kind of a wall. You're asking too much, just because these guys can do these things, doesn't mean they have to do or should have to do all of it. And you have to get him some help, whether wherever, on which side of the ball.
Speaker 5: Pick one.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's going to need a realtor soon. He's got a you know, a burgeoning family, and I think he's renting on quarterback island right.
Speaker 8: Now, gonna AIRBNBA.
Speaker 1: Maybe let's talk about someone we're not going to go deep into. I just want to give Trevor Lawrence some pop up having a nice couple of weeks. If he plays like he played the last three weeks for four more weeks in a row, we'll be talking him out of more in depth next time.
Speaker 2: On quarterback.
Speaker 3: If Brian Thomas is legit, now.
Speaker 1: He's not a risk. He's not getting on the island though. Now how about Kyler?
Speaker 6: Okay, I was banging for him last time, right, what's he done? They're playing better football. We're talking about as sending players. We're talking about quarterbacks uplifting everybody else. Everyone's jock riding him. Yes, I'm using that expression right now. Everybody's fantasy guy. Oh G, who's throwing him the ball? Who's making things happen with him, Marvin Harrison getting some things done.
Speaker 3: Kyler Murray.
Speaker 6: We can sit here and argue about all that when you look how Kyler Murray has been playing, running the ball, throwing the ball, getting this offense going. Guess who's guess who's in the hunt now for the NFC West.
Speaker 7: They're a top ten offense now, Yes, e P. Tyler, Greg and I were texting about this because we believed in the Cardinals offense as much as they've disappointed us and let us down and made some questionable decisions and play calls at certain points. When Kyler, to your point, is involved in the run surface, not necessarily designed runs, but when he gets involved gram in the run surface, this is a totally different team. Trey McBride being back, James Connor, some people believed in him the entire time. It just he When you have all of these elements mixed in and this and the play caller is making efficient sound decisions and personnel decisions in terms of the formations and the groupings, this is again a futuristic offense in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there would be a burgeoning gaming community on.
Speaker 3: Sounds, some psychedelics.
Speaker 5: Video games and mushrooms, Colleen in this island sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: I love that he's seventh in PFF. His like advanced passing metrics are all about borderline of what would be on the island somewhere, you know, depending on what you like, ninth to fourteenth, something like that. But then when you add in the rushing value, you add not a lot of negative plays, not like fumbles are interceptions. I think the biggest negative to him is I think sometimes their coordinator is like, can you just run the play that well? And that has some fluctuations, Like if we had this conversation a couple of weeks ago would be there's fluctuations. But we're coming off a game where he was spinning it against Miami and those look like the plays that were called really nice throws. There is something about the whole like defining the season to me. The fact that he's called his shot on about three or four long touchdowns forty yards out. Love that that gives him a little extra juice. Perdy hasn't had a lot of juice this year, and maybe we didn't even maybe he could have been in the safe category, but been a little.
Speaker 2: Rickety over the last four weeks.
Speaker 1: So I just thought we'd we'd throw him out here, but a very solid I've got.
Speaker 3: Bad, I've got Brocks back here.
Speaker 6: He's the way the stuff he's done with with Jennings and the in and out cast receivers, and he's still he's still getting after it. We saw him run the ball. You added what'd you call it? The run surface value?
Speaker 3: Jordan. I look this dude, this dude.
Speaker 6: We could put him on any of these teams that the other guys in the Quarterback Island are doing.
Speaker 3: And he's playing ball.
Speaker 2: I gotta stay.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I don't think And you saw this, you know when he fell on the on the potential. I mean he got hit so hard. He should have fumbled that ball on Sunday night. And was it Monday night, Sunday night, Monday night against the time one base Time has no meaning anymore, especially on the island. No, but he like the the they already have made enough, you know, whether it is. And my colleague Marcus Thompson wrote about this over the Athletic Great Legendary Columnist, and he's commenting on the fact that, you know, Rock Purty hasn't played at an elite level the entire time. He's made the most of a complete opposite ethos that this team had to play with. Whether it was the beginning of the year then he had some rough spots, but wasn't necessarily like a detriment or pulling back the team.
Speaker 2: The Machafe game was the one negative.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: The mistakes and the self inflicted wounds are coming from elsewhere in the house for the most part, right, And so even when there was an opportunity for him to really look lost when letting go that football on the sack, he didn't.
Speaker 5: He held on.
Speaker 7: And so what Marcus was saying is he's sort of embodying how they have to just like gut through some of this stuff and mitigate the huge issues until they can get this thing clicking back. And he's been the right quarterback for them to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's here's an interesting question.
Speaker 6: You know, because you know Brock Parties gonna be the next up to make the sixty million dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's a wise investment?
Speaker 6: Because I do, Because to your point, Jordan, he's not the guy who's going to pull you back now, is he necessarily going to be the guy to lead you to the Promised Land.
Speaker 3: Maybe think things things have to work all round.
Speaker 4: Him would do that because after what he went through before Free Lance.
Speaker 6: I'm just kind of to me, that's a that's as safe as an investment as you can make.
Speaker 3: And give him Block Party that money.
Speaker 1: I think so too. And and he's young. It's tricky, but he already took him to the promised Land. As far as I'm concerned, he was in spots where he needed touchdown after touchdown after touchdown. The NFC Championship got it, needed scores on drive after driving after driving, the Super Bowl got it. His defense let him down like it is what it is, otherwise he'd be the Super Bowl champion. He he did pull things off the table against the Chiefs, one of the worst games I've ever seen brock pre But there's been eight games here, yeah, in the season, and I agree with everything else that we're being said. So fifth in PFF actually higher this year in PFF than he was a year ago, ninth in QBR. Over all, the numbers are pretty good for Brocky.
Speaker 3: And you didn't have him as a lock. You didn't have.
Speaker 2: Maybe he should have been a lock. I just respect. I just figured we should talk about him, Jordan.
Speaker 1: Jordan Love is an almost impossible guy to talk about right now, because it is impossible.
Speaker 4: You're right, people, people want to go on vacation with a groin injury, right Noboddy defeats the whole purpose.
Speaker 5: Somehow our two sentences connected with each other.
Speaker 3: Oh God, I was so ready.
Speaker 5: Greig's ready to be done with us.
Speaker 2: No, I love it, you know, I love groin injuries.
Speaker 3: He clearly have never had one, because I've had one.
Speaker 1: Greg, So I was ready to make a case for Love, you know, to make a case for him to be on the island. Then he got hurt halfway through the game, and it' said this other just in tween because he might end up playing this week and it ends up being fine. But already he had a weird case for quarterback island, because I think you're having to look past some of the numbers to me and trust what your eyes are, which is that he is the most confident quarterback in the league. He is making some of the toughest throws week after week after week, and style points count a little bit. Yeah, It's like, it's not like the numbers are bad. He's got fifteen touchdowns, and he missed a couple of games, and and he's completing passes down the field like he's very aesthetically pleasing to one.
Speaker 6: But how good of a coach is Matt Laflor and that offensive staff because Malik Willis. Malik Willis has come in, won a game, came in that game and bold.
Speaker 7: Yeah, nine touchdowns, five interceptions over the last four game. Obviously some of its injury whatever, but like I do worry about the injury. I kind of neutralized him on this particular in this conversation to kill people for injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not neutered him neutralized right, Ye, here we go.
Speaker 4: It's been interesting against the Blitz though, Like under pressure, he's I mean, obviously every quarterback is different under pressure, but he's thirty first in EPA when being Blitz this season, so, I mean, he's slightly better than Deshaun Watson, but worse than Gardner Minshew.
Speaker 1: Some of the advanced numbers aren't great for him. I think he does better on the eye test.
Speaker 6: Lan's numbers, though, what about your boy Gino? Okay, okay, the yard is totals are beautiful, but getting in the end zone, I.
Speaker 7: Hope he's doing okay. He's just been hit a lot, a lot of sunburns.
Speaker 2: He has been hit a lot.
Speaker 1: Like he's number one in you know, positive vp A like plus one positive, he's first in positive EPA, which which was the one I mentioned earlier, which is like it accounts for the situation. How many positive plays have you had considering the situation that you're in, And he's first in the league and that other stuff not so great like EPA for play eleventh, sixteenth in PFF over the last four like eleventh over our fourteenth in QUBR. He's on that borderline. My argument would be would be the ultimate just kind of watching him on a play to play basis, he feels like one of the best twelve quarterbacks in Yeah.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 6: I just do that out there because the stats don't. I mean, besides, I think he's borderline.
Speaker 1: Even as a fan, I don't think he's like definitely on there.
Speaker 7: I think he's kind of where we were talking about Stafford last time, and some of it was situational contact context. That stat that you mentioned, like, let's dig into that a little bit better, because what that stat actually says is you are lifting this much despite the fact that in so many other major categories of this offense, you are at the floor. So because it factors in situational context. So it's basically saying, here's the level of hero ball you are playing. And I think that that's important to factor in because first of all, that's not sustainable and you could see that they're starting to really struggle. But second of all, even though he's still playing, I think like a top twelve quarterback to our point in the NFL four weeks from now, let's check on it again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, can I throw one out there that's a total wild card that I would love that.
Speaker 2: I thought were almost out of it. I have one.
Speaker 3: What about bon Nicks?
Speaker 5: Okay, oh you watched a lot of Bonis, haven't you.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's not he's not dazzling, but we're talking about uplifting your team. I think he is in the he's in the next time category discussion.
Speaker 1: No, he's in the get a nice little shout out from Steve Wish at minute fifty five. Yees, you know, but not way to push it really, Like, I mean, he played, he played well against Carolina. He's passing the test of like, are you an NFL quarterback or not. He is, which is to me like, if you're protective, can you deliver?
Speaker 2: And he is.
Speaker 5: But we're talking about great against the worst defense.
Speaker 3: What about Sean Payton that take? Yeah, we knew that offense we're playing wasn't very good.
Speaker 2: Played better. There's there's there's something there. I don't know what it is that there's something there.
Speaker 5: He doesn't say stuff like that without a reason.
Speaker 1: Justin Herbert is the last I think name we got to talk about were in depth before.
Speaker 8: Justin Herbert. He's lost at sea is he?
Speaker 5: You know, he's built.
Speaker 7: He's floating on his own little Herbie Island and hoping for a strong current to float him all the way up to Quarterback Island.
Speaker 5: And I think he can do it.
Speaker 4: It goes back to the point that you made weeks ago that Jim Harball is hiding his best aspect, which is his arm.
Speaker 8: He has a cannon.
Speaker 4: He's twenty second in the league in attempts.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, it's getting better though. It's we're trending.
Speaker 1: We're trending better the last since the bye.
Speaker 2: I want to see him on the island. Yeah, I would love for him to be there.
Speaker 1: I look at the numbers and it's like, oh wow, he only has one interception.
Speaker 2: That's very Justin Herbert.
Speaker 1: He is combining being careful with I think the last three weeks starting to be aggressive. When he had that run and he was galloping out there like he was in the Kentucky Derby or something, I was like, ooh, I haven't seen that out of Justin Herbert for a while. And he's ripping some greate one on one Froz Pete. I think now he is passing the eye test and and the production test.
Speaker 3: And they're in the playoffs, They're in the thick. They're in the thick of it.
Speaker 1: It's a snaff side of right now too when we're talking quarterback Island, and for what it's worth, I broke it down to just weeks five through eight. He only played three of those games because there's a bye week in there. He is PFF's number one quarterback over that time. Because you just don't see negative plays out of him right now.
Speaker 3: Just you know he's got more pass attempts at Jared Golf.
Speaker 5: Really, that's the thing well talk about last week.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean that's absolutely skewed the numbers last week that's how crazy.
Speaker 5: We loved that box score so much.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, he hasn't but here's the thing.
Speaker 6: He hasn't played in every game, and he plays in a run centric golfen yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And and he's been really let down by his receivers. We mentioned this two weeks ago. His receivers dropped seven passes. Seven passes, I mean, and that was a game that like nobody in the world watched, but it was he was spinning it. And so this he's playing like we know him to play. He's sort of doing it kind of like on Herbie Island, like in a vacuum.
Speaker 5: And I do think that at the beginning.
Speaker 7: Of the year, we do have to act in the fact that they were, and they have since alluded to this a few times publicly, they were playing a very different style of offense in part to help mitigate the injury and the pain that he's dealing with. So I do think, again, if we're going to talk about, first of all, sample size, which I thought.
Speaker 5: We weren't doing that, but where are we are?
Speaker 3: And I'm just.
Speaker 5: Kidding, I want to do it.
Speaker 3: For Herbert's climate. Climbing the coconut tree.
Speaker 2: Where they're playing right now.
Speaker 7: I just I'm trying to rally up Greg, but just in terms of the sample size of actually healthy Herbert playing in an iteration of this offense that is sort of developing toward what it's going to be, and factoring at the beginning you were dealing with the injury.
Speaker 5: Like I'm ready to see Herbert on the island.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is right.
Speaker 6: So this goes back when I covered the Dolphins and Jimmy Johnson first took over. He has Dan Marino, all these great receivers, and he runs the ball like you've got a dude who can do it, who can fling it, who can do all those great things.
Speaker 3: But you're giving it to kream Abdul Jabbar the running back.
Speaker 6: Version, instead of throwing it up to all the other guys. That's kind of what's going on with Herbert in a competitor like hell, man, if.
Speaker 7: If you had let Marina throw it, maybe Stafford wouldn't have passed him this last week.
Speaker 5: I got it, I might have to take him off the island, so I had to give him that.
Speaker 1: Let know, let's talk Stafford, Let's talk Herbert. There's about ten guys we're not gonna talk Rogers.
Speaker 2: We kind of did it. We're not going to vote on Lawrence.
Speaker 1: We're not going to vote on Caleb Williams or Russell Wilson or your.
Speaker 2: Guy Bo Nicks. We got about ten guys to vote on. Let's do that.
Speaker 7: After the d.
Speaker 2: We are back on Quarterback Island.
Speaker 3: Let's get it.
Speaker 2: We've reached the voting portion of the program.
Speaker 1: Your hand is getting Steve White, That's what I was giving away his moves between the breaks, saying he only is kicking two people off. He's letting two people on before Jordan's wondering if it's possible that the size of Quarterback Island could be reduced at some point.
Speaker 5: You still haven't answered the question.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 1: We are voting for twelve members of Quarterback Island, and we've already put seven on. It sounded like brock Purty didn't really need a vote, So I guess I'll vote on Rock just to make this quick, and we all make sure you vote out loud, because this is the rock audio medium. Yes, yes, okay, So we now have four spots left on the island. You know, we've got the guys that were on there before, and I think we're going to vote on Herbert Love, Hurt's cousins, Baker Kyler are all there. So that's a total of ten guys for four spots. And I'll start with Dak Prescott because that one seemed like of all the guys that were on the islandland, he was in the most amount of trouble.
Speaker 2: It's nothing personal.
Speaker 8: That a clean sweep.
Speaker 2: Colleen, what is your answer?
Speaker 8: No, he's out, he's got to go.
Speaker 3: It's not the place gaming either.
Speaker 5: And we want better for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we want more for you. It was a great eight week run or whatever it was. You you were there in the preseason.
Speaker 4: I hope you don't get replaced by another NFC East quarterback.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, something tells me that you're not there. I feel like a four is hidden. Interesting, interesting, all right, so you know where he's Dak is is gone.
Speaker 3: We now ding Dingy's coming for Dad.
Speaker 1: We now have nine guys for those four spots. I was pleasantly surprised by how encouraging you guys were about Gino. I thought you didn't really like me or necessarily like Gino that much.
Speaker 2: I'm going to bring up Gino for vote.
Speaker 1: I'm saying yes, it wasn't the best four week stretch. I don't think he did enough to get kicked off the island. I think he's one of the twelve best quarterbacks in the NFL. I vote yes, Steve, he's a he's a keeper.
Speaker 6: I told you I only got two guys coming off in Geno.
Speaker 3: Ain't one? Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, Jordan rod Rieg, whoop's wrong? One? She votes yes, yes, but.
Speaker 5: We'll see by the okay's.
Speaker 3: It's a soft yes wolf.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm going yes.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so Gino is watching. We have nine eyes on him.
Speaker 1: Nine men on the island because I wasn't feeling a lot of appreciation here for the groin injury. Let's talk Jordan Love. Does anyone want to vote yes on Jordan Love? Jordan Love? We have a no from Steve Weiss. No, remember to speak your vote out there.
Speaker 3: I have a no. I have a no. You narrated by no, So I left no.
Speaker 1: Thanks God, Okay, I gotta know, well, you know what he was. He was closer closer for me.
Speaker 6: You guys, you got are on the line there and the switcheroo.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we're getting into some really interesting So.
Speaker 3: Now we're so now we're saying there's nine guys.
Speaker 1: So far, there are nine guys on although things could change, you could always try to kick someone off in theory, these votes aren't aren't forever. Let's talk. Let's do Baker because that's another one. Did him versus Cousin's debate was interesting. I thought Cousins kind of kicked him off alone. And I vote no for Baker Mayfield.
Speaker 7: I vote no because I think that this is going to be really significant, losing his favorite pass catchers. Unfortunately. Hate to see that. His statistics are incredible. I don't want to take that away from him at all, but I'm seeing a quarterback who potentially is some trouble.
Speaker 6: I'm giving a super soft no. I mean, I'm closed, but it's a super soft no. Like if there's like I said, I've only got ten or two spots open, he's not one of the two, but if a third comes open, I'm changing my vote.
Speaker 4: Wow, Yes, because I thought that we were doing this BA based on what they did up until this point.
Speaker 2: What is project It's absolutely up to you.
Speaker 4: It's like the top one exactly all right, So I lose out, but I wish he was on.
Speaker 7: I think he could use your riptide to pull Absolutely.
Speaker 1: It might be too early to stand for fla baby. Okay, so Baker has been voted a no.
Speaker 2: While while we're on the Baker is off topic.
Speaker 1: This is this is a borderline guy here, Kirk Cousins. We have three spots here after Purty and Gino available on the island. Man who wants to make a case.
Speaker 6: I'm going, yes, I'm swag surfing this one all the way to the island. Kirk Cousins. Yeah, say he's he's killing Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Guess what he's playing who's in front of them? Kirk Cousins is going to be ascending. I'm using Jordan's argument.
Speaker 3: He's going to continue to keep rocking and rolling their offense, hitting the stride. They don't play Tampa anymore.
Speaker 7: I do have one question for Kis Steve, because Steve, I love that argument, I really do.
Speaker 5: But I have one question for you.
Speaker 7: Who do you think could ascend to greater heights over this next stretch. Kirk Cousins or healthy Matthew Stafford with Pukakua and Cooper Cup. That's where I'm weighing in my head right now I'm.
Speaker 6: Going Kirk Cousins because of the division that he plays in. I do think it's going to be just a murderer's row in the NFC West. Nothing is taking me off of Perko Chains. That's a good point, Kerko Chains.
Speaker 4: Allie, I'm gonna know right now. For Kirk, I'm sorry, they got it. I just I don't love the way that these games have played out that aren't against Tampa Bay.
Speaker 7: Steve, I loved your argument, but my point is too. I think that because I have him weighed between putting Stafford on or off, and I think a healthy Stafford and a healthy Cooper and a healthy Pooka and a returning offensive line getting all their guys back, who protected Stafford the best that they have all year, allowed sack against the Raiders and the Vikings.
Speaker 5: I think that that reaches.
Speaker 7: Greater heights with Stafford than Kirk Cousins potentially reaches.
Speaker 5: That's just that's my only argument.
Speaker 1: I'm struggling with those two against each other. But I also think a quarterback's got to be more than just their surroundings. There's an undefinable thing about kirk o this year that he's just part of part of our lives in a way that's meaningful to me. I'm voting yes. I'm voting yes. We're split right now on Kirk Cousins. That is going to be tabled just the second.
Speaker 3: We're not kicking anybody off except Dak then the way it's.
Speaker 1: Going exactly, we can keep talking, all right, We'll go on talk about who could get kicked off.
Speaker 2: How about Sam Darnold.
Speaker 5: Are we voting to kick him off?
Speaker 2: Or you're either voting yes or no? Is he on the island?
Speaker 3: That's all?
Speaker 2: Is he on the island? That's that's the question. Is he on the island?
Speaker 5: Is he on the island?
Speaker 7: I put you on the yes because I'm thinking of the advice using myself.
Speaker 4: I'm still a Sam Darnald girl, so I'm gonna say yes.
Speaker 1: So you're saying the deciding vote comes down to me for Sam Donald.
Speaker 8: Oh no, poetic.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to do this, buddy. You're great.
Speaker 1: You're in the top fifteen right now, right on the borderline.
Speaker 3: You were waiting for this.
Speaker 2: You were gonna use your if you didn't get perfect.
Speaker 3: Tim hard he fought to keep him off. He gone.
Speaker 1: So it's a review. Jordan Love's not making it. Baker's not making it. Sam Donald is kicked off the island. Have two open spots. Dak Prescott is kicked off the island. We haven't confirmed everyone that was on the island before. I guess let's talk about who could jump onto the island. Okay, let's talk about Justin Herbert. Does anyone want to make a case for Justin Herbert going onto the island? If so, speak now and explain why.
Speaker 8: I only have one spot right now.
Speaker 2: This other dude, Jordan has a yes going to ham for other guys have a yes.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, like I said before, I think he is playing the best football among the best football many quarterback in the NFL. The way he's throwing the ball, the way that he can move, he has his feet and his legs back under him. They are it has been hit or miss in terms of actual production, but they are establishing some steadiness around him. I like Justin Herbert throwing the ball better than almost anybody. I like Justin Herbert throwing the ball better than almost anybody in the NFL.
Speaker 1: I'm voting yes, I'm Justin Herbert. I think he's clearly one of the best ten quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: In the league right now. He was injured early in the season.
Speaker 3: He was a guy.
Speaker 1: If he wasn't injured in training camp, I think it would have been on there to begin with. Just eye test and numbers. It's all happening for my guy, Herbo. We're split right now on Justin Herbert and Kirk Cousins. Perty's on as well? What range Gino's on as the tenth Who is the guy you want on so badly?
Speaker 3: Kyler? Kyler Cayler Murray.
Speaker 2: Kyler is your Yes.
Speaker 3: I've been fighting.
Speaker 6: This is like my third time going to bat for Kyler mur really is, and I am not like coming down.
Speaker 5: Don't think about them. Just make eye contact with me.
Speaker 7: If you give me Stafford over Cousins, I'll give you Kyler done.
Speaker 5: Wow, we're waking out.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 2: What do we not even matter?
Speaker 8: Alliance was made?
Speaker 3: God, we're playing dirty.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's one spot because we just it. They don't get anybody off. Who says the two of you can just put Kyler or Stafford on? What if we had both as no votes.
Speaker 5: Because we split the vote last time, didn't.
Speaker 2: We We haven't even voted.
Speaker 6: There's only there's only the staff there's really only one other guy that to vote.
Speaker 3: He's holding it. I know exactly who who you're gonna do.
Speaker 1: This is good though, you want just put our cards out. Let's put our cards.
Speaker 8: Jalen Hurts goes in. Dak Prescott goes.
Speaker 3: Out, Dak Prescott, who got da Donald out? Already?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: Donald? Okay?
Speaker 6: So yeah, yes you're voting. Are we kicking the third out? Are we saying that ten are definitely on?
Speaker 2: Let's talk Matthew Stafford, because if you're saying.
Speaker 3: I give you.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, what I mean I already did.
Speaker 2: We have to make see if if a spot is open?
Speaker 5: Right yeah, oh, let's recalculate.
Speaker 6: Because I could, I could, I could hear a good Jalen argument if he kicks.
Speaker 2: Let's hear about Jalen Hurts. Well, I already gave you okay, so who would to kick off?
Speaker 1: Then it's very it's very close to me. I'm a no on Jalen Hurts. It's just a numbers game. When I do the numbers for me, prety in Gino are eight and nine.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: That leaves two players were split on Herbert and Cousins. It also leaves Stafford and Kyler. Jalen Hurts is in that mix as well. So there's three spots and there's five guys for me. Those five guys Herbert, Cousins, Stafford, Kyler, and Hurts, only three can go on. Hurts is last out of those five guys. So I vote no on Jalen Hurts just to eliminate him.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, just sorry, just real quick though, I'm not I'm not gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna cast my vote yet.
Speaker 6: Okay, because us Jalen Hurts, then over Kyler or Herbert.
Speaker 2: M hm, you have him over all.
Speaker 3: We made the alliance on her.
Speaker 5: Well, on Stafford. We made the alliance and Kyler.
Speaker 8: So I keep track of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's like Herbert and Jalen.
Speaker 7: So I have Herbert, Stafford and Murray, which would, unfortunately I don't want to do this, leave Jalen Hurts the odd man out, and I did argue for his over there.
Speaker 4: Do you actually believe that Kyler should go on ahead of Jalen Hurts or are you just doing it for the alliance for Stafford to stay.
Speaker 3: I would take I would take Kyler over the other two.
Speaker 7: Okay, I think I think Kyler Kyle the ceiling that he has showed as a quarterback that he's higher than Jalen's currently.
Speaker 8: Yes, Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Would take Jalen over Herbert.
Speaker 5: Okay, I like that. Yeah, but alliancing are you making?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I'm just saying I would.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if we're weighing, If we're weighing them out.
Speaker 2: Let's vote on Jalen Hurts yes or no.
Speaker 3: We got we got to get a third off.
Speaker 2: So we're split again, Steve, Yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, so so so the tie stays to the incumbent.
Speaker 1: Then we have we have five different players. We have not officially voted here on Matthew Stafford either. You guys made an alliance and the two of you said yes, but we hadn't heard from Colleen and I, oh no, he's still on.
Speaker 2: So if he is still.
Speaker 1: On according to Colleen, then on the island, so is Gino, so is Purty. We're going to have two new members of Quarterback Island. It is very exciting, Kirk o Chains. Even though I believed in you, Kirk, Steve Weisch believed in you.
Speaker 3: You're gone.
Speaker 1: The alliances, Uh, they went against you. Frankly, you couldn't play the game well enough, we have two spots for three guys. This is hard, justin Herbert Kyler, Murray in Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 8: That's really tough.
Speaker 1: Wait, two spots for three two spots for three guys. So I think we should all just write down on who we don't want on, and if there's a majority, pen I will give it to you. I'm going to write down one name.
Speaker 8: So you're you're writing who who you.
Speaker 1: Don't want to make it, who you don't think deserves to make it.
Speaker 2: You can write it down.
Speaker 3: That deserves a numbers game. It's a number of games. We're in the savagery, savagery.
Speaker 8: Who shouldn't go on?
Speaker 2: Who shouldn't go on? Out of the three people? It's because all three of them are really good. Same thing with Koh, he got left off.
Speaker 8: I thought he think you're going to be able to see this on Ken.
Speaker 2: No you won't.
Speaker 1: We're going to just say it out loud. But it's for our purposes what we're split. I am saying that Jalen Hurts does not make it onto the Island. I still care about you as a person, Colleen. I know Colleen says Kyler does not make it. I'm saying Herbert, and so the deciding vote, it's up to Jordan Rodger, who is not making it onto quarterback Island.
Speaker 7: I already made my case for I think Justin Herbert's playing the best football of many quarterbacks, top five quarterbacks for sure.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 7: I agree with you on Kyler Luriy and I will not back out of Hyland integrity. Oh, I'm sorry, it's a numbers game. I love how he's playing right now. But Colleen, it's Jalen.
Speaker 2: Hurt, Jalen hurt. I'm sorry, make it.
Speaker 5: It pains me. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, I'll see you guys in four weeks.
Speaker 2: The alliance was strong.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to Kyler Murray and Justin Herber and I said it.
Speaker 2: I was going into this not knowing.
Speaker 3: How it was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I did not think Kyler Murray was making onto this island.
Speaker 3: Id se Kirk couldn't make it, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's always same here.
Speaker 1: I thought Kirk was gonna make it on It's it's always it's always the little guys.
Speaker 2: You didn't see coming. He just scampered his way and popped out of that water.
Speaker 3: I've been fighting for Kirk. Kyler's in stay one.
Speaker 2: The short happy for you and also for me. Look, I hope I'm happy for everyone here. I hope Colleen that you're so glad you guys are happy your friendship with Jordans can survive this.
Speaker 3: She's not staying late to get to do with the Germany flight made.
Speaker 2: Let's just recap again. Who is on Quarterback Island?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Many of the same guys from before.
Speaker 1: Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, let's play that music, Jadeen Daniels, Way to go, jade Daniels a rookie, Jared got Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Rock Purty and Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford. You survived and then let's welcome to the island. In addition to save Stroud who has been there all along, Justin Herbert and Kyler Murray.
Speaker 2: The Quarterback Island got younger the.
Speaker 6: NFC West though NFC West is like quartered the big block on the island for now.
Speaker 1: For now, talk about an alliance they could get together the entire.
Speaker 6: Jamis Black Oor comment Jamis and Black Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who crazyland? Will it be in in four weeks time?
Speaker 1: Will will Jalen Hurts make that case, will Kirko chains prove Sjordan and Colleen were shortsighted and not believing in them.
Speaker 2: Who knows, Maybe.
Speaker 1: Caleb starts playing better. Could be anyone, could be Baker proving us back. It could be Dak getting his revenge. But that's it for Quarterback Island. I'm looking forward to the great. It was great until the part of the show where I completely lost track of what was happening.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 2: That was a tough moment. Let's take a quick.
Speaker 1: Break and we'll come back with Thursday Night Football. You might have to do Quarterback Island last from now on, doing something after that. Jets, the emotions are raw, the you know, friendships have been tested.
Speaker 3: It's it's just a comedown.
Speaker 1: It's time of the show for R T and F preview presented by Amazon Video.
Speaker 3: It's Texans Jets.
Speaker 1: It's the ultimate come down of the twenty twenty four season the Jets. But look their schedule. Everyone keeps saying it opens up. It gets easy after this game. At least you're catching the Texans at the right time. No Nico Collins, no Stefan Diggs in this matchup. The Jets are at home, Like what gets you going. Halloween Night, Texans Jets.
Speaker 2: Let's see how much time do we have to talk about? What's whatever you want? Whatever you want?
Speaker 4: All right, I'll try to condense it. The offense has rhythm like Eli Manning dancing on Manning. The plays are coming in late. They can't line up in time. Three timeouts in the first quarter. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: You've never seen that before?
Speaker 4: The connection with DeVante Adams and Aaron Rodgers were still waiting on that. The defense gave up the game winning drive to the Patriots. Backup quarterback missed kicks so much so that there's a kicking competition before Thursday Night Football. None of the changes that they have made have made a difference, and they right now all three phases of the game seem to be contributing.
Speaker 8: So it's like a total team effort.
Speaker 4: For these losses, I just feel like they're all break no gas.
Speaker 7: Ooh wrapped it up with a bow.
Speaker 1: I love that it's a short week, Thursday night football team on the road. It's a tough spot. The Texans have certainly not been playing the type of football they want to play, but they've been finding ways to win in a lot of ways. These two teams I think aren't that far apart in terms of what they're getting done, certainly on offense, and yet one team and I think the Texans deserve a lot of credit for this. It's almost like they're not getting the style points they want and the offensive line's not playing well.
Speaker 2: Come CJ.
Speaker 1: Stroud's numbers aren't crazy, and I'm thinking this team won what five games combined over two seasons just two years ago, and yet we're complaining about style points. They're learning how to win when they're not playing their best, and their defense is very consistent than week after week, and they're going to get after Aaron Rodgers in this game.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I can you know, Oh my god, the.
Speaker 5: Most I'm worrying.
Speaker 7: You're starting to see some of the movement issues we identified immediately in the season with the usage of pistol with the Falcons offense. They were only aligning out of pistol to try to add some illusion into their run game, some dimension. You're seeing the Jets almost quadruple. I mean, it was a very it was like three percent rate before, but now you're seeing them in the pistol a little bit more. Makes me worry about how Aaron Rodgers is actually feeling in terms of we already knew that he was hurting on the leg, and you know he just wasn't When he gets crunched sometimes he looks really painful to get up. But to me, that doesn't necessarily shift my thoughts about the play caller or the scheme. It more so to me is a little bit of a tell of like where Aaron Rodgers is at physically and how he's feeling. And you're kind of feeling that energy. I mean, he seems like it's in a lot of pain.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you talk about the play callers. I mean he switched something up in the middle of the season. Todd Downing's had opportunities before didn't work, like with the Raiders and another stifle. I mean, so they're still getting used to a lot of this stuff. It's the chaos like you talked about. I mean, no surprise, this is how it typically goes with the Jets, who had I think at this time last year two more wins without Aaron, right, I think, So I may be wrong, but I'm gonna go to the Texas point thing.
Speaker 3: And you talked about their defense.
Speaker 6: Look, they played last week without you know, as he's al Shire, they've got, you know, up the spine of the defense of some of their players. Yeah, so if he comes back, so thank you for pronouncing that right too, because so many people butchered Toto.
Speaker 3: Well done. You see the apostrophe, you know the Polynesian viols.
Speaker 2: They're still trying to get that invite to the Polynesian Bowl.
Speaker 3: So you're you're invited.
Speaker 6: You're invited, brother, But it's look, it's a situation where they they're gonna get after Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: They know exactly what to do.
Speaker 6: They see some of the chaos, like you talked about plays coming in late whatever, you know what, just run up tempo, hurry up offense or solutions to a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 3: But again, having Jalen Peatree and having.
Speaker 6: Some of the players that they have at all three levels of that defense is a great thing. And speaking of defense, Jeff Allbrick, the new internetad coach, came out and basically said, yes, saus Gardner's tackling needs to be a little bit better, So let's just add a little bit more of the positivity around there by you know, having to maybe be a truth Teller, right, but arguably your best defensive player just keeps getting better.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and calling out your best defensive player like that. I mean it is a message to him, certainly, and you watch the tape on that, but like it's also a message to the entire defense. Next gen stats mind blowing stat here the Jets of miss eighty eight tackles this season tied for the fourth most, and that's not good. Yeah, and they allow four and a half extra yards per mistackle this season.
Speaker 3: Oh gee, that's nothing when you've got Ji Damian Pierce.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So it is a good matchup in terms of the Texans interior offensive line against the Houston Texans front. Just collectively they're playing disastrously bad football, but you actually are going to be able to move the ball against the Jets conversely and mitigate some of that stuff because they're having issues in space and also against the run.
Speaker 1: In general, the Jets edg rushers aren't very good at aut Quinn Williams hasn't been great this season, but he's coming off his best game of the season. He was dominant in that Patriots game. You know, talk about like having what did you say about Eli.
Speaker 3: Rhythm?
Speaker 4: I mean, I love that he leans into it. He owns it though. He's so funny.
Speaker 2: I mean, this really is.
Speaker 8: I love him.
Speaker 1: This Texans like line like talk about no rhythm. They're one of the worst coach teams in terms of their line play.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 1: I've seen to do his blitz and it's getting through, it's getting home like Tunsil's even having so much Like there's just miscommunications and it's like quick pressure. And so if there's a team that could wake up the Jets pass rush, it would be this.
Speaker 3: On the other side of.
Speaker 1: The Texans will say maybe this is a rare team we can actually block and the vibes are certainly better.
Speaker 2: They're winning. I trust the Texans.
Speaker 3: Thursday night, the Jets come on.
Speaker 1: Jalen Peetre has been playing well, Nickel, I got to take the Texans in this game as anyone.
Speaker 3: You think so, but I Thursday night's the wildcard for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm picking the Texans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm picking the Textans. It is hard to go with the Jets.
Speaker 2: They would be two and seven.
Speaker 1: Something tells me they would like they're gonna stay part of the season, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Two and seven. You're you're kind of no longer part of the.
Speaker 3: Season and well in that division.
Speaker 6: But what I'm saying talk about Davante as all the other wide receivers are super.
Speaker 3: Happy, like Mary Cooper, we're talking about de Hopp.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're right, Fonte Adam, just.
Speaker 1: Like come on, yeah, it is absolutely a ridiculous thing sometimes joining your friends again, like, yeah, it doesn't always work.
Speaker 2: The Jets are favorite in this You found out the Jets.
Speaker 3: On that note.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's it for the t n F preview presented by Prime Video. Be sure to watch the Houston Texans take on the New York Jets this Thursday on Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Thank you for.
Speaker 1: Joining us on and sometimes contentious, always entertained.
Speaker 8: Anyone hurts needs to be on that island.
Speaker 1: Sometimes confusing trip to quarterback Island. We'll be back the Thursday preview show Steve Weisch, Patrick Claybonn and myself And yeah, when the left side of the table is ganging up on Colleen Wolf, you know you know football is back.