Speaker 1: Call It What It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camille Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey call It Crew, and welcome to the newest episode of Call It Short and Sweet. Today we are digging in because hello, we've been all seeing these stories go viral over and over again. We're digging into unhinged airplane etiquette slash behavior slash shenanigans. This subject is in the news all the time. I feel like weekly there is a story like the one we are about to read to you.
Speaker 2: And if not like this one, it's definitely happened on airplane. Airplanes. There's so many stories about that happens on airplanes.
Speaker 1: I know for real. Okay, when you read it.
Speaker 2: So, a twenty one year old woman whose boyfriend recently got a great paying job decided to surprise her and treat her to a first class ticket for her trip. She was very excited about it because she had never flown first class before, and shortly after takeoff, a woman approached her that was the flight attendant and asked her to switch seats with someone who had booked two tickets in first class. But somehow they had gotten messed up and she was separated from her son, and the son ended up in an economy and she was in first class and asked this young woman if she would please trade seats. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: It does make sense. Why isn't the mom giving him the first class seat? If you wanted to experience it.
Speaker 2: You wanted to be I guess she wanted to be with him.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's little. I'm sorry, you gotta I mean, first off, do I feel the mom? Yes, you book two seats in first class, you're excited about it. Now the airlines screwed up, and we all know, I'm sorry, airlines scrubs things all the time. This is where you get to the front desk before you get on the flight and you're like, what the heck? Can I get some sort of aird? Like what? How can you make this up to me? Because this is what I booked? And now you've screwed it up, right, and you have the conversation with the airline.
Speaker 2: Here's my question in this scenario, why wouldn't this woman given the situation because she wants to be with her son. She wants to sit with her son, right, ideally, that's the goal. Why wouldn't she trade her first class ticket for the economy ticket next to her son. I mean, if she wants to be next to her son, Oh yeah, if that's the goal, then why wouldn't she trade her seat with the person that was stating next to him in economy.
Speaker 1: Well, because I don't think that's the goal here. I do think she wants to say for both of them to sit in first class. That's gonna happen in two seconds, Like, raise your hand if you'd like to sit in first class like I'm in, I'm in by the toilets and economy, I'm like, yes, please, I'm running down that. There's gonna be a very easy way to fix that, right. She wants her son to have the experience. This is super entitled. Obviously it's crazy.
Speaker 2: But also I think if we're gonna call it what it is, and I'm a little fired up, like call it what it is, do the right thing, Do the right thing. Don't ask someone to give up something that they're super excited about for you in your in this in this situation, like you give up your seat and you goes next to your son, if that's what's the most important to you, So I'm gonna call it what it is.
Speaker 1: It is selfish, super selfish. Is are there any scenarios where you think that you should you may should maybe consider giving up your seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have given up my seat. I honestly can't think of a time that I haven't given up my seat. And every time that I did, it made sense. It was so that, you know, people who were traveling together could sit next to each other. And I was in a situation where it was no it was of no import to me because I was traveling alone and I was happy to do that. And I even did it like if I like a window and I was traded for an aisle in the situation, I've sort of been like, I don't know what goes around comes around, and I would give that up in that situation.
Speaker 1: Would you draw the line at a middle seat? So that is a tough one, I know, because no one wants the middle, No one wants a middle trade.
Speaker 2: No one wants the middle. So in my particular life, we go very high low in our family. We are either you know, I'm either flying for work and I'm in you know, first class or business class, or we're traveling you know, party of six. On this one particular time, I was flying alone with the three girls, and Josie was probably four or five years old, and they messed up all the seats and they had us scattered. Even though we was there was just one mom and three kids, they had us completely scattered. So we get on the plane. I'm like, we're going to figure it out on the plane, and I figure out a way for or even Poppy to be next to each other. But then I was I was like, someone has to be next to Josie, and it's got to be me. So I go to the woman who's on the aisle. I've got the window in the middle, and no, sorry, sorry, sorry. So I go to the woman who is sitting in a seat that's an aisle. That would make it so that Josie and I could sit next to other, but I can only trade her for a middle but I'm a little desperate. I think it's Josie was like four, so it seemed weird to have her be alone in an aisle. And I think she was looking at me like you absolutely canot leave me under any circumstance. And I asked the woman and she looked at me.
Speaker 1: But here was it was?
Speaker 2: It was the delivery. She didn't look at me and think, oh, I'm torn, I feel really bad. Blah blah blah. She took she didn't take out her air pods. She looked up, she listened to me. She wouldn't take out of air pods. And when I finished, she didn't even take a beat.
Speaker 1: And said no.
Speaker 2: And it was the way she said it.
Speaker 1: She was just like not nice, and it sucked. It really sucked. Someone ended up treating ah.
Speaker 2: I went into the middle seat next to her and I was, I was, I was full of revenge and I am. I pretty much got up to go to the bathroom forty five times and made her move her little laptop with her little you know, laptops ray up and down forty five times, or you do this.
Speaker 1: You're like, okay, well, this is Josie. She needs these snacks and this is how you press play on her iPad. But you gotta skip through this scene here, and it's like enjoy, enjoy, my four year old very tricky, I do think, because this has happened to me too in some of these scenarios. It's not that someone has not cared to book seats together. We've just seen this where so many flights got canceled. Recently, your flight gets canceled, your flight gets pushed, you have to make the connection. Now you're booked onto another flight with your family, you're all over the place. I think if you're if it's not a huge deal to you, If that's not like you're a lucky chair, you know, and you can have a parent and a little kid together. I do think like, at least think about it. At least just think about it for a second. I think it's good karma. Although there are people listening that will be like, hell no, not my problem, and I hear you. I think if it's a window for a window, or an aisle for an aisle, or even a middle for a middle, like, what's the big deal? That's my opinion. Do I think it's a big deal when you start to do the class thing? Yeah, because you know it's you know, it's a first class seat and it's an economy seat. Like we've all I mean, it's a first class seat and it's an economy seat. Those are different experiences on a plane, and someone might not want to give that up.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and they're not just attached to an experiential value. It's it's a monetary value. So in this case, for this woman whose boyfriend bought her the seat, that was it costs more money, and it was it was it was a treat.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't even think it matters if it's like a tree. You know, maybe you're on a business trip for the hundredth time and you're in first class, like it's you know, you got to talk to the airline about that. And I don't know why an air host us what do you call them? In the attendant is glaring, you know, help reunite the kids together in economy, offer up that first class ticket. And I love that. This woman, though, is like my son will appreciate this experience more than you, Like, what do you know? I know little Bobby is too and he needs his gam we are and are you talking about maybe she will.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it also, you really have a thing with Bobby's I do have another airplane story that I saw on TikTok and it was about a woman who was maybe like nine months pregnant.
Speaker 1: She had a seat in economy. She saw that one of the seats in first class was open, and she went to the flight attendant and was like, hey, no, one's sitting in that seat. Can I be well, I guess upgraded is the term, right, Like, can I can I take that seat? The flight attendant said no, Why don't know everyone in first class is like, just give her the seat? Still said no. Eventually someone ended up giving her their first class seat and taking her as back an economy. So my question is here, and I don't understand this because I already know your answer. I've seen this before on flights when there are seats open in other classes that are empty, why aren't you filling them? Like? Why aren't? Like it doesn't if I paid for a first class seat and then I saw someone a seat empty and then someone take that seat that had paid for an economy ticket or something like that, I wouldn't stand up and be like, excuse me, and I'm just checking, don't they Like I would not care. I don't desperately need that seat to stay open for the flight because I've paid the extra money for first class.
Speaker 2: I think they're probably worried about mutiny, like if one person just took Like that's why they try and take care of all that stuff at the gate, right, Like don't you see people where they get called up and they get upgraded. I mean there's the because there probably shouldn't be empty seats in first class. They should just fill those, but they don't. I know, but they can't just have people like coming up from economy and plopping down there.
Speaker 1: I don't think, well, I'm not talking about a PLoP. I'm talking about a commerce. Well. No, I'm not just saying you know, I'm not saying no. I'm not saying like Jan's strolling up and she's like this looks comfy, I'll take one. A No, I'm saying like, like, I don't know why they don't discreetly maybe go at if they see someone like.
Speaker 2: Sneaky Sally sits down.
Speaker 1: If Jan couldn't get it done, maybe.
Speaker 2: Sneaky Sally she just slyly.
Speaker 1: See Kristen Wig when she's like help me, I bore. I isn't there a isn't there a system here where you get that seat? Maybe I don't think they should be left open, Jessica, you on the mall to be left open. I don't really care. I mean, I'm like I do, I don't really care if.
Speaker 2: They're open, if they're filled, fine, whatever. I just find I'm very uncomfortable. I'm very uncomfortable when people get into disagreements on a plane. I'm not a terribly claustrophobic person in all ways, but on planes, I can get a little claustrophobic. And there's something about disagreements on a plane that make me feel very claustrophobic, because what the fuck, Like, where are you gonna go?
Speaker 1: There's nowhere to.
Speaker 2: You know, figure it out if you will.
Speaker 1: Have you been on a plane where shit's gone down a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten into it where there were some harsh words. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. My husband was on a plane where he sat next to this was terrible. He sat next to a man that was an acquaintance that you know, we his wife and his family, but not close. And he gets Christopher gets onto the flight and the guy is drunk, like before takeoff, and he proceeds to get louder and sort of like more just uninhibited, I guess, yeah, and he fully gropes the flight attendant, Yeah, like a hand under somewhere I don't know where. He didn't see the whole thing, and the flight attendant went away, and then when she came back, she came back with reinforcements and they kicked him off the plane. Like, he straight up got ejected from the plane, likely in the air.
Speaker 1: They hadn't take it off, Okay. I was like, what button is that? You're just through the roof? I mean, I support it, but like, is there a parachute?
Speaker 2: And wold before they took off? They came on and they took him off. But I mean, how horrible number one that someone would do that, and number two, what terrible luck that we knew.
Speaker 1: Him well not anymore and well he can bye.
Speaker 2: We never liked him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, did you see the guy that asked to use the bathroom? Have you seen this? This guy on the plane? This has gone viral. It'sky on the plane asked if he could use the bathroom. I had not taken off yet, but they were doing the fastened seat belt signs or maybe it had taken off and it was I don't know, but the seat belt sign was on and they said, you know, they don't like you to get up and use the bathroom. He gets up anyway, he undoes his pants, takes out the old dingo yep, and peace right in front of whoever it is was around him on the floor and what's gone viral. You're not gonna want to look this up because it's your use our photos that other passengers have taken of. Like I mean, it's been out, the ding dong's been blurred out, but the peace Stream is in view in these pictures and he just peed on the floor and absolutely got arrested after. Yes, people, I think I don't know what it is about planes, but I feel like people get unhinged. There's something about maybe maybe it's you know, there's kind of the culture of like you get to your you know, it doesn't matter if it's like six in the morning, you're like, I'll have a mimosa or five. It's like there's the drinking culture before you get on the flight, and then it's like you're stuckle together and maybe your flight's been delayed and you're frustrated. But there's something about it's like a pressure cooker situation where people get.
Speaker 2: Unhinged, unhinged, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And I've definitely been with people who with the kids, especially because you're so aware of it. But like some lady was really losing your shit, and it was she was on the phone. Honestly, I didn't hear the other person's side, but her side. It was just they were screaming at each other and all the explatives, and I mean I was like, yeah, there mean a lot of earmuffs, a lot of.
Speaker 1: Covering of ears, a lot. Okay, I do have one more story. This one's a little bit juicy. This is this one also went viral on a plane. Guy on a flight recently sat next to some chick strikes up a very loud conversation, clearly married, and is hitting on the lady next to him. Okay, is this in fact? I want to know from our listeners, is this okay to do? This is a scenario. The guy gets on a flight, talks to the chick next to him, is married, but is talking very loud and clearly starts the conversation of hey, we're flirting. Da da da dah. Gives enough information about himself that he could be id'd. Talks about how once they get off the flight they're gonna hook up, they're gonna go and clearly it's an affair in the making. In fact, I think at one point maybe they went to the bathroom together. Anyway, the woman a few seats in front take some pictures put them on the web and it's like, is this your dude, because your husband, who is this person is hitting and is full on ready to have an affair whenever he lands in wherever it was. My question is is if you hear an affair in the making on a plane, do you feel like it's your duty to expose it? Now? Would I do it? No? Because you know, like I would say hell Mary and hope that lady finds out. But is it right?
Speaker 2: What's the end of the story. Did she find Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was plasted all over the web and in two seconds, of course that wife was like, this is my husband, Thank you so much. Did not know that that affair was about to happen? Wow. My point is is that these are the kind of crazy shenanigans going down on flights. You got people peeing, You've got people having it, starting affairs loudly groping, I mean disgusting. You got people asking to you know, I'm gonna sit on your lap and in this because I love this seat so much and I need to have it. Forty seven B. My question, I guess my question is for the call that crew with this episode, because we've really gotten into it airplane etiquette. Have you been on a flight that has been completely unhinged? Hear us in the comments. We want to hear this and what happened.