Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spofford, joined as always by the one and only Weston had Kowitz. We're coming to you, Hear from our studios at lambeau Field, to talk about Wes the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. It was a wild and crazy three days. I'll start by asking have you recovered? Are you all right?
Speaker 2: I think so. It's always interesting And you were talking about this little bit on Monday. You Sunday was not. I didn't get much accomplished on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Nope, me neither.
Speaker 2: Well a couple a little later, I ended up taking a good, like two hour nap as well, and then I am not a good napper to begin with. So then you kind of get back into the flow of things. And yesterday went fine, and then today has been like difficult to get rolling again. But we're here, We're excited, and uh yeah, eleven more draft picks coming into the Green Bay Packers fold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, well, as you said, it was eleven picks, starting with offensive lineman Jordan Morgan in the first round. And I have to say this because I'm normally not right about anything. But I did say on our last show before the draft, I predicted the Packers would have eleven picks because it would be a combination of trade trades up and trades down, which ended up being correct. And then I said, if Brian Gudakum sat and picked in the first round and did not trade, it would be he would sit and pick an offensive lineman, and I ended up being right on that count as well. So I just have to say that because usually I'm like totally wrong. But of the eleven picks, three offensive lineman, three safeties, two linebackers, plus a running back, a quarterback, and a corner back. Your first impression of this draft class as a collective and what it means for the twenty twenty four Green Bay Packer.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna steer it back really quickly if I can to your point about Morgan in the first round, because once again we saw Brian Goodkuin's take three offensive linemen in a draft. That's something that he's been very interesting with the way he's approached this where there was back to back years consecutive years where he took three. Last year he took none.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for good reason.
Speaker 2: It was a well stocked cabinet. This year, you lose some guys, so in coomes this new draft class, and I give you credit. I give a lot of people credit. Obviously, I picked Amarus Mims.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, yeah, you were on offensive lineman as well, but.
Speaker 2: I think pound for pound, when you really break it down, mike tackle, whatever Morgan ends up playing in the pros, that's what made the most sense for Green Bay here. I think that's what gave you the biggest bang for your buck. It was interesting how it landed because Mims goes off the board at eighteen, Graham Barton is still there at twenty five. As it turned out, Geyton was also still available. I think he ended up going twenty nine. Tyler Goeiton. But the Packers really like Jordan Morgan. Like his size, they like the way he bounced back from the knee injury. He was a team leader. A common thread between this draft was team captains in Senior Bowl participation, and Morgan was a part of that. I think there's a lot to like about his forty time, the athleticism there, and then the one thing I'll kind of laugh at a little bit. You and I talked so much about Edger and Cooper and where is this guy going to be? What's his value going to be? Well, the answer was he was the forty fifth overall pick. And I think if you listen to what folks like Daniel Jeremiah said some of these other pundits, I think the Packers got Edger and Cooper, who I believe will be a really strong pro. I think he's gonna be a great guy to pair up with kway Walker. I think they got him for the maximum value there being able to move back a couple spots, get a couple more picks to have some trade equity with and some flexibility, and now you're getting the first off ball linebacker that was drafted in this draft class. I could go on forever about this thing, Mike, but I think with how they set the tone in the first two days, it reminded me a lot of last year, where you found depth, you found you address some needs, but I think you also found some really intriguing football players as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely to me. To me, the crux the heart of this draft was Friday, the second and third rounds, Because having four picks on Day two of the draft is a rarity. It just doesn't happen very often. And through a combination of circumstances, the the extra pick still left over from the Aaron Rodgers trade, and then the move up from the fifth round to the third round from the Rasul Douglas trade. That's why the Packers had two seconds and two thirds and taking away and taking nothing away from Jordan Morgan as the first round pick. We had talked about offensive line and all that, so that that did not surprise me. But to but what the Packers did on Friday night, I think, you know, get you get the number one, the first off ball linebacker taken in the draft. You also take the second safety off the board, who I believe, and I'll get into this a little bit more in a minute. I believe he had to be the number one safety on the Packers board. I firmly believe that. Then you add, excuse me, then you add a running back to the equation in the third round. Really really interesting prospect. I want to talk more about about Marshawn Lloyd as well. And then you double up at the off ball linebacker with uh, with Tyron Hopper from Missouri. That's uh, that's sort of the you know, the blood and guts of this draft to me is what the Packers did in rounds two and round three. When I look at try to look at things in the big picture, I think the Packers got a combination of potential, if not likely, immediate starters at some spots, but also then a lot of depth and competition and everything at at various other positions. To me, I think I think Edger and Cooper and Javon Bullard are odds on favorites to earn starting jobs. In Jeff Hafley's defense, that being said, I'm not ruling out Tyron Hopper in the Edger and Cooper, Isaiah McDuffie, Quay Walker that hole and how that's going to sort itself out. And I'm not ruling out either of the other two safeties with regard to Bullard and how and how maybe that shakes out for who will be the starting safety alongside Xavier McKinney the free agent acquisition, and maybe you have another starter in Jordan Morgan. He's going to start out, according to Matt Lafleur, at left tackle, which means we'll be competing with Rashid Walker, who had a heck of a year in twenty twenty three, but he's only started one year in the NFL. That's not to say that a guy like Jordan Morgan couldn't come in and beat him out. I think I don't think Rashid Walker is going to give up that spot very easily. I think he's gonna And that's exactly what the coaches and the scouts and everybody wants, is the competition to try to, you know, raise everybody's level of play. It's what worked for the Packers last year with the whole youth movement at wide receiver and at tight end. We saw how by the second half of the season all the competition for playing time and for targets and for everything else got the Packers offense to another level. And I think they're looking for the same thing at various positions with how they went about this draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and looking specifically at safety. Know no disrespect to what the Packers had at that position last year, but I think when you're looking at the draft picks that they ended up with here, you're just getting a different caliber of athlete in a lot of ways. And certainly Billard, it starts with him. I mean, it's a guy that was a starting nickel cornerback for Georgia when they won the National championship two interceptions of the National Championship Game defensive MVP. Then the next he plays on the back end. He talked about it as his conference call with reporters. He sees himself as a three position safety, a guy that can play in the slot. He can play both positions in the back end. A lot to like in terms of his speed, his athleticism. He's a Georgia bulldog, and I think everybody understands. I believe it was Pat Moore, who's Packer's scout, that even said that when you play for Kirby Smart, you're gonna tackle, You're going to have a tenacity. You don't get on the field in the SEC and those environments if you're not a competitor, if you're not giving it everything. And I think that's something to look forward to with him. But you know, Evan Williams is a guy and I joked about this and Insider Inbox. I don't know how he plays from a play style perspective, but when I close my eyes and listen to that conference call, I could have swore I was listening to Micah Hyde from ten years ago.
Speaker 1: It's a really good comparable because because yeah, just his just his voice, his demeanor as it came through over the phone with the reporters. I agree with you, there's a lot of Micah Hyde there.
Speaker 2: And you listen to safeties and they talk about communicators and guys that can relate, you know, to their Teammatesilliams, everything I've read in the subsequent days after, whether it was at Fresno State or whether it was at Oregon, it sounds like that's something that he did well. Now, the thing that's going to be interesting is both him and Bullard they look like more of the box safety types. Guys that have played a lot in the slot have that type of flexibility. Katano Ladeppo on the back end of it, the last safety they drafted, appears to be more of the back end type safety, and I think there's value in that as well. I mean, not that he can't play in the slot as well, but you know, six foot two, two hundred and fifteen pounds, I mean, this kid brings it. Had to work and cut his teeth for everything that he got at Oregon State. He was a walk on, very lightly recruited, waited three years. It looked like he was gonna get his opportunity. Then he gets hurt. Then he's a three year starter for them. And I don't know if you've got a chance to watch the play, but if you want to see what that kid's all about. His chase down tackle against Washington last year, where there is one guy that has any chance of being able to bring down the ball carry before the end zone, it's Katan and not only does he take him down, he strips him of the ball and they get the turnover.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Those are the extra effort plays when guys are going to that second level that you need. The Green Bay Packers they got Xavier McKinney. That's a huge get for them, top free agent safety on the market. But other than that, you only had Anthony Johnson Junior coming back a second year player with three hundred defensive snaps, and Zane Anderson who didn't see the field last year at safety. Benny Sap played a little bit on special teams, but overall you needed to find some answers for that. And when we talk about the strength of this draft, an off ball linebacker's piece of it. Offensive line is a piece of it, but no position needed more of an infusion of talent than safety, and Brian Goudikins came through.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. It's interesting because you know, the fans ask us a lout. Okay, so what's your biggest takeaway from this draft? And I can't believe that I've been here as long as I have and haven't really processed and articulated this as I'm about to, but couple things I discovered in this draft. It just it was sort of like this mini epiphany that I had. It's not just that the Packers like versatility in their players, whether you're talking the offensive lineman or the safety who can maybe play the slot corner. Excuse me. It's not just that they like guys who you know, who have been a captain, you know, a defensive captain and offensive captain, a team captain, whatever that means in college. But it's that they place they place a value on those types of things that is built into the draft board, you know. And that's why I said earlier, I think Javon Bullard was the number one safety on the Packers board. He was considered the number two or number three safety on most of the lists that you look at, well, how does he become the number one safety on the Packers board compared to those other guys, well, all the other you know, the draft analysts out there, and I'm not disparaging their work at all, but they're looking at Tyler Duman from Minnesota and Javon Bullard from Georgia, and they're looking at the tape of how they play safety and the things that they do, and a lot of people rated Tyler Nuban as the better safety. But the Packers end up putting a guy like Javon Bullard higher on their board because he can also play the nickel, he can play the slot corner. The versatility they probably view him, if not if not just a better player maybe period than the other safeties, but if all the other traits are close enough to being equal, the versatility is what puts a guy like Javon Bullard over the top, and you know, bumps him up the draft board.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: Five of these guys five of the Packers eleven draft picks, including Evan Williams, who was a captain at Fresno State before the transfer to Oregon. Five of these players were captains on their team in college that is part of the Packers draft grade and how how they build their board. And so it's not just some kind of a coincidence that the Packers are always drafting these versatile players and drafting guys who were captains on their college teams. It's part a it's a part of their evaluation process that is factored into the grade and factored into how they build the board. And it took me a lot of years before before it kind of hit me. It's not just some kind of coincidence. Right. The other thing I'll say too, because you mentioned the Senior Bowl this year in particular, eight of these eleven guys were at the Senior Bowl. Actually nine of them were, but one of them couldn't participate because he was he was dealing with an injury at the time. I believe that was Hopper from Missouri, if I'm not mistaken. But I started to think a little bit more and I asked a follow up question to a question to Brian Gudukunst on Saturday night with regard to the Senior Bowl. And I asked a follow up question again something that kind of hit me how important the Senior Bowl is as an evaluation tool because yes, these guys, they grind the tape, they watch everything on video, but all all you know, you're watching all the game video and that's that's when you know the coaches have game planned, when you've studied your opponent, et cetera, et cetera, And what you get at the Senior Bowl is Okay, here Jordan Morgan, here's one of the best edge rushers in the league in this draft class. Coming out. You're going one on one against him in practice. You haven't had a chance to study him, you haven't watched any film on him. You just got to go out there and play. That's what the Senior Bowl is. That's what the that week of practices is from an evaluation standpoint, and the Packers put a lot of stock in that in how those guys perform in that environment. I thought Brian Gudokun's comments on Saturday night really helped to explain, you know, what it is about the Senior Bowl that makes it different from an evaluation standpoint. So those are a lot of the things that were going through my head with her to this draft class and how it kind of comes together for me. Any other takeaways for you in sort of the collective set well, and the.
Speaker 2: Senior Bowl is an important tool too, And I've been learning this more and more over my time, actually, probably more with Packers dot Com than even when I was at the Prescazette. Because it's one thing for Jordan Morgan to be lining up against Leatu Latu, right and to see some of the top guys in the country. Then you go into the sixth round you have a guy like Travis Glover, who, my goodness, Michael. When you look in just terms of the makeup of a player, when a guy is six foot six, three hundred and twenty pounds, eighty four and a half inch wingspan, almost thirty five inch arms, he looks the part as a tackle. But he played at Georgia State, right, which is a program that's still relatively in its infancy in the Sun Belt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's only been around for about a dozen years or so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So being able for him to go to the Senior Bowl. I believe it was Jason Wildey who asked Brian about this. That's a huge marker for him being able to then match up against some of those top guys, and it's somebody that definitely improved his draft stock through that process as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Over went to the Hula Bowl as well. He was actually he was actually at two of the college All Star games, and that was big for him, as you said, as a smaller school guy. That's where you get. You line up against the Power five conference players and the evaluators get get an extra and even more important look at you.
Speaker 2: And then the three guys I just want to touch on quickly because we haven't mentioned their names yet. Jacob Mounk from Duke. I don't know if I've ever heard Brian as openly talk about a prospect that they legitimately had their eye on in that day three. You know, he mentioned there was numerous scouts in that room that really liked him. If you look at it, the kid has some really intriguing intangibles. He's six foot three, three hund ten pounds, runs a five nine forty, very strong. I believe he was the one that put up thirty one on the bench press, a five year starter. Very rare. And if I keep telling people, remember the ACC played basically throughout the COVID year. They didn't do a half season or we're going to cancel the season, and then they start playing no he played eleven year, eleven games in twenty twenty. Yeah, he started at He started at right guard predominantly. He started a season at right tackle when they needed him there. And in the Packers just overall loved the makeup of this kid in the.
Speaker 1: Fact, and they traded up for him.
Speaker 2: They traded up for him. Yeah, going up eights or forced five spots to get them. Yeah, seventh round. Very quickly, just to touch on this, Michael Pratt, I mean, there's nothing I can even say about this kid. Watch Tom Pelisero's profile on him. It's an eleven minute video that the NFL and NFL Network put together. People were asking Insider Inbox on Monday when I was writing it, like, hey, when is the feature coming on this guy? I would love to write something on Michael Pratt. But I've also I'm of that ILK that it's like if somebody else does it and does it better and just does it full bore, you just tip your cap to that person and let them have their story because the job that Tom did on that, I mean, just to give you quickly and a synopsis of this, one of his best friends growing up in high school played with them. The receiver to his quarterback. Guys that came from two different walks of life. Young man commits to Georgia Tech at the same time that pract commits the Tulane. Unfortunately, you know, the young man ended up, you know, committing suicide. And it's something that Michael has worn with him. He has the Belief seven tattoo on his inner bicep.
Speaker 1: Very uniform number seven as well, in honor of his high school teammate and friend.
Speaker 2: And then also lost his brother later on as well to an illness shortly after he had just become an uncle. His brother had just had a child. So a very interesting story and interesting look into him, and I'll tell you what for an eleven minute piece, it completely just zips right by. Then finally Kaylan King last pick for the Packers. This is a guy Michael that coming off of his true sophomore year at Penn State eighteen breakups twenty two breakups depending on who you talk to, three interceptions looked, you know, played incredible for the Nitney Lions. He comes back his junior year, it doesn't go as well. Only two passes defense this past season. He has this precipitous all down the draft boards ends up going two fifty five overall.
Speaker 1: And he chose to come out early. He could have stayed, but he chose to come out early and then ends up falling all the way to the seventh round when the Packers choose him with their eleventh and final pick at two fifty five.
Speaker 2: And this is why I've been getting into a fight with people on Twitter, because they're all, like, I made the comparison to Carrington Valentine and all these so called experts and scouts that evidently know everything about every seventh round pick that's ever been in the NFL, telling me, no, they're entirely different players. No, dude, what I'm saying is that when you have a guy like Valentine, who also came out a year early when he could have went back, and he also is going to probably be the youngest player on this team this year, King if he makes it, would be the youngest player on this team. I think he's going to play his entire season at twenty one years old. All of that being said, his conference call that he had with media and reporters afterwards incredibly emotional. You can tell this kid is motivated to show that he's still very much the player that he was a sophomore year. There was a forty time that I think also kind of factored into this thing, right in that four to six range. I think he reranted at his pro dain and it was four or five five, but still teams were a little bit cheapish there. But I'll tell you what he said, the Prema Packers are getting the most competitive guy in the country, and just listening to him talk about it, I believe him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's uh. I think that's going to be one to watch for sure, and I want to get back to that, but I will take care of some sponsor business here quickly. Serious XMNFO Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five and at Cousin Subs, we have something for everyone, like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl. Cousin Subs fifty plus years of better. A couple other things I wanted to get to. One. I want to ask you who, in your mind, for whatever reason, you can take in any direction you want. But who is the uh sorry, I'm having a little trouble with my screen here. Who is the most intriguing pick in this draft for you? I'll start because because to me, the guy that I'm just I'm most intrigued by is Marshaun Lloyd, the running back from USC. And I mean I didn't I most of the college football that I watch, admittedly is Big ten football because I'm a Scotts some Badgers fan, so I don't see the West coast. You know, guys a lot.
Speaker 2: You also go to bed relatively early.
Speaker 1: That that too, I'm getting old. But man, five t nine, two and twenty pounds, that's you know, that's the two hundred and twenty pounds is Josh Jacobs size. But he's a couple of inches shorter than Josh Jacobs. The you you just you look at the numbers. Now, granted, he's on a team with Caleb Williams, you know, the Heisman Trophy winner, number one pick in the draft, so there's a lot of focus on the passing game when you're defending USC. But seven point one one yards per carry as a number one running back, that definitely opens your eyes. And I actually asked him on the conference call. You know, so is that was the seven point one yards per carry? Is that more because of you know, the speed and elusiveness or is that more because of yards after contact? And I think he kind of wanted to get a message across by with the answer to the question because he immediately said, oh, it's yards after contact. You don't want I don't I don't want the first guy or even the second guy to be bringing me down. So I thought that was really interesting the way he answered that question. But also as a receiver out of the backfield, he averaged like seventeen yards per catch out of the backfield. So you're talking about you're talking about a potential home run hitter. You know, call him a call him a changeup or you know, the in between Josh Jacobs and AJ Dillon or whatever if you want to. But I'm really really intrigued by what a guy like Marshawn Lloyd might be able to do in Matt Lafleur's offense and what just you know, what they might dial up in terms of a package of plays that they go, Hey, this is where this guy can be really good. So let's use him this way and see what happens.
Speaker 2: And just to build on that, and I'll give you a different player in a second, But five two and twenty pounds and he runs a four four six, Yeah, and he put up twenty six bench reps. I believe it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was. Yeah, it was either twenty five or twenty six. But yeah, two hundred and twenty five pounds.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: That's that's close. That's close to what a lot of offensive linemen, defensive linemen do. They're in the mid to high twenties on the bench.
Speaker 2: With all due respect to Aaron Jones, who I don't think felt like he ran his best at his combine. But you know, Aaron, even though he put on a little bit more weight going into the draft than what he ended up playing at in Green Bay, he was probably closer to one to ninety than two twenty yeah by the time he got done here. But for sure, you know, Aaron I think was in that four or five six range. I mean, it just shows you how shifty and dynamic. Now you gotta do it on the field, you gotta do it on the grass. But the prospects that there's a reason why Daniel Jeremiah right after the Packers said he was his top, the top running back in this year's draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a fourth running back taken. Yeah, And Jeremiah did not hesitate for a second and said, this is the guy I believe is the top running back in the.
Speaker 2: Draft, and I think he's the perfect fit for Green Bay because you do have Josh Jacobs, you have aj Dylan. He's not going to be asked to come in and be the number one back right away. That's one of the things that people always talk so much about Aaron Jones and well, why didn't Mike play him more early on? Aaron Jones was still learning how to be a three down running back during those early times, Packers just weren't as deep at the position as they've been now the last three, four or five years. So incredibly excited to see where that takes us. You asked me, though, the guy that I'm most intrigued by, and I have to say it because it's the guy that I talk the most about of all the guys that Packers drafted in the pre draft process, and that's Eddrian Cooper. Yeah, because to me, kuay Walker went on Twitter right after they took him He's like, I'm looking forward to by new unning made out there. He's a little bit shorter than Quay. He actually ran one hundredth of a second faster than Clay in the forty Quay excuse me in the forty, and he is a downhill ceball hit ball linebacker. I am so excited to see that infusion into this defense because the line that I forget which analysts it was that mentioned it on the third day, but the Packers have basically remade the spine of their defense the second level and the third level, between the hashes, between the numbers. It's going to look different than it did last year. And I feel like somebody like Cooper can come in and compliment what Walker does well. He can compliment with Isaiah McDuffie does well. And then he had Tyrone Hopper and Eric Wilson some of these other guys into the mix, and suddenly you have a really intriguing position battle from a position where going into the weekend we were kind of looking at, Okay, well, exactly what do the Packers need to accomplish here to make sure that they have three inside linebackers with this switch to the.
Speaker 1: Fourth Yeah, and a couple of a couple of things. Also, as far as overall traits of this draft class, Brian Gudokunz talked, particularly on the defensive side, wanted to upgrade speed at various positions. And Cooper is a guy you know who's I think. Gutakun said, he has rare speed for the position, and John Eric Sullivan said, when you see his speed on the field, there's a whoa factor to it. So speed was definitely not just with Cooper but with other draft picks as well. That was definitely a high consideration. And as you mentioned, with a guy like Jacob Monk and some of these other guys, the experience level, I mean the number of guys in this draft class that have thirty plus forty plus college starts on their resume. Now, a guy like cal and King did come out early, came out of year early, didn't really play much as a true freshman, only played, you know, two seasons. He's he's one on the other end of the spectrum, not quite as much experience. But a lot of guys in this draft class have a high level of experience. Just a lot of pelts on the wall in terms of the number of games that they played at, you know, in the major college ranks. One thing that was a surprise to me when it was all said and done in this draft. But then we sort of found out why, maybe a little bit, why is that the Packers did not draft an edge rusher or somebody who would be a defensive end in Jeff Hafley's four to three scheme that the Packers are building here. But then we learned from Matt Lafleur and Brian Gudakuns on Saturday night, after all the picks were made, that kings Leyannigbari, whom we all thought had torn his ACL in the wild card playoff victory over Dallas back in January and would need reconstructive surgery. YadA, YadA, YadA. We've all seen it so often with acls. Kings Leyanningbari has not had reconstructive surgery. There is there there. He is on a rehab, a rehab and recovery path during which the Packers are still hoping that he can avoid surgery because his ACL issue was turned has been termed by Brian Gudukunston injury not necessarily a tear, so that in part at least helps explain maybe why Edge Rusher wasn't as urgent a need heading into twenty twenty four, because if Enigbari with an ACL in January, you're thinking he might be out all of twenty twenty four, if not most of the season before he can come back. Now there's a possibility, and again it's still only a possibility at this point, but if he avoids surgery, you're talking about a guy who can make a much bigger contribution in twenty twenty four than anybody thought a few months ago.
Speaker 2: I'm really happy this came up because honestly, and I mean, eventually we're going to talk about it, but I was having a hard time trying to explain any of this to people because one Enigbari looks fantastic in the final locker room. I mean, I'm not judging people and if they're able to play based on how they're he was walking around better than some of the people that weren't injured. Like after that game against San Francisco, because I was in the locker room, Mike, I you know, it's a jubilant time. The Packers had just beaten the Dallas Cowboys basically starched them. Yeah, and it was really hard seeing Kings Leanngbari, who went down late in that game with what everybody thought was an ACL injury. He had the towel over his head. He was inconsolable, just because you know, you know, you get injured at that part of the season, you might be looking at being on the sideline for the next year.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Not only all that, but then we see these photos from the first day of the offseason workouts where the guys are just doing strength and conditioning stuff on the field. This guy sprinting around hoops. I mean, he's he's doing all the leg work you would not expect to see from a guy that has an ACL injury.
Speaker 1: And yeah, when you're only three months three and a half months removed from an ACL injury.
Speaker 2: And lo and behold, the Packers again are holding out hope. Now, I don't know much about these things. I was always under the under the understanding that if you have an ACL injury, tear, whatever you wanna call it, you're gonna have to have surgery because the ligament doesn't just heal itself. MCL and LCL at PCL. So we'll wait and see how everything. I'm hoping good thoughts for him, but even more importantly Michael just looking at that position group as a whole. I'm not saying it's as deep body for body as like receiver is, but I felt like there was enough competition there already that that wasn't going to be a huge need for them, especially if I think Bari is available because a couple things along with that, I think they're very high on Brenton Cox Junior. He's going to get more opportunities this year to try to take that second year jump, former five star recruit at Georgia and Florida. You have Preston Smith back once again after he did some stuff with his contract, where Shaun Gary is healthy once again. I thought Lucas Vanes looked really good down the stretch last season, no doubt, and they're at the four to three now. I don't know what kind of stuff they're going to come up with here with some of these all these defensive linemen they have in how they could potentially factor into being an edge rusher in some things we'll see.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen something that Carl Brooks certainly did at Bowling Green. He lined up on the edge plenty. Obviously, different level of competition there, but.
Speaker 2: Hobie woulden't is listed one pound heavier than Lucas Van s Now. He did tell or Wayne Larvy during the pre draft, you know, Pepper rally that I think he put on twenty pounds and he certainly looks like it. But I just think there's a lot more flexibility that the Julius Peppers thing in twenty fourteen opened my eyes to all the possibilities. Other than maybe TJ. Slayton playing a nine tech, I nothing really would surprise me anymore with the defensive front. But all that being said, the other thing, Green Bay historically has liked to play around with the undrafted free agents there. Cox was the guy last year. You know, maybe there's another prospect there as well.
Speaker 1: And that's the other part, is not talking about those yet. We haven't haven't seen the official list from the communications department as far as the undrafted rookie class, But yeah, I mean, and I'm sure we'll talk about it again this summer as well. No matter how difficult it looks to make the Packers fifty three man roster, for whatever reason, there always seems to be somebody in that undrafted rookie class who emerges and proves to be a guy that you that they can't cut him because they know he's gonna get claimed and he's gonna go play somewhere else, so they keep him. They keep him, even though you would think that it would that that would just be such a hard road to go, but somebody always seems to succeed. That.
Speaker 2: Malik Keith made the roster at the most the hardest position to crack last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Yeah, there were so many guys.
Speaker 2: I mean, he beat out Bo Melton for a roster spot and then Bo was one of their starters down the stretch last season. It just shows you how far that competition goes. You were asking about it, A lot of people were asking Brian Gouducuntz about it. You always want to build the most competitive ninety man roster possible, But I do think there is a lot to be said for what happened at tight end and receiver specifically last year where the Packers just chalk those two rooms full of talent, full of young bodies, and whether it was injuries or some mid season adversity, whatever the reason was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, opportunities arose for so many guys for various reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were, you know, everybody was to get a crack at everything. So we'll see where this takes them. Now in the off season program, as everybody always talks about, they're in shorts in shirts right now. You don't have the contact football. We still have a long way to go. You have to be able to weather the injuries. But Michael, back to back really strong draft classes for the Green Bay Packers. They added eleven more picks to that and again hopes that you are filling out what hopes to be a championship caliber roster.
Speaker 1: Thirty five draft picks in three years. There are some there are some teams that don't draft thirty five guys in six years.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many of the Rams have drafted.
Speaker 1: In the last six years. I know exactly. We have to go look that up.
Speaker 2: I'll check that out for Thursday.
Speaker 1: Thirty five draft picks in three years. But it's how the Packers have gotten from where they were to where they are and trying to continue to move forward here with Jordan Love taking the reins.
Speaker 2: Last thing I'll mention, and maybe I want to talk about this on Thursday, but if we don't, to make sure I get this out there with the Packers making those trades and Minnesota moving up and the Bear is basically picking where they were. The Packers win in to Friday with more second and third round picks than the rest of the division combined, and went into the final two days of the draft with twelve picks or ten picks compared to twelve total for the for.
Speaker 1: The rest of the division. Yeah, the other three just.
Speaker 2: The way that. Again, everybody has their strategy. There's certain needs that these teams have, but the Green Bay Packers were not messing around and here we are. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well we've gone a little bit overtime again today, but that's okay because it was a busy three days at twelve sixty five. And we'll have more to talk about with this draft class on our next show, but for now, we'll call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team. We have all kinds of draft content out there. Go to our Draft Central page on Packers dot com. There's the stories, the videos, the highlights, the conference calls. Like it's all out there for you on Packers dot com. Be sure to check it out for wes I and Mike thank you for tuning in everybody, and we will see you next time.