Speaker 1: It's the Summer Olympics in Paris twenty twenty four. There's a swimmer competing that year, Hunter Armstrong, and Hunter does well so well actually one gold, one silver, that his swim sponsor comes to him with news.
Speaker 2: They told me while I was in Paris that they were going to extend my contract and even give me a raise.
Speaker 1: It's Hunter's second Olympics and his second gold medal he competed in Tokyo two and so after finding out about his extended contract and pay raise, he figures he's been a pro swimmer for long enough now, and with this new raise.
Speaker 2: I made a decision to move back to Ohio and build my life as an adult, and so I bought dogs, I bought a house. A month or two after I got back from Paris, I get a call from my agent saying that the company that I was working with decided that they are going to start doing more CrossFit, more like pickleball, and that this partner is not going to work with me anymore. So I went from a figure that was good enough to buy a house to zero in a minute.
Speaker 1: Whatever's going on with Hunter sponsor, with sports in general, it's not personal, but the reality is he needs the money. And something he's noticed ever since going pro, people can get a bit presumptuous about his job, like the money isn't the point.
Speaker 2: You're doing it for your country. You're doing it because you really want that gold. And I do love this sport, but it's my job. If my job is not paying, then I'm going to get a different job. I guess people don't really think about professional athletes being.
Speaker 1: You know, professional, and so Hunter started looking for other ways to make money, and that's when he found out about Enhanced.
Speaker 3: By the time he found out, his sponsor dropped him, Hunter had already bought that house in Ohio. In fact, the pool he was going to for his daily training was at Ohio State, where he'd gone to college.
Speaker 2: When I told them that I was even considering the enhanced games, I was told by a coach, I won't say which one. He does not want to see me there until I make a decision, and if that decision is enhanced, then he wants nothing to do with me.
Speaker 4: How did that make you feel.
Speaker 3: That's my co producer Lena, by the way, also on this.
Speaker 2: Call horrible, I mean this was this is my alma mater.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing about Hunter. Aside from being a pro athlete, he's nothing like any of the other Enhanced Games athletes you've met so far on this show.
Speaker 3: That's because even.
Speaker 1: Though Hunter was considering signing with the Enhanced Games, the thing he wasn't considering doing at all was doping.
Speaker 2: I'd had several sit downs, and I'm like, according to this, I'm not in violation of anything. We're good. But from his side, if I were to have a violation, if I were to get banned, it is against the rules as a coach to train a banned athlete.
Speaker 3: Last summer, about a month after Enhanced officially announced their plan to host the Games in Vegas. World Aquatics they're the folks in charge of clean swimming and diving at the international level, they added an amendment to their rule book about athlete eligibility.
Speaker 1: Obviously, if you're a swimmer caught doping, you can't compete in clean sport. For example, the Olympics. Doping equals no Olympics.
Speaker 2: We know this.
Speaker 3: What World Aquatics added to the equation are caveats about people benefiting financially from doping.
Speaker 1: But the new language in the rule book is written with some ambiguity enough so that Hunter and his lawyer think he's got a good case to make for competing and enhanced and remaining in the Olympics pipeline, having his cake and eating it too. Basically, Hunter's point is, as long as he's been a pro swimmer, he's always made himself available for drug testing, and he's never failed a drug test. So even if he participates in enhanced, so long as he remains available to world aquatics for drug tests, he should be able to do both.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to tell them where I am every hour of every day, and I've been doing that since twenty twenty and so since I never left their site, that's why we feel that I'm able to do both.
Speaker 1: For the record, nobody has officially told Hunter he's right on this one. Which is gonna say he hasn't asked. He's asked multiple organizations multiple times.
Speaker 2: They're all like, I can't give you an answer to that. I feel like nobody wants to be the guy to say it.
Speaker 3: Hunter is making a calculation, a career gamble. The way he sees it, he's basically out of options. At least this way he's getting paid if he wins his events at the Enhanced Games, he'll make one of the biggest paychecks of his life.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna ban me, then this is what I have to do to survive. So if I'm known for the rest of my life as a doper, it's fine. I wasn't still am not.
Speaker 1: There are indications that his argument's going to hold. For instance, I asked Hunter how soon after officially announcing he was going to swim for enhance, did drug tests show up at his front door.
Speaker 2: I kid you not. Next morning?
Speaker 1: Wow, say more about that.
Speaker 2: I hate him so much. They they show up at the most inconvenient times on purpose. I didn't get back to my house until probably three am. They showed up at like five or six.
Speaker 3: After his coach at Ohio State drew the line at Enhanced Hunter ended up at a local YMCA. He says, the pool there is not great.
Speaker 2: Plus I do feel horrible when I'm racing next to a sixty year old doing water aerobics. Why oh, I'm splashing them. It's very much like the kid who peaked in high school showing that he's better. Because these guys are just going for fun and to stay healthy, and I feel like their perspective is that I'm putting on a show, Like, hey, guys, look how fast I can swim.
Speaker 1: The thing is the guy can swim pretty fast. He's a backstroke specialist, and he kind of is putting on a show or he's preparing to anyway. This phone call you're hearing, it's from a couple months ago, the beginning of April.
Speaker 3: Now fast forward to the third week in Man to a giant and temporary sporting arena on the Las Vegas Strip, and for Hunter Armstrong and every other athlete competing at the Enhanced Games, it's showtime.
Speaker 1: From Kaleidoscope and iHeart Podcast. This is Superhuman. I'm your host, Chris GUYMMI.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sam Egan.
Speaker 1: We are in beautiful Las Vegas. It's almost eleven am and already hot as shit. It's the morning of May twenty fourth. Sam, Lena and I are an innuber headed to the Games. In anticipation of the day ahead. Lena and Sam are exchanging sun block for some reason. All three of us are wearing black pants, even though it's ninety five degrees out. Truth is, none of us know how to dress for the doping Olympics.
Speaker 3: Here we are. It's yeah, what are you saying? It's I mean, be honest, it looks not done hot. It's really hot.
Speaker 5: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 3: It's incredibly warm.
Speaker 1: We're gonna try and cool it on the weather commentary, but it's extremely important to keep in mind that for the entire day, at least one of us is always complaining about the heat.
Speaker 3: I really don't understand why enhances settled on outside in the desert as the best place to break multiple world records for sports?
Speaker 4: Can it be makeshift and state of the art at the same time, not a bad way to describe.
Speaker 3: I think what we're looking at.
Speaker 1: The layout of the actual competition area is pretty interesting. In the center of it is a four lane pool, there's a one hundred meter track, and then there's like a little elevated platform area where the weightlifters presumably are going to be lifting heavy stuff. A reminder, there aren't any normal fans at the games. You can't just like buy a ticket and fly here to see it. The entire event is invite only, and the venue is packed with influencers, family members of the athletes, businessmen cozying up to Enhanced.
Speaker 3: When we three are standing in line, waiting to be brought into the actual venue along with other members of the press. A guy walks up to us with two of his buddies. He says, hey, I sell peptides. You want to interview me?
Speaker 6: It's actually kind of cool, So.
Speaker 1: Finally we're let in. The side of the venue we're set up on is like if a cruise ship had just stocked there, and there are dozens of small, exposed state rooms overlooking the field and pool accept no walls. The Press is put in one of those rooms, which is nice in some ways. It's stocked with bottles of water and pellegrino. There's shade, electrical outlets, and a ton of food. Fancy food, apercheep cheeses served with cured meats and bean dips.
Speaker 3: Although because of the heat, the cheeses keep collapsing and melting into each other in the two or so minutes it takes the caterers to bring it to us, which makes it pretty hard to actually eat.
Speaker 1: The rest of the food is coursed out gaspacho with watermelon, mini lobster rolls, jumbo shrimp, cocktail.
Speaker 3: Wagu sliders, vegan broughtwurst, and polish sausages.
Speaker 1: Carnitas and al pastor. There's dim sum, shoe My dumplings, pork buns, and spicy wantons.
Speaker 3: What we lack in access access to the athletes, to the other attendees at the games, Enhanced makes up for it in catered food, which is to say a lot. At one point, Lena and I leave the press area to walk around a bit before the game starts, just to see who else is there, and we see a guy. Lena thinks she knows, so we walk up. It's all, well, I'm immediately one of Enhanced press team walks over to show us a wedding.
Speaker 7: I think I have to shut this down. I'm sorry, you're good, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: We stand around awkwardly for another ten or so minutes, the press team still watching us. Some of the guests the off limit ones. I recognize them. There's people who work out professionally on TikTok or YouTube, but we're told we're not supposed to talk to them.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm a Coachella huh.
Speaker 3: Finally, we just decided to go back to the press area where we're actually allowed to be.
Speaker 4: I thought that was Kate McKinnon.
Speaker 7: I don't know who Kate McKinnon is.
Speaker 4: Yes, you do. She was on sl for like ten years.
Speaker 3: I'm not an SNL guy.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm not an SNL girl.
Speaker 7: I'm just aware of the zeitgeist.
Speaker 3: As I put her around waiting for the games to start, I happen on an influencer that I reckon, and for whatever reason, he's game to talk to. Day Egan, Sammy Egan, Jesse and Jesse James West is a fitness content creator with a few million followers on Instagram. He's standing in the corner of the arena next to the blue carpet. You get it, like red carpet, but blue because that's enhanced color. Jesse's got a camera guy following him and he's holding a loaf mic. So you're obviously not coming from, like I guess, a journalism background. Your market, Okay, this influencers side. I think many journalistic things like this is. Jesse explains he's here for a story he's working on about the enhanced games, specifically about what a good idea it is.
Speaker 5: When I look for content, when I look for making viral videos. If someone was to say, hey, we have this idea, we can make you an awesome video. If we got a bunch of people that are on gear peptides or steroids to come in and compete, I'd be like, that is the best idea I've ever heard of. Like when it comes to putting your health first, it seems to be the trend, and it's a positive trend.
Speaker 3: Jesse stops for a second to pull out his phone. He says he's gonna enhanced co founder Christian Ingermyer see where he is. You got Christian's personal number A lot of I think a lot of members of the press don't. I'm getting curious. You know, why do you think the new wave of the press, like the influencer journalism, Why do you think that that is taking over?
Speaker 5: I think we were and I mean this in no disrespect at all. I think we were quicker. It's so much more. It's so immediate what we can do, Like I'm gonna be posting multiple tiktoks in the next few hours of this event that we'll get a lot of views, and then my long form video will take maximumly two.
Speaker 3: Weeks, Jesse says. Compared to him pressed like us move like stales, which okay.
Speaker 5: Finders, I'm not somebody who ever tries to like fuck people over, you know, because it's just gonna hurt the next relationship.
Speaker 3: What he means is he's not trying to fuck over Enhanced by reporting anything negative about because that'll make it harder for him to report on other people. Enhanced is at all connected to and look in my regular life, where I'm just a guy out on a Saturday grab drinks of friends. Also, I don't try to be overly probing, not because it'll make my friends dislike me. More like, I just think things go better in the world when none of us are intentionally being dicked. But that's not what journalists.
Speaker 5: We have algorithms that if we figure.
Speaker 3: It out anyway. At this moment, Jesse pulls away from me. Christian Anger Myers just arrived at Jesse Summer. I just got bumped out of the way for this influencer of the interview, Christian anger Meyer. They talk for maybe twenty minutes. When I ask Christians Handlers for my turn with him, they tell me I can have five. He's the same old Christian basically saying to me the same things he's told me before. You What do you think is necessary to define today as a success? What do you what do you think needs to happen out there?
Speaker 6: We have to break world records, and I think we will. My guess is like two to five, two to four world records.
Speaker 3: There's another metrics by which Christian measure success.
Speaker 6: It's how many sort of fuse we have in socialist or whatever, and it's going in the billions. So and that's what I would have told you two weeks ago. I'm maybe happy, even because we spoke before that. I think I will be very happy if all in all we have like a billion fuse and I think we have that already before the game, So that's gonna That's why I'm happy.
Speaker 3: If even half of the guests invited have a following close to Jesse's the influence wer I was just talking to, then I guess, yeah, Christian might get his billion views. It's a bit of a challenge to fact check, of course, but those billion views they underline something you really wouldn't know unless you're there at the games, which is that for the rest of the day, the stands are kind of empty. Maybe it's the heat or the free drinks and food, but until we leave it around midnight, one thing remains true. There's more people mingling behind the stadium than actually watching the games. Still, inevitably, the games begin across three different categories, weightlifting, track and swimming. For the first stretch, it's weightlifting women snatch. One by one, athletes walk up onto a very sunny stage, squat down and grip the loaded barboe.
Speaker 5: Wow, she's got it, she's got a fight, she's got a fight, she's up.
Speaker 2: Oh great attempt.
Speaker 3: Nobody comes close to breaking a world record. Weightlifter after weightlifter comes on stage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh oh wow, surprising, very surprising.
Speaker 3: What went wrong? Actually, only a few even try to break world records. There are some personal bests and plenty of prize money won, because remember, athletes get paid up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for coming in first and fifty thousand dollars for placing fourth. So plenty of happy weightlifters and swimmers and track stars. But world records, world records, there are not.
Speaker 5: He's so close, the defeat is so painful.
Speaker 3: On the jumbo screen above the stage, each athlete's performance is presented the same way, their name, their personal best, and the world record.
Speaker 4: I will say my opinion is that because they keep projecting what the world record is. Seeing someone that you know is on drugs not coming close to it kind of makes me feel like, oh, that's extra unimpressive.
Speaker 1: As the day beats on something that, to be honest, we're really not expecting starts to happen. Hunter Armstrong, the enhanced swimmer who isn't enhanced. He's on the edge of the pool ready to dive in for the fifty meters back show, competing against swimmers who are enhanced.
Speaker 3: Hunter one.
Speaker 1: The athletes who haven't dope keep eating the athletes who have, and it keeps happening, Like at the women's one hundred meter sprint, what it means for her a non enhanced athlete, second non enhanced athlete we've seen win in these events, and at the men's one hundred meter sprint, unenhanced athletes keep taking the top.
Speaker 3: This is it, ladies and gentlemen, this is a moment. Quite literally, we have all been waiting.
Speaker 2: For one of them.
Speaker 1: Fred Curley. Folks actually are expecting him to win, maybe even beat the world record.
Speaker 2: Wait, Fred Curly.
Speaker 1: But when it's time for his race and false starts keep forcing him and the other runners to start over again.
Speaker 3: It's a false start. Second time, another false start.
Speaker 7: Frustration is beauty.
Speaker 1: In total, it took three tries to actually complete the sprint, and.
Speaker 7: It's a clean start.
Speaker 3: Curly Matati in two and four coming down the stretch, Curly, it's.
Speaker 7: Gonna take it.
Speaker 2: And Curly's gonna come in with a time up at nine point.
Speaker 1: Nine eight, and Curly did win.
Speaker 3: Not the results that he was looking for in terms of the time, but the outcome in terms of his placement is.
Speaker 1: Still the same, which means he walked away two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Richard, will you look disappointed?
Speaker 6: You saw that, A lot of false stars, a lot of jumping.
Speaker 3: They gotta do better than that.
Speaker 1: Do you think if it would have gone our first time you could have had a shot.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to run five, but no world record. And Megan Romana, who came out of retirement to compete in the Games, God, Meghan looks fucking shreddedy. She wins one of her races, the one hundred meter free.
Speaker 1: Meghan, congratulations the winner of that race. Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: You are raised.
Speaker 1: I mean, looking at Shaite, she's in it.
Speaker 3: Was a personal best for Megan and after ten years of retirement. Really impressive. I mean, but it certainly wasn't a world record.
Speaker 1: In the fifty meters butterfly, a race that includes Andre Govra from Ukraine and Ben Proud from the UK.
Speaker 2: Oh so close, I thought he had it.
Speaker 3: What a bizarre race.
Speaker 1: Ben Proud does swim at twenty two point three to two point zero five seconds, shy of the world record, which does make him two hundred and fifty thousand dollars richer, Still no world record. In the late afternoon, the biohacker Brian Johnson slides into the commentary booth, holding up an umbrella to block the sun. Enhanced CEO Max Martin posts a photo to his Instagram stories of him and the DJ Diplow hanging out in one of the suites, but front and center on the track in the pool by the waits. They can't seem to break a world record. Not that the influencers seem to care. Throughout the day, they walk around making content. Very little of that content features the enhanced games. It's more like content of the influencers who happen to be at the enhanced games. It you know, those museums of ice cream, which pop up all over America, specifically so people can go and take pictures to put on Instagram in a pool of sprinkles or inside an ice cream sandwich. The Enhanced games are like a museum of ice cream, except instead of a pool of sprinkles, it's a pool of Olympians.
Speaker 3: My favorite moment when a group of teen boys wanders into the center of the arena by the pool and film each other laughing and dancing like they're in the video game Fortnite. Well, a literal swim race is held of these are safe, they really are, like, they really are so young. Lookod they have like five DSLRs.
Speaker 1: These teens, their presence makes for some pretty powerful cognitive dissonance.
Speaker 2: Let's say, yeah it, get it.
Speaker 1: What Enhanced is literally selling is the promise to wash millennials like myself that we too can feel ten years younger if we buy their products. This coterie of influencers who haven't yet woken up with lower back pain feels I don't know, tonally off, or maybe the point is buy our shit and you two can hang like these teens at the same time. This whole time, The whole point of this is to break world records. Christian told us so this morning, and six months ago and last year.
Speaker 3: The hours tick on, athletes make their entrance, and each event is over in a few TikTok friendly seconds, and still no world records. When the sun finally starts to fall, I have a thought. Did Enhance bamboozle us into doing them a favor? Are we just instruments for drumming up attention, no different than those zoomer influencers dancing pool side.
Speaker 1: Finally, it's time for the last event, the big one, the men's fifty meter freestyle, one lap across the pool. It'll be a four horse race between Ben Proud, Anjigovrov, James Magnuson, and the guy who already broke this exact record, at least according to enhanced one year ago, Christian Golamif the tension in the air is palpable, it feels like we're about to find out if this whole thing is a total flop or if there really is something to this whole Enhance thing.
Speaker 7: Nope, I got one.
Speaker 3: Christian golamof twenty point eight one seconds. He beat the world record by point oh seven seconds. They did it after six hours in the desert and many millions of dollars spent here. It is the one world record for some reason. A bunch of red lights pulsate throughout the arena, like we've all been playing Call of Duty and I've taken too much damage. Swim coach Brett Hawk jumps into the pool. So does the Mountain from Game of Thrones, who tried and failed to break the deadlift record earlier tonight. So yeah, they did it, didn't they does? A guy who just jumped up back to the Bulgarian flag.
Speaker 1: From the corner of my eye, I see Ben Proud and can help but think about how hard this guy has worked his whole life. I think about his spreadsheets design to track his entire body, his commitments. Is sleeping alone, even though he's in a committed relationship. To get the best leap possible. He spent years hold up in hotel rooms playing games on his phone until it's time to go back to swim practice. Tonight is just not his night. Now he's standing off to the side holding his girlfriend, Emily Barclay. She's also part of Enhanced and still wearing her swimsuit, and they just stand there like that hugging. It doesn't look like they're saying anything to each other. Maybe there isn't anything to say.
Speaker 3: This morning, when Chris, Lena and I were ubering over to the Games, our driver asked us what we were in town for the Enhanced Games. We said, haven't heard of it, she responded. Then she said, but you know what else is happening tonight. BTS is playing. Everyone in Vegas they're here to see BTS. BTS. If you don't know, they're a K pop group, one of the most famous music groups in the world.
Speaker 1: If you don't know BTS, you might know The Killers. Their song mister Brightside was really popular back in two thousand and four when their debut album came out. These days, you can hear mister Bright's Side at every single wedding reception towards the end of the night, when everyone's starting to get a little tired.
Speaker 3: The Killers play towards the end of the night at the Enhanced Games too. Literally. The band is from Vegas and they perform a mini set on the enhanced stage. The bleachers are really thinned out at this point, but the athletes, the older ones anyway, they seem to be enjoying it. The band opens with mister Branson.
Speaker 1: You know those very rare, full moons that take up much more sky than seems reasonable. Like you look out and most of what you see is the moon, a giant bright orb, reminding you how small you are. Well, just beyond the killers is the Las Vegas sphere, that multi billion dollar totem to our high tech now and the way it's framing the stadium. I don't know what else to compare it to. I want to go back to Hunter Armstrong, the enhanced swimmer who didn't dope. Also the enhanced swimmer who all told made three hundred and seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Today, I'd say that the top end male athletes contract I've made close to, if not matched, their best deals this year.
Speaker 1: When Hunter finished his second and final race at the Enhanced Games, he was brought backstage by an enhanced executive. His name is Rick.
Speaker 2: As soon as I was done, I was taken through a little bit of media and Rick met me and he's like, hey, go pie in a cup, Mike, gotcha?
Speaker 1: Hi, guys, the drug testers from WATA, they were there that day watching Hunter compete.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they enjoyed the show.
Speaker 1: And they'd been testing him all weekend too.
Speaker 2: I had four total tests while I was in Vegas, so I think I had three tests within thirty two hours. And then I competed and they tested me at the complex.
Speaker 1: Which Hunter says totally annoying, but also that's just how it goes. He's used to it. I remember something Hunter told me the first time we talked a few months ago before he'd committed to Enhance, but after that sponsor dropped him, he was going back and forth on next steps for making money. He thought maybe he could teach swim clinics, teach new swimmers skills and techniques, but his fear was that pretty quickly the next generation of late swimmers are going to come for him for his job.
Speaker 2: If I'm not actively competing, my relevance will go down, and so eventually I'm going to lose that opportunity anyway. But if I join Enhanced, maybe I'll have more longevity.
Speaker 1: Long Jeff, that word. I think this is literally the only time I've heard someone use it in the context of Enhanced without meaning like turning back a clock, reverse aging.
Speaker 2: Longevity In my career, all encapsulating, so my longevity, as relevancy, my identity as a swimmer.
Speaker 1: All of which funnel into something much more important to Hunter than swimming. Just like we've heard from the other athletes Megan andre Ben, Proud, Hunter just wants to know even if he's chosen a career with an expiration date, he can still be okay in the long run.
Speaker 2: Because I swear to you the day that I retire, I'm not making any more Instagram posts, I'm not doing vlogs. I just want to live my small town life with the white picket fence and have it is running on the backyard.
Speaker 1: Superhuman is a Kaleidoscope production in partnership with iHeart Podcast. The series is produced, reported, and co hosted by Sammy Egan. Then Mstis Medal is our senior producer. Production support from Dara luck Potts, edited by Kate Osborne, editorial consulting by Adisa Egan, original composition and mixing by Hannis Brown, Reported and hosted by me Chris Guy Molly from Kaleidoscope. Our executive producers are Kate Osborne, Ozwa Lashin, Mangeshatikador, and Kosislinos. Julian Nutter is the head of Studio for Kaleidoscope and From My Heart. Our executive producers are Katrina Norvil and Nikki Etor BacT checking by Lina Shang, Engineering by Mitch Lee and Zoltan Sindhu. If you like what you're hearing, subscribe to the feed now so you don't miss our next straw