Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: I'm that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith state is that?
Speaker 1: Whoo whoom?
Speaker 2: And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the solid Verbal, Boys and girls. My name is ty Hildenbrand, joining me as always over there in New York City, my man Dan Rubinstein, Sir Sir big Win yesterday, huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ty, life is good. Life is good. My week seven did not involve me fading or disappointing teammates or a fan base or fading away. So listen, Ty, I can't complain. How you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. So we're recording this show a little bit later than usual because Smiling on Saturday was not limited to just Saturday. It also stated into Sunday morning. As we tried to record our show and had some technical woes. We are recording this late night. This is about as late night as it gets here on the verbal, as you and I are old men and about to fall asleep. But before we did that, we didn't need to do some very important recapping for again smilod on Saturday, which we discussed on the eighteen different attempts we made this morning, how maybe smilodon does not fully capture what ended up taking place.
Speaker 2: No, there were various moments during yesterday's action where I thought to myself, should have been a sign, should have been a sign what Auburn has looked like, maybe at times what Notre Dame has looked like, Perhaps what Washington has looked like, Perhaps what Texas has looked like, our Penn State should have been a sign. Saturday is where I landed on what it felt like in the present time.
Speaker 1: Should have seen the signs?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was quite a weekend. Four of the top eight go down all told, eight of the top twenty five I go down. One of those weeks. We kind of saw it coming. We saw the writing on the wall. Maybe we should have seen the signs. Let's get into your week seven reverbs and go from there. Have a listen. This is Phillips from Panama City, Florida, and all I've got to say is thank God for college football.
Speaker 2: Dan Ti, This is Cotner and Don Ruys.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is a Shawn from Boiling Screens, North Carolina. Hi. It's Charles and Columbus Hi.
Speaker 2: This is Andrea from Bucks County.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is Michael from a bathroom in Portland, Oregon, and I just want to say welcome to smile It on Saturday. Right r R. We are halfway through the day, and smile It on Saturday has already claimed the victim, the Auburn Tigers.
Speaker 2: Totally eating out there inside.
Speaker 1: Just got done watching the Auburn game that was bad. She had a glass of Scotts to try and turn all my bad feelings into good feelings. I just went to a wedding and they did the Bok toss and it was intercepted, and I had PTSD from Jared Siddons two picks against Tennessee. Oh, how about some tigers? Baby, nobody gave us a chance. Baby, nobody gave us a chance. How about the real Tigers?
Speaker 2: That by you Bingles Row.
Speaker 1: We got a call back from last week and state that the Georgia Bulldogs do not want Bama currently, right, job, You'll always be homes me homes mere, Right.
Speaker 2: Is Kentucky secretly good snells No.
Speaker 3: I was talking with my friends name and we just discovered that things might be the brule sigle of college football.
Speaker 2: How about that home down of the week.
Speaker 1: Just walk out of Jack Troy, stay in about the party like at rock Star tonight. I think Dana Voters in visibly lost hair during this game.
Speaker 2: Texas may have won ugly, but they won.
Speaker 1: And now they're sitting atop the Big twelve with a bye week coming up to get healthy. Texas is playing up or down to its competition.
Speaker 2: Great boats your game.
Speaker 3: Great, make us sweat it out all the time with.
Speaker 1: These teams that you should be beating with no problem.
Speaker 2: Well, it's that time of year again, that time when the Big ten eats it.
Speaker 1: Well, there needed to be like a dateline investigation into house guys and what their tead games last season without Hornybrook as a starting quarterback.
Speaker 3: I don't know what this feeling is.
Speaker 2: I've never held it before.
Speaker 3: They say that it's one of those quality wins over a ranked opponents.
Speaker 1: After Michigan just destroyed Wisconsin, it's no big house.
Speaker 3: Purdue fans would like to thank you for letting us use the Croc bodycast.
Speaker 1: Illinois, Go Boilers.
Speaker 4: I just watched Rutgers quarterbacks go two for seventeen for eight yards and five picks.
Speaker 2: I love this sport.
Speaker 1: Yay it's one of the circle back on Nate Stanley, really quick six touchdowns.
Speaker 2: There's four minutes left.
Speaker 1: I bet I can fit in two more just bodying up as Hoosier defense. Could James Franklin even sell a used car in the fourth quarter?
Speaker 2: Hey, Dan is Oregon back.
Speaker 4: And it was so great to see Jake Browning sulking on the sideline after the game. The rivalry now belongs to Oregon as it should be.
Speaker 2: John Lay is happy. I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Let's go don. Ucla may now be the most dangerous one in five team in the nation.
Speaker 2: Arizona. You know this is packed twelve out dark. You don't have to light down and playdead.
Speaker 1: The cardiac cattle just barely squeaked by previously one in four Tulsa. And I'm waiting until USF is your left runs out. Team of the Week North Texas six and one Bowl eligible for a third straight year. Smell it up, Mean Green fans, We're.
Speaker 2: Live for bet Rouge just wanted to reiterate that Death Valley is truly the place where dreams go to die.
Speaker 1: And Joe Tigers and God bless America, God bless America. Indeed, Dan four oh eight verbal one four oh eight eight three seven, two two five one. Kudos to our friend, to our trusted Deputy Taylor, who actually cut up this week's reverbs from a hotel room somewhere near Tuscaloose, Alabama. He was at Bryant Denny Stadium for the Miszoo game. Had nothing but kind words about the hospitality and something called liquor lockers, which I was not familiar with previously. But it seems like you'd be a good time.
Speaker 2: I hope we got some nanner pudding. That's what you have to do when you're in Alabama.
Speaker 1: Nudding.
Speaker 2: Nana pudding, Yeah, banana pudding. Nill away for on top tie. You gotta get in on that.
Speaker 1: You know what I enjoyed the most about the reverbs this week if I could.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: The number of the sheer number of people who tried to do the smile it on roar.
Speaker 2: It's tough tie to convey that over the bandwidth of a phone. It's not the proper venue.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I love, Tye. I loved one the scripting out. Yeah, the Rocky Top song version song got me. It's wonderful. And I also like the fact that this is just in general that our reaverblind is you know the Turkey line that you can call on Thanksgiving to get quick last minute tips to save and maybe sometimes people just call the Turkey line be like, am I doing okay? Is everything all right? That is what we are to that poor USF fan who's just waiting for his team to lose. That's what we are to you know, somebody being excited about Purdue, which you should be, But I like that no matter how you prepare your college football team, we're here to help.
Speaker 1: Hell, I almost called it during that Notre Dame game. I'm not gonna lie. What did I support?
Speaker 2: We can We'll talk about Notre Dame eventually. It's hard to lead with Notre Dame. But I compare them to I compared Pitt to like an elderly python. Yeah, like Pitt just wants to be left alone and be not that great at football. And then you come around with your hopes and dreams, disturbing the elderly python. That is Pits. And Pitt's gonna they got an attack everyone.
Speaker 1: It's gonna snap. They still got a little bit of lead in the pencil. Yeah, they want to squeeze you as long as they can. Sure, all right, let's start actually in the SEC because the number two team in the country, the Georgia Bulldogs, lost by twenty points on the road in Death Valley to LSU. I did not see this one coming. We talked on the Wednesday preview show in my line if I remember correctly, because I'm an old man and I don't remember so well, especially not just at night.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I didn't see more than seventeen points for LSU here. And it wasn't so much because I'm trying to demean the Tigers, but look, Georgia's had a pretty good defense over the last couple of years. Maybe they were missing a few parts and they're still trying to figure that out halfway through the year, but still a pretty good defense. The Georgia offense was averaging near forty three points per game. There were questions about the LSU offense, like a whole bunch of different things coming together at the same time. I didn't see more than seventeen points. Well, and behold, here we sit on Sunday night talking about LSU thirty six Georgia sixteen. Dan to me, I felt a little bit blindsided bout this one.
Speaker 2: Are you a believer now an LSU? Are you a Jarrett Lever believer? I really tried with that time, I swear to you, I did.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Are you an LSU after at home looking like they did, making Georgia look like it did? Are you ready to turn that page on LSU? I think you have to be. Yeah, I think you have to be.
Speaker 1: I think if at this point came right, yeah, at this point, if you are unwilling to admit that LSU was a top ten team, at worse, a top twelve team in the country, you've got an ax to grind with LSU. Here's the deal. Three top ten wins. They've got a game left against Wells State. Well, okay, sure.
Speaker 2: We can quit the time. Yes, at the time.
Speaker 1: Three top ten wins not bad, not bad. I'll take that, given where I thought LSU might be this season. Sure, Mississippi State next week potentially a letdown? Who knows the state? Yeah yeah, Mississipps. I can't even say it. Mississippi State's pretty good team. They've also got Alabama the first week of November, which is shaping up to be another smile it on Saturday.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they close out the year with A and M, so there there's more work to be done for LSU. But I think by beating Georgia, Yeah, if that's not testament enough to them being for real, then I don't know it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's beating down Georgia, not just sneaking by seventeen fourteen. So the big takeaways for me looking at this game, we're basically LSU's offense, while not some kind of war machine monster like others with their talent level, they make plays and one week it's Nick Brissett, next week it's Clyde Edwards lay or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Jefferson's making plays on the outside. Joe Burrow, while he's not the most accurate, he seems to be timely. He is a dual threat more often than I think people want to admit. And you know, Coacho going forward in a huge spot to keep momentum going. And watching that game, it was obvious to me that LSU had something that you see from very good teams, and that is the offense and defense and really special teams working in concert. That the offense was taking advantage when the defense was forcing turnovers. You know, when they had a short field. You know, the defense was taking advantage of the offense, giving them time and taking chances knowing that the offense was going to be able to score. And the defense playing with a knowledge of Jake from is off And part of that is off us and part of that is maybe some predictable play calling. Part of that is Jake fromm just seeing ghosts. Whatever it is. I'm not worried about Georgia long term. George is going to be fine. Going to LSU and beating a good LSU team is like something that one hundred and twenty three teams every year is not going to be able to do. But Georgia looked off. They just fly. They looked like they did last year at Auburn. And I don't know if that's just going to be a once a year thing, and if it is, there are worse plights in college football. But I think the majority of this is LSU being just so dangerous, particularly at home.
Speaker 1: For sure. So again, thirty six to sixteen year final, LSU knocks off the number two ranked Georgia Bulldogs, Georgia by the ways on by next week they've got Florida into That'll be an interesting contest for us to preview.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Let's go to number six West Virginia on the road at Iowa State. The final here Iowa State thirty, West Virginia fourteen. Just like a masterclass here for Matt Campbell in coaching and game planning. The two big indigether, the two things that jumped out to me. If you don't watch this game, if you're trying to figure out what the heck happened, go to the box score and first look at Will Grier's stat line throwing the football. West Virginia is a throwing football team. They're a thrower. Maybe not so much a grower, but they're a thrower.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Will Greer goes eleven for fifteen for one hundred yards. When you see fifteen attempts, you think, oh, well, maybe maybe got hurt. Maybe there was like someone like what happened, Well, there are no backups?
Speaker 2: Non Maybe they were running for fourteen yards in attempts.
Speaker 1: Maybe they were running the Navy offense like Koell knows, But fifteen attempts seems off for wol Greer. But then you see there was no backup, and then you dig in a little bit more and you find point two. Oh, Iowa State held the ball for thirty seven and a half minutes. Oh, they held West Virginia to just one of ten on third down conversions. That's how they got the job done. That's how they controlled the flow of this game, how they controlled the narrative of this game. Honestly, if you watched it, it never felt like Iowa State was in any danger of losing this football game. They had control from the jump, and I thought, at least from what I've seen of the Cyclones, this was far and away their best game of the year. It does seem like they're getting better now.
Speaker 2: Yes, and quick disclaimer, tie my voice a little bit different, probably.
Speaker 1: A little bit different. Are you a closet?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Where are you?
Speaker 2: It's actually probably a better option than we ever would have had for the first eight to nine years of this show. I'm standing right where I was, But my microphone keeps blipping and crackling, and we just we owe it to the consumer to do we owe it to Iowa State. Really tie to do better? Oh yeah, yes, I will agree, without spending too much time on our dumb audio issues, that it was the best game Iowa State played all year, they were in control, they got stronger. They now have, at least for the time being, pretty much the best combination of things that you could hope for as an up and coming college football program, which is a coach you believe in and a true freshman quarterback you believe in. Out of nowhere, mind you, but incredibly impressive. The defense was great, shutting out West Virginia in the second half. I don't think West Virginia is bad. I know there's frustration among Ears fans, but when somebody invites you to play football in Iowa State and in ames Iowa, excuse me, like we tweeted out, just politely say no, Just say oh no, God, do it wash my hair that night?
Speaker 1: Well, that three headed monster of Rock Party, David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler was just ridiculous in this game. Montgomery in particular or looked electric one hundred and eighty nine yards ran angry, showed really good moves. And Rock Party, who we've talked about now for two weeks running beat Oklahoma State a week ago, knocked off West Virginia at home on Saturday, still has a shot at Texas Tech in two weeks. They go on the road at Texas late later I guess in November. He will presumably be the starting quarterback until further notice because he has looked so good. Iowa State right now, as you look at the landscape, probably sets up as an eight and four or nine to three team, which is just remarkable for Mat Campbell to be doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the schedule actually, yes, depending on what happens with Sam Ellinger's shoulder, and we'll get to that, but they don't play them until mid November. But the Big Twelve, the back half of the Big Twelve, and I know they finished with a very small school a non conference game, but yeah, what a nice, unexpected sort of mid season shift for Iowa State.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Oregon thirty number seven Washington twenty seven. This one went to overtime. Another home game for Oregon, Another big home game for Oregon. Yeah, that goes to overtime this time as opposed to the Stanford game earlier in the year, a much different result. What a huge win for the Ducks here. Washington's Peyton Henry had a chance to win it. Yes, he hooks a thirty seven yard field goal at the gun. Then in the first possession of overtime, The Huskies settle for a field goal, which turns the ball over to Oregon gives them their crack at it. It opens a door for the Ducks, who promptly wont a six yard touchdown run from CJ. Verdell. Again your final here, thirty to twenty seven. I didn't watch this game as closely as I wanted because I was worried about my own nail bier over on NBC. Sure, but talk to me about what went on here, because I was jumping back and forth. What was the lay of the land up there in Eugene for this game?
Speaker 2: The lay of the land is a people being very happy after being very nervous and sad at the end of the game, with Peyton Henry lining up and Mario Cristobal ice him a couple times. It's a different Oregon team to watch. It's a very much body blow ish Oregon team to watch. I just saw a stat that I don't think anybody who's played Oregon has won a game since playing Oregon. So there your early. Yes, Stanford hasn't correct. They lose to Utah and Notre Dame. Some of the small schools haven't Cal loses to UCLA, which a terrific feather in their hat. But as it relates to Oregon, Justin Herbert kind of an off day, made a couple of big plays. Jake Browning was definitely the better quarterback on the field, had more time, made plays. We saw that long touchdown pass. But I thought Oregon's defense did a good job against Washington's offense in general, and it is definitely strange watching an Oregon offense that is happy to take four point whatever yards of carry. I don't know what they finished at, might have been less than that, but they were happy to march down the field and be patient. I didn't think their final drive and regulation was all that good, so maybe that's where things sort of shifted away from what I'm used to. But enormous win for Oregon. Great play call at the end as they saw Washington and like a nickel or dime package and to just go straight at the heart of that defense. And it's something that is going to energize Oregon on the fields on the recruiting trail. And they now face a crazy trap going to Washington State, who had a bye last week, and I like the Koogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, game Days come into town for the first time.
Speaker 2: And that's true.
Speaker 1: All crazy, so it's going to be quite a scene up there in Pullman. But nonetheless a big win for Oregon. Oregon jumps all the way up to number twelve now in the newest AP Poll. We can't usually do that on the show because usually we record at nine to thirty in the morning, but being so it's nine to thirty at night. Yeah, a little bit of a different case here. Big win for Oregon again. In ot they go on to victory thirty to twenty seven. Let's go to state college. Michigan State twenty one, Penn State seventeen. I don't care if you were rooting for Michigan State, if you were rooting for Penn State, or if you were just channel surfing at some point in the afternoon, whatever your situation, this was a painful game to watch. If you didn't have to watch this game, you probably shouldn't have. Penn State for the second straight season, is handed a very close loss by Michigan State. Now, the Spartans have been an interesting case. We talked about them on the preview show. They've been underwhelming this season. They brought back nineteen starters from a year ago, and they just haven't really been able to run the ball. The defense at times has been a little shakier than we expected though, albeit it's still very very good. I don't know if Brian Wilworkie has quite been up to par here in the early going. But Michigan State controlled this game. They had about ten more minutes of possession, and down the stretch it seemed like it had a real outsized impact on that Penn State defense because they did start to look tired. But here is the main takeaway from But here is the main takeaway for me. And I'm not saying this disrespect Michigan State, because Michigan State clearly has Penn State's number. Disrespect Penn State in their last twenty nine games is twenty four and five. Those five losses are by a combined twelve points. This is a thing now with James Franklin. For a while we would make fun of them for the clock management. But the real story here is fourth quarter management. And again like we did against Ohio State, like we saw plenty of other times a couple times last year, this time around, Penn State had another chance to close the game out Michigan State tries to fake a field goal in the fourth quarter, doesn't work. It was a terrible play.
Speaker 2: Little Giants too, That's what they call it.
Speaker 1: Terrible play. Penn State gets the back on one drive, they have four downs. On the next they have three and they quickly punt it. They give the ball right back to Michigan State. Michigan State marches the field with a minute nineteen left to score the go ahead, game winning touchdown. Penn State needs to be better in those situations if they want to truly be an elite program. This is a thing for James Frankly that he needs to overcome, and Penn State's not there yet.
Speaker 2: No, James Franklin is sort of the old dose Eki Sky I guess now where he doesn't always lose games.
Speaker 1: But when he does by one and a half points.
Speaker 2: Boy, yeah, are they entertaining and weird? Yeah, Michigan State, all things considered, I'm gonna give them a little bit of respect because Felton Davis real good and pretty much the only season weapon in that receiving corps. One that is increasingly important when they haven't really been able to consistently run the ball. As you mentioned, in Brian Lawurki has been he didn't have a great game. It big throws when it counted a couple times. But yeah, I just don't know what to make of this Penn State team. And the should have been a signed thing is those first halves against pitt against Illinois, and you know, the key moments against Ohio State where tackle somebody, tackle anybody, And this Penn State team, it's it's a very weird thing because the expectations were pretty high, given Trace McSorley coming back, but with what they lost on defense, with the gravity that was Saquon Barkley on offense, It's okay to make peace with Penn State merely being their down years being a pretty good team. And I think that's what needs to happen.
Speaker 1: Mob, I agree, and I just somebody needs to explain to me how Penn State looked like garbage coming off of bye week.
Speaker 2: That's that's totally fair.
Speaker 1: Somebody needs to explain that one to me. All do credit to Michigan State. They played a good game here. They got the job done. We figured if they'd win, it would be close. And I'm not bitter about that. I'm just very curious from the Penn State perspective why it was in a better effort. Nonetheless, big win for Michigan State twenty one to seventeen, going on the road in Happy Valley.
Speaker 2: Nice win, by the way, Just because I don't with my my drive chart ratings, I don't like picking on teams that have terrible drives against Alabama or Clemson, like that's going to happen. That that is going to happen. But Penn State in this game, and I'm using my phone as a backup recording device, so I won't be able to play Devorac unless you magically have a Divorac. I don't have it on my sox too. But Penn State going fumble, touchdown, punt, punt, punt, touchdown, Hey, so far, so good, punt, end of half, punt downs, fumble, missed field goal, field goal punt punt, end of game. Man on a really ugly I mean this was pop gun throw hel Mary so that it was rough to watch. Luckily that was not my main focus at that time. That was a side TV.
Speaker 1: But well, we're going to see what happens now to Penn State moving forward, They've got a gim win against Rutgers for sure. But then there are a bunch of other games mixed in, all of which could be losses depending on how they play. If they come out and look flat on the road at Indiana, Indiana is a team that could muster up enough to beat him. Well, we'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll see that's true.
Speaker 1: No Guinea's on that schedule outside Rutgers, so we'll see where Penn State goes. Michigan State hosts Michigan next week, and I'm actually gonna go to Michigan next. I want to talk about this Saturday night game in the Big House. Michigan wins thirty eight to thirteen in a game that was really never in doubt, and I would say, as opposed to the previous couple games we've been talking about where the favorite goes out and they struggle, this was a super encouraging win on about fifteen different levels for Jim Harbaugh. For one, the defense remains superb. If anything, they're getting better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with perhaps their best player sideline in Rashan Gary.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Taylor tailback not than Taylor Thomas full disclosure, he went over one hundred yards, but he didn't kill them, And I think that's going to be the template for everyone playing Wisconsin moving forward. Let him get the yards, just don't let him kill you. And that's exactly what Michigan did. Alex Hornybrook held to seven of twenty four, one hundred yards and two interceptions.
Speaker 2: And brother, it was going to be about twenty five until garbage time.
Speaker 1: That's right. His QBR according to ESPN. I'm not sure I even understand what this QBR number is. Math Whizz is smarter than me, and probably you have figured this out. His QBR was point seven, which feels very low.
Speaker 2: It does feel unacceptable.
Speaker 1: Ty.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm going to weigh in on that number. Wisconsin, their strength had been offense. We had seen them take steps back on defense starting with that BYU game. And for Wisconsin to look and listen, I understand with everything changing in the secondary and injuries and targeting call like this was not the same Badger defense we had seen these past three four or five years. But to be Michigan and so emphatically in your own house after they beat him at fourteen to seven in ann Arboro a couple of years ago, to go to thirty eight points with shape Patterson and the offense opening up a little bit. We saw him with the long run. We saw Dylan McCaffrey with the long run in garbage time. It was another step up for this Michigan offensive line, for Nico Collins and Donovan People's jones to get going like they did, not huge yardage, but pace this game really well. A complete win for Michigan and an obvious crock potting to me because it was only thirteen or fourteen to seven at halftime, and then slowly those flavors they melded together, tie, they came together, they swirled in that cauldron, and Michigan finished as went out, winning by twenty five. So have to be encouraged if you're a Michigan fan. The back half of their schedule is with Penn State looking down, Michigan State's going to be super tough and Easse Lansing they always are finishing in Columbus. It shapes up pretty well for a Wolverine team on the rise.
Speaker 1: By comparison, shape, Patterson's QBR was sixty two point two, which is demonstrably better than point seven.
Speaker 2: You don't get this these kind of math insights that's right on other shows. You actually no, I take that back. There are many shows that have much better math insights. All right, thirty eight to thirteen a huge win for Michigan. They're set up very nicely there, all the way up to number six in the polls now, yeah in the AP poll, deservedly. So let's go to South Bend for a hot minute if we can. Notre Dame nineteen Pit fourteen elderly Python, yeah fourteen.
Speaker 1: If you look at the box score before the final score here, I think it paints a far different story. Notre Dame should have lost this game, Dan, They should have lost this football game. But ian Book puts it together in the second half. He saw right out of the gates. In the second half, he started to kind of find a little bit of a rhythm. They were doing some different things on offense. It seemed like the tide was turning. It took a while to get there, but eventually, with five point forty three left, Ian Book Drives connects with Miles Boykin for a thirty five yard touchdown pass, which ended up being the game winner. The first time actually that Notre Dame led in this game was at the five forty three mark. Not a pretty win, but on smile, it on Saturday on should have seen the sign Saturday. A win is a win. It was all about surviving advance for Notre Dame. For really, any team that won, whether it's Florida, whether it's UCF, there are a whole slewid teams that won by the hair on their chin. I will take the win. I'm not happy about how it looked, particularly in the first half.
Speaker 2: Put on your ace of base hat and or unitard. Yeah, did you see a sign? And did it open up your eyes when you look at this Notre Dame team where in two three weeks, even though the schedule looks pretty manageable for the Irish, where you can say, yes, it was a sign that coming into a game against the like one hundred and eighth best rush defense, Dexter Williams basically averaged a yard a care. You take away that he had a long of thirteen. You take that away. It was twelve carries for eighteen yards. If my math this time is corrects, is there are there offensive takeaways that even in a surviving advanced scenario that should trouble Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: There's an offensive and a defensive takeaway for me, And I'll start with the defense, because the defense is something important here. This defense was caught on its heels initially because Pitt drove the field opening drive ten minutes scored a touchdown, and it seemed at that point from that point forward through most of the football game, it seemed like Pitt had control. But the Notre Dame defense only gave up that touchdown. The other seven points came on a kick return to open up the second half for Pitt. Notre Dame played out standing on the defensive side of the ball. Pitt missed two kicks, all right, This game could have gone their way very easily, but Notre Dame's defense really locked down, really found its groove after that first drive. And I think knowing that Notre Dame has that as just sort of a fallback, that they're going to stay in games because of that defense, that's a rock. That's a good thing to have, a good problem to have if you're Notre Dame. So that's my first takeaway that the defense did not collapse.
Speaker 2: Clark lay good job. First half.
Speaker 1: He's been outstanding. The offensive takeaway is that Pitt blitzed at least every play in the first half of this football game.
Speaker 2: Great works.
Speaker 1: It really did work, and ian Books seemed like he was a bit rattled. He was doing that thing again that he did a week ago where he was throwing over guys streaking down the field. I'm curious to see against better teams than Pitt how that shakes out for ian Book and how that shakes out for the offensive line, because there were times where they looked overwhelmed. And whether it's in the passing game of the running game, you know, that could be a bit problematic.
Speaker 2: I will say this, that throw to Miles Boykin, though.
Speaker 1: Who good good throw. Notre Dame wins absolutely survived nineteen to fourteen over Pitt at home and real quick. Before we get into some individual conferences, I just want to mention UCF thirty one Memphis thirty. We talked a little bit about UCS defense as it goes. It showed up about two quarters late to this football game. Finally figured Memphis out in the second half. It held their rushing attack that was outstanding in the first half to pretty much nothing in the second half. Also shut out out the Memphis Tigers in the second half here, So thirty one to thirty it was a come from behind victory for UCF. We're starting to do this thing now in the polls, where in the coaches poll UCF moved up one to number nine, but in the AP they froze at ten while there were a bunch of teams that hurdled them. This is again going to be more narrative that we have to contend with through the second half the season. But nonetheless, nice win for UCF on the road against Memphis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, god forbid you move UCF up after a tough road win against a good team.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was quite impressive, and it was the way they did it that it was. I think McGowan who burst up the middle on a fourth and Shorts just doing it in a number of ways. UCF is really good and I can't imagine anybody really wants a part of them.
Speaker 1: Once again, I want to go to the Big ten here and talk about Ohio State thirty Minnesota fourteen. Another hohum day for Dwayne Haskins. Four hundred and twelve yards passing three touchdowns through the air. He is putting up pinball numbers every week.
Speaker 2: Butt correct, butt train Haskins to two.
Speaker 1: But this one was seventeen to fourteen at half Minnesota, Dan hung around a while, they got a good game from Mohammed Ibrahim on the ground, Tyler Johnson in the receiving game. You would expect a PJ. Fleck team to fight, to be motivated. I just think the bigger takeaway here is that the Ohio State defense needs a little work. It needs a little work. Yeah, for the high level of talent that they have on that team, it just needs a little work. Granted, they only gave up fourteen points. They shut out Minnesota in the second half. But if we're truly splitting hairs here and talking about what is our takeaway from Week seven for Ohio State, that would be the thing for me. The defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other thing thing to me is when Ohio State's not running, you can make it a game. And it was a day where Weber and Dobbins just couldn't burst through. We're not getting separation. We're not consistently getting six, seven, eight, nine yards and a lot like those Baylor teams. I guess from six seven years ago, four years ago, whatever, I don't remember when they were last actually fun before you know, everything came out. You could let them throw the ball if you stop them on the ground, they were beatable, and teams eventually figure that out. And I don't know that Ohio State is on that lower level because that defense is still going to be good enough, and when Nick Bosa comes back, they're gonna be able to get after the quarterback to even a scarier extent. But this was what twenty to fourteen going into the fourth quarter. I guess a Minnesota team who was just drilled by Maryland. I don't know. I'm worried about Ohio State, but I can't you know, other than I guess Michigan. I guess Michigan and Michigan State. But I still think that Ohio State is in a good enough position because of Dwayne Haskins and his just never ending cavalry of receivers. I think it was kJ Hill yesterday who went off.
Speaker 1: It was his week.
Speaker 2: No, you know, one week, it's Austin mac another, it's Johnny Dixon's another, it's mclaurin's whatever. And just because they can get that sort of instant offense, it's difficult to truly worry about Ohio State against anybody below a top fifteen team.
Speaker 1: Right Iowa forty two, Indiana sixteen to our everlasting shame. We forgot to mention this game on the Wednesday show.
Speaker 2: We did, and I mean we talked about Nate Stanley enough during the fantasy things. Yeah no, it covered us for weeks like that.
Speaker 1: But we've earned enough goodwill in the Iowa community. But I'd love to say we forgot about this one because we saw this coming, but we didn't. The line was just Iowa minus three and a half something like that. An offensive explosion for the Hawkeys, three twenty six touchdowns through the air for Nate Stanley, the fourth straight game where Iowa has now gone over four hundred yards of total offense. Dan.
Speaker 2: This is true against an Indiana defense that has been decent enough. I'm not going to tell you this is a superpower defense. But at this point, is Nate Stanley right now with what he's done these past I guess three weeks and it's not the biggest level of competition. Is he the second best pure thrower it's thus far this season? Is he ahead of Trace McSorley, behind Haskins. I mean, look at I mean, I'm diving into the numbers right now, just against Big ten teams, Nate Stanley is probably I mean he has three still numbers.
Speaker 1: I'll still take tray soorly in a big game situation, but statistically speaking, you're probably right.
Speaker 2: I mean, Nate Stanley had if you compare the Ohio state matchups.
Speaker 1: Okay, forty two to sixteen your final here, let's move on. Northwestern thirty four Nebraska thirty one. This one went to overtime because Nebraska blew a ten point lead in the final five forty one regulation. For the first time in forever, Dan, it dawned to me that Northwestern has an identity, and it's really an identity by subtraction if such thing does exist. Because Jeremy Larkin can't play right, he got hurt. Yeah, that's a bummer, huge bummer. But because of that, there's just no real rushing attack to speak of. And it's clear that when you only manage thirty two yards in the ground against the defense of this Nebraska caliber, really you can't run on anyone.
Speaker 2: Right, Nebraska's defense is the cure for the common rus This is correct.
Speaker 1: So now we're out of place where they're just going to let Clayton Thorson throw at sixty four times, And you know what, I am fine with that. I think I want to call this the new look Northwestern offense because I finally feel like it makes sense to me watching it or trying to project it. We just know that they're going to let him throw it a whole bunch of times, and hey, that could be kind of fun to watch. In this case, Nebraska probably should have won. They blew it down the stretch worse starting the history of forever. I don't know. I'm sure Nebraska fans aren't excited about being.
Speaker 2: They've never started zero and six. This is this is the one.
Speaker 1: The one. Yeah, I'm sure Nebraska fans aren't excited about that. I still feel very optimistic about Scott Frost. A tough one here, that'll sting for a while, but I thought some positive signs here, just that they're seemingly playing a little bit better on offense with Adrian Martinez. Despite the three point loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Devin Zigbo was good on the ground, they couldn't close it there. Overtime was was horrid to watch tie. I mean that that fourth and one bad snap, throwing it up and hoping for the best. It was a painful watch the way that Nebraska lost this game. I you know, Northwestern is America's grower. I guess just every year they're just going to look like nuclear waste in the first month of the season and then slowly just chip away at everybody else on their schedule. And it sucks to watch. Nebraska should have probably been n acron to start the season, and they had that opportunity against Colorado, and they had the chances and the lead against Northwestern, but it's a it's not particularly good TV right now, all right.
Speaker 1: And elsewhere in the Big Ten, very quickly, we had Maryland thirty four, Rutgers seven. And I say this with no disrespect to Maryland, but as one of our callers pointed out, the highlight of this game may have been Rutgers finishing with eight total passing yards and I believe five interceptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a numbers thing. And still and yet so what you call him King Arthur, We might have to down.
Speaker 1: We may have to downgrade that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two of sixteen for eight yards and four picks. And yet, however, the math works out a UBR above one point zero, something that Alex Hornybrook did not get to.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: However, QBR has figured out. Congratulations to Big Art Sitkowski and a QBR of one point one.
Speaker 1: And finally we had Purdue forty six Illinois seven, six hundred and eleven total yards for the boiler Makers. Yeah, offensive, maybe another grower possibly, you never know.
Speaker 2: Purdue has to finish. I mean, they go to Michigan State in a couple weeks. They have Ohio State this coming week. I believe, Yes, Minnesota Wisconsin. It's a tough schedule. I imagine between Ohio State and Michigan State Wisconsin. They're winning it. They're winning one of those.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the acc where Uva the Cavaliers, the Who's knocked off Miami sixteenth to thirteen. The Virginia defense came through in a big way here. Nikosi Perry got yanked. He was only in for four offensive series before it was apparent he couldn't crack the code. They brought Milik Rogier. He was a little better, but not not all that much. I did you watch any of this game?
Speaker 2: I did. It was on a side TV, so I was back in. My eyeballs were back and forth. This game was another tough one.
Speaker 1: I felt like this is what football used to be before they invented touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was I mean to lose a game to a quarterback who throws three picks and to play as well as Miami's defense did. Miami's defense did more than enough to win this game and got nothing from this offense. I don't think Malik Roger is It's not Rosier.
Speaker 1: Apparently apparently not.
Speaker 2: It's Malik Rose Rose. He is a very average quarterback, and Perry has the higher ceiling. I understand the start was atrocious QBR zero point one, but for Miami's offense to not be able to get seventeen points against Virginia, they were They were undisciplined, the play calling was all over the place. And shout out to Virginia for winning this game. But I can't imagine that if you told Virginia players about what happened in this game, they'd be like, oh, yeah, we lost by two and a half touchdowns. If what you're saying we perform like is true, yeah we lost by fifteen, sixteen points. It's like now you won by three. Congrats, so happy, happy coincidence, happy uh surprise for the.
Speaker 1: Virginia Now four and two seven five looks very attainable for Bronco man, I like, yeah, Adam, Mini mummies going back to a Bowl for the second straight year, which is a good sign for this program elsewhere in the ACC very quickly. I'm going to run through these Dan Virginia Tech twenty two UNC nineteen. Tech was on the ropes here. They couldn't really get any momentum. They were giving up big chunks on defense. But I think Tech fans are going to look at the last six minutes of this game for a while. That final drive by Ian Willis was a thing of beauty. They converted four third downs, They had a heroic fourth and nine where he was bounced around a bit. They ultimately end up winning this football game again twenty two to nineteen, So nice win for Tech. Duke wins twenty eight to fourteen over Georgia Tech Duke quietly shitting at five and one. They could end up being like an eight and fourteen this year. If you're super optimistic, you can get all the way up to nine and three. But eight and four feels very very likely to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they go to Clemson, and I believe they go to Miami, and listen, these are not two perfect teams Miami and Clemson. I like Duke, I don't believe enthusiastically in them. But yeah, eight and four, nine and three, with this schedule, how would shaping up? You can't convince me dramatically otherwise.
Speaker 1: And finally, Boston College thirty eight Louisville twenty. AJ Dillon actually still out because of injury for Boston College, but it doesn't really matter because they played Louisville. Have the Jeff bram to Louisville rumors started yet? Just asking First, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what I don't know what the buyout of his contract looks like. And by the way, that means brom and I think Petrino's contract might be kind of difficult to lift and separate, so it might be another year before Louisville's able to move on. But Louisville's a nightmare and BC, by the way they stomp them on, They killed them over and over again, and so it is amazing. And people that pay closer to attention to Louisville football surely will know better than I or you or whoever looking at this game somewhat from afar. I did not watch much of this game, but Bobby Patrino teams they'll fall off a cliff. They don't They don't slide. It's it's what is it? Thelman Louise, Yeah, it's uh. It sucks to see because there is still a good amount of talent on this Louisville team. I really like their receiving corps. I like a couple of their backs, and I know we've both felt that Puma pass was going to be I mean, he's not going to be Lamar Jackson, but thought he would be put in a better position to succeed and make more plays than he has.
Speaker 1: Let's move over to the SEC. Florida thirty seven Vanderbilt twenty seven at nice little front door cover here, Dan So, the Gators trailed twenty one thirteen and a half. Vandy seemed to be having a lot of success, but in the second half.
Speaker 2: That was that was a happy twenty one thirteen.
Speaker 1: But it was so very happy. It was twenty one three, very quick for sure. In the second half, Florida imposed its will. They outscored Andy twenty four to six. It was, if nothing else, a sloppy let down win for Florida, but again on a weekend that was all about surviving and advancing. What do they say, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your buddy. And that's where we stood with this Florida Vandy game. Florida has Georgia in two weeks. As we said earlier that game, I am. I'm eager to get your thoughts on that game when the time comes. But for now, nice win for Florida.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's it's time to start making peace with Florida's offense taking steps in the right direction. Felipe Frank's making plays. Michael p Ryan is probably one of the what three, four or five best running backs in the SEC.
Speaker 1: Good likes real good.
Speaker 2: There is a rhythm to Florida that we haven't really seen. Granted, yes it's Vandy. Yes Florida should have been them forty five to ten, but they Florida hasn't been a team to come back when they've gone down big these past few years. And so I really am I am believing that games like these can ultimately be an indicator in the in the sort of big picture of Florida.
Speaker 1: Tennessee thirty Auburn twenty four. First things, first, congrats to Tennessee. Nice win. They went on the road, they got the w they rallied they broke their eleven game SEC losing streak, and so all of that taken in tandem, to me, that represents a clear sign of progress for Jeremy Pruett in this program. Jared Wuarrntano picked Auburn.
Speaker 2: Apart, oh my gosh, surgical.
Speaker 1: He picked them apart. He didn't turn the ball over defensively. Tennessee forced Jared Stidham to turn it over three times. Tennessee came to play in this football game, so good fitod for good for Big Orange. That being said, we may be at a point where Auburn could come off the tracks pretty quickly here, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is a Tennessee team that Auburn should be yes at home with a healthy Jarrett Stidham with. I understand the offensive line issues, I understand the running game issues. I understand the injuries in the second and the excuse me in the receiving corps. But this is an Auburn team that should be beating a Tennessee team at home. I don't know what's happened to this offense. I watched a chunk of this game Tennessee just there was more fight to Tennessee. There was more spirit to Tennessee on both sides of the ball. And it's a positive way. When I say it should have been a sign, it should have been a sign seeing how Tennessee played even in losses. The Florida game was ugly and the crazy amount of turnovers, But you know the way they did play to play, to play against Georgia, the way that they have fought, the way that they have looked like they've had more belief than they have in the recent years under Butch Davis. I am. I'm not buying low, but I am encouraged right now by Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Next week, Auburn is on the road at Ole Miss. They're only a three and a half point favorite, and they're on by before a game against A and M. They also play on the road at Georgia, on the road at Bama in November. Yes, and ain't getting any easier for the Tigers. See which direction they had now moving forward? So in the SEC A and M knocks off South Carolina on the road twenty six to twenty three. A and M held the ball for forty one minutes and twenty nine seconds in this football game, Dan.
Speaker 2: They did, and the offensive line isn't great right now for Yan M. But it's okay, they've already played Alabama. I was impressed with Kellen Mond in this game. I figured Travon Williams would do more against the South Carolina front. But still impressive all things considered. In a let down A potential letdown spot after the overtime win against Kentucky, did you see I think it's Jace Sternberg, the big tight end for A and M just dragging the South Carolina safe.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Have you ever dragged anything for thirty yards, let alone a human? Wow? So yes. I think Kendrick Rodgers is still hurt, is out with the bump foot. So impressive for A and M to have the slack picked up by a couple other guys. A good survive in advance. Use that term earlier for texts A and M with moments that weren't great, especially for that defense another and if you can believe it, another targeting call for Donovan Wilson. But A and M you can see the pieces coming together.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Alabama. Alabama wins by a thirty nine to ten score. The story coming out of this game was to a tongue of Aya LOOA tongue about reaggravating his knee. He had a niece brain he reaggravated. It doesn't seem like it's anything serious, but that will be the main thing to watch now as we progress forward through the rest of Alabama's season. Otherwise, you know, Alabama just Hoham picked off Drew Lock's very first pass of the game and sort of set the tone a twenty nine point win. Not really that much to add dan. They looked impressive as ever.
Speaker 2: I liked Miszoo's all of Mazoo's touchdown drive not drives. I liked their early drive. They scripted together a nice few plays to score the two. A thing is not terribly concerning right now. I hope everything is all right. I don't know which knee it is. I think he was wearing a brace in the first half, and then that came off, and you had tweeted out at a certain point, Tie that when will the Earth finally rid itself of every medical and legal TV show idea? Yeah, you know what they haven't done.
Speaker 4: Sports Trainer is fall no ABC, the medical tent, medicine in a ten x ten square foot space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's there was I mean to his mom came in I saw that there was a whole It was a whole thing. Yeah, we hope he recovers quickly. They're not the same team with Jalen Hurts at quarterback, but they might be good enough. Probably still, they might still be good enough.
Speaker 1: All right. They went by twenty nine and to close out the sec ole Miss thirty seven, Arkansas thirty three. Big game for Jordan to Amu, who had over five hundred twenty yards of total offense. Let me move on, Dan, Let's go to the PAC twelve quick here and talk about USC thirty one Colorado twenty. USC is now thirteen and oer versus Colorado all time. They quietly got a nineteen game home winning streak. Somehow gotten lost in the shuffle, but a nice win for USC here. I thought, a good showing for the Trojan defense. They held Colorado down. They had four sacks, sixteen tackles for loss sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not gloss over that number. This is a this is a young defense. They were without Cam Smith there like seventeen year starting middle linebacker Porter Gustin was beat up. The secondary does not look anything like we thought it would look like, you know, January and February and they get after a really feisty Colorado offense.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, I see not a great.
Speaker 2: Game for J. T. Daniels. You know, a couple pay I think the first throw of the game was a pick and was bailed out by you know, Michael Pittman's probably one of the quieter, really good receivers in the country. He bails him out on a really badly underthrown ball for a long touchdown. But yeah, you beat an undefeated Colorado team at home. Hopefully for USC and a conference that badly needs competitive teams, this is a sign of things to come for the true.
Speaker 1: USC also needs to clean up the penalties. They are currently dead last in FBS, averaging eleven and a half penalties per game. They had thirteen in this one. Leaviska Chanalt, by the way, we can't go a show without talking about him. We might get to him with dood alerts. But nine catches seventy two yards to carries forty six yards in a touchdown. He accounted for forty four point five percent of Colorado's offense in this football game.
Speaker 2: In a down game for Laviskas Chanalt, he had eleven touches for one hundred and twenty ish yards in a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Utah forty two Arizona ten Khalil Tait left the game after two drives with an ankle injury. Really though, Utah finding a way to get the job done on offense. This is quietly a story out west that we need to pay a little bit more attention to. Tyler Huntley over his last two games has completed seventy almost seventy eight percent of his passes for four hundred yards, three touchdowns and one interception, averaging about ten yards per attempt. Utah looked good a week ago on offense, looked good, really good against Arizona, granted not at top level defense, but on their first seven drives they had five touchdowns, one turnover on downs and then one that just sort of ended the half. You combine that with a very good defense that sacked Arizona five times. Arizona never really had a chance here.
Speaker 2: No Tyler Huntley throwing touchdownrushing touchdown, and I believe receiving touchdown correct Utah a definite grower. Their offense looked wolf left the first two or three weeks, and it's hard to stay two hung up on Arizona because they're just bad. They're just a bad college football team this year. And you know, Cleil Tate hasn't been the same, He's been beat up. He finally leaves this game. But Utah, with what I believe, they get Oregon at home. They've already lost to Washington, they have the close game against Wazoo. But they get USC and Salt Lake City. That's that's not going to be great for the Trojans. That Salt Lake City is not at place that USC particularly likes to play well. And they host Oregon and their road stuff isn't I mean, it's at UCLA, at ASU, at Colorado and they close out the season with Holy what. All right, but I'm confident in this Utah team.
Speaker 1: All right. And finally in the PAC twelve UCLA thirty seven, Cal seven. It's UCLA's first road win since September seventeenth and twenty sixteen, their first road conference win since November twenty fifteen. On the road at Utah, they forced five turnovers from Cal. Cal have been very turnover prone this year. They've had nineteen in five games, but five in this game. UCLA seems to be figuring things out. A little bit. Now, if you look at the split on how many times they ran versus past fifty five rushes versus only fifteen throwing attempts, I feel like this is going to a place now where we're starting to see more of a Chip Kelly offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Cal's not particularly good. I know their defense had a nice start to the year, and they still do have good pieces on that side of the ball. But it's the story here is UCLA breaking through. I don't want to take too much away from UCLA because there Dorian Thompson Robinson has quietly ascended to a pretty fun level, and you can see the potential if he has surrounded I mean, his offensive line is coming together nicely if he surrounded with probably better level receivers than he has right now pass catchers. The other story is Josh Kelly. Yeah, used to lay these past couple of years, could not run at all the last couple of years of the Jimora era, and quietly have had a couple of good running backs in what it was Paul Perkins before that, Jonathan Franklin forever and Josh Kelly the UC Davis. I don't know if you're familiar with the Aggies, the proud Aggies of UC Davis. But Josh Kelly has transferred in from there, and these past couple weeks against not insignificant opponents in Washington, cal has become quite the name. So good for him. And if you're in Davis, California, get the garlic fries at Pluto's.
Speaker 1: Josh Kelly sixty two carries four hundred and six yards. That's an average of six point five yards per carry and four touchdowns over his last three games.
Speaker 2: You can build around that, ty, you can for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, let's close it out and talk about the Big twelve. Another non marquee matchup for the Horns and another close win for Texas twenty three to seventeen. Was your final? This one came down to the final play. Charlie Brewer threw it out of bouts. But yeah, another case where you called it not a marquee matchup. Texas doesn't cover the points where they win, and clearly they've moved up now well into the top ten. They are positioned nicely. But of note is the fact that Sam Ellinger hurt his throwing shoulder early. He did not return. We saw Shane Buschell come in and get the job done. But certainly the severity of that injury, and I haven't seen anything throughout the course of today, that injury has a lot to say about where Texas's season goes and where the Big twelve goes.
Speaker 2: Well, you yourself are an elite athlete who has dealt with shoulders. Of course, for sure, it's an ac joint sprain for Sam Ellinger, which I think it's grade one. I don't know how good or bad that is. They say they have a bye week, right, and they said they expect him to be in like a pretty good position to potentially play. It was very vague language with regards to the Baylor game itself. Baylor did, Baylor made plays, there was a weird non interception that seemed like an interception, and Texas did just enough to pull this game out. But yes, the ceiling becomes demonstrably lower without Sam Ellinger because this defense can't do it alone. I know they're going to get up for those big games, but I'm worried about this Texas team without Ellinger. All right, if that should come to pass.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to Texas Tech seventeen TCU fourteen. This one on Thursday night. Did I say it out loud or was I just thinking it in my head that we were thinking shootout and this was going to end up being like seventeen fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having to I mean, if you nailed it, you nailed it, and listen, I give you all thy credits. Texas Tech that has a full on occasional defense. I don't know how we can qualify this, but since that Oklahoma State game, they keep Oklahoma State to seventeen, they hold down TCU to fourteen, They basically shut out West Virginia in the second half. I don't want to speak out of turn here, ty, Texas Tech defense might be approaching respectable.
Speaker 1: WHOA I would say they're texting with the defense. They don't quite have it yet, but they're on again, off again, at least flirting with them.
Speaker 2: They're charming. They're charming with the text.
Speaker 1: A lot of emojis going back and forth there, but like good.
Speaker 2: Gift usage and yes, friends, it's gift, they're savvy with the texting.
Speaker 1: Too many mistakes for TCU in this game. Gary Patterson was pretty vocal about that after the game. He just can't turn it over the way they did. And now next week TCU is at home against Oklahoma, so it's not going to get any easier for them. We're coming to a point again where TCU has let me down for like the consecutive year. Set it at the top of the season that I was back on with TCU. Now it seems like maybe we're back off again.
Speaker 2: Baby, I've changed, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, Please have changed? Come on, I got my own place, baby, please, I'm a new me. Yeah, TCU is, it's not. It's just a down year for the Frogs. It's all in here and too many mistakes and not being able to move the ball consistently on the ground. Defensively, they look like TCU. And by the way, just speaking of weird awkward moments on this show, Jet Duffy kind of pulled in this game and then McClain Carter gets hurt and Cliff has to do the whole ooh uh, so I guess if you're still willing, we need you and comes through. Jet Duffy makes plays, has that long run, and Texas Tech another. I mean, they're quietly four and two in a big twelve that is looking like there are two very you know, we've talked about this conference as a as a conference with a very healthy middle class, but it appears that the haves and have nots are sort of separating themselves, and Texas Tech is on the good side.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of quiet teams like Tech, like Duke, like Virginia. We could have a whole silent but deadly episode if we wanted, Yes, it would be quite appropriate at some point this season. And then finally K State thirty one Oklahoma State twelve. I think K State is quickly coming to a point where they're just like, f it, We're gonna run at every play, like what's what's what's even the point here? Alex Barnes has had two games, might still be running two games that are like incredible. One hundred and eighty one yards of four touchdowns on the ground in this game, also had fifty one yard receiving. If you add that in with what he did last week, five hundred and four total yards, seven total touchdowns for Alex Barnes in K State. Again, why do anything else when you could just give it to him?
Speaker 2: Do you think Bill Snyder and Joe Morehead had a call after the game or maybe when they shook hands at the middle of the field. We're just like, hey, should we just run? What are we doing?
Speaker 1: Like? What if?
Speaker 2: Should we just?
Speaker 1: What if we just ran?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was thinking just keep running. This reminds me a lot of old school Yukon. Yeah, Jordan Toddman Randietzel part one, but they just ran it fifty times a game with Jordan Todman and smart enough to say, you know what, maybe we shouldn't throw it a lot with Dan or lost.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't. Maybe let's see what happens, let's you know what fit, let's go to the Fiesta ball And also Oklahoma State, what what happened?
Speaker 1: I have no idea?
Speaker 2: What are you so? Yes? See the Texas Tech game. I was willing to believe that was and a non you know, maybe a let down after that really impressive win over Boise State. They kind of comfortably, kind of weirdly beat Kansas on the road. They lose a shootout to an Iowa State team, and you're like, okay, well, Iowa States, you know, they've been improving pretty steadily these past couple of years. Losing scoring twelve against Kansas State. This Kansas State to get it, Ah, Oklahoma State, you're not on the right side of the haves and have nots right now?
Speaker 1: All right, well there you go. Any other tidbits here, Dan that we need to tell the fine people about.
Speaker 2: I got lots of bits, Ty, you know, you know me, I got lots of bits. First of all, on the ESPN Plus show I do every week with our pel Jeff Schwartz, my mystery pick was Princeton minus forty and a half over Brown. I nailed Colgate last week. This week I went Princeton. They don't cover. They only went by thirty South Florida. I mean, obviously I'm gonna lead with Princeton. Everybody know. Sure, South Florida needs every second of the game to beat Tulsa. What was our it was? It was the what was something cattle? It was the comeback cattle, the cardiac cattle. So yeah, they are an l ro O team. They're going to lose, and they're going to lose in spectacular fashion. Sooner or later, that's fine. They're still pretty good. I'm trying to think what else stood out to me. Utah State and app State maybe the two best group of five teams right now? Is that is that crazy to see? I think Jordan Love is pretty incredible to watch. App State proved itself to be for real with that Penn State game and then subsequently murdering everybody else San Diego State. If you want to talk about what they're five and one. They have the bad loss, and you disrespected them. I did. I most certainly did you have them. I owe you a breakfast burrito because of it. After they take down Arizona States, Buffalo a very at six and one with a pretty comfortable win over Akron and you know, I'm not going to repeat your nickname for their star receiver, but just know he exists. UA be another quiet five and one. They murder Rice and put up some huge numbers through the air. North Texas. That solid verbal bump the mean Green six and one right now, led by their defense, which I can't imagine was a popular way of looking at Seth Latrell in this team. But they comfortably beat Southern miss Western Michigan gets to five and two, bowling Green fires their head coach. I saw that Interim Carl Polini did not expect to say that those three words together in twenty eighteen. But here we are. Navy appears to be down this year. We'll see if they can come back the second half of the season, but they lose to Temple and Jeff Collins hasn't lost in conference. And I think it's slowly building Temple into something. I mean, there's I don't know what it is, ty Temple all of the sudden a string of promising coaches is that. It's very strange to say.
Speaker 1: But well, we should do some contract work for other schools looking for coaches.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are evaluating well. And Houston gets to five and one. Another impressive day for the Cougars. And you mentioned Virginia Tech. I don't think. I mean BYU makes a quarterback change. Tanner Mangum somehow is not still the quarterback. They turned to a freshman, Zach Wilson, who at nineteen I believe is the youngest quarterback ever to start a game from BYU. Yeah, that's the thing. And very quietly, if we're just going to speak about silent but deadly, Fresno has that loss to Minnesota, that crazy last second loss, but Marcus mcmaary and the Oregon State transfer quarterback has been pretty electric for them. They demolish Wyoming. Fresno State probably has one of the best twelve to fourteen defenses in the country, so pretty cool on the San Joaquin Valley's finest and Jeff Tedfords Fresno Se And you got any dudes, so Ty, I always have dudes, all right?
Speaker 1: Who we've got here in week sex breathlessly.
Speaker 2: Usc is entire damn defense, Alex Barnes, CJ. Verdell, who is enormous for Oregon, and they're upset purty like a Brock Star Brock perty Felton Davis, Xavier Ubosi. I mentioned Uab he had damn near two hundred yards through the air catching receiving. Excuse me, Tyler Huntley. We mentioned Jordan Love for Utah State another I think at five touchdown passes, Michigan's entire offensive line, Iowa's tight ends TJ. Hockinson and Noah Fant the most Iowa sounding tight ends in the world. Carter Kaughlin who was everywhere from Minnesota on their defensive line. Assumption College and I guess LSU College is Cole Tracy made a ton of field goals for LSU. And you, Ty, you're a dude, this thank you putting up with this ridiculous, ridiculous equipment issue we're having.
Speaker 1: Well It's been a long, tiring day and weekend, but nonetheless a lot of.
Speaker 2: Our what our sixth seventh recording attempt.
Speaker 1: At least, we started at nine point thirty this morning and it wasn't until about high noon that we decided to pack it in to take five or take take nine hours whatever, yeah, and give herself a chance to figure this out, and then we started back up. It didn't work. Switch MIC's mid episode. We're going to get a podcast out there, well probably hopefully.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to it, congratulations, did.
Speaker 1: We did it? Hopefully we'll get things figured out in time for Wednesday. I think we will. But yeah, a monumental showing of stamina here by both you and I.
Speaker 2: Dan, I got a belly full of luxurious Indian food and still nothing but love for week seven, Daniel.
Speaker 1: On that note, a very fun week. We will be back on Wednesday to break down all of week eight. The slate isn't as robust as we saw in week seven, but if the last couple weeks have been any indication, it'll be just as crazy as ever. So keep it right here solid Reble dot com. You can also find us on social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. We've also got a sub reddit out there at reddit dot com slash r slash Solid Verbal buy Verballers, four verb Ballers, and as always, keep thinking up those witty comments because the Reverblond, which we open up every weekend is like the coolest thing ever. I love that thing so much. Thank you so much for calling in. Thank you to our boy Taylor who helps us out each and every week with the reverbs. Thank you to our friend Nick who helps us with all things Pack twelve and some of these points breads. We've had a lot of help this year, and it's a lot of fun, a lot of fun to be part of this. For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty Hildebrand, thank you again so much for tuning in for bearing with us. We'll be back on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, stay solid, peace,