Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: December eighteen, two thousand eight, from Comedy Central's World News headquarters in New York.
Speaker 3: This is The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.
Speaker 1: Well, come turn the Daily Show. Everybody.
Speaker 4: Thank you for shooting in, Thank you for coming out.
Speaker 1: I'm Trevor Noah.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is a rap icon who put out one of my.
Speaker 1: Favorite albums this year.
Speaker 6: Push your tears here, everybody on the show.
Speaker 1: And I'm not gonna lie after he's beef with Drake.
Speaker 5: I'm a little nervous to interview him because we've all seen what he can do the light Skin Brothers. But first, let's catch up on today's headlines. There's a ton of stuff in the news.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 5: CBS announced there was firing Les Moonvez without paying him his one hundred and twenty million dollars In severance. Japan has said it's getting back into the military game, building its first aircraft carrier since World War Two. Yeah, so basically Japan is like Louis c k. They're like, Okay, we did something bad, but I think enough time as pause.
Speaker 1: Got to get back in the game now.
Speaker 5: And if you love weapons and the news of the Trump administration banning bump stocks has you sad well.
Speaker 1: New York States is about to turn that frown upside down.
Speaker 7: A federal judge rules New York's statewide ban on nunchucks is unconstitutional under the Second Amendment. The ban on the martial arts weapon was adopted in nineteen seventy four. There were fears of the popularity of kung fu films would lead to criminals, especially young gang members, using nunchucks.
Speaker 6: Yes, do you get people, Nunchucks are back, baby back what I feel like I'm fourteen years old again from God and buy some nunchucks and then go home and masturbate furiously. And all of this is happening thanks to the lawsuit of one very committed New Yorker Cowabanga dudes.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I will say.
Speaker 5: I will say, New York clearly has its parodies off, like it's seeking forever to legalize weed, but nunchucks are now fair game. Like of all the cities in America, New York is the worst place to legalize nunchucks.
Speaker 1: Everyone is already highly strung, and now you're throwing in ninja tools like Someway.
Speaker 5: Fights out about to get real, like the only good thing about New York is that it's maybe two crowded to actually pull your arm out, So people are gonna be in the train like, man, if I had.
Speaker 6: Two if I had two feet, oh man, you like you?
Speaker 1: Oh you? Oh? And you go off, lady, I would be all you. I swear to God.
Speaker 5: Once this train clears out after Canal Street, I'm gonna kick all y'all.
Speaker 1: For now. I'm just gonna make the Bruce Lee sounds.
Speaker 5: I want to say, though, Like the one benefit of nunchucks is that it's the only weapon that hurts the user more than the victim.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah, It's just be like someone mugging, you like.
Speaker 5: Give me all your mug, give me a give me a ah. Yeah, if I'm in a nunchuck mugging, there's a fifty percent chance that I'm going away with his watch. I like that.
Speaker 1: Moving on to some other news.
Speaker 5: By now we all know about the gender wage gap between men and women.
Speaker 1: It's really the worst gap after the baby gap. Nothing in my size.
Speaker 5: And today today the World Economic Forum released a study saying that the gender wage gap is going away.
Speaker 1: In two hundred and two years.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I should have led with that part yeah, which, let's be honest, is bad news for everyone who's alive today because it means at this rate, we won't live to see the gap close, right, Well except for Jennifer Lopez, who's the only person aging slowly enough. Yeah, because in two hundred years she'll be like, what fifty seven?
Speaker 1: I think? No, wait, fifty eight, sorry, fifty eight.
Speaker 5: Moving on to some technology news, it turns out people hates it.
Speaker 8: People are slashing tires, throwing rocks, pointing guns at self driving cars. People in Arizona have recorded twenty one incidents of this in the past two years on the Arizona Republic reports. In other cases, people stood in front of the vehicles to prevent them from driving, yelled at them, chase them, and force them off the road. The article says, people appear to be frustrated by their presence.
Speaker 5: People are chasing and yelling at cars. I'm pretty sure this has less to do with self driving cars and more to do with Arizona's meth problem, because someone shouting at a car just sounds like a crazy guy who sees transformers way too many times. He's like, hey, you bumblebe, you bumble bee, I know you're bumble Bae, bubblebe I know you're there.
Speaker 1: I kind of understand it, though.
Speaker 5: It's got to mess with you when you have road rage, but then there's no one to direct it.
Speaker 1: That just driving your car. You know you cut me off, You invisible asshole. You not even hear piece of shit? You know what, man, I just throw a rock at you.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 5: And finally in headlines, the world's worst charity has closed its doors.
Speaker 10: President Trump will be closing down his charity, the Donald J. Trump Foundation. It was sued by a New York's attorney general overclaims that Donald Trump's children abused its tax exempt status and violated campaign finance laws.
Speaker 11: We have a tweet here from the New York State Age Attorney General's office. The foundation functioned as little more than a checkbook to serve mister Trump's interests. Our lawsuit remains ongoing.
Speaker 5: That's right, Donald Trump's charity, which frequently spent money on Donald Trump, has been forced to shut down.
Speaker 1: Which makes sense.
Speaker 5: I mean, if the beneficiary of the charity has become president, I think the charity.
Speaker 1: Has done his job. It's time to shut it down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the same way all the people who used to send me a dollar when I was back in Africa, stopped paying me when I became host of the Daily Show.
Speaker 1: It's done. Yeah, it worked out.
Speaker 5: And if you're saying, hey, Trevor, weren't you already successful before you.
Speaker 1: Got this job, what the heck are you? Robert Mala shut up now, I'm gonna be honest with you, guys. I'm even shocked that Trump had a charity.
Speaker 5: I always thought the only Trump charity was the woman who agreed to have sex with him.
Speaker 12: But but, but this is.
Speaker 5: Real, This is real, And it turns out the Trump Foundation did a lot of shady shit that caught the eye of investigators, like when Trump used twelve thousand dollars from his charity to buy himself a helmet signed by Tim Tebow, which is something even Tim Tebow wouldn't once.
Speaker 1: And he even.
Speaker 5: Spends ten thousand charity dollars to buy a portrait of himself to hang up in his own golf club.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, at this point, the least the man can do is donate that painting to a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, free nightmares for the rest of your life. All right, let's move on. Tell our main story.
Speaker 5: Twenty eighteen is almost over, but it feels like the whole country is still nursing a hangover from the twenty sixteen presidential election.
Speaker 1: Trump is still obsessed with Hillary.
Speaker 5: Malla is still investigating Trump, and Democrats are about to launch a slew of new investigations into his campaign. It feels like a billion years from now, just before the sun dies out, the last thing you will hear before the universe goes silent is no collusion, and then there'll be one more Avengers movie and then it's over. But now, over two years later, we're still learning about how deep the Russian rabbit hole goes. Russia's interference in the election is a serious thing, especially because they targeted one group in particular.
Speaker 13: This is really important what I'm about to tell you right now, because there's new information. Two new reports commissioned by the Senate Intelligence Committee looked at data provided by Facebook, by Twitter, and Google, and they found that they were trying to suppress African American votes.
Speaker 14: The Russian set up thirty Facebook pages targeting African Americans, specifically, ten YouTube channels five hundred and seventy one videos related to police violence against African Americans. Some of these posts distorted the record of Hillary Clinton and former President Barack Obama.
Speaker 13: Facebook ads were targeted at users who had shown interest in particular topics, including black history, the Black Panther Party, and Malcolm X. The Russian accounts used voter suppression tactics, encouraging black voters to stay home or vote for Jill Stein.
Speaker 5: Oh man, that is so insulting for Jill Stein. Even in Russia. They're like, stay home or vote for Jill Stein? Is sam same thing, same thing. It's almost like the phrase vote for Jill Stein. Is this just the new way of saying waste of time? You know, Like one kid is gonna be like, but dad, I want to be a DJ.
Speaker 1: But like, no son of mine is gonna vote for Jill Stein. His life away. Okay, but that's right.
Speaker 5: It turns out the Russians spent a lot of efforts specifically trying to convince Black Americans not to vote, Like look at this meme that they put out. This is a real meme that they found came from the Russians and says, before you vote, listen to MJ. All I want to say is that they don't really care about us. And I feel bad for Michael the man died ten years ago, and now Vladimir Putin is using him as a propaganda tool. Like if you told Michael Jackson that someday Russians would turn him into a meme to manipulate black people, you know what he.
Speaker 1: Would have said. He would have been like, what's a meme?
Speaker 5: Oh, kids like them, show me how to make one too soon. And what's crazy is that sometimes the Russians went way beyond just putting out memes. They actually convinced people to do stuff in the real world.
Speaker 12: One such operation convinced and paid martial arts instructor Ama Wale Ada Wale to run self defense classes for African Americans to quote, protect your rights, let them know black power matters.
Speaker 1: They convinced you very easily, very very easily.
Speaker 5: Some of the things were, you know, sketchy, but at the end of the day, it's still fitness.
Speaker 1: What I love about this.
Speaker 5: Guy is that for him and most fitness instructors, fitness just comes first.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like the Russians, He's like, yeah, but I mean there was fitness.
Speaker 5: You know, you could say anything, so a fitness instructor, you could be like, do you see what's happening in North Korea. They'd be like, man, those labor camps are disgusting, but you gotta admit they're getting their steps in.
Speaker 1: They're getting their steps in.
Speaker 5: For more on Russians reaching out to Black Americans, we turned now to a real black American, A very dull say slowan everybody.
Speaker 4: K pcan don't say slow in the house, everybody.
Speaker 1: So don't say. I have to ask you, what do you make of this news, Trevor.
Speaker 15: I feel disgusted, I feel manipulated, and I feel special. Russia could have gone after anyone latinos Asians, millennials, but they said, we're going after the ones who count black people.
Speaker 16: Can you believe that? I mean, some white people actually do think black lives matter.
Speaker 1: Well, we hear what, I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 5: But they were only paying attention so that they could manipulate the black vote.
Speaker 16: Yeah, but at least they're paying attention to us.
Speaker 15: The only time our president notices us is when he's fighting with Lebron James on Twitter. I mean, Trump probably thinks that Martin Luther King's last name is Boulevard. But while Trump's ignoring black people, Putin's been looking at us from across the bar this whole time.
Speaker 16: I see you've lad.
Speaker 15: On horseback with them tying nipples. How'd you get that horse in this club?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I get it.
Speaker 5: But doesn't it bother you that Russia only did this to suppress the black.
Speaker 15: Votes, Trevor, you know who else suppresses America's black vote?
Speaker 16: America?
Speaker 1: Have you been to Georgia?
Speaker 15: They made it impossible for some black people to vote. At least Putin gave us a choice. Plus, he's got that cute accent. He'd be like, beautiful brown warmer.
Speaker 17: I throw him.
Speaker 16: It's not the killie. Maybe I like danger.
Speaker 5: So what you're saying is, even though Russia interfered in the election and maybe helped Trump get elected, you're fine with it.
Speaker 15: Oh No, I'm not saying I'm fine with it. I'm just saying I appreciate the effort. In order to do this, they sat down and got to know Black Americans. Our likes, our dislikes are culture. Do you know how hard it must be for a Russian understanding migos?
Speaker 16: You have to learn English and then forget it. I mean, that's the kind of.
Speaker 15: Work I want my government to put in, don't say.
Speaker 1: Sloan to everybody, don't work that well, come back to a damn show.
Speaker 5: You know, going home for the holidays is often a recipe for disaster. But what if I told you your next awkward family gathering could actually make the world a better place.
Speaker 1: Well, Daisi Leidek has more.
Speaker 18: Our country is experiencing the most divisive time in recent history, but the holidays are upon us. I want to find out what families are doing is stay connected this season?
Speaker 1: We just ignore family around the holidays.
Speaker 10: We stay a ray farm.
Speaker 8: Relatives that are racist.
Speaker 18: Take annidepressants, get medicaids, medicated. You got lots of racist relatives, yes, Unfortunately, what do you do when your racist cousin says something rat.
Speaker 16: House, not allowed in my house. Not allowed in my house, oh way house rules.
Speaker 1: My grandfather was racist.
Speaker 5: When we would watch football and people of particular color would be running down the field, he would share for them using the not nice times.
Speaker 18: Joe, he's dead now, Yes, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 16: That's probably for the best.
Speaker 18: I was starting to see a pattern, particularly among white families. But crazy shit like this doesn't have to be a holiday tradition. Luckily, there's a solution, and that's where I come in by letting this guy come in. Meet doctor David Camp as a racial dialogue expert. He travels the country running a workshop called the White Ally Toolkit, where woke white liberals learn to effectively communicate with then not so woke. David's basically the white people whisper.
Speaker 19: So, how many of you folks have racist friends relatives that you think you might see over the holidays? Everybody? So, the method that you wanna think about is race, and race stands for reflect ask connect expands. Let's suppose that person is your cousin Biff.
Speaker 18: How does he know my cousin Beth?
Speaker 19: And Biff wants to talk about how affirmative actions keeping him out of a job and making black folks lazy? What do you do? Not my house? What does that mean?
Speaker 18: Means it's not lied in your house, my house, my rules, not my house.
Speaker 19: Well, or you can try to influence people and stay connected to them.
Speaker 1: You ask him what happened in his life to cause him to believe that is that? Is?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 1: Is that? No, it's not.
Speaker 19: Actually that's correct. That's exactly what you should do. Alright, Let's turn to the next part of the scenario. So what's important to do is to find something you can agree with and what Biff said and connect with him.
Speaker 18: Now, I can't connect with Bef.
Speaker 16: I can't.
Speaker 19: He's as an official black person. I'm telling you you can connect with them.
Speaker 14: You're you have it.
Speaker 8: I gotta be real honest with you.
Speaker 18: I may be white on the outside, but on the.
Speaker 8: Inside, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 18: I did see a black panther nine times though, that very much identified with it.
Speaker 19: That's great, But you are a white person, yeah, and you have a similarity to Biff that I do not.
Speaker 18: Okay, you know, I hear you. I get it now, I get it now, Okay. To see if this was effective, I needed to try it out in the real world. I've decided to put David's methods to the test, and there's no better place to find conflicting family views than New Jersey. The co Francisco family had a history of dinners gone bad, so they were more than willing to let any random stranger with cameras come into their home if it meant their holidays could be more pleasant.
Speaker 16: What's on your sweater?
Speaker 18: Just you know, your standard traditional christmaswater It's black yeah, it's just a Stanta sweater pop up.
Speaker 19: Would you wear a sweater lake diseas?
Speaker 12: Maybe not.
Speaker 18: If I would have known you were in your black's ancestor, I would woar my black Jesus sweater.
Speaker 12: Jesus is.
Speaker 16: Jesus isn't black or white. He's actually he's Middle Eastern.
Speaker 1: Jewish Jewish religion.
Speaker 16: Jewish is a religion. The nationality part was Jewish.
Speaker 18: Well, if Jesus wasn't going to bring this family together at Christmas time, there was only one thing that could.
Speaker 1: So who likes football? I don't watch football anymore? He hasn't watch football all year?
Speaker 16: How you watch football all year?
Speaker 1: Because I don't like what's going on? The kneeling. The kneeling, Yes, I don't like it.
Speaker 18: You don't like it at all?
Speaker 19: I disagree.
Speaker 18: It was time to work my magic. Okay, so you say that you disagree, Yes, okay, this is the point of the conversation where you need to connect.
Speaker 3: You're really gonna let some kneeling before the football game stop you from watching the entire game, the entire thing that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Just don't watch the kneeling hand show the race.
Speaker 19: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I'm trying to.
Speaker 18: Teach you how to how to civilize conversation. I think it's going great. I really feel that this family is responsive to the techniques that I've shown them. I think David would feel very proud of the way when I'm handling this.
Speaker 1: I looked a TV on and I watched this kid kneel down. I shut it off. I don't want to watch him.
Speaker 16: Just like let him feel. Who cares. They're like making a statement. It's a peaceful protest.
Speaker 18: Okay, very good, very good, very good. You actually just did all four steps in one statement. You were reflecting on what was happening here, you asked for help, you were connecting with me, and you were expanding on an idea.
Speaker 12: All four.
Speaker 1: What's so happy about it? It's a scary type of men right now?
Speaker 16: Men?
Speaker 1: Just men.
Speaker 18: Well, there's always next year. Something tells me.
Speaker 1: I'll be back.
Speaker 4: Guys you like everyone go the right back. Welcome back to the Getty Show.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is a legendary rap up whose latest album Daytona just received a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Album.
Speaker 9: Please welcome, push a Tea. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks, I'm so glad to finally have you here, and most importantly, congratulations on your Grammy nomination.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 12: That is wow.
Speaker 1: I felt a little bit about that. Yeah, they're super good about that.
Speaker 5: I know people say things, but you said about a year ago and the album came out, You're like, yo, I'm getting nominated for the Grammy, and now it happened.
Speaker 1: Did you will get into existence?
Speaker 17: I knew it, like I honestly knew it.
Speaker 5: What What was it about this album that made you feel like, Yo, this is a Grammy nod man?
Speaker 17: We had the luxury of time, which is why the album is entitled Daytona. That's my favorite watch the Rolex Daytona, right, and me and Kanye had the luxury of time. We really crafted it. We really just put our all into it, but we took our time.
Speaker 5: A lot of people have referred to you as your favorite rappers, favorite rapper.
Speaker 17: I am, I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a lyricist.
Speaker 5: You create a in a in a really organic way, and it feels like like hip hop is.
Speaker 1: Meant to feel, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: What's also interesting is you created an album that is shorter than most of the music we used to know, like these days people are making albums are like twenty tracks long and it's like an hour and a half and it doesn't it And you came in and you're like, no, I'm gonna make it punchy, I'm gonna make it short, and I'm gonna make it fire. Was that a specific decision that you made to buck the trend or was were you just creating what you created?
Speaker 17: Definitely to buck the trend. You know a lot of people make long albums, and you know, sometimes they have a lot to say, so they make long albums or they make long albums so the streaming numbers, you know, go higher and makes theirselves bigger, and.
Speaker 1: The music may be a little cheap.
Speaker 17: So, you know, just so people knew that we weren't playing those type of games, we made a shorter album, seven songs, straight to the point of all killer, no filler.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 5: The the album has been met with I mean just resounding reviews from everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone from you know hip hop. Genuinely it has like I've got to rip out for the year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of people are a lot of people are saying that, and your fans love you. I mean this this was the next level. Last week, you lost your Cardier bracelet in the crowd, right, and then one of your fans returned the bracelet to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, a great man.
Speaker 5: Is that a reflection of how good your music is or how lame your fans are?
Speaker 1: Which one is it?
Speaker 17: I think he was just an honest guy.
Speaker 1: I thought I was so. But that's love.
Speaker 5: That's love though, right, you don't expect that to happen, Like when was it?
Speaker 1: Like Anglo something? He went in, He went in with the chain and then like you came, you against, but you never come and then the chain was guarded and that was it. The chain never came back. It was done right, but you got you got it back.
Speaker 5: Like there's a special connection that you share with your fans. Do you think that as an artist you've managed to maintain that sense of being underground whilst being commercially successful.
Speaker 1: Definitely?
Speaker 17: You know I say that, You know, I go out and I perform in front of two thousand people, right, and to me, those are like the coolest two thousand people in the world. Like they're like they tell me what to where, they tell me what to buy, they tell me what's fresh. I learned everything from those guys, now I can go, you know, during festival season and we're doing forty fifty thousand people. But it's something about those two thousand, right that are just like really honed in and really, I don't I don't call them fans, I call them family.
Speaker 5: That's a It sounds like you're a fan of your fans for sure, Like they teach me everything.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a different way to see it.
Speaker 5: The album was powerful, not just because of the lyrics but also because of the music. But from the very beginning it was met with controversy because the album cover was something that polarized so many people. On the album cover, you had the picture of the bathroom where Whitney Houston was found.
Speaker 1: And I mean I remember when this came out.
Speaker 17: People were, no, No, that's not the bathroom where she was found.
Speaker 1: That was just her home bathroom.
Speaker 5: Right, okay, And so this was Whitney Houston's bathroom, and a lot of people were like, why why that imagery?
Speaker 17: I felt like, you know, this image spoke to exactly what's going on on the album. It's organized chaos, it's it's luxury, it's drugs, it's.
Speaker 1: It's just chaos. Do you feel like, do you feel like you you revel in that? Is that like a world?
Speaker 5: Because you know what, you know, what I find interesting about you is you never strike me as somebody who doesn't seem out of control, and yet what you rap about is everything that's happening in the world that's beyond your control.
Speaker 1: Is that? Is that? Is that conscious? Is that who you are?
Speaker 17: I mean, I make luxury street rap, and you know.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating luxury street rap.
Speaker 17: We're gonna talk about everything. We're gonna talk about the good, the bad, the ugly, the benzes in jail too, talk about everything.
Speaker 5: You You actually wrote a song when Meek Mill was in prison, and that's what would Meek do?
Speaker 17: Yeah, man, because I wish he was on that record.
Speaker 1: What are you feeling like like that? Honestly?
Speaker 5: Like you see somebody like Meek Mill go to prison, and you know a lot of the time people say about hip hop or sports or whatever, especially as a black man in America, people go, I made it out right, this is this is a life I get to live so that I don't get trapped in the life that was destined for me in many ways.
Speaker 1: When you saw Meek in that situation.
Speaker 5: Was there a part of it that touched you where you were like, that's like close to home.
Speaker 17: Totally because me is one of my favorite rappers and he's like a rapper that I've watched. I watched him on DVDs. I watched him just come up as a kid. He was actually popping a wheelie in one of my first videos.
Speaker 1: Like when I first started.
Speaker 17: It's just like a kid on a bike in the neighborhood and were like, yeah, do that, willie and he.
Speaker 1: Did it right.
Speaker 17: So to watch him, watch his rise, see how great he is as an MC, and then him going through you know, legal troubles for popping a willie actually right, it was terrible. And then you know, now you see him now and you know he's came out with his new albums Hot.
Speaker 1: And it's through the roof. Everybody loves it.
Speaker 17: But it's like, man, he had to go through all of that just to get back to this point.
Speaker 5: It's amazing how it feels like the world that you've been in us Pusher t you have been at the epicenter of hip hop music and entertainment news over the past year. Yes, you know, we cannot speak about Pusher tea without talking about the Drake beef. You know, like, as soon as you sat down, the first thought I have in my head is do I have a son that you want to tell me about?
Speaker 1: Pusher? No?
Speaker 5: Man, I just I just wondered one thing, and that was like, do do you ever feel like like, do you feel like rap battles are something that are still Are they still relevant in today's rap culture or do you think that like people have lost like a sense of what they were or what they're supposed to because some people go, rap battles were around when you know, when rap was like about shooting people, and now rap has changed in its image and rap is not just now it's like the battles are more about the flow and the lyrics. And people go, oh, but pusha you went into family that's over the edge. But people go, but there's no edge in a rap battle.
Speaker 17: There is no edge in rap battles. Everybody has to stop that narrative. It's terrible, right, They're like ruining the game. You know, you know, in a rap battle it's is doggy dog, right, and you just go for it and it's about it's not so much always about lyricism. It's about just being scathing and and and getting a rise, getting a rise out of your opponent, right or making them.
Speaker 1: Hush you you.
Speaker 5: You did feel like it went to the next level though, when you were at a concert in Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then like one of.
Speaker 5: Drake's people or fans jumped onto the stage. That was but it was at that point do you think to yourself, all right, maybe rap beefs are not for me? No over me right, No, It's very much like when when you look at this when you look at this album though, when you look at it, like like a rap battle, what part of a rap battle informs how you make the music like, cause it's different disciplines, right, But at the same time, like even that clip we watched, it feels like you're battling. It's like a flow that you're going through. There's no there's no beat that comes in yet, there's no nothing is broken. It's just you rhyming, just like going through those bars one one, one rhyme after another. It feels like is that what luxury street rap is?
Speaker 17: I mean, that's that is just the criteria for my style of rhyme, right, It's it's always gonna feel combative. It's always gonna feel You're always gonna feel that angst. You're always gonna get that message.
Speaker 1: Not everybody's like that.
Speaker 5: Why do you think people connected with the album? Why do you think it's nominated for Grammy?
Speaker 1: Because this is the purest rap album that people.
Speaker 17: Have had in a long long time. And just to be honest, I mean this is quintessential samples from Kanye West and lyric driven hip hop from pusha Tea, the best rapper, best producer. That's the album of the year period.
Speaker 5: Before I Let you Go, Before I Let you Go, one of the headlines you made this year is you said, the make America great again hats is this generation's Ku Klux Klan hood.
Speaker 1: But your friend to pomful statement.
Speaker 5: But as you said, your friend and collaborator, Kanye West, your business partner.
Speaker 1: He wears that hat with He doesn't anymore. He doesn't anymore.
Speaker 5: No, let me ask you honestly as a friend, because he stopped though he stopped.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I want to talk to you about this as a person. Okay. It's like because we were talking about this on the show. Now you see.
Speaker 5: Families where people argue about this. You see friends. We don't live in the world where everyone agrees on the same thing. I don't think you can cut off friends for not agreeing with you as somebody who.
Speaker 1: Has your beliefs.
Speaker 5: How do you even begin those conversations with somebody who you know connects with you on so many other things?
Speaker 17: Can you imagine having those conversations while he's trying to make my album?
Speaker 1: Like he's like, we basically.
Speaker 17: Has you know, my life and his palm, and I have to tell him that I hate something, right, so we're like, you know it was, you know, we always have real conversations always, And I think that's why me and him connect so well. And I think that's why Daytona came out so well, because it's a give and take. If I don't like something, I say it and he tries to correct it and so on and so forth.
Speaker 5: And when you when you look at Kanye West, now you know one of the things we kind of escape is the fact that he is a genius who is tormented by.
Speaker 1: His mental health issues.
Speaker 5: And now now we've goten to the point where we were like, oh, maybe it's not as much of a joke as people liked it to be, and he's come out and said, hey, I want to talk about this. I want to I want to get something done with this. In the hip hop community, it feels like mental health is not something anybody can speak about.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's going to change? I hope so.
Speaker 17: I mean I've been pretty ignorant to mental health as well, just being honest, just growing up in my household. You know, man, I think my parents, my grandparents, my great grandparents, they went through it all right, So you know when you uh, you know, uh, saying that somebody is crazy was just a word, you know, used loosely, right, And mental health is something that nobody, you know, in coming up, when we were coming up, nobody just looked towards that. And now and learning about it, yeah you can. It's it's a real, real thing.
Speaker 5: Well, I just want to say, man, thank you for being on the show. Thank you for making one of my favorite albums of the Congratulations from the Grammy Nome, Thank you, Thanks so good.
Speaker 16: To have you.
Speaker 1: Ony Day Turn Up is available now.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 1: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast