Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong, Joe Kaddy, I'm strong and Jackie and now he.
Speaker 3: Arms all.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been abandoned. Joe abandoned me. He and his wife Judy are on.
Speaker 4: A fortieth anniversary vacation starting today.
Speaker 2: He might check in at some point as they are going on a cruise.
Speaker 4: In Alaska to Alaska, around Alaska, not exactly sure, and Scott Alaska and even Heather Myers or a newsperson has abandoned me.
Speaker 2: So I'm completely alone.
Speaker 4: I feel rejected. I feel like I did in high school. Actually that's what I do. I feel like I did.
Speaker 2: In ice school. Nobody likes me. I'm all alone.
Speaker 4: We do have some I hadn't planned on starting with a ran the war with Iran, and we are going to talk to I think Mike Lyons a little bit later in the show about that. I also want to talk to him about Ussia and Ukraine. Is there some even more developments showing that Ukraine might actually win this thing?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Got to say something about Iran, some major breaking news around that. So the question for the past several days had been jd Vance and Donald Trump making all kinds of claims that nobody can back up, and the Aranians are saying we didn't agree to that, and everybody wondering, are they just lying or what is going on here? Well, guy at the head of the IAEA, man, does that bring back memories talking about Iraq way back in the day weapons inspects? That was all the talk back in two thousand and three. We went on the air in San Francisco in March of two thousand and three, thank you gladys, because the Iraq war wasn't coming, and lots of talk about weapons inspectors and were their weapons of mass destruction and all that sort of stuff, and the IAEA was right at the center of it.
Speaker 2: And the guy from.
Speaker 4: The IAEA came out today and said, yeah, yeah, we're going to be back on the ground in Iran. It's part of the deal with Iran, and we've seen it with the language and we will be on the ground inspecting or attempting to suss out whether or not they've got a nuclear program or not. So the IAEA is on board. Why Iran continues to say we didn't agree to that. I have no idea. I don't know if they just like jerking Trump around, jerking the world around, being naughty as they signed on to disagreement to show their I don't know what it is, or if they have to say this for their domestic audience, not the college kids that were in the street before they got mowed down by machine guns who want the regime overthrown. But you know the people that wear all black enchant and death to America in the street. Maybe they and because there's still the millions of those people, uh, maybe they have to to that crowd say we didn't agree to that. The United States is not going to dictate that we give up our nuclear program. According to the IAEA, the International Atomic ia Enforcement Administration, I think that's what it is. According to the IAEA, they are going to be on the ground and that's part of the agreement. So that's big news. That is big news. JD Vance wasn't free lance, and it wasn't making it up, wasn't lying. Neither was Trump when they said no, no, Ran doesn't know what they're talking about. That isn't part of the agreement. So maybe that other stuff is part of the agreement too. I don't know. So we can talk about that later. The thing that is pretty big news is the clean sweep of socialist candidates there in New York backed by Zoran Mandan Mom Dunny, the Communist mayor of New York City. He backed to some socialist candidates. This is a primary, so this is Democrats running against the Democrats. Is one of those deals where at least in three races the Democrats came out and said, no, we want somebody way to the left of the person that's currently in charge. And is this a really really big deal? I think it certainly could be. It's a big deal in New York. Could it be a big deal for the whole country? I guess we'll see over time. But I was reading Mark Hauprin's analysis today in his newsletter. Well, a couple of things that happened. So ha, King Jeffries, who's the current leader of the Democrats and the House of Representatives. He will be the Speaker of the House when the Democrats take back the House in November. I think it's a when, not an if. It's just by how much he will be the Speaker of the House. They put him on the screen to congratulate one of those Socialist candidates last night after they won and the.
Speaker 2: Crowd booed him.
Speaker 4: That's how far out of step with the mainstream Democrat Party some of these people that won yesterday are they booed the guy that's going to be Speaker of the House and their own party. Kim Jeffreys had endorsed the other person in that race, and another one of the races, Nancy Pelosi had endorsed the guy. It was actually the guy that was the leader of the prosecution in Trump's first impeachment. Forget his name, Goldman, I think, but anyway, established big deal, you know, a ranking Democrat, and he lost to Nancy Pelosi had backed him, and he lost to one of the Mamdani socialist candidates. So Mark Alprin writing today that the most important implication of what happened yesterday is the continuing failure of the establishment of the Democratic Party in the media to accept, acknowledge and understand a simple historical fact. If the establishment had not rigged the rules and mobilized an inside game, Bernie Sanders would have been the party's presidential nominee in sixteen and twenty. The Democrats rigged the game to stop Bernie from being their candidate. Oh my god, the Democratic Party is way to the left of where the media and the leading Democrats think they are. The energy is way left of that. And he compares it to how the Republicans ignored, for instance, Ron Paul and Pat Buchanan and the and these movements went in the Republican Party for years and then got blindsided by Donald Trump when he comes along and found out that, Wow, most Republicans are really happy, unhappy with what we've been doing for a long time, and are willing to try something different. That is what has been happening in the Democratic Party for a long time. They wanted to elect Bernie the establishment Democrats rigged the game so he couldn't get in there. But they pretended that that whole movement, you know, wasn't there. Well, lo and behold, it turns out they're still there. They're very energized. There's more of the young end of it electing these socialist candidates. And is this going to start sweeping the country. And what does this mean when the Democrats take back the House of Representatives, that they're going to have a really loud wing of their caucus that could be quite loud in terms of make a noise for socialists. We'll play some of the clips a little bit later. But the people that won last night chant and free, free Palestine, eliminate ice, eliminate prisons, government owned grocery stores. I mean, you know, all that sort of stuff, and wow, I say, wow, So that's a pretty big deal. We've got a couple of political pundits we'll talk to over the next forty eight hours about what that means. We got some foreign policy military people about what's going on with the war and wars I should say, wars and all that sort of stuff. And then I'll have charming anecdotes from my life also that I will throw in. My youngest is headed off on a boy scout trip tonight. I dropped him off at the airport and he's gonna be gone for a week. He's actually gonna be gone for three weeks out of like twenty four days, so he's only going to be home for a couple of days in a twenty four day period. In three week period, he's going to go on these week trips, come back for like a day, do laundry, go back on a boy scout trip, and stuff really involved with the boy Scouts. But it's gonna be very weird for me because I have been having him around pretty much every day of his life, because he's been homeschooled mostly every day of his life for.
Speaker 2: Since he was born. And he's fourteen, And how am I going to adjust this? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Am I gonna sit in the corner and cry, I'm gonna have a party? Haven't decided yet. Maybe I'll have a party where at the end of it I will cry. I've had that experience also, So we got lots to talk about. I have a big list of headlines that we can mention. A'll run down some of the early guests we're going to have. We'll get to some of those sound bites from the people that won last night, and how scary that is. As socialism sweeps at least New York City, we'll see if it's going to start sweeping the whole country. Anyway, we've got to start the show officially before we get in trouble with the FCC. I don't want to end up in the goolog I'm Jack Armstrong, He's Joe Getty on this. It is Wednesday, June twenty fourth. The days are getting shorter the year twenty twenty six, Armstrong and getting we approve of this program. What's beginning the show roughly at mark.
Speaker 5: Oil prices falling Brent crue the global benchmark is now below seventy six dollars a barrel.
Speaker 2: You can see it right there.
Speaker 5: And this is notable. This is a milestone. This is the lowest level since the day before the war with the Ron began four months ago. So basically oil is now lower than it was at the time right before the war. And also diesel has dipped below five dollars for the first time since March.
Speaker 4: How about that that's what Trump wanted. I mean, if there's a reason Trump made this what I think is a bad deal, it is because he needed to get oil down, gas prices down for the global economy and for the summer in the midterm elections and his approval rating and all that sort of stuff. And oil is now cheaper than it was before the war started.
Speaker 2: How about that.
Speaker 4: I did hear some analysis that I missed this, and if this is accurate, this could be a big deal. So Trump took a hit from a lot of people left right and center over the fact that Iran can now sell oil in dollars US dollars hard currency for the first time in some areas of the energy production. It's been decades, so that's sincely been allowed to do this, And a lot of people, including me, were calling that, why would you give in on that?
Speaker 2: Why would you allow that? What is this gift?
Speaker 4: The idea is Iran had been selling oil under the table to our enemies for a long time at a pretty dang high price because they had some They had some leverage there over China, for instance, our number one enemy on our adversary on the planet, call him an enemy. They could charge Iran a certain amount of money, say yeah, well, we'll get you some oil under the table, but you're gonna have to pay for it. Now that they're allowed to sell it on the open market at the market value, they're actually going to make less money than they were making before selling it under the table. Now, if that's true, and it certainly could be, that's a really interesting idea, and I certainly had missed. That also shows you how all these sanctions just don't work. Been saying in Iran forever sanctioned, in North Korea, forever sanctioned. Lots of countries forever. They often end up getting to do whatever they want to do. But if Faran has to sell oil at the global price as opposed to they're jacked up under the table.
Speaker 2: I'm a drug dealer. Price.
Speaker 4: Wow, maybe that is maybe that is a good thing. I have to talk to somebody about that. I found that very interesting. We'll come back with some of the headlines next.
Speaker 2: Stay here. I ordered donuts, Michael, donuts are on the way. Oh boy, you're happy about that? No, you got the diabetes? Can you eat a donut? Or you usually can? But I eat a little at a time. That is what I do. How does that help? Eating a little at a time because I'm not taking a bunch of sugar in my body at one time, So I don't know anything about that.
Speaker 4: So you if you take in sweets, you should take in a little bit at the time so your body can like, yeah, metabolize the sugar as you go exactly.
Speaker 5: And also all interest I drink water, I'll have protein with it and so it's not just pure sugar going into my bloodstream.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. Shouldn' y' all be doing that? Or is that only?
Speaker 4: Does that matter to me? Should I eating my doughnut slowly. That's what I would do. I tend to jam the whole thing in my mouth and then show it like a beaver or a squirrel or something, and then swallow it in giant chunks.
Speaker 2: But that's one option.
Speaker 4: Interesting, I didn't know that. Okay, to go through some of the headlines, as I mentioned, Heather Myers also abandon abandoning me this week, I'm on my own.
Speaker 2: Everybody had headlines last night.
Speaker 4: I was looking at the Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, La Times.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 4: Mayor Zorn Mamdani emerges a power broker as three of his socialist backed candidates win against mainstream Democrats. This definitely could be a big deal, and we'll talk more about that later. As I said earlier, a couple of other things is from the New York Times, The War the World Forgot. You probably don't even know this is going on, but it is brutal, overshattered, overshadowed by conflicts in Iran, Ukraine and beyond, the fighting in Myanmar's isolated heartland has reached new depths. And I read some of the paragraphs about this, and there are places on this earth where people are fighting for their lives, giving up their lives to defend their families.
Speaker 2: In wars that.
Speaker 4: Nobody is paying any attention to man. It is the history of mankind. This has always existed, probably always will exist. But it's just brutal, brutal, brutal, brutal. I don't know if there's any advantage in Actually don't know if there's any advantage in knowing about that or not. Does that help them any if I know what's going on, Does it help my soul any.
Speaker 2: To know that's going on? I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's a good question right there. I'll ask a philosopher, a priest, and a hobo, and I have give them give their opinion. The TSA has a new idea, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 2: Listen to this.
Speaker 4: You go through your security in the suburbs. They have some sort of TSA checkpoint far away from the airport. You do your security there, then you take a bus to the airport. They're trying this in a couple of different places in the country. Wall Street Journal tested it out, and we'll get to what they thought of it coming up a little bit later. I'm trying to picture that uh SO is this just like I assume you'd be parking there. Yeah, so were they going to have to have new parking lots or you're parking. I don't understand the parking aspect of this, but you go through your security out in the suburbs, get on a bus and it takes you right to the airport. So at the airport itself there are no long lines. I guess that's what they're trying to deal with, is the hubbub there. If you want a little glimpse into what it's going to be like when the Democrats take the House in November. Senate Democrats. I don't think they're going to take the Senate, but they will take the House. Senate Democrats are calling for hearings over a secret five hundred million dollar investment in the the Trump family's crypto ventures. That is going to start day one when the Democrats take over the House. All kinds of investigations into the Trump family finances and won't that be fun to watch. The advice about solar panels is changing. Forever it was known. You may have known this. It was seen as if you buy it outright, it can come out ahead. But the whole leasing thing not so much. It may have flipped completely on its head. Now that federal tax credits are over, we'll have to look into this. If you're buying a house, you might want to know that leasing your solar now makes more sense than buying it outright. I'll get into a few of the details of that. And then this one tied Remember the tide pods became a big deal. They're hoping you're going to enjoy tied tiles. Tied tiles are the new way of doing your laundry. Very exciting stuff. And then finally from the Babylon Bee. I liked this one and it has disappeared from my phone and never mind, that was pretty funny though I thought, oh, here it is. Man on deathbed deeply regrets not spending more time arguing on Facebook.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 4: We've got a little more in depth on some of the stories and some good guests coming up. If you missed the segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on.
Speaker 2: Demand Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: It's been quite amazing that during a war, and a war that in particular had a ton of unknowns throughout it, the stock market continued to set records a lot of the reasons the stock market has been setting so many records over the last couple of years is the all the AI tech stuff. The biggest companies in those top tier stocks that are driving so much of the gains tech companies, and they all got scared about AI just the other day, all of a sudden at the same time, Which is kind of interesting how that would happen like that. The NASDAK dropped two point two percent on Tuesday alone. The Philadelphia Semiconductor Index fell nearly eight percent in one day. Stocks like Navidia, AMD, Intel, Marble, Micron, sand Disc all got hammered.
Speaker 2: What is going on there?
Speaker 4: I wanted to talk to an expert because I am certainly not and Stephen Kates joins this. He is a finance expert clock Tower Financial Consulting. Stephen, thanks for taking a little time for us today.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Happy to talk about this kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Uh great, because well, is this the bursting of the tech bubble that a lot of people have been worried about, or a mini burst or.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 6: Honestly, it's me there, It's not a bursting at this point. I mean, we can look at the what the market has done. Just in the first six minutes of the market open, Nasdaq is up half a percent. Obviously that doesn't erase yesterday is drop, but you know it's not a continuation. We're not careeming lower on the second day here.
Speaker 2: Yesterday was just a bad.
Speaker 4: Day, just just a singular bad day, like with no greater significance.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's what it seems to be. I mean, you can look at you know, where the market's moving, and you know, if we were careening lower opening another two percent down, well that would certainly show some signs that there's continued concerns, you know, a risk off attitude from investors. But you know, I think we've all been conditioned over the last couple of years to expect that, you know, if the market is not going straight up, that something is wrong, and that doesn't happen. You know, sometimes we do just have bad days. Yesterday, you know, there was a catalyst for that. Semiconductor stocks were down and down a lot, and going into yesterday's open in the US. South Korea, which is incredibly exposed to semiconductor stocks, was very negative. It's sell ten percent uh in their market. That happens before the US market opens and so that did affect us, and that was one of the reasons that you know, investors were a bit skittish yesterday. Micron has earnings at the end of the day today after the market closes. That's a big earnings announcement. They're a major player in the semiconductor space. So there are some things going on that investors are concerned about. But you know, this doesn't appear to be the bottom falling out of the market. It was a bad day. We seem to be slightly recovering today across the Nasdaq, the S and P, you know, the Russell two thousand, which is small cap stocks, and that's good to see that, you know, we're seeing a little bit of a bounce.
Speaker 4: I just a couple of weeks ago opened a index fund for each of my teenagers, the high schoolers, and you know, to get them into the got the app on their phone and they can follow it on a regular basis and put their Christmas money in there and all that sort of stuff. And I thought, maybe we get a crash and they maybe that would be a good thing to have. Their first lesson of investing be that it doesn't always go up.
Speaker 2: I don't know well, it's.
Speaker 6: A bad lesson, it has, and I think to have those lessons early on is ideal. I learned that lesson firsthand actually in the industry watching the great you know, coming out of the Great Financial Crisis. I didn't love that lesson, but it was it was a valuable one. Nonetheless, you know, for a lot of people, understanding the way the market moves and what is and isn't normal is one of the most foundational things that you can understand. A lot of people have been conditioned to expect that the market just goes higher, that we get up, up, up all the time, twenty percent growth year over year or year. That isn't the case. We've been very lucky in the last five even fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm thinking we're going to time perfectly for retirement to crash right when I need it. So I'm gonna let you argue with chat GPT. I asked the question, what can you tell me about the big tech sell off? And it said, Uh, investors starting asking a question that they haven't asked much over the last year around the whole tech thing. Are all these trillions of dollars being spent on AI actually going to earn enough money to justify it.
Speaker 2: Is that a question there being the people are asking, I.
Speaker 6: Think that's a legitimate question to ask, and certainly people are asking that. You know, it's a question of how long will it take for this to to play out? You know, is there you know, really a thesis here that that can can bear out? And you know, in some ways, when you look at companies like open ai or Oracle uh, you know, they're spending a lot of money, the revenue is not quite catching up. I think open ai Financials leaked recently and they lost twenty billion dollars last year or.
Speaker 2: Something to that effect.
Speaker 6: So that's not encouraging. But you know, it is a it is a situation where you know, a lot of the companies that are involved with open ai or backing some of these AI ventures, like your Amazon's, your Google's, your Microsofts, they are still incredibly profitable companies and still earning an enormous amount of money. Where things get a little bit dangerous.
Speaker 3: Is if they continue to make, you know, make the spending larger and larger, to the point where the revenues never grow, but the spending keeps increasing and they have to take out additional equity or debt to.
Speaker 6: Supply the funding for this. That's where things start to get a little concerning. We are potentially crossing into that threshold, and we're going to need to see these companies and this debt actually start to pay off in some way. We're going to need small companies, regular companies actually to see efficiency gains. We're not necessarily seeing that profits for major tech companies have been enormous, but you know your small cap companies, your regular mom and pop shops, you know the everyday businesses all around our cities and towns. Are they getting any benefit out of this? Are they even using it? And if the answer is no, then it gets a little bit concerning whether this actually has a there there.
Speaker 4: So Friday before last we were talking about fullmo fear missing out around the whole space X stock and I didn't invest. If I had invested in SpaceX, would I be happy today or not?
Speaker 2: I haven't been checking.
Speaker 6: If you, oh, you're still happy, but you're not as happy as you were Wednesday of last week. Today, if you, I think, and I'll have to see exactly where it opened, because I didn't. I didn't look before we talked. So price is about one hundred and fifty one dollars. It peaked at over two hundred and twenty I believe, or two hundred and fifteen or so. So we're down considerably from from where we were just a week ago. Almost everybody who bought, possibly everybody who bought post ipo, So in the secondary market you didn't get the IPO price, but if you bought after that, you may have already been been losing money.
Speaker 2: What uh you got? You got? You know? You know?
Speaker 4: No, no, I'll tell everybody to turn off, turn off for radio. Just now, it's just between me and him. Are you personally invested in SpaceX? No, I'm not.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: The you know, it was exciting to watch. I think everybody probably felt that fomo, you know where, could I have gotten some IDO shares and then wow, what a pop?
Speaker 2: I'm up forty.
Speaker 6: Percent, you know or whatever that was from Monday to Friday to Wednesday. But now if you bought the secondary market, you're losing money. And that isn't surprising. Because five percent of the total SpaceX stock is available for buyers. There is going to be another forty or fifty percent of that stock that's going to become available over the next eleven months, and so there's going to be an incredible amount of insider selling pressure people who are part of the company or they have been investors in the past when it was private. They're going to be selling their shares to actually create some liquidity for themselves to actually utilize some of the wealth that they have created from being investors in SpaceX. That kind of supply coming into the market is going to push this price even lower. So there's not a good case for buying in now and expecting a profit over the next six or twelve months.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm really glad I asked. That's that's very interesting.
Speaker 4: In the prediction market, I've got a lot of money on whether or not Prince Harry and Megan market divorce in the next year.
Speaker 2: That's mostly where I put my money to.
Speaker 6: The top market.
Speaker 2: Is uh.
Speaker 4: I regularly say that the stupidest mainstream reporting.
Speaker 2: In all of journalism is economic reporting. Does it?
Speaker 4: Does mainstream economic reporting drive you crazy? Because the way they react to little market jigglings. It drives me nuts, and.
Speaker 2: It probably should.
Speaker 6: I love that kind of UH news, but that's just me. I don't think most people do. It is important to not get so in the weeds where every little market movement, every little adjustment to every economic report sends you into it izzy. Uh. You know, the media promotes that kind of attitude where we have to react to everything and you shouldn't, whether you're investing for your retirement and you're just trying to keep your sanity or whether you're trying to figure out how is the job market? Can I change jobs? Can I buy a house? You know, reacting to every little nuance of the economy or the stock market is going to drive you absolutely bananas. You have to have a longer view, and you have to try to make decisions with the information you have in the moment you have it.
Speaker 4: If you could give me a short answer on this, because I got a break and I appreciate your time, But the the the no spend, no politics. What's the state of our economy?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 7: Bad, poor, excellent? I'll give you those points. Are some good things, there are some bad things, and your circumstances are going to dictate sort of whether you feel better or worse about that. Hiring is slow, but most people still do have jobs. If you want to buy a house and you are a first time home buyer life is pretty terrible because you just can't get one that's interesting.
Speaker 4: That's like the old reminded me, the old saying of it's a recession if you have a job, if you lose your job, it's a depression. I mean, it matters to your personal situation, what the economy's like. It's a very so Yeah, okay, Stephen Kate, appreciate your time. Finance expert clock Tower Financial Consulting. Thanks a lot for coming on on short notice about the tech stocks.
Speaker 2: My pleasure have to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need to talk to people like that regularly to calm down because, as Joe says, everything's clickonomics, and then the money is to be made by the Wall Street Journal or CBS News or whoever. To make it seem like whatever the stock market did up or down is a really really big deal, when quite often it's not.
Speaker 2: It's just the market goes up and down.
Speaker 4: You got to see trends over you know, weeks or months to really start talking about it, and I got more on that be First, I need to tell you about simply Safe, which I absolutely love. Every time I pull away from my house seeing this simply Safe sign, Right, there to remind me that my house is protected with the system that I ordered from simply Safe. I went online, I customized it to the house that I currently live in. The cameras, the censor's, all the different sort of stuff, It comes in the mail fast. I set it up myself in about thirty minutes. They'll offer help to you if you want, but you can't do it yourself. It's super easy. You don't have to be some sort of handyman to be able to do that. And no long term contracts because simply safe believes you're gonna like it enough to keep using it, and it's dang impressive if you want to experience the same peace of mind that I do every time I pull away from my house, which is why we've partnered with simply safe to offer this exclusive discount to our listeners.
Speaker 2: Right now, you can.
Speaker 4: Get sixty percent off and a free outdoor camera, which is essential on your new system by visiting simplysafe dot com, slash armstrong, simply safe dot com, slash armstrong.
Speaker 2: There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my kids, my brother actually had brought this up to them over Christmas, and it took me five months to get it done.
Speaker 2: But they now have this.
Speaker 4: They both have a little index fund, and hopefully I'm going to encourage them strongly to put birthday money, Christmas money, any money they earn from chores, that sort of stuff, at least part of it into that index fund and see how it grows. Because the most valuable thing you've gotten, you know this once you're old, and maybe you missed out. The most valuable thing you've got in investing, more than anything else in the world is time. Time is the big multiplier.
Speaker 2: I wish I had done that.
Speaker 4: Everybody says that it's so hard to convince young people that I don't care how broke you are. Put money in your four oh one K. I do not care how broke you are. Put money in your four o K. It makes so much difference. It's so hard to imagine ever being old. When you're twenty five, you think I'm never gonna be sixty. It just ain't gonna happen. It's weird that human beings deny the reality of the calendar the way we do. Anyway, that's a topic for a different day. We got a lot more on the way to stay here.
Speaker 1: With an eye on redemp show, I was delivered the.
Speaker 2: Superstar.
Speaker 1: Cristiano Ronaldo finally scored in this World Cup.
Speaker 2: The rod then he scored again. It's prestilla for part.
Speaker 1: Portugal dominated in a five zero win over Zbekistan. The forty one year old Ronaldo made history, the first ever to score in six World Cups.
Speaker 4: Ronaldo such a big deal in soccer that I've actually heard his name and I've watched a total of three minutes of soccer jimilative in my life. I think, although I might watch more this year if the USA continues to the advance. I'm looking up at the TV the Tartan Army which is taking over Miami right now. That's all the guys in kilts from Scotland that had been up in Boston. My niece up in Boston had been sending around pictures to the family of all the dudes in kilts riding around on the mass transit in Boston. So Scotland is Miami to play Spain. I think, what are your big teams? Anyway, the Tartan Army is down there and they're partying like crazy. I'm somewhat envious of the fun these people are having. I was reading some analysis of this these particularly these European countries and their fans and how into their country are, and people are trying to make the argument that, like see, the European Union doesn't work because look how much pride these people have in their individual nations. They aren't written for Europe the way we root for the United States. They're written for their individual countries. You got you the English fans and the Scottish fans and different fans from the different But I don't know if that works because we all root for the United States, but individual states root hard to individual colleges certainly, and everything like that.
Speaker 2: So I'm not sure that argument holds water.
Speaker 4: But continuing to love the stories of the various people from other countries visiting the United States for the World Cup Soccer who are enjoying our hospitality, listen to this.
Speaker 1: England meanwhile, had a disappointing draw against Ghana, but their fans still found things to be excited about.
Speaker 2: I love Siraoul on the pier, and my god, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: International fans are falling in love with good old fashioned American hospitality.
Speaker 2: Were getting such and we're welcome everywhere. We got guys from the Saving Stop most. I just think that we made industry as well. Yeah, we loving that.
Speaker 1: Organizers hope that enthusiasm creates an economic boom, estimating one billion dollars for Boston alone, seventeen billion across the US.
Speaker 4: We are a nice, welcoming, friendly country. But I wonder if part of it is a whole bunch of people who have been misled by their own media with the anti Trump, hateful this and that for so long long that they expected something way different, so their expectations were way off, and then they get to the United States and find out there's just a whole bunch of happy people wanting to party there at the soccer games. It's not you know, the politics the way you're seeing on your TV screen or newspaper every single day.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's part of it.
Speaker 4: Their expectations were out of whack because of the crazy media coverage in the Trump era. So this is kind of an interesting development. The way things currently stand in the polling, the United States will play Bosnia Herzegovina July second, the day before Iran plays Czech Republic in the same bracket. If we win in Iran wins, will play Iran while we're at war with Iran, which is kind of interesting because we're at war with the country. But you know, as we found out with the women's Ranian team a couple months back, the Iranian players would happily defect here in a moment if their family back home wouldn't be jailed or tortured. So it's not like we're at war with the players, but it's still kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: We got a lot more on the way.
Speaker 4: We were going to check in on the war with Mike Lyons a little bit later to see where things are going. We're going to talk to Tim sanderfer fan favorite about his book and the founding and stuff as we get close to the anniversary, and maybe some of the Supreme Court rulings that came out yesterday.
Speaker 2: So that'll be an hour or two if you miss it. Gets the podcast Armstrong and Getty