Speaker 1: Hey there, Fana Ritos. It's been a while since we've stepped back into flight school, where we watch and discuss epic TV shows of the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: So Pilot's epic pilot.
Speaker 1: Pilots, yeah, not just TV shows, but pilot pilots, yes, and flight school yes. So pull up a wicker chair and prepare for some Miami mayhem, because today we are heading all the way back to nineteen eighty five, to the pilot episode that launched four of the most iconic women in TV history.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're talking the Golden Girl who Finally Love It.
Speaker 1: In this minisode, we're breaking down the episode that almost wasn't. We meet Dorothy, Rose, Sophia, and Blanche, and Blanche does not sound like she's from the South like for one of the only episodes, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know, she sort of did.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, as somebody who was thrown into doing an accent zero preparation, a pilot will say that sometimes they throw you into something and you try and they go that we're gonna get someone to help you, and you know, maybe that's what happened.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I am very excited about this This pilot first aired September fourteenth, nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just two years years before us. Yeah, that's crazy. Like I didn't read eighty six or eighty six. We were eighty seven.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just two years before Full House premiere and then Golden Girls ran for seven seasons. So this like we.
Speaker 2: Overlaed through our fifth Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's wild. I didn't really for some reason.
Speaker 2: I sad a lot.
Speaker 3: I know, I know I did too, because they're older and we were younger, and so we're like, they, that has to be so many ancient years ago, right, and then we're like, no, actually that was we. Wow, we existed. What a time to be alive. We existed and had a TV show on the same time as The Golden Girl.
Speaker 1: We could have been cast as guests on The Golden Girls if they had kids in the show.
Speaker 2: I think that wasn't really their demographic.
Speaker 1: Well no, you mean our demographics didn't overlap Full House and The Golden.
Speaker 3: Girls, and I don't think I mean maybe some of the grandparents and the mom.
Speaker 2: Look, I love Golden Girls. I watched Golden Girls more than I Watchful House. I watched you with my.
Speaker 3: Mom, I watched Full House but love the Golden Girls.
Speaker 1: I had until last night, I had never seen a single episode of The Golden Girls. I know, I know, Jony's like falling off her chair. I've seen I've seen clips and scenes and clips. I had never seen an entire episode starting to finish's.
Speaker 2: Quitting the podcast?
Speaker 1: Are you not going to be my friend anymore?
Speaker 2: Because they had met?
Speaker 3: No, because we've joked about it for years.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I've seen clips and seriously thought.
Speaker 3: This was this, that that we spoke the language of the of the Golden Girls.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know the characters, I know the lore, I know, I know, I've seen clips, but I had not seen an episode from start to finish.
Speaker 3: This I am. I'm a little wounded by this. It's gonna take me a minute to recover knowing that, Uh, I've I've been led to all this time that I thought that you knew the Golden.
Speaker 2: Girls, and really, uh, you just knew who they were.
Speaker 1: I just knew, I just knew of them.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how it all began like it did in the pilot.
Speaker 3: So so so so like did my cheesecake jokes ever Land, No, you have no idea what the cheesecake.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the lnai.
Speaker 1: I know the l Nai. Yeah, the Lai is Famouskay, that's the fame. I want to recreate the Lunai here. So yeah, I know. Oh that's where Betty White is from, right old yes, yes, okay, thank you Rose. Yes, so see, I know I know certain things. But what's the cheesecake?
Speaker 2: They like to eat?
Speaker 1: Cheesecake?
Speaker 2: Yes, cheesecake was always the Yeah, it was always the thing. They eat cheesecake.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see like at the end of the episode and stuff.
Speaker 3: And I think there's something else with the cheesecake, but I can't remember, but I do. I feel like they always are sharing a cheesecake, like at the end.
Speaker 1: Of as they should. That nothing sells better than a cheesecake. Girlfriends and a lanai. You know this was this. I'm so glad that I have. I first watched Golden Girls at age forty nine, almost fifty, because I found this very relatable.
Speaker 2: You're like, this is you know what the crazy thing is.
Speaker 3: That's how old they were when they were playing them.
Speaker 2: Tell me about it.
Speaker 1: I had to look up their actual agents. Okay, here, I've got it written down. Okay, Okay, b Arthur was sixty three. Oh, okay, she was a little she was playing She played Dorothy who was fifty three or fiftyfty five like somewhere in that red Okay, so so b Arthur was she was a little older. Betty White was also sixty three, but she was playing fifty five.
Speaker 2: Rose was fifty.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, this is better than I thought. For some reason, I thought they were younger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, Blanche was no rue Rue Klanahan was fifty one. Okay, she was playing Blanche who was fifty three. Okay, you know, okay, right, and then stell Geedty was sixty two, younger then than b Arthur.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that she was younger than be Arthur and playing her mom.
Speaker 1: I remember that playing and Sophia was seventy nine, so.
Speaker 2: She was playing.
Speaker 1: Wow older. It's fascinating, I know this. This blew my mind.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: I this whole time, I thought they were much younger that they were like around their early fifties playing older playing that is still Getty was the younger of them, playing the.
Speaker 2: Oldest of them.
Speaker 3: So you know what, I was shocked their early playing New Fifth girls.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, like that's me. That's going to be me soon, that's going to be you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you better. But this is gonna find out find you a home or a Leni third, twenty July fourth, twenty twenty sixth.
Speaker 3: You celebrate your freedom because you're going in a home fifty that's.
Speaker 1: It, as long as it has a Leni and Miami.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I'm gonna start getting you outfits with gigantic shoulder pads.
Speaker 1: The styling of this, like they all had like gray white hair.
Speaker 2: Who I don't know any fifty.
Speaker 1: Three fifty five year olds who have white gray hair, Like that's like eighty nineties, eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Now, I feel not back then? Back then? Did fifty year olds have yes? White back then?
Speaker 3: Oh God, because think about it, because like our think about our like as kids, our grandparents were what.
Speaker 2: Fifty five sixty.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and they grab my grandma had they certainly weren't wearing hoodies and chucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like we are today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: So it's it is.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting phenomenon that's happened, where like suddenly that doesn't seem so old because we don't it doesn't you know what I mean, like one, there's.
Speaker 2: Botox right too.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just like the idea I think of what fifty something is is very different today, so different because it's gen xers that are fifty something and they're like, we're not old.
Speaker 1: We're not Yeah, we're not old at all. We're denial forever exactly.
Speaker 3: And so I think, you know, it's I think creeped up a little bit. And I also think it just you know, uh, that was done.
Speaker 2: To make them look older.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, this is intentional.
Speaker 3: If they had great hair, was you know, call you be like these ladies out all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, these ladies are these lady should be out in Miami.
Speaker 1: Oh it was, I was. I was stunned, like this whole thing. I'm now going to start a Golden Girl's rewatch podcasts because I.
Speaker 3: Just I just finished the brick Craft Golden Girls fortieth anniversary lego set.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, wait, is it the living room set or the Luni No?
Speaker 2: No, no, it's them. Oh it's them.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that's amazing them. Zoe got it for me for my birthday.
Speaker 1: I believe that's a mate that's so perfectly awesome. Oh yes, pretty please send a photo that's Jenny. Jenny wants a photo because that's Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, I will send a photo of that so that we can have a Golden Girls moment for Yeah.
Speaker 1: So great. Okay, so should we go through? Do we want to go through the main cast or should we just skip straight?
Speaker 2: I mean, we know we know Dorothy's Barnack is be Arthur? Who is we know Dorothy? We love Dorothy. Dorothy is who I aim to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are have so many similarities between her and yes, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not kidding you though, Like I watched as a kid. I thought she was hilarious and.
Speaker 3: She thinks somewhere in there like absorbed in this sort of dead pan sarcasm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you imprinted on her at a young age and adult some of her traits and her comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh she's fantastic. She's so fantastic. I love her.
Speaker 1: Did you have you watched Maud her show before?
Speaker 2: I mean the whole thing through, but yes, I have watched some of Maud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's so fantastic. And then Rose Nyland played by Betty White. I related to her in her like naivete and yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, Betty, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Who? What do you mean what she's She's just so adorable and just lovely. I so much.
Speaker 3: Had such an amazing career, Yeah, such an amazing, lengthy, brilliant career.
Speaker 2: And she was gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Oh my godiness, she.
Speaker 2: Was stunnying when she was young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stunning, beautiful, charismatic, Yeah, just so brilliant with comedy and goodness, yes, we're we It was just a joy to watch her, for sure. Yeah. Blanche Devereaux the man hungry Southern Bell played by Rue McClanahan. And it says here McClanahan notably does not use a Southern accent for Blanche, as the director told her he didn't want to hear one, how rude. But as the show was picked up, she brought back the accent and it became iconic.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so that's it was the director's directors in this one. All right, Well that's the the director, right, because.
Speaker 3: The the southern accent she has is just icon it's it's it's a part of it. And also the end scene there was a like a single of her and I noticed how.
Speaker 2: Blue her eyes. Yeah, like she looked like she.
Speaker 3: Had blue conax and they were really, really like an ocean blue. Anyway, I was like, even blue. Yeah, I didn't realize. I just it was like, oh wow. I never really noticed how like brilliant her eyes.
Speaker 1: Were gorgeous or all all of them are extremely gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Oh I love them.
Speaker 1: Last, but certainly not least. We have a still getty plain Sophia. She was originally written just to be like a minor guest character, but impressed everyone so much in the pilot that they killed it. They got rid of the gay cook and and moved Sofia in and.
Speaker 2: He became a record poor Coco.
Speaker 1: I was so I was stunt because again I hadn't seen the show.
Speaker 2: I was like, and he's in the first scene. I'm like, who is this guy? Is he it? You'll never see him again?
Speaker 1: Is he a roommate? Is he the hired help? He was?
Speaker 3: He was there gay cook that he was like. He was like, there, it's Miami. It's like the equivalent of the bird Cage and Hank's Area's character. You know, it's like the yeah, yeah, it's Miami.
Speaker 2: You have like you have the gay cook, chef, housekeeper.
Speaker 1: You know, But did he live in the house he was in?
Speaker 2: Like I don't think he lived there.
Speaker 1: He was wearing like I thought he was wearing a robe and slippers and one of the even maybe I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I don't know, I was I was.
Speaker 3: Just very confused by his mad and I don't remember an episode if he did, but but I do remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it started out that they had a little gay show wow, which again, thank you representation.
Speaker 1: Honestly, yes, in nineteen eighty five, there was a lot of representation in the show.
Speaker 3: And The Golden Girls is such an iconic gay queer show. Yeah, and that's like a big part of it is like you know, yeah, they started with that, and they but there was you know, there was also some jokes in there.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, yeah, some of the jokes didn't age well, but well but the four.
Speaker 2: Of them did. But so I love.
Speaker 1: Having a show centered on four older women to carry this like that was not That was almost why I didn't go.
Speaker 3: It was only yeah, they were like older women, who's gonna watch that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, other women like what do you mean man?
Speaker 3: And then it's just show is funny because it was hysterical, laugh out loud funny.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, what a what a treat what a.
Speaker 3: Gem like that is like a huge demographic to just be like, but they always do that, right, like older women, that's your that's who watches stuff, that's who watches Hallmark.
Speaker 2: Movies, that's who won Lifetime, and that is who your buying audience is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and this is why we don't see the executives don't take risks like this anymore. Like they're too cautious with their money and so they don't. Yeah, everything is all the same.
Speaker 3: Now we're going to see a resurgence in like indie shows and film. I think I hope so uh with I mean with obsession and back rooms. You know, Sorry not to sidetrack us, but but yeah, I do think we're going to see, you know, hopefully things that are more willing to take a risk on great comedy or great stories.
Speaker 2: Because these women. This was such a great show, such a great show.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm telling you, I'm gonna this is my show.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm going to watch the whole seven seasons.
Speaker 2: One of my it's funny, Zoe used to watch it to go to sleep better. Tests she it's comforting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but one of my favorite scenes is in this Pilot and it's the scene with and Dorothy and Rose, and Rose keeps wanting to say something and Dorothy keeps cutting her off and shutting her up or shoving her in the closet like it's just so the two of them together, it was so funny and it was so good. Weant you know, they didn't quite get along well really, yeah, if I remember right. Hearing from Lex Bizaris, who was our assistant director in Florhouse and worked on Golden Girls for several seasons, I forgot about.
Speaker 2: I think I think.
Speaker 3: There was some friction there between the two of them, and I think just be Arthur in general was a little bit of a harsher personality, Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And Betty White I don't think was at all.
Speaker 3: So I think there was interesting just tension as far, not nothing terrible.
Speaker 1: But just didn't like each other.
Speaker 3: So right, interesting but you would never know it because it was brilliant. But yeah, their favorite scenes of the Golden Girls is just her and she looks like it's like you and Sergeant Slaughter.
Speaker 2: She's got really read block. That's what made me think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what That's what jogged my memory, and I'm like, oh, we never told that story. That's so funny. Gosh, yeah, this was amazing to watch. I have a quote from Susan Harris, the writer, creator EP of the show. This is a quote from her interview in The New York Times a week after this premiered Umber twenty second, nineteen eighty five. She said, a woman's worth is tied into what she looks like. At eighty two, Carry Grant could still be a romantic lead, but on television, a woman over fifty is cast as an axe murderer. Yep, Like that's there, you go, there's the impetus for making this show. It's like, let's just show about women over fifty. And they're real people too. They got jobs, they got careers, they talk about dating, they talk about sex, talking about it. Right, they're not just grandmothers, They're right.
Speaker 3: This is their grandma's they have their kids. They're talking about what life is like now that they're you know, back to being like single adults, single women. They still you know, they're still alive. They're not that old.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's such a great example of.
Speaker 2: Like a really women centered show that was not.
Speaker 3: That was not about their looks or their you know, it was it fell in the vein of a Murphy Brown or does women Micht Taylor the police officer at the end. Huh, that's me, Shak Taylor, who went on to start in designing.
Speaker 1: Oh no way, Oh that's fantastic. Oh that's a good little tidbit.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you know, those kinds of shows were starting to show like, oh, hey, wait a minute, maybe like this isn't an audience we haven't tapped into. Is you know women who are not twenty, right, you know, being with dudes who are fifty.
Speaker 1: I think it was the Small Wonder pilot. We were talking about the mom who's in the back of the kitchen like drying a dish, right for like the whole seat, whole thing, And that's how women portrayed how they served others, how they were moms, how they were housekeepers, and it's like, no, there's a lot we're a lot more layered than that. And this show shows it.
Speaker 2: Golden Girls shows it so great. Yeah, I love the show. It is.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. I want you to keep watching and then talk to me about it. I'll text you, yeah, text me because it is. It's such a great show and there's so many absolutely brilliant comedy moments in it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is. It really is the reason that I always say, like, oh.
Speaker 3: You know, we've got to come back and we'll do it Golden Girls style is because the dynamic amongst them was so brilliant and so sharp, and they did such a good job with it, Like it's I just yeah, I'd love to come back and be able to, you know, play an old lady like that.
Speaker 1: Oh they were. They their chemistry was so strong. It confused me at first because I'm like, how long have these women known each other? Because we find out later that they answered an ad that right the roommates. Blanche needed some roommates, and so they answered an ad and moved in. But how long ago did they move in? Because they looked like they had been lifelong friends. They seemed so close, But no, they were just strangers who moved in together. So I'm like, when was that? How how long ago was that? Because they had insane chemistry. Yeah, I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So well, I'm glad that you watched the pilot Welcome to the Golden Girls. Yeah, I can't wait to hear more of what you think about it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, and.
Speaker 3: I hope some of our fana Ritos go back and check out the pilot of the Golden Girls, because it is hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's iconic. Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: It's a masterclass in how to do situational comedy.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, it is. It's held up. I mean it's it's really really great.
Speaker 1: The writing, the acting, the directing, like, all of it is fantastic. Chef's kiss, no.
Speaker 2: Notes, no no notes, no notes.
Speaker 3: Uh well, everybody, thank you for joining us for this little fun minisode of Golden Girls extravaganza.
Speaker 2: We love you guys.
Speaker 3: If you want to find us on Instagram, uh, we're going to post a picture of my little uh my little lego set, my my Golden Girls legosh. If you would like to follow us, find us on Instagram at how Rude podcast, or you can send us an email at how Rude tan Rito's at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Like and subscribe to the show. You know the deal and we will see you next time. But we're member. The world is small. The house is full of Sophia's purses. Oh, it's just full. There's so many of them.
Speaker 1: Wait to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well she's always holding on to it.
Speaker 1: That's what the queen she did too, Like I think that was so she didn't have to shake hands.
Speaker 2: We used to call my friends, uh, my friend's grandma. We used to call her Sophia because she would.
Speaker 3: Come to your house and sit in your house with her purse on her lap.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like a security blanket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we were pretty sure.
Speaker 3: It was because she was hiding her cigarettes, and then she'd say she had to go to the bathroom, and then she'd go out and smoke when she wasn't supposed to.
Speaker 1: But whatever, you know, that sounds like Sophia too.
Speaker 2: It sounds like Sofia too. Yeah, exactly exactly, but yeah, amazing Sophia's little bag. Just stuffed it in the house. Love it, love it, waiting for us to become the Golden Girl.