Speaker 1: Hey, want to welcome in. I'm Doug Godlig.
Speaker 2: This is All Ball and with the Chris Crutchfield head coach in Nebraska Omaha upcoming. In the meantime, we do have some actual basketball gan at basketball, but a gigantic trade in basketball to start with. Chris Crutchfield is my signature guest for the next two All Balls. He's the head coach of Nebraska Omaha. It's his alma mater. A really interesting kind of mer curial journey back to a place that he once played. And you'll hear about the changes at Nebraska Omaha going to Vision one and all the other things upcoming.
Speaker 1: I think you'll love it.
Speaker 2: But Damian Loward is now Milwaukee Bucka. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: With Drew Holliday.
Speaker 2: What's fascinating to me about this trade is a couple of things. And please excuse the language, but this feels like a big old fashioned fuck you from Portland to both Lillard and Miami Heat, because the reports are the Heat.
Speaker 1: Whatever you think of.
Speaker 2: Their offer or what you thought their offer was with Tyler Hero that they were picks. There were players and pretty good picks and pick swaps for the players, but it feels like it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like it just seems like it is.
Speaker 2: Although I don't want to take what is being reported as the absolute truths, I think it's more likely than not to have happened the way in which it's reported, because again, some of the reporting is from people that have ties to either side, and you painted in the rosier tones for whomever gave you the information. So here's what's fascinating to me about the f you to both Lillard and the Heat. Think about it your Portland Now, it looks very vindictive, right, doesn't it. It looks vindictive that Portland would say, hey, oh, if it's not Miami, you want to come back. No, we don't want you back. That's what's been reported. But again, look at it from Portland's perspective. Wait, you force your way out of Portland said you wanted to trade that you don't want to be a part of rebuild, but only for the Miami Heat. And Jimmy Butler can go on social media and say it's tampering, but man, that is not a great look for the Heat. And again, if you're poor and you're like, okay, this was an inside job with the Heat and Damian Lillard's saying he wants to play for a winner, but if it only if it's the Miami Heat, that doesn't that feels very personal or maybe it was a lifestyle decision.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's the part to where I go. I can't say one hundred percent. But here is the one thing that well, first, I actually like that.
Speaker 1: It's ape. If you're running a basketball team, you have to do what's in the best interest in the basketball team.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you I think that ultimately they'll end up better. Deandrean's a good player. You got to pay somebody because with the salary cap, you not just have a ceiling the befloor and oh yeah, by the way, you got to put some sort of team out there. And though I don't believe you can win a championship with Laton because he's not really a defender, but he is a big time scoring five man, like he'll be fine. And Phoenix was trying to get rid of that contract ever since they signed that contract, having to match the deal when.
Speaker 1: He was restricted free agent. I think with in the end. But the big part to this is that the Milwaukee Bucks will absolutely be better because they have Damianlonton. I've been thinking about it.
Speaker 2: They're now the odds on favorite to an NBA championship, and I understand they've been very good even without him as a more of a defensive minded team. And they did win a championship going back a couple of years ago, and they did so with Giannis, you know, scoring fifty in the deciding game. And the thought is that they didn't have Middleton and then they didn't have Giannis for two of the games against the Heat this year. If they have Giannis for the whole series, they beat the Miami Heat. And none of this is even a question. And this is not necessarily a shot at Damian Lillard, but we can all he's not a great or even.
Speaker 1: Maybe good defensive player. So you're changing the entire construct of your team. You don't just at some point in your thirties decide, hey, I'm going to become a high level defender, you know, and it's taken.
Speaker 2: Have the Golden State Warriors won two championships with Steph Curry as their best player? They have, they have, but it's been hard because he's constantly attacked in the postseason, constantly.
Speaker 1: Why I'm not saying attacked. I'm not saying get Bayless or people like me or Steven A. Smith.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about at the defensive end. He's the focal point of what you want to do offensively. And Drew Holliday, though there's a drop off as a shooter, I think Drew Holliday is as good a ball a handler, probably a better passer, and a far superior defender, even if he's not the shooter scorer of Damian Lillard. So I just they're a completely different team with Damian Lillard as opposed to Drew Holliday.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, by the way.
Speaker 2: You know, you lose a pretty good six or seventh man off the bench as well as part of the deal.
Speaker 1: So I do I like what Portland did. Yes, I frankly like what Phoenix did you know?
Speaker 2: Spreading that money around to a and get Nurkis, who's not the overall player of Ayton. But they don't need anybody who needs to score on that team. They have plenty of scoring. Now they still need a point guard, but they have plenty of scoring. What they needed is somebody who will just play defense role, you know, score when the ball is given to them and not say a word and never have a play run and that's what Nurkicch is and then they kind of filled out their roster with some other decent pieces off the bench. So I really like it for Phoenix, I understand it for Portland, and I don't dislike it for Milwaukee because at some point you're like that.
Speaker 1: But I don't think Milwaukee was that far off.
Speaker 2: Giannis is healthy, and maybe they let Giannis guard Jimmy Butler and none of this ever happens. Instead, you go from a defensive juggernaut who just shuts off people's fladder to a team that should be good defensively, but you know, now you're most of your best players are in your thirties, although Drew is in his thirties, dude, but not great defenders and a really more of an offensive minded guard substituting for Drew Holliday who's a great shooter, great shooter score, but hasn't played deep in the playoffs and has never shown a ferocity defensively.
Speaker 1: And again, one other part about Dame and.
Speaker 2: If you go back and track even back to when he was drafted, I've always been a huge Damian Lillard fan and proponent. But if we're honest about Dame, even if he's on the I'm a big team a couple of years ago, he wasn't great in that setting, and he wasn't great.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was the pressure of it.
Speaker 2: I think it's the fact that he's small and he wasn't the focal point of what they were doing, and that's not what he's used to.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If he's a focal point of what they're doing, then why would you take the ball out of Ganis's hand?
Speaker 1: And then he becomes more of just a shooter. He's a great shooter, but he's used to.
Speaker 2: Being ball dominant and he's used to not having to play defense, and all this is going to change.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to part one.
Speaker 2: This is Chris Crushfield, good friend of mine, awesome human being, really really good human being, who, by the way, just so happens to be a talented head coach at his ala water the University of Nebraska Omaha.
Speaker 1: Here's the beginning of his journey.
Speaker 2: Crutch your first memory of playing basketball is You're how old?
Speaker 1: And where is it?
Speaker 3: Ooh? I'm probably about eight, maybe maybe nine, and I'm on the outside court right up the street from my house AND's where all the big boys was playing at. And you had to wait till the end to get on. And I really never got on until I was about eleven or twelve, So so I just hung around and just shot the ball and shot the ball and stayed up there for three or four hours. And at the end, all when all the good players was tired and done, I jumped home.
Speaker 2: Some idea was my dad would take me to a park YEPS, Milescript Park in Found Valley, California, and the early guys played like I think it was like seven am, and so we get there like six forty five, and you know, like you got a call game, and so there might be fourteen guys there.
Speaker 1: I was like fourteen, but I would have the fourth game.
Speaker 2: Because dudes would call game like, well you got your five, like, no, my five are coming, and they would rather pick guys off the court than pick me because I was so little. So he would stay with me and make sure that I got my game YEP, and then I play. And then usually after you play one game, like when you're decent, you can.
Speaker 1: You know, stay on.
Speaker 2: But that's how my dad would it and then he'd leave me five bucks. I'll come back and get you whenever, you know, and they all day well, because there was different there was different waves, right. There was like the early wave, there was like the lunchtime way, it was like the afternoon waves.
Speaker 1: And when I was a kid, like, I.
Speaker 2: Had no idea what got why guys were going back to their car in.
Speaker 1: Between games, right.
Speaker 2: Like I thought they were just they had like food in there or something like that. And you know, guys drinks and a couple of drinks come back out and who you know. And so when you get that those afternoon guys, uh, the tempers could get a little get a little much. I actually I actually broke my nose. My nose was broken right before my first day of high school. Kind of saying that I was playing in the afternoon and I hit a shot and some dude was you know, some guy my team was talking trash to him because I.
Speaker 1: Was not yet in high school, right, I was skinny, little kid.
Speaker 2: Oh, and then I hit a couple of shots in the guy and some guy you know, kind of came down the lane and intentionally got me.
Speaker 1: Where'd you go to high school?
Speaker 3: Small town Hopinsville, Kentucky. Okay, yep?
Speaker 1: Was it Hopsinsville High School?
Speaker 3: Hopkins Field High School? Yep? Yep?
Speaker 1: Who's who's your coach?
Speaker 3: Daryl Hallmark?
Speaker 1: What was he like?
Speaker 3: He was hard? He was hard, We pressed, we ran. Uh. He wanted to make sure he was in shape, so we ran a lot. We had a good team, won state championship as a sophomore, finishing the quarterfinals as a junior. And it's funny. We had the number one team in the state and got the first round of our district as a senior. Wow, yeah out yeah, yeah no. It's a couple of guys that was probably was the third best. A couple of guys went to play at Austin P and Murray State.
Speaker 1: Who what's your names?
Speaker 3: Wendell Qualls and Lamont Ware. Lamont played at Austin P. Wendle played at Murray.
Speaker 1: How'd you decide to go to Omana?
Speaker 3: I actually went to JUCO first. I went to Noka Ramsey Community College up in Minnesota, and uh, and this it all worked out. Doug. It's funny because I was supposed to go to Austin P. But I was a prop forty eight. This is first year of prop forty eight. I was the eighty seven graduate of high school. So the assistant coach, Steve Hill was putting me and my teammate at Austin P. We're gonna hide you guys up in this juco up in Minnesota for two years. Then we're gonna bring you guys back to Austin P because we both were non qualifiers. Hey Lake, Kelly, I don't know if you remember the late Lake Kelly Sure, Lake was the head coach at Austin P. So late get fired. Going into our sophomore year at junior college. Whole staff gone blown, the whole thing up, and we're out there just trying to figure it out, and the thing kind of fell apart. Recruiting kind of took a different route. I end up coming to Omahall Division two because, uh, it's the only offer that I had really that in Saint Cloud.
Speaker 2: Well it's junior college like in Minnesota for you, I mean, Kentucky's not it gets cold, but not like Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, it was totally different. It was a culture shock for me. Now, trust me out in October it never snows in Kentucky in October. So in Minnesota it's snowed a lot. First time I ever seen it. Lightning and snowing at the same time.
Speaker 2: What lightning and snow Yeah, yeah, you know that.
Speaker 3: Was part It's possible.
Speaker 1: Who'd you play for in juco?
Speaker 3: God by name of Alfonso scandret and Alfonso was the New York guy, had been around for a long time coaching the junior college rankings, coach Division two, end up being an administrator. Uh was the a d at assistant ady at Texas Tech and Buffalo a bunch of places. Now he's retired.
Speaker 1: But yeah, how'd you guys play there?
Speaker 3: I was a little more controlled half court half court offense. He he wanted call sets, so we ran a bunch of sets, which is a typical of junior college basketball.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, like how you played in high school? It seems like how most teams played exactly how you playing? How you playing junior college? Like at any point in this journey, were you like, man, I want to coach.
Speaker 3: No, no, not until I got out of college.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to that to say, so you get to Omaha, yep, right now, Omaha. Now, obviously Division one facilities have changed, you know, massive investments the stuff.
Speaker 1: But what was it like that.
Speaker 3: Small, small time basketball. We played on a tartan floor. Uh, the league was really good. North Central Conference was really good. And all those schools are now in the summit, which was North Dakota State, South Dakota State, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Northern Colorado was in the league back then. School called Morningside in Iowa, Augustana in South Dakota which is now still Division two, a really good Division two program, but it was it was US and uh those schools I just mentioned, and it was a really really good league. Did you bus everywhere everywhere except it's up to Northern Colorado?
Speaker 1: Right? What is the bus rides in that league? Like you're in college.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It was hard, you know why because it was cold everywhere you went, doug right, right, and then you got humidity inside the windows, so it's starting to create ice on the inside of the windows. That's how coldy was in North Dakota.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is this is like early nineties. Yeah, Okay, so early nineties, I guess you would have you'd have the probably the Sony Walkman, Yeah on the bus YEP, YEP and and a mixtape. So Chris Cutchfield in college with one of those waterproof yellow Sony Walkman, what was on the what was what was in your years?
Speaker 1: What was on the mixtape?
Speaker 3: Said? I'm probably had some Rob bass. Uh oh, that's a long time ago. Man, you're making me go back now. I know for sure, Rob Man.
Speaker 2: I just wondered what a Kentucky what a Kentuck what a Kentucky boy would listen to when you're on the road, like you know, I remember I would? I mean I think that was not yet that was probably that was like the in California.
Speaker 1: That was like the nw A era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt, that's exactly right. That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So you had you had the beginning to short too short.
Speaker 2: I was a big too short cut huge too short, gut too short. Actually he toured with Stipid Dog in the summer. I was like, man, how did I miss that one? That was that's right up my alley?
Speaker 3: You did see you in California.
Speaker 1: No, the day that he was out, he was near me. Actually, this is a true story.
Speaker 2: My first concert, my first concert I ever went to, was with my parents in Vegas. My dad was coaching my brother or some team in Vegas, and we went to Jeffrey Osborne in Vegas. Me, my mom and my dad like Jeffrey Osborne anyway, so so uh and then but my first concert without a parent was Miles Simon and I went to Bobby Brown and Tony Tony Tony in San Ana.
Speaker 1: It was it was, it was.
Speaker 3: Subject it was wild, wild days.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, thank thankfully I never went backstage.
Speaker 4: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 1: How good were you guys when you played.
Speaker 3: Probably five hundred, probably on the back end of my head coach's career. Just so, we were just okay, got the first round of our regional tournament. But I had a lot of fun. I had fun. I also played football. Here.
Speaker 2: I know you're a two sport athlete. I was like, so, but did you play football and junior college?
Speaker 3: Yep? Yep?
Speaker 1: Well position receiver? So what what was what was that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: So did you touch a ball during the fall? Like, how did you? How did that all work?
Speaker 3: After practice? I would go into the gym because it was right next to each other. And I was going and shoot around, mess around a little bit. But I did in high school. I did in high school. And when I got to Juco, they asked me to come and play and I said, okay, I ain't doing anything. I go play and uh and I end up playing. Man, it was. It's the weirdest thing. But back then you could do that. Like now, even at Division two, you couldn't do it now because it's a year around sport, both football and basketball.
Speaker 1: What were you Which were you better at?
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's pretty pretty hard man thinking. But this way when I got here, there was thirsty games where I scored four touchdowns. You probably like you lying.
Speaker 1: You bush. There has to be records. I tell me what ran four or four? I was like, well, I was.
Speaker 2: I won't say his name, but I once hurt the radio show with a guy who said he ran a four four and I said, my man, you ran a four four.
Speaker 1: You would not be sitting next to me right now.
Speaker 3: No, I was four six, but I was six three six three one ninety. Wasn't that many big receivers?
Speaker 1: Like why did you play back? Why did you? I know, why did you keep playing basketball? Why?
Speaker 3: Growing up growing up in Kentucky. That was your first love. Yeah, that was the first love. And I was good at it. And that's the only reason I did it.
Speaker 1: That's that's every that's every football player wants to be a basketball player. I know all of them want to play basketball.
Speaker 3: Players, no doubt.
Speaker 1: They all do.
Speaker 2: You go to the student rec center, there's always football players and they beat you up, correct, correct, and and dribbling like they're ripling on their with their elbows.
Speaker 1: What. Okay, So how did you guys play at u n o uh?
Speaker 3: We played? It was it was fast. It was fast. Well, I also ransom some motion, ran a lot of motion. That's the four round one error. And you know you were just it was freelance basketball.
Speaker 2: You get done playing, okay, now what what was what in your mind?
Speaker 1: What did you think? And then what actually happened?
Speaker 3: So when I got done playing, I had my degree in criminal justice. Right, So I did this internship with juvenile probation here in Omaho, and they actually gave me a bunch of cases. Right, I'm doing the internship and they give me twenty four cases. I got my own kids that I have to go see and maintenance, right, and I do this for six months, Doug, and finally I realized. I said, I can't do this anymore. I can't help these kids because I saw what they was going back to. Right, A couple of them you had to take back home. And once you realize, like, because I always want to help kids, and I said, no, this is not the right error. So I'm walking through our rec center one day playing noon ball, right, I run into a coach. He said, Crutch, you ever thought about being a GA? I said, no, what's the GA? He said, a graduate assistant coach. I was like, well, I don't know. I never thought about that. I said, I'm doing juvenile probation right now. I'm not liking that very much. But he said, come and see me tomorrow. Let's talk about it. So I go into the office talk to him. This is what a GA is. So I just got married, right, So my wife wanted to know how much money did it pay? I said about eight dollars a month, but you get free tuition. He was like, hell, no, we're not doing that. But we end up doing it and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: How did you turn it from hell no to this is what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, I just told her. You know, I got to give us a shot, because what I'm doing now, I know I don't want to do for a career, and I know I didn't want to be a police officer. So I said, I got to give it a shot. If it don't work out. I mean, we're young enough. I was twenty three years old. We can gonna do something else. She had and she was a school teacher, and uh it worked out.
Speaker 1: How'd you guys meet.
Speaker 3: Here in college? On campus?
Speaker 1: She was just walking and you went up and all that.
Speaker 3: Actually, actually we was in this. It was a it was a bowling alley that in the night time we turned into a club. So so I saw her in this, in this in this lounge, slash bowling alley, slash club. And I can't remember the host. I think I asked her to dance, and we end up dancing. Next thing, you know, we was dating. Three years later married. We was married three years later.
Speaker 1: I did you ask her married?
Speaker 3: She she kind of forced me into a corner. She told me, we go get married and we're gonna break up.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's there's it's not not dis similar to recruiting tactic, right.
Speaker 1: Right, We got we got other dude. We got other dudes that want to take the scholarship.
Speaker 3: Now you had to commit.
Speaker 1: You had to commit, or we got to move on down the road.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: That's that's what happened with me and Notre Dame. I was. I was like on the fence and like, look, Jeff Billett is that Christian Brothers.
Speaker 2: Academy in New Jersey. It's a Catholic school. He's a Catholic kid. He wants the scholarship. So you got three weeks otherwise he's going to visit. He's gonna take it. And we got to like week two and a half. I was like, I'll take it. I'll take it. So I I understand, I understand your wife's tactic.
Speaker 1: And it clearly worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, worked for both of us, didn't it? Yes?
Speaker 2: So okay, So what was the experience like of being a GA because you had just got done playing?
Speaker 3: Right? Did you?
Speaker 1: Did you? Would you hop in practice with coach usual on the on the scout team?
Speaker 3: Nope? Nope, we had enough guy, And what I would do? We did all the scouting ports back then, we had to write them all up. You know, it wasn't it wasn't no diagrams on the computer. So you wrote up all the scouting ports and you have to do the VHS clips the play and Paul's play. Paul's play. That's how you made the clips back then with the old JVC VHS machines. You remember that, And uh, it's a lot of time watching film. But I really learned a lot about the game that I thought I knew until I started clipping clips out and putting together edit take for the team, and you started seeing the game for what it was really really worth as you did that. So and that gave me the passion that really really wanted to coach.
Speaker 1: What was the decision?
Speaker 3: Like Lee? It was easy. I don't know if you remember Tim Carter. Tim Carter was was here, Uh four years.
Speaker 1: He got the the UTSA job, right.
Speaker 3: Yes he did. And the next year he brought me to UTSA with him.
Speaker 1: But then you were but you were on staff though you weren't. You were in a GA. No.
Speaker 3: I was on staff as an assistant coach back then it was the restricted earning position. You did everything. You just couldn't go on the road recruiting. And uh, I was there for a year with him. Then I left with Kyle Keller to go to Tyler Junior College to his assistant because I needed recruiting experience. And I was with Kyle for two years. Kyle goes up on the state, I get the head coaching job at Tyler. This is ninety nine and uh then then I'm there for two years as the head coach.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now what was the biggest adjustment you had youth or what was the what was most I don't know the interesting takeaway when you go from UNO Division two level two U T s A.
Speaker 1: What was what was that adjustment?
Speaker 3: Like I think basketball was the same, Doug. It was just you. You was dealing with a different caliber athlete. You know, the guys was I mean, the whole team was athletic. Guys was bigger. They all came from different places. We had a bunch of guys from Chicago, and our teams gots from from Birmingham, Alabama. They were small over the country in San Antonio. So you got a chance chance to really really see better athletes, better players.
Speaker 1: What was it like to be on staff?
Speaker 2: But what it was obviously different, you know from being a GA when you're cutting up tape when you restrict your earrings, how'd your rule check?
Speaker 3: It was? It was fun because I was on the road. We still did scout reports. Was I was in charge of all their own campus recruiting, so when all the kids brought them on campus, I was in charge of the dinners, the visits, the campus tours, and all that kind of stuff, which gave me some hands on experience. And I worked with Kyle Keller. He was one of the assistants, Jeremy Cox. What's the other assistant coach? And it was myself and and didn't coach Carter.
Speaker 2: So so you go to Tyler. So now you've been in junior college. But Texas junior college different than Minnesota junior college. Yep, what's that experience like?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's two different levels of basketball. I mean, Minnesota was a bunch of form kids playing playing community college basketball. At Tyler, it was it was the best of the best that couldn't go to Vision One. All the guys that that didn't go D One, that was don qualifiers, they all came to the best junior college and Tyler was one of them. I mean, you talk about that league, it was Tyler, Trendy Valley Kilgore Parish, who's won national championships Like it was. It was the best of the best. I here talking about guys like Sean Kemp that came through Trendy Valley, Robert Pack that came through Tyler, all these guys that pla in the NBA, Sam Caselle that played at Saint Jack. I mean, it was just so many guys that came through Larry.
Speaker 2: Larry Johnson was Larry Johnson was was yeah, yeah, well now what was keep an eye on the kids?
Speaker 1: The guys like right? Oh oh.
Speaker 3: I stayed in the dorms every night till about nine thirty. I would leave my office, I go hang out in the courtyard in the dorms. When they come back from eating dinner, I'm right there with them and we're just shooting the ship, watching TV. And I'll leave at nine thirty to go home.
Speaker 1: I'm sure your wife like that.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't do it every night, but three out of four nights I was up there with him.
Speaker 2: I mean, when things go wrong, what did what did you guys do that? How was your what was your what was the way when Kyle handle it?
Speaker 3: It was a lot of early morning runs. What made suspensions. We didn't. We didn't suspend many guys if I can't remember, but but it was a lot of running. I knew a lot of running, and a lot of a lot of stadium stairs, a lot of stairs being ran.
Speaker 1: Who's your favorite guy from Tyler who you felt like the whole thing changed his life? Like he ended up?
Speaker 2: He was one guy coming in and then you know, now look at him now, he's.
Speaker 3: A great question. Probably Demetrius Kilgore.
Speaker 1: Tell me about him.
Speaker 3: He's from West Lafayette, Indiana, non qualifying of high school. Six ' five guard, it was about six eleven wingspan, could really play and really shoot it. Big time athlete. So end up going back to Purdue, going to Purdue, played for coach Katie for two years, ended up getting his degree. And now he lives in Dallas and he's the the CEO of a charter school and he has his own school and he's doing a really, really good job. And he's one of those guys that you know, had it been a different junior college than Tyler, I don't know if he had survived.
Speaker 2: It, why what what what were you guys? What'd you guys specifically do that allowed him to be successful.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Cayle cal his whole culture was about the players. It was about making sure sure they got their AA degree to move on. And he was big on pushing academics. He was big on being holistic as a as a player and a person and as a student. And I think guys like that. I think guys they get there, they don't know, they have no idea what's really all about until you getting doctrinated into that culture and realize that, you know, I could be more. I mean he didn't. He didn't think he was a high major player even when he got there. But we knew, like, this kid is really talented, and it worked out for him. But it's so many stories like that, Doug, especially in the junior college ranks. I mean, brang up Emanuel McElroy who grew up in Port Arthur, Texas. That was poor. The kid came to college with a garbage bag of stuff that was his stuff and he ended up playing for Bobby Huggings at Cincinnati and played overseas for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Some mark garbage bags. No no, no, nor no, my.
Speaker 3: Rong garbage bags. But it's a shocking thing. You've seen this. I drive down to pick him up for school. Right, and that's back in the old big suburbans. Right. We drive down to pick him up. He comes out of the house with two black garbage bags and Kyle looks at me and says, that's just all this stuff and uh. He gets in the car and we drive back to Tyler and the rest is history.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about the day your name head coach?
Speaker 3: Oh? It was word how it happened? Because you're like this thory because you're connected with some of these people. Hey, Kyle leaves right and takes the job at you mean at Tyler. Yeah, at Tyler. Cayle leaves takes the job at Oklahoma, stay with coach Sutton. Right, Sure, Scott Sutton gets the or Robbers job at the same time. So Scott has wanted me to come up be as assistant. Right. So I go up interview for the job. I tell Scott give me a couple of days because I'm trying to figure out I can get the head coaching job at Tyler. Right, So I wait around way around the ad. Don't ever say anything to me if I'm getting the job. Just be patient, Crutch, be patient, be patient, I said, I gotta tell coach Sutton something here pretty soon. Now I'm gonna lose this opportunity. Now I'm not gonna have a job at all. Right, So the next day the president call said can you come over and talk to me. I went over to see the president at Tyler Junior College. Bill Crow was his name, and we talked for fifteen minutes and he comes. His last question was do you want to be our head coach? I said yes. He said, well, he looked at his watch. He said, can you go home and put on a suit and be back up here in two hours? We got a press conference. That's how it happened, just like that.
Speaker 1: What'd your wife say?
Speaker 3: She was happy when she worked on campus in the Career Career Assessment building, and I went over and told her. On my way back to my office, I stopped and told her what had just happened, jumped in the car, went home, got dress, came back and did the press conference.
Speaker 1: What's that like to now you're calling the shots first time in your career, first time in your life. Now you're putting together not just a roster, but I actually coaching kind of every game. What's that experience like?
Speaker 3: It was fun. It was fun because you know, at that time, I hadn't had that much experience Doug right, and my experience was watching Tim Carter, you know, watching Kyle Keller and h and being around you know, Coach Sutton as much as I was around Coach Sutton and just watching him working those camps and that kind of stuff. So I had That's the only experience I had as a head coach. So I mean, I didn't know what I was doing. I just kind of copied some of the things that Kyle did, added my own flavor to it, and we end up winning twenty one games that first year in junior college.
Speaker 2: One of the remarkable things about you as a friend but as kind of an outsider is like, you know how guys get when they had some success, You win twenty one games their first year, and they get, well we used to call it the Natesmith complex.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, well they think they think they invented the game.
Speaker 2: But You've always had this a way about you where there's.
Speaker 1: A lack of e go.
Speaker 2: What was that like, like you'd never done this before. Now you win twenty one games. How were you able to keep your ego in check?
Speaker 3: Because I didn't know. I was so naive and what twenty one games meant back then, I really didn't know. Like twenty one games, Okay, he won most of your games, Okay. Then we got to beat second round of our tournament by Sam Jack, who ended up winning the national championship that year, and go to Hutch like the ultimate goal was to get the Hutch to the national tournament. Right. We didn't make it, So in my mind, it wasn't a successful year. Right, But for your first year as a head coach, I now know you won twenty one games. That's a pretty good deal, right. But the next year I came back, I think we won seventeen.
Speaker 1: What what was the decision like to go to New Mexico State?
Speaker 3: It was easy. It was easy. I just had my second kid and we needed the financial boost and worked for a Hall of Famer coach like Lou Henson who had so.
Speaker 1: Like what so, so what were you making at Tyler?
Speaker 3: Uh? Probably forty five?
Speaker 2: And then and then your wife worked there too, So then when you when when you get to New Mexico State job, were you able to get that as far as the package or she because she had her second one, she was gonna work.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, she she ended up working. She ended up working. So she got a job at the school at the school district in Las Cruises, And Uh, I was there working.
Speaker 1: For lou What's what was coachession?
Speaker 3: Like unbelieved, unbelievable, great basketball mine. Uh could walk into any room and win it over in the first ten minutes. Man, he was the first guy that I saw that was as was a coach and a politician. I mean, he just had that knack for being able to go and talk to people, win people over. He was so likable and I learned the business of coaching right there under him. Uh. Just the way he maneuvered and the way he did things.
Speaker 1: Well did he did he? Did he tell you these things?
Speaker 2: Or you just like what did he call you in and you talk about it you talk about on the road or is it just something things that you had to pick up on.
Speaker 3: You just had to pick up on. You just had to be aware of everything that was happening. And at that time, now I was I was young. Mean, I was not even thirty years old, and I was just trying to like, Wow, if I really want to do this, I got to learn how to do this like guys like him. I got to watch this guy really close, and myself and coach Stubblefield Tony was on the same staff together and we just we just watched and observed and took notes and you'd be surprised what you learned in four years being around a guy like that.
Speaker 1: No question, no question. And then you left he retired, Yep, yep? Did he did? He give you the heads up like, how did that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, going into that that last year, he got sick, he got really sick and was in a wheelchair. You know, he decided he was coaching from a megaphone in the wheelchair for the last part of the season. And at the end of the year where a new a d come in and it was time. It was just time and we we all knew. And uh they brought in Reggie Theis that year, and Uh, I was lucky enough to get on at at UH at TCU with Neil Doherty uh and and Tony. Tony Stubblefield was one of my best friends. He ended up staying with with Reggie for that next year. But it was a good time as one of my one of my best jobs. I tell people this outside of Oklahoma. Last cruises was one of my one of my best jobs. Why is that just at the time, you know, we had two young boys and the weather was great. It was a great time. It was wasn't a high pressure job at all, and we had a lot of friends that was on the football staff that was had tied to Nebraska, so we just had a chance to hang out with a lot of people that we had knew already and working for Lou was the best.
Speaker 2: All right, that's it for part one of Chris Crutchfield doing In a part two, why did he decide to leave Oklahoma and go to Arkansas? And then from Arkansas he took a Division two job? And then why leave a Division two head coaching job to get back into Division one? And how did he become the head coach in his own money? All that's upcoming. Thanks so much for listening. Remember to download, subscribe, review, and rate. I'm Doug Gottlieb. This is Oval