Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and their advice for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Charles Duhig to the show. Charles is the author of several books, including the Power of Habit and his latest Super Communicators, which is about how to unlock the secret language of connection. So, Charles, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, tell our listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I live in Santa Cruz, California. I have two kids, both of them teenagers, both boys, And I'm a writer at the New Yorker magazine And as you mentioned, the author of a couple of books, and Super Communicators, the one that came out earlier.
Speaker 1: This year Awesome. And do you consider yourself a good communicator? Are you learning better at it now?
Speaker 2: You know, this book actually started because I fell into this bad pattern with my wife, which I'm imagining many people listening can relate to which is I would come home after a long day at work and I would sart complaining about my day, and you know, my boss doesn't appreciate me, and my coworkers don't understand what a genius I am. And my wife would offer this really good advice. This is something like, why don't you take your boss out to lunch and you guys can get to know each other a little bit more, And instead of being able to hear her advice, I would get even more upset and say, like, you're supposed to be supporting me, why aren't you outraged on my behalf? And then she'd get upset because I was attacking her for giving me good advice. And so that's kind of how the book began, is me calling researchers and saying, I'm theoretically a professional communicator, right, I'm a journalist. Why do I keep falling into this pattern again and again and again of miscommunicating?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we all have different ways of communicating, it turns out, and one of the interests things about super communicators is you talk about how there are three kinds of conversations, and most of us don't necessarily think about what kind of conversation we are having sounds like you and your wife were having two entirely separate conversations.
Speaker 2: In that case, that's exactly right. Yeah. So what researchers have found, and we're actually living through this golden age of understanding communication for really the first time because of advances in neural imaging and data collection, And what they found is that when we have a discussion, we tend to think of it as being about one thing, right, We're talking about my day, where to go on vacation, or the kids' grades. But actually every discussion is made up of different kinds of conversations, and those conversations they tend to fall into one of three buckets. As you just mentioned. There's these practical conversations where we're talking about making plans or solving problems together. But then there's also emotional conversations where I tell you what I'm feeling and I don't want you to solve my feelings. I want you to empathize and relate. And then there's social conversations, which is about how we relate to each other in society and the identities that are important to us. And what researchers have found is that if you're having different kinds of conversations at the same moment, it's very, very difficult to completely hear each other and it's almost impossible to connect. And you're exactly right, that's what was happening with me and my wife. I was having an emotional conversation, she was having a practical conversation, and they're both equally legitimate conversations, but because we weren't having the same kinds of conversation, we couldn't really hear each other. It's within psychology this has become known as the matching principle. The successful communication requires having the same kind of conversation at the same moment, and then you can move from conversation to conversation together as long as you're aligned.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like then, in order to kind of be a better listener, which I'm sure many people would like to be, one of the first things you need to do is figure out what kind of conversation. Yeah, the person you're talking with is hoping to have.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, and one of the best ways to do that, well, so I'll tell you how how to do it. With kids. They actually teach this in schools, is that when someone comes up to you, a student or one of your kids with a problem, you say, look, do you want for this thing that you're talking to me about? Or not even about a problem, just about anything they want to talk about.
Speaker 1: You say, do you.
Speaker 2: Want me to help you? Do you want me to hug you? Or do you want me to hear you? Which are the three kinds of conversations, right, the practical, emotional, and the social. And what you'll find is kids can tell you right away like no, no I don't. I don't I just need you, like I don't need your help, I just need a hug, right or or no, no, I don't need a hug. I just need you to hear what's going on and listen to me, because it's important that I get this across. Now. For adults, you know, in the business world, for instance, it's hard to say do you want to be helped, hugged or heard because they might go to HR so.
Speaker 1: The hug might not work so well exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So the better way to do this is to ask questions, and in particular to ask a kind of question that's own as a deep question, which asks about our values or beliefs or experiences, which can sound a little intimidating, But it's as simple as like, if you meet someone who's a doctor, instead of saying, oh, you know what hospital do you work at, asking them, oh, what made you decide to go to medical school? That invites them to tell you something about who they are.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like, you know, you're asking deeper questions. It's kind of the opposite of small talk. I mean, I know you have a section in the book about taking some shallow questions and making them deeper. I wonder if you could give some examples of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's anything that basically asks people, instead of the facts of their life, asking them about how they feel about their life. Right, So let small talk questions just shallow questions would be like, you know, and these are the easiest things to do. Oh you meet someone at a party and you're like, oh, you know, what part of town do you live in? You know, do you know my friend Jim he lives up in the heights too. A better question would be like, oh, you live in the heights, Like what do you like about the heights? Like is there a real sense of community there? What drew you to that? Or were you find out, you know, you bump into someone who's from your hometown, and an inevitable, shallow question is you know, where'd you go to high school? But then the next question, if it's a deep question, could be what was high school like for you? Like did you enjoy it high school? I was at a meeting where I was sitting next to a guy and we were like just making conversation before the meeting started, and he mentioned that his I asked him when he did that weekend and he said, oh, I went to my kids graduation, and he was like it was fantastic. Now the easiest thing to do and say, oh, congratulations, that's great, But instead I asked him a deep question, I said, and it doesn't seem like a deep question, but it just seems like an interesting, interested question, which is, oh, that's amazing. What did it feel like to watch your kid walk across that stage? Like like were you proud or like sad? That's the kind of question that invites someone to share who they are. And more importantly, when someone talks about their kid going to graduate, going to their kids graduation, that's probably a somewhat emotional topic for them, and instead of simply saying graduate. I matched him and I said, oh, tell me about that. What how did it feel to watch your kid walk across that stage? And we had a great conversation for just like five minutes, and then we went on and we did the meeting, but we felt more connected to each other because we had become aligned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean I think it's it's partly. You know, small talk gets this reputation as being incredibly dull, and it often is, but that's because the questions don't invite further conversation. Whereas you know you're passing the time talking about a deep emotional issue, it going to make the time go a lot faster. Yeah, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back with some more tips on being a better communicator. Well, I am back with Charles Douhig, who is the author of the book Super Communicators and also the book The Power of Habit. He's been sharing some tips on having better conversations. Although I think one of the issues a lot of us have with having good conversations, and you could tell me if this is you know something a lot of people do. We're always thinking about what we should be saying next, which means that your brain isn't necessarily on what the person is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, absolutely. And in the book, we have a bunch of stories, right the Supercommunicators is really built. There's a story about a guy who's a CIA officer as to recruit overseas spies that is just terrible at the job until he learns how to how to genuinely listen to other people. There's another story about the making of The Big Bang Theory, the TV show, where they think the show was not a hit at first. It was a total flop until they figured out how to show that the characters were listening to each other. And one of the things that we know about listening is that you're exactly right. Oftentimes in a conversation, we get a little focused on what we're going to say next, because we want to sound smart, right, We want to we want to sound clever, and we want to sort of share something about ourselves. But the the more we listen, the more we automatically sound clever and share with ourselves, even if it's not premeditated. And there's a trick to getting yourself to listen closely to another person, and it's called looping for understanding the goal of looping for understanding is not only to listen closely, it's to prove to the other person that you've been listening to them. And there's three steps to it. Step one is to ask a question, preferably a deep question. Step two is to repeat back in your own words which you heard them say. Don't mimic them, but like really try and prove to them, Oh, I hear what you're saying. I think what you're saying is this. And then step three, and this is the step I always forget, ask if you got it right? Because when you ask if you got it right, what you're actually asking is can I have your permission to acknowledge that I've been listening to you. Now, think about what you have to do in that conversation instead of thinking about what you're going to say. You have to pay enough attention to the other person that you can repeat back what they're going to tell you in your own words, and you're hopefully going to get it right when we put.
Speaker 1: Ourselves because if they tell you you're wrong, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Then? Well, then you say, okay, I'm sorry, they explain it to me again. I missed something right, And the goal here is like, how do we how do we how do we get ourselves to listen more closely? We get ourselves to listen more closely by paying closer attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so lots of different tips here for being a good listener. But part of this is about treating conversations seriously. And one of the things you suggest in super communicators is actually doing some preparation for a conversation, and not just difficult conversations, because we're going to talk about difficult conversations in a minute, but even just like, let's say I'm going out to lunch with a friend of mine I haven't seen in six months, so obviously I'm probably looking forward to it. You know, it's a thing I've gotten on my calendar, probably had it there for at least a week or two, so I'm excited about it. How we should I prepare for that in order to make it more meaningful for both of us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's a great question, right because and you probably already do. Some of this is that as you're anticipating seeing your friend, you're thinking to yourself, I'm really curious I'm going to ask her about this or I'm going to ask her about that. I wonder what's going on with her kids. Last time we talked, she was having some middle school problems, and I wonder if they've resolved that. You're already preparing for that conversation, and so the question is is how can we do that all the time? How can we make that a habit? Well, there was a study that was done by Harvard Business School where they brought in a bunch of students, Harvard Business School students, this was like in their first month of school, and they told them, Okay, in a couple of minutes, you're going to have a conversation with a stranger. Now, having a conversation with a stranger is like one of the most anxiety producing things you can ask someone to do, right like always, because we don't know what we're going to ask about, we don't know if we have anything in common. And they said, before you have this conversation, what we want you to do is we want you to do this just ten second exercise. Take out a piece of paper and write down three things you might want to talk about, or three questions you might want to ask, or just three topics that are interesting to you. They can be stupid, right, like, you know, are you going to the party this weekend? Did you catch last night's game? And they said, okay, take ten seconds, write down those three questions and then put them in your pocket and go have the conversation. So students did this, They wrote down their three things, they went and they had the conversations, and afterwards they pulled the students and they asked them, did you guys talk about the things you wrote down? And most of the students said no, like, actually it never came up. But on the other hand, like, the conversation was so much less anxiety producing for me and went so much better than I anticipated, because I knew that if we hit like an awkward silence, I had those questions in my back pocket, and the fact that they were in my back pocket meant that I didn't even have to I didn't even have to ask them. Oftentimes, when we're going to have a conversation with someone, particularly an important, meaningful conversation, one of the best things we can do is just sit down and ask ourselves, what is one thing that I want to tell this person about, Like, what's one thing that's important to me that I want to share with them, and equally, what is one question that you absolutely want to ask that person And you might get to that topic and that question in your conversation. But the fact that you've thought a little bit about what what your goals are for the conversations, that you've tried to envision what the other person's goals are for the conversations, that's going to make it so much more natural to find the things you actually care about.
Speaker 1: Wonderful a good idea for better conversation there. But you know, some conversations, you know, probably if you're just having a random conversation with another student at Harvard Business School, it might be just casual, you know, not particularly fraught. I know a lot of people, especially you know, charged political environments, lots of topics that are heeded for people these days. As you know, this will air after the election, but I know a lot of people are going to be visiting extended family, maybe people who have different political opinions than them. I mean, without getting into the politics itself, how do we have conversations with people that we know disagree with us on a lot. Yeah, if we're also trying to maintain the relationship. So maybe picture Thanksgiving dinner, aunts or uncle who disagrees with you vehemently on everything.
Speaker 2: How does that work well? So the first thing I would say is, it's not that this is unusual, right, There's lots of things that we disagree with our best friends on or our family members. In fact, if you think about like America, like what's made us strong, it's that we are really good at disagreeing with each other and then working together. The Constitutional Convention was basically a bunch of people coming together who hated each other, and all they did was yell at each other for three months straight, and then they wrote a constitution together. Having conversations with people who don't agree with us, that's an important part of conversation, and that's one of the nice things about communication. And so the question is how do we do it right? So the first thing I would say is that oftentimes when people go into that conversation they are feeling really anxious. They're not anxious necessarily about the topic of the conversation, They're anxious about what the conversation is going to be, Like, you know, is Jim going to say something that offends me so much that like it's really hard for me to continue having dinner with him. Am I going to say the wrong thing? And am I gonna set Susie off by saying something that offends her that I didn't even realize was offensive. And so one of the best things we can do for those conversations is we can start them by saying, I want to have a discussion about something, and I want I know that it's going to be awkward, and that's okay, Like it's okay for this conversation to be awkward. It should kind of be awkward, and I might say the wrong thing because in the space between my brain and my lips what I'm trying to get across sometimes it gets garbled. And I hope you'll forgive me if I say if I say things wrong, and I want you to know that if you say the wrong thing, I will absolutely forgive you. But talking about this and understanding how you see this situation it's important to me, and so if you're willing, I'd love to have a conversation with you about it. What study of the study shows is if you start a conversation by acknowledging that it might be hard, that it might be awkward, by apologizing and saying I go into this with the best of intentions, and I hope you do too. It can transform how difficult that conversation is. That doesn't mean everyone's going to agree with each other, but it does mean that it's going to go much easier.
Speaker 1: And it seems that partly it's just about being polite, right, that use remembering our manners even when it is a heated conversation can go a long way. And that was one of the more fascinating studies you referenced in this book is that when people well you can describe it, and people use their manners online, they even manage to turn down the temperatural absolutely.
Speaker 2: It turns out that online if you say please and thank you, it can transform the tenor of the discussion. And I think the reason why is because you know, when you think about it, in these conversations that are tough conversations, what's the goal. If your goal is I want to give that person a peace in my mind, or I want to prove to them that I'm right and there wrong, it's not that surprising that the conversation is not going to go very well, right, But the goal of a conversation shouldn't be to prove to make the other person agree with you. It shouldn't even be to impress them that you're smarter get them to like you. The goal of a conversation is just to understand what the other person is trying to say and to speak in such a way that they understand you. And when we set that as our goal, when we go into a conversation, we say, look, I might disagree with you, but I genuinely want to understand why you see the world this way. All of a sudden, that conversation becomes much easier, and that politeness that you mentioned, that's a signal that we want to do that when I say please and thank you, when I say, you know, that's a really really good point. I disagree with you, but I think you made that point really really well. What we're really saying is it is my goal to understand you as my primary objective. Everything else is secondary to that. And when we feel like someone is listening to us, we become much more likely to listen to them in response.
Speaker 1: And I think partly it's just that when we're communicating, we were seeing each other, or we're using our voices. I mean, you can hear more of that, that it's calm, that it's respectful versus online, when you're just seeing print, it's probably easy to take the worst possible explanation for somebody's sayings. So they say give me your evidence, you imagine them shouting over you give me your evidence, as opposed to genuinely life. I'd like to see what you're basing this on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, And think about sarcasm, right, Like, if I said something sarcastic, you know immediately that I mean sarcastic because you can hear it my voice. But when I type something stark, you have no idea. You think of just being a jerk. And I think that that's really really important, is that different channels of communication have different strengths and weaknesses. And when we get into trouble, it's when we forget that there's different rules, different rules for different channels. Right that when I'm talking to you, I can say something sarcastic, but when I'm online, I shouldn't be sarcastic because you're not going to hear the sarcasm in my voice. It's not that these different channels of communication are better or worse, or that some of them are terrible it's that they each have a different set of rules, and we get into trouble when we forget those rules. But if we just remind ourselves and we all know this, right, we know that there's a difference between making a phone call and seeing someone face to face and sending them a text versus sending them an emoji. We know that these different forms of communication require slightly different approaches. When we remember that we remind ourselves, it goes much much better.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, We're going to take one more quick ad break and then we'll be back with some of Charles's personal productivity tips. Well, I am back. This is one of the longer episodes of Before Breakfast. I am interviewing Charles Duhig about how to be a better communicator. He's also written about productivity topics in the past. We have a lot of people who love productivity tips listening to this show, So Charles, maybe you can tell us a little bit about how you personally make to do lists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of this came from when I was writing The Power of Habit right about how to build the right habits that make you more productive. So one of the things that research has shown is that Oftentimes, when someone comes up with a to do list, when we write it to do list, and I used to do this myself, we're making a critical mistake. The goal of a to do list should be to help you figure out what your priorities are. The goals of a memory list are to write down all those things that it's hard to carry around in your brain. So I have a memory list that has twenty or thirty different tasks on it, all these things that like, over time, I want to get done, because if I don't write them down, I'm going to forget them. But that's not my to do list, and that shouldn't be my to do list because what will happen is when I look at that list, that memory list, the thing that I'm gonna do is I'm going to look for the easiest task to complete because it feels so good. It gives you what's known as a cognitive sense of closure to get to be able to cross that thing off. In fact, studies show that something like thirty percent of people when they write a to do list, they'll actually include on this to do list something they've already completed so that they can cross it off and feel good.
Speaker 1: About that, So that's your I've never done that, Charles, never, never, never done.
Speaker 2: So it's important to have a memory list. You should definitely have a memory list, but you should not make that your to do list. Your to do list is something that you come up with every morning. And what you do is you look at your memory list and you say, what is the number one most important thing for me to get done today? Okay, that's the first item on my to do list. If I get that done. What's the second most important thing to get done today? Okay, that's number two. Now, odds are you're only going to get those two things done, right, Maybe you'll only get one of them done. But just in case, just in case, what's the third most important? And the next day, when you wake up and you got one done and two done, number three might become number one on your to do list for the next day. What studies show us is that you should never have more than three things on your to do list, but those three things should be the most important things. And in fact, in some ways, having just one thing on your to do list is really really valuable if it's the most important thing, because oftentimes, if we have too many things on our to do list, we'll skip the most important thing. We'll skip the thing that we put number one in order to do the other things that are easier. So a to do list should be what is the most important priority for today? What will move the ball farthest today? What do I have to get done? And the memory list is where I dump everything I need to remember and I use those to figure out what goes number one, two and three on my to do list for today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a saying around here that to do means today. Yeah that if you're putting it on the to do list, it means that you are doing it today. And there's a contract with yourself, so exactly.
Speaker 2: And there's some stuff that you can do today, right that like you really want to get done, but you know it's you're not going to get a chance to do it till next week. That's the thing that should go on the memory list to remind yourself next week that you want to do this, but that to do list should be today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely good advice. So, Charles, what is something that you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome? That is our tagline around here. We're always looking for ways to take our days from great to awesome. So what's something you've done recently that has made a day extra special?
Speaker 2: You know? So I'll tell you this quick story that comes from supercommunicators. There's this this study that's known as the Adult or the Harvard Study of Adult Development, where what they've done is for eighty years now that researchers have fall around thousands and thousands of people to try and figure out what are the things that make people most successful, make them healthiest, and make them live longest. And when this project started back in the nineteen twenties and thirties, they had all kinds of crazy theories. Right. It was being done at Harvard, so they were like, well, if you go to Harvard, you're probably going to be much happier in life than everyone else, which turns out not to be true, you know. And they said things like, well, if you come from a good family, if you get married early, if you have kids but not too many kids. And it turns out none of those things actually impact our health and our happiness and our success. There is one thing that does, though. You will be happy, healthy and successful at age sixty five if you have at least a handful of close relationships at age forty five, because of course you're just you're not just having those relationships age forty five, right, these are people that you can keep in touch with. What we know is that lonely. Being lonely is the equivalent of smoking fifteen cigarettes a day. It's terrible for you. And the cure for loneliness isn't having a thousand friends. It's having just a handful of friends that you actually keep in touch with that person that you haven't talked to and in a month and a half giving them a call and saying, hey, let's just catch up for fifteen or twenty minutes. So the way that I make my day from good to great, from good to awesome is I set aside some time to have a conversation with someone that I haven't talked to in a while. Because that feeling of connection, that feeling of hearing each other and being heard and learning something new about the world and renewing that connection that makes you feel amazing. And I think it's really really important. It makes us healthier and happier and ultimately makes us live longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, Well, I am personally forty five years old. So I will take that to heart and looking around making sure I have good connections. Hopefully these people are sticking around for the next twenty years. But we'll see, we'll see. They mostly seem like they're good people in willbild you know, you never know, but this is a great stuff, Charles. So, where can our listeners find you these?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So my website is Charlesdohig dot com. Or if you google Power of Habit or Super Communicators, I'll definitely come up on Twitter and LinkedIn and Instagram. And the book Super Communicators. You can buy it at any bookstore right It's on Amazon. Your local booksellers are fantastic. The audiobook is really popular on audible dot com. I actually read it myself, but yeah, I would love to hear from folks and I'm easy to find excellent.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you want to hear more of Charles voice, go check out the audiobook and Charles, thank you so much for joining us. Everyone could go check out his book and to our listeners. If you have feedback about this episode or suggestions for future topics, you can let me know at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.