Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirchen. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkchen And Dad, I'm just now returning from a trip to Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, where we celebrated my wife and her twin brothers early thirtieth birthday, in.
Speaker 2: Which I also you see this shirt? Was that? Say? Uh? Oh? Dad? Getting his glasses on Fenway Park established nineteen twelve, that's right, home of the Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 1: I bought a shirt because we took a Fenway Park tour while we were in town.
Speaker 2: Dad, Well, so cool, you've already done that. How did Emily? And how did Emily enjoy it? Oh? Loved it? Thought it was so cool.
Speaker 1: I mean, she has become such a baseball fan in the last couple of years and hearing the history of the game, the history of the Red Sox at Fenway Park, and it's so interesting because she's never been to a ballpark that is that old, right, so right, it's the oldest, so.
Speaker 2: Open the week the Titanic seg that's how old Fenway Park is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's oldest park in Major League Baseball. Wrigley Field is next, and then they had a big trivia question, and our entire group, eight of us, just kept looking at me every time there was a trivia question. What is the third oldest baseball park, which is Sonders Stadium, right, So I.
Speaker 2: Was able to get that right.
Speaker 1: I kind of I didn't want to start stealing the tour guide's thunder here because I knew all of the big answers as to what was going on the red seat in right field Ted Williams, of course, like I didn't want to steal his thunder, but they kept looking at me asking me to raise my hand.
Speaker 2: And try to answer the question.
Speaker 1: So I tried to keep a low profile dad on the Fenway Park tour.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm proud of you. What was Emily? What was her takeaway? What fascinated her most about the trip to the Fens.
Speaker 1: Well, a number one thing was they were setting up a stage for the Jonas Brothers concert that night. So the most fascinating thing at the moment for her was thinking that Kevin Nick and Joe would be at Fenway Park that evening. But other than that, we were sitting during the tour. We sat in seats that have been there, and I'm gonna make sure, I come close to the date, like the seats have been there since nineteen thirty four, the same original wooden seats.
Speaker 2: Which was unbelievable to think of.
Speaker 1: Your dad, my grandfather growing up in Watertown, Massachusetts, absolutely sitting in those seats as a high schooler.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy? It's crazy that place is so old and it's so what did she think of the Green Monster? That must have she must have said something, because I remember Jared Ratty bigger than she thought it was.
Speaker 1: And we went up and were on the Monster seats, which was really cool, and she kind of said, oh, if we ever went to a game, we got to sit up here, And I said, everybody wants to sit on the Monster seats. They're the most coveted seats in Major League Baseball arguably. So she loved it. And we found out why they built the Monster. Do you know why they built the Green Monster?
Speaker 2: Yes, Jeff. They had such a small amount of room in which to build the stadium that they had to shoehorn it in to the land, and the only way to do that was to keep left field really close to home plate, and in order to do that, they built a thirty seven foot high wall.
Speaker 1: Well, and here's the detail the tour guide gave us too, Dad that it wasn't originally a monster, right it usually it's not thirty seven feet tall.
Speaker 2: The whole time. They actually built it taller.
Speaker 1: The owner did because there used to be a car dealership across the street and home runs.
Speaker 2: Were regularly hit over the.
Speaker 1: Then ten foot wall and crashing into vehicles, and then the owner had to pay for the repair of the vehicles. That I can't pay for these vehicles anymore, so they built the wall up.
Speaker 2: So nobody could hit it over, right. But Mark McGuire, I've told you this story before. Jeff famously, during the height of his career, hit a ball over the wall and it smashed the windshield of a car and went right into the guy's front seat. Okay, Now, the kicker to the story hit it off of Zane Smith, by the way. But the kicker is is that the guy had locked his keys in the car. This is like late nineties, so we don't have all these gadgets now to open up your car from the car dealership. He was trapped without his car keys. And then Mark McGuire hit a home run that broke his windshield and he was able to retrieve his car keys, and then he brought the ball somehow to Mark maguire, who's signed it, something to the effect of I'm glad I could save your car keys or something like that. I mean, that actually happened, like it can't happen, but it's true. Jeff the Wall, I'll never forget. Jerry Fraley, Hall of Fame baseball writer, went there for the first time in nineteen eighty six and we're standing on the field at Fenway Park before a World Series game. He'd never been there, and he looked at me in these typical frails and said, do they take that thing down when the game starts? That's what he That's how close left field is there. And Jeff, I'm going to tell you a story that I've never told publicly. But this is wildly self serving, but I'm going to tell it anyway. Nineteen eighty six, I'm covering the Orioles for the Baltimore Sun and Earl Weaver, the famous great manager, irascible Earl Weaver, the Mickey Rooney look like. Earl Weaver says to me, he says, you think you could throw a ball off the left field wall at Fenway Parker. We're standing in the on deck circle, so I'm not even throwing it from home plate. But Earle starts yelling at me. You cover the team, you think you know everything. He's half joking with me. He goes, do you think you could throw a ball off the left field wall from right here? So I have to take him up on it, and I say, yes, I think I can throw a baseball off the left field wall from the on deck circle, which was closer to leftfield wall. It's three hundred and nine feet away. I don't even think it's that long technically, so I the next day. The next day, I had to put my money where my mouth was. Now keep in mind, Jeff I got challenged on this by Earl Weaver, the Hall of Fame manager, so he was late to the ballpark the next day, so Cal Ripken cal Junior's dad was in was therefore put in charge of this challenge. And I threw a ball off the left field wall from the on deck circle, which was roughly a throw of I want to say, two n eighty five to ninety feet and I hit the wall, and Earl got there like twenty minutes later and said, because we bet some some ridiculously low amount of money. He looks at Senior and goes, well, what happened, and Cal Sor looks at Earl and goes, the kid did it. And it was really I'm not sure what to make of the story. I can't believe I'm going to tell the story publicly for the first time in forty years. But Larry Sheets, Larry Sheets, who son, Gavin Sheets plays for the Padres. Now Larry hears about this bet and he goes, you're not actually going to try to throw it off the wall? You? And I said, well, yeah, I think I can do it. I said, you don't think I can do it. He goes, you can't do it. I can't do it, and he said if I can't do it, you can't do it. Well, of course, Larry Sheets could throw a baseball farther than I can. But Jeff, you know in my I could still throw a baseball at age sixty eight. I threw it off the wall from the on deck circle and Earl Weaver had to pay off a loss. And Cal Ripken was the umpire in this situation to determine if I hit the ball, hit the wall in the air or not. And I did.
Speaker 1: It's impressive. It's very impressive. How high up the wall, not that it matters, go I'm there.
Speaker 2: There's padding there, Jeff, that goes up about I would say eight feet or something to protect the outfielders. I threw it above the padding. Wow, I'm pretty sure I threw a baseball three hundred feet in the air, which I already knew I could do that because I'd done it before. So it wasn't like I was taking on something that I had no idea what I was doing. So that That's my incredibly terrible self serving story about Fenway Park. And this is the first time I've ever told this to anyone, that I'll tell you this much.
Speaker 1: You have a podcast, now it's okay to tell stories about yourself. This was one of the biggest things we had to get over when we first started the podcast.
Speaker 2: This isn't just a baseball podcast.
Speaker 1: In fact that now we even say to friends and people who listen, this is a father son podcast about baseball. Right, The thing that comes first is father and son, and nothing, and I mean nothing is more relatable than when you are challenged with an athletic competition or a bet.
Speaker 2: You have to try. You have to try it. Absolutely. I didn't just get challenged, hip. I got challenged by Earl Weaver, who told me you have no chance to do no chance, no chance. So I won the bet. So you did it? All right?
Speaker 1: All right, well dad, let's jump into Major League baseball. Tell us what are your takeaways of what's been going on the last couple of days?
Speaker 2: All right, just a few things. Jeff cal Raley hit homers forty eight and forty nine. Okay, same game. So now he has more multi homer games nine than anybody in the history of the Seattle Mariners, including Ken Griffy Junior. In one season. He has the most homers forty nine of any primary catcher, passing Salvador Perez of the Royals. Okay, the only switch hitter who has more homers in a season is Mickey Mantle, who had a fifty four and a fifty two homer season, and cal Raley may wipe all of that out. So we've been talking about this all year, Jeff, and there on Sunday, two more homers. He did it. It's incredible and he's on his way potentially to winning the MVP. But Jeff, I've been asked a whole bunch of times is this the greatest season ever by a catcher? And I'm sorry, I'm just not ready to go there yet. Okay, you know, Johnny Bench in nineteen seventy two won the MVP and had a war that is significantly higher than cal Rally's, although cal Raley hasn't finished with the season yet, okay. And Mike Piazza had a war in nineteen seventy seven that is significantly higher than cal Raley's, but again, he's not done yet. Ops plus Jeff is a real reminder and a real interesting statistic. Johnny Bench's ops plus in nineteen seventy two was won sixty six, which is essentially what cal Rally's is right now, and Mike piazzas in nineteen ninety seven was one eighty five. So I'm still not ready to call this the greatest season ever by a catcher, but it's in the conversation, and it might be if he has a great final five weeks. I love the big Dumper.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's hard to take down Aaron Judge when you're batt in three twenty four right him, he's having a heck of a season with forty home runs himself.
Speaker 2: But we'll see how it shakes out.
Speaker 1: So you're voting for the nl MVP, so no one can get mad at you if one or the other wins the AL MVP, because it's not up.
Speaker 2: To you, right, And you gotta be careful. You can't be telling everyone who you're gonna vote for, because that defeats the purpose of a secret ballot. And we you know, it comes out in the middle of November, not at the end of September. Okay, right. Justin Verlanders struck out now has three thy, five hundred and fifteen strikeouts and he passed who on the all time strikeout list. Remember who you're.
Speaker 1: Talking to here, Jeff Well, I mean it has to be proud alum of Walter Johnson High School, Tim Kirkshan talking about Walter Johnson, who.
Speaker 2: We try to get into every episode of Is this a great Game or what? And we're pretty darn close to doing that. Yes, And again, there's no comparing the eras Jeff. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's almost apples and oranges. But Justin Verlander has twenty six complete games in his career. Walter Johnson completed twenty six or more games in eleven consecutive seasons, so eleven straight years he had as many or more complete games as Justin Verlander has had in his career. Not a criticism of Justin Verlander, this is the game that we play today, but the durability of Walter Johnson needs to be recognized. And with his next shutout, Justin Verlander will have ten okay in his career, Walter Johnson has one hundred and ten, so with his next shutout he will draw within a hundred shutouts of Walter Johns.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling he won't pass him for shutouts or complete games in his career.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna app Also, speaking of complete games, Jeff I checked today thirteen teams do not have a complete game this year, so almost half the teams of the major leagues do not have a complete game. The record is thirteen teams without a complete game set in twenty twenty two. So if the thirteen teams that don't have one, if there are no more complete games, we will tie a major league record. This speaks to a much bigger issue. What are we going to do about getting the complete game back in the game. I won't see a couple back anytime soon. I just found it interesting that we have tied a record right now, and maybe if somebody completes a game, we won't set we won't keep the tying of the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is relevant because you know, you mentioned how many teams are don't have a complete game yet We're coming to the end of the season, and tell me I'm wrong. Is September and October the greatest months when it comes to all things sports. You've got the beginning of the college football season this weekend, You've got the NFL, You've got baseball race for pennants, and then the playoffs September and October. And then I mean, just selfishly, I'm not a summer guy, so I love fall weather so like it's just so perfect.
Speaker 2: Right, And basketball the NBA starts, yeah at least, and hockey starts in September, and we have the Ryder Cup this year. I mean, it's right, It's gonna be an absolutely fabulous month. And October is my favorite because it's baseball playoffs. It's great.
Speaker 1: And speaking of the Ryder Cup, we should probably tease we're gonna have Tiger Woods on the podcast. I'm just kidding, Dream Guests, Dream Guests, not a chance. We've only talked about Tiger Woods almost as much as we've talked about Walter Johnson on this podcast.
Speaker 2: We have a better chance of getting Walter Johnson than we do getting Tiger Woods. And Walter Johnson died in nineteen forty six. Okay, all right, Jeff. Last thing, The Brewers had a tribute to Bob Uker on Sunday and it was just beautifully done. We love Bob Buker. Anytime we get a chance to talk about him, we should so. Jeff nineteen ninety eight. I want to say I made a speech at the Brewers mid Winter Banquet and Bob Uker was the EMC, and he was the funniest EMC in the history of EMC's. He absolutely just wing the whole thing, didn't have anything written down, made everybody laugh from start to finish, and I made I was the guest speaker that night, which was very nice. But the story behind that, Jeff, is it was taking place in January and I'm flying out of Washington Dulles and I'm thinking it's snowing like crazy. There is zero chance that this plane is going to take off. So you know how scared I am about being late to the airport. I said, all right, I know this flight's going to be canceled. I gotta go to the airport anyway, because I'm making a speech there. I gotta be there the night before. So I get to the airport finally, after battling my way through the snow, I get to the gate and I say to them, are you telling me this flight is still on? And they said yes, and that flight took off Jeff from Washington Dulles to Milwaukee. And I am not making this up. I was the only person on the flight. And I mean this thirty rows. There must have been one hundred and twenty seats maybe more on this airplane. But I said to the stewardess, I said, the several stewardess is because there were four more stews though there were me on the plane four to one. I said, why are we taking off if only one person is going? And she said, well, we have to be there tomorrow to bring people back, so the crew has to go. So I was the only person on the plane. I got unlimited snacks and I got an entire canna die coke because I was the only person on the plane. Did they? Did they?
Speaker 1: When you boarded and you weren't an elite member and then a premium member boarding group one?
Speaker 2: It was boarding group two. No, it was the groups. It was boarding one, because that's quite what it was. Boarding one person.
Speaker 1: That was me boarding Tim Kirkshin. Tim Kirkshin board the plane. But they didn't tell you, like, sir, sorry you booked the I alt not the window.
Speaker 2: Can you please go into your seae? They told me, thankfully, you could sit wherever you want. So only person on a gigantic airplane. All right, that's funny. All right, dad, What do you have for the Courtins right now? Well, a listener named Todd Addington got me curious about something Nathan Church of the Cardinals. Todd wrote me and he said, Nathan Church scored a run, drove in a run, and stole a base before he got his first major league hit. He sounds odd to me. Whence the last time it happened? Well, I couldn't, so I called Frank at the Elias. And as it turns out, as always, Jeffins, none of these things are as odd as you think. Because baseball provides oddities all the time. So Pete crow Armstrong in the MVP race in the National League twenty twenty three did the same thing. He get this. He went oh for fourteen but scored three runs, drove in a run, and stole two bases before he got a hit. So the answer Todd, You're very curious, thank you question is Pete crow Armstrong in twenty twenty three, and he went fourteen at bats without getting a hit, but had all sorts of runs, RBIs and stolen bases.
Speaker 1: I forgot that we gave you access to Great Game or what dot com if people wanted to ask questions to you. So I emailed this question from Todd and he emailed me back. Sorry, Jeff, your dad already asked me the same question. Now I'm over two on questions I've asked Frank from the Elias.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, speaking of the Cubs, no box for the Cubs this year, zero box, Okay, balk is a relatively rare thing. But and the last time a team went through a whole season without a box was the Mariners in twenty twenty two and the Rangers in twenty twenty one, So it's less unusual than I thought it would be. What I didn't know, Jeff, was I looked up the most box ever by a single pitcher in baseball history, and Steve Carlton, the greatest picture in the history of the of the Philadelphia Phillies, had ninety bocks in his career and second most is Bob Welsh with forty five, So he had twice as many boks as the next guy on the list. The Steve Carlton, of course, was left handed. Jeff, he had a good pickoff move, so a lot of times when you know he stepped to the plate instead of stepping straight to first, he got called a bock. Ninety bocks Bob Welsh, second forty nine. I was surprised to see that also, Jeff through Sunday. The Cardinals, who used to run the bases like crazy in the in the crazy eighties, they have five triples the whole year. Five triples the whole year at the low total of the last team to play one hundred or more games in a season and finish with five or fewer triples, where the Blue Jays in two thousand and seventeen. So there are sixteen individual players with at least five triples this year, led by sixteen from Corbyn Carroll of the Diamondbacks. So and it serves and Jeff, the all time record for triples in a season is thirty six by Owen Wilson in nineteen twelve. Now, Jeff, Owen Wilson Meet the Parents is an actor, of course, and that inspired me, which we'll do in a few minutes on is this great game? Or what the All Actor slash Baseball team? So you got about twenty minutes to come up with your list, I've already got mine made. And there's some fun names on the list, say the least led by Owen Wilson, one of our three outfielders, and.
Speaker 1: Dan, you know, Owen Wilson is the voice of Lightning the Queen, Yes, in the movie.
Speaker 2: Cars right, which I watched this morning with Carson Keenahan because he's sick home from school on Monday and I had to sit with him till mommy came home. And so yes, we were listening to Owen Wilson, right. So, Jeff, we had some really cool names this week. We had Braxton Fulford of the of the Rockies, faced Braxton Ashcart of the Rockies. That's first time A Braxton faced a Braxton in Major League history. The pitchers of record the other night for the A's and the Mariners were Tyler Ferguson and Caleb Ferguson. First time ever that two guys whose last name is Ferguson were the pitchers of record in the same game, and one that was pointed out by many of our listeners who are very clever. Jeff, I'm so impressed. We had the Jack Dryer pitch for the Dodgers against Gavin Sheets, so we had the dryer sheets. In fact, that's so beautiful. Yeah. Yeah, it's not the first time this year they faced each other. We recognized this before, but every time it happens, I think we need to do a shout out for the drier sheets or sheets dryer at bat.
Speaker 1: I mean that could be an October matchup too, Yes, so we got to keep an eye on that for a play off dryer sheets. Which, Dad, if you and I were to go head to head on a playoff washing of clothes, I think you'd take me down. You are one heck of a laundry man. You do not mess around in a laundry room, Jeff.
Speaker 2: I I like to do the laundry. Not that I enjoy it, I just I just hate the thought. It's like old dishes. It's like dish, dirty dishes in the sink. Gotta get rid of it. And it's like dirty clothes sitting all over the house. Can't do it, get rid of them. Let's wash them, fold them and put them back.
Speaker 1: I love doing the dishes, love it, Love it so much. I love loading a dishwasher. Don't love unloading a dishwasher. And it ends up being my job in the mornings before I go to work, So I'm unloading a dishwasher at four fifteen. Have you ever tried to unload a dishwasher in a kitchen that sits beneath a nursery for a baby?
Speaker 2: That's an Olympic sport? No, Jeff, I never, it's dad.
Speaker 1: I have to do one plate at a time. You know, normally you would take two plays. It's maybe with one hand and they kind of clang and then you put them in. Then two plates, right, Nope, it's one one, yeah, because I don't want to make too much noise and make anybody up.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I taught you to be as quiet as a butler, and you're very good at it. So you do work around the house without waking up everybody in the house. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the only thing is I do have very loud footsteps. Have you ever been accused of having a loud footstep.
Speaker 2: One hundred and thirty seven pounds this morning, Jeff, No, no loud footsteps for me. Good for you. Welcome up my shoes. I'm like an elephant over there. Yeah, seven and a half shoe, one hundred and thirty seven pounds. I don't make much noise. I'm really really nifty on my feet.
Speaker 1: On this date in baseball history, Dad, what do you have for us?
Speaker 2: All right? Nineteen eighty seven, Paul modlors thirty nine game hitting streak ended. It's one of the longest hitting streaks in Major League history. Paul Maldor was a great hitter that year, and the streak ended at home against the Indians. Then the Indians and the Brewers won one to nothing in ten innings. Rick Manning came up and pinch hit in the game and drove in the winning run. Got the walk off single to win the game. With Paul Molitor in the on deck circle at County Stadium, and Rick Manning told me this later, but I remember when it happened. He got booed in his old stadium because he hit a walk off single and prevented Paul Molitor from getting another at bat that could have potentially extended his thirty nine game hitting streak. So Rick Manning one of the great funny guys and a great defensive center fielder number twenty eight in his prime. He jokingly told me I'm the only guy who's ever been booed for getting a walk off single to win a game.
Speaker 1: Dad, I have a on this state in Baseball hit story. It was actually yesterday, August the twenty fifth. This was sent in by Greg Kelly on this date, August twenty fifth, nineteen seventy six, Bill Freehan hit his two hundredth career home run.
Speaker 2: Right, which is his total of his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he hit one hundred at home and one hundred on the road.
Speaker 2: Isn't that tremendous, Jeff? That's beautiful coincidence. Now let's see how well you remember the Bill Freean note I had last week about nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, and I remember, and that's why it peaked my Oh.
Speaker 2: Gosh, who won the side? Who won the MVP in the American League in nineteen sixty eight. He won thirty one games for the Detroit Tigers. Denny McClain.
Speaker 1: Oh, and they are the only pitcher catcher to fish one two one.
Speaker 2: Two MVP voting. How great is that? Bill Freehand? I told you very underrated player. Two hundred homers. I did not know. I knew he had two hundred. I didn't know one hundred home, one hundred road. So good. We love to see that, Okay, Jeff? On this date last year where Danny Jansen became the first player ever to play for two teams in the same game. Played for the Blue Jays, game was suspended, joined the Red Sox, so he appeared in the box score for both teams, first time that had ever happened in Major league history. He was very funny talking about that. How many phone calls he's gotten, right, And the first thing he did is look at the schedule. It said, oh my gosh, I got a chance to do this. Do you remember who we called last year and talked about this. Remember we called Joel Youngblood on the phone. Joel Youngblood's claimed the same was what Jeff, he got a hit? Oh?
Speaker 1: He got a hit in two different for two different teams on the same Dame to day.
Speaker 2: Right, he was traded and he was in the air. He was in the air. He had to take three care rides to get to Montreal on time. When he got there at nine oh five, ten minutes later, ten minutes after arriving in the locker room, they put him in a game and he got a hit. And remember what Joel Youngblood said, kind of kidding, kind of kidding. He said, that guy's trying to break my record. He didn't break my record. No one's ever gonna do what I did. No one will ever do what I did again. And he kind of joked, but he was pretty serious that no one's going to get two hits for two different teams and two different states in the same day. That's what Joel Youngblood did. Also Jeff Birthdays nineteen eighty five, David Price was born. I still get a kick out of David Price, former Cy young winner, very good major league pitcher long time. Had a dog named Astro, which I just thought was the funniest thing, so typical. I love dogs names. I said, David, what's the deal with your dog Astro? What's that from He Goes the Jetsons? What else? I said, David, You're way too young to know what the Jetson's all. I grew up watching the Jetsons cartoon in the sixties. I know who Rastro is and all that he goes. I love the Jetsons. I watch it all the time. So here we had a baseball player born in nineteen eighty five who named his dog after Astro from the Jetsons. You find that interesting at all? I love it?
Speaker 1: But I mean I thought he was going down the theme of what my dogs had been. My first dog was Pirate. First dog my wife and I got Pirate, and now we have a Ranger after we lost Pirate. So I already told my wife we're gonna have to keep up the theme with whatever dog we get next. And at the rate of likability that Ranger has in our household, that could be coming sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, that, Jeff, this is so interesting you would bring that up. Guess who was born ten years on this date after David Price was born my dog Pirate. I'm just kidding who Rangers for it? Oh? No way, today is his birthday. So Emily's favorite player Rager Suarez that you named Rager your dog after was born on this date in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny. She loves Ranger Suarez. It's ultimately why we named our dog Ranger. And she saw a clip on social media, Dad of a Philadelphia sports talk show saying.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if Ranger has it for.
Speaker 1: You know, a full season. He starts hot and then he ends up getting cold. Will he be able to do this for a full year kind of thing? And she basically said to me, don't don't let them talk bad about my guy.
Speaker 2: That's like, oh, I'm so sorry. Ranger Suarez love it. That's great. All right, So those are the this date in baseball history, Jeff for August the twenty sixth.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get to our team Tim Dad, which I know you're really excited for with the actors' team Tim.
Speaker 2: All after Owen Wilson. Right, Owen Wilson. We should quickly up that.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on the podcast, we'll have ad Nan Verk back for the second time he's appeared on this show. He's got a new book out, It's Ciniphile, and you know he is not only great with MLB Network and so many other things.
Speaker 2: That guy is so busy.
Speaker 1: He does a great job former co worker with my dad at ESPN.
Speaker 2: But he's also a movie buff.
Speaker 1: He's interviewed some of the biggest names, including Robert de Niro, which we get to talk to him about that experience and so much more so.
Speaker 2: Just he is so far beyond a movie buff. I'm not sure I have ever quoted a movie line. And I tell you how terrible I am at things, and it's all true. But I'm decent at some of the movies that I love. I can remember important funny lines from them. But I have never thrown a line at ad Nan where A he didn't know what I was talking about, or B he couldn't figure out what the next line was. He is a genius when it comes to movies and everything that goes with it. I don't know how he does it, but he's a great guest. He was on last year with us. He made us laugh so hard, and he's gonna make us laugh again tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, let's hear your team, tim A la Owen Wilson, the All Actors team.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Will Smith of course is our catcher and remember a few years ago in the World Series we had Will Smith facing Will Smith. The other Will Smith is the relief pitcher Will Smith. So, Jeff, this happened to me. I went to Braves camp several years ago, and it was the night it was the night after or the morning after Will Smith slapped somebody? Who did he slap Chris Rock? Slap Chris Rock in the face at the Oscars? Was it at the Oscars or the Emmys, ascut Oscars? You're right. So the next morning I'm in the Braves clubhouse and I'm talking to Will Smith, the relief pitcher, Will Smith. And I finished with all my work in the clubhouse and I go to do Busters podcast and his first question out of the box was what'd you think of the Will Smith situation? And I said, boy, I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I just got done talking to him. Well, he meant the slap on the face of Chris Rock, and I didn't even know about it because I didn't stay up late enough to watch the Oscars. I didn't check anything on Twitter, so I thought he talked he was talking about the left handed pitcher Will Smith of the Braves. Instead, he was talking about the actor who slapped another actor. So Will Smith is the catcher first great start to a team right there. First. Yeah, and that's the best one. All right, We're not getting any better that. It's go all downhill from here. Anthony Rizzo is the first baseman there. The actor Anthony Rizzo appeared in the movie, among others, Heartbreak Ridge, So that's good. The first player ever to hit four home runs in a Major League game is Bobby Lowe. But his nickname is I mean, his first real first name is Robert, so we're gonna call him Rob Lowe. I know it's a stretch, but that's okay. Our third baseman is Russ Johnson. He goes by Russ Johnson and Russell Johnson. So we're taking the liberty here. Played that the professor Roy Hinkley on Gilligan's Island. Okay again, Jeff, I've told you repeatedly I know three things in the world baseball, basketball, and sitcom from the sixties. So Roy Hinkley is the name of the professor on Gilligan's Island, and his real name is Russell Johnson. And by the way, Jeff, little known fact the professor who was a genius, went to four different colleges in his career. This was said on one episode of Gilligan's Island. He went to UCLA, USC, SMU, at TCU. How about that. That's incredible. Only I would remember something. That stupid shortstop is Jimmy Stewart, famous actor. G of course, Owen Wilson is our outfield one of our outfielders. Samuel Jackson played eighteen seventy one and seventy two. That's about all I know about him. But Samuel Jackson we so good, right, legend? And Eddie Murphy played for a World Series Championship team in the outfield in nineteen thirteen. The Philadelphia A's Mike Myers was a relief pitcher and a pretty good one. I see Mike every once in a while. And of course, Mike, what's your favorite Mike Myers role? Jeff, is it Austin powers By are right? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, and it's tough because he also Shrek and he was the voice of Shrek and that's one of the most legendary animated films ever.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike Myer's unbelievably talented guy. Yes. And Eddie Fisher, who was an actor back when Nn and Pop were growing up. He was also not the same guy. A relief pitcher, a pitcher for the White Sox. So that's my whole team. Will Smith, Anthony Rizzo, Bobby Lowe, Russ Johnson, Jimmy Stewart, Own Wilson, Samuel Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, and Eddie Fisher. I did that in one morning, Jeff. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I mean, you had told me that you were working on it, Dad, and you know, to me that kind of made me a little nervous because you said you did it this morning.
Speaker 2: But that was I'm actually very impressed, very impressed. I had to take some shortcuts here with Bobby Lowe and with Russ Johnson, but anytime you can get the Professor Roy Hinkley on the show, that would be good. By the way, Mary Anne Saunders, Ginger Grant, Jonas Grumby was the skipper, and Gilligan was just went by Gilligan no last name, and Thurston Howel and Lovey Howell were also on the show, of course, and the famous story there, Jeff, which I've told you before. Carol O'Connor really wanted to be the skipper on Gilligan's Island and did not get the part Alan Hale did. And then the big next, big part for Carol O'Connor was Archie Bunker, one of the great sitcom characters in the history and maybe maybe the most important sitcom character ever, given the controversial role that he played.
Speaker 1: So, Dad, there's one I want to add here, yes, please, A small role but also a Hollywood director, the aforementioned David Price Rhyme's birthday.
Speaker 2: He was on Fast Times at Ridgmond High. Very good, Jeff. I had him down here and I just thought I should have put it in there. But I saw that today in my research, I saw.
Speaker 1: Very small actor, very small role, Jeff.
Speaker 2: There are no small actors, no small roles. That's the way I always look at. Isn't that what you used to teach me when you were doing parts in high school and stuff like that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean listen, any role I played was small because all my characters were the goofy, short little guy on nicely nice to Johnson, total goofball, Right, Like, I played small characters, right, They were big roles, but small characters.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that. Okay, So that's my all actor baseball team. Ad Nan Verk joins the podcast tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Dad cannot wait for this one, and I hope everybody who's a member of the family is excited to go to Great Game or.
Speaker 2: What dot com.
Speaker 1: Dad finally has access to the website so he can respond to you directly as will I thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: As always, thanks for being a part of our family.