Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Stephen Carroll and this is Here's Why, where we take one news story and explain it in just a few minutes with our experts here at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: There's a heat wave, if you haven't noticed, gripping Western Europe and we are anticipating more dangerously hot and humid conditions. We're breaking records across the continent.
Speaker 1: It's pretty severe.
Speaker 3: I mean we're seeing temperature records falling and you know it's not even at its peep yet. This is only the second ever red heat worn in for the UK.
Speaker 4: We're seeing training cancelations and delays really across the continent here in the UK, France and the Netherlands. It's just not built, wasn't hill for these types of temperatures, and not these temperatures this.
Speaker 1: Early Western Europe has been baking in a heat wave that's pushed temperatures to dangerous levels, triggering extreme heat worn from authorities in France, Germany, the UK and elsewhere. The scorching weather has driven record demand for cooling as households and businesses rely more on air conditioning, but it's also added other strains on electricity supplies. Here's why heat waves spell trouble for power networks. Our power and renewables reporter Aiman Farhat joins us now for more, and then let's talk about the demand side first. So in northern Europe, relatively few homes have air conditioning, but it is becoming more common. How much does demand for power go up when the weather gets hotter?
Speaker 3: Hey, right, when you look at Europe, I mean, France is kind of the middle ground where when you come to the south of France than south of that Spain Italy, you do have quite a bit of a conditioning, but once you're in northern Europe you're right, which still quite limited. That being said, we're looking at France, which is really where the heat has been centered in Europe, and powder them on in the last few days is about up fifteen percent on the evening peaks compared to kind of a more normal summer week. I mean, are kind of going to do almost crazy levels of talking about forty four degrees in France, you know, reaching forty degrees in Paris. So that really is what is driving those those peaks in demand and that fifteen percent increase.
Speaker 1: So what do high temperatures do then to the power grids themselves. How resilient are networks in Europe to these kinds of heat waves.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you think about the grid itself, I mean the physical infrastructure. You have these wires connecting power you know, from your home to generation stations, you know, across borders, and when it gets too hot, those power lines start to sag, and grid operators have to think about that and think about how much power they can transport through the lines to kind of limit that happening, because that can become dangerous, that cause blackouts. So that's kind of one of the major impacts. But even more than that when it comes to, for example, on the generation side, which it kind of also fits into the grid. In France, we have all these nuclear reactors and that kind of underpins a lot of Europe's generation, especially in the evenings when the sun is not shining or at times with low wind. These nuclear reactors really are the backbone of Europe's generation. And when it gets too hot, the rivers that cool these reactors get too hot, so you have to actually turn down or turn off the reactors, and that is really what creates some stress on the system and on the grid across Europe.
Speaker 1: You mentioned renewables there as well. You think sony weather is good for solar power for example, but is this actually a good period for renewables generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every year we're having kind of record levels of solar power, but it always happens more in April and May. This is kind of the peak solar period. You'd think it would be during the summer, but actually solar panels are slightly less efficient at high temperatures, so it's actually more around when it's about twenty twenty two degrees that they solar powers are at their maximum efficiency. Obviously, we've had very sunny weather, so during the midday peaks, so between maybe ten to three pm, you have very good solar generation. But actually right now in the last kind of week, we've also had very very low wind levels. We're talking about maybe six month lows across some countries, and that means that you know, renewable generation total is actually down, and so gas new careactors and sometimes even coal have to come in and fill the gap.
Speaker 1: Can the grids cope with a surge in power generation? I'm thinking about what led to the major blackout in Spain and Portugal last year. Part of that was blamed on the unstability that coming from renewables. Can grids actually adapt to having this big change and energy mix.
Speaker 3: When it comes to that that issue in Spain and in any grid, you know, whether if you have a surgeon generation or a dropping generation, that can cause issues for the grid stability I mean right now. Actually a very interesting dynamic which you haven't discussed, is actually the World Cup as well. You know, we're having spikes and power demand when people at halftime and at full time and everyone gets up, puts their cattle up, opens their fridge, and that can cause you know, a very sharp increase in a very short period of time, which is exactly what renewables also do. You know, you can have a very sharp increase or decrease in generation as it's weather driven. Grid are definitely becoming more resilient. Spain was a big example of where that residency wasn't there, and now European countries are definitely investing a lot in the last year to make sure that isn't repeated this summer.
Speaker 1: What does all of this mean for prices, because that's an important factor too.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting when you look at the power prices. You know, we follow it on many different contracts. The day ahead is basically the kind of the daily power price, and the power price for today actually went in France to its highest level is twenty twenty two, so it's not even been this high since you know, the peak of the energy crisis due to the rush of Ukraine War, you know, when gas supplies were limited into Europe. So it just shows how this kind of these hottest summers, this hot weather, definitely driven in some ways by climate change, is creating extreme stress on prices and this doill trickle down to businesses, to households. You know, we're already seeing that this month so far prices are up compared to last year, when the juctory that we should be having in Europe is a decrease in prices as renewables increase. That's what all governments want, that's what will give economic growth. But actually that the heat in some times of the year can cause US prices to increase.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're told that we'll need to expect more of these kind of heat waves in Europe. What does all of this mean for energy providers in the future, How will they plan to cope with events like this that are expected to become more regular.
Speaker 3: It's difficult because when we talk about these types of heat waves and these extreme weather events, they are supposed to happen once every five years, ten years. They seem to be happening once every year or maybe other year. So it's definit becoming more important for you know, energy providers to become resilient, whether it be you know, for double edf building new ways of cooling their reactors, whether it be you know, building up good infrastructure to be more resilient to temperature. But right now, I think in the kind of short term it just shows the importance of just having a kind of a flexible system, different type of generation, not relying too much on solar, on wind, on nuclear, because at any moment the sun the heat can actually affect those quite significantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed, it's very interesting to see how providers are going to adapt to these changing patterns in our climate. AIM and thank you very much for joining us. AIM and Firehat there are Power and Renewables Reporter. For more explanations like this from our team of three thousands journalists and analysts around the world, go to Bloomberg dot com slash Explainers. I'm Stephen Carroll. This is here's why. I'll be back next week with more. Thanks for listening.