Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking clips about.
Speaker 3: A wide Olphen touchdown, Tyreck cal unfelievable, just blue.
Speaker 4: Fire for a second time. Don't know where he was going right away. I want to hit that man. I'm going to help you. Someone step on his man.
Speaker 5: Away Wattle, Wattle to a shotgun, back to throw, looking at them up Myers touchdown.
Speaker 2: It's Waddle his sixth touchdown.
Speaker 6: Pat's team.
Speaker 7: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now check your pulse if you're not.
Speaker 4: What is up?
Speaker 5: Dolphins?
Speaker 3: And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I'm Travis Wingfield and on today's show, the first joint practices of camp are in the books. Will get you caught up on Dolphins Falcons Take two. We'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel, quarterback to a tongue Bai looa on the week of work, plus more camp evaluation discussions and a heck of a lot more from Bradley Chubb, Elijah Higgins Javon Holland and more, more and more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 5: This is the Drift.
Speaker 3: Time podcast, Hey Gaffe, same setup today, Defense far field, offense near field, and we moved inside at the end of practice. And let me tell you how appreciated that was. With the weather being what it was. It's very very hot, I hear right now. Red zone work once again got to go inside to allow for utilizing both ends of the field, and the offense in that period was right underneath us on the platform. Defense on the other side of the field, So again a better view of offense all day long.
Speaker 5: We'll break it.
Speaker 3: Down position by a position best we can once again, but full transparency. It is difficult to get detailed notes on that far field. So really I mostly have splash plays, not going to have any technique or certain you know, innocuous type of plays that I usually like to put on the podcast. Here, especially with the offense happening simultaneously right in front of you, it tends to catch your eye and it did for me here once again. But generally speaking, I thought it was a similar day for the offense. Inconsistent some good splash plays, good execution down in the red zone, but by and large, probably not the finished product that you're ultimately looking for. Luckily, it's August ninth, and it means how much, well, absolutely nothing. Both coach and Tua talked about the progression of camp and the purpose of these days and the ultimate evaluation not coming down to a specific day, but rather the entire body of work.
Speaker 2: If the goal is you know, average, then I was super pumped.
Speaker 7: The I really like joint practices for the sake of I want everyone's best effort. The tricky thing about it is, and as I've learned over the course of my career, you know, so what what if the offense had the greatest practice in the history of all practices.
Speaker 4: Or.
Speaker 7: Or the opposite happens, it's the worst practice. What does that mean for today? And that's kind of my point is there there was stuff that irritated me, there's stuff that pumped me up. We did physically strain through through some heat against a new opponent. The main focus to me is was that practice purposeful? How do you make it purposeful? Your approach today and it's not the same mistakes you know that we have procedural penalties.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping to not have any today.
Speaker 7: If we have some, as long as it's not the guys that did it the day before, I can work with that. It's when yesterday was a waste, then then it's a bigger issue.
Speaker 2: So you know, I was I was happy that we.
Speaker 7: Worked, you know, for where we're trying to go. I shouldn't be really happy with any practice in terms of the Okay, we're good. It's not like that. You know, last year we Philly is a great example. We practiced against Philly and that was the first time offensively that I think that we felt all eleven people executing simultaneously. And you know, no one scores a practice. But if you guys were to say, hey, they won that day, it wouldn't sound crazy.
Speaker 2: The Eagles went to the super Bowl. We did not.
Speaker 7: But that was a very important practice for us because it was the first time that we clicked, I thought, and that it led into the first drive of the preseason game. So yesterday, I like the fact that guys were straining and very annoyed at the result.
Speaker 2: That means we're in good spot.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna just keep going for the next half an hour, and so anyway about it, today's practice is more important than last.
Speaker 3: I was curious about this because through the first you know, eight practices, Toua hadn't thrown a pick in team period eleven to one eleven. We've now seen four in the last three practices. So I asked him, is it beneficial to have some negative plays on tape to give you a chance to really correct it and visualize what.
Speaker 5: Not to do in those instances. Here's QB one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you have a lot to correct when you have more negatives than you do positive. Obviously you want to have more positive. But it's good when you have a joint practice. For us in the quarterback room, looking at it from the outside end, we didn't have a gauge on what they were going to be running or what to expect. We had one day under our belt, and so the second day we did come out, you know, there were things that we wanted to try. You know, so when you do go into the game, should you try it again? Like should you not try it? That's you know, your discretion. So I think it's it's good because you learn so much from those things. But outside of that, you know, you just continue to keep moving forward with it, keep playing.
Speaker 3: And I really think that that answer right there gives you the context you need. There's no studying for a practice opponent. If your script that you've generated without any thought about how the defense might play you is matched by what they want to work on, then it just is what it is like. If they have the game plan to takeaway what you're gonna do, It's gonna be a rough day from a practice standpoint, but it gives you the exact look against that look that might run into in the season to go back on and study and prepare and be better for it. It goes back to what I talked about with past rushers and double teams. You don't see protection scheming in practice, so we're never going to see, for instance, Jalen Phillips face a double team.
Speaker 5: It just doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to coach here on this because I think he has a little more detail about just that and how you balance the idea of running your stuff and keeping stuff close to the vest in terms of showing your cards on the offense.
Speaker 5: Here's Coach.
Speaker 2: It's something that you have to kind of be forward thinking.
Speaker 7: I'm very aware when we have fan days of technology. I'm very aware of stadium practices. I'm very aware of joint practices. There's a balance and for me, I'm less secretive then I think I would have thought it would have been early in my career, just because.
Speaker 2: You know, they if the if the.
Speaker 7: Offense is constructed the right way, everything has a counter to it. So at this point we have to get good at stuff. I probably hide less, but there's definitely stuff that that you don't you don't want to put on tape, especially if you're Iron iron the kinks out of it. So it's a fun balance. But for the most part, we're just trying to create situate, create situations that are competitive within offense that we do do so that with the idea being you get to evaluate guys and guys are put in difficult positions like a game or hopefully more difficult positions.
Speaker 3: It's pretty fitting to me that they did not get response work to the stuff we saw the Chargers do last year, and what I mean by that is the stuff we talked about in the podcast earlier, with the the solutions to the issues you might face with taking away the bread and butter, that middle of the field passing game, the timing rhythm offense that Tua and Tyreek and Jalen were so sharp with. And again to reiterate this point, we really haven't gotten much of Tua, Tyreek and Wattle together. We certainly haven't gotten those guys with t set on the offensive line. So you still have not gotten the Dolphins full compliment. And I don't want to use that as some like prevailing excuse, because there's gonna be times in the season when you don't have all those guys and you know, good players elevate, you know, all all boats or all tides or something like that gold jacket, green jacket, and we just haven't seen that yet in the practice field, at least not for more than a couple of snaps. So I think it's important to get that context out there. And with regards to the you know, what the Chargers did to the Dolphins offense last year was the best game plan against Miami, and it forced them to do some other things, and they didn't hit the splash play opportunities that were there for them, like the deep ball to Tyreek that he lost in the lights or whatever that was. And so while the Dolphins did push the ball to the perimeter, I don't think they executed it well enough.
Speaker 5: They can they can do.
Speaker 3: That with their answer, but they have to be sharper than they were today. They got some, but I think it will only serve to make them better because now they can wrap it more and have immediate solutions of the things that gave them issues in a practice that caused you know, last year in season games and a two week drop off in production. Because again remember it was just those two games and then one quarter in the Green Bay game.
Speaker 5: So I think it's all going to be beneficial in the long run.
Speaker 3: I just keep thinking about the Eagles joint practice comment when things kind of click for this offense. You know, all eleven guys working together on the same page, and it's you know, yeah, it is year two, but you have to go through the same building block. You don't just start back at a certain level of you know, we're at level five compared to level one, like you can be more advanced, but you have to.
Speaker 5: Go through those paces to begin with.
Speaker 3: Because I also remember the Bucks practices when it was touchdown city in the red zone and in general, just a really good two days of work up in Tampa Bay. So what does it all mean. Well, like coach mentioned, it's about what's next. You might recall after a really strong camp last year, the offense had a very luggage start against the Patriots, just scored twenty points against a Patriots team that you know wasn't great last year, only scored seven in the first half against Baltimore, and then had the best performance by a quarterback in team history since Dan Reno was here. So it clicked, you know, third quarter or fourth quarter of that game. So in the end, it's about what's next. I guess that's the point here. I don't know, I get it. I used to really let these reports affect me, you know, the practice reports swayed my thoughts about the team and maybe even affect the whole day in terms of, oh Ryan Tannel had a bad day of practice. I'm sad now, But also in hindsight, I should have known the reports I was reading and taken the context with those with a grain of salt. But now I think I feel like I have better up understanding of the journey and what they're really trying to take from these practices, opposed to just saying, like pick.
Speaker 5: Bad Travis sad. That's funny. It made me laugh.
Speaker 3: Speaking of last year, I wanted to ask too about the comment that coach has made a few times now in practice or I should say, his pre practice media availabilities about the journey. And by the way, when you get like NFL films, like your book story next year is totally going to be the Dolphins. Something about the journey, just based on the words we're hearing this year, but about how things click at different points for different guys. Do you remember a specific time to where things clicked for you last year?
Speaker 5: Here's the Dolphins quarterback.
Speaker 6: Not too sure when when I felt a click or when it was, but I was really dialed in on just trying to figure out the like how the offense was ran, how Mike wants the offense ran, who Mike is as a play caller.
Speaker 2: I was just dialed in.
Speaker 6: On all of that and not not worrying much about how my play was. I just felt as if if I go through you know how Mike would would expect us to go through progressions, go through reads, and we should be fine. Just find a completion wherever it may be and get the guys going.
Speaker 5: And for posterity.
Speaker 3: Coach also touched on that when he was asked this morning about Mike White.
Speaker 7: Here's coach, He's he's had a really cool couple of weeks just getting used to everything. Uh, the quarterback position, you're in charge with the ball every play and you have to tell everyone their assignment. So that's there's a lot that goes into that, which is one of the numerous reasons that I reserve judgment because I'm, you know, such a level minded, you know, adult, mature guy, and uh, well with him, you know, his his personality off the bat, he exuded quarterback confidence and and and really developed relationships with his teammates. And you've seen a steady progression of more and more plays and more and more confidence to operate within the timing of our specific offense.
Speaker 2: So he's doing a good job.
Speaker 7: As it relates to the preseason game, there's still a hearty practice today and again, uh, I'd like to let the players determine things.
Speaker 2: On the field. Whoever does play.
Speaker 7: Before the other player in the preseason game from the quarterback position, that won't suggest that that person.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be to his backup.
Speaker 7: It will be based upon the reps opportunities, what we think is best for the guys, and then in true competition form, it will probably flop the next week.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about those quarterbacks here to kick off the practice notes. I thought Tua was pretty damn precise in the red zone seven on seven session. I thought there were a few really nice throws sprinkled in, including one where I loved his footwork under duress to get off the spot and put himself in position to kind of spring load his step that takes him out of the pocket, and he kind of, you know, springs out of that position into a free space, you know, away from the rush, attack the lion scrimmage and throw the ball outside to Robbie Chosen with a defender closing over the top and a defender getting depth from underneath to kind of shrink that window, and Tua just layers this ball into a perfect spot and Robbie Chosen has it just beyond the outstretched arm of the defender, but he couldn't hang on for the catch. The red zone seven on seven period was a good example of some quality placement, including another shot to Chosen to really settle him down into a soft spot for a touchdown. And protect him from a collision if it were live, of course, but I also thought there were some not so good, especially the final sequence in two minute when it was incomplete, a well contested throw to akhmb a ball to the perimeter to Braxton Burials that he left way too far inside to give the dB a play on the football and it was a far hash throw. And look, he made the exact same throw to Wada last year when Denzel war was in coverage, like a perfect ball. He just missed on this one and it wasn't picked but it was broken up.
Speaker 8: Whop.
Speaker 5: Sorry about that.
Speaker 3: Also had a pick to Jalen Hawkins who was camped in the middle of the field, and Tua tried to throw one of his quick anticipation throws where I thought like, oh, he sees something, but the safety was right there the whole time and didn't move.
Speaker 5: It was a bad pick. Just call it what it was.
Speaker 3: I thought Mike White was pretty good today. He had a nice rip in that same seven on seven red zone period where he put the ball into a tight window for six. You can see it on our Twitter account in Miami Dolphins. He also had three of the four consecutive touchdowns in the indoor red zone period. Now two of those, one from Mike White one from Skyler were complete buffs with Tyreek Hill and Julian Hill left.
Speaker 5: All alone, like literally all alone.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure the dbs were doing, but they both took off to the wrong side of the field and left receivers wide open. The other was a good throw to Higgins, allowing for him to angle towards the front pylon, and the ball placement helped him make the transition from route runner to ball carrier. Love the way Higgins got into that transition and beat the defender for six to the spot. Skyler made the best throw I've seen from him all camp, and not just by like his own standard, by any quarterback standard a pier dot. There were six seconds left in a two minute drill. He had four consecutive completions to put them at the forty or so yard line, three of those to Chris Coleman, who I think had one of those NBA jam He's on moments because he came off the pile or after the catch one time like screaming at the defense talking about like you know who I am. Now back to the throw, Skyler gets off his spot and attacks the line of scrimmage, fires a strike into the end zone. With two Falcon defenders converging, it splits them and finds a diving devon a chain for a long touchdown. The entire team ran down and celebrity with a rookie. Very cool to see, maybe the playoff camp so far, and a good way to conclude a strong period after a day where, look, this Falcons defense has been rebuilt. I think they might be pretty damn good. Like my takeaway from these two days. I know who the Dolphins are, I know what they're going to be this year, but I think this team could compete for the NFC South Crown with that division being what it is and a strong defense and running game. Before to take our last break, let's go ahead and hear from Tua who touched on the other two quarterbacks, Mike White and Skyler Thompson.
Speaker 2: I see a lot.
Speaker 6: I got the most respect for both of those guys. This is going to be the second year that Skyler's in the room with me. I mean, I know Skyler, we have a lot of animated conversations about football and then just getting to know Mike White as well. Mike White's very smart, you know, in the quarterback room, he has a lot of uh, he has a lot to say as far as input as well. So it's really good to have both of them in there.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and take the first break there. Deep into the podcast. We'll come back on the other side and get my chat with Elijah Higgins Puss. We'll hear from Bradley Chubb and Javon holland all that next in the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 5: Brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 3: So a football game on Friday night, but the joint practices are commonplace across the league.
Speaker 5: What's the benefit of those. Let's go ahead and hear from QB one on just that.
Speaker 6: I think the one thing that's really cool about joint practices is it almost simulates game like situations where you have first down, second down, third downs, we had red downs, we have two minute situations. I think the cool thing about it is that you know everyone's getting their adrenaline going and you you never know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You know, you get a fight out there.
Speaker 6: Like the biggest thing for us is we're trying to move on to the next play and like try to try to get back, try to get back on track as like fast as possible, So like not letting the last play dictate how we play the next play and how we're gonna move forward as an offense like for the following play. So I think that's that's what makes these joint practices good, is that it simulates game like situations and game like feelings before you actually go and you know, go out there and compete in actual games.
Speaker 3: All right, enough quarterback talk. I mentioned the play by a chain. Just about every day we get something from him like that. He is so much fun to watch. And uh yeah, don't let people tell you to not get excited about rookies, because this rookie looks pretty damn good to me. I thought savonn was excellent today.
Speaker 5: I love Savon Awkmen's game.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: He had a bunch of catches in the passing game, had a really nice lateral cut you know, takeoff or a chunk gain in elevens, then had a beautiful touchdown run down the low red zone that kirom my me the Buffalo Bills run last year where he you know, wiggled around the block and did some moves and powers his way into the end zone and did a little dance for us. I had a great view of that made the unblocked man miss the point like schemed up unblocked man, which you know when you're running back can do that. It really benefits the offense in general. And it's not like tag off where he you know, he tagged off and that was a mistackle.
Speaker 5: He made the guy with completely picks up.
Speaker 3: A block from Isaiah Win and slices his way into the end zone and does that dance. We had two guys exit practice today. They looked okay to me, but I don't know, you know anything medically. Alec Ingold and Jalen Waddle both walked off on their own. More on both of those guys later, but Waddle looked like he fell on the football, was down for a moment, but then popped back up and walked off. And then alec Ingold walked off on his own and didn't even be accompanied by a trainer.
Speaker 5: He just walked off into the building by himself.
Speaker 3: So we'll find out more about those guys, probably from I guess McDaniel post game. I don't know when they last him that next I thought Chosen had a really good day today, including a catch and run where he worked his way around some blocks on a screen and like picked his way through and got in.
Speaker 5: I didn't know he had the type of shiftiness in open space.
Speaker 3: So if he compare that with a long speed and he's really come on here, I think things have clicked for Chosen here after I've been kind of hard on him on the podcast. He also got opened a lot in the earlier red zone period, had some catches in the full field period as well. He's been He's making a case to push his way at the depth chart. I think Tyreek did a backflip after scoring a touchdown. He also dunk one over the goalpost. I mentioned Chris Coleman having a nice day and saying with Elijah Higgins moving me to the tight end position. Now, in fact, let's go ahead and play my chat I had with Dolphins tight end Elijah Higgins, a one on one here with the Miami rookie tight end. So I wanted to ask you because, like I mean, from my naked eye, it seems like your growth as a blocker has really come.
Speaker 5: A long way from day one. How would you just cratchrow that way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I feel like I'm getting to a place where things are really starting to click slowly, and I'm like, Okay, I'm actually kind of understanding this a little bit more, whereas early on it was just like I don't even know what I'm looking at, just because I've never been in tier before. So i'd definitely say like it's just becoming a little more like not necessarily natural yet, but to the point where it's starting to click and I'm feeling it clicked a little bit better, just understanding what the front is, understanding what my job is, understanding the run concept, and where the ball is trying to get inside outside of me. So a lot of it's really starting to click for me, just the more I go back and review film and review the installs and whatnot. So it's coming together.
Speaker 5: All the motion and split full.
Speaker 3: This offense does seems like it kind of gives you at advantageous situation with angles.
Speaker 5: You kind of feel that same way from the time.
Speaker 8: Of position man, Like I said, it's still with piecing it together. So I mean, the first step is obviously like learning what the what the motion was in the first place, and now it's like learning Okay, how does this motion piece into what I'm trying to do or trying to accomplish. So, like I said, it's just kind of puzzle piecing together as I learned more and more and as I get coached up, So.
Speaker 3: All the routes from that inline position still pretty natural in terms of just you know, coming off with football, do you feel yourself kind of.
Speaker 8: Hat on the think first before you Yeah, I mean it's different just because you have I mean, if you have a nine tech or six step trying to release, if you're in three point stance. I'm still getting comfortable coming out of three point stands, something I haven't done much of, but often there's a lot of times where I'm mean, either are a two point stance or a true receiver stance on third downs or whatnot. So like I said, it's coming together, and I'm just I'm just proud of my growth so far, and uh happy that I have somebody like coaching bo who's really pushing me every single day, like is always honest about stuff.
Speaker 4: So I'm happy for that.
Speaker 8: Tanner had mentioned something that you mentioned as well, that you know, when you're lining up in line.
Speaker 4: Everything you're looking at is completely different figure that wide receiver. What are you maybe looking at free snap? Your in line or maybe fle whatever? What are you what are you looking at free snap?
Speaker 8: Yeah, receiver, You're really just looking at the show, to be honest, trying to get an idea with the coverages. And then when you're in line, you're looking at the end the sam the mic, looking at those your little triangle there. So it's just things I never looked at before and just starting to slowly understand and get to click together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: It's just so with UH, with Durham kind of being the old head in the room, how is it kind of taking you under wing and that mentor.
Speaker 8: Yeah, No, they've been very open to UH to helping us like if we ever have a question, like we ever need some help. We as younger guys, definitely feel like that help is there. Obviously taking upon ourselves to answer our own questions where we can, like with him solves and stuff. But I mean, all the guys in the room very helpful. A lot of the guys TK has played for a while. I think TK is like thirty one, so he's been the league for a while. Obviously, Obviously no I think he literally is like thirty or thirty one, Oh, okay, and then obviously Durham this is I think it's sixty seventh year, so a lot of knowledge there and guys that have actually played the position not only in the league but for a long time.
Speaker 4: And obviously it's brand new to me.
Speaker 8: So just using all the help that I can get has been it's been very helpful for sure.
Speaker 5: Coach earlier, how would you describe his coaches?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's on you, uh, and sometimes you feel like it's kind of attacking. But the more I get to no one understand coaching, but he really just wants you to grow. He really just wants you to understand like what he wants and why he wants that. Everything that he says really does help. And it's really just understanding what he wants on how he's coaching. And then when we're in the uh, we're in the film room, he really breaks it down to the point where you can really understand what's going on. But I mean, simply put, like one of the best coaches I've ever had, to be honest, the way he pushes us what he expects from us, even being the young guy like It's definitely very helpful for the growth that I'm going through right now in this process.
Speaker 5: Just wanted to curious how you feel his two days as an overall offense weren't for you guys in terms of the growth he showed. It's just the overall competitives. How do you feel the two days?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean the first day, I feel like we came out a little a little rough. There was some rough edges. But today I feel like we kind of piece up together a lot more. Obviously, as a rookie, you don't really know like what to expect what it looks like as your first year in the league. But today I felt like we really did a decent job and put things together while we were supposed.
Speaker 3: To, likecross stream play your first.
Speaker 8: I'm excited, man, I'm very excited. Yeah, I'm excited. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: That's a stand alert. Travis has a new player.
Speaker 3: He's gonna stand I love Elijah Higgins game, and I think he's a fairy good player. I think the way he communicates and just the way his mind works, very bright young man. I think the offensive line had some real vigor to it today and it began with Rob Hunt, who still made it a Falcons pass rusher. I didn't see the number on the guy. It's so hard to evaluate two teams in practice when you don't know numbers. Like you can talk about units, but individuals like I am so quick with Dolphin stuff because I know everyone's number, But for the Falcons man, it's tough to get that down. But he tried to extend this rep where it was over and Rob was like, no, I'm good Man and chucked him and threw him to the ground.
Speaker 5: That was cool to see.
Speaker 3: Fans got excited about that, but it starts with t stead Man. He was exceptional and limited team work he had. I saw him seal a lane on a good run from a chain a la chain an a chain lane.
Speaker 5: That's cool.
Speaker 3: I saw him throw a snatch and trap, which is where you kind of you if they try a bowl rush, you get distance and then you snatch him by the jersey and throw them to the ground. Did that very effectively. I saw all I needed to see from the big fella. He's ready to go. Man, still our player and looking forward to having him week one over to the defense again.
Speaker 5: It's not easy to see at all.
Speaker 3: Man but the general takeaway on the defensive side was I thought they got after it. Let's go ahead and hear from Bradley Chubb who talked a little bit about the front seven of the camp they've had so far.
Speaker 4: I'm excited about this front seven.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 9: We got a lot of great talent, man, a lot of good guys that's playing for each other.
Speaker 4: And playing together, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: And I feel like last year kind of we didn't when me coming in late, we didn't jail, and we got a whole off season at jail and understand each other, how each other, rush, hire each other, play off each other and stuff like that. So, like I said yesterday, with the first seven, I feel like we did okay, you know what I mean. But we had to respond today and I feel like we did that. And it's gonna be fun just to see us keep building and keep building, face that adversity and build off that, build off that, and build off that. So, like I said, enjoying the process that comes with it and just taking it day by day, taking.
Speaker 5: It day by day. I just might get some clay.
Speaker 3: I just may My favorite part was the Falcons ones versus our ones in a two minute period where Desmon Rider completed a pass to mac Hollins for like fifteen yards. They get up on the ball and they snap it and Jail and Phillips condenses inside and steam rolls the center. This guy can brush the edge and you can steam roll the center just runs him into the quarterback and Rider steps up right into him, and Phillips kind of just like wrapped him up because Rider came into him, and Phillips said, like all right, wrapover sack and then came off the pile and was fired up. Then they went quick again and Chubb this time beats Jake Matthews off the edge, who never gave an inch all day. Matthews is a great player, but he gets beat by Chubb on this play and tripped him. Flag comes out back him up was the fifteen yards and then they threw a check down end of drive.
Speaker 5: So those are your closers man, Chubb and Phillips.
Speaker 3: I also asked Chub about the idea of playing that closer role as a pass rusher.
Speaker 4: Here he is timilar mentality.
Speaker 9: Man, We're just trying to get out to make sure that big dogs, like I said, I got to eat.
Speaker 4: When to close the game out.
Speaker 9: Everybody on the team's looking at us to do that, and they might not say that out loud, but that's how we take it.
Speaker 4: That's how we.
Speaker 9: Wear it on our shoulders, and we make sure that we lived to that standard every day.
Speaker 3: This is a quick aside, but I thought it was worth playing because I talk about it all the time, and since I had him from medi Availabilities, just wanted to ask Bradly about the emphasis of set in the edge in the running game.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: We just want to be disruptive as possible. We call ourselves the big dogs, so big dogs gotta eat. Man said to edge, you gotta earn your way to the quarterback, and I feel like setting the edge and stopping the run is the first way to do that. So we got to make sure that we do that each and every play. And when it comes down to rush, we know that's what I'm saying, that's our strong suit. So we just got to make sure we maximize the best viabilities.
Speaker 3: Also on the front, Steiler has been really good these two days. Handful of plays and it's been three phase like sacks, run, stuff's battered balls.
Speaker 5: It's a really good player, man.
Speaker 3: Mitchelle a Goode had a would be sack on Logan Woodside. I saw Van Ginkel have a few plays against the run in this practice as well. He and Malik Reid had a really good fit combo where b John Robinson tried to dissect and pick a gap and it just wasn't there for him because forty three and forty seven were both there at the same time.
Speaker 5: So good work from the front seven.
Speaker 3: Again, We've got dbs to go, including audio from Javon Holland. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation. Let's kick off the final segment here with some back and forth with Javon Holland, who talked about his relationship with Vic Fangio, how excited he is to have a guy like that here in the building, and then how he measures the defense's progress in these joint practices.
Speaker 5: Three straight answers here from Dolphin safety Javon Holly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's going well, man.
Speaker 1: I just I'm trying to get every ounce of knowledge out of him. You know, he's a individual with a big well of knowledge and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Speaker 4: Honestly, how he.
Speaker 1: Sees the game, you know what things did improve? H He's very level headed, whether it's a good day, bad day, but not he's always level headed. So as a leader, I'm trying to really you know, learn from him because a lot of guys follow him easily. It's not hard to buy into his program to start process because he is a hell of a coach and he's got a hell of a mindset. So it's a it's a great experience for me. Yeah, absolutely, absolutely. Any time somebody that knows ball to that level is like around you, you just want to ask as many questions as possible, always asking him, like what he's thinking in between periods, like what he sees.
Speaker 4: I can improve.
Speaker 1: Like I said, like, I'm trying to bring as much.
Speaker 4: Knowledge out of that child as possible.
Speaker 1: So, uh, you know, it's a it's a great opportunity for me. I think you have to play take it rep by rep just you know, execution wise.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: A lot of times things get you know, competitive, and you know, temperatures rise and guys trying to make a play you get out of you know, out of placement.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think today was good. I think it was a good learning experience for us. I think, you know, both days was good for us. Uh.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, playing ball at a high level against your own team is one thing, but playing against somebody else, uh, you know, adds that level of competitiveness that makes people really like, you know, puts more feeling in your tank. And I think that's what you know, the joint practice I have done for us, and so as a defense, it's good to get that, you know, that type of energy, you know, feel how it feels to hit somebody else, and so that's you know, that's kind that's basically my thought process on that.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the safeties, one had to pick six in today's practice. Rookie Kedrin Smith on the far field really did a good job key in the quarterback and driving on a short throw, picking it off and taking it back for a six. A really impressive play for rookie who I thinks had a pretty strong camp so far. And the dbs were playmakers really all day today. Noah iguinoghany Oh the no what train is off and running once again. He had a wrap that I think really exemplified the growth he's made this training camp. It's a two minute period they throw an end breaker that he drives on and is right there to disrupt the catch point and legit thought he was gonna pick it off.
Speaker 5: But the quarterback, whether it.
Speaker 3: Was intentional or not, put the ball on the back shoulder of the receiver of the back hip, and the receiver makes the catch, but Noah stays right with it and rips the ball out and the officials ruled it a fumble. Veron mckimley comes in there and picks up and takes it back for six. And that's two touchdowns in two days from McKinley. But Igunogny's feel is just so much better, and that's it, really. He just looks way more comfortable. He's making plays. He's in the right spot, he's not covering grass, he's pinning guys at the perimeter when he has a chance to had a really good rep on Kyle Pitts and red zone work today that I tweeted about that folks were pretty excited about. Elijah Campbell had another pass breakup. X did two and Cater never gets targeted anymore. It must be a good sign for him. He's been excellent so far this camp. Oh yeah, special team's note. First one of all training camp I think so far, I'll give you two. Actually, Jake Bailey's punting the ball pretty damn well. He already won the punting job obviously, Jake Bailey, Dan Feenivon akmed block to punt as well, or he would have if you didn't pull up at the last second.
Speaker 5: So there you go. Those are your practice notes of a podcast coming away tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Mike Kunio is gonna be my guest from CBS Miami. We'll do my ten camp takeaway so far and a bunch more for you guys there. Then have a game recap on Saturday morning. After the late night Friday night game, check out me, Seth and Juice in the postgame show iHeartRadio. We go on the air right after the game concludes two hours with you guys talking you through the first Dolphins game of twenty twenty three until next time though.
Speaker 5: That's gonna be my time you all.
Speaker 3: Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcast.
Speaker 5: Leave us a rating, leave us a review.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on Twitter and Instagram at Winkelin NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out that Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out our YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today, draft time, and fish tank content, so much more. At last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com until next time. Finns Up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy, He's coming. Hold