Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's Rut, Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the Whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts, Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Refresh Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Casey Smith. Boys and girls, it is here. It is happening.
Speaker 4: Today is the day.
Speaker 5: We've heard debates, We've heard all kinds of stuff leading up to this misinformation.
Speaker 4: But guess what.
Speaker 2: It's here, the rut.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Refresh Radio, Rocky by First Light.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 4: I'm your host, Casey Smith.
Speaker 5: Tyler Jones, the Hunting Master himself is here with me as well.
Speaker 4: Guys, the Hunting Master, that's you. Thhm t J.
Speaker 5: I don't know if there's any way to hide it at this point, Collar, I've been wanting to get this.
Speaker 4: Out for a while. I'm so excited that you can't hide it.
Speaker 1: The is here.
Speaker 4: It's actually here.
Speaker 2: It's that's right, unless you're a big old bucket.
Speaker 8: The yell.
Speaker 4: The boys are.
Speaker 2: Running around on the cranes plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, guys, I think we should just hope you up because.
Speaker 4: That's what you need right now.
Speaker 5: This is going to come out the day after election day, and no matter what the result is, you need to be hunting.
Speaker 4: That's all I need to say on that. I thought you were going a different direction with that. What'd you think I was going? No matter what the result, Jesus is king.
Speaker 2: That's true. Brother, that is true.
Speaker 5: And within the scope of that, you should hunt and go out and enjoy the creation.
Speaker 8: You go, you go.
Speaker 5: So November sixth, remember seventh, Remember eight, we're not remember ten? Number eleventh, November twelfth, I think is what this rough fresh covers and those are all I mean, I mean better from Michigan like Mark.
Speaker 4: It might be over by the eighth, you know, sure.
Speaker 5: But I want you all to know that the Element boys are going to give you a special ret fresh.
Speaker 2: Update right now.
Speaker 5: Let's go, dude, between our crew, we've killed five deer in the last week, five.
Speaker 4: Bucks in the last six days. Six days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and every single one of them.
Speaker 2: Get this.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you've realized this yet or not.
Speaker 5: Taller was called INT's called him with the rattling antlers, in particular.
Speaker 4: Getting we're giving them all the great information. I mean, people gonna be rattling all over the country. It's the thing, man, It's uh. I don't think we discovered this week.
Speaker 5: I don't know if. Yeah, I mean Texas did for sure, so we could say.
Speaker 4: Week Texas is the birthplace of like managing deer guarantee you that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Quality deer management started in Texas, but either way, it moved.
Speaker 4: And no longer exists.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: That just tells you a lot.
Speaker 2: That's that's right, man.
Speaker 5: I think that there's a deeper science to rattling that I'm interested in learning about throughout my life. But I will say that from October thirty till about right now, it would seem it works really really really well, and it very well might work good after that, but there's probably something going on with the way the deer are acting.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 5: I think that in that seeking phase, which seems like there's kind of two of those, right for a for a standard rut, that's when that really works well. And you said that somebody, maybe it was you, somebody told you that, maybe it's Greg. I don't know, but they thought that it's when a new buck enters in area and they have to kind of rework out the pecking order that they all worked out in the summer. Is that you talk about that. I don't think that was a mean I thought it was a neat hypothesis where it's not that these bucks have been buddies all summer and then all of a sudden they're gonna fight. It's that there's a new buck in town because he's out roaming seeking doze and he enters another buck's core area, and then they have to work out the thing that most of the other bucks worked out in the summer, which makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: For the moose buck that I killed in Kansas last year, we.
Speaker 5: Had didn't have him on camera all summer long, all fall, and all of a sudden I show up in Glass one day and he's fighting one of our one hundred and fifty inch eight points to the death pretty much down in the bottom and it's it's November fifteenth, and he lost and died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't die from that though.
Speaker 4: I should go ahead and tell you.
Speaker 5: We'll put a link to this below, but my hunt for that dear is on the Element channel, and it is it's like one of my most favorite thing we've ever put together. I love it so much, so I'd appreciate it if you'd go watch it.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 5: It's just a blessing to be a part of, you know, much less be the one that gets to shoot in that thing.
Speaker 4: Think, man, you and Brandon never gonna do anything better. That's right, Casey, he's got a buddy. It shot a really big deal this year, and they were talking about it and like, yep, I guess that's the biggest one I'll ever shoot in. Case He was like thinking about oh, and then he's like, yeah, yeah, probably, I see.
Speaker 2: What's great is you and I haven't peaked yet.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, you know, I'm waiting on it. It's coming. Wait, no, it's going to be soon.
Speaker 5: So I guess this has just been a big hot fist guys. I mean, it's time to be hop If you know, maybe we were talking about this last week. I can't remember, but if it's game day and you're you're a football player and you get too hope around noon, but the games at six pm, you're gonna have a fallout. Well, right now, it's like the end of halftime and it's time to rock in.
Speaker 4: And we've been telling y'all, so hopefully you listen. Yes, but don't you know, I don't get too hot yet. Don't go into the woods just shit, I mean, go in the woods, but don't go into your best spot. Don't worry. It's not the rud if you need to take time off. So wait, wait till these dates. And these are the dates.
Speaker 5: These are the PTO dates, these are the vacation dates, and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: It's time to go, Tyler.
Speaker 2: This is unprecedented, but I'm going to have.
Speaker 5: You give a overall score one to ten buck movement around the country, around the country.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, that's tough because we've been talking to of course, we've got buddies in the south and people back home, and apparently it's still warm. Even though we hadn't been there in a while, it's still still pretty warm. Overall. We had a really hot October overall, and I would say that that is going to counteract what we've been experiencing. So, I mean, it was probably I would not be surprised if it was twenty where I sat this morning. It was twenty three when I parked my truck and I went downhill towards the river. So twenty degrees right versus whatever it is down in Texas.
Speaker 5: So if we say, let's give two ratings north of I forty in south of I.
Speaker 4: Forty, Okay, that's a pretty good line. I think as far as north and south best I can tell. I mean, I've been here hunting every day, so I don't know the weather across the country, but I would assume that's a pretty good line. We'll say, north of I forty, we are we are above a nine. We are above a nine right now, it's as good as I've seen it, boys and girls and mostly boys. And then below I forty, we're gonna give it. We're gonna give it a six point seventy three. That's a pretty good spot. I mean, I feel like that's the case.
Speaker 5: If you're a Southerner, you know that the rut is sometimes a little less defined, and this whole month for a lot of places will be really good, and then there's some places that still we're looking forward to December.
Speaker 2: I do find it interesting.
Speaker 5: That the north of I forty, stuff, we had a good cold front move through, and now we just have a lot of consistent weather. But it seems that it's it's a good effect. It's not like it's gotten super hot. It's not gonna be good like freezing good days, but it's just really good November days might be a little warmer than that normal, but I think that we have some high pressure and stuff, and I just it's just it's a good year.
Speaker 4: It's rock and rolling right now. I mean this morning was my typical experience hunting in November, where it's very cold in the morning and then it warms up to t shirt weather in afternoon probably, you know, depending on what you're doing. So yeah, I would say those those temps, along with just maybe that that northern latitude overall where deer need to be in a short window of rut, is what helps out the rut right now North eye forty and I would say that that longer, more extended, drawing out window that the South experience is in a lot of places is what is hurting it, along with some hot temps. I would expect as soon as you see some cold weather, and if not, probably in the next seven days, things are really gonna start popping off in the South. YEP.
Speaker 5: My final reminder here guys is if you don't get them killed in the next week, you have zero reason to panic. There's a lot of deer season left, okay, But it's fun to be in the woods right now because things are really exciting. But even in the most northern latitudes of Wattail Country, you're gonna see good rud activity for quite.
Speaker 2: A while, you know.
Speaker 5: But it's it's peeking out here real soon. So get excited getting the woods when you can. Tyler, who are we talking to today?
Speaker 4: We're gonna be talking to our buddy Scott Harness. He's from Arkansas, one of my favorite people in the world. We also have Zach Lewis and Texas, our buddy Jared Larson from on X up in Wisconsin, and Philip Tuttle from Illinois.
Speaker 5: Awesome, let's get those guys on the phone. I've got my buddy Scott Harness. He is an Arkansas hunter and pastor. Extraordinary.
Speaker 8: What's going on, brother, it's all you guys, man, all you guys living the dream.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure. Well, I.
Speaker 5: Know you've been after the deer and you've been after souls, and you probably got a good report for both.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the deer right quick. What are the deer doing out there? Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well you know, we had a crazy warm end of October. Early October, we really had a lot of pre rut activity. We saw, we saw a lot of a lot of sign, a lot of stuff being laid down. Once we got to the end of October, it warmed up, and now early November it's still pretty warm, but the deer are starting to move.
Speaker 5: I've had some.
Speaker 8: Buddies have some really good encounters. In fact, a couple of few good kills that over the last little bit. So the deer moving. I ran into my target buck just a couple of days ago and he was moving around the middle of the day, about nine o'clock in the morning. So you know, the you know they're on it if they're if they're moving around like that. So I think it's as things starting to free up. If we could just get some cold. Man, we have not really had a good, good front come through, and it's kept them, it's kept them pretty much in the night time cycle.
Speaker 9: Really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, it kind of feels like it's just a gradual cooling throughout the fall and has you know, at least for kind of the southern stuff, it hasn't ever been like that snap.
Speaker 2: You know that it usually seems to get them engaged. Are the acrons still on the ground and viible or are those deer off acrons?
Speaker 3: Now, they're definitely on the ground.
Speaker 8: In fact, you know, we hunt a lot of the bottoms, and so there's a there's quite a few acorns on the ground.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: I've hund a few places that up in the mountain areas and I've found a few places that very little acrons in those areas. And maybe maybe it's just how dry we were, but the bottom seemed to be full of acorns. Up on the ridges, they don't seem to be so much. So, you know, that's kind of the the what I'm seeing. And so we've we've really focused down, you know, being close to sick thick security cover, and down in the bottom seems like there's a lot more deer moving around down in there.
Speaker 4: Hey, Scott, it's Tyler. Hey Budd Heyman been missing you? Uh no for sure?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 4: Uh So when when does the acrons just stop mattering? At what point is it just full on rut?
Speaker 8: Well it, you know, for us here usually about the middle of November, maybe just a little bit earlier. It really depends, you know, in Arkansas, you can you can put a pin on the map and you can go thirty miles to the north and you're in a different rut window, and you can go thirty miles to the south and being a different rut window.
Speaker 3: So it really depends on where you're hunting. Where we hunt.
Speaker 8: One area that we hunt in early November is really when they're they're they're locking down, you know, maybe the seventh of the tenth or so of November, they're locking down and they're they're really on the on the on. The doughs and and acorns aren't quite as important. But you know, you can go south of US and usually where it's flood prone regions in the bottoms down there, it's much late, you know it. It can go late November, mid to late November before they're really you know, really on it.
Speaker 4: So, so I mean, why do you think that is? Is that a I mean you're talking about north and south there. I would assume with South being the later it could be correlated with weather. But thirty miles the weather ain't gonna be too much different, right, Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, it's not what I from what I've heard, and this is just me talking to the old timers. What they really say is is that it really had to do with the natural river flood and so you know, for instance, in Arkansas, the winters are not extreme enough to where you know, dose have to fawn and worry about the winter. But what they did have to be concerned about was the floods, you know, and the flooding. And so most people agree that where I'm talking about, where you go a little bit further south, and it's funny, it can be a like a kidney shaped area kind of sort of in the south central part of.
Speaker 3: The state has a much later rut can islander or rut.
Speaker 8: Time, And I think that's really because that area floods and it's and it's very unpredictable in that way. And so I think that I think them old timers are right. I think that's what's affecting that that rut schedule for them, because it's really about about faun viability, you know. And God the way he organizes that, He puts the funds on the ground when when they're going to have the best chance to survive, and that's how it works.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 5: It's right, Man, be fruitful, multiply, and he made them to where they could, which is pretty cool. So if we're looking at really, you know, some of the dates you mentioned are within this next week, right, and so if we're looking at that as being one of the peaks for Arkansas, if you were going to rank buck moving on a scale of one to ten in the daylight for the next week, what would you say it's going to be.
Speaker 8: Again, depending on where you hunt, I would say from about just just north central to just south central. I would say in the next five to seven days, it should be a nine or a ten. And it would And I could really say that without a doubt if we.
Speaker 4: Had a front coming through.
Speaker 8: Now we do have some weather coming through and water's coming up, and one of the advantages for us is that when the water comes up, it shrinks up the area that the deer can be in, and it helps you a lot in your hunt. It's difference between daylight and dark. You know, there area that they're going to be in is going to be much smaller, and it makes them a little bit easier to hunt. That's fixing to happen. In fact, the river's coming up fourteen feet in the next three days.
Speaker 4: So are you trying to make us come see you or what this and I'm telling.
Speaker 3: You where, I'm telling you right now.
Speaker 8: The difference between right this minute and three days from now, not just because of the rut calendar, but because of the land mass shrinking.
Speaker 3: It's dramatically different.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: That's some solid info.
Speaker 5: And although it wasn't a solid ten, maybe the first ten that I can recall for Fresh Radio. I appreciate the optimism, brother, Thank you for the report.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, man, Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm on the phone with Zach Lewis.
Speaker 5: He's a high school friend of mine and he's been doing some hunting in Texas.
Speaker 2: Zach, what's going on, man?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 11: No much, just take care of kids and getting out and hunting when I can.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's the life, dude.
Speaker 5: We were chatting on that before, and I don't know if there's something that brings you much more joy than than to have kids and then get to introduce some of the outdoors and stuff.
Speaker 4: That's very cool.
Speaker 5: You've been doing some hunting down there in Texas. Of course that's home for me, and we're actually pretty far apart where we're hunting. But you know, Texas is a big state. But a lot of things are going on in the white tail world. You were out there this past week. What do you think that the bucks are doing right now, Texas.
Speaker 11: I think the bucks are really starting to break up out of their their feeding patterns and really starting to roam outside of their core areas a little bit, starting to look for dose. I don't think the dose are quite ready to start running yet, but the bucks are just starting.
Speaker 3: They're starting to move around more.
Speaker 11: We notice, you know, seeing different bucks in different areas where they haven't been and moving around a lot. But the dose are definitely not receptive to the bucks just yet. But the dough the bucks are really really starting to really starting to search around and where those doughs are located.
Speaker 4: At for sure.
Speaker 2: Are you seeing like mature bucks on their feet in daylight much? Yes, yeah, we're seeing bucks on daylight.
Speaker 11: We're still getting a lot of nine time activity on some game cameras and stuff, but we are starting to get more and more activity during the day, especially in the later mornings. You know, they'll get more activity through the night where they'll bet up in the early morning and start looking around more.
Speaker 3: Later in the late morning.
Speaker 11: Activity where they're looking for dozs in the late morning and early afternoons.
Speaker 5: Got you do you think that's because they wait on the dose to go back to bed and then cruise.
Speaker 4: Why do you think you're seeing that?
Speaker 11: I just think they're breaking out of their summer feeding patterns. And you know, the does are still kind of we see a lot of the dose and there's still core areas where they're not just ranging out as much right now, but the bucks are definitely looking around to find out what dose are receptive.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, gotcha, what.
Speaker 4: Are they laying down a bunch of sign right now? Yeah?
Speaker 11: We have seen a lot of scrapes, and we've seen some bucks make some rubs.
Speaker 6: It's up, but we saw I found a whole line of.
Speaker 11: Scrapes a line of tree lined yesterday. But I think they are starting to lay down more sign for sure.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: So Texas recently just opened up his rifles season, and that always seems to kind of mix things up. Do you feel like once rifle season opens a guy should change his tactics and look in different places, or that you're going to just do what they do?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think it hurts really do either.
Speaker 11: You know, I think those bucks are still kind of in their core range a little bit more. They still are the core range, but they're starting to range out definitely.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, if it wouldn't hurt.
Speaker 11: You know, generally in the early season, the deer are back in their beds by late morning, you know.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock, eleven o'clock or so.
Speaker 11: But it wasn't hurt, especially in this later season in November, to stay in that stand a little bit longer, you know, wait till eleven, twelve o'clock. Even even if you're able to sit out all day, you never know it's gonna walk by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Texas is the home of rattling. Are you big on calling down there? I am.
Speaker 11: I do, especially on the property that we have.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of canyons, a lot of ravines and stuff.
Speaker 6: So I do like to take the.
Speaker 11: High ground and try and rattle bucks out of those big bottoms.
Speaker 3: And they'll start coming up and looking around for doze and who's making all that racket?
Speaker 4: What time of day do you do that?
Speaker 11: I like to do it late morning, you know, eleven o'clock, twelve o'clock, even into even as late as two o'clock.
Speaker 2: You know, M gotcha. So are you still hunting?
Speaker 5: Kind of relative to like feed or are you kind of focusing on betting areas?
Speaker 2: So right now, right.
Speaker 11: Now where we're still kind of hunting close to their feeding areas a little bit more because those doughs are hitting those feeding areas hard and they're still they're coming and checking those doughs hard instead of more ranging out. So, uh, probably in the late mornings I will hunt around the feeding areas in the in the evenings, will hunt more closer to bedding areas.
Speaker 5: Gotcha, Yeah, that makes sense. Are you Are you excited about the tempts that we have coming up? I feel like we just still don't have quite the weather that I like for you know, November in Texas, right, Yeah, we did.
Speaker 11: Notice that, you know, we I was, uh, you know, I was hunting this weekend and on a property and we had a lot of deer activity. But today in that in that area, I've been watching the game cans and and the there there's a cold front hitting up there up at North Texas. It's dropped another fifteen degrees and those it's definitely got the deer moving for sure. That there's been I've been getting deer pictures through the whole day, even every single hour I have deer on camera.
Speaker 5: Nothing like checking that appen and seeing that there's yep, yeah, that's fun man. So okay, we got some really good dates coming up. You know, November is exciting season for whitetail hunters and of course for the bucks as well because they get to chase the dose around. But you know, a little bit of weather. We do have some cold fronts that are pushing through. Like you're saying though, So if you had to rate buck movement on a scale of one to ten for the next week for deer hunters in Texas, what would you call it?
Speaker 11: I would give it, you know, seven eight. You know, as long as you get get ahead of that front. You know, there's there's big storms coming in and in our area, the deer don't like to move in those big storms. You know, we hunted this weekend and it rained all day Saturday. We just see a whole lot of movement at all, like hardly at all. Those deers like to bet up and those raines and everything, and you know, we're getting out of the weather. But Sunday was clear, and then we saw deer moving all day Sunday and I ended up taking a big mule deer yesterday. So yeah, so the deer are really moving after that that weather moved.
Speaker 6: Through and coming into that cold front.
Speaker 5: Optimistic numbers, man, I like it. It's a good time to be in the woods. Congrats on the big deer, dude, and I thank you for the report.
Speaker 3: No problem, man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: On the phone, I've got Jared Larson with on X and he is out in Wisconsin hunting watt tails right now. Sounds like he just pulled to set out of the tree because he is trying to chase him down.
Speaker 3: Dude, what's happening case, brother, It's good to hear from you.
Speaker 10: We're dealing with a lot of wets conditions over here, and yeah, hanging hunts are kind of the name of the game where I'm at right now, just hunting a permission property that you know, there's there's no set stands on it. And I come from Montana for seven day hunts every year, and so that's.
Speaker 3: What me and my four buddies got.
Speaker 10: It's about four d and forty acres on the western side of Wisconsin here and it's uh, yeah, it's been it's been tough the.
Speaker 5: Last couple of days. Well, I'm sorry, it's been tough. Do you feel like that is weather related? Is that just the dates that you have or what's the deal with that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I got here on Halloween, and then Halloween the thirty first of October there and November first, where we're off the chains here. I mean I saw a bunch of bucks, mature bucks, on their feet seeking.
Speaker 3: You know, I never really saw one.
Speaker 10: Acting like they found a hot dough. It was more just that uh, you know, tail bumping game. And then you know, we had that wind switch from from predominantly west winds to southeast winds where I'm at, uh starting on uh, I think it was like late Saturday night, early ear late Friday night rather early Saturday morning. And then with that, you know, we got a fair amount of low pressure on Saturday, Sunday and into Monday here, and those southeast winds persisted up until about an hour ago, and we just had really damp, wet, froggy air. And like one of the guys this morning had a great sit. You know, he had a hot dough nearby, multiple bucks running around.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's got a bucking boat range.
Speaker 10: It sounds like for the last three hours, so I think right now where I'm at in particular, you know, it's it's the old classic kind of first part of the rut there where you're either really in them or you're really not in them. But I really do think the wind shifted at about nine this morning from that southeast to a straight west, and immediately the sky started clearing, you know.
Speaker 3: The real foggy low clouds.
Speaker 10: Lifted, and so I think tonight will be a much more productive sit and then tomorrow we got more rain, but northwest winds. I mean, something my dad always said is wins from the least, or winds from the east, deer move the least. Whether that's just what I was growing up under the notion of or it actually maybe has a little bit of truth to it. I certainly am super pumped to get rid of this southeast wind, have some northwest predominance here over the next three four days, and uh, really on the outlook side of things, you know, like Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, higher pressure, clearing, skies, lows in the thirties, highs in the fifties. I'm I'm fired up to get through these last couple of days of wet here.
Speaker 3: Uh and see if bucks really start running.
Speaker 4: So is it supposed to Is it supposed to cool off when that all that froggy ear gets out of there.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So this morning when we left the you know shed that we stay in, it was I think it was sixty three degrees or something like that.
Speaker 3: I mean it was really hot.
Speaker 10: And muggy going in, and I mean as soon as that west wind switched you could feel that, you know, humidity kind of get pushed out of the air. So temps are supposed to start dropping. Tonight Tomorrow is going to be nothing short of a really cold, soggy sit. I think the highs like forty seven and it's supposed to rain all day. But regardless, I think that that Wednesday timeframe, once that higher pressure and uh and this weather system moves out.
Speaker 3: Of here, I'm I'm super plumped to be in a tree.
Speaker 10: Not that I'm not tonight or tomorrow, because once you're in the first week in November, as you guys know, anything can happen.
Speaker 3: And the only way it can't happen is if you're not.
Speaker 5: Out there exactly right, Dude, you got a hunt, so you pull you just pulled a sit. Tell me real quick, are you going off of historical data for where you're moving to. Are you making observations and making moves on them, or are you just going and finding the best pitch point you can hang it new set in.
Speaker 10: Yeah. No, Hilariously, this morning and there's a buck I've been hunting on this farm.
Speaker 3: We've known about him for four years.
Speaker 10: I've been hunting pretty much him exclusively for three and November fourth we just have like there are daylight photos of this year on very few occasions throughout the year, but November fourth, the last three years, I have a daylight picture of them of him. So that's uh, that's why I was sitting where.
Speaker 3: I sat this morning.
Speaker 10: He didn't he didn't make it another year in a row, unfortunately for me. But kind of our program where we're hunting, there's not a lot of food on our property. It's basically a big major creek drain system with a few hardwood ridges, but all of the tops are owned by adjacent nighbors.
Speaker 3: That have all the the egg.
Speaker 10: There's a couple of small borassica plots on the ground that that we're able to hunt, but our go to is pretty much the mornings we get up high and uh, and hunt the ridges, just trying to key in on that dough betting on the on the tips of these big predominantly oaken walnut a little bit of hickory mixed in just hunting, you know, the down wind side of dough betting. And then the evenings we just try to be prescriptive in the evenings and uh and again, really there's not a lot of food to hunt, so we're trying to just hunt some funneling pinch points where we might catch some bucks cruising, you know, from one ridge to the next in the evening, and and really just try to keep our presence a little less felt in the evenings. So I'm not entirely sure where I'll end up tonight, but it'll probably be probably be more of an observation sit than anything, just to try to get a better.
Speaker 3: Feel for what might be the play here in the coming days.
Speaker 4: Awesome, dude. So you know that's the thing about hanging hunt, man, is like, you know, it's a struggling to all a sudden, it's kind of not and there's a reward that's pretty awesome. But you know, with that being said, man, in this this kind of style that you're undertaking here of hanging hunt in the next week. If you had to guess based off weather, moon, rut, whatever it might be, or even food, what is buck movement going to be like on a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 10: Now, I'm somehow I am an eternal optimist when.
Speaker 9: It comes to let's going I think you have to be to some extent. So I'm going to say, you know, the next few days here, I'll say, starting on Wednesday, I'm gonna give it like a nine point seven. Like I really think after this low pressure, really wet, just drear system moves out of here and we get some sunshine and some some northerly winds, it's gonna break loose.
Speaker 10: Call it on the sixth, seventh eighth. You heard it here that if you're not well, you didn't hear it here. You've heard it in every.
Speaker 3: Run publication of all time.
Speaker 10: Throughout history that November six seven eight, you better get to a tree.
Speaker 5: Some things are cliches for reason. Man, It's because that's the time they go down.
Speaker 3: That's right, boys.
Speaker 10: But yeah, I would say, you know, park it, park it all day if you can, if you can muster it. Otherwise, go find yourself some dough betting by morning. If you have a good food source to hunt by the evening, that's kinda kind of would.
Speaker 6: Be my play.
Speaker 10: And at the end of the day, if you're set, doesn't have perfect conditions over these next few days. If you're if you're a bow hunter, sometimes you just gotta go try to make it happen and uh and push.
Speaker 3: The envelope a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guarantee, dude, Hey, appreciate the report. Go get them killed, dude, case.
Speaker 3: Tyle as always fell as.
Speaker 10: It's a pleasure of good luck out there, and shoot straight.
Speaker 3: Everybody on the phone.
Speaker 2: I've got Phil Tuttle. He's in Illinois. Phil.
Speaker 4: What's going on, man?
Speaker 7: Not much, just actually driving out to a hunting spot locally, kind of waiting for the rain to pass here.
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha, man, You're going in at a good time, man, aren't you.
Speaker 6: I hope. So we'll see.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I got a question related to that. But first, in general, what are the bucks you're you're seeing?
Speaker 4: What are they doing right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of cruising bucks by themselves of all different ages. You know, one and a half year old's up to mature. Dear, cruising by themselves. I'm also seeing them tailing, you know, single dose and dough family groups. I've seen a couple like all out chases for sure, but I don't think we're quite at the all out chase pace quite yet.
Speaker 6: But a lot of cruising and a lot.
Speaker 4: Of tailing that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I think your situation this afternoon is something that a lot of hunters across the middle part of the country are going to face and today or tomorrow the next day, where we have this weather system that moves through and then there's a break in it right afterwards.
Speaker 4: What's your strategy for falling up that rain?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, if the workfront and the family front can handle it and I'm able to hunt, man, I'm gonna get out there right as soon as the rain stops.
Speaker 6: And so that's the theory tonight.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't say it's a great like if you look at forecasts and some of the prediction software, you know, it's not a great night to hunt, per se, But it's man pretty sure it's November fifth of the rains about the stop. So I'm gonna get my bucket tree, dude, I'm.
Speaker 4: Fixing to be there too. Man's I'm at least in spirit because I'm gonna have to drive a little bit today. But I'll tell you what, man, those predictions, you know, it's interesting. It's a good way to hype yourself up. But I mean, a deer sometimes it's only got to move just a little bit for you to get a shot at him, you know, So even if movement is lackluster, you know, you're maybe one hundred yards from killing a big deer. So it's a good thing. Man. Are the acrons a factor up there where you're at, not so much.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you do have some white oaks early on, that would be something to key in on.
Speaker 6: There's just there are a lot of white oaks up here.
Speaker 7: But I mean this is pretty open country, and so it's mainly ag and you know, corn and beans.
Speaker 6: And then whatever you've planted.
Speaker 4: If you're into plots, okay, So talk about how the deer interacting with food right now, whether it's you know, ag or food plots.
Speaker 7: Sure, this is probably the earliest harvest I've seen personally up here. I mean, i'd have to say in my area that I'd say eighty to ninety percent of the crops are out and that's corn and beans together. And so that's I mean, that's great news to a hunter like me. So yeah, it's they're starting to hit green food sources.
Speaker 6: If you've got a planet and then cut corn, man, cut corn is great? Right now?
Speaker 4: Is there are are the combines still inefficient enough to leave quite a bit of grain that's going to last a long time this year?
Speaker 6: There still is.
Speaker 7: I mean right after they come through, I don't think it lasts maybe more than a couple of weeks to a month after, but they still leave plenty on the grounds.
Speaker 4: Gotcha?
Speaker 6: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 5: So are you planning on trying to group your hunts this week and trying to you know, make observations and make moves and string together some hunts with some information or are you kind of like we talked about well ago, predicting, you know, looking at the predictions and all that kind of stuff and trying to pick and choose what days you go.
Speaker 7: I've kind of cleared the schedule, man, to be honest, and this is this is this is go time.
Speaker 6: And so I'm gonna if you.
Speaker 7: Know, if my if the if the family front of the hopefront's good, I'm going to be out there this week. I'm probably preferring mornings, to be honest with you, and just trying to get as close to dough betting as possible, and you know, be down wind of dough betting.
Speaker 6: And I think the.
Speaker 7: Bucks are going to be cruising and doing their thing as it relates to dough betting.
Speaker 5: You know, you said this was kind of open country. Do you like to call it bucks? You see, like maybe even at a distance in that open country? And do you feel like they're responsive it?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love way too early. I called them way too early. I'm bad about that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: If twenty minutes go by and I haven't seen anything, I'm pulling out.
Speaker 6: The rattling horse.
Speaker 7: But yes, I absolutely will throw the kitchen sink at a deer.
Speaker 4: At this point in the season, gotcha, guys.
Speaker 7: I mean start with a grunt, then probably tickle the horns and then I'll snort, wheeze and you know, get the next one if they don't come in.
Speaker 10: M hm.
Speaker 4: So would you rather sit a green food source right now that dose are hitting and hoping that there's you know, a buck that's going to be cruising the edge of that field, or would you rather be sitting in pinch points funnels that kind of thing right now.
Speaker 7: I'm at pinch points in funnels phase personally, but it ideally if those pinch points in funnels can be close to betting, makes it even better.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, that makes sense. So in the next week, on a scale of one to ten, what do you think buck move is going to be like there in Illinois? Man?
Speaker 7: I'm at an eight and a ha half in the next week, and the only thing keeping it from being a full blown ten is just the temperatures are not quite as cold as we'd like them to be.
Speaker 6: But it's pretty darn good.
Speaker 8: M m man.
Speaker 2: These are good dates and good times.
Speaker 4: Brother.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the awesome report, and I hope you find that buck tonight man.
Speaker 6: My pleasure. Thanks Case, Thanks Tyler.
Speaker 5: This is hot week. As you can tell, we had some awesome scores around the country. It is the time to be in the woods.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna beat the dead horse, but you need to go out there and find you did near. That's what I need to say say right now. A few things to keep in mind, all right, Take a deep breath. It's still a long rut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, like.
Speaker 5: We we aren't running sprints. It's like a mile, which used to be like a long distance from but nowadays it's more like a sprint, right, So you just have to work hard the whole time. But there's some things to keep in mind. For one, make sure your family's taken care of, love on them, Call your wife and kids if you're on the road. Another thing, make sure you're making good choice is both in life but especially in the deer woods pertaining to this podcast, Like, don't do anything drastic, don't do anything dumb just because it's like, ah, it's gonna work either.
Speaker 4: Way, because that's not really at work.
Speaker 5: You gotta make some good choices, good decisions when you're out there, and some things that might help you do that. On the Wired to Hunt page, Tony Peterson has a article out that I actually really needed. It's about decoying and how to do decoying right, because it's something I'm really interested in. It's something that really works as time of year, but I have not really had a ton of success with it, and so I am very much interested in how to do that, and I think that Tony Peterson article is pretty helpful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, Another thing that could help you is the Element podcast. This week we talked a lot about what hunting in less pressured deer country is like, and a little bit about what hunting more pressure deer country is like and what we can do there. And it reminded me of that when you said, you know, just doing something crazy for the sake of doing something crazy didn't matter. It's like walking in five miles is not necessarily the best thing to do. It doesn't mean you're in a hut last pressure.
Speaker 5: It used to be and still probably sometimes is me. I have a little bit of that throw caution from the wind and make it work kind.
Speaker 4: Of thing, and it works sometimes for you does but you have a lot of dates, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: One and it's one way to gain a lot of experience, is my message whole, for sure. But at the same time, if you don't have uh, you know, maybe you have nine days total is fall to hunt.
Speaker 4: You want to make some good choices, right Another good choice you can make would be to watch the Element's YouTube videos the last two and actually involve mister K. C. Smith himself, one of which he kills probably what you consider it the biggest year of your life.
Speaker 5: You know, it depends on what biggest is pertaining to, but he is overall the coolest.
Speaker 4: Year in my life, maybe the biggest, the coolest one. And then there's another one where you're hunting a very kind of Southwestern looking place. I don't know exactly where it is, but I would say that maybe they chose you to do Retfresh because you have hunted everywhere from you know what looks like Baha to you know what looks like North Pole. So yeah, you got that experience.
Speaker 5: Man, I've been to some North Pole type places and I ain't I'm you know that everybody's like, that's a little bit warmer than what we like to be.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of like, you know, I actually don't mind it.
Speaker 4: This is perfect for me.
Speaker 2: It might be a little cold, I guarantee.
Speaker 5: You well, guys, get out there, get after it. This is ret Fresh, Keep it fresh.