Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, the production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is.
Speaker 3: Robert Lamb, and I am Joe McCormick, and we are returning today with the second part in our series about worlds before Creation. The idea behind this series is that very often when we think about a creation myth or a creation story, we imagine what's called a creation ex nihilo. So there is nothing, and then suddenly, for some reason or by some act, a world is brought into being. So nothing existed before. Now there's a world. But the interesting thing is that if you start really looking at creation stories from all around the world, it seems to me that very few of them actually fit this description. And instead of being accounts of how the raw substance of the universe was brought into existence, what you most often get instead is a before and after story where a world of some kind already exists, usually in some kind of static or chaotic state, and then something happens which introduces distinctions and differences and somehow orders this pre existing world in such a way that characters can now exist and events can take place within it. And I realized that I've talked on the show plenty of times before about being attracted to imagery of weird wastelands and dark, unpopulated places. I don't know how unique I am in this. Maybe basically everybody thinks this is interesting, but I don't know, but it feels kind of personal to me that, for whatever reason, I have never been able to forget about that chapter in the Time Machine or the time Traveler goes millions of years into the future and sees this desolate, withering earth under the red sun and no people in it, just these crab monsters and stuff. Or the way I was talking in the last episode about being really haunted by that very short description at the beginning of the Book of Genesis of the dark, the dark deep waters in the wind of God rushing above them.
Speaker 2: Here's another one for you, since we're about to come up on Alien Day, but the Service of the Planet LV four twenty six.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's always That's always been one of my favorite parts of the movie, when they go down to the planet, the empty wastelands that feel like a pre created or pre ordered world. I think maybe this even connects to something we've dwelt on a lot in Weird House cinema episodes, these empty places scenes in movies which happened. I don't know, this has come up many times. I'm thinking of our episodes on Night of the comment just recently the Last Man on Earth with Fincent Price. For some reason, that is just a really easy way to get my attention. I'm into this the waste land feeling or the empty world. So, in keeping with that tradition of fascination, I got very interested in talking about images from these creation stories of what the world is like before the creation event takes place. So that's what we've been talking about in the last episode, and we'll continue in this one creation narratives, but also with the special focus on what the world was like before the so called beginning and what kind of meaning or understanding these pre creation worlds imply. So for a brief refresher on the last episode, we talked about the Biblical creation narrative in the Book of Genesis, which is often understood to be an example of a creation story that actually is creation ex nihilo. It's taken as an account of like the creation of the raw substance of reality, but an interesting and I think to a lot of people. Surprising thing is that this is almost certainly not the intention of the original text. Most scholars today who look at the Hebrew of Genesis one tend to agree that it is actually not a tale of raw creation, but a story in which God orders and furnishes a pre existing, chaotic world. So this pre existing world is described as a world of darkness and deep waters, you know, the spirit of God hovering over the water. So it is a dark and chaotic kind of empty place, but it is a place. There's something there, there's water, there's you know, this wind of God, and we talked about that at some length. We also talked about interesting patterns that appear in multiple creation stories, often themes of darkness or undiffer differentiated masses of fluid of some kind existing in the world before, and creation acts or ordering acts that involve the separation of substances into discrete categories. I think that's a really interesting trend. We also talked about the pre creation world described in the opening lines of the Inuma a Leash, or the Babylonian epic of Creation, which is characterized mainly by the things of the world like the skies and the earth, being nameless, and I thought this hinted at a really interesting type of ontology in some ancient Mesopotamian thinking, where in some sense things begin to exist when they are given names and destinies, so a concept of existence that is at some level mediated by human recognition and salience, but also I think related to the concept you find all over ancient Ear Eastern thinking, where language itself has some kind of manifestation power to bring reality into existence. To bring it back to the Biblical creation narrative. In that narrative, God speaks things into existence by saying their names. But you also see this, for example, in ancient Egyptian Heca magic, where speaking or writing the names of things can manifest them in reality. Another interesting thing I was reflecting on about the anuma Aleish creation story that I think is going to be relevant to one of our major topics today is that you could legitimately mark multiple places in the story as the moment of creation. Right, So you could select the birth of the first gods, after the mingling of the different kinds of water. You could say, well, that's the moment of creation. Or you could select the later creation by combat story where the younger god Marduke kills the primordial being of saltwater, Tiamot chops up her body like a fish, and then makes the world we live in out of it? Which part is the creation? And I guess in different ways they're both creation events or both reordering events. And I think that that's an interesting thing to reflect on. People don't often think about it that way, that there can be multiple creations occurring sequentially.
Speaker 2: I keep and I'm going to come back to this idea again. I keep thinking about films and sequential films and in some of these discussions, and it's kind of like thinking about the Friday the Thirteenth franchise. Yes, there's a definite first film, but which is the first film that really sets the tone for what we think of as Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 3: That's very true. Yes, So when people think about a Friday the Thirteenth movie, the thing they're thinking about the most common types of imagery and patterns don't really appear until maybe the third movie, and I would argue don't really get strengthened until the fourth movie. So yeah, that is very interesting. It's like they're all derivative of the first one, but the first one doesn't have the key features of the people think of about the series. Yeah, yeah, Anyway, in the previous episode, we also talked briefly about parallels in science. Obviously, religious and cultural creation stories are a very different type of project from physics based cosmology, so we weren't trying to say, like, you know, which of the creation narratives gets the science right. I don't think that's a very useful project, but at least for some grounding. We talked about scientific cosmology and about how we don't really know what, if anything, happened before the before the beginning of the Big Bang, or more precisely, before the cosmic inflation. There are some speculative models that could be candidates for a physics based world before, and these have over the years included things like a cyclically expanding and then contracting universe, or the idea that we are some kind of bubble that emerges from a pre existing universe and maybe this kind of renucleation just happens infinitely. But we don't have direct evidence for these types of hypotheses at present. The best you can do for a world before in physics is create a model that is mathematically consistent with the theories and observations we already have, but it's not going to be There's not really a way to confirm it with direct observations, at least as far as we know. Finally, we also talked about a really interesting creation narrative appearing in some Chinese traditions, which was the story of Pengu, or the ancient coiled one, who forms inside a cosmic egg within a cloud of chaotic vapor, then hatches, and in some tellings, separates the earth from the sky, sometimes with an axe, and then stands as a pillar holding the sky up from the earth. Another interesting tale of creation by separation. We also talked about versions of the Pengo story, which include the Taoist and Neo confusion concept of the wouji. And I'm sorry if I'm pronouncing that wrong, Rob you brought up last time. How with the inflection that means something totally different, or it means like nonsense or something, But in the way I was trying to say it, it is the formless state of existence before creation, so before the egg of Pegu. In these tellings with the wuci, it's the state you might characterize as limitless potential for becoming that is actually nothing in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and this, and as in some of the other concepts we've discussed in specific stories, they're going to keep coming up again because, as we discussed there, there's certain various tropes that are popular in understanding and making sense of the origins of the world or the universe, and we see these reoccurring with different flavors.
Speaker 3: So let's see, Rob, do you mind if we kick things off today by looking at one of my examples here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: So. One of the most beautiful and interesting creation narratives I have come across while reading a bunch of them for this series is the Maori creation story. Now, with this one especially, this will be true actually of a lot of the things we talk about, but with this one especially, it is important to flag that there is not one canonical text or telling of this story. There are a bunch of circulating versions which reflect both regional and tribal variations, and then variations unique to individual storytellers. So whatever version of the story you read or that I tell will not be able to be representative of all of them. But I'm going to try to capture some common themes that appear in multiple tellings, with the caveat that this is not the only nor the authoritative version of the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As we've discussed before a lot of times, the idea of canon when it comes to mythology is even in Western traditions, kind of an illusion. And then in Western and now analysis of other cultures is also either artificial or the product like colonial interference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or just the product of textualization events. This come up in the last episode two that often the version of a story we start to think of as the definitive or canonical version is just the version that happened to get put into print first, or happen to be widely distributed in print first. Yeah, which might not have any more purchase on being the original tradition or the most widespread tradition among the original people who believed it. It's just the happenstance that it's the one that's in a book.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And we see this in the Greek tradition, for example, There'll be like a key text that ends up covering everything, and it is popular and it is a text that survives and continues to continues to resonate culturally for ages to come.
Speaker 3: Exactly. So in the context of Greek and Roman myths, we're very often going to be thinking of the way Avid tells it, or the way that Hesiod tells it, or something like that. Anyway, So there is one particular account of the Maori creation story that's from an older book that I just wanted to mention because in one case it's the only source I found of a detail that I wanted to flag later. So this older book is called, in its translated form, Polynesian Mythology and Ancient Traditional History of the New Zealand Race as furnished by their priests and chiefs. This was first published in eighteen fifty five, traditionally credited to the colonial administrator George Gray, but from what I've read, it was in reality significantly the work of a writer and Maori tribal leader named tay Rungi Kaheke, who has long been celebrated for his work in recording and translating Maori cultural traditions. And I apologize in advance for any pronunciations that I don't get quite right here. I'm doing my best based on the guidelines that I could find online, so I hope I get reasonably close so the story goes like this, long ago, the world was in darkness. The Skyfather Rungi Nui and or sometimes just shortened as Rungi Rungi Nui or Rungi and the Earth Mother Papa Tuanuku or just Papa were pressed against one another in a loving embrace. So Skyfather Rungi and Earth Mother Papa, they're hugging. They're hugging so tight that no light could penetrate between their bodies. But there was not nothing between their bodies. There was something between the Earth and the sky. It was the dwelling place of their children, the offspring of their union. So the children of the Sky Father and the Earth Mother lived smothered in darkness with no space to move. Now, another quick terminology note, because I initially got confused reading about this. Sometimes these children of the Sky Father and the Earth Mother, these younger beings, are translated as gods in English, and sometimes they're translated as if they are humans or people, or with words usually applied to humans like fathers. From what I could tell, the most culturally appropriate term is going to be the Maori term atua, which means a kind of supernatural ancestral being. So that's what I'm going to try to use here. So again we've got Rungi, the sky father, and Papa, the earth mother, and they're in this tight embrace, and the children the atuas, are between them. And what happens next varies by telling, but in some versions, one of the younger beings, one of the Atua, suggests that they kill their parents, or they kill their skyfather Rungi, so that they might break free of the dark embrace and have both light and room to move. But then in response another one of the atuas, this one named tne Matua or just Taune. This is the Attua of the forests and of birds and insects and beings that dwell in the forest so forests and the creatures that dwell there. Tane says he has a better idea. They will not harm their mother and father, but instead cleave them apart. So they shall push their father far away up above, and the children themselves will remain below, close to their mother who nursed them. And all of the younger beings agree to this plan except for one. There is one of the the Atua named Tafiri Matea, or the Atua of wind and storms, who is close to his sky father and fearce separation from him.
Speaker 2: Okay, so basically we're dealing with the primordial reverse parent trap.
Speaker 3: Oh that's interesting. Yes, so they're trying to get their parents apart because they I mean, it's hard to blame them. They they're like totally crushed in between them. The embrace is so tight. But yes, yes, instead of instead, instead of setting them up there trying to get them apart. But it's an impossible job, it seems, because Rungi and Papa are so vast. How can their embrace be broken? So all of the younger atua take turns trying, but eventually the stories often narrate them one by one, each trying to separate the mother and father in their embrace, but they can't do it. Eventually, only Tanae is able to drive them apart, and in one telling I read this is the telling from the eighteen fifty five book. The way he accomplishes this is by inverting his body. He plants his head head upon the body of the earth mother so on the ground, and then pushes his skyfather away with his feet and powerful legs, and in driving Rungi and Papa apart, Tane lets light into the world and is thus comes to be associated with light. He's sort of God or the Attua of the forests, but also in a way of light and in letting the light in this readies the world for the creation of humankind and the beginning of history. And in some tellings it is Tane himself who leads to the creation of humankind, because he creates the first woman named hine A Hue by forming her from the earth. So he takes the soil of the body of his mother, of the earth mother, and then breathes life into the form of the new woman he has made by breathing into her nostrils, and then together with her, Tane becomes the ancestor of humankind. Though I think the actual story is more convoluted. There are some steps involved, but they give rise to humankind down the road. But there are some interesting consequences of this separation. So after the separation, Rungi and Papa are in a state of grief about being torn apart because they were in love, you know, and now they're separated from one another, and that grief continues until this day. So Rangi cries for his beloved wife and his tears become the rain. Meanwhile, Papa cries and her tears become mists and fog. Papa also is sometimes depicted as being pregnant with another atua or having a younger atua, either at her breast or inside her. That younger atua is I think the youngest of this generation between them, and is named ru Ru Almoko. And this younger being embodies earthquakes. So the rumbling from deep inside the earth is this younger or possibly unborn god stirring within the Earth Mother. Another consequence is to remember the dissenting brother, the Tafiri Mati, the only one who did not want the sky father Rangi pushed away. In some tellings, he goes up to the sky to join his father after the separation, and as the embodiment of wind and storms, he batters the world below as a form of revenge or punishment. Also, in some versions of the story, Tane, as the guardian and embodiment of forests, is said to have clothed his earth mother with trees, either to hide her nakedness or to comfort her in the grief of her separation. So there are a lot of things I find really interesting about this story. One is that it frames the ordering of the present world not as an inevitable prelude to anything of value happening. You get that since in some of these other creation narratives, where it's like the creation story is what had to happen for anything interesting or worthwhile to take place, it's not really like that here. Instead, this story frames it as a as the victory of one divine party's interests over another's, and the losing parties continue to exist. So Skyfather and Earth Mother are perpetually thwarted and held apart from their embrace, but they still want each other, and they weep for each other. And the Atua of storms is constantly in reaction, is whipping the earth with these with these tempests, in a rage for his father being driven away. Another thing that I like and find interesting about this story is that in the narrative, the world before is not depicted as a bad or worthless place, at least least not from every perspective. Granted, from some perspectives in the story, it's not so great, Like the cramped darkness is certainly not appealing to Dutane and his brothers, but this pre creation state is not the frightening chaos of nameless, churning dark waters that we get in some of the stories we've talked about, like it is, it is not necessarily bad, and it is not nothingness. At least from Papa and Rangey's perspective, this primordial state is comfort and love. Isn't that kind of interesting. It's like it's an embrace so complete that not even light can pass through it, and thus the ordering of the world for human habitation is actually the shattering of a loving embrace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fascinating. It's like this like a suffocating togetherness, Like it's not you know, it's it's certainly not evil. It may it even sounds like quite good, quite comforting, but it leaves no room for the development of other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, this does imply something kind of profound to me. And maybe this thought is not fully formed, but I was thinking about how there is a sense in which you can view human life as that which begins when perfect love and comfort is denied and you have to go searching for something to fill the gap. But coming back to that point of contrast, I mean this highlighted for me something I don't think I had thought about as much in the last episode was how you know, there's always room for kind of misinterpretation or you know, reading of attitudes into these ancient stories that maybe the people who believed in them wouldn't have had. But at least as far as I can infer from the texts that are passed down in a lot of these ancient like especially the Mesopotamian narratives, like that really does seem to me like the people who believed this thought the pre creation state was kind of a bad place, Like it feels like before the world was made, it was not a good scene, not good. It was like a dangerous, frightening, poisonous kind of void of meaning and history, and that finally some order is brought into it in which good things can happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a fascinating point. It'll be it'll be fun to compare this story too, to the next one we get into and trying to think about its primordial state in comparison to this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well maybe we can go right onto that now, because that's all I've got for now in the Maori creation narrative. But I really like that one. I'm gonna be thinking about it a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's The great thing about these different creation accounts, emergence accounts, if you will, they they're they're they're very thought provoking. They make you think about the texture of reality in our lives, uh, you know, presumably in the same way that they made ancient people's think about these questions, because these are not new questions either, the questions that humans have been asking, you know, since the dawn of history. So I'm gonna be talking about specifically about about Aztec mythology, specifically the legend of the five signs. So we're gonna be dealing with sequential creations that lead to a fifth creation our own. And I'm going to come back to film here for a second, because Joe, maybe you have a good answer for this, But can you think of a single film franchise that doesn't really get get good until the fifth film or hits a notable high point with film number five. I tried to think of one, and I could not.
Speaker 3: I cannot. What's the fifth hell Raiser movie?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's say one. That would be Oh, that would be the Space one, right.
Speaker 3: I think now that's the fourth one.
Speaker 2: Oh, it would be Inferno.
Speaker 3: I think Inferno is one of the one that was originally not a hell raiser movie. It was a repurposed script.
Speaker 2: Okay, if it is Inferno and I don't have the list in front of me, Inferno, I perfectly enjoyed it at the time, but I don't think it's topping anybody's list.
Speaker 3: I barely remember what happened.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I was coming up with blanks on all of these a lot of Like, you know, it's a miracle if any film in a series is any good. But generally by five they're out of ideas. They're they're coasting on past ideas, and if they go you know, too much more than five, they may have great things in their future, but maybe not yet. Now, when you think about directors whose fifth films really see them hit their creative strides, well, there are some much better answers. You can point to things like Francis Ford Coppola's Godfather in seventy two, Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver in seventy six, or or John Carpenter's Escape from New York in eighty one. Sure, yeah, and those are all fine films and technically are like the fifth films in each individual's filmography. You can apply the same question to musicians and bands, and you can easily point to such examples as Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and seventy two, or Hey Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath from seventy three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what my daughter's favorite album?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Likewise, authors and novels you could single out. I guess like two that came to my mind, where Kurt vonnug Gets Slaughterhouse five from sixty nine or Corman McCarthy's Blood Meridian from eighty five, with McCarthy in particular, like I love most of the books that preceded Blood Meridian, but Blood Meridian was certainly a huge hit for him, and also one that kind of sets the stage for most of the novels to follow. So let's come back to mythology. Let's come back to universes creations, cases where a fifth attempt has led to something that is successful in a way that previous versions of reality have not been. You know, that is going to be key to discussions of as tech mythology here and I as an aside, I did find at least some chatter online about and about worlds of software development and engineering that speculated that like version five of something is really where things come together. So maybe in that design world or those design worlds, there's you know a little more logical applied to this, But I don't know, I kind of get the impression that there's no there's no set rule about like what version of you know, what draft is the finished one, what version of a particular software is going to you know, really be the sweet spot? You know. It just sort of happens as it happens.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: So this idea that this reality is not the first creation but the fifth is one of the core concepts of certain know it cultures and of the Aztec peoples. They're the idea that there have been five ages, five sons. And I think you can view these indeed as separate worlds or as different phases of one world, separated by catastrophic mass extinction resets.
Speaker 3: So would this be that history is not just suffering setbacks the way you might think of, like, oh, with actual the biological history of the Earth, where there's a mass extinction and it sort of wipes out a lot of life, but there's still progress to build on each time. Is it like that or is it more like a resetting to zero in a way, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of both based on my reading of it, interesting, you know, And again we kind of come back to the idea that we can only to a limited extent, compare like real world linear history to something like this. And indeed, there's a lot to dissect as well about the way the Aztec's thought about time and thought about it. They thought about it in a linear fashion, but a less linear fashion with like cyclical elements, like cyclical catastrophes in this case. And also, you know, it's easy to think, well, okay, we're talking about the same world, but just terrible things keep happening, but terrible things that require the establishment of a new sun, which of course is not really possible or at least extremely far fetched, given our understanding of the way the solar system works and how reality works. But again we're dealing with a mythic vision of the world and its creation. Now, just a reminder about the Aztecs. The Aztec Empire lasted roughly thirteen twenty five through fifteen twenty one CE, and it was a dominant meso American know civilization in Central Mexico with advanced astronomical mathematical, medical, engineering, and architectural knowledge. The empire fell during the colonial conquest of the Americas by the Spanish, but now it people live on. So for a fresh take on this topic, I turned to the book The Aztec Myths, A Guide to the Ancient Stories and Legends by Camilla Townsend, whose work entails less emphasis on colonial accounts and more on Nowait language sources. So you know, she still you will allude to these various codeses and so forth, but it's putting more emphasis on some of the oral histories and so forth. Along those lines, you'll also find plenty of breakdowns out there of the five Sons myth that are very sequential, and I believe these are more based on the Spanish codeses. But Townshend lays out a less formalized version of all of this, with more uncertainty about where each of the prior sons slash ages falls in any kind of sequential list, noting that the order and details vary depending on the storyteller.
Speaker 3: Oh so, this may be another case where there was, maybe in the past among some scholars, over confidence in the fixed of the story based on a textualization event exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So it's a great book and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to dig deeper. And she has an additional book on Aztec history that also looks very good. I didn't pick that one up because we are focusing more on the mythology here. But anyway, here are the basics of the myth the basic breakdown, as she describes it. So, one of the recent suns, perhaps the first but also possibly the fourth, was born on the day for water. And eventually that sun died, the son of that age died, and the floods swept the people away, the people that lived in that world, and they became fish.
Speaker 3: But there was one term there I didn't understand. So one of the sons was born, you said on the day for water. That's the number four, and then water is that like a calindrical type of signal.
Speaker 2: In it is my understanding. This is like a translation of the knaw It name for the day. And it's also connected to sort of like the flavor of that world. Okay, yeah, okay, So there will be like different like for water, four winds, et cetera. Because there's another age, the next one, if you will that She discusses involves the sun being born on the day for wind, and when this sun dies, the people were turned into monkeys and swept through the tree branches. And then there's another one of the suns that was born on the day for Ocelot, and the people of this sun were eaten by man eating beasts, perhaps some sort of giant feline predators. And this sun may have been quote swallowed in an eclipse from which there was no recovery ooh, which is a very ha thing way of putting it. And this ties into I think Aztec ideas about what an eclipse was, you know, not unique to their civilization, where it is the idea that the moon is being consumed or the sun is being consumed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and imagining trying to picture it like the sun goes behind the moon and then does not come out the other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then that's the end of your age. Yeah. The third son, she writes, was born on the day for rain, and a rain of not water but fire and lava buried the people of this Sun in a single day. Possibly she writes as an ancient communal memory of actual volcanic destruction or just kind of like another category of known cataclysmic destruction, and then our current age, the Fifth Son is born on the day for movement, with the movement possibly referring to earthquakes. Oh interesting, and yeah, and so this is the age we're in and it is the age where the gods get everything right, like, this is the age that everything works. It's beautiful, it is tremendous as long as we can keep it. And then a lot in Aztec culture is about well, how do we keep this sun? You know, things have been set in motion. Powerful deities are involved in the in the in the way this world works. But then it is also our responsibility to help maintain the power of the sun through you know, among other things are rituals. So at the creation of this uh, this age, the age of the Fifth Son, Like basically this comes together as follows. She describes a dark, pre dawn world upon which no sun had yet risen. So again this is kind of like the idea that it's completely new creation. No sun has ever risen here. And in this world, the gods gather at Tiatua Khan and they ask each other who will carry the burden, who will take it upon himself to be the sun, to become the dawn to be the dawn son, something that in previous ages there's had to be, like, you know, the new Sun has had to be to be like the work and or sacrifice of a particular god.
Speaker 3: Interesting yet another story where at the beginning the thing that is needed is light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So which god is going to step forth and be the s Well, there are numerous ones standing around, and there's a very proud god by the name of and I'm going to apologize for any pronunciations here I get incorrect, but you know, trying my best to land them. Here there's Texis Tecatal and he steps forward, saying like, yeah it's me. You know who else would it be proud to do so? But then the gods also kind of like nominate a particular pimple faced god, Nana Watson, and he kind of accepts the role with humility, like he went volunteering. But he's like, okay, you're all pointing at me, and you know I've gotten a lot of great stuff out of this gig. Yeah, I'll step forth. So both of these gods step forth to become the son, and the proud god Texas Takado he steps forth in a splendid headdress. And meanwhile Nana Watson is in a paper crown, and so, you know, one is proud, one is humble, and they move forth to to leap into the sacrificial fire that will allow them to become the Sun. And so the proud God he becomes scared and jumps back back out of the fire at first. Meanwhile, our pimple faced, humble god, he you know, he feels the pain of the fire, but he just keeps going. He's brave, and so in his immolation he becomes the Sun, our son, the fifth Son, and watching on text is tacadle he is. He's sort of like humbled by this and finally jumps in as well. He becomes the Moon.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, sort of a second place in terms of bravery. Yeah, humbled by his failure in the first go Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah. So that also, I didn't I don't have an answer for this question, and maybe it exists elsewhere in this text or other text. I don't know if that means that previous realities had a moon, or if like a moon is sort of unique to the Fifth World because of this scenario. Yeah, but it could be a case where like, how do you imagine a sun without a moon. That's just part of our human understanding of things, the duality. But at any rate, the Fifth Son, the age of the Fifth Son, this is the Goldilocks territory. Everything is just right, the world's beautiful, it's balanced. And you know, there were problems with all of the previous versions of reality, you know, the like I think it's the first Son in some tellings wasn't strong enough. It was too weak. Obviously there are monsters running around eating people in other realities. So this is the one where everything is just right, isn't it funny?
Speaker 3: How just depending on which way you squint, either the seems like this is the world that's just right, which it is, or this is the worst possible world, which it also is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, it's true, and you know the I guess the the interesting thing is it would have seemed this way to the Aztecs as well. I mean, there, I'm you know, they would you know, clearly, there were problems that they faced, you know, even before the big problem emerged, so you know they would have they would have been faced with this reality as well. But uh yeah, coming back to the gods, though, we're gonna. So on one level, we already have our answered the question like what came before the reality, well, different realities stretching back to a different like primordial age. And through each of these worlds, each of these universes, each of these sons, we had. The gods, the Aztec gods were present for each of these ages, and they began, however, prior to any of these sun ages, with a primordial dual deity named ome Za Waddle, which consisted of feminine aspects to Naka Kuti and Tonaka Seawattle. There's a nice artistic rendering of this dual entity in a book I have. This is by Ellen Stevens and illustrated by an artist who goes by the name Echo. It's called a pre Columbian Bestiary. I included just a snapshot that I took of me holding the book open in my front yard. Joe. For you others out there, I recommend you pick up the book. I couldn't find an image of this one online. But yeah, imagine an entity that is also two beings. So it is a single god, but it is a dual god. It is an entity of duality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, at least in this left illustration you've included. I would say that it has oh elements of being like one big complex geometric head or face, but it also looks kind of like two bodies joined in an embrace or twister. Maybe kind of a sexual energy to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so we have really really cool primordial energy to this entity. So the dual god produces offspring before any of the ages of the Sun, and the initial offspring take the form of the four brother gods, which some of these we've discussed in on the show before. So first up, we have the lord of the smoking mirror, tes Calipoca. Then we have the feathered serpent quetzal Cotal, and then we have the flayed one sheipe Totec, and then we also have Wetzelpacli, the god of war, and they have other dimensions beyond what I mentioned here, but that's just like the brief rundown of who they are. And so at first, these brother gods are more or less in equilibrium, but is each with each age of the Sun they quarrel with each other, and that equilibrium is just not sustained. And also it's like each of the previous four ages the Sun is sort of headed out by one particular god. So, for instance, the sun that the various accounts say the sun that Haspoca PoCA is responsible for, it's not bright enough, which makes sense because he's not the lord of light, he's the Lord of the black mirror. So back to the creator here, where does this creator come from? Because that ultimately is is where we're getting to. You know, we can say, well, what came before this world for previous worlds, but what came before all worlds? What is the true primordial nature out of which indeed this god emerges And so apparently the way it goes down is ometsuwattle. The dual God kind of emerges, springs into existence, or is self born, bringing about the creation of the universe as well, which leads to the creation of the First Son and the gods and so forth. And then after all of this is done, the dual God continues to dwell in what is sometimes called the thirteenth Aztec heaven, though heaven, of course, is a very loaded Western term, and we'll get into that a little bit here. But this particular realm is called omeicin which scholar mevel Leon Portella described in Aztec Thought and Culture, a study of the ancient non all mind as quote, the mansion of duality, the source of generation and life, the ultimate or meta physical region, the primordial dwelling place of the Ometzuwadel. So this is, according to Portilla quote, the place of cosmic origin of all things, and so the original deity dwells here, but the dual deity also exists, it's said, in the navel of the world and also in all things. So this entity is at the center of everything, but also is in everything. And there's a you know, there's a real sense of cosmic potential to this realm that it lives in. This Omeo can realm. It is, it's it's sometimes said to be the place where human souls originate, and it is described by Portilla as a place quote beyond time m hm. So, which we'll come back to.
Speaker 3: I'm seeing a lot of I'm seeing a lot of tensions here, like things existing both in the center of the world and seemingly outside of it at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And that's that's one of the really things about this whole realm of of omeo Okin, this place where the dual God resides, because it's like this is at once kind of like the primordial state of things, but also a place that still exists within these sort of metaphysical uh map of creation for the Aztec. So it's kind of like, you know, like to call it to Heaven's not quite the same. Maybe it did, depending on how you interpret heaven. But it's almost like if you try, I do like to compare it to you know, scientific cosmology. Uh, it's like saying, like, Okay, the world, the universe began with the Big Bang, but then the Big Bang still exists and it's here, you know, in its own sort of pocket dimension. So if I'm understanding it all correctly. According to as Tech mythology, our world was preceded by four separate takes on the world or reality, each with a different sun. And before the first world, before the creation of the gods that would create and govern these different worlds, an all powerful, dual creator god emerged out of a kind of dark, timeless ocean of endless potential and non time, and that place of endless potential still exist as its own dimension within the broader cosmology.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's complex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it really is. And that's one of the things that Portilla really drives home it's like, you know, we're not dealing with just sort of like a rough sketch of what things you know might have been, Like you know, the Aztecs were deeply, deeply invested in this idea and the philosophy of this idea, Like, you know, it's a very deep concept. And I think I think the idea too, is that sometimes you know, Western views of as technothology may be somewhat dismissive of its complexity. This idea that Omeo can is beyond time, though, it reminded me of some things that I'd read from Joseph Campbell about eternity being beyond time, So there being a difference between we might think of something as being eternal and that it lasts forever or it's long lasting, but like true eternity is something that is outside of time, and I think that is what we're talking about here. You know, we were talking earlier about the role language plays and all of this, like thinking about how language changes and or enables humans to think about, you know, distant primordial origins in a way like what does like what does time do? Like we think of time, like thinking of time not only as like a constant knowing that that we have this procession of events, but also knowing that it's human perception of time that ends up coloring these different views of what of what the world is and what came before. But Portella writes that for the Aztecs, quote, space and time are conceived not as empty stage settings, but as factors that combine to regulate the occurrence of cosmic events. So that one takes I think a minute to sink in. But you know, it's this idea that, like time, for the Aztecs had weight and was alive and was carried and and you know, it's it's not just this thing that's passively occurring, like we're not We're not just in time riding down a river like. It's a lot more complicated than that. And it also ties into the various ritual acts that have to be carried out the Aztecs to ensure the continuation of things. So yeah, I found that really fascinating.
Speaker 3: If I'm interpreting this right. So we've described some of these other creation narratives as stage setting in a way that a lot of times the initial ordering of the world and a creation narrative seems to be setting the stage on which history can take place. Now, characters, maybe gods or humans can enter and do things on this stage we've created. But the way the Aztec conception of space and time is being described here, it sounds like it's not just a place in which history happens, that space and time are mechanisms, that they are the gears that are turned in order to drive events within the cosmos and within history.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's the vibe I'm getting as well.
Speaker 3: Not just the paper but the pencil in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, or at least that's as close as I can come to really comprehending it here. I've also I also saw it put like this, this interesting idea that a metsu Wadel is kind of the ontological sustainer of the universe. Like again, he sets in the navel and sort of sustains everything from the navel, but then the rituals and devotions of the Aztec people serve as the mechanical sustainer, so ensuring even the durability of the fifth Son. So like everything like this is the best world, but this world takes a lot of work to keep going, And apparently it's not, or at least the vibe I get here is there's no guarantee that will continue on. There's no guarantee there won't have to be a sixth son, but you know, we have a fifth son as long as we can keep it. So yeah, I really I really enjoyed diving into this one. And again, you know, we have this concept of like what came before, something like some sort of place where there's there's no light yet there's no there's not time, but there is potential for things and and then things begin, you know, to be set in motion.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think we are hitting our time limit for today's episode, but I know we had more to say about this topic. And yet at the same time, we have some different episodes planned to record next week. So I think what we're gonna have to do is break at least for a week from talking about this the concept of worlds before and the the what came before in creation myths, and maybe we will come back to this in two or three weeks. Maybe we got a date with the worlds before in the near future.
Speaker 2: I think. So, yeah, we've got some some other stuff that we're already obligated to cover, but yeah, we'll come back to this and in the meantime you can write in and if you're if you know you're a particular fan or or you know we're culturally attached to a particular mythology and you're like, oh, definitely cover this one next. Well, you have I think an appropriate amount of time to get in touch with this and say, hey, make sure this one's on your radar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Or if you have anything you would like to add to the subjects we've already talked about.
Speaker 2: Please absolutely yes, all right, Well, just a reminder as we close out here. Stuff to Blow Your Mind is, of course a science and culture podcast, primarily with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays we do a short form episode, and on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact Stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.