Speaker 1: Cool Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Birds and the Bees, a podcast where James Stout makes animal noises and also we talk about what's going on in the White House this week.
Speaker 3: That's right, This is that could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling of our world, and what this means for you. That is Robert talking Previously, James Stout is also here. I'm Garrison Davis. I'm also joined by Mia Wong. This episode, we're covering the week of February sixth to February twelfth. Currently, me and Mia are inside New Orleans, Louisiana, and I am proud to report that fascism has been defeated. The Philadelphia Eagles have beat the kk Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl. Drake has been executed live on stage. It's a great week.
Speaker 2: That would have been kinder than what actually happened to Drake.
Speaker 4: Look as someone, as someone in My Blueskin mentioned, says capitalism. Currently the rule of capitalism seems inescapable, but the divine, the divine rule of the Chiefs once seemed undefeatable too, And they were fucking humiliated.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they lost so bad.
Speaker 4: I can't even I can't even say that they were beaten up and down the field, because I'd even fucking get down the field, obliterally generational beat down.
Speaker 3: And yeah, when I arrived here in New Orleans on Monday, this is the Monday after the Super Bowl, so a complete nightmare. But there was just an ocean of an ocean of out and proud Eagles fans. And the funniest thing I saw is that when I was waiting for me to fly in, there was this like half a full clothing rack of leftover Chiefs merche and all of the Eagles merch were gone.
Speaker 5: I will see that Chiefs Merch again somewhere in like a resource pause edging from now.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's going to be the uniform of a future civil war.
Speaker 3: Literally literally Taylor Swift themed Kansas City Chiefs merch.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, huge Alpha capital.
Speaker 2: It is so funny. Oh man, well, I guess. Yeah. The big losers this week, Drake and unfortunately the nation of Ukraine and most of the rest of Western Europe. Yeah, I guess We'll start with the big news today, which is that Trump just had a really great call with Vladimir Putin went super well. They're going to be meeting, maybe in Saudi Arabia. There's been some floating of the fact that they might meet at the White House, which I don't think it ends well for Putin if he visits the Uniteds. I don't think it ends well for anybody if he visits the United States. This country is too heavily armed and crazy right now. But they're doing this because Putin and Trump have evidently reached some sort of agreement about the end of the war in Ukraine. Zelenski was not really on this. He's made a couple of statements like yep, we're we're hoping that this is what pushes everything towards peace. But it's very clear that what's happening is Ukraine is going to be made to give up a decent chunk of their territory. Now they do have Russian territory still to bargain with somewhat, so it hopefully will not be a situation where Putin gets is entirely his own way. But that is kind of the what's happening, and the sea change that will accompany this is that new Secretary of Defense and alcoholic Pete Hegseth made a statement and a meeting in Brussels that the United States will no longer be the guarante of peace in Europe. Specifically, he stated that we're not going to tolerate of an imbalanced relationship which encourages dependency. But this was an announcement that the post war sort of status quo is no longer something that we can rely on going forward, and that is a really significant admission from the sec deaff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's sick, it's pretty cool, and it's going to be great. It's going to be great. If you're in the German arms industry, it's going to be a banger year for you. You making similis, I.
Speaker 2: Think we could all agree the future is bright for German weaponry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, once again Germany will rise to its former glory. Hussah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you say that as kind of a joke, but like genuinely the fact that we are doing a bunch of stuff that is leading to the full re armament of the German army at the moment when the German fascist parties are like about to take power.
Speaker 2: When off Day is getting into power, Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 5: And the Luftwaffe hasn't even bought to change his slogo since the last time, so that's cool.
Speaker 2: Well, and what you bring up there me is probably worth discussing in concert with all of this, which is that AfD off Day, the Alternative for Deutschland, which is the new Nazi Party in Germany, is not the majoritarian party, but is taking enough seats that it is going to be included in the next governing coalition, which is something that has not happened in the post World War Two era. In the immediate aftermath of World War Two, every Western European nation basically came to a tacit agreement referred to as the cordon sanitaire, which is when a right wing party starts to gain power, you do not coalition with them under any circumstances. Germany is actually like the last of the European countries to give up this idea. But the fact that the Cordon sanitaire has fallen in Germany is real bad news.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the ADF, like it's worth mentioning, right, Like the ADF is so right wing and so nazi that, like the the Italian fascists to our empower right now will not work with them, Like, Yeah, yeah, a bunch of stuff leaked a little while ago about these people at beatings openly talking about deporting every single Jew and every single immigrant from the country. Like these people are you know, I mean, they're just Nazis And yeah, so now we're fucking handing them the fucking justification to fucking rebuild their entire arms industry. So yep, great stuff.
Speaker 2: It is dark, I mean. And again when we say the Italian fascists, this is literally Mussolini's party, as in his granddaughter it's a member.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, that's bad. I think that's probably most of what we can say about what's going on in Europe and with Ukraine right now. But it's not good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's not good. It doesn't point to a great future. And this is the multi polar world that like Russia has wanted for some time, like coming to fruition, right, and I didn't want to talk about. So there was a time when Vladimir Putin some as you remember, was sanctioned by the International Criminal Court for his war crimes in Ukraine. The United States, however, the United States has not been a signatory to the Rome Statute, so it wouldn't necessarily have enforced that arrest warrant anyway. But this week Trump signed a little executive order titled in block capitals, as we've come to expect, imposing sanctions on the International Criminal Court, and in doing so, he followed the example of Putin, who in twenty twenty three put out arrest warrants for ICC prosecutors after they put out a warrant for his arrest. Trump didn't cite the Putin example. He called the ICC's actions against Israel illegitimate and baseless. That's a quote. He specifically called the warrants against UF Gallant and Benjamin Etting Yahoo baseless. He then went on to claim, quote, both nations are thriving democracies with militaries strictly adhered to the laws of war. This is a thing that is not true. His order then goes on to outline what it calls protected persons, people who aren't familiar at United States person is distinguished from the United States citizen. It also includes any permanent residents. It also includes US Armed Forces government officials and contractors working on behalf of US Armed Forces contractors. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the people who can do no wrong. It then goes on to include US allies, including all of NATO and sometimes contractors working on their behalf. It says that if the International Criminal Court investigates any of these people, Trump called the Clara National Emergency. It also imposes material sanctions and travel bands on both ICC prosecutors and people acting on their warrants, as well of the families of those people. Interesting, Yeah, this is an unprecedented American politics, and sometimes it gets reported like it is. I want to like throw back to what they called the Hague Invasion Act. That wasn't its real name, but that was George Bush's. Like it authorized the President to use any means necessary to release United States people held by the ICC or at its request. So people started calling it the Hague Invasion Act.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Trump did also sanction ICC prosecutors and their families in twenty twenty for looking into US war crimes in Afghanistan. I think that happened in June of twenty twenty, So you can be forgiven for having missed up because some stuff was happening at that time.
Speaker 2: Oh was it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, things were going down. I'm sure Philadelphia Eagles were, you know, beginning their rise to glory again. That was a big thing. Kansas City chiefs were doing some racist shit, shockingly, shockingly. I'm sure Taylor Swift was doing something too, But yeah, this is like Israel has for nearly a decade been trying to hack samea surveil and threaten the Court. In the show notes, I'll include a link to a Guardian article that came out last year about Israel's attacks and attempts to undermine the International Criminal Court. And just if I've been talking about something and you're like, what is the International Criminal Court? Very briefly, it's based at the Hague. So if you've heard, you know you will stand trial at the Hague. That's what they're talking about. It has its most immediate routes in the tribunals investigated perpetrations of genocides in Rwanda and Yugoslavia. The US and Israel are lot members of the court. They never signed the Roman Statute. Russia withdrew in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Curious time to withdraw?
Speaker 5: Interesting, fascinating. Yeah, they just decided that it wasn't for them, and off they went to do some war crimes. The ICC has been criticized, probably recent for the vast majority of the people who have actually been prosecuted for the ICC being outside of the core neoliberal states, right, It's prosecuted a lot of people in Africa. That doesn't mean that like African people can't do war crimes in Africa, of course they can, but it means that they're held accountable more often than when countries in the global North do war crimes, which they can do too. Okay, So Trump, that's like everything else he does, was condemned internationally for this, right, including by several NATO allies, in so much as they really are NATO allies anymore given everything we've just talked about. However, it's also worth noting that some of the countries like France, who condemned Trump's sanctioning of ICC prosecutors, also allowed someone with an ICC warrant I Benjamin that's in Yahoo to transit their airspace. So like, therefore, commitment to the ICC perhaps can be questioned. This is a problem with the ICC, right, it doesn't have an integral enforcement mechanism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean like Canada previously promised quote unquote promised yeah to arrest net Yahoo if they were ever like able to, and like, yeah, I'm very curious to see how this is going to shake down with the US taking like an extremely firmer stance at least than we previously had. We already like you know, quote unquote like condemnic Canada. But like I'm interested to see Trump like be more interested in actually pushing this further than it has been.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess we'll see how it goes for people who are unfamiliar. I do want to like really quickly mention that like Palestine is a signatory and therefore war crimes to happen within Palestine and covered by the CORE. Even if states such as Israel are not signatories, right, therefore they're still under the court to jurisdiction. So that's how in this case this is happening.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: It could also make the ICC's life very difficult in terms of using technology, right that the tech back end of everything that ICC does. Try to remove that from any United States involvement would be very hard.
Speaker 3: Well, let's go on a quick out of break in return to talk about I don't know what the treasury or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about the treasury.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, we are back. But before we talk about the Treasury, I first wanted to do some do some breaking news while kind of breaking. So when I was flying to New Orleans, I was able to fly past the brand new Gulf of America. It was a life changing experience. It really warmed my heart. And then, luckily, a few days ago, Georgia Representative Buddy Carter announced legislation to empower Trump to enter into negotiations to quote unquote purchase or otherwise acquire Greenland and importantly to rename it red, white and blue. Lind God, let's get some quick reactions from the panel.
Speaker 5: Sorry, As a person born in Europe, the idea of Buddy Carter authorizing the formation of Red, White, Blue Land, it's simply just like the fact that this is not a parody, it's just fucking too much for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, well, what it is is purposefully ridiculous. It's a it's a flex, it's a statement of the power that they have over their own party and the country. It is purposefully absurd, and everyone is going to go along with it because the Chief, the King supports it, right, Like that's the point in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see empress new clothes of invading places.
Speaker 2: Like it doesn't matter. We can be as silly as we want.
Speaker 5: Genuinely interested in hearing from people in Greenland.
Speaker 3: Yes, honestly, I'm kind of surprised, because I would I would assume it. Maybe maybe this is still in the works. If Elon Musk can find a way to call this thing excellent, is really my concern.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm really interested in hearing from Greenland. Is genuinely You can contact us at cool Zone, tips at proton dot me, which is an encrypted email address that you can send emails to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, let's let's let's talk about Trump potentially crashing the entire world economy. He's taking more shots to just literally blow this all up. Yeah, okay, So let's talk about the treasuries thing and him potentially talking about not paying out our fucking treasury bonds. Okay, so many reason quotes from Reuters. So this is Trump. We're even looking at treasuries. Trump said there could be a problem. You've been reading about that with treasuries, and that could be an interesting problem. Now treasuries again, our course, US treasury bonds. We will get to what those are in a second, but I need to read the rest of this quote. It could be that a lot of those things don't count. In other words, that some of the stuff that we're finding is very fraudulent. Therefore, maybe we have less debt than we thought. Now, that's a very scary thing to say here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Treasury bills are the primary underpinning of like economic stability in this country. T bells are what large corporate institutions when they have a lot of cash with like very wealthy people. It's where you park your money, and it's where foreign governments park a lot of their money, like yeah, and it's how our government gets a lot of its money because it's a good, reliable investment. So saying maybe we're going to declare some of these T bill investments bullshit is very dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the global economy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to read this next line because one of the things that's happening here, right is that people just simply and this has been a real problem for this entire administrations, people simply do not believe that he means to do the thing he says he's going to do. Right. Quote this is from Broiders. Again, it could be treasury payments, which is not linked the treasury bonds. Said for shop Bihani, investment chief for Asia at BNP Power Boss Wealth Management. I would be very surprised if they ever stopped a payment of treasury bonds to a holder. It would be like shooting yourself in the foot, he said. Now, this is something where these these institutional investors, like they still have not quite wrapped their head around the fact that no, he really will do this shit because he doesn't understand at all. He thinks that American debt works the same way as like his own personal debt, and no it doesn't. I mean, it's worth saying some bits. So, I mean, just a very very basic shit about how national debt works. Right, Like all of our money, literally every single dollar that is in circulation, every dollar that is in a bank account, that is literally government debt, right like that that's what money is, right, And these treasury bonds are as we were talking about earlier, right, this is like the investment asset for literally the entire world, and there's trillions of dollars of these. Actually, Japan is the largest holder of treasury bonds. China's sort of been selling some of theirs, but they have a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably good to be doing that, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's also you know, like the fact that he's saying he's not gonna pay these yet, like this can start a massive crisis in which I've been talking for a bit about, you know, every day we sort of get closer to credit rating agencies like downgrading the quality of US debt, which is a real problem for US trying to like get money from people. And and you know, even if you listen to what that what the sort of bond analyst is saying, right, he's like, well, it's fine, they'll just stop paying like US debt to other things, which is like unbelievably unhinged. Would also in and of itself, like destroying the full faith and credit of the United States would absolutely just fucking annihilate the world economy. And it's also another example of Trump not understanding how the empire he's inherited works, because like the one of the ways the US funds is government is by getting its client states to buy like trillions of dollars of assets. Like that's partially why feelief. Look at who's who buys US assets, like it's China and US tributary states like Japan, for example, which is just purely in American military Protectorate. Right, it's a sort of incredible system for the US. Right, you get a bunch of people and you, you know, you just you just sort of perpetually keep borrowing money from them. And it's this thing where they don't understand who actually holds the power in the relationship, which is that the US having all this is the one with the power and is the one that's getting everyone else's money for this sort of secure asset. So, you know, who knows what's going to happen with this If this actually starts happening, like, yeah, this is the world rending economic crisis levels of stuff. Well, we'll see if he moves on it, he may simply forget about it, or we're going to wake up one day and like the US's credit's going to be downgraded to like junk bond status and everything's going to be chaos. So, speaking of Trump trying to sort of like take shots at pillars of the global economy, starting in March, he's trying to implement a twenty five percent tariff on all imported steel and aluminum. Most of that's actually from Canada and Mexico. I think in their minds is the thing about Chinese steel, but it's mostly from Canada and Mexico. This is also a fucking shit show because the US manufacturing capacity that we still have and we still actually do have a decent amount of like a very high tech manufacturing right relies on this stuff, and this is going to make it more expensive, gets bad. It will do nothing to deal with the fact that US doesn't produce steel anymore, which is the product of that. One day I'll do my structural Chinese steel over capacity episode. But you know, it's it's the product of like half a century of the global manufacturing economy, you know, becoming zero sum, and they're simply not being a large enough consumer market for all of industrial goods, which means the production becomes increasingly you know, it becomes impossible to expand production to one place without you know, getting ready production another place. In Trump things you can solve those with tariffs.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 4: Mostly it's just another like throw things at the economy shit. Now, you know, Trump is sort of throwing bombs at the economic system. One of the largest ones that he's thrown is he just straight up stole eighty million dollars in FEMA funding that they had already paid out, like just straight up stole it from like a New York City bank account. They like, so I've been paid to the government in New York.
Speaker 3: Right, this happened earlier today.
Speaker 4: Right. This is yeah, literally literally this this is breaking news, breaking news on Wednesday. This is coming out Friday. This episode is being recorded on Wednesday. Everything that you hear if shit has happened in the US a few days, that's from the future. We didn't know. But yeah, yeah, he literally, like they have taken eighty million dollars just from this bank account. They just stole it. The hostitial government is just straight up robbing banks.
Speaker 2: It's okay. That came out today and said that don't worry your bank accounts are still safe everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is like appropriated funds like for FEMA being sayly secured in banks that have like literally been funds are approved.
Speaker 4: By Congress for a specific purpose, right, Yeah, And what's actually going to happen with this, right, because you would expect a even like a normal shitty mayor of New York to like go sicker mode. However, well man, however, Comma, here's from Yahoo News quote Eric Adams said, he will not publicly criticize Trump or his administration. Instead, they'll take his concerns to Trump in private. On Monday, Adams convened a meeting with his own top officials to urge them not to speak badly about the president in public, saying if they were to do so, it could risk federal funding later that day. That same day, Trump's Justice Department ordered the prosecutors in Adam's criminal case to drop the charges against him, in part, arguing Adams must be free of the burden of his corruption indictment to help carry out Trump's immigration agenda in the city.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 3: Cool, This is the most like quid pro quote thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It is the single most corrupt thing I've seen out of US politics. Yeah, like blatantly, it's staggering.
Speaker 5: I mean it would come from Trump plus Adams, right like, Yeah, we're going to see it. That's what we're gonna say.
Speaker 2: We've hit a singularity of corruption.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, it's stumbled as always the first stop. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only way they can go further than this is that Eric Adams is going to point Rob Lagoyevitch's head of like bank robbery or something.
Speaker 3: One can dream Mia one can dream.
Speaker 5: There are a few other ways they can go further with yo. I'm afraid to inform you, miya, but we'll be hoping those don't happen.
Speaker 4: Well on the eruption index, on the corruption index.
Speaker 3: Okay, speaking of corruption, let's pivot to ads. All Right, we are back, and I'm going to close by talking about the war on Woke, my new favorite news beat that I'm forced to attention to every week. There was a transports band that that that Trump did an executive order about using a whole bunch of children as a prop very clearly trying to steal steal the charisma from whatever that governor who lost the election did with his free school lunch there anyway, Instead now it's you just you know, hurt other children in the school by not making them be allowed to play sports. So that happened, and then a few other things have happened the past few weeks, and I'm kind of just like catching up on because I've been really focused on like reporting on like Muscus specifically, and there's been a lot of other stuff the past few weeks. So I'm going to kind of get to that now. The State Department's travel website change the acronym LGBT to LGB on a web page like warning about like how dangerous it might be to like travel to like other countries with like worse legal protections, say LGB travelers can face special challenges abroad. Laws and attitudes in some countries may affect safety and ease of travel. Many countries do not recognize the same sex marriage. Many countries don't recognize the ex gender marker in passports and do not have it systems at ports of entry that can accept sex markers other than female and male.
Speaker 5: So they've only changed the title pot. Yeah, they haven't even bothered to edit the text.
Speaker 3: No, because because they also have another info page where they have just like control ft LGBT two LGB as well. So this is this is like one of like many changes we're seeing across a whole bunch of federal websites in relation to Trump's order to like remove wokeness and gender ideology. Previously, the CDC removed like HIV and trans related like health info pages from their website, and as of yesterday, February eleventh, the web pages for the FDA, Health and Human Services and the CDC were allegedly brought back online, restoring their January thirtieth status. They did this like right before a court mandated deadline to restore these pages, like I can I can now go back on to the CDC's HIV page. Verge was first reported on this, and they said that, you know, they've been unable to verify that all of the pages have been restored exactly to how they were before. This is something that we're still working on because it's literally happened, like you know, yesterday. This is this is like a small, a small part of their of their current war on wokeness. Another aspect of this is there's been a whole bunch of orders from federal agencies to ban specific woke keyword words across like their databases, their websites, training information, including from agencies like noah SO just like the Weather and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. They released a memo of banning specific words across the agency, including words like ability, acceptance, access, affirmation, aggression, allyeship, androgyne a, sexual belonging, bias, binary, bisexual, black culture, DEI, discrimination, diversity, empathy, empowerment, equity, ethnicity, fairness, gay, gender genitus, foria, handicap, homosexual, LGBTQ, intersex, pan sexual, queer, transgender, transvestite, as well as words like impartial inclusion, indigenous, intersectionality, justice, the word white has been banned, They space, social justice, underserved communities, race privilege, powerdynamics, Native American, multiculturalism, all of these Like again, this is like the Party of Free Speech has banned all of these words, and it's not it's it's it's it's not just Noah. Also, the National Science Foundation has has released my most saying that they cannot have these words included in their documents because it could cause them to lose grant funding.
Speaker 5: Well, it's the end for race science. Then they can't do race science anymore.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of similar words flagged in the National Science Foundation list of banned words, like activism and activists, advocacy, a barrier, a bias black LATINX community, uh diversity, equity, cultural differences, cultural heritage, culturally responsive, diverse, you know, diverse, community, divice, groups, diversified, diversifying, all this kind of stuff, ethnicity, equality, inclusion, inequality, LGBT institutional marginalize, trauma, underappreciated, stereotypes, systemic under presentation, undervalued victim.
Speaker 2: I love that you can no longer do scientific papers about systemic infections.
Speaker 6: Yeah, organs, Like yeah, no, there's anything that has a barrier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: There's so many words that are just like used in like how like studies function that they cannot use because the word is too woke, and then they're gonna lose their funding. Like yeah, you can't, like you can't like look at like things being equal. You can't look at any kind of like scientific bias, Like you can't like this very basic stuff. It may just result in like the tiktokification of us, like trying to spell these words with like a different letter.
Speaker 5: Talking about cute little boots what it is.
Speaker 3: And like I'm laughing because it's all like absurd and it's kind of like kind of like a coping mechanism. But like this is all like very bad.
Speaker 4: Well, but like this something else, just something else we need to talk about you, which is like like you are required by law as part of your grand proposal like have things that talk about like how this is going to different communities, et cetera, et cetera. Is a legal requirement for you to put that in your thing. So like if you were to like strictly enforce this, this kills every fucking grant. And this is this is one of these things where it's like you're literally just running straight into the federal law tells you must do this thing, and the Trow administration says these words are banned, so like, yeah, who knows.
Speaker 3: It's a really weird situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can't do IRB right now. Like most guards will go through an institutional review board that will determine like if there are human subjects, they're like there ethical boundaries, and like what you're doing is okay. I can't see it being possible to do an IRB and not say these words.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, And like we have to do scientific studies on like how how various disabilities affect people's lives, like very basic stuff like this, all of these types of things. It's really bad and these things like are going into effect. I know, like this is this stuff is still happening. Columnists to doctor Lucky Tran reported quote the CDC has instructed its scientists to retract or pause the publication of any research manuscript being considered by any medical or scientific journal the move aims to ensure that quote unquote, no forbidden terms appear in the work band. Terms must be scrubbed. Great, it's all really bad, yep. And we're seeing this this sort of like lists being formed increasingly, including this DEI watch list put together by a conservative oppositional research group called the American Accountability Foundation PRICE, who released a DEI watch list which publishes the names, photos, occupation, and personal information of mostly black employees who work under the Department of Health and Human Services. When the website was first discovered, the employee profiles were labeled under targets. This has since been changed to dossier's like very very frightening, like very bad stuff, like very obvious intimidation for each target. The website lists a collection of alleged DEI offenses, which includes donations to Democrats and social media posts having pronouns in their bio or previous work on since deleted diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives. Columnist Jamal Bowie says, quote, they are mostly targeting black employees, so this is quite literally just a repeat of Rigrow Wilson's segregationist purge of the federal government. And like yes, like all of this, all of this like push against quote unquote DEEI is like very clearly just like white supremacists segregation in action. Like this is the whole point is that if any employee is a person of color, that means that they that they must be unqualified because they were hired only due to DEI. And to avoid doing that, you could only hire white people. And Trump's Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy sent out a memo directing staff on where to direct like grant funds, and he said, quote give preference to communities with marriage and birth rates higher than the national average unquote, which is a very clear dog whistle to just like only hire like white Christians, hire Christians with big families, you know, parenthesis like white people. This is like very very obviously what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're I mean, this is extending to the military now under Hegseth, west Point has just announced effectively the banning of a number of clubs, including the Society of Black Engineers, which is like three quarters of a century old something like that, also ending programs that are focused on like recruiting into the military black soldiers but have like pivoted to recruiting from NRA gatherings, even though there's internal agreement that that brings in a lower quality.
Speaker 5: Type of saying I've seen CEMENTRA members.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've seen a few NRA members, right, and I yeah. And it's just one of these things, Like there's a very good book that I think people need to read if you want to know kind of the operational impact this is going to have, both on the US military and probably to an extent, law enforcement. We look at agencies like the FBI. There's a book called The Dictator's Army that heavily focuses on how changes like this impact operational if efficiency, And the gist of it is that the goal, and clearly what Hegseth's job is, is to make the military into something that can't pose opposition to the new regime. Right, that's the goal here, because there's a very realistic understanding that the military was one of things that stopped him from maintaining power in twenty twenty, right, both because the military was not willing to be used to crack down directly on protests and because General Milly acted as a barrier to Trump's attempt to do a coup. The last time, right, So you have an understanding which is very common when regimes like this takeover in democratic societies. In the early days of the Third Reich, the military was the primary concern Hitler had because they were not Nazis, right, they were conservative, but they were not in the tank for the Nazi Party, and there was a lot that he wanted to do that the military establishment at the time the Third Rich came to power wouldn't let him do. And that was one of the first things and this took several years, but that was one of the first goals of the Nazi regime and power was reforming the military as much as possible in their own image.
Speaker 3: And like so much of like what Heggs is doing here specifically with like the West Point like club banning. It's like like these things are not like DEI. These things are like very old. These are like pretty like standard standard things that have been like roped into like what it means to like be in America. And we're now just seeing this like crusade against DEI being used to just reverse affirmative action and specifically select for white Christian applicants. Yeah, and like that's the entirety of this point here, like they're they're using dei as like a like as this like magical wand to frame things that are like pretty standard and like accepted parts of like how you do like hiring practices, how you don't do discrimination to just specifically only only like uplift white Christians. And that's part of this like very basic like Christian nationalist project that people like Heritage have been trying to do for a long time.
Speaker 4: I think it's also worth noting too that like the other thing that this mirrors, you know and the like specifically in the way that this target's queer people is the Lavender Scare, which is a thing from like the sort of late forties through the sixties where the US is part of this like giant anti communist herge. It was on basically went through and found every gay government official and fucking ran them out. That's like another aspect of this whole thing, right, like the way these people understand the world. In order to sort of like purify their like white state, right like you have to get rid of the non white people, and you have to get rid of the queers and you know, and people especially people who are fucking both and so this is this sort of transformational project of changing this this sort of like just changing the composition of what the US is into like and how its state functions, and how they can to what like what level of violence they can bring about on people.
Speaker 3: And they've wrote these things together so closely now, like the anti trans like school executive order, only the first half the executive order was actually about the gender ideology stuff. The second half was aimed at curbing what they called discriminatory equity ideology d DEI. Basically it was proposing a program for quote unquote patriotic education across the country, basically trying to rewrite history to make like the United States like this like noble historical project.
Speaker 4: HU.
Speaker 3: It's like stuff that they've tried to do before with that, like a with that like seventeen seventy six project that The New York Times reported on. Part of Trump's order called for quote an accurate, honest, unifying, inspiring, an ennobling characterization of America's founding and foundational principles, a clear examination of how the United States has admirably grown closer to its noble principles throughout history. The concept of that commitment to America's aspirations is beneficial and justified the concept that celebration of America's greatness and history is proper. And then the order goes on to try to ban the concept of white guilt, saying that, like, teachers can get in trouble if any of their students and feel guilty about things that people of like that same race have done in the past, and like making sure that teachers do not teach things in a way that could possibly make us students feel quote unquote guilt.
Speaker 5: They use the word children actually not students, which like is fundamentally something we don't do in education.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: We refer to our students as students because we respect them as people. We don't think of them as like lesser than, especially when we're getting to the points where we're discussing things like race and equity, Like these are high school students, right, maybe totally we know we certainly do discuss these things in university, and like, it's fundamentally shows a complete lack of understanding of how education works to call them children.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think it gets to what this is actually about. And this is something that I would argue both Trump administrations were about right, if you look at when Trump like comes down the fucking elevator for the first time. So I think people may remember, like after Ferguson in twenty fifteen, there was Baltimore where there was you know, huge riots, massive confrontations with police, like massive educations, and that's the that's like the thing that really truly tipped like a bunch of the Republican Party even further right from where they'd been with the Tea Party into into this into sort of trump Ism. It was, you know, it was a reaction to that, and then this entire campaign right like all of the stuff that he's talking about here, you know, this is about twenty twenty, right, this is about reversing the gains that had beened, you know, and like obviously they were incomplete gains. One of the things that did happen was that a bunch of teachers were trying to change the way the US history is taught to reflect that this country was like again a settler colonial empire built by slave labor, and you know that that expanded its territory through genocide, which is just this is just objectively true about how the US started. But the thing is, like that's not good for you know, these people's projects, right, Like saying that out loud is a fucking issue for them. And so you know, their their attempt to roll back everything that was gained from sort of the Black uprisings is culminating all of this shit with like the purge of black workers for the federal government, with all of these things ordering you to and like that's why they're talking about all these weird all they keep banning all these weird like terms that don't make any sense, Like we were talking about like empathy, right, So like okay, so why the fuck are they talking about banning empathy? Yeah, because specifically these things come from the purges they've been trying to do in the education system, where they have a bunch of very specific grievances about like kinds of education stuff that teachers, the teachers were implementing, particularly in sort of like middle and high schools.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to close here with two pieces of breaking news. One, Like, earlier today we learned that the NAH has finally has finally acknowledged that the grant funding freeze is illegal. And this is probably like due to pressure from like news coverage about all of the temporary restraining order violations through the continued freezing of funds, and now the NIH is saying because of these orders, we will resume funding. The first tro was like two weeks ago, on February first, So it's not like like they just learned about this. It's that they have in some ways like perhaps caved to pressure. Again, like these executive orders do not enforce themselves, These are enforced by people at agencies. These things do do not do not become automatically enforced. So this is this is like one one step. Now you can go to a popular dot info who has been breaking the news on this specifically, and then some some breaking news that I have here on drop site quote unquote armored Tesla forecast estimated to win four hundred million dollars of State Department contract funds. What So, this could go one of two ways. This could either go a really funny way, Yeah it's gonna shay, or it could go a really sad way.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do. I do like the idea of a lot of Trump appointees being in Tesla's that are armored. When the batteries catch and maybe the jaws of life can't cut through those, You know yep, yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was. This is very funny because Trump went off on a on a contangent about electric tank horrible idea campaign trail a couple of times.
Speaker 2: Horrible idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well he's had he's had to come to Jesus moment and he has changed his mind and he wants a more sustainable sure beast as they call it.
Speaker 2: What everyone always says, the problem with tanks is is that they don't explode enough when hit by munitions.
Speaker 6: Or by themselves when not hit by being by themselves, just because batteries do that sometimes. Yes, yeah, you never know what you're going to get.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. This is going to make everything a lot safer for our our our men and women in Greenland.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing. Yeah, batteries.
Speaker 3: Batteries thrive in the cold, red, white and blue lip.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do love the new m one a whatever seven abrams that gets four miles on a chart. Yeah, and then again, detonates wait six months to use a solar panel to field recharge place where it doesn't get light for six months. Yea magnificent upwards of ten miles a year.
Speaker 3: Yes, yep, all right, Well that is it for us today on Uh, it could Happen Here? James Things. Do you want to talk about the tip line again?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So everybody, we have an email where you can reach out to us if you have things that you think we should be reporting on. It is a proton mail. That doesn't mean that it's super secure. It simply means it's sent to end encrypted. If you send from a proton address. The email address is cool Zone Tips at proton dot me me. You can send story ideas, things that you think we should be reporting on, things that you've seen that you think you'd like to draw to our attention to that email address. We will try our best to get through all of those. We've been getting a lot of tips. Please don't take a personally. We don't get back to you, but we do appreciate you or reaching out.
Speaker 3: We reported the net.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on me, iHeart radio, app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here. Listened to direct a clean episode descriptions. Thanks for listening,