Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: From Mahard were Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, Nbon. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline had a Bloomberg's World headquarters in New York.
Speaker 4: I'm Ed Dudlow in San Francisco. This is BlueBag Technology.
Speaker 1: Coming up.
Speaker 3: Full market coverage ahead. Stocks Crypto pushed a record highs. We'll discuss Bitcoin at seventy thousand, and the outlook for the AI rally as a video adds a trillion dollars to its market cap this year alone.
Speaker 4: Plus, we'll bring you exclusive reporting on Huawei's chip breakthrough, which used technology from two US suppliers.
Speaker 5: Details ahead.
Speaker 3: Microsoft says it's seeing signs hacker group Midnight Blizzard it's been attempting to gain access to its systems.
Speaker 5: Bloomberg Exclusive.
Speaker 4: Huawei and its partner Smick relied on US technology to produce an advanced chip in China last year, according to sources. The previously unreported information suggests that China still cannot rely entirely on its domestic supply chain and needs foreign components and equipment that's required for cutting edge products like semiconductor. The reporter that broke that news Bloomberg's Mackenzie Hawkins. We just showed the teardown video that Bloomberg did of the Huawei Mate sixty. It has this seven animeter processor from Smick. Smick used LAMB and applied Materials chip making equipment to do it.
Speaker 5: Tell me the rest. That's right.
Speaker 6: So this seventh animeter chip was lauded as a massive breakthrough in China. The US was trying to keep Bijing from getting seven animeter technology on the fear that it could give the country advanced AI capabilities that could lend it a military edge. And so we've seen the US implement this sweeping set of controls on the types of chips and semiconductor manufacturing equipment that can be shipped to China starting in October twenty twenty two, and the machines that were reporting were used to create this Huawei chip were shipped prior to that ban.
Speaker 1: But the through line on.
Speaker 6: This story is that despite Beijing's efforts to indigenize the full semiconductor supply chain and catch up to the United States, to the Netherlands, to Japan, these countries that are really dominant in the global chip industry to get to their most advanced ship, yet they still relied on foreign technology McKenzie.
Speaker 3: We know that the US is still applying pressure too well. Ultimately those other countries that they want to ensure that these sort of ways of ma navigating through the blocks don't still happen. They are turning to the Netherlands to Japan to squeeze even tighter. What then, of these indigenous make is over in China, won't of advanced microfabrication equipment then of Nara, Are they actually getting to a place where they could do it alone.
Speaker 5: It's an excellent question I had.
Speaker 6: Certainly the hope from the the Netherlands and Japan, which are part of this tripartite agreement to squeeze China on semicdector technology. They hope that the controls that they've already imposed will keep China from ever catching up. But the reality is there are significant differences between the controls imposed by those three countries. US firms are not allowed to send their employees to service equipment that's already in China, so these tools from LAM and Applied Materials, those employees can't go do repairs but their Dutch companies peers are able to in many cases, so there are still sort of big gaps that the US seeks to close between those three countries regimes. And then you have the US reaching out to South Korea and Germany, which are major or home to major producers of spare parts that go in chip making tools, to get them to join in on this accord and try to squeeze China further.
Speaker 5: So just really quick.
Speaker 4: At a point of clarification, that seven nanometers two generation removes from the cutting edge right three nanometer. But as you point out in your story, Mackenzie Smick obtained the lithography machines prior to that October twenty twenty two ban So I think there's more to go on this story, which I'm sure you'll look into, on how they get that domestic industry up to speed.
Speaker 5: Bluebogs. Mackenzie Hawkins terrific reporting. Thank you. Let's keep the conversation going.
Speaker 4: China is in the process of raising more than twenty seven billion dollars for its largest chip fund to date, accelerating the development of cutting edge technologies as it faces those restrictions on US tech known as the Big Fund the state back firm is expanding as the US prepares to sharply escalate technology curves designed to curtail Chinese chip and artificial intelligence progress. A tit for tat going on here.
Speaker 3: Caroline, and that investors have to navigate around. Are we still looking to put more money to work in companies that have significant exposure to China? Vida being one of them, has talked to someone at the cutting edge. Nacy Tanglin, piece of a joins our CEO CIO of Laffatanglo Investments for more. Also the author, of course, The Women's Guide to Successful Investing, You dive into where women must invest for their future. But most notably today you're joining from the CBOE a day after ringing the bell to celebrate not only International Women's Day but also the launch of your new ETF TGLR. We want to dig into the ETF in a moment, Nancy, but first your take on China US and how it factors into your investing thesis.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it's a tricky one to navigate, clearly, Caroline. Our portfolios have about three to five percent exposure in terms of revenues to China, so we've been very careful about it, and of course the companies that have tended to underperform in the last year have been the companies that do actually have exposure to China, not just in technology but across the board. So I'm not as concerned about the twenty seven billion dollar chip fund that China's starting. I mean, I think that's pretty much what Intel spent in terms of R and D and cap X last year alone. So it's it's it's a drop in the bucket. But you do have to be aware and conscious of the fact that there are going to be continued hostilities, if you will, trade hostilities, which.
Speaker 3: Might factor into whether or not we pull back from these record highs. Nancy, we are talking to you in the nasdacs at are record high. The S and P five hundreds that a record high. Global World Index set a record high thanks to the likes of Nvidia.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that we have.
Speaker 3: Bruelcom for example. I know you've sort of called it the pullman's version of an Nvidia, but there is some weakness in that name. After its earnings, how are you ranking the AI Frenzy and the chip names to be owning?
Speaker 7: So if I think I've shared with your investing theme is old economy companies that are embracing AI and then the suppliers of the pix and shovels. So we have been expanding our exposure. We trimmed back on many of the names, including Broadcom and palowout to Networks a number of weeks ago and then again yesterday, and so I think you have to be disciplined in this environment. We still own plenty, but we've been adding to names like AXP. I have a triple A or a cube stock pick for you, and it's American Express, which is using AI to improve fraud detection, and then Amazon and Adobe the unsung hero we think of AI. So you have to pick and choose and navigate around and really focus on domestic revenues if you can.
Speaker 4: The thing about Broadcom is it's not a maker of AI accelerators, right Nancy. It kind of It has a custom silicon business, makes TPUs, but it's really in the serve a design build out. You know, it provides networking tech. But they had this specific forecast that AI will be thirty five percent contribution revenue previously from twenty five percent. Does that signal anything bigger to you? About how how continued or sustained the AI buildout is going to be.
Speaker 7: I think, I mean, you have to piece together from a lot of different companies. But I think the security I have in owning a name like Broadcom is that it is hoktan is consistently underestimated. We were buying the stock at two hundred dollars a share when he did the Computer Associates deal, and everyone hated it. It was a creative in a year. So there's more to Broadcom than just AI. But if you look at the use cases almost you know, we're sitting on earning season, everybody's talking about it across sectors, but they're really using AI. And I think that's why I think this market is analogous to the nineties, because we are going to continue to see productivity improvements and that's going to drive stock prices higher. I would just point out I didn't answer Caroline's question. I mean, if you look at the all times highs, yes, that's true, Caroline, But over the last two years, if you went twenty two to twenty three, the Nasdaq was actually down something like three percent, So we're not in nosebleed territory yet.
Speaker 4: Well, the difference is the contribution from Nvidia and Videos at nine hundred and twenty seven dollars a share stock split, stock split in video, please.
Speaker 5: So you would favor that, you think you'll go for it.
Speaker 7: I mean, they've done it before, so I think it's likely. I think it would be great if Broadcom split as well, and some of these other stocks that traded these, you know, really high levels. It makes it harder to manage portfolios with them in the portfolio, harder for the retail investor. But you know, we'll take what we get. We'll take dividend increases, we'll take share buybacks, whatever it takes to drive the stock price higher.
Speaker 3: And let's talk about the retail investor. You clearly care about them. You've been writing books for them, and you've also been looking at well, now we've got an actively managed ETF coming from you at the moment, Lafeateangla equity income ETF quality large cap stocks have strong earnings and dividend growth potential. What is your edge here, Nancy? Where do you want to be showing an offering to this clientele?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this strategy is very different from what you would normally think of as an equity income portfolio. There's no electric utilities. We own one rate in the portfolio, but we buy what I call fallen angel growth stocks, and we do a lot of research because everybody knows the problems when the stocks are out of favor. So we have our own proprietary research model and our own proprietary valuation metrics, and that is the one we use in that portfolio. Is relative dividend yield. In these companies, management sets the dividend based on what they think long term sustainable earnings power is. So it's a total return strategy with dividend growth as the focus, and it's a great workhorse strategy. I have you the majority of my assets in this strategy, so you don't get to own some of the sexier names, but you do get really consistent risk adjusted returns that have been able to generate excess return above the benchmarks over time.
Speaker 4: Nancy Tegler, CEO CEO of Lapputengler Investments. Great to have you on the show on this Friday. In creats on the ETF All right, coming up, Microsoft says Russian hacking group Midnight Blizzard is making attempts to access its systems. We're gonna bring you all the updates on that story. Next, this is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: Time for talking tech.
Speaker 4: First up, Microsoft says there's evidence that information from an account compromised by a Russia linked hacker known as Midnight Blizzard was used in recent weeks to try and gain access to corporate data. In a blog post, Microsoft revealed that the hackers made attempts for some of the company's source code, repositories, and internal systems, but found no evidence that any customer facing systems were compromised. Plus semiconductor connectivity company Astera Labs is said to be planning to raise as much as five hundred and thirty four million dollars in an IPO. The Intel backed company hopes to tap into investor demand four artificial intelligence with a stock offering of twenty seven dollars to thirty dollars a share. That's according to a filing. The stock will trade on the Nasdaq and will debut under the ticker ALAB and Rivian hits the brakes, halting plans to build out a new multi billion dollar factory in Georgia.
Speaker 5: In a company.
Speaker 4: Filing, Rivian said the move will save the automaker as much as two point twenty five billion in capital expenditures this coming is Evmaker debuted its first mass market.
Speaker 5: R two model, which will now be.
Speaker 4: Made at first in its existing plant in Illinois. This was the Rivian CEO Carros sort of channeling his inner Steve Jobs. But the news was a change of plans.
Speaker 3: Who is charming the inner Steve Jobs with a surprise?
Speaker 1: Right the R two?
Speaker 3: Yes, we kind of had the leak on about the R three.
Speaker 1: What do you make of it?
Speaker 4: Yes, the R three is a crossover.
Speaker 5: They did keep it a secret.
Speaker 4: I'm so surprised it wasn't leaked frankly ahead of time. So it was kind of like the one more thing Steve Jobs moment. It's a prototype. It's a prototype right far in the future. But it did boost the stock.
Speaker 3: We'll see what the price point is. But what forty five thousand for an R two. We're starting to get a little bit more economical.
Speaker 5: So AI is.
Speaker 3: Helping drive stocks to new highs today, but there remains the ongoing concerns about its limitations, particularly when it comes to generator of AI and ethical standards safety.
Speaker 1: This is something I.
Speaker 3: Discussed with the CEO of Salesforce AI it's Clara Shee.
Speaker 1: Take a listen.
Speaker 8: There are so many ways of thinking about trust. It is something that I think about all the time. It's the number one company value at Salesforce.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to AI, I think we've all.
Speaker 8: Heard the stories of chat GPT and the various equivalent out there just making things up or spewing out toxic outputs or biased outputs, right because consumer chatbots are trained on the corpus of data on the Internet and so honestly, unfortunately in humanity, and there's a lot of incorrect, biased information out there, and so I think that's really the difference between consumer AI and business AI.
Speaker 1: Business AI is.
Speaker 8: Just unacceptable to make up an answer to what your sales forecast is or responding to a customer service request.
Speaker 1: And that's why our.
Speaker 8: Team, my team has spent so much time building out what we call our Einstein trust layer, So everything from data masking to citations, to zero retention prompt so that there's no data leakage, to keeping an audit trail, just to make it really trusted for companies.
Speaker 3: What about therefore, the developers you're then going out and talking to on a daylight today, why are they seeing worries about what they look like, the bias within what they're producing, or are you seeing a more diverse castic characters coming in building, particularly as you make AI easier with co pilots. The fact is that ultimately maybe we're not all going to have to be well code as let alone prompt engine is.
Speaker 8: I do think this is an amazing democratization moment for app developers.
Speaker 1: And I mean even.
Speaker 8: For years before AI Salesforce, one of the secret sources of Salesforce was it's no code and low code platform, which means that business analysts can build apps without knowing how to code, and even pro code developers who are really good at coding, they're able to use our tools to code faster. And AI is just an incredible accelerant and amplifier of both of these. And so today we had a series of really exciting announcements called our Einstein one studio that really makes it turnkey for any no code developer as well as pro code developer to use AI to build faster.
Speaker 3: Do you think that the AI systems that we're building right now are as diverse as the use cases that we're having and or are you worried about the bias that's in there, inevitably because of what it's ingesting.
Speaker 8: I think more broadly, we should all be very concerned about the AI model development and the regulation of AI not being diverse enough.
Speaker 1: And that's why I think it's so important for.
Speaker 8: Us to have rooms like this and dialogues like this to really ensure that a diverse set of perspectives are going into creating the AI itself, as well as creating the governance and the policies and the regulation around responsible AI. And then finally, AI is going to create tremendous wealth and value for shareholders, for stakeholders, for employees of these companies, for the people and the businesses that utilize AI. And we can't leave behind women in minorities in this value creation moment.
Speaker 3: My conversation a couple of days ago with the Salesforce AI CEO Claras, and we're going to dig in more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's stick with AI biased concerns and turn to today's Bloomberg Big Take. Our reporters have been working on an experiment to see if chat GPT has any discriminatory biases, finding in their conclusion that AI software can produce discriminatory results when prompted to rank resumes that are equally qualified.
Speaker 5: Let's bring in.
Speaker 4: One of those reporters, Bloomberg's Davy Alba. This is a must read, but it is complicated. Let's start with the methodology.
Speaker 5: First. Explain to the audience what you did.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for having me. So we carried out this experiment where we used GPT's API, and so we prompted GPT three point five and GPT four with eight equally qualified resumes, keeping all of the qualifications of the resume's equal equivalent essentially, And the only thing that we changed was the name.
Speaker 5: That was on top of the resume.
Speaker 9: So that name we derived it using mutational methods and made it representative of particular demographic groups. So we had, you know, either male or female, white, Black, Hispanic or Asian demographically distinct names, and we said it loose, and we basically had GPT rank these resumes thousands of times for four different jobs. And what we found was actually some pretty stark evidence of racial bias and disparities depending on the job that we asked GPT to rank it for, and you.
Speaker 1: Know, sort of the.
Speaker 9: Candidates that it was evaluating.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're looking for a financial analyst for example. As one of the examples, Yes, who ends up in probability coming out on top, who ends up coming off worst?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so that was one of our really good examples. You know, we found that black men and women were disproportionately ranked U sort of at the bottom. They were chosen as a top candidate the least frequently. And it was so stark that we actually measured adverse impact, which is sort of what the US federal agencies use as a benchmark to see whether a group is you know, badly impacted by a particular hiring process. And I wanted to add, this is not just theoretical that people are using GPT to use these to to use to sort of sort and rank resumes. We actually in our reporting found that a lot of businesses are indeed using it for this particular use case.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's it's.
Speaker 9: Important to consider these things.
Speaker 3: Open AI and response saying you're not meant to use chut GPT or GPT in our underlying technology, just straight out the box in this way, but still stark reporting from Davy Alba. We thank her and the team so much for it.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology Ed love Loow here in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline heard in New York.
Speaker 4: Let's keep today's jobs report in mind, but dive deeper into the tech sector angle to all of this and bring in Jacqueline Rice Nelson, CEO of the upskilling platform Tribe AI. Basically, unemployment two year high, but hiring continues. I'm going to try and make the jump to what's happening in AI in the context of that by saying there is a scarcity of roles or a scarcity of the skilled workers we need to meet that hiring demand in the AI context. Do you think that that's right?
Speaker 10: First of all, I'm thrilled to be here, and especially on a day that shows some of the potential of AI and value creation that I believe we will continue to see in the market. I think when you talk about AI and talent and opportunity, we can't really underscore that we're just at the beginning of this massive wave. And today we absolutely have steep specialists who have been living, breathing, sleeping AI for years. But what really matters right now is who has been doing on the ground generative AI applications built on top of these large language models. These models have only really been accessible to a broader population for a year, and so that population.
Speaker 5: Of people who really.
Speaker 10: Has the experience that companies actually need to do this well to do this right is limited.
Speaker 4: Okay, what is tribe seeing in the jobs market? We know jobs are being added added in this context or industry, but what are the roles?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: All these companies are saying we're using AI, but who are they hiring as a result of that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is an incredibly interesting moment because I believe we are kind of at a real inflection point where the conversation around AI has been around efficiency, around cost cutting, and potentially the fears have been around job reductions. And I believe where we're headed is that there will absolutely be efficiency gains, but that's going to become table sticks. Where we're going is AI used for innovation for product growth? Examples like Service now using AI and already being able to cite quantitative value that it has contributed contributed already millions of dollars to net new ACV. And this is where I think we have the potential to look at value creation from AI, not just on the bottom line and the top line, but also on jobs and opportunities for people that extend far beyond just the builders themselves, but also the people who are thinking about the commercial implications of these technologies, the legal and compliance implications, the operational challenges, the data and back end engineering needs. There's so many pieces that we're really looking at AI as a new wave to how do you develop products and how do you commercialize those products? And that's the interesting conversation.
Speaker 3: It's also therefore interesting that basically you've gone in with a consultancy model because it feels as though you have to be integrated into every single part of a business loan. I mean this is going up from the CEO and the CTO to basically people are going to be practically using this. How do you get that buy in from a company in every pot?
Speaker 10: You're exactly right, and I would actually say it starts even.
Speaker 5: Higher, which is at the board level.
Speaker 10: So right now, all the boards are yelling at their CEOs and saying, what's your AI strategy? All the CEOs are yelling at their team and saying what's your AI strategy?
Speaker 1: And everyone's saying I don't know, yes anything, less yelling.
Speaker 10: Yes, less yelling across the board. Maybe they're nicely asking, but the point is that every company today wants or needs to become an AI company, and they don't know how. And that's really where Tribe comes in. We can help meet and work with companies at every stage of that kind of adoption journey, and then work with them to build products that actually matter for their business, that really add real value to their companies, can showcase the success and make it really tangible rather than this you know, buzzword soup, and then get them on this sort of train or journey to continuing to invest in AI in ways that really makes sense and do real things.
Speaker 3: The demand is clear, and I'm sure your business is thriving on the back of it, but talk to us about the supply side issue. You've got to bring in the right engineers, who I am sure are being offered plenty of permanent jobs at extraordinary offerings in terms of their salary.
Speaker 1: Why work with a Tribe AI? Why be a consultant?
Speaker 3: Why be a freedom set?
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is a trend that I spotted years ago, which is that the people who really have the expertise, particularly in AI, have worked at just a handful of companies, Google Amazon, Netflix, take your pick, and not everyone wants to stay at those companies despite the cushy jobs and the large salaries, and especially right now in this moment of intense AI demand that you just described, the demand for these talented folks is off the charts, and so they have their choice of these very massive floated salaries right now at these big companies. But that comes with a lot of bureaucracy that comes with being tied up at that company and potentially some it IP constraints. You know that they can't really innovate outside of their jobs, and if they are independent, what they come to Tribe for is the opportunity to really plug in on work their best at to not do any of the like boring meetings and bureaucracy stuff, but do the hard engineering that they know how to do better than anyone else. Add a ton of value, and there's a lot of mutual value where companies are getting outsize value from working with the right AI engineers who have the on the ground experience to deliver value, and the AI engineers are getting tremendous learnings from working at the cutting edge and bringing these models to life in production at scale.
Speaker 1: Jacqueline Wie Nelson.
Speaker 3: So great to have you Onis talking about, well, the fixes that are coming and actually how you can try real productivity with all this AI hype. Just called CEO of Tribe AI. Let's stick with, of course, all things artificial intelligence, because it got brought up last night State of the Union, President Biden calling for a ban on AI voice impersonations, pass by partners.
Speaker 2: And privacilizenys to protect our children.
Speaker 5: Online partners.
Speaker 2: Primus to promise with AI to protect.
Speaker 5: Us from peril.
Speaker 2: Ben AI voice impersonations and more and keep our truly sacred obligation to trade and equip those we send in the harm's way and care for them and their families when they come home and when they don't.
Speaker 3: The President did not elaborate on the types of guardrails or indeed the penalties that he would planned institute around the rise in technology or look if it would extend to the entertainment industry.
Speaker 4: Ed right coming up on the program, it's been almost a year since Silicon Valley banks collapse. We're going to speak with ORAM CEO Stephanie Kirkpatrick about the lessons learned, what individuals and businesses have done in reaction over the last twelve months.
Speaker 5: Let's go back to Nvidia.
Speaker 4: Really quick, and the session high it was up five percent. At the session low it was down five percent. We're now off session lows, down two point eight percent. I think this is a pool back RSI at seventy seven. That means the stock is pretty over bought in Layman's terms. We talked about it being at a fresh record and now the idea that a stock split might be on the table to make it more accessible to the retail investor and more manageable for the institutional investor either way. In video euphoria continues. The stock is currently down two and a half percent. This is Bloonboo Technology.
Speaker 11: We're profitable in the US. We have, you know, very meaningful presence in the US. We have thirty million customers there. But at the same point of time, we are still zero point five percent of the total payments market. Yeah, you know, there's Visa, there's master Card, it's Ames, it's tremendous.
Speaker 5: Big companies plan a CEO.
Speaker 3: They're talking earlier today to our colleague Tom McKenzie, and we want to stick with a fintech theme. We want to look at what's been happening around the space, the recovery also since, of course, remember Silicon Valley Bank collapsed almost exactly a year ago. Joining us now CEO of fintech company or Stephanie Kirkpatrick more on what the businesses individuals have learned from this event. More broadly, how you're bringing faster transactions more deeply embedded into APIs that help businesses and consumers access their money that much faster. The joy of FED now not just crypto. I'm interested as we think about we're about to get a ton of media coverage on it being the anniversary, so lead the charge is an anniversary since SVB really showed and poked holes in some of the bank's ultimate business models. Here have we fully recovered of startups, fully recovered of people like learning from this.
Speaker 12: I do think that startups are recovering. I do think the banking system is looking a bit healthier than it was a year ago. And I think what we've learned from it is that for payments, for banking, the things that are systemically important to running this economy, whether it's the American while it's small businesses commerce, we get to a point where relying on a single financial institution is no longer sufficient. I think spb's collapse highlighted that even banks of a certain size carry risk, and so what we're seeing with our customers and the way we operate at ORUM is this opportunity to work with Tier one financial institutions, systemically important banks, and at ORM we now have recently reached a milestone where we connect directly to the Federal Reserve Bank as a service provider, which means that we're delivering on the complete promise of instant payments and for us, that means our customers who work with us for payments and in the lat of cases, faster payments, are in a position to have all of the benefits of lower cost, no downtime, smart efficient routing, and access to all Federal Reserve Bank transfer rails, in addition to a portfolio of notable banks that we work with in the Tier one category, thus providing that resiliency and redundancy that needs to kick in in the event that there is something unexpected in the financial institution space.
Speaker 3: It does seem though that we've ended up was leave leaning ever more on the too big to fail institutions. I mean, we think about it being the ghost of the past talking about Silicon Valley bank collapse.
Speaker 1: But we're still confronted.
Speaker 3: By commercial list say being an issue. I think a New York community bank called that just gotten one billion dollar injection. Have you felt that people are resistant to work with the smaller banks. Have you had to say, look, we are with just the tier ones now, you know?
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 12: I actually think that community banks, local banks, they do play a very big role and an important role in how we think about what's going on in financial services. At AURUM is the simplest API for fast, reliable payments and instant bank account verification. It's important that we work with and offer services to all size and scale of banks. How we provide those services is diversified, and I do think that there is something to be said for working with smaller banks who can provide certain types of you know, independent variables. Some of them have very discrete protections under durban regulation and other areas that provide higher interchange rates, things that are very good for FinTechs. For example, we're building in the innovative sort of economy. But to have a single point of failure in any system setting aside that is financial services is generally a risk, and companies, I think are more eyes wide open to the fact that having that risk is something that isn't as worth taking as it once was.
Speaker 4: Concentration risk, I think was the lesson from Silicon Valley's collapse right, and changes were made. People were open minded, as you say, to using multiple service providers. Has that made the market you operate in more competitive?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think what we hear from our customers and where we are often brought in to work with somebody in the payment's ecosystem for our products is at a scale in which a company says it's no longer a good idea to work with one bank or just with a single payment processor. And so we're hearing from every part of the market, emerging companies all the way to scaled financial services, software and technology companies that it's important to be able to diversify payments and banking traffic. And so yes, we do see more and more financial companies that work with us have multiple bank accounts, which we absolutely think is a great idea, and two that they're working with a company like Orum who can automate the process of how payments operate on the back end, it is two weeks or less to integrate to RAPI for fast reliable payments, which gets you RTP FED now ACHDMDSH wires all orchestrated, and it's usually two years to go directly to a bank, and so diversification is very a hard problem. Multi rail multi bank orchestration is also a very hard problem, and it's very high cost. So we want to do a sit in the middle of this ecosystem so that software companies, technology and financial services companies have the benefit of diversification. They don't get stuck with concentration, but they don't also have to spend two years and two million dollars achieving that when they can work with us in essentially a sprint or less of technology work.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, what data do you have about the financial health of those customers that you onboarded in the wake of Silicon Valley banks collapse.
Speaker 5: Well, what we see one you're own later.
Speaker 12: What I'm saying is just a big comeback right in a lot of ways, the venture capital market, the stock market, you know, lots of things are showing signs of optimism, and for us that is also a very optimistic part of beginning twenty twenty four with this new deliver product that we can offer to folks who are in growth mode. Connecting directly to ORM and directly to the Federal Reserve Bank means delivering on the instant payment promise and furthering our vision and helping our customers with delivering on time to value right time to money. Is a very hard problem to solve for small businesses. And you think about wage payout, insurance claims payouts, you think about logistics and factoring and trucking what runs our economy, and you think that most settlement has historically been five days on ACCH and now it can be twenty four, seven, three sixty five, literally round the clock on fed now and OURTP systems. We're a fundamentally different place, and our customers I think are really growing as a result of the capabilities that are available. And I think we feel great optimism as we had into the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember the fight calls and anxiety about moving money from A to B exactly a year ago or I'm CEO and President Stephanie Kirkpatrick.
Speaker 3: So green Bag just hosted its International Women's Day celebration in San Francisco that was on Wednesday, and indeed highlighted the philanthropic work the network does to train diverse business voices to be TV media ready. It's our new voices program. There, I had the chance to sit down with HubSpot CEO you how any Rangan to chat all about her thoughts about how she approaches running her business AI integration and diverse leadership and within her teams.
Speaker 1: Take a listen.
Speaker 13: Our leadership team is fifty percent women, and our board is sixty percent women and people of color. And our entire leadership team is forty nine percent VP and of OS forty nine percent women.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's accidental or you've been purposeful on finding those people?
Speaker 13: It is absolutely intentional. You know, I started in the tech industry in mid nineties and it did not look like this. And I think what we've thought about. You know, diversity is not an initiative, it's not an annual program. It just needs to be built into the DNA of the company. Why, because we build products to serve communities, and if we cannot represent how the communities represent themselves, then bias actually enters and we don't represent the views of our customers.
Speaker 1: And so for us, we've never.
Speaker 13: Treated, you know, diversity and inclusion and belonging as one initiative.
Speaker 1: It's just built into the DNA of the company. And it's been intentional.
Speaker 13: You know, twenty seventeen, the percent of women leaders was in the thirties.
Speaker 1: We've intentionally moved up.
Speaker 13: In twenty seventeen, the percent of BYPOC employees within HubSpot was seventeen.
Speaker 1: We've moved it up to over thirty five percent.
Speaker 13: And so it's been in intentional journey, but it's been just part of building it into the entire DNA of the company, from recruiting to hiring, to promoting, to coaching all of that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you look at your latest starnings, they've done pretty well. Can you prove do you have to show to your other stakeholders, not just your employee base, but the investor base and those that have analyzed your company that this is bang for the buck? Yeah, this isn't just intention for intention's sake.
Speaker 13: I'm done trying to prove, you know, diversity with data.
Speaker 1: We just need to be diverse. That's it.
Speaker 13: Like there is no you know, there's as an engineer and as a person.
Speaker 1: That's you know, really focused on data. This is one area that I'm not willing to go.
Speaker 13: There because there's enough proof if you look, there is enough proof. If you want, you know, the communities to be reflected in your.
Speaker 1: Companies, you just need to do it.
Speaker 13: If your product needs to be unbiased, you just need to do it. I don't think you need to tie performance to this.
Speaker 1: That's just you know, we're past that. I hope we're past that, but I am past that. I'm done.
Speaker 3: Hubspots CEO.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Amanirangan unwavering in her focus on DEI throughout the DNA of the company, but on this International Women's Day, that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. What a ride for the markets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what a ride, but really important in conversations throughout the hour, which you can recap on the podcast. We love that so many of you are going to the podcast for the show. Wherever you get their Apple, Spotify, this is Bloomberg Technology.