Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Oh, we made it to a Friday. It's hour two on the program. Come on in stay a while. The Gang's all here. Friday, Fritzie and rare Form is always it is a meat Friday, and it feels like Tyler mailed it in a little bit here, at least according to Todd Burgers and waffle fries. Who has it better than we do? Nobody? Okay, it sounds a little better, yes, Paulie.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, though, I don't sleep on a great cheeseburger and fries, especially like if you did that meal for when you're on death row, people will go lobster and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I might go.
Speaker 3: Half pound cheeseburger, fries and a doctor pepper is my jailhouse meal. I'm telling you thought, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: A cheeseburger, doctor pepper and fries.
Speaker 3: Hey, I don't have to worry about my health going forward. You know, a block an hour that might be my jail meal. Dagn What about Utah jail house meal?
Speaker 2: Two well done.
Speaker 4: Burgers, two hot dogs, French fries, and either a Mountain dew or a Doctor Brown's black.
Speaker 3: Cherry you're gonna die of something else before the electric chair.
Speaker 4: Exact burgers, hot dogs, fries, and black cherry or mountain.
Speaker 2: Dew uh seating? What about you death row meal?
Speaker 5: Mm?
Speaker 6: Probably a Rabbi baked potato. I really like broccoli, so why not.
Speaker 2: And some mint.
Speaker 6: Chocolate chip ice cream. I'm not really worried about the healthy. I just actually like broccoli. I think it's really good, so probably do that, but definitely some mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Speaker 2: Marvin, how about.
Speaker 7: You lasagna and garlic bread? Would a lemonade, no ice? And then to finish that off a Swiss cake roll from Little Debbie.
Speaker 2: That's pretty specific. Have you thought about this? Apparently?
Speaker 7: Maybe once?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'd probably go steak some pesto. Nice wedge salad.
Speaker 6: The goat wedge salad is the best of all salads. If you get a great wedge salad. I mean, it's just one of those where you.
Speaker 2: Go, go, this is awesome. It's the best.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then I probably wash it down with a nice bottle of wine.
Speaker 6: It's funny, I've had your death row meal with you easily one hundred and fifty times, and it's pretty good. That's like anytime how many times in New Orleans when we're there for the Super Bowl? Will you have that exact same meal many times?
Speaker 2: If if, if I can, but pesto, pesto is just that's that's just different. If I can, if I can get it, if they can make it. I went to Augusta when I played Augusta, and you you can get whatever's on the menu. But they have a chef. He'll come out and you know, if you say, hey, i'd like to have And so he said, is there anything that's not on the menu that you might want? And I said, you know what, I won't be back at Augusta playing you know this golf course, so sure I'd like some pesto. And he looked at me like awesome, Like somebody is ordering something that you know I'd like to make. So steak pesto and eighteen holes at Augusta. That's not a bad way to go if they let you do something with your meal on death row, like you could do something, Hey, you're going to get this great meal. What else do you want to do that day? That might not be a bad way to go out. Play an eighteen at Augusta eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show Yes, Paul, that was very random. I was thinking about Marvin's dish.
Speaker 3: He would get lasagna, which is great for leftovers, but not necessarily in this case.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, you don't know if somebody's going around going any did he leave anything? Hey, I can't eat all of this. You guys want to freeze this? Put it an refrigerator? Yeah, be good?
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: Poll question Seaton for hour two is going to be what.
Speaker 6: Well our one are extremely specific. Poll question was Texans aside if the Lions reached the Super Bowl, who should they want to face?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 6: The Buffalo Bills have forty three percent of that vote, the Kansas City Chiefs at forty one, just sixteen percent of the Ravens.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to David carrb NFL Network. We'll do the must win game of the weekend, Mike Florio, Jason Garrett. We'll join us a little bit later on as well. The updated odds for this weekend. You have Saturday Texans Chiefs. The Chiefs are favored by eight and a half. Commander's Lions lines favored by eight and a half. Then on Sunday, it's the Eagles six point favorites and the Ravens and the Bills. The Ravens favored by one and a half. All right, we'll get to phone call coming up. We have a poll question here, Paulie, would you run through now? Let me see how many games are outside? So we have the Chiefs game outside, the Bills game outside, the Eagles game. So you have the Lions game. We don't have to worry about the weather, right any other game where weather could be an issue. I did check though.
Speaker 3: The Lions it will be seventy two and no wins inside it will be okay, there's actual temperature the Kansas City game. It should be twenty three degrees a kickoff and pretty breezy. No snow expected. The Eagles game. They're expecting three to five inches of snow during the day and dropping temperatures around game time. It could be the lowest twenty degrees with snow for the Eagles game. And then the Buffalo game. They're expecting twelve degrees a kickoff and a forty percent chance of snow.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I like that. This will be the coldest game I believe Lamar Jackson has played in in his career. I don't know what that means. Does that mean there's more running by both of these teams? If it feels like these teams are running teams, even though Lamart put up incredible passing numbers, But it feels like Buffalo is a running team and they're probably going to need to be a running team. I don't think you can match Boltimore's running. But that's where Josh Allen comes in, and he'll be running and passing as well. I want to see Lamar Jackson play great if they lose, okay, but I want to see him play great. Same with Josh Allen play great. And then you know somebody else is going to decide that, or I hope somebody else does. Is it the defense, Is it a running back, Is it a wide receiver, is it a defensive back? Just something like that, because you get to this point, and Dana Orlovsky has been on this topic here for the last couple of weeks, where we put so much emphasis on a quarterback that when they, you know, team wins, they win. When the team loses, it's the quarterback who loses. But I would remind Dan that when quarterbacks win super Bowls, their team we talk about the quarterback winning the Super Bowl. We don't talk about you know, oc Jumanjura with the Giants winning super Bowls, right, Nobody says that maybe a running back a little bit. Terrell Davis, you know that that was his super Bowl, but we gave it to John. It was John Elways won a couple of Super Bowls. So, yes, there is a lot of attention, a lot of pressure, a lot of criticism, a lot of compliments. That's the position. There's no other position like it in sports. We do that with pitchers when we get to the playoffs. Now that they but they have the ball in their hands, just like a quarterback does. They still need a team around them. Score some runs, play some defense, all of those things. But we give credit to these quarterbacks because the quarterbacks are the Sean O'Hara offensive lineman for the Giants, he got two super Bowls. I believe he's not going into the Hall of Fame. Nobody says, hey, Sean O'Hara, he won two super Bowls. I mean Eli won two Super bowl Eli's going into the Hall of Fame because he won two super Bowls. These guys are making fifty sixty million dollars a year, and with that comes all the attention whatever that is justin Herbert. We may not he may not like it, or people may not like it or feel like we're piling on. He played poorly. He played poor in two playoff games, and you have to single you have to, you know, be critical of that. You know, I think it's sometimes it's too easy to go, oh, well, the defense let him down or his wide receivers let Yes, but it still comes back to the quarterback. These wins and losses are on a quarterback.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I go back to when the Falcons lost to the Patriots. We don't mention dan Quinn was the head coach. That was Kyle Shanahan, and that was Matt Ryan. They lost. Dan Quinn didn't lose the Super Bowl like but he did. He was the head coach. But it was on Kyle Shanahan. Oh, offensive genius, trying to pass, Why don't you just kick a field goal? Matt Ryan was MVP. It was on Matt Ryan. So yes, do we give him too much credit? Yes? Do we give him too much blame? Absolutely? Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And if Matt Ryan wins that Super Bowl, he's probably in the Hall. But now it's going to be it, eh, because that twenty eight three is going to be hanging over his head like a sore thumb.
Speaker 2: Yes, it might keep him out. A win would put him in. So that's that's one player who truly benefits from that. And sometimes you know with coaches, where you go, oh, he won a couple of Super Bowls and that can be enough to get into a Hall of Fame. Like if Sean Payton would win another one, or Mike McCarthy won other one, then no doubt their Hall of Fame. Mike Tomlin is probably going into the Hall of Fame. It feels like his resume matches Bill Cowers. Yes, Mark, And I think also it depends on where you win.
Speaker 7: I think Sean Payton's already in because he won with the Saints, and when I was a kid, they were the Aints. Put a paper bag over your head in the super Dome. So I think it's where you win that helps also big time. Like if Jared Golf wins the Super Bowl for the Lions, that's gonna help his super Bowl cause unbelievably.
Speaker 2: Greatly, his Hall of Fame, his Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Case.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, absolutely, yeah, I agree, Yeah, Paul, Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you look at Eli Manning's career, he threw for fifty seven thousand yards and three hundred and sixty six touchdowns. Matt Ryan threw for sixty five thousand yards and three hundred and eighty one touchdowns. He was one twenty four and one oh nine as a starter. Eli was a five hundred starter if you compare him, just that, Matt Ryan had a distinctly better career. Regular season and you know Super Bowls. That's over, Johnny.
Speaker 2: If Eli is one in one in the Super Mike Russell Wilson, I don't think he's a Hall of Famer. I mean the fact that without David Tyree that catch and then Plexico Burris, he's not a Hall of Famer. I don't think even doing it in New York with that last name Griffin and Cincinnati, Hi Griff, Good morning. What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Morning, Dan?
Speaker 8: And the dan etes Dan. I just wanted to get your thoughts on Don Yee saying that Tom Brady plans to finish out his contract with Fox, even though there's been a lot of chatter that this could be just a one.
Speaker 2: And done deal.
Speaker 8: And if you could put yourself in Greg Olsen's shoes. How would you take the news and what would be your next step?
Speaker 5: Thanks? Dan?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Griff. Tom Brady's Tom Brady's agent. I was told this this morning. Now, whether it's going to happen, he has to put out fires, That's what that comment was. He's putting out a fire, and maybe Tom does it for ten years. I was told it's too much money for a part time job for him to walk away. I was told that my source this morning. And look, I couldn't care less. If he wants to do it, great. Is he learning on the job in front of a whole lot of people?
Speaker 5: He is?
Speaker 2: Does he enjoy it? Does he want to continue? If I'm Greg Olsen, I just continued to do what I'm doing because you're the underdog, and people will they're going to think fondly of you, and they'll be excited. Probably when you're doing a game, they'll be by, Oh, greg Olsen's doing the game. But I don't. If Tom is doing it and doesn't want to commit full time to the Raiders job, okay, if he can do both, great. The NFL has already said we're looking the other way with conflict of interest here. They've already said that. I mean they are saying it by allowing Tom to be an announcer. And you got Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn who are probably going to be interviewed by the Raiders or held in high esteem with the Raiders for their head coaching vacancy and Tom is there doing the game. Feels like a conflict of interest there. But if the NFL is going to let him do it, he is getting paid thirty seven million dollars for just doing that part time basis, and maybe he does it for a little while longer. I thought, maybe you do it, prove that you can do it. You did a Super Bowl, and then maybe you move on to other things. But I don't know Tom, you know what motivates him. I just felt, if you're going to be an owner, and now you're getting the keys to being that owner with the Raiders, then you go all in. I don't think you can do either part time, but you have a better chance of being an announcer part time. It feels like than if you want to be all in as an owner. Because the Raiders need a lot of help. We'll talk to David Carr former number one overall pick. We have the most must win game of the weekend as well. We'll take a break. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us.
Speaker 10: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 10: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 2: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 10: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 2: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 10: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on Planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any the live show, just search Kobine on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich. We will play the most must win game of the weekend game coming up here in a little bit. Also an update, I did not buy my auger yesterday. I'm going to buy my auger today this afternoon. As I was held up. I had to do some things so I couldn't go out and spend time getting my auger. And auger is used to cut a hole in the ice if you want to go ice fishing or you just want to test to see how thick the ice is as well. But getting the augur later today and frozen lake Margarita's whoa, yes, So you use the auger, you take the ice, and then you make your frozen margarita while you're on the ice. Also, oysters rock of cooked on the ice today? No way, no, buddy. Yes, Paulie, did you and your.
Speaker 3: Wife get in an argument yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, chainsaw. I promised no chainsaw, but I'm going to go and get my auger later on. Today he's David Carr. You can see him throughout NFL Network Super Bowl Week coverage beginning Monday, February third, the former number one overall pick joining us on the program. What was the craziest thing in your contract that you were forbidden to do when you were playing.
Speaker 5: Us? Was not drive a tractor? And I had thought to myself, I would never I would never see a reason to be on tractor. I grew up in the social valley, but I just still I'm glad you actually took the time to define auger because I was sitting here and I had no idea what that was. So that sounds fun to me. I did ice fish in Minnesota at the Super Bowl one year with Glendsay was on the NFL Network and that was actually a blast. So enjoy your time today. That sounds fun.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Thank you, David. That's the only reason I wanted to have you on is find out if there was anything in your in your contract you weren't allowed to do. Was it written that you couldn't drive a tractor?
Speaker 5: There were several things in there that were very strange, and I think eventually the NFL finally figured out that guys are going to do kind of strange things in the off season. These guys have a little bit extra money, they have a lot of free time their kids. So they eventually went to like a blanket statement, if you get hurt doing anything outside of playing football, then that's it. And so that's kind of eventually what they went to.
Speaker 2: All right, let me start with the underdogs on Saturday. How did the Texans beat the Chiefs?
Speaker 5: You know, historically to beat Kansas City, it's you play shell coverage and you get after them with their front. You know, when you watch them play a couple weeks ago, Pat really was able to make some run. His legs didn't really have much, you know, down the field, so they had some opportunities to hit some plays they missed him, but he was able to break down the defense with his legs, and so I think that that that was really if you're if you're the Texans got to feel pretty good about that.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: They they held Josh Allen to nine completions. So this this Texans defense is it is not you know, it's not as bad as people might think. You look at their their team in general, and you think, oh, well they're taking a step back, and the CD he's not playing as well. Really, they just they kind of put too much on his plate. When I when I look at it, how they played offensive football last year, it was through the run game and play action pass, and Bobby Slow did a good job mixing that up and kind of keeping a balance. And when I watched him the first half last week, it was way too much drop back pass. I mean, it's just it's too much. And fortunately for them, they had the lead in the second half and they said, well, we're going to run the ball, and they ran the offense they should have been running, you know, the entire game and really the entire year, and they actually played better. So hopefully that kind of woke him up a little bit, like we have a pretty good defense. We can keep everything in front of us. You got to kind of withstand the first fifteen plays of what the Chiefs do that's to haudly won games this year. Honestly, they've got out on people and then you have Andy Reid you know, a week and those numbers kind of speak either twenty one force ins Philly with off week. So if you can withstand that initial surge and not let them get fourteen or twenty one points on you, then you got a chance. Man. But you got to play balance. You have to keeping in front of you. On defense, you got to get after Pat and then you have to you have to be affeccion efficient on offense, and that that means not dropping back to pass and putting your quarterback in harms way. I mean, you made a see you made a huge play the other day to kind of spark them off of like a fumbled snap. But let's not rely on that stuff. You got Joe Mixing for a reason. Let's use him.
Speaker 2: It's weird to say this. It feels like the Lions are under more pressure than the Chiefs. Does that feel good?
Speaker 5: Point?
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 5: Well? I think I think stylistically, when you look at what Jayden does and what what Cliff likes to do on offense, the you the quarterback in the run game so well, and he breaks the defense down. And when you play man coverage like Aaron Glenn, my former teammate in Houston, he's done a great job. I mean he's aggressive, he trusts his corners, but they play a lot of man coverage, and if you're gonna do that, you got to you got to be aware of the quarterback because if you don't put anybody on him, he's gonna he's gonna give you a problem. And all it takes is a couple of big plays, especially in a playoff game, to spark a team, especially a team that's in an underdog role, like don't let the quarterback run three or four times, and and sparked this entire team to give them hope. So I would agree with you. I think they're under a lot more pressure just from a style standpoint. So Aaron's gonna have to do some pretty unique things because that offense can give you trouble. It's not just to historically run the ball and the quarterbacks just bought a ticket and he's watching the running back run and this is he's involved in the run game. So I think that's I think that's gonna keep airing up a couple of nights this week trying to figure out if we got everything covered from a defensive perspective.
Speaker 2: And part of the reason why I brought up the pressure on the Lions is so close last year they're going to lose their coordinators. It feels like, now, I know they have everybody signed up here for for uh, you know, the next few years, but it just feels like this is the evolution. This is you lost in the title game. Now you're supposed to be going to the Super Bowl, and you know, like San Francisco, the same thing. You get that up, you know, but that window of opportunity can close pretty quickly. Sunday. How do the Rams beat the Eagles?
Speaker 5: Well, the Rams are at ten and two when Stafford starts a game this year. So they did like the reverse of what teams like, you know, the Dolphins of the same or like any of these teams they got injured, injury plagued and their entire rosters on ir they did the reverse. They kind of started hurt and they built up and kind of got everybody back, and you know, defensively, that's that's the best part about the Rams because they have Jared Versus. I watched him at Porta State and I just remember taking notes on him from you know, watching him for the draft. But this guy's a grown man already and he's very very football savvy, and all those guys across the board are They use a lot of line stunts and movement. They even stole some stuff from Aaron Glenn last week to kind of get pressure on Minnesota and kind of disrupt Sam. But they're playing great on defense and then offensively they're more balanced. But the crazy contrast and just even that last game like this is why I think the Rams have a real chances. They tried to pressure Stafford just like Sam Donald was under pressure and and Matt played great. He got the ball in his hand, he's effective, he got the ball where it had to be, and the guy can still play a high level. So I'm not going to count them out. The experience matter, especially on the road. Philly is going to be a tough out. I mean, because it's one and lost in the trenches. That's the one thing, you know, I watched, I watched, you know, just obviously the Saints go to Dallas and just run all over the Cowboys, and then the next week they played Philly and they ran into a brick wall. So that's I think that's the one equalizer is is vic Fangio's defensive line is really really solid and they do a good job and Kiren is really trying to take the loan as far as the Rams offense as far as you know, giving them positive yardage and if they can stop the run there and put it in Matt's hands, then he's going to have to make He's gonna have to make twenty five great throws to beat that team. So it's it's a challenge. But you know, their their offense in Philly isn't exactly you know, exciting everyone as far as away from Saquon Barkley, I mean Ajed Brown. Look when my wife brings a book somewhere, she's not interested. Okay, So when A J. Brown's on the sideline reading a book, I mean there's some there's some issues. So we'll see. Man, if they can make it one dimensional, they got a chance.
Speaker 2: Would that bother you as a teammate if you were the starting quarterback and you look over and one of your receivers is reading a book.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean they have tablets. Now you can like look at the plays with me. You know, we can we can sit here and figure out how we can get you space. I understand, like I when I saw it, I'd get it. Because the guys all have different ways to get them. I was locked in, Like, mentally, football is hard enough, right, so you have to find a way to from a wide receiver standpoint, stay stay locked in because I would rather him do that than make a scene on the sideline and scream with everybody because he's not getting the ball. I mean, I've we've seen that before too, So yeah, it's a little strange. The best part was when they asked Jalen Hurts about it, and he's like, I've never even seen him read like, well, all right, that's there might be a little beat there still, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's David Carr, NFL Network analyst. Why are the Buffalo Bills an underdog?
Speaker 5: It's it's it's scheme again. When you look at what Baltimore was able to do at Pittsburgh, I thought that was going to be a harder challenge for how they want to run the ball, you know what, kind of in their own runs with the three down defensive front, with those outside linebackers, they can kind of do a lot of different things. I thought that would be a tougher look for them. But from a scheme standpoint, this is a scary matchup for Buffalo because you know, Lamar was already danger enough, but now you have Dereck Henry, who when he was in Tennessee he faced more loaded boxes anybody in history. Like there's there there's one extra guy down there, because there just has to be. And if you don't have a conscious effort to stop him with extra hats, and he can he can take he can take like two or three steps and get some speed going. It's hard to stop him, you know, with the size that he has. And so but now you have this offensive system that I mean, Lamar's out out pocket passing pocket passers and so okay, he's gonna do that on top of Derreck Henry's in the backfield. And now it's not just like him like in the pistol running downhill. They got him next to him in the shotgun, which they kind of struggled with early in the year, but they found a real comfort level with him. And so for Buffalo at home, like it's it's still difficult because they want to play shell. They want to play shell defense, they want to rush for they want to keep everything in front of him. And that's that sounds great if you're facing a team that wants to take big shots and you know, you kind of want to get get the ball back and put it in Josh hands, but this team will just pound you like they'll they have no problem doing that. And Lamar is smart when he runs, doesn't take a lot of big shots, so Buffalo's gonna have to score with him, and Josh doesn't necessarily have Derek Henry next to him, so it's gonna have to be He's gonna throw the cape on every once in a while and make these superhero plays. And we've seen that go. You know, We've seen I go two different ways, you know at times. So he's been better this year's and more efficient. He's throwing the ball well. But he's gonna have to play a great game to be Baltimore.
Speaker 2: We as fans get caught up when we see snow or where we see a player's breadth that it's so cold there. How much of an effect do you think it really has that we might see snow in Philadelphia, maybe in Buffalo, cold weather in Kansas City. So it is a former quarterback, how much is that or should that affect you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, cold isn't fun, you know, but guys nowadays, like I talked to Derek a couple of years ago about this. He went up Pittsburgh played a great game. They throw like four hundred yards and like, dude, were not cold. He's like, I got a triathlon suit on under here, Like what And now now now that the secret's out for me, like I used to just have to deal with it. We had cotton shirts and we were freezing at all times. So I hated it and I don't like to play in it. You know. Now I will say, guys move, guys move slower. So really you think you can run the ball well, and you can, and guys don't want to really tackle guys like Derrick Henry and stuff. But but I think you can actually if if it's a little snow, yeah, you know, you can throw the ball. I think more than people think. I actually had. Brett Farve actually was the one that told me that. He's like, hey, when it's when it's snowing out there, dvs don't want to move there, you know. So there's an element to that. But it's still uncomfortable. Man, it's not fun. I mean, I it's beautiful on TV. And that's actually when my wife stops reading a book it's with snowing on the field, so she'll watch those games, so hopefully we get a little bit of that.
Speaker 2: If you were Dion Sanders and you were offered the Cowboys job, what would you do?
Speaker 5: Let's go? I mean, why not? This is Dallas Cowboys. So I don't I don't necessar necessarily know that that's the best thing. But I think I think does He does a lot of things that you could probably rub you away, But I think what he does is he puts a good staff around him, Like he reminds me of Dan Campbell in that way, because he is smart enough to understand that he can't micromanage everything. He's he's the leader, he's gonna be the emotional guy, and honestly, that you can do in Dallas than having someone with some energy and a guy that can kind of bring some life to that locker room because he's gonna put great coaches around him and he's gonna do what he can to motivate these guys and give him to play at their at their best. So not he took bad job at all, No way. I think it'd be great.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you as always, David. Hopefully we'll see you in New Orleans. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thanks buddy, Enjoy the auger.
Speaker 2: That's David Carr. You can catch him throughout the NFL Network Super Bowl we coverage Monday, February third Squeeze in a couple of phone calls. We also have most months win Game of the weekend, Sean, and Oregon is back. Hi, Sean, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 8: I got a suggestion for a poll question, and I think about things a little different. I put some thought into it a little bit, sometimes at least thirty seconds here and there. And I've seen what was going on with the Eagles and the Packers situation, with the fan base and those fans getting into it. What would people think about a dress code? It's where when you go in somebody stadium, you don't have to see opposing people people were opposing teams gear. I mean, I don't know how many season ticket holders and people go to a game want to see people walking in there with people wearing opposing team's gear. I think that would solve a lot of problems. They can come in there, I don't care what they care, what they do, who they root for. We don't want to see that stuff. We don't want to see your apparel. We don't want to see your gear in there.
Speaker 2: Well, you want to fly the colors. I agree with you. I've been in so I've seen so many situations where somebody will wear the opposing team's jersey. I've been at baseball games. I've been at football stadiums and people throw beers, they throw things. They make sure that they have an uncomfortable afternoon. You see people get blindsided in the parking lot. I mean it's ugly at times. And my son's a Packers fan. He wanted to go to a game in Philadelphia or the Jets or something. I said, nope, don't, don't fly the colors goes. Why not? I said, just don't, just don't. There's always going to be one person. And even Gus in La Gus in La went and he's a Steeler fan, went to the Eagles game and he said, as he's walking in the stadium with his Troy Palomalo jersey on, a guy came out of nowhere and was going to punch him in the face. And Gus is a big guy, he's bodyguard. But you just never know. Somebody gets a little in their cups and it's unfortunate, but you gone to those days where you go people used to go and suit and ties to baseball games in the summer. I mean, don't wear your uniforms, don't wear your jerseys, but if you do, just beware.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PAULI yeah, it's like something in theory. You would love to be able to create a rule like that, but no one can follow it. And the NFL would never create a rule that opposing fans couldn't wear gear because that would hurt them in sales. But it's also one of those things. You should be allowed to go to a game and be left alone. But there's no security in the tailgate lot, there's no security when you're walking in in the stadium.
Speaker 2: You're generally safe, but you could have something underneath so they could say, oh, he's got a a generic hoodie on. Then you get in there, all of a sudden your team scores, and then you all of a sudden you have your T shirt on. I mean, is it worth it?
Speaker 6: Yes, he'd well, I think I get that this is a little idealistic of me, But you know the problem isn't the person wearing the shirt. No, no, you know, so saying to that person well, it's your fault you wore it. Here is kind of the exact opposite of how you actually solve the problem.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't. We shouldn't put blame on the person who's wearing in the opposing team's jersey. But I think you got to be aware of the situation that's going to trigger something that you can be part of. You're not to blame, but you could be the victim with this, And I think it's just it's tough to tell people not to do that. There's certain stadiums that I would not do that, and I would not want my kids to go in there and wear jersey.
Speaker 6: Yes, he'd there was just an example of it with the Eagles Packers.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah and yeah.
Speaker 6: The internet has become such a funny place that within three hours of that game being over, the guy who was being super aggressive was found out.
Speaker 2: By the next day he had lost his job, and by.
Speaker 6: The day after that he had updated his LinkedIn to say that he's looking for work.
Speaker 2: That's exactly the way that you go about this.
Speaker 6: That's exactly the way that when people start to realize I bought this ticket, so that gives me the right to do anything I want whilst on these grounds that's actually not the case. And so the more that you out people like that and then yeah, get them fired from their job, get them to lose their house, get them to do whatever. Great, Absolutely, now you don't act that way anymore.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break when we come back, more phone calls the most must win game of the weekend. As we slide into the weekend after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: If you're in New Orleans. Super Bowl Week February fifth of Wednesday night at seven pm Local will be a Tippetinas in New Orleans. I'll be there with Dan Levittard. It's entitled An Evening where Dan Interviews Dan. Information on tickets can be found Danpatrick dot com and across our social media platforms. Here's something to keep an eye on. I don't know if it'll happen this postseason, but it could. The most receiving yards in playoff history. Jerry Rice is the leader twenty two hundred forty five yards. Travis Kelcey is three hundred and forty three yards away from breaking that record. Third on the list of most playoff receiving yards for a wide receiver. Paul Julian Edelman blue blue, blue, You did Yeah, you did it. That wasn't arousing round of applause? Was PAULI applauding for himself there? Receiving receiving touchdowns? Jerry Rice has twenty two in the postseason. Travis Kelcey has nineteen teen, who is third on the list most receiving touchdowns in the playoffs. Marvin Julian Edelman, No, Seaton got a guess for me. Is it for a wide receiver or is it just in general? It's in general? Rob Gronkowski bloop, Yeah, who said that? We're dumb? Lots of people, Oh, that's right. There are a lot of people, uh most most really, that's true. Tirac dot com the official tire expert of the DP show. Go to tirac dot com slash Dan try the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Yokohama tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tirect dot com The way tire buying should be. We'll play the most must win game of the weekend. In a moment here, let me run down the best games Texans and the Chiefs. The Chiefs won this matchup back in December twenty seven to nineteen, but the Texans were going toe to toe with them. Commanders at the Lions. The Lions defense has struggled at times due to injuries, and we've seen Jayden Daniels put up five touchdown passes against an Eagles defense. In Week sixteen Rams at the Eagles, Saquon Barkley had two fifty five on the ground, ninth most in NFL history. First time around with these two, the over under is one twelve and a half for Saquon Barkley. I'm going under Ravens and the Bills. Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen. That'll be. That's how it'll end up with the MVP race. The question is who can pull off this win in the Divisional round. Also, college basketball, number four Alabama will be at number eight Kentucky. Alabama is fourteen and three. By the way, John Calipari I believe is still winless in the SEC. At Arkansas. Time to play the most must win game of the weekend. Todd I'll start with you, if you're ready to go. Your most must win game is.
Speaker 4: I believe the Detroit Lions must win this game. They must win the whole thing, especially with their coordinators losing. They're going up against a rookie quarterback. You've better win that game against the Commanders.
Speaker 2: Seaton no counter the mm W got w.
Speaker 6: I think this whole season is a referendum on Lamar Jackson in his career. Every game moving forward to this, it's obvious these are all must win. He has to come away from ideally this season with a ring.
Speaker 2: He has to What if he just gets to the super Bowl?
Speaker 6: All right, that'll help, That'll definitely help for sure, for sure, Marvin mm W goot W.
Speaker 7: I'm with Fritzie. I'm going to the Detroit Lions. They've been the best team in the NFL all season in the LOS This game against Jane Dames in an upstart command that would be a terrible look.
Speaker 2: Paulie.
Speaker 3: It's the Lions. They can't regress, they can't bounce this early. They need to appear in a super Bowl to take a step forward. The other thing is if they don't win this weekend, they're offense and defensive coordinators, they're easier to hire.
Speaker 2: They're more likely to be gone. Oh a whamie they called it. Yeah, yeah, you'll you'll be able to interview them in person after this if they happen to bow out. I think it's Lamar Jackson. It's a person. But it's the Lions the team. I don't think they're the best team. I think the Eagles are the best team. Best team doesn't always win, but I do think that the Lions with everything they've overcome. And Dan Campbell's done a wonderful job and he's going to lose his coordinators. But we keep saying, you know, these teams are built built for the long haul. It closes quickly. You had the opportunity last year, you were up big and you let it slip away. You have to win these homes. That's why your home field advantage, and it is a true advantage in Detroit with that fan base. You have to win this game and then you're gonna have home field advantage after that. A couple of phone calls in here James in Virginia, Hey, James, welcome back. What do you have for me?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 11: Thanks for taking my call? Gentlemen, Happy Friday DP. Then that Solute the Commanders and what wasn't exciting week in the football Head. I can't wait for all the showdowns. I think there's gonna be a lot closer than the sprints for dick Man and the nickname I like for say Gilders is Sega man because like watching him is watching a video game. But I do have some breaking news this morning, DP, if I can get the sound to.
Speaker 2: Leave, James in Virginia breaking news.
Speaker 11: In August this year, we will be welcoming our second child DP. My wife is pregnant. Shout out my wife out east is there have it? And I'm not sure the gender yet, but very excited to be welcoming the second child into the world. Man, and I would say, he's giving me the time to share that with you.
Speaker 2: I would say Jaden would be a nice name for a boy.
Speaker 11: Yep, that's not bad, man. But I gotta I got a name. If it's a boy, I.
Speaker 12: Got to name him after my dad, Man James.
Speaker 2: Hunter, the fourth, James Hunter Junior, the fourth.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I say the same first name with my dad, but but we have different middle names. But it is ten years now since he's passed and I think it would be a great honor. And if it's a girl, we're gonna go with Isabella Anne.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well, congratulations James in Virginia.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, So if James in Virginia has a different middle name, he's not James Hunter the fifth, correct.
Speaker 2: He's he would be the third? Are you the third? James?
Speaker 12: Father is James Hunter the third? I'm James Michael. My mom didn't want me to be a fourth, but in honor my dad, I would have to name my child after him, for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, so your child would be the fourth. Okay, now we have that James in Virginia. What a great year for James in Virginia. Commanders playing well, playoff game, wife set to do due date in August. That's pretty good, good stuff. All right, more phone calls coming up. Final hour. We'll talk to Jason Garrett Football Night in America analyst, get his thoughts on the fact Jerry Jones could hire Deon Sanders. Mike Florio we'll join us as well and get an update on the coaching carousel from him. So it's the final hour of the program, just for this Friday, but the gang is here. Fritzie, It's Friday, Fritzie Seaton, Marv Paulie, Yours truly the back room guys. Check out the Gambling podcast. Shayan Irving roughed me up. He was so upset that I keep defending Mike McCarthy. So Upset. Gambling Podcast available at danpatrick dot com. Final hour on This Friday on the way right after this