Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal Hell that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Ato State?
Speaker 1: Is that? Whoo whoo? And them and tie Dan Rubinstein. The calendar has officially turned to July.
Speaker 3: I notice.
Speaker 2: I notice because ESPN updated its college football standings page, which I that's it might as well be like somebody in Bristol or whoever runs their website, like we're seeing a lot of unusual activity from the north shore of Chicago because I'm on that page every day, Like, oh right, Cincinnati's in the Big twelve. Oh right, Army made the move to the American Oh and so like when we are thinking of show topics and like organizing teams and players and coaches and storylines in our head. I'm at the age now where I just have to like I might print that out like we used to print out map quest pages sure in the nineties, and just tape it to my wall, like I'm investigating college football and draw yarns from team to team because that is extremely my page.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I've been going to that page now, Yeah, for the last five months, waiting for him to update it. Yeah, the new conference structure and all that, just as a reference point. Like you said, we do this show sometimes you got to call up a page quickly just to remember who is where, especially now with everyone being elsewhere this season. And yeah, so officially ESPN has updated it. You know our adage here on the show, at least my adage. Once you turn the calendar to July, that is the official start of the preseason. Yeah, once we get into July, that means we're going to start doing conference and team previews among other podcast episodes here over the next six weeks or so.
Speaker 2: Nobody pres like the solid verbal tie. Nobody pre's like the solid verbal.
Speaker 1: This is one hundred percent true today is kind of the preamble to the.
Speaker 3: Previews creator free yeap.
Speaker 1: Which we can discuss momentarily. If you are new here, Hello, Welcome.
Speaker 3: To the verballerhood.
Speaker 1: I'm Ty He is Dan, Hit follow, hit subscribe wherever it is you're getting this podcast. All are welcome in the verballerhood. Of course. Verballers dot com is where you can go if you want to be a superverballer and be part of our Patreon community. Dan and I are deep in the lab right now, working through what our benefit tears will look like in this twenty twenty four college football season.
Speaker 3: We'll flip those on a little bit later in this summer.
Speaker 1: Still a little early, yeah, start talking about things like that, but we're working on it. We will get back to as soon as we can. At a verballers dot com, Dan, what is this episode today? Exactly?
Speaker 3: It's too glad you asked two parter.
Speaker 2: You know how when you're at a party and you meet your usual suspects and somebody works in finance, somebody works for blobby bla, somebody's a teacher something. You're just like, cool, great, nice to meet you. That sounds cool. But then you come across somebody who says, actually, technically horse dentist, right, And then you say to yourself or you say to that person, I have so many questions. How does one become a horse dentist? Do you have crazy horse dentistry stories? Do you know other horse dentists? What's the horse dentist community?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What are your hours like? Specific breeds and types of horses? All horses?
Speaker 3: Do you go donkey like?
Speaker 2: There are a lot of questions when you come across something that or somebody that is particularly interesting. And so now again nobody praised like the solid verbal as we enter into preview season. This is not a preview episode, but this is just back of our head what we've been ruminating on, what has been keeping us up nights when we're thinking about the Mountain West, what has been keeping us up at night thinking about Arkansas's twenty twenty four. And this is just the questions we have, the stories we're interested in, and not just like can Texas figure out its defensive line? That's not that kind of thing. More just like, hey, is Texas going to be like still good or like stuff like that, which maybe it's that vague, maybe it's more detailed, but it's it's what has been keeping us up nights.
Speaker 1: It is for sure what's been keeping the question, to say the least. I mean, as we get into full on preview mode here, I think the intention is we're actually going to answer some of these questions or try to answer some of the questions we have now. But being so, it is a little bit early. Being so, we're just trying to get reacclimated with who's on which teams, which teams are on which conferences, things of that nature. These are the questions that I think, as you said, are been keep not only been keeping us up at night, but definitely things that are of most interest to us that we're going to focus in on a little bit more once we get into preview mode in like a week or two, we can.
Speaker 2: We're breaking it down by all sorts of different regions, conferences, teams, stories. I don't know where you want to start, but I feel like we should start asking.
Speaker 1: We should what is of all the questions that you jotted down? So we full disclosure. We kind of split this up a little bit. We went conference by conference, We did a group of five, We did some bigger picture college football stuff sort of all over the map. We had so many questions that we decided fairly early on, with this, of course being the week of July fourth, we're going to break this up into two episodes and make it nice drawn out week of tie and Dan questions that we need to take our teeth into figure out more about. On your Google doc, what is the question that you have lost the most sleep over?
Speaker 2: I wrote down what do I do with my love for usf lasts longer than four hours?
Speaker 3: I have a USF thing here too.
Speaker 2: I don't know we want to start there, but man, Alex Golish and I staying up nights thinking about Byron Brown. He's really fun. Actually, maybe we don't start there. Okay, So I was assigned or assigned myself the see we can start there. So these are my big picture conference questions and you can decide which of these you want to attack.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is your choice. Okay.
Speaker 2: What will the SEC feel like without Nick Saban? What are just the vibes going to be? Because even with Georgia's recent success, Nick Saban is unquestionably has been the alpha of that conference for as long as basically we've been doing the show. And even as Georgia has been that alpha, h Nick Saban beat him twice in the SEC championship games Nick Saban in Alabama.
Speaker 3: Sub question to that, how will he be on game day? Hmm?
Speaker 2: Will he be a goofball when they're doing like a weird cheese it mask thing with Pat McAfee, Like, what vibe will Nick Saban bring to the game day set? I think that's kind of interesting. Which team had it good in the old SEC? Or will we feel that about come you know, Halloween time that because they were in the SEC East and their schedules maybe have been fortunate for whatever reason. Now that the SEC is a more wide open schedule, we're like, oh man, they had a good maybe not so much anymore. And vice versa. Which team in the West will we look at their results and say, wow, must be a breath of fresh air given this new conference structure that they don't have to play X, Y and Z every season.
Speaker 3: Divisionless now yeah, divisionless?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is there a program in the SEC that will become a program that just sort of is They're not amazing, they're not terrible, Like who are the candidates to just sort of exist and coast along? Like they plug holes when there's a leak, But they're also not zooming on anybody. Who will be the first media member to gleefully tweet quote, welcome to the SEC. When Texas or Oklahoma struggle, I've got my candidates. I'm sure you do too. Tie one hundred percent certainty. Final big picture SEC question. This one it sounds like a goofball question, Tie, but I think there's actually it's grounded in reality. Will there be a Mowana two SEC tie in resulting in the ultimate long play Solid verbal ripoff comes out in November, comes out November tie. It's not even that much of a joke question because Disney SEC ESPN Duane Johnson former Dwayne the Rock Johnson, Mowana Miami defensive lineman. Like, I'm thinking, it's entirely possible that given what the SEC is going to rate in October and November on ABC, we're going to get some sort of se some clunky SEC promotional time. We've seen it with what Marvel and the NBA Finals. We have, right, we have that is the big headline Disney release, Disney Animation release this fall. I'm just telling you right now, we're recording this once again July first. Nobody preas like the solid verbal, it's entirely possible if we get a Mowana promo spot, our social mentions are going.
Speaker 1: To break the platforms. Yeah, on which we get them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. I'm just telling you now, if you're going to see Nick Saban put on h Moana mask on game Day, it will be the most full circle solid ripoff moment that has ever occurred.
Speaker 1: There will be a moment where the third quarter is sponsored by Mowana two in theaters.
Speaker 3: Now, of course, of course there will be.
Speaker 1: And it'll be best when Sean McDonough does the promo Moan.
Speaker 2: Too Molana Dell and then now, yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: I think the question to me that jumps out the most outside of the Mowana one is the void left by Saban. Yeah, at Alabama. And I've been saying this exact same thing now for months on end. After the Saban news went down, and after we heard about him going to Game Day and Kaylin de Borr was hired, We've had all these things that have transpired the last six months, seven months or so. Sabin leaving that conference, I think creates a huge void. And it'd be easy to sit here and say, well, obviously Georgia is going to fill that void. Kirby Smart is kind of like the heir apparent Sabin in terms of true alpha's in the SEC. But it's just really hard to fill any void left by the greatest coach in the history of the sport. And I suspect if you're a team that has Alabama on its schedule routinely, I e. Auburn, I suspect teams like Tennessee that are accustomed to playing the Sabin version of Alabama. I suspect that those schools are jumping up and clicking their heels together that he is no longer there. Even if Klin de Borr steps in and is the same coach that we came to no and loved last season at Washington in a short time at Washington and elsewhere, even if he comes in and is very very good, he is still not Nick Saban. And I suspect to have plenty of success. I don't know if anybody's going to have a level of success that Saban had. It's just so well do And so for sure there is a void. For sure, that is something we're going to need to cover. And for sure there is something there with respect to what is Saban going to be like on game day? Speaking of vibes, I think he'll be quite good. I think he's always been good on TV. I think that's part of the charm and part of how he was such an effective recruiter at Alabama. He knew how to handle himself in front of a camera. He had a ton of polish, even when he was doing those postgame interviews. You remember when he would do these with like CBS or wherever. He was one of the only coaches I could recall who had the wherewithal to not look at the person interview him here and there, glance at I'm act as if you care, but he's looking right at you camera number one. Yeah, right, he's talking right to you in your living room. This is a guy who knows how to handle himself in front of popular media. So I suspect to be very, very good in that regard.
Speaker 2: But TV's different. TV is like he's gonna have to be entertaining quickly. He's going to have to make a point and support it with likability, even if he's saying something bad about your team. Like it's a different animal to speak in those types of bursts. Right, Leek Horso has had his stick. Pat McAfee has his shtick, you know, Desmond Howard is smiling and has his thing. Kirk Herbstreet has this thing and has a sense of humor. Right, say whatever you will about Kirk Kurbstreet, if you love him, if you don't like him, whatever. He's been around forever, everybody has opinions of him. But he leans into the game day vibe, and so I think that's going to take a minute for Nick Saban to just sort of pick up on chemistry wise as he enters into something, however, many decades in.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's all fair.
Speaker 1: But I'm really curious to see what that dynamic is like, definitely, because typically when you've got a guy who's had such a long story career like Saban, when you put a guy like that in a booth and you give them an opera in a studio in this case, and give him an opportunity that just sort of upload all of their information to you, you get a lot of really interesting nuggets out of that. And I think Saban's going to be really, really good in that role. I'm excited to see what he can do. And this is not somebody who watches a whole lot of college game day or knows by the time Saturday morning rolls around, or sort of run a little bit ragged from all the prep that we do in the span of a given week. But Saban being there, at least for the first couple weeks, I think is going to be a nice little draw to get you and I tuned in and specoring how well he does.
Speaker 2: And there's the really interesting and I think makes game day more watchable than it's been recently. And I don't say that because I dislike anybody on game day or anything like that. I just my life has changed to the point where I don't want, don't have the time before the games to really watch a pregame show. The Tony Romo thing where he's played and game planned against so many of the teams he's now analyzing so recently that it's going to change three or four years down the road or anything like that. But like Saban's intimate knowledge of not now Texas obviously having game planned for them last year, but the SEC and you know, big teams that he's game planned against in bowl games, playoff games, whatever.
Speaker 3: Bring that, Yeah, he can absolutely bring that.
Speaker 2: It's you look at the rest of the game day set and they either haven't done that recently or the guests don't feel free to speak freely about those types of things. Whereas Nick Saban, even though I'm sure he's loyal to coaching, friends and stuff like that, Like, here's what you have to do when you play against Tennessee, here's what you have to think about in the back of your mind. If you're a linebacker playing against you know this guy at Texas A and M. So, that to me is pretty fascinating and makes it more watchable.
Speaker 1: Who is the SEC team though, that's gonna just puts along.
Speaker 3: It's going to coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my guess the most competent, like aggressively competent, but nothing like terribly above that or terribly below that is probably Kentucky, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I'm looking right at it. I was thinking Kentucky. Maybe Auburn in a year or two.
Speaker 2: Like Kentucky may have missed its window to have that. I mean like they had a special year a couple of years ago, three years ago, now, whatever it was they had that special year. I just think their opportunity to have that special year every so often, that window may have closed. And it's quarterback dependent for them. And maybe that quarterback you know is on their roster this year. But if you're not a Brock Vandergriff believer in this moment, it might be hard to see a Vandergrifter excuse me that they're not necessarily recruiting on the level like look happy to be wrong, always wrong. We had a you know, a longer Kentucky conversation earlier this year but that to me is going to be the interesting element to all of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see I can make a case for Kentucky. I guess I could make a case for Auburn.
Speaker 2: Ole Miss, by the way, is the flip Ole Miss could be the big beneficiary with how aggressive they've been in the portal not playing every SEC West team, And we'll see what that actually means in practice moving forward. But I think they're probably the big winner out of all of this because they don't have the annual rivalry with Alabama. Mississippi State in the short term is rebuilding like they're I think in a really nice place. But I also have with Ole Miss in terms of a question.
Speaker 3: I have here.
Speaker 2: Let me make sure I get my word incorrect here. Oh man, where did.
Speaker 3: I lose there?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: Will it ever get better for Ole Miss than it appears to be right now? And like the old Andy Bernard quote, I wish there was a way to know you were in the good old days when you were actually in them before it's too late with what they bring back, with what their schedule looks like right now, with where their rival is in terms of a rebuild like this is kind of a great time for ole Miss, and I hope they appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure they do.
Speaker 1: Ole Miss, I think, is one of those teams that we have mentioned frequently in the off season as Yeah, definitely a beneficiary of the expanded playoff system. The path is wider. I keeps saying that, I feel like I've broken record, but the path is wider for teams like ole Miss, or Tennessee or Penn State or Utah. Like there are a great number of schools now that the combination of going division lists and most of these big conferences, with the expanded playoff field, which is going to expand again, mind you in two years, right, that serves to benefit a few programs in particular. Yeah, and ole Miss is definitely in that conversation for sure.
Speaker 2: I do wonder though, with regard to Lane Kiffen, if he sees this as everything's pointing to this year and if ole Miss really does break through, if this is what he uses to sort of vault himself to a new place that he does it. He's been very outspoken in terms of like, look, we take advantage of it, we do right by this current system, but it's terrible for the sport and that maybe he wants to go somewhere where he can both leverage it and get a fresh start and not have to deal with the amount of incoming outgoing as Ole Miss has to deal with sometimes.
Speaker 1: I mean the question I would have to that though, which big jobs are going to be coming open?
Speaker 3: Which big jobs are on the precipice of fuddy you never know?
Speaker 1: You this is college foot well, you never know, and especially in this era where I do think playoff qualification is going to stand for a lot. Maybe Florida. I don't think Florida wants Lane Kiffin. I think they want Jed Fish. I'm going to stick with that until it happens. But outside of that, which seems to be a fairly obvious opening at the end of this season, things go the way we think. Sure don't see a whole lot of those marquee jobs that are out there. Doesn't mean they won't come open. Yeah, just doesn't seem obvious to me at this point. Lane Kiffin is going to have his name in the ring of some other opening at some point down the line, whether in college or the NFL, because he has done a good job building Old Miss up. I suspect this is going to be another successful campaign for the rotally, so he'll be in that conversation. Just doesn't seem obvious to me at this juncture who that's going to be.
Speaker 2: But that's a whole thing, that's the whole sport. You never know which coach is going to get on a motorcycle with a former volleyball player during the summer, right, you never know, and that and when that happens. Laane is there, Laane is there? What do you got for the ACC? The ACC the All Costco Conference. By the way, it pains me that when we did our episode a few weeks back talking about the All State twelve or the Big twelve All.
Speaker 1: State or whatever. Yeah, Brett or Mark is thinking of naming this thing. It pains me that we did not mention the All Costco Conference. We talked about it in our slack channel. Yeah, we we have been making that joke for the last couple of years. And when the rubber really met the road and it came time to roll that joke out in a more official capacity, we forgot to. I forgot I just listened to a four hour podcast about Costco. By the way, nobody is a bigger Costco expert in this moment than I am.
Speaker 3: By the way, I have questions about other teams in the SEC.
Speaker 2: Not to backtrack, oh, the SEC, but I thought that was all you had, that those are the big picture conference.
Speaker 3: Oh continue, then I'm sorry again.
Speaker 2: I'm being introduced to a horse dentist and I got to go down a path. Ty, you tell me. I mean, is there a team in the SEC that you would like to talk about?
Speaker 3: And wonder? What my question is? Did you do every team in the SEC?
Speaker 2: I kind of I think I did? What are your We don't have to we don't have to go through and talk, but this is where I stand.
Speaker 1: What are your questions about Florida?
Speaker 3: Could it?
Speaker 2: My question is like, are we like doom dooming Florida right now and our heads too much that like, could Florida be like a really fun candidate, Like they're not going to be great, but they could go eight and four in an entertaining way, maybe save billion Apier's job. Like they're they're kind of my ZAG team, Like everybody's shoveling dirt on Florida, Like what what does it look like? What does a Florida Zag look like?
Speaker 3: This year?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I thought I wonder, do you a little bit, because there have been plenty of instances over the last couple of years where you look at Florida and you know that there is plenty of talent on hand and they haven't always been super organized. But we thought maybe bringing billion Api or over would would help with that to some extent. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't. We can talk about that more when we get into preview mode. But the talent is never really in question, and I think Graham Mertz is serviceable at worst. He was pretty decent last year all things considered. Obviously, this team's got a ways to go with respect to consistency not shooting itself in the foot. But it's not too hard to squint and see that Florida zag as a possible I mean, it.
Speaker 2: Sort of is given the schedule, but we're assuming things about the schedule. There are good players that play for Florida. There are reasons to like Florida right now. It's just the vibes don't seem strong.
Speaker 3: The vibes.
Speaker 1: The other team that I have thought a lot about going into this conference is Oklahoma. Yes, because the schedule's brutal, it's because it's a that I have a lot of respect for. I really like brand Venables. I think they do it right. I think the structure is there, the stability is there on the administrative level, which oftentimes is overlooked but definitely is worth its weight in gold. It's just going to be really hard for them to maneuver their way through the schedule unless they unless Jackson Arnold comes out and blows everybody away, and unless the defense steps up in a very very significant way takes a more significant step forward.
Speaker 3: Not unlike what they did last year.
Speaker 1: They're better last season, but they would need to amplify that by at least two to three times better.
Speaker 3: If they come out.
Speaker 1: And go against the schedule like this, take that big step forward, that in and of itself would be a huge story. But I just don't know how confident I feel in that right now.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to go through this quickly. Okay, I have pop with Oklahoma? Like where does the pop come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like, basically, can Jackson Arnold be as excellent as he probably needs to be? They've addressed receiver, offensive line took a step back, whatever, But like that's the big thing with Oklahoma that at their best even in the Brent Ventables era with Dylan Gabriel. It's the pop that has really secured them those big wins, and so a lot of questions. Oklahoma are very excited to see it. Other side of the ball for Texas is my question, like, was Texas big twelve good or are they just good good? And that I think a lot has to do with like BFD questions right that Texas fans of freaking out about you know, defensive line depth and star caliber talent this past year, you know, hitting the portal hard, trying to get guys in the recruiting cycle. That to me is something, well, you know, big twelve good versus good good?
Speaker 3: How about this one?
Speaker 1: Ty?
Speaker 2: Can Kalin de Bor build a race ready boat in Tuscaloosa? And by that, I'm using the phrase boat race because Washington won a bunch of like weird clunky games last year they did. You can't do that in Tuscaloosa.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You can't just get away with beating Arkansas thirteen ten every year because you will start losing thirteen ten as well. No, so that to me is interesting. I have down here is Mike Elko America's most helpful hardware store employee that you go to a hardware store and you're like, all right, here's what I'm working on with my deck, and I am just lost. And then there's there's a guy named Steve and he's like, you're looking for a reverse box sander and I know exactly where that's in row fourteen and a half. Right that Mike Elko, with what he's done as a coordinator and in a short time at Duke, can he given what A and M lost, given who he hired in a good way, given what they return on this roster, because there's still a lot of talent on this roster. Is he somebody that can go in every single room at Texas A and M and be like, this is what I expect out of you, and you're gonna run this kind of route and do this with your shoulder and listen to the receivers coach because this like, is he the most helpful hardware helpful hardware store employee in America?
Speaker 3: If I do like that, I was just at the hardware store the other day. Did you have a helpful employee?
Speaker 1: He may actually have been named Steve too, with every single hard work with the vest on, Yeah, with the vest very helpful.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, what you're looking here, you're looking for a finishing lacker, and what you're doing right now is you're looking for a soothing lacker, and it's totally different things. You would never want to use that on a deck. I just made up all of those.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 2: Can Mississippi State quickly become fart spray?
Speaker 3: Fart spray? Yes, Mississippi State continue.
Speaker 2: Their schedule is super sandwichy and they may not be good, but given the speed at which they're probably going to run their offense, they get a bunch of teams right after, right before, like in awkward spots. Can they be that disgusting spray that you see on social media being used at like fast food windows?
Speaker 1: Far I have not seen this social media trend.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's horrendous. It seems horrendous, but that's what I'm looking forward to. They're not going to be good in the short term, but they have like a bunch of advance spots on their schedule this year.
Speaker 1: I feel like all the all the hawk toot stuff has crowded out any kind of farts.
Speaker 2: I don't understand that reference explain it in detail tonight.
Speaker 1: We'll continue.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, much quicker?
Speaker 2: TI Are we sleeping on the fact that it's reasonable to look at Nico being a superhuman bound for New York.
Speaker 1: I texted with friend of the show Tim Murray A Viisen, Yeah this weekend, and he's all in on Nico. Ah Man, I feel like I'm in on Nico too, just unlimited highlights that I saw from the spring game. Definitely looks the part. Definitely looks the part. Seems as if he gives that offense a little bit more flair. We won't know until we actually see him out there in September. But like if you're a Dolls fan, the combination of again wider pathway in combination of going to Visionless, combination of getting this new hotshot quarterback, there's a lot to be excited about. How does that materialize within the context of their schedule and their conference and where Tennessee isn't national conversation that is a conversation for previous season. We get into our previews talking about Tennessee and all these teams.
Speaker 2: Really I have down here for Miszoo that is there a team that is more qualified to be the SEC's if should team, if Miszoo is in fact Miszoo, they should win this game. If Missoo is in fact Miszoo, when you look at their schedule in mid October, they should win this game. Right That to me is I would think, yeah, that is my if should team LSU is super fascinating. I mean everybody like I have down here for LSU, like they're the multiverse team of the SEC. That I could give you five different, fully distinct journeys that LSU has through the SEC schedule and you would hear me out.
Speaker 3: And be like bick to that.
Speaker 2: It all makes sense, totally, totally reasonable and my favorite one of all tie. And I'm not going to dwell on South Carolina. We've done, We've had South Carolina conversations. I want Vanderbilt. And my question is should Vanderbilt fully lean into being the SEC's snake bite program? Do you know what a snake bite is with regard to NBA players. I know, I only learned it this morning, so I give you full credit.
Speaker 1: I know I know what it means to be snake bitten like Mark pryor totally former shot that cub snake bitten with injuries and that sort of thing. But beyond that.
Speaker 2: No, Sometimes you hear about players being dirty in the NBA, like everybody's like John Stockton, totally dirty player, and you're like, but how why he's John Stockton. A snake bite is when people are setting picks, or you're setting a pick or whatever, when when you're in closed and you're boxing out for rebound, you basically aggressively pinch somebody and the refs don't see it, and you sort of, you know, you know how you pinch somebody, use two fingers, you know, your index finger, your middle finger and your thumb, and you just drive it into somebody's you know, the meaty flanks of their body and pinch and it's super dirty and awful. I want Vanderbilt, you know, running more options stuff with Diego Pavia. They should hire somebody like Don Brown to run their defense whatever. Where they're just the most annoying, possibly dirty team in the SEC that I hope is zach.
Speaker 1: Given like their squeaky clean image of academic institution that may or may not have the stadium.
Speaker 2: Jerry Kill coming in as like a consultant and offensive assistant or assistant head coach Timback, but not the Tim Back coming in as the new offensive coordinator. So it's like the the zach kittleisation. Yeah, from Houston Baptist to Western Kentucky. I think from a few years ago Bailey's appy. So they're like bringing the whole crew back and now to Nashville. Like, could they just lean into the like villainous whatever, nothing matters. We might all be out of a job in a few months. Anyway, Let's get real dirty. Let's play in the mud with everybody. We play can engauge it in the mud and the blood and the beer?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 2: Could they be that for me? We shall see.
Speaker 1: Shall we talk about the ACC next?
Speaker 3: I think you had the acc and I did have.
Speaker 1: A west Like, where do you want to go next?
Speaker 3: While I'm on a roll time? Yeah, while you're on a.
Speaker 1: Roll, give me a few more questions that are really keeping you up at night?
Speaker 2: Will we get incredible travel graphic maps during these games?
Speaker 1: I have in part two when we get to part two of this, Yeah, I have a similar thought.
Speaker 2: Like it's I don't know, like fran Brown's head atop a cartoon plane traveling across and back and forth the United States. We're gonna get a lot of those like this is how many miles Virginia Tech has traveled this year?
Speaker 3: A lot of spreadsheets, making the rounds on college football Reddit, that type of ying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which new team will make the biggest dent in the ACC? That they will be the ones knocking. I don't know if any of them will make a big dent, but if there is a team Stanford, Cal SMU, the most obvious call is SMU because of where they were last year. But they haven't necessarily built Power five lines all the time, so that could be a new thing for the Mustangs. And to what extent will Florida State and Clemson litigation wanting to leave the conference the future of the conference? How much of that will hang over the conference this year? I suspect not a ton unless there is like a decision legally or there is a major move forward in there, because I just kind of suspect when the football starts, it's largely going to be about football. But that's what I kind of have right now with the ACC. And I have individual team questions, but in terms of where the ACC is now, that's what I'm thinking about.
Speaker 1: You know, the one constant over the last couple of years as being a college football fan and podcasts like you and I are. Yeah, it feels like every time we let our guard down and feel like every time, oh okay, we have clarity on this. Now we can move on. Every time, especially in the preseason, especially through July and August. It's happened the last two years. Now it feels like you can let your guard down. It feels like you can look forward, get ready for the season, and then we have these weird college football administrative business what have you stories totally separate from anything that takes place in the field. We have these stories that sneak up on us. And that's not to say that the Florida State and Clemson litigation unc well, they won't they are they interested in this? Are they not? Like That's not to say any of this stuff is for sure going to like come do in the next few weeks. But the ACC seems like it's in a really weird place in terms of stability. They're adding numbers, I think, to insulate themselves from any sort of future exit. Right at the same time, it feels like among the power comp which is that we talk about here, they are the one that is the most vulnerable this day and age, given everything that's going on. So I don't know if there's more news that comes on any of those fronts, but the ACC seems like a likely candidate for late breaking business news that again up ends our entire vision of what college football is and was and will be next Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, look, we're due for any sort of it's college football. So as we enter July August, like, I just will never be surprised if four days before the season starts, Smack Brown retires, right that, Like, there's just going to be something like, oh, he's done.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Not a break will be that thing, right because there's a thing every year like that, Yeah, what will be that thing that we got to break into kind of our normal schedule and record an emerge a pod or something because people want to hear about this this news item.
Speaker 3: There will be that thing.
Speaker 1: I you know, whether it's the ACC or not, it remains to be seen. But I'm mindful of this now. I had been burnt too many times. As we said, Earl, I'm ready to be hurt again.
Speaker 2: I have is Dabo the worst hardware store employee in America. He's he's the Brent, He's the Gary where you're just like no wrong Isle, Like, no, we don't. We don't carry lugnuts Gary in what still ales Clemson? And last year it was on the road. It was the horrific start against Duke with the red zone struggles. It was just not looking right against NC State. It's not finding receivers, it's not utilizing the portal, it's not you know, winning winnable games like it's it's all of the above with Clemson, and honestly, like I think we collectively sort of it's it's become a little bit overblown. Clemson's I mean, they went eight to no in the ACC two years ago, right, but there's just expectations that you know, Dabo himself set the bar, and so I just wonder with this year's team, well, receivers be there, offensive line, you know, winning those close games, not losing to like Miami in overtime and a dumble like all that stuff that, Like do you have a handle on your patio?
Speaker 1: Dabo, Yeah, doesn't doesn't know what ale the laquer is in, but definitely has some thoughts in the political climate, like.
Speaker 3: That's what you'll get the lacquer industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you if you ask Dabo a question, where's the lacker? You're you're going to get a little bit more than you bargained for. Yeah, absolutely, nice, nice guy. Don't give me a nice guy. But isn't as helpful as the aforementioned Steve with the vest.
Speaker 2: You asked him about wrenches, and instead of telling you which wrench to get and where the wrenches are, he just has thoughts on the idea of using a wrench.
Speaker 1: The idea behind the wrench. Yet right, exactly you know where the wrench started? Exactly?
Speaker 3: I have down here? Is col playing the weirdest schedule in America? They kind of are. I don't know if you looked at it, it's so weird. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: I have down here. I just don't understand the luve. Does that make me a bad person? I don't know, but I've been hurt before by the time because experience.
Speaker 1: Is this because of the conversation we had on our bonus episode about Papa John's Instagram feed.
Speaker 3: Oh it is a great feed. Let's be very cool.
Speaker 1: He quotes himself probably not a great guy, maybe not, but quotes himself every third Yeah, posting.
Speaker 2: I have down here? Winning as a skill? Is it one Brent Key possesses m I wonder about that, losing close games, winning close games, Like, will they win close more than they lose close this year? Like with the experience they bring back, especially Haines King.
Speaker 1: We're really high on Haines King here on this show. Yeah, we're King makers.
Speaker 3: I'm a little bit.
Speaker 1: Worried about how high we are on on Haines King.
Speaker 2: I have Can Manny Diez be defensive? Tedford like he just needed to find his place, right, Jeff Tedford found what the San Joaquin Valley Fresno State now different parts of their lives, of course, but like given the pressure he faced at Miami as a head coach, getting the time at Penn State, given that there won't be nearly the pressure at Duke, given that you know so much of the roster has turned over, a new quarterback, knew everything like well, Manny Diaz find like a niche in Durham. Oh, I mean, look in the way Mike Galco did, but not at a different stage in their careers. The question for me with Duke, yeah, undeniably is Malik Murphy. I am so excited to see Malik Murphy. I'm so excited to play with Malik Murphy in the New College Football video game. I'd love to see what his stats are. Maybe somebody has them.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I haven't seen him, but he seems like if he is as advertised and we only saw him here and there, but he looks like a god among insects. He is a monster of a kid. I am dying to see what he can do in the ACC. I mean, if he is half as good as we thought he was going to be last season, again limited action, I think he could take that conference by storm. It could be very interesting, especially if they have that defense.
Speaker 2: I have, well serious, well serious, Will Syracuse be the ACC's weirdest team, Like, given how they're probably going to play on both sides of the ball, given Kyle McCord, given you know, bringing back an old transfer in the secondary from you know, to LSU, back from LSU, all those types, like, will they be an extremely weird team in year one under Fran Brown?
Speaker 3: I assume yes. I assume yes.
Speaker 2: Like I assume Syracuse will beat somebody terrific and inexplicably lose to like a clear non bowl team by twenty That's what I assume Syracuse season in year one, Fran Brown will be like, I have down here, what is this year's nine and three flavor for NC State? Boison Berry losing on a fake field goal? Like, what is their nine and three flavor? How do they get to nine and three?
Speaker 3: Yes? Like it's preordained, right, it's it's been.
Speaker 1: You're almost reverse engineering because you know how it's going to end up.
Speaker 3: Correct. It's just a matter of how are they going to get there? NC State?
Speaker 1: To me, if I'm being honest talking about Malik Murphy, the Grayson McCall thing has, oh, of course captivated me because I thought he was going to leave before last season, not to say he was going to go to NC State, and I think there were like Florida rumors. I think there were Auburn rumors for Grayson McCall. It didn't obviously work out. He stuck around with Coastal Carolina, got hurt, didn't have a great year. But now going to NC State, it feels like there's a lot there for the taking for him and his old play call, or as at least his old offense with Jamie Chadwell when he was still a Coastal that was so much fun to watch. I'm just curious to see how they tap into the skill set because he's a dual threat kid. He obviously has a lot of talent. We didn't see a whole lot of it last year because of injury and the offense as a whole. But I think NC State's got a really good opportunity with him, and you know we did that. You can go back and listen to the NC State specific episode we did. There's there's a lot to like about this team, and so I'm a little bit fearful that NC State is going to be one of those teams I have one one or two in each conference where I'm just ridiculously high on a team. I look at the schedule, I look at the roster. I'm almost blinded by those two things, and then I can't see past it. NC State might be that kind of team for me this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll win at Clemson. Plot twist M Night Shamalan, M Dave Shyamalan lose to Stanford and Calan back to back weeks. Right, that's you know, that'll be the fun plot twist for NC State. I have down here. Can Virginia quietly shift to winning close exclusively through speed with your former favorite notreed aimer Chris Tyree. They kind of lost a bunch of close games last year. They did, they did Virginia, and I think they're gonna go with what Calandria now at quarterback full time. I think we'll see, but I don't know it'll be exclusively through speed. I don't think they're gonna have a defense. So that's kind of interesting to me. Can we all just watch wake Forest highlights from six or seven years ago?
Speaker 3: I have down here?
Speaker 2: Is Virginia Tech real or fake? Good SMU right place, right time? Things seem bleak for Pitt. Does that mean they'll be weirdly nine and three, ten and two this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Speaking of reverse engineering the none and three? Yeah, how does it happen that Pit goes not? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They feel it feels crazy bleak. Now they hire a new offensive coordinator, they're going to try to play fast. I think Nate Yarnell's promising. They return a bunch of guys on offense. But still, and maybe it was just a like last year thing filled Yourkovic vibes were down, vibes were terrible. But I don't know, man, things seem very bleak in Pit.
Speaker 1: I just remember some of the conversations we had about filder Kovic, and it wasn't so much you and I as it was people on our discord at for bowlers dot Com and the way that he went from promising transfer to backup order back to oh no, like he's just like not gonna play anymore.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was such a stark contrast from start to finish that I'm not sure I ever gave myself a chance to live it down last year. It was kind of a wild turn that I didn't see coming. He's from that part of the country, He's from Western ba Like, it just really stuck up on me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna fully cop to something. I at one point decided to start toying with the idea of convincing you that J. T. Daniels was still playing for a number of teams and seeing how far down that road I can get to with you. But I decided not to. The other thing I have is I feel nothing about Boston College.
Speaker 3: Will that change?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Jeff Hafley left. Now they got Bill O'Brien. I think that makes them interesting. It makes them makes them a point of conversation. Got the local kid back in.
Speaker 3: They're running shop chin dimple.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That seems just like like we kind of know how this is going to end. Like Boston College maybe is that team that upsets somebody but still goes three and nine. Like, it's hard to see. It's hard to see the recruiting going in a fun, interesting place that they're competing with, you know, big schools for guys in PA or New Jersey or something like that. I just I don't know. I kind of think it's a lose lose situation. So those are my ACC questions.
Speaker 1: I do like Thomas Castellanos, their quarterback. He had a few good games last.
Speaker 2: Year and I have score sixty points a game.
Speaker 1: B see, they will need to score a lot of points. Yeah, before we go on to part two here, do.
Speaker 2: You have any acc questions or anything like that that to bookend.
Speaker 1: I mean, my big one, My big one is Malik Murphy. Beyond that, it was Grayson McCall and I think beyond that, if we further zoom out, it was what you mentioned at the very top, and that is just the longer term sustainability of the conference and what kind of weirdness comes as a result of it. You know, like when we start seeing things through the lens of money, Yeah, you get really weird, interesting answers to like and everyone's got their own answer for how they're going to like move forward in this new era, right everybody. It means different things to different programs, different people, But it just feels like this is a great recipe right now for really bad ideas, and I put it past exactly nobody to come up with them. I'm gonna talk in part two about brett Or Mark. There's a lot of time left between now and the start of the season. Brett Or Mark's definitely got that bone in his body where he can come up with another Taco Bell canteen, a moment sure to make the Big twelve a little bit more of a sideshow, right Like, He's he's got that in him, and I fear there are a lot of programs and administrators and guys with dollars signs in their eyes who have potential to do just that. Before we start this.
Speaker 2: Up, I left off Miami and Florida State. By the way, Miami is my acc if should yeah, look, if Miami is Miami should win this game, that game, this game, that game, especially given what's on their schedule where those games are played.
Speaker 3: If cam moart is cam Wart, if he.
Speaker 2: Is everything that we have heaped onto him, yeah, should win that game rather comfortably. Miamis Miami has to be the.
Speaker 3: If should, the Classic Ift should?
Speaker 2: The Classic Ift should. And then for Florida State, I'm just wondering why it's DJU. I'm just still kind of wondering why they Florida State looked at the landscape, and I know, I truly think that if Florida State is excellent this year or even just really good, I think it's an incredible reflection on Mike Norvell and the job he will have done by that point, given what they lose. But they've recruited very well or decently well for Florida State, and there is star power at various places on this too deep. But I still wonder why that was specifically the move, and I guess we'll find out for better or worse this year. I just feel like we've seen enough of him to sort of come to the conclusion about what he is or is not, and I feel like Florida State being on the edge of the playoff and now certainly a program that should consider itself playoff contenders annually. Given what's going to twelve and then fourteen, I just wonder why they didn't go a different direction but always wrong. So I don't know. I think that's my acc And along with the sort of allusion to Mac Brown of just like is this are we just at that point of the Mac Brown experience at a different place?
Speaker 1: With Carolina is a huge enigma. I have no idea what to make in North Carolina. And again it's early. We haven't fully done the research in any of these schools, but North Carolina, I have no idea what to expect from the Tar Hills.
Speaker 2: I can tell you what to expect from Max Johnson. Oh, he will make three throws every game in which use after which you say to yourself, holy cow, that was incredible. And he will make three more throws in that same game where you will say to yourself, holy cow, why oh why did he ever consider even trying that?
Speaker 3: Right? That's how you hear about quarterbacks who can make all the throws. You can't, no, no, he can.
Speaker 1: It to be understood, Yeah, he doesn't make the throws the way Quin yours makes the throws. There's a lot of pop gun arm in there. He's carrying the mantle for one Bryant monies the all time great pop gun arm.
Speaker 2: But he's had some disappointing offensive lines in front of him. He's had something like.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: But he's serviceable. You know, he's serviceable.
Speaker 1: He can run an offense. He gives you some stability. It is kind of an in between time now with losing Drake May before him, you know that they've had quarterbacks come through North Carolina and be very marketable to the next level. But it's a question of is there enough balance on the team beyond those quarterbacks to really get the job done. Defense, for example, has been ever the issue, and now they're going to need to rely I think a little bit more on their defense to keep them in games because I don't know if Max Johnson's going to give them the same firepower quarterback.
Speaker 2: He will give you the correct change at the hardware store. Correct, Okay, same page.
Speaker 1: So look, we're gonna get to part two here on our next episode. You and I both also have G five thoughts, not the least of which is the USSEF stuff. Yeah, very high in USF this year. I can't deny my feelings any longer. We can start off the next episode talking about that in some other G five schools. If you're okay with that, of course, I am hit, follow, hit, subscribe wherever it is you find this year podcast. My name is Ty Hildebrandt. As always he is Dan Rubinstein for Ballers dot com as our Patreon, follow us on social media. Welcome to the good fine month of July, where we start previewing teams. This was the preview to the preview Part one, Part two coming up in a few days.
Speaker 3: To meantime, stay solid, peace,