Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back.
Speaker 2: We're black, we're brown.
Speaker 1: Ambition, ambition, ambition, ambition, ambition. Normally I would say, hey, manager, how are you? But unfortunately Mandy's out said today she's not feeling well, she's got to she actually lost her voice. But y'all got me. You know, I'm loud enough for the us, both of us. Well, I'm super excited because we have a special guest in studio today. If you listen to our Baqa's which air on Fridays, literally mean that was a little rye.
Speaker 2: Baqa's airs on Fridays.
Speaker 1: You know that we answered a question from a gentleman named mister Kid aka Kevin about concern he had about his wife maybe not taking a job that she was more than qualified for and why.
Speaker 2: And so we got miss Kevin together, we are here, I'm together, and his wife co signed. She was like, who said that? I didn't think that I was ready? I may not want to know it. And so it was awesome.
Speaker 1: And so we actually invited Kevin to come chat with us today so we could talk money and relationships and career and relationships and just all things, you know, So welcome, Kevin.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing fantastic, fantastic, I get to defend myself, okay, because listening to y'all have me afraid for my life. As I listened to that podcast, I was like everything I see, I was in love and I'm listening back like like that.
Speaker 1: So maybe for those who didn't you know, didn't get a chance to listen to that BAQ and we should put the link. I'm gonna ask you MANI, our producer, to put the link to that episode in the show note, so you guys can listen, but maybe just give us a brief overview of like what, what why you wrote in and what happened after?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, first let me just tell you I really discovered you ladies listening to Cumulus Radio and those wonderful commercials y'all were doing on Cumulus. And I was scrolling through Facebook one day and I saw the budget Neasta reads DR, and as a DR devotee, I was like, well, let me go see what she's us saying about my boy DR. And I listened in and I was like, nothing she said was off base or you know, she made valid points, and then I just got hooked from there.
Speaker 4: And in terms of that letter, though.
Speaker 3: You know how your spouse comes homes and they complain about work every day. Anybody ever have that, Like every day there's a complaint like they should do this, they should do that, they should do this. And that particular day, I was sitting right where I'm sitting right now, and I had just had enough. I was like, I need help because this isn't a toxic job. This isn't, you know, an overly stressful workplace. This is a place that loves her, adores her, wants her to do the best. And I was just confused, like, why aren't you taking this money? They are literally throwing money at you.
Speaker 4: Take it.
Speaker 3: And when she didn't take it, I said I need some help. And that's when I wrote into it.
Speaker 2: So what was that?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: What do we tell you? Kevin? What do we what do we? What we have we had said to you to make you say all right?
Speaker 4: So let's go through it.
Speaker 3: So first, Kevin is a very common name, man, and if you recall, you were like, Kevin, I know you're not using your real baby. But then from there, y'all gave me some of the most transformative advice. You know, my marriage has leveled up. I'm not using hyperbocly. I'm not speaking, you know, in exaggerations. We literally met leveled up because the advice was one, shut up and listen, right, And then two the advice was understand that some people know that enough is enough for them, right. And listening to you talk about your experience with your husband, Jirelle it resonated so much with me because you were like, I was like, he needs to go get it and he can be that's me, that's me.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Tina, come on, they can do this, they can do that. You can do this, You'll run the whole department, right, And she's just like, no, I'm good. Right.
Speaker 3: So from there, you guys really leaned in on talking to me about how my wife could be a.
Speaker 4: Role model already.
Speaker 3: And that's why I really wanted to confront Mandra because I thought she was gonna get me killed.
Speaker 1: Because the fact that like, you know, you know, her taking this like higher level position, you know, would you know, would just increase would she was that she would be a role model to you or you have a daughter, right?
Speaker 2: And then so many yes.
Speaker 1: And because we can all go about what you right now, Kevin, you know what I'm saying we can't remind and thought some players, and so Mandy was said that you know that basically your wife as she is is already a role model. She doesn't need to have a big, fancy job in order to do so. I know that wasn't your intention, obviously, we know you know, but I wanted to It's because when we just know that when we're answering these letters, Kevin, it's not just for the person writing in. It's for the whole of the audience who might be you know, thinking, you know, thinking that you know that like somehow that just because you can do something means that you ought to you know, that more is more, or thinking that you know, I ought to do something so that way my children can then look up to me. And we want to dispel those things. You know, we weren't trying to get on you. Well we were a little bit, but we weren't trying to fully get on you because we also wanted to say, like, you know, let's dispell that you have to do. You know, you could be a stay at home mom and a role model. You can be a teacher in a role model, you can be you know, a president in a role model.
Speaker 2: You know, but it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Being a role model is not about these external validating things, you know, It's really about how you navigate as a person through life.
Speaker 2: And so we just wanted to make that clear.
Speaker 4: So and thank you for saying that.
Speaker 3: And again I was specifically talking about in relation to negotiations, and but when you guys read it, I heard it in a whole different light, and I began immediately apologizing, uh, buying flowers by.
Speaker 2: You know, but I'm she liked the flowers and the kid.
Speaker 4: My wife, do you know? Okay, No, she's not here yet, so thank God because he probably right now.
Speaker 3: Well, she did finally listen to the episodes, and I think after I wrote that second letter follow up where I was talking about how transformative your advice was, I note she listened because she started treating me so much better.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just felt like a king.
Speaker 3: And let me say again for the record, she's beautiful, gorgeous, ten times smarter than me, and a gift from God. I have my soul mat Okay, so but yeah, and then when I had written in for that second letter, it took me a while. So it took me about a month to send something back because we had some real transformative conversations. I mean, because think about it, how many spouses out there feel the same way I did, Like if you would just if you would just do this, if you would just do that, and just by being able to listen and really listen, not listening to tell her what to do, but listen to here, Oh, this is what you've been trying to say to me for the past six months, Like I don't feel comfortable in my role, I missed my supervisor who left. I'm really ready for a change, right, And that's when we started talking and I started really listening and asking questions about what do you want, what's out there, what's possible? And so let me just tell you this. The laughter that you two had on my second letter still warms my heart to this day to know that I can bring out so much joy.
Speaker 1: And I wrote because the letter was like, Hi ladies, let me open with saying, how wonderful beautiful maze. We said that that Miss Tina was standing over Kevin showed like, yeah, wonderful, beautiful write that down, No beautiful put that. So we were just teasing that that she coached him on the letter be like, uh, huh, go ahead on and tell the ladies how amazing I am. I know we were just teasing, but shared the aftermath. So you said that, you know it'll allows you to take a step back and rethink about you know, what it is that how you were navigating with your wife, and and so like, what one, what are some core lessons you learn and what's the aftermath of those lessons?
Speaker 3: Okay, So the biggest lesson I learned is figuring out what environment your spouse is comfortable advancing it Because the thing about I learned about my wife is when she has a great supervisor who she feels supports her and can help her navigate, she'll jump into those roles.
Speaker 4: But when she.
Speaker 3: Doesn't have that, no amount of money, no amount of praise, nothing is going to get her to step in there because she wants that support. And you know, just thinking about spouse is going through this with me because you get so frustrated.
Speaker 4: Because I grew up in that area.
Speaker 3: If your boss offers you money, you take it right and you just work your way up. But for a lot of people, like you said, enough is enough and they're grown but learning, all right, what is it that will make them move. And here's the question I have for you, because there's a difference for me in knowing when your spouse has enough and knowing when something's wrong. Right, And I think for me in this situation, I knew something was wrong, I just didn't know how to get to it and help her. And so I was curious about your thoughts on the difference between the two of those, like knowing when they have enough and knowing really when something's wrong.
Speaker 1: One of the things I learned being with Charel for a number of years is that for both he and I is that sometimes even just asking the question are you are you just wanting to share or.
Speaker 2: Are you looking for feedback?
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's okay to ask that clarifying question because sometimes I just want to rant.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking for you to fix it.
Speaker 1: Oftentimes, if you're in a you know, a male female relationship, men tend to want to fix, you know, and it's like, now I'm just I'm just talking, you know, like I just want you to listen, I'm gonna fix it, you know. You know, So asking that clarifying question, but also bigger than like you kind of going into kind of save the day, is the safer the environment that you create for anyone to like be able to share, whether it's your child, your bestie, your spouse, whomever. Creating a super safe environment, they will come to you, you know. But also you also have to acknowledge it's not your job to fix it, you know, like not for adults, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's hard because I'm a fixer too.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm like, well, what's want we we could do it, and it's like, it's really not my job to fix it. It's my job to create a super safe environment where this person feels comfortable coming.
Speaker 2: To me for anything.
Speaker 1: And if they ask for help, and certainly you could offer, you know, is this something you like me to help you with? You know, if they say no, allowing them to figure it out on their own, but always letting them know the light is still on. If ever you're wanting my help on this, I'm here. I know it could be hard to watch people struggle on their own, but that is a human existence, right, Like you are in charge of your journey and path and so so that's what I just say that, like, you know, creating a safe environment, and you have to reaffirm that environment you can't just say it once. It's like and it's not just saying it, it's it's doing it. Because a safe environment looks like this, Like let's just say, you know, for example, parents a child, if I tell my mom, you know, when I'm a kid or a teenager, like, you know, I was out with my friends and they started smoking, they were smoking, would you smoke it up? I already know I can't talk enough, you know. But if I'm like, I was not my mom and you know they were smoking, okay, and you know they asked me to smoke, okay, but I didn't want to, but I'm not really sure how to. You see, Like it's it's like what you don't say oftentimes it's not just what you do say. So creating that environment where it's like, okay, well, whenever I tell Kevin something, it's a safe space to just share and if I do need help, he's there. And when I don't need help, he doesn't force help on me. This is a safe space. I think that's the best thing you could do in a relationship that Drone I got really good at that right before he passed away, which is like really creating a super safe environment where you could share anything you know and not feel like the other person was going to get angry with you, judge you, or try to wrestle away control and.
Speaker 2: Fix it for you.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's interesting because that's the space we got into. And that's why I felt my marriage leveled up, because you know, it put us into that old marriage advice about fix it, feel it, or forget it. You know, that's something someone told me a long time ago. Ask your wife, literally, do you want me to fix it? Do you just want me to feel your pain? Or do you want me to just listen, let you rent and forget it. And in this space, she really wanted me to feel her frustration. And I was able to listen and listen with an open mind and not answers like you said, not fixing. And what we began to talk about is, Okay, I've got you. So we're well enough in life that if you are so stressed out that you need to step away, I've got you.
Speaker 4: We're well enough.
Speaker 3: That if you need to find another job with a pay cut just for your happiness, I've got you. And that really resonated with her, And just to show you how.
Speaker 4: Good God is.
Speaker 3: Just man that follow up was in August. I think it was September. She started getting calls about new jobs. She interviewed, and she got hired in a new job on October thirty first, making more money because she's happy. She's coming home talking about all the great stuff at work rather than a pop or complaining and just to see that smile on her face. Because again, my letter was really about my wife is hurting and I don't know how to help her.
Speaker 4: Please help me help her.
Speaker 3: And you, ladies, I can't even tell you how grateful I am, because honestly, I'm gonna be honest. We have we had a great marriage. I mean, like outstanding. To hear that advice and see what it has done to us and taking us to another level is just mind bowing.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much love that.
Speaker 1: Like I say that, like I was just talking to a friend of mine who is struggling in his marriage, and we were just talking, and you know, he was just asking me, like, how did you manage to grow from you know, because I told him I was like, but by the time d passed away, we had elevated from good to great in our marriage. And I said, well, a few things in the beginning certainly. It's it's it's a bit of a struggle. It's like dancing on the dance floor with a new dance partner. You're like stepping on each other's toes. You're not really sure what's the beat You're gonna left you all right, like you know. So it's a little bit of a and sometimes people mistake that initial kind of like awkwardness for we must not meant to be meant to be together. And it might be that you know, you might have the wrong dance partner, but it could just be you have to find the beat and the rhythm, you know, and.
Speaker 3: So yes, in your own rhythm. Because I will attest to that because early in our marriage we would argue over my mama said towels that way, and it was like, okay, wow, we going, I said.
Speaker 1: When Jarrelle and I decided, like maybe it's like a year and a half in, I said, you know, baby, let's let's make a pack that we come up with our rules, rules that we keep just between us. We're not sharing them with our family, friends, sister, cousin, mother. We make up our own rules for our relationship and that's what we abide by. And it was so great and freeing, because you know, it's not like my well my girlfriend said we shouldn't do it like that.
Speaker 2: My nope, nope, nope.
Speaker 1: It was like, these are our rules, and if ever we wanted to change them, it's just me and you that have to be to get consensus. All right, Kevin, hold that thought real quick, because we're going to break for commercial and we're to come right back. Isn't this such a great conversation, you know it is set us a tweet at Brianna vission the budget. He's the Mandy money. If you're loving this conversation, we'll be back in a moment. That was the key. We had to get consensus, and so we started making up rules. We had rules of disagreement even for example, if we disagree, how do we.
Speaker 2: Want that to go? So we had a few rules for that.
Speaker 1: It was like one So I grew up in a yelling household, and so like what it was like no yelling? I was like, okay, fine, I guess right too. Jarrell had a kind of a party mouth. I mean, he grew up in the hood, so he would just in common conversation be like this mother, EPI said, can you believe that dab, which was fine in general conversation, but I told him, when we're in disagreement, like, cursing sounds crazy. So you know, even though you might not be here at me, that's what it feels like. So I was like, so E raised that from your memory when we're when So for me, it was no cursing even if you're not you know, like he wouldn't curse at me, but like, you know, like I said, his normal cadence would just be like, you know, he's gonna slip in a curse here and there, right, So I'm like, but not, we're in this when we're in disagreement.
Speaker 2: So he both said okay.
Speaker 4: No, okay.
Speaker 2: And the third one of which was the hold.
Speaker 1: That transformed our relationship, is that we created a safe word.
Speaker 2: And the safe word for us was pineapples.
Speaker 1: And that was when we had went from like if a disagreement went from helpful to hurtful, you know what that goes, you know, when you're like, you're just trying to win at this point, and so our so we came up with this word pineapples, and it was for if I felt like or he felt like, you know, you're getting to a place where it's not healthy anymore. Because sometimes, like let's just say, if I'm in the I'm about to get him good. I'm about to get him good. He'll be like pineapples, right, and I'm like, what pineapples mean? Everything stops, no more talking. You go on stairs, I go downstairs. We separate, you know, And it would be it was so frustrating in the beginning because I'm like, oh, we only did that because I was about to win, you know, and so and so I remember one time I didn't want to I didn't want to respect pineapples. He said, oh, we not respect the pineapples because when.
Speaker 4: You need it.
Speaker 1: But when I tell you, it was so helpful because what it did was it was like a shock to the system to say, what do you what are you doing? This is the person that you love. You're about to say something hurtful and harmful. And so it made us stop. And we had gotten so good at it that we didn't even have to say pineapples anymore. The year he passed away, it was I would internally self correct, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So we got to the point, like my.
Speaker 1: Sister lived with us for like almost two years and she was like, do you guys ever argue?
Speaker 2: And we really didn't.
Speaker 1: We had never We didn't let it escalate because we got trained that muscle of is this hurtful?
Speaker 2: Is this helpful?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: But I would always tell him, and for those of you in.
Speaker 1: Relationships, just even like you know, with your kids or whomever, we would always remind ourselves that, like I would visualize that we were wearing the same jersey, you know, like, so if I have on the Bulls jersey and you have on a Bulls jersey, so what do.
Speaker 2: I look like tripping you to sink a basket? Right? Because if you lose, the team loses.
Speaker 1: Therefore I lose too, you know, Like I cannot win over you because if I win over you, then you lose.
Speaker 2: That we all lose.
Speaker 1: And so even when we were like gearing up for like a disagreement, like I would, I would visualize, yo, you yo, this man has on the same jersey as me, So like me, winning is not really a win. I cannot win without him. We have to both win in this. So that just helps a lot. I'm just I love to hear because the world will tell you that like there are no successful black relationships, you know, and that like black love is did or just love in general, and or that everything is struggle love, whatever that means. And you know, I'm here to say that not that I know like a ton, but I know a good enough amount of people who are realistically happily married, not that everything's always rainbows and butterflies, but realistically happily married, meaning like they're like you, Kevin and Tina, where you're actively working on your marriage.
Speaker 2: You are reaching.
Speaker 1: Consensus from a place of love and respect, and that's why I get stronger and better.
Speaker 2: And so just I really commend you for.
Speaker 4: That well, and thank you for sharing your journey.
Speaker 3: It has been so like heartwarming to see you go through your journey of healing and sharing that with all of us and honestly listening to you, it inspires me to be a better husband because you know, for those of us who have gone through loss, it really makes you really pay attention to the things that really matter and focus in. So I just wanted to make sure before this conversation gets too far in to say thank you for sharing that, and just say this for those who are going through and arguing like you, we had the benefit of a roommate for like the first three years of our marriage, so we couldn't.
Speaker 4: Really shout at each other.
Speaker 3: We just had to like like sort of talk our points out and we would literally talk through him.
Speaker 4: He was like, well, don't you think I'm right? Don't you think I'm right?
Speaker 3: And I tell people all the time that really helped us in our marriage to understand how to have a disagreement instead of an argument. And at the end of the day, a house in discord, nobody wins right.
Speaker 4: If you and your spouse are mad or one's mad, it's not.
Speaker 3: Good for anybody. But when you have that harmony. And I'm sorry, she just walked in, so I had to catch it.
Speaker 2: Hi real quick, girl, I know you're let me say.
Speaker 4: Beautiful, and she is. Man, let me tell you what an extra introvert she is to do that.
Speaker 1: She probably might, you know, because people, I am an extrovert introvert meaning that like certainly I can, like, you know, put it on, but quietly I'm actually really really shy, you know. And so after I do the thing, I got to take a nap because it's just so overwhelming. I have just learned to like through my shyness, but so I totally understand.
Speaker 3: But no, but yeah, So in dealing with those situations, the biggest thing for me is and a question I had for you, is when you have these spouses who are out us and this just isn't a husband. We have wives who are the alpha or the breadwinner, and you have the spouse that may not be making, you know, as much as the other one, but you want to push them to go up to that next level. I mean, how do you have that conversation because a lot of times, for me, my pushing is about the stress of trying to provide for everybody right and trying to share that burden. And that's something I was able to communicate, like, you know, we got retirement coming up, our daughters in college, you know, we got another son in college.
Speaker 4: The more money we make, the easier it'll be.
Speaker 3: So just having those conversations and recognizing when it's about their needs and when it's about your needs versus you.
Speaker 2: See what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I said, okay, candidly, he never made over sixty thousand dollars a year, and you know I could take up words to seven figures home, you know, And so certainly.
Speaker 2: There were times when I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, babe, you know what, you could do this, and because you're a super for housing, you know, we could buy all these like apartment buildings, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and he'd be like, okay, you know, and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, Or like when I first met him, because he's really smart, I was like, why don't you go back to school and you could get your degree in this and you know, and he'd be like, I don't know if I want to go back to school. And so I was so frustrated by that in the beginning until, like I remember the first time I took my he was my boyfriend at a time, to meet like my parents, and my dad was getting on him about going to school. And I didn't like it because I thought to myself, who are you to tell him how he ought to live his life? And then I had to look and say, oh, pick up that marative. You don't like it, that's you, siss You see how I look?
Speaker 2: You see how that look, you know?
Speaker 1: And I was like, so, this is what I learned when it comes to that, is that he and I again had to make up our own rules. So because especially the dynamic is you know, like switch because he was the man and he wanted to be the provider, although I did not necessarily need a financial provider. So what we decided was that we were going to live within the means that he could provide.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: And so so what that meant, like, so I remember we were living, So I moved in with him maybe like two years until like dating, and rent was super cheap. It was, like, you know, because he because he worked for housing. We actually lived like on campus, and it was like nine hundred bucks a month, you know. And so I was like, well, how much do you want me to put toward rent? He was like, well, I was paying before you got here, I'm paying it now. I said, okay, right, So he continued to pay like all the bills, and I was building the budgets. I mean I was already like five years in the budget. Esta was making six figures. But I said okay. And since we weren't like married, you know, I didn't really start setting aside for both of us until like we got engaged. But when we got engaged, he was like, okay, you how about this. You pay the bills, so we keep our life under what the bills you can afford, and I will save and invest the money that I'm bringing in.
Speaker 2: And so, so the way it played out.
Speaker 1: Was, I was like, he always wanted to be a homeowner, and ID already brought a condo when I was like in my twenties and I had lost it to foreclosure. And I'm like, you know, I'm like a house too. And so we were looking for homes and it was hard because it was like, Okay, we could only look for homes that his pay could cover.
Speaker 2: So some of the homes, you know, what we're looking I didn't really like. I was like, I don't like this one, I like this one, don't like that neighborhood.
Speaker 1: But I realized, well, maybe we're looking at it in an incorrect way, right. So his main desire was I should be able to continue to pay our bills.
Speaker 2: I want that. If you don't want to do budget EASTA no more, you don't have to. I got you.
Speaker 1: So then I thought, well, babe, what if we do this? A foreclosure came up on the market. It was one hundred and eighty thousand dollars, and I said, what if we purchased that home cast with the money I have saved and invested for us because my job was save investor, your job to.
Speaker 2: Pay the bills.
Speaker 1: What if we purchased at home, that one hundred and eighty thousand dollars home with that money, which we did, and then we renovated it. Now I can get the house that I want in the neighborhood that I want. And guess what, we don't have a mortgage. So like, so the monthly bills actually decreased. And so we found ways like that to navigate versus me saying go make more money, you know which is you know it was more so how do we make the money that we do have work for both of us? And so he loved the fact that he was like, y'all pay all the bills in the house because you know which, like I said, there's no mortgage.
Speaker 2: And same thing.
Speaker 1: That's how we bought our cars too. So I purchased a car for myself and then his car was like getting old, and I was like, well, why don't we get you a car with the money that we have in our savings that I've been saving, So purchase his car, purchased my car, no car, no, but he paid the insurance, you know wow.
Speaker 3: And let me get some of that if you don't mind, because that is good stuff. Boy, and I want to just jump rope in there. But you are dead on because like you are the textbook example.
Speaker 4: Like back in the nineties, I used to read Essence, you know, Full Disclosure.
Speaker 3: And literally Essence would talk about these black women who are making these six figure salaries dating people who didn't have that college degree or were working, and the skills and the trades, and how to balance that and make that work. And now you see that more and more where people are making it work.
Speaker 4: And the trick really is how do we.
Speaker 3: Go from we to us right and still make people feel like they're valued in the relationship because you allow Jirell to still keep that protector, provider manhood thing that we all strive to give. I want to protect her. That's why I'm always trying to fix it. I want to protect my daughter. That's why I'm always signing her up for Mandy's courses and pushing them on her right.
Speaker 4: I want to protect and.
Speaker 3: Provide By allowing us to do that, man, I can't even tell you how happy that makes all of us.
Speaker 4: And I hope people are listening to the advice.
Speaker 1: He would tell you all the time, like, babe, thank you so much for never making me feel like, you know, feel bad, or feel less than or feel you know, because sometimes I'd have to remind him.
Speaker 2: I'm like, maybe you know we're millionaires. He was like we are.
Speaker 1: I'm like, do you look at our investment account?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And because I mean he was still wearing his brown uniform to work as a super you know, like and so and and somebody might be listening.
Speaker 2: But so you lived less than a life. I said. It didn't feel less than.
Speaker 1: To me because one one, if you know me, like Darrell's not here, I'm still in the same house. I'm still wearing my target's best like that's my Like I it was a fit for me because I was already living in that way. So if I'm going to splurg so so the things that I would pay for for myself to splurge were vacations. You know, I didn't have the expectation he paid for my vacations. And I also looked after my parents. That was a bill that he didn't, you know, take care because I was like, these are my parents, this is my responsibility. I gave them money every month, and so it allowed us like creating things like that, like creatively figuring out how do we do this dance? So I can honor the fact that you are the protector provider. But this is something that I'd like for us to have. And so there's no right or wrong. That's what I mean about creating your own internal rules for yourself and your relationship. If you can do that, you know, like I said, I you know, I made a significant amount of money, and yet you know, like like for example, it wasn't until I was in college that I realized that my mom made way more than my dad.
Speaker 2: I never knew.
Speaker 1: She was a nurse and he was an accountant, and I was just like she was like with the overtime or whatever she was make it almost double.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know. But because also too same in that, you know, it.
Speaker 1: Didn't they didn't let it affect the dynamics of their relationship, you know. And so I just think I think the rule is there is no rules except for the ones that you create for yourself. You know, when it comes to your how you navigate your relationship, especially when it comes to money. So I'll say for you, Kevin, when it comes to you and Tina, you know her. The only solution that is not just Tina gotta make more money. You know, I want you to explore what are some other solutions, because too, you have to get to the root of what are you really saying?
Speaker 2: What are you really wanting?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, like, oh, I want safety and I want security and I wanted to have enough for so okay, So is it Tina gotta make more money or the money we do make do we manage that better?
Speaker 2: Is you see what I mean?
Speaker 1: It might be that you know what I mean, Like, you know, it might be that it might be like, you know, are there some things that we really don't need that actually we could put that put that money toward retirement. You know, are there some ways to cut back?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: It might be that I don't know, only you would know, and so like so, you know, I don't want you to just in anything. Don't get so stuck that the only solution is there's never just one solutions. Actually, when it comes to your finances, you know that you want to explore, like what other ways, Like it's the only way for us to get a house that Jarrell has to qualify for a mortgage no, it's we found a foreclosure, paid for a cash Now we ain't got to worry about a mortgage. You see what I mean? So there is alternative solutions I do, you know, for you to navigate but get to the root of what you're really saying that you want and then put both of your heads together to figure out what are different ways to achieve the same solution.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, wow, and you know that's such good advice. And you've got to I have got to be able to sit with myself and say, what am I really needing? Why am I pushing for this? We make more than enough money, and I have learned from the past that when we used to make more money and then go out and get a new car payment and lose all that money, we may, you know, but it comes down to can you manage what you have? Because in cree can come through decrease. And I learned that listening to you.
Speaker 5: Guys, Hey, my paster listens, I just gave you a service for.
Speaker 1: Something that Kevin, you are awesome. Any last words for the people?
Speaker 3: You know what the last word I would say is one of the reasons why I was so happy that y'all called me on is I know that there are so many spouses going through the same thing that I'm going through, and it's causing stress on your marriage, and the more we talk about it, the more we're able to deal with it. So I want to thank you for having me on. Thank you for talking to me. I just gave away two copies of your book last week. I'm giving away three copies at Christmas, and I'm about to give my daughter that many script negotiating.
Speaker 4: So now get some gear so we can buy.
Speaker 1: If you go to brownebischopodcast dot com, I feel like we have gear on there.
Speaker 2: Take a look. I'm almost possibly have some.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so brown Ambition dot com get your gear.
Speaker 4: I will go there asking everybody to go with.
Speaker 3: Me because I'm your biggest fan and now I'm promoting your ken.
Speaker 2: You're an awesome guest. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know you're a private person, but if you do have any social media that you mind people following or anything, you don't have to.
Speaker 2: I'm just like it.
Speaker 4: No I do.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna laugh because you know how you have that nineties email address.
Speaker 4: Well, my uh my Instagram name is Gilo Tony g I G O l O t O N.
Speaker 3: Why hey, it's it's a nineteen eighties rapping from Miami.
Speaker 4: It's an look up smurf Rock all.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, go ahead and.
Speaker 3: You'll see some of the best salads and you can hit me up at Facebook, Kevin Kidd. We do a lot of great things, from coaching you soccer and empowering girls to bring it after school programs to youth and attention.
Speaker 4: So you're welcome. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I D D for those of your listening, JIGGLO Tony.
Speaker 1: For those of you who know what you're talking about, tweet me who's from who from Florida?
Speaker 4: A name?
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go, that's Miami base right, So thank you so much and thank you for inspiring me.
Speaker 4: Hopefully this will be the first.
Speaker 3: In my journey to realize my dream of becoming a motivational speaker through your example.
Speaker 2: And just tell Tina I love you.
Speaker 4: I will and she said hello fla.
Speaker 2: Hey, ba fan.
Speaker 3: We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: The Brown a Mission podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Emani Crosby.
Speaker 3: And produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennistimplinsky is our in house tech guru, and I am Bandy Woodrid Santos your co host, and I see y'all next week