Speaker 1: What's that ad?
Speaker 2: It's spooky, I'm yooky. I'm really sure's dead it's coming this way.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, hey, I said.
Speaker 2: I Nandas.
Speaker 3: Please Hey boo, it's me Roz and welcome to Ghosted by Roz Hernandez, the podcast where I talk to people that I like about things that are freaky and teaky and cheeky. Did you have a good October?
Speaker 2: I mean I had an October to remember, to say the least. I just want to thank everybody for all of your support and for listening to me talking NonStop about the TV show that I get to be on called Living for the Dead, which is now out on Hulu and you can watch it everywhere all over the world. I really, I really appreciate it, guys, and I'm so happy that you've loved the show. And I've just heard so many nice things. So thank you very much. And now October is over and it's just you and me. It's the real ones, the real spooky bitches have stuck around the party, So welcome to November. I got to talk to the brilliant musician Nico Case, who is a return guest on the show. We will get into that in just a moment again. I got some tour dates coming up real quick. The eighth Wednesday, the eighth of November, I'm gonna be at Stonewall in New York City. The thirtieth of November, I'm in Seattle at the Hereafter the first of December, I'm in Vancouver, Canada. And the third of December, i am in Helium, Portland, Oregon. The ticket link is in my Instagram bio or on the websites of those venues. Okay, let me read you a story that was sent to me. I was emailed a story by Julie Julie Wrights. I was a tour guide in Savannah, Georgia in two thousand and five. Who I'm already scared the two thousand and five Savannah, Georgia. Both of those things are spooky. Savannah is one of the oldest cities in America and still has houses standing from the seventeen hundreds buildings as well, which makes it also one of the most haunted cities in America. The moment you step into the city, you can feel the centuries of energy hanging in the air like fog. The ghost tour I led was a walking tour over about a mile of the historic district, right around City Market and Bay Street. One of the buildings I used to talk about was a bank in its infancy, then a restaurant, and at the time I was telling my stories, it was completely empty. The story goes that the owner of the original bank had a daughter named Grace, who fell ill and died at a young age.
Speaker 1: She was a.
Speaker 2: Precious, blonde haired child, and when she died, she never really left. Most stories are about the restaurant and patrons seeing a blondhaired little girl in outdated clothes, hiding under tables or running past them around a corner. She was around a lot. Many stories were told about little Grace, and I became quite fascinated by her. I would even go visit her grave, which was in Bonaventure Cemetery on the way out to the beach. Her headstone is a statue of her holding a baby sheep. It's kind of creepy, but I always felt peaceful and connected to her when I would go there. Anyway, I was giving a tour to about thirty five people one August evening. The tour had just started. Grace was usually my first story, So it's me and thirty five people staring at this two story building that Grace's father once owned, and as I was looking at the second story, I saw her, a blonde haired child staring at me through the window. Her hair was half up, tied in a white ribbon, and she was wearing a white dress with a somewhat high collar. I gasped, and then some someone else gasped. I turned to my tour group and asked if anyone else could see her. Half of the group raised their hands, the other half looked perplexed. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I am so thankful Grace showed herself to me and well some of my group. Oh wow, Julie, Now that's a rare sighting, and that is exactly what you want to happen when you go on a ghost tour of a place like Savannah, Georgia. That had to have felt great as a tour guide. And I could relate because I used to be a tour guide at Universal Studios, Hollywood, and I would take these tours through Hollywood all the time, and we'd always be talking about all the different celebrities. We'd tell stories, Oh, this is where this show is made. And this show's made over here and whatever. You just talk about it all the time. It's still a great tour, wonderful. I highly recommend you go if you're ever in town. But then every once in a while one of the celebrities will peak their little heads out, and as a tour guide, I was like, yes, this is what these people come to Hollywood for, so I get it. It sounds just like Grace. Grace was having a good day that day. She said, you know what, I'm gonna put my ponytail half up. I'm gonna give them the half up, half down, Arianna, look, and I'm gonna come out and I'm just gonna you know, I'm gonna smile post for a picture or two, and then I'm going back inside. Good for you, Grace, that's how you do it. Anyway, I'm gonna talk to Nico Case now, who I absolutely love. She cracks me up, and we talk about one of my absolute favorite ghost stories I've ever heard. Ever. Here we go, here's me once again with Nico Case add with a show. I am joined once again by a brilliant recording artist, musician, and honestly, I'm gonna say comedian because she's very funny nicokes. Hello, Hi, welcome back.
Speaker 1: I missed you.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've missed you. I'm always so happy when I see you on social media and stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm ready and I have something to run by you if you're up for it. I don't know. Do you like things that are not just ghost related but also like kind of macob.
Speaker 2: I've been known to dabble in the macob to eat up some macob like it's corn on the cob.
Speaker 1: Excellent?
Speaker 2: Why what is it? Tell me? Run it by me.
Speaker 1: Not long before I was supposed to come on the show, I got a text from my friend Gavin, who is a palaeontologist cool, and he sent me a photo of a cat skull and it says this cat skull is intended to inspire you. It's special because it's from one of our seventeen or possibly eighteen cats that ate its owner, renowned nineteen sixties cat theme sci fi outsider artist Karen Kuckendall. Our museum was willed her estate when she died in the nineteen nineties. So the cat ate her one of the seventeen or possibly eighteen cats that ate her.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I will happily send you the picture of the skull. I'll show you right now on the thing there. It is.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: You sent me that, And I'm like, huh, that's funny that he should send me something so macabre right before I'm going on your show.
Speaker 2: The last time you were on, you did not have a whole lot of ghost experiences. But I'm wondering if you've had any sense.
Speaker 1: No, just a lot of me hanging out wishing the ghosts would come around. Still, I'm still ghostless, and I'm sad about it, but you know, I'm still open. I'm a little too open. I think ghosts are like, you're desperate, dued after life desperation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I totally get that.
Speaker 1: They're just not a fan of Where are you now? I'm at home right now, and I just got back from being gone for like four months, so I'm pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: I missed you when you're in La. I saw that you were here and I wasn't around, but I missed you.
Speaker 1: It's okay, you're busy.
Speaker 2: Was it fun?
Speaker 1: It was really fun? It was really really fun. We just did a little show at the Fonda, and I ate lots of meatballs and I got a good night's sleep. That's an A plus plus plus situation for me, So thank you Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got a great segue here because I did some research about a story that involves a woman that was in the Los Angeles area that was not getting good sleep. I don't know about meatballs, but she did have flying light balls around her home. So I'm going to tell you a little story here that I've actually been obsessed with since I was a child. It's the San Pedro haunting of Jackie Hernandez. No relation. Uh have you ever heard of this story?
Speaker 1: Were you disappointed that she wasn't related to you?
Speaker 2: I mean, she has a baby daughter that was born around the same time as me, and maybe it was me. Maybe this is my long last mother. I don't know. But does this ring any bell to you? This story?
Speaker 1: I have never heard this story?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, in nineteen ninety seven there was a documentary called An Unknown Encounter colon a true account of the San Pedro Haunting, which is on YouTube. It is fantastic. If you appreciate a perm or a mullet, this is the film for you. And there is real footage. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's the best ghost hunt I've ever seen captured on camera.
Speaker 1: That's that's big.
Speaker 2: And I've seen a lot, Okay, I have watched a lot of hours of these TV shows and stuff. This is actually one that I saw. I don't know. I was very young when I first saw this, and most of the research I'm about to tell you I got from the documentary. But then I also found this other TV show that she was on about ten years ago, and there's like conflicting data. I don't know, but nonetheless, here we go. Let's get into it. So San Pedro, California. It's not far from Long Beach. It's known for the Port of Los Angeles. Approximately twenty percent of cargo coming into the US goes into San Pedro, and she was right over there by the port. Nineteen eighty eight. Jackie Hernandez. She's a twenty three year year old single mother. She moves into a small house with her two year old son, and she's pregnant with a daughter. She had just separated from her man. She's hoping to finish her degree and start a new life. So the first thing that happens, she's just hanging out in this house, and she starts to hear what sounds like pebbles falling in the walls. She's like, this is not normal. I don't know what this sound is. It's not even like an old house, you know, making old house noises. It sounded deliberate. She just thought it was weird. But whatever. One day she's sitting at her desk in her home and a pencil holder flies off, pencils everywhere. Another time, her ex named Al came over. She tells him all about it. He's like, oh, yeah, he's calling out the ghost. Nothing ends up happening when he does that. But as soon as he leaves, she goes into a closet, opens it up. Written on the wall the word L hundreds of times. The A is blue, the L is red. Do you think a ghost could do that?
Speaker 1: I don't know what a ghost could do.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I just I don't even know what they're capable of.
Speaker 2: Well, especially when you hear this story, I'm not going to doubt it because again, like very credible people were involved in this case, and some of it is kind of on camera. But this is a story where you're like, I've never even heard of this kind of stuff happening, but apparently it all did. This is a very strong ghost that poor Jackie Hernandez had. So one day she ends up telling her landlord that there's some weird stuff going on. The landlord calls two priests over, and these priests, she says, they were super condescending and they basically made her feel like she was out of her mind and did a couple of blessings. They laughed. The next day, social services comes over because the priest said that she was on hallucinogenics and while being pregnant because of the things that she was saying was happening around her house.
Speaker 1: Oh that's dirty.
Speaker 2: Dirty, So obviously, this poor woman she's terrified to tell people about this, like after that happened.
Speaker 1: Classic patriarchy, there we go. Classic.
Speaker 2: She's twenty three pregnant. Now at this point she has just had her baby. She's living on her own, trying to go to school. It's one of these situations. She didn't have much money. What do you do, Like, you just have to kind of live with this weird stuff happening around the house, and it gets way weirder. So one day she comes home, remember those like little letters that people would put on fridges, like the magnets. Oh yeah. She says that she came home one day and it said get the hell out. Soon after, she begins seeing the apparition of an old man that looks like a corpse. He's got gray skin and he's wearing a flannel shirt. He always has his legs crossed, and she sees him often sitting in her children's bunk bed. Now this is nineteen eighty nine. Grunge is about to take off. Do you think that maybe the ghost was trying to start a fashion trend with the flannel? I don't know. So one time a painting fell off of a wall, and she says that the nails that were holding the painting up had also come out, and they were like head down, sharp side up on the painting. Which how would that even happen? How did the nails come out of the wall? I don't know. Her neighbor had several accounts with the spirit, and even the neighbor says that it followed her home. The ghost went home with the neighbor. One time a lamp fell over. Blah blah blah blah blah, lots lots of typical ghost stuff. One time, her friend was babysitting one night and heard a voice from the bathroom saying, don't come in here. And this ghost is, you know, very intelligent, very aware of its surroundings, could interact with people. So I don't know if it could actually use the bathroom, but it certainly did not want the babysitter to go in the bathroom for whatever reason. Another time, she allegedly saw a stream of water pouring out of a light switch. One night, she saw a local TV show with a group of paranormal investigators. She decides, I'm going to give them a call. And on this other show that I watched, she says that her friend Susan was like, oh, I have a phone number for some ghost hunters. So I don't know exactly how that happened, but whatever, these people were Barry Conrad, Jeff Wheatcraft, and doctor Barry Taff who was a famous parapsychologist from UCLA. Let me just ask you, if you were in this situation, are you gonna what do you do? I don't know what to do this poor woman.
Speaker 1: I guess I would invite smart people I knew to come over and spend the night and just see if there was any sort of If it was me, I mean, I would be wondering about my own sanity. I would be wondering about I don't know. I don't know what I would do. I've definitely called people over to stay the night at my house when stuff was scary in the city.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Just like weird noises or gunshots or what have you. You know, just feeling out of sorts or whatever. You just feel kind of creeped out for no good reason. And so it's like, can you come stay over because I feel really freaked out? And you know, somebody else coming over kind of burst that weird psychic bubble and you're like, Okay, everything's fine. So I think that's what I would do. But if I had a number for a paranormal psychologist from UCLA, I would be calling it.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, Well, And that's the thing. She's got literally a newborn baby, a two year old, and she's trying to go to school and work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most people would be like, I don't have time for this shit.
Speaker 2: I don't have time. I would be so pissed. Yeah, and she's being kept up all night she's hearing breathing from this ghost. It's speaking, it's doing all kinds of shit NonStop. So she has Barry Barry and Jeff the Ghostbusters.
Speaker 1: The BBJ team, the BBJ Fresh on the scene exactly.
Speaker 2: So they roll up, they've got their cameras and doctor Barry Tap says, as soon as he walks in, he instantly notices a foul stench. He's like, damn, Jackie, let's start with a glade plug in. We'll go from there. He famously investigated this case that inspired the movie The Entity, which was this case in Culver City, I believe, in Los Angeles where this woman and it's a messed up one and she was repeatedly getting assaulted by all these ghosts in her house. It's crazy. But anyway, so he's like, oh, this smells like the Entity house, like literally smell like it smelled bad. So she tells them that she went up to the attic and she saw a head with no body coming at her, just a floating head. I'm sorry, I'd only laugh because it's so scary to.
Speaker 1: The well, it's it's super unbelievable, and when you think about how scary that would actually be that would be would be terrifying, like pass out terrifying.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah. And by the way, at this point, her husband I don't believe her ex husband whatever, I don't believe has actually first hand seen anything, but all of her girlfriends have seen stuff, and the babysitters they've all experienced it, So she at least has some people on her side that have had these experiences. But now that we got these you know, credible guys coming in here. So there's Jeff who's the cameraman, and he is skeptical, and he's like, Okay, I want to go up to this attic and see this floating head. So he goes up there to snap some pictures. It's pitch black and his camera gets yanked out of his hands, so he's no longer a skeptic. This guy is shook. So the group decides they're all going to go up there with their video cameras. And as soon as they get up there, the video cameras don't work. The video cameras only work downstairs. And by the way, this is the documentary that I was talking about from nineteen ninety seven that all started when these guys showed up like it's their footage from this investigation, so allegedly their cameras were not working when they would go up into the attic. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And how would you feel if you were her and the skeptic goes up there with his camera and then comes back shook as you said, wouldn't you just be like, let's all just leave right now. Let's just take our most basic items that we and get the fuck out, Like, let's not let's not go back in there. That's what I needed to see. Good day, Let's go.
Speaker 2: I would be so annoying. I would be like, see, I told you bitches, nobody believe me. I'd call up the church where those priests are. Oh my, I would prank call them.
Speaker 1: One of your precious men has confirmed that there's a ghost stuppy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I would be so oh you don't even know.
Speaker 1: So I'd like to I'd like to see that. Actually, I'd like to see that call happening.
Speaker 2: So they don't leave, they don't grab their items to go. They're actually these these guys are like, okay, we might have a documentary that might be featured on an exactly right podcast. In twenty twenty three, we got to keep these cameras rolling exactly, so they all come downstairs because they're like, okay, cameras aren't working up there. And they hear pounding sounds in the attic and what sounds like a heavy person walking in the attic, like back and forth. This part is in the documentary and it's so scary. Now the craziest thing in this entire case is about to happen. She shows these guys that there's this yellow liquid that is oozing from her walls, and they take a sample of the gross yellow ooze. They take it to a lab and it is found out to be human blood plasma. What male blood?
Speaker 1: That's gross.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting, so like.
Speaker 1: Lymph fluid sort of but not. Isn't that what limp fluid is?
Speaker 2: I don't want any fluid dripping out of my walls. No, I can tell you.
Speaker 1: That, especially a specific separated from the blood plasma.
Speaker 2: Where's the blood? That's what I'm not now. That means the blood's got to be nearby, and it was male blood. They were able to determine.
Speaker 1: Matches the ghost in question, perhaps.
Speaker 2: So they have no explanation. They can't figure this out. By the way, of course, they're wondering are their bodies in the walls and they're somehow seeping out. No, there's no bodies in the walls. So this poor woman, Jackie is completely over it at this point. She's being harassed by this thing at all hours of the night. I feel so bad for her. You can see it on her face in this documentary. And she one night calls them frantic. The middle of the night. Kids toys are flying all over the place. She's here in the breathing. The lights are coming on and off, so the guys rush on over and in the kitchen they hear the sound of someone snapping their fingers right by their ears. Side note. I don't know if you've experienced this. I'm a millennial. I sometimes do shows for the generation younger than me, like the people in like their early twenties and stuff, and they they snap, Oh my god, they that's how they like if I tell a joke that's funny, they're.
Speaker 1: Like they jazz clap.
Speaker 2: Basically, they pretty much do that.
Speaker 1: Jazz clapping they're doing like it's like very they're taking it back like.
Speaker 2: Poetry, like snapping.
Speaker 1: I don't knownick beatnick clasp, So.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it was the future ghost, maybe a gen Z person time traveled back as a ghost and was like, Yazz ghost, it's given me plasma in the walls. Ghost. So the fellas are like, we're going up into this attic. Two of them go up there. Things are weird. It's pitch black up there. All of a sudden, Jeff, the guy whose camera got yanked out of his hands, gets a rope wrapped around his neck and it's connected to a nail in the wall, and it's literally choke him to the point where he's almost like off the ground choking. And the other guy that's up there, it's so dark he can't see and he's like, what are you doing over there? So he snaps his camera takes a picture of him, and it's so terrifying and he's literally just like hanging there. He gets him down. Obviously they get out of that attic. This is some final destination shit.
Speaker 1: That ghost really hates Jeff hates Jeff.
Speaker 2: I this is so dangerous at this point. Okay, so the same night, her four month old at this point baby has a red imprint on her forehead that just miraculously appears. I don't know whatever it is, she was able to wipe it off. It wasn't like an actual like scar or whatever. She just wipes it off. But still she's she's freaking out because she's like, Okay, now this thing is like messing with my kids and Jeff and in Jeff, this guy she just met from we don't know exactly where, but first of all, I don't it's a man getting choked in my attic. I don't want another ghost. We got enough. We're at capacity in this house. So they all leave the house. The guys end up reviewing the footage and they start noticing that there's these little balls of light that appear around her all the footage of Jackie, like you can see these little balls of lights and different parts of the house, these little balls of light, like little tiny little balls, and they're like shooting in a way that's not a bug or anything. It's like really specific, just something weird that happened. So Jackie at this point is like, I'm out of here. I'm moving three hundred miles north of sam Pedro. She moves into a trailer in a place called Weldon, California, And that's the story of Jackie. Hernandez just kidding. As soon as she moves over there, she starts noticing weird noises and balls of light around her trailer. Her daughter's bedspread catches on fire. Her new neighbors are hearing weird knocks from inside the children's bedroom. Can you imagine moving into a new place, you know, you meet your new neighbors. Hi, guys, Oh, this is my This is my newborn, This is my two year old, and my poulter. Guys, don't mind my poulter guyst He'll make himself known.
Speaker 1: If if you see any plasma, it's just my ghost maker poltergeist that I brought with me against my will.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Don't mind the human blood that might drip out of your trailer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, one day her neighbors are helping her move a TV and it's obviously unplugged whatever. They notice the face of an old man on the screen. It's like staring at them. Jeff and Barry roll up. She calls them. She's like, guess what, guys, your documentary continues. So they pull up. They pull out a Wuiji board. The table starts shaking. It's spelling words like crazy. It's telling them that it's a man that was murdered in nineteen thirty in the San Pedro Bay. He says that there's ghosts all around her. He says that he hates Jeff because Jeff looks like the man who killed this man.
Speaker 1: So the Jeff thing wasn't like random nearest guy to me, it was it was specific.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so this ghost is already pissed off, he already wants Jackie and her babies out of this house. Then he sees Jeff and he's like, wait, that kind of looks like the guy that killed me. And then get I guess it's just a crazy lou cooincidence. I don't know, you know, if that was if I was Jeff, I'd be like with the Wigi board, I'd be like, show me a picture of the guy. Because every time someone says I, oh, I gotta show you someone that looks just like you, it's almost always an insult, and I would have wanted to see the picture, agreed. I would say, Okay, listen, ghost, pull it up. Let's see if this guy does not look like me. You're out of here. The documentary's over. I'm burning some stuff, and we're getting you gone. So they're doing the Ouija board, and then all of a sudden, Jeff is picked up in thrown against the wall. Unfortunately this part is not in the documentary, but there's an amazing reenactment of an actor being picked up in thrown.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm watching tonight.
Speaker 2: You have to it's so good. So a bond further research, they find records of a man in nineteen thirty that died under suspected foul play, though ruled accidental because there was not enough info in San Pedro, so they come to the conclusion that must be him. I don't know whatever, he did work near Jackie's house as a seaman, so it's starting to all make sense. They also realize the not from the little rope that was choked around Jeff's neck was a knot that was used by seamen. So we think we know that she's got the ghost of a semen. Semen, so it's just fun to say her house is leaking bodily fluids and she's it's covered with semen.
Speaker 1: There's signs of semen everywhere.
Speaker 2: There's no semen all over, and they're shooting balls. There's balls shooting around her house and there's signs of Semen. Right, Okay, so she decides, you know what, I'm out of this part of California. She's like, I might as well go back and soak up the sun. So she goes back down to San Pedro, but she moves into an apartment, not the original house, because she's like, I guess this ghost is gonna come with me no matter where, Like, I might as well just go back over there.
Speaker 1: Might as well live some more nice I want to live, not in a trailer.
Speaker 2: Yes. At this point, this whole story has been less than two years and it's just NonStop. So she is back. Guess what. Guess who's decided to move with her the Semen. So his light balls are shooting all over her new apartment and she at this point gets really cool pictures of these balls of light and they are something, and a lot of credible people examine them and they're like, Okay, we don't know what that is. But it's not just it's not a glare off of something. It's not all the other things that you could rule out. So not only is this thing following her places, it's also following Jeff the investigator, this poor guy.
Speaker 1: So he got haunted by the semen as well, like getting chicken pox.
Speaker 2: Basically exactly it is. It's contagious. But if you told me that I look like your murderer and that's why you're going to now make my life a living how, I would also get myself a disguise at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or a stylist to help you get out of that situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. First of all, I'd be offended that I look like a murderer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also I would get you know, a fake mustache, a wig of some sort I don't know, so that the ghost creeps in and goes, oh, sorry, wrong apartment. He lives in Studio City, which is probably I would say forty five minutes if there's no traffic from San Pedro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's plastic surgery there. Yes.
Speaker 2: The cheaper option is that there there are wardrobe stores, there's special effects makeup stores. He does not do that. So many times in his Studio City apartment, the burners on his stove would turn on by themselves. This is dangerous m HM. Didn't happen before he met Jackie Hernandez and her ghost. One time he came home. He alleges there's video of this, but after the fact he comes home and there's two pairs of scissors open underneath his bed pillows, like this ghost was setting a trap, expecting him to get in the bed and chop himself up by accident or something. One time, he says, this window broke in the apartment. He collects all the glass, brings it down to the dumpster. He says, as soon as he goes back up, there's a big, old, sharp shard of glass and it's on his typewriter, sharp side, pointing upward. And he claims that it was a piece that he had just thrown away, so somehow it flew back from the dumpster onto his typewriter. Also another night, he and his boys come home late at night and there's just NonStop activity going on over the place. Somehow white out gets scribbled all over one of his camera lenses. I mean, so much shit happened in this apartment. And then basically the nineteen ninety seven documentary, it just kind of ends.
Speaker 1: That's all it gives you.
Speaker 2: It's like then things slowed down for Jackie and it was over.
Speaker 1: Where's Shackie? Now? How do we get her on the phone?
Speaker 2: Trust me, I know I might have to do some family tree. I know a couple of Hernandez's I could. I'm sure we know Jackie somehow.
Speaker 1: For Jeff, what's chef up to?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: I did hear an interview with Barry Taff, the parapsychologist, and he's like, Jeff has PTSD because of this, Like it was so traumatic. I mean, he was attacked by this thing and again he was like a skeptic before, so his whole world was shaken over for Jeff, and I don't think he ever did any of this kind of work after that. I did try to find I'm like, where is Jackie, What's going on? There's an La Times article from nineteen ninety three, so this was after the actual activity was happening, but before this documentary came out. It's in the La Times, written by Gary Abrams. It's called Tangled Tales from the Crypt. For three years, Jackie Hernandez says she was followed by a pair of puzzling and persistent ghosts, and it has different info. It says that she believed that there was actually two ghosts, and she had dreams of being held underwater and the people that she was around in her dream looked like they were from the thirties, So she believed that that was like the seamen ghost.
Speaker 1: Is that how the seman died? I forget how he was murdered.
Speaker 2: Was his body was found in the harbor?
Speaker 1: Okay? I guess if there was lack of evidence, drowning would be one of those ways, like they'd be like, well, did somebody drown? I don't know, there's no suspicious marks or anything.
Speaker 2: But he did have a mark on his head, I believe, so it was like did he hit his head and then fall in the water, Like nobody knows for sure.
Speaker 1: That is suspicious and could go either way.
Speaker 2: She believes from a Ouiji session that the murderer lived in that house, the original house, so it wasn't the seamen. It was the seamen trying to get revenge on whoever did kill the semen. And then she believes that the other ghost was the ghost of a man, the man who actually built the house. She also says in this La Times article, I don't know why none of this is in the documentary, but whatever that when she had moved back to San Pedro, she saw a ball of light outside of her apartment and she followed it to a graveyard and it lingered over a headstone that was confirmed to be the man who built the house, and then after that it vanished, and then his haunting stopped with her, and again she did see an old man in the house, the original house with the flannel on the semen, I believe was a younger man, okay, And I think the semen just kind of got over it, which is like, yeah, leave her alone, Like she's not your killer, Like what is your deal, dude, Like leave this poor woman alone and poor Jeff.
Speaker 1: But she's some sort of conduit to help ghosts travel around or something like, ah, hello, portal lady, I'm gonna find the guy who murdered me through you, portal lady. Bother you are your breastfeeding but this is really super important for.
Speaker 2: Me, exactly. My favorite part of this La Times article is that they interview her former babysitter, and this former babysitter has got some fighting words. The babysitter says that the haunting has permanently changed her and her nandas she says that she's become more religious, while her friend Jackie quote overreacts to everything, it seems that she's sunk into total neurosis. The two of them have drifted apart, she says, remarking that the haunting is quote the only thing we have in common.
Speaker 1: Jackie not pay her or something or.
Speaker 2: Jackie who had enough to deal with Okay, I don't know. But the other show that I found, it's called Paranormal Witness and it's season two, episode two. It came out in twenty twelve, and she is interviewed in it, and it's a re enactment show that's really scary. And the episode is called The Man in the Attic and it has a lot of different details. Some of the details that I shared here are from that and then also from the original documentary. But I just love the original documentary. It's so good and that's pretty much the story of Jackie Hernandez. Do you believe it? Nico Case.
Speaker 1: I got to watch the documentary first and looking to my left and seeing my own Jeff over there, who I know about your show from Jeff originally because he's a huge fan of your show. He's got the look on his face like, oh, we're watching that tonight. We are, So I'm about to find out. I'm gonna I'm gonna say, yeah, I do believe it.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many things we can't explain, and who with a brand new baby and a toddler has time for that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And going to school and work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I could see her being a little like you know, I've had moments where I feel like I've separated from my sanity a little bit and thought some stuff was pretty real. So it could be that too. But if it was real to her, then it was real, right.
Speaker 2: But then you get all these other people witnessing it. That's the biggest thing. Even these people when she lived in that trailer, they're interviewed and they're like, we saw an old man's face staring at us in this TV screen.
Speaker 1: And the plasma real life, plasma.
Speaker 2: Real life? Where would she have gotten that plasma from if she was trying to fake this? I don't know. It's a good one, it's a really good one. It's just a lot of stuff that I've never even heard of. Like, there's just so much going on with this.
Speaker 1: But the balls of light fascinate me. I've seen balls of light, so I mean why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, these ones are really cool and there's actually I only gave you some of the details, there's like a lot more. I mean, it seemed like it was NonStop stuff. But her babysitter, the disgruntled babysitter, I don't know if it was her or a different babysitter, but one of the babysitters and her witnessed like these kind of larger balls of light in their kitchen, just sort of floating around, and they're like the light was coming out of them. They weren't. I don't know. It's just very strange. It's the whole thing is strange.
Speaker 1: But when you first kind of set up the story, I was kind of like balls of light. I was like, well, is San Pedro one of the areas in Los Angeles where they do a lot of oil field stuff, because like you know, La is surrounded by this stuff. I thought, well, maybe there's you know, natural gases in the air, and I don't know, that's just maybe in a less than pseudo.
Speaker 2: Scientist, Well, it turns out this house has bigger problems than the balls of light. That actually sounds nice compared to some of this stuff. That's one of those things where how convenient would it be could save you on a couple of bills if turn off all the lights and then be like, go, I have some homework I have to do for college right now? Can you just linger over here with your light bulbs and just illuminate my homework over here? Ghosts, it's hot, Can you just make this room cold real quick? That would be nice. That would be a nice use of a ghost. But unfortunately she had no need for human plasma or a stinky smell.
Speaker 1: Are ghosts were helpful? I mean, you know a million ghost stories, Like do you hear about helpful ghosts?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, you hear a lot of these stories that are you know a lot of people will say angels or whatever right intervening when there's an accident happening or something and helping people get out of a car during a car wreck, or you know, just different things like that that are helpful. But it's rare to hear stories of a ghost actually trying to kill somebody and almost succeeding and it being so non stop. The way that this story sounds, it just sounds like hell. It sounds horrible. I mean, you already can't sleep because you got a baby, and then you have to deal with this, My poor aunt Jackie. I feel terrible for her.
Speaker 1: I know you got to get her on the horn.
Speaker 2: You're telling me see.
Speaker 1: How it's played out, and if she's still overreactive to everything, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well should I have her and then do it nineties talk show style where I pull out the babysitter. Well, guess so we've got backstage right now, your former babysitter come on out.
Speaker 1: And then they just come charging out.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, So I have another thing that I like to do here we look at some haunted dolls that are currently for sale, a little segment I like to call the dolls are living. So I go to eBay sometimes atsy different places. I've looked at Craigslist, I've checked out Facebook, Marketplace, but my favorite is eBay. And I have got you a two for one special today for only thirty eight dollars or best offer you could have. Nancy and Jane. Let's take a look at Nancy and Jane. They are identical twins. They have provided a variety of photos to show you that the two of them have a great time. They can do different things, they can pose in different ways. They both have on white berets with a white sleeveless top with little red hearts on it and black pants.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like they're in jone Jet and the black hearts, Like they got a total jone Jet play. This outfit, both of them.
Speaker 2: It's hot, totally short haircuts.
Speaker 1: I am not afraid of them. I want to rock with them.
Speaker 2: No, they look like fun. And then there's also one photo of them where they both have one eye closed, and I feel like that was the photographer being like, Okay, now let's do a silly photo, and that's what they came up with. There's also one that looks like when like the Matterhorn Ride or something where you like sit in the same like they're like city like, yeah, one is between the other one's legs.
Speaker 1: They're about to go down a very steep slope exactly screaming if they can open their little plastic mouths, which I don't think they can.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, let me tell you about the info that comes with these two for thirty eight dollars or best off for Nancy and Jane, it says these identical twin dolls are six year old Nancy and Jane. They are from Nashville, Tennessee. They enjoy watching old shows like The Little Rascals and also modern children's shows on TV. They like to read too, but they get bored fast and they start turning the pages. They were always referred to as the twins and love being dressed identically. They love fool in there the family and teachers. They was little pranksters but lovable. These two will occasionally have a little tantrum here and there by pushing things off the shelf. I keep them away from my nice stuff. Lol.
Speaker 1: Some of my ghosts are hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yes, Once my son separated them and Nancy cleared a coffee table, there were papers everywhere. They don't mean any harm, just their childish ways. I love when they're playing with one another. They talk in twin language. I have no idea what they're saying, and to top it off, they speak in low whispers. On occasion, I'll get a glimpse of them out of the corner of my eye. The twins will be running around the house. I think they're playing hide and seek. They love attention, but can easily entertain one another. They like to play with other spirits. They make friends easily. It makes them happy. So there you have it. For thirty eight dollars, would you purchase Nancy and Jane.
Speaker 1: No, that that person's a total bullshitter. They wouldn't get that. They wouldn't get rid of these dolls if they were doing stuff like that and it was cute and they had ghosts in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: They sound like a blast. If they're that amazing, they wouldn't be selling them for thirty eight dollars.
Speaker 2: No, I would not want to get rid of them.
Speaker 1: Nancy and Jane have some good fashion, and the white cocked berets are a real I don't ever think I've seen a look quite like this. I've seen a lot of looks.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely adorable. It has seen many looks, I know, I've seen a.
Speaker 1: Lot of looks. And you know, they're little metal rockers that hold their little eyes open or shut. They're just you know, they're not like they used to be. They do have some really strangely placed freckles that look like somebody really savagely went out the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that is sort of a makeup trend two that people will draw like little fake freckles on their face. So maybe they were you know, they went to Sephora and said, oh, that would be a cute look to try.
Speaker 1: I think felt it marker, but yeah.
Speaker 2: That would probably work best on plastic skins.
Speaker 1: Goodn't cheap filt it marker.
Speaker 2: You want to hear some ghost voices, Yeah, it's time for EVP or ev plicse. So you know how this works.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: I go to the internet, I find eletterdred ghost voices. Isn't a ghost speaking whodos? But I have actually gone to TikTok and found two EVPs Electronic Voice phenomenal. We're gonna give it a listen. I want you to tell me what you hear, and then I'll give you some options. One of the answers being what the person that captured I believe it saying okay, okay. This first one is from TikTok and it is from Entity Voice PI. This channel is pretty much devoted to evp's Now I will tell you first time I heard this one, I was like, I don't know about that, but I can kind of hear something when I really focus on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm closing my eyes all right, here we go. It sounds like pot and then let me play it, guys, like give me some bot or it's hot. It's hot like you're burning me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do hear that at the beginning, Yeah, and then it gets real it's a horrible sound after that. Yeah, that is not pleasant.
Speaker 1: It just sounds like somebody breathing way too close to like SM fifty eight with the cap or something.
Speaker 2: Well, they believe that it's saying like a short sentence. So do they believe it is a whoa? I thought my niece was broke? Damn is it b halt, do not come any further? See what you want my name? Or d is it just the sound of somebody ripping up papers while popcorn machine is playing in the background. All right, here we go.
Speaker 1: Any guesses, Well, the closest one probably is halt, don't come any closer.
Speaker 2: They believe it is c what you want my name?
Speaker 1: I would I would not have guessed that.
Speaker 2: Now that we know it, let's listen, I can kind of hear it. I mean it's a little bit of a stretch.
Speaker 1: I mean the suggestion has been put there for me now though, so I'm like, well, I still kind of hear the hall. Don't come any closer more, even though that wasn't what was said.
Speaker 2: Well, here's another one, and this one is very good. This is from at Secrets in Shadow and TikTok, and it is at a place that seems very terrifying called the Monroe House, and that is in Hartford City, Indiana. What does this go saying?
Speaker 1: OW?
Speaker 2: I don't like that. Let me play it again.
Speaker 1: I want some quiet.
Speaker 2: You want some quiet.
Speaker 1: That's what it sounds like. It sounds like it's going I want some quiet totally. It also sounds like the beginning of that song be quiet. It's like a seventies rocket. Oh, I think of it.
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 2: Is it a where is the choir? B? Why is it quiet? C? Why are you crying? Or d?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Just like a noise? All right, let me play it again.
Speaker 1: Why is it quiet?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 1: Why is it so.
Speaker 2: I kind of hear why are you so quiet?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like, why so quiet?
Speaker 2: Why so quiet? It's a good one. Let's do one last thing. I'm just going to list off a bunch of unexplained paranormal whatever kind of stuff that's on this topic. I'm gonna list them off. Just tell me if you have any thoughts on it, Maybe you have a story that comes up any of that. All right, here we go. Okay, what do you think about psychics.
Speaker 1: I think there's real ones on superes.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to any.
Speaker 1: No, But I know a couple of people who are natural healers who weren't and then suddenly they were, and they just weren't bullshitters at all, just like not not the kind of people who are, you know, they were kind of not guileless because that makes it sound like you're dumb, but just don't have any sort of you know, they just don't have any hustle to them whatsoever. They're like terrible liars, can't put up a front, just super super super genuine who you see is who you get kind of people. So I believe in some of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think there's a lot of ways to Like, I think there's a lot of people that do it because they do genuinely want to help people, and I think that you can develop those abilities and yeah, do it for the purpose of helping people. I think that that definitely exists. And then of course there's a lot of people that use it just to scam away. And I think one thing that happens a lot is that people will turn it into their job and then they start like faking it because they're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, like I need to deliver, got to keep the lights on.
Speaker 2: Any job, you can kind of go into autopilot or whatever and just sort of do it if you needed to. But it's hard because it's like, well, if you're going to talk to my dead loved ones, like, don't fake it, like now, come on.
Speaker 1: That's like when you're in job crisis and you need to decide if you really want to do this or not.
Speaker 2: Exactly So, how have you never been to a psychic after all these years?
Speaker 1: Well, I've had my taro read before, but I've never been to a psychic. I don't know. I don't I couldn't pay somebody to do something like that. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Do you believe in taro when you've had it read? Or is it just sort of a fun little thing?
Speaker 1: Or I think that stuff like taro and things of that nature, I think they get you to pay attention to yourself in a way that maybe you wouldn't normally. So while they may not have magic properties in themselves, they get you to pay attention to yourself, and therefore you may change your consciousness about something which is all magic is supposed to be anyway, right, it's a change of consciousness. So intention is very powerful. I think that it's kind of like there's a I don't know if you've heard of these, the Brian Eno cards, the oblique strategies.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So like if you're recording and you're stuck and you don't know what to do or doing anything. It's stuck and you don't know what to do. He made this deck of cards where you draw a card and they'll say like start again from the beginning, or throw everything you've done away or something, and you know you can do it or not. But if you decide to go down that rabbit hole, it's like it's like little tunnels. It gives you like little rabbit hole tunnels and you can choose to pay attention and do the rabbit hole or not. But doing it is pretty fun. It's like a puzzle totally. So I do believe it.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes it's if you're like stuck with something or whatever, just like to somebody, somebody outside of me, tell me one thing, and that's what I'll do. Like, I think that that can lead you down really cool paths. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And I think people are inherently magical. Ooh, In general, I think we all have the capacity.
Speaker 2: Do you think some people are more magical than others?
Speaker 1: Definitely? I mean some people are so we're just very divorced from our natural selves. Are natural instincts, and you know, things that are considered magical are often considered very female or feminine, and you know, have been classified as hoaxes or wives tales. You know, the very name wives tales just indicates that it's thought of as bullshit when really their instincts and you know, some things, of course are ridiculous, but ridiculous things do happen.
Speaker 2: On a scale of zero to David Copperfield, How magical would you say?
Speaker 1: I am, You're definitely at David Copperfield level. Yes, but you've got a whole three D. I don't know how to explain it. He's kind of two dimensional. You're kind of like three D in the round like happening.
Speaker 2: I'm like a Sigfried and Roy and the Tigers. Okay. Do you believe in synchronicities? Like do you read into that kind of stuff or do you just let it go and go, oh, coincidence or whatever.
Speaker 1: I think I don't check it out too hard. But I do believe that if you go with a path, it does take you where you're supposed to be right and the trusting yourself and you know, following things that feel good but feel smart, not just feel good, like you know, doing a bunch of beer bongs and then they got to feel good for twenty four hours, Like the consequence has to feel as good as the beer bong when it happened the first So you know, the vomiting part kind of cancels it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not where that. Do you believe in Bigfoot?
Speaker 1: No, I don't why. I think that it's caused a lot of problems with indigenous communities in northern California, Like bigfoot tourism has been a real problem, and uh, you know, whatever the belief is amongst the different tribal nations, like that's their thing. And you know, if somebody wanted to tell me about that, I would listen openly and you know, probably understand. But I don't believe in, you know, just bigfoot happening.
Speaker 2: I like that. I mean the thing I always talk about with bigfoot is like I personally have no interest in going to look for bigfoot. No, I love to hear about it. I don't know about it. I just don't. I don't know. I think it just doesn't it doesn't want to be talked about. And I think that that's actually kind of a beautiful thing. And I think it's kind of like, then let it be well, yeah.
Speaker 1: The spirit of the thing like that. There's a lot of North American indigenous tribal stories that get turned into other things and co opted and oh, of course, so Bigfoot is is kind of the He's like the SeaWorld of that, you know what I mean, He's like the SeaWorld park, Like, come and look at the whales. We've got him trapped in these tiny little refrigerators where they can't move, you know what I mean. Like right, that's how Bigfoot makes me feel. Bigfoot makes me feel like mm mmm, no, no, I leave the Bigfoot alone.
Speaker 2: What about like that famous video from the sixties, Do you think that that was really a Bigfoot?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I think there's actually I remember my sweetheart Jeff over here recently actually showed me some footage where they clarified the film you can totally tell it's not real, And I was like, I could tell it wasn't real before you need, you need space age technology to tell you.
Speaker 4: That was real.
Speaker 1: Even as a kid, I just couldn't. I was one of those kids who like religiously watched in search.
Speaker 2: Of Oh yeah, some of those are on YouTube.
Speaker 1: But I still was not. Like I never felt the inner blockdust monster scared me a little, like the snake in the water, like, yeah, that's spooky, but the Bigfoot.
Speaker 2: There's people that look at those slowed down versions and HD whatever. I don't know all the terms, but whatever, and they are so convinced you can see muscles, it's not like a suit like you can see the different I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, I can't. I can't get with that one.
Speaker 2: So there's been some acknowledgment of the existence of UFOs, and not just UFOs, but that there have been bodies recovered and discovered from these unidentified fine objects. It was said under oath, do you believe in that kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: I believe that there could be intelligent life that is not from this earth, but I don't believe in that. No. I do believe the possibility that there is intelligent life elsewhere, but I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: That we have been in contact with them.
Speaker 1: No, they don't.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: I want to, but I can't. Everything in my body just goes no. But you know, I grew up in the seventies. I'm gen X. Like that stuff was like shove down my throat, like that was the meat and potatoes of shows like In Search of and stuff like that. And I think that the bad styrofoam aliens that people made with the triangular head with the big eyeballs, like it just was too ridiculous. I just couldn't. It's like, why don't you didn't you just use a catfish while I don't know, it just seems so ridiculous. I just my little he was like, nope. It gave me the big foot feelings, like nope, I believe in it, but I don't believe in that it And I you know, I don't believe that they built the pyramids in Egypt or in South America.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that whole thing. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's just some racist weirdness I think happening.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think a lot of times, yes, absolutely, And that's the thing again with like aliens. That's why I've always been That's why the first few years of this show. I was always like, I just want to talk about ghos because it gets so close to conspiracy stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like how do you like, how do you talk about Like I read a lot of authors who happen to be indigenous people and they talk about beliefs that they have, like you know, the star beings for example, right, like that, I don't disbelieve, Like there's so much we're so kind of overrun with, you know, the horrible conspiracy theory. You know, aliens built the Pyramids, Aliens are in the White House. You know. It's like, no, there's just greedy dickheads in the White House.
Speaker 2: We all know it, Yes, Like come on, these people with the lizard people, yeah, and the Illuminati, and it's just it turns into a whole scary side of TikTok that I have found myself on before. And my whole algorithm turned into just people being like eight things that the government is lying about.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't like the newborn baby having mother with the ghost. I don't have time for this, just don't. My life is short, not doing it well.
Speaker 2: And that's that is sort of how it feels, where it's like, oh god, now the aliens are coming. I mean, it would be nice to shake things up a little bit around here, like.
Speaker 1: Come up with a new conspiracy theory if.
Speaker 2: It was positive, Like if the aliens come down and they want to like like these makeover TV shows, they want to do that to Earth. It's like queer or something. But they're just like, all right, Earth people like, honey, what are you guys wearing? What are you doing with your planet? Like, We're gonna help you and then we're gonna leave. That would be great.
Speaker 1: Get those tires out of the ocean. Why are you dumping garbage there?
Speaker 2: Come honey, those tires and the ocean are tired. Let's let's clean this place up. Honey, it is a mess.
Speaker 1: You've got a real spoon in the kitchen. You don't have to use that plastic spoon.
Speaker 2: Come exactly. That's what I'm hoping happens, and maybe.
Speaker 1: It will Alien Makeover.
Speaker 2: Alien Earth Makeover this fall on HGTV.
Speaker 1: Or Alien Bakeover, Bakeover.
Speaker 2: Bakeover Bacon. Hey, Nico, this has been a great time. Thanks for doing this again.
Speaker 1: Anytime you ever need me, I'm here, Oh Nico, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Hey what do you what do you want to tell people where to find you, what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. I just want to say, Hi, how's it going. Sometimes I'm on tour. Not right now. I just got done. So right now I'm at home working on a book and gardening.
Speaker 2: Is there anything you can tell us about this book?
Speaker 1: Just write in one we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Wow, we will be looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Last night I thought maybe I felt a ghost behind me in my house, and I was really excited because I thought maybe it was happening, And it wasn't.
Speaker 2: What was it.
Speaker 1: It was just a reflection of a light on a door with a glass window in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to cut that part out, and I'm just going to keep the part where you say you felt like there was a ghost.
Speaker 1: Okay, I am the most disappointed guest you can have on your Now you're fun. I want it so bad, rus. I want to see a ghost or feel one, or hear one or smell one or whatever.
Speaker 2: Careful what you wish?
Speaker 1: Sure? All right, Nico, thank you, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to Niko kas Ew. Guys, I love you, I love you so much. Please make sure you're still telling people about this show, and you're still tuning in and all of that stuff because it's spooky all year round around here. I love you all, both the living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me came back. This has been an exactly right production. Want to share your paranormal experience on the podcast. I read stories out loud and sometimes I'll even call you, so email me at ghosted by Raz at gmail dot com. You can send a DM or voice message to the show's instagram at ghost by Roz. Give us a follow while you're there, and follow me Roz on Instagram at roz Hernandez and on TikTok and Twitter at It's Roz Hernandez. My senior producer is the Startling Jiha Lee. Associate producer is the alarming Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed and sound designed by the Eerie Edson Choi. My guest booker is the petrifying Patrick Kottner. Additional production support from the hair raising Hannah Kyle Crichton. My theme music is by the spine Chilling Brendan Lynch Salomon. Artwork by the Spooky Vanessa Lilac. Photography by the terrifying Elizabeth Karen. Executive produced by the chilling Karen Kilgareth, the spooky Georgia hart Stark, and the frightening Danielle Kramer