Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. Hey, what's up, everybody. I'm Roy Wood Jr. And this is Beyond the Scenes the Show where we go deeper into the topics that you see on the Daily Show. You know how they have the Talking Dead for the Walking Dead, and you know Talking Bad for breaking Bad. Well, this is the Talking Show for the Daily Show. You know it. Never mind, we'll come up with a better name for it later. Basically, what we're going to be talking about today is our segment Dulce And featuring TDS correspondent Dulce Sloan. Basically, these are explainer videos that go a little bit deeper into topics that you know, people need to know a little bit more about, like the history of the strong black woman or the Nineteenth Amendment. This week, we are talking about how female MC's shaped hip.
Speaker 2: Hop hip hop.
Speaker 3: It's how we know what bottles to pop and what luxury items we can't afford.
Speaker 2: And we've been living in a.
Speaker 3: Golden era of female rappers with legends like Missy Elliott, Lil Kim, and Lauren Hill, not to mention Megan thee Stallion and Cardi B dancing with a certain African who misplaced my ticket to the Grammys. But did you know that female rappers have been viewed in every era, every era, every every era that didn't work.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: Rap's history is full of women who have largely been forgotten, like Sylvia Robinson, the woman who helped create hip hop. Sylvia was a singer, record producer, label executive, and the first person to rock the Pharrell hat. She took rap from little known basement parties in the Bronx to worldwide commercial success in nineteen seventy nine by conceiving and producing raps first hit record, Rappers Delight. Not only was it the first rap single to conquer the charts, it also sold over a million copies. That's right, it went platinum, and back then we didn't even know what that was.
Speaker 2: They had to whip out a periodic table.
Speaker 1: To help us walk us through this segment of Dull saying, Please welcome, Dull say sloan, how you doing my love?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 3: What for those that don't know, I call it uncle Wold, your uncle Roy, even though he might be.
Speaker 1: I don't know when I ascend it to uncle status in the world of comedy in New York. But you're not the only one. We'll discuss that off air. Also helping us walk through this segment today is Deep Dive producer Chelsea Williamson. Chelsea, please also don't call me uncle. Welcome aboard, Hi ROI. I thought she was gonna still say uncle too.
Speaker 2: She respected her request.
Speaker 1: Now, before we get into how Chelsea does the research on these stories over in Deep Dive, d'll say, breakdown the actual segment, Dull saying for me, like, first, what is the purpose of the segment and just kind of where the origins of it the origins it.
Speaker 3: So, the one of producers of the show, Jen Flant, she approached me, She's like, well, we have an interesting idea of kind of like an explainer piece, like basically wanting to get like deeper information on the subject. And they were like playing around with a name, and she was like, what do you think adults saying? I was like, that's hilarious, and so like you know, like you were saying of them like the nineteenth Amendment and you know, the trope of the strong black woman.
Speaker 2: I believe we did one on hair.
Speaker 3: Care products too, write like black hair care product, black care. Yeah, so they are I see them as topics that only I can really explain.
Speaker 2: As a way to.
Speaker 3: Give our audience like deeper insight. So with this piece, it was to show the influence that women have had in hip hop and female MC's and the influence that they've had in music.
Speaker 1: The thing that I enjoy about dulceing is that it's just you delivering facts and jokes because like traditionally in the field department for the people who don't know, the creative process over in the field wing is you have to you pitch the topic and then the next question is, okay, well who are we going to talk to about this topic? Well, who can we get what expert? And then it's booking and the next thing, you know, two months of past because you got the perfect person, but they scheduled, don't and it's too much and you all can just go a right, We're just gonna talk about this now, Chelsea, because there is no person attached to this. That means that all of the facts have to come from Dulce, which means we get to have the facts right, which means you're the one deep diving on this. What did you do? I guess we could talk broader about Dulceain, but specifically about female MC's and hip hop. Where did you start that journey in assembling the pieces and looking at the history of it so that then the writers can come into that document and there's the joke. There's a joke. Then Dulce comes in and goes, that's a good point. That's the point I want to make. I want to make that point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like a lot of it.
Speaker 5: Well, this one specifically began through what happened with Megan the Stallion and Tory Lanes last year's shooting.
Speaker 4: Yes, the shooting last July.
Speaker 3: Preparatory Lanes has been charged in connection with the shooting a fellow hip hop star Meghan the Stallion.
Speaker 4: Lanes is accused of shooting Megan.
Speaker 3: The Stallion's feet back in July after she exited his suv during the flight in the Hollywood Hills. Got shot in both feet, yes, both feet, for feet after they went the party together, bastard.
Speaker 5: So we had been trying to figure out how are we going to put this into some sort of piece, like we need to do something because she is also not the first like female rapper that's something like that has happened to in this industry. So it just felt like, I don't know, it just felt like there was like not a trend, but like there. Yeah, it's like the sexism in the industry and how it affects like black women that specifically occupy the rap space, which is so misogynistic I think.
Speaker 4: Anybody would admit.
Speaker 5: So we wanted to tackle that in some way, shape or form, and it kind of ended up getting to the space of, well, let's talk about how women have influenced hip hop in general, because it's very much thought of as only men have done everything, and that it's it is still very male dominated. But as we showed and as Duels said, like black women literally founded and helped put together the first rap record, so it's like we've been there since the beginning, and you know, we deserve our flowers, and all the female rappers especially deserve their flowers because they never get them enough.
Speaker 1: Now I saw the piece and I was disappointed to see that Charlie Baltimore had been Ah, you passed over. Now, there's only so much time. That's not disrespect to matam. Charlie Baltimore, one of my things favorite rappers from the nineties, Thank you very much. But Chelsea, Chelsea Thend'll say, what were some what were some pieces of the historical timeline? Like what did you have to cut? Who were the rappers that you didn't get a chance to get in that because you know, I'm a Southern guy, so I'm already biased to like the mia X and the gangster booze of the w.
Speaker 5: X.
Speaker 4: Yes, No, we were so much for say X.
Speaker 5: We wanted to include Salt Pep and Spinderella. I mean, like they were some of the first ones. Like we had so many female rappers you have right right, It was it was like it was literally like Sophie's choice. It was like who are we going to mention because we know we're going to offend somebody, and we actually weren't even able to. Ideally, we had wanted to end like on where we are now and like Highlight, you know, the Megan, the Stallions, the Cardi B's, Nicki Minaj you kind of ushered in this entire new era and we weren't really able to so we didn't. We weren't able to get them in. We weren't able to get Trina the bit. You know, there were just a few that, unfortunately we couldn't, you know, put in but they mean so much to hip hop and like that's not at all, So you had.
Speaker 1: To focus on the foundation of the genre, of the gender in this genre. They'll say, well you okay with that Once you all came to that decision, like, hey, we ain't got enough time to talk about present day hip hop. Were talking from you know, back in the day. We're talking from Cross Color Karl Kanai right right up to TLC, and that's gonna be the cutoff, right.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's like I think us not being able to include more present day artists, uh was a bit of a disservice, but one.
Speaker 2: You got to cut stuff for tom sometimes.
Speaker 3: But also I think when it comes to the music industry and it comes to hip hop, everything is very much what's happening now, who's hot now, what's going on now? Whose album just dropped, whose single just dropped? So I think we're very much aware of who is popping currently. So I think it being a bit of a history lesson was beneficial to people because there's a whole generation of folks that don't know what Queen Latifa was a rapper.
Speaker 2: As only reason we don't know ice.
Speaker 1: Cube was argue me down about Will Smith, the youngest he has, he won the first rap griff.
Speaker 2: What are you talking to?
Speaker 1: Do they even know about the fashion influence like the young man? So I do sound like an uncle. You're right, young.
Speaker 2: Kids don't know nothing about this.
Speaker 3: I'm worried about that I'm gonna hit auntie status before I become a mother, and don't I can't handle that situation. Queen Latifa burst onto the rap scene with the pro and message. Her song Ladies First showed off not only her lyrical prowess, but also uplifted women and name checked other female mcs. She was shouting out more women than Mambo Number five than in nineteen ninety three. Her song called You and I t Y called out men in hip hop for referring to women as bitches and hoes.
Speaker 1: Bitches and holes. That's my bad. I got caught up. I can see why I shouldn't have said that. I'm gonna just leave it. That's where I think dul Sin is such a rewarding segment because in a lot of ways, when you're doing segments that are about black issues, Chelsea, how are you all making sure that you're honoring, like because a black person or white person will watch your segment different if we just gonna be blind. A black person is looking to see confirmation of things that they already knew, and it's great to see it being presented to another audience, whereas non black viewers it's kind of a well, damn, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: That it's information, Like that's it's interesting you said it that way, because like that's how I view like just my stand up just as a stand up comic. Like when I'm trying out a new bit, I'm looking for information does this work? Once the bit is established and I know it works, then it's confirmation. I already know this is funny. I'm just waiting for you to catch up. So when it comes to these segments, it's I know one group of people, Like when we are looking through scripts and we're fact checking, it's I gotta make sure that black people won't go, hey man, that's not no.
Speaker 2: You should have you should you should have said something that's not.
Speaker 3: Right because like when we first got like the first job of the script, when we were talking about Queen Latifa and they were referencing her being a character on like her playing a character on Living Single, her name was wrong in the script, and I just was like, her name is Kadija, not whatever they put in, and I'm like, oh, we gotta fact check that. I'm like, what the hell are you fact checking? I just told you a whole the black person just told you. I not only did I see all the Living Single the first time, also watched it again in lockdown.
Speaker 2: Her name is.
Speaker 1: To be fair to some of our writers in the building, they'll say Living Single was up against Seinfeld in the same time Sladter on Thursdays and Mad About You. Don't ask me how I know I listen.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think Mad About You might be one of the reasons I have to think for these you know, God shows some people.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I've been trying to figure it.
Speaker 1: Out and I was like, oh, that's a separate podcast.
Speaker 2: That's not it. That's a separate lifestyle.
Speaker 3: But I do like the fact that we're making That's where when I look at pieces like this, like when we're talking about you know, the black hair products and things like that, there are certain that when we do these pieces, I'm always like, Okay, we have to make sure we have a black writer on this, because sometimes of a black person if I don't like being questioned because I told you what the shit is? What are you asking me? Well, we gotta we're gonna do Google? Is Google your reference? Because I just told you. So that's when you're saying, like black people are looking for confirmation. Anyone who is not aware is looking for information. So you want to make sure. And that's the thing with all of these pieces, you have to make sure that you're doing both things. You don't want to misinform, but you also don't want to say the wrong stuff because black people be like y'all could.
Speaker 2: Have just bruh.
Speaker 4: Y' know, they'll call you out there, Chelsea.
Speaker 1: Before we go to a break real quick, I have to ask you a question since I know you were in on the writing part of this. There was a particular correspondent that was written into this piece whose job it was to just come on and look like stupid man who interrupts woman and.
Speaker 3: Rapping in a group is great for a female MC because when the man repeats what you just said but slightly louder, he's not being sexist.
Speaker 2: He's being a good hype.
Speaker 1: Man, being a good man.
Speaker 3: See, women weren't just part of raps birth they also invented the rap beat.
Speaker 1: The rap beat.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's enough.
Speaker 1: Whose decision was it to put this brother on the chopping block in front of all the black women's on the internet. How does that happen? Like when you start having all these extra cameos and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like sometimes it's it'll come out of the Deep Dive team, like we'll be like, oh, you know, what would be a funny addition here is like the idea of like a hype man, and especially like ironic because we're talking about you know, women MC's and I don't know, just like the cultural meaning of a hype man in hip hop is just so important. It was just funny, Like it was like you can you know, and nobody else would have made sense, honestly, Roy, Like it's like.
Speaker 2: Who was it supposed to be?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: White man?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, after the break, we're gonna get into a little bit about our own personal relationships with hip hop. Since I am the eldest uncle, I'm sure I remember some people that maybe you two don't, and we'll we'll compare notes on which female limces influenced us the most. This is beyond the scenes. We'll be right back on. Now, let's talk for a second about your personal relationship with female limces and hip hop, like as women, as Black women's, as women's. Yeah, the representation, how I'm joking but no, but seriously, how empowering was it to see that, you know on television or did you all always see that and feel like it was not enough? Chelsea, I'll start with you.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like the most impactful one for me actually was probably Nicki Minaj because of when she came out, which was like the latter half of my high school years, and I want to say that was like the first rap album i'd bought for myself with Pink Friday. I don't know if I really got like the magnitude of the moment when I bought it, but like I knew that, like, Okay, this is this is going to be great.
Speaker 4: I love this girl.
Speaker 5: It was also because she was featured Mariah song and I'm a huge Mariah Carey fan. But other than that, I would say yeah, and then side note for that, Mariah always featured a lot of female mcs on her remixes in the nineties and I loved those, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah she did. Mariah had a nice little relationship with hip hop in the nineties, and then she would go.
Speaker 3: Remix one of her songs, you a song with Bone Thugs in harmony, Like Maria, she got an album under Tony Matolan was like, I'm with all the black people now, Negro old dirty basket.
Speaker 1: Tell him to shimmy all over this track Logical Platinum. They'll say you're a little different, in my opinion, than Chelsea, and that you came up in a city two cities actually, Miami in Atlanta that acoustically are so unique that it is possible to be a fan of someone who is Gangbusters regionally, but nationally people don't necessarily connect at the gangster booze or I guess for your era crime Mob.
Speaker 3: Right, because like, hey, yo, we nucking, we bucking. People only think when you talk about who was in Crime Mob? Who did they talk about Princess and Diamond. I don't know what them dudes names are. Clu, no fucking clue.
Speaker 4: It's true, it's true.
Speaker 1: So who were some more of the mainstreams that you that you kind of fell in love with coming up?
Speaker 3: I remember as a kid, uh seeing Queen Latifa perform Ladies First on TV. I don't know if it was like in Living Color or it was like on a late night show, but I remember seeing Queen Latifa perform on TV.
Speaker 2: I like Tool Free Staff, the cloud.
Speaker 3: Stick Mob, But it only seemed like there were mainly like female rappers from like the North, because like you like, you know, Queen Latifa MC light in Salt and Pepper, And then like when Dubrat came out, it was like, and the Brat's not from the South either, but she was with Demaine Japrix, so by.
Speaker 1: Default she's she's Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought. She's from Chicago.
Speaker 3: So I think the only the first time I really heard a female rapper that was from a sound that I was accustomed to was when Dibrat came out to would be on songs with Jermaine Duprix.
Speaker 1: The thing that I thought was very interesting, it seemed like there was and you all correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like when female EMC's first came in the game, there had to be kind of a rough gruff, you know, EMC like stuff if.
Speaker 3: Your afro puffs, yeah, Lady of Rage, yeah, because I remember his daughters.
Speaker 1: That was another regional one out West.
Speaker 3: My mom did my hair like her one time, like Lady of Rage, but like I had a relaxer, so I couldn't have afro puffs, so my mother bought Burgundy. Leave well may This is like in like the mid nineties in Miami, so every little girl had.
Speaker 2: Grown woman ass hair.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Like I remember being in like elementary school and being like, we're playing touch football to day and it was like me and like seven of the black girls being like these are fresh fingerwaves, coach. Nope, I ain't running around in Miami heat with fresh fingerwaves. Nah, dude, just gotta last a Sunday. So my mom gave me gelled on my hair down and I had legit Burgundy afro puffs because apparently my mother really was a fan of the lad.
Speaker 1: Are there pictures we need pictures of that?
Speaker 2: NaHg I did even come from a picture to take a family.
Speaker 1: Go to the Daily Show Twitter account if you want to see Dulce is.
Speaker 3: Maybe one day baby, But yeah, I re so like I think because I grew up in the nineties, I remember seeing a lot of female rappers and then there weren't any because like mc light on, where she went and then like you know, Trina and Gangster.
Speaker 2: Boot popped up.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of like when people talk about like, Okay, there can only be like one big black comic at a time, right, So it's like it was prior and there was Eddie Murphy and then you know, now it's you know, the Chappelle and Kevin Hart. So that's like and then they're just going, you can only have one big female rapper at a time when there's a bunch of dudes talking nonsense all day and everyone's on board with it.
Speaker 1: I always felt like there was a feeling where there was proud to be a woman. There was like a proud to be a woman era of lyricism within female hip hop. And then it was I'm as bad as these dudes and I'll beat your ass era lyricism, which is kind of the brat and it was just kind of gangsta boob, which is a little bit Trina and Trina was kind of that transition and little Kim.
Speaker 2: Get paid, so you walk to your girl, like the name just flid on my.
Speaker 3: Eyes, like that ask to pay and then to get to yah yeah, with the mom and.
Speaker 1: Lay kind of overlap of I'll beat your ass. But also we can have sex if you would like to have sex, which one would you prefer? And now I feel like female rappers have given so much space now finally to be all of the different things that a woman could be. Like I love And I'm not saying this because she's from Montgomery, Alabama. I really enjoyed Chica.
Speaker 4: I really enjoy MILLI too is from Alabama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from Alabama.
Speaker 1: And there's this expressiveness of no, I'm going to talk about my inner thoughts and my wants and I don't have to if I choose to, I don't have to sexualize my lyrics. You have the freedom and the right to. But I can also be something else in the industry goes ah, Yes, you come, come get a record deal too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's a lot more choice nowadays than there used to be. I do feel like, you know, that gap that we were just talking about, that kind of happened after like Kim, Foxy and all of them came up and they changed the entire game. Like, if we're being one honest, you know, Kim and Fox made women owning their sexuality a thing it wasn't really talked about often from the women's perspective in rap and hip hop the way that they were talking about it before them, but kind of in consequence to that, that was then expected of all female rappers for at least a decade, which it's just you need to be the next Kim Foxy, which means you need to be dripped in Gabana, like they said, you need to be talking about sex. Is like all the time you'd be selling sex like it was a very specific archetype that they wanted for so long, and record labels even have said it now that they said women rappers were just too expensive, and that's one of the reasons there was such a long gap is they were like, we don't want to get a rub and rapper because then we got to pay for hair, we got to pay for nails, we got to pay for your you know looks, we got to pay for all this stuff. You've made it now so expensive to be a woman rapper, and then you're acting like that's the reason to gatekeep.
Speaker 3: Also, it's like with I mean with little kids, like the thing I remember specifically about being like when I was like middle school going into high school.
Speaker 2: One look.
Speaker 3: Kim has a line in her song where she says I could make a sprite can disappear in my mouth, and there.
Speaker 2: Was way too many people attempting.
Speaker 1: This, just a lot.
Speaker 3: Joe just destroyed, just just just and then feeling an out of I'd never tried it because I was like, this makes no sense. And then I remember a rumor about little Kim having to go to the hospital to get her stomach pumped because she'd had a wild night with a couple of men. And let's just say there was Uh, I don't know how to way to say this and keep a Christian.
Speaker 1: Ejaculator.
Speaker 2: I guess it's the best way to say it.
Speaker 1: It's I think I think people get the gist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I mean she did too, so it's like this is so sexual, but it seemed like it was we're being open about our sexuality, but it was still through a male gaze. Yeah, Like it was like I'm gonna talk about sex as a woman how men talk about sex. And I still felt like it didn't feel like it was from a woman's perspective, like I think the I think it took like Nikki or now especially Megan Thee Stallion and Cardi B, but especially Megan Thee Stallion. I was like, this is what it sounds like when a woman talks about sex, because Megan's always talking about a man pleasuring her, you know what I mean as opposed to because it seemed like a lot of times, like a Little Kim and Foxy Brown, it was still them talking about like they were open with their sexuality, but it was still talking about pleasuring a man. You see what I'm saying, like them receiving pleasure from pleasuring a man, as opposed to you know, Megan the Stallion being like, yeah, you're gonna go down to me while I play a video game, Like you're like, yeah, that is about her. They call me patty Cake because the wet that ass says, I'm gona make them feed me up.
Speaker 1: While I'm watching We Gotta Go to Break. But I'll tell you my female rapper that energized and awakened me. And it's in that same Little Kim, Foxy Brown, Trina sexualized Bravado era, but you had real flow as well. That's the other thing, like this wasn't gimmick grap These women had bars, But for me, it was mia X because mia X was so counterculture to what everybody was doing and when master p dropped umbout It in nineteen ninety five and they shot that video in the Calio Projects and mia X she's wearing a black baseball jersey and she's got a baseball bat. She's wearing a do rag and I'm like, this woman will beat the shit out of me my undivided attention now.
Speaker 5: But it's home.
Speaker 2: Just hooked his yead. I'm plowing coming from the press.
Speaker 3: And tacking us and riding the buck.
Speaker 4: Some go to bat.
Speaker 3: So your pet be backing, lope, see you have hope coming, Like, tell.
Speaker 6: Me you don't bring rama.
Speaker 1: That was the woman that just like, oh yeah, but that was the one, Like to this day. I met her at Essence Fest and I basically told her that story. I was like, just you with the back and she said, yes, baby, I will beat the ship out of you. I said, thank you.
Speaker 2: Look at her. Yes, I remember seeing her.
Speaker 3: And the thing is because like Queen Latifa has never been like a small woman, right. I don't know how this makes sense, Like you know how like Ashley Graham is a plus size model mm hmm, but she just looks like a She's not a fashion regular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's the type of curvy that they want.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, So that's how Queen Latifa looked to me. But when I saw me an X and I'm like, oh, I don't I know a million women that look like this woman. I am I currently like I look like like she. She looked familiar and she felt familiar, and so and little Basch's in my neighborhood started calling me me X and I was like, I don't hate it, so actually thank you.
Speaker 2: But I remember hearing her and going.
Speaker 3: Absolutely like yes, like I was always happy to hear her and to see her, and it was it was like, it's felt like master p really fucked with her, because it seemed like sometimes like it's right, like sometimes when these girls and these like the women in some rock groups are just like, oh yeah, we got a girl. She uh come on, he comes out some words, come on, we got a girl, which is where I was great. The Crime Mob had two girls who have the two like the one you know I love knuck if you buck. We've all decided at work that it would be the new Negro Spiritual. But it it was the same kind of feeling because when you would be out in Atlanta, that was the lines like there versus you would just see just hood ass dudes in Atlanta at everybody's thinking, like because sometimes you know with dudes, they'll like stop on the female verse m cause they're like, I ain't gonna say this now. When Diamond Princess came on, everybody was they were like, we don't care today women because he's bitch just going in. So I like, I was so glad when there got to be more female Southern rappers because this was a style that I liked, and I was like, I know, there's got to be women out here rapping that from the South, Like it doesn't make any sense it's only New York chicks doing.
Speaker 4: This, even in regards to mea X.
Speaker 5: Like that's also getting into the fact that so many of these labels really got famous off of the female rappers that they signed.
Speaker 4: The one mia X is one of no limit.
Speaker 5: I want to say hers was like the first album that like started charting. If I'm remembering the BT and documentary they did on them last year. Ruthless Records with Easy e jj Fad, which was an all women rap group, was the first record that started charting for them and put them on the map, like and those aren't the only two examples.
Speaker 4: It happens so much.
Speaker 5: But again, like nobody gives the women their credit that they rightfully deserve.
Speaker 1: This mia X bar and then we're gonna go to a break. This is mia X. I'm about it Soca nineteen ninety five poetry. I keep your ear holes lace with my pimpterous funk punk's player hate because they shit be bunk, it's trash. But I duck somebody's head into a toilet full of piss because in this drama feel fool. We eate take it no shit man.
Speaker 2: Come on, bars, bars.
Speaker 1: We go beyond the bars and beyond the scenes. After the break, I want to talk to you all about the challenges that female rappers are facing now in the industry and kind of things are headed. I'm Roy jingor this is beyond the scenes. We'll be right back. We've been talking about all of these amazing mcs and the ways they influenced us. Before the break, we forgot to talk about Lauren Hill.
Speaker 2: Funny, how money change a situation, and.
Speaker 1: Just what Lauren Hill meant to that brain. Because we talked about the transition of lyricism out of sexualization into whatever, which way you wanted to go. I think it's fair to say that Lauren Hill was able to kind of expand minds in the sense that, oh, if you don't want a pop yakoucie, you can also talk about this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, I would definitely say that I don't think we would have a Drake without Lauren Hill. If I'm being honest, just in terms of like the ing, like I mean, if we want to trace the lineage here, I'm just saying it exists.
Speaker 1: But you know, in terms of the Lauren Hill two point zero.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know if I go that far with him, but like you know, he's he's a good attempt.
Speaker 4: But you know, I don't think we'd have him.
Speaker 5: We wouldn't have an Azalea Banks, we wouldn't have like so many now rappers incorporation.
Speaker 2: I mean, do well, where is she?
Speaker 5: I will also very much say the Azalea Banks before everything recently.
Speaker 2: But man, she need help, I know, like we don't. We don't. I don't know why we don't want to help her. We put up with Kanye's foolishness.
Speaker 3: We have, we have, But I guess if she was considered a genius then yeah, we would.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then to that point, then don't say what are some of the biggest hurdles that are faced by female mcs, Because Azalea is a woman who's been very vocal about the industry and the shadiness of it. What are some of the things that you think women em sees are dealing with today that they weren't saying nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 3: Now you can meet too these niggs. Before you just had to take it like before you couldn't say anything in all. Also, would anybody have cared in the first place. But if you're because if you're coming out rapping about you know, suck Nick's pop and pussy b da da da da da da da dah, are people gonna have any sympathy for you When you go, hey, this man was being inappropriate, You're like, ma'am, we got two albums if you being inappropriate. So I think now you're able to you're able to have some agency over what happens to you more because now you can hold people accountable in some form of fashion.
Speaker 1: So the abuse that happens to women rappers within the industry, they can call that out faster, to weed that out and have a better chance of having a career that's not the teared by that type of drama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I'm sure like a lot of female rappers because you see, like because I've always wondered, like you have these female rappers and I'm like, where'd she go? And I can't always believe it's like, oh, her record stop selling. Also, there's more, there's more ways to release your music. You don't have to be beholding to something like if you could produce your own album. There's comics that produce their own albums and put them on Apple and put them on Spotify and all this other stuff. So you yeah, soundclouds and we got plenty of SoundCloud rappers. So you know, if you get enough following on YouTube or Instagram or any social media, you can kind of skirt around a lot of the nonsense that rappers, you know, female rappers in ninety three or two thousand and three we're dealing with because you don't have to be beholding to some man having a choke hold on your future. It's like, well, you know, if you do this, then you know, we might not put your album and like, I'm fair, I don't need you are out of the whole internet, or put this album all over that.
Speaker 1: That's Cardi B all day.
Speaker 2: Right, So I have space. I'm not.
Speaker 3: The system is going like the system broke, the system broke. You can release songs for free if you want to, just to get your name out and so you don't have to wait to be the one female rapper that they let pop every five years.
Speaker 1: Why is that, Chelsea? Is that? Are the women rappers held to a different standard, because from what I can hear, the songs are just as hot, the flow is just as good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I definitely think that women rappers are held to different standards. I think this is actually something Dull Say and I were talking about. Is just it's kind of no matter what industry you're in, women are constantly underestimated and thought of as lower, and especially in rap, which is so male dominated and misogynistic. Like these women are still getting asked whether they write their lyrics. I'm like, men don't even write their lyrics anymore, Like why is that even still a question? Like people are still like, oh, did Cardi B write X y z da da da da da, And it's like does it matter? Like you know, like who cares? But then on top of that, like they have drinked out.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm like, that's why we have the whole feud between him and Meek Mill. But you know, like even with all of that, these women are also supposed to be super fashionable all the time. They have to have all the hell of choreography. Like they're dancing, they are giving you they're rapping, they're trying to dance like they're Janet Jackson and at the same time like still trying to like keep a bomb flow and like have great lyrics like and the men just aren't listen. Migos can walk around three times and they'll be out of breath. There's also just the fact that there's so many mediocre rapping men out here, like but we can't have a female equivalent of that. Or whenever somebody is like not to whatever x y Z standard is, it's suddenly like the whole hip hop world is gonna, you know, go and burst into flames because this girl can't rap on beat or whatever.
Speaker 4: And it's like, you know how many men can't most of them?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think for me, the true measure of equality is allowing mediocrity truly, because when I think of because like only twenty percent of comics are women, right, So out of one hundred comics, twenty of them are women. And I I had a conversation with uh Oh. I held the shade back in. I held the shade back in. I'm so proud of her. I'm trying to be blessed this year. And but he was like, I don't know a lot of like women killers, like a lot of women killers. And I'm just like, are you looking for male killers? Because he's like, well, you know, I'll see a lineup and I'm like, out of ten comics.
Speaker 2: Only one of them is a woman.
Speaker 3: Out of a lineup on a show, out of ten comics, there's usually one of them as a woman. Out of these other nine comics that are all men, four of them probably are okay, but all every female comic is represented in this one girl.
Speaker 1: Right, she has to destroy.
Speaker 2: She has to fucking destroy.
Speaker 3: And so, because when women succeed in a male dominated industry, it's just like when you're you know, any marginalized group that is trying to be successful in an industry that's either predominantly white or predominantly male, you're going to have a problem. And you're going to be held at a different standard because it's like, well, you need to show us that you're as good as us, And I'm like, half of your motherfuckers are trash, so I only need to be as good as half of y'all.
Speaker 1: Technically, yeah, but the industry wants you to be undeniable across the board, better than any man we've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I'm really waiting for the day where female artists because it seems like as I've gotten older, the less and less closed female artists have on just in any like the only girls that are still really seeing like fully dressed or like country singers girls still got closed. Everybody else about half naked. And I was like, okay, when we can get to the point where you can listen to a woman perform a song.
Speaker 2: And she and.
Speaker 3: Something in her titties aren't out her asses and not just literally fully dressed, then it's just like okay, because if it was because also, there's a lot of ugly male rappers, a lot of them. Yeah, facts, there are no, there are no ugly female rappers.
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 1: Hang on, let me think, hang on, let me think, let me see. Yeah, they all yeah, all eights eights are better. It's a lot of fours with the male rappers.
Speaker 2: Negative sixes is out here in the.
Speaker 1: World, but they'll say, you don't think that. Wat being performed at the Grammys was like this major moment for sex positivity.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it was absolute, and it was interesting to see the Watts uh freak out to the point that they were having like medical professionals interviewing them like well, is this the thing? Like, well, no, actually, if if this is happening to you, then intident disorder.
Speaker 2: Bitch.
Speaker 3: You're not gonna sit up on a white man's Internet and tell me that a wet pussy is a disorder. I'm not gonna do this. I'm not gonna listen to this nonsense. We're not gonna No, I'm a Christian, I'm not gonna listen to this. So it was crazy to see people just short circuit over this song because like I remember the first time I heard it and I just was like, I don't think I'm old enough to listen to this song.
Speaker 2: Truly, I need adult supervision. This song needs to come.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, this is why parental advisory stickers were invented, because they were like, well, our children, I'm just like, listen, it is not TV's responsibility to raise your child, period, and like, well, we'll look up to them as role models. And I was like, if your children aren't being provided with better role models than Cardi B, there's something going on. There's nothing wrong in your house.
Speaker 1: So Chelsea, as we wrap up here, who should we be listening to? Now? Who's the furture of the women's Who's the furture of black women's female hip hop?
Speaker 5: I love Flamilli, I love pre Runway. I am Dochi.
Speaker 4: Sweetie.
Speaker 5: I feel like is like gonna have like she she's about to hit that atmospheric stage.
Speaker 4: I feel like that we were talking about.
Speaker 1: She's coming around the corner too. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: She's dropped that dead weight and yeah, I feel like those ones. Those are the ones that I listened to mostly. And then of course like Megan, I feel like she hasn't really hit like that big, big, you know stage yet, but I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's like at the Grammys. I think that's the next thing. You know. It'll be interesting though, because I feel like last year was kind of a mulligan because of COVID. That is no touring, and touring is just as important to female artists, to musicians in general, but to really tour a single, that's a very very important part of being able to become atmospheric and go to that next level. Well, this was a fun conversation. We didn't even get a chance to talk about. Then white women rappers out in Oakland?
Speaker 2: Are you talking about be Nasty?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. V Nasty got canceled? And then what's the girl that did the Gucci Gucci song?
Speaker 2: And then I think she had.
Speaker 4: Like a remix with Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we we and we never got to talk about Iggy Azelia.
Speaker 2: That might be Australia. Australia listen, listen.
Speaker 1: The shades coming out at the end was just that was.
Speaker 4: An Azalia Bank special. She came up with that.
Speaker 2: That is one hundred percent praise God, you think her for it?
Speaker 3: Murder business, d murder business was great. And then she started going on like the press tour and then she started talking and everybody.
Speaker 2: Went, oh, you fwhere.
Speaker 3: Like Keith Urban is Australian And that's still confusing to me as well, right, but we let it ride. But Iggy Azalea, listen, when we found out she was Australian and everybody dropped her like a hot rock and t I just had to go, I'm sorry, friend, and just let her go. If she'd have been from Atlanta, she'd have been fine. She'd have been fine. If she was from any She could have been from Wisconsin and we would allow to Montana, North Dakota. We don't care. We might have gave her Canada, Australia now.
Speaker 1: Next time, the next duels saying will do white femalecs.
Speaker 3: Ha listen, I love the Nasty And then she kept getting trouble for saying the inn word and she was just like, but my friend said, we're like when I playing no, and she's like, but we're like no, and she just would not stop saying it and she got canceled.
Speaker 2: But cray Sean was fun.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, yeah, this girl's got about two years and it's going to be back at that office depot.
Speaker 1: Well, v Nasty lived up to her name. I can't thank you all enough for joining me and leading me and the listeners through this wonderful, wonderful journey. Female MC's and hip hop Chelsea Williamson Daily Show, Deep Dive, thank you, Dulce Sloan as always. You can see Dulce on The Daily Show and you can see Chelsea's great work on The Daily Show every single night. I'm Roy Virginir. This has been beyond the Scenes. We just went beyond the scenes. We did it. Now we're back in the present. Gucci Gucci Gucci Gucci fifty fifty product. Listen to The Daily Show Beyond the Scenes on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or wherever you get your podcasts. I wanna go even further beyond the Scenes. Check out the video version of Beyond the Scenes on The Daily Show's YouTube page.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast