Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the technology is. I'll never understand it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't become a woman in stem when I wasn't one to begin with.
Speaker 2: Okay, are we writing a musical?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: Are we called author? Hi? I'm Sienna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten, And welcome.
Speaker 1: To Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth anniversary edition. You know, go listen to it if you haven't heard of that before from us. And we're now watching movies by women in these trying times.
Speaker 3: This podcast is a safe holiday for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching After Sun.
Speaker 2: Speaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah totally.
Speaker 2: Hey, warning there will be spoilers about this very recent Paul Mescal Paul Mescal film, and just a fat content warning that we will be discussing the theme of suicide on this episode.
Speaker 1: And and severe depression.
Speaker 2: Severe depress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. As I was writing my summary, I was like this, I need to content with this.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who knew we're.
Speaker 2: You have no idea. Yeah, great, okay, all right, I'd love to hear yours based on your vibe. Right now, Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch as voice. I do not know a thing about this movie. I don't know who's in it. I don't know when it's from, I don't know how long it is. I don't know where I'm gonna watch it. Maybe at some points in the film it will be night time.
Speaker 1: You're right, Maybe it's romance.
Speaker 2: Nope, love you bye, you knew. Let me write about I had seconds before recording that, woken up from a nap, Like my alarm went off and I opened the voice memos at on my phone.
Speaker 1: Totally that that's how that's how it sounds. I think it's nice that we as humans, like when we wake up from sleep, which is what we have to do, our body is completely not ready to go. It's like been completely used up. Yeah, such morning. Yeah, I guess I was sleeping on my throat.
Speaker 2: I suppose right on the cords.
Speaker 1: Well, that was an amazing prediction. She guessed that it was night, and it was night many times, so it was a lot of the time. But next to my prediction and it is a competition every week all ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi Leanna, this is Sienna.
Speaker 1: I'm about to watch the film After Sun, which I have not heard of. But I'm guessing it's about vacation or the summertime. Yes, somebody gets sunburned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's like about it, you know, people falling in love in the summer and their teenageing.
Speaker 1: Not no, or it's a forbidden love story. No, I love you goodbye.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of some like what you put on after you get a sun d Yeah? Is that the name of a product? People know that word.
Speaker 1: It gave me that vibe.
Speaker 2: I think so well before we talk about what happened to us watching that. Hey girl, Hey girl, Hey girl. I I'll start. I'm in a mode that is has not changed much since finishing this film roughly nineteen hours ago. I was I woke up. I said, okay, new day, New day, knew me. Yeah, But then our WiFi went out for the second time in three days. And listen, I work from home no many days of the week. And I said hello, and it's a like, no, there's no issues in your area. It's just not connected to the wall correctly. And I was like, well, it was ten minutes ago, and there's not been an earthquake, so I'm not really sure what what you feel could have occurred here. So we're rocking a personal hotspot right now, totally. I am pushing my monthly data limit to the limit, totally with abandoned I am facetiming on cellular data and doing a personal hot spot, all from about sixty six percent battery on my cell phone, which is of course an outdated generation of a phone, because I'm not buying into that rat race. No way, I'm doing this. I still use corded headphones, and you're not gonna get me, although girl, uh huh, allegedly, ostensibly, perhaps I was gonna I was trying to think of a third adverb, but this movie broke my head, so whatever. I believe that the mic in my courted head phones has stopped working, which means I made a phone call while on a walk the other day. Oh headphones in as you do, yep. But the person at the end of the line was like, hello, Hello, Hello, I can't hear you Hello Hello, which is so that's one of the worst states to be in emotionally, I think Hello's on the receiving end of Hello, Hello, Hello, because you can hear them and you are speaking, but it's just going in. It's like a living nightmare. I'd say it's a speaking nightmare. And what that meant is that I had to unplug my headphones and hold my phone up to my ear for forty minutes and speak on the phone like it was the eighteen hundreds. Again. I looked like an idiot. I looked like a ghost from the seventeenth century. I mean, I was unrecognizable to the modern world. Leanna already has a phone in my hand. Leanna's face, as we've done discussed before, is very sort of a period piece traditional. Yeah. Yeah, so she can have got a traditional face.
Speaker 1: She can easily be mistaken for another time period. So she get me messing with things like being on the phone, you know, or mailing a letter or something. People will assume she's a No.
Speaker 2: You see me on a bicycle with one big wheel and one small wheel, you're gonna think it's an interaction with the paranormal, which is.
Speaker 1: Too bad, because that's the lines they have.
Speaker 2: And get me away, keep me away from the line. Bikes that are one big wheel on the wheel. Yeah, so that's where I'm at, just kind of all over the place really pretty much nothing's working.
Speaker 1: It sounds like we're getting by too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey girl, Hey.
Speaker 1: Girl, Well, speaking of a personal hotspot. Uh okay home?
Speaker 2: Wait? Oh no, do you have a UTI again? No, but that I.
Speaker 1: Wish so I could call it that. I'm dealing with a personal hotspot situation. He's having trouble with my personal hot spot? Oh really, are you out of data?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, I have a UT.
Speaker 2: I I'm sorry, Please continue.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about the same kind you're talking about. Uh. I. We did a White Lotus screening outside, but we forgot about walls, so our WiFi didn't come through. So we used my personal hot spot and I immediately got a message that was like, you've seventy five percent of your hotspot for the month.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: Fortunately I'm not wolf going anywhere.
Speaker 2: We're on the yeah question mark, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: But uh it was. It was bonkers. So did you finish White Lotus?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did. I watched it with our neighbors and we were on edge for ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. The coconut milk is off.
Speaker 2: The coconut milk is off, real, give me about anything at any time. That's where. Yeah, right now in my home, the coconut milk is off. So Sienna, could you please off give us the synopsis of the film after Son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, after Son. I'm sorry, content war. This isn't funny. This isn't like a funny summary. No, after Son, Sophie remembers her last vacation with her dad before he dies by suicide. Yes, and it's about depression in a big way. Mm hmm, that's that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very It goes about it very indirectly, like it's not showing you things very explicitly. And I don't mean indirectly in like a critical way. I just mean, no, it's it's a lot of show don't tell, or it's it's all very implied. That's the word.
Speaker 1: It's a lot you don't tell. Yeah, I would say, I mean very certainly loving, very certainly tasteful. And it's like it wasn't it wasn't gratuitously about somebody thinks very truthful. Yeah, so it was definitely carefully done. But it is a very sad subject matter. But it's mostly like a girl and her dad on vacation, and every now and then you get glimpses of like him just not doing well or regulating. You know, Well, Leanna, should we get into our phone notes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I was able to highlight about three okay, oh fantastic and mine. It took a while for me to really clock what was going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I kind of think this Okay, first of all, before we get into it. I think it's been clear on our podcast. But we're two girls who struggle with depression. Hey, that's kind of why we started Mama Mamas with depression to talk to each other. So we didn't go crazy.
Speaker 2: We made each other go outside and take a walk and speak on the phone to another human. And a podcast was birth.
Speaker 1: Niche as as as it should be, as it should come to be. Yes, so that will true people.
Speaker 2: But I did when a woman and a woman are both very depressed.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure if I missed some things that were like more like directly feeding us the fact that this man had depression. But I might have missed that. So it's like it was definitely a slow okay.
Speaker 2: It's a slow reveal, but I was kind of artistic.
Speaker 1: I feel like this show is a good litmus test for this movie is a good litmus test for how much you like I feel like I usually don't understand movies or like the symbolism this one. From the very beginning, when he's in his room and he's like doing weird things with his hands, I'm like, he's either on drugs or severely depressed. Oh, because like it's both, because like I couldn't tell what they were telling us about the dad yet, but that was the first thing. And then when he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did you really like clock it?
Speaker 1: I really clocked it when when he was staring down at that carpet for a long time, which he ended up lying down on, But when he was staring down at it, I'm like, that man wants to be lying down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I actually liked that it kept it as sort of simple as that a lot of the time, you know, and like later there's more. You know, he's again like not like dealing with these dysregulated emotions and everything. But it was honestly a very earnest depiction of somebody just like being elsewhere in their mind, you know. Yeah, but it's like, when did you clock it? Okay, when did you clock it? This man was depressed?
Speaker 2: Well, this the whole time. I had this feeling where I was like, why am I so worried that this guy's gonna die?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I chalked it up to being traumatized by the concept of film.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, that's just me being anxious because men make movies that make me feel like something's going to go wrong at any time.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: But then it turned out that I was right. Yeah, and I said, oh no, I think it became pretty darn obvious to me when he ran into the sea in full street clothes. Yeah, that's kind of when the deep of the night, I said, oh, okay, hello, hey, yeah, hmm, seems like he's not long for this world.
Speaker 1: I guess that was intense.
Speaker 2: Fuck me, man, Okay, let's do our Let's get into our phone notes, the segment of the podcast where we read the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film.
Speaker 1: Leanna, your first note is Sienna, where are you at red h Paul Mescal And it is Paul Mescal, Paul meskal.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know off the tongue, so nicely.
Speaker 1: This is the dad.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh my god. Oh yeah, oh my god. I don't know him. Well that's evocative.
Speaker 1: Oh did I enjoy him in this film?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you did not watch the TV show Normal People? No, but Leanna, I just read the book this week. I read the book Sally Rooney's Normal People of another book that is not good to read.
Speaker 1: Feeling upon God getting back from a tour.
Speaker 2: He's he's Connell in Normal People.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I have to watch He's amazing. Oh I bet he's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh I bet he's I mean, maybe don't watch it now while you're in your slum.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the mama.
Speaker 2: Come out of that, Come on out of that before you, before you click play on Hormel People, because you'll be devastated for eight, possibly ten episodes. Can't remember how long it is. There's literally I mean, you'll know what's coming. But my god, yeah, my god. Okay, so you're not and you didn't watch Gladiator this week? Will Nope?
Speaker 1: Nope. He was so wonderful though. I thought they were both great, like I really did. She was spunky, she was not afraid of life despite being eleven years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that child. I also thought she had the face of a grown woman I know.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, you're the younger version of a grown actress that I know. But then I realized that can't be true. She's a child right now.
Speaker 2: Can't be right, right, I know it was. It was mind boggling.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said, ah, the starfish undertones of the Celtic, the Celtic Celtic. But no, Ah, the starfish undertones of the Celtic.
Speaker 2: M m. This boy was pink pink. Little Guy Paul is pink and game recognized game Mama Paul is pink Pink Paul. When you go outside as someone with Celtic heritage and you get a little warm, you turn pink. It's just a fact of life. It's unfortunate, but it is true. And this film was a lot of pink Guy, Pink Paul, Pink Paul filling the screen. It was like a close up on the back of his neck.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, oh wow, yep, that's just a wash of pink your origins. Sorry, everybody, the sun has come out and that's just not gonna work for me and my heritage. I'm gonna go back inside wilbur right back Leoni Lehana, you've said being pale on holiday is so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, because you can see everyone around you getting tanner every day, and you go out again and it's pink again. It's the Pink Pony Club. I I attend the Pink Pony Club when I'm at the beach. That's my cabana. I'm gonna keep on dancing at the Pink Pony Club where I become pink because of my starfish undertones. And then you return seemingly unchanged. When people get back from holiday, often people are like, oh, you look well, But if you're pale, it's like you either you've caught sun damage and people are worried for your health, or it looks like you never went anywhere in the first place. How dumb pony club.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said dinner and a show.
Speaker 5: You said, dinner and a show and the show is white people doing the macarena.
Speaker 1: Give me my money back. That's an excellent commentary. I would be pissed off dinner and a show and the show is white people doing the macarena. Yeah, that's true. That was the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the evening's entertainment because was that the karaoke night or no, no, it was a separate night.
Speaker 1: That was their first dinner performers performing the macaras staff at the resort.
Speaker 2: I mean the film was the nineties in so many ways, which I did appreciate. I love a boxy Sony television and a Panasonic camcorder, I love I love those. But five white people in polos doing the macarena. Who some things are best left in the past. Yeah, oh, this is in my notes later. But I wanted to ask you, do you remember what you did for your eleventh birthday?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: When she asked her dad that and he knew exactly, and I was like, what.
Speaker 1: You know, I remember other people's birthday parties too, Like one time we made pajama pants for somebody's birthday. Pajama He went and did like a little sewing. It was like a sewing less Oh my god, because all you have to do is sew one thing, and pajama pants pretty much. They just like showed us how to sew the draw string or something, and then there was like cake deck, so the pants are already made. You know what. No, we must have made him the whole way. Yeah, I think we made the whole ones because because they looked really bad, like everybody did a really bad job.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, we.
Speaker 1: Were like eleven. We did a horrible job, of course. But I do remember being very excited to be eleven because I love that number.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: So I don't remember what I did. I bet my mom would remember. What about you? Do you remember any of your.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I know it was laser tag a lot fun. Yeah, I think that's very like somebody who has an older brother core total. So I was like, I went to his laser tag birthday and I was like, this, rocks, I'm gonna do this.
Speaker 1: That is awesome.
Speaker 2: I feel like it could have been laser tags fun.
Speaker 1: I didn't did it LT I did very rocks. I did quiet feminine birthday parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sewing is very quiet evil. That's nuts. Did you do like milk churning.
Speaker 1: Another literally for one birthday party?
Speaker 2: Up the laundry?
Speaker 1: I'm not joking. I did a Little House on the Prairie birthday party once because oh my god, I loved the Little House of the Prairie when I was little. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't I don't know what was it like the long dresses or the big sleeves. What was drawing into the little house on the prairie.
Speaker 1: I think it was very a very cute read. As a kid, my mom would read or Ingles Wilder, and they just did very like simple tasks that as a kid are in you know, like, oh, they're making maple syrup and I'm like, wow, you know, it's so cool. And she made her own dolls out of corn husks and things. But then I would watch it on TV, which is funny because I think it's actually like a pretty bad show just from the eighties. But I was like, I love this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm sure there's no moment of like, hey, what why did these white people end up on the prairie in the first place.
Speaker 1: Oh, of course, I will say, and you know, shame on me, But I wasn't thinking about that as a kid.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know that you have to shame your childhood self. Shame on me for for that one. I think shame on the creators, right, and yeah, and shame on the Americans at the time, Shame on those doing the colonization.
Speaker 1: Shame on them. Speaking of shame, shame, you said if I were an octopus, I would not want to be on a child's head.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. When she is doing her news report into the camera, she's like, the coolest thing ever just happened. We went sort of scuba diving, and the diving instructor put an octopus on my head, and I was like, imagine being an octopus, just floating along, tentacling along, doing crunching numbers, being intelligent, being one of the most intelligent sea creatures, and then you are grabbed out of your thoughts and placed onto a child's head.
Speaker 1: Ah. They're very intelligent.
Speaker 2: Animals, so I know they disrespect my disrespect. I would not want to be on a child's head. I don't want that.
Speaker 1: You would be such a funny octopus. You'd be so pissed. Leanna. Yeah, you've said pink get dune.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this TikTok?
Speaker 1: I do, But is the word pink in it?
Speaker 2: Or you're talking it's a Scottish it's a Scottish man. Gosh, this really applies so wildly in so many ways we've talked. It's a Scottish man on TikTok talking about musical artists. Pink. Oh yeah, of her like aerial flips, and she is crazy harness stinks at her content contests, and he's like, I'm not one to criticize very often, but pink get done. And when Paul, when pink Paul is standing on the railing, the balcony railing, my first thought was, pink get done.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to call him pink Paul. It's really cracky. Pink Paul, You're a pink man.
Speaker 2: Pink Paul mescal.
Speaker 1: Yes, Leanni, you said, sir, do karaoke with your daughter. Oh my god. The way they depict a depression in this is just like in way so it's like I can't do that activity today. I cannot do it. It was I'm not fun today. I'm not fun today.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. And it's always so hard when the not fun day hits at the same time that your loved one wants to be doing something Like I once had a not fun day on my mom's birthday, like at her birthday dinner. I was just like an incapable of like yes, being there, you know totally, and I still feel so bad about it. Like it's just it's like those things that are out of your control. But then have an impact on others as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally so real. There was some like some party for some extracurricular group in college and it was happening at my house and I didn't go downstairs for it the entire time mmm, And people were like what the hell? And I was like, yeah, I just for some reason, I was just having trouble getting my I feel really bad because I couldn't really get my shit together. But in retrospect, I'm like.
Speaker 2: He was having a depressive.
Speaker 1: Episode, like I couldn't go downstairs.
Speaker 2: You know, it's nuts. It really grabs hold of you. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: That was sad and it comes out as like anger for him, but he's just like I can't. I just I m hmm, I'm unavailable. Yeah, Leanna, you've said benevolent teen.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, do you remember the Benevolent teen which one comes and gives her her all access?
Speaker 1: That was so nice.
Speaker 2: Wristband and that was so benevolent.
Speaker 1: That was so benevolent. That was a very benevolent girl.
Speaker 2: Benevolent is really becoming a favorite adjective of mine recently. It's like a really favorite way to describe a character in a show or flim very useful, useful, so benevolent.
Speaker 1: Leanna you've said, Leonna, you said, oh, okay, I guess naked in a sleep is better than dead, but only by a little.
Speaker 2: So this is right after he runs headfirst into the ocean, and I said, now I know you're not earlier, I noted, I'm about to be really problematic about this, because I thought it was at that point. By that point, it had become clear to me that his character, his arc is like, at some point, this guy dies by suicide, and so I was like, is it gonna happen during the movie? I know, And I was like, I know you're not doing this on vacation while your daughter is not even in the hotel. I know that's wrong, which is problematic of me to have as an opinion.
Speaker 1: You must seen, also said, I said, very similar vibe. I said, certain, you cannot be that unwell, which is like, that's problematic. But what I meant is like, I'm like, you're not gonna leave your daughter, like I just yes, yeah, uh uh. And he does full in a way that I'm not drinking.
Speaker 2: So I was feeling all of those things and I was like, you are not, No, that is wrong, and then it turned out that he'd like done that while he was like, you know, many beards deep, and then came back and took all his wet clothes off and then passed out in the bed. And so by that point I was like, oh, I guess naked and asleep is better than dead. But then I remembered that he was nude, and I said, well, only by a little you. It is not appropriate to be nude, not applyings are like a little more chill around nudity. Yeah, yeah, it's not so insane to them.
Speaker 1: Impression of a lot of like British comedies, like I remember we used to watch like The Vicar of Dibley and stuff, and there's a lot of like butt like you would like see your father would fall asleep and you'd see his butt and it would be like, Oi, OHI cover your arms.
Speaker 2: Huh. Oh sure, a lot of bunt humor, mooning, very moaning.
Speaker 1: It's a mooning heavy Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yes, god, you're right. I always have just managed to forget that I got mooned, and then you you helped me.
Speaker 1: Remember life finds a way.
Speaker 2: We've come full circle, if you will. It was so square in that window though it was hard to come perfectly square arse, very squared.
Speaker 1: But Leanna, you've said I once slept through several wake up calls and the front desk were very annoyed with me. Oh my gosh, when was.
Speaker 2: That sorry to the front desk. This was in twenty twelve and we were staying in a fancy hotel and I I sleep through anything. As we've discussed a few times on the pop. I've slept through earthquakes, I've slept through fire alarms, I think no. Oh no, I've slept through exams.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: And I did not hear this demure phone ringing, because of course it was a fancy hotel, so it had this like tweet like hell, hell, hello, you are receiving a call. Hello. I'm not hearing that through my cacophony of insane dreams that my head produces every evening.
Speaker 1: There's like that's not breaking through metal screaming happening in your head.
Speaker 2: There's like seagulls for some reason, and everything's kind of my childhood home but slightly different. We're trying to break through that with a polite phone to tone. I don't think so, but I heard in the voice of the person that they were very done with ringing this number.
Speaker 1: And you were there in the room alone. Had your family gone off to high or something? No offense? You guys, that's a positive.
Speaker 2: Yours family's just so different than my family in this way. My parents were in a different room, and my brother was not on the trip. Okay, he was in college at that point.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Were they climbing something? No offense?
Speaker 2: Did a benevolent team just gift you their all access wristband? Don't get yourself a fruity beverage. We'll see you in a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said all your your your your your notes are just such a they're they're ping ponging emotionally. Leon you've said, I'm sorry, okay, it's kind of breaking my heart. Yeah, that was because he.
Speaker 2: Just wants, like he feels so bad that he couldn't be there for her and like do karaoke with her, and he also wants her forgiveness, so he just wants it to be okay. So like saying i'm sorry is so different from saying I'm sorry okay, question Mark, like I'm really sorry, and also please make this better, like right now, like please assuage my guilt over this immediately and it was just again, it all felt very truthful. But yeah, that was a little heart bracking a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh their relationship was so sweet.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Oh he's so unwell, so unwell, I really, Leoni, you said, off he goes to Starr and Gladiator too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when they were in that ruin and he was climbing up to the top of it right before they sing him like happy birthday or whatever. The British song version of that is nothing at all, but before he feels nothing when his back is to the camera, I said. There. He goes into the set of Ancient Realm, into the coliseum.
Speaker 1: When he was standing up there, they're singing, you know, for he's a jolly good.
Speaker 2: Friend, He's a jolly good pink Paul.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they didn't say that for any listeners, just so you know, that's inaccurate, what Leanna, you've said.
Speaker 1: All right, your final notes. This one I almost brought up earlier because they made me laugh. But I'm glad I waited till that, which is this is like a very poignant and devastating moment of the film, and Lean has written crying and nude, beyond inappropriate, all the way to unacceptable. He's literally in his most vulnerable state, cannot get a handle on his life. We see when he's alone, he struggles so much. He's crying. He's raw, crying and nude.
Speaker 4: You can't be nude crying and nude.
Speaker 7: Yes, no, no, sir, I understand depression, but that is too.
Speaker 2: Draw the line at nude. Stop being nude. Cover up.
Speaker 1: You do not need to be nude to be depressed.
Speaker 2: Throw on a short here's a towel.
Speaker 1: Beyond inappropriate, all the way to unacceptable. So the crying makes it worse. I don't know what you were so pink, So it was he just was nude. And I know you're feeling a lot of emotions, but I can't perceive them when you are nude. By the way, it was from the back, like we didn't see anything.
Speaker 2: Oh, but it was clear you saw nothing.
Speaker 1: It was you were supposed to know he's nude. I'm just saying, like, it's not like we were assaulted with with like somebody with a very raw naked body. It was like just his back.
Speaker 2: And you know, he was so pink, the whole back a pink canvas.
Speaker 1: Pink with sadness, pink with inherented.
Speaker 2: God, the exertion of tears. Mm hmmm. If you are going to cry, great, happy for you that you are processing and experiencing that emotion, But you need to have at least two layers on.
Speaker 1: This is right after when his daughter got a bunch of people to sing Happy Birthday to him, he felt nothing, and then we see him alone at his most vulnerable state, crying his eyes out, alone when he's away from his daughter. Nude and nude, I just.
Speaker 2: Sitting on something while nude. I don't think that's right. Put something between the hole anywhere and thed.
Speaker 1: You've never sat down while nude?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Nakedness is for standing moments before you've gotten dressed, seconds in the shower, and you don't look.
Speaker 2: Showering is very hard for me because I do not look down. That is not the.
Speaker 1: One good thing is that I do. I am able to stand, which I must do when I am nude.
Speaker 2: I'm only ever vertical if I'm nude.
Speaker 1: My naked, my naked bottom has never felt the touch of a seat.
Speaker 2: Or an Obno, oh, my goodness me, no, I just it's polite I think it's a bit of decorum to put something between you and and the the object, the furniture.
Speaker 1: Well, on your final note is this film left me troubled, which I think is the intention.
Speaker 2: I typed that, and the whole time I was like, okay, all right, all right, I see what's okay? Yeah, And then I typed that, and then the credits started and I heaved a sob and then I did not stop crying. Yeah, I was crying like an hour were yeah, like racked with like big something. My flatmate came home and walked into the room and I was like hey, and they were like what. And I was like, we had to watch After Sun for the podcast, and they were.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, yeah, that happened. My friend called me right as it ended, and I just I couldn't. I couldn't pick up Yeah, but I'm like I can't, No, I need a minute, no, no.
Speaker 2: And I famously cannot cry on these meds that I'm on, uh huh, which is like, I think, kind of a negative side effect TVH Like, there are often times where I'm like I wish I could cry, just to like feel these feelings and process them and move through this. But the pros are outweighing the cons so vastly that yeah, mama's medicated. And so the fact that it was like, I mean the again, the activation energy or whatever to get me to cry is so high and this shot past that pushed me right over the edge. Wow, hello, my damn lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the ending for people heavy sobs, it was like we see him dancing in this room throughout, and at first when it was like happening, I was confused, like what rave is this?
Speaker 2: I was absolutely I was confusing.
Speaker 1: Was then it turns out it's like that's representing him in his in his depression, like elsewhere in his.
Speaker 2: But she's also there because adult self, as.
Speaker 1: An adult, she gets it because she she's his daughter, she has the same thing. She also deals with it, and so she's later she's watching his young self in this rave and she tries to hug him.
Speaker 2: She tries to like hold on to him. Yeah, well like kind of get him back.
Speaker 1: He's alone in there, and and then when he turns and walks in there after he says good bye to her, it just takes over him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a very well uh executed ending, and it made it all make sense.
Speaker 1: I found it all very beautiful, beautiful in that way like who the person who clearly made it like thought a lot about how to represent these feelings. It was very like honest and m like compassionate.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel just like I feel like it's really easy to make depression, to feel like this sort of like this inescapable on we and it's kind of like let's watch somebody feel nothing. But it's not like he's like he's trying and he loves his daughter and he you know, like I don't know. It just wasn't extremely gratuitous. It was just really sad. It was really sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh gosh, well.
Speaker 1: Shall we move on to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's move on to badges. Trages where we award badges for burns, comma sun being avoided, and tragedy they were doing they were doing skin coverage.
Speaker 1: They were because they know, and trages for.
Speaker 2: Trauma Turkish vacations that lead to processing trauma. Yeah, I have a badge for throwing roles at the white people doing the macca and then running away. I loved that when he was like, let's throw roles at them.
Speaker 1: She was like, yes, I have a badge for the just sweet father daughter relationship. It's really sad to think that he doesn't think he's going to be there forever. But the things that they were like comfortable talking to each other about and everything was so sweet and they had so much fun. I don't know, it was just like a really sweet frame and hip.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for a hair rap. Oh when she gets that hair rap where you take a little a tube of hair and you wrap string around it in an artsy way, that took me back. Oh man, oh yeah, the little.
Speaker 1: Thing in her hair. Absolutely, yes, so cool. So you come back from vacation to school. Sorry I was on vacation.
Speaker 2: Sorry yeah, sorry, actually sorry. Badge for Okay, I'm kind of obsessed with this kid from the motorbike game, that boy who comes and races with her on the motorbike game. And then later they're at the indoor pool and he goes, I'm not a great swimmer, so it suits me, and I was like, oh my gosh, okay, I love you. I just loved it, so it suits me. So funny that boy is honest and mm hmm respectful, respect boy.
Speaker 1: I'd say I have a badge for I just it just felt good to understand a movie and part of it I'm like, ah, because like depression is something I think about and I'm interested in. But also it was just I think it was just a really good movie in terms of getting across the symbolism and everything. Yeah, you know, like I just it's so nice to have symbolism be in like a rave and not a naked woman for some reason, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's always something horrible that I don't understand usually, or like someone's getting hurt, like someone was hurting, but no one gets like nothing bad happens to somebody for no reason besides their own tragic experience. You know what I mean. I don't know, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it again, it was just offling a badge to that as well. It was so truthful that moment where we see her her adult self at the age that he was, and he's also there and she's trying to like hold on to him. Yeah, because like one of the common things that people who've like lost somebody close to them to suicide feel is this like need to control everything around you and this because it feels like something that's just so Yeah, it's it's like that is such a comforting thought of this, This like being able to really know what's gonna happen with everything around you, and that everybody around you is like safe and you know where they are and what they're what they're gonna do. So that was just that that resonated so much. WHOA yeah, Oh, I have a badge for shoving a child away from you by their head when he pushes her away by her head. I said, yeah, yes, And my final badge is bunny Ears doing bunny Ears in a photo. We need to bring bunny Ears back. When he gets a photo with her and he does bunny Ears behind her, I said, I miss the nineties.
Speaker 1: When bunny Ears was at the top of its game.
Speaker 2: Bunny Ears was so funny, it was fresh. I'm gonna do it. We must do it. We must bring bunny Ears back.
Speaker 1: Tragis tragis you go first? Because I have a few.
Speaker 2: I have a trage for too jarring, a style for having just woken up from a nap. Because the first thing is the rave imagery and I was like, whoa yeah.
Speaker 1: I will say I was like kind of on my computer at first because I was trying to get some things done and this was not the right movie to be kind of on your computer for I had to close it. My main trage is just kids like tweens like talking about sex. I think is very inappropriate. Like early when she was in the room and she they're talking about like one a kid says the word come and I was like, absolutely not, you should not know that word. The girls in the bathroom, Oh yeah, yeah yeah. And she's younger mm hmmm. And what I did like, is that a lot of all that stuff she's hearing. I think it did a good job of like she's just like a young tweet and she's just hearing things. And when you're a kid, like you're really tuned into that stuff. It wasn't like anything weird happens or she does anything where you like, yeah, she does everything that's like comfortable, but she's she's really clocked into hearing that's white. That's like very real.
Speaker 2: But I'm just like, you are a child, You are a child. You should be playing with American girl dolls. Everyone, everyone should be watching Little House on the Prairie, appointment.
Speaker 1: Viewing, yeah, not understanding the colonial overtones.
Speaker 2: I have a trage for shoes on the bed. She's very much in her travel with shoes on the bed and I said, no, yeah, mm hmmm, a trage for don't spit on the mirror. That was crazy, sir.
Speaker 1: I know you're impressed, but don't be spitting on the mirror like.
Speaker 2: You're not that on it. I felt like, you're gonna do it, wipe it off?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why what? What is the benefits? Gross explained to me the benefit of spitting on the mirror.
Speaker 2: I don't like the image of something left on a mirror. I don't like that. M Yeah. And my final trage is you know what, uh not for me?
Speaker 1: This was not for you.
Speaker 2: This film was not for me, and I thought it was really red tire. I did not enjoy watching it. And I think, well, we'll get into it in the segment should you watch this or but yeah, that's my final trage.
Speaker 1: I think that's completely fair, as this movie was not chill.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I was very affected by I had to go like set up for my show after that, and I was like, I don't want to talk to anybody. I feel very very sad.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I cannot imagine going somewhere after watching this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, today I'm feeling very like I liked it. I thought that a lot was really beautiful and I'm like appreciative of how careful it was about things, but like it was, I was not feeling chill.
Speaker 2: I was not feeling chill.
Speaker 1: Well, Leanna, let's move on to our next segment, of course, which is, uh, how to pretend you've seen this film. This is for you are at at a resort out there on at the beach, you're having you just got out from swimming, and you're enjoying some chicken nuggets or nachos, and life is life is good. And then some random what was the like motorbike kid's name, like Michael or Matthew or something I don't remember, let's say it's Michael. Sure, Michael comes up to you and says oi O.
Speaker 2: Paddington style way, oh uh, And you're like, whoa, hey, I'm just trying to enjoy my chicken nuggets and my virgin Pina Colada in peace.
Speaker 1: I saw you at the motor box earlier. I thought you might want to see me bum.
Speaker 2: A man from absolutely wherever, from everywhere, unknowable place.
Speaker 1: You might think it's.
Speaker 2: Funny if I moon you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then also in addition to that, the funniest thing in the world. Oh yeah, I was thinking maybe we could talk about a movie that everybody wants to talk about at any given time, the chilliest movie of all time, After Sun.
Speaker 2: And in order to cover Michael in Suncream so he cannot he's too slippery to speak, We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film after Son. Yes, Michael, I've seen After Sun. Oh and in order to deflect experiencing the deep emotions I feel around it, here is an insult that I thought of for Paul Meskal's character when he has that cast on his wrist in the first half of the film. This is what I would have called him. Dear Evan Hansen asked, thanks for.
Speaker 1: Revving up for that. Dear Evan Hansen ass aw, Yes, Michael, I've seen the film after Son. A reason this movie could get a lot of praise is because of how natural the father and daughter seemed, and according to Paul Meskal in an interview, he and Frankie Corio, who played Sophie the daughter, spent two weeks prior to filming in a hotel resort on holiday to form a bond that was needed to portray the daughter relationship while filming, I feel like they should say that also parents were there and stuff, which I'm sure they were, but that's fun that they just like in order to prep for the movie, They're like, we all need to go on vacation and have fun, Yeah, in order to be authentic, and they were there. Was very authentic.
Speaker 2: That's so real too, because I bet they also got like a little sick of one another, as you do on vacations. Yeah, especially long ones. Yeah. M yes, Michael. I've seen Aftersun. The scene where he is teaching her self defense but getting frustrated that she's not getting it felt very like when your dad tries to help you with your math homework and you both end up confused and angry, but most of all confused and pink with.
Speaker 1: Ray and pink with rage.
Speaker 2: Dad's helping parents having to relearn math to help their kids with math homework is an epidemic.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh my gosh. I did think about this some nights. Paul Meskell and Frankie Corio play father and daughter in the film, even though there isn't only a fourteen year age difference between them.
Speaker 2: He was like so young when he found this. He was supposed to be like twenty five or twenty six.
Speaker 1: Really, oh my god. Yeah, because he's supposed to be a young dad like in Israeli. Yeah, and she's supposed to be eleven, but I guess she's probably a.
Speaker 2: Little turning thirty one yeah, nuts, fourteen?
Speaker 1: Why is he so young? That's too young?
Speaker 2: I think this This was relatively hot off the presses of normal people, and he was hot, hot property. He was a personal hot spot after that show, everybody was trying to snap him up. Yes, Michael, I've seen after Son. You know, at the end of the day, he is a very good parent. He just has depression. Mm hm. And that's rough.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: God, the number of times I'd have to say to a child, I'm really sorry, I'm just I'm just really tired this. But that's because like the number of times I would snap at a child for doing something stupid and dumb and annoying and loud. Anyway, this unfortunately made me be like, okay, another reason not to have children, literally, like that is so rough. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: This is interesting. Uh, yes, yes, Michael, I have seen the film After Sun. I'm trying to read this trivia here where Charlotte Wells stated recently that in the two week rehearsal period when the cast and crew would do read throughs, her script purposefully did not contain any scenes where uh callum was alone, which is really where we see his depression. So that hm, so that it was sort of mysterious for Sophie as she's experiencing it, to like highlight that you know she's not aware. Yeah, that's interesting too because I think a lot of them when he's alone, they were barely seen. It's more just shots of him nude and crying.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: No, that's not to be clear that it's not that it's not every time he's alone.
Speaker 2: On bel he gets nude and he cries the second he's alone.
Speaker 1: Oh after some that movie about the guy who gets nude and cries. That is not what the film was supposed to be about. Yeah, you tried telling me it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Well would take away for me?
Speaker 1: Should we move on to our next segment, which is, uh, should you watch this? Or I believe that you had a suggestion for should you watch this?
Speaker 2: Org Okay, this is where we tell you if we think you should watch the movie or if you should do something else. I would say about after Son.
Speaker 1: If you.
Speaker 2: Have a personal connection to suicide and have lost a dear somebody who is dear to you who died by suicide, Hey, maybe don't watch this film.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: You will be confronting.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: But conversely, if you are on meds that make it difficult to cry and you'd really like to cry, and you've lost somebody very dear to you to suicide, hey, absolutely check out after Son. If neither of those are the case, Yeah, it's worth a watch. Beautiful, beautiful film. So no suggest strong acting, a little bit of nudity from the back though. If you don't want to watch this but you want to see a great pal mescal performance, I think he slaps in normal people. I think he's very good in it. And if you want something that's Brits on holiday but stupid, you can watch ben a dorm a show I've seen like two episodes of a while ago. Mm hmm, and it's very silly, Seanna, what would you say? Uh?
Speaker 1: First of all, I'm so sorry about this movie.
Speaker 2: We literally had no I was lolling I was lolling so much at us last week, being like, I don't even know what that.
Speaker 1: Is, like Summer Romance. I was, Yeah, I would say I really thought this movie did a beautiful job. I would not watch it without knowing what you were doing, because it's so intense. It's like very melancholy. It doesn't give any answers. It's just like, this is really sad and life can be really hard, and yeah, like people you love can struggle. It was really really sad. So though, I like, if you want to watch a movie that deals with those ideas, I think that this one is really tasteful and it's very beautiful and very thoughtful. But if you are not in a place for that, which I would really consider, something you could watch, which is the opposite. If you're feeling any of these things and you don't want to see anything like it, you could watch the show Ghosts, the British Ghosts, which Leanna put me onto, which is so delightful and I feel like it's sort of like a depression blaster, and I think I might watch it after this, after we've done OI this.
Speaker 2: They kind of go for a ghost ree watch. I love this idea fantastic.
Speaker 1: This film though, very beautiful, and I'm grateful that somebody thoughtfully made it. I really don't have takes about why how it could have been better in what it was trying to do. It did a great job. But after watching it, it really makes me want to watch Ghosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need a little antidote, Sianna. What would you rate the film? After Son?
Speaker 1: I would give after Son four point eight all inclusive bracelets out of five, But again, I really think it nailed what it was doing. I would take those point two off for just like how messed up, how difficult it is. But I really I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: M yes, slave but terrible.
Speaker 1: Leanna. What would you rate it?
Speaker 2: I would give after Son two bunny ears out of five.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: That's entirely for personal reasons, not for me, Mama, totally, but I think it really did a great job at what it set out to do and I never want to see it again.
Speaker 1: Totally completely. It was It was crazy that this is what this movie was. Yeah, whoa, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's been tossed Popcorn's review of after Sun. Thank you everyone so much for listening. We are on Instagram at tossed Popcorn. Check out that page for memes about this movie.
Speaker 1: Literally, the first two movies we've watched coming Back have been some of the most vulnerable, heavy, heavy m.
Speaker 2: Dealing with things.
Speaker 1: I guess this is what you get when you watch movies by women.
Speaker 2: Whoo whoops. Oh. We are also on Patreon for bonus content Patreon dot com slash tossed Popcorn. You can follow our personal instagrams if you feel like you want more of each of us. Sianna, Jacob and are you still at Siana, Benna Jake.
Speaker 1: I thought you forgot your own name for a second and.
Speaker 2: I would not put it past this day. Yeah, I've personal hot spotted out and at leonhold and join us next week when we will be watching I know what it is Jemmy to just say, yeah, the Marvels, it's gonna be good. Can I say something to this? Can I do a rare thing? It's not a spoiler alert, but can I set the mood for you for this film? Just go into it expecting to have a stupid time. Okay, I will, Okay, all right, we have earned that, We've earned a stupid time.
Speaker 1: Okay, just a.
Speaker 2: Silly and stupid rob Okay, wonderful. We'll see you then, Thank you, We love you.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for.
Speaker 2: The spelling of our dumb names.
Speaker 1: We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. A Lemon Fanta sounds so good. I've not heard of that. Oh yeah, Alemon so.
Speaker 2: Damn my god, remember rang Gina, Yes, so good that in that fat bottomed bottle.
Speaker 1: You really made the most of this traumatizing film experience because your notes. Your notes really cracked me up.
Speaker 2: You gotta be silly in the face of severe
Speaker 1: Crying and nude