Speaker 1: That's pretty interesting because I think people don't talk enough about.
Speaker 2: How Eminem is the greatest rapper of all time.
Speaker 1: Well right to white people, definitely, yeah, like like secretly and white people are like, oh no, I also like Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but he's very marshal esque. You know, he's very Methurian.
Speaker 1: But they don't talk about like, you know that that song whatever that one about I got throw up on my sweater whatever.
Speaker 2: That song is, mom spaghetti.
Speaker 1: There's like the unofficial like fucking white that's like the white venture capitalist national anthem.
Speaker 2: It's all about a pitch to get VC funding everything.
Speaker 1: They fucking like Peter Thial like right before J. D Vance got nominated, was like, listen to that in this fucking car. It's like it's it's like it's very significant. And so yeah, I think why I think certain like white chen exters are definitely like really like Eminem. Yeah, like he's fucking man. But I don't, I don't not. I'm not part of that. I like, Yeah, the last time I really checked in with Eminem is when he was in the Parking Garage.
Speaker 2: About Trump and he's orange.
Speaker 3: Yeahyle off the door hinge and he's orange orange, flapping around like a bapkin. Oh my god, three little bears trying to find the perfect porge and orange.
Speaker 2: Is that where that rhyme came from? Well, porridge out? He got real stuck on. There's a thing early, I can't rhyme anything with orange and so, like we talked about, you can do porge door hinge.
Speaker 1: Well, listen to you, guys. All I've had is one banana so far to eat today. Do you think that's enough? Because I just woke up like recently, think that's enough for the show? And I'm just gonna get a couple of cold.
Speaker 3: Brew and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: I think that's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna have a brain wife for one banana. Am I should have another banana? Maybe not on mic no, no, but that I did, I won't. I'm gonna eat bananas for the whole show and during the I've done worse. I've done worse. I mean, being twenty feet away from my laptop microphone was way worse than that from inside a well yeah, standing outside of my microphone constantly talking into nothing.
Speaker 2: That is something that we're actually pitching around is getting a baby. Jessica now grown up recording from inside a Well.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea.
Speaker 4: You've since been one up to, though, Chris, in terms of like the audacity that people have. I still think that guy who called in from like a work orientation outside of like a lecture hall was by far the worst thing we ever experienced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was like a work yeah, work intake orientation. He was just trying to make it work, and I was like, bro, you should have just canceled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well you're never gonna catch me having a multitask at a conference as far as I know. Unless I don't see that in my future.
Speaker 5: Ted Talk coming up for you, I don't Maybe you know, maybe you know, hey, bread talks with Chris.
Speaker 1: Chris, Yeah, I got a lot of nonprofit ideas up my sleeve.
Speaker 2: I debuted it on bread X, but I think for the bread Bread Talk circuit.
Speaker 1: Yeah I could do that, you know, actually do I already do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just need a stage, I think, Chris. We just recontextualized you talking. But we put a big red sign that says bread like the Ted Talk logo, and just back and forth.
Speaker 1: Oh that's another thing I'll do. Okay, I'll do that too.
Speaker 2: You're overwhelming Chris with this, Chris, I've only had one. We're just gonna go to the next slide on the deck, Chris, I knew hairstyle for you, picturing somebody like getting pumped up to pitch to Peter Thiel listening to.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, you totally hear someone sniffing cocaine in their fucking Honda before too, just blasting that ship like, hey babe, oh man, Oh, it's kind of crazy. I'm just thinking about your babe so much.
Speaker 2: About how much fun we had. It's kind of crazy, right, He's gonna.
Speaker 3: Love this idea. It's like it's tender for young people to sell their blood to tech billionaires.
Speaker 2: I love you, babe, wish me luck. I'm not gonna let this one slip.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's a good bit. That'd be a fun bit to do forever. Actually, you know what I mean, you know, like going on and on with that like a million ideas and just playing that is the show every day? Yeah, I mean that is fucking fun, all right, babe. Not ide that's such a good idea, Just new app ideas with that music.
Speaker 3: Find the idea.
Speaker 2: My nose bleeding. I need to I need to invent an app that chops your cocaine up more. Finally, I'm on the way to a meeting.
Speaker 1: I got way to a meeting with falling out my nostrils. They're on my payroll that can't say no to me. But I'm still hyping myself up, like I'm doing some big pitch, you know what I mean, Like Peters, he'll be like, I gotta nail this, and like everybody in the boardroom is like, whatever he says, we have to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we're all scared scared of ship, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They're gonna love this.
Speaker 2: Oh I knew it. I fucking knew it. Knock. I don't even pitch yet. Stop clapping, you know what.
Speaker 1: You're sick fan, Get the yeah I didn't even sweater yet. Yeah, yeah, fucking Eminem would be so proud of me.
Speaker 2: And and that has to take so many calls from ten billionaires.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Marshall, I got an idea for you.
Speaker 5: Maybe it is, Oh my bad, let me turn that down. Turn that off, caller, Turn your radio down, caller, You need to turn your radio down.
Speaker 1: Servants, Hey, have you ever summoned K two. Yeah, why do they always want to do.
Speaker 6: That K two high on cocaine. I'm gonna do Everest without fucking oxygen. Man, you fucking down have a sirpa. Fuckers walk us up the whole mountain.
Speaker 2: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, forty eight, Episode five of Dally's Like Guys Stay introduction of iHeart Radio. This is up Gust where we take it diving to America's share consciousness. And it is Friday, July twenty sixth, Friday.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's fucking National Bagels Fest Day, National Coffee Milkshake Day, All or Nothing Day, National Get Gnarly Day. Yeah, shout out to fucking nephews and nieces in them, the fucking children of the siblings. Because it's National Aunt and Uncle's Day. It's your day to be that person. That's also National Disability Independence Day, National System Administrator Appreciation Day. Oh boy, I've been they've been having a fucked up week ago time. Yeah. Man, good for y'all. It couldn't have come sooner, but hey it's here, National System Admin Day. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're they're usually invisible. This week less invisible. We want them to go back to being invisible. And I'm sure they concur. My name is Jack O'Brien AKA. Some people call me the Vance couch boy. Yeah. Some call me the Bangster of glove. That is courtesy of keV whatever on the discord, it won't die. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. We fucking debunked that ship yesterday and uh, I don't know. It's not our fault, buzz, not on our hands. I'm thrilled to be joined. It's only picked up steam after everybody debunked it. People are like, Nah, this guy has the couch fuckingst energy of all time. We're just gonna run with it.
Speaker 3: You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to be joined. I'm throwing to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray. Oh, thank you so much, Miles Gray. A kababy, I'm on it, uh babe, baby, and much longer. He's getting stronger and stronger when I get that killing. I'm a sectional healing healing all right.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Zach Van.
Speaker 2: For that one.
Speaker 3: We need some sectional healing, baby, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm oiling up my glove.
Speaker 3: Baby, I can't hold it much longer Zach, beautiful contribution. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: It's was the last time we saw a story where everyone was like, oh, that's a fake story and then it like picked up steam. I can't really remember another.
Speaker 3: The election was actually won by Donald Trump, so.
Speaker 2: I guess on that side. And yeah, that's just what we're seeing now, is that we're just all openly being like, yeah, the Internet is a writer's room where we're just like workshopping.
Speaker 3: I feel like Elon Musk is the kind of guy who also has that energy where it's like, even if something isn't true, everyone will just keep calling him whatever the dumb joke of the day thing is. Yeah, but yeah, I don't know this one, Like this one is so consequential in a weird way that it's just looking hilarious.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm loving every love and every second. Hey, speaking of love and every second, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of our favorite guests, hilarious stand up comedian, actor, musician. You can listen to his podcast Colebrew Got Me like Anywhere Fine podcasts are given away for free. His book, The Advice King Anthology is available. The Poetry Window is open because it's Chris motherfucking Kraft.
Speaker 1: Chris oil Boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say, right when I came in here, I forgot almost I got my A K A all and all just uh you know the brick and the Chris Croft and.
Speaker 2: There it is, there it is. Yeah, I mean it was just sitting right there.
Speaker 1: And I wrote that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was an original.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, how about another one?
Speaker 1: I see you on the dark side of the Chris Croft.
Speaker 3: And of the brew.
Speaker 2: I just keep yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're trying to You're trying to punch it up. Yeah, yeah, but it's no use.
Speaker 2: It's no use, man, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: I just got you know, I'm just doing so many it's no use energy I'm doing so, I'm doing so many things that don't pay that I just am exhausted and and yeah I can't. I don't have time to do the A K A s right that I should, you know, Like I mean, I don't know how to write the good ones, you know what I mean, Like I'm trying to think of it. I can think of another one, you know, they're they're fun to do, you know, I wish I had. I can't think of another one. Chris Crofton just likes to have fun.
Speaker 2: You're standing here.
Speaker 1: Crop have fun. That's girls just want to have fun with Chris Crofton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris, Chris Crofton want to have fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I'm too tired to do the proper work on the A.
Speaker 3: K As Craft.
Speaker 2: He was a blast. Grab that cash. We're both and.
Speaker 3: Make We're just gonna keep doing pink Flight.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And then I could learn how to play when I was teaching myself on to play.
Speaker 1: B Yeah, cold bro, just change all the words to cold any other words at all?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: And then ring a bell. I'm a when you run out of content? What cole brew over the tune of money? What have I've been up to? He I have been fucking losing my ship, basically getting super depressed from reading the news, like trying to recalibrate my whole like life a little bit like I've basically been in a midlife crisis where you sort of figure out that making music and writing poetry on Twitter doesn't pay, and and you one of those two things I knew, but you know you can giggy guess which one I knew, but one of them I thought by my you know maybe you know, you watch enough behind the music as a kid, and you know you start to think, maybe maybe I could also have a private jet and vomit all the time and have handlers, which I think I've talked about on the show. How that was like really attractive to me, Like if you can't, if you don't have a proper if you like, if your family fails you, you can have handlers. You know, getting a big enough drug and alcohol problem and you're signed to like a major, then they issue you like a family of like bodyguards and then alive and then yeah, and like just makes you like stop, like instead of going to like rehab or anything or like getting your ship together, you just are constantly being blocked from doing drugs physically by like a karate guy. I always thought that was so awesome, Like this guy's like kicking out of your way, like and you're just grabbing for it. No, no, you know what my way, fucking Steve, get out of my way. And then they end up like then they end up Like this is the best part because I figured this would be me, Like I would get a handler issued to me by Epic Records or whatever, and they're like, listen, this guy will not stop doing drugs anything anybody hands them. This Crafton guy, he's like out of control. He had that hit, you know where he did the sang cole Brew instead of money to the sound of that to the Pink Floyd song. I don't know how it became a hit. It's like a gangam style type thing. Anyway, he's a huge he's a huge star now, and everybody's just trying to hand them drugs because that's what happens as soon as you get famous. Everybody just wants to give you drugs. So he won't stop doing them, so you have to just kick him out of the way, and you have to. But then I'm so fucking charming that the karate guy, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah he story and I wanted to be that guy there. I wanted to be that guy.
Speaker 1: I went to like kind of like like in The Apocalypse now where the guy goes and like I don't know or something where you're supposed to like go murder somebody and then you end up just like being their friend instead and being like, actually, I see things your way.
Speaker 2: I was going to be that guy, yeah, but instead Yeah, are you a Kennedy fan? Are you into the Kennedy's at all?
Speaker 1: The family?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the family. Yeah, I'm doing I'm doing a Kennedy show. And there's a crazy story where like the JFK's like college best friend, high school best friend, like all along was like with JFK, like one of his like right hand hand man, like was put in charge of like keeping RFK junior and his brother is like clean, and they actually got him hooked on Heroin was like a fifty something. Yeah, he didn't know I think the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's charisma I thought I had. Yeah, I was like, that's what I wanted to see how that works. I wanted to see if you know, if they could they just keep throwing them at me too, you know what I mean, And because you're they'll be like, oh, well that guy's done, that guy's done now, oh ship the god that Green Beret guys started doing Heroin too.
Speaker 2: Away. We hired Ermie. Yeah, Ermie, yeah, like, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 1: Michael Flynn will be my guy.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Michael Flynn.
Speaker 2: Yeah hooked up. Yeah, yeah, Michael Flint. You could spend it twenty four hours is Michael Flynn and just like get him hooked on what he's.
Speaker 1: Already hooked on, saying you want to hell, yeah, he's rabid.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like what happens is you I've been calling it a midlife crisis, which and somebody, some friend of mine pointed out, like what are you gonna do? You're gonna live to be a hund and ten, you know, it's like okay, hey, yeah, okay, fine, just a crisis then. So yeah, I'm just like trying to like I'm trying to get a job at a rehab place to be a like a greeter or like a someone who acclimates new patients to a place. Like I'm trying to get a job that is not just sitting around like fucking yeah, waiting to get famous, and because it's so boring, Like that's the thing is, even if you do, even if you did get famous, no wonder, everybody's out of their minds and like you know, trying to like seduce their judo masters into doing cocaine with them or whatever because they're bored out of their fucking mind because they only have to play like one hour a day and the rest of the day they just lose their shit, and like try and think of diabolical ways to spend the time. And anyway, I'm like just realizing that you don't have to do one or the other. Like I can have a job, like a normal job and not be.
Speaker 2: Like you know where you actually help people, yeah, or.
Speaker 1: Something where you heard of something. Yeah, I mean I'm not there yet. I'm just trying. I'm trying. I'm making steps, you know. And I got this new therapist who's so funny. Oh my god. Really yeah, he's run addiction counselor but he's not a licensed therapist, but he's running a therapy. He just has an addiction counselor thing. And I'm not even I didn't even go to him for that, Like I just got wreck. He got recommended to me and I found out he's an addiction counselor, and he just is like, you know, addiction counselors have to be like, well you better cut that out, you know. So he says that about everything, like about family stuff, like I'm like, my dad's a nightmares. Like sounds like you've got to put him down, you know, And I'm.
Speaker 2: Like what I like?
Speaker 1: So it's kind of fun. And he's a dude and I prefer female therapist because I was raised by my mother primarily, and she's nice. You know, she's a good she's a good nice one. She's a good one. Yeah, she's a good cop. So I would like to go to a woman therapist because I feel more comfortable. And and so I'm like into this guy, and and and and I'm like into like the idea that we're not getting along that well either because he like in the beginning, but then the last couple of meetings we started to get along because I kind of like him. He's just got to go tee. That's all he has, just to go tee. No mustache, just a ball, just a freaking go to. Yeah, just kind of like unbelievable. Like I'm like, I feel totally dominated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I mean. It's a strong look.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Okay, who I know who's in charge in this room?
Speaker 2: I guess I got to put my dad down, he said, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know this is I know who's the alpha in this room.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he's like, I said, what kind of music do you like? Because I see tattoos poking out from under his sleeves. Yeah, I saw one. I knew because I knew something was up, Like I knew me and him were going to connect some Marshall you like, he's like, man, have you heard the new eminem He goes man, he goes man, I like grunge what and uh, there was just something amazing about that. I like, I like that too. I like, now I trust you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then we're we're seriously and we're talking. Next thing when we're talking about what I was, you know what we're talking about Scott Wiland. And then I was like, wait a minute, I'm paying for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's about Scott Wild.
Speaker 1: Scott Warland was a talented guy, no question about it.
Speaker 2: Chris.
Speaker 3: You might listen to my demo. Man two of us to.
Speaker 1: Start doing four track recordings while I'm paying for it anyway. So that's what's going on with me. I'm trying to I'm trying to like realize, like I'm going to talk about it in other parts of it so it doesn't matter because one of one of the things I said, one of the things I've set up for Overrated Underrated is about about this sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Perfect. All right, well, Chris, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, a couple of the things that we're talking about on today's episode, maybe maybe not. We'll talk so jd Vance. We're just going to continue to talk about jd Vance. Where what what's going on? They did debunk the story on Wednesday. Yes, the story took off after being officially debunked by every like major media outlet. It just like took off. Everyone was like, nah, we we think there's there's the spirit of truth to this one. So talk about that. We'll talk about the conspiracy theory that Biden is dead which continues to not go away, and how Hollywood has worked our image of the presidency. Maybe even a new theory that a fan has for why Donald Trump keeps bringing up Hannibal Lecter. All of that plenty more. But first, Chris Crofton, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's the Minnesota Public TV YouTube.
Speaker 3: Oh a nice, another new YouTube pulp.
Speaker 1: And man, it is Minnesota Public Television. I mean they're just doing the thing that WGBAH and Boston does it too, where they're kind of like just re airing all these old features they did in the seventies and eighties, like on their YouTube, okay, and like just some times they'll just take parts of reports, even news reports they did, like there's a there's a report on there from nightlife where guys just goes to like all these like bars in nineteen eighties Minneapolis and it's just so fun, you know, and he's just like in them and he's like, Oh, he's like, here's the nightlife on whatever avenue it is. He's like, this is the avenue everybody goes out. So I'm just gonna walk around in my member's only jacket and like with a microphone and like talk about bars and like go to TGI Fridays and stuff, and it's just great. Anyway. They do do a lot of stuff like that, but there's one particular thing.
Speaker 2: Like not even local bars, like just like hey, we're at the TV Fridays.
Speaker 1: Well just yeah whatever, He's just like, here's what's going on on at Bennegan's. Like no one like no one was like posting videos from those bars back then. You actually had to go in and like find out what.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Because I remember you because this is the same This feels like in the same vibe when you were watching all that like mob news footage, because it's so like it's just like texture too, you know what I mean, Like that we don't have because everything is fucking recorded now. It's like, wait, dude, I need to see video of nineteen eighties bars in Minnesota and yeah, and now you get like a really nice speak into that.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it because it's a very different world that I did live through a little bit of it. And I'm not saying it was better. It was pretty boring, I mean, you know what I mean. And there was a lot more crimes. Everybody had to go out of the house and just cause trouble to pass the time. Yeah, so like there was no you know, you had to go out out of the house and just dress up and be like, well let's see what happens, you know. And that's like not really better, but it is more adventure. There's more adventure involved, right, I mean, it's definitely safer now because you can stay home and just door Dash and Tinder or whatever. I mean, you can just order boyfriends and and sushi and whatever else, which is fine.
Speaker 2: Three boyfriends and one sushi, please.
Speaker 1: How about eight boyfriends? And no sushi and you know, the dangerous it's a dangerous internet, so that you know, that's that's what's interesting to me is like this was like sort of a wild West of payphones, and I mean that still blows my mind that like if you couldn't get to a payphone, you were basically.
Speaker 3: Kids someone could die.
Speaker 1: I mean that was you know, you were just like I died forty yards away from a payphone I couldn't get.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking of how like I was talking to somebody about how I remember when I had to used to have a calling card number memorized so I could make a like if I didn't have change, I could die, right that from a payphone. Oh yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I died of a treatable disease because I didn't have a dime slumped over in the phone booth or it was out of order. Like you get in there and you're like finally phone, you know, and there's no receiver. It's like ripped off and you're just like okay, it's over. So anyway, this is what this is about. It's this movie called Shinders to Shinders. A surreal portrait of Hennepin Avenue. Now Hennepin Avenue was like the red light district of Minneapolis. I've got this right, Like Mini Apple was Minnesota, right, that's right?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Because always want to call it Minneapolis, Wisconsin. I don't know why, but but it just sounds better to me. I cannot get it through my fucking head, but.
Speaker 2: Because it's like like the part of Minnesota's in the world anyways.
Speaker 1: I also don't know where Minneapolis is. Like when I've been in Minneapolis, I'm like, we're up north, Like I'm like totally insane, Like I don't look at the map.
Speaker 3: I thought we were near Arizona.
Speaker 1: I don't look at the map. Ever, I'm like, I thought we were somewhere near Oklahoma. Like that's seriously what happens when I'm right, They're like, dude, we're almost in Canada.
Speaker 2: Minneapolis is supposed to be a great city. I think I say this a lot on the show, but like the we were there for I want to move there.
Speaker 3: We were there for like a yeah, yeah, I mean I remember Hannah and I went to the Hennepin County Courthouse because.
Speaker 2: Way uh cool, did you hear it? Doing just sleeping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that because I think at the time, you're like, bro, I do not get this.
Speaker 1: Jack finds out. Jack finds out he has no friends right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know, dude.
Speaker 3: I think we were at Tago John don't want to go or something.
Speaker 1: We went acts throwing too. It's pretty fun day, pretty nice little Saturday.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and all sorts of yeah.
Speaker 1: No, no, same with Madison. The only problem is it's like frozen, like nine months out of the year. That's why it's like full. Like no one wants to go there, even venture you know, venture capitalists will leave it alone, like private equities like it's too cold for us to like.
Speaker 3: Ruin our money doesn't work there for some reason.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I'm not kidding. You want to stay where it's eventually, where it's uninhabitable is the only place that private equity won't go, Like Nashville has been totally made over just because these guys ostensibly like live music and quotes, which is not even true. They just like to be standing near it while they do.
Speaker 3: They want to that's why they're there.
Speaker 1: They think they like Nashville. They don't even know what they like. They just like fucking the you know, like taking pictures and your stuff and like like Kim Jong Unn, like they just stand next to like a band and.
Speaker 2: Go me like music.
Speaker 1: I also like music, and I like taking over the world. But also I'm into the arts.
Speaker 3: Capitalist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's what Nashville suffering from. And they won't go to the north, so that's where we gotta go. We all got to go to Minneapolis. Hell yeah, and seriously for too much longer. I went to Eau Claire on that tour with Neil Hamburger. Yeah, that was one of the stops. Man, oh man, that place is like stuck in the nineteen sixties. It's got coin operated freaking barking meters, And I was like, this is what I'm talking about. What I'm talking I'm not kidding. I'm so sick of barcodes. I mean, if you have to I just spit all my microphone. If you have to use a bar code to park, if you have to scan anything to park or put in your email to park, that's when you move. That's when you move out of town. If you've not gone crazy, do you keep I would be fucked well you eventually, I've always got a fat bocket chancer down seventy bus change that happened.
Speaker 2: I have just jangling around. You got a growth there.
Speaker 1: It's a bunch of quarters, just left over from the eighties. I always keep a fat pocket to change on me. So anyway, this this movie is uh, it's called whatever I said, it was called uh and uh it's called a hint. What's called no shinders to shinders. A surreal portrait of Hennepin Avenue. So Hennepen Avenue is like this little red light district, like a block long where all the cool ship was like adult bookstores and and like red light things and also just like bars and also just a lot of people standing out on the street looking for trouble, you know, like and and sex workers and but but like it was everybody said basically like this is where it was a cool place to go because you never knew what was going to happen, Like you know, there are bad parts to it, I'm sure, and that's what I'm saying. This is all you know, this is all relative like but but it was an action pack block. And so they made a musical. These two dudes and a poet made a short film where they had their friends like who were dancers. They choreographed dancers in the peep shows, in the in the pinball arcade, dancing around and they had a voiceover from a black poet who's just reading about, like about writing a poem about Hennepin Avenue, and he said, his voiceover is happening while these people are doing dances in the actual locales. Oh yeah, it's the end. WHOA this is.
Speaker 2: On fucking incredible.
Speaker 1: Uh eighty three maybe eight. So there's two features. There's a feature. They made a documentary about the making of this movie, and that's what I watched first, and then I watched the movie and they're both badass, and the whole thing is like, okay, the punchline or not the punchline, but the most amazing thing of all, which maybe me want to bring it on here, was these guys made this short film. You know, this is the kind of thing where no phones involved. They had to make this happen. They were like, I want to see people dance, not on TikTok. I want to choreograph a freaking thing with my friends on TikTok because it's nineteen eighty two. Yeah, we're not doing this on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Let me just say up front, not on TikTok. I'm sorry, Randy, what's TikTok?
Speaker 3: What's you shut up?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, it was before it was it.
Speaker 1: Was before M and M made that song, so nobody knew how to do anything right.
Speaker 2: So when the eminem of his time, Prince was just coming up.
Speaker 1: In fantastic documentary on this same channel, absolutely fantastic documentary also made by that local public television which is obviously well funded, but their stuff is not seen nationally. It's a documentary about First Avenue, the whole history of First Avenue.
Speaker 2: Of the club, the one from Purple Rain.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's unbelievable. And there's even a part where they talk about when Purple Rain came out, people were calling up First Avenue because they thought it was where Prince lived and leaving just for him. And they played one of them and it was like all these women calling up being like hey Prince, like they were calling First Avenue of the music club. There was like being like you give me call him back when you get a chance, and Prince Jack for real.
Speaker 3: So where do they sell like raspberry berets?
Speaker 2: For real?
Speaker 1: So people saw that movie. It still blows my mind. It's like the people call phone numbers and movies, you know, and try and talk to the characters.
Speaker 7: Five five, So this is the number, mom.
Speaker 1: Someone saw rain or a bunch of people saw that and decided that's where Prince lived, was in that club. So anyway, that that's a great documentary.
Speaker 2: Did Yeah, I guess he was shown up, but.
Speaker 1: They talk about they interview, They interview like Soul Asylum and the bands that were doing like you know, the replacements and things. But they didn't interview their replacements in that. But but anyway, Soul Asylum guy was like he didn't like when Prince came around because he was like he's acting like he owned the place. He's like, what's in the retrospect he did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was too cool. Who is this guy as a rock star? About this other rock star? Way too cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically he's like he's ruining what he really was. Like he would come through when I was playing my gig and I would just feel like an idiot and and uh, you know appropriately so But anyway, it's a great documentary, really great nice about First Avenue and anybody who's into music would love it. It's very deep and has it's just anyway.
Speaker 2: Same people from the filmmakers behind Shinders to Shinders, a different filmmaker.
Speaker 1: I think there's also a great one about about Minneapolis's skid row where this guy who was a bartender on skid row in Minneapolis. Every city had him back then, where they had the single room occupancy hotels where people lived in the chicken wire above the It was like, you guys, you know what I'm talking about those hotels that were like ten bucks a night, you know. And then there were all these bars around him and they were the classic skid row from the sixties, fifties, forties. Yeah, anyway, a documentary by the guy who was a bar, a bar owner down there who's shot all his customers and all the stuff that happened on the street. And that's that's and and then narrated it.
Speaker 3: Well, there's also another cool and I'm looking at here like about like anti racist skinheads in Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: So cool, it's so cool.
Speaker 1: I did seriously recommend this is not a joke. I'm recommending this, and this then this Shinders the Shinders thing, and I'll tell I'm take it too long. This is a we got to get to this JD. Van's character, we do, we do, fucking asshole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't talked about him up to this point on every single.
Speaker 1: Episode piece of fucking Ship. But oh yeah, So these guys made this movie and they show it Get a load of this. They show it like gorilla style on a cigarette billboard, unannounced at night and cause a traffic jam. They put up huge speakers on the street and everyone stopped their cars to watch this short film.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: You imagine showing a short film anywhere people telling you to just get out of their way, you know what I mean, Like, hey, look, I'm showing a short film.
Speaker 3: Fuck off way now, it's like, get out of my way. I'm shooting a TikTok of myself short film.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you make it a long film? Get the fuck out of my way? So anyway, just like I can't even imagine. But here's the best part. The King of Sweden was in town for some reason, and like they interviewed him after he was in He was King of Sweden, was there for some Frederick event. He happened to see the goddamn projection of the fucking he was in the traffic jam, so he goes this after his like official state visit. They said, what was your favorite part? And he's like when they showed that movie on that cigarette billboard? Yeah, wow, what was your favorite part about America? He's like, anyway, it's just a beautiful, beautiful thing and it's really weird man, and it's inspiring. His ship in Minneapolis is cool. It's cool, it's super multicultural and fucking just it just feels like a eddy still, it doesn't feel like a hashtag.
Speaker 2: Or yeah the whole steady. That album Separation Sunday about Minneapolis as well. Yeah, that's the hell of an album. I highly recommend that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just feel like people need to like get away from all this QR code stuff and just try to find somewhere where it has to be. I did we just arrived at it. I did not realize it. But it has to be somewhere freezing. Yes, it has to be really cool because fucking private private are.
Speaker 2: Money scanners don't work there.
Speaker 1: They want to go comfortable places, they don't want to do their evil and in the freezing cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny that one guy, Sam Bank Ben Freed, he was like all about you know, preparing for the climate apocalypse that's coming. And but then he like bought an island that was going to be like completely impossible to live on in five years. Yeah, he just can't can't deal with being cold.
Speaker 1: He fucking deserves it. Yeah, I hope he gets that, gets out of his private island and gets attacked by snakes immediately, just overcome by Yeah, has his eyes packed out by sea birds.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we'll do it. Overrated, underrated, We'll be right back and we're back, And Chris Crofton, we do like to ask our guests, and especially you, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 1: Underrated is oh low rent? That's crazy? Underrated is low rent? I was just gonna say that because I'm realizing that high rent is a trick. Well it's a trick. Also, Yeah, it's terrible, Like that's why it's sort of funny it's underrated, Like you know, like, what do you mean silly? But I was just trying to think of, like why does like like the real taco place get replaced by a taco place that's part of a corporate chain. How does that happen? Like there's a functioning taco place that people like, and then it is removed because the rent gets too high, and then it is replaced by a chain taco place. So it's not even like subtle. It's like, oh, we're just replacing this taco place with a taco place that's like publicly traded so we can so we can like leverage it. There's no fun to have a taco place that's a standalone family business because you can't leverage it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like market, what happens is the corporate landlords hike their rent. First, they hype a town. First, they hype a town artificially, which is what happened in Nashville. They put played they hire publicists, and they plant pieces in New York Times and wherever else, like all over the place and just say Nashville is the most fun place ever and it's super inclusive and all this shit that's not and and then you and then they hype it and then and then people started coming here before there was any stuff. And I know this for a fact because I would I was working in places where they would come in and say, like, where is the stuff? And it was like, no, you're here too early. You read the hype pieces, but the stuff's not here yet.
Speaker 2: This is a this is this is a where's the grocery store?
Speaker 1: It's like reverse engineering or forward engineer. I don't know how to describe it. But they said the things were there. Before they were there, people started coming and then and then they got filled in. Like, but they attracted all kinds of capital by doing this, and that capital raises the rent. And all the other landlords who were mom and pop landlords say, oh, we got to raise the rent then, But if when they do that, they don't understand that they're sowing the seeds of their own destruction, these mom and pop landlords too, because it's really a replacement. What high rent does is it enables corporations to put every single local business out of business and replace them with the exact same businesses except they have them. And I just it never occurred to me because I just didn't understand that. I was like, why is this totally fine, successful business being put out of business for the same business, except just an inferior one.
Speaker 2: A worse one that has VC funding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those taco plays a man are a good example, Like we have all these taco places, like that's like the main dystopian business. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with so many areas gentrifying like that, like in downtown, like in little Tokyo, there's so many of these Japanese restaurants that are just going like. They're not going out of business because no one's patronizing them. They're going out of business because the landlords are like this dude said he could open up a weed dispensary and give me seven times the rent you do, So we're going to do that.
Speaker 1: So it comes down to landlords doing an active resistance basically, I mean, and it's not going to happen, but it could be something to at least talk about.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool, they're usually pretty cool.
Speaker 1: They're always making Yeah, they're pretty open to conversations about how they should make less money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, but that is the thing until like regular landlords say, we're not going along with this. Just because the market raid all of a sudden is four times what it used to be. That doesn't mean that I can't just charge the old rent and be okay, because it's not like property taxes went up four times. This is just an art of This is a bubble created for them to replace an entire town. That's mine. I just hadn't quite figured it.
Speaker 3: Was the name of the taco place that closed up.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know one that I don't I don't know one particular one. It's all made up. This is all made up.
Speaker 3: No, but I don't even know of any of the concepts. I just said out loud.
Speaker 1: Hold everything, national's going fine.
Speaker 3: Some cool people are in town with their flags.
Speaker 1: Chris talks about it for clicks, But that shit. I could tell you the names of the taco places that have popped up. Well, I can tell you about one business which nobody liked here, called Calypso Cafe, but I loved it. And it was just like where I stayed with. I doubt maybe black bean salads whatever. It was just like this, and everyone who worked there was like, you know, that shit's all trash, and I was like, I don't care. I don't care. It's like maybe I'm trash. It's not Wendy's, you know what I mean. It was like lettuce and black beans and they're like we sift those through an old shoe or whatever back behind the counter. I was like, I don't care, I don't care. Just don't tell me, so like I would eat these healthy things. So Clypso Cafe goes out of business because and it wasn't doing badly, and it was replaced by this place called the Velvet Taco.
Speaker 3: Yeah there's a Velvet Taco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Velvet Taco. First of all, that's the name. That's slang for that's that's sex slang.
Speaker 2: There was pink Taco, right, Pink Tacos. There was like a global taco chain that was there, just like a sex joke.
Speaker 3: There's still pink Taco, Like there's one on Sunset. I feel like still there was one and I remember in Century City and they were like what the fuck is this? And then they went away very quickly.
Speaker 1: And it's not even like a taco place. It's like they have all this like you know, it's like it's like a taco.
Speaker 3: It's like coyote ugly, but they have tacos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they put like tacos like they're like I mentioned this in my new advice column that comes out next week, but it's like a it's about you know, they put like strudle in the taco, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: They put like you know, my stupid joke was they put zolof Zoloft tacos, you know, like they don't, They just don't. We're just erupting taco.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: You're like, oh, what if we put Captain Crunch in a taco and called it a breakfast taco?
Speaker 1: You know, And that's what's going on. And it's like, not only is it fucking just fucking just gross and dystopian. It makes everybody sad because no one wants a Captain Crunch taco, and it makes everybody fucking sad, But it also makes me sad to see a fifty foot high sign that says fucking velvet taco. Or I used to be able to get a normal meal that kept me alive and now it's turned into a novelty. He jumped place where you have to order everything off of damn barcode and then they interview the freaking CEO and he's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, how did I do it? Well?
Speaker 7: I paid the labor as the least I could, and uh, I guess that's the end of that. Basically that I made them all wear big plastic gloves and I made them real sad and made everybody order off the app.
Speaker 2: Oh now I have all your information, I can sell it.
Speaker 1: And I named it velvet taco because that's funny because it means sex stuff. Anyway, it's just sad. My mom was like, I don't know if this is the stuff we talked about at the top of the show is going to be on the show, But like my mom, My mom was sad, you know about that. She's like, doesn't that mean like velvet taco because she's like she watches like HBO. She knows what that.
Speaker 3: Means, right, She's like, what do you fucking think it means?
Speaker 1: Mom?
Speaker 3: Mom?
Speaker 1: Every time you voted a Republican in your life, you've ushered in these places called the velvet taco. You pretty much hold the velvet tato.
Speaker 3: So what's overrated? Velvet taco.
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 1: Just overrated, as is mom and pop landlords getting on the bandwagon and being like, oh, we can also charge thirty five hundred dollars a month for you know, they don't understand that they're playing themselves.
Speaker 2: Sure you played yourself and yeahs what's that song called lose Yourself? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna play lose Yourself. I'm gonna invite all the landlords down to the ramod.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get set myself.
Speaker 1: Up at the front of the room, tell them it's about how to make more money with venture capital or whatever. And they're all going to show up and I'm just gonna put on that song and I will start saying the truth.
Speaker 2: Tell me you got a deck with some pretty compelling slides. Yeah, I'm gonna make them knock it over.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make them much shiners, shiners and all.
Speaker 2: We could have what we lost because you motherfuckers. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. All right, We're not gonna keep talking about We talked about the JD Vance thing yesterday. We're back by the way, we talked about the JD on yesterday's trending. If you want to hear more speculation about.
Speaker 3: The the couch, restrain ourselves. Yeah, yeah, we have to.
Speaker 2: We have to cut ourselves off.
Speaker 3: You know, they're saying no glove, no love, as JD Van says.
Speaker 1: If that true that JD. Vans had sex with a couch, that would be one of the most likable things about him.
Speaker 2: That's what I've been saying. If he did that and then wrote it in his memoir, in his like coming of age memoir. I would be like, oh, maybe like he actually told the truth in this memoir. Maybe there's like a core of like something interesting.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, but exactly that's relatable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really we all did.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're all acting like we've never fucked a couch.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm definitely not acting like that.
Speaker 3: Fance was a deck chair, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm serious, though, that don't make it more and more human. I mean, the guys have a dark money, you know, Trojan Horse, absolute fucking Nazi. I mean, there's no way around it.
Speaker 2: You can put them in the outfit Chris he said, I love you.
Speaker 1: Oh that thing where he did on the joke where he made that joke about diet. Yeah, like he doesn't even know what he's talking about. Yeah, that's what I mean. He's out of his fucking mind. He doesn't even have to talk to the world or anything. He's so used to talk to Peter Teal or whoever, like dark money people who he just goes yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. And then he goes out in public and he's like, it's good I drank mountain dew and everybody thinks I'm racist?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Maybe other racist?
Speaker 2: Shouldn't that you say? Nah, it's fry the mountain dew.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Get me back, take me off.
Speaker 3: The stood out of you guys anyway.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I hope he sucked a couch.
Speaker 2: Yeah me too.
Speaker 1: That's our only hope. Yeah, you're you're our only hope somewhere in there. Yeah, there's still a couch fucker, a passionate man.
Speaker 2: All right. So I want to talk about how Kamala Harris's nomination her run is being covered in the mainstream media, specifically a series of headlines that are kind of disparaging the idea of a black woman running for president, But since they put a question mark at the end of the headline, it's okays be The logic in Newsweek, is America ready for a black woman president? Question mark the conversation, Race, Gender and politics? Is the United States ready for a black woman president? Question mark USA Today? And they didn't manage to put it into a colorful pie chart, but they said, is the US ready for a black woman president? Question mark? Why a leading congressman isn't sure?
Speaker 3: You know she's also half South Asian, right. But that's it's like, it's so funny to see Democrats also push that because like they're trying to really pitch her as this person too when she's biracial, which is very interesting to see also, but yeah, are they ready for this black woman? I mean, I see, I understand like questioning that, but that has to be more of an investigation into the white supremacy that like presides over the entirety of American thinking versus like this shit, which is like, I don't know, like a black lady. It's like when this is like what these headlines feel like, rather than maybe something a bit deeper.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I think I can't believe it because those headlines are really just saying, like I mean, they're really putting a question mark on it, but yeah, we're not ready for a black president. We don't. I mean that's like you, I mean, those headlines are just like you don't really want a black president, do you? That's all it is. And and and it's insanity that we talk about race as much as we do in this country. I mean, it's just so sad. It's so sad that that is like even and why does that enter into everything. I mean, I know, I but you know what I mean, it's like who gives a shit? You know, we you know what for people, you know, especially when you're coming off, that's just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the idea of the president being an old white guy is very deeply rooted in how America thinks about the job, both on the right end on the left, and a big part of that. I don't know. I don't know if we can say the problem is caused by or if it's reflected by, but you know, Hollywood liberalism certainly is in lockstep with this trend. The Washington Post in twenty twenty publisher report finding that the vast majority of mainstream movies have portrayed the president as a straight, cis white male, which that's obviously been the case in real life as well. But literally anything can happen in a movie. But you know, one of these movies that made the president a straight white, CIS male had aliens being taken out by a floppy disc, you know, like literally a floppy disc that they uploaded on. Somehow the fucking alien ship had a slot for a floppy disc. But in examining one hundred and forty eight presidential depictions in movies since nineteen thirty two. They found that one hundred and twenty three out of one hundred and forty eight movie character presidents were white men, and they found precisely zero examples of women of color playing fig presidents. That's fucking bonkered. Like, of the twenty five characters who didn't fall into the like straight white guy category, sixteen more people of color. Thirteen were black two where hispanic, one was Asian. The remaining nine characters were white women, and there were yeah, no women of color playing fictional presidents.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's a I mean, it's a it's a reflect I don't I can't say this is caused by Hollywood. This is I mean, like, this is the momentum of American culture. Is too, is to box people out that aren't white CIS men in terms of like who can actually lead. Obviously other people are able to rise to those heights, But yeah, I think maybe what it does though, too, is it reinforces this sort of cultural racist momentum that we have by always being like, yeah, I mean like it's probably a white guy, right, Like that's what that's what the president has to be so we can feel okay about it. And if it's a black guy as a president, means the world is ending in a movie, or there's a disaster happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Deep Impact or Danny Glover intwoenty twelve or Jamie Fox and White House Down, like those are the types of movies where the president is allowed to be black or twenty four you know, where there's a different terrorist attack every like twenty five minutes. But just in general, both voting and in movies, the idea of a woman president seems to cause some problems for people. The first movie to introduce this idea was nineteen sixty five's Kisses for My President. Got what movie is that? Kiss My President? The poster has a woman president answering the phone at you know, the desk in the Oval office, and her husband standing next to her in a hat that has like flowers all over it. For some reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, he's like wearing like a like a like what a first lady would wear. Like it's the inverse, you know, yeah, on his head lady as a suit on.
Speaker 2: When a woman becomes president of the US, what happens to her poor husband when he becomes the first Lady.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorite movies. I don't know why you guys are laughing about.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, yeah, no, but where are you gonna get to the weird part to say, you're talking about kiss from my Presidence?
Speaker 1: Such a good movie.
Speaker 2: So it tries to mind laughter from the idea of a guy becoming the first lady and concludes with a happy ending in which the president resigns because she gets pregnant.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, wow, that's like fucking nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 1: That's like that fucking Ali G ship where he would say, aren't you worried, like if Hillary Clinton becomes president that she's gonna fall in love with? Sadama was saying, literally, oh my god, those did exactly those interviews he did as Ali G.
Speaker 3: Those early ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, those early ones where he interviews like Henry kissing Jership are so fucking good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that that that whole thing is like, there are there are the people control everything. Sadly are just a bunch of graduates from Harvard and Yale, mostly lawyers. They have these secret clubs and they're all white men, you know, and so it is it's it's reflecting just that. I mean, this for me was like a moment. Maybe a lot of people knew about it, but I mean it was on CNN, so a lot of people knew about it, But it was right after they were starting to call for Joe Biden to resign, which I was down with, Like I understood the idea certainly. After that debate, it made sense to me that was debate was like I had to turn it off.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like when he said he beat Medicare. I was like, okay, we're going you know what I mean, you know, and I.
Speaker 7: Loved Trump goes, yeah, you beat Medicare, You beat the hell out of it whatever that means, you know.
Speaker 1: But at that moment, I was like, okay, this is a problem. But I did not like, well, I don't think anyone like George Clooney wang in, you know, a white male, you know, and this was a panel on CNN about this decision, and and I just did not like the tone one of these insiders, like forget about carsal he's always a fucking dick, but.
Speaker 2: Also he's a guy.
Speaker 1: What is his fucking qualification? Why do they always put that white man who's just incredibly not thoughtful obviously, no, you know, and they constantly put them on because they're just like, here's our rolodex and people that we have to comment on this shit, and it's all white dudes who went to Yale and went to Harvard. It's the same club. And you know, like some white guy just says, hey, guess what, whole country, we're swapping out the president because me and Larry Summers and whoever the fuck else and and John Podesta or whatever decided he's.
Speaker 3: Got to Gothzenberg. Yeah, but it's it's also interesting to see like how the media has gone from like before they're like, don't you talk shit about Joe Biden, like because there are a lot of pundits too who like, we're like it's gonna be him. Maybe they're gonna have a virtual role call to like solidify the nomination and really telling people that were like, I don't like is this the best we can do? Like do we need to consider other things? And then suddenly like, oh my god, we love Kamala. This is the greatest thing that has ever happened. And you're like, what, yeah, last week it was this and now it's this, And I think that the the enthusiasm changes in your reporting on that. But it's interesting to see how quickly, like the punditry goes from you know, one one extreme to the other like and yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're on board with this and always were. It turns out yeah, right, and it.
Speaker 1: Turns out like I mean, well, if it was an honest discussion, which cable news is useless for any any you know, thing that's funded by advertising is completely you know, and often often these outlets are out outright owned by billionaires. They just will not talk about when one party has got jd Vance who's part of a secret society of Roman Catholics who thinks fucking liberals are demons that need to be basically killed. You know, that's what they're pitching on that far right religious stuff, that there's this the devil is real and it's liberals. So like, when you've got one side doing that, you know, it's still we'll vote for whatever. That's the discussion. You don't you know the fact that it's even like yeah, I don't care if it's Biden, I don't care. I'll vote for Biden because the other you know, I just I just felt like the discussion was like, yes, like either way, we're voting against authoritarianism, right, you know what I mean? Right, David Axelrod, this is not time for you to show off. Why are you showing off? Why are you on here with an attitude? This is not a time for attitude, you dope?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you need to have attitude with one person, Joe Biden. Maybe like talk to him with attitude.
Speaker 1: But maybe and Joe Biden, he was like he wasn't trying to hear that. He doesn't know, he doesn't know, he doesn't know even know what he was saying. You have to drop out of the race. What race?
Speaker 2: It? Really? It was? It was the debate and also the like five to ten subsequent interviews and appearances where it's just like, wow, well yeah it was really bad.
Speaker 1: I was just like he was too old to begin with. I knew it all all along.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anything, But people like David Axelrod, like they it's easier to get mad at Joe Biden than themselves. Who are the people who put like, you know, reinforced this reelection campaign for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tried to just like force it through.
Speaker 3: Because there was there was no real primary. You know what I mean, like they really they were like, broll, don't even fucking try and step to the fucking incumbent. And I get that that's not a great look usually, but when that, given the age and what he said about it being a bridge to like a new generation, you'd kind of be like, the voters were clearly down for someone even before he announced that he was going for reelection. So like, when I see those people be like, you know, Joe really needs to suiside, it's like, dude, you were the people telling before, telling people not to worry. Shut the fuck up, Joe Biden is fine, and now you're switching it up to be like he's got to go. It's like, well, dude, you were You were the fucking person propping this up, so don't don't act news.
Speaker 1: That's what I think so too about David Oxlerod. It was like what you weren't aware, like everybody else was that this guy was old until like now, all of a sudden, it's an emergency. It was an emergency the whole time.
Speaker 2: Then you everybody else knew, you know, it seems like we suspected, but you like the new Yeah, you're.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be the Democrat you're supposed to be the good guys, and this is this is what you're you know, you're trying to like make everybody feel like insane because everybody knew this that we just accepted it because we were told we had to. You know, we just aren't voting for fucking Trump. People, get it. Stop talking. We're not idiots. That's the other thing is like they just think these people think that the general public, the whole general public, everybody is a goddamn idiot. Yeah, and it's not fucking true. It is not true at all. Everyone I talked to who's you know, cartoonishly what you would assume is, you know, whatever, I'm not gonna even it doesn't matter. But I but when I did those like man on the Street reports that talk to people like at bus stops and ship and like, it's just like every person who's down and out that you figure, oh, that person's down and out because they're dumb. No, they're not down and out because they're dumb. They're so smart. They're just down and out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, they're unlucky, like lottery system. We live in a fucking real world, open air casino.
Speaker 3: Actually, I should be fair to because he was he was a little bit more consistent with saying Biden shouldn't run. But that was like at the end of last year. But again and I and I guess I act the axel Rod aside of it. There are many people that were part of the established friends with Rod.
Speaker 1: Huh are you friends with David Axelron?
Speaker 2: I heard Axelrod fucked a couch all. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean he's my father in law's picking up.
Speaker 2: Daddy. I mean David.
Speaker 3: He likes to be called David actually, But I do just.
Speaker 2: Want to just something you said, Chris, that like, yes, that this idea of there's a lot of like tropes you grow up thinking are true because you see them in movies and you know one of them that like other people are stupid, or that the vast majority of people are stupid, turns out not to be true. Like, the more you learn about the world, the more you're like, no, they're just like a lot a lot of people that get written off are just people. The more you read and learn about the world, the more it becomes clear that the one like theory that you always see when in movies and when you're a kid, that there is a small group of white guys who make all the decisions together and freeze everyone else out. That one is like, it seems like the most far fetched. That's the one. That's the one that we've been right about all along. Like the wealthiest one percent of the global population, it was just reported accumulated forty two trillion dollars in the past ten years. Like they're getting so much richer, so much faster. Like in the ten years since we started talking about the one percent being a problem, they've gotten so much richer, so much faster.
Speaker 1: And that's why it's hard to get out of bed in the morning. I mean, honestly, it's like, you know, so it seems overwhelming, but I just like made a deal with myself.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I was just deal with myself. Oh good, I can't wait to hear about this. I'm just gonna be quiet. But no, I just think that like I made I made it. You know. I really have been feeling lately, you know, really like especially because I write the column and I do podcasts and stuff. I was just on Zach Ben's podcast Grinding to a Halt the other day, which was really fun. I don't just thought of that one, and uh yeah, and uh but but I, you know, I I think about these things a lot, and I don't know how to I'm realizing that I'm not changing it. I'm not changing I'm not gonna change it. I can't change what that cabal of white men are gonna do with the candidates. But I can like stay alive and not despair because somehow I can be of help. I know it, and I don't know how it looks, but I will remain, you know, And I think about all the all the other countries that have had all these horrible things happen, fucking Palestigne, you know, just like those people are still getting up in the fucking morning and trying to live a life, and and it is absolutely horrible what people have to go through. And I, you know, I just am trying to remember that. I guess the deal with myself is that I'm going to try and keep showing up, even though I'm not sure how to how to help. I guess that's the point. But I know that waking up helps if you're if you're not a bad person, just being present, just being present on the damn earth as a good person is inspiring to other people who will then hang around to we all just have to hang around for each other and be like, oh, well that's guys, we're all still here, so I guess we need to stay, you know. I mean, just like there's something about just and that was my under overrated was just going to be that saying of putting on the oxygen mask on yourself, like before yeah, like you gotta do you gotta do the thing, you gotta put it on the child afterwards, because I feel like everybody's.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't think put it on at all.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's oxygen mask on themselves and that's it. That there's a second part to that anyway, but that's what I do think that that that's it. Like I mean, I'm not sure. This is all like a crazy situation, you know, and you know, I just want to keep showing up, which is which is also some MODI modified slogan for some other organization.
Speaker 2: I can't think of keep showing up something like that and just doing it. Yeah yeah, yeah, there we go. Well I can't put it any better than that. Chris Crofton has always a pleasure having you.
Speaker 1: Thanks so fun, so fun, so wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one bananas one banana, one banana, He's off that one banana and cold brew and one.
Speaker 1: Spoon of one spoon of of almond butter.
Speaker 2: Okay, that'll do give you?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Almond butter? That's Chris. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 1: You can find me on at the Crofton Show, on Instagram and Twitter. You can order my book, The Advice Can Anthology from any dystopian company you would like. It's like twelve bucks from freaking Walmart. I buy him from Walmart because it's cheaper than getting in from Vanderbilt University Press. But anyway, go get that book. And uh, I got a record coming out this fall, and I and I have a plot. I have a plot too. I'm finally gonna put it out, and I have a plot to somehow include you guys in that launch. So I'll talk to you guys about that maybe later. But I have an idea of like maybe I can premiere the singles on the Daily Zeitgeist or something like that. Oh that'd be awesome. But uh, it's a beautiful record and I'm really excited to finally be putting it out. So that's gonna happen. That's called I'm Your Man. And also go check out my last record Hello It's Me, which got a seven point four from Pitchfork.
Speaker 2: That's how It's me amazing exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what it was named for. Yeah, that song.
Speaker 2: I mean, Chris, is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? Man?
Speaker 1: For this one? It's just that whole Minneapolis public television thing and that shinders the shinders thing. Man, Let's start choreographing dances in fucking arcades again. Yeah, and like using payphones, let's change it up. Not well, using payphones is out of the question, but you know what I'm talking about. Let's bring it back to the fucking tap dancing on the on the on the sidewalks.
Speaker 3: That's exactly.
Speaker 1: Remember that doctor pepper ad Remember that doctor. Are you guys old enough to remember? No, but there's a doctor Pepper Addy tell us in the street. It was like TikTok except it was except it was just like you know, everybody had sex afterward. There there's no sex in TikTok.
Speaker 2: There's no sex in anything anymore. No, Yeah, the fuck?
Speaker 1: You know what those dancers that did the choreograph dances in the freaking peep show. You think they didn't.
Speaker 2: All come on, naive?
Speaker 1: Now, come on, now, come now.
Speaker 2: Where can people find you as their workI media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can find me on Twitter and Instagram at Miles of Gray. You find Jack and I on the basketball podcast Miles and where We're talking. Some of the are one of our guests, Ravon Edwards favorite players from the nineties like Nick Van Exwell, Jason K. Grant Hill look Back and a look to the present exactly. Also and find me talking ninety day fiance on four to twenty Day Fiance. I tweet I like is from at Eagleman four two oh six ' nine. I don't know if you remember the JG. Went Worth eight seven seven cash Now commercials and it would be like a fake opera. Well, this one has JD Vance in a Viking helmet and it says I have a raging boner and I need couch now called jd Vance eight seven seven couch Now.
Speaker 2: This was stupid.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: A lot of good a lot of good couch content, a lot of good couch con The end of the world is funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, it's this is our These are our circuses and bread right here, fucking memes.
Speaker 2: At Lowlan, we tweeted myt vance Couch No Angel, which is I'm sure the story that we'll be seeing eventually Vance Couch No Angel. And also I was enjoying a tweet from trash Jones who tweeted having siblings is so important because you learn the exact amount you can annoy someone before they try to physically kill you, which is an important lesson that we all learn along the way. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore o Brian. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist or at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. We're link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what song do you think wentworth? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Just bloop that shit? Actually no, this is a track I was talking about with producer justin yesterday. We were talking about this Tame and Paula Justice. There's like a new Justice album that came out in the beginning of the year, but they do a track with Tam and Paula and Kevin Parker's voice goes surprisingly well over the electronic beats of Justice. So this track is called it never Ender Justice featuring Tame and Paula, and it just feels like some ship you could play with, you know, on a hot day, weekend vibes kicking it off. So do that made the weekend? Never end, never Ender Justice and table Paula.
Speaker 2: Oh damn. Justice's album hyper Drama came out earlier this year on Pitchfork six point three. They don't got shipped on, Chris Cross, I got shipped.
Speaker 1: On from that album? Must that album must be terrible, lot of skips. Their numbers are crazy though, those those those numbers don't mean anything, but well.
Speaker 2: You should have had a test.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are crazy.
Speaker 1: So I have a giant tattoo of it on my back.
Speaker 2: So what so what next to the Nixon one? All right? We will link off to that song in the footnote. The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio ap Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for US this week. We are back on Monday to tell you what was trending over the weekend. We also have the weekly Zeitgeist that drops on Saturdays that gives you a digest of all the things that happened on this week's episode US, so you can check in for that. Otherwise, we'll talk to you on Monday morning. Have a good one.
Speaker 1: Bye bye bye