Speaker 1: Hey, yo, pop quiz. So how many members are there of the Wu Tang Clan? And now, if you're under thirty, you like who you know? Is a just a methad band, specta deck master, Killa, ghost face killer, old dirty beast that you still probably like who?
Speaker 2: Now if you're over thirty, you like nine.
Speaker 1: No wrong, one hundred and thirty six and probably much more because Wu Tang Clan is actually a gang. But are the nine that wrapped the original nine? I mean, what's the original? You know saying like who knows?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: It's a lot of them, though, I mean you gotta think about King Justin and the Grave Diggers, like listen, cap of Donna, y'all. It's a lot of members, and they all got subcommittees. It's a whole thing. What about the ASP Mob? How many of them are there?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Some of you might be like ASoP rocky, Well, what about Yams and ferg Asop's a crew like that. They're a mob ASoP Mob, It's a lot of them. Their names all start with ASoP something right or asap whatever you want to do it. I'm so used to like ASoP rock, but like as in like Asop's fables, anyway, whole other genre of hip hop. The point is it's a lot of them. You know what I'm saying, what's a gang? I mean, are there crips and bloods? Well, no, there's a lot of different types of crypts, bloods.
Speaker 2: Y're said, this.
Speaker 1: Roller sixty crypts, then this West Side roller six their neighborhood crips then and then their neighborhood sixty crioks. In Oklahoma, in Kansas City, it's a lot of them. Gangs, clicks, sets, hoods, it's a whole lot of them.
Speaker 2: But somehow they all make sense.
Speaker 1: And the way that those delegations work is quite confusing.
Speaker 2: It's quite a network, but somehow, somehow it works. Somehow.
Speaker 1: You ask anybody from grew up around this stuff, it's not really hard stry to explain, but you get it. Like if I were to say, Young Money is a division of cash money millionaires, which was really a label, but really actually it was all of this stuff that bird Man put together and built the foundation upon Lil Wayne and let Lil Wayne spouted out and did the young money, but they all part of one group. It's all cash money millionaires, but young Money is just somehow all that makes sense, and Drake it all makes sense. If I were to say Grave Diggers is a subgroup that Rizis started as a members of Wu Tang clan somehow or another, that would make sense. What the hell that is a caucus? And why is Ayawa was so important? Let's talk about it hood politics, y'all? All right, everybody welcome. Now before we get into what the hell of caucus is, y'all see that we got that.
Speaker 2: Little subscribe button all up in the feed.
Speaker 1: Now, Cooler Zone Media because cool Zone Media plus is corny, but Cooler Zone Media we're gonna do start doing like you know, ad free joints.
Speaker 2: You feel me so ad free shows.
Speaker 1: Me and Matt been trying to think of some extras that we want to do, maybe some like song exploders.
Speaker 2: You know, me and Matt actually have music.
Speaker 1: I've actually recorded a bunch of songs to these beats that Matt be making. Will probably drop them in the feed in the bonus feed. You know, I'm saying for the subscribers, you could hear that music here us talking about the track I'm probably gonna do. Try to do a Q and A matter fact, let's do a Q and A first, because that's the easiest. So hey, hit us with some cues and I'll try to hit you with some a's. Here's some ways you can hit us with q's and a's. You could just tweet the Hood Politics Pod Twitter, or you could hit the Politics Pod Instagram. Maybe slide slide into them dms. Those are usually the best ways. I check them here and there, but now that I'm putting this out, I'll check it a lot. But yeah, I'm kind of excited about that. Man, Like, we've been sitting on me and Matt been sitting on a mixtape, so it might be kind of cool to start giving y'all some heat.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Cooler Zone Media.
Speaker 1: It's a way for you know, us make a little money for what we're doing, because only won't making money is Robert NIGGI.
Speaker 2: I'm just playing but low key. I mean The Bastard Show does have like a.
Speaker 1: Trillion on those today, so I mean he got it honestly. Anyway, I'm just picking on the Homi because I love them. Now let's move on, Yo.
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 1: Everybody is about that time? Election season? You about to hear all kind of names running up to this thing. Besides just the players that are in the thing. You're gonna hear stuff like the candidates and just announced candidates are all gathering in Iowa for the caucuses to try to get enough delegates to go into the primaries to be selected as the primary elected official for the president of the United States. But the Democratic Party needs super delegates, and you're gonna hear all these turns and be like, niggas, what the hell are you taking? Who are y'all sended? What does any of this mean? And why everybyce, what's up with Iowa? Why everybody so, why everybody's so worried about Ale, Why everybody's so worried about New Hampshire? Seemed like the little off brand states no disrespect, but I'm pretty sure y'all skip this section of civics. Matter of fact, according to the last report that didn't came out, nobody knows civics. And I don't blame you because this stuff be be mad convoluted, But when you in it, it just kind of makes sense, just like I understand the hieroglyphics relationship to Soul's a Mischief and why Dale is the guy. It just I don't know, it just makes sense for some reason in the Dungeon family when I talk about that as something different to outcasts, and how Narls Barkley somehow plays a role in all that basically because of Goodie Mob and see Lo Green, it all makes sense. So today I'm going to talk to y'all about I just want to teach y'all some vocabulary as we go into this next season, for you to know what the hell we talk about. What the hell is a caucus, what's a delegate? Why do we need them? Why IOWA? And why this matters? Just so you could know what's happening. And again, ain't no test coming at the end of this. This is at no actual class. I just want you to know what they talk about when they start talking. And again, as proven by the main thesis of this show, you understand more than you think you do. These are just very strange words. Are you all ready to get into it?
Speaker 2: Let go? So I'm gonna immediately mix my metaphors here.
Speaker 1: The season we're in now, like I'm gonna use the sports analogy here. This is more like walk on tryouts. Right, You're just trying to make the red shirt team, and you know red shirts are usually just they're the practice team. They're the team that scrimmages, the team that actually made the team. Like, I know, if you're not in the sports, that don't make no sense either, But essentially that's what we're looking at right now.
Speaker 2: These are walk on Like.
Speaker 1: Some of these people have been recruited, some of them just trying to get they shot. Some of y'all probably not gonna make it out of summer league. You know, some of you're gonna go down to the D League, the G League, some of y'all gonna go play some of the Bush league, minor stuff. But if you lucky, you're gonna bet the main recruit, you're gonna make it to the You're gonna make it to the squad. Now, look though, but if you already on the squad, if you already know you got a slot, ain't no point you coming in those summer league stuff. You don't see no ballers at the summer league game. Why you going to tryouts. I'm already on the team. Now you might get a Cinderella story like a Austin rei'es out this mug, but like, if you already on the team, you ain't coming.
Speaker 2: I tell y'all, quick little story.
Speaker 1: I remember I had this gig at this uh small It was probably like a D two college. That's Division two if you don't know college out in I want to say it was in Alabama. And the guy that booked me knew I like playing balls, so he was like, Yo, you want to come run with the team, Like I'm down. Yeah, yeah, well you know you can come scrimmage with us before we start practice. I was like, hell, yeah, let me get some run in now. So I went to go hoop with him, and I was super proud of myself because I was like, you know, I was getting buckets, you know what I'm saying, Like I was holding my own. It was pretty dope. Then the starters came. Turns out wouldn't play with none of the starters. When I tell them, boys ran me up and down that court. The caliber of cooping just jump so at. You don't look. If you don't already made the team, you ain't got to come to none of this stuff. Trump said he ain't going to Ohio with Caucus. He also said he ain't doing the first few debates. He'd like nigga for what I'm gonna see what I'm gonna see how y'all shake out. It's great to do, but Iowa caucus. But all of you are welcome to try out for this team. You're not trying out for every team. You're just trying out for this team. So you got people like Larry Elder, you got Tim Scott, you got Now I'm focusing on the Republicans because they're the ones that have to run a primary like right now. The reason why you're not hearing a lot about Democratic primaries, if you don't know this already, is because we have an incumbent president. The president right now is a Democrat. Generally, you usually don't primary, which means run to be your party's choice for president, when you already got somebody from your party as the president. It's such a dis you know, it's such a vote of like a vote of lack of confidence, like we do not believe in you, you feel me, So it just make your whole party look trash.
Speaker 2: So generally you don't do that.
Speaker 1: Now in this scenario, it's not that don't nobody hate Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: It's that nobody loves Joe Biden. That's the difference. Right, So.
Speaker 1: Your kind of hands are in a pretzel here, like, I mean, what do we do?
Speaker 2: This is our guy.
Speaker 1: It's like the Lakers stuck with D'Angelo Russell right now. I'm sorry, I'm a little I'm a little in pain right now. I really wanted him to be the dude. I mean, we can't trade him either. Good, you gotta match your salary. Anyway, I'm all over the place. The point is right now, people trying to make the squad. So these are the open tryouts. Now, what is a caucus? So you have your big umbrella political party, right, so you have Republican like it would almost be being.
Speaker 2: Like crip, you got this big thing, right.
Speaker 1: And as you know how the parties work, each of these parties have offices in different states, right, And inside of those parties are committees, clicks sets you feel me, and each of those clicks and sets kind of hold a different interest, a preference group, if you will.
Speaker 2: They have a desire that they kind of lean towards.
Speaker 1: Now for a caucuslet's see if I explain it like this, try to say it as simple as possible. When we're nominating a preferred candidate for the general election, the caucus is the meeting of registered members of the political party, and they're going to.
Speaker 2: Select a delegate.
Speaker 1: For their party's convention and hopes that these delegates will then nominate the preferred candidate for representative for their party in a general election.
Speaker 2: I know you just said, what.
Speaker 1: Ed. Let me pull back and say why we use the term caucus. The caucus actually just comes from a club in Boston called the Caucus Club. It was an informal eighteenth century political organization, right. But then it gets real confusing because caucus is also used interchangeably as like a subgroup or of members of Congress or state legislator or a legislative body belonging to a particular faction. Right, So like the freedom caucus. You know what I'm saying, them the weirdos. Well, from my perspective them the weirdos. But I'm not talking about that kind of caucus. I'm talking about this kind of caucus, not the Caucasions. I'm sorry, I'm just throwing in terms, making it even more confusing. Anyway, caucuses they differ from a primary. But wait before I get into that, let me go back and explain to you what a delegate is, because again, caucus is a meeting of registered members of a political party who select delegates for their party's convention SOS. It's so convoluted, but trust me, once you in there, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the delegate is the person or persons that represent the state they come from. How you get them delegates comes from state caucuses?
Speaker 2: You following me?
Speaker 1: So when you know when you see on TV the Democratic National Convention or Republican National convisuating all them speeches and stuff like that. A lot of times them speeches, them shows whoever they put like on like almost like the direct support to the headliner. You feel me the main opener, that dude who gives that speech. Usually you could tell that that food's finna be next. That the party is trying to like groom, like get this food together because you fin to be you Finita be next. It's it's it's Wayne putting Drake on a song, you know what I'm saying, because he's like, look this boy fin to be next.
Speaker 2: People, you do it in music all the time.
Speaker 1: You feature the person who you think finna be next to try to give them that shine to shoot him into the stratosphere. Right now, the Democratic Party and the Republican parties select their delegates differently, and each delegate has a certain amount of power differently, But whoever wins the party's nomination to go into the open election, which means you running against the other party, you're not running against your own folk, who have to get a certain amount of delegate votes.
Speaker 2: You're following me.
Speaker 1: But the delegate votes depending on the side of the state, and how many delegate votes each state gets, goes to the candidate. Now, the big difference with this part is like how the delegate power is like distributed. Generally speaking, in a Democratic caucus, the delegates are proportionally based on their level of support for each candidate. What I'm trying to say is, if you ain't got fifteen percent of the room rocking with you, then essentially you're out right you receive less than fifteen percent of the vote than them supporters, because that you ain't you ain't gonna win if you only got fifteen percent of your own folk. Democrats like, ain't no way you're gonna win in an open election like it. If we don't support you, we on your team, ain't no point, Like this is a waste of our time. So they like all right, fifteen percent, y'all gotta choose somebody else. It's like the person in the room that's like, yo, let's get some pineapple anchovy, uh vegan cheese pizza. Like, you choose something else, Nigga, your little points gotta get those people that were like that, comprised that fifteen percent got to vote again and choose somebody else because the dude they want it ain't gonna win, So then it gets distributed among whoever other people, whereas of the Republican it's just winner take off, whoever got the most wins. You ain't got to like switch around or nothing like that. That's just that's just one of the big differences for delegate votes.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: With all that being sick, keep in mind Trump lost the Iowa caucus and it went on to be the president. So it ain't the end of the world if you lose, you feel me. But we don't get to what the Iowa caucus actually predicts later. But just remember that that boy lost to Iowa caucus.
Speaker 2: So the caucus.
Speaker 1: Is choosing delegates that's gonna vote for their preferred person in the general election.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But again, this just Iowa is not the whole country. It's just Iowa. And I don't say just Iowa pejoratively. I just mean like, it's only Iowa that we talking about. Now, how does one caucus? What's so interesting about this is it's like it's physical, like it's in person, Like you really go into a building and you stand in groups. Right, So it's like I mean, it's you create little clicks, you create sets. It's like, yo, who's rocking with Nikki Haley? Come stand over here? Right? So you go into it over there, and you stand over there and you really talk about why you think this person is dope. And as people are walking by, they literally going, yo, come talk to us. Let me tell you what it's like. Let me tell you why it's fool dope. Then they go, okay, that's great, like a swap beat out this mug. Then you go to the other table and you be like, oh yeah, they kind of cool too, right, And then once you decide which one of these tables you want to sit on. As a side note, obviously I'm talking to people from states that don't caucus. Obviously, you from a state to caucuss' this is ridiculous. You already know all this stuff, but the rest of us are like, man, what galli don't caucus anyway? You quite literally raise your hand for the first vote.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's like it's a very.
Speaker 1: Physical sort of type of situation, like you. And then sometimes they have a quiet ballot, right, and then so they do three rounds of that quiet ballot just mean like a secret ballot, meaning you don't actually raise your hands, but they tally right, which.
Speaker 2: One of these fools we like?
Speaker 1: And that's just the Iowa cock That's how the Iowa cocus works.
Speaker 2: So that's really it.
Speaker 1: You register for your party and then like on a Tuesday, you go to a gym and you sit around at tables that represent the candidate that you kind of like, right, you have the opportunity, and then you get to speak on that person right on behalf of the presidential candidate, because remember the presidents of candidate ain't.
Speaker 2: Really they ain't in a room, you feel me.
Speaker 1: And then the voting occurs again by show of hands or through a secret ballot, and whichever candidate receives the highest amount of support gets the highest number of delegate votes. And again, like I said, the Democratic Party a little different, you know, they do, like, yo, if you below fifteen percent, then that mean you got to move around and move around them people because that man ain't gonna win or that lady ain't gonna win. Now, is different types of caucasus. As an open causus, which is like in a primary or caucus, all registered voters, regardless of party affiliation, are permitted to vote in each party's contest. Right, there's a closed caucus, right which you got to be registered within the particular party that that primary that that president is trying to primary. Then there's a semi open which you allows participants to vote in either party of the presidential race, but request a specific party ballot when you're identifying it. And then there's a semi close where the same rules are closed caucus while also permitting those who are non affiliated to a party. So if you are unregistered to any particular party, like you're registered independent, then you can you could get into these early caucuses. Now, one of you might ask, what's the difference between a caucus and a primary election. They're actually very different because a primary election, which occurs pretty much like a general election, with members of both parties voting the secret ballot at Poland places.
Speaker 2: Right, does that make sense? You ain't got to go in the no room and raise your hand.
Speaker 1: It seems it's so crazy that that's the way they do it, But look, it just it's a way to have a visual representation, right. And I think one reason why they's so important is because it's people. It's not like people that work for the candidate's office. Well it's not only them. Obviously there's a lobbyists involved, but it's not only workers for the candidate. It's the actual people talking about why they actually rock with homeboy, a rock with home girl.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And you look in people in the eyes and you actually sitting in a physical place is something that in some ways I think it's kind of dolt that we haven't let that go in our modern era. Now, the next question is why Iowa, because there's other states that do caucusing such a fun word, but why Iowa. Well here's why, Because Iowa, just because of election cycle schedule, they just happen to be first. It's really no magic to it. It's the beginning of the cycle and it creates momentum for people. So if you can get a buzz here out in the beginning, it betters your chances.
Speaker 2: Now, does Iowa predict presidents?
Speaker 1: Like I said, Trump lost to Iowa cockic meaning can if you win Iowa, that's probably means you gonna win the primary and probably become president because generally foods who don't do well in the Iowa coccus pretty much drop out of the race. It's like, okay, what's the track record, right, Well, the track record since nineteen seventy six was, you know, when Jimmy Carter became president. He was the first Democrat to win both the Iowa coccus and the White House right and kind of be set the presidents or like what they would say, like the Bell weather for how you try to predict like your chances in the future.
Speaker 2: However, do it work though?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, since then, it's really only chosen fifty five percent of the Democratic winners and forty three percent of the Republican winners. One of the few exceptions is a result in two thousand and eight when President Obama, right, the underdog at the time, won the Iowa caucus and then the Democratic nomination and then the presidency. But generally it don't it's kind of random, like, I mean fifty five and forty nine mean you got a fifty to fifty chance, do you feel me? But for some reason, we still believe that it's that important, all because of what Jimmy Carter did. Now, see, the thing about predicting elections is the fact that it's so unpredictable. You know, culture changes so fast and so drastically. No wonder people are looking for something to try to make it make sense because if not that of a job, like how do you set a you know more marketing campaign unless you're looking at all data. It's just the problem is culture shift so much. Obviously, this ain't the same world Jimmy Carter lived in. Who knows what's gonna happen out of nowhere. Russia might decide to invade Ukraine. That's gonna change everything, you know what I'm saying. Or you might you might get a reality show star facing fourteen criminal charges that just happened to be the far and away favorite. You never know what's gonna happen. But these politicians, just like all of us, are just trying to make sense out of chaos. We're just trying to wrap our mind around whatever's happening, hoping to find meaning in things we don't understand. Sorry, y'all, I got real theological right now. But you know God is good, and all my black people just filled in that space.
Speaker 2: God is good. Find your nearest black friend and ask him.
Speaker 1: The next question would be but still, though, you haven't really made it clear as to why Iowa, because before that Yoda Convention was in Chicago. The problem was that was in nineteen sixty eight, after Lendon B. Johnson decided he wasn't gonna run and guess what, there was a dog on riot.
Speaker 2: Homie.
Speaker 1: You have to remember this was the summer of riots, right. This was after doctor King was assassinated. This was actor President Kennedy was assassinated. Robert Kennedy was assassinated. The country was on fire. And listen, if you could take a second to look at the nineteen sixty eight Democratic National Convention. I'm just gonna let you I'm gonna take a break here and let y'all google this. Matt, go ahead and play some music right here, big dog. I mean, there was talks of like that one people uh huh, sending like acid tripped out hippies and hookers into the party.
Speaker 2: To try to like.
Speaker 1: To try to sabotage these politicians. It was a riot out that mug. Just just listen, go look this up. I mean, this was this, This bug was legendary. The reason why I got moved to Iowa just because they didn't want to smoke. And the reason why Iowa First is so important is just because it's first. I mean, there's no magic, right, and it's supposed to be able to create momentum, you know, And why it creates momentum is because you almost get a feel of like what the streets is saying about you, right, because it's actual people making the claims based on whatever info you put out. But it's folks trying to convince they neighbors, they friends, they other community, the other community members.
Speaker 2: Why they rock with this person.
Speaker 1: So that's a So when you're caucusing, that means you sitting at that table.
Speaker 2: I'm part of this. I'm at the Iowa Caucus, in this caucus for this fool. Right. And then if this.
Speaker 1: Fool if my food, if I'm a Democrat and my full only get fifteen percent, then guess what, he ain't make the team.
Speaker 2: I ain't gonna so I gotta figure out.
Speaker 1: Okay, who else am I gonna I'm gonna bet, like so you off the squad, you have to set you know what I'm saying. But then but if I'm a Republican, it's like, well, look, my man got fifteen points, you got twenty points, this fool got thirty points, and whatever how many delegate points total that my state has. Whoever wins this mug gets to go into the primary and not yeah, it gets to go into the to the convention to be chosen by the whole party, and then that is the primary election.
Speaker 2: You make sense.
Speaker 1: And then once once the party chooses, then you get that big speech, I am honored to accept my party's selection to for be the president of the United States.
Speaker 2: That's the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So listen, inside the party, you got states, states, got districts, and inside of these districts you got caucauses, you got sets, you got hoods, you got gangs, massives, clicks, crews, Caucasus.
Speaker 2: They're just words. The point is.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be using hood, gang, set, click, using them all interchangeably.
Speaker 2: But we kind of know what we mean. Iowa really ain't that special.
Speaker 1: It's just first Iowa doesn't always predict. Matter of fact, you got a fifty to fifty chance. But it's a good way for us to know who's gonna stick around and who ain't gonna stick around. So there you have it. That's a caucus. Go caucass everyone. You know, I don't know why I ain't thought of this before, but you know you could use promo code hood for fifteen percent off on terraform colbrew dot com. Like I forgot I own that company and this is my pod.
Speaker 2: Y'all, go ahead and punch it. Promo cod hood. If you in the.
Speaker 1: Cold Brew, get you some cold brew, gonna get you some coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I can't believe I ain't think of this still right now, yo, yo.
Speaker 1: This thing right here was recorded by Me Propaganda and East Lows, boil Heights, Los Angeles, California. This thing mix edited, mastered and scored by the one and only Matt Awsowski. Y'all check out this fool's music. I mean it's incredible. Executive produced by Sophie Lichterman for Cool Zone Media. Man, and thank you for everybody who continue to tap in with us. Make sure you leaving reviews and five star ratings and sharing it with the hommies so we could get this thing pushed up in the algorithm and listen. I just want to remind you these people is not smarter than you. If you understand city living, you understand politics, We'll see you next week