Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host Coley Witt, and today we have Grammy Award winning Soul and R and B recording artists Rahim Devon in the building.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, And he's already made my first, I would say, my first round of dish. He made me smoothie with what is pineapple, banana, ginger, root, rasberry, raspberries, blueberries, berries, manuka oil oil, manuka honey honey.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm already drinking good No, no, you who's for the table this round? And now we're cooking something else for me? I feel really really special right now. So what are you making for me? Right now?
Speaker 3: I'm like some garlic, kale, garlic, kale, fresh garlic. Thet things heat up over here, you know, cooking it up.
Speaker 1: So we talked before and we were talking about how this show is all about eating while broke. But what I loved what you said was like, no matter how it broke, I was, I still made sure to eat healthy, healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to eat healthy like you know, I believe it or not. You know, mushrooms and you know one red pepper, you know, maybe a little bushel of kale, it's not as expensive as one may think, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It really wasn't. So some of the team was like, oh, oyster mushrooms, it's so expensive. It was three dollars. Now the question is what are you gonna make for me? Officially, that's a real question because I was over here thinking it was scrambled eggs, mushrooms.
Speaker 3: Little mystery, little mystery mystery dish.
Speaker 1: We're excited about it. Yeah, So take me back to the beginning days. That's the hard times for him, you know.
Speaker 3: I well, I always been hard working, you know what I mean, even in the hardest of times. You know, I've been working since I was fifteen, sixteen years old, you know what I mean. So, like my first job was Giant Food and Calverton, Maryland, uh, which is like right there adjacent to uh Feltsville, Maryland.
Speaker 1: Is that like grocery store? No?
Speaker 3: What w Well you're a Giant Yeah, absolutely, yeah, so your partial pick up and eventually you know, graduated to doing you know, uh, customer service and.
Speaker 2: And working a register and all the things. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, every job I always had was in you know, like customer service. I think it it like prepared me for to be able to you know, be interact with people, which is one of my favorite things to do, you know, at the concerts.
Speaker 1: And uh it did you know early on that you wanted to be in music?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's something I always was drawn to, you know, even as it even as you know, as a kid young, you know what I mean. I mean, I think I remember seeing like was it Motown twenty five? You know, the Grammy Awards. I think I think right around like eighty four eighty five is when I really got that that itch.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you you grew up with music in the house, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, no single parent household. My father wasn't in the household, but he was definitely was in my life. He was a He was a classically trained child prodigy. Cellis no No a boy, the artist name Ebduai dude.
Speaker 2: My mother worked you know for I.
Speaker 3: Guess you could say like a law enforcement no immigrations was a was an officer for a long time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And but mom had the mom had the vinyl you know, the dope vinyl collection. You know, go through her vinyl collections. It's kind of just checking out, you know, different different artists, discovering artists like Bob Molly.
Speaker 2: You know, Quincy Jones as a producer, of course.
Speaker 3: A lot of Marvin Gay, uh, you know, and then I would and then and then I you know, spending time with my dad, uh you know, in his background, uh classically you know, and going through his collection and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I discovered Prince at a young age. You know, the Purple Wing album. I totally probably shouldn't have been listening to that, to that album at that age, but uh, I was just fascinated and blown away, you know by Prince.
Speaker 1: Did your parents know you could sing yet? Or did they were they? Did they have an idea? No?
Speaker 3: I kind of really just like kept that to myself. I think singing. I was a late bloomer, like, you know, pursuing the singing, singing thing, you know, first year of college going to Copper State College. I graduated from High Point and uh Peg County and you know, going to Confidence where I really kind of like literally like found myself. You know.
Speaker 1: So before then, they didn't hear a like they didn't have any idea that. Like they sent you off to college and like it's gonna go get a college degree. Did you tell them what you were going to college for.
Speaker 3: I originally went to college, I was I was red shirted, but I had I had a track scholarship. Yeah uh, you know, as a distance runner, and and.
Speaker 2: I thought I wanted to be in law enforcement.
Speaker 3: And I went for three semesters I felt, you know, I joined the singing group. I fell in love with the art of like singing. And next thing, you know, you know, I dropped out and here we are.
Speaker 1: And before you now in that transition, you because I read online, you know, you had kind of john harmonize with this group on campus, and that was kind of like the beginning is that cract? And then but at what point do you go home and you say, hey, mom, dad, this is the this is the the road change I'm making.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't going back home at that point. I'm an adult, you know, I kind of had kind of figured it out. I slept on a few couches here and then you know, I had some great friends who you know, who definitely helped along the way in that process. But I had to figure it out, you know. You know, at some point I became a dad. You know, I'm gonna try.
Speaker 1: Well, we're cooking for two cool? I want you to eat with me?
Speaker 2: I kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like to do it kind of like you know, and appetizers or oh is this you can kind of eat it?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Sports team shout outs to them, We're gonna eat it a school from now. You don't watch y'all back here? So I could try this, Yeah, absolutely, I'm gonna try it. So before I try, I gotta ask you the road of couch surfing. Was there any part of you that was questioning whether this was your purpose?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean I think I think definitely. Through life we question what our purpose is. You know some people, some people go to go through their entire life, uh, you know, trying to figure out their their purpose. You know, some people find it criocket than others. You know, how was I think I went? I went through the process of from from from from knowing to believing or from believing in knowing.
Speaker 2: Excuse me?
Speaker 1: Oh man?
Speaker 3: So, so you know that there's a process of like believing that you can do something, and then there's something like you know, absolutely knowing that hey, this is what I want to do. I'm going to figure out how to do it, you know, and uh, I think once I mastered the art of like knowing and manifestation understanding you know, the power of prayer. And when what was.
Speaker 1: That epiphany of knowing? Like when did you know? You knew?
Speaker 3: For me, it was like doing the open mics and just seeing how people responded, okay, yeah to the you know, to the music responded to me. You know, I always was an artist that uh, I always had to have, you know, even in my early career. You know, I had I had product, I had CDs, I had, you know, something that was tangible that people could you know, take me home.
Speaker 2: With them verse a. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And once I once I saw that or you know, or a perform a song and I would see how people would respond to it or ask me how could they buy the song?
Speaker 2: Then I knew I was on the something.
Speaker 1: Now. Typically during that whole process, I would assume you weren't were you were? You were still struggling financially. So was there anybody around you that's like whoa you know, is the is the math math making sense? Are you still doing side hustles to No?
Speaker 3: Definitely, definitely still working, uh day job, shy hustle stuff you know jobs jobs that I have. Oh man, I worked at UH, Like I said, giant food.
Speaker 2: I worked at.
Speaker 1: UH after college, after having baby and still pursuing music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is like, you know, definitely first son in the picture at this point, you know, working, you know, just trying to figure it out. I worked for I worked for a long Fence. I worked for Chevy J's bank telemarketing.
Speaker 1: While still doing music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, while still doing music. And is your go to get this word stout? Where's where's my where's my shoe?
Speaker 2: My shoe? Chef?
Speaker 3: Tasha?
Speaker 2: Help? Can we get that renched out for me? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Tasha. So you're just just for all our listeners. He's made a beautiful kaoe garlic salady like thing that was like heated over the stove. Now he chopped up the scallions, the onions, and the red peppers.
Speaker 2: Tell her to bring some forks too.
Speaker 1: Tell Tasha to bring forks. We're definitely going over your time, because I feel like the story is starting to heat up just as good as these dishes.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, it's all good.
Speaker 1: So you're pursuing this is your the mother of your child signaling any type of pressure on you to like maybe possibly give up music. Is there anything?
Speaker 3: Nah, I'm I'm, I'm, I'm I'm yeah, that's not that. That's never a parent you know, whether it's co parenting or my parents or whoever. Like at this point, I got my in my mind what I'm doing, you know what i mean? Okay, So yeah, as long as I'm able to provide and you know, for my son, you know, and take care of my my father's responsibilities. That was never an option to like kind of dictate, like you know.
Speaker 1: Like at this point you also know you know for sure.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean I'm yeah, I'm you know, it's it's tunnel vision, you know what i mean, like not having a backup plan, knowing that you know, this is something that you want to do. Uh, and then and and figuring out you know, like you know, you figure it out, you master it, You figure out what works for you, and you know, and then and then and it's putting the right time, you know, the right team around you too, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So was it early on in your career where you got your first like publishing or writing.
Speaker 3: So so so initially I was signed to a label. H We're not signed to a label, excuse me. Initially, I want to I won a contest, uh and at open mic contest, and and when in that contests, I used that money to get a CD burner and kind of like start burning my own music, selling out of the trunk another local artist and.
Speaker 1: I'll bring you recording the music to burn it.
Speaker 3: Well, another local artist and producer from the area. We we teamed up and mobbed up and ended up getting apartment together, and uh we formed a group called Urban AF thirty one, which we went on to, uh, you know, make a lot of great music. I need my cooking oil was my cooking oil.
Speaker 2: I think they brought something from the uh yeah, cooking.
Speaker 3: Tasha cooking oil called Tasha Jajah come back here and say it was we need cooking oil, cooking oil.
Speaker 1: No, that's olive oil.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we so we started, So we started, you know, we started this group Urban After thirty one, we put out a project called The Healing. Uh. You know, I also teamed up with a phenomenal artist from DC.
Speaker 2: It's kind of thank you, thank.
Speaker 3: You, phenomenal artists from DC by the name of West Felton.
Speaker 2: We formed a group called The Crossroads. So I always been.
Speaker 3: Part of these like you know groups, and just even in the early stages of my career, I understood what it was to like reinvent myself as an artist, you know what I mean, and and that and that there's you know a lot of different genres of music that that that that that you know, that I liked and I wanted to participate in and you know that whole thing.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like, you know.
Speaker 3: Figuring out how to do that being an independent artist at the same time, you know, through the process of it, and eventually, you know, what ended up happening was what had happened was that you know, uh, I met some producers from the area locally who were like super dope and their managers and people that they did business with, uh managed Genuine at the time, and uh you know, I asked, I asked the dre Vons and Cliff Jones at the time to manage me, which they which they agreed to do, and you know, I just kind of expressed them that I just wanted to kind of just like do music full time, you know, and if there was any opportunities to like you know, sing background for any artist, you know, genuine whomever did I'd be interested in doing it, and you know, I ended up getting a call for the gig and touring with him still while all while pursuing, you know, my career being part of these different groups stuff as well.
Speaker 1: And but at this point you're no back and there's no us. You don't have a day.
Speaker 3: Job, right, Nah, at this point there's no jay job. So yeah, so you know, now you got past that hurdle. Yeah so now so now so now it's like monetizing, you know, in real time, you know.
Speaker 1: So how long would you say that journey was that spam?
Speaker 3: Oh man, you're talking anywhere between two thousand and you're saying from like two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Two too, like two thousand and two, I did the deal.
Speaker 3: So you're talking, you're talking about this is right between like nineteen ninety nine, say, or ninety eight through like two thousand, like two thousand and one, you know where you know, you know, just figuring it out, yeah, you know, figuring it out and during that recording, what recording at the time what would become the love experience, not knowing at the time that that's what it would be, you know, and just never putting all my all my options in one you know, one basket, you know what I mean, I think, you know, allowed me to be able to do I could just be part of different things, you know, I in this group I'm doing my solo thing is Rahiem Devon, like you know, the option to that, you know, you never know what's going to kind of take off, you know, so you know, I was just just having fun doing it the entire time, you know, because I believe that anything, you know, what we do, it should definitely be fun.
Speaker 2: Right and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the interest, the buzz started to really start happening, you know, around two thousand and one, golding over into two, I started to go to a lot of artist showcases, RCA Records, whoever would have me. Like, we went, we got a lot of we got it, We got a lot of no's until we finally got it.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, you know how did you handle those no's?
Speaker 3: I mean we just never gave up, you know, you know I just kind of always like looked at it like, hey, if it's not going to happen here, then hey stay lost, stay what it's their loss.
Speaker 1: It's their loss. Yeah of course, yeah, yeah, you know were there's some lessons in there that you had to learn about the industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just, I just I just I never gave up, you know what I mean. I wouldn't say it was it was that anything was like painful, like you know, I you know, even then I understood that it was like, you know, timing involved like I like, you know, I was, I still was popping, you know what I mean. Yeah, So you know we were doing at that point, We're doing college gigs with the you know, with Urban after thirty one, and you know, I'm I'm I'm when I'm not out on the road doing my independent stuff, I'm on the road with g vir Ginuine.
Speaker 1: So it's you know, you're still moving in that forward motion.
Speaker 3: It seems oh no, for sure.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like you kept busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, That's that's the name of the gang.
Speaker 2: Like even like now, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you gotta stay busy and work and nobody's gonna give you that.
Speaker 2: You gotta work for it. You got ground for it, you know, and you gotta.
Speaker 1: Eat and you gotta eat to ask because this part of the show, I have to say, have me the most interested is the mushrooms. I know, this is a sidebar for everyone. But I've never really cooked mushrooms like this, so I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: You we got so we got a little cornmeal, right, and I saw you season it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got the mushrooms popping. But the oyster, the oyster mushrooms.
Speaker 3: I use a little jets egg, okay, right, just to get it, just to get it popping.
Speaker 1: And then you let us sit in there, right, yeah, let it.
Speaker 3: Sit in there, marinate a little bit, season it a little bit, and then we got the flour happening.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm so excited. I've never seen it. So if you would have left here and you would have like not gotten to this part, I promise you I would have been texting your management like it is, right.
Speaker 3: I just want to thing about the kel you know, even as it gets a little cool.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, there we go. That sound like.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've been waiting for that.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for it when you first put it in. I've seen someone on this show took water and did it, and I was scared.
Speaker 2: This is not the move.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's not the move.
Speaker 1: She made some really great onion rings.
Speaker 2: That's what's up.
Speaker 1: The kale is really good, So you just eat the mushrooms all by itself on the plate with the kale.
Speaker 2: Well do you yeah, I mean it's like kind of like a.
Speaker 3: Th This is like like a vegan chicken nugget, you know, finger fool you know, do you know.
Speaker 1: If there's any benefits to the mushroom.
Speaker 3: That's I think there's always beneficial to rushrooms.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So where do you see yourself going from here? Like what's next on the milestones for you?
Speaker 2: You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because after nineteen years, I'm on a I'm on a any client still you don't want to pivot?
Speaker 2: Like it's been great.
Speaker 3: I just finished a nineteen city tour let us uh you know, which was which was amazing. You know, I'm putting out music quarterly. Quarterly, yeah, quarterly, you know, been putting out the seasonal projects, you know, Summer of Love, Fall in Love, Winter and Love, you know, for spring, we're doing a series of.
Speaker 2: Of singles you know, which are being received. Well. So yeah, I mean, it's it's it's it's God's a limit.
Speaker 3: Definitely what I definitely see myself doing more television and film and and things of that nature. But it's still so much of the world that I haven't seen touring as a recording artist, you know, and uh, and possibilities that are out there. Definitely get into some strategic partnerships. Shout out to Gilead Sciencest, who was phenomenal, uh, you know, you know for the Raheem Devon brand and their brand and all the wonderful work that they're doing in the community, you know, advocating and you know, they invested over twelve million dollars in grants, you know, to create awareness and break down the stigmas about HIV and age and house affecting black women and girls you know, here in the country, here in the state with them. Well, you know, I you know, I do a lot of community work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I'm not you know, praying.
Speaker 1: For me gomet eating Wall Broke episode. I promise you I'm gonna go home and try to do all of this.
Speaker 2: Listen, you can do it. You can do it.
Speaker 3: You can you can you can eat while broke and still be you know healthy.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, which is the name of the game.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna be really judging the muscrooms really hard. By the way, I have another random question when it comes to the mushrooms. Earlier, I had said, when I was looking at the packs of mushrooms, one of them they look like really wet. Is that like a sign you shouldn't buy mushrooms if the package is look I looked at them.
Speaker 2: I think they were They're pretty good.
Speaker 3: Pick the one that was Oh yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, I think if it's I think, if it's ever in question, if you ever have to ask, then yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I would definitely say, trust your impulse on that, you know.
Speaker 1: But the ones I got you.
Speaker 3: Did you did good.
Speaker 2: You did good, you did good.
Speaker 1: I love how you're really chefing it, you know. So who are you currently signed to?
Speaker 2: I'm currently signed to myself.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to talk about. So what was you You were signed the Jibe at one point.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, so Jibe was from two thousand and two, the first album came out of five and then by two thousand and eleven, you know, January first, twenty eleven when.
Speaker 2: I became independent again. So about fifteen fifteen years give a take that I've.
Speaker 1: Been indy, you know, And what would you say the pros and the cons of being indie.
Speaker 3: R Man, I mean, definitely you make more money long long term. I mean, I think the main thing is about the ownership of it, you know, and just being able to just kind of just just dictate your destiny.
Speaker 2: You can put out music when you want, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just something about having your own you know, you know, and being having ownership.
Speaker 2: It's so important.
Speaker 1: You know, on the first record, on that record that you put out with Jove, though, was your deal? Did you not get your own majority of it or what was that deal? Well?
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I'm I'm I'm a I'm a published writer and producer and all these things, you know what I mean. So it really, you know, being independent comes down to having ownership of the master like you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know bucket lists.
Speaker 3: I want to I definitely want to go back and get the masters for the Love Experience album, Love Behind the Melody, and the Level More Masterpiece in particular. You know, uh, which were the three releases that I had with you you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know when we interviewed, I interviewed Bone Thugs and Harmony here and they rush still waiting. I think they had like another year before they can get their masks something like that, and it was really important to them, too.
Speaker 2: Very important thing. I got a baked potatoes your stove, so.
Speaker 3: This is really cook You're gonna have to excuse me and get them. I'm gonna go. I just want to. I'm hoping prayerfully that they're that they're did that go, We're gonna take a quick love king break, ladies, gentlemen, not be right back.
Speaker 2: The two finger snaps.
Speaker 1: And I was just really good garlic direct.
Speaker 2: Are they ready? Yeah? I don't know if they're ready. That one might be ready. They're not. That's that's yea.
Speaker 3: It must have. It looked like it cut off on you. Yeah, it keeps cutting off. Oh wow, yeah, he keeps cutting off.
Speaker 2: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: So guys, just so you know a little behind the scenes about Rahee. He's really into this cooking thing. Okay. We try to like tell him, you know, you don't have to make smoothies.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: You don't have to.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll pre cook, we'll preachop everything. He was like, no, I got this really into cooking. Wondered if he was really into cooking. He's really into cooking. He seems like real legit with this. Most guess we could talk them out of it.
Speaker 2: Really, they don't have.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Tony is back there having a heart attack over the time. I feel the pressure, Tony. I could feel you, and you come. Rahine's back, everybody. I was talking to the camera. I was telling him what I thought about you. Oh yeah, I was just telling Tony. I could feel his energy. I feel you, Tony pressuring me.
Speaker 2: I'm bad.
Speaker 1: He's enjoying this cooking. Okay, do you want me to open these? Do you want me to do anything?
Speaker 2: You can't do that? Don't be messing around in my kitchen.
Speaker 1: Now, he's enjoying this. Do you see this? So when you're at home by yourself, do you cook like this? Oh?
Speaker 2: I cook in spurts.
Speaker 3: I'm you know, yeah, life is you know, it's it's interesting. This is the busiest I ever been in my entire career. So yeah, so to uh so to you know, to have time is always the challenge, you know. Uh yeah, so you know that's the challenge. Time is the challenge.
Speaker 1: So what's your cheap meal when you're this busy?
Speaker 3: Sorry? I mean this is like a go to like if you get it, if you get if you get like, you know, a hotel room, uh with the kitchen, you know what I mean. You don't have to have the gas stove. You know, you have a couple of ingredients and just do your thing, you know what I mean. It's just like it's just like a is.
Speaker 1: There a reason why you choose them?
Speaker 3: Malayan salt.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's also a little saltier.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it could be.
Speaker 3: It could be a little saltier, but it's definitely a lot healthier though, Okay, yeah, definitely a lot healthier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely a lot healthier.
Speaker 1: But you're not vegan.
Speaker 3: I have been vegan most of my life. I have periods where you know, I do I'm currently like I guess I would say pro tarry, you know, and yeah in the sense of, uh you.
Speaker 1: Dip your pinky into the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll do I'll do lamb and I'll do wild caught fish like evident that It just I just feel like it agrees with my digestive track. I mean, yeah, it just agrees with me, you know what I mean. You know, me being a blood type that I am and just blood type absolutely.
Speaker 1: I want to get one of those done because I I a doctor told me I was alerted to red meat. So do you hear enough episodes of eating while broken?
Speaker 3: Hear me say yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, yeah. The thing that yeah, the thing is so it's just like, you know, it's good to know like what your you know, what what agrees with your body and what you know what serves your body best?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: What made you get me?
Speaker 3: I feel I feel like you kind of like are indirectly slowly poisoning yourself by doing anything other than that? Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it also takes I think maturity because I was telling my friends I knew I was alerted to red meat at the age of twenty four, but I didn't stop till I was like thirty six. And why do you think Why do you think I was just immature? It's an immaturity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, if I see oxtail or short rep, I'm like, no matter how much I love you, I'm not doing it. This is the part I've been dying to try it. Can we show it to the camera?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: Guys, that looks legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's my oh my dog, my dog my dollar.
Speaker 1: I'm excited about this. Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 2: You got some options of.
Speaker 1: Do we have dipping sauces?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Options?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have difference. You have dipping sauces too. Absolutely shut that right there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try and make this at home. I'm gonna send your team some pictures of it.
Speaker 3: So you got oh, okay, we got we got sauces.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I just want to try.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try it. Here we go.
Speaker 2: So we got cherioockey sauce right there, and we'll do so.
Speaker 1: Who was your favorite collab in your career?
Speaker 3: My favorite collab? Yeah, man, I worked with a lot of people, of course, you know, uh ghost Face and Ray Kwan, you know, definitely always bucket list stuff, DJ Jazzy, Jeff Kenny, Dope. I can't say like I have a necessarily a favorite.
Speaker 1: Bless you do you have a favorite at least collaboration where it was a g overall just great experience from beginning to end, or experience that surprised you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think the roots, the roots, you know, me working with the roots and just the way that whole Uh, that whole situation happened with rich uh Nicholas, who was kind of like the hidden member Slash. I guess you could say manager uh for the group, you know, being this being the studio with Raymond Angry and Black Thought working on these records one on one at the time, rich Rich kind of being very specific about what type of records he wanted me to make.
Speaker 2: There's a song on They're called.
Speaker 3: A Man with No Future Future and the irony, the irony of the song is that I didn't know at the time, and I don't I'm not sure how many people know at the time, but Rich was Rich was uh was was was was.
Speaker 2: Uh terminally ill.
Speaker 3: So he had me so so I remember having this conversation with him on the phone about creating this record about a man with no future, not knowing that I was making basically like the soundtrack of his life. Oh wow. Yeah. And I don't know if I don't I don't know if he ever shared that with Black Thought.
Speaker 2: But it just uh yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of well, when when when the album when like literally he passed, like the week that the album dropped, or like I want to say, like right before the album dropped. Like maybe maybe maybe within that thirty day. I can't remember the timeline, but like and it was just like wow, like Rich pat and then and then it came out like, hey, Rich had been sick.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: So then so then I started going back to the conversations that we had that we had been having about the music and how specific he was he you know, when he told me the concept of what he wanted and what, you know, what what the production was saying to him. And then I say and then I'm like, yo, wow, this was about him.
Speaker 2: How's your How's I.
Speaker 1: Want to try it? I'm gonna try it right now, guys, I'm gonna try it without seasoning.
Speaker 2: I'm going there. Really, you're going there.
Speaker 3: We shouse chicken, Rob it's schuey.
Speaker 2: It was not dry like chicken tender tender.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tender. Well, it's chewy, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Chew.
Speaker 1: I wasn't too sure if I could like actually successfully bite it, so I shoved the whole thing in. Guys. Which one was the cheriochy? This one? This one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah old I tried. I feel like this would go really good with.
Speaker 3: Ranch by the way, guys, Yeah, a ranch would do me and myself, I'd have to do like a vegan ranch.
Speaker 1: I think that's barbecue. You tried this one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's barbecue. And that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna eat all of these, guys. I don't know if I'm hungry or if I just like it.
Speaker 3: I think I think I like it.
Speaker 2: I think I might be onto something.
Speaker 1: Guys, something gonna come in to my house and be like, what are you making? I'm making?
Speaker 2: It's banging with the barbecue. Barbecue, that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, barbecue is quite better, but the barbecue gives it the pop.
Speaker 1: Is there a reason why you chose to cornmeal? Holding? I'm gonna eat all of these? Did you? Did you have more? But did I? There's more. I don't want to be that person that like eats all the food and the guy looks up and he's like, wait, did you eat it all? That happened to me one time. It was really embarrassed, really embarrassed.
Speaker 3: That's really good. Where's my sous where's my shoe chef?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I need I need the sour cream and the sour cream and cheese out of the out of the fridge.
Speaker 1: Yep, And uh does your team know that you're passionate about.
Speaker 2: Personal Okay, what do you think? I'm here, but.
Speaker 1: I'm saying because I think Tony's gonna murder us. No, you gotta be a You're.
Speaker 2: Not gonna even speak that into assistance.
Speaker 3: I feel the pressure.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna eat all of Is there a reason why you chose the corn meal holding?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean no, no, no, no, no no no, no, no no no.
Speaker 1: It's like on the table. It's on the table. It looks like a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And what we're gonna do because we're gonna have.
Speaker 1: To don't do this one.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 2: Improvise a bit. Where's my knife? Where's my knife? Myna?
Speaker 1: Oh here?
Speaker 2: Sorry, yes, yeah, you can just sit it right here.
Speaker 1: I need to keep basking this. But is there a reason why you keep why you use the corn meal outing but the corn meal outside on the and versus any other bredding for the mushroom?
Speaker 2: I just like the texture. How do you like it?
Speaker 1: I like the texture? But I was just curious, like if it was a flavor thing or was a texture.
Speaker 2: A flavored texture?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm curious if you were to do this corn meal outing with a different bread.
Speaker 3: Now, if I'd have had more time, I probably would have did a I probably would have did a.
Speaker 2: A U.
Speaker 3: I probably would have fried it and then put it in the oven for a little bit too.
Speaker 2: Why just to give it a little more, For a little.
Speaker 1: More, I'm waiting for more. It's good though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the only reason why I'm saying that is either it's like I like the texture, but I feel like either mixing it with another breadcrumb or maybe maybe adding like garlic powder and onion powder or something maybe to it.
Speaker 3: Bro You know the thing is too it's in the keys in seasoning. You know you could seizon your flower.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So again, you know, it's really about how much time you have. No Usually when you're eating broke, you're trying to get to somewhere to make some money.
Speaker 1: This is so good. This ain't eating this ain't this is this is I'm glad you did this because it's teaching all of us that we can eat healthy and on a budget, and that being you could also be vegan and.
Speaker 3: Also eat on a budget, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Which I never thought. I never knew. But I've been watching these new videos that people are like turning like lion mushroom. Have you ever seen a lion mushom?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, you do that. Yeah, absolutely, that was a potential actual d the DMV.
Speaker 1: Just come back every day and just show us a new vegan lesson. Okay, I mean.
Speaker 3: That that sounds good. It sounds like it's good to the pilot.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, Like I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing a good job here, ladies, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: What is some things that fans would be shocked to know about you side is the fact that you love to cook.
Speaker 3: Maybe I guess my love for you know, community and just the work that I you know, how passionate I am about the community work that I do. And then and then and then I guess just you know, just a passion too for the passion that I have for working with you know, uh well community. But it also just like the fans, like you know what I mean, the meet and greets and just the whole the way you know, that exchange it happenings live like something that is.
Speaker 2: Very important, you know, very very important to me.
Speaker 1: Was there anything that happened during your career or life that was like a major pivotal moment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the loss of my dad you know, is going on two years and my dad passed and and I I can say that it's definitely been, uh been a pivot for me, you know, in the sense of, I'm gonna kind of do do you do you some thing because we're pressed for time and we are eating while we're broke. I'm gonna do like a dice. Uh you are really like, we're gonna do like you a dice.
Speaker 1: Potatoe.
Speaker 3: We're gonna call it a dice. Uh, it's not mashed a dice, baked potato.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Okay, this looks legit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we call it a Mexican.
Speaker 1: I've never seen anybody do this. Yeah, let's see how that you're really showing off?
Speaker 2: How that? How that? How that? We'll see how that?
Speaker 1: How that?
Speaker 2: How that does you did? Let's see and uh, let's take that off there. So we're gonna burn things?
Speaker 1: Do you have to take those out and burn.
Speaker 2: The house down?
Speaker 1: Stay all right?
Speaker 2: I think we pretty much Tony's gonna be excited because we pretty much.
Speaker 1: To hear the rest of pretty much done here about your dad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so yeah, about that, it's basically where's my sour cream? So it's basically like you know, that's a when you lose you know, a parent, child, you know, a loved one, something.
Speaker 2: Of that magnitude.
Speaker 3: Will you know, it can break your spirit m like completely, Like you know, some people don't bounce back from from situations like that, you know what I mean, like mentally you know, just talk about depression and just like all the things right, so you know, but for me, it's definitely been part of my my pivot one one me knowing that you know, that energy is always.
Speaker 2: Around me.
Speaker 3: And just you know, just just just knowing that you know, the spirit lives forever. So I feel, I I f I I feel my dad and my loved one and my ancestors and you know and and all that I do.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like your dad was very proud of you?
Speaker 3: And oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think the the tough the toughest part for me is probably having has been having to has been having to it's after the show. My dad was the type of person. Yeah, my dad would be the person that would like call me, you know once the show was once the show was done, like you know what I mean, Like, hey, I was to show the night type vibes you.
Speaker 1: I like the way it looks. But I know what that tastes like, right, that's yeah, but they're not. Yeah, let's do the thin one that's farthest from the seed.
Speaker 3: Let's do this. I break you, I break you down one into like just for the presentation.
Speaker 1: I love how passionate you are about this. What would you say your secret ingredient would be to life? Like, if you had to say one secret ingredient to life, what would you say it is? Am I allowed to try this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the dude, he govin. Yeah, I would say it's my secret ingredient to life. Uh is No, it's it's it's you know, it's the I think. I think it's the art of hustling, you know what I mean, like like just you know, it's the art of hustling. Understand that you're gonna go out and you gotta get out and go go get it. And you know part part part of the art of hustling is like it's uh, it's it's not only manifestation, but it's about at the end of the day, you know, it's about ownership, you know. And uh, for me, you know, my one of the greatest intellectual properties is my is my music, you know, so for the so for example, the deal that I have with even Diabez and how I'm usializing that new platform that's out there for great artists or any any artists out there. If you're independent artists, you want to make eighty percent of the revenue. You want to go from zero point zero three percent streaming wise and have exclusiveivity to where to where you can bring your fanship to one place and and and and and see your and see your streams go from you know, get paid off of your streams, you know, a fraction of a penny versus versus two dollars. I think the two dollars or a dollar twenty five sounds.
Speaker 2: Good than me on what platform?
Speaker 3: And that's even dot biz e V E N dot biz b I Z. And you know, I released the Winner of Love project there first, uh, which is which is still doing extremely well. And now you know, I'm doing side artists deals with with with phenomenal artists like the poet Rob Brown who just dropped her project. There's no place like knowing, you know side.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: So that's like Raheem Devon presents. Okay, yeah, yeah, So so you know presenting other artists and using my platform to you know, uh, to to to to expose my fans and music lovers to to new art, you know, new new poetry, you know, phenomenal poets, musicians, you know.
Speaker 1: You know see this, They're gonna ask, well, how do we get our music in front of you so we can get on that radar?
Speaker 3: Oh It's so easy. I mean, I'm not I'm not hard to find. I would say definitely start with the Graham Instagram, Rahiem underscored devon uh official website, Raheem Devon Online doc Global. You know, I'm you know, sliding the dms.
Speaker 1: Some of those dms have blockers? Does your How do you know if yours does or doesn't?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean one only have one page artist page, and and and those and if you know, you know, I'm very very engaging, you know.
Speaker 2: On the platform.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's you know, how at me, you know what I mean, part of part of, part of, part of being an independent artist. And I think a successful independent artist is it's uh, it's it's it's it's about being accessible to the fans. How how do you like your I just want to say, nice baked potato.
Speaker 1: This is the most inappropriate question I will ever ask a guest.
Speaker 3: But are you?
Speaker 1: Are you single? And the only reason why I'm saying this is, ladies, I'm dating it, Ladies. I gotta say this. Okay, I have to say this. This man cooks for you. It's the end.
Speaker 3: Why is it?
Speaker 1: What's sweetness? Is it the potato that has this a sweet kick to it?
Speaker 2: You got a little sweet kick.
Speaker 3: It's probably the sour.
Speaker 2: It's the vegans sour queer.
Speaker 1: Well, Jared, you're back there. I promise you this is the best potato you'll ever have in your life. I was nervous for you. Put in that concoction of pepper that that.
Speaker 2: Is your average baked potato.
Speaker 3: But did that's a that's a that's a dice, slice and dice mm mm.
Speaker 1: This when's best potato by far. This can win award competition.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to come back.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna try it? You're gonna try it? Have you had this before?
Speaker 2: I got to have a little bit.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you something. I'll be honest, the best potato I've ever had in my life. And I am stealing this recipe for life.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: It's vegan sour cream.
Speaker 3: I be I'll be honest with you, peppers, I'll be honest with you. I pulled an audible because I know that we you know, we got time constraints, so I had to be you know, I had to pull audible. What an audible? I had to pull an audible. I had to had to pull up. I had to call a play.
Speaker 1: This is the best play of my life.
Speaker 3: Your your your your stove. The electric stove in the other room was not being.
Speaker 1: So I had to how long did you bake those potatoes for?
Speaker 3: I did the best I could what I had over there, and it just stove over there.
Speaker 1: All I know own is that I texted. I told him this. I texted the booker while I was driving. I was like, I can't believe we forgot some ingredients. I'm personally driving to get him, and I texted her I said, whoever is dating this man is eating good. And then I tried the potato and this is amazing. This was amazing because I would have never thought to mix cheese with the peppers the way you did. You may have to release a cookbook. There's something to go out with the albums. You think I'm playing. Is it not delicious?
Speaker 2: Okay, hell delicious?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's something different, right, yeah, this is the best it is, right? Have you made this at home before? It tastes good right in my tripping.
Speaker 3: Now I'm trying to figure out that's maybe No, I didn't. I know, I didn't use his plate to cut ginger. Oh, I know what it is.
Speaker 2: I used the mints, garlic paste and the ginger paste. That's where you get to kick the sweet kick.
Speaker 1: Where in the when you were doing the onion.
Speaker 3: When I marinated the vegetables. So this is a good like marinate. It's like kind of like my go to so I married, I marinated the vestments and then we topped it with, you know, with the topics.
Speaker 1: The bigger I was thinking it was could have it could have been that you chose red potatoes.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That's what it did.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. It is bomb right, that was the keys.
Speaker 3: You can't use too much though, you know, ginger can be overbearing, you know, garlic ginger.
Speaker 1: Look at the way he's eating at best best, one of the best dishes on the show. I'm glad that you were passionate.
Speaker 2: Jallapeno in there. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And you know what this also says about you, is that anything that you put your hands to or touch, it seems like you go one hundred percent. Because even you could have we gave you. I try to give you a lot of Hey, you don't have to do all this, but I noticed you. We're like, no, if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: No, we gotta do it right. We gotta do it right. You gotta do it right. Yes.
Speaker 1: And I had to listen to Bulletproof the whole time I was shopping for you.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: I like this, This is amazing. Right, Yeah, it sucks because oh because I always try to share some with Jared Dark camera guy.
Speaker 3: My slice, So this is gonna be my slice baked potato. Hands on, Beth, the slice baked potato.
Speaker 2: This was just.
Speaker 1: Whom you ever streuch it too. Yeah, it's the best potato. Everything else was great. The potato is the number one best potato and the entire three seasons of Eating Wall Broke. Wow, Yeah, you're the champion.
Speaker 2: Hear that, guys.
Speaker 1: The goat they're gonna try it. You guys are gonna try it. Is there any way, any way, your fans can keep up with you. I know you mentioned Instagram. But we're about to close out, so I want to see if I covered everything or if I'm missing anything. Once the cameras go down, I'm like wolfing all this stuff down. Can you sing us too? Oh? And he was singing like a little eating while broke song earlier too, you were harmonizing us. You could close out with a song. Look, he's trying to swallow.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't eat and sing.
Speaker 1: No, No, people hate when we eat and talk too.
Speaker 2: This has been amazing. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: It's been an honor tove to feed your belly and.
Speaker 1: And get our kitchen nights and thirty are set nice and thirty. You're like a real cook. Look at that. So I want you to I try to make all the singers. I think we had Mario Neo now raheen. We want you to sing a reminder.
Speaker 3: You all.
Speaker 2: Sing a reminder?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I have like I had Neil sing like a little and Mario sing a little, and we gotta have you sing a little. We should do a snipe of.
Speaker 2: Who I gottatch? I gotta wash it wash it down.
Speaker 3: Jesus, it's so good.
Speaker 1: Did you mix it with your smoothie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a little smoothie backwash. It's not gonna.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, hate to put you on the spot. He was singing earlier in the kitchen when he first got here.
Speaker 3: Oh man, they're gonna make my life so complicated.
Speaker 1: I love it. I'm gonna do a thing of like you could guess who who sung, who sung?
Speaker 3: What I'm gonna have to do like a food.
Speaker 1: Truck or something you have to I promise those potatoes are gonna sell like hotcakes. Hotcakes.
Speaker 2: This is the best apple juice.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you're talking about. The apple juice and the potato was the best thing that ever happened to anyone's kitchen.
Speaker 3: Mm mmmm. It ain't nothing to lock up.
Speaker 4: One man, one man, one man, strong, one man, one man. Well fed woman yep, fed by Raheem, divine kind of woman.
Speaker 3: Well, it has been another wonderful episode of it. Wow, Broke, I am Rahem, Divine, the love king of soul and R and B. It's been a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Peace out y'all for more eating. While Broke from iHeartRadio and the Black Effect. Visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.