Speaker 1: Him to pull a cat soul.
Speaker 2: How's it going to everybody? Welcome back. Apparently the Giants general manager called Brian Cashman about Louise Rise this morning and said, Hey, I heard you guys are interested. I heard you need some contact hitting. I heard your second basement sucks. And Cashman was like, you know, I don't know, man, do you have any fat, slow outfielders who strike out a lot and don't hit for power? Welcome back, everybody, Welcome back. Another dud of a deadline for Brian Cashman and the New York Yankees. The trade deadline always reminds me of that scene in Apollo thirteen where they're all waiting for the spaceship to come back to Earth, to come through the atmosphere, and they're waiting for a signal, and you have to wait a certain amount of time and then they're gonna either hear for him, hear from them, or see the parachute open. Only this time there was no pair. The Yankees trade hopes burned up in the atmosphere. I think you have to call this a massive enormous loss in l as the kids say. For Brian Cashman, and if passed, this prologue Cashman is going to have a press conference here pretty soon in a little while where he'll say, look, we're getting back Aaron Judge, we're getting back Cody Bellinger, We're getting John Carlos Stanton back. And that's like winning the trade deadline. It's just like winning the deadline. The only problem is that Cody Bellinger was having a bad year and in a horrible slump. John Carlo Stanton is only visible to that kid from the sixth sense, and Aaron Judge hasn't swung a bat since fucking Memorial Day. As Shooter McGavin would say, yeah, good deadline, though, the Red Sox picked up Adley Rushman. And if you want to talk about consequences of getting swept a couple of weeks ago, if that doesn't happen, maybe the Yankees went out in those negotiations and actually land a catcher, and we'll talk about that. But let's talk about who the Yankees did get. We already talked about Luis Garcia Junior, Helliot Ramos, good hitter versus lefties under control through twenty twenty nine, a little fat, little slow, not much of a good defender. He's hitting two sixty four with nine home runs and a three zero four on base percentage, which if you're new to baseball, that's not very good. That is not very good. I'm gonna pull up his splits. Maybe there's something better in the numbers, but I've been looking and I don't see it. I mean, maybe they like his underlying metrics, and we can take a look at the stat cast numbers two, but I am not convinced that he is any kind of a savior. I am not that impressed by what I've seen. Let's go ahead and start with his splits. So you see the total numbers there in seventy four games, twenty six point eight percent strikeout rate, So another guy who strikes out a lot five eleven, two hundred and thirty five pounds. So he's not exactly what you would call a sleek nine overs, thirty four RBIs. With runners on, he's doing okay, hitting two eighty three with a seven to fifty nine OPS in UH with runners in scoring position, hitting two to fifty with three home runs and twenty six RBIs, and A's seven to twenty two OPS close and late situation is actually hitting pretty decent three forty eight. But that's just twenty three at bats versus lefties. This is where he shines. Two ninety two average, three forty three on base percentage, eight thirty five ops, two homers, five doubles, one triple, five walks, eighteen k's and still strikes out a quarter of the time versus lefties. And that's his strong side. Versus right he's hitting two fifty six with seven home runs and a seven or sorry, six ninety six ops and a twenty seven point one percent strikeout. Right now, let's pull up his uh baseball savant here and take a look. So, I mean, he's got some decent metrics. The base running value is a little bit above average, the expected batting average is decent, expected slugging is okay, average exit vello surprise, surprise, got somebody who has some decent exit v loo and barrel percentage. Hard hit, but he doesn't hit it on the sweet spot. He's got average bat speed, he doesn't square it up. He chases everything, he doesn't walk. He's got no range in the outfield, he's got no arm. What the fuck am I missing?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: And the guys they traded for him, quite frankly, the return for Elliot Ramos is astonishing to me. It is astonishing how much they overpaid for him. So Henry Lan was just beginning to put it together. He's a big, tall lefty who for a while has been a top Yankees prospect two point eighty seven ERA this year only throwing fifteen two thirds innings at high A. Just got promoted. But this is a guy who has electric stuff. He was compared to like Randy Johnson and some of these tall, lanky guys. It takes a while for you to put it all together. He's had some injuries, but this is a guy who I think is going to be an absolute stut. I was chatting with Terrence, who's one of the occasional co hosts on this show, the other day and he was like, low key, who wouldn't you trade?
Speaker 1: Who would you.
Speaker 2: Hold back as a prospect? And I was like, I think Lelane is gonna be awesome. And they gave him up in this package. And not only that, they traded Cayden the Kent. Cayden Kent, who was a third round pick last year, hitting three to two with six home runs and a's seven to ninety two ohps. A shortstop forty three RBIs so far this season in the minor leagues. He was just drafted last year, and now he is going to get a chance to go and make the big leagues in the same ballpark where his father Hall of Famer Jeff Kent played his career played most of his career. We got a couple of super chats here. Frank says, I can't even begin to articulate my disgust at Cashman you. Matt Meyers says, I live in Texas, but whoever's going to the game tonight, please get some fire Cashman chance. The deadline was absolutely atrocious. One hundred percent agree.
Speaker 3: With you, son of a.
Speaker 2: And Luis Arrez went to the Philadelphia Phillies. He was somebody that we were looking at as a potential perfect fit contact hitter, leadoff guy. Now he's gonna go play second base for the Phillies, who are shifting around their roster a little bit to accommodate him. He's gonna play under the tutelage of Don Mattingly, who I'm sure will have some thoughts on being a left handed contact hitter hitting three fifteen versus lefties three twenty eight versus righty's. I think regardless of his handedness, he would have been an upgrade at second base from Jazz Chisholm, who's having just an abomination of a year. Jazz Chislm right now is hitting in the two twenties. He's nay, hitting two twenty even with sixteen home runs in forty five RBIs a ninety three WRC plus so seven percent below league average, and a thirty one percent strikeout rate. And the swings he had the other day, guys were unbelievably bad against lefties, against righty's, this guy has been awful this year. The move was to go out and get our eyes, and the Yankees decided not to do it. But one thing they did do is they went out and they traded for Luis Garcia Junior, who will be in the lineup tonight batting third and playing I believe he's playing first base. He might be daching tonight. Let's double check the lineup real quick and find out for sure. He is playing first base tonight, and he's got the highest average on the team two eighty three with eight seventy three ops so yes against right handed pitchers. The Yankees made their offense a little bit better, but Brian Cashman neglected to fix the one area of the team that was a clear, clear need, a clear need catcher. He absolutely had to address the catcher position, and he didn't. And you can make the argument that maybe Lombard gets called up and fix his shortstop. Okay, you can live in the make believe world where John Carlo Stanton stays healthy for the final two months and somehow makes it through October without ending up in a fucking wheelchair. But there is no reality in which Austin Wells and Ali Sanchez is an adequate catching combination for a team with championship expirations, expirations, aspirations. There is no reality in which that is the case. And quite frankly, this is the type of tandem you're rolling out when you're just playing out the schedule and you're not really trying to win. The offensive catcher has been abysmo abysmo. Former first round draft pick Austin Wells is hitting one sixty one with a fifty four WRC plus forty six percent below league average. He's got fourteen RBIs. It's fucking august. I don't know what you do. I don't know what is Cashman's job. Everyone knew the Yankees needed a catcher. This like if you have a shitty toilet and you call up a janitor. Okay, I got a shitty toilet. Don fix my toilet. The janitor shows up and instead of fixing your toilet, he trades for a fucking left handed hitting DH and first basement and then leads, and you still have a shitty toilet. That's what this deadline was. The Yankees had an obvious, glaring issue, and not only did you not fix it, both of your big competitors and the division got upgrades at the catching position. Liam Hicks went to the Rays, and I think that this is an underrated move. This guy can really hit. He's hitting two eighty two with a three to sixty three on base percentage. Yes he's lefty, but I don't care. Fourteen home runs this year and a good catcher. I mean, he's more of a bat first catcher, but he would be an upgrade over what you have now as a whole package. Doesn't hit lefties very well, hitting three oh seven versus righties, two hundred versus lefties, so kind of a big contrast there. But Adley Rushman was available and the Orioles were willing to trade him in division, and in fact they did to the Boston Red Sox. Now he's hurt right now, and he's been on the ail a lot, but this was a complete and total abdication of his duties by Brian Cashman. Chara Soon says, Cashman clutches onto his prospects that he won't play or trade.
Speaker 1: They just sit.
Speaker 2: But then you look at the Lalane move and it makes even less sense. One hundred percent agree. Cashman totally abuses prospects. I don't know what to tell you guys. All right, let's take some voicemails. Here's Pat from Trenton.
Speaker 1: Hey, Derek, it's Pat from trent I hope you had a good day of work man, because if you all you did was sit on the toilet and take a ship and scroll your phone, you did more than Brian Cashman did today. He trades for two bats of first basement and now fielder, which we barely need. Meanwhile, we do not have a third baseman that is playoff caliber, a shortstop that is a Major League playoff caliber shortstop, a second baseman, or a catcher. The ligneup has four spots in the lineup every single day that are automatic out Fulpy Caballero, McMahon, Wells stink, get rid of him. And the only reason our DH somewhat manages because we have rice in there. But we're running out Father time. Paul Goldsmith out there. This is ridiculous. Brian Cashman needs to go. George Steinbrenner just rolled over in his grave watching no moves get made, No upgradeed catcher, no upgrade in the infield. Pathetic, you appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So tonight's lineup has a two to eleven leadoff hitter in tran Gresham. Our cleanup hitter got called up a week ago. Our number five hitter has a six fifty four ops. Our number six hitters hitting two twenty. Our number seven hitters hitting two oh seven with a six twenty nine ops. Our number eight hitter has already matched his career high at home runs with eleven and has a six eighty two ops. And Austin Wells is a black hole with a one sixty one average. Guys, this is bullshit. This is absolute bullshit. Stephen Fremain, Yes, ye, Derek Steve calling from Maine.
Speaker 4: Hugely disappointed, but not unexpectedly. I'm gonna blame I'm not.
Speaker 1: Gonna blame this psye Cashman.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna blame this disappointment on John Hayman and Joel Sherman because the last month.
Speaker 1: All we've been hearing the Hanks.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be the most active by the Yankees.
Speaker 1: They've got all these thumbs in every.
Speaker 4: Pie and they're calling him. They're not out on anybody. They should Bologney. We know better. We're not idiots. Ashman, he's the idiot. He's disappointed us. Once again.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the call.
Speaker 3: That is Chase and Derek is chased from North Carolina.
Speaker 5: I love the show man. Just wanted to talk on Cashman in this deadline real quick. So let's just put this into perspective. And I know it's a little bit different because you know, more prospects were involved on the Dodger's side. But the Dodgers use their number five prospect to get Tarik Schoogle.
Speaker 1: We use their number.
Speaker 5: Five prospect to get Elliott Ramos.
Speaker 1: That's the difference.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, that's a great call. That is a fantastic call. I heard Trek Scoogle wanted to go to La a lot of times with these stars. They'll ask him where they want to go play, and they'll give him a choice, and apparently he chose La, which hurts the team's leverage. But it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Here's another call, Derek, another deadline, another Yankees done. All these prospects that the Yankees want to hold on to, I better fucking see them up in the majors byte in the next week. I don't want to hear shit anymore. If you're not going to trade them, bring them up now, sick a cash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George lomb Our Junior will probably be called up soon. This this seems like the type of thing that Cashman likes to do. You know, we didn't get anybody. Sorry, let's make you feel better by throwing you a triple A prospect. And then when he starts off slow, you know, two bad weeks, everybody boos him and then he's ruined. And then he sits or he plays once every three days or you know, or there, or he'll trade time with Volpi or whatever. They'll only play him against guys who doesn't match up well with I don't know, I don't know. Hey, tough deadline for the Yankees, obviously, Luis Garcia Junior is a solid hitter against righty's. He's gonna give some pop. He might very well hit a home run tonight. He might hit two home runs. Who knows, he might go on a nice long streak. But the Yankees appear to be counting on John Carlos Stanton, which is an absolute.
Speaker 3: Joke for you ain't got no legs, Luton Day.
Speaker 2: And counting on Aaron Judge who hasn't even started baseball activities yet, And counting on Cody Bellinger, who was not exactly tearing the cover off the ball when he went down, and he was maybe just heating up a little bit. But he had a bad month or so and was hitting two fifty nine, So maybe they're counting on him feeling better and getting back into the lineup soon helping things out. John Carlos Stanton, I mean, I I don't even know how you can count on this guy being a player in rehab coming back from a calf injury. He suffered another calf injury. He has been out since April twenty fourth with a calf strain, and he wasn't exactly killing the ball when he went on the il. He had a one h three ops and he didn't exactly tear it off or tear the cover off the ball in the postseason last year. Like everybody likes to say, yeah, he had a good postseason in twenty twenty. He had a good postseason in twenty twenty four. But to be honest, I don't know if we can count on him right now. The lineup is pray they throw a right handed pitcher at us and then you got Ben Rice and Garcia and maybe Spencer Jones. Spencer Jones I think is coming around a little bit. I'm actually kind of happy they didn't trade Spencer Jones because he's shown some real improvement the last few days. I know, he went over for four in his last game, but he's got five homers now, he's got a one thirteen OPS plus or sorry WRC plus since getting called up. He's shown some real potential. He's got a good arm. If you look at his stat cast numbers, they're pretty impressive too. I'm gonna pull up Spencer Jones and it's clear. I mean, without even looking at his metrics, I can tell you right now he ranks near the bottom of the league in helmet fit. But let's just zoom in a little bit on mister Spencer Jones here. His average exit v low, his hard hit percentage, his bat speed all elite, his barrel percentage is really really good. But again, another guy who whiffs chases does draw some walks. His arm strength is great, his sprint speed is fantastic, and when he hits him, they stay hit. So all right, guys, I'll see you after the game tonight, second show of the day and unfortunately a quiet deadline for Brian Cashman.
Speaker 1: You can win.
Speaker 2: I'll see you next Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun t shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind, if we earned it. We'll see you next time.