Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. Here we are with my intrepid crew, Terra Sude, Daniel Romo, Amy Sugarman the season five episode ten, but not as cute as Poushkin Danielle. Hello, everybody, how are you? We love?
Speaker 3: We love this episode, dem oh loved.
Speaker 2: It is so good and bravo to you. It's a big Luke episode. It's a big Luke episode with very very emotional scenes.
Speaker 1: If you want to see Luke Dane's unloading on an elderly woman in a driveway, this is your episode. This is this is the one.
Speaker 2: This is You did okay though, because you were an ass, But I thoroughly enjoyed it. Am that poor woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt bad for her, I really did. But she hung in there like a champ, didn't she. She took all those shots and she.
Speaker 2: Was she really wasn't even frazzled. She wasn't even frazzled. She's like, should we sit down? You're losing your mind anyway.
Speaker 1: Remember I'm going to be appearing at Louisville Popcorn Louisville, Kentucky, June sixteenth through eighteen.
Speaker 2: I saw that on your Instagram, and.
Speaker 1: There's a new one. I'm gonna be in South Carolina. I'm gonna Charleston, South Carolina. I saw September the sixteenth, one day only with Chad, Michael Murray and Matt Sucre.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's like a fab five event dot com. So that's one day only September sixteenth, and we're gonna par already down in South Carolina, beautiful Charleston.
Speaker 2: Can you maybe bring your audio recorder and just get us a little something something well.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, look, yes, we're gonna have to. We're gonna have to. We're gonna have to record that panel.
Speaker 2: That one is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's gonna be a big time. So maybe it's another trip for Tara down Ohlson.
Speaker 4: Last year you were Charleston. Same as last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same promoters, with different venue I think. And plus there's a Chad piece and a Matte piece. Fin there you go. All right, everybody, anyway, let's synopsize and get into it. Danielle take it away.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 6: This is season five, episode ten, but not as cute as Pushkin Air Date November thirtieth, two thousand and four, Rory is asked to host a chiltern student for a few days at Yale, but the student is more interested in her freedoms than the responsibilities that go with them.
Speaker 5: Lorelei learns about.
Speaker 6: Luke's Dark Day, which happens to fall on the same day as Miss Patty's fortieth anniversary party. Paris tried speed dating and finds herself paired with Doyle. Logan embarrasses Rory, prompting her and Richard to pull a little prink of their own.
Speaker 2: So fricking good. This was so good. I can't wait to talk about Logan, but first for Scott and Danielle, because I think we touched on it maybe in a previous podcast. Did you see Paris and Doyle coming?
Speaker 1: I did not. I did not, but I thought it's one of the more satisfying couplings and Gilmore girls thus far. Really funny. One of the great lines of all time came out of it. End this episode, and I'll get into that later, but I loved it. I think it's their share a brain, They're meant for each other. It's perfect.
Speaker 5: I agree.
Speaker 6: I weirdly thought Doyle was gonna like Rory. But I'm pleasantly surprised that it's a match with Paris, and it makes me really happy.
Speaker 2: They are very like an instant match.
Speaker 5: They could they are each other.
Speaker 1: That could have been an interesting spinoff show.
Speaker 2: Actually, Scott, that is really I've never thought of that, and I actually I could totally enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I you know, I think they were. I don't know that they ever considered any spin offs because than the just one, the jet right right, because he wasn't that well established and he was young enough where people were going to you know, migrate over and anyway. But I remember having this conversation in the executive dining room with one of the big executives about spinning off and potential spinoffs and all this because they were you know, the executives over there are really accessible and yeah, really smart and forthcoming with information and they're just very friendly people and they invites you to lunch and they're.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, fancy fancy dining room. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, the explanation that you would hear over and over is they would miss if you did a spin off with just a couple of main characters whatever they'd miss. The audience would miss the characters that weren't there, right right, they would be pining from now. It worked. I think it worked with All in the Family and Archie's Place, and I don't know how long that went. It worked with Frasier, okay, because he was such a dynamic, entertaining character in his own right. You know that he had the skill set and the charisma and the presence to pull off his own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those interesting examples because some of it, like the Jeffersons, you're you could still watch All in the Family, and then the Jeffersons was like just a part of it. You know, you don't miss him so much, right, same thing like Happy Days spun off Mork and Mindy, but like Mork was on it just one episode, you know, it's not like you're missing it.
Speaker 1: And you have a Robin Williams totally just like kinda hit it out of the park every time he shows up.
Speaker 2: It's a good point though, because Joni Loves Chauci didn't work, then they just send them back to Happiness.
Speaker 1: So but I think that is one of the couplings that you know that might have been interesting.
Speaker 2: I like that after the seven years, so you finish the series and then you spin it off and we follow Paris and Doyle on their journey.
Speaker 1: Doesn't necessarily have to be Paris and Doyle. It could be two characters very very similar, maybe written by the same writing team.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for you to watch butnheads, then you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Like one Justice I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: No, I can't wait till you watch it because it is good. Wait, okay, so back on this.
Speaker 1: Sorry, when am I watching this doing more homework? I have more homework.
Speaker 2: When we finish Gilmour Girls, we'll get into So in the beginning of this episode, I actually watched it three times because I had a hard time. I don't know if it's like my ears or I just wasn't getting it. So Laurelize walking and I realized later it's the bag of shoes and she bumps into Miss Patty and then does she say something about Carrie Bradshaw? Is that what she was saying? I think it was, but I was like a little confused by the beginning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she says, Patty says, goodness, what's left to wear on your feet? And Laura l I says, I know it's a sickness. Everyone thinks it started with Bradshaw, but it actually came over on the Mayflower.
Speaker 2: Oh, because she's saying, now I get it. Oh that took me a minute because she had so many shoes in that bag, and I don't think we'd ever seen the shoe repair placed before.
Speaker 1: No, anyone quite exciting. We must have opening up a new territory. We were there. It's the first time it happened.
Speaker 2: And then we learn of Miss Patty's fortieth anniversary in the business that is show legit. You know.
Speaker 1: You starting interrupt, But I think the purpose of that scene was to get the information out that it's Luke's dark day.
Speaker 2: Of course a percent.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The one thing I do like about Gilmore Girls is they always make sure like there's a lot of alcohol flowing on Gilmore Girls. She's like, well that food well booze. Like They're always like, we need a drink, you know at the.
Speaker 4: At the first thing is a drink.
Speaker 2: Like It's definitely a part of the show.
Speaker 5: M my type of show Amy.
Speaker 1: Where are you are you? Are you at a recording studio?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does it look like I am Are you at a record Are you in a hotel.
Speaker 2: I'm in my loft in my house in Tahoe.
Speaker 1: Oh really, it looks like you're in a high end hotel because I see the three little bottles.
Speaker 4: Of water, bottles of water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like looks like very hoteling.
Speaker 2: Like it's my mini bar, it's just my minivar. I'm literally in a room that has like the lowest ceiling. It's crazy. Okay, I can't even explain to you where I am, but hopefully I sound okay. So we get into hearing about Luke's Dark Day, which I think we'll really delve into because I thought that that makes the character complex, like I want we'll get into that later. So we then switch over and we see Paris and the Life Coach has returned. Terrence, the Life Coach is back, and I think that's when. Yeah, so this is when Rory gets the call from head Master Chiltern, I mean head Master Charleston at Chilton and Anna is coming. So what did you all think?
Speaker 1: It's a nice surprise to inject a guest star in that fashion. It shows Rory in a different light. Alexis had to memorize a lot more dialogue because oh a lot. Yeah, I mean, she just had to talk talk talk talk talk.
Speaker 2: Literally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot of black ink right there. Understand, a lot of black ant, says Rory, and then black chunks of black ink.
Speaker 2: A lot of boring Yale history that I didn't realize until you just said that she really had to kind of keep going.
Speaker 1: And the fact that she knew all that history was pretty amazing. Right, So she'd prepped or she'd read up on the history of Yale before she even applied, I guess, but she knew her stuff.
Speaker 6: I tried thinking about like the college I went too. I couldn't tell you one thing about any of those benches or like even the history behind the buildings. I'm like that very impressive, Rory. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I actually do know a few facts. Do you guys want me to tell you one weird fact about UC Berkeley? Yeah, go for it, Okay, The this is This would have been good if I was hosting Anna Fairchild. The Architecture building, how is it is? It's designed to be boring? Right, It's the most plain building. I couldn't think of the word. It's created to be boring. It's the most dull building on the whole campus so that the architecture students when they go in don't have any like preconceived ideas of architecture. So because they're going into that building every day, so they wanted it to be like plane and boring. It was conceived to be that way. Fun fact. What you guys got fun fact.
Speaker 1: Could be a fun fact from my college. Yeah, can you think I just remember well, I went to Rutgers and I remember being intimidated by Hill Center, which was the math and science and computer buildings part of the campus. And it was very intimidating, It's all I remember. It seemed like, you know, smart people. Yeah, and I didn't know what the heck guy was doing there. So, uh, I was taking all these courses and I'm like, Jesus.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have excited when when Headmaster Charleston says that Anna's coming, because I thought, oh, this is going to be good. This is sort of like I just had a feeling it was going to be good and kind of fun. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was excited to hear back.
Speaker 6: I was excited to hear back from Chilton, you know, like I wanted Chilton to re emerge somehow, and I'm happy that this is how it re emerged.
Speaker 1: But isn't his wasn't his dialogue and his manner and his tone so great? I mean, did they really nail the dialogue for the head Headminister Charleston? Charlton especially really late, he really laid it on thick with that that New England d totally refledged upper crusty tone, and especially.
Speaker 2: At the end when we get the payoff with him calling Rory. I know I'm jumping ahead, but like he's so like irritated, but he doesn't get angry.
Speaker 6: He's so just like he can't get angry. He literally can't get angry, and he can't scold her. She doesn't go there anymore.
Speaker 3: He holding her in a very proper way where she's just like, oh that hurt. Like I can tell she was like bummed back.
Speaker 2: I love what she's like. I think I somehow like didn't graduate.
Speaker 1: Now what retroactively failed me? The one thing that.
Speaker 2: I thought was a little interesting about this episode. So we go to the poolhouse and Richard and Rory are so bonded about the what she should show Anna and just all the history of Yale and Rory so excited. Laura. I was just a hint too bitter for me, Like she was so sort of mad about it, and I thought the jokes were funny because she was like she was right being like, this is so not gonna be fun for this girl, but she was just like a hint too mad. I'm like, why is she not like supporting her kid's love of Yale.
Speaker 1: M mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Well there's one reason why, because her parents are.
Speaker 2: Exactly interjection is that the fashion this episode, which we'll talk about, was super leveled up. I thought everyone looked amazing, like localize in that red sweater with the cutouts, and Rory was wearing all these layers. But I do want to talk about that. The scarf is literally the indicator that it's winter. Every character scarf, Like I'm not kidding that, it's just must be like, Okay, we want the audience to know it's winter, throw a scarf on them, but like not.
Speaker 6: Even like cute ones, those skinny ones.
Speaker 2: That don't it's pretty nineties. But we can we can dissect the scarves later. Okay. So we do get little tidbit here at the pool House portion of Friday Night Dinner in that he brings up Logan so Richard brings up mister Huntsberger, and Laura's kind of like, who is that? So they talk about Logan, they talk about Mitcham, that Mitcham owns the paper, so I thought that was significant.
Speaker 1: He really just started pushing the Logan relationship potential very quickly out of the gate. I mean, it's like the first time Laura I heard that information, Richard knew about it, and he's already scheming, you know. He's like, it's just like, this is like, this is how you kill a relationship. This is how you kill the I mean, if she had any kind of enticement or any kind of curiosity as to you know, forgiving Logan his obvious you know, the obvious obstacles there in place for Ror to overcome personality wise, you know, Richard kind of Kenny. I don't know, did he did? He did? He did he make it more difficult for those two to get together? And was that his purpose?
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if Okay, and I might be reading too much into this, but I'm thinking maybe Richard saw their chemistry, which they undeniably have, and so did Marty. So it's almost like Rory is the last to open her eyes to it because I think Richard did that because he literally saw how comfortable they were together. They really, especially at that party. Logan was so comfortable with Rory. It was like they were besties. So maybe Richard saw it and leaned into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really leaned into it.
Speaker 2: So then we kind of get to.
Speaker 1: This because he's giddy. He was giddy. He was giddy, he was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's into it. So then I thought the transition was a little weird because all of a sudden, we leave Friday night dinner and lorealize it. Luke's with no pants, Like, she's just wearing your shirt getting pie. So I was a little bit like, whoa, But I'm assuming maybe she just goes there after Friday night dinner.
Speaker 1: I think they have a very healthy physical life. I think they I think they enjoy each other's company in private quarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is a line that's always stood out to me the whole run of you know, every time I've watched Gilmore Girls. She says, this is nice. I think it's going very well, you and me, and it's like, yeah, it is. They're so comfortable. Then we kind of get the dark day we learn about we don't get into why, but she mentions Patty's and then Luke really changes and he's like, can you turn the light off? I gotta get up early. So I don't know, Scott, like, what are you thinking about your performance?
Speaker 7: A cent?
Speaker 1: I liked it. I thought everything was going well. I enjoyed. You know, he's an intense guy and he's got his quirks and his secrets and he's you know, he's not yeah, and it just makes me want to know, as an audience more about his relationship with his dad.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: It must have been something very very special for him to, you know, at this stage of his life to really like have a dark day and it's just every year and it's just really but you know me, it's very sad, sad.
Speaker 5: You know what's interesting.
Speaker 6: I kind of thought of it like a little bit differently than you. I kind of was like, he has such a like a like especially with the boat, which we'll talk about later, like such a I want this away. For a second, I was kind of like, oh, maybe they didn't have a good relationship. But then I was like, why would he take over the diner? Why would he you know, like buy that building? And you know, be so invested in things.
Speaker 5: That his dad built.
Speaker 6: Right, and then at the end it kind of made me like oh no, no, no, go back to like how what you were just saying, like no they I think he was a very special person to Luke and somebody that he definitely idolized, and it's hard for him to have that person gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he really looked up to him, and he's very sentimental about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was kind of venturing to say two things about Luke. One is I think his father was the most important person to him until Lorali. I think she is not in the same way obviously, but that's why he tells her about the dark day. It's like she has leveled up to this person that's so important to him. And I think the other thing that I'd love for Scott to talk about is like Luke is not a simple guy. You sometimes think he is. He's the guy, you know, he's he owns diner, he's you know, he's not overly fancy, he's but he isn't simple. He's complicated, he's got, he's smart, he's there's so much more to him. I find personally, as he's.
Speaker 5: Kind of emotional very.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm, and you wouldn't think that at first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's yeah, there's a there's a volcano under there, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like okay, so we'll dig into all the scenes. But like for Scott, i'd love to hear like because this was so there was each scene was emotional. The scene with you know, first you are like, no, I don't want to turn the light off, then the one with the woman at the garage that you rent for the boat, then getting upset at Loralai, then going back every single scene that Luke has.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you why I think it's affecting you this way. And I'm going to be really open about this and they probably shouldn't be, but I think it's interesting, you know, and I haven't thought about this before, but it just hit me. I think Luke at that time, and as I interpreted the character in those scenes at that time was a two thousand and six, two thousand and five, two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it doesn't. Four yeah, four.
Speaker 1: I think the reason that it was so intense for me and that's how it came out. I watched it, but boy, that's that's something I think it was me interpreting the character as if I was wishing that I had had that kind of relationship with my own real father.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, there's something. I there's something to it, especially in this episode.
Speaker 1: And I think that's that's the longing, and that's the the you know, the the emptiness, the whole inside Luke's soul that his father's gone is really the whole inside of the actor. Yeah, who never really had that closeness with his own dat.
Speaker 2: That makes sense to me because these scenes were really powerful and they all stand out and they're not over the top, they're not too little. To me, they were just like I would react that way. I think if my girlfriend boyfriend had gone and got that boat even though I said no, even though they did it for the right reasons, Like the emotion is so raw and then and you did the right thing by going right back to her, And I just thought it was very real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it felt real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the best performances are you draw from your own life and you draw from the script. Right, it's a it's a balancing act. You can't help but draw from your own life, because what else what other frame of reference do you have, Right, It's not like it's not like there's a history of the Guilford Girls that you can that you can research, right, So you kind of make it up. You make up your own psychological profile.
Speaker 2: Right, based on what your own experiences.
Speaker 1: Right, And therein lies the uniqueness which you can bring to the character. Right. So yeah, powerful, Yeah it can be. Yeah, it can be. And I think in that situation it was, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I also think one of the things I because I really, I mean, this is a ten for me. I love this episode. So I think one of the things also was we're having these very serious moments with Luke and then we get to go back to Yale to just to have pure sort of like joy. So Anna Fairchild shows up and I thought she was darling, And I love the whole I just love the whole thing happening. I love Marty and he's got the caviare, he's too, got a scarf on, and it's just like Paris is amazing. Paris is just so like talking about Anna arriving with her perky breasts and just the whole so good. And we get this levity over here because we're dealing with like some real heaviness over here.
Speaker 6: I think we needed it, like we needed it. Otherwise we both, like four of us would have shown up today being like.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, it's a good but tough episode to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like back in Star's Hollow you felt that emotion, but then at Yale you kind of felt that lightness and airiness, and I know.
Speaker 2: We're we're not quite there, but for me, I'm sure they thought of that call and Finn Logan bit and they put it in the perfect episode because it was so epic, like okay, we'll get to it. So so basically we've got her showing this an a fair job all around with the most boring Yeale speeches and you know she's she's going all over and Logan of course shows up perfectly right at the right time at the library, so we oh, Logan, you know, here he is. And Anna of course is kind of like hard eyes for him and all the boys. So I just I don't know. To me, the whole thing is just perfectly done.
Speaker 3: I love that she just wants nothing to do with them right now at the stage.
Speaker 2: Right which I think is why he's getting so into her.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 2: It's so good Okay, well, so I digress. So the other things happening is it Kirk's got his bathtub adhesives, and everyone knows about the Dark Day, but no one knows why the Dark Day exists.
Speaker 6: Before we move on from that, like that is a big thing to actually understand that this whole town knows that Luke has his Dark Day, but nobody knows until.
Speaker 5: He tells Larela. I like, Loreli is.
Speaker 6: Now the only person that holds this information. I think that just obviously shows the level they're at in their relationship.
Speaker 2: Totally. So it's like he goes and yells at that poor woman in the driveway, and this is where Lorelai really kind of steps in. But Scott, when you're watching that, what were you?
Speaker 1: I liked it. I enjoyed watching it. I I you know, I'm so you know, I'm so far removed from the character at this point. I mean, in terms of years, it's been a couple of decades, right plus plus decade to two and a half decades that I can watch it objectively almost Yeah, And I thought, yeah, I like that. I enjoyed those I thought they were funny. I thought they were funny. I thought they were. They were big, you know, big sweeping gesticulations and body movements, and it was kind of funny, funny, and.
Speaker 2: You're not mad at him because you don't feel like he's abusing her. You feel like, oh God, this guy is unhinged and having a meltdown, and everyone just wants to like help him, even missus Thompson, Like she's not mad, she's just like this poor guy, Like I got to move into a nursing home, dude.
Speaker 3: The one thing, the one thing that I found interesting though, did anyone else think, like, how did Laura I never know about his dark Day?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, how did she never know? In the entire town knows And they've been even asked Rory to look at her journal.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's because they weren't.
Speaker 4: They weren't as involved, they.
Speaker 1: Weren't as involved. And it's really kind of for boting that you're going to try to get underneath Luke's shell to that degree to even broach that topic. That's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: But everyone else in the everyone else in the town knew about it, Like they didn't know what it's.
Speaker 1: About, dark Day, but they didn't know the reason.
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Carla I didn't even know the Dark Day existed. And you would at least if she had to go to Al's Pancake World every year on November thirtieth, she would remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah that you know what you're right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that is like it wasn't it wasn't more of what it was.
Speaker 3: It was that it was a dark day, like, and I would understand if she forgot the date, like, oh yeah, I forgot today is the day, But to not know that it exists, I was like, that doesn't feel right, Like it just feels off.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, she's busy. Look, single moms are busy. You know. It's like and she's guys and she's raising her daughter, she's dealing with her parents, she's stealing.
Speaker 3: And she cares for she cares for Luke. So that's another reason why I'm like, how would she never know?
Speaker 2: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good that's a good catch. That's a good catch.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of a flaw, but the whole episode wouldn't have been as good as she knew totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very crack staffy. Beside, we have some openings, like to join ther crackstaff. Yeah, I don't know if they're coming back from Tahiti, and I think it's.
Speaker 5: I think it's sweet.
Speaker 2: First of all, she calls him hun, she calms him down, She convinces him to get a ride back to the diner. He starts to sort of tell her that about you know, the boat, and you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about when when I'll give you a ride back to the diner because the proximity of where they were thirty steps.
Speaker 2: I also think there was a great kiss my grits from Flow that was a funny pop culture which I'm sure we'll talk about. But anyway, so he talks about his dad getting sick and that this boat has been there, you know, he's been paying rent for all these years and doesn't want to deal with it. He doesn't want to deal with it. It makes him too sad.
Speaker 1: I think, I think it must have been a really horrible illness and a protracted, horrible, painful ye maybe year, maybe two years of just horrible horribles.
Speaker 2: Like cancer or something like something not good happens. Yes, so yeah, so then we we we really have like a juxtaposition, like we talked about. We go to the pub and they're getting the cappuccinos and Anna suddenly has Mark and Matthew talking to her, and I love when Rory's like bud bite, like just dealing with all that. So I just thought, Okay, this is all good. You know, this is a funny other side to what's happening in Stars follow up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yale has really developed into a whole other side of the show that's very satisfying.
Speaker 5: It finally feels like college. Does that makes sense?
Speaker 3: It does, yes, But I was thinking it feels like college because she's actually doing college y things now, yes, Like she's on the school paper and she's hanging out with anyone else but Paris, you.
Speaker 2: Know right now.
Speaker 6: But also Paris too, you know, she's not dating Asher anymore. Like she's actually like, ugh, I got to find a date now, you know, and doing the speed dating and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Characters from Paris, right, Yeah, she's not playing anything with the old people.
Speaker 2: Paris gets so fancy and goes out at eleven o'clock at night, and Anna's just loving every second of it, Like, oh my god. It's almost like we needed Anna to realize like what college should be, because it really becomes collegey in this episode. With the pub and the you know, going out late and then the speed dating, although that was random. I don't know that they would have.
Speaker 1: A meet me at the wrath Scaler the best.
Speaker 2: So Anna is falling asleep in class and it was Professor Bell, but we knew remember he was he also had a different role remember the actor yeh wasn't he? I think he was at Chilton.
Speaker 6: He was like a teacher or something like that, right.
Speaker 2: So he and he told us that he comes back and doesn't and I love that Anna's falling asleep and then all of a sudden incomes calling and Logan and you.
Speaker 4: I was just like I forgot. I was like, what is happening?
Speaker 7: I loved this so much, like, oh my god, I loved it, but I also hated how Rory reacted to it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, can you be more fun? Like everyone in this class knows that this is a joke, Like.
Speaker 3: Right off the bat, you're like, wait what And then as it when they bowed.
Speaker 5: At the end, Yeah, he straight up.
Speaker 2: Bowed like it was so funny.
Speaker 6: But once the police officer came in, You're like, oh, you know this.
Speaker 5: Is not real.
Speaker 2: You know it wasn't real. When they said give them back their balls.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, the best line, damn it, Gilmour.
Speaker 2: Theos is clapping. I literally was like that was hysterical.
Speaker 6: Hysterical and like something definitely like sorry, go ahead, no you go. I was gonna say, it's like definitely something that like fried kids do you know, they're just like you do shit all the time like that.
Speaker 2: There's the line where when Rory and Logan kind of go at it where Logan says like, this is college and I'm so glad he did that because Rory is going way too much just in the studies direction and not in the like experiencing college life, and Logan is finally getting her to do that.
Speaker 6: Like he even said, you know, like you'll have the class next week, like you know, like stop, like give yourself a break, like laugh a little, live a little, have some fun.
Speaker 2: I know people hate Logan, but for me, Logan is exactly what she needs. He's not gonna derail her. She's still gonna do well in school, like she's still gonna be like a good girl ish, but she needs some fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Even Paris is like having Ash and now Doyle. It's like Paris is like in it. She's just peculiar. It's like Rory live a little.
Speaker 1: It's you know, the detail when when the Finn character came in dressed as an English bobby, I mean with the whistle. It was so perfect. It was like it was so great.
Speaker 3: I think I think, like you said, Amy, I think she needed Anna to realize like college is fun and it can't totally and it's not all schoolwork.
Speaker 2: She's being so Rory, but Anna is seeing it with the sort of like you can eat when you want, you can have five scoops of ice cream, like by the way sidebar when they say fro yo social I died, like it was just so good. But we'll talk about that. But anyway, it's like, yeah, she almost needed to get a little kick in the pants from Anna.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to live a little.
Speaker 2: So okay, I'm loving all of it, but we'll kind of rehash it. So then we go back and we see all this junk. But I have to shout out again Melissa McCarthy looks amazing and green. But Loreli in the red vest with the turquoise under. Oh, I literally wrote down, wear a red vest with turquoise under It was so good, so Anyway, this is where we realize all the junk is there and that lare Lies got the boat. That kind of is what it is. Then we go back to the speed dating. So what did you guys think of the speed dating?
Speaker 4: Paris is just I can't She's so funny.
Speaker 6: Parris just wants to get some and she's just like down to do whatever and just have a good time.
Speaker 5: And like, just I don't know.
Speaker 6: I appreciate her role right now, Like I think she's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Her speed dating is more like an interrogation than speed dating.
Speaker 5: Then yeah, that do Wait, so were you.
Speaker 2: All stunned when Doyle comes out of the bedroom in the robe or were you like expecting it?
Speaker 5: I loved it. I loved it so much.
Speaker 4: It was all short, little bib was it her?
Speaker 2: It felt like I needed to take an iron to Paris's pajama top. It had that like line like when you just get it new out of the package, and I was like, oh, the fashion was so on point. We seed a little.
Speaker 1: The single greatest line so far, I think in this entire series came out of Doyle's mouth at the end of that scene when he's standing there in the bathrobe with Paris Andy and Rory leaves and everybody leaves, and he turns to Paris and he says, this bathrobe is amazingly comfortable. It's just so good.
Speaker 2: So then okay, So then we're in the cafeteria and she's eating the fruit libs and the ice cream and they're talking about the froyo social and Logan comes in, and this is where we kind of see. We get Logan and Rory kind of going at it, but in a in a way that you're like, I think they love each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and he really is like relaxed, and I kind of agree.
Speaker 2: It's not that she was wrong. He did embarrass her and all that, but it's like relaxed Rory.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, like Danielle said, they bowed at the end, like you knew it was a joke.
Speaker 4: It wasn't going to ruin her reputation.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm seeing in Matt. This is why I think Matt is such a good actor. I'm beginning to see now his relationship with his dad is not great. I'm seeing this now. There's this server compensation, correct, There's this slickness, there's this Devil may care, there's this just this confidence coming off this guy. But I'm now I'm seeing the vulnerability. I'm seeing him feeling it, and that I think goes back to his relationship with his dad, right, because he's because he doesn't know how to carve out his own destiny. It's like it's almost sort of preordained, it's predestined what he's you know, he's going to take over the family newspapers and that's where it is, and he probably doesn't want to do it, and you know, maybe maybe he's not that serious as student. He's obviously very bright, right, but again he's you know, he's he's a little bit lost. He's a lot of fun and he's just trying to figure it out. So now I'm seeing, I'm feeling that he's Okay, there's there's there's more of a human being there than.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. Yeah. So I do think the thing that's super significant in this episode is we really realize Marty likes Rory and started and when Anna goes missing because she's not at the Froyo social, she immediately calls him, but you remember his face from earlier when she says they're just friends, and he's so like, ah, like he's stuck.
Speaker 1: He's stuck in the friend zone. He can't get out. But he doesn't understand once you're in, you know you got You've got to make your move right away. You can't can't, you can't stay in the friend zone long. It's like, no, that's he's gonna cry made did he really win?
Speaker 3: He's tried to say something and then like she falls asleep, or like.
Speaker 1: You've got her awake to walk in, you invite her out, you make a gesture.
Speaker 2: You know, you gotta think one of the biggest Marty's probably the risk. You say.
Speaker 5: He's the nice guy. He's a nice guy.
Speaker 2: I also think the problem is the way they began with him naked, all drunk, Like they began as friend zone and it's just really hard to go out of that. And you're right, Rory is looking for a logan, somebody that's going to give her a kick in the pants, whereas Marty they're just going to eat leftovers and like study together.
Speaker 6: She's going to be so comfortable with Marty, like she's going to have a really easy, steady relationship with Marty. There's no thrill with it like that. Sure it doesn't, you know.
Speaker 1: Here's the Marty is going to be a great husband, he's going to be a great dad.
Speaker 2: He's going to be a good totally.
Speaker 1: He's the guy. He's the long term guy. That's the guy.
Speaker 4: But he's just not the guy in this moment.
Speaker 5: No, right, not in the moment, right, what a bummer.
Speaker 2: I like him so much, glad he called it out and said, Logan likes you, and you're in, You've been anointed, like you're in their group now, and like, how do you not see it? And I think Marty knows she likes him? And then Marty doesn't go in the cab. He helps her, He goes right to help her find an.
Speaker 6: Oh that was actually a really sad scene. Like he literally was like, dude, like this guy likes you.
Speaker 5: You clearly like him too. I'm out, you know, Like he like, let's have.
Speaker 1: Fun with this. Let's game theory this out. Ten years in the future, Rory and Logan are together, they're married, they have a couple of kids. He's Logan's running the newspaper empire. His father is semi retired, and Rory and Logan are going to the country club and they're worth Billy and this and that you see Logan cheating on her.
Speaker 2: Well, we know the movies. So my problem is I can't answer that. Danielle, You answer that because I know the movies.
Speaker 5: Oh, I would say yes.
Speaker 1: I kind of do too.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's fair for me to say yes, but I'm just saying yes, like if I had to pick yes or no.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're speculating, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: What you're doing. I love what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Because I see him and you know, the perfect clothes and the car with the driver and.
Speaker 2: Tarn I can't answer because we know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can't say anything.
Speaker 6: I feel like they're super magnetic right now, like very magnetic, like drawn to each other, like everything's so exciting. And then at one point that's going to stop.
Speaker 1: And then when that stops, he's going to want a new challenge. He's going to want a new challenge to make him feel whole.
Speaker 6: Or vice versa her too. She We've seen that with Dean and Jess. She's just dropped him off, like sorry, done with done with you.
Speaker 4: I will say, I kind.
Speaker 1: Of he did, like see a piece out, Oh, let's relate unit must be recycled. Dropping it off. Well, I'm just dropping off this Jess.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys agree, but I kind of thought that she deserved to be left in the cab alone.
Speaker 1: She did a little bit.
Speaker 2: Here's the problem. She doesn't. I don't think she totally gets that Logan likes her. I don't. I think that she sort of maybe gets it, but I think she also thinks they're friends, and even in this episode she calls them casual friends. I don't think she was ready to realize like how much she wants Logan and to be a part of that.
Speaker 4: But I don't think it was about Logan.
Speaker 3: The reason why I think she deserved it is because Marty's been in front of her the whole time and she's just ignored him. And that's why I think she deserved it. And he's like I felt bad for him in that moment, like he's tried. He's out here helping her with Anna, he's gonna get them a cab and then she's like she's just not meeting him halfway and so he's like, yeah, walk, And I was like, you know what, I agree with you, Marty.
Speaker 5: I would walk to justice for Marty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Literally, just she hasn't necessarily Rory hasn't necessarily mistreated, so he's all but hurt.
Speaker 4: And all but like I think that I don't know.
Speaker 3: I kind of felt for Marty in the sense of like if he got in that cab, he would just be more upset. And she's going to be talking about Logan even though she doesn't realize that he likes him in the moment, it's going to hurt Marty's feelings even more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I agreed with Marty's decision to just leave her in the cab to go.
Speaker 1: And was that Marty's first decision to try to take Rory's heart away from he's going into Logan's. Do you think he needed to have a walk and talk, he needed to have a clubhouse meeting with himself on his little walk by himself to repot his strategy to try to get Rory or try to get her interested in him.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because yeah, he takes himself out of the equation before he was really ever in the equation, Like he never really told her I like you.
Speaker 1: Till now she has to. Now she's thinking like why did he do that? Oh, he likes me, and don't you know that he likes you? You know, somebody's gonna say Marty acted weird. He just you know, said, well, he probably likes you. She doesn't understand the effect she has on people. Right on great.
Speaker 2: Point, Scott, and I don't think Rory quite gets that these boys really like her. And that's from Dean yes to Marty.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say it was like like the very beginning, when like Dean was looking at her and she's reading a book, she had no clue.
Speaker 2: She's naive when it comes to boys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she is not intelligent when it comes to to dating. No, she's got book smarts, but when it comes to relationships smart, Yeah, it's not her forte.
Speaker 1: I think Marty uh maybe declared himself by taking him out. I don't know that he was taking himself out of the race to get away from the hurt, but if maybe he's plotting a new strategy. I'll be interested to see these upcoming episodes to see if he makes a bid.
Speaker 2: I think he's not going to be around.
Speaker 4: I think he's taking himself out.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this was his last episode, but we're close to it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 6: It was a very self aware there, you know like it.
Speaker 3: Which is why I give him credit for it, like he didn't want to be more upset.
Speaker 4: So he's like, I'm just gonna stop now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess said he took himself out of the game. Yep.
Speaker 1: But so he ends wait a minute, wait a minute. The first time she sees Marty, he's drunk naked.
Speaker 2: Remember he's naked.
Speaker 1: And naked, so he so is. So he's that guy that drinks so much and he ends up naked asleep an veto.
Speaker 5: That was one time. That was right when they got to college.
Speaker 6: He has not shown that since he's going to.
Speaker 1: Have a little bit of game if he ended up partying to that degree, So where's his game?
Speaker 5: We all had that.
Speaker 1: No, No, guys.
Speaker 6: Freshman year of college, you never had a messy night like he had a mess night.
Speaker 1: I mean that was like two nights.
Speaker 2: I also think it's hard to come back from that. If that's your first meeting with a guy in college, you become really good friends. They admitted they were friends. I think it is hard to come back from that and suddenly switch that guy to like being your boyfriend, the drunk guy that you found on the floor of the.
Speaker 1: Dorm first impression to try to open Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's it's it's rough. I get why Rory never put him in that potential category because she's just like, it's the naked drunk guy Marty.
Speaker 1: Mm h.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Luke and Loreli because we've got some really important stuff and we'll kind of go through it all together. So Luke goes over because he's bringing the glasses, the famous glasses that I think she's only worn two times. But she left him at the hat at Luke's and he's like, what is all this crap in the yard and thigh masters? And then he loses his belief when he sees the boat there. He is not happy and he was mad, like I told you and you didn't listen to me. It was scary. She had tears in her eyes.
Speaker 5: That's when the popcorn came out.
Speaker 7: I was like, whoa, okay, Luke, serve it up, tell us what's up.
Speaker 2: It was a little intense. It was scary. She looked, she looks sad. She knew she'd let him down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and she tried to do a nice thing.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, this is the one dilemma I had, because she definitely let him down.
Speaker 5: But did she write you know, like.
Speaker 2: I think if it wasn't his dark day, he would have seen the gesture more clearly, because she wasn't saying you're gonna have this boat. She was saying, I took the boat in case you ever realized you want the boat. Like she was not overstepping that aggressively, and she bought the boat and figures it all out.
Speaker 1: I think, you know what I think it was. I think it was a moment of real weakness for Luke, and I think it was a moment of real vulnerability. And I think it was a moment of real insecurity where I think he was venting on her about all of the frustration that he felt for those years that he watched her date other guys and not acknowledge him. I think all that came out in that moment because of who she was, not who she is. I am as a way to perhaps because if he's not giving her the benefit of the doubt for doing an obviously very kind, very thoughtful gesture, you know, and it's like you forgive a person that you love for doing something like that, you don't pop at him. So I think he has some pent up anger.
Speaker 2: I don't to disagree with you. But in this case, I think there is something to it.
Speaker 1: I think I also think it plays into his insecurity that he doesn't he doesn't know for sure that this is going to work out, this relationship is going to work out, because he knows he's he's maybe a little too off center for her, a little quirky and a little wacky.
Speaker 2: There's something to what you're saying.
Speaker 1: There's something like the wheels are coming off in a weird way here. He's getting triggered in a way and he's being very militant about the whole thing, and I just think it's just reeking of insecurity.
Speaker 2: He's also super unhinged because he's yelling at the lady going to the nursing home. Also, I'm asking myself a question. I feel like, she said she bought the boat, but why does she buy a boat that wasn't Missus Thompson's to sell? So I might have I'm throwing a flag on that that I might have messed that up. So maybe she just paid Pa.
Speaker 4: I was thinking, like paid her out for the oh for the renter to get here. Yeah, that's what I was thinking, Scott.
Speaker 2: I think there's something to what you're saying, it's almost like on the dark day, all of Luke's stuff that he pushes down comes flying out.
Speaker 1: But for him to interpret that as her not respecting his dark day and what he's going through and what he went through with his dad, because there's no possible way she could know what he went through because he didn't tell her. He didn't give her any real detail. It just gave her the sort of you know, the cliff note version. It's just you know, it's just And why is he keeping it from her? Why won't he tell her?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: Because he doesn't like to be vulnerable.
Speaker 2: He hates being vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I just I just think that he doesn't. I think that showed he doesn't think that that relationship is going to make it maybe and he's scared, and it's scared security right right, right, She's going to find somebody better. She's going to find somebody better, and she's going to find somebody that doesn't have a dark day. You know, there's.
Speaker 2: Something to what you're saying. I can't totally figure it out, but I think you're right, Like his outburst is more than it was deserved for her getting doing something nice for him, And even if you're mad, like you would say, like, well, this was really nice of you, but I don't know what I want to do with this boat, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, worse giving her the benefit of doubt. She's being they're having a great relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, and then I what I assume happens is he goes off wherever he goes. She goes to Miss Patty's for the fortieth Show Business Anniversary and she sees him out the window and she comes out, and that was a very sweet scene. That was That scene made me go, all these two are together, mm hmm. So whatever junk he had, he obviously went took a deep breath, and even he even wasn't ready to come back to Miss Patty's, like he didn't want to go to the party, but he wanted her to know, like sorry about my junk, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's missing his dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so so good. Also just sighed out the fact that Kirk's reading Yoga for Dummies just killed me. But but my favorite scene, I have to tell you, my favorite scene of this whole episode is Richard just owning Logan with.
Speaker 4: I mean, that was the best scene.
Speaker 2: That was epic and shows me that Rory Rory likes logan. She's in, She's.
Speaker 1: In, Okay, let me okay, then go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Danielle, I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: And also that her and Richard are tight.
Speaker 5: You know, like precious, precious, you know, like they are, they are in cahoots and just you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these two are doing this dance and now she has leveled up to his level, which no girl has ever done. Yea, oh it is on.
Speaker 6: And she brought in She brought in the head Gilmore, you know, like that's not just like oh the buddy, and you.
Speaker 2: Know she studied coming in the prank with me your cards and I'll raise you to me she went. It was so good, and it's like, oh, he is so going to be into her, and the friends are going to be like respect miss Gilmour, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, oh my.
Speaker 5: God, I think they're all going to be scared of her.
Speaker 2: And Richard.
Speaker 1: Now she's got game.
Speaker 2: That's probably the best Rory Richards scene in a while. I mean, they bond, but that was epic, and you know he loved it, you know, granddaughter at his school playing a prank on his friend's son, like it is just so good, so good.
Speaker 3: Well, I was shocked that Logan actually like believe the whole thing beginning to end.
Speaker 1: Richard, but he put on quite a performance. It was a tad unbelievable, Like.
Speaker 2: Right, you're engaged now, yeah, but it's just.
Speaker 6: Like is rich with that being said, like if they're if their parents are doing parties where they find a suitor, like maybe it's not too far fett.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's uh, let's rate this. Uh bad boy?
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, can I give I don't want someone to steal mine ten butt faces because she calls him the butt face?
Speaker 1: You give him ten butt faces, all right? Tara?
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my gosh, what I'm like thinking of what items were in this?
Speaker 1: Do you think, Danielle?
Speaker 5: Okay, nine point ninety five.
Speaker 6: Robes, super comfortable robes, super comfortable robes, right, Tara, I.
Speaker 3: Will give it, but this is very random. The whistle that when he was I was wearing it.
Speaker 1: How many whistles, how many whistles?
Speaker 4: I will give it nine point eight?
Speaker 2: Oh see, every loves it.
Speaker 1: I can't want to give it. I'm going to give it ten U shocked Logan expressions as Richard.
Speaker 2: Was, I do have a couple of favorite lines that we didn't do, which she says when they say Gutenberg and she goes, Steve.
Speaker 1: Not not my favorite line?
Speaker 2: Well, oh my god, do you not like Steve?
Speaker 1: I don't like lines like that. I I don't think that stuff is funny. That's just I do. It's just such low hanging fruit. It's like, come on, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, I love every mention of froyo. Literally I couldn't get enough of froyo.
Speaker 4: And then I would just say.
Speaker 2: Richard's entire speech was just yeah, and this all right, the hands on the nose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, good, let's uh, let's wrap.
Speaker 2: It up before we go. Truly. I know you don't love when we call this out, but like truly amazing, really a good performance. That episode was you and it was it was Kina gnarly and it was really good.
Speaker 1: Thank you appreciate it all right, So that's gonna wrap it up. We will see you next time. Best fans on the planet, Thanks for downloaded. Keep those cards and letters coming, Thank you ladies. And that's going to do it. Remember I am all in all the best, Stay.
Speaker 8: Sick, hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh you Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com, s C O T. T y P dot com, scottyp dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee