Speaker 1: Al Zone, Media, isis ALM, Shinrikyu, and Christian sign this on.
Speaker 2: At first glance, these movements appear to have almost nothing in common. One is transnational but territorially weakened terror network most active into twenty and twenty tens. One was a fringe Japanese doomsday culled from the nineties, and one remains a powerful political movement embedded in the heart of the US, the world's premier imperialist power. The ideologies may be irreconcilable, their enemies may be different, and their methods even may vary from gorilla warfare to political lobbying, and yet they have more in common than meets the eye. Welcome to cat Happen Here. I'm Andrew's Sage or andrewsm on YouTube, and I'm joined today by Garrison Davis. Hello, Welcome, Welcome. So my goal is to try and understand these mounds through the lens of ideological totalism, which was a specific theoretical framework developed by Robert Jlifton to identify the outcome of a successful thought reform process, characterized by Denesturish and Tim Wolforth In on the Edge as a quote mode of absolute conviction, which embeds ideas so deeply in people's heads that they grow inoculated against doubt. Ideas cease to be provisional theories about the world and instead become secret convictions dependent on the word of how old authorities for their validation rather than evidence end quote. Lifton saw the potential for the emergence of ideological totalism within everyone, but he noted quote totalistic convictions are most likely to occur with those ideologies which are most sweeping in their content and most ambitious or messianic in their claims, whether religious, political, or scientific. The eight criteria that identified for thought reform were milieu control, which is the control of communication and information within the environment. Mystical manipulation, which is the orchestrating of spontaneous events to save the group's message. The demand for purity, which divides the world into black and white, good and evil categories. The cult of confession, which pushes members to confess past sins and personal feelings to the group. The secret science, which elevates the group's dogma to an unquestionable truth. Loading the language, which is using jargon or cliches to minimize critical thinking. Doctrine over a person, which subordinates individual experiences and identity to the group's beliefs, and finally, the dispensing of existence, declaring that only those in the group have the right to exist. Now, not all of these factors may be at play for each of these specific movements that I would have mentioned, but we still see the outcome of this ideological totalism in each of these movements, to a very an extent, the systematic erosion of individual autonomy in favor of an unassailable authority. Whether we're speaking about Isis or Armshriakio, or Christian Zionism within the evangelical movement, or in any other case, we will see how movements replace individual identity with a collective proground persona where loaded language and thought terminating cliches make dissent literally unthinkable, where the enemy other is manufactured, and where power is concentrated so tightly that the leader or the dogma becomes the only source of truth. So the foundation of ideological totalism is the destruction of nuance. To build a cohesive US and them, they must be clearly defined and definitionally polarized. First comes the categorization, where the complexity of human identity is reduced into a single non negotiable trait, be it religion or nationality or idea geology, and then comes to humanization, which is stripping the other of human qualities, transforming them from a person into a threat, impure, an infidel, and obstacle. And finally there's enclosure, which creates social or psychological walls that prevent the US from interacting with them. This ensures the only information the group receives is that of the others perceived malice. In the context of groups like Isis, the US versus Them engine is expressed both ideologically and through physical violence. By committing act of terror, the group forces the rest of the world to recognize their boundary. There's no cross contamination to be had with the infidel world, no middle ground. You're either a part of their struggle for a global caliphate or you're an enemy to be eradicated, whether you consider yourself a Muslim or anything else. With arm serikio, the cults us versus them engine operated through isolation in communes and the severan excit donal ties them was defined as the corrupted world or the spiritually dead, and the group sought purity and enlightenment, so They targeted the individual's existing social networks, family friends, mainstream society, labeling them as sources of contamination. By cutting off the member from the outside world, the culton showed that the only reality that existed was the one provided by the leader. Were the political religious Christian Zionists. The US versus Them engine is built through a historical and eschatological narrative that sees the entire secular world as enemies to the apocalyptic ambitions of Christ's return. They are frequently warned to avoid worldly influences, temptations from the devil that might skew them from the righteous path. The other in all these cases is successfully stripped of their humanity. The destruction of the them becomes a logical necessity for the survival of the US and the isolation, and shows the group's total control over an individual's interpretation of reality.
Speaker 3: Interesting how all these various cultish elements build on or use the techniques written about by like Karl Schmidt the frind enemy distinction, and how like creating groups like this, you know you have to choose like a border point, to choose the point that determines what we are and what our enemy is, and then in order to keep your group active or like safe, that border has to be moved, has to always be like like pushing. It can't actually stay at the same point. And then you see that movement with all these groups, right, they have this like milleneriness, like apocalyptic focus, but they're still like moving towards this like larger enemy population.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you see it in like I mentioned, Isis has erected this barrier that separates them even from Mostlims who may share some of their other religious convictions but do not share their political ambitions. Yeah, you see what the evangelical movement, which distinguishes themselves from other Christian sects as being heretical or not fully committed to the wood, or have gone astray in some way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you can see that with the evangelical leaders and like the president picking fights with the literal pope of the Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the beef between the Catholics and the Protestants go kind of kind of far back. You suppose at least share this scripture or this overarch in like religious roomwork, and yet there's still a desire to delineate, to separate, to define an enemy even within that cohort.
Speaker 3: And a lot of those like current differences that do relate to like military action in the Middle East and what's happening in Palestine, like specifically. And I found that to be an interesting connection as you're as you're talking about, you know, specifically like Christian Zionists and how the situation in the Middle East is extremely important for their apocalyptic worldview, and that is like one of the key differences between between like evangelical Christians and you know, the current stuff like that that the Pope is saying, which is very much opposed to what's happening in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they've constructed this very robust eschatological framework, which is the next thing that I wanted to get into. The language that these movements use helps to control their people. They're controlling people not just through physical barriers, but through psychological barriers. Yeah, if you can control the vocabulary available to a person, how a person understands the meaning of words, how they understand the meaning of their scriptures, you can control the range of thoughts that they're capable of having.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That was kind of the point that has cliched this point is the point that George Orwell's and when they had the Ministry of Truth in nineteen eighty four, that you limit even language available so that even dissent cannot be fully expressed. You don't have to censor anybody because you've already censored their minds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you see that even their own creation of like phrases and terms across all these groups, Like they come up with specific terms of phrase, they just get repeated. And that just starts like replacing language if it starts filling in the gap of language and communication. So thought terminating cliches.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly thought to any cliches, and also just a broader cognitive enclosure. So in the case of Shinriqu, you had the group using this dense pseudo scientific and pseudo religious jargon that blended spirituality, quantum physics biology, and those who are most elevated in that group were able to wield that language and make themselves sound so sophisticated and elevated and on a higher plane of truth and reality. That made it very easy for them to swindle people within their circle. It created a linguistic barrier of the entry, so that you couldn't participate even in the group's truth without committing to the incomprehensible dogma.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you don't commit to the incomprehensible dogma, then you just you don't get it. You're going to be an outside of fever. You are not enlightened, you are outside of the truth.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And this this is a problem across a lot of a lot of different groups, in concluding groups that are not this, you know, apocalyptic or fascist or like religiously based, but they even see versions of this among like the contemporary left, yeah, which creates like, yeah, this like barrier to entry by using certain like phrases like academic language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and very idiosyncratic definitions of words that have otherwise common definitions yeah.
Speaker 3: No. And and how much politics is like this subcultural purpose of like maintaining a certain like subgroup like a social circle, versus actually building like mass politics, And how leadiosyncratic small like purity of groups with their special language and these like barriers to entry makes it very hard to do larger political organizing that actually goes towards like a working class movement.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Liftin points out that there is a tendency for ideological totalism in a lot of movements as as I had have mentioned, so something we have to be on God for if we want to avoid falling into these traps. And so we look at the example of Amiki in this case, but Isis also has a kind of a total elimination of nuance through polarized, emotionally charged vocabulary. And you have the believer, and you have the infidel, which again includes fellow Muslims, you have the peol, and you have the corrupt. Every dynamic, every binary is zero sum. You know, you either with de califate or you're an enemy of God to be wiped out. And within the eschatological framework of Christian Zionism, opposing the apocalyptic informed geopolitical ambitions is tantamount opposing God's plan. You know, it's like, how dare you They use these thought terminating cliches as you would have mentioned, things like it is written, it's in revelation. You know, it's God's will, and there's no way to actually challenge their policies or actions in their minds on whether it be humanitarian, legal, or logical grounds, because it's like you speaking Greek, I mean, doing something like that is like arguing with God. It's like attacking their faith, and so we also see these movements stripping individuals of the agency for the sake of a transaction, the exchange of these self with all its very real vulnerabilities and mortality and earth limitations, for a higher purpose that is eat you know, and absolute. In the case of Amgenrikiu, the destruction of the self was achieved through the redefinition of morality that used a distorted interpretation of Vadaryana Buddhism and placed the Master's will above all conventional ethics. To follow the Master and achieve spiritual evolution, one had to abandon the ego with its moral compass and its human attachments, and in its place armation. IQ offered the merit of absolute obedience. By following their leader's commands, even those of mass violence that would expose the wider will to their threat. The practitioner believed that they were performing a ritual act of spiritual cleansing to become an instrument of a higher cosmic order. You see the same thing with the rise of isis the destruction of the self achieved through the total absorption of the individual into the monolith. The individuals stripped to their specific context whatever nationality or background they may have had, and being reduced to a singular, functional component of the struggle being given up purpose that was compensated with the promise of eternal significance, the promise of martyrdom, of fighting and dying for the caliphate, and with that the individual could bypass the mundane struggles of earthly life to secure a police in a permanent, divine reality. And the political theological sphere of Christian Zionism, the destruction of the self has more to do with relinquishing the selfs agency and become an instrumentalized for the sake of God's plan by Freeman Israel's ascendants in the Middle East as an essential precursor to the Second Coming of Christ, and when everything in their power to lobby for and support it, the movement disregards the genocidal costs for the reward being the fulfillment of a divine apocalyptic timeline. And so in all three cases, the follower is convinced that the destruction of this world as they know it, and the destruction of the self within it is not a tragedy, but actually a kind of liberation. But all three of these movements of tragedies for the rest of the world. Armisian Rekio deployed chemical weapons in Tokyo subway system. They killed thirteen people and injured over fifty eight hundred others, instill in a long term anxiety for those who live in the city that their shared space could be the site of potential terror and the person sitting next to you could be the vessel for a hidden lethal ideology. Isis has forcibly displaced millions, killed tens of thousands, and destroyed ancient heritage sites, all in an effort to erase the other, and the Middle East and Africa in particular continued to be scarred by its violence. Christian Zionist ideology has introduced a variable to the political equation that is immune to reason and negotiation, that cannot question its theological justifications. Of course, Zionism is not entirely dependent on Christian Zionis support. You know, Jewish colonial settlements would have predated British support, American support, and Christian Zionis support. But the political cosign that Christian Zionis provide within the premier superpower does aid in the continued support for the Palestinian genocide. So ideological totalism seeks to eliminate pluralism, to eliminate shared truth, and to literally kill. But we should not view the rise of totalizing ideologies as some freak, isolated phenomenon, because it deprives its strength from the very framework and conditioning embedded in our existent social structures. The mechanisms of miliu control, loading the language, and other techniques used by cultic tendencies exist in subtle forms within our mainstream institutions. We see the seeds of thought or form in the echo chambers of media ecosystems. We see the loading of language in the polarized rhetoric of politics. We see the demand for purity in the most aggressive forms of cultural and religious tribalism. The extremist can sometimes be the most honest, uninhibited expression, the natural endpoint of our world's authoritarian tendencies and subtle lifelong conditioning. At home, in the classroom, at work in civic life, we are trained in the soft versions of the very deference that totalize and leaders eventually demand. We are conditioned to respect authority without question, to prioritize the greater good of the institution over individual agency, and to accept official narratives as the only valid reality. So when a leader arrives who promises to replace the complex messyan certainty of our political and social reality with the clarity of absolute truth, the most conditioned minds naturally find the offer at a seductive and so this disease caught through social conditioning must be treated by a fundamental reclamation of the individual's capacity for critical thought and autonomy. We have to move beyond the mere consumption of information to the active interrogation of it. This means cultivating the ability to recognize the traps of thought reform, the logical fallacies, the loading of the language, to recognize when an ideology is attempting to bypass our reason in favor of or emotions. The primary defense against thought reform is the refusal so that any authority, religious, political, or otherwise becomes secret and beyond the question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that point that you made towards the end there, But like this thing just being the most visible consequence of the contradictions of our current social system is like really important. Is because yeah, I mean, we're all sorting through the same sorts of causes that produced groups like this, or produce the people that move into groups like this, and we might sort these out in different ways, but in the way that they do it, it's not fully alien. It's just it's just a very visible outward manifestation of the same sorts of internal contradictions, and like fascism feeds on these same things. You can see how much fascism like overlaps with a lot of stuff that.
Speaker 4: You're talking about here, yep.
Speaker 3: And it seemed kind of like suicidal tendencies, this destruction of the self, right, that is, that is dealing with those with those same sorts of like social tensions and internal contradictions that produce like outbursts of antisocial behavior like this or in some cases like genocidal behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think it's very much resultant. Oh, there's the structure of our old system. You know, the stresses, the anxiety, is the pains and pressure points, and you know, we are all different as individuals, and I think that some people respond to these conditions in ways that are very much either self destructive externally destructive for both.
Speaker 3: I think a part of our task in like a general sense, is providing some alternative to this. Right you can like look at the way the really like on like a global level, like the left has really receded a lot in the past fifty sixty seventy years, and that that leaves a lot of you know, people who are who are trying to look for this for this sort of purpose, Right, They're trying to understand the contradictions of the world, and there may not be a humanistic option for that, so it gets directed into much more destructive ways. Sometimes you can see like what happened in Rajava with like democratic con federalism as like, right, they they actually did that, right, They they saw what was needed and they did it. And it's directly opposing the sort of alternative version which is which is isis which is like super interesting, Right, but I think we have we have the same problem here, but we don't really have a strong and strong like alternative to that, right, like a healthy, a healthy and growing like working class movement, which it attempts to actually solve the sort of sort of problems that are in the world that these sorts of other things like feed on. Right, they grab onto these onto these very very present problems and apply an emotionally soothing response to it, even if it is self destructive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the work of building an alternative and demonstrating it and showing people live in it, I think is very very important.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think that when you consider the fact that the whole mark of totalizing systems is the elimination of the other and the criminalization of descent our antidotes, our alternative has to embrace. It has to be committed to the adversity of thought and expression. And I also think that it has to be willing to sit with conflict, to sit with tensions. Yeah, two, allow them to in ate with each other without trying to just override it with some false unity.
Speaker 3: Those tensions in conflict are like important and that is that is how we will develop our thought and develop our movement forward.
Speaker 4: You have to you have to have those tensions. You have to have.
Speaker 3: That that conflict and disagreement which will hopefully produce more positive outcomes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hopefully. It's it's generative conflict and exbstructive conflict.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, and some conflicts can be generative if we accept that they can't be resolved.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think part of what makes some conflicts destructive is this effort to kind of uh just paint over them with some kumbaya sense of oh well, just well, you just unify like that's not consequential, or we'll figure it out, or that's just how it is. And I think we, Yeah, we have to be willing to be uncomfortable with not having the answers and maybe never having the answers. In some cases. There are those who I think will have the capacity to engage into deradicalization of ideological totalists. I don't think I'm among them, and I think that there are others that we can gear outreach towards. Yes, I get irritated sometimes when I see people who believe that the focus of our attention right now, as people trying to build an alternative, trying to build a better tomorrow, that our focus should be on trying to deradicalize right wingers. Yeah, the vast majority of people are politically unaffiliated, politically uncommitted, apathetic, disengaged, and I think that we can do far more if we were to focus on reaching those people and helping those people see the problems with this system and the solutions that we have on offer than engaging in fruit that's to beat with right wing hounzol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's actually the most effective form of deradicalization, exactly, exactly. There is a lot of problems with the sort of like deradicalization framework that emerge in like twenty eighteen to kind of meet the rise of like the alt right. A lot of it doesn't work, a lot of it can be fruitless, but there is like a noble intention behind it, and I think the best way to actually do that is by just providing a healthy alternative that does appeal to most people.
Speaker 4: It doesn't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't need to be catered towards someone who's on like the right or like the far right, because in a lot of cases, those people are suffering from the same sorts of problems that the rest of people are. They've just found of a false solution for it, and so if you're able to provide a better solution, a lot of them will move over. There's really very few that are like through and tried, like ideologically committed, right, There's some, and they're maybe very vocal on the Internet, but that's that's not actually like most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also the let is at least half boughts at this point, so yeah, you know, you take some of those Internet discussions with a grain of salt in terms of being representative of any population significantly. But I did have some tips with regard to outreach for those who may have a special interest in it or maybe have a loved one that they really want to help where they see being immersed in an ideologically totalistic environment. For one, directly attacking a person's core beliefs are going to trigger something called the backfire effect, which is where contradictory evidence actually strengthens their conviction because their identity is not fused to the ideology, so an attack on the idea is perceived as a mortal attack on this self. Debating them is not going to help. It's better to think of yourself more as a connecting force rather than a correcting.
Speaker 4: Your a lifeline, Yeah, to.
Speaker 2: Gently guide them out of their radical mindset rather than trying to instruct them out of it. To be rate them out of it. And when you notice that their experience and doubt in their ideas, it can be very exciting to try and Russian and show them the way, but you don't want to overwhelm them. Doubt, especially for people immersed in that mindset, might literally collapse their entire social and cognitive world. So your focus, I think, needs to be unprovided a safe harbor where their doubts can be expressed freely, without judgment or any pressure to immediately betray all that they've ever known. You also need to consider the conditions that led the person into that situation in the first place. If you know what they were like and what their situation was like prior to indoctrination, whether they had certain relationship issues, financial issues, systemic abuses. Try isolation, some kind of unine for meaning or purpose that can help you contextualize the situation. And while you can always fundamentally disagree with their conclusions, it's good to recognize the needs that drove them to those conclusions. But in addition to that, you can try to find out what their passions and hobbies will or are outside of that doctrine, so they have some kind of psychological landing pad if they were to escape the environment, so they're not without a sense of self, so they're not floundering for some form of identity. These movements and this tendency for ideological totalism derived from hierarchy, will not be overcome in one fell swoop. It is a continuous daily struggle within the human mind and the social fabric. It's a struggle to remain unconditioned by the temptations of certainty to the messy, the diverse, the complex, to create a social foundation of individuals who are capable of saying nope, and that's.
Speaker 4: It for me.
Speaker 2: All power to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 4: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here listened directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.