Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh Let's kiss you. I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody Scott Patterson I Am all In Podcast, one of them productions iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcasts. Part two of our Walmart Journey a Walmart commercial shoot journey here entitled The Broken Door.
Speaker 2: iHeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: App joined by my own Traffic Cruises and lead us off. How did you find out about the commercial? So?
Speaker 3: I heard about the commercial when it was kind of in the planning stages, and it was it was scheduled, so like it was a secret, but it was still happening, and so you know, I obviously kept my mouth shut, so I knew kind of what was going on. And I just was so excited for all the fans because everybody is.
Speaker 2: So starved for new Gilmore.
Speaker 3: Stuff and so the fact that this was like coming together was amazing. But I heard an interesting story about that shooting day that you almost didn't make it to the set because there was an issue with the door in the trailer.
Speaker 1: No, no, I almost didn't make it out of the trailer after wrap to go home?
Speaker 2: Got it Okay?
Speaker 1: Because I went into my swanky, massive bedroom inside the trailer by the way, and I changed into my street clothes, and I got out of the Luke suit and I became a mild manner porter Clark Kent again and that's actually hilarious, and and I, uh, I'd close the door behind me, and and then when I came out, because they were filming, because they wanted to do the the TikTok thing where I go in and then appears in the Luke suit and then I go in the looks and here in my street clothes again. And it was not my idea. This was Elaine's idea to do that. And the door was jammed, it wouldn't open.
Speaker 2: I would have at.
Speaker 1: There was a small window. I didn't feel like I was in any danger. I was with my my my team and uh, Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Wait, no, you're stuck.
Speaker 1: I'm stuck for how long? It wasn't that long, you know, And we tried to pull it and pull it and pull it and yeah, yeah, So I think Elaine h opened the trailer door and led to the outside and said, hey, can you get a couple of people in here to help deal this door? And they just you know. It was about five minutes and I was just sort of sitting in there reading a book, you know, and I.
Speaker 2: Would have been panicking.
Speaker 1: Caught off on some reading, and they came in and they dealt with it and opened the door.
Speaker 4: They first when I heard the door story, I thought it would maybe have something to do with the door at the diner.
Speaker 2: No, so this is not as good of a door story as I was hoping it would be.
Speaker 1: Actually, pretty door at the Diner was a problem during shooting really of the commercial, yes, because it stuck or it would close properly, and it kept opening up during the takes like swing open, yes. So it was almost like it was almost like the spirit of the Gilmore Girl and was telling us, please open this door and keep it open. We want more episode.
Speaker 2: Seriously, did you flub your lines or have any good bloopers?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't think so a little bit of.
Speaker 2: A trickier line, not the Kirk part, but the other part.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think anybody flubbed their lines.
Speaker 2: I wish we could see these other versions.
Speaker 1: Why don't they just really just start like dropping them like throughout the hall.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll hear this and do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Wait, since we have you back again, Yes, is there anything we missed it? Forgot to ask you about when we revealed the commercial. There anything you've thought of since then?
Speaker 1: Well, you know the final shot, you know, of me walking out there in the snow, and then you know, Lauren did a little thing.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's cute.
Speaker 1: She did a little shoulder. Yeah, you know with me, it's really smiled.
Speaker 4: And that was Do you ever think of like hugging or kissing? They didn't, They didn't let you do that. I thought, oh, maybe.
Speaker 1: I suggest I suggested when she came in, what about I lean over and give her a peck on the cheek. We've been married so long. Uh, And they said they're like, no, we don't need that. We get it. You know, everybody less us more kind of do Yeah. Yeah, And I think they wanted to have the best of both worlds because the fans know we're married and we're happily ever after. But they wanted to harken back to the days where Luke and Laurel. I were just sort of like, maybe harken back to the beginning of the series, you know, so so live in best of both worlds. So it was actually a smarter choice that the director advised we we do so. Yeah, yeah, very collaborative, very good. Yeah. So that big shot with a big crane shot with the camera on the going up and we had to follow it up there in the snow falling on us. It was like big budget movie action. Man. It was like this is how they do it, and it was just cool. And we did that on Gilmore too. We did a lot of crane shots with snow and this kind of stuff. But it was just it was so magical because it was daytime. We were dressed in our winter clothes.
Speaker 2: It really it looks wintery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did job. Yeah, they did a great job.
Speaker 2: It's like it was it not a sunny day because somehow.
Speaker 1: It looks like overcast. It was a bit.
Speaker 2: I was sort of lucky.
Speaker 1: That helps it out. I agree. Yeah, that final shot was a little winterry. I felt like I was in Colorado a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wanted to strap on the skis and say, see, I gotta go really good. I got to go crush some music with it, just like at it, like I don't know what it would have been like without the music.
Speaker 2: It just got you and your fields.
Speaker 1: The music is so powerful. Yeah, just put you right back in it, right to Yep. Then became a real job because I have to ask uh uh some of the PA's like do you have boxes and some bags? I want to take all the storm?
Speaker 2: My gosht so love the car.
Speaker 1: Everybody that was still there, Like Elaine got a box full of snacks. There was so many snacksations are just like a man. So Elaine got a bag of sacks and her daughter got a bag of snacks, and you know, there was tons of water and juices. And you know what they did. They went to airwon and just cleaned the place out.
Speaker 2: For a first of all, that is fancy.
Speaker 4: Wait, so then when you got you know what I didn't ask you when we talked about this the other day.
Speaker 2: When you got home and saw the family, what did you another happy dance was done?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What did you say when you got home?
Speaker 1: Let me see. I got home. Well, let's see, my wife was making dinner, my son was doing his homework. I came in and they turned around and said, Daddy, how was the shoot? My son came and hugged me and he wanted to know all about it. I showed him some video and some some photos that I had taken. We sat down and had a nice meal and just about a school day. Yeah, it was just like but it was like elevated, you know. Yeah, yeah, yeah it was. It was a cool thing. And he's old enough now to realize that this is you know how big this is? Yeah, you know, and uh, you know, my wife was very proud of me. She wanted to She made a special dinner and a special dessert. You know so much.
Speaker 4: We also didn't ask you this, did you.
Speaker 2: Like, do you feel like there's more Luke in you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Can could you play him again? Immediately?
Speaker 1: You know what? I I thought I was maybe at the end of the trail with him, but this sparked a brand new desire to revisit it. Yeah. So I will be hitting the road and I will be starting a movement once again. Yes, LA.
Speaker 4: Campaigning commercial definitely makes me go. The commercial definitely makes you like, oh wow, I need.
Speaker 2: More of these people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I don't know what kind and what shape or form this will come, but my gosh, you know, what a what a wonderful gift that this has been. The twenty four years ago, I landed a a one. I landed a pilot episode of a of a show and it's turned into this after twenty four years, and it's just such a gift. I just can't even believe this is all happening. And you know, I got on that set and they treated everybody so well, and I just I kept asking a laying what the heck's going on? She goes, don't you understand? Don't you get it yet, you hard headed CEO, boss of mine? What's wrong with you? Said? You know? This is this is a big deal, Scott, Yeah, I guess it is. I guess it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is the show is way bigger now twenty four years later than it was when it.
Speaker 2: Aired the first time?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And that is not normal, isn't It?
Speaker 1: Just so such a pleasure to serve the fans in this way and to keep this going and to keep that fire burning and to give them as much content as we can. And it's I mean, if we hadn't done it, somebody else would it? Right, It was needed, there was a void to fill.
Speaker 2: There was a really smart Phil Walmart knew is really smart.
Speaker 4: They knew what they were doing because this is the perfect show for the holidays.
Speaker 3: I mean, what better way to sell a coffee maker right right?
Speaker 2: Or a jacket because I'm buying that. I'm buy that jacket. I need that jacket. Luke approved coffee.
Speaker 4: Well, Scott, I'm sure we'll stay tuned because we'll have more more stories and behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: But oh wonderful. It was a beautiful drive home on pch looking out at the ocean. Yeah, it was just it was actually the vision that I had at the beginning of my career how I was going to end up. You know, the vision that I was working toward was leaving Warner Brothers in a nice car and driving out to the ocean home. That was a vision I used to work with. That's the vision that I that I naturally did when it was regarding my career. It was another there was another vision too, but that's the one that that actually came true. The other one hasn't come true yet, but it will, well it will, yeah, all right, So that's that's it, folks. Walmart Commercial Deconstruction Part two.
Speaker 4: And it's very funny that because you got trapped at the end of the day, right, didn't matter to me because I'm like, oh, you've already shot everything.
Speaker 1: We're good. Perhaps it was my plaintive, subconscious whale coming from within me that I did not want to leave, that I didn't want to end the day anyway, it was. It was maybe the best professional experience I've ever had in a single day, other than doing Gilmore Girls itself. But what a joy. And thanks for sharing this with me, everybody. It was quite a day. And you'll be at the next one, if there's the next one, Okay, apologize you. Oh yeah, anyway, best fans on the planet. We will see you on December eighteenth at Warner Brothers. Really really excited. Big surprises coming for that as well. Beyond what we've already announced and where you lead, guess what we will follow. Stay safe everyone, dot Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.