Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Thank you everyone for joining us today. We're talking about aging with joy author doctor Carrie Burnit is here because apparently everything we've been told about aging is wrong. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Help? Do we need help? Yes? Oh, we need help, all of us. We all need help, and we're all going to get to the bottom of it today. Okay.
Speaker 1: I love this. Well, welcome to our new studio. We're you know, smoothing out some kinks. Thank you for very beautiful.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad to be here. I'm so glad you came.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you came. Your book joy Span, The Art and Science of Thriving, in Life's Second Act, introduces these concepts lifespan, health span, and joy span. So I think we all kind of know what lifespane is. That's the length of our life, how many years we're here. Health Span is about how healthy we are, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the nineteen eighties we added health span, so that is, you know, the number of years we enjoy relatively good physical and cognitive health. So we want, you know, to maximize our health span. Yes, great, great direction. Yes, And now joy Span, the problem was I was having a lot of people I worked with who lived a long time. They were quite old, they were in darn good physical and cognitive health, lucky them, but they were miserable. Oh so a long life that you don't like living is not the goal. So we realized that the conversation on quality of our lives has been absent or nearly absent, and so in line with what you have been teaching and living and writing about about the fact that we play a role in what our long lives look like. Isn't rock and science, and yet it's really changing lives?
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. I mean, I can just see how this would help my mom, even who's you know, in her mid eighties. And I see what you mean, like I see the different spans for sure, And I noticed that joy span is lacking.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and we think about what is joy? You know, we use it a lot, but the question is is it happy? Happy, smiley all the time?
Speaker 1: I hope not.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, this grows. That's toxic positivity. Yes. So joy, as defined by the American Psychological Association is well being, life satisfaction, connection, and those things aren't too big of a goal to have in later years, and so the thought that some people are simply lucky, like you know, you see an older person who is you know, has a twinkle in her eye at age ninety five, and you think, oh, lucky, must be nice. Good genes, Yes, yes, yes, but we found that genes is less than twenty five percent in predicting how we're going to age.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this.
Speaker 2: I'm so it's turning it to us to think, oh gosh, what is that other seventy five percent? And what should I at what age should I start doing this kind of stuff to create the long life that I would actually like to lively like to live.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you talk about all those things, that concept of emotional and emotional well being and personal wellbeing like being so important. Yes, as we get older, and I think that's I'm wondering. What was the moment you knew you had to write this book?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I love that question, author to author. So it is true, you get so you like this is it is in me? And it started actually with suffering. A book about joy started because of suffering, And that is I taught for almost twenty years in geriatric medicine at a university UCI in Irvine and All of my work was in elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation. So it was suffering day after day after day. And it wasn't it's an all socioeconomic status. It's in all kinds of it's like within families, it's within strangers. It was I was just thinking, Oh my gosh, the world is so dark, and here I'm crying every day on my way home to go pay got my kids at preschool, and then to get and it's really important work and billions are lost to this exploitation. And I probably would have done it forever because it was needed and important work. But the thing is, it was like imagine a skateboard ramp. So my colleagues and I were down at the bottom of the skateboard ramp after people would eat it on their skateboard of life, and they were awful, horrible situations, and we would try as best we could to put band aids on those situations. But what we were learning from the literature is that we actually have the information that we need to get up to the top of the skateboard ramp and equip people so that they don't take these horrible tumbles. In terms of ending up alone or ending up because of increased vulnerability, taken advantage of by people you know or people you don't know. And so sort of at that moment, which happened to be on an airplane, that I thought, you know, what if I could learn about the positive side of all of this, so that maybe we could fortify people ourselves so that we can end up not in the suffering world that I lived in.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. It's like it's like the preemptive. It's a you know, being proactive. Yes, it is before you wipe out on that skateboard. Yes, you can do things, yes, to improve your joy span.
Speaker 2: And growing older is hard. So it's the reason that it's more important is because like, that's the one thing I can guarantee, is that every life will have really hard things. We have in our fifties already, and it continues more so in terms of like using loved ones. It keeps going, yes, sadly, yes, yes. And you know, my greatest gift I've been given is that I've had this front row seat to the aging journeys of thousands of people. So I've gotten to just keep watching and learning from people who are ahead of us. And you do you see gosh diagnoses that you never expected losing partners and best friends, even children and grandchildren. Life is a lot. So what I don't in any way promise is that you won't have hard stuff. In fact, not to be downer girl, but I kind of guarantee that you will have hard stuff. That we all will.
Speaker 1: That's realistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And at the same time, I do know that joy anyway is possible when we think about joy as well being, and so an analogy that we're also talking about our bodies, which is good and fine, and we know physical strength. Are we lifting weights? Are we doing some cardiovascular things? Are we doing some balance training? Are we doing some flexibility? We know it, we do it, we don't do it, you know. But the same is true with internal strength. There are factors that contribute to enabling us to build our interior strength for the journey. And the great news is what helps you between the ages of twenty three and twenty four are also the things that help between ninety three and ninety four. So it's never too early to get started on your joy span. But it's also never too late.
Speaker 1: That is very promising. What do you mean, It's the same as twenties and then later in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the way that the research groups, it groups into different practices that we can be doing. And when I first got into the literature, there are tens of thousands of studies on psychological well being and longevity, and I felt so overwhelmed. It was like, oh, no, how can I do ten thousand things? There's generosity, there's a resilience, there's I'm host it's exhausting, exhausting, and so happily after spending a lot of time there. They do group into four areas and these are really practical. They are really proven approaches that if we in the same way that we think am I doing some strength training? In the same way we can think am I doing some of these four areas? And they're all verbs because they all take work. So each of them that we're going to talk about today, it's like, you know, you don't see a really fit person and just go, oh, you're just pure lucky. No, they've been doing little things every day to get there. Same thing with our internal strength for the journey. We're going to know what they are after this, and we're going to put in a little bit of time every day into these areas that are going to fortify us for this journey.
Speaker 1: You're talking about internal fitness being just as important as physical fitness.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Love that that makes it so easy to understand. Yes, and that's just taking care of our emotional wellbeing, Yes, our thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Okay. It's so powerful and it's at work that you and so many people are already doing. And so that's good news. I think for your listeners to think, oh, good, I'm doing that. So you know what I'm saying, I hope is not all new because we've been doing these things, but maybe it's a little bit of a vocabulary to think, am I doing all the things?
Speaker 1: I can't wait to jump into the things?
Speaker 2: Yes, the thing.
Speaker 1: But first I want to ask you about a lot of women my age talk about isolation. You know, when life is changing, the kids are out of the house, maybe they've lost a spouse or how to divorce, and the feeling of being needed has gone away. And that's you know, when when you're needed, it gives you a certain like zest for life, like you've got to keep keep this person healthy, You've got to take care of this person and provide for that person. But what I talk about in my book, and what everyone is really really the conversation is really starting to trickle everywhere is the importance of choosing oneself through all of it. And when I talk about that, when I first did that actually ill a little bit like am I being too self centered? Is this? Should I feel guilty about this feeling? And I don't think that that has happened for me, you know. I think that I've grown into knowing and understanding the importance of choosing yourself. And that is all that you talk about in this book. So so aligned, you have.
Speaker 2: So aligned, so aligned, so meant to be that we had this time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think one of the best ways to stay young at heart in mind is to have community, you know, and have connection and have those opportunities. We just opened and I choose me hotline, so our listeners are going to be able to call in ask questions. And I'm so excited because I think we have a caller today that is going to be right up your alley.
Speaker 2: I would love to do that. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Let's listen to her question business Menda. I was calling with a question as I think about my next face of life about lifelong learning and what kind of options do you think are out there. Is it just a matter of signing up to college classes and maybe going to school with a bunch of kids who are fractioned my age, or are there programs that are designed especially for somebody who's trying to figure out maybe a second career or just wanting to find places to learn more about things that are interesting. So any tips on that would be really very helpful. Thank you.
Speaker 1: See Okay, what tips you have for Linda?
Speaker 2: What a great question, So thank you, Linda. It is a great time to be growing older because every single day in the United States, twelve thousand more of us are celebrating our sixty fifth birthday, so it's like thousand more, so every single day, more and more older people. And because of that, we are coming up with solutions about lifelong development, which is so critical. And it's so good Linda that you are recognizing that it is continued growth and continued learning, and so many universities now have programs geared at leaders in the second half of their lives, so that your classmates are people fifty and better, people who have enjoyed different paths and now are maybe wanting to either lean into that path in a different way or something completely different. So it is one of those that when you make the decision that you want to keep learning and growing, I would start out on the computer and your mind will be blown of all of that is out there. But sometimes we've been and understandably a little afraid to put ourselves out there. Is the old system had been just well, education is younger people, and I'm going to join a class and They're all going to be twenty one and I'm going to be sixty one. Yes, it is. It wants to be right, and so there are there solutions in person at universities, online at universities, and then through a lot of quite innovative organizations, some that are intergenerational which are pretty fun. And basically when you think how to get started, it really just starts with curiosity, like asking yourself what am I a little bit curious about? And a lot of times you go I don't know nothing, and then you go, okay, Carrie, what no, really, what did you always want to do?
Speaker 1: Exactly accomplished or even try.
Speaker 2: And there's things that like you can try it and you don't you have to be with it forever. But I have friends recently in their seventies, eighties, nineties and one hundreds, improv and bitcoin and programming and gardening and every possible thing that you can think of. There are things out there online and in person, and the benefit is not only good for your brain, not only good to lean into something that's a little uncomfortable, which is huge, but also you're going to find other people who are a little bit curious about that as well. And then it's social connection. So it's a great question that Linda asked, and it is something that we will be pleasantly surprised by what is there, even in small towns. So I have a patient who is living in quite a small town, and she was wanting to make sure that she is continuing to grow and lean into her eighty year old curious self. And what she found was that she was the one to kind of put it out there in her church group. I am interested actually in interior decorated I haven't ever put any time into it because I've been so busy, but she found she then started a group of other humans interested in that same kind of thing. And what they're doing, I mean, is absolutely mind blowing. I've oh, you sat on this hidden talent for eighty years.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, imagine what if when I'm eighty I start to play the piano. That would be a dream all my life I've said.
Speaker 2: I want to learn how to play the I would not be surprised. And you're likely to have twenty years to do it, because more and more of us are living to age one hundred. Really, and so when you kind of program it like that, like twenty years, I think I could get pretty okay at it. And this beginner like being a beginner and something is one of the very best things you can do for your brain, not for your ego, but for your brain. Being a little bit bad at things is terrific.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you have nowhere to go but up. Exactly you said, we're living to one hundred. I just need to go back to that for a second, because I've heard, you know, even my husband, even he says I don't want to live to be one hundred. Yes, And I think that he has the connotation in his mind that living to be a hundred is painful and full of suffering, and why would he want that?
Speaker 2: Yes, I hear it a lot, a lot my own husband too. The thing about how long we live. None of us know it, like today could easily be our last day, or it could be one hundred. And I have a patient now who's one hundred and fourteen. What I know?
Speaker 1: Wait what you flew my mind?
Speaker 2: I know after age one hundred, she had fourteen more years. I mean continuing, how is she? She is really really lovely. She is an absolutely lovely woman and she I was with her three days ago. She had her hair pulled back with a beautiful like red flower in it, and she's really had gotten into scrapbooking and was showing me staggeringly cool pictures that she's gathered over the years. And she's great.
Speaker 3: She is.
Speaker 2: You know, are there challenges? Yes, her vision is a challenge, hearing is a challenge. A lot of things hurt. And also she is a role model of what we can look forward to. Because we're creating this new longevity, we don't have role models, and so we have to sort of become the role models. And I think that's really the first step is recognizing that what we have been consuming since the minute we were born is a narrative that aging is all decline, and it's a really lucrative messaging. So the anti aging community makes billions of dollars.
Speaker 1: And doesn't the society seem to be just like I would think that living longer or having purpose later in life is a hard cell because everyone is just obsessed with youth.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, and that's what so lucky is that enough of us, it's going to be a critical mass of us saying wait a second, I am saying that this decline aging mindset, which spells out damn, which is so great, the damn mindset, that damn mind, that damn mindset that is that like we each have, like I'm convinced that we all carry what I call internalized agism. And of course it makes sense because of all the messaging and since we were little. In fact, you think about witches like when you were little, there said Hanseling. Gretel went out and then the old woman was going to eat them, right like we start real super young, saying it's all downhill. And that's part of my mission is letting people know that in addition to things that do decline, there are things that get better as you get older, but they've got no airtime because they're not lucrative. And they are things that you've pointed out in your book, like not caring as much what other people think of us really so liberating.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And then one that is so great that sometimes people don't realize is that we have the potential for greater problem solving. And the reason for this is one the neurological integration of our left and right hemisphere in our brain, in our brain, coupled with how many problems that we have solved in our life or watched other people solve. And so the example that I love to give is a story, and is this friend of mine who has passed away, Gene Cohen, but he taught at Harvard and every Wednesday he would go and pick his pain parents up at the train station and then he would put they would get in his car, drive to his place, they'd eat dinner together, and he would drive them home. So it's one day, just dumping snow. His ninety year old parents get up on the platform and they have walkers, they didn't have cell phones, and they're just waiting for their dumb Harvard son to come pick them up, and he was late, so they're just standing there out there, they with the problem solving look over and they see a pizza place, So they carefully walk to the pizza place and they say, you know, we'd like to order a couple of pizzas to be delivered to our son's house. And when you deliver those pizzas, we'd like to ride along in the car with them. So he gets home, his parents in their nineties are there safely at his place with dinner. And that's the kind of problem solving. It's not technology based. It is the fact that we've been on this earth. And if you recognize, like I have good problem solving skills and I'm gonna they're even gonna get better, We're going to lean into that. And a society that leans into what gets better as you get older is going to be a society that can overcome all of these challenges that we have right now. So we need what older you has to offer.
Speaker 1: Yes, I fully agree, like I feel, you know, wiser as I've gotten older. I've learned so many things, you know, and I know everybody feels that way. And it's such a beautiful feeling when you can actually accept that about yourself, because I think so often we say, oh, you know, I'm just me, and I don't I don't have any wisdom to share, but that's not true exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know other things that can get better is our humility, and a lot can get done when people aren't so you know, thinking that it's all about them, Also our humor, also our spirituality, our appreciation of music and art and nature, also our ability to recognize who our people are. You know how sweet these connections can be. So by leaning into those things that get better when you get older is what helps you let go of the inaccurate, lucrative narrative that it's all downhill.
Speaker 1: There is so much more to learn about doctor Burnight's book, joy Span. Our conversation will continue later this week, so please join us