Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this Year in Review in Review?
Speaker 2: Holy ship got charity? Wow jesus.
Speaker 1: Uh, my name is Jack O'Brien. That over there is mister Miles. Yeah, I have so much energy too it bom my god, taine. We have never done this before.
Speaker 3: We're doing cocaine before the show. And it turns out no, I listened. I went back and listened to last year's Year in Review and review. Man I was hired. Uh.
Speaker 1: I think it was the very last thing we recorded. Yeah, it was a lot. Uh and Miles. We were thrilled to be joined by super producers on a hosey a and Becca Rama. Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, heller.
Speaker 2: Aller.
Speaker 1: What a year? Huh, folks, what a year?
Speaker 4: What a year in review? This was actually fun.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed some of these years in review, some of what we found just looking back at the at the media from.
Speaker 4: You know, trying to wrap up twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Uh but yeah, I uh, should we start with the Google year in Search? Yeah?
Speaker 5: An, well, any top line thoughts from people, just you know, just to open it up, you know, what, how would you I guess everybody describe twenty twenty three and two to three words.
Speaker 2: Oh top line thoughts sort of a dumpster fire.
Speaker 5: Okay, dumpster fire. I would say shit's fucked. That would be my shit's fucked.
Speaker 6: Is great.
Speaker 7: I can't even think past genocide sadly, you know, not to bring a damn brother the beginning of the episode. But it's like to me, I'm like, how can we talk about the rest of the year when we've just been having a really rough time since October?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: This person of the year, a dead baby, ring that new year baby.
Speaker 1: I'll it up in one word, Barbenheimer.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, you're right about one thing. There's been a lot of bombs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you in and out of the box office for sure. Yes, yeah, Taylor.
Speaker 3: Swift, Barbenheimer, that's three for you, and that's my year twenty three.
Speaker 4: So that's gonna do it pretty nicely.
Speaker 3: We'll cut out all that other stuff that everyone was talking about and just you know.
Speaker 1: It's a two second episode, that's right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there's definitely some shit like I the story that happened this year, but most like registers for me is like that definitely wasn't this year for some reason. The fact that the Last of Us came out this year seems impossible to me.
Speaker 1: I'm not really.
Speaker 6: Sure, Like that was last year year's moment?
Speaker 1: Was it last year? Well? Wait? Did it? Like?
Speaker 6: Am I crazy? Did it feel like the Last of Us? Heyday? Topic felt like we talked about at the end of last year.
Speaker 7: But the show was definitely airing in the summer, because I remember so vividly my partner's sister living with us catching up in the Last of Us every week on HBO on our cant Wow, you.
Speaker 1: Know what the release date was? What everyone? January fifteenth, twenty twenty three. Yeah, maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 6: Maybe we did was coming.
Speaker 8: At the end of last year, right right, right, Miles, that's not true, that's not true, and so it was our first live the Miles pelling on this shit.
Speaker 1: I'm not expecting to go to fact check what I say right now. I'm just going on vibes.
Speaker 2: That's not true.
Speaker 3: But like vibes wise, that show did not come out this year, No, fie, that's a twenty twenty two show.
Speaker 1: That was like a twenty twenty one show.
Speaker 2: Maybe if we're specifically looking at vibes, this ain't.
Speaker 5: This ain't even it, it's not even it's not even registering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so the AP did a bunch of like gear in review shit, And the main thing that I took away from it is that it feels like this was the year they started to truly not give a fuck.
Speaker 4: One writing the internet.
Speaker 3: You don't say there was Like one of their articles was top TV of twenty twenty three. APS selections include Succession, Jerry Duty, Shrinking Swarm. But then like the writing underneath that, like the subhead is, did you.
Speaker 1: Watch Beef yet? What about the Bear?
Speaker 3: It seems there's always a show or two that maybe you've meant to watch and just haven't gotten around to yet, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Like that is some saying shit without saying anything. Ask copy like it reads like a copy in a spam email, and it is in the AP like your review. Like that's fucking wild, Like they like stopped giving.
Speaker 7: A fun at all that they publish.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't understand. Also, all the web pages are fucking broken.
Speaker 2: There's one thing I know is that like headline culture is dead right, Oh yeah, nothing makes any sense. I read the most insane headline earlier today, which actually was like a headline that normally, like I would be like, yeah, this is a positive headline, but can I just read it to you right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yes, please.
Speaker 2: This headline literally it made my brain explode. And it was from Democracy Now of all places. So I was like, okay, well, I know they're trying to do good, but like, come on, Amy, this is it, says New York Times. Israel encouraged Hamas control of Gaza to buy Quiet. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: To buy quiet?
Speaker 2: To buy quiet? In quote and buy quiets and quotes.
Speaker 1: Like has it purchase be you why to buy?
Speaker 2: Israel encouraged Hamas control of Gaza to buy Quiet.
Speaker 1: To buy q I heard I heard d Bai choir.
Speaker 2: To the Dubai choir.
Speaker 1: Du Bay choir. Have you heard them those little kids there's so they sing like little angel. Yeah, they shift building a stadium.
Speaker 2: It made me think that with like they're trying to sort of like instagrama infographic, a fie all headlines. Yeah, to a point where it's just like a bunch of words they put together and removed sort of like any like you know, right, anything else. So it just sounds like nonsense. So you're like, yeah, well, you know the thing you didn't understand about is that Israel, Uh did something?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: You're like by quiet, yeah, and you're like, what what are you talking?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because like headlines used to be something you could just read and then go into a conversation with like the confidence of a connor, and it's can be like the yeah, oh yeah, yeah, of course, of course. I mean we all know that there's really Hamosoper by.
Speaker 3: Quiet and you're like you're you're doing and people are like are you all right?
Speaker 1: Can you like you mean something? You know? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But people, Yeah, I feel like this is why I think if if it wasn't gonna Times Person of the Year, if it wasn't going to be Labor, it should have been AI because I think, like we talked throughout this year, we were like, AI isn't isn't there yet? But it's like it's broken. It sucks, but they just like went with it anyway. They're using it to write the ship anyway. Yeah, it doesn't work, and these all these meaning has broken das each Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well I get these ads on Hulu all the time about AI.
Speaker 6: It's like scary.
Speaker 7: It's like use AI to help your company grow, And I'm like the fact that I'm getting like mainstream TV ads about AI is like super.
Speaker 6: Scary to me.
Speaker 5: Well that's why it has. It has crypto vibes all over it, you know what I mean. It's like, here's the thing that maybe we can get enough people into and that'll.
Speaker 1: Make me rich. And I'll just say it's the future, even though it's not even cut really close yet. I mean, we had this whole evolution with it. We're like, fuck, we're gonna die.
Speaker 5: And then we like spoke to enough people who know what the fuck they're talking about, Like this thing is a fucking joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not good, but they are using it.
Speaker 1: Is this impact the when.
Speaker 2: We googled or aied ourselves, it said that me and Miles were over married to his wife.
Speaker 1: That is fact and that is canon. Anna her majesty, Miles Throuble.
Speaker 5: I started by a throttle and we gave birth to our son Jack or Briar, Jork or Burger.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so that seems significant. Stops to buy choir. It just stopped. Everything stopped making sense. It was cool that that movie was re released, stopped making sense, the Talking Heads concert film, because everything truly did just stop making sense.
Speaker 1: This year, truly, Google year in search. I was listening back to the year and review from last year, and the top ship was like wordle.
Speaker 4: This year it was not fun. It was just warn Israel.
Speaker 3: I guess the closest we got to the like a fun top search thing was the Titanic Submarine.
Speaker 2: That one was like, oh yeah, when all those people died tragically, were.
Speaker 1: Like, that's like obvious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like everything else is earthquakes, hurricanes, shooting. There is a space mission that I believe nobody blew up in. So that's the that's the good one.
Speaker 1: Uh. And then right back to Warren's Sudan. I do want to call out so people the top search people in Google the globally or in the United States.
Speaker 4: This is in the United States.
Speaker 3: Okay, but can I guess Taylor Swift? No, Swift doesn't crack the top ten? The top five? Yeah, mile hit a top five. Damar Hamlet, Okay. The Buffalo Bills player, that.
Speaker 1: Player who died on the field and then was brought back and.
Speaker 5: Then brought back to life. Number two, Jeremy Renner, number three, This one that.
Speaker 1: One that one mind did.
Speaker 2: He did he drop? He dropped that hot track this.
Speaker 3: Year right he got ran over by the snow plow he got dropped that hot track or a snow cat, right, it was everyone was calling a snowplow.
Speaker 1: I had I think it was like a big one.
Speaker 5: No, it's a snow cat, like a thing that had fallen like tank treads on it.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure like that kind of ship. Number three. This is where you get swifty Travis Kelsey. Yeah, of course that people are like, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 6: Then that's number three for you. It's for me in the US. My oh, I'm looking at people in general.
Speaker 1: You're going to people globally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the US for Tucker Carlson, number five, Lill Tay.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right when she like died back to life there.
Speaker 5: Huh yeah, and then Andrew Tate, Carl Russell, Jamie Fox, Danny Masterson, Matt Rife.
Speaker 1: But it's all people who have like tragic things happen to them, or people are angry at I mean, is Carl Russell that isn't actually a person that was a mistake.
Speaker 4: You find out that is actually not a person who the.
Speaker 1: Lady who faked your own kidnapping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like it's just people being like what happened, right, They're like, that's Google, who's this Lill Tay that died?
Speaker 5: Or maybe who's this Andrew Tait men's rights guy?
Speaker 1: And then it's like, oh my god, Jamie Fox almost died.
Speaker 5: Danny Masterson is a sexual predator, Matt Rife has a fake chin like those.
Speaker 6: Are kind of the fake and hates women.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I heard he actually, like to save Jeremy Renner had to have his chin transplanted into his job. Did Jeremy Renner think totally? Like I remember that being a thing. I don't remember it being a thing that like everybody cared about. And so yeah, Usually we take a look at these and we're like, what is wrong with America? For For me, this this one was all about what is wrong with me? I am missing the zeitgeist. I'm missing all the stories that people care about.
Speaker 5: But you knew, but you knew it passively, you knew it after Jeremy Renner. And then you're like, already I'm up on the Renner lore.
Speaker 1: It's not care enough.
Speaker 2: What do you mean You're missing all the stories? You literally host a daily news podcast.
Speaker 1: We actually talked about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you first sure talked about it. You just didn't have to go.
Speaker 1: Was it the number two story in my life this year about people?
Speaker 4: You know why?
Speaker 1: Because it failed? That's why failed.
Speaker 2: You host a daily podcast, so you have like six thousand stories on your feet at all times. So like, yeah, you're like, oh, that woman picked her own death. Hah.
Speaker 7: Was when this was pulled because I feel like maybe it's just my new circle, but I feel like the Diddy stuff has been really big in my Google search, like my like my popular culture, so I do wonder when these people were selected for us.
Speaker 5: I think it's weird the p Diddy stuff has it hasn't quite broken through the main stream, which.
Speaker 1: Is really I mean, I think I mean about it.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm not on TikTok, but the second is, oh man, the theories that are like people trying to connect all these dots about him is wild.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's managed to well.
Speaker 7: He even made it to paper taploid because I was at the a good old suburban Kroger this morning with and it was like on the front of like Star magazine. It was like j Lo's horrible two years of nightmare with Diddy, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, damn, wow, Yeah, superducer Becerramos went to an actual grocery store, looked at the actual magazine racks, and came back with a Time Magazine Year of Review. So, uh, we'll just we'll be asking you to open to a random page, please and I will, yeah, and we'll learn what.
Speaker 1: Time Magazine has to say.
Speaker 3: But we're going to take a quick break and then we're going to come back and talk about the thing that we all really want to talk about, which is the top memes of the year.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 3: And does Time Magazine have have an opinion on the top the top memes.
Speaker 1: On the memes?
Speaker 7: No, they have a culture section though, let's see science.
Speaker 2: Sports culture section they do.
Speaker 3: It's hmmm, oh wait, No, where I get all my like movie and music picks each year? Is I just wait for Time Magaziness Year and Review and then just buy everything, buy everything?
Speaker 6: Well, they have like images for the year. They have the migrant crossing.
Speaker 7: Uh, show of support for because they're Zionists, for Israel, anything for support for Israel.
Speaker 2: Even I don't understand the question.
Speaker 7: Even one of the captain says, we are not Jewish, but we came to support Israel. So Okay, big Zion is over here at at Time Magazine. But are we are we really surprised? They obviously.
Speaker 4: Of Hamas this year, they obviously.
Speaker 7: Promoted Taylor Swift over Beyonce. I think they have like one little photo of Beyonce, but they have like multiple photos of Taylor Swift.
Speaker 6: So the war.
Speaker 7: Continues between the two. But they obviously the women do not believe in the war. They they were at each other's premieres.
Speaker 1: So yeah, exactly. The media they're here to support. They're here to support. Just stop at Time Magazine, you messy bitches. All right?
Speaker 4: Back to Google memes Top memes.
Speaker 3: Baby Kevin James the number I love A cute little picture of him being a cute little rascal, just with his hands in his pocket from the said King of Queens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't act like you don't know what the set that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that. I see that. I don't see Kevin James.
Speaker 3: Actually, when they said Kevin James, so that's not Kevin James, mean that that is a meme starring the King of Queens.
Speaker 1: I don't know his name though, I don't know that's King of Queen's.
Speaker 6: Well, what I love.
Speaker 7: About that meme is that it started to pull like weird photoshoots that like sitcoms of the nineties had to do for press because they like I started seeing ones from friends that were like why are they in I don't even remember what it was. It wasn't like a normal setting. It's like why are they holding hands like this? Why are they all like? Oh, I think one of them they were in boxes like just like geometrical shapes and they were like having to like almost like kiss in these geometrical shapes and You're like, what is happening? And yeah, So I liked that the Kevin James mean brought up that we used to do really weird TV promo photo shoots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they got to bring him back.
Speaker 5: Number two was the Ohio meme. Don't I mean I was that. Don't even think it was like only it's like the only in.
Speaker 3: Ohio kind of shit, right, It's like Ohio must be stopped, like everything is Ohio.
Speaker 7: Yeah, or I saw you know it's big in New York because there's so there's a giant billboard by my house in Brookland that is like you could be paying you're paying that much rent here when you could pee in Ohio and we're like, but none of us want to go to Ohio. This billboard is on Bhio just kidding.
Speaker 2: Have you been to Columbus?
Speaker 1: Gorgeous? Yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: Columbus is beautiful. I would hang out in I would have lived there. I would have like a little house in Colombo.
Speaker 1: A lot of people I know from Columbus would beg to differ, but uh yeah, a stupid nice place to place. Well then they're dumb.
Speaker 4: Well they're fucking idiots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of a lot of these are like Ohio is just like a I don't know, like I had to look up on Know Your Meme and it's like, you know, every like all these weird kind of inside jokes based on like a twenty sixteen picture that was like Ohio will be eliminated that was written on a bus stop and then they were like what.
Speaker 1: If Ohio was this like powerful cause? And so it's just a lot of Ohio shit.
Speaker 5: I think the ones that are most power or full in our minds probably is I think to start folding chair. Folding chair, that to me was the one of the best things, best meme stories of the year, great stuff.
Speaker 4: There's the person of the Year, the Person's of.
Speaker 5: The the folding chair person of the Year.
Speaker 1: The way we.
Speaker 2: Found everyone training was folding chairs leading up to and then like people re enacting it in pools and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gorgeous, fantastic.
Speaker 1: That's when you know it's that's real, like meme ubiquity for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. It struck culture in a way. And also it is like basically like literal like race wars the funniest way possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what the what the wild thing too is how it played out too, is like the white lady won't face charges, but the black guy might, and then there's like this well back and forth. It's like okay and maybe not anymore and you're like what yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Then it's like but did you see that white guy's crocs? Even crocs was in on it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It was an incredible sort of uh intersection of all culture coming in together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wrestling, yeah, racial in Alabama.
Speaker 6: Cross man, climate change.
Speaker 2: And then also like fairy culture right right, right, Wait, what was the fairy culture they had? They were asking them to move their boats so the fairy could pull in like the ferry. Yeah, the four with then the real culture.
Speaker 1: Boston Boston cop slide. Also stop bins and we have here our man on the street on.
Speaker 2: I was in Boston for the tour. I went I that slide was like ten minutes from my hotel.
Speaker 5: Not out there. This is important, sorry, I said, not our tours and people. No, no, this a much bigger show. This is important.
Speaker 1: Friends becose she likes much better than us.
Speaker 5: Well, we can't provide private jets, so I'll give her that.
Speaker 2: That's very true. I walked over there. I waited in line behind a bunch of children down the slide. Unfortunately, here's the thing. I was alone, so I would have gotten video if I had like another adult with me, but instead I didn't really feel comfortable asking a child to take a video of me. Sure, I went down the slide because I was like, I have to understand what this slide is. Completely pleasant, absolutely no reason for a man to fly down that slide and lose his gun.
Speaker 3: Like like your phone didn't fly out of your pocket when you went down, and you didn't like go as over tea kettle.
Speaker 2: No, here's the thing. My body stayed in the same position from when I started the slides when I ended the slide.
Speaker 5: Okay, standard slide fare basically like had he just not been had he heard of slides before? But even if you had it, But even if you had it, I was asking Anna, like is there a way to launch yourself down? And it's like not really, It's like, so is he some kind of physics anomaly as like a human being?
Speaker 2: What if his man had never gone on a slide before and was not ready for like slide culture in any way.
Speaker 3: Slide culture is real, but maybe his uniform is like made of teflon, right, and like maybe it just like sped down there. It's just God, I love it picturing you in a line with like five children front of you, like three behind you.
Speaker 2: It really was what it was. I was like minding my business.
Speaker 3: Yeah I had kind of because I'm so internet poisoned. I had assumed it would be like a bunch of people with their phones and like there.
Speaker 2: Were people there, but it was funny because you would like make eye contact with a parent, but they would not, Like I got it. One was looking at you weird because they all knew, like.
Speaker 1: We know, yeah, here for the fucking slide. Yeah we get it.
Speaker 2: Well, slide holds.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Boston for the slide scibity toilet, which I still don't totally understand.
Speaker 6: That Google that one.
Speaker 1: I was like, what, oh man, so Becca, who is canonically eighteen years old. It is like he's so young, does not even know.
Speaker 6: The other ones I know, very young.
Speaker 3: So Becca's the youngest person possible as far as I know, and which is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, Becca's younger than my kids, younger than my kid? Yeah?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 1: Uh? What? What does Time Magazine have to say about skibit toilet? Interesting analysis?
Speaker 6: They didn't quite cover that one.
Speaker 7: It not.
Speaker 6: But the Veiggest Dome they got six pictures of that.
Speaker 3: Time Magazine loves the Vegas Dome. I bet there was a conversation where they were like, should James Dolan.
Speaker 1: Be the person of the year?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I don't know.
Speaker 7: A special sphere is a special sphere?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Okay, special sphere?
Speaker 3: Is that a play on words alliteration? And the next one is uh, the second story that based on vibes did not happen this year as far as I can tell that this one does not, see?
Speaker 4: Am I wrong? Angela Bassett did the thing?
Speaker 1: Did the thing this year? That was this?
Speaker 2: That was this year that.
Speaker 1: Seems so long ago to me, you know what, but that's yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean Angela Basaid did the thing and she's coming back to host again.
Speaker 6: Big sleigh for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 5: I think the one that we got also shout out too that was very of personal interest to the show was Grimace.
Speaker 7: Because I feel like this year that felling last year, I was like that was this here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, milkshake is eternal feels.
Speaker 5: It's also the top searched recipe in the United States, really, the Grimace Shake. Yeah, next to lasagna, soup, chicken.
Speaker 6: Cobbler, soup went viral on TikTok.
Speaker 5: Black Cake, pump teeny, the Hugo, Sprits, Cowboy Butter, Coronation, Keish Brazilian lemonade, and Cotta cheese ice.
Speaker 6: Creape Cowboy butter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that sounds ronistic. Yeah, yeah, it sounds like what forms when a cowboy hasn't bathed in like three weeks. I'm sorry what it sounds like to me?
Speaker 4: Just going off?
Speaker 1: Wait, what do they say the Grimace milkshake is made of like what are they like, grapes?
Speaker 2: Eight cups of sugar.
Speaker 1: And then bring Grandmas over and get him off.
Speaker 5: For that unforgettable purple hue.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. You are, boss Roman. The Roman Empire is also on here.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 1: That's it's funny, not true.
Speaker 2: Because when you really think about it, it's quite present.
Speaker 1: And everything we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I literally say that, like I don't even here's the thing even before the meme, Like when my team would start like losing in tennis, I would be like, that's how the Roman Empire fell. But that thing is, like we talk about the Roman Empire actually quite a lot. It's it's it's a that meme is actually quite on the nose. Dare I say it? And don't act like men out here aren't being like, well, the thing you need to understand about history, okay, because you know you guys all are we are one? Have you ever talked to a white man before? I would out history so quick.
Speaker 5: I would actually posit that the United States is more like Carthage than it is a Roman.
Speaker 1: That's my whole problems.
Speaker 3: You're already talking about what you have to understand. She's turning into a grim mischake, going out of body. Uh, let's take a quick break, we'll come back. We'll do worst movies of the year. And wrap it up. We'll be right back, and we're back, and so, uh, Metacritic no longer doing their digest of like the top ten lists of of movies like critics top ten lists, because they're a website and wesites just decided to stop.
Speaker 1: Like paying humans to run.
Speaker 3: Them editorially, so they don't do that anymore. But they do do the worst movies of the year, which is I always find it revealing because it's like, oh, that's what like that person has been doing for the past year. Like John Cena and Alison Brie were in one of the worst movies of the year that was like an action adventure. It seemed like very similar in theory to the Sandra Bullet Chanting Tatum one from last year, right, like an adventure romancing.
Speaker 7: The fact I even realized that movie came out with Alison Brie and that's.
Speaker 1: So many movies this year. Yeah, so that was that.
Speaker 5: The strike also kind of helped blur those things because no one was promoting anything.
Speaker 1: So you're like, huh, I saw.
Speaker 3: The previews for My Big Fat Greek Wedding three, and you know, I remember when the first and second one came out, and then this one they were showing the previews and then it like never came out, but it did. It was just it was just bad wha.
Speaker 2: Watching don't talk like that about good reviews, is all.
Speaker 6: I did not think it came out. I was shook. When I was prepping for our Year.
Speaker 7: In Movies episode, I was like, wait, my big back Greek wedding and I missed it. Let me tell you, I'm a franchise fan.
Speaker 2: I love a franchise fan.
Speaker 1: Watch franchise.
Speaker 2: Watch number one recently still holds up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I watched it last year around I did with a friend and I was like, this movie still fucking slaps.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 5: I did three weeks ago for the very first times.
Speaker 2: Literally five or six years of me since I met you, I've been saying, you haven't seen my big packorck wedding.
Speaker 1: This bit.
Speaker 2: You finally watched it after all this time.
Speaker 1: I couldn't. I was.
Speaker 5: I was with some people and like they're like, oh, let's watch it, And I got the save response, like you haven't sa.
Speaker 1: Wrapped me to a chair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The touchers class it touches culture like it's like, as a person of color in this country who doesn't have a lot of rom comms.
Speaker 6: I feel like that was the wrong come for us that the day.
Speaker 7: You know, Yeah, it like did touch on like the immigrant experience family.
Speaker 2: I've ever seen that represented my family in any way.
Speaker 5: It was funny because like growing up with some Greek people, I was like, watch one of the first lines gonna be about how to use wind decks on everything, cut to wind decks on everything, Like, okay, but I guess that's just ubiquitously.
Speaker 2: Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It was, Yeah, it was great. I don't he went high on that one. You guys great, Yeah, you're full of shit, not mad.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. My favorite line when he's like when the aunt is, by the way, every single casting in that show, in that movie incredible work. When the aunt is like, come over, we'll make you dinner and they're like, well, you know he's vegetarian, and she's like, veget terry. I'll make lamb. That wine reading is the most legendary, Like to this day, if someone says anything about vegetarian, I say, I'll make lamb. It is a cultural touchstone for me. I'll make that like just doesn't give a ship that you're vegetarian or Greek. I'll make lamb literally.
Speaker 7: My parents around the holidays because my partner doesn't really eat a lot of pork, and my parents are like, I don't know what to tell you, my guy.
Speaker 5: Okay, so yeah, your blood type is going to be put Neil Man.
Speaker 3: I hope you're ready, Miles. The family switch is on there. I believe, did you is.
Speaker 1: That I saw that ship came.
Speaker 5: You can count on me to watch the worst movies of the year and know nothing of the actual achievements in cinema this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that that definitely can be on there.
Speaker 5: It's like it's one of those movies where like I feel like anyone watches and you're like, I could have done a better job, like blackout drunk writing a film than like whatever this was.
Speaker 1: Maybe that is the method.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's just you just have to get blackout drunk and then write the film. The expend for blessed or expendables four, but it's written with the four in place of A because the four, I guess looks like a capital A, but you don't capitalize that part of the word anyways. That came out. I didn't realize it existed that Charlie Day movie. I don't know why this was on my radar, but it was like Charlie Day wrote and directed this movie seemed like a classic, like I don't know Peter Seller's premise where he's like this strange character, the strange figure who gets like mistaken identitied into being a movie star and then it didn't come out.
Speaker 1: Oh it did. It came out in May. It was just nobody. Nobody was checking for it.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that one looks like like Charlie Day, people are like, this is his big swing, and then you should have known that when it was coming out in May.
Speaker 5: That, like so many things, you're like, people are gonna be looking back, like how Willa Ford is like my career tanked because of nine to eleven because my album came out on nine to eleven, right, and like it's gonna I feel like the same way the Strike is like just we've like shows just disappeared in like the pop culture memory because no one was actually talking about them.
Speaker 2: Her album dropped on nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why she was so hilariously fucked.
Speaker 2: She's like, hey, guys, just want to promote.
Speaker 1: Oh got off?
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh never Okay, well that was tough.
Speaker 3: I read the room, who's like one of the leads in Hamilton, and she was in like this kid's movie that my kids like, Over the Moon. So I was like, I'm checking for her. She's in Moana. I was like, she's gonna have a career, and then like she disappeared. But she was in one of the twenty worst movies this year called One True Loves.
Speaker 6: Oh on the trailer for this, yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: She her husband dies, she falls in love with uh the famous actor from Chang Chi Oh.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yeah, she obviously disliked actor hilarious.
Speaker 3: Falls in love with him, and then her husband come back from dead?
Speaker 1: What wait?
Speaker 2: What her husband comes back from dead? Whoops?
Speaker 6: He was a coma right or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or maybe he was like missing or I don't know, yes, moving along.
Speaker 1: He miraculously resurfaces. Yeah.
Speaker 7: They were like, oh, well, I have to move on my life. It's been five years.
Speaker 2: He's got to cut his losses. Sorry bro for that long.
Speaker 1: We saw cast Away. We saw Castaway, you know when you're out there.
Speaker 3: So it's just like what if Castaway was focused on Helen Hunt's Basically, the premise of this seems like it could.
Speaker 1: Be a good one, but so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then finally Winnie the Pooh Blood and Honey.
Speaker 1: Uh was that is.
Speaker 3: The number one worst reviewed movie that came out this year according to Metacritic, and see that coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we kind of had a feeling.
Speaker 3: It felt like they made a movie and then got attention and then we're like, we're gonna keep making this movie.
Speaker 1: We're gonna add movie to this movie and apparently didn't hang together very coherently.
Speaker 2: Like we're gonna need more movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna need bigger movie it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could you, uh we sprinkle some more movie over here?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, a little weird.
Speaker 3: Hey, speaking of Tasty grub Hubs, Trendiest Foods of twenty twenty three based on orders is something we always like to check in with on this episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a couple of notes that they said that their whole thing was like sort of about like fivees. So like all the like copy in this blog posting is doing like trend one. It's giving fire school scales went off the charts. It's like gen Z Samantha. But they're talking about how this year a lot of people were adding spicy shit to their food.
Speaker 1: It was up a certain like a percentage of over last year.
Speaker 5: The next one, it's giving fizz work breaks hit different with a diet soda. Apparently, the hashtag diet coke break trended with over forty three million views on TikTok, and people wanted to get their fixed. They said diet coke orders increased by seventeen percent in twenty twenty three, just ordering a diet coke on grub Hub, like along with something, you know, like if you're ordering something with your food. Another one it's giving it's giving midnight oil jack caffeine cravings went after hours.
Speaker 1: This one is interesting. He said.
Speaker 5: People were winding up, not winding down this year, with over ten million coffee beverages ordered after five pm, which wow, I think it's kind of grip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not good for you. Yeah yeah, like.
Speaker 5: Ooh, either you're accidentally up all night or you need to be, which case, my heart goes out to you.
Speaker 4: Grinding.
Speaker 3: We're on that grind as a nation. And then it's giving Aloha. Pineapple on pizza goes mainstream. It said people didn't hold back when it comes to ordering on their pizza. In twenty twenty three, Hawaiian pizza lovers ordered Pineapple with Pride the topping rows thirty.
Speaker 1: Three percent since last year. I'm not a pineapple guy, so I don't.
Speaker 3: Like a two month dalliance with pineapple a couple of years ago, and then my kids got tired of it, like, oh really, it feels like a thing for children, Like the children like pineapple pizza briefly, Pineapple Twitter is gonna come for you.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, Kineapple on pizza is like that's not new.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, But why this year though, Like, like did it go up by thirty three percent?
Speaker 1: Did someone? Did the older people figure it out? The old maybe?
Speaker 5: And then finally it's giving tangy wow booth to fashion. Pickles were on everything. Pickles had the largest increase since last year, with an eighty nine percent increase, with people ordering because of that stuff TikTok.
Speaker 7: There's a girl on TikTok who sells these pickle sweaters and they like went viral and they keep selling out and then I picked my definitely having a moment, a moment. I'm on pickle TikTok. I'm seeing girls make pickles from home. I try to make some pickled cares. The other day did not go well?
Speaker 5: How does it not go well? Like you you just do it too soon, like you eat it too soon, rather than.
Speaker 7: I don't know, I left it for a minute, and I just feel like they did just waste it at Okay, yeah, just one minute.
Speaker 6: No, I left for like probably a week, and I thought.
Speaker 2: Yet to leave that shit for six years, honey.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well now I know because I was like, I just felt like they weren't very flavorful and I just had soggy pickles, you know, right, you know like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you got to be like my parents where you're like, so you pick up like a cobweb covered so like even that mister's color has turned and you're like, is this good? And they're like, oh that spice.
Speaker 5: You open the lid, it doesn't even pop, Just like that, like.
Speaker 2: A smoke comes out. That's when you know it's been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, makes the sound that when you rub a Genie lamp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed that they stuck with the It's giving a format for the entire thing once again, just more evidence that a I was the person of the Year, and it's just they're just like, I don't know, just to u gen Z spin on these trends.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, cocaine, it's giving national ego death.
Speaker 3: Let's all bury ourselves a love, all right, guys. Well, that has been our review of the year in review. So many so overall, you know, thumbs up, thumbs down. Twenty twenty three nailed.
Speaker 1: It right, seven thumbs down.
Speaker 3: We were talking on last year's year review and review about the trend of people being like this was probably as recently as like two three years ago, people being like goodbye twenty twenty three, Bring on twenty twenty. Yeah, like where they just assumed that the thing that was wrong with the year was the year. This year was so bad? Can't wait for twenty seventeen? Eighteen was jump still, can't wait for twenty seventeen when the guy who made twenty sixteen bad is the president of the United States.
Speaker 5: Yeah only yeah, if only worked like that, And it's like, yeah, because the second January first hits, there will be a global shift in consciousness and empathy that will change all of the north.
Speaker 1: Then we go back to how it always used to be.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when in reality it's like get ready, Trump's coming back. Everyone, get ready to shelters.
Speaker 3: Ready, I feel like there's never been a year so bad that I'm also like, this year was very bad twenty twenty three, and I'm almost certain twenty twenty four is going to be like far worse, just based on like the inevitable, like the potential election.
Speaker 4: What's going to happen?
Speaker 1: Check into our predictions.
Speaker 5: Check into our predictions episode where we will see into our swordage future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have our predictions coming, the bad predictions of twenty twenty three and the good predictions of us.
Speaker 1: What's actually coming in twenty twenty four? Yeah, is an episode coming in the coming days. We will talk to y'all then. I hope you're having a blessed holiday. Yeah, yeah, stay tuned for the image of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: It's going to be Sarah Connor watching her son play in a playground.
Speaker 1: Twenty three.
Speaker 3: Uh, and then we'll see what happens in twenty twenty O god, oh no.
Speaker 1: We'll be back for that.
Speaker 4: Bye.
Speaker 1: Take care everybody.
Speaker 2: I love you.