Speaker 1: It is drink chants, motherfucking podcast.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He's a legends Eary Queen's rapper. He's agreed as your boy in O R E. He's a Miami hip hop lioneer. What ups d J e f N? Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players you mean, and the most.
Speaker 2: Professional unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk.
Speaker 1: Chans mother every day is New Year's E. Listen, It's time for drink champs. Drink up, motherfuck mother? Would it good? Be OBEs Wills? This your boy in O R E? What up is d J e f N? This middle drink chances right now? When I tell.
Speaker 2: You you know the game has shift?
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 3: When I tell you, uh, it started on the East coast? Did it went to the West coast?
Speaker 1: I believe? Did? It went to the.
Speaker 2: South, and then at some point it went across the pond. That's what they say, right of course, the goddamn pond and London is one of the hottest things happening right now.
Speaker 3: But one of the things that I appreciate about is this guy made a series. He made a series with all people who look like me. He made it on paper I imagine reading this on paper, like black sci fi superheroes, it must have sounded great. But I watched this series, and I'm telling you, this is one of the best series ever. I look at it like it's the Wire meets the Black Panther.
Speaker 2: With a little bit of Hawk, and I called it the Black Vengees, you know what I mean, not Adventures the.
Speaker 1: Black Avengers.
Speaker 3: And when I tell you, I was so happy watching this ship. Oh my god, in case you don't know what we told your mother one and only motherfucker. No, no, I'm not I'm not exaggerating. I really really watching it. I really was like, how can you? Because I read what it was about right and then obviously you know, you know times my boy and he's like, you got to check this out. So I'm like, I'm like okay, and then I'm like, all right, cool, how can we make this make sense? And then when I watched it, I was like, this is so dope, because see, I thought that these people already knew.
Speaker 1: About their Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that they're finding out with me as I'm watching it.
Speaker 1: So how did you come up with this idea? You know what it is?
Speaker 2: I just I like the Journey in it, like threw out watching The Batman's the Supermans and all of that, and I always enjoyed it. But the narrative of Parison gets powers, then get spandex in the cave, it didn't make no sense because I'm not doing that. You're not doing that, and we've been sold that for a long time. You've got plant, you get a long span dex suit, and then you save the world. I'm like, bro, if I get money, now, if I get powers, I need to get some money. You know, I need money. I need to fix my situation. I need to make relationships. I need to make sure my family is straight. Why is there not a show that's like that with powers? And that's where it just began, and just wanting to see that. So then when the opportunity arose, I was just like, yeah, this is this is what I want to do, you know, whenever it's came through.
Speaker 3: Right, Because but and I heard you say you said it was for Top Boy, that this wouldn't have been a success because that boy came first.
Speaker 2: Correct. I don't think would have been as accessible to you guys. I don't think you would have like to the way the language and the slang. I think because you've watched with them years, you're a bit used to us now, even though our.
Speaker 1: Rappers are crossing over now. It's like, I think that that helped you hate study over here.
Speaker 2: So now when you know there's references, is it like top Bay, is it like this? Is it like the So I think it helps man, But yeah, because because you know what, it was crazy because it was times that I had to rewind because I didn't understand some of the dialect.
Speaker 1: But then I thought about.
Speaker 2: It, I was like, that's probably exactly what people were.
Speaker 1: Doing with the Wire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the Wire was a straight Baltimore in the US.
Speaker 1: I used to wonder, what's due the whole dude. Well, I learned that language from the Wire, and I was like, I want the super sized.
Speaker 2: I'm not even watering it that you So yeah, I apologetics.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you because was that was that? Was that something that came across because.
Speaker 2: Spare time, Netflix will be like, perhaps they're not going to understand what they're saying. This is not even just in the you in the States. They're saying people in the UK will understanding. South London had his own language, right you know, and we speak a certain says that Britain on the South, Yeah, Brixtains past South as well in genuinely like the real urban, gritty parts of all London.
Speaker 1: We have our own slang.
Speaker 2: So when certain netflix is ex are watching it, they're not understanding what it means, Like what does this mean? What does that mean? I was like, well, you're going to find out. But I'm not warring it done. This is going to be straight raw South London show how we speak and people just have to figure out the language, man, you know what, you know.
Speaker 3: It was one of the those things was me coming to London. For as many times I came to London, I always go to Nando's gonna and I'm looking and I'm sitting there with my wife and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, it's going to be authentic. If Nando's say this can't down. I was like, that's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, we said have to be a part of it. It's just it's just the experience. That's the London experience.
Speaker 3: But it was something you said on The Brothers Club that I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Few. You said that London slang is like New York slang. But I think I think, I said, did I say it was like Canadian slang? Said, and you said, and I said, London, New York.
Speaker 3: Here's here's the part that you forgot to mix out.
Speaker 1: I think that the yard man slang is a part of the London slang. Yeah, I said. And people were checking me on that. People hear me.
Speaker 2: Saying, that's why the Canadians sound like the Brits, because all of the Jamaicans that went over with the candid Dog and the slang boy inherited there the same way we inherited it over here in London.
Speaker 1: I said, So, yeah, so that might be true. Bro, that's that makes sense. Yeah, because because because you remember.
Speaker 3: And my day, I remember hearing about the shower posse being deported from New York.
Speaker 1: And that's where they went. They went to Canada and London. You know what I mean. Everybody didn't want to go back to the yard. It was like, wait a minute, but you're from Nigeria, bigger. You used to steal credit cards and ship like that, right.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's a very hostel.
Speaker 1: For those that don't know.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is a very deep part of I'm about to say movie, and didn't up to say documentary, but this.
Speaker 1: Is a series. It's a very deep.
Speaker 3: Part of the series is he attacked. He attacked a very serious issue in our community. And what I didn't know there's two There's two things in my life that I always wish I asked more of. When pun used to go to sleep and when pride he used to get sick. I always wanted I never asked him like, like, what are you going through? Like I guess I was too young, So I just was like trying to ignore it. And then when obviously that's when I heard single cell.
Speaker 2: I heard you say that you first found out from sickle cell hit him up. Yet that's the first time I ever heard that.
Speaker 3: So so what a lot of people don't know is single cell is a universal disease, but it's runs rapid in the black community.
Speaker 1: And I heard you say something.
Speaker 3: That was really really really really really deep. You said, there's supposed to be other people with sickle cell.
Speaker 1: You just never met them. I haven't met them. So so what I did.
Speaker 2: Was I had the group google everyone that all famous people that who got sickle cell.
Speaker 1: You guys got the notes. Don't read it in Dominican, now read it in English. It's going. Yeah, has read.
Speaker 4: Nobody believes you read in Troubles even reading it.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on? Who Ticky Barbara from The Football Player?
Speaker 1: Okay? Also blacks take also black? Yeah, according to Google.
Speaker 2: This is this Dominican in Colombian Google. Okay, so I don't know, Okay, Okay, Ryan Clark that he's black, said Beanie Man, Meanie Man, big beating.
Speaker 1: Who King tight? Who the gypsy thing prepared? I think I think you would.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think you're gonna stop the listening.
Speaker 1: That's looking list that one. I think this is Columbian. What else?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 3: Corlins to the Basketball Player? Okay, Kiki Shephard okay. George Floyd okay, okay, wow. And that's how the list stops. So so another thing that I heard that the movie was inspired by George floydau how up in a Row London was at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, explained that it was a massive deal of mine life.
Speaker 2: I know everyone I know a lot of people from the States always feel like the black pain there is not it's not inherited, but we feel it the same way that you got feeling. So when Jersey Flood got murdered, it was it was just no destroyed. That brought the Camels back. Everyone felt everyone was done and everyone was going to Central London protesting and doing what they was doing to raise awareness, not the same We've had enough, do something and even though it wasn't a problem happening on our streets in London, we felt that man that ricochet. So I'm thinking, do I got cent you with my sign and do what I'm doing? And I thought that was dope one doing. I was like, can I do something different? Can I do something that makes us feel like we can't just get killed and thrown into the trash and no one cares? So I said, what if we need to do something to make us super? And that's when I really started working on the show. But I didn't know that TV takes one hundred years at them time, so I think it would be like a movie. I'll start in January, but that by December it took years. But I didn't know that at the time, so I really worse and thinking it could be ready and it could come out at the end of the year and this would be like a dedication to it, you know, So but yeah, it was. It was just a dark time in London. Man, like it was just too much because the viature was so graphic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that was just like, ain't.
Speaker 2: No one gonna do nothing. And I'll tell you one thing, I'll say in London. Yeah, if that was in London, people that jumped in, I'm not saying they didn't get got gun. The friends that got guns there in it. In London, there's no guns, like when the police don't have guns like that. So if they're trying to choke out one of the brothers, the mandom are jumping in on that, that's not that can't just flat. So for us, we're watching that like just let four man choking all that because we're we're going to get we jumping and you might sit in a cell phone beer. You know, you can say but you know it's not a big deal, but I get the fear of you jump in there.
Speaker 1: You might get shot. So it was just like, but we're watching this like why has no one doing nothing?
Speaker 2: Why is no one helping him? So it was just a big uproar in the UK. Man and I just wanted to play my part.
Speaker 3: And that despite this, because I believe that we just said George Floyd has sickle cell too.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. That's clear you didn't know. I just hope they go correct that list. I'm taking you google this.
Speaker 2: So Wikipedia though, on King to the Emperor, they say it started from malaria, and ye off the king.
Speaker 1: They talk about King to shoot it from Brooklyn. Maybe we don't know.
Speaker 2: So so.
Speaker 3: I think I asked you this and uh a little parts, but I want to ask you in this entirety. You know, you get, you get, you get blessed with this opportunity. People say ahead, we're gonna let you do what you want. What makes you say, yo, you know what, let me take a risk on my own. People like like it was like I could literally count some of the white people that was in there. In a good way, it was the bad lady.
Speaker 1: I think you know what.
Speaker 2: The trailer came out here and in the comments was just so much racism.
Speaker 1: It's crazy racive. Oh so the white people are villains? Oh, I guess the same for me? Then?
Speaker 2: Is this in some mystical world where London's black? I was like, yo, if we if we uprolled like this every time a show came out where we was in one row we were, we would I won't be able to be here because I've got to be on the YouTube every second because there's no shows every single night shows predominantly white casts, especially in the UK, so it's like why the one or We've got like five shows now that was all black casts. I couldn't believe the racism because I didn't intentionally put white people in there is villains. It was just a predominantly black cass So it's kind of the roles that were left over kind of thing like who's there? Because this whole show was to put black actors in a position where they don't have to fly to the States to do roles. I want to give them a show where they can get paid well, big platform, you know, grow their brand with a show like this. So we were out looking for black actors to you know, give them a step off. So it wasn't anti white, it was just pro black, that's right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So now I'm gonna say this now, one of my favorite characters is taseruat me, let me tell you why he's one of my favorite characters because he's human meaning not not not to say that everyone else is not human.
Speaker 1: But what I'm trying to say is you.
Speaker 3: A figure you get like powers and then you're like, all right, cool, let me go help the homeless. Like that's not how the suck certain people are. He was, he was a wicked man before he got the powers. He stayed the wicked man.
Speaker 2: Got the powers, he started doing some ill ship. So but what made you say that balance? Because you know, my man, Michael, Michael is he's a good guy, like he's he's he's he's the leader.
Speaker 1: That's not the leader, that's the leader leader.
Speaker 3: But to me, Taser was so much relatable to like street people, like who would get these powers and be like yo, I'm a Robert Bank, Like fuck helping the homeless, helping the wheelchair guy.
Speaker 1: These guys want to So what made you say that keep that balance of character.
Speaker 2: Because if I'm telling the story of normal people with powers and normal people with powers setting South London, there's no version of South London where a guy like that doesn't exist, you know, like I'm from South London.
Speaker 1: South London is it's kind of like they.
Speaker 2: Know the poverty part of London, you know, So a lot of a lot of London, not all of London that you saw five different characters, but that part is very prominent, and I just wanted the character that if you're in a game war and then you get powers, oh shit, you really?
Speaker 1: That was his thing was, this is a game changer with this, we.
Speaker 2: Can take them, we can take them, we can take them, And that's his mind frame. Remember he's only a teenager. He hasn't even thought about rubbing the bank. He's still about money, power and respect, right, So I just wanted someone realistic. As he gets older, he's probably going to say one, I just rob a bank. But at the moment, he's just trying to put his team on. He's trying to get his team to the next level. Okay, now this is something I was waiting to ask you. So But first of all, first before I asked you straight up that.
Speaker 3: I'm forty six years old, I don't condone violence anymore, but every now and then.
Speaker 1: Used to violence. That's what I said. But it's a scene. It's a scene where.
Speaker 2: Taser is on the bike and they got their bad danas on, and I was like, I want to be with them, like so cool, Like I'm.
Speaker 3: Just telling you, Like, like I said, I started this off with, I don't want to I don't want to condone violence. But I want to be there like they were. They went through the hoods, people start and they're on the bikes, but they look so smooth. They looked so I was like, I would like to help out, be a part of the violence. It looks just so cool, I guess cause they wanted revenge.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: So is it like that in London? Yeah, pretty much the whole back things.
Speaker 2: It was away for the two gangs, for the gangs to move because there's no license plates. Remember London, we're CCTV everywhere. There ain't no last places and pedal backs. So if you're beefing an area where it's literally a pedal back away, you get there, you get cool. There's no unless you get cold there you're not you know, they can't catch you. There ain't no lescense plate.
Speaker 1: There ain't no because I didn't even know what.
Speaker 2: You can typing on YouTube and you can look at p YG that there was a gag of bricks and and there's a gang of peck and they used to be back in the day and you see a real shot of the gang. I can't know if it was bricktain guys, pecking gangs and Brickston, but you see a similar shot whatevers, but much more people in the backs.
Speaker 1: And you do that because scooters pedal back. No, because they did it. They did it again. No, there's no game.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's wow. So now not only that this is this is an important question to me personally. It's very distinctive that you see one side is red and then you see the.
Speaker 1: Other side blue.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear them calling each other bloods the crips, but I also remember me going to San Diego and seeing the same ship like for Mexican gang and it's different for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's northern South. So is this something like that, like where these gangs use the same colors, but it's not for bloods and crips. But gangs do have colors. Some gangs do you rep colors?
Speaker 1: You know? For what I can remember, As I said, the game changes the time.
Speaker 2: But for example, I'm I don't know, hypes are familiar with gigs for example gigs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what youven come through?
Speaker 2: He would like his area used to wrap the black bandanners, but that was just their color they would rep. And that rapper that's in the show, Digger d his team red blue, okay, and other gangs red.
Speaker 1: But it was just growing up, would your your gang.
Speaker 2: Would have a color, like your band would be a color to refuse us gang like you come out.
Speaker 1: It's not as deep as the Cruption blast. It wasn't that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even I don't even think it wasn't intentionally inspired by that.
Speaker 1: But it is gangs rep colors and they didn't learn the Caribbean too.
Speaker 4: And I've been to like, hey, yeah, red and blue and they're not bloods of cribs, but they different ports have different flags.
Speaker 2: But you know when I originally started doing it, yeah, I've done a movie before called Blue Story.
Speaker 1: Come on, got that in my notes? Yeah, what is Yeah?
Speaker 2: The two gangsters guys and I remember the execs like we just couldn't tell he was here because we just couldn't tell he was here. They just didn't get it he was who. They just didn't know who the bodies were. They just saw a group of black guys rough night each other. So then we had to put colors. So the just oh, the blue.
Speaker 1: Guys, the guys, the bad guys, and the red guys.
Speaker 2: So we start doing like that. But the fact is it is the young younger low for why can we cool things? Changing the time in the streets And I said, I'm not kick no more. But the college is very prominent, so I'm bouncing around a little bit. I was watching on YouTube and there was this guy on the street. He was interviewing this other guy on the street and he goes, do you wear your watch in London?
Speaker 1: And he said no. He said why not?
Speaker 2: You have insurance and the guy said, I don't have insurance from my.
Speaker 1: Arm London's London is not the place. Minute you hear this now?
Speaker 2: He literally said that people come up and they'll chop you with a machete with a machete for your watch. Is it that bad people will do what they need you to get them watches off yours? I don't give it that. It's not a joke. I think a lot of people lose lose a lot for their watches these days. So if you're not going somewhere where I feel like you can't protectaste, that's not worth the grief. Like I've seen videos where you just go to the restaurant with your woman with your watch and they will wait for you to come out, follow you home and then rip off your arm for the way that is down with it too right or something I've seen that I've seen the same thing that you've seen. I don't know if that's common knowledge, but that's that's I heard how they knew. So what the way it does? Away who formally from from the street call the people say someone just coming with this ap you know where the blue dress black plays are, and then they wait for you to come out, they follow you home and then they get you at your doorsteps.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, though, watch Watch Crime in the UK is this is the number one and in London they said this number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. I can very much believe that. And did you know what fun it was? Number two? I know we go off the subject, which is fucked up?
Speaker 2: The's number two that I recently just read what's that cans France can I've seen that recently though, but.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that people they said that.
Speaker 2: But they're not violent though. They come up to you with pepper spray.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you go like this. I'm still trying to keep so let me start clip from Kanas now.
Speaker 2: So I'm bouncing around, but let's let's go back to the series.
Speaker 1: So another.
Speaker 3: Fun character was Sabrina Big the dean Okay she called man.
Speaker 1: She yeah, she didn't kill him. She has the powers. I was starting to think.
Speaker 2: I said, you know how many other woman in the hood w took full advantage.
Speaker 1: From we played it in l A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the LA's premier every one in the crowd together game. There was.
Speaker 1: Every time we played until the women in the crowd go crazy. You go crazy.
Speaker 2: They love it, you know, they want to have to kill it. And she's a good girl and she didn't. She didn't know she had the powers at that plant, right.
Speaker 1: I love I love the fact and I'm not blowing it up.
Speaker 3: But I want everybody to go see this because if you haven't seen it, you have to see it.
Speaker 1: And if you saw it, watch it again.
Speaker 3: Because I had to watch it again to catch certain things, and then I had to watch again.
Speaker 1: And then the.
Speaker 3: Only messed up part is I was running around, Hey, bros.
Speaker 1: Soon as I everybody does that.
Speaker 2: Everybody goes into that in once they started watching Everybody's just everything everyone.
Speaker 3: But but all right, So, like I said, everyone I should watch it. But one of my favorite things, and I touched on it earlier, is how they start to get their superpowers. Because remember, for those that didn't see it, they're all trying to use it. They all find out that they got it, and then they try to use it and then they can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they really needed it doesn't really work. Yeah, and they haven't mastered it. Yeah, take some minute. It kind of reminded me of black people in our situation. Sometimes we react better when we stressed.
Speaker 1: I feel like when we went our backs against the wall, that's when we show out. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: So that's what I started to think. I started to look at that. I was like, is that's what's happening.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of subliminal messages inside there, you know, like when I do write, I always ride with I might not turn up when I need to on time, voice when you need me, I'm going to be there. And that's how the powers kind of came up come about sometimes where even though it comes through times of stress when they really need it, they should be But the didn't get no always because you've seen it to the end, right, I've seen you already know it's nothing, but there's so many something messages inside there that it's there to uplift the community and to really speak on the human beings, especially the black community. Yeah, and you know what, I would love to.
Speaker 3: The wardrobe just like everyone everyone, everybody I looked. Everybody I saw looked exactly like how I thought that they would look.
Speaker 1: Even down to the to the guys that you know, the.
Speaker 2: Snatchers, Like the ship was baggy about you know hoodie guys, Like it was baggy.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like fly Like I was like, exactly how it is? Is gonna be happy with that com from so we got oh yeah, yeah, I'm telling you. I'm telling you, like it looked like and like you would you would think, like, what's it called Scott high high five? Scott? Which one on? What is the genre?
Speaker 3: So you were think far like you were speaking on earlier, you would think sci fi to put on something like some digital ship or something like that, and it's like it looks like.
Speaker 2: Right now to try to ground it, That's what the whole point of the show was, Like we wanted everything to be like if London.
Speaker 1: Got powers now, this way like relatable.
Speaker 2: So we wanted it to be like whatever you're wearing, this is what you would wear, this is what you So we were trying to do everything as Honestly, I feel like that's the realist version of London is like minus the powers obviously, but that is when I look at that, the parties and music, the energy on the street.
Speaker 1: I just look at it and I feel like that is just London.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to keep that as much as possible and put these powers on top and see if it will still work.
Speaker 1: So when when did When did London shift right?
Speaker 3: Because at one point I remember us coming to the US, coming from the US, excuse me, and we would go to London. It would be cool. No one will worry about nothing. There's no like I wouldn't say this was no crime.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, man, I say, you remember, yeah, but you came to London years ago. You can't go into the hoods. But he came to an event. It's called the Urban Music seven. Yeah, okay, it was so many It might be twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: It was so long ago. Man.
Speaker 2: Now from that general generation will remember this because you came. You don't talk and Bear Man came to see you. But everyone from everywhere, no Southeast and West Aid hoods.
Speaker 1: You came for one of the days.
Speaker 2: But it turned into like a battle rayl blood ball in that place because every single gang.
Speaker 1: Basically it was a big but it takes a lot. Yeah, so you don't remember, you don't see that. We wouldn't watch. That's probably what it is. I felt protected. I felt like we bro.
Speaker 2: You was like wasager was in London? Bro We was like what we all went down there to see that and we showed you love minute you left, because it was London has always been violent.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree with you. It could have been.
Speaker 2: I believe it was violid back then, but it was so sput structured, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's the was it drill music? I mean that's part of it.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's the introduction of drill music? I think it's social media, social med.
Speaker 2: The cameras them days when you're there, Like say, if I had a camera phone there, I would be showing you footage of me meeting. But I didn't have that then wet have phones. You're just seeing it now. But London's always been and to be honest, London's a bit worse. Is a bit it used to be a bit worse than today because there's all my gun laws now where if you get found with a gun, you get all mac five years.
Speaker 1: They won't lie out. Back in the day.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, you could get do a year for a gun, so a lot of man were taking that risk. It's not now it's all mac five years. So people are less willing to carry a gun and they're ready to pick up a knife. But when you was coming those times, just me money was still remember but you didn't see top Bay on this community in im not saying he wouldn't know. That's why I say top By, top By your help, because you're not knowing that, you're not thinking everyone's thinking. You know where just queens. It was always London, has always been London. I went to London one time. I'm uh big up. We called him the Mounting dym right and you I don't know if he wants me to blow up his name. But so I'm in I'm in London, I'm performing and Tim Westwood.
Speaker 1: Is not a part of the show. But but he came to the show and guys.
Speaker 3: Came and gave me a bag of weed like this big and everyone came up to me, Hey, you're drug dealing man like no man like I had so much weed never seen nobody from like New York have so much weed because you.
Speaker 1: Know you're going home the next couple of days. I smoked all that ship. Yes, yes, I believe it.
Speaker 3: So bouncing around a little bit the food culture in London and you got a mix of you know, African, African soul, you got, you got even a little bit of Latino out there. You got a little bit of everything. Like what is your favorite London dish? Basically London dish, Yes, London dish.
Speaker 2: I'm all preferred African dishes because I'm African. But if i was to take out my own food, but I've been eating African fud since I was a kid, I'll probably get the Caribbean food. So if I'm not eating your love rice or goosey soup and grand rass, I would probably get rass and peas and coxtail.
Speaker 1: So that was the mom.
Speaker 2: Just know that's what I'm That's what I'm eating. But London we got, We've got a mix of everything though, Okay, that's what I'm saying. We are very much like you. I always I just come back from New York and I'm always just like it's so similar, you know, everything everything so yeah, I think London. My favorite fruit is always after. I'm in the Caribbean. But you've got everything wrong. What's what's the wonder is I take the bread and you're dipping in the rice and go like that.
Speaker 1: Bread and rest is Ethiopian. That's a Guardian dish.
Speaker 2: But it's not bread. It's not bread. It's like it's hard to call it. Man, It's like it's like grounded rass. It's like a grounded rass. It's like almost it's kind of it's like, so you threw me off with bread spreading to rest.
Speaker 1: But it's like it's just African. It's African culture. Yeah, I like where everybody eat it, But Michael Black, isn't it black?
Speaker 2: You know? You like that?
Speaker 1: That's you know, it's not meant to be. It's not meant to be. It's meant to be.
Speaker 3: You meant to be a Okay, let's talk about shower story, shadow story, shadow story.
Speaker 1: That was your frost. That's what cut me through. Yeah, okay, so that there was.
Speaker 2: That was five years into my journey on YouTube, trying to make something called myself. So I was uploading from twenty thirteen loads of different lave musically now issues like that, And every time I uploaded one work with a story, I got more attention, you know, And any time I utloaded just regular music, it got less attention, which is cool. Doing it for year and years and years, and it's kind of getting to the print where it's costing me more than it's bringing me, you know. So I remember getting to the prey now for five years. When I say five years, I'm very much like not doing done a little bit in January and a little bit in December. I'm uploading like ten times a year. So I've got signed for Valentine's Day, i got signed for the summer. I got signed for Uber and it's costing. You know, you gotta pay for it. You gotta shoot it, you gotta upload on the channel. You gotta pay upload fee. I don't remember thinking, you know what, you gotta pay a upload fee for YouTube. If you were to go like okay, say like the World Style Hip Hop when I was trying to get signed there, they tell you how much money.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So going to one of.
Speaker 3: The play and you want to get on the biggest plant, get what you said?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I remember it's coming now, it's like fifty year into the journey, and it's like you're getting people that know you were like, bro, is it time to hang it up?
Speaker 1: Bro? Like you've tried. Man. I was like, I know my I know my thing's different. I know my things like what things Younique like, yeah, what brought it for years?
Speaker 2: But the man that don't even to tell it to the video she no more. It's like, bro, we've were coming to videos for years. You've gotta go to work. I'm just like I remember saying to myself, I've got this shadow of story figure and I've had it on YouTube from no on Spotify from twenty seven. No one knew because I didn't get a lot of dreams. But people that listen to it, yeah, the audio or the audio. Everyone that listened to it. People that didn't really talk to me really well, we always meant to me. So I heard that, thinking on Spotify, You're it's really good. Maybe just on my last hurrah, I'm just going to do a visual to this, okay as my final go bad because I love the storytelling.
Speaker 1: Storytelling. I'm just seeing my last one.
Speaker 2: Then go figure out something to a job man, and then I put it out and it blew up like it was crazy, like I don't know, we've got a Part one got a million views.
Speaker 1: In like ten days, and then before then I never had a million views.
Speaker 2: Part two got like a million views in four days, and Part three got a million views and five hours and it was viral. Then I got calls from Jay Z and James Samuel and everyone's calling me, and everyone did time time time time.
Speaker 1: Through that and from from shower store, so and so. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically once that came through the door, showers to everybody came. And what worked, what what worked in my favor was there was a massive show in Britain at the time called The Bodyguard, the BBC's biggest show for ages and it was there finale and you went against them, but I didn't know because I didn't want to win against him a boy.
Speaker 1: So we're trending about the biggest show in the UK. I just had all the networks start to contact me.
Speaker 2: So TV producting companies are hitting me up, film production companies are hitting me up. Everyone's hitting me up like we want to work, we want to do this, we want to do that, we want to do this. And I was like, yo, I was in the game without trying to get into the game. The game kind of came to me and I got through. Yeah, so by the congratulations, thank you you said, James said, you were earlier, my man, big up Still's brother.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first time me and James Brolay over there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So We're on the heighth of a shower stay doing all these radio interviews, getting back and forth, and I've got an email from a guy called Jamal Edwards. Man he passed away not too long ago, but I really lovely. Guy started trying to called SBTV, which is where a lot of us started. So his emailed me said, James Samuel and Jay Z wanted trying to reach you.
Speaker 1: I didn't know who James Samuel was, but I saw James, this is live, bro, this is I even pay attention to it. I just said the quickest email back. Yeah, you give them my number, pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: There was a big billboard of shower story in my in my neighborhood, like where I used to hang out. So we went down there just to take a picture next to it. Until I've got her FaceTime called from James Samuel, Bro. This put his energy was crazy energy, but his energy said that what's good?
Speaker 1: Black? He is such He's like, what's good, black guy? I've seen your work and we want to work with you. Me jay Z Tata, I'm just like, bro, who are you?
Speaker 2: Bro? Yo?
Speaker 1: I appreciate the comp my life. What's good?
Speaker 2: Because I'm not going to sell you on who I am, but just know you are a black guy is telling me maybe I don't have the FA before this time. So he's just guying off and I'm like, okay, I'm just taking a confidence. Okay, bro, appreciate that. He goes, oh, can I call you next week? I said, yeah, bro, you got my mind, man, you can put whatever.
Speaker 1: You are man.
Speaker 2: He goes, you know, and me and jay Z are saying I said, Bro, you don't have to keep from saying I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You cool men. You know one to me, jay Z is a guy that lives over there.
Speaker 2: You live in London, Bronn work sounds like I'm going to call you one week after the phone I signed them, Bro, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a good time.
Speaker 2: Speak to you soon. I don't tell my baby thinking about that, and I don't know, man.
Speaker 1: It was just weird. The energy was crazy, but then I remember like.
Speaker 2: Ten days later, I'm putting my daughter to bed now and he's called and I'm just like, bro, this is that crazy brother with the black guy.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, I want to say to my little girl cho.
Speaker 2: I said, yo, Bro, I'm just putting my little one to bed, and it goes wait, wait, black guy speak to my friend first, like bro, yo.
Speaker 1: But you know it's funny though, James is like one of my closest friends.
Speaker 2: Now lie and obviously through James, he's introduced me to time James and tied like my proper lot. They're my actual friend. You know, if they were here now, they'll be sitting deciding me. But it was crazy at the time.
Speaker 1: He was just this mad guy was back.
Speaker 2: And remember this is before Harderday, full before Booker clapping, So I've.
Speaker 1: Never heard of it. He didn't, doesn't. He doesn't come on the phone and say I'm He's just.
Speaker 2: A guy with a mad energy that he's basically telling you congratulations you've met me. Now.
Speaker 1: It's well, that's an energy, bro.
Speaker 2: Like James's energy is so so positive like he and honestly, since he's come into my life, it has only been winning, win, because we move as a collective.
Speaker 1: So even with this, he's like, Yo, we need to go on drink cool to get to that's what That's how we move as a collective now. But that the energy case. When I'm.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen, I'm just becoming a member of So, I'm just becoming a member of soul.
Speaker 3: There's nothing but white people around, so real. I walked to the bathroom. This is so house and the one with boys downstairs in La.
Speaker 1: So I'm walking through.
Speaker 2: It's a very quiet Sunday evening. He's walking by me. He stops and he goes, I'm like cool. The white people faces said why did he just call him the black guy? And I'm like hold up And he's like.
Speaker 3: Hey man, and I'm looking and then he starts dropping themes. Three he says ja name and whatever. So I'm like, I kind of just text BIGS. I was like, Yo, this is weird guy standing in front of me with braids, and he.
Speaker 1: Was like he's getting me Like, hope his best friend be nice to him. I said anything. He says he is.
Speaker 2: He doesn't drop names because he knows these people are confidence to him.
Speaker 1: As well, and he them. So he's that guy.
Speaker 2: You know, he was just telling me because he was like, Yo, I just told Jay, I'm putting you in the movie, and I'm looking and I'm like, this ship is too good to be true.
Speaker 1: Just text megs and was like, Gage is that guy? Man?
Speaker 2: So let me ask you because we heard this famous story about Netflix coming to see you and you're running up the bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I feel good one yeah you remember what you ate? Oh man?
Speaker 2: It was it was some of my dumplings. It was some prone dumplings, money bags. If anyone's gone to another cub, you know I'm talking about you had a trouble problem when I was ordering everything come up to that as well. You I was making them because I ain't got shame for things like that. If you're gonna take me to dinner, you're gonna me to dinner. Bro, I'm going to eat today, like I'm saying. So, yeah, remember asked for four. Just want everybody to know for four.
Speaker 1: So I remember there was.
Speaker 2: So I tried to do a deal with Netflix in twenty eighteen. This is before my movie came out. After Sharer story. They didn't like the show I had, you know, it just wasn't for them. And they had some sort of deal where it's like you can still pitch our days to us and we see what we like. I'm not really trying to be a pitch pony, but let's I'm sure we're reconnect, you know, like if it's meant to be. So my movie that was coming out, Blue Story, the promo for in the UK was crazy. You couldn't go nowhere and not see it. Buses, underground billboards. Ratio is still independent with this Blue Story. Yeah, yeah, still dependent. So they've reached out, like, you know, can we go to dinner? And I'm like, okay, they've seen all the press because the press was everywhere and we don't get a lot of all blackcast movies. They come around like once every six seven years in the UK, so when it comes, it's a big deal.
Speaker 3: But let me ask you, and I want you to get right back to that, but how did you get that funding for them to see that the billboards and things like that.
Speaker 1: I was independent, but it wasn't after Shower Story.
Speaker 2: Okay, when I told you everyone came, I was like, yo, I got this thing I made earlier two years before Shower Story. I wrote this movie. I wrote Blue story, and it just sat on my laptop for years. I'm hoping one day I'll make enough money. I'm going to save my money and I'm going to make it.
Speaker 1: So he just sat there.
Speaker 2: So when everybody came that we're going to do this, I was like, yo, if you want to do this movie, I've got because I didn't write that for nothing, that we can make that. And that's so that's how that got made. So it wasn't independent, it was I was independent, but the movie was made by power Man. It was an independent movie, but Powermount paid for the distribution, so they were pushing everywhere.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so they basically saw the hype.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was like, Yo, do you want to go to dinner? And I was like, cool, let's go to dinner. Man, where do you want to go? And they made it clear you're our treat. So I was like, yo, because pay for that. So we went.
Speaker 2: I went another because and you know, when they expect you to come in and just be modest, I want you want to know just some more.
Speaker 1: I was that, so I'm going to get that cocktail. I'm going to get that, get this. I want to get that. And I just ran up bare Field, but their Netflix, they go like that.
Speaker 2: So I'm just yumming off the food, right, jamming it off.
Speaker 1: But I think I was yamming so much they.
Speaker 2: Had to sneak the words up, wait, have you got anything that you feel like would be good for us? And I didn't know it was a pitch me in. I thought it was just not get to know each other. But it wasn't a general they they was they wanted to know what I had. Top Boy came out yet Top Boy was coming out in two in a month, Okay was coming out in the month. Okay, So so yeah, I'm just yumming this food, and they said, what's this idea?
Speaker 1: Idea? I gave him my idea. They didn't like it, of course, anything else Okay gave some other idea.
Speaker 2: I can't remember that one was. They didn't like that, and I think they started to feel like this money when food was wasted that right now, because there wasn't getting nothing back but any thick us. I said, Okay, I'm not gonna be able to eat in peace until I do sign so food. Still digesting the food in my mouth now, and I'm just like, look, I've got this idea. So about people from where I'm from, and they got powers, you know, but they're not doing superhero or stuff. They're doing normal stuff like what they would be doing the day before they had powers. Just normal people doing normal things. And I'm rambling on because they're not saying nothing, whereas before they was interrupted saying what else?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: But I'm looking at them and it was like change because they saw that that was the one and that's that's kind of testament to them. They're very sharp and what they know would will connect. So that was that because I thought the art there I was given one good but they didn't. But so yeah, from that, and it was like, can we talk about this now? I said, Yo, my movie drops in that three weeks. I just I just want to see what that does. First, let me see what that does. And then Blue Story Yeah, and then hollowed at me afterwards, and they waited, they waited for the movie to come out, and then two three weeks afterwards, they came back like, yo, we've circled the block now, like what's good?
Speaker 1: It's all God damn.
Speaker 3: Our shows about giving people their flowers or not, and we want to give you your flowers.
Speaker 1: Face to face man, you know what I listen? Do you know why? I was like, I was like, can I go? Can I go and drink drink?
Speaker 2: I said I would in the Fact show. It's always uplifting the games.
Speaker 1: That's right. It's not sneak sabotage, just like this. This is a this is a guy in my cabinet in my yard like y'all. So another thing we went through. We went through your music. But your music is so fire right.
Speaker 3: But I could also hear the ice cube and you meaning writing scripts like like that.
Speaker 2: That's why cube transitions so dope, because he was always you know, like there was a good day and all of that. So when he went on to do Friday, I wasn't shocked because you can see a story. I see a natural storyteller is a natural storyteller, Like you can do over it beat. He can do it in the script, and it's similar with me. I can do over beat. I can do it in the script.
Speaker 1: When it's in you. You you it's just a story.
Speaker 2: So you probably never had a chance to really tell his stories, probably because you've only got a certain aount of time on the song.
Speaker 1: That's why when he got into his writing Bang, it was just crazy.
Speaker 2: He's giving us the classical, all classics, and I just feel like natural storytellers, you just want to tell a bigger story. Then you want to tell a bigger story like I'm surprised Cubean't got a TV show yet, It's probably coming. I'm a big Q fan and I was all the storytellers of that generation like, so yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: That you do claim the b sides of people. Records, like the records that no one does a video.
Speaker 2: But for me, those were the ones that obviously the label was putting out the songs that's going to sell.
Speaker 1: But as a fan, you honest, I visualized what that character looks like. Bro, come and give me the loot.
Speaker 2: That brog BIGGI and a little biggie guy on these cameles trying to I always imagine, I'm literally I could redo that.
Speaker 1: Video now and have gave you power about the gun. Bro.
Speaker 2: No, but my favorite now story turns on is Undying Love. You know, when he goes the whole story I am and he ends up killing himself and HISLF and at the end, Bro, that story goes so deep when he figures out she's cheating, so all of these stories.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, bro, give me one video, give some a vacation. I always say it would be an ill movie.
Speaker 2: But they never do it, and I get it because you're trying to sell records, right, But for me, I was a slap bro. I'm giving everybody there must be someone out here like me who wants to see the visuals to these ill stories. So that was literally my lane. It wasn't trying to infiltrate film and TV. It was going to be I'm going to tell people, show people in my neighborhood all these stories because I didn't know nobody out of my neighborhood, so I was knowing where I was from.
Speaker 1: But then it just started growing. You know what I'm saying. God comes down and asks you, I want you to do one video with one artist. Two Packs fat.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have to ask, Okay, is it a record that's already made or is it a record that you want him to go in and make you some close Caskets that he's done with the Outlaws.
Speaker 1: Wowe, only real?
Speaker 2: Two Packs are gonna know that by that that tune is deep, you know, close Casket. He talks about two friends who love the same girl and they end up in a massive shoot and end up killing each other, and he doesn't he's done it with the Outlaws as well.
Speaker 1: But it's a big tune. Man, that's a big tune. I'll do it to that son, Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm announcing this right, Shiro story, Hyro Sharro story.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: You know you done that already, you know, let's go again there, I suppose what do you want me to say about it? Though, in the sense of where did it come from? What?
Speaker 1: Because how do you come up with these stories? Because yeah, there was two.
Speaker 2: One thing I noticed is everything is the name story. So yeah, yes, that's okay. And that was mainly because of I don't know, it's growing up. It was always I just wanted it to be clear that this is the story. I kind of always wanted to have what was on the tint, So it was that this is a story song. Okay, But yeah, I just remember I was I was actually in the studio recording us a typical song. And then link up TV, which is a platform in the UK, you know where people are low videos, pretty big platform being up the sheet. They've called me up I think he's one of his partners. Joey called me up and said, Yo, we're putting a confirmation album together and we want a song from you.
Speaker 1: I'm like, right, they want a song for me?
Speaker 2: Go yeah, we want a story song. They would make it clear that's what they like from you. We want to story something new and like what type of story song, I don't know. As long as it's a story song from you, where to be happy with it. I remember, okay, what story is something to do? I knew because I've done loads of story songs up to now. And there was two guys in my area, Rumo's guying around that two best friends would and when they found out that his to his best friend was actually the.
Speaker 1: Father, I remember, like, yo, it's a lot from when he found out. Everyone I don't know, so what so did he know that it was good? Nobody?
Speaker 2: No one had any questions to see when I've got questions, I just made up my answers in the story. So you know, I'm gonna tell a story about to you guys, similar situation, and I'm gonna put my outcomes. Yeah, I feel in my own blast story telling. And it just went like that Okay, so that's how it came about. But honestly, that thing there that changed everything at the time where I was about to chuck it all in, so fine, going for a shadow story, make stories for that?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, uh huh, you got it so quick time. It was not responsoribley stress you know what I mean? Do we do this? You gotta tell yeah? Okay, all right, So we drinking lisers are drinking game. Okay, We're gonna give you two choices. You pick one.
Speaker 4: Nobody rinks if you say both or neither of them. So the PC question of the political I mean the political correct answer.
Speaker 1: Would be we all drink. What are we drinking? Though? Your choice drink, your choice of drinking. It's not going crazy, you do because there's a long list.
Speaker 4: And then any stories you got with any of the people that we mentioned, please by all means.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll go good story. Okay, Yeah, you're gonna go ready, no mixed out with that way? Please crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, rip TUPAC or d MX oh Tupac. But that's not that's not easy choice. Okay, but we won't tell us why or any stories with either of them. You know.
Speaker 1: I love DMX for like a long time in the sense of he was my one ills in school.
Speaker 2: He was my favorite rapper. I used to you know, rap it. I used to I used to call talent shows and performing songs, and I just loved this whole music. I loved this whole style. I loved and he you know, they had the whole Damien out just stories. I was a massive DMX fan.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 2: When the rough Riders were brought in. It was just he was after Tupac. He was a person that kind of took me so I was. It was just a shame I never got a chance to ever meet him to any.
Speaker 1: Of his concerts.
Speaker 2: So but so you go on, but I have to go with Pa because pack was the first journey where I believed in him, not just the music. You know, like he was he was political, he sto I feel like he stood for something, you know, like Brenda's Got a Baby was political at the same time, you know, things like that.
Speaker 1: He would talk about things trying to change the world, even changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you listened to songs that changes like we ain't ready to see a black president.
Speaker 1: And at the time he probably wasn't, you know, but he was talking. I was.
Speaker 2: I was a two pack fan of the person as well as the artists, and a lot of people I don't feel like a lot of artists do that anymore where I care about them outside of their music.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry because you just made me think of this. What is brexit?
Speaker 2: You know? I didn't want to sit him and give them the wrong answer because I don't know, because I'm an easy way to explain to Layman's I think I'm not even trying to get embarrassed because to this day we left it and I don't see what happened. Yes, we left the EU, so we left the Europe. Remember you got your own pound, yeah, yeah, yeah, No, we always had our own power. We never was a part of your But I think it was coming to where we had to join and whoever the powers that be decided know what. Yeah, it's bad. UK is best separately and I don't know if it was or it wasn't. You have to ask someone more into politics. But we left the EU. There was a point now where the bridge possible. I'm going to Spain. I'm going to Everything was fine now it's a bit more of it's a separate rule. It was no orders, no one Union was like, there's certain trade deals that was happening with the UK and England that we came out, but that's all above my pay grade. But I don't know to this day what the benefit was A very random question you're giving me, and I've explained it, and that's as far.
Speaker 1: Because it feels like it's gone back and forth.
Speaker 2: Someone said it's looking like we might go back. I actually don't know, but I'm not big on the politics, so I'm not going to sit here.
Speaker 1: That's why the random shot.
Speaker 4: As many of y'all know, drink Champs wants to give flowers, but people are here to receive them. Giving flowers and celebrating our legends while they can still smell us. We have partnered with What the Flowers to create this movement when everyone can give flowers to the legends in their lives. You can now order a custom flower box to someone you want to show appreciation to you by visiting w w W maybe.
Speaker 2: Artist Okay n w A or Wu Tang Clan Whan We're Tang. Only Ad became more of a lover for n w A when the movie came out. I knew of them before, but my older brother was big on Wu.
Speaker 1: Tang so I was.
Speaker 2: I was a massive method man fan. I love what Rizzard was doing. I love ghost like all that I got is you. I Got You by ghost Face is like my favorite song for like forever. So Whu Tank to me was just like it was just it's just yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Were everything, Okay, Gigs or Skeptic. I like them both. I gotta go with the Holy Gigs man. Oh you went with somebody No no no.
Speaker 2: I love them both though, but Gigs is my guy in it and Gigs is Gigs to me started that gangster year in the UK, and even that's the one like they they.
Speaker 1: Got it cracking. Not to say they weren't people doing it.
Speaker 2: Before, but they made a shift where the UK gangster rap scene became prominent.
Speaker 1: So you're saying Gigs is the godfather of drill music not drill.
Speaker 2: No, No, I feel like I've said it before, but you see what NW a down for for rap, gangster rap.
Speaker 1: That's what S and one the Gigs done for UK rap.
Speaker 4: Yeah what does S as placing them? Yeah big s Yes, old school year. They were the first, the first guys I heard from the.
Speaker 1: UK starting a Rockefellers. Yeah, yeah, they were.
Speaker 2: They were, but I think you know what it was yet not taking nothing away from them, but they were still an American twanging there. So even though they wrapped in our accent, there was an American twanging there that was like we could relate, but not as much as when we started fully rapping in our accent fully and talking about our areas, which is indicative.
Speaker 1: What do you mean when you say twain, Because they were, they were emulating, they were still that's indicative of the era because that's what was happening. It was sounding like New York.
Speaker 3: That doesn't It's kind of like you know when when French Montana kind of signed to the South, you lost me that, you know, remember he signed to.
Speaker 2: Mom So I don't I don't know if he changed his style.
Speaker 1: No, but what I'm what I'm thinking is from the era that they come from.
Speaker 4: New York is the mecca of hip hop, so everyone is emulating place where everything's coming from.
Speaker 2: And they were dope. There was nothing to take away from them. They were super dope. But for example, when the next generation came through, we weren't even trying to be nothing like in the US we're coming out talking about our high streaks.
Speaker 1: Our people are clothing things that you don't like. What's that? What's what's clacking jacks? What you wouldn't It didn't mile because it was just for us.
Speaker 2: And that's when things started changing, where you start picking out your friends and your son.
Speaker 1: So you know, you don't know my.
Speaker 2: Friend Rad, but I'm gonna I'm rapping in the song me and Redo. It's like he's regular. We didn't care because it wasn't for you.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: If you know me and you know my way around, this is what is And I feel like that's what the gigs and and s m one era starting, That's what they began. And that's why I said A doun't as I said, I feel like a lot of people have to walk before someone could run. But the big changes I'm just talking about the changes where the scene really became its own was when people like Gigs and that came through mother.
Speaker 1: Random question, why do you call your sneakers trainers?
Speaker 2: Why do you call yours your training? Sneakers came first the sneaker. I don't understand the sneakers part trainers. We could train in there. Tell me now what sneakers, you're sneaking.
Speaker 1: Up for somebody because term that's.
Speaker 2: Reco Google Google.
Speaker 3: Sneakers mean because that he sucked me up. Okay, the harder, the harder day for or the Book of Claric. No, no, Bro, I'm offensive.
Speaker 2: You know I'm gonna go the Holiday for Okay, Well, I love them both Holiday fool, It's just it. And I'm a big I'm a big believer and I'm a big on God. I love the one is gone and one is like Western. You see when I just see the opening scene the Holiday for when everyone starts getting smoked.
Speaker 1: That was taught me, Bro. I was like, yeah, so that to me, that's my movie, Like Cowboys was out there. That was fine. What what is it? Quiet?
Speaker 2: Okay, well then you go every day cool Central Cy or dig D dig a D. I think Central season doing amazing things. I'm a big fan of what he's achieved. But is my Gama, you know what I'm saying, Like, I'm very much Diggers in my show. That's my cast man, but my cost my kids, So yeah, big, bigger, But I love them. They're both great. New Jack City or King of New York.
Speaker 1: New Jack City, New Jack City to me, was I still you referenced it?
Speaker 2: Like I'm writing the movie right now and I'm using New Jack City as a big reference because see way Wesley played Nino Brown, it was just a game changer. He's coming into the club and he's dancing, but then he's killing you. He wasn't you know, the whole gangster fingure you have to be cool when you have to be Nah, Nino Brown was that guy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, New Jack say for me, Okay, top boys, shout us. Twere somewhere like your londonness. That's how you do it, Boris somewhere, Yeah like that.
Speaker 6: What did you do?
Speaker 1: He was like this, like like that because I don't know to pronounce for damnson Idris.
Speaker 2: That both my guys, But let's go with the original. Or he started first and that's gonna be Adris. Yeah, but when you know, we'll just tell you something. When he got done doing the wire and.
Speaker 1: I heard him talk, I was like, yeah, I know, I didn't. We didn't even know he was. We didn't. Well me, I can't talk for everybody, but a lot of people that I know. He didn't know. Idris Elbaw was British. When we watched The Wire. We did not know that was a Bridge man.
Speaker 2: We did not know so he was from Baltimore and he was not my favorite character so that he was British. He was like, I don't think that would adompton injuries that you would take seriously if you want to respect, I'm sying that will probably tell you the same. We we look up to Indians as the big homie because of where you're done from. But I'm gonna tell you something. It was like he held that accent until why it was.
Speaker 1: Over, and then.
Speaker 4: It's I don't think you even do a lot of pressing it. Yeah, yeah, let's be honest. I don't think we can do it good going that way. I think only the British actors can do it good.
Speaker 2: Him say, it's coming minding changing, Yeah, change.
Speaker 1: I could you not? I could you not eat? You go home tonight.
Speaker 3: You're gonna watch this and you're gonna run around. Hey, bro, I'm telling you. When I was watching Talk, I heard him saying it. I heard him saying and he said, he said, it starts as a joke and then you start to do it. You start doing it.
Speaker 1: That's the way everything starts.
Speaker 2: That's how it starts, because you're saying it shows a lot this keep them coming, that you'll keeping in durt and keeping watching. Five to ten years, the access from the US will be taking the UK jobs. There's Alreadio a movie called Empire Light out now and starts my friend Michael warding here there's the girl that plays his girlfriend. She sounds as British as me. Come to find out she's as American as you, guys. And so it's starting to happen. It's starting to happen.
Speaker 1: So do you think it's more it's having it's like a lack of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you haven't heard enough of us. You still feel you still think we took that we're in Downton Abbey. But when you start watching Top Boy and Supercell, yeah, you start realizing what you wait a minute, I can.
Speaker 1: Replicate that voice a bit more and you can see them saying, so you just haven't seen it, and we've been normalized.
Speaker 2: We've been watching you guys, remember listening to your music, so we hear your west, watching your TV shows and your movies. What we've been hearing is your voice and ours are visually in our face. Since we've been born. But that's that makes sense. That's what makes this so dope.
Speaker 3: It's like what I was saying in the intro is like, you know, hip hop went from you know, East Coast to the south listening to order you know, West Coast, and then it went across the pond. And this series compliments the music that you guys are doing in the car miss.
Speaker 1: The whole scene.
Speaker 3: On one hand, it makes everyone say I want to go to London, and then another hand, it's like I gotta be careful when I get there because you was go see shirt Lock Holmes, he man, Man, it's a dude, n shirlock. You know what I'm saying, Like, yeah, so it's it's great.
Speaker 1: I come on, let's moves move. But okay, jay Z or nasty nods?
Speaker 2: Oh my, okay are we talking now? We took him before. We might as well take a shot when you when you start answering that, I'll take a short on that because that to me, that's that's a tough one. That's a tough one. Okay, Okay, Well I'm going my love. I've never met nas big fan thatster Fin hopefully one down Me and jay Z.
Speaker 1: That's my guy.
Speaker 2: Man, got not love for him. He's nothing more positive. Any time I run into Hims.
Speaker 1: Got me in his home. So jay Z jay Z man, you know what I'm saying. Nah, And he got your back, man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: We just understanding how they operate and how they move, like you know, for me to get a call, you know what I mean, And like.
Speaker 1: I was just like they got your back, They got your back. What I'm trying to say is they got to be back.
Speaker 3: And I mean, you know what to see Rockefeller unfold and keep continuing.
Speaker 1: I mean rock Nation.
Speaker 3: Excuse me because I was a part of Violet, the management, the legendary thing, and then after the volt.
Speaker 1: That disappeared, there was not a compliment that.
Speaker 3: And you know, an artist such as yourself, you know, sometimes you don't want to say I'm the illest guy in the room.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you want somebody else to say that for you. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It makes you look even ill, and especially when that guy is supposed to be the laugh yeah, for lack of a better term, the top dog than the top boy, but the top dog. That's just it makes that room easier for you to navigate it. You know what, I'm saying, so I congratulate you. I graduated and you have a relationships because that's that's that's a very good relationship.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, that my people. Man, don't let my people. So, yeah, you want to do the next one? Wow, you can't do it. I can't pronounce their last name.
Speaker 1: Jason Steam or Daniel or Daniel Craig, Daniel.
Speaker 7: Stay Fan, Jason, Jada Kiss or Big Daddy k Jady Kiss. J was my guy growing up Rockefeller rough Riders. You can take your drinkers, let me. He was the next one where we are Tom Hardy or Daniel day Lewis.
Speaker 2: Daniel d Lewis, snow or Power Snowfall because the damnse not not even Damson Damson. Yeah, you can't separate them. Dampson falls snow Damson body did. Snowfall was actually very very well written. It was.
Speaker 1: It was very well written and Damson.
Speaker 2: There was a bad season they had the first season it grew into what it was that that was, but used the last two seasons you started watching it knowing that you know, Damnson, You're just watching it like I just need to know what's going to happen to him?
Speaker 1: Why so hope. Hopefully you don't do me like my friend John Singleton did me one time. I said one time. And he was a big inspiration to my as well. He lived on the block of me before and so you know we had him on drinking Champs. Man.
Speaker 2: I used to just with them all the time, knowing that he wouldn't give me this role. And I would be like, yo, they'll put me on Snowfall. He would look at me and say, you will never be a snow Fall. Your New York accident is too.
Speaker 1: You could never play a West Coast guy. And I'm like, damn, bro, But that's he could have made someone from the New York coming. That's what I'm about to say, you know, and super cil to you know. I mean, you know, if we bring it to.
Speaker 2: Moves, you know what I'm saying that that's what happens more common than you up with thinks, you know, like ties in London.
Speaker 1: You know he was okay, he sounds so you.
Speaker 3: Know like I'm because you know, remember the Wire they had Nobody and then second season they had Fred Row, they had such and such. Let's let's think of rappers you think will fit in second season? I say, Buster rhymes. How and then if we go and if we take it to the States, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, no, buster him play don Okay, yeah he got he got the couldn't play that. I would make him a villain, a villain.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna tell you what else you got down pack that was like so unique to the to like the island people that get together.
Speaker 1: You know what you was doing and the sound effects. That's that is. So that's that is. Yeah, that's culture mine. That's when you hear mane. He's just respectful. He is not a nice person.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the problem. That's how we're talking. Yeah, that's the next one. I take it Boys in the Hood or Ministers Society? Oh man right, get my shirt.
Speaker 2: When I was younger, it was menace because I just was under you saw that first? No, I saw them, I saw I think I saw Boys the Hood first. I mean that's the first one. When I was younger, I wasn't here for politics and lessons. I just want to see the smoke.
Speaker 1: So maybe it's a society. To me was the indess movie. But then when I got older and I watched.
Speaker 2: Boys in the Hood, I'm there with Lauren spishburn. I'm hearing his knowledge and I'm respecting what he's doing, and I respect the layers in the movie. So a younger man is thing older. So if I have to choose now, so if you.
Speaker 1: I was gonna have to drink drink.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and I'm bouncing around a little bit. Why we didn't have a doctor umar character and.
Speaker 1: Supersell when he said to character, what would you wanted to be doing?
Speaker 2: Like I wanted him to come down and say, brothers, you gotta you gotta control your powers.
Speaker 1: Off the seasons. We might be able to animate for that, but you never know. He's becoming a consultant.
Speaker 3: By the way, and I'm not saying this, he's here, by the way, there's no way to make the show even better. It's just it's just this show is actually, like I actually looked at it sometimes, like how I listen to a person's album before they come here and I want to critique them. I want to say, you know this, this, this, this, and that the show is and it's crazy because it starts all slow.
Speaker 1: Everyone says that you know, how.
Speaker 2: About mind slow furness from this as long as you're giving me information, But you see at other black community.
Speaker 1: They're not here for that. This thing slow much this man, I'm just not bro give it. An I'm reading these comments on Twitter. They don't see me. I'm just like yo, I was like, bro get give it. Yeah, you know it is. That's my way of storytelling.
Speaker 2: I think it's worse if an episode starts off episode two by it goes along and then you you said the tone, and then you got to keep it exactly. So we started it's a staircase, So you're wanna watch when I think I was now talking that took You're gonna get the second Okay, how do you get to see You're just thinking, oh, what did I just go through?
Speaker 1: You feel like you went through a journey. So you know, it's the crazy thing.
Speaker 3: I bet you those people that was complaining this, people have never been in London because you were showing the area.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it was. It was establishment, like we.
Speaker 2: Were establishing the characters that you have to do in any pilot episode of a show. But we wanted to show London in this how it is. You know, that was a real reflection South, and the South hasn't been on screen like that, so we have to take our time with him.
Speaker 1: But I thought that was so dope. You with the next one l A in Miami la directing or Ryman directing. I knew he's gonna pick that Forell or Kanye Kanye Podcast radio.
Speaker 2: You know, honest, I don't actually listen to I don't watch procasts unless I know I don't know. I don't like whatever you see when I know who the guest is. That's what I'm tuning in. Remember, in my line of work, I need something coming in the background. This is a visual pro cart. You can't get the food entertainment unless you're watching it. So it's like, so I can't do it because I'm always writing. So I would say radio, I can have it in the background and I can still get to work.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh. Michael B. Jordan's or Jonathan Majors, Michael B. Scar Face or Ice Cube as Cube slick Rick or Biggie Small Biggie Smons Bigger slipric though he put London on, Yeah, you put London on differently like crazy.
Speaker 1: He was like the first cemony and he was a storyteller. Yeah, yeah, he was called he might he might your storyteller. Mike from a long line. Yeah, he might have, he might have been inspired from him. But Biggie as a storyteller.
Speaker 2: To me, as an actual rapper, if rapping was an Olympic sport, just on the rapping, I think big is the best me personally. Like still to this day, people don't know who Biggy was talking about on a story to tell he heard all kinds of people, all types of but I think that you don't think it was just general.
Speaker 1: I think it was just general. But you know what I like.
Speaker 2: I like the mystique of the rumor because when I saw his mom doing interviews, she was saying that we didn't live in a one bes shack, we didn't do this, so yeah, maybe well you know she did have cancer.
Speaker 1: No that I'm not the cancer, you know what, big what I'm saying because I heard maybe maybe she was. She wasn't. I don't know, but if she made that lie, so.
Speaker 3: It was just right, all right, this is no no, no, I won't even say that. The last one for this then we give it back into the interview. Loyalty or respect.
Speaker 2: Loyalty Okay, Like I feel like if someone's with you and they're there for you, it don't even matters that person don't respect you, because that person that's loyalty doesn't it. It'sould about who the layery comes from and who the respect comes from. I don't need the respect from people I don't care about. The people I want lawyer are the people. Will you know that respect comes up as part of the package.
Speaker 1: I respect that take a shot. Take a shot to that. I want to take a shot. You think I don't need to do that. Now this is me being generic. Thank you. You wouldn't take a job just based off the money.
Speaker 2: The character, and it can't just leave the money because the money is going to come with your doing great.
Speaker 1: I feel that greatness comes with money in it.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to be great so I know when I reach my pinnacles, all the money that I always want I will get. But you do one something that's whack, that could be your last money, know what I'm saying, That might be your last you know. So I'm here for the long run, and I think people always think short term, whereas I want a long, a long career making for a long time. So for me to do that, every project has to make you want to see more.
Speaker 1: You know, Let's break down some learning slang right now. First, my favorite bro you call brom slang to me saying bro, Yeah, that's what it is because you put it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I even say bro, bro brother.
Speaker 1: I don't even say that though, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: If bro's short for brother, what would brother? Yeah, saying do you say brom? I'm thinking I don't say bro?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's so that's what that means. I noticed.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to ask anyway for the audience, why what is that?
Speaker 1: What's good man? What's going on? Stand on that? Let's set up stand on that's what that's what. That's Jamaica lending them took it, lending took it. I mean, wherever there's lendon took it, you go to any.
Speaker 3: Carter And then but this, this is this is another one that is going to sound Jamaican too.
Speaker 1: You don't know, Come on, but don't know? Did we say you don't know? You not knowing? You're not No, I don't even know. I don't think you've had one. You don't know for the whole seat for so don't lie you ain't had that. You not noticed?
Speaker 2: No way, I can't my cost Yeah, and on my cost of look young. They won't even saying slang word if it does it make sense. So there's no way you knows.
Speaker 1: It not here not Yeah, that's that's definitely that's how we too. Okay, now what it means, because I'd be like hated, like like ship outside today, isn't it like that's matter? I didn't know what that's what mean? You know it's not today. This is crazy, That's what I means.
Speaker 3: So if I land and I'm going to South London, which words that you recommended?
Speaker 2: I know what.
Speaker 1: This bro trying to use words?
Speaker 2: You know you tried to go and say your and he said, but you just get cool that where you from, from where you're from, speak love.
Speaker 1: When you're just speaking with English, bro, you'll be.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, So don't try to don't try to the worst things you know, just to you can talk normal because you know, you don't know you know how people come around with the Jamaican broughts on and they'll be trying to be other than they are, Like, don't do that, no, just be normal man. London is good man, Okay. So who you think runs the majority? Is it Nigerians? Is it Jamaicans is it the most black people are in London? And I'll say it's definitely a strong mix. It depends on the area. Like Pecum used to be a lot more Africans, Lucians was a bit more Jamaicans.
Speaker 1: Brixton was I'll say more cat being bricks in it. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: Is it all still based off of where the colonies were like colonialism?
Speaker 1: Well, well, I can only speak to my parents.
Speaker 2: They came many many years ago, thinking you know, London the safe place and we went straight to We went to a place near Pecking called War Road, Like yeah, yeah, my parents came, so they came down there. Well, it's kind of just where you can get a place, bro Like my parents would get to the council. If they would have told her, listen, we've got a place to you and it's in North London, they would have went North London. It's kind of just wherever you can get housed, you know, because the housing on them days it was, you know, it's wherever the council pushing you go. You know, council could have put us anywhere and that's where we would have rept Is it still so expensive in London? My first time in London. I gave the guy a thousand dollars for seventy five to change the money in the hotel. Hotel exchanging the money, and I was like, I gave him a thousand, he gave me four seventy five.
Speaker 1: I was the smartest person in the world. But he feel like to go to and gets you a thousand. He's like, no, this day, back in the day.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and six two and sent light to come to that New York can just come out to this party and stuff like that. I would give over fis and get two firesand it's something back. So that used to be the good. That's why we used to come over here because our money was double.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: No, London is the most expensive place ever. I don't think it laser as expensive as London when I go to London. When I'm in London, I always think I might the right place, bro because this place is a rip off.
Speaker 1: Is a rippoff. But it's just isn't it.
Speaker 3: With that being said, you know New York real estate are being skyrocketed. It costs more to film movies, la being the movie capital.
Speaker 2: Is it more.
Speaker 1: Expensive to film in London? I know that they've got new taxing centers.
Speaker 2: Now, I think other places have better taxes saying it, but London is becoming a massive film Like the biggest movies that you're seeing now getting shut in London.
Speaker 1: So I'm assuming there must be some sort.
Speaker 2: Of incentives that's making it work because a lot of movies are going to London, like The Stupid When we were filming Super Sol, we were trying to get certain studio spaces and they said, no, Disney is got booked top for this a lot of time, or no they've got for this my time. So everything is just taken. So it's massive in London now the film.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you about the texting centers to get clearity on it, because who benefits who gets that money back? Is it the production the like you yourself, like, who who gets the money back? When it's the texting centerment, they.
Speaker 2: Production company and the networks and the network will getting back.
Speaker 1: So like so part of like recouping our rear the budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so exactly that because so when it goes to the budget that always goes into play.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like, Okay, we've got twenty m.
Speaker 2: To shoot, but if we shoot it here in London, you might we've got twenty five. If you shoot it over there in Atlanta, you've got thirty five. So because you know what you're getting back, same thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it helps. That's why filmmaking it's a big business now.
Speaker 2: A lot of countries are trying to get their taxing centerves involved so people can come and film in places because it's it's always been big business, but now with that Atlanta, it's like the countries arellow, okay, how we need to get our version in place now because it is making a difference. So someone like me, if I want to film somewhere and I'm trying to get the most from my budget, I'm looking for the place that has got the biggest taxing sentive so I can shoot there and get more on the screen.
Speaker 1: And they wanted because it's it's bringing money exact.
Speaker 3: Actually, so the show was like Top Top Boy, the Super soll we got to kind of see the woral London, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have say the other versions, well, but this is outside of London, London, right, and we're getting to see that along with the music.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But I remember, uh me trying not what faded for and at one point I don't know. If you watch character, I did it. I was the guy who put out the.
Speaker 3: Raisers and yeah, yeah, I remember at one point because I had actually went out for a recorder.
Speaker 1: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, did you from I was too fair at that time. They didn't give it to me to give it the camera rightfully, so he deserved.
Speaker 3: But but I remember at one point, ain't them actually going to Canada and I'm filming outskirts because they couldn't make old school New York right?
Speaker 2: So but New York we have fifteen million movies, you know. So a lot of people didn't understand that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes when you look at Payton Fall when they playing the ball and they look the projects look mad.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not even New York, that's Canada. You know what I mean? Magic, bro, We'll be magic.
Speaker 3: But with you now introducing the real part of London, or like you said, that side of London.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: If a movie company came to you and said, yo, I want you to film London. Bridge is going down, but I want you to film it in Poland or on.
Speaker 1: The sound stage. If I can make it look like London. Okay, if I can make it look lot London.
Speaker 2: I don't. Yeah, if I'm not. If I'm telling them, what are you giving to give me green screen today? Are you're gonna give me some sort of c J budget? Or how am I gonna make this lot? I'll do that A lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you remember the beginning of the end of the first episode when you see them in a few Joe ah, yes, and you see like the Piccadilly and all the screens. It's kind of like our version of Times Square. All of that is green screen. We weren't picking, but we couldn't get it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I did not tell ye green screen screen is crazy.
Speaker 2: Is crazy now, So most of the stuff you're watching is probably not actually it. To be honest, I wouldn't. I wouldn't crowd to hold onto that for anything you're watching.
Speaker 1: Really, No, no, you don't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense, wouldn't. It's cheaper elsewhere you can put green screen on and just putting New York in the back job and they got screens that are like like like stack like like bro, my thing was thirty foot two three sixty wide, so we was in the green light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they could do sixty shot.
Speaker 2: So everything on that thirty four is whatever we want that to be. I could make it look like this whole building if you wanted to. So, yeah, I wouldn't be with me, he told me, because I would have betore give to me and been like, yo, superstill has some green school, Like no, it.
Speaker 1: Was, I would have bet that's that's the movies now, Like I couldn't tell none of that.
Speaker 2: You did a great job, so you'll be surprised the films that you are watching that you think you sit here and sit there, but it's really just green screen. There's not really much of a difference, you know. It's honestly. I asked the same question to my SFX guy and they were just like, one's just older and ones just newer. But they both do the same thing. You can put them all on the screen, but green screen is kind of the old school, and sometimes you can screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they do the same thing.
Speaker 3: The people behind the camera, right, the fact that you have an all black cast, does that affect how you who you high up that's behind the camera.
Speaker 2: I wanted this show to be the benchmark for a majority of black productions. It wasn't just in front, like all of our heads of departments were black. The person that show it, they had a costume, they had a mad cup. We got a lot of black hds, and we look for the people in film and TV that was at that level that could get in there because there's I don't think it's good enough just to have everyone in front of the camera be black and then the presentations behind stool will be non black.
Speaker 1: So we went out of the way. And Netflix was cool that they knew.
Speaker 2: Good thing with all the women and me eating their free food, they knew they knew what I wanted to do. You're going to come out and feed me if you're gonna be like they're basically wooing me. You know they were cooting me. If you're going to coot me, don't coote me. And then when you get me, don't treat me like you don't want me.
Speaker 1: Let me do. I doing it.
Speaker 2: So I literally got everything I wanted to do, and I was like yo, every time they'll be putted, like yo, you came to me like okay, you're going to let me wrong with it. So that's why I feel I can laugh. It is good to earn your position rather than Chase Nick. When you chase it, you're going to have to be working at their pace. But when they come to you, you work at your own past.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you could answer this, but if you can't being obviously they funded the whole production, right, and it's your creative You wrote everything, and everything is you?
Speaker 1: You directed it? How is it in perpetuity? I don't own that. You don't I owned zero percent of How that change moving forward?
Speaker 2: If one day Netflix wakeoff and say, you know what, we're giving shows to people?
Speaker 1: Do you want?
Speaker 2: Do you want your show that you created and written? And that's not going to happen. So it doesn't change with Netflix. But that's just Netflix's model, right. I'm not here to complain about it. I knew what I was walking into, Like people have walked away from dells that you would see.
Speaker 1: Do you know McKay cole, who done that? I made Astray?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: That's a show?
Speaker 2: Could I made Astray from a British ride with one loads of film awards and now it was a big show. And so it says that it was written that she turned down a big patchock because she didn't want to go there because she couldn't own anything, and I for that. That was her second TV show, so she she probably saw it was like on her first TV shows. I've probably told herself second time around, I'm not doing that, and she walked away from the deal and then the show became a massive successful it went anyway.
Speaker 1: I wasn't walking away from the deal because that was my.
Speaker 2: First TV show and now opening for you, I'll take this money and if you's gonna keep that one, that's fine.
Speaker 1: I'll make another one.
Speaker 2: You know. I wasn't worried about that. Like cool, use it on Superstar. I know enough to know about me. The show probably wouldn't be the same, so it's cool. But in generally, even if that show is theirs, I can make another show. And now now I know how it goes, now goes next time round, I'm going to be trying to go into my own ship back with it. You know, are we trying to stick with series or we're going to go onto the feature films?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I'm going into moods. Bro I fell into TV by accident when I was writing super so it wasn't meant.
Speaker 1: To be TV. But I'm at two hundred pages. I'm like, yeah, this is the Yeah. Now, I didn't want to do TV. I wasn't. I wasn't.
Speaker 2: It just felt like for me to go down as one of the great. When you think of all the great filmmakers, you're not thinking of no TV shows. Like you mentioned, like, who's your favorite filmmaker? If you've got any director, he's your favorite filmmaker. Oh man, that's a good one. You could just be anybody who's one of your favorites. I evenough to be your best Larry David or what TV show did Larry David do?
Speaker 1: Enthusiasm? Ah to you? You one off? That's right off? But TV specific, TV TV different.
Speaker 2: You might to direct, Okay, okay, okay, most men I can't think TV. Most men are not because you don't even know who the directors the TV are. You know that you like this show, but you don't know who created it, because it's not even the director I show. What makes the TV show is not the director.
Speaker 1: They add to it.
Speaker 2: They're very vital, but it's the person that creates it, the person that had the idea for Game of France, for the Wire, for Breaking Back.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they got multiple directors on the EISO.
Speaker 2: I directed Free and my other I had another director.
Speaker 1: I love how everything it says and created, but I needed to be clear. It needed to be clear still because I didn't come in from TV.
Speaker 2: If you're watching this TV, this ain't going to be that TV. I don't know who made, who was riding some franals, who was directed? No, no, no, you're gonna think superent. You're gonn figure that man. So now when I'm trying to go and do a movie, that's my currency now, souse.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to do movies more.
Speaker 2: I've got another I've got seasons of super Cell in my head, and I've got another TV show I want to do. But I really want to go back to movies. And that's mainly because I would in a fact, it comes with that prestige. I just love watching my work about live audience. So the best you get to that, you get the premiers, But then you have to go on Twitter and see what people are saying. I want to sit in the room with you and hear you laugh at the joke, you cry at their emotion, and you don't. You just don't get that with TV man, And that's why I want to go back and do some movies, but I still want my show to be going.
Speaker 8: For you to get that titling, you go on Twitter negative hard, so hard not to bron but I.
Speaker 1: Never know. I try so hard not to, but you don't. Just want to know what people is the best place for that one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: If you want to know what people think about drink childs, yes, we see, but you know and why steep though, Like it makes you think are you damaged? Because I will read a thousand positive messages telling me how great with me?
Speaker 1: It's like that in your ears. Tell you that and you want to hit him back mean while everyone else is saying is great.
Speaker 4: But you know what do we care about the negative? When you're saying so much loss? That shows you the power negativity. Man, You know what I heard, and it's crazy. They said real artists love to be abused.
Speaker 1: I don't have to be abused.
Speaker 2: I don't love to be but I recognized that, my my, you know, I recognize when I'm in that area.
Speaker 4: Real artists are sensitive and the egos are sensitively.
Speaker 2: I could get sensitive with negativity because I've just seen there's ways to say it, like if I didn't last something. I don't need to play it down. I can just tell you what I did, Like there's way so I did get a sense with it, but I need.
Speaker 1: To start doing it. I don't think it's healthy, man.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's healthy to go on there, especially when there's trolls on there that they're not even really real people.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody loves something you have. There's there's people out there that their job is to go against it, you know, so then you see the negative and you start thinking, oh, man, like it's deal, So I need to start doing that.
Speaker 1: Though. You can post a picture of a baby, everybody like she's so cute.
Speaker 2: There's some nigga named Hacksaw Jim thirty four, it's like fuck that.
Speaker 1: Baby, Yeah, And then it's just like.
Speaker 2: That human nature some of us, like I think that's the only time they get attention on the day. I feel that the only time they shine, the only time they looked outside of their regular job, where they feel like if they get that top comment on the blood page or that top comment on loads of lamps on their Twitter page, that's their win.
Speaker 3: Social media, not in real life, but social media kind of made everybody on the same level.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to.
Speaker 2: Me because you read the message. Once you read the message, you're in the world.
Speaker 1: But there's also AI bots that just troll.
Speaker 2: What about that show now, especially somebody have to set the box onto someone's an asshole enough that a.
Speaker 4: Tech guy says, Okay, I'm a dick and I just want to be a dick to the world, and they find keywords to go and to be back.
Speaker 1: To you just to troll. That's crazy. That's crazy. I never engaged in it though, so I'll just leave it. But it is what it is. No, but I wanted to ask you, did you how much did you have to fight for your titling? Oh? No, no at all. You know, not a tool.
Speaker 2: I can't even really talk bout on Netflix because say that. See when you watch the show today with everything you love about it, I can put my hands up and say that's me and think you for Nah, it's not that I have to put my hands up saying bro, that was me because they let me run. And I think it was only because, as I said, they pursued me and my vision for it was so clear, and we're talking about a world that they're not familiar with. That South London world is very specific, so.
Speaker 1: You can't even criticize it.
Speaker 2: It was hard to say, and I'm like, no, that's what they would say, that's what they would do, so they kind of let me.
Speaker 1: Does go with it. Man.
Speaker 2: But the Titland, I remember there was, so there was the Titland. Creative written by are usually on the same cards, you know, like if you got creative written by on the first episode, you don't need to have it everywhere else.
Speaker 1: So I remember one time.
Speaker 2: One of the team I'm not going to say it was, was like, you know, raps, you know, you've got it on the front card, so you don't really need it on the next two cards. I was like, I know, so should we take off? And said no, I said, don't know, I'm not taking off. I wanted it to be every card that you could get. Separate written by director, created by separate, just so you know, you know who I saw do it like?
Speaker 1: And she shown the rams on Queen Charlotte.
Speaker 2: She got a bridging show and she remember she don't she produces the Bridge and but she don't write them. But she wrote this particular one, this spinoff, Yeah, which I could bet you were the first person to do that too. I would have lost too best I would I would have done it anyway. But it Yeah, yeah, this show was probably it probably wasn't yours to watch, but I watched it because I watch everything. But I saw written by shond the Rams great. I was like, Okay, I see what you didn't shounder Netflix.
Speaker 1: I forget that. Why not if you've done it, it's not like a light I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah by all means. And you were in one scene in the movie and a series.
Speaker 1: My little Stanley Carrier, which wasn't mine.
Speaker 2: I originally wasn't on it, but my director, the direct episode, was really pushing on it. I said, you know what's in the club when he disappears and he goes back?
Speaker 1: And you're like, I think you said right there? Probably you did you see that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like my little little homage to Stanley, because you know Marvel Mavie Stanley. Yeah, my little homage to it. And I thought that was pretty cool. It wasn't my dea you should do that, but I didn't like it.
Speaker 3: You should you should do that because I could tell you attached to this project. I could tell, like, this project is your baby. So I don't know if we spoke about this earlier, but maybe we did, and maybe we did. We said we're going to features films and we said, uh, let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: No, no, let me ask you this. This is what I meant to ask earlier. Could you film all white cats?
Speaker 1: I could, but at this part in my life I won't.
Speaker 2: Now, I thought that my position now is to give black actors a chance staying with yeah. Yeah, it's just there's just not every ten movies over all white cars. So a non black there's one, you know, which is best work for this for black actors happened to fly over over here to get work? I think the wrong My thing now, it kind of it just has to be a black league. I don't mind if everybody else around him is white at the more man if I car, but the story that we're following, the main person has to be black for me at the moment, at this stage in my career. I'm not saying it might not change ten years from now, but I feel like you see when you watch.
Speaker 1: The spight Lee movie, you know you you know, you know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 2: You know, he's there to uplift the community, and I'm inspired by what's Splaightley done.
Speaker 1: You know, I think he came out of the gate. So he did like a white movie though he did did he do?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Come on? Come on? He did like a white movie or a white series of I haven't seen it. And if it was, how long it was? I mean it was series. I don't take a was the lead black though?
Speaker 2: I don't know if number one of the cool she's black and everyone around the person is not black, that's that's that's that's to me, It's still the.
Speaker 1: Same thing because because then that what that does.
Speaker 2: It shows that you can be black and lead a movie, which means that now other black opportunities off that as well. But what I did with the main white lead? Would I be tempting this? Someone said, lean On DiCaprio, Robert and Nero this, of course I would be. But they're not gonna be like, how can I sneak? So we'll say I'm going to be like, yeah, no, no, commercial, don't play about commercial, bron I'll get back to I figured it out.
Speaker 1: I forget what it was.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was a consultant on something, maybe that, but that it says something hbs him.
Speaker 1: I don't think yeah, being a consultant.
Speaker 2: Just want to think an that you know, but he was actual name has written don I don't think I've seen I haven't seen anything that comes back.
Speaker 1: But could you tell the whole New York story? He's the movie I just wrote was based on the Hold of New York. Wow. Yeah. I can't say too much about it.
Speaker 2: But it's a sixth story and it's setting you, and it's said you in the nineteen seventies actually as well.
Speaker 1: Seven easy. I can write story in any time. I was going seventy seven, just in case you're going you want to throw Yeah, you can do New York.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, So I don't my about where it's set. It's just I just need to understand the story and the characters. If I understand the person's motivation and you know his aspirations, his weaknesses, I can tell the story.
Speaker 1: Goddamn.
Speaker 4: Is there a creative like process you go through to come up with stories? Is there anything that inspires you? Is amused to you?
Speaker 1: I have to watch everything.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, but you see, if you tell me there's a show that's cold, I will watch it and.
Speaker 1: It might not even be my cup of tea. But I need to know what got you so excited about it?
Speaker 2: Right, So because someone if you got excited about it, there's probably thousands of other people that are excited about that same thing. So what can I take from there to add to my game? To see what people are into? Because you that's the only way you stay comming.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I never got a chance to go film school any of these places. It was just me relentlessly watching film and TV learning how to do I'll do. So if I'm writing a gangster movie, I will watch every single gangster movie. I would find the list of the ten greatest gangs movies of all time, and I would watch them all back to back before I start, right because I need to see what did everybody love about all of these movies? And now I need to go in with my take on what you know. So that's kind of my process that makes sense about reality shows.
Speaker 1: Nah, it's not my bag, mind, it's just not my bag.
Speaker 2: I think big of everyone that's made of living off of it, and it's doing well for me, But I just don't watch them.
Speaker 1: It's just not it's not even reality.
Speaker 2: It's a scripture. Now, now I remember back in the day when Big Brothers first came out in the UK, Yeah, the UK.
Speaker 1: Out here Bro Big Brother came out.
Speaker 2: I was young at the time, but that was the real world, real world now, I think big Brother Brother, Big Brother.
Speaker 1: Big Brother and that came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I watched that and it was crazy because that was a real reality show because.
Speaker 1: They didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Okay at the time, if someone has sex, you get fifty grand. If you do something sneaky, you get this.
Speaker 1: No one knew this. Yeah, yeah, that was the rule with Big Brother really yeah, yeah, say you get money. But remember the contestants don't know this. Okay, they don't know this.
Speaker 2: So there was a villain in the show, but it was a real villain, like he was doing sneaky things, like he'll go up to you and say, yeah, man, I don't I don't really feel him.
Speaker 1: And they got up to you and say, yeah, what do you if you can know? Just this was a real two faced guy. I'm watching this like it's just real. People actually like this and I'm never thinking, nah, this is actually crazy ye e TV. And I was a fan of that.
Speaker 2: Season two came out and then it's like the rule they watched the season once, so everyone knew because you know, if we have sex with the mind, so they're trying to have sex doing the sneakiness. You got mad deals when he came out, and you got loads of I'm hosting gigs, so that everyone in the next season was trying to do that, and I was like, no, it's not real nor more like when it was pure and nobody knew. You was actually just watching normal people doing what normal people do. After that, when I started seeing clips of other stuff, I was like, he's the thing what she was doing.
Speaker 1: She was the thing what she was doing.
Speaker 2: So I kind of had a sour taste my myth for reality TV because I know it's I know what the aim is.
Speaker 1: The aim is for everyone to come out. You want to have a career when you come out.
Speaker 2: So I feel like your guy on putting on a role, which is fine, but just telling me, I'm watching the scripture TV shows killing me.
Speaker 1: It's reality, so I kind of it's just not my back. And that's how the real world.
Speaker 4: It started out pretty real, and then after people saw it, then people started manipulating themselves.
Speaker 2: On Yeah, that's why you watch the first things of these things. You see the difference on how things were. One, if you got a chance to do the London version of Harlem Knights, I love Hall of Nance, I love I would do that in a heartbeat.
Speaker 3: But what I mean by that is, like, you know how hallm Nights is every There's nobody that's like that's not a star.
Speaker 2: Like everybody everybody started time. I watched the recognized Everybody with somebody Richard Star, but the main the main cast, the main start time. But even even to B and C, why people work somebody people coming up, But I'm talking about the main cast.
Speaker 1: The main cast. I love that movie. If you were to do that, but the London version or the UK version.
Speaker 2: I would do something like that, But later on in the day in my career, because they're already popping. If I say everybody was a star, let me get someone, Let me get some new If I could get some new faces in there along these stars, I would do it.
Speaker 1: But I'm big on giving new talent of chance.
Speaker 2: You know, when I was coming through, I was always wishing someone would put me on there, and I don't think it was I actually don't think anybody can put you on. I think you have to put yourself on. But I was always hoping somebody would. Nobody ever did so with me. Now when I even put people on, they're not just people who are walking on the street and I'm like, you do you want to be in the movie.
Speaker 1: It's not like that. It's people that I see their.
Speaker 2: Poston skits on their tiptop every single day, playing the dad, the mom, the brother.
Speaker 1: I'm not this guy can act. I'm an audition. You know.
Speaker 2: Maybe we take it from here today to so so I would rather have some of knows in there than have a full known cost.
Speaker 1: But I would I would do it as long as I can throw some new new guys in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love to see that harlum Nation. You know, I ain't even thought about that movie for a long time, but I did love it, especially when she's fighting, when she's fighting Eddie Murphy and and and she punches him up.
Speaker 1: That was dope.
Speaker 3: Man, Go back and watch how about Seinfeld because si Feld is is the opposite side.
Speaker 1: Only got one black dude in there.
Speaker 2: The same with friends, friends had like every someone every other, so never with friends. See, I wasn't rocking with Sinfield, but I rocked with Friends, neither of them. I was a big Friends fan. Sinfield never really held me, but I did love Friends, okay, but I saw I saw what people like to Seinfeld, but I was a more Friends guy. But both all of them shows in them days was ninety nine percent white casts. How about Supercell. We're gonna make this animated series? You got caol Netflix, bro. I even I think there could be, but again, you know, it's down to them. I can always pitch it, but it's down to them. That when I was in Vegas not too long ago and I saw the Stranger Things store, massive store, sanor Things, I was dope serious.
Speaker 1: And I remember saying, that's the dream.
Speaker 2: You know, that's super Cell store big like that in Vegas just wherever where people are just going in and coming out of Stranger.
Speaker 1: F T shirts like like it, you know, like it's Gucci product.
Speaker 2: That's how they feel with it. And I'm like, you've got a show like that. It's a no brainer. It's the Duffel brothers who do Stranger Things, winn into Netflix said what they want to do comic books. They're gonna buy the handoff because they've won. So I'm not in a rush in the process. I think, you know, give me two, three, four seasons?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not? Let's go.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna tell you something. I went to go see Black Panther, right, I remember me me crying after the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not maybe because.
Speaker 3: The movie warranted me to cry, but because me seeing my people held in such a high standard, and then like having a whole like we start calling like us with Conda, like we were condo motherfucker, like right right, and then the second one prowd And then I remember not feeling that feeling again for a long time.
Speaker 2: And then Bob Marley's movie came.
Speaker 1: Out, One Lovetop Kingsley, and it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Like the superhero part of of Bob Marty. It was the normal part of Bob Marty that made me feel.
Speaker 2: That same exact thing, right, the same exact love, like, same exact passion of me seeing my people on screen and then being a superhero. I haven't had that feeling since until I've seen Super cell.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I'm not.
Speaker 3: And it's like I watched it and I was just like because and to me, this was even more relatable because a lot of us don't know our superpowers.
Speaker 1: A lot of us are.
Speaker 3: Superhero hundred and don't know our actual superpower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after we will have a genius stability in us and we just have to unlook it. It's kind of like if you don't give being a sin Sainia a tennis, then we don't know. You know, you don't give j a microphone, you don't know. You know, you don't put Lewis behind the stand. Well, you don't know. So we just need to be put in our position and then our superpower activates.
Speaker 3: Well, because that's what I feel like. I feel like most of us is great. We just don't know. We don't know how to pull up the Spider Man. We don't know how to do our eyes like this. I gotta watchau.
Speaker 1: Super don't get too much. It is dope. I've been doing it all day and that doesn't work for me.
Speaker 3: I get Super Sun, but I s would have got I'm not guessing you not.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's a certain proudness comes across on the screen, and I'll tell you the truth. It's gonna sound a little crazy.
Speaker 2: I get that certain I get that same proudness when I watched the Wire Like, I get that same problems when I watch something that that that that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Have that balance, but this has a perfect balance. Yeah, a brother.
Speaker 2: Was trying to save his girl, and in order to save his girl, he got to get together with four individuals that he does.
Speaker 1: Not know, no, don't even know where they are, don't know where.
Speaker 2: They are just and they also I don't want to say gagsters, but they also.
Speaker 1: Like tougher than him, more than he's been and.
Speaker 3: He's the one who can see in the future. So it always makes me feel like that, Like, you know, God bless me for going so deep. But like Malcolm X saw the future, woke about the future. He was like, yo, I see a world where everyone gets along. Holy shit, Malcolm or Martin Man had the dream Malcolm. After Malcolm went to Mecca, he said he saw a world where al Muslims.
Speaker 2: But Mary was saying that from the beginning, Yeah, yeah, you can put them both on the same level.
Speaker 1: A character.
Speaker 3: And when he came back from Mecca, that's he was saying that exactly. There's a character in the movie. I don't even want to say his names. I want you to figure it out for your own. But he sees into the future and sometimes seeing it into the future is not good and you don't want to break that to to like you know what I'm saying. So like I just felt like that ship was just so genius because it was like there's characters that I can relate to, but then their powers, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh I wish I had that. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: See, I wouldn't want to be able to see the future though, yeah, I wouldnt want now.
Speaker 1: I don't mind going back to the pass.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't made it to go to the future because if you if you go into the future and you find out that day you're going to do that much, how can you enjoy anything today?
Speaker 1: You can't really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: You might think your party and yolo until this day, coss, but that's just on your back of your head forever. So I don't want to know the future. You don't want to go to the future and see that dream child and say hey no more. You know that's the time you're just thinking whatever I've done, What did I do in this path to make this go away? So you just you don't want to know the future. So like that's what that's why I love the show, because he goes there and he doesn't burden her with this.
Speaker 1: And you know, I see some trolls like why did he just tell her? Why did he just tell him? Like but killing he's crying, you see, he's killing to die. You've just killed me, kill this. I don't want to know this now. I can't.
Speaker 2: There's nothing I can do before then I can actually generally be happy. Nothing means nothing now. So that's why that's why I personally love about the show. And I think if you watch it with that lens of really seeing the layers of it, you see why, like your confidences are been so nice to head to the other people have said similar things because when you watch it, you start seeing the legs you think, this is actually deep, man, this is actually this means this, and that means that there is so many even meanings I didn't do on purpose, because how I think is a writing as a man. I'm writing things with my subconscious in there, so I'm doing things. So that's probably why you're picking up for certain things as well.
Speaker 3: Right, And and that's why I want to see the future because I'm not gonna blue to blow it up. But like the part too when he's saying, you know, I'm gonna go back and I'm gonna figure out this. I'm gonna figure about this, and I'm gonna figure about that. And it was just like it just set it up for me to just be like, damn, my motherfucker, like I wanted the season too, like right then and there. If I would have had to buy season two right then and there.
Speaker 1: I feel like everyone would have, you know. I think I would have, like everybody would have, you know, but we've done that.
Speaker 2: I undered it a lot that because the one thing I'm gonna say, I want to leave people want it more.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: There was times it wasn't going to end that way and I was like, nah, this is just this is gonna make people more and this you know something, we can get the season two and we can expand it.
Speaker 1: Right. Do you think.
Speaker 2: Do you think black people appreciate it as much as you catered to black people. I think I think the black community showed out that our numbers went crazy because of the black community.
Speaker 1: Was number one, was the number one for the last two weeks.
Speaker 2: We just yeah, so and that was interally because black people spreading the work, going into work, telling their their counterparts that work you know, have you seen this?
Speaker 1: Have you seen that line?
Speaker 2: They showed that I can't even have I've got not one bit of anger for the black community. Even the people that are online trolling it, they understand that when they're going on Twitter and trolling and they're starting a conversation with someone watch anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when they don't get that.
Speaker 2: They think they're pulling it down, when they don't know, they're making more people watch.
Speaker 1: So it really the day really came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, there's a superhero in Queens. The Joker even come from the Bronx. Batman come from Got Them City, which is New York. The Man come from Queen is meant to be New York, is it or Chicago? Colfin was meant to be based on New York. Yeah. Then they went across the pond and got superheroes. Miami, I mean, got ship we.
Speaker 1: Need to figure out. I just realized that that that Miami ain't got man.
Speaker 2: You're gonna go Miami, bro, you got to I said, we got the cocaine Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but to was fake, so we need like not none of the superheroes are huh No.
Speaker 4: But Tony Mont was based on real I know that collection of people, which is a Cocaine cowboy era.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So would you do a superhero story in Miami, I'll do that. That Cocaine and Flies, I mean.
Speaker 1: The second part.
Speaker 2: I definitely, I definitely went to the story in Miami said I was gonna shoot at me be Miami just before COVID came and watched Their Way. So Miami is the whole capital people want to come in. But I think knowing is we're not familiar with the rough part. We think of Miami.
Speaker 1: We think of the Yeah, you know, it's like it's like London.
Speaker 2: You feel.
Speaker 4: I feel like the struggles they showed me South Beach and South Beach. Yeah, Mia, Miami, you know, walk to Miami just America like you be a good.
Speaker 2: Story to tell, though, lot, this is the Miami that most people know. Then you see the South Beach, but this is the real Then you go into the hood of it. Would watched that.
Speaker 4: Movie, watched Cocaine Cowboys the documentary, I've seen a lot of that probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's a big part of Miami. But there's a lot more to Miami.
Speaker 3: Man, so so and the scope comes to you, excuse me, Universal comes to you and says, right, man, you got a choice the one video for one of our artists Universal now, Kendrick Lamar or Drake.
Speaker 1: I like how you said that up Kilty.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm doing I mean personally, I'm doing it for Kendrick right now. Okay, I would do it for Kendrew right now. Lie, but your accent is more like Drake's.
Speaker 1: I love taking wrong, you.
Speaker 2: Love takings wrong. But if you're I'm a business mine right now. I feel like the smart business is on. Yeah, yeah, for sure, I wasn't ready. I feel like Kendricks where you put your money right now.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie. You got a little bit of your malleable rum left taking the left big Yeah, we're bigging you up. Man, I take a little bit.
Speaker 1: I want to jerk like that. Man. I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm really really proud of you.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud of thank you, you know, rock Nation for seeing your vision appreciate them on and yourself, you know, for seeing.
Speaker 1: You and James.
Speaker 3: Very strong minded black individuals doing black things with black cast And by the way, God bless me for saying it this way and saying it like this. A lot of people always say support black, and then sometimes the quality of that black product isn't up.
Speaker 1: To park, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: If there's if there's a black Findy, I'm gonna support the black Findy way more.
Speaker 1: But I don't want to, you know, you don't want to have a lesser credity problem. And that's why I commend you.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I was trying to critique you, like in a good way, like just to be like, yo, let me, let me just find some flaws in this, you know, and I just couldn't because it's really put together, and I knew the way told me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say it was was this time for you and the worst if Tied.
Speaker 3: Didn't say, you know what, I started to watch it. Yeah before that, I remember. I remember it was slow and I didn't catch it because it kept being number one on my chip. So I just kept looking and I was like, all right, cool. And then when said that to me, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, this is hard. This is what I saw already.
Speaker 3: And then me and my wife we went we watched it, and then we watched this again today and I was just like, holy shit, man, Like I said, if I was a young dude from the hood that didn't have this, this career, didn't have this. That's that's something I would look at for inspiration.
Speaker 2: Now I've been getting a lot of that, and I appreciate that mine. It has made people who a lot of people reach out. He was just like, you know, I've never fought by acting before, but I want to be something like this or kind of how do I make something like this?
Speaker 1: Is it? It has really uplifted a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Man, just to see people who look like cost doing things like that and just seeing it getting taken in by the world.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it was just needed mine. Now I think it was. It was it was the right time. And one thing that was genius about it was you didn't label it.
Speaker 3: He sees it episode one, episode two, you named it the names of the characters, so you fall in love with the actual.
Speaker 1: I was like, YO, surprised what that does to you? I don't know what. Wait.
Speaker 2: You see when you see a show episode called Sabrina say that we've only got forty percent of Sabrina in there when we really needed sixty percent. Your mind is automatically not telling you you're looking for everything Sabrina say, so everything she's doing, you're watching that because you're thinking, this is another episode about so.
Speaker 1: It takes you there.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like a way and so it does exactly what you said as well, you get to know that character individual, but it really makes you know, Okay, so I'm getting to know Michael hair tas the hair on your hair. And any time you get to the six you feel like you've known them now you're ready for them to come together. And yeah, that was always the way it was planned to do it like that. Man, it's honestly, we put a work into the show.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you something creatively, and I'm a creative person. I was just like, this shit is crazy, Like like, he didn't I said, he didn't label it. He labeled it so you could fall in love with the characters.
Speaker 2: So by next season, that next season, the straight smoke, I don't introduce you to the normal people like yourself say, it starts so slow what she does if you don't, but you see season two, it don't start slow. That's guying off. We're a getting flat. Well as long as we get I already know I've got the opening scene. So my cost already normal opening. I'm not gonna give it cheese up. No, no, but the opening scene is just smoke.
Speaker 1: I take another saying. So so let me ask you. The budget comes in, it's exactly what you asked for.
Speaker 3: Because everything was based out of London this time that you didn't go anywhere, because that's yeah with Scotland.
Speaker 1: When the guy yeah yeah, scot We actually went to sculling. That's one of my favorite scenes. It's funny we actually sculling.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I feel so sorry because you look at it to watch it, you don't watch it, watch the trailer?
Speaker 1: Did you not talk? Of course you're not. And I went back. I watched you know, I watched the Netflix one, and then I went back to watch the older the first one.
Speaker 2: The first one was my favorite one and I loved it. If you're not that word, yeah, you're right. Yeah you went to see pay stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was a time where they didn't know their powers, but they using it.
Speaker 1: They're using it. By I'm because I don't want him to tell me any more. Ship. I'm sorry because I got little kids in the grip. This is the weekend is the time where I'm gonna watch it all that's crazy to do it.
Speaker 2: So it's this one guy and I believe his thing is speed, but he's so fast that he ran.
Speaker 1: To another country.
Speaker 3: Saying like so I'm looking at him like because I think it's called Lima or Lima or something like that.
Speaker 1: The part of Scotland that we went to Edinburgh, Edin and he goes, where have my hat?
Speaker 2: And he goes and then the lady goes to him, tells him where he's yet, and he goes, well, where's that at? And he goes, you know, another one like like you in Scotland and then he comes back.
Speaker 3: This is the part that really really really really really dope about our people is we can I can have.
Speaker 2: The illest power in the world and comes to you and tell you, Yo, I got the ill power. You're like, well do it now, that's what it was.
Speaker 1: You have to show improvement, you know.
Speaker 3: Every one of them went back and was like telling their friends. But they were telling them nonchalant. They're not trying to like they're not trying to like, you know, get you excited.
Speaker 2: Or something like like, yo, listen, I think there's something wrong with me, but I think like it's in a good way.
Speaker 3: All of their friends was like, it's calm down. What friends said to him, Okay, do it now then, like that's just how we are, Like all people.
Speaker 1: Are fund and you couldn't do it, and you know it's funny. Can we grow out watching all these cpero shows and it's not. The rule is you got your you don't tell no one.
Speaker 2: Bro. You're gonna tell you someone, your partner, your closest friends, somebody is getting the hair and that whatever.
Speaker 1: It's your brother or sister.
Speaker 2: So for me, I was like nah, And the reactions need to be realistic because you told me you can fly, you can fly, you can fly.
Speaker 1: Let me see you flying them.
Speaker 2: Bro, I'm gonna want to see that. So that is my realistic reaction. And that's the show's reaction. Everyone's reaction is show me. You can't just say you know it's hilarious and these are these people best friends. It's like, so it's not like they're going to tell Like the guy a security guard at Walmart, they told him to yo, you know, I think something's wrong with men. The people were like, you need to calm down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's real. It's so grounded.
Speaker 2: That's what makes it because you're thinking if you're it's just people flying through the air, but it's not.
Speaker 1: You can take away the powers and still.
Speaker 2: Follow these following these people for the show, because that' how entertaining their Conso month this weekend, Man, I ain't gonna lie to you, man, I was so excited, you know what I mean, you know, to give you your flowers.
Speaker 1: Man, I appreciate him.
Speaker 3: Uh, I'm excited about what's going on around your way, what's going on with London, the energy, that's everything that's happening.
Speaker 1: You know, the rappers, you guys get finally getting your props.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at one point it was just y'all giving y'rself props, right, but I started to like, you know, but then now it's like, you know what I mean, like, uh, what what's the little Baby record with?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah you can go yeah yeah, Yeah, he's killlling it.
Speaker 3: I've been saying it all day. I said, we could go broth for broth.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he's saying that, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: Central is killing it and people like that he's helping it. He's really he's really helping the scene with what he's doing. Because now we're not saying Central seeing little Baby, so I'm not surprised no more.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh yeah, you don't got your heart rapper with our heart rapper, let's go. It doesn't feel like a shot.
Speaker 2: Back in the day a UK artist collabor with America Iyce collabor was like, bro, MAM's got something. Now it's just like okay, yeah, that's that's going to be a bang on that. We're starting to be seen as the equals that we are now, even though we're smaller, so we don't expect to have anything news that have. We're like, we're like the half the size of your smallest state compared to you, but we've got time to hair bro the UK. The UK's all right now Like that SHP you have to super soaken kind of shows that for me because that is so unapologetically London.
Speaker 1: It wasn't more down at all where it was the Globe show for weeks and America loved it, Africa loved it, Europe loved it. So I just think as long as that, I think the culture is are one now.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I think we're emerging mine so I think it can brace everyone.
Speaker 2: I know this is off the wall question, but you think Apple Beats has something to do with that. It might have played part one hundred percent because how big Burner and with kid is and people, the songs that every one's playing. I think the music is the same now. So you go to the club, you might end the club in Miami. You just might have some different songs that we listen to you. But the song that everyone's getting crazy, we go crazy, that.
Speaker 1: Song as well. That helps it all brings.
Speaker 2: Everything together, man, So I think I think that plays a big part. I'm not even just afro beas I think in general the music now we listen to is so and how global, like hip hop is so global.
Speaker 1: It's like it's it's just one big community that's taken over everything. To be honest with you, yeah, yeah, we're pop culture now. I always say that. I always say that we are the pop culture man. I'm honest. Man. That makes that makes me as well. Bro, Look I've got my flowers here. We shut it up again.
Speaker 2: Because one more time. Yeah, I got it, but I want to big them up one more time because we big enough. What you're doing, what you're doing stress when you stressed, what you're doing is unheard of. Like me again, I didn see top Boy, so I want to pick that up. But me looking at that and me seeing you unapologetically be who you are, like who this is?
Speaker 1: Like like like like I said, I had to rewind a couple of times, like I was like, what the fu?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as it should have I used to have to do with there. So I was doing that and I was just like, you know what this ship is dope. It's really dope.
Speaker 4: It's creative, imagine, it's immersive because that's what Top Boy was and the wire is it immerses you into somewhere that you're not from.
Speaker 2: That and we rarely show live different parts of South London and that the energy, the parties, you see so much more than what you was normally see from a show like this, you know, and you ready see a new worlds if you're not from from the UK.
Speaker 3: And big up to Noos because I love once again man, thank you and your crew for coming out. Man. We appreciate that you want everybody to go out there watch super Cil.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. I'm gonna watch super sotill from I'm gonna tweet you. I see you on Twitter. Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you personally I'm a movie buff. If you know me, you know that I stay home all day. I watched movies. I stood for two days. I stood home and watched this ship, and I did not lose track of time. A new time was moving.
Speaker 1: And he hit me. Hear me. He's like, this is dope.
Speaker 2: I saw from someone saying I watched super so all night. I start working at six. It's commenty seven nothing.
Speaker 1: I was so yeah, yeah, I appreciate that. And this is how I know. Like, remember how I told you.
Speaker 3: I said black Panther, I said Bob Molly, and then I said Superstar.
Speaker 1: That's to be next to doors is amazing.
Speaker 2: The whole month that I watched Bob Molly, I swore was Jamaican.
Speaker 1: So now you're a superhero. He's you know what, You're gonna watch it?
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: It's no excuse me, it's not Crystal Man.
Speaker 2: Yea, but thank you man.
Speaker 1: Anything else you want to say to the fans before you get about it, no mind, just.
Speaker 2: To echo what you said. If you ain't seen Super Sol, it's not too late. You can still watch it.
Speaker 1: Not if you like it.
Speaker 2: Spread the work. We're still trying to run up the numbers mine so big up money. Thanks to you for having me for my love, mine soul. Yeah, don't yes, thank you again one day. Yeah, you don't know, you don't know, you don't know, but you don't know that you know dyslexic.
Speaker 4: Drink Champs is a drink Champs LLC production hosts and executive producers n O r E and dj e f N.
Speaker 1: Listen to drink Champs on.
Speaker 4: Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of drink Champs hosted by Yours truly, dj e f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials That's at drink Champs across all platforms, at the Real Noriagon, I g at Noriag on Twitter, Mine is at Who's Crazy on I g at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com.
Speaker 6: Hazard it Sounds Rising the Machines Past Your Mentals one available now on all platforms.
Speaker 1: Download today.
Speaker 6: Rising the Machines Song Contest seeking out all artists that want to take their career to the next level. Go ahead and join today by downloading the album, picking out your favorite beat, and making a song versu or hook to it submitted to Hazardous Sounds at gmail dot com and you will be judged by celebrity judges dj EFN, Drink Champs owned SB Killer platinum producer, and Scram Jones mostly Plantnum producer as well. You can also summit via ig by recording the video and performing the song simply tagged Rising the Machine Song Contest, and we will repost your video as well. Winners will be announced September seventh. Joined today and may the best artists win
Speaker 1: MHM