Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 4: You want to be happy for dake Edo state is that woof woof?
Speaker 2: And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal Boys and Girls is their last episode of August.
Speaker 1: I am joined. It's the weirdest way to stay girls.
Speaker 3: I love it. I am joining Girls by Dan Rubinstein over there in Chicago. I don't know what got into me. How are you?
Speaker 1: It's a touch of Dave Randa. I guess I can tell you this, Ty, Whatever happens these next dozens of minutes, it won't be in a bad way. Because I'm dehydrated. I am sitting next to my sixty four ounce jug growler, whatever the hell this thing is, and I am sore and tie. I feel the hydrogen and oxygen and coursing through I don't know. I guess my stomach. I don't know. I feel great, Ty, I'm ready to roll.
Speaker 3: Do you ever get to a point where you feel like you've had too much water?
Speaker 1: I have gotten to that point before. But here's the thing, Tie breaking news. Your body just pees it out.
Speaker 3: I understand that at some point your commitment to hydration overtakes your commitment to just being a normal, comfortable human, and the bathroom trips become more frequent, and it just, yeah, you know, like, is it all worth it?
Speaker 1: It's a tight rope that I'm not afraid to walk.
Speaker 3: Tie.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm going to say right now. I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Well, suffice to say, we are the most hydrated show in the college football ether. I am Tie, he is Dan. This is the solid verbal. We had originally talked about doing an ACC preview. Turns out I got my schedule wrong. That's going to be next week, okay, or we'll talk through all things ACC, maybe start getting you ready for the SEC talk about everything going on as it relates to this college football season. But one thing that we've had happen throughout the span of this pandemic, really but particularly as we've gotten a little bit closer to this season, the questions that we have coming in coursing through the soliverbal inbox and across all of our social media platforms. They are robust. They are among some of the best that we have gotten in our decade plus of podcasting. We felt remiss to not just go back and address some of these while we still have the opportunity. As I said last show, I think before the end of August.
Speaker 1: Right correct.
Speaker 3: Suffice to say, we're going to be talking about actual football and previews and teams really soon. We wanted to try and squeeze just one more of these in if at all possible. So that's the show you got tonight. Soliverble Mailbag. If you have not already, please do subscribe to the show. You can go to our website Soliverble dot com and find out all the deeps on that there. If you like the show, five star reviews are appreciated, not required, not required, but very much appreciated. If you like what we're doing, follow along as well on social media. That's on Twitter, that's on Instagram, that is on Facebook. There's a subreddit, so oliver reddit dot com. And uh, what else did I forget? Go out? Yeah, when you're on the website center for the newsletter, we got stuff we will announce. I promise you.
Speaker 2: Did.
Speaker 3: I leave everything so good at teases ty, We've been teasing stuff for a while.
Speaker 1: We had planned a lot of things for like eight weeks ago and because of everything that is happening, we have felt like things don't feel right to take the bubble wrap off immediately. It feels like it's in poor taste with some of the things we've been planning to do, not in terms of the shows we wanted to do, but sort of the structure and new things we've been planning for a long time. It felt like the wrong time, so we're hoping that the right time is quickly approaching.
Speaker 3: We've been grappling with is it middle of September, beginning of October for the shirtless calendar, Like, what is the right time for that? When is it soon? There's just so much going on in the world.
Speaker 1: Have people already heard the new Manscaped Dad that you're a part of I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if I cannot believe you did that to me, you scoundrel.
Speaker 1: I don't know it's if it's been digitally inserted into this episode already, but I would not fast forward advertisements just in case our newest Manscape Manscaped read is live.
Speaker 3: You are a scoundrel for doing that to me. I can't believe you did that to me. That was almost the end of the podcast. Should we get to news.
Speaker 1: Let's do that.
Speaker 3: We have bracking news.
Speaker 1: You've got some energy today, Ty got a little bit of energy.
Speaker 3: Dog's barking in the background. Don't know if you can hear her. That's her reaction time.
Speaker 1: I yelled that apparently we had the solid Toddler the Sodler barkin in the background a little bit earlier. So it all works out. It's all even.
Speaker 3: Eight Nebraska football players are suing the Big Ten over the Big Ten's decision to postpone the season. They filed it on Thursday. They are seeking to invalidate the league's postponement of the fall football season and to award damages. It was filed in Lancaster County District Court. It alleges that the conference is in breach of contract by not following its governing documents, under which athletes are third party beneficiaries. The athletes, according to the suit, have quote the right to expect the Big Ten will follow its own governing documents and all of its other rules, regulations, and guidelines, will not make arbitrary and capricious decisions, and when a vote on a decision as momentous as canceling all fall sports is announced, will conduct an actual vote end quote. They are, of course citing some public statements from the Minnesota president the Michigan state president when they question whether or not a formal vote to postpone ever actually took place among the conference's council presidents and chancellors. So a lot to digest, They're a lot to unpack, you know, I get where they're coming from. I understand the frustration. I would say, almost assuredly they will lose. Yeah, this suit.
Speaker 1: I don't think the point of the lawsuit was to actually reverse the decision made by the conference, because that kind of precedent of players deciding on operational procedures for a conference is not something that seems like it's in the near future. But and if you read any of the pieces that there was an interview, I think it's Noah Pola Gates's mother, a cornerback for defensive back from Nebraska. She was more talking about we want clarity, we want documents, we want to know what happened behind them the Big ten curtain, and that they haven't gotten those answers to their satisfaction. And it could be argued no answers would be to their satisfaction, which is okay, sort of speaks to where everything is right now, So I would imagine if this is going to move forward to trial, the point is discovery. The point is to be able to gather documents, to gather evidence, to have more clarity into the thinking. Because there is rightful concern among players and you know, this is a belief system as it relates to public health and coronavirus and everything like that, that they are being denied the opportunity to market themselves and further their careers and their marketability for the NFL, and sure why they signed up to play college football in the first place in a major conference like the Big Ten. So I think it's more about further evidenced clarity than anything else. And even if you read the piece, I think there was I mean, it's been covered everywhere, but Nebraska parents, Nebraska players are not all on the same page. Some are totally good with the decision. It's not a monolithic thing where it's the entirety of the eighty five Nebraska.
Speaker 3: Sione at the time the times, that's the story across the board, really right for sure, So I think these eight players are acting on behalf of what I'm sure is an overwhelming majority of the Nebraska football team as well as any other Big Ten team, where they want to have as much information as humanly.
Speaker 1: Possible, and because they have not gotten it yet, this is the step that they felt they needed to take. And so if there's more information that's able to be gleaned from, you know, filing this lawsuit, I think it's a win because we'd all like to know. But yeah, I don't think the point is to actually, you know, restart the Big Ten season, even if that's what it says.
Speaker 3: All right. On the topic of the Big Ten, the conference is considering multiple domed stadiums as potential sites for winter college football. Some of those sites include Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. That's, of course where they play the Big Ten championship game, Detroit's Ford Field, the Minneapolis US Bank Stadium, and the Dome at America Center in Saint Louis. Some others that I saw kicked around in the CBS article Miller Park in Milwaukee, Northern Iowa's Uni Dome, and Northern Michigan's Superior Dome. Sure just some of the stadiums that have been kicked around there. It's also possible, of course, that they could consider some other stadiums outside the central geographic area around the Big Ten Conference, but obviously that presents some more logistical challenges. Here's what I like about the story. What I like about this story is they're getting creative. I like that they're getting creative with it. I like that it seems like they're trying to plan for something. Whether you like it or not, this is kind of like the last great hope for a Big Ten football season. Perhaps it already has not worked out the way that they had planned, with other conferences presumably trying to carry on in the fall. Maybe they didn't expect that, maybe they did. But I like that they're getting creative. I like that they're thinking about this. I would hope that they would have a better roll out plan as it relates to their spring season than they did the postponement of their fall season, because that created a hell of a shockwave around the world of college football. Anything that they can do to stave that off now with this planning of the spring season, I think would be much appreciated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's all correct. I think this fall is sort of on the everything is on the table portion of the Big Ten delayed season conversation. They're throwing out names of stadiums. By the way, is there still a hotel attached to the SkyDome or whatever the Toronto Baseball stadium is called. Maybe that's the answer. Yeah, maybe you could have the bubble quarantine attached to a dome. I don't know. I mean, Canada seems like a terrific answer for a number of things, but I don't know what the logistics of playing in what North Dakota in. I mean, I get that everything is on the table. I don't know if North Dakota was mentioned in your long Northern Iowa. Oh, the Northern Iowa Dome. Yeah, another FCS dome, but it's uh, I don't know. It all seems dicey. We don't know where the world is going to be come I guess the middle of winter and where the viruses and where vaccines are going to be. I think we're going to have better protocol by then, because I think it's increasing exponentially by the month. We're saying, I don't know if you put this down. The waste water situation at the University of Arizona Zona, bar down, Baby, bear down, so to catch things very early, certainly is an advantageous way to go about everything. So sure everything's on the table. That's my reaction.
Speaker 3: There are some postponements to discuss, and I probably did get them all. I saw that Troy and ULM are postponing their September fifth matchup due to a significant COVID outbreak at ULM. ECU and Marshall have postponed their game on September the twelfth. My guess is that there will be others, but those are actually the only two I had. Did I miss anything?
Speaker 1: NC State Virginia Tech by two weeks. They'll respondent because things have not been great at NC State. Hopefully it's improving. And yeah, there's I mean, there have been reported position groups at various schools. Yeah, we're going to buy their tested positive. Yeah, I know you have that in the news section, just related to postponements. So we assume that it's related to clusters on campus, perhaps clusters within the football team. And we hope everybody's all right, because it is strange sometimes that we'll see like North Carolina clusters or Notre Dame clusters or Alabama students and we were like, oh man, well they'll be better by football season, Like, well, hopefully, this is a really awful situation. And yes they're young, and yes they have the best chance of coming out of it in a good place. But it's okay to just say, man, I hope they're just hope they're all right as human beings. That'd be great. So that's happening everywhere, that's what it seems now.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I would further the point of much of what Greg Sankie has said, and I think conference commissioners have been fairly in unison on the point of if we delay, if we wait, that gives us more opportunity to build out protocols and build out strategies and just come up with some way to handle all this and still maybe put on a football season. So one of the things here My next tidbit is about the Big twelve and Conference USA and some extent the SEC adopting three COVID nineteen tests per week. The ACC is expect did to follow a similar philosophy in the very near future, but they're going to do two of those like pipe cleaner tests, where they're trying to like get the gunk out of your brain, which I think you had one.
Speaker 2: Had those.
Speaker 1: Not No, not at all, but I'm glad I got it tested negative. It's not a great time.
Speaker 3: Two of those a week and then an antigen test later in the week. They're trying to really cover all bases. It does seem as if testing protocols are being established and additional ways to test for the virus are also being developed as well. I don't know if that bodes better for the Big ten and PAC twelve in the spring. I'm not going to go there with it, but with the advantage of more time, we are finding that some of these things are coming to light and look, society as a whole can benefit from that. So here's hoping that this works out for the Big twelve and really any other conference that's going to establish this protocol and try to move forward in the fall or even in the spring it comes to that. I think that's good news, good news at a time, and we need some for sure. Doubling back on your point, though, we do have news now that multiple LSU offensive linemen have been placed under quarantine due to coronavirus exposure. They reportedly only have four offensive linemen available at practice who aren't quarantined. A bit of a problem. I would say as we get into the season, I have not seen whether or not these guys actually have the virus, but they had exposure to it, and look, this is going to be a recurring theme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And even if every one of these guys turns out to be alright, it goes through their system. They recover fully. They don't have any obvious side effects, which is the best possible situation. Long term effects are not to be seen. Whatever, they're still not practicing, They're still going to be out of shape. It exaclates to where they normally are in August going into a season. So it just I worry about just a bigger likelihood of injuries, of being out of shape, of being not prepared, and this leading to other unforeseen circumstances. So hoping for the best for guys at LSU or anywhere else where we have these these these clusters, but man, it's it's tough to see.
Speaker 3: All right, what else do we got here? Brennan Armstrong is the new Virginia quarterback. He was given the starting nod by Broncomanden Hall. When we do our acc preview, I'll talk about Brendan Armstrong and what you can expect that of him. But some actual football.
Speaker 1: You not have strong takes about Brennan Armstrong right now.
Speaker 3: I don't. Right now, I need a little bit more time to I just have so many thoughts that I need to get them organized before I present.
Speaker 1: I can tell you this, he appears to be a south Paw and I always root for lefty quarterbacks to succeed. I love them left the quarterbacks and kickers. Yeah, oh, every time.
Speaker 3: Rare gem in the football world. And finally from our news is weird. We've got a quote here from less Miles that players opting out of the pandemic are opting into it. There you go.
Speaker 1: Quote, if they out of college football season, they're into the pandemic. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If they opt out, this is a quote. If they opt out because of the pandemic, then they opt into the pandemic. The last I saw it, the pandemic was worldwide. Okay, So I don't know what their advantage is to turn at this point away from what would be a good finish to a college career and the opportunity to advance their abilities and then have a choice whether to go off to the NFL or stay and compete. So we'd love to have them stay and compete. Okay, I don't understand any of that. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: It hasn't been a great week for less Miles now on audio tape.
Speaker 3: Now, I think I get the general point here. It's just a really weird thing to say right now. Less Miles is never really the authority you turn to when you're looking for like connectedness to world affairs.
Speaker 1: And just sometimes sometimes, and you can quote me on this, sometimes football coaches are just football.
Speaker 3: I'm writing this down. I'm writing this.
Speaker 1: Please write that down, underline it, period. That's it. That's my full thought. Sometimes humans who coach football are simply humans who coach football. That's it.
Speaker 3: I understand that there is a full spectrum out there of how seriously people are taking this. I understand that many of whom listen to the show write in about the show, and so we're not I'm not going to go there with this, but it's just a very weird thing to say at this point. And sometimes, yeah, sometimes coaches are just coaches who knew Yeah, all right, that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got in the news department We'll continue to do the news for as long as we can't have to whatever until we get to actual games to discuss. I'm very excited about. Let's get to some of those questions. Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail, You've got mail on the solid ruble Dan as often as we can, and maybe for the last time before we get to the season. We like to pay Homas. Those of you who write into Soli Verble at gmail dot com, right into our various social media accounts, really get us thinking, get us stretching those brain muscles in a way that we don't normally when we're just talking about the news or odds or I don't know whatever else. We've got a menu before us of outstanding football and non football related questions.
Speaker 1: I have had enough water that I feel adequately prepared to really hit these with a good amount of energy and knowledge. Where do you want to start? You tell me all right quickly, sk Murphy. Will Army win the National Championship? Well, well, Army lost like all of their game, and then they built their schedule back up to twelve, to a full twelve. It does not include any Power five teams, but it does include I believe Cincinnati and BYU. So I'm going to say yes. I'm going to say yes, I am willing to give Army the solidrible national championship if they go twelve to zero and they of course still play Navy and Air Force.
Speaker 3: Here's what I want to know. This is what this question started me down the path of thinking about. Okay, because we've got three power conferences now, and the College Football Playoff Committee is on the record saying that they want to proceed as usual, even with fewer teams, they still want to conduct a playoff. They're going to do their rankings starting in November. How do non Power five or I guess Power three schools factor in because it's kind of more of an open slate now right, I'm not saying Army is that team, but yeah, if you're not one of those traditional powers, is there any kind of like statistical gain here for I don't know if boiss I, I guess Bois's not playing. But if now they're not a team like Boise, let's say a UCF. If you will a UCF, yeah, do they stand a better chance of eking their way into this thing? Now that it's such a goofy landscape?
Speaker 1: They would have to be. And this is sort of true of even years when everybody's playing, but yes, because there are fewer teams. If we get to the point where all these Power three teams just really just beat the crap out of each other and they're all seven to three and UCF or whoever runs the table and just dominates, it probably has to be an AAC team just in terms of what we know the talent level to be in the American if they just full on dominate. The problem is these teams, you know, in a normal year, a Mountain West Power or an American Power is getting hopefully a couple of shots against OK Power five opponents when they're not going to this year. So it's really tough to see unless UCF is just power bombing teams fifty five to three every week and they run the table and you know, next case scenario is you know, LSU seven and three or something like that. Unimpressively, that's that's as close as it'll get. And I still have my doubts.
Speaker 3: I am very curious to see how this all works out, because I gotta be honest with you, Dan, because the math, it already figures that we would need to have two of those power teams in the playoff from the same conference. So because of the schedules, because they're playing only conference opponents in a bunch of cases, do we want to see a rematch? Do we need to see a rematch? This could be an opportunity for the playoff committee to put one of those teams in and feel good about it. I guess we'll see what comes with that with the Playoff committee. I want to go to this. I love this question. Thank you to Gabe for sending this one in Who do you think has been the most over hyped quarterback recruit in recent history? So I believe what Gabe is referring to here is the brock Berlin Memorial Trophy. Right brock Berlin, Wow, highly touted quarterback, went to Miami, didn't quite work out.
Speaker 1: Should we define what this actually means? Because there have been five stars, there have been number one quarterbacks in classes that I don't necessarily think had hype, like sometimes there are just off years where like I'll give you an example. I think Max Brown was Max Brown quarterback recruit, right, but I don't think he had like Jimmy klaus in anywhere near that level hype. Jimmy Closs in southern California a lot more attention than wherever in Washington Max Brown is from. And Jimmy Classon is certainly going to Notre Dame and himself doing making the press conference announcement and his commitment at what the college Football Hall of Fame, all sorts of things like that I think will lead to hype. And Jimmy Clausen happened to be a very good college football quarterback. So he is not the answer, but I think there needs to be. And I looked at the quarterback since two thousand and eight when we started the show. I wanted to send some juice coming in, like they were, you know, the savior type quarterbacks coming in. That's how I looked at this end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I was looking at a guy like a Shape Patterson. Shape Patterson, I think was the top quarterback recruit of his class. He was wasn't a bad quarterback. I don't know if he was a pretty good college I don't think he lived up to maybe lofty expectations, but as a college quarterback goes, he was okay. So I think we're looking for somebody who came in a five star got out there and was a stinker or maybe just didn't play at all in spectacular fashion. Are there any names to you that come to mind?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I considered a bunch, you know, with how Christian Hackenberg finished his career, I don't know if that. I don't know if that fully fits, but because of his really promising fresh year, but the fact is, you know, he was drafted high based on potential, and I don't know if he was over hyped because of circumstance, because of coaching change. So I'm not I don't think I'm gonna roll with Christian Hackenberg. Josh Rosen had a lot of hype but was pretty good with a bunch of different coordinators. Not amazing, but pretty good, And he was drafted high and hasn't worked out as an NFL player. How do you feel about Jeff Driscoll, who certainly came in with a ton of hype, didn't work out at Florida but ended up being a pretty good college quarterback at Louisiana Tech. But not as it relates to his recruiting.
Speaker 3: I think he ended up being pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Kyle Allen pretty good.
Speaker 3: Kyle Allen was okay, Yeah, it was Okay, I had I have a couple names here as you might expect. Okay, so you know it maybe a little bit outside of your two thousand and eight time horizon, but Anthony Morelli still I have scar tissue from Anthony Morelli at the escape.
Speaker 1: And that he was I don't know, I don't remember his recurring I do, I do.
Speaker 3: He was a five star. He did not work out for Penn State. Okay, so he's a name. I think you can make a case for Blake Barnett.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting name. Yeah, he was what he's committed to Notre Dame, ends up going to Alabama and just is immediately supplanted and does not make an impact there, and you know, finishes his career with kind of a physics.
Speaker 3: We'd be remiss if we didn't also mention Gunner Keel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he had an okay career, though eventually eventually. Hunter Johnson right now is an interesting territory.
Speaker 1: See. I think Hunter Johnson came in as a really good, promising quarterback, but not with the once in a generation like Trevor Lawrence came in as like there were there were recruiting people who said he'd be the number one quarterback if he were a senior this year, during his junior year of high school, like that level of hype coming in and he, I mean, he's surpassed it. Somehow, he's surpassed that that level of hype. Hunter Johnson, I don't think. And maybe this is misremembering. Maybe this is just because I don't live in acc country, but it doesn't it didn't seem like he had incoming juice. I already regret that phrase.
Speaker 3: What about Bobby Reid from Oklahoma State? He was, of course the yeah, the catalyst behind that Mike Gundy rant. That's part of our intro. It's again a little bit I think before our two thousand and eight the window, but I know he was a pretty big deal coming out of high school.
Speaker 1: What was the Penn State quarterback? The Rob Bolden?
Speaker 3: Rob Bolden never quite got to these levels of acclaim.
Speaker 1: But he was a blue chip quarterback who was seen as I mean, it wasn't a five star, but who is he competing with? He lost the job at Penn State to another younger quarterback.
Speaker 3: God, you're putting me on the spot here.
Speaker 1: I found the name. I don't think he ever did anythink for Penn State, Paul Jones, Oh, no, Paul Jones, No he didn't. He ended up going to Bob Morris. Anyway, I think my answer might be Jacob Eason. Okay, I think as a five star. I mean, it's any of the Jakes if you really want to talk about it from the State of Washington, Jake Keaps, Jake Locker, Jacob Eason. Although Jake Locker was dealt a pretty bad hands situationally of when he came in, but I still never thought he was all that good. Jake Keaps was rough as a five star, transferring around Kansas and Stuch, but Jacob Eason came in with a ton of juice. If you remember the recruiting battle between Georgia and Florida and secret trips and will he won't switch, ends up at Georgia, holds firm in his commitment. I think it was after Mark Richt got fired. He was like, oh, is he gonna go to Florida now instead of Georgia. He sticks with Georgia, has a pretty underwhelming freshman year, but you're like, Okay, that's not amazing, but he's just a freshman, ends up transferring to Washington and was a below average quarterback this year with an above average arm just I'm trying to think of somebody that who had that level of hype and never was a real threat at pretty good.
Speaker 3: I think my answer here is probably going to be Anthony Morelli, even if it's a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: Okay, next question.
Speaker 3: In your podcasts lately, where you've broken down schedule releases, you're constantly mentioning tough road game X. When discussing the schedule. With the current COVID situation, it seems clear all games are going to be played at submax capacity, likely at twenty five percent if there are any fans at all. So, with that being said, how much of a home field advantage do you think will be at traditionally tough places like that Valley, the Swamp Lane Stadium, or of course multi sport field. I'm glad that Michael through that in here. I think it's going to have an enormous impact. To be honest, Well, I mentioned this on a previous episode or in one of our streams, I don't remember, but typically the odds makers are going to give a road team three extra points. So all things being equal, a home team is going to be favored by three, and in a lot of cases like Death Valley, like Lane Stadium or Beaver Stadium, Michigan Stadium, what have you, that number goes higher, could be as high as like five or five and a half. Phil Steel College Football Extraordinaire. He's talked about this home field advantage metric in his magazine for eons. I guess there will still be a home field advantage logistically, like you're moving to a different spot, and for sure like it will be there, but without the crowd noise. I think we're probably looking at something closer to a universal three points this year. Dan, It's not going to have the same gravitas as before because we won't have that just that crowd of effect.
Speaker 1: So I don't think it's the crowd effect that's going to give stadiums home field advantage when we talk about oh Man Pitt needs to go to Clemson or Syracuse needs to go to Florida State, whatever difficult places in normal times. For sure, what I think it is is going to be what is travel going to be like this fall for these teams, large groups of people traveling airports. I know it's charter flights and things like that. But what are the regulations, Like, what happens if a bunch of people test positive once they've arrived somewhere they arriving early to quarantine and be tested and be in like a pseudo bubble adjacent situation. What's going to happen if travel effects coaches? What happens if a coach is unable to make a flight because he is being quarantined or is in isolation, and things like that. I think just the idea of traveling and going on the road and perhaps spending more time and more unusual circumstance. What happens if a team is going from a place that's in the middle of cluster and hit hard and has really strict regulations in place, they go and play at a in a town that doesn't have regulations in place. We've got players sneaking off because they know the regulations aren't great, and so the variables at play here is what, at least to me, gives the advantage in a different way to home teams. Just not oh man, that's a rowdy stadium that rocks at night, because no, no stadium is going to be rocking this fall. But the idea of uncertainty and variables with travel, That to me is a road disadvantage.
Speaker 3: I could see that. I could see that, and who knows what that situation is going to be, Like, I'm sure we'll get kinds of stories about that. Sure question, Okay, Jacob says, Hi, guys, first time questioner, longtime listener. Hello Jacob, Hey, how do people have weddings? Now that the Big Ten plans to have spring football? Being an SEC country, it's harris see to have a fall wedding? What happens?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: What a question?
Speaker 1: I assume weddings are pretty different right now. I mean I can understand, you know, perhaps a space gathering outside or just a very very limited gathering inside with masks, be it, you know, a place of warship or some sort of events space. But from what I can gather from people I know that are engaged, most people are sort of postponing for a good chunk of time, or they're just doing something very small and private. So all I can tell you is if you are planning to have a wedding, and you're planning to have people friends and family at your wedding, not in a normal way, but in a semi normal way, I guess just do it during warmer months outside on a Friday evening or Sunday evening something like that, and just adjust your Saturday plans accordingly, or just to have a Saturday wedding is because we don't know what's going to happen, so you might as well just roll with something.
Speaker 3: This is your finest non answer in the history of the podcast.
Speaker 1: Dan, Thank you. I mean, how can I answer this question accurately?
Speaker 3: I have not. Here's the deal. I know at least two couples that had planned on Spring twenty twenty weddings and their venue was kind enough to defer their previous arrangement off to twenty twenty one. So we're going to get to like April, and suddenly they're going to be a bunch of folks who had planned for April twenty twenty. Now it's April twenty twenty one, probably not going to be able to postpone again. That wedding is going to go off. This is an absolute dagger. Do you find gentlemen out there who managed to delay until April? I think the only saving grace here you're probably going to have the wedding. I don't know what the circumstances are going to be like when you get there. I've heard stories about people going and being socially distanced until they drink and then it kind of all goes out the window. Whatever. I think the saving grace here is that it's not going to be a normal season in the springtime. Even if there are games, and many of us are skeptical, I'm still not sure we know what the stakes are going to be here. I don't know what kind of feel those games are going to have. Like you mentioned they have the same juice as you'd expect, I don't think they are. I think it's going to feel like a glorified exhibition schedule, and so you know, hey, even though games this fall could be in that category, for what it's worth, I think because the games are going to feel so different, and because circumstances have shaded how we feel about those games so much, it will be easier to contend with college football. If you've got that spring wedding and it just happens to be adjacent to college football games, then maybe Otherwise.
Speaker 1: I think you nailed it with the juice thing, because if the fall season and Nagamwa goes forward and has minimal incidents, then there's going to be a college football playoff, and then the Pac twelve and Big Ten are just going to play without normal postseason stakes, So there's not as much that's going to be hanging in the balance for a spring season at the end of it. And I don't know if that just means, Okay, there's me a Rose Bowl, and that's cool because if you're an Ohio State fan or a Penn State fan or whatever like, you want to play for the Rose Bowl against the Pac twelve champ by the end of the season. But I think Ohio State fans and fans of major programs that we've hang in the spring have or usually have their sites set a little bit higher than.
Speaker 3: This reminds me. The spring setup reminds me a lot of when I was fifteen and playing Conniemac baseball in Eastern PA. There were two leagues, two leagues, and if you made it through your own league, you qualified for the state championships and all that amounted to was playing teams from the other league. So wink, wink, nudge, nudge. State champion chips are to be had out there in the spring college football season. Next question, Buster writes in throughout the show's history, can you think of any particular college football events that led to a huge increase in downloads reverb submissions for that week? Good question, buster.
Speaker 1: I think you pay closer attention to both of these things than I do. You have your finger on the digital pulse of the show more than I do. But I think crazy endings your.
Speaker 3: Kick sixes, that's the answer.
Speaker 1: That's when the reverbs really blow the hell up downloads wise, I imagine as well. I'd like to think that sometimes when there's just strange spikes, perhaps if either one of our teams, Notre Dame or Oregon loses in heartbreaking or gutting or entertaining fashion of some kind, that I feel like I've seen at some point a couple of spikes for heartbreaking Notre Dame or Oregon losses. Just to bathe in our.
Speaker 3: Misery, it's more Notre Dame than Oregon. Okay, any close Notre Dame situation, win or lose, or god if any if they do anything stupid that causes a spike in reverbs almost instantly, And if there's a big play, a controversial ending, yeah, those types of things they generally lead to an uptick in reverbs, and if there's a big upset, that will cause spike in numbers. But we're pretty consistent. That's why we I think we are where we are. We're pretty consistent from week to week. All right, what else we got here? What's the best setup you've ever had on a Saturday as it relates to what TVs and sound systems and food and weather. That's from ned. It's a good question.
Speaker 1: I have an actual perfect answer for this, and it'll never be replicated. But it was that camera guide Dave's bachelor party in Austin. We rented a giant house, We hit the lake the beginning part of the day, came back for a chunk of college football. I think it was Oregon, Nebraska and USC Stanford were that day two or three years ago, so you can look it up. And this was a camera guy. Dave went to USC. It's a bunch of his USC buddies and me and there was a home theater in the house. We got barbecue catering from I want to say Terry Black's Barbecue in Austin and just gorged ourselves on smoked meat in this giant, giant home theater set up and that was pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's my answer. To go through a couple more of these football ones quickly, do we get a twenty twenty dude watch list for this crazy season? I think we can pepper you know, maybe the ACC and SEC and a couple Group five previously down here with dudes by the team down here.
Speaker 3: Just get that out there, nice little field, good way to close out the week. My dude watch list in twenty twenty consists entirely of Chaz Surrat. Okay, I started going through my ACC teams and I was thinking, you know, maybe I'd pose it on the ACC show. But now that this came up, can we do a universal Charles to Chaz conversion for this coming season?
Speaker 1: Is it because he's a linebacker now and you love a good like Joel Landing situation?
Speaker 3: Because I like a good Chaz situation Like Chaz is just such an underutilized name. We tried it with Will to Bill back in the day and we got big Bill Fuller, And I'm thinking that any Charles to Chas now could be a nice little pick me up. So instead of like Charlie Brewer, will go Chaz Brewer instead of Charles chip Kelly, we go Chaz chip Kelly.
Speaker 1: I think we have to move on. Like he calls himself Chaz, So doesn't he have to be you know, chuckles surat or something like that. Don't we have to flip it to something else to make it.
Speaker 3: Call him Chuck Surrat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charlie Sarratt chuckles, Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, but yes, we can do some sort of dude watch list. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll do well as we as we previewed a couple of conferences, a few conferences we have left to do. Do you want to just get into a bunch of these non football things and politely dismiss everybody who came for the football talk, because now it's time for non football talk. Is that cool?
Speaker 3: Hit me? Let's do it all right?
Speaker 1: I did ask for electronics questions, ty, because I know that's right up your alley. I just got a new sixty five inch for KTV and Blu ray player. People buy Blu ray apparently still that's the thing. Oh okay. Last year I bought a home stereo with eleven point one Dolby at most not a sponsor sound What should I think buy? What should I think about buying in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Unless you can build like the levels that Kramer wanted to build in Seinfeld to like complete your home theater, I would like move on to something else. Maybe expand out to a whole home audio solution with Son not a sponsor, Sanos not a sponsor.
Speaker 1: That was the only thing I could think so, like wiring your house with a specific full house audio situation or without the.
Speaker 3: Wires if you go the Saanos route.
Speaker 1: Should you be treating your TV room acoustically?
Speaker 3: Oh? God, that's such a pain in the ass.
Speaker 1: Would at this point you're some I mean, like, should you have acoustic panels on the wall to really make it great? If you're investing in eleven point once around, you probably should.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, just put some pictures or canvas or something on the wall. But that's that's such a can of worms to try and treat it acoustically. I would say your TV situation's fine. Expand out into like whole home audio.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are your favorite This I guess is a technical college football question. What are your favorite college football uniform colors? And I've added slash shades from.
Speaker 3: Three D Nubie.
Speaker 1: I've got a list. Hi, I don't know if you've thought this.
Speaker 3: Anything that's yellow is easy for me to see, you like it easy for me to see because yeah, crippling color blindness. So anything like.
Speaker 1: Oregon yellow pops against the Gregans.
Speaker 3: Like Neon unis. Give me more of that, sure, give me more of that.
Speaker 1: So specific shades in college football that I love. If we're going to talk hex, if we're going to talk pandone tie. I like gold helmets, including Notre Dame standard, not the extra CHROMI gold helmets. I love Colorado's helmet that to me, it pops really well. I don't know, gold pops for you in that same way. I generally like gray as an accent, so your Ole, miss your Georgia when Wazoo has a gray accent. I love white helmets is almost a standard rule. The white pistol pete with the orange bars of good. That's pure sex. That is pure visual sex.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: I like Oregon's apple green shade, either on a white jersey or when the jersey itself is apple green. The penn State, I mean, they have the white helmets by the fault, but they're that shade of blue, whatever they officially call it, I think is incredible. When Illinois wears their navy tops with orange bottoms, I think that pops really really well for me Tennessee when they have when they usually do the white pants with the orange stripe down the middle, I'm down the side. I mean that's the standard. I love that. I love the Gator script. I mean it's classic, and it's great both when they wear the white helmets occasionally and just their standard orange helmets. I think is fantastic just in terms of colored tones. And I know this is not a question that you can readily answer because of your problems with colors. I like burnt orange, I do. I know that that makes some people throw up, but I like the orange against the white of Texas. Oh. When ole Miss has their their baby blue helmets. If you've ever seen those them, those are hot. I'm trying to think anywhere else across Power five schools or Group of five schools. I love Auburn's logo. I don't know if that fully fits in, but that, for whatever reason, it's just burned into my brain is just a college football symbol. I don't know if there are any else that really sing to me. But yeah, the baby blues that we've seen recently. When SMU had their the the Galloping Cult or whatever, the Galloping Mustang, when they did that throwback logo that was that was also baby school pit. I did not And that's perfect. That is a perfect uniform. We've already discussed that on the show. Yeah, you've got the script, you've got the yellow, you've got that great shade of blue. That is a perfect uniform for sure.
Speaker 3: Give me something else, all right, Next question, question where we going next?
Speaker 1: We had a bunch of baby questions. How much should you spend on a stroller buddy? I do not know, but best advice for those who solid babies are turning into solid toddlers from Steven, all I would say is keep reading, keep checking. Okay, what should they be doing at thirteen fourteen months? It's not an emergency if they're not doing that. Every kid goes at their own pace and figures everything out on their own. If you just support them and do what you can do what's in your power. I would say keeping them on a good schedule. I think scheduling is very important, just the nap schedule, the eating schedule, keep them fed, keep the water coming, you know, keep them on that nap schedule where they're just they're rebooting every so often. And I think that's that's the way to give your chance the best shot at inner peace and happiness with your kid, because they're going to be difficult no matter what. But if you can stick to a schedule as best as you can, at least in my experience, that has worked out pretty well.
Speaker 3: I've got one here that I like. Okay, what's one skill your co host has that you're envious of and wish you had as well? I wish I could serve a tennis ball.
Speaker 1: Oh, not related to broadcasting or anything like this. Okay, you wish you could serve a tennis ball.
Speaker 3: I wish I could serve a tennis ball. Because you're and you'll remember this, I've told the story before. When I lived in my old apartment with then roommate Feldman, we would play tennis two or three times a week. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can.
Speaker 3: I consider myself pretty athletic, and I'm you know, competitive and all that. Words cannot express my frustration with being unable to serve with any efficiency. Right if we played fifty matches I might have won once. It was yeah, and he's like you know, I mean, he's athletic, but this isn't like Roger Federer over there. I should have been able to beat him. I couldn't serve. I couldn't win, and it drove me crazy. I don't know. I played as often as I did, but I just could never beat him. And it was because it couldn't serve.
Speaker 1: If I if I could take on any skill of yours, it would probably be any sort of ability to focus on something for a long time consecutively, because I can't. I have crazy add and I get distracted very very easily. Where I've seen you work and you can just pound away at something for five straight hours without taking a breath. I don't have that ability at all. I you know, a bird flies by and all of a sudden, I'm wandering away. So that would be your your life skill that I am jealous of. How is Dan enjoying Chicago? According to Celebrate, we will enjoy Chicago. I'm first of all, I'm in the burbs, so it's not nearly as cool as it would be exploring the city itself and seeing new things, eating new things. Is he planning on being there through winter, and if so, how do you plan to avoid freezing to death. I'm going to be here for at least a year. I like the greater Chicagoland area. Fine, I'm not far from Evanston. That's where I am in the Burbs, so I could. I could go on a long walk to ryan Field and Evanston is probably the area I've explored the most, and I'm a big fan tie. A lot of good stuff to eat, a lot of parks for the little guy. There's a good time to be had in Evanston.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I just don't spend that much time doing anything. I'm in the house working all day, and then on the weekends it's just it's going to parks, it's picking up food, it's doing stuff for a nineteen month old. So so far, so good. I'm not looking forward to winter at all, but I was in New York. I'm used to a cold winter, but I'm not fully ready for the duration and intensity of a Chicago winter. No, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Phil wants to know what are the best wireless earbuds. Furthermore, are air pods worth it? He says he does a lot of running and he's worried they'll fall out. I worship at the Altars Pod.
Speaker 1: Same. I absolutely do. Not a sponsor.
Speaker 3: Definitely not a sponsor. You convinced me of this, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just, especially if you're doing stuff around the house with your hands all the time, you can wear wired headphones. They'll just they'll get caught on cabinets and they're just they feel a little bit cheaper if you're just using the standard issue iPhone earbuds or whatever. I would just strongly recommend, especially if you have a I mean, I have a little kid, as I've talked about at length here, and so that's just you know, you're changing diapers, or you're you're just scooping them up at the park because something went wrong, or it's just it's nice to have those and if you need to make a call on the go, it's it's a little bit easier. Just it is. It's just nice. I haven't run with them. I haven't really worked out with them because they're expensive and I don't want to get sweat all over them. But I feel like I've jogged a couple times for whatever wearing air pods and they've been fine. They've stayed in my ears. But I guess canals may vary.
Speaker 3: Canals may vary. Yeah, I use them when I mowing the lawn. I use them a lot when I'm talking on the phone.
Speaker 1: Gator GT Woman says, what's an underrated kitchen appliants? Now? Do you think she means appliance in the way that I think is generally understood, Like, is it a dishwasher, refrigerator that kind of appliance or is she saying appliant slash tool? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I kind of interpreted this as appliance slash tool because, okay, your options are sort of limited with regard to the things that you can plug in. Yes, right, So the one that came to mind for me is a can opener.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't scamp on your can opener.
Speaker 3: If you've ever had a bad can opener, you know it, you know it. A corkscrew kind of falls in that same category.
Speaker 1: Okay, not a big drinker, but I can see why it would be.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, crew can also fall into that category. You know. I'm partial on the souvied cooker as well. The running joke, how do you use your souvide?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: Not that often?
Speaker 1: Okay, now, I mean, it's still it's good to have. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: The running joke that the Solid Wife Kate and I have about souvied cookers is that anyone who has one feels the need to explain it every time they use it. Yeah, of course, and I believe that's generally accurate. Those are the three that came to mind for me. Anything else for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a bunch that have just been a lot. My life has been better since I invested in a quality version of it. A cheese grater, like a box grader. If you get like a good, nice heavy one, if you're shredding a lot of cheese, or even if you're you know, doing it with onions or something, that is a big deal to me. The can opener is certainly good. Not just a knife, but we mentioned this Felder and I did on the episode a couple of weeks there, I guess a week ago. A knife sharpener. A knife sharpener makes a big difference to keep away any sort of dull blade action. I think a pizza cutter is nice if you're making pizza, investing a good one of those, you know, the rolling cutter a good like it doesn't have to be a standard drip coffee, just a pour over or a cold brewer. I have the Oxo cold Brewer. I drink cold brew every morning, and I love the one I got. It's just it has It's basically you pour the grounds and you pour the water and you let it seep for I don't know, eighteen or twenty four hours, and there's there's a spigot that you're it'll just come out and you can put it in store it in the fridge really easily. So that to me has been really nice. I have the ants cutting board.
Speaker 3: I use it every day. An electric teapot, Yeah, that's good. An electric teapot is life changing.
Speaker 1: A good call. If you make eggs a lot, have a good little frying pan, if it's non stick whatever, I think that's important. I was just I just had something else tie that has now escaped.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: A potato masher. A potato masher, not because you're making mashed potatoes all the time, but if you're making guac. That has been my best answer for quality guak is a quality potato masher.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, why don't we leave it there and wish everyone fond to do as we head into the last weekend of August. The next time we join you, it's going to be September.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, Ryan, Ryan has a good question. You want to get to that. It's it's been our endless frustration. Go ahead. How are you guys setting up for streaming video? Streaming lights slash, cameras slash other equipment questions? Yes, and yes, Ty and I have had, oh Man, maybe thirty seven conversations about diffused lights at least soft boxes and white T shirts and pillowcases over lights in the way that Ty is a stickler for high quality audio. I think I'm a stickler for high quality video. And I'm learning a bunch along the way as we get ready to ramp up some new elements of the show, Ty, you have what a Sony A sixty one hundred? A sixty one hundred, I've got a canon add that I already had. You just got the Sony A sixty one hundred because it has no video recording TI, I'm limit and it's a nice sensor and nice small body. But yeah, that's what we're that's what we're working with here right now, and it's pretty I mean, I think yours does four k mine doesn't. But one of the things that's been fascinating to me, as a lot of people have been quarantined and been at home a lot more and not going into offices watching and I'm not singling out any one network or anything like that, but watching ESPN personalities or Fox personalities or whoever, who are used to going into studios and being on TV or high quality digital video, and then they are left to their own devices or are being told, Okay, here the lights we're sending you, here is the microphone we're sending you. Here's the camera we're sending you. And all of these incredible broadcasters who have worked their way up to the top of the profession.
Speaker 4: Sound like that.
Speaker 1: They sound like this, Ti.
Speaker 4: They're not trying to sound like this. This is what they sound like as they try to produce television living.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 4: And I can't believe they can't figure out lighting or cameras or.
Speaker 3: Microphone, even a blue yetti for that matter.
Speaker 1: Jesus, Where oh man, there are there are guys who I think are used to going in and podcasting from these amazing studios and they're left to their own devices, and it's it's just like this time. This is the show, and that's been incredible to watch. There are some people that get it right, and it's it takes time, but it's amazing how poor people are at finding light, finding audio, treating their room just a little bent with some soft acoustics. That's been fascinating to watch. So that's why we are taking our sweet time, because we don't want to put up, you know, substandard stuff if we're putting effort into it. This is true, this is true.
Speaker 3: It's been an education for me, I gotta say.
Speaker 1: And I know I understand some people that's like their stick. That's I mean, that's fine, I guess. But we're talking about places trying to make good audio and good video and good TV. I think a couple of the late night guys have done pretty well. I think that has succeeded somewhat. But man, sports has not been in a good place at all. With that, that's all I have.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating, it is all right, all right, all right, let's call off the dogs. Let's call it a week.
Speaker 1: Ty. If this show is not a show that we can call out audio production value for no real reason, what are we even doing.
Speaker 3: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrandt. Look stay safe, stay solid, Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Enjoy the rest of your August. We will be back next week, same times, same place, talking more college football, doing previews, getting you ready for the college football season. Dan, I ready screwed up my outro, so I'm just gonna say no, You're good. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and I'll talk to you all soon.
Speaker 1: Peace,