Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Megan SUMMRL to the Before Breakfast. Megan is a time management and productivity expert. She is the founder of the Pink b and the host of the Work Life Harmony podcast, among many other things. So, Megan, welcome to the show. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I was like, ooh, that sounds like a better show up strong here today.
Speaker 1: I know all that people are expecting a lot, but I know you're going to give us a lot of wisdom over the next twenty five minutes. So why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself?
Speaker 2: Yes, so again, I'm the founder of the Pink Bee. I am a time management and productivity expert for women, specifically. My background was actually in corporate IT. I spent over twenty years in the software and IT space, where actually towards the end of my career. I would go in and basically rebuild software teams from the ground up, optimizing their processes, systems, procedures, et cetera. Found myself at a place where I got married later in life, started a family later and had a very pivotal day when my daughter was about two, where I was still in the thick of trying to juggle corporate life and motherhood and all of that, and a complete stranger asked me, what do you do for fun? And I realized I didn't have an answer. I couldn't remember the last time I had done anything for myself. My life was in service to work, family, all of that, and long story short, it led me on a path to completely rebuild how I plan and manage my time juggling all the roles and responsibilities. And now fast forward to today. Through a couple of pivotal moments from then to now, I left my corporate career, founded the Pink Bee, and we are on a mission to bring work life harmony and harmony into homes all over the world through this proprietary planning framework built specifically for women. The realities of our lives and how our brains work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although I'm sure there's a lot that men could learn from it too. So, honey, men are listening to this, you don't need to turn off the podcast because everything we're going to talk about today is going to be relevant for you as well, because there is a lot of overlaps between how we manage like our home systems and the corporate work systems you were doing right.
Speaker 2: Yes, there absolutely is the couple shifts that I highlight specifically for like the framework works for men and women. I have a lot of women go through the program and then they're like, and I made my husband come sit down and watch it with me, and now we're running our household this way is really acknowledging. Women tend to absorb a lot of the uncertainty and the mental load of the household. And the way our brains are wired is we actually multitask more than our male counterpart to do, and so we have to have systems that understand that and acknowledge it and have a path forward for it.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to talk a lot about systems over the next few minutes, but one thing I wanted to talk with you about first this is we're coming toward the end of the year when this episode is airing, and I know that you have something I believe it's called plan a Palooza that is an annual planning workshop that you run around this time as people look forward to their next year. And I'm I'm a big fan of doing this in like November, you know, and we got to really build up to the end of the year. But I wonder, how do you have people think through the upcoming year? Any fun tips for our listeners. Yeah, so are embarking on.
Speaker 2: This the big fundamental shift that I teach in the annual planning process? And why I do it so early? You know what's considered early. I'm not doing it the week before January is man Q four is a doozy November December. There's so much going on, and that's why I like to intentionally do this work early so that when January hits, I'm not now stuck going what am I going to? What am I gonna do this year? Like how are we operating? A lot of people when they go to annual planning workshops or events, it's always kind of this dreamcasting or visioning kind of workshop, right where we get really excited about all the things that we want to do next year, we break them down into milestones. Then we get back into our real life and the real world smacks us upside the head with the sick kid and the flu season and then the big event at work and all of that, and you know, six months later we find that worksheet or workbook from the event and we're like, oh, yeah, I forgot all about that. I haven't done anything. So what's fundamentally different with the way I really like to teach annual planning is we do some of that dream work, but then we start our plan with what's your reality for next year? Right, so actually understanding do you already have commitments and in what months? And when are there seasonality of when you know it's like is May usually a crazy month for you? Or December? And we build all of that in f think of it kind of like financing, like what time is already spoken for? So that now we're working realistically with hey, what kind of time do I have? That then supports our core values, our boundaries, and our priorities with those extra things that we want to layer in.
Speaker 1: I love that. I Mean, one of the things I'm always doing with people is having them track their time, so we know what a week really looks like. And then when you're setting goals, Yeah, you're setting goals, it's like, okay, and this is what a week really looks like. So it's fine to say, you know, I want to run four times a week, but that means we need to look at where those are going to be saying, you know, the big goal is, yeah, I'm want to run a marathon. Okay, where are the four runs a week going to happen in your life exactly?
Speaker 2: And when is the marathons? And now you're building out what do you have time a month before to do an eighteen mile run? Or are you traveling every weekend? And yeah, so we've got to really marry and integrate your reality with your want tos, if you will, and make sure that there's a cohesive plan and construct it in a way that sets you up for success instead of for feeling like a failure of four months into the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love this idea of planning ahead. You know, we're saying we're getting started on it in November because December is so crazy. And one of your recent podcast episodes what was like a while ago now, but it caught my eye because you have Christmas in July. Every year that you do, you do some of your holiday planning in July. Can you talk about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it kind of came. It stemmed from a need for myself. Of I remember one particularly rough holiday season and it was like the morning after Christmas, it was like holiday hangover, you know, just wrapping paper, stuff, crum just I remember sitting there like, this was not a fun holiday for me. I gave a great one for everybody else. And so that year I started thinking, Okay, what could I do to lighten the load in December? Are there things I could do earlier? Are there things I could stop doing, et cetera. And one of the things I landed on is I always loved holiday baking with my mom as a kid, and I always thought it would be this magical moment with my daughter. And I was like, that really wasn't magical. It's just one more have to like, one more to do, which just takes the fun out of it. So I thought, well, a lot of the stuff that we make is stuff that freezes really really well, and we're always looking for stuff to do Midsummer when you're so sick of going to the pool and it's literally one hundred degrees. So it's now come to two days long for us, where my daughter and I we put on Christmas music, we put on Christmas t shirts, and we actually bake a ton of holiday stuff over the course of two days, all stuff that freezes well. So then when December hits, you know, we might be making one or two things that don't freeze well, but we can really enjoy like we enjoy our gingerbread house making day because it's not packed on top of six other days of things that we're trying to get done, along with some crafting. So we do a lot of baking and we do some holiday handcrafting in the middle of July, and it makes just breaks up for a really fun, fun time in the middle of the summer. And now I have a freezer full of stuff ready to roll.
Speaker 1: I would say that's actually showing a lot of discipline on your part, because I'm pretty sure the Christmas cookies would be eaten in July.
Speaker 2: Talk them way back and garage, do we believe you out that we get to enjoys get put back in there and it's like out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 1: Well, good for you guys. We might we might have eaten that gingerbread. Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then i'll be back with more from Meghan Sumrow. Well, I am back talking with Megan Sumrell, who owns the Queen sorry, not the Queen Bee, the pig Bee. I've been listening to all that recently and she's the host of the Work Life Harmony podcast, among other things. So you know, we've been talking about doing things ahead of time. Now we're going to talk a little bit about planning and work and other systems. You recently had a podcast episode about making sure that meetings do not take over your life. And one of my favorite rules that you shared was not to schedule meetings on Monday mornings. And I know a lot of my listeners have probably sat through endless Monday morning staff meetings, So tell us why they should rethink that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so most people, there's always exceptions to the rule. Most people fall in one of two buckets on a Monday morning. Person A is the kind of person that is so rest and refueled over the weekend and like they come in Monday morning hot, ready to roll, highest energy levels, ready for the week super productive, and if you throw that person right into a meeting at the start of Monday, you are missing out on capitalizing on potentially their most productive time all week. So if they spend their first because I mean, let's say it's even only an hour meeting, that's gonna be an hour and a half minimum, right, because then there's the after the meeting, then getting the coffee, Like they haven't had a minute to think. And now you've taken that energy level, you've thrown it into a meeting, and now like that window's kind of gone. You don't recapture that person. B might be the person who comes in is like, I'm a slow roll. I need a little time, I need to reorient myself. I need to kind of get settled at my desk, I need to kind of gear up for the week. And so that person sitting in a meeting on Monday morning is probably only fifty percent present and could be missing out on really important stuff, key things. Their energy is not quite aligned well, and then those two personalities in a meeting tend to butt heads as well. Right, You've got the we're going to conquer world hunger, and you've got that I'm gonna need another cup of coffee before I can talk about this. And so oftentimes those Monday morning meetings end up not producing the desired output that you really wanted. If maybe you had just shifted that to like an eleven am or a one pm meeting on Monday instead of taking that prime real estate to start the week and not allowing everybody to settle into their their work rhythm in a way that supports them.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that for sure. And another way you have people reframing meetings is that I think this is a quote. I've wrote this down because I loved it so much, that being excluded from a meeting is a gift to your time.
Speaker 2: People feel like the more meetings they're in, it validates their importance. Right, And so if they see if they're walking by a conference room, you know, I used to work in a conference room. Now we're more zoom style, But they see a group of people around a table, They're instantly wondering like, why was I not invited?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Do they not value my mind? Do they not think I'm important? And so suddenly someone's like, oh, hey, could I come to that next meeting? And we start to feel like our worth in the workplace is kind of defined by the number of meetings we're in, Right, they value my opinion, They want me sitting in there instead of recognizing ninety nine percent of the time when I work with companies, we recognize that half the people in the meeting don't need to be there. They're consumers of what the decisions are made in the meeting, but they're not actually a key decision makers. And so I always love to encourage people to say, hey, realize, not being in a meeting is the biggest gift you can have because now, guess what, you have an hour to sit and work instead of an hour to sit and talk about work. That the decisions maybe you didn't need to be a part of. You just needed to know what the output was. And so it can be a real It can ruffle some feathers first when people start being excluded, but this is why I will tell people, when you're building the agenda, the agenda can be visible. Here's the purpose of the meeting, here's how we're planning on getting from point A to point B, and here are the people that have the knowledge and the ability to make the decision. That's why they're in the meeting. Everybody who needs to know the output of it, here's where those decisions will be, so that you can go have the info you need to carry on with your work. And that kind of helps to reframe it a little bit for people of like, oh, yeah, I need to know the output, I just don't have to watch them come up with a plan to get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of frame it is like, well, John will report back to Bob. That's how important Bob is he gets a report on this meeting.
Speaker 2: Because people complain about meetings, yet then they complain when they're not in the meeting because oh, we're all.
Speaker 1: In the middle school cafees here. I mean, this is it's honestly what it is. It's the same social fear of being excluded from something. So you spent years and in corporate logistics and systems. I wonder you know maybe one or two of your favorite sort of transferable systems things you learn from that that people could put to work in their own lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think a lot and a lot of where I pull from with the time management framework that I teach. I'm a really big fan of Lean six sigma and I went through all those belt trainings, there is really looking at everything you do, everything you spend time on with the lens of where is their waste and what can I get rid of? Is it that the waste is that I'm rewriting every morning half of yesterday's to do list onto today's and then adding to it and then tomorrow rints and repeating like that's waste. If you are it's suddenly Friday and you've rewritten half of the same list Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, right now, we can look at it as this is a waste of time, it's a waste of paper. What can I do to eliminate that waste? And then even in your personal life, same thing. Right do you find that you are stopping by the grocery store every night on the way home to pick up something for dinner? Like think through the amount of time that is being spent as opposed to what if I just sat down on Sunday for ten minutes and said, all right, or as a family, what are we having for dinners this week? Make the decision once in one sitting, go to the store once and then everything's there. But because we live in such a fast paced you know Amazon Prime everything right now, We often just keep rinsing and repeating without taking a pause to say where am I wasting either time resources, my own energy levels from decision making to then say what can I shift to be able to eliminate that waste? Yeah, and it doesn't have to be even all or nothing.
Speaker 1: Somebody who is going to the Absimos store every night could go twice, go three times, but just not every day exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't plan a week, but I could plan Monday Tuesday, maybe you know, and then yeah it would be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Are there any other examples of sort of common waste that people have in their schedules?
Speaker 2: I do see a lot of common waste with emails. So the people that leave emails open or email notifications on are wasting so much mental capacity and time jumping in and out of email all day long, and we think we have to, but very few of us are actually saving lives in our email right, Like, nobody is going to likely die because thirty minutes went by before you got the email. And so one of the biggest shifts I always encourage people to do is have set times of your day you can even I have it blocked on my calendar and appointment with myself for this is when I'm sitting down to actually go in and process my email, meaning I go through them all. If it's something I can do in two minutes or less, it gets handled. If it's something that needs a significant amount of time, it then goes into my calendar with specificity of when am I working on this, and then when the email processing is done, it is closed out. Email is not open. I usually do mine three times a day. Some people are like, there's no way I could do that. So I start off and say, how about we just start at the top of the hour, You go in for ten minutes, you check your email, and then you shut it down, and then at the top of the next hour you can do that. And usually when people start that way, three weeks later they're like, I'm only checking it twice a day now, Megan, this is magical, But I think from a work perspective, email is the biggest waste of time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely agreed. All right, We're going to take one more quick ad break and then I will be back with more from Megan Summrew. Well, I am back talking with Megan Sumrel who is a time management expert host of the Work Life Harmony podcast. So I'm curious. This is a show called Before Breakfast. Do you have a morning routine or something you do most mornings at least I do.
Speaker 2: And you know, I talk a lot about the importance of morning routines. I do differentiate a morning routine versus a morning task list. So for me, when I talk about a morning routine, I'm talking about the things I do just for myself that fuel me, that fill me up for the day, that allow me to wake up, you know, interact with my family in a way where I'm coming and I'm pleasant as opposed to like, you know, kind of gritchy mode. So my morning routine is not what you'd hear from a typical productivity expert. I don't meditate, I don't journal, I don't do yoga, I don't drink lemon water. I do what works for me. So I get up before my family. I come downstairs, I make a cup of coffee, I let my dogs out, and I take my warm cup of coffee and I do four games in the New York Times Games app every morning first thing, and then I actually review my plan for the day that that reduces my overwhelming anxiety, so I can kind of like, see, Okay, here's what's coming for the day, so I'm i am level set for that. And then, depending upon the day of the week, if I'm driving or if my husband's driving our daughter to school, some days, I go in and actually do my first email process after I've done that, because that quiets my anxiety of knowing is there anything out there looming that I need to adjust for for the day. So if I'm driving her to school, I do plan in that quick little email check before then, and if not, once that's done, then I shift into kind of morning taskless mode of you know, being with the family, making breakfast, packing lunches, walking dogs, all of that, and then it's hit the showers and ready to roll for work.
Speaker 1: Ready to roll. Yeah, I love the games. It's always a good way wake up your brain as well. I've always loved logic puzzle all of that. So that's like my warm cup of coffee and my New York Times games app is how I start every day. I love it. I love it. So a question I ask every guest on this show is what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome.
Speaker 2: The I've done this a few times recently. It is I think the biggest challenge that everyone has is honoring and protecting time for themselves when things start getting crazy. The first thing we let go of is that time that you had blocked for yourself, whether it was to go for that you know, squeeze in a workout over lunch that you know is great for you, or have dinner with that friend. And then all of a sudden things work starts getting crazy, everything's to get crazy. We start canceling those and double down on work in an effort to think that that's actually going to get us on top of things and feel better. And I recently just went through our busiest season here for you know, over the entire year during.
Speaker 1: For the pink Bee.
Speaker 2: And the first thing I always block off thirty minutes every day on my calendar to practice my cello, and I usually do that kind of after lunch, and that's my me time. It resets me for the rest of the day. And I started finding myself letting that go because I was like, well, I'll just get it thirty minutes in for work, and so I reset it for a week and said, no matter what, no matter how busy things are, I'm honoring that. And those five days were the most productive, the most calming, the most fulfilling for myself in what on paper would have looked like a really bad decision right from a work perspective, But it's just that that recognition of turning your brain off for a little while and doing something for you what you're able to then come back and do when you've had that break is kind of ten X level, And so I would say honoring that for the week changed the entire week from one that was going to be good to begin with and productive to amazing and hyper productive.
Speaker 1: Playing music is such a soothing, calming, enjoyable activity. Do you do this more for yourself?
Speaker 2: For you?
Speaker 1: An ensemble?
Speaker 2: Someone I don't know, God, no, I don't let anyone listen. So it's just it's a goal I'd had for years. Was I always wanted to learn how to play the cello. I do not have a background in and I played other instruments as a child, but never a stringed instrument. And so it's been about two and a half years now I finally said I'm gonna do this, So I found a cello rental place and found a teacher that was willing to teach an adult nubie and I do this just one hundred percent for myself.
Speaker 1: I love that because yes, you can rent any instrument. I have multiple children who have all rented every instrument under the sun for school band. And you know, you don't think about doing it for yourself. But they don't only rent to school children.
Speaker 2: And I if for myself last month was I actually just went and bought my very own cello. Now now that I know, I love this and I'm enjoying enjoying learning it, and it's just it's fun time for me, and it feels it just fills a void that was missing in my life of something I really love in. But it's interesting when you're like, do you do this for an ensemble or not? I see so many adults we feel like we're not allowed to do something just for a hobby, and we fall in this trap of like, I'll see it with women all the time. Oh, I picked back up knitting or crochet and I started making hats. And now all of a sudden they've got an Etsy shop and they've turned it into a business or I make cookies and now I've got a cookie business, or I'm woodworking and now I'm making things, and then they end up hating it because they've We feel like, and I think it's maybe a gen X thing too as well, we feel like we're not allowed to do anything just for the sheer joy of doing it. We have to find some way to make it quote productive or of value. So I had people started asking like, oh, you are you going to perform a piece, and I went, nope, because it's going to ruin it for me. I'm just doing this for me.
Speaker 1: I think, well it could go both ways though, right because I think these things we do that we love, it's also fun to do it with other people who love it too, And so I mean, you know, performing with it ensemble could be like, well, yeah, friends who play straight and that's even better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a hangout jam session. Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Megan, what's something that you are looking forward to right now? I am looking forward to honestly, the month of December. I very intentionally plan for a real wind down, and because of the way we do plan and manage our time with both the business and personally, I am looking forward to closing offices for several days, and then I actually pretty much just disappear for the last two weeks of the year and just spend time with family, friends, let my creative energy rest. And so I'm just really looking forward to doing a whole lot of nothing for a couple of weeks. Guilt free sounds great, sounds great. So, Megan, where can people find you?
Speaker 2: So again, if you're a podcast listener, obviously you can come check out the Work Life Harmony podcast. And if you're interested in learning a little bit about what this planning framework is, I've got an app in both the App Store and Google Play. It's totally free. The app is just called the pink Bee All one Word, and when you download that and log in, there's some free training and they're already preloaded. It kind of gives you an introduction to what's called the top framework, and it just kind of gives you some quick wins that you can implement right now, right now.
Speaker 1: I love it. Excellent. Well, Megan, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback on this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.