Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off in style.
Speaker 2: You wanna welcome you back home?
Speaker 1: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: We scared her? Was it fine? Malcorn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride?
Speaker 2: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgera.
Speaker 1: Hello. I feel like it's been twenty four hours since I've seen you.
Speaker 2: Care it has been less than two four hr. I was trying to be cute. Sorry it didn't work. I doubt that was adorbs. What's your favorite slang these days? Chris?
Speaker 1: I like, I'd just like to abbreathe pretty much? Any word?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Any agree? I'm being totally sarcastic. I don't. I have a problem with abbreviating words, especially when the abbreviation is.
Speaker 2: Like the same syllables, where it's not really saving time. There's not an efficiency element happening.
Speaker 1: For instance, there's a bar near my house called Little Joy. Pretty easy to say Little Joy. A lot of people call it LJ. I think that that's the same amount of effort, really, pound for pound.
Speaker 2: Don't you agree, Let's let's have a couple of minutes of silence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have the same feeling where I think it doesn't make matter or anything. But I do observe a lot of people putting a ton of effort. It seems into thinking of stuff like that when I don't get the benefit of it. Although except for the benefit of sometimes if you feel maybe you are a deep down nerd growing up that suddenly this is a thing that makes you feel cool, So it's like a self soothing mechanism.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, yeah, like, uh, you know, are are on her someone that actually says lol, which is actually harder to say than laugh out loud.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'd have to consult with a linguist, but lol is actually difficult. That's the ol. Lol is a tongue twister.
Speaker 2: Did you hear the There was a there was a like a grandma type that thought lol meant lots of love? So on Facebook when Facebook came out, so there would be like a post about someone who died, and she would go thinking of you lol and would put lol on everything. Oh my, inappropriately, it's the best.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, that makes me want to cry. Everything does these days, Chris, Are you okay? Oh, it's just I keep thinking about all the lots of laughs I have after someone passes.
Speaker 4: It just gotten to me.
Speaker 2: It does make you feel good about.
Speaker 1: At funerals, it's me chuckling in the corner, giggling. Oh, I can't stop.
Speaker 2: The one time at a funeral, it was a Catholic Mass, and then we came back from receiving the Eucharist at Communion and you have to go kneel in your pew and think about what a bad person you are. And so me and my sister went back, and my dad was already in the pew and he was kneeling, so his pant leg was pulled up, and he was wearing a pair of socks that said I'm sixty with an exclamation point, and my sister and I could not help playing. It was like at the height of the most serious, quiet part of the funeral.
Speaker 1: And he was probably getting mad, and it's like, hey, it's your fault. Funny socks.
Speaker 2: You put on the most hilarious socks you could find for this funeral, sir, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You're showing them off almost on purpose. I'm very excited for today's guest.
Speaker 2: I am too.
Speaker 1: Not only does he make me laugh pretty effortlessly, he's someone I haven't seen for a long time, and we'll talk about the last time I saw him, because maybe there's a story there, let's hope. So thank you.
Speaker 2: Clubs and colleges all over.
Speaker 1: So many colleges, a lot of clubs and colleges, lots of them. And uh and you you know him as an actor as well. Put your hands together at home, clap alone for Josh Batam please who Josh.
Speaker 3: Hi, Thanks for having me on this podcast. I already know that it's going to be a lot of fun. Spoilers to those listening already spoilers, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because you were just listening to our warm ups. And even if there weren't a lot of yucks in there, there was yuck potential.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was yucks and yuck potential.
Speaker 3: I mean, in fact, I had to stifle myself from LMAO, love my fucking ass off, l M l m fao l m A f love my assing fuck off I had, I was.
Speaker 4: I was rolling on the floor loving.
Speaker 2: Yes, the love it's all here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look, you look good, Josh you thank you. Chris looked like a young Mike Patten from Faith No.
Speaker 4: More, oh I do. I always thought he was handsome, very handy. Is he known for being handsome?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: I always thought he was handsome.
Speaker 3: Even with the first video epic, the epic video, which there's a slang word I don't use in the connotation they used.
Speaker 4: They you know, I don't call things epic in that way.
Speaker 3: No, never have, No, I don't think I I don't if I have. It wasn't when it started catching on in the way that it's now caught on and probably coming gone right, you know what I mean? Like that was an epic thing or that's so epic, or what an epic fail?
Speaker 4: Or whatever? Yes, I would I wouldn't use that.
Speaker 1: It was very overused in the snowboard community to describe the quality of snow right, epo, oh how was it today?
Speaker 4: Up there?
Speaker 1: It was epic? And I I lived in a community where I would cringe every time I heard it, and then pretty soon, wouldn't you know it?
Speaker 3: I started saying epic. Oh, I know when that happens and you feel like, what have I become?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, that's when I moved away and became a comedian.
Speaker 2: You had to move away from the language of the area. That's good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad, and now look what I've become.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was just going to say, maybe this is what you're going to say, is there? Were you going to say that that you do have a piece of slang that you like to use.
Speaker 4: It is a tough one and I may not know it until it comes out.
Speaker 3: It might come out organically, but it did really but and you know, I do, I do steer clear of using the modern slang that went, you know, whatever's online or whatever I'm hearing, And if I start to notice that it's gets set, something gets set a lot.
Speaker 4: I start to resent it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means if I'm just older, or why I start maybe because it's.
Speaker 4: Like the equivalent of like water cooler humor or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just and I really hate on a television show when there's like a young character or a quirky character and they try to plug stale terms like got like a character goes I'm tots.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Hashtags.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and these are supposed to be substitutions for interesting character or a funny character or whatever. Oh my god, I'm totes freaking out over here or whatever whatever someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that a really fun version of noticing when how out of touch they that show, Uh Saved by the Bell was, because clearly you're realizing it's being written by a bunch of old white guys in a writing room, and they're writing for high school kids. Yeah, and so all the slang is like, oh that that kid's a good egg or whatever. It's something that kids didn't say in the eighties. But it's just a room of dudes with catheters writing.
Speaker 3: I'm just gee, golly, I'm not so peachy after all.
Speaker 1: Exactly, just leave it to beaver language.
Speaker 3: Oh I had a I did think of a thing something you said about Oh, whenever I said what have I become? I I thought, I have a joke that I make to if I'm ever visiting a friend and they've got kids, you know what I mean, especially in Oklahoma, because it's where I like, if I see someone like my friend Rob has a.
Speaker 4: Son named Harvey, and if I when.
Speaker 3: I met Harvey or were I'm dinner at his house and Harvey's running around every time he passed by, I go, hey, Harvey, my name's Josh. I'm friends with your diet, which is like, you know, I just remember. I feel like someone always said, hey.
Speaker 1: Are you Bruce's son?
Speaker 4: My name so and so I'm friends with your diet.
Speaker 3: And uh, and I was a friend of mine, like last year's name. His name's Chris, and he has son named Miles. Oh, this is my Hi Miles, I'm Josh.
Speaker 4: I'm friend with your diad and did the joke again.
Speaker 3: And then oh, about a week later, I was at the park, uh, walking my dog and there was a playground. The park's connected to a school playground, and I see it was kind of familiar, and he's still looking at me, like that guy was kind of familiar, and I realized, oh, is that Chrismas son.
Speaker 1: I said, hey, are you Chris's son?
Speaker 3: And he nods yes to go, oh, I'm Josh, I'm friends with your dad.
Speaker 4: And then I stopped and said, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, you organically stay I became the character.
Speaker 4: Yes, I became the character.
Speaker 2: That you mocked.
Speaker 3: See it now, Now I understood all those men who said I'm friends with your dad what they were going through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a way of saying, I'm not a pedophile.
Speaker 3: And my friends with your dad. No fucked eye contact. But this was only because you remind me of a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: No funny business.
Speaker 4: I have a dog which I do not want you to pet.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, stay away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the eighties, you had to kind of explain yourself, you know. Yeah, yeah, around you just everyone was being kidnapped. You know, you have to say, I just want you to know I know your parents.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then but then the kidnappers use that line. I'm sure too, Yeah, exactly right, that's right. All they had to say is I know your parents, Brad and Linda, and they were pretty likely to get the name.
Speaker 4: You know, get some parents' names, right.
Speaker 1: I was on the cover of the local paper because I would walk kids to school, because I had a stop sign so I could walk myself to school. And then they started bringing me to a daycare before kiddergarten. So a photographer for the newspaper multiple times put me in the paper. And this is like an eighties thing. I don't know why they did it. They literally put Chris Fairbanks walks his friend to school. His parents are named Land and Jim, and he lives at one oh five Kensington Avenue, like they put my address, they put my parents' name, they put everything you need to lure me, and I don't know. It's to this day, I can't. I can't figure out why they would do that. And I've been meaning to go get it, go to the library and find that on the Microfilmiche yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I gotta I gotta prove it. I gotta prove that that was the caption.
Speaker 3: Well, if you did, I hope we can steer the conversation in a different direction. But I was gonna say, if you did tragically get abused in some way and you're looking for a settlement, I think you have someone to uh sue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they would have got a case with this microphone. Here is the evidence.
Speaker 3: They put you in the firing line of the perverts and you want to collect.
Speaker 1: It's funny, but it's a grievance I have. That happened in my forties, and I still want to blame that article.
Speaker 4: I was walking that same round.
Speaker 1: If it weren't for this, I would have nailed that audition for the office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, son of a Bitch paper Yeah, oh gosh, uh.
Speaker 1: You Yeah, my my favorite thing, Josh, that you've done. I really like you on Better Call Saul, But thank you the Liz Lemon's what were you like her agent or.
Speaker 4: Some Simon was the character's name. He was a pety dog agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were so funny on that because on that you were a version of yourself. On Better Call Saul, you're totally different than who you are. You're like a cool aloof guy.
Speaker 4: But he's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Well, he's like.
Speaker 2: He's like a video guy, you know, he's like he's like the guy that's like, hey man, we got to get this thing done. Their business like it that I observed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah. It's what we're saying is you're good actor because you're being someone that I don't.
Speaker 5: Know you to be.
Speaker 2: You do have range range.
Speaker 4: Look at it's interesting.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you're said because about acting.
Speaker 4: You know, really you're interacting. You were using no.
Speaker 3: Matter what you're playing, you're using a piece of yourself to play so you know that character doesn't exist somewhere inside you know, me, somewhere.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I wouldn't take it.
Speaker 3: Out on a daily basis, but you know there is a piece of meeting there somewhere.
Speaker 2: You know, the faces of Josh, We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: You know, when you know you're listening to like Terry Grosser, Elvis Mitchell and when they get real uh.
Speaker 1: You know, serious, and they right right. Thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because and then asked a question like, so, but don't you.
Speaker 5: Think that there's a possibility that about the in the album when the album came out, because your first book and when it was publish blah blah blah. But isn't it possible that blah blah blah question one way of looking at it.
Speaker 4: Well, yes and no. They do that a lot.
Speaker 2: Deep talks.
Speaker 3: They go, well, yeah, yes, and it is isn't it isn't.
Speaker 1: This isn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, means it isn't. Yes, this is this isn't. Actually, but thank you for that question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything else perfectly enunciated, except.
Speaker 4: As it isn't. This is this isn't.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny you asked that because this isn't. Sorry, and I am as these says, is this these says it isn't. He's a good friend. Yeah, I like to bring him.
Speaker 4: He said it isn't, but it is, you know, yes and no.
Speaker 2: Does that answer your question, Terry?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Terry gives me Terry gross.
Speaker 3: She's one of those people I don't want to know what she looks like, and if someone shows me a picture, I'm like, I didn't want to know.
Speaker 4: I like coming up with it myself.
Speaker 2: You know what, what do you picture her to look?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like a little lady with like, you know, kind of like oh, either like either a either a Bob haircut or a George Clooney George Clooney er when he had the Caesar haircut.
Speaker 1: Angular haircut.
Speaker 3: You're actually very close, you think, so maybe she's got glasses. Yep, yeah, yeah, maybe she's recently. You know, maybe when you saw her at one point when she was younger, she had a kind of a oh you know, like a dirty blonde colored hair.
Speaker 4: But now she's gone totally gray.
Speaker 3: And you're like, oh, Terry went totally gray since I've seen her last.
Speaker 1: Because because it looks more intellectual, right right, Yes, of course, Terry is not a dier. She's not going to die.
Speaker 2: No, no way, no way, especially not in quarantine.
Speaker 1: But if you want someone to take you seriously with what you're saying, it's best to let your hair go gray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I'm going I got a little bit of gray.
Speaker 1: And I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got like a one or two, you know, I love them.
Speaker 2: I don't I have all gray. I have to dye my hair every three weeks and I don't. I don't love it. But this is the difference between men and women, and I wanted to bring this up at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Sure we can cut in just to introduce the premise.
Speaker 2: We'll cut it back.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're just starting now, beginning of the conversation. And uh yeah, Karen, you had somethings for coming to my show. Now you had something to say about gray hair going.
Speaker 2: Men and women.
Speaker 4: Different, they're different. But how they different?
Speaker 2: Different hair, different cares.
Speaker 3: That interesting, different haircuts, different different haircares, big cares different about their hair, kids different.
Speaker 4: Thank you for listening to talk topic.
Speaker 1: Top topic. You know where men and women aren't different anymore? The world of soccer. Did you see today?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Hey, no professional soccer's prize money. It's a start. It's a start, and it's started with soccer.
Speaker 2: It's a positive. It's true in a negative time. It's a huge positive.
Speaker 3: Women's soccer league will make the same amount of money as the men's soccer league.
Speaker 4: Is what you said?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so do soccer players.
Speaker 4: They're not, they're not. They all get paid the same.
Speaker 2: I wonder, I wonder there's there's no like executive producer. There's more a consulting producer.
Speaker 1: I bet soccer player, a goalie makes more than like a left a full back. I don't know if that's a position. I don't have fake soccer talk, nor do I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have a good you know when the improvisers they come up with the fake ones, Oh we love it when they do that.
Speaker 2: God, some of them are just so knowledgeable about every single thing in detail where they can snap right into like a soccer bit.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, can't.
Speaker 4: I can't do it. I can't even do a fake one.
Speaker 3: But sometimes the funny improvisers, they they don't know about it, but they just got a good, you know, jargon they go they tap into the jargon talk real good.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do that. You see me do it? Yeah, where you confidently bullshit and and people if they're watching, they're like, I think he knows exactly what he's talking about. Or you're just rolling with it.
Speaker 4: Baby, I've seen you do it.
Speaker 1: I've seen you. I've admire you do it.
Speaker 4: Karen, I've seen you do it.
Speaker 2: Have you this is the best?
Speaker 3: I guess it's probably you know, sometimes you got it and sometimes you don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true. It's based on the night, it's based on the drive over, It's based on your bet, your experience, how comfortable you feel. Here's what I think. It's interesting improv And Josh, have you done both improv and stand up comedy?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, do you find and it's just improv is easier because there's more help, there's more support, and there's more acceptance of whatever's happening. Yeah, there's a post stand up comedy where you have to do it right every fifteen seconds or you're failing.
Speaker 1: Right, and the audience will the animosity I think because we talked about this with Mary Holland, I feel like the reason I started to have animosity towards improv is the audience was always on their side right and they're like, hey, I don't care that that didn't work. They're just making it up. But the minute someone doesn't like your stand up, they cross their arms and they actually want to fight you. Yeah, Ryan, I don't see that with bad improv, Like I don't see people boo.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I remember.
Speaker 3: I remember, like when I did the Groundlings, and every class it was like, you know, let's they give a base applause for the scene to begin, so you're walking in on you know, you're walking in on a heavenly you know. Even in let the classes okay, okay, good and yeah, okay go, you know, and the the shows were like that too, And I guess it probably was the same at the UCB improv shows, which I didn't do a lot of improv there.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I agree, I guess. I mean sometimes with stand up though, I guess it's just it's case by case, you know. Sometimes it's like wow, I'm on stage, can do no wrong, and then it's on stage like hey, I'm doing all wrong.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's like oh I lost him, Oh I got to work hard to get them back, or and I but I've also done improv where it's like wow, I have no idea how to hook into what you know if it if you're in like I don't know, stale improv mode, you're like, I don't know how to add on to what they're saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. I forgot the rules, I forgot the tools. That was his idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let him go with that question about comedy. I'll only talk about failing.
Speaker 2: That's what sticks in your mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you ever? I don't call any money.
Speaker 4: I've been bad.
Speaker 2: I can't take it.
Speaker 4: I can't take the compliment. I've got to pooh pooh them.
Speaker 3: Don't comment me too hard because I've been bad before.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, I've seen you do stand up where you are making it all up and maybe there's a few jokes in there, but you are just flying and in a way that I haven't seen a lot of people do where you were actually making it all up like you're when you did those whole shows where you're just falling down. For first of all, I thought at some point you would have had to have gotten injured. Huh, did you ever see Karen? Did you see Josh Stewit's thirty minutes of falling down.
Speaker 2: I never saw thirty minutes. I've seen videos of him fall down, and I've seen it live shows.
Speaker 1: Right right, there's a time where you're cleaning that video where you're cleaning up in the park and you roll down the hill and stop at a tree trash can and then immediately start cleaning up again. But the but the let me tell you about the things you've done. Jobs one time makes you feel like special. The show you where you get tangled and people.
Speaker 4: Are listening and they don't know it, they better go check it out.
Speaker 2: They can check it out.
Speaker 1: Josh fatim fa d em YouTube. But I always thought you had to have gotten injured at some point wrestling with a stool and a mic stands in the cord with how bad I knew it. I didn't even know this, but I knew the deeds.
Speaker 3: I broke my wrist twice twice, yeah one.
Speaker 4: I did it in twenty fourteen, real bad.
Speaker 3: I had to have surgery, and then in twenty nine and then I kind of slowed down doing so much of that because I would just do it recklessly always. And then twenty nineteen I was doing a longer show and I was like, I'm on fire. It's going great. I could do no wrong. Might as well throw in some of that. I didn't do a lot of that physical shtick at this show. Might as well throwing Oh, I bet I can go nuts in the I'm feeling them.
Speaker 4: And then I did something.
Speaker 3: And then I slapped my arm on the ground strangely, and I was like, it didn't hurt real bad. Something felt weird and I could feel in my you know, pinky and indeck or pinky and ring fingers, like something seems strange. And then and then it was mostly fine. But by the end of the night when I got home, I couldn't straighten my arm out.
Speaker 4: And then and then I think I.
Speaker 3: After eventually went to the doctor and he said, I think you broke your radial neck, which is I guess the part of the arm. But they call it, yeah, they called there's a it's right. I don't know if this is airing or you know, if you could have to describe it the part of the arm that's near the elbow or something. I think I snapped. I think because of the first break. Probably it made a different part of the arm susceptible. I mean it was in a major I didn't have to do anything except for physical therapy for the second one. But the big one was, you know, twenty fourteen, I was a show at UCB, and I remember I felt like the audience was kind of stiff, and I was like, it's you know, I was like, oh. As soon as I walked out, I go, oh, this is kind of a dud, and so I started saying something and then I just I think I just tossed my body in a really reckless way with my feet in the air and landed and I'm not sure how I landed, but I like felt the oh shoot, you know which the audience four different ways.
Speaker 1: Did they see your wrist?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went, I went, oh.
Speaker 3: Well, first, before I even looked at it, I said, oh, I think I broke my wrist, and then the audience.
Speaker 4: Went ha ha. That's I was going to ask.
Speaker 1: Did they laugh at you while your bone was?
Speaker 3: They laughed that, And then I looked and then I saw the bone like not, you know, protruding.
Speaker 4: I said, oh, that's not what the risk is supposed to look like.
Speaker 3: And then I said, oh, I really broke it, and then they went oh, And then.
Speaker 4: It was it was I also had this like.
Speaker 3: You know, the built in comedian, you know, thing of commitment, thing of like show must go on.
Speaker 4: You know, like doesn't you gotta don't stop performing for.
Speaker 3: Nothing, you know, and uh, and then I started hearing that voice, and then I thought, does it you know? This is UCB and I have a broken wrist. And I stood there for a second like I don't know what to do. I broke my wrist. Should I tell a joke? And then they were kind of like we don't know, you know, they just stood there when I said, you know, I guess I'll go to the hospital.
Speaker 4: I broke my wrist, Okay, bye, And then I remember.
Speaker 3: Like it was very like it was right after I came on stage, Like I went on stage, broke it immediately, and then I was like, oh, I better go, and you know, they bring you on to a song and then they plays off for the different song. I remember like whatever the song was, it was like the same song right.
Speaker 4: Away, you know.
Speaker 3: And then I kind of wandered around the back of UCB like embarrassed and kind of in shock, like I don't know what to do because it did really hurt and it did literally look very broken, you know, and I was holding my wrist and then I remember I think I think it was like I think it was Cody Fisher, who was running the house at the time. She was like, Josh, are you okay. I was like, uh, I brought my wrist and then I was like trying. I was like planning to just walk to my car and go somewhere. And then like so someone that was working, you know, drove me the emergency room and.
Speaker 1: Now oh my god. Yeah, and then there was a big ride up in Variety about how you you had a soft clothes, you didn't have a hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: It was on one of those you remember way back in the in the comedy days of la and like, oh, I mean it was probably like fifteen, six seventeen years ago at this point. The website that everyone they put the reviews of everyone sets on remember those days, and the biggest fear that we had a special thing, right, yeah, it was a special thing. And the biggest fear was like, oh, I hope they don't write something. I hope they write I was funny, any special thing.
Speaker 1: I fully forgot about that. I would look up my name to punish myself need what people said. Yeah, it was pre like before you paid attention to YouTube comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were some names on there. I don't remember mog remember. I hope Jouster thought I was funny or.
Speaker 1: Whatever that was.
Speaker 2: I used to look at that website from work because I had stopped doing stand up comedy and I didn't this. It was such a strange time because it was like I stopped doing stand up to work to take a TV job in like two thousand and two, and that's kind of when like the internet became a thing and it was just a whole new generation in a very different way that comedy started working. And so like just every once in a while I would look for my name on a website like that when I was never doing comedy were the weirdest. It was very sad.
Speaker 1: Maybe nostalgically I'll be mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's gonna which is like what but it started.
Speaker 3: Out happen It started out like a mister show like fan side or was it you start out a Tenacious dfan side and a mister share like a both mister show.
Speaker 4: So I mean that makes sense really a little.
Speaker 3: But no, it makes sense that, like you know, there would be some Karen discussion on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so. But also I think it was more like it was like an mbr Ish kind of thing.
Speaker 4: I Margo.
Speaker 3: Those were oh if you could get up, if only I could get up at Largo on Fairfax, across from Kibbet's room, not the Future one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and we knew about the future. Well that's how thought forward thinking we were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to get I sure would like to get on the Future one, but I really want to get on the Fairfax one here in two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: That's where I want to the present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I honestly I did not know you were injured. I was I've seen you go full buster Keaton like a guy who comedically broke his back.
Speaker 3: Right had a broken neck for it, like until when he was older he was like, your neck's broken, says the doctor.
Speaker 1: Still, Oh that was one of my bits. Yeah, where I fell off a building into a moving car.
Speaker 4: It's it's actually here's where my put my nerd hat on.
Speaker 3: It's was this short where he he uh falls out of a water tower or water thing and then the water floods on top of him and when he fell out, he hit he hit a railroad track and he stood up and it's on film supposedly unless the general No.
Speaker 4: I think it was one of the shorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it was, uh you said he broke his neck.
Speaker 3: He like, yeah, I guess he broke his neck and uh by hitting like it was like on.
Speaker 1: The on a railroad and like yeah, and then they just put it in the movie. That's he didn't know it.
Speaker 4: He put it in the movie. He was like, a smart movie.
Speaker 1: I like it. He probably didn't know that he broke He's like, it still hurts, but good shot. Yeah, the studio which I own won't approve if I bow out early, which I own until until the studio that I own now but will eventually be uh sign a contract with MGM, where I won't have the freedom that I have now with to perform with a broken neck.
Speaker 4: He said it like that, Yeah exactly. He knew. Yeah, he knew it was coming.
Speaker 1: And then even back then he was like, God, I hope I get to perform at the future Largo.
Speaker 4: Right, I hope.
Speaker 3: I hope this is where I get discovered by Raymond roe Hower, who will be who will discover my films in a basement, and then I'll have a resurgence and start being in TV commercials.
Speaker 4: Hopefully that will happen.
Speaker 1: He knew the names. Yep, yeah, yeah, fingers crossed Josh.
Speaker 2: When you were you, like as a teen, was the physical stuff something that you did, like for fun or to make your friends left?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: How did you get to the point where you were doing stuff like that on stage? Was it a thing that you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I think I probably did, like lots of following and stuff, and like, you know, I actually wasn't in in middle school, like I was real into Charlie Chaplin, you know. I'm sure I saw the the Robert Downey Junior biopic and then that made me watch the real Chaplain stuff and then and uh, and then I I got more in a Buster Keaton I think, like, you know, it wasn't on TV as much, and I got more into Buster Keaton like in my late teens and stuff. But but I would try to copy those guys without any kind of training or anything like that. So I now I don't do it really as much now just because I'm like, oh, getting older or whatever. But uh, but yeah, I did definitely try to do it and be that that sticky guy.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, you know, what's funny is I interviewed Jackie Chan once for some movie press junket. Wow, and he was really sweet and he had a translator. He actually doesn't speak English very well. He he learned lines for movies.
Speaker 4: Fanatically and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But he he said his heroes were Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. And he's not a martial artist. The guy who was his translator was actually also his fight fight choreographer. Wow. But he said he just wanted to physically be a physical comedian. Yeah, he loved comedy and he loved physical comedy. That blew me away because he came this, became this action star.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he's I feel like he's like, uh, I think that he's credited for being like one of the first, you know, martial arts stars to react with pain. And that's kind of why it was funny. Yeah, that's what I think they say.
Speaker 4: I know it. I don't know why I'm acting like I think they said this.
Speaker 3: I just don't want to like alienate everyone by by turning into a video store clerk.
Speaker 4: Well that's what the.
Speaker 3: Reason he did, was Goes. He actually he would he would portray Payne. So, oh, I want to say, yeah, he is a drunken master.
Speaker 1: Yeah it works.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How long did you work at that video store? What was that?
Speaker 3: I worked at the video store Centiphile right by the New Art uh for ten years from twenteow o three to twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Well, Josh, did you was that?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: I just remember that there was a stand up show there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a stand up show. I think I had both of you on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did it a few times.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was very excited to do that because because partly because it was such a cool hit video store. Yeah, and then partly because I was doing stand up again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was back.
Speaker 4: I was bad.
Speaker 3: I haven't been doing stand up or really live performing since the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The last time I saw you, I showed up for a show in the basement of a bar in Denver, and I was because.
Speaker 4: It was a February twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: That's when we that's we last sight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it was February twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Month I was like, what am I? I don't want to be here and you were there. I was in a bad mood and you were in a great mood, and you put me in a good mood and then you killed it. You were so funny. Do you remember how well that show went for you?
Speaker 3: I do, Yeah, I do remember that show because it was like one of the last ones, I feel like before the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were just on the whole time, and you were riffing. Most of it, I feel was unplanned.
Speaker 3: I would say about half of it if my memory, I had the I had the set, but then there was like I had some family there and some friends you know that lived in Colorado, and then.
Speaker 4: There I remember that show.
Speaker 3: There was a guy who I'm sure he laughed at everyone this loud, but he was having a hoot hollering time. Yeah, he laughing, Yeah, like it hurt bug, like you said, every joke shot we were shooting him.
Speaker 1: And he was older guy, bald, he's a he's a he's a fixture in audiences in Denver. Yes, sweet guy. Yeah, his name is Dave.
Speaker 3: I think Dave Caldwell is his name. Yes, Yeah, I think I think we're Facebook friends now.
Speaker 1: And I love his laugh. A lot of people thrown off by it.
Speaker 4: You need that.
Speaker 1: You know me too. I made a point he was banned from a show or banned from certain comics.
Speaker 4: Let's let's out the banner now.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 4: No one goes to that banner.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you after we're done recording.
Speaker 4: We don't don't want to smeare them. You don't want to ruin there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't do another smear campaign because then you'll be banned from the banner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we need that, you need that banner.
Speaker 1: Everything is cyclical banners listening.
Speaker 3: But I have been doing stand up for twenty years, so you can text me his name. Let's say I think the banner is Jerry Jifferson.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jippy Jerry gips. But I made a point last time I saw Dave Caldwell to say, this is my favorite audience person in Denver. I'm so excited whenever he is up front of a show. And I could tell it made him feel good because he is so dedicated to watching. He loves yeah, all the shows, all this.
Speaker 2: Why would you have a problem with the person laughing loud is because do people misinterpret what he's doing?
Speaker 1: It is a startling he it is a version of what Josh did, but louder like. He just goes bad like it sounds like a.
Speaker 4: Dog, abusing.
Speaker 3: Like James and Domian when when we were used to have a laugh so loud, like I remember, I've known James forever, and like we did the growlings and stand up and all that, and.
Speaker 1: Like his laugh.
Speaker 4: And just it was.
Speaker 3: It was usually you would hear from the back and you would know, like James is here good? Yeah, but yeah Dave Caldwell.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: As soon as I was done with the show or later, I was like, he's a fixed And then I felt like, oh, I bet you whatever stick I was doing about enjoying his laugh like on stage, and like I thought I was so original when I was staying that, I bet like half the comedians like, what's.
Speaker 4: Going on with your great laugh?
Speaker 1: I love this laugh? Oh laugh?
Speaker 4: Can we give it up for this guy's laugh? It's like I could do anything and get a laugh when this guy's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he heard that a lot, and I think he appreciated it.
Speaker 4: Yeah he must.
Speaker 3: How do you feel when you're riff when you realize your riff is an original and your riff is a cliche?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate that when you're in a new city and it's like, yeah, everyone makes fun of our bridge that looks like a penis right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, have you ever done a thing where you think you're riffing on stage and it's really original and you realize you're just repeating someone else's joke.
Speaker 4: The last comic I used to do that.
Speaker 2: You know what I do. I used to do that all the time with Blaine capatches jokes because I have known Blaine forever, like when I started in San Francisco, he was like a you know, fixture in San Francisco. I've seen him do stand up so much that like, and I love his comedy so much that I remember all of it. So then i'd be It'd be like one topic would come up and I'd be like, say something, and then I'd have to go, that's blank. I just like thinking that. I'm just like, oh, yeah, I just had the best idea, and it's like, no, you didn't have a perfect joke appear in your head.
Speaker 4: I believe that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, I was gonna say I I can remember there was a period of time when I would when I was starting to do more like you know, coming of age as a comedian and you start riffing more on stage or you're like, hey, I can just like stretch his oack, I can just keep talking, I can keep finding jokes or whatever. And I realized, like, I'm, oh, I'm doing it, but I'm sometimes I'm doing it like Andy Kindler does it. And I realized it was like I had a little bit of like yep, persona theft or a riff theft or whatever, yeah that.
Speaker 1: Is, and I, like Karen just said, sometimes I'd take it so far where I would do his line, which is or a third thing that is.
Speaker 3: Funny, yeah, you come up, yeah, and another thing and a third one.
Speaker 1: And a third thing that caps it off in a way that you enjoy. Like I've said, I'm like, oh, I just did basically his material.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I think I think it's because when you see a person and they make you laugh so hard, when you believe yourself to be this experienced comedian that's seen it all and you know what I mean, like no one's funny whatever, and then you see someone that does it like it really would burn itself into my brain. So then it is, you know, that is the difficulty of like riffing and giving yourself the chance to be original or think of something new. But at the same time, your brain is already filled with all these people that you adore that have made you laugh so hard you're like, oh my god, I'm gonna remember this forever.
Speaker 1: So they should take it as a compliment. When we even when we early on and we're doing this podcast and we would joke about having advertisers, I would make up fake commercials, and that's a Blaine capacity. Yeah, this moment brought to you by where there's candies or whatever. He did that all the time. And right now realizing.
Speaker 3: Another yeah, another Blaine when I'm sure I did on shows at one point or another that I feel like is totally Blaine. Is uh something like you know we have a clip of that right now or something. Yeah, you know, let's see the clip right now, Let's go to the clip.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the clip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely completely.
Speaker 3: There's I always felt like, uh, you remember also the thing that that that comedians are not really so much up in arms. You don't hear about, But there was a window of time probably like I don't know, five to twelve or something where.
Speaker 4: Joke thieves joke thieves.
Speaker 6: If you will joke dief, we will kill you for being a joke thief.
Speaker 3: But this is like, but now it's I don't know, there's there's way more egregious offenses. I guess in comedy, you don't hear people talking about that guy's a joke thief and he's going down with taking his career away from being a joke. I always was more off put by Cadence theft, right, you know what I mean? Yeah, that always seemed like a you know, person on a theft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd rather hear a stolen joke than another comic trying desperately to sound like Kyle kanane yea when they talk or where I started in Austin. It was also the era and the state where he came up, but everyone was trying to be edgy and sound like Bill Hicks. Everyone already opened my had four or five Bill Hicks wanna bees and they were actually smoking on stage and everything. Oh wow. You know, the biggest Old Hicks thief was Dennis Leary and he actually got famous from it right there. The Sorry if you're listening, Sorry Dennis, Sorry Denny. Dennis you've done well in your own right, Dennis. You got a great career, Dennis, you turned it into your own thing. Yes, I love the Fireman Show, Dennis. Will Dennis rescue me? Yeah, rescue me from this situation, Dennis, because I feel backed against wall Denny.
Speaker 4: If you don't, if you don't get people pissed.
Speaker 3: You about a bagging on Denny, You're gonna get a lot of Denny fans saying I listened to your podcasts you said the thing about Denny.
Speaker 4: I'm out of here.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna listen no more because you.
Speaker 4: You gotta apologize to me, Denny.
Speaker 2: Me, no, come back, come back that listener, Come back, one listener.
Speaker 1: You say goodbye to Jouster slash Denny Slashier, Jousterer, Jipperson, Jousterer, Jefferson. Yeah, yeah, your dog is very cute.
Speaker 4: Oh he's a very good boy.
Speaker 1: How long have you had that little boy, Bobby? I found him in March twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Can you believe it?
Speaker 1: That's a long time I've met that little boy. I always see that dog and I'm like, I'm friends with your dad. Yeah, Hi, Hi, Bobby, I'm friends with your Hi. Babby, and Nanny bites me basically.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have a dog that looks a lot like Bobby where she will not listen to me normally she comes, Blossom, where are.
Speaker 1: You, Blossom? Let's have a dog off. It's visual and people love to hear it.
Speaker 2: Because when Bobby first stood up, Bobby has two tan spots on him.
Speaker 4: Uh huh little coffee stains.
Speaker 2: Yes, so does she.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: She looks a lot like, hey, Camire, would you Frank? Not you Frank? He's not coming anyway. I don't know where she went. Blossom this definitely.
Speaker 4: For the sitcom character.
Speaker 2: Blossom was named this one and I got her from the rescue, and I was so scared of the rescue people that I didn't want to change her name because I was afraid they'd find out and somehow come back and be like, uh, you agreed actually in your paperwork that you would never change the dog's names.
Speaker 4: That they really make you agree to.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. But they were like they came and checked my house to make sure the yard was fenced. They were like, they were kind of intense in a way that I wasn't used to. So I assumed that they would be like they if I changed her name, It's like, here's my new dogs. I kind of wanted to name her Bertie.
Speaker 4: We will listening to your podcast.
Speaker 2: Check all my content. Yeah, Blossom came here.
Speaker 3: Bertie, well Bobby when his name was found, uh, when I found him he I found out that he had a name from the previous owner and it was Bobie, which I said, no, no, no and no no, not no, and so I wouldn't. I said, I'm not calling this guy that, and so I thought, I will confused and too much. But he does look like his name is Bobby, and so yes, he's Bobby.
Speaker 4: He took to it.
Speaker 2: Were the people from a different country or so with Boby, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I did speak to the previous on on the phone. There was no you know, accent or anything.
Speaker 1: Boby's sounds like yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe maybe it means something.
Speaker 1: I bought a car, My first car that I paid cash for when I was like early twenties, was a Buick Skyhawk. It was white like your dogs and the yeah, two coffee stains. That was me. That's how I christened the car. I broke a coffee on it the hood. But the woman that I bought it from asked me to please promise to call the the car Orville Wow, And I thought she was kidding and She said, will you continue to call the car Orville? And I was like, oh, you're you're crazy. Oh I thought that you were making a joke. Yes, I will call the car Orville. And you know what, I did call the car Orville, like in, hey, do you mind if I park Orville? Because it was funny to my friends. So I would have liked, you know.
Speaker 3: If you had started this story well when I drove Orville, when I first got Orville, because you still got to call it Orville.
Speaker 4: You know that that agreement doesn't end.
Speaker 3: You said you'd call the car Orville, and now you can't just call it a buick Skylark that you used to drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, Skyhawks, sky high hawks, sporty or much sport here. I just want to know let people know I still have style.
Speaker 3: That car talk just reminded me of the movie My Cousin Vinnie, which I caught on TV recently, And that is a funny movie.
Speaker 1: Yes it is.
Speaker 4: It holds up, it does, and Marissa.
Speaker 3: Tomey's performance better than ever age as well, very funny. Such a good accent, great accent, such a great timing.
Speaker 4: What were you gonna say?
Speaker 3: Great concept, great concept, great concept, well written script some good setups that pay off later in an annoying way.
Speaker 1: A script written by Dale Loner Dale. Dale wrote that and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and the War of the Roses and all all of his movies are about jilted lovers or divorce or getting revenge. And I sat next to him on an airplane going to the Aspen Comedy Festival. He just said he is a filmmaker. But he kept like pointing people out on the airplane. He's like, see her, we used to date.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: She was a real train wreck. And I'm like, I think she can maybe hear you. But he went to my show and then and then afterwards he sent me an email. He's like, pretty good stuff, but I wonder if in this joke, if you could tighten it up. He gave me notes.
Speaker 4: Dale stick to the script.
Speaker 1: He also offered like, if you ever want to learn about screenwriting, I'll sit down with you and we could think of ideas. And I really wish I had done that.
Speaker 4: You might still be able too. You got his email. You still got that.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'm worried now that he's listening along with the Dennis Leary.
Speaker 2: Well cut that part Dale's from from this moment forward, We're all pro Dale.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dale.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, the whole conversation started because we're all in agreement.
Speaker 1: How great Dale is. He's unbelievable is Yeah. He was a nice He was a nice guy. He just he had a lot of anger I think in Hiss his last relationship, you know, And that's normal.
Speaker 3: I just had a therapy session before this started, and uh, and I'm still.
Speaker 4: Sorting through my own stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're just where it's we're all works in progress. Dale's a work in progress. He's probably hopefully he's moved. He's moved past some of those issues with the Girl on the airplane.
Speaker 1: Or Yeah, he has a new movie. I can't remember what it's called, but it had been it had been like since the nineties, and he has a new good movie. Yeah, because those are all good comedies.
Speaker 2: That he you know what The Three Rotten Scoundrels is. I remember seeing it in the theater and my friend and I literally doing the gasp when the reveal comes at the end. We were just like, what, like, the whole thing was so ofesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Glenn Headley the whole time. Glenn Headley's a dirty rotten scoundrel too.
Speaker 2: She's the true dirty rotten scout.
Speaker 3: What was the name of her, the thing, you know, the you know, the you, the viper or the the Eagle or the that she had a con artist nickname.
Speaker 2: Remember, I got to watch it again.
Speaker 1: I gotta watch Let's have a Dale Loner a film Festival. Yeah.
Speaker 4: There, for sure, comedies from that era.
Speaker 3: Studio comedies from that era had like, well, they had like scripts, I feel like and like a they had a script written. It wasn't just like all improv improv with you know, the you know, with a handful of the up and coming comedians of the day peppered in. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they.
Speaker 3: Had real titles, you know, not just like the mall, the house, the dog tag door, Uh, bad Mom, bad Stinker, Date Night, rough Night, Bad Night, Hard Night, House Night, Nighthouse, Night Before, Young Knight, Bad Night, bad Mom, bad Stinker, bad Grandpa, bad, dirty, dirty Grandpa, bad Lawyer, bad plumber, bad Office, Christmas Party, thief, bad Fine, bad Boss, horrible Boss, the Boss, Horrible Bosses, Horrible bosses too.
Speaker 4: These are all the real comedies.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like the pitches are like uh yes, Okay, this is his.
Speaker 2: Funny imagic and I got noun ready.
Speaker 4: It's like this is the new the new I p in.
Speaker 3: Comedy is uh, hey, what if there was a garbage man and he's bad?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They just they have two dartboards and they spin them. One is of different occupations and the other one is of different situations. Yeah, or emotions.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It landed on sad firemen.
Speaker 2: Yeah and action.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He comes sliding about down the pole crying, I don't want to go.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go to the fire.
Speaker 4: This fireman is a bad fireman. Sad fireman. Okay, said this one's sad. It's not bad.
Speaker 2: The studio notes come back and they're like, sad fireman seems suppressing.
Speaker 1: Could it be a bad Maybe he could be more bad? Yeah, he accidentally starts fires starring Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I don't like modern comedies. You don't like no, no, Well, the trend and on comedies I don't like, which I think are from those bad Night Sad night era is it sounds. People now believe that you need to sound like you're improvising and you are also have a light stutter because it's like there's always that vibe of where it's like, can't you just read your line and say it with a certain like a certain zip, and we'll be out of this scene. Like it feels like there's people just kind of like like they're like, okay, both of you go over to the car wreck and then start, you know, just make it work around the car wreck and then see what happens. Like it's that vibe where I'm like, I don't want anybody to see what happens. I want you to know what's going to happen. I want you to hit every mark exactly and deliver a real good line when you get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember the first time I saw Juno, there was a lot of stammering, and it was almost like a forced ualness to the line, like oh, just generally I want you to say this. Like even a script like Waiting for Guffman, where each page is like they come in and talk about the show, the mayor comes in and changes the subject like it was fully improvised. It's such an interesting script to read. I had a copy of it. But when you watch that it they're not stammering and stuttering and forcing like human mannerisms. It just it just they're they're that good at improvising. Yeah, yeah, that they don't. They're not plugging in a million ums and us in there. Yeah yeah, yeah, No one wants your ums and us.
Speaker 2: Or repeat just repeating the same line several times, Yeah, that drives me nuts. Or just like say it once like you mean it and you don't have to say it five times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm trying. What can you think of an example off the top of your head.
Speaker 2: I don't want to name names or name because of my career, right.
Speaker 4: You don't want to smear sometimes?
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like a fun joke that was always fun to do, uh, at least at the shows that I ran, would be to name names of the things that suck, you know, And I'd be like, no one's here, guess about all the guess who sucks? And then and then you really like, uh, you know, you really uh shoot yourself in the career foot.
Speaker 4: Yes, but no one's watching, but someone might be.
Speaker 2: That very nineties. The nineties nineties comedy was very mean and very naming, Like I would go, that's how I would write comedy. It's just like I saw the movie step Mom and it sucked in here. Why and it's just like yeah, okay, I mean like okay, but it's one way to go, maybe not the best way to go.
Speaker 3: I actually, you said Drew barrymore and I had a story. I'll confess that.
Speaker 1: Uh who said Drew Barry I did just second ago doing the Bad Fireman Riff. And I said, I'll tell this story because I don't starter there's that movie that they really got it. So Drew Godrew Okay.
Speaker 3: So I used to run a show years ago in the basement of the Ramada Inn.
Speaker 1: Came with Justin Long.
Speaker 4: You were there, yes, oh my god, Okay, I can't believe you were there. So if you maybe you.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what I remember, and then you tell me what you remember.
Speaker 1: They were there often, though they I don't think they were.
Speaker 4: At least they weren't my show often.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: No fighting, no fighting, guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, they weren't fighting. No work.
Speaker 1: I was there. I was there. I did not predict and I did not know you broke your wrist.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: I didn't break my wrist this night. This had to have been like two thousand and six or something like that, okay. And I was doing I would host his characters. A lot of the times it's just a silly character and kind of stretch out the characters between the acts, you know, or sometimes it just be myself. But this night I was doing some character. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember Drew Barrymore and Justin Long were there for some reason, maybe their friends girlfriend was doing stand up or something.
Speaker 1: Like yes and say her name in a minute, uh huh okay, and so h.
Speaker 3: It was going well, and it was maybe in my memory a little tense.
Speaker 1: Because it was like, oh, it's delivery here.
Speaker 3: I didn't make any reference to it, but I do remember like it was a little stiff, but the show wasn't going badly.
Speaker 4: And then after her act, they got up.
Speaker 3: And left, and I don't remember what I said, but I just unleashed. I just laid into I just made the most you know, I just went off on like whatever, Drew Barrymore, you know, oh what you know something about them being there. I just kept making jokes and I thought, oh, it'd be funny to say the meanest jokes possible, or I don't even know what the mean joke would be.
Speaker 4: Oh you were a little girl in et you were going to whatever. I can't, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah I got showed her, but uh, anyway, I.
Speaker 4: Think it was probably mean.
Speaker 3: And and then everyone was laughing really hard at the mean jokes about Drew Barrymore.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: The show went on, and then later someone was like, Josh, they were there. They were staying. You know, you remember the Ramada that like you can't there's the doorway. They were right behind the stage.
Speaker 1: There here, and there's not a wall there. It was cut outs of like yeah foliage, Like yeah, maybe.
Speaker 3: There's like a piece of paper blocking Like I didn't see them in the hall. You couldn't see, but there's nothing stopping them from hearing.
Speaker 1: Every year you can hear it perfectly back there. I remember. That's how I used to watch the shows and hang out back there. Yeah, they heard it, they heard every word.
Speaker 3: And I mean, in my memory, I was like, oh, the famous people were making the the room uncomfortable, and so I felt like I was taking the the I was taking the piss out of it by making people relax by being like yeah, yeah, who cares.
Speaker 4: And it was all kind of as a joke, but.
Speaker 3: I remember, yeah, I remember feeling like, oops, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean?
Speaker 3: Were they like mad to the second Well, there's a second part of the story.
Speaker 4: But but but Chris, what do you remember? Well?
Speaker 1: I remember them having fun, and they seem like they were they were laughing at things. But I vividly remember thinking they were gone and then they were back. But I do not, and I'm not.
Speaker 4: Did not come back to their seat after that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I do not remember you being super mean and it being a whole thing like I think pretty much everyone in the room thought they had left, right, but they were behind. They were just behind talking to their friends with a comic that we used to see all the time, Karen at One on One cafe. She was She was a waitress there and also a funny comic. But she was somehow friends with them, and they that they were there. I'm just confirming they were there to support, Like you said, their friend.
Speaker 2: So it's you said you were going to say her name.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, wouldn't it be great? There wasn't a My family wasn't riddled with Alzheimer's. I also haven't seen her for a long time, but she was funny and I liked her. But I think she's not in comedy anymore.
Speaker 2: She's friends with Drew berrymore.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure how she knew her. And even back then I wanted to ask, like, how are you just friends with Drew Berry? Yay? Uh, maybe maybe.
Speaker 4: That's how anyone knows any celebrity.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's usually they must they must have addiction problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, celebrity friend you.
Speaker 4: The celebrity is gonna friend you. You gotta be addicted to something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta give it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta give up addiction to make friends with the celebrity in La.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's gotta be at uc BE across from the Celebrity Center. You gotta stumble over there for am get get to know people brunch after boozing up at birds.
Speaker 2: In nearly nineties, we had a friend who went to AA and he would come back from the meetings and always be like, hey, you know Ozzy Osbourne was there, or he would name those super famous people that would be at the meetings. So my other friend Laura Milligan started she would be like, yeah, so and so is at his A meeting Because it was never anonymous, so she just called it a A just alcoholics alcoholics meeting.
Speaker 1: I go to am alcohol. What's SAM stand for?
Speaker 4: Meeting?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Meeting?
Speaker 1: I thought it was gonna. I thought was going to be.
Speaker 2: The opposite of anonymous public, anonymous monogamous?
Speaker 4: Anonymous monogamous?
Speaker 3: Has anyone made the joke I feel like a joke I made once?
Speaker 4: I was like, that's too easy.
Speaker 3: I'm sure like probably someone like Chris has made that where it's like, oh, I'm addicted to workahol.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the fact that I laughed, snort, laughed at it lets you know that. Yeah, I would have said that on stage and everyone would have growned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to make some groners. It's fun to make a groaner.
Speaker 2: Well, what's going on lately with you? Josh? What's your current? You haven't been doing stand up?
Speaker 3: Uh huh, I'm in your room. I'm in I'm just in the room. I turn the fans off. It's starting to get a little musty. Probably Bobby's like a little musty.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've just been I mean I've been getting some acting work here and.
Speaker 1: There, and uh, you're a great actor, right, thank you. I think that you I would hate I don't tell anyone to stop performing live. I think that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll not It's not like I've quit forever. It's just sort of like Also, that's another thing I feel like, you know, you talked about like taking a writing job and then and you're like, oh, I don't perform, And there is something about like performing, like if you take a break, you got this voice in the back of your head that's like some meat head, you know, telling you like you're the pavement, you know, and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, who are you get out of here?
Speaker 2: I did come from.
Speaker 3: I don't have time. I don't want to right now. I think I haven't wanted to during the pandemic. But I wrote a couple of scripts and like one of them, you know, is like a small movie. I want to make it in Oklahoma, you know, so I'm trying to figure out how to pull that off.
Speaker 1: And are you from Tulsa.
Speaker 3: I'm from Tulsa, Oklahoma, and I've kind of been splitting my time between LA and Tulsa.
Speaker 1: Oh for family visit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my family, My family's here, and uh, you know that's another thing that's just like, oh, pandemic. It's like you can do a lot of the stuff in LA, like do a great podcast from from Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Bern and I have been doing the same thing a lot of family time for months on end. Yeah. Yeah, tell me about this nine hundred foot Jesus that someone had a vision of. What's that? What is that?
Speaker 4: Isn't there a band or a band called MC nine hundred Jesus?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? That was just like a Christian rapper, but there was Christian rapper.
Speaker 2: I didn't know British.
Speaker 4: Oh I he British?
Speaker 3: Mike, Yeah, he is thinking of the streets.
Speaker 4: What's streets? You so fit, don't you know?
Speaker 1: I like, I actually liked him a lot.
Speaker 4: I like that song, but I don't know any other the streets.
Speaker 1: But what's Orville Robert Oral Roberts or.
Speaker 3: Converts in Tulsa or Roberts University that he is the guy that had.
Speaker 1: A vision of And I remember he was quoted saying I was seeing Ida eye with a nine hundred foot Jesus. And I'm like, what was he laying down? How would you be Ida eye with a nine hundred foot Jesus? He's all I remember is it was like everything he said was it didn't even make sense.
Speaker 4: I think he was the fame.
Speaker 3: He was one famously was like, if I don't get this much money by this amount of time, he's gonna take me away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did it work.
Speaker 4: I think he got a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Jesus didn't take him, but I think Jesus did eventually take him.
Speaker 2: Has Jesus taken him? And do we know Jesus?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I hope it wasn't the devil himself?
Speaker 2: The devil coming up from a blow in Tulsa.
Speaker 3: The they've recently opened the Bob Dylan Center, like a Bob a Bob Dylan museum where they his archives were donated.
Speaker 4: And uh, it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool that last time I went to Tulsa it washed away all the dirty feelings of performing at the Tulsa Comedy Club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gotten better. It's a it's a there's a lot of stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Great, I loved it. What is a sweet audience that was?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Great? You're there now? Then?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm there right now, probably be in l A in like two weeks.
Speaker 3: But uh, I'm just kind of hanging around, you know, doing that. Josh, Yes, let's get lunch, let's get let's get a ruben.
Speaker 2: I mean, people are going back out. It's it's start, things are starting to open up.
Speaker 4: I got all my boosts.
Speaker 3: We've boost we boosted, I got every boost.
Speaker 2: I would love to see you in real life, Josh.
Speaker 4: I know it would be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be so nice. Sorry, really quick MC nine hundred foot Jesus. My full apologies to Mark Griffin, who is EMC nine hundred foot Jesus. He was not only American, He's from Kentucky.
Speaker 3: So what's don't know what I'm I.
Speaker 1: Just know the music video was him in a cardboard box and as he recorded the video, they it was rotated. They were rolling. He was rolling around in a box and it looked really painful.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I do remember that.
Speaker 1: It's getting. It's one of those ones that's like you say it, say the name of it.
Speaker 4: Probably Oh yeah, here's the how the whole song goes.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm going straight to heaven.
Speaker 1: I don't know, see Christians.
Speaker 2: Here's a song too Bad Shut Up, which I enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I don't know that its biggest.
Speaker 2: There's a song called If I Only had a brain that.
Speaker 4: If I had brain, I think that's it. I can't remember how it goes.
Speaker 3: I keep wanting to sing Skilo's hit song, you know, because I had a brain. I wish I had a basketball, I wish I had I wish I was taller, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Skos thing because it's like nine hundred for Jesus, he's pretty.
Speaker 3: Tall, but but wishes that he could get just a little bit taller, a.
Speaker 2: Little bit taller nine oh one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wants to be one er.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh if I had a girl, I would call her. Yeah. But then he wants a rabbit and a hat, and it sticks for im. Paula a rabbit and a hat. Yeah, yeah, weird lyric.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think at that point he's just running out of wishes and he feels like I have a lot of pressure to make more wishes.
Speaker 2: Just looking around the magic shop. What should I wish for now?
Speaker 3: I was a little bit taller, for one, I was I wish I I wish I had a squirting flower.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish i'd trick gum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish I wish I had some new insuls because I think I've got bunions coming on.
Speaker 4: I guess I could go get that. I don't need to wish for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's wishing for logical things that are under ten dollars.
Speaker 2: He's wishing he could go to CVS, is what he's really wishing for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish I had a CVS instead of a Dwayne Reid because I prefer the CVS too.
Speaker 2: I like the longer receipts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because those because those coupons, I take advantage of them.
Speaker 2: Oh five for ten, Josh, I can't believe this. Sometimes we say this. This time I really mean it. That was an hour that went by like fifteen men very quickly.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is a lot of fun. I'm like, oh wow, I guess we are wrapping it up, aren't we.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you can turn on your air conditionery. Yeah, take the fan to blow the secondary wind from the air conditioner whatever that.
Speaker 2: Your systems that you had set up Berg cooling.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I got a lot of dvs. Oh you know what else I did during the pandemic. We don't need to get into this rabbit hole, but you're like to figure us the question what else we're up to? I watched during the lockdown year and have continued to remain obsessed with a lot of film noir from the forties. I got real obsessive and I just kept watching. So I watched over three hundred of them from the black and white ones. So I'm real into that. Eddie Muller from TCM. I don't know him, but he's my main man. I'm a big fan. If I saw him, I'd be starstruck. I always want to talk to him too.
Speaker 4: Me too. I watched I Love Ben Mankowitz.
Speaker 3: I tweeked to him sometimes he replied a few times. I think he started getting annoyed, but he did follow me back.
Speaker 2: But then he didn't get annoyed. I bet he did. My friend Millie Cherko who has a podcast on our network. She is the programmer for the late night of tc SO the Underground. Yep, that's she picks those movies.
Speaker 3: She's She's going to talk to Millie and what does she have her podcast about those movies?
Speaker 2: I saw what you did? And Millie and based off the William Castle uh title, yep, yes, and they do. They basically do double features where they picked two movies and you have to guess what the theme is between the two and then they basically talk about them. And Millie is the cinema expert and Danielle is just the person who likes movies.
Speaker 4: They just talk about it with each other. They have guests on there too.
Speaker 2: They've had a couple of guests, but for the most.
Speaker 3: Part, no room for me to get in there.
Speaker 4: Well, I could be in a case, I could be a special guest.
Speaker 2: I will absolutely If I texted Milly, I'm because Millie's best friends with April Richardson, so I'm sure she knows who you are, so I'm sure they would love to have you.
Speaker 4: Well, there was a couple of those, you know they do those.
Speaker 3: Uh, here's why underground movies are so fun and great type promos, which I love all that. I love everything about TC. I didn't like when they did a redesigned but now I'm okay with it. But they really you just had to get used to it.
Speaker 4: That's it, that's it. And you know what Ben Mank even said, he made a whole spiel.
Speaker 3: You just gotta get used to it, or he said, and I know, I know, you know, I know you don't like change.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 3: But I've also been trying to get a Ben Mank impression down where he's like da da da da da da da da da. The film backs and then he finishes that and he goes from nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 4: He always he always takes a good pause.
Speaker 1: Before he goes from nineteen forty seven here.
Speaker 2: Is he winds up? It's the wind up in.
Speaker 4: The pitch Ben. I think that the movie mank should have been about Ben Mank.
Speaker 2: I am a huge fan of the both Mankowitz brothers, Josh, who is on Dateline and Ben. But TCM is when my dad and I are like to have to be together for an extended period of time, like we go on vacation or something, or I'm staying at his house. TCM is what we can watch together no matter what, because if it's some old movie, he'll be sitting there going, you know this guy fought in World Wars, Like he always has some sort of like fifties trivia.
Speaker 4: You want to do a podcast with your dad?
Speaker 2: He would be pretty great at it, pretty funny.
Speaker 4: Because yeah, I'd be like, oh, yeah, I heard about that. I'd be just trying to keep up. Yeah I knew that.
Speaker 2: Actually I always go oh really and then look at my phone again.
Speaker 4: But yeah.
Speaker 2: It's first of all, I love that they don't have commercials. I think that's like the greatest thing of all time. They just you don't have to worry about commercials. Yeah, yeah, it's the best. And they just roll movie after movie and they explained Ben Minkwit's at the beginning, explains why you're going to love this movie, what's great about it, how some weird thing that happened when they were filming it, what it was like in the era, Like it's an education, it's really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah. They have a good approach to.
Speaker 3: Also, like you know, movies that would be canceled or something today. You know, that's a slang term that I'm like, I say it, but I don't even I don't want.
Speaker 4: To say it. It's just that's the easy word to say.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, right, But they always say, well, here's why you don't you don't cancel it. You know, they're in they're good flowery TCM talk, but they do it well. They say, here's what, and we're going to show it, and you're gonna like it and appreciate.
Speaker 4: It for what it is.
Speaker 1: Don't be so hard on it for today's standards or whatever. Oh, there's like a disclaimer.
Speaker 3: That sometimes they do a disclaimer, but I think they do it. They do it softly, they do it. They don't do it like they don't condemn what they're going to show. You know, they don't say they don't condemn the viewer for wanting to watch old movies, you know, or whatever. It's just a context sort of a thing, I think.
Speaker 2: Right, It's kind of like if there's a movie that's all about a woman, you know, like you know, a woman be being tossed between you know, like she's supposed to be the wife of this person or that part, you know whatever, then they're like, it's of the time, right, Yeah, and this is kind of like it's very reflective of what it was like in nineteen thirty four or whatever.
Speaker 3: Occasionally they will do something that if I'm like trying to find a criticism, they might like it's like they might do something that's like.
Speaker 4: Not a stretch.
Speaker 3: But it's like, you don't need to do we have to tell today's audience that, like just to make them interested, Like you really got to make me, You really got to explain to me that Sam Fuller's a feminist or something like that. You know, it just feels like just show the movie, you know, the smart people will get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. You can't rely on people being smart. I guess not.
Speaker 2: No, not a special They have to feel that like there's the fifteen ten to fifteen minutes between they you know, changing reels or whatever between from movie to movie, whereas I would love it if you just went from one to the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like rolled on through, just like the Doors song to the other side.
Speaker 2: That's right, exactly, roll on through to the other side.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Josh, he are the best.
Speaker 3: This was so fun and thanks for having me, and thanks to uh yeah, well and better call Saul.
Speaker 4: I'm on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're getting on it. Yeah, a great chat. At the end of this. I always say, you've been listening to Do you Need a Ride? D y n aar the are, but can you do it? Josh has Warner Werner Herzog.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think my heart sog impression is any good anymore. See that's what happens when you don't you don't do stand up anymore.
Speaker 4: You think you think you know pounding, You're gonna lose your heart sog impression.
Speaker 6: You have been absorbing the sounds of do you Need a Ride? Here today on this podcast network. There's only one way to listen. If you are having a ride. If there's no ride, then you will have an overwhelming sense of loss and lack of direction, which will which will sink you into an abysmal crime in your pillow depression. There's no way out except to get a ride with Do You Need a Ride?
Speaker 2: D y n aar. That's perfect.
Speaker 1: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 2: Produced by Casey O'Brien.
Speaker 1: Mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n ar Podcast.
Speaker 1: For more information, go to exactly Rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Oh You're welcome.