Speaker 1: A new iPhone hack can steal nearly everything on your device, and you might not even tap anything. The scam so convincing even a tech ceo almost fell for it, and your house might be online in more places than you think. I'll show you how to take those images down, plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich DeMuro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. All Right, here we go, Kim, you're ready. Let's open up those phone lines. Triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one triple eight rich one O one. Give me a call. If you have a question about technology or need some tech advice. Email is also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact All right, Guests, this week, we've got highlights from the forty first Annual seasun Assistive Technology Conference. We've got Rita Shi from Wirecutter. She's going to talk about this standout tech from their new Best New Picks list, and later in the show, Patricia Egger from a Proton is going to explain the company's new born private initiative, basically helping you reserve an email address for your kid that's private and secure from day one. Well, I hope you're having a fantastic day. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks so much for joining me on the show. We got a lot planned for you, but I figured I would start with this because it's kind of unique. It's something we don't typically see on the iPhone in a widespread way, but security researchers uncovered a powerful new iPhone hacking tool called dark Sword. Dark Sword, just one swath and your phone could be leveled. This one's a big deal because it's not your typical scam or app. It's a series of exploits that's basically vulnerabilities that can take over your phone. Now, before you get to crazy and all this stuff, I will tell you this mostly affects older devices running older software, So I'm not trying to scare you here. I'm just trying to explain the kind of scary new future that we live in already, because we don't typically see this kind of stuff for the iPhone. Now, in some cases, the way this works, you literally just have to visit a website and that could trigger the attack. So if the website is compromised, that's it, and then attackers can access messages, photos, passwords, crypto wallets, basically everything on your device, which is kind of news to me because I thought that everything on the iPhone was sort of like sandbox. I didn't think that that was possible. And this attack has been global. They've had attack spotted in places like Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Malaysia. And what's different here is that typically we see iPhone exploits target high profile individuals, right, I always say heads of state, journalists, people like that. Right, They're highly targeted. But this tool could be used much more broadly. And that's what's scary about it. Someone might download it and just say, all right, let's just try to get a whole bunch of people. The other thing is that it is very tough to detect. So the good news is Apple's already patched the vulnerabilities, as they quickly do with these types of issues. But if you have a phone that is running iOS eighteen and you have not updated it to the latest security patch. Do that now.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If you're on iOS twenty six, you're already fine, but iOS eighteen is still being run on about twenty percent of phones. So the big takeaway today if you do one thing, update your phone right now to the latest iOS or at least get the latest iOS eighteen security patch. Because Apple, with this latest update to the iPhone the operating system, they kind of split where you can stay on the old operating system but still get critical security updates. So if you don't want your phone to change very much, they'll do that for a while. They haven't said how long they're going to do that, but they're doing it at least right now. You can also enable lockdown mode for extra protection. So if you're a high risk target, you're a CEO of a company, you are a very prominent journalist, like I said, you're a head of state, you probably want to enable this lockdown mode. And this is a really strict way of operating your device. So for instance, for messages, all attachments are blocked right, so images, video, audio, link previews, those are not going to be available. If you're doing this web browsing, they're going to block certain web technologies, right, So some websites you're not going to load properly. They're not going to function properly. But again, it's to keep these exploits from happening. FaceTime incoming FaceTime calls are blocked unless you previously called that person or had contact with them in the past thirty days. That's interesting. Photos. When you share photos, location information is excluded. They should do that for everyone. By the way, Apple, when you share a photo, there is no reason that location information needs to be included in there, So let's just make that for everyone. Device connections. To connect to an iPad or an iPhone, to connect those to another accessory or a computer, you have to unlock your device. That's smart. That should be standard too. Your device will automatically join non secure Wi Fi networks and configuration profiles can't be installed. So that is lockdown mode, very very secure way of operating an iPhone. Not everyone needs it, but a lot of people are toggling that on because it does give you that extra protection. But I think this shows that the iPhone is not bulletproof. You have to keep your device updated. That is the most important takeaway here. Now, one thing I mentioned on my Instagram. This week is that Apple did a new type of update, an update in a place that you might not typically look. I've never seen this before. So if you go to Settings, Privacy and Security, scroll all the way down to what's called background Security Improvements. Apple released this new security update called iOS twenty six point three point one A. We've never seen an a security update. This is a brand new thing. So again Settings, Privacy and Security, Background Security Improvements, you'll see a little update there. It should automatically install eventually, but if you want to install it right now, you can tap install and you can find that on my Instagram at richon Tech. I've got the instructions on that. There's also an app that you might want to download. This can actually scan your iPhone for signs of spyware. It's completely free. It's called I Verify I Verify, and it's actually called I Verify Basic, so that's what it's called when you look it up in the app store, I Verified Basic. It is free. It'll scan your phone for any sorts of malware or spyware, which I think is really smart to do. I did scan mine. It's also available for Android, but the thing about Android is for some reason they're charging ninety nine cents. I'm not sure why, but I downloaded on my Android just to be safe as well. And by the way, if you're on Android, if you're on Samsung, there are three places you want to look to update your phone. So you want to look at the Google Play Store, update your apps there. Then you want to do your operating system update, so you can go and look there for your operating system. And then you also want to do the Galaxy Store. Don't forget about that one. Galaxy Store is also a place you want to update because they may have some updates as well. Oh, there's actually four. Then you have the Google Play System Update. So if you go into Settings, Security and Privacy under updates, you'll see it says Google Play System Update. You also want to check there because Google typically oh and look at that, I need an update. So Google will typically put updates through there as well. So a lot of places to look for updates on your phone. Make sure you update them. That is very very important. Real quick. A little note of irony this week or the company that helps protect your identity just confirmed a data breach impacting about nine hundred thousand people. I was one of them, all my little you know, personal information, all the dark web monitoring systems that I have. They all sent me an email this week saying, rich, your information's out there, mostly contact information, names, email addresses some cases, phone numbers, and home addresses. The good news is this did not include social security numbers, passwords, or financial information, so that's the good news. But the bad news is this is a company that is that people are paying to protect their identity and they had a data breach and guess how it happened. One of their employees was tricked into giving access to one of their behind the scenes systems over the phone. Someone called them and I don't know what they said on a phone call, but they somehow convinced them to give them access. So they grabbed about twelve gigabytes of data before it took about an hour for the company to really uh oh and they stopped them. But still, what do you you have to be on lookout for, like any sort of phishing emails or texts pretending to be AURA or other services at this point because they could be highly targeted to you and also customized with your information. So bottom line, no financial data was taken here, but your contact info could be used for more targeted scams. It's probably stuff that's already out there, but since it's fresh, hackers get their hands on it and they start to use it again. So just be aware of that. All right. We got a lot to talk about on the show eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Once again the website rich on Tech dot tv. I will link up that app I mentioned, the Iverify app, and I'll also link up everything you need to know about that iPhone security update and uh that iPhone dark Sword malware. All right, Uh, we'll be back in just a little bit. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology, triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Gary in Uh is it Indio, California?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: I thanks.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you have any of the information up, but I have a a brother's printer or a wireless one and I want to hook it up to my laptop. And my modem is an Ero that the Frontier replaced with it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, they're giving out.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have a WPS button to push to uh think it to.
Speaker 4: Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I know exactly the printer you have because I had that printer for many years, and I believe WPS, which stands for Wi Fi Protected Setup, that is a very outdated protocol at this point. And it used to be the easiest way to connect your gadgets because you would basically put your your router into a receiving mode and then you would just tap the button on your device and they would pair up. But apparently some someone that's much smarter than me decided that that is not a good system anymore, so they stopped putting it in there. And believe me, I had that printer for many many years. I went through many routers, and all of a sudden they stopped shipping with that feature, and I was like, wait a second, am I missing something? This was like the easiest way to do things. So you are going to have to set up this this printer the old fashioned way, which is by linking it to the network. Do you are you not seeing the network or is it just it's kind of a pain right because that brother, it's like there's no there's no like easy way to do that, right, Like I remember, you have to do something kind of silly to get that connected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no no screen or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no screen, that's right. So and I'm trying to remember the system for it, and I think it was like I don't remember what it was. But it's a little bit convoluted. But you can do it. And thankfully you only have to do it like once a year or once like every ten years or something for you. So do you have you have access to the instruction book of that brother? You can find that online probably, yeah, okay. The only the only tip I would give you is you may want to switch your euro router. Do you have the euro app downloaded?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. When I called Frontier about if, they said they would give me an older, an older router back if I want it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean I don't know if I would do that. But inside, if you if you can download the euro app and link up, which I'm sure you could, there is a system or there is an option under settings let's see here, which is okay. So if you go under settings and it says advanced Networking, it says euro simple. Nope, that's not a hold on, there is a way to Oh, I'm trying to look where this is? Uh oh DHC okay, ip ISP settings, Okay, there is a there's now I'm not finding the setting here. There is a troubleshooting there it is. Okay, So if you go into trouble shooting and then it says my device won't connect, you can say my device is two point four gigaherts only, and it will basically turn off the five gigaherts and six gigaherts networks just for a couple of minutes while you connect. I think it's like ten minutes to give that printer a little bit of time to connect to that two point four gigahertz network and then it will be smooth selling from there on out.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, all right, that a shot. Who thanks for the help.
Speaker 1: All right, Gary, thanks for the call today from indiouh yeah, that's uh, that's you know. I say, we don't do printer questions on this show, but we end up doing a printer question every single time, so it just seems to happen. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh, let's see here This story is kind of we were talking about scams in the UH in the first you know, like that basically that Aura app had gotten someone got tricked into handing over access to one of their corporate systems and they got a whole bunch of data taken. This new scam comes from Matt Mullenwegg. He is the CEO of WordPress, so very tech savvy guy. He wrote a blog post that said this scam that attacked him almost got him. So here's how it happens, so you can watch out for this. UH. Basically, he's just sitting there mining his own business and all of a sudden, all of his Apple devices start lighting up with notifications, password reset notifications. His iPhone is Apple, his Mac all at once. Now that's step one of the scam. As he explains, it overwhelm you and make you think your account is under attack. Okay, the scammers did something really clever. They basically contacted Apple Support pretending to be him and opened up a real support case. Now this is a public guy, so they were able to kind of piece together some information about him, call the Apple support, open up that support case, and that sent real Apple emails from Apple servers to his email address, so they didn't go to spam. And you know how, I tell you, hey, check the email address, make sure it's legitimate. These were so your spidey sense would not go up right now, if your person sitting at home, you go, oh my gosh, I'm under attack. I'm getting all these password resets. Now, I got an email from Apple. Next, and this was the part that was really interesting. He gets a phone call from quote unquote Apple Support, and the guy sounds pretty good. He's calm, he's knowledgeable. They even chitchatted about security advice, saying, hey, you know, you need to lock this stuff down. And at first he didn't necessarily know this was fake, but then I think he realized it was. And so here's when the trap happened. They texted Matt a link to quote unquote fix the issue, and inside that link, this was the fake website that was actually trying to steal his information. So the fake website even showed that real case ID from that Apple support page. That or there's Apple support emails. So he knew immediately this was fake, and he told the guy. He called him out, and what do you think happened? Immediately the person hung up. So the key takeaway here Apple is not going to call you out of the blue to ask you about your account security or to help you. Never tap links and text or emails for account security. Always go directly to your settings or Apple dot com yourself. This stuff is getting out of control. It's getting really bad. And remember my little tip I told you weeks ago. There is a call recording functionality on every phone right now. Samsung's got it, Pixels got it, so does the iPhone. And when you enable that call recording, it says this call maybe this call is being recorded. Those scammers will hang up instantly when they hear that, So just toggle on the call recording when you think you got a scammer. That's a great way of knowing if they're real or fake, because the fake ones are gonna hang up instantly. They don't want to be recorded, all right? Eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Back with the CSUN Assistive Tech Conference after.
Speaker 5: This in exwell Haul.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology triple eight rich one o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website is rich on tech dot TV. We'll get back to those phone lines in just a moment. But this week I spent some time at one of the actually it was last week at one of the biggest accessibility tech shows in the world. It is the CSUN Assistive Technology Conference in Anaheim, and today, I'm sure some of the most impressive things I saw.
Speaker 5: Hi, I'm Julia Santiago and the managing director for the SEASUN Center Home Disabilities and we're the hosts of the annual c sent IS System Technology Conference.
Speaker 1: So tell me about this SEASUN Assistive Technology Conference. What is this conference all about?
Speaker 5: Well, we're an accessibility conference and the system of technology, so technology for people with disabilities. We run the full diverse gamut on disability and types of disability and types of technology.
Speaker 6: We have about one.
Speaker 5: Hundred and thirty exhibitors and they're showcasing products and services really intended to help eliminate barriers and increase access for people with disabilities.
Speaker 1: How does that evolve over the years because of technology, you know.
Speaker 7: It's it's quite a bit.
Speaker 5: This is our forty first conference and so if you can imagine over forty one years, a lot of technological advancements. I would say the biggest change that we're seeing out want to say change, but the biggest focus that we're now seeing is have an AI. A lot of AI types of products and services, but there's a lot of just in terms of the development of AI and its use in accessibility as a pretty large focus this year.
Speaker 1: And what's the benefit of all this The.
Speaker 5: Impact, I think is is really it's what our mission is. That our mission is to make an inclusive world without any barriers to anyone and so that people can participate in their lives to the fullest success.
Speaker 6: My name is hand Jurgen Weiberg and I'm the bounder of.
Speaker 1: Be my Eyes. How'd you come up with this idea?
Speaker 8: Well, being blind myself, it was pretty straightforward.
Speaker 6: And the short story is that one day I met a guy and he was telling me he was using FaceTime and then he said, but I always have to think about who to call. And then I was thinking, oh, maybe we can make a group you can call. So that was kind of how I got into through all this. And yeah, it's a long story, but well that's how it started.
Speaker 1: And that's amazing though, so and The idea now is that you have the world on call.
Speaker 6: Within the last few days, we have reached two milestones. One is that we now have one million blinds and low reaching people signed up for Being My Eyes and we have ten million volunteers all over the world.
Speaker 9: You can get assistance in one hundred and eighty five different languages and no matter where in the world you are, if you have access to the Internet, you can get assistance from Be my Eyes in whatever language this week.
Speaker 1: So what's next for Me my Eyes? Is there any improvement to the service you'd like to see? Is there anything that you like to change or moving forward here?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we have.
Speaker 6: We have just launched a Be my Eyes workplace product.
Speaker 8: The unemployment rate among blind people is like seventy seven zero, which is kind of insane, and we hope that Be my Eyes work.
Speaker 6: Boat, which is a laptop program where.
Speaker 1: If you have a job or you're seeking a job, but say you.
Speaker 6: Have a job, and then most likely at some point you will get a PDF file that is not accessible, but then you hit two keys and then you will have a description. If that's not enough, you can first on two other keys and you can connect your computer with a colleague. The colleague can see your screen. You can even have a colleague take over your computer to help you do something so you are up and running again. Our hope is that this will benefit blind people in job situations and make it more more accessible shoes to.
Speaker 1: Be in the job market.
Speaker 7: The company name is Luna from the Netherlands and your name. My name is Pierre Pierre Kegels, and I'm their business the director of business development.
Speaker 1: When he's shown off here, we have a new.
Speaker 7: Pair of glasses which we have developed for people who are ny blind. So our main target audience will be people with our P that tend to become completely blind after dark. So what we do is we have a pair of glasses with a very light sensitive camera in here, and everything that the camera sees is being displayed inside the glass but brighter. So when people wear them at night, it's like you switched on a light. So people get their autonomy again and co out by their selves to a restaurant. Even inside a restaurant, they don't have to ask somebody else to walk with them to the restroom. They can find it by themselves. Our CEO, he has our P himselves and at the age of thirty. He just thought, I don't want to be the one having to ask the rest of my life somebody to help me. I want to have I want to have a device that really helps me. And if it helps me, it.
Speaker 10: Helps a lot a lot of people.
Speaker 7: And price point almost five thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: And what do you think of that price point for something like this.
Speaker 7: Well, based on the fact that half of our pre orders are from the US, people are willing to pay for their autonomy.
Speaker 11: The name of the company is Mesmo Technologies, and my name is John Gray, and I'm the director of business Development, and we have a brand new product called Bridge, and Bridge provides real time captioning for businesses in the workplace. So if you have hearing loss like myself, I've got my hearing aids in and I'm in the workplace and I have just a traditional desk phone or a computer. However, you take phone calls, the problem is they can't provide captioning. So I struggle on a phone call to know what's happening, right, I can't hear it. But with the Bridge unit, I can connect it to any desk phone or computer and it provides me real time captioning just like this on the phone call, so I can read everything that you're saying. So from an accessibility point of view, it's wonderful because then I don't know, I'm not at a disadvantage at work.
Speaker 1: Right, what do you make of the advancements we've seen in this technology? It's amazing.
Speaker 11: If you had asked me ten years ago, could AI be using could be doing this captioning this? Or did we have to have a live person? I would have told you ten years ago, No, it's not ready. Today I would tell you AI, we can't live without it. Our system is very fast and very accurate, and it's all AI based, So our ASR automatic speech recognition, our ASR speech engine is incredibly fast and accurate, and it's just a wonderful thing. It's where technology is going now and we're taking full advantage of it to make sure that we can provide those accessible features.
Speaker 1: Right, an average person, could they exist download like one of.
Speaker 11: Your apps or yeah, the inter caption app is free and can be downloaded right off the app or the play store for Bridge. You can literally go to our website. A business mostly would pay for that and they can go to our website, it's Bridge caption.
Speaker 12: I'm John Taylor and senior vice president of LG Electronics USA. We have a number of highlights this year. First and foremost is what we call the Comfort Kit, which is a series of accessories that can be incorporated into your existing appliances that help people that might have some mobility issues to help use these things in a more simple fashion. Of course, AI and IoT is at the center of everything we do in our homes and our lifestyles today, and we're showing how our smart home platform Think you On integrates across the board with our appliances to help give you audio commands and visual identifications when, for instance, if you leave the door open on your refrigerator and you're hearing impaired, you'll actually have a light that'll remind you to close the door.
Speaker 1: And then the TV obviously center for every home, showing off a lot of accessibility features that are probably built into almost every LGTV.
Speaker 12: Tell me about those across the board. LG has built accessibility features into our televisions, an early pioneer in close captioning, and today it's really goes much beyond that. With with AI, of course, you can have captions in any language that will be a real time that doesn't really depend on the broadcaster providing it. But beyond that, you know the ability to actually blow up the image on the screen, change the font size, additional audio explanations, and I just saw a demonstration I hadn't seen before that allows you to evenust not just the volume, but the pace of the introduct of the explanations that are giving to you in an audio fashion to really help someone who's visually impaired walk through the entire and enjoy the entire TV experience and much better than ever before.
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it, the forty first Annual seasun Assistive Tech Conference. If you want to see more of my coverage video coverage from there, you can go to the website rich on Tech dot TV eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven two four one zero and more of your calls. Plus I'll tell you how to hide your home from the Internet when we return. Welcome back to rich on Tech, Rich DeMuro here, let's go to uh Jack in Riverside. You're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 13: Rich, How you doing, I'm doing well?
Speaker 10: How about yourself?
Speaker 13: I'm okay? Since I've been on hold. I've been rethinking my question. I'm not sure it's even gonna make sense, but I'll give it a shot.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 13: So I have a bunch of devices, you know, I have like e good devices, ring cams and doorbells. I have Windows eleven. I do use chat GBT of course Gmail accounts, and I feel like they're not all working together to be as productive as I can. And I'm not sure if that's a possibility to kind of bring everything to one sort of a hub kind of thing, or if I need to buy a different you know, like all iOS or all Andrew products.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting you're you're talking about something that I think about on a daily basis, because I test just about everything every platform. Sitting in front of me right now, I've got my Mac computer and Android, a Windows PC, an iPhone and a Pixel and so and and by the way, I use Alexa, I use Ring, I also use Google Nests, so we're the same. I use chatchy BT, I also use Gemini. What else did you mention Alexa? Yeah, so I mean in Gmail. So here's the thing. What you're talking about is something that I've kind of thought about in recent years, tech companies used to be where they would all kind of work together really well. Right, But the problem is every one of these services that you're talking about, they're all owned by a big conglomerate.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So Echo owned by Amazon, Ring now owned by Amazon, Windows eleven, Microsoft, Chatchy, BT Independent, Gmail is Google, Android is Google, iPhone is Apple. So the problem is all of these things don't necessarily work together in a smooth fashion because these companies want to silo you into using all their products.
Speaker 13: And that's that's what I was saying, Like, if I don't mind, like if I had to give up, you know, the Android devices or something to go to all Apple, you know, so that that's a better chance everything will be in concert. Is that possible?
Speaker 1: I mean not really. I mean, look the here's the way I see it. What I see is that you should be able to pick what you want to use, and what you're talking about is a bunch of different things. So let's say you went all iPhone, like Ring is still going to work with iPhone, but you're not gonna be able to do any sort of voice commands to Siri to control Ring, whereas you would be able to do that with an Alexa device, right, or if you had to fire TV device, when someone rings your ring doorbell, that video pops up on your on your te TV screen. Same thing with Nest. If you have a Google TV device and you had a Nest doorbell, when someone rings the doorbell, you'd be able to see that on your TV screen. So my feeling is that you pick the best for the job, and I think it sounds like you've picked a lot of things that you like. I don't think there's a way to weave them all together. And believe me, I think about this stuff a lot, because you know, I want to use Gemini because it has access to my email and my calendar, right, But CHATGBT is better overall for daily use. So what I end up doing is use chat GBT for everything, and then when I have to add something to my calendar or tap into my Gmail, I will go to Gemini and do that or make an image.
Speaker 13: Is chat GBT maybe the best future option to bring everything together?
Speaker 1: I think there. I think chat GBT works really well. Have you looked into the connections on chatgbt and under the settings? Okay, so there is a let's see where they call it here. I think it's called apps. So if you look under apps, they have a whole bunch of things that you can connect to your CHATCHYBT and what I have connected. You can connect Gmail. I don't know, can you connect outlook, let's see. Let's see if Microsoft. Now Microsoft's not on there obviously, but you can connect Gmail. You can connect. There's a whole there's a whole laundry list of things that you can connect Canva, Apple, Music, Expedia, Lovable, Spotify, Target, So I mean, you know, that's one way of doing it. Canva also lets you do something like that as well, or sorry not Canva claud that uh, Claude is like another you know, another AI system. So it's kind of like a chat GYBT, except it's made by Anthropic. But here's the deal. So I think you're struggling in a situation where it's not that easy. There's so many great tools out there to just say, oh yeah, I'm going to go Apple, so I can pick everything that Apple works with nicely. Some people do that, you know, the Apple ecosystem. They really enjoy that. I personally don't like that because then now you're gonna go out and look for a home Kit doorbell or a home Kit video camera because that works with Apple. Why those might not be as good as a ring camera, right, So, and all of these things have apps your phone, So I think that at this point you still kind of have to just use these things individually, link them up when you can, and just keep in mind as you're building your system and picking products, find stuff that works with other things. So, for instance, and I know we're talking about this for a long time, but like, for instance, I'm using Microsoft to Do as my task manager, not Google Tasks, because I think Microsoft to Do is one of the best task managers out there, one of the best to do lists. And I made it work with the iPhone and Siri on the side because now I can talk to Siri and just say remind me to do this, and it goes right into my Microsoft And it took me a couple minutes to figure that out. But I picked Microsoft because of that functionality oversay something like to doist or something like that. So again, it's these little decisions that you make that could make your systems a little bit easier.
Speaker 13: For one quick question, sure, and I'll just okay, I bought a refurbished TWI fe okay, and it did not come with the visual voicemail okay. And I contacted the seller and they said, we'll just send it back. And I've contacted my provider or self provider and they're saying, well, not it has to be I guess the phones.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's yeah.
Speaker 13: So any suggestions on how to say of sending it back if there's another option.
Speaker 1: Unless your provider has an app you can download to get that visual voicemail, sometimes that is just built in at the operating system level and you're not gonna be able to recreate that unless the phone was has specific software for that carrier. It really varies by carrier. Obviously, Apple has made it on the iPhone platform agnostics, so you just you know, you get on the cell network and next thing you know, you've got visual voicemail. For most providers on Android, it doesn't necessarily work that way. So for instance, like Mint Mobile, I believe you can download an app and get your visual voicemail, but some other mv and os may not be like that. I'm assuming you're on an mv and O or is it a main network?
Speaker 13: Yeah, have a I have a spectrum, yeah something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So They may not unless it's provisioned specifically for that phone. It may not unless they can let you download an app for your voicemail, It may not do that.
Speaker 13: Okay, all right, well, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, Jack, appreciate it. Thanks for the kind words. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh did this segment on TV. Thought i'd mention it here. You know, your home is in more places online than you think, right you look at Google street View, old real estate listings. You can actually go in and ask to blur out your home. Some people like to do this for privacy concerns. I'm not fully convinced it's the best thing to do, but I'm just telling you that you can do it. Google street View lets you blur it, Apple Maps lets you blur your home. There's also a lesser known mapping service owned by Meta called Mappillary m A p I L l R Y that has crowdsourced photos and your home can be on there. What about inside your house? My house was on here for so long and I kept trying to figure out how to get these pictures off and I finally did. But on redfin you can log in and hide the listing photos. On Zillo you can remove your listing photos as well, So those are two big places. And then when I presented this story, of course, people were emailing me other websites. So basically any website that has your personal information on there, you can go in and ask them to get rid of that or blurt out. Keep in mind, if you do this, at least on Google street View on Google Maps, once you asked to blur, it is permanent. There is no going back. But I put all these instructions. I'll link them up on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. They're all a little bit different. You just have to know where to look. But typically you look under the menu. When you find a picture of your home under street View, it's report a problem. It's in the lower right hand corner. On Apple Maps, you have to do it from a desktop, it says report an issue. But I'll put all these instructions on the website rich on tech dot TV. If you want to learn how to get rid of your home from the internet, you are listening to rich on tech back after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. One of my favorite country singers right now, Ella Langley, twenty six years old. So many great songs already, including this one. I just have this on repeat all the time. Eight to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show is richon tech dot tv. Welcome to the show. I mentioned earlier that I Verify app that checks for spyware, already have a few of you sending me screenshots of your phone saying look I'm good, I'm clear. Thankfully. I hope that's the way it is. Let's see this hour, we've got the Wirecutter joining us. They're gonna talk. They've got this new list called Best New Picks and so we're gonna pick their brain about that no pun intended, and talk about some of the products on there. And later in the show, we've got Patricia Egger from Proton. Are you familiar with Proton? They're the company that they're out of Switzerland. Very privacy focused, so it's almost like everything at Google offers like drive, email, all that stuff, but it's very privacy centric, so all end to end encrypted and people really like their products anyway. They they've got a new thing called born Private, which is about basically reserving a private email address for your kid at birth. It's funny. Bobo. He you know, he had a kid and his wife we went out to dinner a couple weeks ago, was saying that you guys, set up an email dress for your kid and she will email. This I thought was brilliant. She will email the email address like when she has a cute little moment or a memory. So when your kid gets to be whatever age, you know, when they can read their email, they're gonna have all these memories that your wife wrote in. That's such a cool idea.
Speaker 14: So I don't want to take the credit because this was all her idea. And even when she did, I was like, Yo, that's dope. Like you can send message it like she's type messages to him, send pictures and stuff like that. And I was like, Yo, that's actually pretty good. When he gets old enough, he can go back and see everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's such a good idea too, because you can keep like a you know, a notebook or a diary.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But like my wife, we we go through like we have that diary of like my first baby or whatever. She filled out the first page and that was it.
Speaker 14: But I mean, if you think about it, you're always on a device, so you just send in an email.
Speaker 10: So an email.
Speaker 1: Address is perfect. Oh my gosh, it's such a great idea. Anyway, so we'll talk about that later in the show. What you know how he can do that with that email or if that will work because I know, well, we'll see, we'll find out. All right, let's go to uh, Linda in Burbank line three. Linda, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 15: Uh yeah, Rich. I remember this was like some weeks or a month or so ago. I didn't have a chance to call in when you were talking about if anyone is I had to do it out a cell phone. Sure, yeah, there was a time. It was a time period I had you we have a cell phone and this was okay, let's see was it. I'm with Consumer Seller and Pure Talk had it sounded like it had a good deal, so I switched to Pure Talk and it was taking a long time for the port, and well, the poor thing got through. Didn't get Before the poor thing got through, you know, my phone was off. And then well, is with pure talk. Then I heard a bary deal with consumer story, so I went story and it took a long time to transfer back over again.
Speaker 1: Well, and so so you were lost your your phone numbers will never never land for a little bit.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so this is the experience I had to do without a phone.
Speaker 1: And what did you do? Twiddle your thumbs? Yeah, well I will And this is this might have been? This is everything on the up and up now, like is all your phone working now? Sounds like it is?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm talking on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good? And who did you settle with? Who's your provider?
Speaker 3: Pure talk?
Speaker 1: Okay? And do you like them?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did good?
Speaker 1: Good? I mean we I think? Yeah, well, so what happened with me? And I think maybe this is the story that you were referring to. I was switching you know, I test phones for a living, so I wasn't switching providers, but us switching my sim from one phone to another. And usually it's a pretty straightforward process. Well, this time I tried switching and my phone, my number left my first phone and it never made its way to the second phone. So it was in this never never land. And of course it was the afternoon. It's when I pick up the kids, my wife is calling me all this stuff. Nobody could get a hold of me because my phone number would just ring and that was it wouldn't do it wouldn't connect because there was no number. And so I called my provider and they didn't believe it was me. They said, sorry, we can't. We can't verify it to you because we have no way of verifying. Typically they'll send you a text to your number, and if you have a second line on the account, they may use that as well. Well, they couldn't do that because I don't have a second line on my account. So they're like, sorry, we have no way of verifying you. And I said, oh my gosh, like just ask me anything. And sure enough, they're just like, no, we can't trust you. And I said, okay, what do I have to do? You have to go into a store. So I had to go into a store and the guy said, okay, well I can't verify you. I have to wait. I have to try to verify you three times before our system will finally let me in. I mean, so I was. I was actually happy that it was that secure, but man, going without a phone now I had other phone lines because I have lots of test lines from different companies to try out their service, but my phone number was not working. That is not a position you want to be in, especially when your kids are at school, your wife's trying to call you. You know, people are trying to call you whatever. Anyone else is fine. It's just like the bear, you know, the core folks. You need them to be able to get in touch with you. Anyway, Thanks for the call, Lida. Let's go to Marcel in Brooklyn. Marcel, what's up, Hey.
Speaker 2: Rich I'm calling from New York. I'll just call you many times ago to talk about the caption on Instagram. But what about this one here? I just log in on my app app here on my tablets, okay, and it says it will be ready for this. Yeah, login has aspired, but it's also the extension denied login error. It's taking place off March of this year, but especially of last year. They will be definitely blocked all of all users on this app. So prepared to this, how could I fix or everyone there fixed at X via Twitter to get these logins and users back on.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not understanding. So you're trying to use the X app on your on your iPad, and it's not working.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, I'm talking about both one here from Amazon and one from the Android. The Android is fine, but the Amazon tablet here says it's my Fire seventh tablet. My uncle Queen gave it to me from many years ago. But I just download the app, and of course I created this account. I have the password, I have the pass key, I have the also my username is m Irax twenty nine is still there. But can the user here come back on from accession? Deny long an error?
Speaker 1: Well, do you have some sort of ad blocker on your on your tablet? Do you have you know, maybe this Are they still supporting this this app on the tablets at all?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's just x Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know. Oh you're just saying X like just you're going to the website. Yeah, okay, Oh got it? Got it? Okay, So Era, can you try a different browser and can you try clearing all the cash and history and cookies on that browser? Have you tried that?
Speaker 2: Yes? I also have the pack key and too appa to keep away from hackers, smarty two factor authentication and of course the authentication app.
Speaker 1: Look at you you've got all your security ducts in a row. I love it. That is very smart, because the two factor authentication app is actually better. Well number one, I think, I think Twitter, unless you're a premium paid subscriber, you can't use text codes anymore, so you have to go to the authentication app, the one I like, which one you use? And I like Proton Authenticator.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Also I have to use the Google Authenticator.
Speaker 1: Well all right, Well Google Authenticator is okay, but it keeps you kind of locked into Google. Okay. So what I would say is a couple of things. First off, Marcel, I would try to if you can. I think the Silk Browser is what they have on the fire tablets, see if you can download a different browser to that tablet and see if you can use that to log into X. That's the main thing. If you can log in on a different browser, then we know this problem is on the Silk browser. Silk Browser is a little different. It's a little more unique than other browsers out there because I feel like it does some stuff in the background, like Cash's websites and things. Maybe not anymore, but I would try that, try logging in with a different browser and see if that works. Otherwise, if you're able to download the X app on that tablet, maybe go that route and just use X or you know, maybe just stop doom scrolling. That's another option. I mean that maybe you know, who knows? I mean, maybe maybe just leave X on your phone and you'll be fine. So maybe I don't know. I you know, it's one of these things where to me on my tablet, it's like mostly for consumption, Like I just want to sit there and like watch stuff or read stuff. So for me, like the social media is better, just relegate it to my phone and I keep it there. But anyway, hopefully you get it figured out myself sounds like you you know your stuff, and you will. It will just be a matter of time before you're back up and scrolling again. Thanks for the call today. All the way from Brooklyn eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I shouldn't say all the way from Brooklyn. If you're listening in New York City, you're like, what do you mean all the way? I mean, I get it's like a train ride away. It's not that far. Depends you're listening to rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. I mean, I had to play one of Bobo's favorite songs.
Speaker 10: Joey Is.
Speaker 1: It's a good song. You know, I pooh pooed this movie for so long. I was like, I'm not watching that, like, come on, sat down with the kids, watched it. It was so good.
Speaker 10: And you're making a second.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, Oh, I know, but you know the sequel can't be as good.
Speaker 10: No, it's very rare that the sequel as good as the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is very rare. You know what the movie is that They always mentioned that the sequel is better than the first than the first, which is that The Godfather. Now I'm not like a movie buff, okay, so but people say that. I think it's like one of the examples of the second was better than the first. I don't know, because I don't think I ever saw the second. I only saw the first. I can is that the one where we go say hello to my little friend. That that's the wrong movie. That's the one, right, that's scarface. That's scarface?
Speaker 10: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Was there a Scarface too?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 10: No, there was a prequel. It was called Carlito's Way.
Speaker 1: Oh prequel Okay, that's you know, those are not I've never been a fan of prequel now because you know who lives and you know who doesn't, because you're already seeing the after effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So yeah, like the Star Wars prequels, they were hit and miss with me.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Star Wars nerds will put all the movies in order, yeah, you know, because like it's like this starts with like that. The newer movie is like at the beginning. I don't I don't understand any of that stuff. I just I just want to sit down and watch a movie. Oh you know, my wife and I started watching. I had to subscribe to Paramount Plus for this. I mean, I gotta look for the name. It's called The Madison if you want to do you ever hear that show Yellowstone. Yeah, it's like, you know, epic kind of like you know out in the middle of nowhere. This isn't that same vein It's called The Madison. It's with Michelle. Yeah, yeah, I've heard of it, but I have a watch it yet. Michelle Pfeifer, Zion.
Speaker 14: Me and Brittany are now finishing up one piece the live action on on Netflix. Okay, yes, I've watched over a thousand of the animated because i'm, you know, anime hit. But we have now she's into the live action version and it's pretty good.
Speaker 10: Watch that. And it's your show that comes on Fox. I can't even think of the name of it.
Speaker 1: That sounds great.
Speaker 14: It's the Lady. She was a cleaner and now she's a cop. She does like the crimes for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you think of that, I'll tell you more about Madison. It's uh, if you want to show that is sad, slow, poignant Is that a word poignant? Yes, and a little bit funny. That's the Madison. It's it's good. I'm really enjoying it. I really really am enjoying it because I love this idea of like being out in the middle of nowhere and like how life is so different than it isn't like life. So anyway, if you want to check it out, I subscribe to Paramount Plus for ninety nine cents for two months. So remember the big list. Google this the big I'm gonna google it as I do it. Big Okay, high potential. I've heard of that's on ABC. We watch it a Hulu so okay, yeah, the Big List of streaming deals. If you are signing up for a streaming service, do not sign up until you go to my friend Jared Newman, friend of the show. He's been on many times. He does cord Cutter Weekly, great newsletter, but he does the big list of streaming deals. If there is a deal on a streaming service, it's on this. So before I sign up for Paramount Plus, I went to his website and it set a dollar for two months of premium, and sure enough it worked. It worked, And if you're a new subscriber, you'll get three dollars per month for two months of premium. So anyway, I'll link that up on the website. Rich on tech dot tv. Let's go to Drothy in Wittier, California. Darthy, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 17: Oh thank you so much, Rich. I so appreciate you taking my phone call.
Speaker 1: What are you watching on streaming?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 17: My goodness, I watch HBO, Hulu, you name it. I'm a paramount. I watch everything on streaming.
Speaker 1: Are you going to watch Madison?
Speaker 17: I think I'm gonna have to give it a try.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's slow, it's kind of boring. I'm really selling it. But okay, get at.
Speaker 17: This point, I think I would get anything a try.
Speaker 1: It's great, it's great, I really like it. Anyway, what's your question?
Speaker 17: So my question is I have a Samsung twenty four cell phone, and over the last few weeks I had been losing texts, and if anybody sent me any pictures within those texts, I've been losing that as well. So, for instance, like three weeks ago, I was in Vegas with my daughter. I went to send her a picture, and as I went to her picture her name, nothing was there. I lost everything, I mean, every single text we've ever sent to each other over all these years, as well as pictures. And then I got home and about a week later, I looked at all my contact lists and went into various people, and I noticed I was losing years of texts and content, meaning if they sent me a picture, because not all pictures. I move over to my gallery sometimes I leave my pictures, you know, in the content of the text, all of that is gone. And then just the other day, the same thing happened with my husband. I mean, and this is years and years of obviously texts and stuff like that, the same thing happened he's completely gone. Yeah. So I took it to Verizon because they're my carrier, and they looked at my phone. They checked all my different settings to make sure I didn't say like, oh like delete in thirty days or something like that. All of my settings were perfect. So then they suggested, well, why don't you go to the Samsung store. So I did that. When there they checked everything. I'm even saying, is there's something mechanically wrong with my phone? And they're like, we can't explain this. Your stuff just went poof.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what that is? That is wild? Is there any lesson that we can learn from this? Is this continuing to happen?
Speaker 16: It is?
Speaker 17: It is like I said, like two weeks ago, I lost everything, everything my husband ever sent me. And the sad thing is my daughter just got married in October, so all of these pictures that my friends have sent me gone.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay, it sounds like this could be like a running out of space on your phone or something like that. I don't know, but here's here's what I would tell you to do. There's a there's a program called SMS Backup and Restore Moving Forward. You might want to run that every week, just to make sure you have a copy of your messages somewhere in the cloud or you know, physical copy. The other thing is I would run on your phone. There's an app files by Google. There is a clean up functionality on that app. I would run that and just to see. And obviously I would do all the software updates on your phone that I mentioned earlier in the show. So do the the Samsung software updates, do the you know, the security updates, do the Google Play update, do the Galaxy Store updates. And I would restart your phone make sure that's all updated. And also, if you're not using Google Messages, maybe you're still using the old version of the Samsung Messages app. Switch to Google Messages. But that is very unfortunate, Drothy and uh, I've never heard of such a thing. I've heard of people deleting text threads by accident, but it sounds like something else bigger is going on here. I hope you figure that out. Thanks for the call today, eight to eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one back with Wirecutter after this. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking tech now Ology Triple eight Rich one O one, Triple eight Rich one oh one. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment, but first on the line, we've got Leda Shi. She is the editorial director for Wirecutter. Uh, they've got a new feature called Best New Picks, and so she's here to explain all that. Lyda, thanks for joining me, Hi Rich, thanks for having us. So first off, explain what the wirecutters all about. We've had some guests on from Wirecutter, one of my favorite websites. Explain what it's all about.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Wirecutter, we've been around for fifteen years this year, and our goal is to recommend what really matters, and that means in all areas of anyone's life. So we have everything from we do have a lot of tech recommendations, but we have a lot of other types of recommendations. We launched Beauty last year. We also have Home Decorp.
Speaker 19: We have Style. So whatever you're in the market for, we probably have some research for you that can help.
Speaker 1: And how do you pick these things?
Speaker 19: Yes, well, that.
Speaker 18: Actually kind of is part of why we wanted to do this Best New Picks Awards. But we are evaluating tens of thousands of products every single year across our newsroom, and it involves a lot of really deep research, a lot of reporting, a lot of obviously testing the actual product. And so after once all of that is complete, and that includes you know, the actual investigating and the expertise of all of our writers and editors who actually know what these products, all the new markets or all the new products in these categories. Only after that's kind of done is when we're truly recommending something and where it appears on our site and that goes so that kind of whittles down the products from tens of thousands of products all the way down to three thousand products, which is still a lot, but it is It is the culmination of a lot of hard work in the back end that a lot of times people don't see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I talked to a couple of your editors from time to time. We do TV segments with them, and you know, they tell me about the testing process and it's way more in depth than you may think. Like, you know, specifically, I'm thinking of, you know, the hearing aid stuff that I've been told about, you know, to hear it, like the headphones, like you really do, like get a lot of people to test this stuff and try it out. And it's not just like, hey, I tried this and it's cool. Here here's a recommendation. It's like very in depth.
Speaker 19: It's very in depth. Absolutely.
Speaker 18: I like to say that the writing a guide can take months to months long, sometimes years long process, and it builds upon all the expertise that these writers and editors have kind of gathered over the years from talking with experts and other people.
Speaker 1: All right, so tell me about this Best New Picks. How's it different than your regular recommendations.
Speaker 19: Yeah, so Best New Picks.
Speaker 18: We it's our very first awards franchise here are Wirecutter, and we're super excited about it because we think of it as a celebration of all of our favorite picks kind of products that we've designated as picks over the past year. So, as I said before, we're evaluating tens of thousands of products and then we decide on around three thousand every year. Of those three thousand, this list of seventy one are the ones that we truly can't stop talking about. We have them in our homes, we recommend them to our friends and family all of those kind of products that stick with us and have stayed with us over the past year.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of tech on this list, so a lot of tech like let's you want to give me a pick or what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 18: I will preface this with saying that I am on the kind of luddite scale of the spectrum when it comes to the wirecutter expertise. So I received the lifestyle categories, but there are so many great tech options in here. One that I really like that is like maybe a little bit tech, but it kind of speaks to my desire to be a bird watcher in my life. But it's the smart the Birdifi Smart bird Home. It is solar powered, so it doesn't require any sort of hookups, and it kind of feeds video and notification to an app on your phone, so it's really easy to kind of just see a bird family in action and kind of you can see them build the nest, see them lay the eggs, and I think it's just a really cute and fun and really great present for people who maybe aren't super tech savvy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not that expensive. I've seen these digital bird feeders and some of them can get very expensive, since this one's around one hundred dollars, which is cool. And then I also like how you say what we like, Oh it's solar powered like you said, which is really neat. And then it says flaws but not deal breakers. So you kind of give people the good and the bad.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that is that's definitely one of our you know, our core tenths at where culde we want to really make sure that people understand not just all the good things, but where it kind of can go wrong and make a decision for themselves that makes sense.
Speaker 19: For their their life.
Speaker 1: You got another one that you want to mention?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 18: Really enjoy the I love that vintage chech is making a comeback as an elder millennial who you know, could have remembered when phones had buttons and I one of the things that made an appearance investing picks from our av team is the I don't actually know how to pronounce it, but the Cyriten portable CD player. So we published a brand new guide to portable CD players.
Speaker 19: Can you believe it? Yeah? Right, in the last few months.
Speaker 1: And that's one We had a caller on this show about they wanted a portable CD player for their Tesla, and I'm not kidding. It was like a recurring theme for like three shows because everyone was like chiming in about it. Why would you need that? And the other people said, yes, that's great. I mean, so these things are they do serve a purpose, but keep going.
Speaker 18: Yeah, CD players they're back, and so now you have a reason to use all of the dusty CDs that are somewhere in your storage. So this was a really great option from our Portable CD Guide that our AB team really loved.
Speaker 19: It's I believe it's around three hundred dollars.
Speaker 18: It's Bluetooth enabled, it kind of works with all the technology you already have, and it's just a really great way to use your old CDs.
Speaker 1: It's actually way cheaper. It's only ninety nine dollars. I'm looking on Amazon right now, so it's the uh it's that I don't know the company that ai side trend, I don't know. But it gets good ratings. You know, you guys have rated it really well in ninety nine dollars. If you want to play, it's got Bluetooth so you can use speakers, headphones, has a rechargeable battery so you don't have to like put batteries in it. Kind of cool. I mean, there you go. I mean there's so much. I mean I'm looking at there's you know, this has everything from home to core to other stuff. But like the tech section has speakers so adults. It's got this little ebook like an e ink tablet. It's got obviously the Sony headphones that everyone loves, the noise cancelation. It's got an ol ed TV, it's got the switch to which people love. The outdoor lights everyone's stringing up on their home now. So, I mean there's a lot of things on here. What's the plan for this? How often is this going to be updated? These best New picks.
Speaker 19: So this is a new annual awards program that we're doing.
Speaker 18: It involves again, it involves a lot of passing throughout the year obviously to make the pick. But then the way that we kind of came up with this group of seventy one winners that our writers and editors in our newsroom nominated, who all the products that they thought were their favorites of the year. We went through an entire selection process, so that in itself took a few months to do, and we're excited to kind of get the ball rolling on the next year's iteration of this franchise. But we're just really excited to give our readers another way to experience all the picks that we have on our site.
Speaker 1: All right, final question. I know a lot of these awards, you know these To get into the running for the awards, you have to pay, Like a lot of these websites will make you pay to enter. Do you guys do that?
Speaker 18: No, we do not do pay for play at Wirecutter. We adhere to the New York Times ethics standards and so you can those are on the site. You can read them. But we are never sponsored. We don't accept money for recommend any recommending anything. Any product that you see in our site is something that our editors and writers have truly tested and recommend themselves without any sort of bapte site influence.
Speaker 1: Nice, all right, you can find it. Is there a short Is there a short way to find this link or what to get to me?
Speaker 18: We don't have a short link, but you can go to your ny Times dot com slash ware cutter and then just in the search tab, just search best New Picks and you'll find it there.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see it the winners of our twenty twenty six Best New Picks Awards. If you want to check them out, I will link it up on my website as well. Rich On Tech dot TV Leadashi, thanks so much for joining me today from the Wirecutter.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Rich all right, uh eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll get back to those phone lines. Plus, I'm gonna tell you about Amazon pushing delivery speeds to the limit. You can now get stuff in one hour or three hours, but it's going to cost you even if you're a Prime member. I'll explain coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. This is American Girls from Harry Styles. He must have come out with a new album, because anytime an artist comes out with the new album, they start playing all the music from the album and then you're like, oh, that's a good song. Oh that's a good song. So he's got this one in aperture, which you know Harry Styles. I think he was in that boy band, the One Direction or something, and he was Okay, I mean, I'm not like a boy band person. But he's got good music, that's right, the swift I mean, I like I like Taylor. I think we're gonna play her today. But I'm telling you he's got two I mean every his songs are good. Let's go to Aperture. We got to when we play Aperture, that's one of my favorite beat. Right now, let's go to Laura in Youngstown, Ohio. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 16: Hi there.
Speaker 20: I'm having a problem with.
Speaker 15: My Peace.
Speaker 20: It's a desktop. It's running Windows can It's the one that was And what happens is once I turn it on, I could it runs for about a five minutes and then it freezes up and so then I have to kind of manually shut it down. And so then you know, it comes on again, and uh, same thing about five minutes into five minutes into it, it's.
Speaker 17: Just stops.
Speaker 1: It just stops comes to a halt. Is it is this something that's new happening or is this something that's been going.
Speaker 3: On for a while, But no, it just started years ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, have you done any software updates recently?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, so number one, you're running Windows ten. Are you on the Extended Security Updates program? Yeah, okay, good, okay, good. So there's not really any major updates for your system anymore except for security updates, so that's number one, so make sure you're doing those. It could be a couple of things when it's not starting up properly. It could be a hardware failure. So it could be that your system's overheating, or it could be that a component is failing and that's why it's working for a couple of minutes before it overheats, or something is failing in the RAM or the drive or whatever, So that could be one of those things. How old is this did you mention that maybe.
Speaker 16: Maybe eight years, ten years?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, so it's definitely getting up there, so that could be a possibility. What I would do is two things. Number one, there's a free program called Microsoft PC Manager. Have you heard of this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I would download that and run that and see if you can just kind of optimize your system, do a health check, you can kind of do a cleaning. There's like a whole bunch of little tools on there that I would try to if you can, I mean, if you can get this thing installed in the five minutes I.
Speaker 16: Tried to nowhere. But it's not enough time, okay.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Every time, every time it's five minutes. Okay, it's kind of like a it's like an action movie. You've got like five minutes to disable the bomb. Okay. So in that case, what I would do is you can you can look at the ms can fig. So there's a way to start your computer up. It's called like a safe boot. So it's gonna be where it's not going to boot up every one of your programs, Like when you run your computer, when you turn it on, it's loading like a whole bunch of stuff, right, like these little programs you've installed over the years. So that's part of the problem is one of those could be creating an issue.
Speaker 16: So what I would do is I never know which ones to get rid of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there is a there's a great app for that. It's called should I Delete Let's see, I gotta oh gosh, what's it called should I delete it? Let me say should I delete that? I think it's should I delete it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Should Oh?
Speaker 1: Here it is should I remove it? So if you ever have a question, go to this website should I Remove it dot com. You can type in the name of the program and it will tell you like, yeah, you can easily remove that program, no problem, it's splowwear. So anyway, I'll put that link on the website anyway. But if you go to this ms can fig and then you look at the options you have, you can do a diagnostic startup. And so once you do that, it will basically just load the main things your computer needs to run. And if you can load that and you can start up your computer and it stays on past the five minutes, you know it's something on your computer and it's not the hardware. It's some sort of software that you have installed that is interfering. And then you can go through and start to look in your startup programs and see if you can delete, you know, some programs that you no longer need or use. So that's that's the first.
Speaker 16: Thing to do, is and how do I get to the MSIG.
Speaker 1: Just type it in at the bottom of the search and just type in ms can fig and then you type that, it'll bring you in system Configurator and you'll see you have startup selection normal or diagnostic. And then there's also you know, there's a couple of things in here. You can you know, do a boot into safe mode. Safe mode is like super super, it's just doing like the absolute necessity. But I would start with that general and just do the selective startup or sorry, the diagnostic startup.
Speaker 16: The diagnostic yeah.
Speaker 1: And see what that. See if you can get past the five minutes on there, and if you can, you might download the Microsoft PC Manager and you know, scan your computer, do the health check and go from there, and then you know, I'll definitely remove any programs that you no longer need or use.
Speaker 16: Okay, And then if if I can get it to should I put it in safe mode? If would that give me enough time to like do a health check or whatever.
Speaker 1: The safe mode will that it should work. It just depends. Safe mode is pretty so you can try that. If I would try the first thing, the diagnostics startup first. If that doesn't work, then I'd boot into safe mode and try that and see. But I think that the diagnostic startup is going to just do the basics. And I think that if you can get the basics and your computer still works, then you can move from there to see like, Okay, my computer's fine. The hardware is fine. It's just a software issue. And then you can go through and kind of hopefully clean that up.
Speaker 16: So and the only place I go to clean that up is the startup Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well the PC manager from Yeah, I mean, I would go in the.
Speaker 16: Manager will tell me the Microsoft PA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll give you some options for things, and you know, and that'll that's a good program to kind of just like see what's happening with your computer. I'm seeing if I have my uh do I even have it? Yeah, I do have it, but I was gonna see because you can go in there and I haven't, don't have it. Insult in this computer? Interesting? But yeah, I would I would do that and and just see what that one says. And then I would go through into your programs and try to just get rid of programs that you don't need, that you're not using, restart the thing, and hopefully we bring this computer back to life. But I would say Laura that you know, after ten years, it's probably time to start thinking about a new computer. You've got till October when your security updates, you're going to run out. So I would plan on getting something new. If you can get this thing up and running, you still got to plan on getting something new. After October. There's ways of rescuing this computer. You can install Chromos Flex on it. You can install Linux Mint on it if you want to just browse the web and do simple things. But it just depends what you want to do on this computer. Yeah, you can also do a clean install of Windows to kind of start everything fresh, but that's a little bit much for a computer that's ten years old. I think, thanks for the call today, appreciate it. Hopefully you get that thing going, and yes, I will link it up. I actually know that a lot of you were looking at the website to get the link I mentioned about the streaming services. I did put it on there. I forgot and I just put it on there, so it is there. Amazon has new ultra fast delivery options. We're talking one hour and three hour delivery on tens of thousands of items, and this is already live in hundreds of cities for the one hour delivery and more than two thousand cities for the three hour delivery. Now, the funny thing is, I've been going to this website that Amazon says to go to, which is Amazon dot com slash get it Fast, and it keeps saying unavailable for me. So maybe they're still rolling this out in a bunch of places. But the long and the short of it is that they're talking. You know, they've got groceries on here, everyday essentials, electronics, clothes, medications. But here's the thing. If you want one hour delivery, even as a Prime member, you're still going to have to pay ten dollars for that delivery. If you want three hour delivery, you can pay five dollars. This is all about convenience, and obviously it is all about the competition. We know you can order things off Uber. Now, you can order things off door Dash. There's many ways. Go puff, I think is another one. There's many ways of getting things to your home fast. And Amazon is like, hold on, hold on, we invented fast shipping. We want to be there too. And before you get poop pooh paying all this money for something fast, I had to do this. I was doing my show remote. I needed a one hundred foot Ethernet cable and I got it on DoorDash from best Buy. Took forty five minutes to get it to my dad's house, and I could not believe what a lifesaver that was. So people do need this stuff, even though I'm not paying nine ninety nine for one hour delivery unless I ever need it, like really really needed. Amazon dot com slash get it fast. If you want to check it out, see if it's available by you. Eight and eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two pour one zero one. More rich On Tech coming your way right after this. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is the other Harry Styles song, Aperture. It's got this really long intro and a really long outro which just like this great beat, and it took me a while to get used to it or to really enjoy it. And now it's like I can't get enough. And so yes, I just paid one seven hundred and twenty nine dollars and sold my blood to get tickets to a Harry Styles concert. I just kidding. I mean some of these tickets have gotten out of control. Apparently they are for his concerts. Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh So a quick story time, maybe not that quick, but this week this was just wild. I know, if you follow me on social media and you get my newsletter rich on tech dot TV, you know that I've had kind of a bad run with automobiles lately, Like I had my accident back in September. My wife was involved in an auto accident a couple of weeks ago. And then out of the blue, I get a phone call, Hi, Rich, this is I'm not going to give their name or the company with rental car company. We see that you damaged your car to the tune of twenty five hundred dollars on your last rental. Which credit card would you like to use to take care of that? I said, exqueeze me, what next?
Speaker 15: Thing?
Speaker 1: You know, we are getting into it. I have no idea who this person is. Now the company, yes, I did rent a car from them, and I said, okay, give me some more identifying information, okay, And so they start to give me all this information. I'm like, okay, oh, they kind of have all my info. I'm like, but ma'am, all this information you can get online, like it's just public info out there, like my name, you know whatever. And she but they did have like info about when I actually rented a car, but I'm on social media so prevalently that like, I probably said that I rented a car that weekend. Anyway, so she's like, she kept pushing me to just give a credit card number to take care of this charge sight on scene. I'm like, I didn't damage your car. I'm I'm not gonna just pay a twenty five hundred dollars bill. No way do people actually do this? Probably that's why they do this. So anyway, so I'm thinking this is probably a scam. So I said, I said, send me an email with all the info. We don't have your email address. How do you not have my email address? I rented a car from you. You have all this other infos at my email. Now, I don't know if they were they were trying to trick me or something, but I said, all right, well then send me a letter. So she had my home address, so she said, okay, fine, I'll send a letter. But she was very angry about it, and so I hang up. She gives me a phone number to call back. Obviously, I don't call back that number, so I go on the website of the company. I call their number. Took me forever to get a human and finally they look it up and they said, oh, yeah, this is actually legitimate. I said what I said, I didn't damage this car. Okay, well you got to take it up with these people. So I called back, and long story short, I get another person who just immediately gets into the Okay, which card would you like? We need to figure out this quickly before we send it to collections all this stuff. I'm like, ma'am, I'm like, I'm not just paying a bill that I don't believe is mine, right, Like, I'm sorry, I didn't damage this car. So I go get me a supervisor. Oh, it's gonna take a long time to get a supervisor. You're not gonna be happy. You're gonna it's gonna take a long time. I'll wait. So finally I wait like ten minutes for the supervisor, and I will tell you. I get the supervisor and we got off to a little bit of a rocky start, you know, cause I'm kind of huffing and puffing. But he turned out to be very nice, and I was like, sir, I've rented cars for twenty years. I've never had a problem come at me. A month after this rental is returned, send me the information. He had my email address. Somehow he was able to send me an email. So he sends me an email with all the pictures they took of this damage, and I go, okay, well, explain this to me. When I returned this car, it had this many miles on it. You took these damage pictures at this many miles, which is many miles after I returned it. So in that time anything could have happened. Your sales associate could have driven this thing into the wall, like someone else could have rented it. And he's like, okay, you kind of got us there. I said, yeah, And also I didn't do this, damn it. So he goes, actually, I'm looking at the pictures and this some of this damage looks old and some of it looks rusty, and yeah, you're right. This car was driven after you rent it or after you returned it. And so I was like, and he was kind of turning in my favor, and I said, all right, well, let's clear this up right now. I'm not paying this. Let's clear it up. And he was like, you know what, that's what we're gonna do. I said, well, thank you. I said, well, how do I keep this from happening in the future. And this is my takeaway. I know it's taking me a while to get there, but my key takeaway is what I've already told you to do is take pictures of all four sides of your rental car. You have to, and in this case I didn't. Of course, the one time that there's a problem, I didn't take pictures of the rental car. So take pictures of all four sides when you rent it, when you return it, make sure you have that. That's the best you can do because if they come at you with something like this you don't have it. You know, they could just put you on for this money. And he then he then said, you know, you could buy the insurance, which I don't typically do, And he said, you know you can this This airport that you rented at is actually one of our worst offenders for doing stuff like this. I'm like, okay, so you know this happens all the time. My point is take the pictures. Also, you know I I have a credit card that has what's called primary rental car insurance. There are only a handful of credit cards that offer that. Most of them are secondary, which means if you were to actually not accept the rental car company's insurance. And you get your you know, you're using your own, You're gonna have to go through your primary insurance, which is, you know, not something you necessarily want to do. So if you have and your credit card pops in at secondary, so anything your main insurance doesn't cover, they'll cover. So I would look for a credit card that has primary rental car insurance, something that I've always demanded of my credit card because I do think that it would come in handy in a situation like this. Not that I damage this car, but if I did, you know, you can rely on that. So anyway, that's my story what I mean. This really got me going. I was really like, hold on, how do I even prove that I didn't do this damage? But as soon as they sent me those pictures with the odometer, I was like, okay, that's my key right there. I returned this car at this odominant number, they returned it, They took these pictures out of there, and I said, by the way, you had a human check the car when I returned it. That human would have said something if there was a problem, right, So come on, I'm getting worked up. Just talking about that. All right, Let's let's go to Thatcher in Santa Barbara. Thatcher you're on with Rich. Okay, I think Thatcher left us. Let's go to Thatcher.
Speaker 11: Are you there?
Speaker 1: No, he's not. Let's go to okay line Oh do I take the wrong line? No? I can't even tell what line? This says line five. All right, Let's go to Robert at Huntingdon Beach. You're on with Rich. Robert? Are you there? All right? What's happening here? But what am I doing wrong here? Robert?
Speaker 10: Are you there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right, I give up. I will do an email question while we figure out what's going on with the phone lines. Kim says lines might be messed up. Okay, well all right, let's see. Let's try one more time here, Robert are you there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know who knows? I you know, let's see. Oh now, Bo was saying, try the other side, Hello, Robert, you there?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Now it just seems silly.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 1: Mary in Huntington Beach writes in hey, Rich, I watch you on Katla. I really like your information and you personally, Oh thank you, that was nice. I'm looking for your recommendation. For a safe subscription app. Thank you to two subscription apps. I like number one, Bobby. This is a very simple option. You manually enter your subscription so it doesn't connect to your bank accounts, which means you know less your personal information is shared. But it's not going to be as automatic as the second one I'm going to recommend, which is Rocket Money. So Rocket Money can automatically find those subscriptions. This started out as a company called true Bill. They do a great job, but you have to link up your bank or credit card accounts, which means you have to give them access to your financial information, which means they're probably monetizing your data in some you know, in some way. So if you want the maximum privacy, I go with Bobby. If you want automatic tracking, probably Rocket Money is more convenient. There's actually a lot of apps out there, a lot of smaller apps for keeping track of subscriptions. You can also just keep a spreadsheet. There's also another app I like, but it is paid. It's called monarch Money, which is fantastic when you do have to link up your accounts, but it's all private because you pay for it, right, So if you're paying for the service, they're probably not monetizing off you. If you're not paying for the service, they're monetizing off your data. So Monarch is a great one. But again that Bobby, that Bobby app. Let me see if there's like a certain way you have to do this, just to type it in here. Subscription app, h Bobby, It's called bobbyapp dot co. Bobby app dot co. That one is only on iOS. Anyway, if you have an app that you like for subscriptions, email me hello at richon Tech dot tv. I'll mention it in the next segment. Eighty eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four two four one zero one. We will try to get our phone lines working again when we come back right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, Talking Technology, triple eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show is rich on Tech dot tv.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Once you're there, tap the let's see tap about and you've got the rich on Tech checklist. So uh, follow me on Instagram at rich on Tech, sign up for my free newsletter, and then subscribe to my podcast. That's the the on demand version of this show. So those are the three things. If you like what you hear here, that's what you do rich on tech dot TV, tap about and follow the rich on tech checklist. How many are you signed up with? Hopefully all of them? Let's go to Wilmer. Yes, I'm here in Santa Monica. What's up?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: I'm thinking, oh my god, because somebody come on the last time before I can get to answer, whether they freaking hung up on me or whatever or put me back on hold.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, well no, we we lost every other callers. You are our last hope. Oh well, thank god, better make it good. What's up? What's happening?
Speaker 3: I had some previous emails and a phone number years and years ago. Now it's probably been about three years or four years now, and I don't have that information. And yesterday I went in into a place to download in order to join the gym or whatever, I had to download the app and it could give on my phone so I could just shove the phone when I walked in there or whatever. And I was unable to do that because when I went into just to retrieve my ID pathword, it said that it would send me a text, but it would send it, but it sends it to the old address and I no longer have that Apple ID or anything, or I don't even have that email to the old address. I did happen to write down some old emails, if that will help.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, so basically you're talking iPhone, is that it? Or you're talking Android?
Speaker 3: Yes, iPhone?
Speaker 1: Okay, so iPhone. You you have your iPhone, but when you went to download an app, it said, hey, we want to verify this before you download the app, and you couldn't verify it id.
Speaker 3: Your Apple ID is not correct, and uh, well I got the ones that I wrote down here. I have an old email.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I have the old path.
Speaker 3: Word written down here five views before in the past. Okay, I don't have my telephone number, right.
Speaker 1: They're trying to text you something when you go into your settings, does it when you tap your name up at the top, is the email under your name the one that you would expect it to be or.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, no, the new one is because I created the new one. My nephew helped me to do that or whatever. And he's computer savvy. I'm computer dumb. You know you've seen those books for dummies.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm that when I fall into that category.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, so when you went to to authorize this iTunes store or whatever, I don't even if they call it that anymore. Just the the app download it was a different Apple I D.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, it said it wasn't right, okay, I figure. And they said, we'll send your proof of whatever to the old to the not date N say, the old, but to your email address. Well, I had since then changed the email address to this new email address, and I'm unable to download anything because they don't have a verification of me change in anything because they don't have the new.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, I think at the end of the day, this is probably going to require a visit to the Apple Store to see what's going on, because I can't really I can't really picture what's happening here because if you're signed in with your with your Apple I D, I'm not sure why it's asking for a different idea.
Speaker 3: I'm not signed in with the Apple I D. They said you were unable to retrieve that, Oh got it?
Speaker 1: Okay, So it sounds okay. So what I would recommend is you probably have you tried this, uh, I forgot that Apple dot Com. Have you tried that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did everything with my nephew or whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, And that's where they try to set you up with the with the email where they send you the thing and you can't.
Speaker 3: Do it, and they send me the correction to my email address. But that old email is where they sent it. They didn't send it to.
Speaker 1: The new one, right, Okay, I see. Its sounds like you've got some some different accounts here, like a mix of old. Now you said you had a.
Speaker 3: New one old accounts, two old accounts and one old phone number.
Speaker 1: Okay, And here's okay, So here's my main question. Why can't you just sign up for a new Apple Idea and start fresh since you haven't used these in so long.
Speaker 15: That's what I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: But they're saying your your information is associated with the oldest stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I wonder if I could, because I will do that. I'll just had to write a down word for word or.
Speaker 1: What identifiable information on the on the air here. But here's here's what I would do. At the end of the day. It sounds to me like there's you have an old Apple Idea account that you can no longer access because they're trying to text that recovery code to your you're an old phone number that you no longer have access to, which happens over time. This is why I always like an authentication app versus a text message. But that's a whole other story. You set this up wave for so if it's not working, if you can't recover your account by going to iforgot that Apple dot com, I would go to the Apple Store explain the issue to them. They will have you either try to they will know the process of trying to get you back on this Apple ID, or they may have you sign up for a new one using new information and a new phone number that is not linked to an old account. Because it sounds like sometimes these accounts get so far down the line that you know there's no way of recovering them. But it just depends. It depends on what they can do. So I'm not able to help you over the air here because I can't really give you like a you know, hey, this is what you have to do and it'll just fix it all Like it doesn't sound like it's that easy. If you were able to sign up with a new Apple ID, That's probably what I'd recommend. Using a new phone number and a new email address so you have not used previously, that would probably be the easiest way to avoid uh, you know, going into an Apple store. But otherwise, other than that, I think I think you go to the Apple store. That's the beauty of having Apple is that you know, head head to the Third Street promenade and you know it's a beautiful store going there, and and someone at the genius Bart can help you there. Thanks for the call, Wlilmer, and please, once you figure it out, email me hello at rich on tech dot TV and let me know what the solution was so that we can share it here on the show and other people who may have a similar issue don't have to go through that. Thanks for the call today, Tony and New Jersey says, Hey, I'm listening to all your podcasts. I know you test a lot of screen protectors. Got Samsung S twenty five Ultra. Uh, these screen protectors just don't work. Swiping gestures, you're fine, but fingerlock on fingerprint unlock never works. I've even enabled touch sensitivity and it still won't read any recommendations.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I actually had to pull the screen protector off the Samsung because it was interfering with the fingerprint reader so bad. Best I can say is press a little bit harder to register your fingerprint. That's the only tip I've gotten from the screen protector. People eighty to eight Rich one oh one, rich on Tech dot TV, Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Playing some of my favorite tunes recently. This is Somber, Sombr. They've got a lot of great, great songs I'm really enjoying right now. So that's Somber. Also one of Taylor Swift's favorites. So take that. Okay, We've got Patricia egger On, head of security at Proton. I talked about Proton there, the security first company. They offer email and all kinds of other services. But they have this new thing called Born Private and this is a new initiative to kind of create an email address for your child when they're first born and protect their digital identity from day one. So Patricia, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Thanks, So tell me about where did this come from, this whole like born Private, and did I explain it? Explain what the initiative is. First off, sure.
Speaker 4: So the initiative is really for one for parents, call to action for them to protect their kids online. Proton to to survey earlier this year that showed that a majority of parents are concerned about their kids digital privacy or their online privacy and are actively looking for ways to protect their kids. And there's a sense of lack of agency, like people don't know what to do, People don't know how to help their kids and to protect them. And so this is what the Born Private initiative is really basically setting your kids up for success online later on. And that basically means you reserve an email address from them, a Proton email address for them, and it basically stays dormant for ten to fifteen years until the kid is ready to use it. And that's all that comes for a dollar which is donated to the Proton Foundation.
Speaker 1: And so the idea here is that if you were to sign up with a big tech email address, what they would deactivate it if you didn't use it for a couple of years or something.
Speaker 4: Typically typically emails do get deactivated or revoked if you don't use them at all. And so this is like a legal guarantee that we that protons set up for anyone who starts an email through this campaign that they can keep it for fifteen years before they don't need to touch it in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Interesting, And so what do you think the advantages of Proton email? You know, because I've talked about Proton on the show before. You guys offer a lot of different products. I'm looking. You've got mail, you've got calendar, you've got a meeting app, You've got the Authenticator, which I absolutely love and recommend. You've got proton Pass, which is a password manager, VPN drive, docs sheets more than I even realized. So explain what Proton is all about in general.
Speaker 4: So, in general, Proton is a tech company, but it focuses on building privacy focused digital tools. So the goal is really to give our users control over their personal data. And this was founded in twenty fourteen. We started with proton Mail, as you mentioned, and then since then expanded to a whole suite of other online tools as you mentioned, VPN passworm Manager, etcetera, etcetera.
Speaker 1: And what does that mean you guys? A lot of your stuff is end to end encrypted. What does that mean to the average person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So basically there's some cryptography and whatnot in the background. But what it means to users is essentially that we even as employees at Proton, cannot access the contents of our user's emails for instance, so we can't go ahead go snooping. We can't also give it to anyone else, So whether it's law enforcement or anyone, you know, if there's a data breach, that the data would be encrypted, and so it's not really useful. So that's a major difference if you compare it to the you know, the big tech email providers that most people use.
Speaker 1: So you talk about this back to this whole born private initiative where you basically reserve your child's email address at birth. So you said that this keeps it private. It kind of like, you know, keeps their identity private at the beginning. So is that different than reserving it because once you put their name and information into another you know, big tech database, why it just gets like sucked into like all the other data that they have or what.
Speaker 19: Yeah, So the the.
Speaker 4: Classic or the standard email company will is based off of ads, right, and so they monetize their users data. So whenever you start, when you put your foot in the door, there they're gonna they're gonna start gathering information about you and creating that profile. Whether you're a kid, whether you're an adult that they you know, doesn't matter. And so that's that's what starts, and that's the trigger. And what's really important to understand I think about email is that it's oftentimes kind of the glue that sticks all of the various pieces of your digital identity together. And so that's why it's a really important part of somebody's online presence or their online identities is that email, because it's going to be it's going to be linking all those pieces together. And so basically with Proton, there's nothing happening with that digital identity until you're you know, the kid is old enough to start using it. And that's a pretty big difference from again, the usual email providers out there.
Speaker 1: Now this is the other. Now here's a question because we were talking Bobo, my producer here, he recently had a child and they set up an email address and the wife, his wife sends little emails of like memories and stuff to that email address, which I thought was kind of cool. But just to be clear here, this email address is not to it's not like an inbox that can collect stuff over those fifteen years? Is that is that right?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Correct, So it stays empty for until you activate it and then it's just a normal email account. But in the meantime it stays empty, and it doesn't there's no tracking of the child and none of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so what's been the response to this? I mean, what is what's been the It's only been a couple days since you guys announced this, but have you gotten a lot of reservations? And that dollar is really it goes to your foundation, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly goes to the foundation, which is legally obliged to protect privacy above profits. So that's that's also something that sets Proton apart. But I think, I mean, at least in the the parents and people around me, I think people were really excited about it, and and to me personally, it's also what I what I really like about this campaign. And I know it's probably not what the people who created that actually were, you know, intending to do, but I think it's the there's a there's an education element here that that I think is really important, which is, you know, parents really need to understand for themselves what all of this means because they cannot protect their kids if they don't, if they don't understand, and they can't, they start by protecting themselves. So I think that has been I mean, I think in that sense it's been quite successful at least people around me who really realize, Okay, like I'm a parent, this is I have this responsibility to do to not just protect my kids, you know, on the street and in the playground and whatever, but also online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's not easy. And especially when they start getting their own gadgets, that's that's when it really gets tough. Patricia, How can folks find this online? Where do they go for this information?
Speaker 4: So they go to Proton dot me and I think then it's slash mail and then slash born Private. And if you just google proton born Private, you'll you'll find the you'll find the page and.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link on my website. Rich on tech dot TV. Uh, I know it's getting late over there in Switzerland. Thanks for joining me today on the show, My Pleasure.
Speaker 19: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks so much for being on. Patricia Egger, head of security at Proton Again. The website is proton dot me, all right, we are going to uh take a quick break, and then we're going to open up the feedbag. Oh my gosh, where is it? The feedbag is really filled this week, so I'm gonna try to get through as much as humanly possible. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking to technology. So I will tell you my week looks a little bit like this. Any free moment I have in my life, I am sitting down to my computer and reading your emails. No joke. I get that many from you. It is almost a full time job at this point. And I do read them. I do look at them. I do try to reply. I do have a backlog most days. So if you don't get a reply for me, and you know a quick amount of time, just understand that there are a lot of these that I'm getting and I do try to make them. You know, weave them into my newsletter the show, send you thank you notes, whatever, but just know that I do read them. If you want to email me, it is rich on tech dot TV. You just hit contact up at the top and that will send your email. Rest assured it does make its way to my inbox. Rod says, I just want to say you're doing an amazing job keeping us up to date with all the tech craziness these days. I'm a big fan. Thank you, Rod. Gary in Connecticut, Hey Rich, I asked you about recycling old cell phones and ended up trying one of those Eco ATM kiosks. There's a bunch around me here in Connecticut. I had three Samsungs sitting on top of my fridge. I didn't want to throw them away, and the process is easy. You enter the phone on the website. They give you a code to use at the kiosk. If you have more than one phone, it's a little annoying because there's no way to enter a code. After the selling the first one, all three of my phones worked but had cracked screens. I got twenty three dollars each. Honestly, it was worth it just to finally get rid of them. The Kiosk pays in cash or Venmo. Thanks Gary. I think they just installed one by me. I want to try that out with an old phone. Steve says, Hey Rich after hearing the segment about AT and t's one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the telephone call. I was thinking, how far we've come. One big improvement in the modern phone world. No more long distance charges. That is so true. I remember switching to like MCI for like cheaper long distance at some point. All the commercials would be about long distance on TV back in the day. Chris in Colorado listening on eight fifty am koa Denversus. I've listened to your show quite a few times, and I'm usually driving so I don't get to call in. I'd like to get on your mailing list for some of the cool stuff you talk about. I'm not very tech savvy, but you've really helped me quite in a few areas. I don't feel so stupid about that stuff anymore. Thanks for doing a great job on the show. Rich on tech dot TV hit newsletter if you want to sign up. Thank you, Doug. I was looking to upgrade my fifteen year old MacBook Pro but kept holding off because of the prices. Then I heard you talk about the MacBook Neo for five hundred ninety nine dollars, and as a retired person, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much, Doug. This is why I talk about this stuff. Now the MacBook Neo I was going to talk about no matter what. But this is why you know people sit there in the back, Rich, you recommended this or you talk about that. It's like there are many people in this world, and everyone has a different want, a different need, and so that's why I'm always just kind of mentioning as much as humanly possible, because there's always someone out there that can use the information. Alex is listening in the UK over KFI. I guess on the live stream, just following up on the caller asking about a Chromebook with an external monitor, keyboard in mouse. Many Chromebooks can connect to a monitor using HDMI, USBC, or another adapter depending on the model. Most also support external keyboards and mice. Because chromebooks often have limited ports, you might need a USB hub, though Bluetooth accessories are another option. Yeah, I kind of missed the boat on that one, Alex, because the caller asked about that and I wasn't really sure, but clearly you can. They also have those chrome boxes. I guess they're called the almost looks like a Mac Mini, but it's a chrome chromoos. Norma says in Los Angeles, Hey, Rich just wanted to say a big thank you for the useful information you share in your newsletters and on TV. I've been following you since I retired from the City of Los Angeles as a computer systems analysts five years ago. Your updates helped keep me up with the latest tech and I really appreciate it. Oh well, thank you, Norma. I appreciate that, and you know your stuff. If you're a computer systems analyst, you probably know more than I do about this stuff. Tony hey Rich just wanted to say thanks for recommending the Backup SMS app for Android. I installed it on my Galaxy S twenty five Ultra and tested both the backup and restore features. It worked flawlessly. I liked it so much I ended up giving the pro version a review. I gave you credit for the recommendation, looking forward to the podcast and the newsletter. Thanks again. You're an absolute tech gem. Wow, a tech gem. That program is called SMS Backup and Restore. So a lot of people want to back up their text messages or print them out. On Android. It's very easy. On iPhone, not so easy. There are apps that can do it, but they are third party and they do cost money, so I amazing is one of them. And soft oh Reno, they have one. I think it's called alt tunes that can do it. Let's see that can do it as well. Where is it all tunes? Yeah, let's see what else. Moving down the list here, Bernie says, hey, Rich, I recently finished the Laws of Human Nature book, and I thought it was great on many levels. I especially liked how the author wove in historical events and people throughout the book. I was actually surprised to hear you mention it. Yes, I mentioned that in my newsletter that I started listening to that book. When a book is really big, like the Laws of Human Nature is really like, it's a lot. I like to listen to it because it is hefty, but I am enjoying it. It's teaching me a lot about people. I know all about narcissists. Now Bobo just looked up.
Speaker 10: Ye, I'm ancist.
Speaker 1: I got your attention. You're not a narcissist. Believe me, you're there's deep narcissists, which is my new favorite word. That's when you're truly a narcissist. What I'm not, No, you're not.
Speaker 10: No, I'm not I'm too insecure.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're not insecure. Actually, a lot of narcissists are deep down. People mistake narcissism for insecurity.
Speaker 10: Maybe I am.
Speaker 1: They mistake insecurity for narcissism.
Speaker 10: Actually, so insecure narcissism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. You find that couch buddy, uh Rita. I put an air tag in my husband's glasses because the glasses case because I was constantly hearing have you seen my glasses? But it was bulky and I worried about it scratching leuns is. I found a glasses case called the Spotminders glasses case that has built in tracking and works with apples. Find my It looks just like a normal case, but you see exactly where your glasses are. I can't be the only one dealing with this problem. Uh it's funny. Spotminders just sent me a tracker to test out for the first time, so I will be seeing how their stuff works. But there you go, Spotminders. Uh oh, Kim says narcissists are narcissists because they are insecure. Oh see, what do we know, Bobo? We don't. We just don't know. Uh Less says, I've been listening to your radio show since the beginning. I haven't missed an episode. First Off, thanks for being so helpful. Are also very entertaining. I also have to say I agree with your wife that your newsletters can get a bit wordy, but I still read them every time. Okay, you know what, Less, I'm not even gonna read the rest of yours. I want to oh a long time ago. My wife she reads my newsletters and she goes, you know, they're a little long. I'm like, yeah, I know. I'm giving people their money's worth.
Speaker 10: You're breaking it down.
Speaker 1: People understand giving you value. It's called yes. And every time I try to sit down, I say, oh, I'm gonna make this one short. I can't.
Speaker 10: You can't.
Speaker 1: It's just there's too much to say. Next week I'll just send out one line. I'll be like, thanks for reading.
Speaker 10: Was supposed to have our backs, not Chris.
Speaker 1: He wants to less says, I want to share a more analog idea for emergency contacts when you're out running or working late. I've been using the road I D risk band for more than a decade. Has my name, city, and my phone numbers for my wife's sons and daughter. Thankfully, I've never had an accident but makes me feel more secure. Wearing it during workouts might be worth mentioning. Yes, the road id risk bands. I have one of these for my kids. When they were little and I had them on their risks, I was like, oh my gosh, my kid went missing, like you know, walks off or whatever, Like how did anyone know who they are? And one time we did lose my kid, Parker in a pumpkin patch. I'm not kidding. We want with our friends. He was like one year old and we get to the front where we're all checking out with our pumpkins. We have all this stuff we're buying and everyone looks around the like, do you have Parker?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Do you have Parker?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: Thankfully, they had gates around this pumpkin patch. I think this is the first time I'm telling the story, so I'm so embarrassed. We were so scared. Oh my gosh, that was really bad. Mike, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Don't ever let that happen. Don't We found them, thankfully. Mike. Just want to say thanks for your emails and your radio show Create Information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. John gives a Ham Radio thanks to Just want to say thanks for doing rich on Tech, I can always find a tidbit or two that's really helpful. You cover so many things. I have no idea how to keep track of it all, but you do a good job. Seventy three seventy three we know is the ham radio slang or something like thank you? Probably just butchered that too. That's gonna do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on the website. Just go to rich on Tech dot TV. Can find me on social media. If you're not following me on Instagram, it is at rich on Tech. That is where I post all the stuff that I think you should know. When it comes to Instagram, it's a lot of lot of good stuff there all right. Coming up next week, let me take a look. We're gonna be talking about the Opal app, which is a way to surf social media less. And we've got a cybersecurity expert. Oh, it's gonna explain why turning off location services doesn't necessarily stop smartphone tracking. Five privacy settings you should change right now. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here.
Speaker 2: With me.
Speaker 1: One reminder before I go, please do not drive distracted. Those texts can wait. If I can do it, you can do it. And believe me, I'm bored in my car too sometimes and I leave the phone alone. Thanks everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo Kim, my name is rich Dmiro. I will talk to you real soon