Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the Short Stuff. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, sitting in for Dave, and this is stuff you should know Short Stuff.
Speaker 2: That's right, we're talking about tornadoes again on the show. We've talked plenty about tornadoes and Tornado Alley even but we're gonna talk more about it because probably since we did the last update on Tornado Alley, it seems like it might be changing.
Speaker 1: A bit, right, Yeah, definitely for sure, and just even classifying tornadoes. I'm sure we talked about the changeover because it would have happened before we talked about it, but it would have been really new. So yeah, there's a lot to dig into about Tornado Alley and tornadoes. One of the first things to understand is that Tornado Alley is a contested area of the United States of North America, but the United States in particular that runs essentially from Texas. Why are you laughing at me? Just runs?
Speaker 2: I love it to bear with this. When you dig yourself into a word hole then climb back out.
Speaker 1: Of it, well watch this, I'm climbing up. It starts in Texas, it goes all the way up to the Dakotas, but it also veers over, it bends and hits like Iowa, Indiana, Ohio. And this the reason this is considered tornado Alley is because it has the most tornadoes of anywhere else in the United States, which means that it has more tornadoes than anywhere else in the world. And the reason that is is because it has the perfect conditions for tornadoes to develop.
Speaker 2: All Right, So tornado producing conditions that you mentioned are they form through instability in the atmosphere. So a lot of moist, warm air beneath that cooler, dryer air, and then something called wind sheer. It's just when winds are changing with height, like the winds are changing and then they're changing at different height levels. And if you've got that, then you've got a pretty good recipe for a tornado. And it just so happens that those states that you mentioned have a lot of that kind of weather happening thanks to where they are.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, so warm moist air comes up from the Gulf of Mexico and cooler, dryer air comes from the west, like say the Rockies, and they converge in that area that's Tornado Alley. And when you've got those two factors, like you said, the wind shear and the instability, supercell thunderstorms can break out and that's what spawned tornadoes. And so anywhere you find that where there's instability and wind shear, a tornado can break out. And they do break out outside a tornado alley all the time, bad ones, yeah, for sure. And yeah, it's not even North America. There's a long standing myth that we probably talked about about whether there's tornadoes outside of North America, and there are, but it's just that there's so many more in North America. You can forgive people for thinking they're just a North American phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, And the other thing too, is in the areas that you described as tornado alley, at least a lot of them have these big, wide open planes, and that's just kind of become the common thing you think about is a tornado that you see way far off in the distance coming at you. And that's not always the case when they happen here in the American South, which you know, we'll get to the fact that that happens a lot more lately, there are a lot more trees, dense forests, it's not these big, wide open planes. So it's just not what you typically think of as tornado country, even though they will rip through Georgia or Alabama or Tennessee just as well as they can anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then we should also say that tornado alley is a fairly recent term. It was coined in nineteen fifty two by a pair of Air Force weathercasters, Major Ernest J. Faubush great name agreed, and Captain Robert C. Miller. And they I saw that their method of predicting tornadoes was like ninety five percent accurate or something insane likely whoa. But so the coin tornado alley at about the same time the records of tracking tornadoes begin, because in the United States, our records are tornado activity records only date back to the fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the nineteen fifties. In fact, it was I guess just before we started the podcast in two thousand and seven that they and I guess I remember talking about this being sort of a new thing at the time. Like you said, the Enhanced Fujiita Scale or the EF scale for rating a tornadoes intensity or their damage intensity. So that hasn't even been around that long. But you know how it generally worked was if you're going to count tornadoes, you're literally gonna do that. You're gonna have people calling in to the Weather Service. You're going to have just regular citizens. You're going to maybe people in the government or meteorologists weighing in, but people reporting tornadoes to the NWS is how they keep track of how many tornadoes they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just know that the citizens that report tornadoes, there's only ten of them, but they're probably responsible for like sixty percent of the tornado reports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're into it.
Speaker 1: I mean, good for them. So you don't just take those ten people's word for it. Like you mark where they're saying they saw a tornado, and then you send out train meteorologists to go check afterwards, see what kind of.
Speaker 3: Structure was there.
Speaker 1: Exactly put their hand on a railroad track and they look at the destruction and based on the level of destruction, they categorize it with that enhance Fujiita scale, and that ultimately what they're after is classifying it based on presumed or estimated wind speeds hence the destructiveness of the whole thing, and then they count it. And that's how they track tornadoes. And because it's only in only days back to the fifties, and it's still kind of a cluegye way of tracking tornadoes. We're not very good at looking at long term trends in tornado activity. We're not there yet, so we're kind of reading tea leaves as it were.
Speaker 2: All Right, uh now I want to go have some tea, So let's take a break. Okay, and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Okay, definitely should now dumb now large oils of Ryan.
Speaker 1: Sk Okay, chuck the lake. We said, you can have a tornado outside of Tornado Alley. Sorry, everybody. They just happened there with more frequency. There's also plenty of less powerful tornadoes too that happened in Tornado Alley. But they're also they seem to be also popping up in the southern southeastern US with much greater frequency and much more destructiveness than it seems like there used to be. And that's actually a point of contention. Not everybody agrees with that, but they're there's a thought that there's a school of thought that Tornado Alley's migrating east toward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're calling this new new Tornado Alley Dixie Alley. Some people are calling it that. Other people are saying like, no, that's not even a thing. And again, these are the ones that are going maybe through a forest or something, or in the case of Atlanta, that one year like in the city of Atlanta, which is very scary and weird. But there's not really a tornado season like you think of in traditional tornado alley. They can they can pop up whenever. I think it's more likely here in the South to have a tornado in late winter to early spring, and in the northern plains it's usually summertime. But all you need and these are what the meteorologists in tornado people try to hammer home. It's like, yeah, maybe there's a tornado season, you know, quote unquote season, but like it's an atmospheric condition and that can happen at any time in any place really as long as those conditions are.
Speaker 1: Met right exactly. So like you said, so people are just like, no, that's not actually a thing. It's not really moving. The reason that a lot of people say it's moving is because the climate change. It just makes sense right that as the earth warms, if you need warmer, humid air underneath colder air to create instability and wind cheer. Well, then is the earth warms, you're going to have more warmer humid air, and so yes, if so facto, tornadoes are going to be breaking out much worse than they were before, much greater frequency, and probably in places that you know, you might as well say tornado alleys expanded. Right, other people are like, not so fast, their buster, because yes, there probably will be warmer, more warm, humid air, but because the Earth's warming, that also means there will probably be less cooler, drier air. Right, So you'll have one of the ingredients, but you'll have less of the other ingredient, so you'll have less wind cheer, which means that. But I don't know, it might be a wash. And at the very least, we can't really predict at this point how climate change is going to affect tornadoes. So sit down, I think, guess what the other scientists are saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of hard to believe after all this time that this is as far along as we are with tornadoes, And I don't know, it just seems like something that you could almost predict it at a certain point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we've been tracking them for a while. This how stuff works article that we're basing this on mentions what probably the very first report by a European of a tornado in what would become the United States was by Governor John Winthrop, one of the Puritans. If you remember our Puritan episode, Oh yeah, yeah, I'm back in sixteen forty three. He recorded a powerful wind that whipped up dust, lifted his meeting house that's probably the big giveaway, and knock down a tree that fell on some poor schmo who was killed by it.
Speaker 3: Geez.
Speaker 2: So he said in his logbook tornadoes not so pure exactly or very pure, depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, now that you mentioned it, you probably saw them as God's wrath for sure. Do you have anything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should mention the movie Twisters, because that is a I guess, I don't know what they call him these days, but not a remake of the original Twister movie. But it has long been known that Emily, my wife, loves the movie Twister, the first one one of her guilty indulgences, because otherwise she just basically likes independent film and foreign film and Twister, and that's always sort of been the joke in the family. But she was very excited to watch Twisters. We rented it the other night here at the house. The three of us watched it, and Twisters gets three big old thumbs down from Oh that's a shame, just not very good unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a.
Speaker 1: Tough act to follow. I mean the first first one was pretty great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the cast alone, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Bill Paxton and Helen Han it was great. Carry ol wise, really just a top notch movie and holds up. So I say, don't waste your time with Twisters. Okay, And I hope no one that made that movie or was in that movie listens to the show because they're all great. Otherwise, good for.
Speaker 1: You, man. Chuck was very nice at the end there, So of course that means short stuff is out.
Speaker 2: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.