Speaker 1: Hi everyone, I'm Rachel So and you're listening to Climbing in Heels for your weekly dose of glamour, inspiration and fun. I woke up with a bad headache today that could be a result of my life.
Speaker 2: We had a beautiful dinner. Rachel gave us all a beautiful gift.
Speaker 3: Yes, her little.
Speaker 2: Tradition with us, and we all love it and it's so fun and it's like, really, I feel like the one. I mean, we do try to get together a couple times throughout the year, but the holiday dinner is always like the one that nobody misses, everyone comes to.
Speaker 3: And it was Lifers and it was Lifers.
Speaker 1: A few new Lifers like Madison, newest addition to.
Speaker 3: The Lifers I know, but such a good addition. I have the Lifer Crew. And you know, my thing is, I think the.
Speaker 1: Days of like the loud disco embarrassingly drunk one employee ends up falling on their face and hating themselves the next day.
Speaker 2: Guys, if we were like legally able to tell you some of the ship that has gone down at Rachel's o inc Christmas.
Speaker 1: Party, by the way, it was never me.
Speaker 3: Let's be very clear.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, no, it was never you. It was never ever you, It was never ever me. But there have been characters throughout the years that have.
Speaker 1: Yes embarrassed themselves. Yeah, fallen asleep at the party, woke up the next day.
Speaker 3: Well, I shouldn't say fallen asleep, blacked.
Speaker 2: Out, blacked out, or there was there was a broken shoe incident one year that I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: Pake out, there was a makeup.
Speaker 2: There was a there was a makeout with an audience.
Speaker 3: There was a makeout with an audience.
Speaker 2: So yes, we did our holiday dinner and it was very tame and responsible.
Speaker 3: And also like lovely maybe my favorite one. Yeah, it was perfect.
Speaker 1: It was my peopil, It was real, it was fun. I have the most loyal, dedicated team slash extended family that is by my side through all the crazy, all the crazy, and I will say this, the only way I know how to think them is with diamonds, and this year it was with ring Concierge diamond and quite literally a ring, a diamond wrap ring.
Speaker 3: It's out pretty and it's gorgeous. I have mine on right now. It's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I actually have my other ring that Rachel gave me also and Rachel and I always laugh because it has three little stones in it, so we always pretend to We're like doing a jewelry ad and it's our past, present and future is No.
Speaker 3: It was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are all so, so so lucky that Rachel loves to give gift diamonds. When she says that she likes to give jewelry.
Speaker 3: She's not lying. I'm not lying. She definitely backs that up.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how are you feeling in the midst of We're halfway through December. You have an invitation to go out every night, sometimes two invitations in one night.
Speaker 3: You're halfway through? How you doing? How you holding up?
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because they say it's so. I hesitate to sound in any way that I'm complaining because I know how blessed I am, and I know how beautiful all these events are, and I don't ever take that for granted. But sometimes, you know, because I am a person that really prides myself on showing up, yep, it's sometimes, you know, you just kind of want to stay home in a bathrobe and yeah, do nothing, And so I think, I think, but I do love celebrating everyone, and I do love a fun night and being with people I adore and I never regret it, and I always come home with a big smile on my face, and I always What I do find is, especially this year, pushing myself to go has really served me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wake up with a smile on my face instead of being stuck in where I was emotionally the night before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's smart, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I recommend that for people if they're sort of contemplating the like should I should not? I'm too tired, I don't feel like getting dressed up. I think the thing you need to ask yourself is are the people that you're going to be with? People that you want to spend your time with in, people that make you feel better and don't feel like an obligation, and people that you're excited about. And I think that that will serve you and make you feel full.
Speaker 3: It's so true, you know, it's so true.
Speaker 2: I think, Well, you you just you're very lucky to have a wonderful group of girlfriends that a lot of these invites for a lot of these holiday things are through your personal.
Speaker 3: Get friends and friendships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I heard Reese Witherspoon say on a podcast once that like, there you know, friendship is a system of deposits and withdrawal, and yes, that the end of the year is a good time to reflect back and take a look at like what you feel like, Ye, your checking account for friendship is like who's withdrawing a lot.
Speaker 3: Without depositing and vice versa.
Speaker 2: And that analogy just always works for me because it makes it very simple to see like who's matching.
Speaker 3: Your energy and who's showing up for you and vice versa. I would agree with that, Yes, I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: And I think that Reese, I find myself sort of like you know, you get served different things on Instagram, like based on what you're thinking or saying. I find that I get served Reese things very often and Oprah things very often. And I'm like, yes, yes, exactly, I agree. And I think my favorite quote from Reese was like the sooner you learn to give zero fox, the happier you will be yep, And.
Speaker 2: She's yes, that I do think is a blessing of getting older.
Speaker 1: Like I agree with that because I wouldn't know, because not getting older.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't know because you're actually Benjamin Button over here. But I do think that is just That's one of the luxuries of experience in life is that you can give less fucks and.
Speaker 3: And really mean it.
Speaker 2: You know, I can say I don't and then I'm secretly like, oh, but I really.
Speaker 3: Care what they think about me. I think it's not true to do so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're only human. Okay, you started to say this, but your is this true? You're hosting a group of eleven year olds? Hi, I am on top of your schedule?
Speaker 3: I am, I am.
Speaker 1: I've opted to host fifteen eleven year old boy oh my at my house on Friday.
Speaker 3: Okay, that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: We're going to celebrate Kayus's birthday. That's that's the that's the party, right.
Speaker 1: I would like everyone to know that in his now eleven year life, I'm going to say six of the eleven years, the party has been postponed due to weather or illness.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I enter the part kind of knowing in my mind there is in ninety percent chance this is being moved till after the New year.
Speaker 3: There's a backup date. Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that. I feel like two or three years in a row. Porcius woke up with like a fever on a birthday party. And that was like and that was even like before COVID times. You are still super hyper.
Speaker 3: No, it's I mean we're in six season. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, knockwood knock would knock everything. Everything's going to be fine, knock at all. It's going to be fab. This episode is brought to you by eBay. Whatever you love, find it on eBay. eBay Things people love. I don't know about you, but the holidays are here in My calendar is full of events. Yes, I'm on the go a lot, but it seems like December is always NonStop. And if you ask anyone around me, they will tell you that I typically have zero clue what I'm wearing until I'm physically walking out the door.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm a stylist that waits till the last possible minute to style herself.
Speaker 3: True story.
Speaker 1: Whether you're looking for a sparkly dress, the jumpsuit, or a sleek blazer, eBay is the answer. It's literally so easy to search and shop for the most amazing pieces that are hard to find. I genuinely don't believe in purchasing something you know you are only going to wear once in your life. I always told my styling clients and friends that it is way better to invest in a piece that you will get usage out of. Honestly, the ultimate girl mouth is calculating costs per wear.
Speaker 3: But I could do an entire podcast episode about that.
Speaker 1: So shop smart this season on eBay and find the luxury gems that will take you through the holidays and beyond. My advice is stick to more neutral colorways. You can add color with accessories, and look for classic silhouettes that you can dress up for holiday parties and then dress down for the rest of the year. I always love the idea of an embellished suit that can be worn together for a more polished look or style. Disk separates in a cool and effortless way. Explore eBay's incredible selection of designer fashion and luxury accessories, and don't be like me, pick your outfit before you are running.
Speaker 3: Out the door. We've all got a thing and it's on eBay.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's scoring all the vintage fines, building an entire wall of sneakers, or hunting down a deal on that designer bag. So go find the thing, like that holiday dress you've been eyeing. Whatever you love, find it on eBay eBay things people love.
Speaker 2: Okay, today, I thought we would bring people some fashion news that they need to know. Okay, So I want to kick things off with arguably your maybe most favorite fashion designer of all time, which is John Galliano.
Speaker 3: Yes he is.
Speaker 1: He is in my top five, he's in your top five, and he likely top three, but yes, let's just say top five arguments safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think he's like top three for sure. But he is leaving Mason Marcella.
Speaker 3: After ten years, after a decade.
Speaker 1: And for anyone who doesn't know, because I do recognize that fashion is still inside baseball. He was the mastermind, genius behind Christian Do you're for? I don't know how long he was at dor a lot in the late nineties until ten years ago, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he moved over to Massa Margella, and now he is leaving. They have not named the predecessor.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine, because this is where fashion plays the game.
Speaker 3: Yep, who's landing?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: Yet there? Who's landing? It's like the Tetris game.
Speaker 1: But it's a very it's a very specific brand, yeah, Jella, And it's not it's not something where you say, oh, who is a designer that just makes beautiful gowns or you know, seventies glamor or it's not that, it's it's a very unique, distinct, eccentric, very unpredictable brand.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marcialla, perfect way to destroy it. Okay, So if you're John Galliano, what would what do you do next?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What do you do next? Take a long vacation.
Speaker 2: But those those those got those designers never retire, They don't stop.
Speaker 3: You're you're correct about that. Carl Lagerfeld worked till he passed. Life's the thing.
Speaker 1: There are a very very small, finite group a brilliant masterminds of fashion, and we've lost some of them. Yes, but I would say there is a vast difference between a brilliant designer creative director then a brilliant literal Uh, it's beyond an artist. It's like the it's like the Michelangelo, you know, it's like it's like the prolific, almost surreal mindset, like a psychology of a certain type of mind, like Carlagerfeld and like John Galliano. These people sketch in their sleeps. In their sleep they literally wake up in the middle of the night and sketch like ten things.
Speaker 3: Throw it on the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe it gets made, maybe it doesn't, maybe a dog eats it.
Speaker 3: Who the frick knows, But they have to get it out.
Speaker 1: And so I think those minds have to always be celebrated, and I think they're hard to replace. So you have to know you're never going to get the same thing. You're never going to There's no there is no like minded John Galliano.
Speaker 3: I'm here to say that, right, Yeah, there's no.
Speaker 2: There's no like protege like no, but like specific.
Speaker 1: That's not to say that there isn't another one being grown out of Central Saint Martin's or f I T Or Parson or you know, anywhere. It doesn't mean it won't exist, they won't exist. It just means there. It's not often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a rare ty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure he, like you said, he will work and sketch until he is no longer with us.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. I don't I don't know what's gonna happen to him. I don't know. Oh my god, he's probably going to Chanel.
Speaker 3: Did that just click in your brain? Do you think I don't know, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Would it be a good fit in your opinion, it would make Chanelle definitely more out of the box.
Speaker 3: Grittier. Yeah, yeah, a little darker, perhaps more dramatic. Perhaps my brain is so swarling, I know.
Speaker 1: It just seems kind of wild that John Galliano would be leaving Martiella.
Speaker 2: Well, Chanelle is away conveniently looking Wow, stay tuned. Have to do another fashion news you need to know update. Okay, this morning WWD and Beauty Inc Awards were held and our buddy friend of the podcast, Bobby Brown, won the Pete Bourne Impact Award.
Speaker 3: Which is so cool.
Speaker 2: You actually just I feel like this was like a day ago, or maybe yesterday. You received some Jones Road products. I saw Jones Road's amazing, is amazing. I mean, Bobby Brown's a force.
Speaker 1: I mean and truthfully, you know, I'm so impressed with her because she built her own brand, sold her brand, built a new brand.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's done like twice in a major way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also like I'm here to tell you that building any brand is impossible. I don't want to say impossible, but always challenging.
Speaker 3: Not easy.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, So Bobby Brown was given an award, and also there was a special.
Speaker 3: Newcomer award this year for Blake Lively. She's on fire for Blake Brown Beauty, which is.
Speaker 2: Right now hair products. But yeah, she was there to accept her Newcomer Award in the beauty space.
Speaker 3: She's a force, Blake Lively.
Speaker 2: She is.
Speaker 3: She went and popped out four kids.
Speaker 1: Yep, seemingly overnight, although clearly I'm sure if you asked her, it was definitely not overnight. She's strikingly beautiful.
Speaker 3: She has a beverage company.
Speaker 1: She has a beverage and Betty Buzz that's correct and now beauty And now you know, I think the thing with Blake. You know, listen, I am such.
Speaker 3: An advocate and I will.
Speaker 1: I am here to say now that my next podcast is going to be about the independence of women and how to create it and how I demand it, how I insist on it, and how it will ultimately save you in every aspect of your life. Yes, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Blake because I think many people probably lifted her as crushing it as Serena Vanderwoods in for whatever it was eight years of that show gossip Girl, that little show, and I think people were like, Oh, that'll be the end of her. She's just this beautiful whatever, and she went on to do major roles, still doing major roles, marrying and seemingly both incredibly in love and have a very powerful marriage. They are absolutely in love with each other and.
Speaker 3: Like America's sweetheart yes plural yes, and have born four kids.
Speaker 2: Insane and I mean she's so smart, because who doesn't want Blake Lively's hair.
Speaker 3: I do, It's gorgeous. I would like, I hear.
Speaker 1: But I'd also like Blake Lively's anything. I take the height, I take the hair, I'd take the bone structure. I'm here for it. I'd take three of her girls because I think has.
Speaker 3: Three she does. I think she has one boy, right, Yeah, baby's a boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah's so sweet.
Speaker 2: So love that up for Blake, and I'm dying to try for products like I feel like Blake doing hair is sure makes as much sense as Jennifer Anna.
Speaker 3: I've been doing hair because Joan Anistan with hair. Yeah. I mean, these women have the best heads in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Okay, Rachel, you sent me this story last night, and I think it's very interesting because I would love for you to share with our listeners a little bit more about sort of the CEOs behind this. Yeah, but Skims, you've heard of that? If you've heard of that, Yes, Kim Kardashian brand, Skims is opening a flagship store in New York on Fifth Avenue, which is if you're going to open retail, that's just sort of the holy dream, the mecca of American brick and mortar, So the dream.
Speaker 3: She did an article in WWD with.
Speaker 2: Yen's and I'll let you share about Yen's and his genius and his wife and talk about another fashion power couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think there's a power couple that exist that I'm aware of in the fashion industry. Maybe Bernard or Noau. Yeah, I don't know, but I would say that.
Speaker 3: The there is a.
Speaker 1: Husband and wife duo that I have been lucky enough to call friends actually before they became the powerhouse duo they are. And I've watched them build their careers simultaneously, I'm sorry, independently and together, launching their own brands separate and then and then coming together. I met Yen's as the co founder of Framed Denim, which is a very successful denim and contemporary brand, genius Marketers, absolutely genius marketers, uh Yen's and his partner then Eric Torstensen, who still is running Frame, and then Yen's and Emma moved to the States from the UK, married two kids, now have four and literally Emma created Good American along with Chloe Kardashian to unbelievable success, unbelievable success, and YenS then founded Skims with Kim and Chris and the whole thing. And Emma also has the Safely brand with Chris, which is household cleaners, non toxic cleaners, and the list goes on. They have their hands in many things their public in terms of they speak, they mentor. Emma's been on Shark Tank multiple times. YenS is, I'm going to say the Silent Powerhouse only because I feel like, well, Kim brings him and shows him and does photoshoots with him and whatever. You know, I think when you're sitting next to Kim, it's hard for you know, I think it's yeah, and also YenS is not there to get the attention. But no, ye know, I would say the attention needs to go there, some of it.
Speaker 2: And Kim's I mean, I'm sure our listeners have seen it and are aware. But their marketing campaigns are also.
Speaker 1: Just genius genius, And they have just launched, literally yesterday, a collaboration with the north Face, which you know, I'm a skier and you know you don't have to be a skier to love north Face. You can be in anything person who's cold, But in ski life it's a big it's a big, big thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But it was funny because I just hop into, like click on it to just you know, just be like, hey, I wonder if they have my size or I just want to see how much it is or whatever. I mean, sold out in twenty seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like out but like an hour. Yeah not even I don't even think it makes it an hour, probably not, probably not.
Speaker 1: And in fact, I think their slogan is when they post a collab or like a launch or drop, they just go.
Speaker 3: Join the waitlist.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's not like get yours, it's joined the books. Yeah, get in line late, how to succeed in business?
Speaker 3: Join the weight list. I love that. How do you know when you're winning?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the new name of your new new podcast book and.
Speaker 3: Join the weightlist.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, Skims continuing to do big things. I can't wait to go to the Flagship store in New York.
Speaker 3: How cool? How amazing.
Speaker 2: Also this week big Hollywood news, the Golden Globe nominations came out. Oh my god, and there are some very familiar names on the list.
Speaker 1: This is both fimbing and heels. Yes, Sarah and Aaron Foster and the show No Want Producers, creators and producers and writer yes of nobody wants this and.
Speaker 3: The massive Netflix hit.
Speaker 2: I'm sure if you're listening to this, you probably listened to Aaron and Sarah and watched that show. Because it's amazing. It was the return of the rom calm.
Speaker 1: It really and I think that it could not have come at a better time. Yes, I don't think any of us needed a rom com more than right now.
Speaker 3: I know I didn't.
Speaker 2: There was such an appetite for it. There they're already like hard at work back in the writer's room for season two. But yes, so the show got recognized for Best Comedy for a Golden Globe, and then Kristen Bell and Adam Brody were nominated for their performances in the show. So this brings me to a question for you. Yes, okay, Sarah and Aaron. If you're listening to this right now, No you're not. If Sarah and Aaron were to let's say, I don't know, need help getting dressed.
Speaker 3: I don't know. We'll call it styling. I don't know for something like that. Would you of course? Would you? Okay, of course, all right, you heard it here.
Speaker 1: I don't shut down my friends, but they don't need it. They can custom make favorite Daughter friend.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they could.
Speaker 2: But let's just say that they want a little Rachel so Red carpet match. Sure it's gonna be Rachel's returned to the Globe's carpet.
Speaker 1: You know, I show up for my friends, but yeah, I think, listen, they really deserve this. And I've kind of been here to see, you know, Aarin kind of you know, just watch these girls kind of create this show and the stream.
Speaker 3: And it's not easy.
Speaker 1: You know, it took a long time, and I think to just see it gets so recognized in such a controversial topic. By the way, I think part of the genius that can't go under like unrecognized and appreciated is that it is a controversial topic for many people. And I think the fact that she was able to make it light enough and funny enough that everyone loved it.
Speaker 3: Sure, that is so hard. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Will say that Kristen Fell playing Aaron is one of the greatest things ever.
Speaker 3: Sure. Yeah. And one may argue she wasn't playing Aaron, but she was totally playing it, right.
Speaker 2: A version of a version of Aaron, an alternate universe and version your.
Speaker 3: En Foster is not easy.
Speaker 1: I'm here to say no, she's a very complex individual.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, all good.
Speaker 1: Things, and she's one of the funniest people I know. But I think that's why it's so hard. Yeah, you know, comedy is hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of a lot of other a lot of other names you know and love were also nominated.
Speaker 3: Demi Moore yep, Naomi wa yep. I know. I'm so excited about that. So yeah, the Golden Globes is going to be fun to watch this year. Was Nicole Kidman nomination? She was right? I mean, like she's always nominated.
Speaker 1: She I mean she doesn't stop working dresses. Do you think Nicole Kidman has worn in her career?
Speaker 3: That's a really good question.
Speaker 1: I think I should take a poll for like carpet all for our listeners. Yeah, how many red carpet looks do you think Nicole Kidman has worn in her career?
Speaker 2: God, you would have to figure out some sort of monthly mass of how many is she doing a month?
Speaker 3: Right, we have to think about it. And I mean she's decades long successful now, she.
Speaker 1: Gets nominated every time she opens her mouth. Sure, fair, and she should on a screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, because she's like one of the greatest living out of all time in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think in anyone's opinion.
Speaker 2: Moving to our next story, talking about somebody who is nominated for everything and and wins a lot of awards and is at the tippy tippy tippy tippy top of her career.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift, Oh my god, closed the Aras tour. I mean this week after two years. I feel like this is a pop culture episode. It is okay, so.
Speaker 2: But some factoids for you. The Aras tour spanned over two years long. They're the total.
Speaker 3: Three and a half hours on stage every night.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was like I think the show typically went three hours, fifteen minutes, twenty minutes something like that, between forty four and forty eight songs every night.
Speaker 3: Or every show.
Speaker 2: Do you know how sick that is ticket sales grossed over two billion dollars, and just ticket revenue.
Speaker 3: That's mental. That's not much.
Speaker 2: That's anything else that's mental. And this was my favorite fashion tie in. She wore over two hundred and fifty custom pairs of Christian Lubaton shoes during the span of the aras tour.
Speaker 3: Insane.
Speaker 1: You know, here's what I want to say about Taylor Swift. Okay, because this is interesting and you know this already, Mary, I I'm embarrassingly late to the t Swift thing, right.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people are.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I think if you're a grown up, which I consider myself to be most of the time, I think, and I don't want to say this, but because I don't have girls that are Swifties, or or a son that's obsessed with Taylor Swift, or any child in my household that is like a soul obsessed with the music or right, So it's not like I have it going in my house all day, right, correct, So in all fairness, I am a late Swiftie.
Speaker 3: Okay, now that's valid.
Speaker 1: I have been fortunate enough to have met her several times. She is one of the kindest, incredibly tall people but she was also one of the very first supporters of my collection, and yep she was. Joseph Cassell, her stylist, pulled the Rachel Zoe collection, and I very clearly remember Taylor wearing my jumpsuit, my romper. I think the tuxedo mini dress, I think that Jalo wore early on. But what I want to say is I am obsessed with her. And I want to say that because it's not even it's so above and beyond the music, because I think her music's undoubtedly, unquestionably amazing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I think originally I had thought, Okay, if I was fourteen or younger, then I know every word or whatever.
Speaker 3: The reality of it is.
Speaker 1: She is by far and away the greatest role model, in my opinion, in pop culture for girls of.
Speaker 3: Any age, for women.
Speaker 1: She is one of the hardest working people I've ever seen. She's one of the kindest, most gracious kind.
Speaker 2: And she gave out over one hundred million dollars in bonuses, Oh yeah, cash to the crew.
Speaker 3: Yeah I saw that.
Speaker 1: And she continuously makes me happy, meaning in her decision making, in how she uses her voice, in how she speaks for girls and women, in how she writes her music and how true she is to herself, to owning mistakes, to trying to teach people to learn from what she's done, for better or for worse. I just have tremendous respect for her, so like taking the music out of it, and yes, I love that, but I love her. Yes, I think she's fantastic, and I think that she has come into her own as giving zero fox and even if she does give fucks, she is so on top of the world that she should give no fucks. Yeah, you know what I mean, live her life on her tour.
Speaker 3: I'm excited for her to take a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know she needs a long ass vacation, but she's not the type to do it.
Speaker 3: She'll take a week.
Speaker 2: No, Well, she still has more re recorded albums to drop, so of course she does. She's never done like that John Galliano type, right, And.
Speaker 3: That's my point.
Speaker 1: She's prolific in music the same way these people are in fashion or in anything else, you know, medical, you know doctors and researchers who just keep.
Speaker 3: Cranking out more and more and more and more. That like, there is a thirst for what she does.
Speaker 1: There's a passion that clearly polarizes her whole being, you know, and that's through writing and everything else. And I think she uses her music as therapy. And I think I think she genuinely just lives and dies for what she does. And I think the impact that she's had when you look at these girls crying, and you look at these girls, you know, dressed as her and boys, honestly, it's really she's incredibly impressive. Yes, I was also very late to the Harry Styles thing too, Yeah you were.
Speaker 3: I was. I was sure I needed to do I was I needed to start you with Harry earlier. Yeah, I'm bound you for that. I know. Well, we love you, Harry.
Speaker 1: Now I'm sifty, now I'm a swiftie and and obsessed with Harry Styles.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about another icon legend in music and in fashion and in pop culture that does not stop working, iconic Dolly Parton. Dolly Parton just went on a podcast and said, so a fun fact about Dolly, I am sort of like obsessed with her being a starton girl. She's been married for nearly sixty years. She has a husband named Carl Dean that literally nobody sees like he's not in the public.
Speaker 3: I literally didn't know a husband exactly. Most people do not know she's married.
Speaker 2: So in this podcast interview, she said that she seemed like the tape that would be married.
Speaker 3: She's so dedicated to her music being Dolly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is got so dedicated to Dolly that yeah, well she does talk about that's, you know, a decision why she decided not to have children. It's because she was like, I didn't I didn't know how to do both. But anyways, so she did an interview and said that she talked her husband Carl into going to this red carpet event with her, and he had such a terrible time and was so uncomfortable and just doesn't like the attention, doesn't like being in the business like that. That he has not attended an event with her since nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 3: That's the sickest thing ever.
Speaker 2: So Dolly since nineteen sixty seven has done every carpet oh alone. But you know, every award show, every Grammy, every everything. Good for her and good for him, right because parly it works. Good for him to know he doesn't like it and is confident in that decision, and good for her to accept that from him and respect that boundary. Respect that boundary. I would be maybe, Dolly, I'll see you when I get home.
Speaker 3: I would be a nightmare. I'd be like, why woul't you? I would ruin lives.
Speaker 1: You have a look at me. Yeah, maybe there's something to it. Yeah, No, I mean separate church and state.
Speaker 3: But I think so like that.
Speaker 2: I think the point she was driving home was it works for us, and clearly it's that that separation.
Speaker 3: I think she's even quoted as saying we're not in each other's faces.
Speaker 2: All the time, and I think it's a good thing. I think that's a really knowledgeable take away. A lot of.
Speaker 1: People like that in the industry, where you know, relationships are that's a whole nother podcast. Yeah, I would say relationships are such that I think you have to the ones that last the longest, I think are the ones where the the partners respect each other's wishes and boundaries of how they are happiest and most comfortable. Yeah, because I think the minute you try to pull them over to a place they're not, there's just going to be consequences of that. Yeah, And it may not be immediate, it may be Yeah, that's a good point. You know, so I get it. I think I think Dolly's onto something.
Speaker 2: I think she's very much onto something. She's i mean, iconic, and I love her. I just love that she gave the advice of we're not in each other's faces, We're to still look by Okay. Our final story is I know that you have seen, because how can you get away from it? That Wicked has done the most massive of press tours, Oh my god, with Ariana Grund and Cynthia Rivo and they, I mean they were starting this bubble of marketing back at like the met Galo and they went.
Speaker 1: Literally so and I'm so slow with these things because I'm not like a theater.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're not a theater nerd. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I was raised as one, yes, because my parents are such theater nerds.
Speaker 2: And and by the way, didn't you low key grow up with Adina Menzel?
Speaker 3: I did, Okay, I did well.
Speaker 1: I met her in my freshman year of college because my best friend that went to n YU was her best friend and roommate, I think, so we became close and we the.
Speaker 2: Iconic and I founded the role of Alphaba on Broadway.
Speaker 1: Literally, and you know, we used to go see a Dina perform at like what is it called, like the Red Bull in like all these like West Village, Greenwich Village, like dive bars. And I remember like sitting there at like one am while she was singing at the top for lungs, like the most beautiful voice you ever heard, and we would all look at each other.
Speaker 3: Like why isn't she on Broadway? Why isn't she winning Tony's?
Speaker 2: And then I'm sure she got Rent and like that's exactly, and we all went to see the very first night of Rent, Wow.
Speaker 1: With tid digs and the whole thing and oh my god, I can't remember one's name. Had him Pascal, I want to say, maybe? And Rent was beyond and then you know, and then and then they were all born into into it and you know, and then Wicked and the whole thing, and then came Wicked and Frozen and the thing.
Speaker 3: And now this pressed for that's just massive.
Speaker 2: And what I wanted you to talk about because I'm curious your take on it is. I feel like the women so Ariana and Cynthia.
Speaker 3: Dosion and not look like a doll to you. Yeah she does. She's like a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Little she looks like this little porcelain doll. To me, she almost doesn't seem real.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's why she's the perfect Linda, because it's the same as when you see kristin Chenowi. They look like the little daughter and then they sing and you're like, holy, where does that come from?
Speaker 3: Grandi's voice is not human.
Speaker 2: It's it's so beautiful, and she does such a great job as Glinda, and so.
Speaker 3: You cannot wait to see it. It's so good, you're gonna love it.
Speaker 2: But what I noticed from the carpet was which I feel like is a new a newer take on what stylists or publicists or the powers that be that are marketing these films are doing, which is they're having the leads dress in a reflective or direct way as the character. And it started with Barbie and Margo, in my opinion, that's where it sort of first started. And there's this massive trend. So like you've seen Cynthia Rivo in like basically all green gowns. You see Arianna in all pink and sort of fairy like ethereal looks.
Speaker 1: Don't forget Deadpool and Wolverine, and don't forget Dune right, don't forget the thematic like Zendaya coming out in that like crazy outfit for a movie like Robots, Yes, and then and then Blake Lively again like coming out in the Wolf Uh was it the Wolverine?
Speaker 3: Cont Yeah, it was it was the her and she was gad they both She was dressed as Deadpool and was dressed as well.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm trying to remember that moment, but I just remember. I was like, huh, but.
Speaker 3: Listen, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's hard because I think it's it's a little bit. I can take it back to even like Austin Butler kind of coming out as Elvis with the voice, Oh yeah, with the voice and and kind of dressing and the press, the press so gnar about that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I know. But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think that with these actors, they are so deeply talented, and I think they have to become these characters for so long when they're filming kid, because we all see the finished product, right, They've been working on this for years. Oh, they have to be these people for what fourteen hours a day for years sometimes literally that I think they actually get confused of who they are in their identities, and I do think that that happens, and I think even Austin Butler came out and actually said that, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I think that's had Shake and Elvis literally.
Speaker 1: But what I would say to that is I'm conflicted because I do like a nod to a theme. Sure, I do. I like a nod to a theme. I don't know that I love a literal a literal interpretation. So I don't want to take down anyone styling because I think it's all been quite historic and amazing like that it's working, its films are crushing Box Off Horrize, so but I think I like subtle nods typically more so I think in the Barbie sense, Like, because I'm such a Marco Robbie fan, it was hard for me to not to say, like, I don't love that. But I also was sort of like, can't we do a nod and not a literal, you know.
Speaker 3: Replicate in a way.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I think it's sort of like the art continues, so it's like, yeah, I can really make a case for both. But I think in the case of Cynthia and Ariana, I think in the marketing of it all it clearly is working. I think it's still so nice because they clearly believe so much in their characters. And I think, look, the press Stoor is gonna end, It's all gonna end, and then they'll flip into their next characters.
Speaker 2: Well then, I mean there's Wicked Part two that they have coore so it's like, you know, it's never ending. But I was just was curious if what your thought was, because there is this it's a very apparent trend. Yes, giving the fans what they want, giving the people what they want, and paying less attention to Yeah, maybe even the individual actor or performers own you know, expression of whatever they seem fully game and wanting to.
Speaker 3: And I lean into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I do wonder, like I do wonder how much of it is orchestrated by the studios with them versus how much is created by the stylists along with them. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, those are the fashion news stories that you need to know. And I want to ask you one more question because I won't have an opportunity to do it, I don't think because we've got some great guests coming.
Speaker 3: Who is your best dressed cleb with the year, Oh my God, who is my and the year is not over? Dub, But.
Speaker 2: Who is right now? Or who are some of I'll say that so you don't have.
Speaker 3: To, I mean listen. Most definitely Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 1: Yes, because she really she very rarely gets it wrong for me. She very rarely gets it wrong for me. And there's something about how she carries herself in clothes, meaning she has this way that she moves her body like a swan, and she has the longest neck and the whole thing and the way that she's able to hold something. It could be the simplest like Valenciaga gown. There was this look that she wore to the Academy gala that I loved so much, yep. And it was like the gloves and the thing, and it was like a remake of this Valenciaga dress. And you know, I love someone who can flip a switch and do a black velvet dress, but also do like the crazier moment, right, But I do love someone who can wear it, you know. So I think Nicole, from the day she hit her very first red carpet, has always gotten it right.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I love it. I love that look so much.
Speaker 1: Who else you know, I think, I think, I think Carrie Washington. Yes, I have to say in my mind that I'm thinking of I don't think she's ever missed this year, like I actually think I was absolutely obsessed with everything that she's worn. And the thing with Carrie, what I've also loved is the hair and the makeup, with every look she's done, this real chameleon thing, which I love.
Speaker 3: I absolutely love your favorite newcomer. I think.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm a huge fan of Phoebe Denniver, Yes, from Bridgerton.
Speaker 3: If you're not familiar with her, she is, like.
Speaker 1: You know, Here's the thing. What I love about her is she actually goes above and beyond to keep every look true to her. She wears very little makeup's so she keeps everything so simple and subtle and elegant. Yes, and much more of an Audrey right like, much more of a elegant.
Speaker 3: Minimal dove swan like person.
Speaker 1: She reads very Ballerina vibe to me, and she's so talented, but I love how minimal.
Speaker 3: She is and ethereal.
Speaker 1: And yet if she's wearing Louis Vuitton, which she does most often, she really makes it her own. She really her clothes never overpower her and I love that about her.
Speaker 3: Definitely one to.
Speaker 1: Watch, Yes, And I have to say, j Lo, I have to say, And I know that she's j Lo, and I know we've seen her for one hundred years, but honestly, I have to give props to someone who seemingly ages backwards and just always looks healthy, strong.
Speaker 3: Dewey, dewey Chloe.
Speaker 1: I always say she was airbrush by God, but honestly, she can wear the dress that looks basically naked into a.
Speaker 3: Full Chloe moment with like a.
Speaker 1: Train as long as the hallway, like it's it's she really is a chameleon and wear things to shut it down all the time and and and flops like.
Speaker 3: Meaning like goes from one extreme.
Speaker 1: On a Monday to the opposite extreme on a Tuesday. And I know her stylist, Robin Maryelle, and you know they're doing such a good job, such a good job, and and you know, listen, it's collaborative. But I think at the end of the day, I mean crushing it, truthfully, crush it really is, you know.
Speaker 2: Really stunning. Can't wait to see what she does in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, Thank you so much for listening to Climbing in Heels today. If you haven't already, please subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, the iHeart app, or wherever you get your podcasts. You don't miss a single episode this season, and be sure to follow me on Instagram at at rachel Zo and the show on at Climbing in Heals pod for the latest episodes and updates.
Speaker 3: I will talk to you very soon.