Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephanie Flanders, head of Government and Economics at Bloomberg, and this is Trumponomics, the podcast that looks at the economic world of Donald Trump, how he's shaking the global economy, what on earth is going to happen next? And this week we're asking why is big business quite so unpopular in Donald Trump's America? What does it tell us about not just the state of the nation, but potentially the long term strength of the world's largest economy. Well, we've spoken a lot about AI on this show, and there has been some discussion here and elsewhere about in November are seeing potentially the first elections in the US that are substantially affected by voter views on AI. Probably heard already, Commencement speakers around the US have been getting booed on US campuses when they mentioned AI, and that's probably because young people in the audience are worried about their future jobs. But it's not just the tech it's also the big businesses associated with AI that are increasingly making people angry. And we saw that last summer to an extraordinary degree when the United Healthcare chief executive was gunned down and yet the assassin amazingly was getting lionized and applauded online for what he'd done. I was looking at this. There was a gallop pole around that time last summer, and only fifteen percent of Americans said they had a great deal or quite a lot of confidence in big business. That's way below the seventy percent that you still hear saying they have confidence in small businesses. And that fifteen percent is the lowest level of confidence on record. It was fifty eight percent only in twenty twelve. So it's striking to see this kind of unpopularity for big business in a country that has historically prided itself on its pro business outlook as the home of entrepreneurship, and it's always contrasted itself with that stereotype of Europe as a country that smothers its entrepreneurs with regulations and red tape. But can the US still claim to be the global capital of entrepreneurship in an environment where large parts of the economy are in the hands of a handful of mega corporations. Profit margins we see rising close to record highs, if not above previous highs, and the competitive pressure in large chunks of the economy just doesn't seem to be what it used to be. While Bloomberg's Global Business columnist Adrian Wooldridge does think the entrepreneurial spirit is not alive and well in the US, or at least large parts of it, and that is a problem not just for social cohesion but potentially the long term success of the economy. Adrian is a former writer with The Economist, author of multiple books, including his latest excellent tone Centrists of the World Unite, The Lost Genius of Liberalism. He also recently published an essay that caught my eye entitled How America's Age of entrepreneurs Went Awry? Adrian, thanks very much for joining.
Speaker 1: Us, Thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 2: We'll get into the how on this issue in a minute. But the fact that entrepreneurship in the US had somehow gone awry what crystallized that for you?
Speaker 1: It crystallized in my mind because I was puzzling about exactly the same question that you were, which is, why is business so unpopular? Why in the land of the entrepreneur, the land that worships business more than any other country in the world. Why businessmen suddenly become demons? Why are so many people saying billionaires are a problem to be solved rather than something to be celebrated. Why, as you said, absolutely horrifically, did so many people on the internet celebrate the assassination of a poor businessman with a family walking through the streets of New York. I mean, it was an astonishing reaction. And I think the answer to the question of why business and businessmen are no longer as popular as they are is a very interesting and intriguing one.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, so, it's just this is a very unequal economy and the amounts of wealth are so great that that's not very popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that you could say that there's a massive degree of inequality. People have made a huge amount of money and other people are envious of them. But people have always done that in America. That's the nature of the American system. And when Bill Gates and Steve Jobs made their piles of money, there was a lot of celebration of that sort of thing. You could say that it's all a result of the financial crisis and people being very angry about the financial crisis, but that was a problem that reflected more upon Wall Street than Main Street. I think there is something much deeper going on, and I think that that is all to do with the entrepreneurial spirit. Americans like entrepreneurs, they like entrepreneurship, they like risk taking, and what they're seeing at the heights of the corporate world is something different from entrepreneurs. We've had an anti entrepreneurial revolution, as it were.
Speaker 3: And when you think of the sort of gallery of entrepreneurs or certainly capitalists that were sitting either beside or behind Donald Trump when he was inaugurated, many of those from the tech world had transformed their industries, whether it's Meta or Alphabet or these other companies. Why do we not think of them as entrepreneurs in the same way.
Speaker 1: Because they're rebranding themselves as something different from entrepreneurs, and because they are the quite often the inheritors of big companies rather than the creators of big companies. And even if they are the big creators big companies, they're acting in a way that's rather different from the way that certainly Bill Gates acted in the nineteen eighties. In the nineteen eighties, you had two sort of entrepreneurial classes of people. You had people who created big businesses from nothing and people like that, and you had people who came into big giant corporations and made them more entrepreneurial. They made them act as if they were startups or at least companies that were running on the fumes of entrepreneurialism. So you had companies like g splitting themselves up into smaller units, and great managers such as Jack Welsh as who was perceived to be a great manager, then testing people according to their ability to run their parts of the company according to entrepreneurial principles. So you had the entrepreneurial spirit pervading big business, and you had, indeed people creating, as Bill Gates did, companies from absolutely nothing. Now you have something different. You have two things going on. I think one of those things is that you have the rise of a new class of oligarchs. Then they're rightly known not as entrepreneurs but as oligarchs. And secondly, you have old style managers who are running their companies much more in a way that's reminiscent of the nineteen seventies than of the you know, the nineteen eighties, people.
Speaker 3: Like Jack Welsh and I guess it is it's that sort of oligarchic behavior that seems to be extremely unpopular. You make the link between that and the long term health of the economy in your piece. Does it matter that these companies are extraordinarily successful if you look at you know, mask, if you look at met at any of these companies in a manner that they're unpopular. I mean, you might worry about some of the political coinsis, but is it going to affect they're underlying economic health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure about that. I mean, the term oligarch came into language in our way of describing business in the nineteen nineties from Russia, and it was about companies where people displayed their wealth in a very swanky sort of way. They put it all on display. And it was describing business people who cultivated very very close relationships with government. They were partly business people running companies and they're partly courtiers. And I think both of those two things have been translated into the tech industry. You have yesterday's entrepreneurs behaving in a very flashy, self indulgent way, of which Jeff Bezos I think is the is the most conspicuous example. But you also have tech entrepreneurs making sure that they're very friendly, very connected with the president of the United States and particularly with Donald Trump. And I think both of those things, swanky displays of wealth, closing down venice for your wedding or sponsoring the fashion gala on the one hand, and appearing to be almost courtiers to Trump, both of those things are recipes for unpopularity. Now does that undermine the success of your your company? These are very very good companies. I think the more you're entwined with exchanging favors with governments, I think in the long term that's very unstable. And the more you undermine the trust and the faith of the people in business, again, you are creating a backlash. And you started off by talking about the backlash in tech against tech against AI and I think this could be one of the most profound political forces of the coming era. And if you're whipping up that or encouraging that rather than trying to calm it down, then you're taking a great risk with the future of your business.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting. I mean, one of the things that you identify, you say, you know, we've seen this kind of rise of oligarchs. We've also seen more sort of managerialism, like these big companies are then becoming bureaucratic, and the kind of entrepreneurship that they began with is eroded by becoming more and more like the kind of old style congloberates they were supposed to be much better than. But those two things you actually link to the rising something I mentioned at the top, the sort of growing consolidation of capitalism, greater concentration in sectors. So do you think that is a sort of common cause.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you look at established companies rather than companies that have been founded in the last ten to twenty years, what you see is these companies behaving more like nineteen seventies corporations, adding more and more layers. They're adding more and more functions. They're becoming box ticking enterprises. Instead of having people like Jack Wells who try to neutron Jack blowing up functions, they're adding and accumulating more functions. So, on the one hand, entrepreneurial companies becoming oligarchic companies or entrepreneurs becoming oligarchs running their companies in quite a willful way. On the other hand, big bureaucratic, highly managed companies, old line companies, and both of them are allowed to behave in this way enable to behave in this way because of an underlying concentration of the economy. You have an underlying concentration of the economy in the tech sector, some other sectors, but particularly the tech sector, which come from the fact that these companies are very good at what they're doing. You can't deny that they're well managed companies, but a lot of other sectors. In the United States, I think it's very hard to argue that the American airline companies are wonderfully managed, fantastically entrepreneurial, brilliant companies. They're concentrated for reasons other than corporate excellence. But you have this strange pattern as well happening within the old fashioned corporate sectors. In the nineteen eighties, the great fashion was companies should run themselves like entrepreneurial companies, and they should be risk taking in all of those sorts of things, and CEOs should be paid accordingly. They should be paid like entrepreneurs, and that was unleashed a huge increase in the average take home pay of CEOs. Now you have very bureaucratic companies which are nevertheless rewarding their senior managers, particularly their CEOs, as if they're entrepreneurs, and again, I think that's a recipe for an enormous amount of popular political discontent. So overpaid box sticking managers on the one hand, and self indulgent wealth displaying oligarts on the other hand, both lack the popular appeal, legitimacy and also the wealth creating capacity of the entrepreneurs the nineteen eighties and nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: I think that's true. I think people know instinctively when the businessman who is getting its enormous and foremost largely men, there's also a bunch of women, But when they're getting these enormous pay packets, I think most people's sense when that is going to people who have not put their house on the line or you know, worked out of absolutely initially taken a lot of risks to get that reward. You mentioned one of the things that enables both of those kinds of business to still thrive is this sort of decline in competition. I was quite strung. It's something we've talked about a little bit in the past. One of the things that people are concerned about the US economy that some of the economists on the US research side of Goldman Sachs had an interesting analysis of what was potentially explaining this actually quite long term trend of more and more concentration in US economy in different sectors and profit margins just continuing to grow, which, of course, you know is another sign of lack of competition. If those those profit margins, as we economists supposed, we like to think that they'll get bid away if they're too attractive, but that just hasn't happened in a lot of sectors.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: They look, I'm be interested to know what you think about this, because they look at various possible explanations. One of them is sort of globalization in trade, that larger firms have just captured a lot more from getting more access to foreign market, but they're looking across the advanced economies. They don't find enormous amount of evidence for that. Another is just that there's weaker competition authorities or in the US we would say anti trust enforcement, bit more regulation of sectors, and that seems to be playing a small part. But they don't find that there's been a big shift just in the last few years. But the hypothesis that you could say is related to a little bit to the previous two. But the hypothesis they find as the most compelling. It's just that new technologies have enabled a small number of firms I'm quoting here to leverage economies of scale and capture larger market shares. And so as we've seen technological change, we also tended to see concentration going up. I thought that was pretty interesting, but I guess it also then raises questions for what happens now if we're going to have a whole other now round of technological innovation.
Speaker 1: One of the things that's happened is that you've got the emergence of these super companies field after field, which are characterized by an ability in particular to leverage not just economies of scale, but economists of knowledge. That they're incredibly good at taking advantages in knowledge and instrumentalizing them. They're just very fast on their feet. They're at the frontier of knowledge, but they're at the frontier also of applying that knowledge, instrumentalizing that knowledge, and that gives them a way of being in a sustained way in advance of their competitors. So Schobater argued that companies that are at the forefront would always have that forefront advantage competed away because fast followers would do what they're doing. But these companies, this generation of companies, seems to have found a way of not just producing new knowledge, but of disseminating it within the company faster than anybody else can. That's an extraordinary advantage. But I wouldn't just praise them. I'd say two other things. One is that some of this is driven just by political connection, by political cloud, by political power. These companies are increasingly looking to the government for advantage. The government is its market, particularly in the tech sector. Many companies that manage to stay ahead, particularly in highly regulated industries like the aircraft industri as I said, and not particularly good companies, but they have a good relationship with government regulators and therefore a stable market. The other thing, which I'd add to the Goldman Saxe literature is the gold and Sax people point out quite rightly that this pattern of concentration, although it's intensified in recent years, is a long term factor in American history. If you go back to the nineteen fifties, you have the Big Three, et cetera. Et cetera. Dominance has been quite a long standing thing. But in those days, you had big, powerful trade unions, you had countervailing institutions. So somebody like JK. Galbraith says, well, we have a concentrated economy, but that doesn't matter because labor has a seat at the table, and what we have now is a concentrated economy without an enormous amount of power outside the public sector for trade unions. The economy remains concentrated in some ways, with the nineteen eighties being a bit of an exception, but it's much less balanced because of the diminishing power of the private sector unions.
Speaker 2: As someone who thinks about how policy could respond to these issues, if we think it's a serious problem that businesses are sort of inspiring this kind of sentiment, we should say hatred in many cases, if we think that's kind of poses a long term issue. And we also would say that the underlying growth you might get from some of these companies is not going to be as high as it would be in a more competitive world if you magiced away. The Trump administration, which doesn't seem very minded to do anything along these lines, doesn't seem very keen on increasing competition in these sectors. What are the kind of steps you could take, or what are the things that you could encourage that might try and offset this.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: We obviously we had Lena Kahan in the Biden area that was going to be very aggressive on antitrust, but she was not very popular.
Speaker 1: Now she's not very popular. But I do personally think that we need a revival of anti trust policy and that the brandician sort of tradition needs to be revived, partly for reasons of economic efficiency that I don't think the only thing that matters is the short term issues of the price of consumers, which is the sort of thing that Robert Bulk was preoccupied by. That you can have a market that looks stable, looks as though it's delivering benefits to consumers, but is not as innovative as it would have been had you have more competition, And you are seeing these big tech companies consistently buying up potential disruptors, potential competitors and folding them in to the sort of offerings that they make, and I think that that reduces the overall level of innovation in the economy. That's a speculation. I mean, I can't prove it, but my inclination is to think that it's doing that. But I also have another bigger worry about this, the great liberal actiment. The power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I think is as true of the private sector as of the public sector. I think if you have a world in which a very small number of supercompanies dominate the economy in the absence of powerful countervailing institutions such as trade unions, then the government has to step in both to be a countervailing institution and potentially to break up concentrations of power, because if you don't have that, I think, as well as creating long term economic drag, you are creating huge worry in the minds of the public about the nature and future of democracy. And that's particularly true when you have industries which are information technology industries, which are in control of information. So I think I would really watch out for the growing backlash against AI, against tech, against these tech barons, both in America and right across the world, because I think it could be something that's transformative force in politics and something which could actually have big resonance on the right just as much as on the left. So Trump has leaned quite heavily towards the tech people. But there are quite a number of people in his coalition who are not at all happy about the direction of modern American capitalism.
Speaker 2: Is it too late to upset their strength? I mean, you may get a situation as you just described. Ironically, the places where these big IT companies or the tech companies are less powerful, and where their benefits have been less integrated into the economy, they may be able to be that. There will be bureaucratic institutions that rise up against them, governments that rise up against them. But in the home of these big companies, one of the things that people don't like about them is they sense they've almost become too big to be offset by any one government.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the European Union can certainly act as a counterbalance and has the regulatory powers to do that. I think in the United States it's not too late, but it will require some sort of big political eruptions or earthquakes to do so. Certainly, these are powerful organizations, and certainly there are network effects that reinforce what they do. And certainly they have got this ability not only to produce frontier innovation, but also to spread that throughout their companies very very quickly. They're very quick at what they do. But I do think that's a sort of technological advance that both concentrates wealth in a very small group of people also power in a very small group of people at a time when those people are very willing to sort of, you know, act as cocks of the walk, display their wealth in a public way. Creates a sort of social instability which really worries me a lot.
Speaker 2: I guess, just to finish this off, because someone will be listening to this and remembering what I said at the beginning, I mean, what about AI. I mean, surely isn't this what AI is supposed to be doing when we read you know, the various sort of whether it's the Citrini Report or other things which you may have problems with on other levels. But you know, one of the central claims of people who think that AI is going to transform our economies and our business landscape is that it's going to disrupt companies, disrupt business models. And you would think these big companies, especially as they've got a bit bureaucratic, it would disrupt at least some of this increase competition and at least some of these sectors. I've struck because the Gold and Sachs have sort of, as they point out, they've got two sided implications from their findings because they would say, you know, on the one hand, that the industry's most exposed to AI are the ones that do look quite concentrated and do seem to have quite high profit margins, and you could see AI produce greater competition in some of them. But given this historical lesson that technology tends to help companies get bigger and more dominant with all those kind of scale effects and network effects that you've mentioned, you know, which do you think should we not hold out hope that AI is going to blow up these companies that Donald Trump isn't willing to challenge.
Speaker 1: I tend to think that big, very innovative tech companies are the ones that are spending the big bulk of money on AI, and they're the ones that can implement tech innovations most quickly and most ruthlessly, as Amazon being an example of something that's been incredibly ruthless and get rid of their middle managers and exploiting the sort of efficiency gains from AI. A lot of this does depend on how we implement these policies. I mean, AI can be used to increase the power and scope of a very small managerial class. Can be used to, you know, make sure that we're all spending all our time ticking boxes and jumping through hoops and making it look as though were performing as efficiently as machines are performing. Or it can be used to empower frontline workers by allowing them to do all sorts of things that used to be done by other workers or that used to take us a lot of time. So I think a lot depends on how AI is used by companies, and I think the default position of managers is always to try and accumulate power from themselves and always to be suspicious of frontline workers. That's why this we've had this weird paradox of at an age of digital revolution, we've got more and more layers of companies which we ought not to have had. And I suspect that managers will get the worst out of AI, but I hope that they'll realize that actually, if you trust frontline workers and give them the tools that they need to do their job, you'll actually get happier and more more productive people like me.
Speaker 2: Well, this one goes out to all the managers of the world, and I guess next you'll be suggesting we need the return of strong unions. But maybe that's a step too far.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't quite suggest that, but I do think to have extraordinarily powerful companies without any powerful counterbalances, with the exception of the Trump in government. I mean Trump regards himself as a powerful counterbalance. It is a very unique position historically to have.
Speaker 2: That is an unusual thing for you to say, Adrian, because I know you look at the full sweep of history and there's almost always an example that you can turn to. But maybe we'll do that another week. Adrian Waldrich, thank you so much, Thank you thanks for listening to Trumpnomics from Bloomberg. It was hosted by me Stephanie Flanders, and I was joined by Bloomberg's global business columnist and author Adrian Waldridge. Trumponomics was produced by Samasadi and Moses Andam with help from Amy Keith. Sound design is by Blake Maples and Kelly Garry, and please to help others find us and enjoy trump Noomics, rate and review it highly wherever
Speaker 1: You listen him to talking about the SMA