Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Joe Wisenthal and I'm Tracy Alloy.
Speaker 3: Tracy Arizona Water.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm really fascinated by this topic, and I also have a really hard time wrapping my head around it.
Speaker 2: We sort of hear different things. So just to lay the groundwork here or the groundwater. We have interviewed a land broker in Arizona, and we have also interviewed an alfalfa farmer. Yes, and water has come up every time, and we sort of hear different things from those two stakeholders. So I remember the farmer was sort of blaming the property developers for water shortages, and then the property developers are like, actually, agriculture uses the majority of water in the state, and at the same time, you have concerns over water availability, and we saw some news on that front recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So at the beginning of the month, I believe the governor of Arizona announced this plan to sort of constrain the amount of new development that will be allowed around the Phoenix area, which is of course one of the fastest growing areas. And as you mentioned, like the developers will say, oh, we have plenty of room to add more homes because the farmers are taking up eighty percent of the water that we have in the desert. And the farmers say, well, there wasn't really a problem with water until everyone started moving to our state.
Speaker 2: I'm imagining that Spider Man meme of everyone pointing fingers at each other. But I think the big difference and what's happening now is that we are starting to see water shortages or constraints affect development decisions.
Speaker 1: Right, So then the big question is, like, Okay, so Arizona and some of these other Southwestern states that in part get their water from the Colorado River all have to conserve water to somewhat to some extent, there's been this meggage round in the Southwest for I think like twenty five years now. From the underground aquafers, they're depleting at some pace. The water from the rivers is lower than it used to be. So then and we hadn't even you know, we're talking about housing versus agriculture. There's also a lot of industry, industry and the semiconductors. Yeah, so we sort of have to get a sense I think of the big picture of like frankly, who's going to lose out? Who is going to who has water today that won't have access.
Speaker 2: To it in the future, Right, And how do you make those decisions? How do you decide what to prioritize.
Speaker 1: Right, Because with all utilities, it's never like a pure market. There's not just like I don't at least I don't think, you know, it's like when you like try to wrap your head around like.
Speaker 3: How the Texas grid works.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not like there's like some price of electricity and who pays the most. It's like there's auction mechanisms, there's subsidies, et cetera.
Speaker 2: All kinds of Texas gread is a bit of a special case. But point taken, I think I.
Speaker 1: Think Arizona Water might also be in that case of many special cases. So we really do have the perfect guest who is steeped in water and water policy and made a whole career of it. We're going to be speaking to Katherine Sorenson. She's the director of Research at the Kyle Center for Water at the Morrison Institute for Public Policy at Arizona State. Previously, she was the head of Phoenix Water Services.
Speaker 3: So someone who.
Speaker 1: Really knows water and going to break it down. So, Catherine Sorenson, thank you so much for coming on odd Lots really appreciate you joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm really excited for our conversation.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you start just in the very sort of just go back a little bit a few weeks ago and the Governor of Arizona did announce these constraints to some extent on new construction capacity around Phoenix.
Speaker 3: What what was announced and why?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question, and there is a complicated answer to that.
Speaker 1: And I told you it's not going to be an easy one.
Speaker 4: But it's not an easy one. So what that related to is actual it was actually a sustainable groundwater management in the Phoenix metropolitan area. So in Arizona we have some of the most progressive groundwater management laws that you will find not only in this country, but literally in the world. Back in nineteen eighty we passed groundwater management that effectively ties water availability to the ability to grow. And so what that means is that if you're going to subdivide land, which is typically how growth occurs, particularly for you know what we call subdivisions, right like residential subdivision in the Phoenix metropolitan area. If you are going to subdivide land and grow, you have to prove that you have one hundred years of water available for that development. It is a really high bar to me, necessarily so because you can imagine that people will only invest in our economy. Enterprises will only come to the Phoenix area if they understand that we have secure water supplies, because we're out here in the middle of that destr right. So what the governor announced was actually that all the groundwater in the Phoenix metropolitan Area is essentially spoken for. It is allocated and expected to be used by those who have a right to it over the next one hundred years. So our announcement really was that you can continue to grow, but if you are going to continue to grow, it needs to either be in a place that already has demonstrated this one hundred year assured water supply, or if you're going to grow out on the fringes of the Valley of the Sun, outside of the boundaries of places that have this one hundred year assured water supply designation, you can't grow on groundwater. You can grow on other water supplies, but not groundwater. So it is essentially a way of protecting the groundwater so that it is available for those who already have a claim to it and for those who come after.
Speaker 2: So let me ask, let me back up even further all the way I guess to like the Paleolithic era. But when we talk about water availability in Arizona and in Phoenix specifically, setting aside constraints, currently, how much water is there and where is it coming from? Because of course you make the you distinguish between groundwater versus other sources. So what exactly is available in that area?
Speaker 4: You know, I love this question because it's super important. Central Arizona in particular is blessed with very large and very productive groundwater aquifers. That means, in layman terms, there's a lot of ground. Unfortunately, it's fossil groundwater, meaning that it is not annually renewed by Mother Nature at any significant rate. It's like an oil field, right, okay, and probably more valuable to us, I will say so. But Arizona also, of course has its own rivers. Those rivers are depending on snow melt from our mountains, and Phoenix in particular is located where three of the state's main rivers come together. So Although people, you know, criticize Phoenix for being a big city out in the middle of the desert, what they don't really understand is that Phoenix was actually very carefully chosen by ancient Native Americans who first settled there and who have lived there since crime immemorial. Because Phoenix is where three big rivers come together, so there's a large amount of service water. There's also this native groundwater, fossil groundwater, and then we import Colorado River water from western Arizona into central Arizona as well, so there is a lot of water. There's enough water for what we most value. I think the question is that there is probably not enough water for everything. So we really have to dial in on what are these things, what are these enterprises, What are these uses of water that we most want.
Speaker 1: I guess we'll just keep jumping back and forth between the current time and history the ancient era. But you know, you mentioned that per the Governor's New Order, that if you want to build or grow in certain areas, you can still do it.
Speaker 3: You just have to.
Speaker 1: Find another source of water that's not the groundwater. That the ground that the one hundred years of groundwater availability is essentially spoken for already can you talk through I guess some of the maybe it's the economics or the considerations that would go you know, into thinking like, Okay, some entity wants to grow what is the second best source of water for them that if they no longer have access to the sort of underground fossil water.
Speaker 4: So it is all about economics. There are alternatives. The question is how expensive are those alternatives and would you not just be better off economically by developing more in the center of the value of the sun and the Phoenix metropolitan area where there is already one hundred years hird water supply designation. Right, So this in some way balances the economics between continued sprawl which was cheaper on groundwater, versus infield development where water supplies and warsure. But yeah, there are alternatives. There are farmers that are willing to basically sell their higher priority water rights, and an entity could theoretically purchase those water rights off of the main stem in western Arizona, the main ten mouth of the Colorado River, and to import them through the Central Arizona Project Canal into Central Arizona. That is hugely controversial, not to mention extremely expensive, but for example, the town of Queen Creek, which does not have a designation of a one hundred year shared water supply. The town of Queen Creek is in the process of doing just that because they want to continue to grow, so for them, the economics work.
Speaker 5: For individual developers, I think that's a much steeper proposition, right. It's one thing for an entire town to decide to import those types of supplies.
Speaker 4: If you're just an independent developer, that might.
Speaker 5: Be substantially more efficult kinds it, but that is a possibility.
Speaker 4: There are also Indian tribes in central Arizona that at least historically have been willing to lease some of their water for these purposes. It's really expensive, but it's possible. There are also groundwater basins outside of the Phoenix metropolitan area that are specifically designated for the purpose of being pumped and transporting that groundwater into the Phoenix metropolitan area, sort of like in Owens Valley in California. If you know that story. You pump someone else's groundwater basin dry and import it into an urban center, not saying that's sustainable, but it is legally feasible in a z on them and then of course, there's reclaimed water, there's the potential to use desalinated breckage groundwater or ocean water. There are alternatives. These are all just really really expensive. So if you're a developer, you got to be thinking, Okay, would I rather try to pursue this continued sprawl type subdivision development or might I be better off purchasing more expensive land that comes with an assured water.
Speaker 2: Sorry to jump back and forth again, but can I ask another backup question.
Speaker 4: Wherever you want? It's all good.
Speaker 2: I think we're on like two separate timelines.
Speaker 1: No, but I find it helpful for about like the different types of water, and you're totally right.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so just on this note, But the current water constraints, what are they being caused by? Is it simply economic development and population growth? Is it climate change? I imagine it's a combination of a bunch of different factors. But can you maybe explain the constraints to us and then how those constraints inform the current thinking around water availability.
Speaker 4: So the constraints relating to groundwater that I described I have to do both with farming and with continued urban development. You can imagine there are a lot of demands on our aquifers. Right there's continued farming in the Valley of the Sun. Farming in the desert Southwest is a very water intensive enterprise. Farmers continue to draw from the aquifer and they have the ability to do so in perpetuity. They were essentially grandfathered in to the groundwater pumping restraints under the nineteen eighty Groundwater Management Act, so they have a perpetual right to come and they continue to do so. And then, of course the cities have grown in population as well, particularly since World War Two, and you know, they draw on the aquifer for potable water needs as well. And then there's various industries that also draw from the aquifer. And so I think it's a combination of all of those demands that are creating the constraints on groundwater. Essentially, what the state is coming out and saying is that, look, all that groundwater is spoken for, you know, and not just spoken for today. The state looks out one hundred years. We're very proactive about our water management out here in the desert because we have to be. But what the state is saying is that that groundwater over this one hundred year chunk of time is spoken for. So those constraints are kind of caused by a combination of all those demands, but also the intentional regulatory decision to protect and guard those resources for the future. Right the state is essentially signaling no, we're not just going to let you deplete this awkward for Chiller's and nothing left. Regarding surface water, that's a really different constraint. So I mentioned that we have that Phoenix is located where three major rivers come together. The value of the sun is lucky to enjoy the flows of the Salt and Verting rivers. That river system is actually managed by the Salt River Project. It's called it is one of the Beerau Reclamation's oldest projects and dates back I believe to Oh my goodness, nineteen oh, nineteen ten. I don't know. I probably have that wrong. It's very old. It predates statehood for us. The flows of that system actually are relatively resilient and sustainable, even in the face of climate change. There's a couple of reasons for that. Scientists has studied the hydrology of those watersheds, and certainly climate change will affect those watersheds. We can expect some diminishment of snowpack and precipitation in our mountains. But the way I understand it, not being a hydrologist, is that they're saying that, look, you know, Arizona is already baked, right, It's already it's already hot and dry here, and yeah, it might give us feel hotter and dryer, but they don't expect that the flows of the Saltenbodi River system will be affected as much as, for example, the flows of the Colorado itself might be affected. And then if you add to that the fact that the entire value of the sun the whole Phoenix metropolitan area used to be agricultural, and that again dates back all the way to time immemorial with the Native Americans who first farmed this valley, and in fact, our modern day canal system follows in many ways the same ancient canal systems that Native Americans first dug. So we were always in an agricultural valley. Particularly during World War II. A lot of that agriculture increased because of the need to grow cotton for war material and at the time that bull weav was decimating cotton in the southeast, and so Arizona was a natural place to grow it. And our cotton yields are very high because it turns out all cotton needs is water and sun, and we got a lot of sun. So we've been in an agricultural valley. Now, what's interesting about that is that it takes on the order of three to six acre feet per acre to grow cotton or alf alpha in our hot desert sun, whereas it only takes about an acre and I'm sorry, an acrefoot per acre to grow a subdivision. Urban water uses are much less intensive per acre than farming dist And so interestingly, as the Valley of the Sun converted from what was largely an agricultural valley into an urban one, there was a natural water savings built in. So whereas we used to use about one and a half million acre feet of water off the Salt and Birdy River system, today that system delivers about half that amount. So there's just this very natural water savings that was built into the way we grew. And then I'm sorry being really really interesting. Okay, good stop me at any time. But then if you take a look at the Colorado River system, that's where we have just some real problems. The Colorado River system is overallocated, probably at least by one point two million acre per year, maybe more. And then if you add on top of that the fact that we've been experiencing, you know, as you said, twenty years of what has been one of the worst routes on the paleo record, and the fact that the climate is changing and scientists are telling us that the flows of the Colorado River might diminish by as much as thirty percent. You know, that's a really big problem, right, and I think that's why the Commissioner of the Bureau of Reclamation came out and said, hey, look, guys, you're gonna have to cut millions of acre feet in water consumption to stabilize this river system.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, that was a great answer, and you sort of hit on things that both of the other guests that we've talked to about this topic brought up and see it from their angle. And so, you know, we talked to Chase Summerson, a real estate broker, and he made the exact point that you made that actually, as Arizona's water consumption shifts from agriculture to residential use, it actually results in the net savings and actually improves the sustainability.
Speaker 3: On the other hand. You know, we talked to an.
Speaker 1: LFLFA farmer and he's like, you know, our family's been doing this on this land for eight generations or something like that. And so, you know, as you noted, you know, you mentioned that farmers are sort of grandfathered in. So can you sort of quantify or talk about the sort of implicit subsidy to agriculture that comes from having been grandfathered in? And like, what is the gap between how much, say, farmers are willing to pay for an acre foot of water versus you know, a housing developer either inside the Valley of the Sun or nearby.
Speaker 4: You know, the subsidy doesn't really come in the form of water. Okay, let me explain that in a couple of ways. Yes, under the nineteen eighty Groundwater Management Act, farmers were basically grandfathered in and they have a perpetual right to pump groundwater. I guess you can view that as a subsidy, though the cities and private water companies that also lay claim to groundwater don't really pay much for that groundwater either, Okay, Right, And I don't know that I would say that farmers are subsidized so much. I think that the difference in the cost that a developer pays for water versus what a farmer pays for water really has more to do with the fact that development is not allowed to rely on mining this fossil groundwater, and instead they have to invest in and renewable surface water supplies and particularly in the infrastructure necessary to deliver it to customers tabs. So I think that in turn that really the cost difference has more to do with the acquisition of renewable water supplies and the need to develop infrastructure, if that makes sense. And on the Colorado River it's different. So the Groundwater Management Act applies to central Arizona, it does not apply to western Arizona. And in western Arizona on the main stem of the Coloratda River, the farmers and Indian communities have the highest priority water rates because of course Western water lies based on first and time first and right, turns out Native Americans we're here first. Turns out, you know, farmers kind of came along the text, and so they just they have the highest priority water rates. Any subsidy that they receive really relates more to the infrastructure that often but not always, has been built by the federal government, typically with repayment provisions, though at times those repayment provisions are lax. I guess it does.
Speaker 2: It leads into something I wanted to ask you, which is you mentioned infrastructure there, and I guess one question I have. You know, maybe even before we get to tougher decisions about constraining development or maybe pricing water in a different way, but to what degree can these water constraints be solved with better water management and newer infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Reinvestment in aging infrastructure will certainly help, but it will not be the answer. It's difficult to deploy that at scale. So for example, when I was a director of Phoenix Water Services, I asked the engineers to calculate how much water the city of Phoenix was losing two leaky pipes. Now, to put this in context, here in central Arizona, the cities have are regulated such that their water losses in their distribution systems cannot exceed ten percent, which is very low. If you look nationwide, water losses are probably at least something more like thirty percent. But because water scarce here were regulated, you know, to a higher standard. But the amount of water that is lost in Phoenix water distribution system pipelines is about twenty five thousand acre feet of water per year. That's a lot of water. But when you're talking about a problem on the Colorado River that is on the order of two million acre feet, you're not going to get there. Probably a part of the solution space, I think an important one. I can get out my pipeline soap box if you want me to, but I think that investing in pipelines is probably one of the best things here for water quality and for water resiliency, but it's unlikely to be deployed a scale to fix the problems from the color.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question about perspective, because you know, I don't have any impulse. I mean, I really like the Southwest, but it's very unlikely that I'm going to be moving to Arizona anytime soon. That being said, I regularly do consume food, including beef that may have come from colors, that may have eaten elfalfa that was grown, you know, in Arizona.
Speaker 2: So I have a fancy racehorse.
Speaker 1: No, no, I don't know a horse that consumes it. But like eat, I eat food, and the desert, other than not having much rain, seems to be a pretty great place to grow food due to stable conditions and other things that you've already talked about. When thinking about Arizona water policy, you know, obviously there's the interest of the developers and the people who want to move to Phoenix for cheap land, et cetera. But how should we weigh sort of US food security, the interest of food exports, then the interests of fairly affordable food, and how much does that inform sort of policy choices that go into the state's water use.
Speaker 4: So, you know, the US is a very large country, and certainly we have enough land to grow what we need to grow. It comes down to economics and inefficiencies. Right. Culture in the desert Southwest tends to be very efficient because we have so much sun, and it is for that reason. It is also very water intensive. Alfalfa growers in the desert Southwest can get something like ten to twelve cuttings per year. If you're trying to grow alfalfa in Montana with a short growing season, you're probably going to get I don't know, two, yeah, four.
Speaker 3: So it's not crazy. So it's not I mean, it's not.
Speaker 1: Crazy that we grow like that is a very big advantage setting aside the water issued there's a reason that Arizona became a big hotbed grown.
Speaker 4: A lot of alfalfa here. Now that other parts of the country grow a lot of alfalfa as well, would you have to use more land to get a comparable total amount? Maybe? Is that the worst thing ever? Probably not. I think those types of changes could potentially happen over time, particularly in the face of continued water stress on the Colorado River. But more important is the question of vegetables. Because I'm sure you've heard western Arizona, the Yuma area, and the Central Valley of California grow the majority of the winter greens that you know, New Yorkers and Minnesotan's and I don't know, Michiganders, whatever you're called. All these people love to eat, and that is that could be replicated elsewhere. But replicating the growth of vegetables in the wintertime is a very complex undertaking. It's not just about water and sun. You could probably find that in other places. It's also about the logistics of refrigeration, the labor supply, the quality control. All of this is it is very highly it is highly complex agriculture. It is in industrial agriculture. It is not you cute little family farms in Massachusetts, right, So that I think is a more difficult proposition. But there will be increasing stress on farmers in western Arizona who have these higher priority water rights, precisely because they have the higher priority water rights, and as the Colorado River continues to diminish, the cities in Cintil, Arizona, who have lower priority water rights to the Colorado River by nature, are going to be looking to acquire those higher priority water rights. Farmers don't have to sell, and certainly there are real consequences for rural communities, for their economies, for their cultures, for all sorts of things. I don't mean to make of that, but that pressure will only increase over time. Pharmers don't have to sell, but it turns out that at the end of the day, a lot of them like to, you know, when they want to retire, when the kids don't want to take their over. You know, that pressure will only increase.
Speaker 2: So we've already been talking about I guess the realities of different water sources and preferences for different water sources. I'm wondering what would happen if, you know, for instance, we see the property developers have a preference for groundwater because it tends to be cheaper. But what would happen if Arizona came in and put a more concrete pricing structure on these rights, like a what would that look like? How would it work? I hear that term pricing water quite a lot nowadays, but I don't quite understand it. And then be how would that impact I guess the mix of Arizona's economy between say, agriculture industry and real estate.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it would have a big impact. Looking at the kind of the legal issues surrounding that that the state would have to impose some sort of tax. That's how you would price water differently, you, Yeah, the state could come in theoretically and impost some sort of tax on the consumption of water, the consumption of Colorado River water, on the consumption of you know, groundwater. And certainly I think you know, farmers not always, but you know often operate you know, on the margin of profitability, depending on what kind of crop they're growing, And so certainly I think that could potentially have an impact. I will tell you, I don't see how that would be politically viable or so. Sure. I'm an economist. I always love to go to pricing to fix things, but I think that would be a very difficult proposition politically. For context, the consumption of groundwater in central Arizona is taxed in these areas where groundwater is highly regulated, but the legislature put a very specific cap on that tax, and really that was for political reasons, and so that tax is so low that it really doesn't alter behavior in any meaningful way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: You brought up the reality that culture and politics and everything aside, the pressure on farmers to sell is.
Speaker 3: Likely to grow.
Speaker 1: And we even brought this up. We talked to a farmer and we said, are you going to sell? And he said no, And then he said, well, you know, right now the highway is ten miles away, and so but maybe one day the highway will it'll be two miles away, or you know, one mile away, and so at some point there might be a real real.
Speaker 3: Estate bid for that area.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I want to touch on another dimension that we haven't hit on yet, but that is industrial uses of water. And we know that a lot of the new semiconductor factories that are coming to the US are coming to Arizona, Intel, TMC, et cetera. Semiconductor production, I think battery production to fairly water intensive process. It has to be really extremely clean water. Can you talk about that, how that plays into the demand mix, and how that's being accounted for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad you asked that, because when you were saying, hey, you know, should we really be consuming vegetables and dairy and things that's dependent on agriculture and the desert south west, the first thing that popped into my mind is, well, you're already consuming semiconductors that are produced here, and that's also very water intensive. Yeah. So it turns out that the desert is a great place not only to grow cotton and winter vegetables, but it's a great place used to grow the high tech industry because we do not have natural disasters, don't have tornadoes, we don't have blizzards, really doesn't flood often once in a while, you know, no tornadoes, it's no earthquakes. It's very stable. Our climate is very stable, and the high tech industry likes that. Yeah, that's why there are a lot of server farms out here. That's why we have Intel, and that's one of the reasons why we recruited t SMC to build semiconductors as well. And yes, those industries are very water intensive. That goes back to the idea that we don't have enough water for everything. Right, human wants are always unlimited, Our ability to fulfill them is limited. We don't have enough water for everything. What do we have enough water for? If the state wants to continue to pursue the high tech industry that it is very water intensive, that will entail shifts of how we consume water in this state and what it's used for if by nature just has to because there are tradeos.
Speaker 2: So just on this point, this might be a slightly unfair question or a difficult question, but I mean, looking to the future, is it just inevitable that water constraints are going to themselves act as a constraint on economic growth?
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because I think that we are capable of managing our water supplies to meet the purposes that we find most valuable. The politics of that are really hard, but we are capable of doing that. The technologies exist. It is not that difficult from an economic or technological perspective to move water from where it is today to where you want it to go to meet those increased demands. So no, I personally don't. I think that the economic benefit that comes from these types of enterprises is such that it will be worthwhile for us to manage water to meet them and that and we will do so.
Speaker 1: You know what I find really fascinating by this conversation is, you know, I think when people think about climate change, they think about, oh, you know, like we've we've invested so much in the desert, et cetera, and we're really going to pay the price as the climate continues to change. But in many ways, as you've described, are some like real advantages. As you said, the Arizona is already baked. It's already an area.
Speaker 2: That climate stability, extreme heat exactly.
Speaker 3: And then it's really funny, Yeah.
Speaker 4: People like, what are you going to do about climate change? You're like, are you kidding me? It's already hot and dry here, Like you're you're saying it's going to become hotter and drier.
Speaker 1: We know how to do that, you know, right, So it's like the potential disruptions to say, where people think about climate change, winters and you know, the Northeast, maybe it'll be more disruptive. But as you point out, you know, or as the farmer points out, extremely stable climate I mean, is stable weather. There's not droughts because there's no rain in the first place. There's not floods because yeah, yeah, right right. And then for the industrial uses, you know, there's no earthquakes or tornadoes, et cetera, which of course is really important for the precision equipment that goes into semiconductors. So it really is striking the sort of like combination of things like that, other than the lack of rainfall brings together Arizona.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And what's important about that context is people need to remember that people have been moving water for thousands of years and it's actually something we're good at. Right. It is not technologically difficult to do it. The solutions are known, is it expensive, is it difficult, is it politically fraught with danger? All those things? Right, But it's very doable. And I think also it's interesting to me. You know, this country was settled originally, you know, of course by Native Americans, and then the next kind of way that came over were Europeans from a temperate climate. And I think that idea of life in a temperate climate steaks with us, and people forget that desert cities are actually among the oldest cities on the planet, that humans have always lived in deserts and will always live in deserts. And I think in this country we just have this weird cultural norm that comes from the fact that many of the people who came over here and found it, you know, this government, were from a temperate climate. That's not how all humans experience the world.
Speaker 1: I don't know, no, I like this sort of like the optimistic idea that part of the human seriously, that part of the human experience and part of being human is like we're going to find a way to build a city.
Speaker 3: In the desert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you mentioned transportation of water, and one technology that theoretically if electricity costs fall is desalinization of water. And despite the existence of the song titled ocean Front Property in Arizona, there is no ocean front property in Arizona, though it's a great song. Can you talk a little bit of the George Strait song? I think, can you talk a little bit about desalinization and the sort of you mentioned that we're good at moving water and as a solution in the future or even currently from the oceans to Arizona for various purposes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's very it is feasible right now, it's too crazy expensive to be deployed at scale, is what I'll say. I think, like other solutions, you know, investing in leaky pipelines, I think it's a tool. I don't think it will be deployed at scale, certainly not in the next, say, twenty years. It's hard for me to imagine it ever being deployed at a scale that kind of fixes the Colorado River. But I think it is important for us to continue to pursue it. But more importantly, at the end of the day, from an economic perspective, it will just be less expensive to buy out higher priority water rights, So I think that's the thing to match. And it is. While it is less expensive to buy out higher priority water rights, it is also exponentially politically more difficult. So you're going to have this weird conflict between what is less expensive economically and what is more expensive politically, And I don't know how that's really going to play out. I think that'll be interesting to watch.
Speaker 2: Well, this was actually going to be my next and probably my last question. But you know, we're talking about deciding on who gets certain rights to water that may be more valuable than others. Who gets to make that decision ultimately.
Speaker 4: So for the most part, those decisions are already made in the West, with some important exceptions I'll talk about. In the West, for the most part, we already know exactly who has rights to the Colorado River, to the Saltenburdi river systems, to groundwater. So much of that is already determined, and it's more and so changing the use of that water is more about entering into voluntary transactions for leases, for the sale of that water, et cetera. However, there is a really important exception to that, and that relates back to Native American communities. Many Native American tribes in Arizona have gone through the process of settling their water rights claims and know exactly how much water they are entitled to and where it comes from. Other tribes have, not notably the Navajo Nation. So there is this outstanding question about how much water they are entitled to offer the Colorado River system. And in an over allocated river system, there isn't just this water out there floating around that something isn't already using So that entails claiming that water, going through the adjudication process, and then dealing with those who are currently making use of that water and stay. Yeah, it's an interesting situation where you can kind of, you know, the most part who has rights to water, exactly where those rights fall in terms of the priority system, with some notable and very important exceptions.
Speaker 1: And that was going to bring out Catherine Srenson. This was a very helpful and clarifying conversation on a complicated topic. Really appreciate you coming on odlags.
Speaker 4: Oh it's been so I think it's must r.
Speaker 3: Tracy.
Speaker 1: I found that to be an immensely helpful conversation, you know, and I think this sort of where this is going is what Trevor Bale is sort of hinted at that essentially, at some point the bid for those premium water rights, yeah, is just going to naturally move a lot of this water to the housing development.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm going to slightly refine priors because going into this, I was thinking, you know, water wars, big constraint on economic growth. But to Catherine's point, it's more about deciding on that mix. It feels like.
Speaker 1: And it does feel to me that to some extent, the concern is.
Speaker 3: Actually not about Arizona.
Speaker 1: The concern is the people who eat food that is like grown in Arizona that, as she pointed out, there's like, you know, the housing developers can will pay more for those water rights, people will live there probably that you know, the semiconductor, but the w But then it's like, okay, but someone has to grow those vegetables.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: She also kind of solved a mystery for me, which is why do we keep building very water intensive technology in the middle of the desert, And her explanation that actually, in many respects, this is a very stable climate that doesn't have to worry about things like hurricanes and tornadoes and earthquakes. That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: It makes a ton of sense. And I hadn't really thought about that dimension before. And then I have to say, like, you know, I loved her point that like there's always been desert, Like we sort of think it's like, oh, well, we developed air conditioning and so or you know, modern plumbing or something, so like we're going to build a city in the desert now. But I like the idea that like, even before all this like humans have always tried to build cities in the desert.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit dystopian. The idea of like climate change means we're all going home to our desert origan. It's a little creepy, but I take the point. Like to her point, Arizona has a long history of dealing with water scarcity issues and probably on that basis, might be in a better position to do so than places in the Northeast.
Speaker 1: And as a species we find a way that's sort of like that. I got very I was like, I was expecting.
Speaker 2: This to be much from Jurassic No.
Speaker 1: I was expecting to be like way more pessimistic. And I leave like the conversations being like, humans find a way to do it.
Speaker 2: It's certainly a much more nuanced topic than like the water wars have started. So from that perspective, it was incredibly.
Speaker 3: Useful, incredibly useful.
Speaker 2: Shall we leave it there, Let's leave it there, all right? This has been another episode of the All Thoughts podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me on Twitter at Tracy.
Speaker 1: Alloway and I'm Jill Wisenthal. You can follow me on Twitter at the Stalwart. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at, Carmen Arman at Dashel Bennett at dashbot, and for all of the Bloomberg podcasts, check out the handle at podcasts. And for our odd Laws content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd lots, where we have a blog. We post the transcripts and the newsletter and come chat in our discord. We have a water room, although maybe I think it's turned into a climate room, but anyway, people talk about water in there a lot, so this should be a fun thing to talk about. Go to discord dot gg slash.
Speaker 2: Odlogs, yep, and you can stream Bloomberg TV on Apple Originals, Roku, Samsung or any of the other streaming platforms, and make sure to tune in to Bloomberg TV at ten pm Eastern. Thanks for joining in.