Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles on ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Terry's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the back.
Speaker 1: Deal the Rage.
Speaker 2: It's brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the sand Tan two to two Freeway.
Speaker 3: In Valves want to grab by Tray McBride.
Speaker 2: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcast.
Speaker 1: All Red Sea, Its Rising Uard, Timpert Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, Take it Ober.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 5: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 4: All we're ready, all right, more than ready.
Speaker 1: Believe it.
Speaker 4: I mean, show a hand's here who is so done with the mock drafts and so ready for a real draft right, absolutely done with the mock you know how, we do know that we're ready. Earlier this week of feature story came out on the on the scouts, not the players, not the gms, but the scouts. M okay, deserve no doubt about it. But there was also another story out in the chime on the bells, you know the jingle on the TV broadcast that precedes every pick. You get a story on the chime on the jingles, and so at that moment, you know, okay, it's time, right based on all the above, let there be draft picks. Let Moni cook, and we're to talk about it on the Big Red Rage. Paul Calvis here, Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: There, Pully. Scouts are people too.
Speaker 4: And they do an unbelievable job, and they pay an unbelievable price, all the road trips and the miles they put in, and now this is their super Bowl. Right here we go twenty twenty five NFL Draft, and we'll get to that in a moment. He goes, guess what has started here in twenty twenty five the off season program? And so the players come in, they get going. We had a chance to talk earlier this week with Garrett Williams of Paris Johnson Junior and Michael Wilson, and you know, Wolf there was a moment where I said, oh my goodness, this whole method of finding guys who will quote all ball MANI and JG. Yes, you see it in every one of the last two draft classes they've done. You're not going to hit on every pick, and not every pick is going to be an all pro, but you know what, they have been very successful from what I can tell, and finding the guys with the mentality they're looking for.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it, Pauli. This is something that I think is trending very very well. If you're an Arizona Cardinal fan. The fact that many austen for it. I don't know who it is. Maybe it's Dave Sears. I don't know who it is. There's somebody that is actually sitting in there, maybe it's Moni himself, sitting in there interviewing these guys, interviewing all of these prospects, and somehow, some way being able to discern whether or not they're telling the truth, whether they're not, whether or not they're legit or not. PAULI, there's some way they're vetting these guys, these prospects, and they're hitting on these prospects. Everybody can look at tape. Everybody can watch watch a guy run a forty or watch a guy do a three comb drill. Everybody can do that. It's how do you decipher whether or not this individual that you're interested in drafting is actually a squared away dude and has the right mentality to fit inside your locker room. Man, you gotta vet him. And montiasin Fort and his staff have done a very very good job in terms of doing that, Paully, and that bodes well. One's a point, two's a trend, three's a pattern. If he nails this draft as well, that's three in a row. Look out. This is the way the Lions built their dynasty right now, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was some sort of analytic about the Lions have rushed the draft better than anyone in recent history in the NFL, and the Cardinals are making inroads on that over the last two draft classes. Think about the rookie draft class. No team had more two years ago. That is, his rookie draft class had more snaps and starts in any rookie class twenty twenty three. Last year, a dozen draft picks, not including the undrafted guys like Starling Thomas and Amari de Murcato and Elijah Higgins. I mean, look, there's a reason there are so many mock drafts out there because it's easy to put out a mock draft. You can look at the stats, you can look at the measurables. It goes way beyond that. So when you have a Garrett Williams, who guess what was taken in a Round three because he had a knee injury. But they did the homework and they had an unbelievable meeting once upon a time in Indianapolis at the Combine with Garrett Williams, and they asked them the right questions, they got unbelievable answers, and now he is an absolute building block, up pillar of your secondary And here he is earlier in the week talking about his excitement for the upcoming season, Eric gar I mean.
Speaker 6: Here's been a big sense of excitement because you know, I think everybody here loves ball. And so when you just keep adding guys who have that same mindset, and especially now having three years of kind of the staff kind of bringing in guys, they feel like fist the mold. You definitely feel a little bit more of a more focused group too. You know, even though it's only been one day, but you know, I feel like you get a sense of everybody's excited for the right reasons.
Speaker 4: And by the way, he was asked about what do you think about the Cardinals enhanced defensive front and he smiled, Oh yeah, just like a running game. As a quarterback's best friend, a pass rush is a cornerback's best friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no doubt about that ball. It's one of the reasons why I think we will focus on the box defensively as well. But Garrett Williams, this is what I'm talking about. This guy. Think how much better he could be in year two as well? Think how much better he could be right now? Garrett Williams and his development right now. I look at other guys as well. Marvin Harrison Junior. You know, we talk about this all the time. We look at him and we think, man, well, you know, he had eight touchdowns and that was awesome, and you know, over eight hundred yards receiving as well, that was great too. I think that is going to be just a sliver of what he is going to do coming up this season. I think he's that type of player poly where he's going to develop so much more in his second year. You know that this is something that we have noticed with these draft picks, whether they're in year or two now or going into year three, we have noticed these guys. They are developing at a very quick pace right now under this regime with mantiasen Ford of course, and Jonathan Gannon. I think of Trey McBride. I think of Trey McBride. Okay, yeah, he's been here three years. I understand that, But Trey McBride, his rookie year was kind of a throwaway. He has developed in a big, big way ever since Monti, Austin Fort and Jonathan Gannon took over. He has developed in the last two years to where he's the best tight end in the game.
Speaker 4: Darius Robinson. I think we're all real eager to see what Darius Robinson looks like this year when he's not dealing with the nagging calf injury. As we found out into the year, he's never quite one hundred percent. You mentioned Jonathan Gannon. Here's what he told the media and when asked about what's it like to be in that war room.
Speaker 7: It's one of the things that gets you going, like game day. Honestly, you know, there's not too many things in the world you can do. That feels like the rush after the national anthem before you kick it off. The whole building feels that.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Hog, I know, good point to that.
Speaker 4: The intensity, the competitive level in the war room, and there's there's a lot of that. I mean, obviously there are you know, does everybody else's big board look like? How are they valuing certain players? Who's calling? Maniasivoran mentioned the media. You know, when some people call, you know, they're serious. When other teams call, they sort of a reputation is being frivolous and they're going to try and you know, but uh yeah, don't think that this isn't how all the general managers and decision makers are ultimately judged drafted as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, now I'm gonna say this, I don't think it's quite as intense as lining up to go out and cover a kickoff. Can I just tell you that right now? JJ I would I would say, yeah, you might want to be careful there for me at least, But I love his intensity. And this is the thing about JG right now, do you think players know that their head coach is an intense dude? Do you think they understand that you get a little greasy sometimes with JG because he really enjoys the physicality of the game of football. Not just a coach, not just a guy that believes in schemes and coaching. And watch this, I'm going to grease it up on the board right here. Not just that, but a guy that understands, knows and understands the physicality of the game and that the game is still about that. That's the kind of intensity that he brings to this team and expects out of his players. And that's why it's important you go out in draft guys like that, in sign free agents that think the same way.
Speaker 4: Now, look, we're going to talk to Dave Pass here momentarily. In fact couple of segments. We're going to do offense, we're gonna do defense. But it's interesting when you see all the different position groups have been mocked to the Arizona Cardinals and a recent one, Wolf, I want to get to you real quick, middle linebacker. And I had a bit of an argument with Rob Frederickson on the Red Sea Report. Okay, there's a little PTSD if you will, about drafting a linebacker in round one. Yeah, and I get it. But if I'm telling you it's Bobby Wagner or Luke Keikley or Patrick Willis, you know if Johad Campbell is that guy and we has to And then I realized, do you know that Edger and Cooper last year the first middle linebacker off the board went forty fifth overall to Green Bay, and the Cardinals had Jahad Campbell in for a thirty visit. Yeah, I'm wondering if they're thinking, could Johoad Campbell fall to them at forty seven? That would be remarkable, especially since he had some off season shoulder surgery. I'm wondering, just wondering. Those are the kind of things that manias when you look at the visits and you realize the players that are visited and you start thinking, maybe there's the thought pattern of who could fall, and then you have to be poisoned and ready to strike.
Speaker 1: Boy, that is interesting right there. I did not even consider that, Polly, But is that a possibility? Of course it is. And do I like him? Yeah? Absolutely love Johad Campbell, of course. I mean anytime you're talking about a guy that plays in the box the way that he does, with the physicality and the strength that he does at the point of attack. You know, I'm sold. Yeah, this is football. Bring it, bro.
Speaker 4: I just love the vernacular, the language of the draft. It's like all its own, like Daniel Jeremiah on Kenneth Grant quote. Overall there is some assembly required, but his physical tools are very loud and worth the investment. I just love the lexicon of the draft right and the way they And if you love the draft and you love having a good time, we encourage you join us the Draft Party on the Great Lawn YEP Thursday night at State Farm Stadium April twenty fourth. Cardinals players, cheerleaders, Big Red and your co host Adrian Wilson will be out there. Cardinals Legend gates open at four free parking, free admission. Just go to ezycardinals dot com Slash Draft Party. You need a digital ticket Asycardinals dot Com Slash Draft Party Day Pass. Next and the Big Red Rage presented by this Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to land bau Man.
Speaker 4: I wish I'd have known that was coming.
Speaker 1: WHOA, whoa?
Speaker 4: Did you know that was coming?
Speaker 1: I had no idea. I looked up and all of a sudden, a couple of f eighteen hornets right over the stadium.
Speaker 8: I'm surprised you're still alive after that. Whoa Hello, get a doctor in here. I had no idea if that was coming.
Speaker 1: I believe that's buzzing the tower.
Speaker 4: Oh so, legend and lore has it the day Pash actually hit the floor.
Speaker 1: True or false? He was under the counter. Oh, he was under the counter.
Speaker 4: Were they that low or was the crowd mic that good?
Speaker 1: No, they were that low.
Speaker 4: Because it sounded like I mean it most definitely sounded like they buzz the tower. That is the broadcast booth.
Speaker 1: Especially the F eighteen's right there, poly very distinctive tail feather very.
Speaker 4: So where does that come from?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: That was green Bay, the site of this year's NFL draft. That was circa two thousand and six. So here in twenty twenty five, the town of Green Bay will become a city bustling with the NFL draft and wolf. As you know here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. There are a select few people in this world who really sit down behind the scenes, right visit one on one with all these college players. Yeah, get on the field, watch them up close, you know, talk to the coaches who know these players' best And since the GMS and scouts don't talk to us media types, well we go to the broadcasters like Dave Pash ESPN, who has a first hand knowledge of a lot of the guys being mocked at the Arizona Cardinals. Dave, Welcome to the Big Red Rage. And when you hear a lot of these names getting thrown out, do you sort of not you do have knowledge a lot of these guys, don't you?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: First of all, that was like top gun, Maverick level, it was Green Bay, that was Maverick, take it it low and like you're not an for you burn yourself with coffee. Yes, that was awesome in terms of yeah, poly In terms of the names, a lot of them I've either seen on television, I've seen in person, or I talked to as well. There are several of the players that have been mocked to the Cardinals that I've had a chance to meet with more than once. So it's great if you know, you hear these names and you get a sense of who these guys are and whether you have a sense already of whether they fit in with the Cardinals. And I think there are several names I've heard who I had a chance to talk to you personally that I think would be a great fit here.
Speaker 1: So, David, when you think of from a position standpoint, what the Arizona Cardinals are in need of right now, and I know that many Austin Ford says we're not in need of anything yet. At the same time, if you if somebody asked you what you think the Cardinals need, what would you say?
Speaker 5: I my opinion, Wolf is that there are probably four positions the Cardinals would not draft in the first round unless somebody absolutely falls to them that you never thought would be there and that you absolutely have to take a chance on because you couldn't live with yourself if you didn't. And that's quarterback, running back, receiver, and safety. I think we can pretty much cross off those positions for a first round pick. I would say receiver. I'm probably born on that one, but I think more than likely it's not a position that they will take. My guess is they go big offensive line or defensive line, front or front seven. I do think there's a chance of a corner. I don't think you can have too many corners in the NFL these days. You can't have too many pass rushers and you can't have too many offensive linemens. So those are positions of need, but I would say everybody needs those positions. So my guess is the Cardinals will have several players when their name is called and they're up, they left several players they probably have in mind, and they will have made a decision probably at that point, and if not, maybe they look at trading down because if player A is equal to player B and you think you can get player B a pick or two picks later, maybe they make that move and get another draft pick.
Speaker 4: And that's interesting because the Cardinals have a half dozen picks this year versus a dozen picks last year. We know two years ago they got the most rookie starts and rookie snaps out of any draft class. So it just feels like to me, it's more about quality than quantity this year. But yeah, if there's an opportunity to maximize your picks because so many of players are rated similarly, then why not take a couple more bites of the apple at the same time. For example, there's an offensive lineman that you cover it any's sitting there at ten or thirteen, and you know Chicago or Miami is in the market for an offensive lineman. I mean, Dave, do you see a possibility of Montiasa for once again quality over quantity, maybe sacrificing a pick and moving.
Speaker 5: Up, Paulie I do. I think this is the year to go for it. I would have been surprised last year year or the year before if the Cardinals would have moved up to get a player and maybe cost them a draft pick in the first round. But I think if you're going to do it, this is the year to do it. And only Manti asin Ford knows if that guy, who that guy is, and if he's available. We have no clue. They might have somebody that they covet that they feel like as a game changer, and they may already have had conversations with a certain team thinking well, if this team is there and this player's there, that team's not going to take that player. We need to get up there and get him. I think if you're going to do it, the time is now. But at the same time, there is that risk of you know, you just don't know what's going to fall to you if you go and make that move, and so you got to be willing to.
Speaker 4: Live with that risk you mentioned many Austin Ford. I think he's loving it right now because there's seven I count seven position groups that have been mocked to the Cardinals in round on guard, tackle, D line, edge, corner, receiver, and now inside linebacker with Jehad Campbell. So okay, which way nobody really knows And that's the point, that is the plan. In fact, here's Maniasapport just talking about that having that need to draft a specific.
Speaker 9: Position, you can never go wrong adding a good player and a good person. So I learned a long time ago that you know, what is perceived as a need or maybe not as a need one year and fast forward three, four or five months later or a year later, all of a sudden it is a need. And so you know, we injuries happen in this game. You know, player's player movement that happens from year to year. So no matter where it is, if we can add an impact player that checks boxes for us both on and off the field, you know it's never going to be a bad pick.
Speaker 4: He also went on to say, yeah, they have a certain number of guys that they think are worthy of the sixteenth pick overall, and they do the math. If those guys are still there three picks away, four picks away, you know, then they'll stick. If all of a sudden, no, there's not enough guys there, what them boom, they might move out, move back for example, I mean, Dave, what about the prospect we're talking defense here. We know the Cardinals have spent reportedly about one hundred and thirty million in improving their defensive front. Do you think that precludes them from going edge or defensive tackle because this draft is loaded in both positions.
Speaker 5: Again, PAULI, I don't think you can ever have enough of those guys. And having done a lot of SEC games this year, I've seen a lot of these guys. I've talked to a lot of these guys. Walter Nolan is really intriguing and talking with their coaching staff, he really matured and grew this year. James Pearce is a guy that when he's on the field, he's hard to ignore. And I've seen Mox where he goes early. I've seen Mox where he goes late. Lamar Stewart I had Texas A and M against Arkansas in Dallas this year and he is really talented, pretty freakish. And then you've got somebody like John Ay Barron, who you know, again, I've seen him go high and I've seen in mox where he's lower. I think I would probably stay away from corner if it was me. But he's somebody that first of all, fits perfectly with your team. He would be the next host of the Big Red Rage. Great personality, fun and just a terrific player. So those are some of the guys I've seen and talked to that I really like.
Speaker 1: On defense, you know your guard, tackle, d line, edge. You mentioned those four positions right there, and to me, you got me. I'm sold. Give me anything that is on the line of scrimmage right now. It's one of the things that I love. I would love to see the Arizona Cardinals go on the line of scrimmage once again. If it's if it's a first round pick offensively on the offensive line, I'm good to go. If it's the defensive line you want to boaster or an edge, I am good to go on that as well. To me, I think the line of scrimmage is so important right now. And I love the fact that JG loves the line of scrimmage. His spirit position, I believe is what he has said in the past, and I think Manti ausen Ford feels the same way right now. If there was one guy of the butt, guts or the big Harry's David that you would love to see the Cardinals get at sixteen, who would that be?
Speaker 5: Are you talking offensive line or.
Speaker 1: Defensive defensive line specifically in this beautiful part of the program.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I would probably lean towards Walter Nolan. First of all, I think there's a chance he's there. A lot of the other guys are. You're probably looking at lining them up more on the edge as opposed to know one of your three guys with a hand in the dirt, and Nolan to me has big time upside. But we have to remember that they took a first round pick. You used it last year on Darius Robinson, and it really was a last year for him between the injuries and then obviously with what happened with his mother, he dealt with a lot. I still am really bullish on him, and you did add Dalvin Tomlinson, you added two free agents last year. I think I probably lean towards an edge guy as opposed to as you say wolf a butt gutt. Yeah, Walter Nolan really is that because he's a little under three hundred. But I would probably go edge before I go interior defensive line.
Speaker 1: Boy, when I hear you say edge, I think a Shamar Stewart. I really do this guy. I love this guy and watching this guy on tape as well. I understand he only had four and a half sacks. I get that, but when you watch him play, his pressures and his ability to generate that pressure, his bull rush is as good as I have seen and a long time. You take a guy who is two hundred and seventy pounds, almost two hundred and seventy pounds, and he's running up a four or five nine. You gotta be kidding me, man, That is burst right there, and he's got the best bull rush of anybody on the edge. In my opinion, I'd love to see the Cardinals get Shamar Stewart.
Speaker 4: You know the other name that's noticed out there is Michel Williams Georgia. Right, they have two edge rushers out of Georgia. Mckel Williams sixty five two sixty injured his ankle in the very first game of the year, played on a bum ankle the rest of the season was still second team All SEC was a freshman All American three years ago. They just talk about how physically is the burst And I'm wondering, like, if that guy had been healthy the entire year, would he be a guarantee top ten pick? Is their value at sixteen Blue Jews. But it's interesting, Dave. You know Drew stand was on a Red Sea report recently saying, you know, what, where else do you get edge guys? Nobody's given away an edge guy. We had all these reports, Oh maybe you get Miles Garrett.
Speaker 10: Me.
Speaker 4: No, nobody's given up an edge guy. You can only get him in the draft. And after the Rams last year, right got chaired first nineteenth overall. I just think of that edge guys there, and he's legit at sixteen. I agree with you, Dave. I do believe that's where the Cardinals are going, if they're gonna go defense.
Speaker 5: I was a big Jared Verse fan for what he did for that defense at Florida State. And it is interesting. You've got a guyle like Shamar Stewart. I mentioned Wolf that I saw him really talented, bigger guy, and then you have a guy in James Pearce, who's a little lighter, a little bit slippery, a little bit slippery in terms of his ability to get into the backfield where he's not going to just overpower you. But I know people aren't as high on him as they were last year, but I wouldn't sleep on him. I think he's really talented and could be an excellent NFL player for a long time.
Speaker 4: If you'd like to win a Kyler Murray autograph football, the Arizona Cardinals Podcast Sweepstakes now open through April twenty fourth, enter at Azycardinals dot com. Slash listen to win, Asycardinals dot com slash listen to win. We continue with a voice of the Cardinals, Dave Pash. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford. When the Cardinals are looking at number sixteen there give us a gut feel. I mean, how do you think they're going to assess the two thousand and eight NFL Draft and which direction do you think they're going to go?
Speaker 3: First two rounds? You're gonna be able to get a good corner if you're Arizona If Rogers, Carimarti is there. That's who the Cardinals take. You know, even if there's a Kalais Campbell there in the second round, that's a position you got to look at strongly.
Speaker 4: Wow, that was two thousand and eight day Pash two for two on the first two rounds of the Cardinals draft. That was before the draft day. Pash looking into is a crystal football, if you will, and nailing both picks.
Speaker 1: Needs his own mock draft apparently, I know.
Speaker 4: Do are we missing it? Is there a day? Pash?
Speaker 1: One point?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 4: That's out there, mister Pash?
Speaker 5: I mean, oh my well, let's just say I don't recall exactly, but I may have had help on that. I can't remember if I was given any inside information or not.
Speaker 4: But good, well, look, we're talking drafting myself too much credit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Voice of.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals Dave past joins us here in the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Paul calvic Ron Wolfley and Dave you know who Wolfson favor of young man by the name of Tyler Booker. Okay, So, as someone who has called a number of Alabama games over the years, what can you tell us about their standout first team All SEC starting guard.
Speaker 5: I do see why it fluctuates in terms of the opinions about him. I get it, and ultimately, you know, the only thing that's going to matter is, you know, is he a good player or not, Whether he's going in the middle of the first round or the middle of the second round. It's just a financial thing that ultimately it'll cost him. But I think he's good enough based on what I saw. And again I'm not breaking it down Wolf. I know you've talked about how some of the other people you've had on your show that played the position in the NFL are not as high on him as you are. I tend to agree with you that I think he's got a chance to be a really good player and should be a first round pick. But I also see why others have him lower and will I get the concerns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, for me, once again, it's all about production, and he played in a pretty good conference. I would say the SEC with some really good competition. Some good players had seven point one knockdowns per game, seven point one per ninety two knockdowns on the season that led the SEC right there. I mean, this is who this guy is. It's what he's all about. I absolutely love him. Yet at the same time, I could see him falling down draft boards once again, just because of the five, three, eight. Okay, I'm just saying, could I see him down at twenty five twenty seven? Yes? I could. Is it a possibility, that's if you could get him at twenty five? Many Austin Ford might say, what do you say we go go ahead and move back a little bit there and collect some picks and then we'll go get him in the back end. I don't know if that's a possibility. I have no idea how much Mony likes him. I just know I do. I'll make a prediction. I think I feel pretty safe saying he's.
Speaker 4: Not going to fall out of the first round.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: The Lions need a guard, the Chiefs need a guard. He's not getting past those two teams. Heck, I don't think he's getting past eighteen. The Seahawks only addition to their jankie offensive line the entire offseason has been former Cardinal Josh Jones, who's a backup at best. So Seattle. In fact, I think Seattle's a threat to even jump the Cardinals if they think the Cardinals are going on line. You got to look out for Seattle. The other name that's out there is Calvin Banks Junior, the All American life like Kim too. So, Dave, you worked a number of Texas games. What can you tell us about their standout left tackle?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was a game he did not play in where you could really see how much they missed him. This was the previous year. He is very, very talented. He's huge.
Speaker 1: You know, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know about forty times. Does a forty times matter on a tackle? I don't know. I'm not sure that that really matters. Is he a left tackle? Is he a right tackle? Is he a guard? I think that's the other question. I know you want positional versatility, and you've got Paris Johnson now is your left tackle, But I'm just not sure where he plays, and I think he could play a lot of positions. Josh Simmons really intriguing. Do you have the connection already with Justin Fry which is big, but he you know, is coming off injury. You took that chance with Garrett a couple of years ago at the QUS and it worked out great, and maybe, you know, maybe with Josh Simmons.
Speaker 1: You get lucky again.
Speaker 5: But I'll be curious if they go that route with offensive line, if they want somebody that they have that they that they say, this is the position you're going to play, or do they go for somebody who is a guy that can play multiple positions. Because you took Paris Johnson knowing initially he was not going to play left tackle, and he held his own and played really well on the other side, can Calvin Banks be that guy? Is that person Josh Simmons or do you say Tyler Booker is a guard. We're gonna draft him because we think he's the best guard and that's the position we need.
Speaker 4: And I do like the whole scenario or the line of thinking that you know, your first round rookie Kelvin Banks or Josh Simmons could compete to be a starting guard maybe your area of biggest need. And then if Jonah Williams is no longer a cardinal after this coming season, you have the flexibility the possibility moving him out to tackle. And so I like that with both those guys as opposed to a Tyler Booker who's really gonna be a guard his entire career. What about receiver guys. I still the most surprising thing to me. And you know we're from the inside looking out the outside looking in the national media. How many mock drafts have receiver going to the Cardinals at sixteen overall? Well, if you're nodding, isn't that surprising?
Speaker 1: It is to me surprise because once again, I think the need is there for the offensive line. I've said this before, guys, but I truly do believe this. I think the Arizona Cardinals have all the skill they need to go out and be an excellent offense. I think they do. Now could you add one piece that might make it better in terms of the skill positions, Yes, they need a guy who can take the top off. They get a wide receiver who can take the top off, like a Matthew Golden who's running a four to nine right now. And what I love about Matthew Golden he's running a four to nine, and I think he's even faster. He's even faster when he gets in a game. And if you watch him with game tape, he's got game speed. And what I also like, he's got hands that can catch the deep ball because it does you know good, it does you no good if you can't hurt an opposing defense and the only way to hurt him is to catch the ball once you run by them. You need a guy who can do both of those things. I think Matthew Golden is climbing up draft boards even as we speak right now. He might be guys. I think he might be the first wide receiver taking off the board.
Speaker 4: But a good fit day for the Cardinals at sixteen. What says you?
Speaker 5: Well, going back to the last segment, I would be surprised if they took a receiver. I think if they did, Matthew Golden fits because he's different than Marvin Harrison Junior. I think Luther Burden is going to be the best receiver in this draft.
Speaker 1: That's just me.
Speaker 5: Tedoa from Arizona, I think has a chance to be a great player as well. But I think Luther Burden is a special player, having had him at Missouri a couple of times. Here's how I think you have to look at it.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 5: If Kyler Murray is your quarterback going forward, you have to say, how can we help him the most? Where we are picked? Is that by getting an offensive lineman. Is that by building a stronger defense with a corner or a pass rusher or a defensive lineman. Or is that giving him another weapon. I think he's got two weapons that you go into twenty twenty five saying these are two legit guys. I do think Marvin Harrison Junior is going to get better. What the ceiling is, I don't know. But you got him and Trey McBride, and you have James Connor. So is Michael Wilson the next guy there right now? He is? Do you think in this draft you can find somebody that's better than him? Maybe you can, but I just wouldn't use that pick in the first round. Maybe there's somebody in the second round or perhaps later that you really love that you think can coming and be that third or fourth option.
Speaker 4: Dave pash Our guest here the voice of the Cardinals on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert, can't let you go without asking you about the quarterbacks. Because more quarterbacks drafted in the top half of the first round. Guess what more premium position players are pushed down to the Cardinals. A couple of real while card Shador Sanders, Jackson Dart, I know you've worked both their games over the years. What do you think you got a gut feel as to where they're going and whether they're going round one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paulie, I had all three guys this year, cam Ward and Shador, and then Jackson Dart actually had ole miss three times. So I was surprised that Jackson Dark climbed all the way into the first round. Initially just people I had talked to him, kind of watching him, I thought more of a third round prospect when I watched Shador Sanders in person, when I talked to their coaching staff and listened to them praise him and had a chance to be around Shador, I actually thought he's going to be maybe the first quarterback taken. I think cam Ward is the most talented player. I think it's obvious he's going either one or two, and then I will be curious. I don't think Shador drops before or drops below ten. I would be really surprised. I think Jackson Dart might be more ready to play in the NFL, just because of his experience, but I still think Chador has probably got more upside, but it just may take some time, and so if he gets with the right organization, it's willing to be patient. I think that patience will pay off with Shader Sanders.
Speaker 1: David in terms of throwing the ball from the pockets. Which quarterback do you like the best? Do you think that is cam Ward?
Speaker 5: Well, if he's got a lot of in his skill level, his arm talent is off the charts. Now, it's so hard. Well, if you know this, it's so hard.
Speaker 1: Like c J.
Speaker 5: Stroud, I will say, we all made a mistake in listening to a lot of the naysayers. And look, he did have a great year last year. But the one thing that was clear about c J. Stroud by watching him in college, he could win from the pocket. The other guys I'm not sure about. You know, Shador Sanders got hit a ton. I did his ball game where he's in the game, they're getting blown out, he's still in the game late and he's getting hammered. How much of that him? How much of that is the offensive line? That's why I say I'll be curious to know if a lot of those hits and sacks are on him and he's not comfortable in the pocket, cam Ward's comfortable anywhere. I think Jackson Dart probably in terms of just his experience maybe is more ready. You know cam Ward, you think about where he came from before Miami. You know, sometimes those guys you get the one year flash and then all of a sudden they get in the NFL and you're like, huh, how did we misread that? That's why I think Jackson Dart is climbing, because I'm guessing more organizations see him as a sure fit early on than perhaps the other two guys, although I still think cam Ward will be the best of the three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave, you're the best. Appreciate it you, David love the info. If the Cardinals don't take Tyler Booker, we need you to call Wolf and console him. That is Dave Fash, Voice of the Cardinals, will be right back with more. The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford. In Gilbert.
Speaker 6: Quick, the fifth pick in the twenty eleven NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Patrick Peterson.
Speaker 3: Defensive back lsu Savac stros Farsak deflected, picked off Peterson to the thirty five, runs right to the thirty at the twenty five twenty of the fire side, and knocked out a bounce at the fifteen yard line. The ball was tipped and intercepted by Pat P.
Speaker 1: Patrick Peterson stabbed the pig out of the air, did a nice job right there, grabbing it with one hand.
Speaker 4: The former fifth pick overall, Patrick Peterson, who recently retired official like as an Arizona Cardinal, will be in Green Bay, woll He'll be there to announce the Cardinals selections on day two, their second and third round picks. Patrick Peterson will handle it. He says he wants to go into broadcasting. Boom put him to work on NFL Network and Pat P is going to have the Cardinals draft picks there on day two. Welcome back into the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Special Thanks Cardinal's voice, Pash, Paul Calvic and Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: And you know what Pat Pay I think is going to be fantastic at that as well. Anything this guy really puts his mind to or puts his hand to comes out gold for the most part.
Speaker 4: What do you think about corner before we get into other topics in the draft? Look, to me, it's more of a want than a need. But I mean, if you can get someone on caliber with a Pat P, it is remarkable what they can do for your defense. Look what Patrick Sartan the second did and just earning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Right yeah, Sauce Gardner, Derek Stingley. I mean, you know these guys. I mean, if you if Will Johnson is that guy and the only reason he'd be available at sixteen is because he was injured for half of his final season in Michigan. If he's really a top ten or a top five pick, I wonder how intriguing that is.
Speaker 1: De Monti assob I just love Will Johnson as well. This is a big corner bully at six' two over two hundred pounds as, well a guy that can. Run he brings the physicality to the corner position right. There WHAT i also love is he plays very very well in his zone. Room we've talked a little bit about this in the, past but he. Does and this is something THAT i think would really fit well with a cover, three cover four scheme that we See Nick rollis AND jg actually employ from time to time with The Arizona cardinals as. Well they like to play zone and he's really good in playing a zone and jumping. Routes as Mel kiper once, said he's a pick six waiting to.
Speaker 4: Happen, well his comp has Been Christian gonzales and anyone who watched The cardinals win Against New england last. Year Christian gonzalez was a. Dude, yes he was their best player on the field to me, Anyway Michael wilson speaking of, corners, Right Michael wilson has gotten a two year indoctrination into THE. Nfl in, FACT i asked, him what's your biggest takeaway so far that you'd share with an incoming. Rookie you just, said attention to, Detail how the little things matter so much more in THE nfl than the college. Game you're not going to be physically, dominant it's those little. Things it's the point one percent that can make the difference in a. Play it is really in a student answer as you might expect. It, YEAH i mean he's you, know stand for, yep AND i guess. What he has two other teammates from his college class who are now in the room who Are cardinals. Receivers but here he. Is when he was asked about getting drafted and just how special an experience it.
Speaker 1: Is it's a special week for.
Speaker 10: Sure getting the call is definitely a life changing moment and one, of if not the greatest feeling of my life in that. Moment And i'll forever be indebted to The cardinals organization and money for changing my life that.
Speaker 4: Day, well give us a quick, recollection, RIGHT i, mean that's one thing you can never take away from a, player.
Speaker 1: That moment you're, Drafted. Polly it's an incredible, feeling it truly. IS i remember WHEN i received the phone call From Larry. WILSON i didn't believe it was Actually. LARRY i, said knock it. OFF i thought it was one of my friends actually playing a joke on. Me, no, No, ron we just drafted you in the fourth. Round you, know whatever it. Is I'LL i was so. EMBARRASSED i remember as well my Brother, craig my older Brother, craig on draft, day of, course getting drafted in the fifth. Round his agent had told him he could go as high as a third, round so we all were just so nervous that he didn't go in the, third and he didn't go in the, Fourth and here it was the fifth round and he went walking down into the gravel pit behind our backyard and suddenly the phone, rang and there is my Sister Joy may picking up the, phone and all of a, sudden she's talking and answering some questions in very terse kind of, way and she starts giving us the thumbs, down the thumbs, down and all of us were just so. Disappointed it was The Pittsburgh. Steelers it Was Chuck nole after, that he just won his Fourth Super, bowl ring saying we've just drafted your, Brother, craig and she's giving us the thumbs. Down those are some draft day recollections right. There she didn't know who he, Was she didn't know who The steelers, were and the fact they had won Four Super. Bowls she just knew it wasn't The buffalo. Bill, OH i get.
Speaker 4: It she wanted him to go to the. Hometown, STRIGHT i get.
Speaker 1: It oh my.
Speaker 4: Goodness, well look it's gonna be a very special. Evening what exactly is in, store we don't. Know we do, know, though to come full circle on the, show that we're already because already we've had the over, analysis a, yeah and the over evaluation of some of these, quarterbacks Right, WOLF i, mean over the, years think of some of the quarterbacks that have been, overdrafted Right Trey lance And Mitchell trubisky And Anthony richardson And Zach.
Speaker 1: Wilson and you know, what, Though, polly it's not just the quarterback. Position it really is. Not it's it's all of the. Positions these. Guys you sit here and you stare at the sun long, Enough, paul you are going to start to see. Speckles you're gonna start seeing dots around. You AND i think there's a lot of truth in that in regard to a scout or a general manager that continues to look at too much film and over analyze it to some, point you're going to start poking holes in something you probably should.
Speaker 4: Not and you know, what that's a great point because look at some of the home runs you can get on day, two in day three of this, Draft look what The rams have done. RECENTLY i had a chance To i'm seeing event With David, johnson former round three running back who was preceded two years earlier By round three Safety Tyron. Matthew think of some of the all time draft, Picks Buddha baker in round. Two, yeah think of some of the ballers that have come out Of day, two in day, three and that's it's one thing to have your first round, Pick, okay and there's so much awareness and knowledge of those. Players where A gm really builds a championship. TEAM i think it was These eagles First Super, bowl Recent Super bowl in twenty. Seventeen the stat was there were eighteen starters in That Super bowl that have been drafted On day two Or day. Three, yes playing in That Super. Bowl so that's where teams are really constructed from the back, end in the back part of the.
Speaker 1: Draft. Yeah it's also kind of cool, though once again to see many Aussen ford hitting on picks, one hitting on picks two and. Three you, KNOW i know That Darius, robinson you can look at it last year and you can, Say, okay that was kind of a throwaway season for him right there with all the injury. Issues yet at the same, time that story is yet to be written and we're gonna SEE i think this next, year this coming year is going to be a big step For Darius. Robinson but, Man moni's done a good job in terms of making those picks.
Speaker 4: Count all, Right so speaking of a pick that, counts you're going With Tyler booker at, sixteen, Correct that's. Right i'm Going James Pierce junior out Of. Tennessee i'm going edge at sixteen and then they'll find a guard at forty. Seven, Okay Special banks is always not Only Dave Pasch voice of The, Cardinals executive Producer Jim, Amhundro associate Producer Cody, Fincher technical Director Evan, Reiser Ron. Wolfley I'm Paul. calBC let there be AN nfl. Draft it is The Big Red rage presented By Santan ford And. Gilbert we are Santan, ford.
Speaker 2: J'aul you've been listening To The Big Red rage presented By Santan bord And gilbert right on the, price right on the corner of The santan two to two freeway and valves. Stay The rage is brought to you By Arizona Cardinals. Podcast Visit azycardinals dot com slash.
Speaker 1: Podcast we're gonna see a little big red rage football right.
Speaker 2: Here this has been an exclusive presentation of The Arizona cardinals Football clark