Speaker 1: On today's episode The Command Center Podcast, we talk joint practices, what we like, what we don't like, and then we also talked about the preseason game.
Speaker 2: How to watch them, who to watch, why they're important, what did the watch thing you think for those bottom of the for those bottom of the roster guys, and we talked about why wins when the preseason are not important and maybe why they're less important than fabrics offten or your appendix.
Speaker 1: Fan all starts right now. Welcome to The Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulsinger with Fred Smoot and Santana Moss are live from training camp. What's up, fans? You said, Hi, Yeah, thank you, fans are here. Exciting to have the fans here. And then Fred like, nice day at training camp, not sweaty, no bugs.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, it's the coolest training camp day I think ever recorded in the Asburg.
Speaker 4: It has to be. I don't think. I know. I didn't take part in the cool but.
Speaker 1: You always had a like one day where you're like, oh man, this feels even down in Richmond.
Speaker 5: Rained it yeah, it rained this day.
Speaker 4: It just like was a cool day to the last couple of days.
Speaker 5: Now I must say the last few days. Man, they've been getting in pretty nice. It's sweet eye here man, because I came out here Saturday and it was just the nicest of all days since since I've been here.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's two days in a row.
Speaker 1: It's very, very nice and so obviously good for the players, good for us, and in this tent. Now let's do a little bit of admin, housekeeping, whatever you want to call it. So People's uh, People's Choice podcast nomination. Thank you guys so much for voting that that result is in votings closed. We'll find out today or tomorrow, will probably update you on our next show. We had over almost a thousand people vote, man, on a very short turnaround. So we appreciate it so much. We really appreciate we do. We really appreciate it. And the prizes will be coming. We'll figure out, you know, the fifty footballs, the shirts, the experience, the experience. We'll get that to you as soon as we can. But you know, again, like like Fred said, we really appreciate you guys showing out for us, like we have the best fans. So thank you.
Speaker 4: Nick.
Speaker 3: You're coat right there right there, used it to get your tikis through this show.
Speaker 4: So you're gonna get them anyway. Now, by the way, up get them through us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was gonna say that you guys did a great job showing out for the voting. Yeah, just use the use the QR code. Man, you guys watch the show, just use that thing.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 1: It helps us out so much, mas important thing. So if you.
Speaker 4: Get it through the QR Santana, man's gonna get you autograph.
Speaker 1: WHOA I want that? Maybe?
Speaker 4: Yeah That's all I had to them.
Speaker 1: Okay, And now we got a really exciting event coming up live at the Muni. August twenty second, we have our next live show for the Command Center podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Last time we did at the Muni, it was absolutely packed.
Speaker 4: I enjoy at the Muniya really need so.
Speaker 1: Make sure you guys get there early. It's gonna be an event. It's right before the preseason game against uh is it against Tuesday the Baltimore Ravens. Right, So makes you guys come, makes you guys come early. It's gonna be awesome. It's really starting the season off. So do start the season off with us. Man, we really love to see you. So makes you come out to the Muni. What's up?
Speaker 6: We had a fan ask if they are season ticket holders and they can't use a QR code to buy tickets, aready got tickets? How can they support us? Come out to the MUNI come out to our show. I love to have you there. It's always a great event. Like it's a little bit different than what we do here.
Speaker 3: I'm always living at swag. So if you won't like some exclusive swag, we always give them out in our show that we do on the road, especially in DC.
Speaker 5: And I tell you, like this, there's nothing better than watching us live because if you laughing with us when you're watching us, you know through YouTube, trust me, you're gonna be in tears live.
Speaker 4: Listen to this clown over here.
Speaker 3: Hey, I don't gonna say it's bring the tissue, which bring your own tissue.
Speaker 1: So yeah, thanks for voting, get your tickets, use a QR code. Look at the description and the muty August twenty second. Start the football season off with us. We'd really appreciate it. H Now, we've got some stuff to talk about, specifically joint practice, and it's always we talked about it pretty much.
Speaker 4: I think we all three of us feel different about it. I know Santana hate stem.
Speaker 1: I think with Santana, I thought you was a meal. So so for me, I understand why coaches like joint practices, but as a player man, it wasn't my jim. I know you, like I.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed going against other players because the one thing I did a good job is I had a tamil that I kept my whole career that I would update on players, and I could get no more intimate information than on you than practicing against you.
Speaker 1: So the thing that used to get me Tanna was like I never knew the tempo because it's like.
Speaker 4: When you were on hand once meet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what I'm saying is like you come out to practice right and all of a sudden it's like, hey, we're gonna like I remember we had a joint practice against the Patriots, and it's like, hey, we're gonna do live, we're gonna do live special teams. And then all of a sudden we get out right before practice, like hey, kickoff return won't be live, the wedge won't be live. Right, So you got guys coming down and our guy went with their group and absolutely obliterated the wedge and got dog cussed. So then I was like, well, are they gonna retaliate against UF So they're gonna do something different. And that's how every day was, because like when you're doing those physical positions and you can get embarrassed, guys.
Speaker 4: What you feel like?
Speaker 3: It was always about I didn't know the tempo and how's this team gonna gage just compared to Gay?
Speaker 1: Right, So do you remember when we had against who was it Houston? Do you remember that one where there's a big fight were I was just so huge fight at Houston. So the first day we get out there and we like we put it on him a little bit. We put them on him a little bit. So you know, usually it's like, hey, no, it's not super competitive, we're not gonna fight. They were Houston was on hard Knocks that year. Yeah, mill O'Brien's in the MIDI room, like, you guys got embarrassed. That's ridiculous. So the next day they come out like gangbusters. And then the third day it was like it was gonna there was no way it wasn't gonna be a fight. There was no way it wasn't gonna be a full brawl because you just it just ramped up.
Speaker 4: The emotions with it, and.
Speaker 1: To me, that's why it's so important when you do these you got to do them with someone that you trust, right, And dan Quinn talked about Mike Rabel. He's like, I can trust Mike Rabel because like he's gonna do it the right way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's one of my main reasons that I didn't like them, because it's one thing to get ready for another team when you're playing a game or preseason.
Speaker 1: Game because you know the standard.
Speaker 5: But in practice, you can't tell me one period of live, next period shut down, because guess what, somebody on one of them sides are gonna take advantage of you and say, all right, I'm gonna go live now since he's not going live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's what you got.
Speaker 5: You got guys that's trying to make a play, that's trying to make a team, and so just scratch that. I don't want to be out there with you until I have to see you in the preseason.
Speaker 3: But I think I think the coaches get so much from it because they can literally like run game plan. I feel doing some stuff that I can't do in the like that makes no sense for me to do in the preseason game it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: It's hard for the players, I think, But for the coaches, yeah, and for Adam, they'll get the critique of oh my gosh, it's invaluable.
Speaker 4: And I get to study the players on the other team.
Speaker 1: So I understand that I don't get it twisted. Yeah, I understand the value of it. Like we get to run actual red zone, actual two minute, actual third down, call one on one, feel different, and it's awesome. It's great evaluation. It's great for the coordinators, it's the best. But for players it is like this weird line. And then the other thing I was thinking about, were you here when we played New England? Do you hear of that one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I remember New England in seven on seven they'd bring nine guys over and Jay Gruden was just.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, because they had the defensive menions.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, And so as a tight end, I'd line up in a three point stance. The defensive end who would normally rush with Jammy to the middle linebacker who was like DeVante high Tower would hear hold me, I'd been like a double vice, like a gunner getting into my route obvious PI. And then Jay couldn't say anything to Jake go to Belichick and so so Belichick. We were just like the scout team for Belichick's the the New England Patriots when I was out there. Yeah, and so it's so important to have like guys you trust, guys you get get work with. And it sounds like Dan feels that way about I.
Speaker 5: Also remember two when we went through those practices. I remember that preseason game we couldn't kind of take a toon. Yeah we did, you know, we kind of had a we had we had a better out and in them Now in practice you couldn't see it, but when we got in that preseason game, we looked like the better team. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And again like so that's where that's where it's for me. Is I mean, but you liked it as a player, and I think.
Speaker 3: It makes for a better preseason game because, like you said, you retching it up at practice and the guys be like, I can't wait, Like I can't wait until we get out of here Sunday. So I can make you feel it, you know what I'm saying. So I think both teams are more emotionally invested into that preseason game because of the practices doing the week, because of the fights, because of the scuffles, because of everything that goes on.
Speaker 4: So I think it's this Blesses in his minuses.
Speaker 1: I did feel more invested in the game and I felt like I knew what they were doing. Yeah, I felt like I knew the personnel and I felt like I knew the blitzer they were gonna run.
Speaker 4: So like like you had a real week of study, like a game week.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, Like I felt like I was really ready to go. So for the preseason game, I was locked in. But in the week you're.
Speaker 3: Just like, while y'all out there with your friends on, I'm out there just job.
Speaker 1: You didn't have to talk to anybody, don't have to do anything.
Speaker 4: But you know they would.
Speaker 3: We would do a couple of live drills and when when the teams came over, we were a couple of lives the ground to the ground.
Speaker 5: Sometimes, Yeah, we was out there. I remember we got into a drill thing. It was a two minute drill in practice in a live or you know that live practice. And I remember I forgot the guy name is. He's a cornerback. He played for a while. He grabbed me every which way I went. He was just tugging on me, and I'm like, bro, first of all, it's practice, yeah. Second of all, I'm trying to make it to the preseason game, so I kind of like saying something to him, like but he apologized immediately.
Speaker 4: Then you get one of his his buddies.
Speaker 5: I don't apologize. That's how we coming. So I'm sitting there in linel like and then that started pre and pr went this is what I'm talking about. I got these little pit bulls over here that's ready to eat somebody's face off. But I'm just trying to tell, buddy, be mindful who you who you covering. If you can't cover me, don't pull me. But that's the reason why I hated it going against guys like that in practice, because I'm saying to myself. With my own guys, I can talk to them and say, look, man, let's trying to save each other, you know, for you know.
Speaker 1: For the game or whatever, and also for you, Tanner, and maybe for Smooth too. It's like if I'm a young guy and I see Sattana Mossa, like I'm trying to make a name for my thing. Yes, but I'm trying to make him look bad.
Speaker 3: And I'm not mad at that, like they go to thing about it, They go to the hint of competition there's not.
Speaker 5: There when there's not another team, which I'm all for, but just do it the right way, you know what I mean, covering me without having a.
Speaker 4: Pull on me so I can hurt my hamstrings or something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So obviously incredibly important, like knowing the coach you're going with, like knowing there's gonna be no shenanigans, knowing that they're gonna be on message. That's super important. Another couple questions like that is like what are they like. We talked a little bit about like what we don't like about them, but let's talk about the structure of the joint practice. And to me, it's like if you've been to any practice, it's like you got your warm up, you got your team run maybe nine on seven, depending what the coach is. Then you do one on one, yeah, maybe seven on seven, and then it's like it kind of follows a normal practice structure. Yeah, a little scaly, but the practice structure follows kind of a mix of your practice and yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a hybrid form of it, but it's a lot of work. Getting completed, and that's what I did like about bless you. I'm gonna get a lot of work done and that's all that matters to me.
Speaker 5: I think one of the things that stood out about our practice that time when we went against the Patriots was how we walked to the next drill and they were sprinting, like almost every time you heard that whistle blow, you didn't see a guy from the Patriots walking and I was walking over there like like that's the difference.
Speaker 1: When that's the difference that I'm glad you brought that up because I remember going to New England and it was like everything was crazy sharp, like the receivers with Tom Brady, the protections of communication, and you were just like, oh.
Speaker 4: I'm talk Tom go off on Edelman. I'm like, Lord, have mercy, that's what they're doing over there.
Speaker 3: But it was a difference in Tom going out on Edelman and r G three running in selling myself. It was a tone why he cheering the crowd on Like one was raisor shop and focus, the other one was just we.
Speaker 1: Was out yeah man. And so that's kind of the structure different different for different teams. The intensity is something we just talked about. It definitely goes up, but it's kind of in this weird like it's not it's not a game, it's not a practice.
Speaker 3: And I can't put bad fem out there, like the Eye in the Sky dolt Lie. And I think that's what really had me going, is I can't put that bad felm out there.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to gauge it.
Speaker 5: I'm saying to myself, I only practice hard, So no matter who you are, I don't have a pro practice and hard. I'm just trying to gauge, like, do I give an effort in this drill? Like I gave an effort in the last year, which is hard to do because they're telling you, Okay, we're gonna take this one off.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to get a guy with another uniform, and so it's hard to take that.
Speaker 1: Is he gonna take it off? That's the thing too. So all of a sudden you're like, I'll go a little bit harder, He'll go a little bit harder, and then all of a sudden, the Joe's full speed. And that's the thing that always drove me nuts. And like Freddie talked about this, the work's always really I feel like the work is really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the work is good.
Speaker 1: The only concert, like everything about it, drawing practice is good, like the working able to gain from a playbook standpoint, the coaching, all those things are really important. The only thing is like you don't know drill to drill. That's the only negative thing about it. Everything else is positive, And.
Speaker 4: I understand it.
Speaker 3: It's a tempo in fluctuation there and I totally understand. But I think, like y'all said, when you're doing it with the right team, the two head coaches out on the same and we get the same message out a wee around.
Speaker 1: And that's what Dan said about Mike Graveley said, as a coach, you're going to work with someone who does it the right way and has good sessions. And that's exactly what Mike Rabel is, you know, and like they know each other.
Speaker 3: That's why I always enjoyed my sixtion with the Ravens because it was up tempo. You know, they gonna be physical regardless, so it was always kind of high stakes feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so obviously really excited for the joint practice. Again, that's a great opportunity for some down the roster guys just to get to get some real competitive reps and do some stuff. But then also we get to the preseason, and the preseason game is going to be interesting coming off because I don't know what they're gonna do. We don't know yet who's gonna play, who's not gonna play.
Speaker 3: Usually the first team doesn't play a lot the week that you you practice with a team, because you get most of your first team practice.
Speaker 1: Talking about that real quickly.
Speaker 4: So this is what happened.
Speaker 3: That's why I think these practice are so good because by the time the preseason game come, I know we ain't got that from drive. We already did our work, and we did our work in secret, and we did more detailed work. So I think, well, we're gonna get into second team and maybe a couple of first teams people out there that they want to see. Maybe we play a different position, but it's gonna be mostly second team. I think started the game out second to what the Chargers did.
Speaker 1: I got a real question for you, both guys, does Jade and Daniels need to play in the preseason if we're doing all these joint practices, because that's what they in the second game, just for the process.
Speaker 3: Just for just so the new guys that didn't play with him know his cadence get a little game action in like.
Speaker 1: I guess that's not just for him, it's also for like yo.
Speaker 3: And you see, I don't want him to to get in the thing where he starts off slow, because see Joe Burrow does this sometime. Never play in the preseason then, and the Bengals start off slow in the first five four games. I would read for him to play in the second game and not the third game. I think it's cool for him to get out there and get a couple of reps. I mean, true, I don't want to see him out there the whole entire you know, first quarter or nothing like that.
Speaker 5: But if you get him out there and get him a drive going and then get him off the field, that to me. I know everybody's wired differently, but to me, I used to have a little chart in my head of that preseason Game one I did six players, Game two I did fifteen.
Speaker 4: Game three was Game three was that big game for us?
Speaker 5: I did a half or I did up to you know, halftime, and I'm like, okay, we went, I'm ready to go. So I'm not sure if he gets that kind of gratification out of it, but I would like to see it for the sake of just the team alone as a whole. So y'all can, like you said, get familiar with him, his cadence. Yeah, you know what he sees and certain coverages. I mean, they're not gonna show a lot, They're gonna be vanilla, you know what I mean. But still you want to be out there with them and live bullets thrown at you so you can get I don't kind of temperament how things to pretty much be expected.
Speaker 4: I just don't want him to his first pass the debo to be in week one. Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Well, I remember, like with Tom Brady and even Paid Manning, like they wouldn't do preseasons because they had done him the joint practice, and so like are you protecting him or which I.
Speaker 3: Could understand them not putting in the game because of the joint practice. And that's why I say, the joint practice, you get so much more out of them that I can see them saying, this is the preseason game. I works list all this work we just did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. But again, like to tennis point in your original point, like there's something about putting the helmet on, getting under the lights, being in the stadium. Yeah, just getting that it's back.
Speaker 3: Like at one point, it has to say it's back more than just a training camp, Like you have to be some game preparation in there, and I don't care for like I said, I do not care for just for one, I want to see him out there.
Speaker 4: As a UNI.
Speaker 5: I love anticipating, just knowing that I'm gonna be in that hotel room the night before, I'm gonna have to eat my pregame meal, like all that stuff was routing that I look forward to because it's something that I'm used to. And he, like you said, even if it's one draft, three plays that who cares, It's just get me back into rhythm of things.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting point too, because like again, like your whole process starts right like what I want to eat? What time do I want to get to the stadium. He kind of worked that out in the preseason, so yeah, maybe even though like he doesn't need to play a ton, just working that process might not be a bad idea. So this game is interesting to me, and I hope Drake made plays for them because like I remember doing the draft stuff last year and it was like we're going back and forth, so many good quarterbacks, and like Drake may had his people that thought he should have been the first pick overall, and obviously there's some guys that thought they And now they're going to see each other. I mean, we'll see if they end up playing, but I like, what's the expectation for them? And like, how excited are you watch some of these guys from New England.
Speaker 5: I think I think when it comes down until we'll be able to see them in practice, that's probably gonna be the biggest thing East other I'm not sure how much they gonna put on Drake Drake Mayder go out there in the preseason game either, but practice is probably gonna be must see, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be up tempo. It's gonna be up tempo.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be seeing them getting the oos and I gonna get our oos and ohs. But as far as preseason game one, I don't know. I don't I really don't know what to expect because I don't know how they how they're looking at things going forward. Just with Drake Maye, you know, having a productive year last year, he was pretty productive.
Speaker 4: So dude, they need to see more in the preseason game or not.
Speaker 3: I think they don't, Like you said, getting all them reps in practice. I think they're gonna love that bit. And I told you I went out on the limb and said, twenty twenty four quarterback class is the best quarterback clans of all time. I think it has a legit change the wag Bo Nicks and Michael Pennix and those guys.
Speaker 4: We finally get to see J J. McCarthy. I think they will have a great group.
Speaker 3: But I'm interested to seeing our wide receiver group versus Christian Gonzales Carton Davis.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be a good match up right there.
Speaker 3: We was all high on Trey vo Henderson coming out, so watching him run the ball and step Vun Diggs. I told that our defensive cks got some questions that need to be asked when it comes to step Vun Diggs in the West, you know, whide receivers in New England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think this is always like a cool opportunity, like you're saying, I think the joint practice will touch on this too, but like Trey Amos versus a guy in Stephan Diggs who's had six thousand New York seasons. Yeah, it's gonna be different than the way Deebo does it, right, Yeah, most definitely How to see match up with someone who's like got that nuance route running, you know, And I'm not saying Stephan Diggs is still a top ten wide receiver, but no, he.
Speaker 4: Should run round sugar. He can run right. Get that dog in him, you know what I mean? He won those guys. He's gonna bring his He's gonna bring his heart head in his lunch.
Speaker 3: But no, you better get ready when stephunn coming. He goes fun fake y'all. The state of Maryland say it's all about crab cakes and football. Well, step Vun Diggs might be the closest thing to a Hall of Fame with that they have, like they have zero Hall of Famers in the state of Maryland.
Speaker 4: Step Vun Diggs is the closest. Day.
Speaker 1: It's kind of unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So I think that worked, Like that's the matchup, like in the week of practice, I'm excited to watch. I don't know how much they'll play in the game. That's the thing about these preseason games, like coming off a joint practice, especially, like how much are they gonna play? But I'd love to see that matchup, how the defense handles it. Yeah, you know treyvon will dude, Will Campbell. Right, here's the fourth pick overall this year, the tackle with short arms, like yeah, do we put him in the blender? And one on ones like I don't know.
Speaker 4: Don Frankie, Frankie jump over him? Like I love saying is it's some good tests.
Speaker 3: When it comes to New England, they have re riot and rebuilt their roster.
Speaker 4: There's gonna be a respectable team. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so the other thing i'd say too, like if the starters aren't playing right. I had a fan today actually out on the field here asked me, like, who should we watch in the preseason? Obviously I like to watch the other team because like the draft and the young players they've had and how to build a team. But for the commanders, to me, it's literally like just those those fringe guys like watch your Tyler Owens, watcher Kane Madronald, watch Brooks, Yeah, watch Brooks, watch Bill. That's exactly right. Chris Rodriguez. Can he make a name for himself?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: And so Mike stratchon the big tall wide receiver, we was talking about it Lee what's his name? Yeah, from UCLA Yeah yeah, but a little running back. So all those guys I think would be really interesting if you're a Commanders fan, because all those guys are fighting for their lives. Yeah, so they should be putting their best foot forward. Who makes the big play, who finds the explosive opportunity? And again, like that's why I like the preseason is for those guys.
Speaker 3: No, I like to watch these guys and listen, every guy out there has a chance to turn them up into Victor Cruz. We watched Victor Cruz take a preseason beat people like a drum and turn into a Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so another question I got from a fan out here on the field today was how do we watch a preseason game? We just talked about watching some of the guys. You know what I mean, who you should be looking for? Name you should be looking at, But like, what are the coaches looking for or in a preseason game?
Speaker 5: I think one of the biggest thing we talk about this every year, alignment and assignment? You know, how do you follow instructions? How do you play a kitchen to detail?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: The things, the things that we see these guys out here practicing for. That's something of the same things. Coach gonna be like, let me see if I could put him in a game in the in the heat of the moment and he remembers the assignment or third and loan, he knows that we had to check off or something because we saw something different. You know, do he know? Do he know everything? Is he ready for the test? Is he ready to be quizzed on the fly?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: And I think that's what preseason games are because.
Speaker 5: Some of the things you can't really predict the outcome of what's gonna happen or what's gonna transpire and can we change things on the fly.
Speaker 1: Sorry to everyone's excited about Jadon Daniels walking by.
Speaker 3: I totally understand when the Jedi is in your presence, Jedi, But I think when it comes to a coach looking at a team, I mean looking at his team, he want to see candle the players, the young players, correct the mistakes they make it practice and you know what they would get players cut continuously making the same mistakes. Can you go correct yourself on the run in Folk Corton and can't you bring them from what you do on the practice field to.
Speaker 4: The game field.
Speaker 1: And I think the other element here that like I couldn't agree with both you guys more alignment. Assignment is the main thing. I also think there's a physical element though that you want to see. Like I think about cave Vedrono. You've talked about him on every show. Yeah, at practice he looks amazing, Like the way he covers, the way he moves, He's got great ball skills. Yeah, I want to see him put the put the ride down on.
Speaker 4: You want to see him swap paint.
Speaker 1: That's what I want to see, man, You know what I mean? Can you figure it out? It was the question coming out of college, and you know, and the other one is like running backs too, is like the physicality of the position. Can we pick up a blitz? How do we break a tackle?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Because everyone says Bill looks right out here, and he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's a pillow fight, Like you're right, it's a certain positions on the football field.
Speaker 4: I can't gauge into his real is real.
Speaker 3: I can't gauge you're running back and tell you how good he is until I see him wrong behind his pass.
Speaker 1: Or even like with the offensive line, tanna, like any position that requires a certain amount of physicality, like I gotta see it.
Speaker 4: I think that's one.
Speaker 5: I think that's one group of guys that they don't get a night off, you know what I mean. It don't matter, It don't matter if this is an exposition or if it's the real thing. The office in D line don't get a night off. So that's gonna be very interesting too, just to see. You know, we keep talking about depth and how many guys that we have. It's gonna be great to see the different lineup that they throw out there together, you know what I mean. Maybe some of those guys who projected to start don't even play at all, you know, depending on if Jayden's out there or not, or maybe they do.
Speaker 4: Maybe they still.
Speaker 5: Protect the other guy, you know, Marcus, Yeah, Marcus or whoever else going to be, you know, the second or third guys.
Speaker 3: So these pass and these practices give guys like connorly.
Speaker 4: Chance to change the narrative because.
Speaker 3: I can only show you I'm physical by actually being physical. So that's why I like padded practice. That's why I like the game situation. It gives players like this saying to say, now I'm actually ahead of where you think I am. I just couldn't showcase it because we ain't have pants out man.
Speaker 1: Janden Daniels a popular You earn it. You don't just get that, Like, I'm kind of disappointed that he's out here because I can't hear your guys great analysis. While he's talking. It's so loud. Now it's starting to quiet down. He must have gone. The other thing is, like you talked about this on the Command Center show, Tanna is like, you know, when you were a veteran, you got to sit back and kind of watch the young guys play. How do those young guys, those guys that are trying to make a practice squad, maybe trying to make the you know, the sixth linebacker, the fifth linebacker, the fourth the fifth edge rusher, how do those guys stand out to you and make and say I deserve to be on the roster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we always I'm pretty sure y'all did the same thing in you'all room, but we took pride in our room to see how guys excel that night, you know, I mean, especially we know you're gonna get a lot of reps, like this is your time to show coaches that like like you say, the Dini's guy online put it on, put good stuff on tape, which we didn't use the stuff word. We used something else. But I used to love man just watching those guys. Like we had a guy we call bombs over Bad that I'm not sure he was around. We had that one wide receiver. He was from Atlanta, Georgia, and he was a rapper. Remember I forgot his name, Ross Red or Red or one of them like that. But if bombs are bad day, he would get on the field and he was gonna bomb.
Speaker 4: Someone was in Ross Rocket want Rocket Ross?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, I remember the same type of deal man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we just love to see our guys have a good night.
Speaker 5: So that's what I'm looking I'm looking forward to seeing those guys who gonna get more opportunities to say, Okay, I'm making the case for one of these positions.
Speaker 4: I'm making a case for the practice squad, whatever it may be. You know what I mean. We took pride in then in our room and I love to see it.
Speaker 3: We always told our guys this, if you don't make this squad, make it hard for the other thirty one to turn you down because when you come out here and play on TV, they watch it. They scouts are paid to watch you. So it's more than just our team this way. And we know from playing that fifty three can be a true number crunch, like like we can have a guy that's waiting on I hard, and the reason the fifty third guy don't make the team because we got to keep a roster spot for this guy.
Speaker 4: So it's just a numbers game.
Speaker 3: So I always tell them play like your life depending on it, because it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're definitely her football life. And that's and and so for people watching at home, people say, well, how do I know if a guy is doing a good job? And I think the easiest way, quite honestly, is this the guy you're interested in? Making plays? Like are they making receptions? Are they making blocks?
Speaker 4: Are they tackle?
Speaker 1: Are they making tackles? Usually if they are, that's a really good sign that they're they're making moves. Yea, you know me.
Speaker 3: And the amount of playing time a coach gives you, I call it opportunity. Give you all of this opportunity, take advantage because guess what next.
Speaker 4: Week they might want to get a guy behind you.
Speaker 1: Those real that's right, that's absolutely right. So obviously, like to me, the preseason is so much fun because you have to watch all these guys play. But something that fans always ask is do preseason games wins or losses matter matter? And and our guy producer Jason came up with a with a great segment and it's he thinks because Jason thinks that this doesn't matter. And I agree with preseason games wins and losses don't matter.
Speaker 4: But the wins and losses purely don't matter.
Speaker 1: So the scot the scoreboard does not matter. No like you could. But if let it feel good if you win. It does feel good if you win, but I think about it. So a great example is the Hall of Fame game. Right, if you are the Chargers, you feel great because everyone held the standard of play. Right. You were physical, you were tough, you were well executed, you made plays. If you're Detroit as a coach, you're probably pissed off.
Speaker 4: Coach Campbell, he got on them.
Speaker 1: It was a mess.
Speaker 4: Yes it wasn't And guess what.
Speaker 3: Everybody felt like Detroit were gonna take a list of bet because when you lose your offensive coordinator and your defensive coordinator, you got to get too new coordinated with with a whole new system in here.
Speaker 4: Hey, you lost Reck, No listen to me.
Speaker 3: The center rack though retiring is gonna be one of the biggest reasons that they take a step back.
Speaker 1: But what I will say is that didn't play, Jamison Williams, didn't play, Jared Goff didn't play. So ultimately, ye know, ultimately, I think they figure it out and they played good football this year, the Detroit Lions. But I think to your main point, it's like I remember playing the preseason games and we'd lose the game, but like we played a physical, tough, competitive bout and just the ball didn't go our way. And I feel like, as a coach, you can be happy with that, right.
Speaker 5: It's like this, man, although that it doesn't matter, you still feel so good coming off of that preseason game.
Speaker 4: When you gotta win.
Speaker 5: That first day of back to camp just makes everybody stiff. And when you don't trust me, you don't want to be out there. Because now coaches they have one they want to chew you out for every little thing you do, and they're gonna they're gonna call it this is the reason why you look like this in the preseason. It's the reason why we couldn't line up. So I think one of the things that mattered to me most so than winning the game is just looking apart, going like I said before, lining up in the right place, carrying out my assignment, playing with the right kind of intensity.
Speaker 4: You know, if you go out there and play with like your hair on fire, I'll do us.
Speaker 5: A preseason game. If you give us a chance to win the game, then I have nothing to say about if we don't.
Speaker 1: And I think that's a great point because like it doesn't matter, like like you winning or losing the first preseason game doesn't matter. If you doesn't mean you're going to the super Bowl. Yeah, but I do think it is as it's definitely a vibes thing in the building, which is important. But in honor of the preseason, we're gonna do a draft. We have a special guest coming on today. It's no longer intern Caroline, it is it is producer Caroline. So Caroline, thank you so much for coming out and the reason Caroline's here is because we're gonna do a draft of things. Much like the preseason wins and loss record, they does not matter.
Speaker 4: They just don't matter anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's gonna be entering Caroline for this show forever. Sorry, Caroline, because I don't want to remake the graphic, so it's just going to be entered Caroline.
Speaker 1: Caroline, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but the idea of to set this up, why I brought Caroline here. The idea is that like wins and losses don't matter, but people get really hyped up about it. Like you said, Like I agree with you, guys, Like I hear what you're saying. The vibes matter, Like playing well matters. I'm not talking about you can play bad in the preseason and it doesn't matter. I'm just saying, if you're in the l column, who cares, Just as long as you're getting out of that preseason game what you need to get out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So that being said, what are some other things? Doesn't have to be football or related that is popular or that people believe is important, but it's meaningless. It just means nothing.
Speaker 4: All right, I got one right off the bed. Your appendix is useless.
Speaker 1: Actually, they've found out that it's not useless anymore.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, it wasn't useless for thirty Now we needed what for teared.
Speaker 1: DUTs No, Like I was just read an article about it. It's like the backup brain for your gut. So like let's say you get sick, right and you get like diarrhea for example, it's the that's the organ that helps like reset your gluffy, get you the good in the bab backteria. Yeah, I get your reset. So it didn't it was. It was useless for a long time, but apparently it's useful now. I don't have mine. I have not noticed any ill effects of not having them. And I think that.
Speaker 4: Sist the invention of the air fryer. The microwave is used.
Speaker 1: Dude, I might be on board with that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michael Wave is definitely that one.
Speaker 1: Are we drafting and we're just saying stuff here, just say stuff.
Speaker 4: What you say your wisdom to wisdom to They've been used, they used to. I'm saying casts of them now.
Speaker 1: I mean we got two letchers out, by the way.
Speaker 4: I got mine out when I broke my jaw, so I had to take them out to you got too, But I'm like, why are you there if I don't need them? You know what I mean? Why why are they there?
Speaker 5: If you want to wait till I'm a certain amount of years old, and then you say, oh, you have to remove these now.
Speaker 4: Because they used it because they pushed the other teeth forward, like.
Speaker 1: If you chip the tooth or something. Yeah, are you telling the truth there, Fred?
Speaker 5: No, because I've seen kids get their whizm suit taken out early.
Speaker 3: Because they started to push the jog in the tea for that. Why they say let's take them out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But like I'm saying, what are they for? I guess we like if you were like a Neanderthal or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you couldn't take them out.
Speaker 1: No, but you had like a chip tooth or a dead tooth and then maybe it pushes out. I don't know, we're not dentists.
Speaker 4: You use that like a spreare tiet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what we got? What's useles?
Speaker 7: Here's my useless take?
Speaker 1: You gotta talk loud, it's already here.
Speaker 7: The spelling bee, Like, why are we glorifying the spelling bee? There's a national spelling bee and it's such a big thing at least, like in Loud and County public schools that you have a spelling bee, and just like, where are you going with all that information?
Speaker 1: What are you doing it? It's like curling or something. It's like the pole vault one hundred meters, Like, why do we care about it? It's like a sporting event.
Speaker 4: No, she's correct, Like, we have never had a spelling be king to be president.
Speaker 3: We have never had the spelling beating to be the CEO of a fortune five hundred company.
Speaker 4: You just spail words.
Speaker 1: It's also like, why is chess important? It's the same thing. Why is this different? Why is different?
Speaker 4: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Hold of is it different?
Speaker 4: Because if care?
Speaker 1: Like because if a computer can beat anybody in the world in chest, it's just math, right, So like it's the same thing with spelling. You're just memorizing words. It's just a cool parlor trick. So like, I don't know if I agree with.
Speaker 4: This parlor trick.
Speaker 7: You've ever been out and you're like, oh, can you spell mitochondria?
Speaker 5: No you can't.
Speaker 1: If I could spell, I'd like I'd be like, hey if I was if I was at a bar and I wasn't married, I'd be like, hey, ask me to spell anything.
Speaker 4: You like, Sit down. We don't care how good you I a spelling.
Speaker 1: It's usually if I could spell mitochondred, i'd be spelling.
Speaker 3: Is it any one career that because you're the best spell in the world, you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: So now, I think I think you can make an argument that's spelling, that spelling in general is useless because you have like word processors, you have all this spell check stuff.
Speaker 4: I don correct on my fat right, But I'm saying if I in a in.
Speaker 1: A in a competitive event, which is the spelling Bee, it's that you're trying to see who the best speller is.
Speaker 3: It's a couple understand said for something that has no in game. It's the same thing also, but it also helps you down the line.
Speaker 5: I mean, I get what you're saying has no endgame far as you can't do nothing because you're the champion.
Speaker 4: Like, but you get smarter. I mean, you know you know how to spell words.
Speaker 5: You know when you have to write a paper or you have to text somebody, you ain't gonna be looking and saying, hey, help me spell this word, because I know I have I have problems all the time spelling, and I'm sitting there like, damn, without my phone, I'm useless.
Speaker 4: None of I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: But you aren't gonna go to be called to spelling be champion the eighties, ain't gonna call thembody out these words.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, for that speller, for that person.
Speaker 5: Who won the spelling be or who competed and learned something while he was doing so, it makes him that much smarter.
Speaker 6: To me, Okay, we're way off Trump. The point Carolina is making is not is spelling useless?
Speaker 1: No, it's spelling, but I'm saying to sell.
Speaker 4: Us we have no other ways.
Speaker 1: But this is That's all perspective though, because there's certain people that think, like football is useless. You ever met somebody doesn't know anything about football?
Speaker 4: They completely don't.
Speaker 6: They don't look at how much, look at how much is tied to football. It's tied to people's lives. But you pulled football away, people's lives are gone.
Speaker 4: But that's it's gone.
Speaker 1: That's because we put a lot of like if we're if we're in Japan, for example.
Speaker 6: Okay, we're no.
Speaker 1: But I've been saying, like, lo, can you give us one.
Speaker 4: Then I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't really. Everything's got, everything's useful. Now I'm kidding. The one that Jason brought up that I think is useless, Yeah, it's yours. I'm gonna steal it is the GPS in your car. You don't use my GPS use.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't use my GPS.
Speaker 3: Cana, Nita do I use? You know you got you got reverse nutrient drive. I've never used second in first, I have never used. I have never said, you know when he come ten.
Speaker 1: Never, it's it's not second, it's whatever. It's like low, it's not negative negative too.
Speaker 5: What about your tonsons because I see so many people get a tosses removed like they are useless to me, I'm like, if they do not need it, why they're there, Like, you know, if you can remote, why are they there?
Speaker 1: Caroline? Are they useless?
Speaker 4: Caroline?
Speaker 7: I think so I got my tonsils taken out. I think some people's supposed to defend like bacteria and stuff, but some people's attracted. So if I got mind taking out when I was eighteen because I was always getting sick, but some people it works. I make sure you're perfectly fine, right, Yeah, I'm fine now, So why they're there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Why? Why two kids? You don't even have no more? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What we got? We got one?
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah, let's let's do another one. I like the GPS thing because I'm team ways and just no one cares about that anymore.
Speaker 4: But I like wigs when I know where I'm going.
Speaker 7: Jason wrote this one.
Speaker 4: I thought this was good.
Speaker 7: The periodic table when you learn that in middle school. While so it's well, I mean, why are we learning those.
Speaker 3: Cannot agree with y'all on a periodic table? They study and gases in silence to it? All right, they are I'm not talking.
Speaker 6: About the important of knowing elements. What I'm talking about memorizing that test.
Speaker 1: Now I can just google it. I can be like, what's the peer, what's the periic table, Let me look at it, or what's the composition of water? I can just google it and I don't have to like commit it to memory.
Speaker 6: This one of the biggest tricks that they did in school is that anything that was ever printed up on the on the wall, if they had to cover it up during a quiz. This is a dumb quiz because I can find that at any point whenever.
Speaker 3: Basically, Jason say, American schools, you know, so, I think I think that's no.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, teach me how to set up a four oh one k not not don't teach me about it Mathma, I don't care about volcas well.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's ultimately like if like, for example, in math, like word problems. Everybody hates word problems, right, But the reason you're getting that information is because you're teaching you how to critically think and solve a problem. Right if it's just straight memorization. Now, in the land of Google and AI, it's like us, I can look at up any time.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you guys a question, how do you feel about long vision?
Speaker 4: Because that is kind of insane.
Speaker 1: That was like, it's not it's not useless.
Speaker 4: It's your because I need to do is learn how to sell. And it's a trick.
Speaker 3: I don't need to do nothing that loan to divide. You gotta know how to check in my bank account. I was not doing loan to be I was minus.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you what's he really? Fruit cake? It's really you don't like fruitcake. First of all, nobody actually eats it.
Speaker 3: It turns into a piece of furniture. Like I want to go to the fruitcake factory and say ship down.
Speaker 5: Had to see more fruitcake sitting on my table at a cookout.
Speaker 4: Then I'm like, who brought this? Who? No one touches it, like like it's embarrassing thing, Like why are they still making it? Brought old bred?
Speaker 1: The one I thought you were gonna bring up was pumpkins.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna bring pumpkin up because I hate it.
Speaker 5: It's on this list compared to that for halloweens to sit on your pork be calm down, that's all they mad rude.
Speaker 3: Number one of food we talk our parents. Do not play with your food. They allow you to play with pumpkin because it ain't fool. It ain't no other day besides no fiemble, I mean Thanksgiving, Halloween.
Speaker 4: How you make how you make pumpkin pie? It is a food, No it ain't. Don't you do it yet? You told me, you told me the smooth love that stir him out, get him going. You told me the smooth house loves some pumpkin pie.
Speaker 1: You know all.
Speaker 3: I want to ask y'all live win to have y'all left the house say, baby, I'm going to the grocer store.
Speaker 4: You need anyday if anybody in your household child, I wife s it, please bring some pumpkin. Nobody. That's how many people.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. It's a very real thing. But I think we can all agree that wins and losses in the preseason don't apply to don't don't apply to you win in the super Bowl useless. Carolin, would you agree with that don't matter? I agree with that, okay, and think well that's the one we're able to all agree on there. Thank you, intern Caroline, producer Caroline for coming out. We really appreciate you coming on. Love your inside as always, and I think that's gonna do it for day show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you evern'e feel good about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I feel great good any anything anyone else?
Speaker 3: We get into football form, Yes, we get into football just like they going through training camp right now and getting into football shape.
Speaker 4: We whip an ass into shape, and I promise you'll in three weeks we'll be in top shape, ready to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be ready to go. Make sure you buy your tickets using the QR code. A little description.
Speaker 4: We only been going all year, all season I'm trying to give us some leaving guys trying to give I want to.
Speaker 1: Gainst the grain. But thank you guys so much for for liking, subscribing, and watching. We really appreciate you support. It's awesome, you know. For me, it's not a very famous person Tanna, but when I walked through here, everyone's like, love the show, love Santana Moss, love sus Swoot. You guys did a great job. Thank you guys so much for watching. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You have flamers and you give yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, but that's gonna do it for to day show.