Speaker 1: Top tech from IFA twenty twenty three in Berlin, Germany. Apple and Google announced dates for their next big events. The day the government will blast you with an emergency text message, plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich dmiro and this is rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Phone lines are now open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to my website rich on Tech dot TV, hit contact and your message will make it right to my inbox instantly, no delay. There. Guests this week on the show Oliver Merlin, Managing director of EFA Management, and Mark Vina, principal analyst at Smart Tech Research. They will join me to talk about what I'm doing here and where am I? Berlin, Germany. That's right coming to you live from Berlin site of IFA twenty twenty three. This is Europe's version of CES. So hear me talk about CS in Las Vegas. Every year Europe does their own show called EFA and it is a big, big show. Believe me, my legs are tired from walking it. More than two thousand exhibitors from forty eight countries, twenty six halls, So when you go to CS it's a couple of big giant halls. In Las Vegas used to be three basically three giant halls plus some stuff scattered throughout the city. This is twenty six halls, different levels in each hall, and they're kind of like little little kind of rooms and you just make your way through all this one hundred and thirty thousand square meters of stuff to see. It is kind of like a tech festival. There is food, there is drink. And the big difference between this show and the show in Las Vegas is that visitors are welcome. The public is invited to buy a ticket to this show, so it's kind of like going to the largest best buy you've ever seen. With one hundred and eighty thousand people over five days, it's pretty pretty wild. They also have a summer garden in the middle of it all. Excuse my boord German. I haven't learned too many words since I've been here. It's been a fun trip, it's been a fun event. And I love doing stuff like this because it really gives you so much perspective on the different companies and the different brands, not just in the US but around the world. Now. Whenever I do a trip like this, I always get lots of thoughts on international travel, and a lot of the questions I get are about international travel because it's something that many people do maybe once twice a year, and I have the ability to do it a couple of times.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's actually been a lot more recently when COVID was happening, it was like everything stopped, you know, even domestic travel. But I did get to try for the first time on my way out here, my new California digital driver's license. So a couple of states, just a handful of states, have been testing digital driver's licenses, and I downloaded the what is it called, It's like the DMV my wallet app, and you download that, you scan your driver's license, you scan your face, and then somehow State of California verifies you are who you say you are, and they give you a digital copy of your driver's license on your phone. Now, before you get too excited. California, I don't know why they're not doing this, but they are not part of Apple's wallet, so many of the other states that have done this. You can get this inside your Apple wallet or eventually your Google wallet, which makes it very easy. It's kind of like using your tap to pay cards, like your debit or credit card, but this is a separate app. So I went to TSA and I, you know, went up to the guy and I was like, hey, do you mind if I use this digital driver's license. Expecting a little bit of grief, he said, no, that's fine. Let me let me fire up the machine because I'm curious how it works. I've never used it before. And so he turned on the machine and they you know, you open up your app. It's called the California DMV app. It generates a QR code. So I think there's a couple of ways to verify. I think one of them is tap. One of them is a QR code. We use the QR code, so you scan the code with this little machine and then you look at a camera and then I guess it somehow matches those things up. But the main thing to know if you ever try to do this, and I'm sure you probably never will maybe eventually in a couple of years. But when you scan the QR code, you get a little pop up on your phone that says, hey, do you want to hand over your personal information? But the problem is you're looking at the camera and the TSA person is also looking at their screen waiting for you to do something. So the first time I did this, it timed out, and so I was like, really, you know, of course I'm holding up the line and I'm starting to like, oh no, is this not going to work? And so he said, well, let's try it again. We tried it again, and I saw the little pop up the second time, and I said, okay, I have to agree to hand over my information to you. So we did it twice, but it worked very well the second time, and I've got to say it's kind of cool, although you really can't use it anywhere. The only two places I know of that you can use it right now are San Francisco Airport and LAX and of course a smattering of other airports across the nation. But it's not a very good system just yet. But I don't know if you've noticed, if you traveled. Lately, they're not even asking you to scan your boarding pass anymore. When you go to an airport, they just basically take your ID. They scan your ID somehow that matches up with the flight records, and they send you on your merry way. So that was interesting. Let's see what else you travel. You really have to have a tech plan figured out in advance, because if you mess up on even one of these things, if you trip, it's gonna cost you. So Number one E SIM I talked about this. This is an electronic SIM card. Buy those before you leave. Now in the old days, you would buy a SIM when you got your destination, usually in the airport, and you would pop this little card into your phone. So Number one your cell phone provider, and many times, if you have T Mobile, your phone's just gonna work and it's gonna be included in your plan. Overseas, Verizon in AT and T typically charge about ten dollars a day to use your phone in a foreign country. That can add up very quickly, and you can purchase a prepaid eSIM for a lot cheaper than that now on your plan. Also, you may have banks of days that you get included if you've been a customer for a long time, they might accrue over time, so be sure to check before you leave and before you buy anything. If AT and T or Verizon has some like free days included in your plan. For me, as soon as I landed, it said hey, you have like sixteen days left, and I said, oh wow, that's pretty cool. So for my primary phone, I just left it on that and for my other phone, I use the eSIM. The other thing, obviously a travel plug adapter. There are two types. There's a voltage adapter and there's just a regular adapter. If you're just traveling with standard electronics like your iPhone charger and all that stuff, you just need a travel plug adapter. They're like twenty five dollars. You have to have a portable battery bank, that's for sure, and a USB cable for the plane. Now keep in mind on the plane, many of the planes are still using the old style USB, which is like the big adapter at the end. Many of us are using at home USB C because that's what the phones have been coming with. So just keep in mind if you're going to charge on the plane, you either need a USBC adapter or you need to bring an old school cable, So take one of your older cables that charges your phone. That's what I did, and so I use that. That was great. Same thing for earbuds. If you want to use the seatback entertainment and use your own Bluetooth earbuds, you're gonna need an adapter because most of the seatback entertainment systems do not allow you to connect via Bluetooth. It's still wired. Now. Some of the new planes, especially on United and some of the other carriers, are getting Bluetooth, but it's very hit or miss. So if you want to make sure you want to use your own stuff, you can get an adapter like this thing called the Airfly from a company named twelve South. The person sitting next to me was using it, and it's about fifty dollars. You plug it into the little USB and it becomes a Bluetooth receiver for your earbuds. I guess a receiver and a transmitter, so it goes back and forth. So it's kind of like a mid middleman between the seatback entertainment and your earbuds. Now, I will tell you something that's a little interesting about me. I do not watch movies on the seatback. I know it's a weird thing, and I feel like I've been doing it for so long where I refuse to do it that I still don't do it even if I see a movie I want to see there, I said, no, I'm favoring my own entertainment. And for this trip, I took the Pixel Fold from Google. I've been testing this out. This is a foldable phone, and I wanted to see what it was like to use a foldable phone to watch a movie. So I watched the new Adam Sandler movie on Netflix, which I thought was pretty funny, although when I texted with a couple of family members on our group chat, they disagreed with me. I still think it's funny. But I watched this on the fold, and yeah, it's interesting. So I love the size of this phone, and the outer screen is very usable compared to what Samsung has, which is very narrow. But the Pixel Fold is heavy. It gets hot, and it's very slippery because it's such a smooth, slick phone. But if you put a case on it, it's too big. So it's one of these things where people are trying to push the carriers and the companies are trying to push foldable phones. I'm not sure they're there just yet. And there's another reason why I'm using the inside screen may a couple of times a day, whereas if you're getting a foldable phone, you probably want to use that inside screen a lot. Now. It is good for a lot of things like watching videos, looking at photos, checking your email, but I'm just not opening it enough. And by the way, in just a couple of weeks i've had this sample unit from Google, I already got something caught in the middle of the screens because it kind of pushed in in the middle. It's like a little tiny looks like a little piece of sand gotten there or something and just made an indentation. And of course that's not very fun. It looks very annoying when I look at the screen. Now, all right, we've got plenty more to talk about on my trip here. We've got plenty of guests lined up for the show. I'm going to talk about Apple and Google. They have both announced the dates when they are going to launch their next phones, and I'm seeing a lot of pixel phones over here in Europe, of course, a lot of iPhones as well. But first it is your turn give me a phone call at Triple A rich one oh one. It is eight eight eight seven four to two for one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Even though I am so far away today, it will still be a free call for you anywhere you are in the US. My name is rich Dumuro and you are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, broadcasting live from Berlin, Germany today. But don't let that dissuade you from calling in. John from a Brainerd, Minnesota is online one. John, You're on.
Speaker 2: With rich.
Speaker 3: Information.
Speaker 4: The situation I got going on is I listened to podcasts in some music on my Android phone on occasion, and I have two yearbuds, separate ones, and a set of Bowen and duck headset after Shock brand name whatever. And the problem I'm having is I'll be listening to it and all of a sudden it'll shut off, it'll turn back on, it'll shut off, turn back on, random time, random length of time. And I've been buy my phone at the bottom of the phone. If I see it, it'll say Google Assistant is here to assist you.
Speaker 1: Please turn on.
Speaker 4: Well, I believe that it's something similar to Siri, and I don't want it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to listen to me.
Speaker 4: But that's beyond the point. But it keeps coming up. And one of the more annoying things is if I haven't shut off, I'll be walking around my workshop here working all of a sudden I'll hear on ear piece it says calling last number dials, and it does it, and sometimes just clicks it on for a second, or sometimes it stays on for a while. And I've gotten a point now where I call my landlines so I'm not calling somebody accidentally, or it's not calling somebody accidentally to know them. But I've never subscribed to it. I've gone on my settings. It's not turned on, but it it keeps coming up, and only when I have these the Aftershock headset on.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, a couple of things here. Number one, I just was talking with the Aftershock folks yesterday. They were here at at EPHA, so they were showing off some new new headsets. These are These are kind of uh a lot of them are aimed for like swimming and underwater and any sort of like they're very like durable in wet conditions. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I like them because like where I'm in a machining welding shop, self employed. And what I like about them is I can put in earplugs and actually the celling gets better through the through the bone induction system, and uh, you know, I can still do about my work and be able to listen good in the.
Speaker 5: Song quality I think is decent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're known, they're known to be good. Okay, So here's what I think A couple of things that I think need to be done. Number one, have you downloaded the aftershocks app? Do they have a specific app that you can download to maybe update the firmware and also change any settings on these devices because built in by default it looks like these want to activate the Google Assistant. Okay, I have not.
Speaker 3: I'm not too savvy.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I would go on the app. Are you on You're on Android? You said? So I would go on the Android Google Play and I would download. I would go to you know, search for the after shocks app, so look for that and then when you do that, that may unlock all of the settings for these headphones, and that's where you can go in and turn off the Google Assistant trigger. Now, I will tell you it's funny you say this because I literally have been testing these Sony headphones and I was using them on my way here, and every time you push the side of the headphone, like if they're falling out of your ear a little bit, which I don't like about these headphones. But every time I would push it, the Google Assistant would trigger, and so it would of course stop your music, interrupt things. You'd have to make sure you remain quiet so it doesn't get a false command. And so I went in, I downloaded the Sony app and I went in and disabled it from there. It took me a little bit to figure out how to do it, but that is one way.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The other way you can do it is usually in Google Assistant. There is a setting, so if you tap in, if you open up the Google app and tap settings and then you look for Google Assistant, there is usually a setting that says over headphones or over Bluetooth, and you can disable it there as well. So those are the main things that I would do. I don't think these headphones. I don't think there's anything wrong with them. I just think it is an errant command of Google thinking that you want to activate it. And when I look on their website, it says there's a couple of ways to activate. Obviously, it's hands free if you say the hot word, which is you know, I'm not going to say, because I don't want to activate everyone's headphones, but you know, it's usually it's something about Google. And then the other way is kind of pressing and holding a button on the side, or maybe pressing it twice. So those are the steps that I would take to try to disable this from happening. But there are there are multiple ways that Google may trigger and usually if you download the native headphones app, that should really give you the most control over these headphones. Because headphones typically don't have Google Assistant built in, it's usually a special thing, and so because of that, they usually have the special software that will allow you to disable that and also tweak it, because not everyone wants that, as we all know. Good question. Thanks so much for calling today from Minnesota. Appreciate the call.
Speaker 7: John.
Speaker 1: More of your calls coming up next at Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I have mentioned that I'm here in Berlin, Germany, and I'll tell you I've been testing Apple Maps versus Google Maps, and I'm gonna give the slight edge to Google Maps for public transportation. But i will say that if you're walking, Apple Maps is better with the turn by turn transit or turn by turn walking directions if you have an Apple Watch. But before you go to any other city, any any travel city, download Maps offline. That's a pro tip right there, so you don't need a cellular connection. More rich on Tech coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. And it's a big week if you like phones and gadgets, because both Google and Apple announced separate events. Google's holding their event on October fourth. There they will announce the Pixel eight and the Pixel watch too. Well expected to announce. They don't say what they're going to announce, but Google kind of. That'll happen in New York City. They called the Made by Google Event. It'll be ten am Eastern time. They'll live stream it. Google invited me. I typically go to these things they get that usually you get a little bit of hands on before the general public, maybe like a week or so before the phones go on sales, so that's always nice. And then Apple announced they're doing their event on September twelfth, and they're gonna announce the iPhone. Well, of course they don't say what they're gonna announce, but it's the iPhone, the Apple Watch, and maybe some other goodies. Joining me now is Mark German from Bloomberg Technology reporter, and Mark, welcome to Welcome.
Speaker 6: Back to the show for having thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, so you are the expert in all things Apple. You are known for your proven track record of basically telling people in your weekly columns at Bloomberg and your newsletter what Apple is going to announce before they announce it. So I'm not going to ask you how you do it because that's probably a proprietary secret. But you do it. It's great and what can we expect from this event.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So for Apple September twelfth Wonderlust launch, there's going to be three main areas, the phone, the iPhone fifteen, the Apple Watch, as well as the AirPod. So you will see the iPhone fifteen and fifteen Plus, as well as fifteen Pro and Pro Macs. We'll see in Apple Watch Series nine, we'll see a second generation Apple Watch Ultra, and we'll also see new AirPods Pro with a USBC connector. That's the new charging port that they're bringing to all of the iPhones.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's start with the iPhones because that's typically what people are most excited about. So iPhone fifteen and iPhone fifteen Pro, and then there's two versions of each of those. What is going to be different about the phones this year?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So for the base phones that's the fifteen and fifteen plus, they're going to look the same almost as the fourteen in fourteen plus with a few variations. So the back is not going to be glossy anymore. It's going to be a map back like the pro phones. And then they're also going to get some of the pro features from last year. Three main ones, the A sixteen chip from the fourteen Pro, the dynamic Island, and the new back camera system of that forty eight nigapixel camera, So basically last year's enhancements at a lower price. And then the high end phones, the Pro and Pro max is where they're actually going to make the new changes, the new stuff. It's going to have a titanium frame that makes the phone quite a bit lighter. They'll have a three nanimeter chip which is quite a bit more efficient for better battery life. You're going to have a new screen technology called LPO, which is a new manufacturing process that allows them to make the borders around the display much thinner, and you're going to get that overall new design thinks of that titanium frame. So it's going to be quite an impressive upgrade, probably the biggest upgrade in a few years. And so I think a lot of people have been holding out and waiting for this phone. So it should be a bit of a major cycle for Apple.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the base phones, the iPhone fifteen and the iPhone fifteen plus, these are the phones that presumably most people buy, most people are interested in because they are the I mean, they're not inexpensive, but they're the least expensive of the new lineup. So they get last year's chip, they get dynamic island, which is that little pill shaped area in the top of the phone, and they also get the better camera. So it's almost like last year's phone, but in a new kind of body.
Speaker 6: It's essentially last year's phone in a less premium body because it's an aluminum frame versus the steel frame of last year the titanium frame of the pros this year. So it is probably a pretty good value. My sense actually though, is that from the get go, in terms of purchases, in the first few months or so, most of those purchases actually lean towards the pro phones. Believe it or not, right, even though the thing is a bit high. Yeah, I mean it's people look at the price differences. It's about two hundred dollars three hundred dollars delta between the low end phones and the high end phones. And then most of their sales now are on monthly plans or some sort of subsidy, and so you're talking about five to fifteen dollars difference per month, and so a lot of people push up to the higher end phones. Anyways, But if you look at over time, these lower end phones, as those prices come down, but for instance, the fifteen to fifteen plus I think are going to be extraordinarily popular in like a year or two from now, right as those prices come down to the four hundred and five hundred dollars range.
Speaker 1: Right right now. One thing I'm curious about is the refresh rate on the standard phones. Has that caught up to the premium the pros No, I.
Speaker 6: Believe they're about two years away from moving to the one hundred and twenty hertz. On the lower end phones, they're still going to be. I believe it's a sixty or ninety hertz refresh rate. And it's so interesting because nobody knew that they wanted one hundred and twenty hertz refresh rate until they had it on the propones and on the iPad pro right right now, it's so impressive on the propones, and it's if you compare it side by side, it is such a big difference that you wouldn't know until you look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's the thing. If you're using an iPhone, you know, a standard one that doesn't have the higher refresh rate, you would never really know. And my wife, so every time I basically use my wife's phone, I notice it and I'm like, wow, this almost feels like it's slower than my phone because it just doesn't have that smooth refresh rate.
Speaker 6: But if you're not refresh rates right, But the performance is pretty good overall, but like when you just look at it, it just looks so much different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. Okay, So now what about the USB C switchover? Is that going to happen with the phones?
Speaker 6: So the USBC change will happen across all four phones in the air pods, and obviously this is because of the European Union. The benefits to consumers now is you can have one charging cable that will work on your map, your iPad, and your iPhone and your ex generation AirPods. You no longer you need to jump, you know, between lightning and USBC and all that. So this is going to be quite an improvement for consumers, but also a headache for those who are now going to need to buy new charging bricks and new accessories.
Speaker 2: And the like.
Speaker 1: Now people always joke, and I'm sure the mets will come out that Apple continues to change the charging port on the bottom. I remember when it happened from the thirty pin connector to lightning. People are complaining, but it's been a while since that happened.
Speaker 6: Right, It's been eleven years since the last charging change. There was in twenty sixteen, the headphone jack removal. I have to tell you, I don't think this is a change that Apple wanted to make. I don't think this is something that they would have chosen to do on their own. I think there's a lot of drawbacks for them from moving to USBC on the iPhone. This is something that they're doing pretty much, almost exclusively to appease the European Commission. It is a law there, and then you're seeing more and more places try to bring this into law, believe it or not. I actually read the other day, actually yesterday, that California, just the state of California, they're bringing a bill to action next year related to USBC. And so this is something that was going to continue. It was going to be a drum beat, it was going to be something that would snowball and have a domino effect, and all sorts of countries were going to push it this. I believe even India was talking about USBC as well as a bill.
Speaker 1: Well, it does eventually make things easier, obviously less proprietary. What about the zoom on these phones are they going to get Is the zoom going to get any better?
Speaker 6: The zoom is the same on the first three phones. The top end phone, you're moving from a three X lens to a six NX optical zoom. And why that's so important is because if you do a digital zoom right now, you can see how the quality quickly degrades, but by using an optical hardware zoom, the quality actually does not significantly when you zoom in up to the six X and then you actually get an expanded digital zoom as well. I believe it's a twenty or thirty X, so quite impressive and better competition to the cameras on the Google devices that you mentioned, which they have pretty good cameras, and they have for years. Apple's doing a little bit of catch up.
Speaker 1: Here, Okay, speaking of ketchup, you know, we're seeing a big push with these foldable phones from Samsung, Google. You know, obviously the Chinese companies are doing a lot of foldables, and Motorola even has one, and of course one plus. So are we going to see a foldable from Apple.
Speaker 6: I think we'll see some sort of foldable device from Apple. In which form that takes, I think it's still a little unclear. It could be an iPad, it could be a type of a Mac. It could be a type of an iPhone, but I don't see anything foldable from Apple in the next twenty four months.
Speaker 1: All right, if you're into Apple stuff and you'd like to hear what Apple's going to do before the company even announces it. Mark German is your guy, chief correspondent at Bloomberg. What's the best way for folks to follow you, Mark?
Speaker 6: No, thank you rich for having me. I truly appreciate it. Twitter dot com or x dot com slash Mark German. You can get updates most quickly there, but also subscribe to my weekly column on Sundays. It's Bloomberg dot com slash. However, on to sign up.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks so much for joining me today, Mark, I appreciate it. There you have it, all of the rumors and the speculation on the iPhone, but it usually comes true. Mark knows his stuff. So if you're considering the upgrade, you know it's probably going to be the year to upgrade because of the entire USB c changeover. If you're like me, and especially when you travel, I literally have to think about, Oh I need that lightning cable because it's the one thing I need everything else, even the iPads have gone over to USBC in recent years, so we'll be looking forward to that. That event again happens on September twelfth, and again I'm expected to be there. So a lot of things going on in the next couple of weeks. All right, let's take some more of your calls at Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech live from Berlin, Germany. Oh no, you didn't. Oh man, I think we're getting all German artists on this week's show. So funny story this is This is Milli Vanilla, right, yeah, so blame it on the rain. I'll never forget we were doing. This is such a long funny story anyway, I'll save you the drama of it. But my friend and I, when we were in like middle school, we were gonna do like a talent show with this song and our teacher. We were so embarrassed to tell our teacher and then so we were gonna lip sync the song. And then we later found out that the whole thing was lip sync. So it was like this like meta kind of situation. Anyway, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology from Berlin, Germany. What a great city, really really interesting, lots of history. Obviously, people here like to be out in the streets. They like to I've seen a lot of families, a lot of kids, a lot of tourists, just a lot going on here and it's interesting. I took my walk the other day, my audio tour, which I really like to do when I go to these cities, and there was nobody out, I mean nobody. It was a weekday, and then today I was out and it's a weekend and there was just so many people in the same places where there was almost no one the time before. And by the way, if you want to do these audio walking tours, which I highly recommend self guided, use your phone. The app that I use is called voicemap dot Me, so voicemap me, and it's just a really easy way you download the app. It's kind of like listening to a podcast, but it gives you step by step, turn by turn directions and if you get off court like I have it sometimes it just says, hey, you know, look at the map and get back on course. You can leave your phone in your pocket pretty much the whole time you do this. It's very very cool VOICEMAP dot em and they have them for cities around the world. I've taken them in and here, let's see where it was at Austin, and I did one more somewhere else. All right, let's go to alex Innuay. Tell me if I'm saying this right, Nuevo California. I know you tried call them before. We had some trouble connecting. You're on with Rich line three.
Speaker 8: Yes, Rich, I'm having problems with an SD card I bothered about two and a half years ago. It was working fine, and last weekend it quit. I've turned off the phone, pulled the stem car SD card out, put it back in, tried to reformat it. It gets up to about twenty five percent, and then it says my phone is not compatible with their SD card.
Speaker 1: How are you trying to reformat it?
Speaker 5: When it's a little icon comes up says format SD card to use.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I'm saying, when you plug it into your phone, are you formatting it?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? Have you tried formatting it using a computer?
Speaker 5: I don't have an adapter.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so it sounds like this card has failed, but that is just my preliminary thoughts. But the thing is, you can't really tell unless you try to format this in another device. So, for example, we have a special microphone we use where you have to use an SD card in it a thirty two gig maximum, and sometimes when we put those cards in this MIC, it just goes nuts and it can't recognize it, and it kind of just the screen flashes. And there is an option to format the card on that MIC, but it doesn't always work. But if you take that same exact SD card and format it in a computer, somehow it figures it out and it formats it properly, and then it works in the MIC. So that would be what I'd recommend to do. Why did you lose anything on this card? Are you worried about the data on this card?
Speaker 5: Well, apparently all the games I downloaded went to the card, so I lost all the games, my photos and stuff I backed up to a computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, very good, and all the rest of those stuff.
Speaker 5: It's just it's annoying. Yeah, I agree, and a half two years and then all of a sudden, I'm getting this there. Stupid things it's not recognizing the SD card. Please format I try that. It gets up to about twenty five and quits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is very frustrata. And I will tell you that I've used many many SD cards in my time and I have yet to see one fail. And so I find it hard to believe that this has failed. But it could happen. Is this a micro SD card. I'm assuming it's a small one, like it's the size of like a SIM card almost.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably a core in the size of a posty stamp. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean, look at the end of the day, and what's the size on this card? How big is it?
Speaker 5: I think it's uh thirty thirty or thirty two?
Speaker 1: Okay, and what brand is it?
Speaker 5: I picked it up at Walmart, like I said, a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I would say, maybe bring it back to Walmart, but I think it's been past the ninety days. Do they have they may have a extended return policy. I don't know, but.
Speaker 5: What I don't think so years.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're straight up with them and just say hey, look i've had this, you know, if you go to Costco, they'll take it back. So maybe Walmart will do the same. I was actually trying to figure out what their return policy was. I looked it up the other day. I think it's ninety standard. But look, at the end of the day, I think if you're if you're not concerned with what's on this card, a new SD card, a thirty two gig is about ten bucks. You can get a two pack of them for twelve dollars on Amazon. So I understand it's frustrating. I understand that it's not ideal, but it could just be that this failed. It happens, especially if it maybe is an off brand. If I recommended getting an adapter, I probably wouldn't recommend that because the adapter is going to cost you more than the price of this card. So my advice is to see if you have a friend that has an adapter and a card reader and try doing the formatting there on a computer, whether it's a or a PC. That might work. You can also try a disc repair on the same computer because that may work as well. But otherwise I would say, if you're not too attached, I'm glad you backed up your photos, and if you're not too attached to this thing, I would just call it a complete loss and move on because the cost of getting that adapter is going to be a lot more than just buying a new card. And hopefully this does not happen again. I rarely, rarely see these things fry like that. So thanks for the call, appreciate it. Let's see what do we want to talk about real quick before we go to break here, Let's talk about Google raising prices of nest Aware and nest Aware Plus. These are the subscriptions if you have nest products. The basic nest Aware is now going to cost eight dollars a month, up from six bucks a month. That's eighty dollars a year or sixty dollars a year. The nest Aware Plus is going to be fifteen a month, up from twelve dollars a month. The new price takes effect on November sixth, and uh new subscribers right now. Yep, every streaming service is going up in price. Give me a call triple eight, Rich one oh one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Welcome to the show. Our number two. I just got word from producer Bobo that Rob Thomas is indeed German, which I didn't believe, but I looked it up and sure enough, he was born in Germany. Where's my bell? I always say that triple eight rich one O one is the phone line to call eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. There we go, We've got some boisterous applause. So this week, Verizon has come up with a new way to protect you from spammy email to texts. It's very, very simple. Have you ever gotten one of these things? It basically looks like a text message that comes from an email address and it's just annoying. Their Verizon says eighty percent of them are spam and it's just an easy way for people to spam because all it takes is for them to set up an email and so these most of the time are for like shipping confirmations, all this stuff. It's just total junk. So if you want to block these now and your this is only for Verizon customers, you text the word off off to forty forty. Again, if you want to stop these annoying spam email to text messages, just text the word off to forty forty. If you're a Verizon customer, and that will disable email to text messages to your phone. Now you might be saying, Rich, why would I do that, I'm not going to get my texts. Eighty percent of those are bogus. So there may be an example of a legitimate company that uses this or legitimate use of that, but most of the time it's not. And you can always turn it back on. I believe you just text on to forty forty and it'll turn them back on. But you can look it up online and see what they say about it. I'll put the link on the website. Rich on tech dot TV keep the show notes for the show so you can see what Verizon says about all of that. But a lot of people doing it. All right, Let's go to Reggie Line too in Charleston, South Carolina. Reggie, you're on with Rich. And it's interesting that you say you're in Charleston, because I've fallen in love with European cities and I looked up today no joke, best US cities that feel like Europe, and Charleston was like on the top list. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: It it's a gorgeous city, a little bit flood ridden right now, but gorgeous, just the same. Oh no, your producer asked me if I had called them before, and I'll remember you helped me with the photo enhancing program. I'm a pet porch artist.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I remember, yes.
Speaker 10: And you did help me with that. But I had a bigger problem this week. I went onto my Facebook page where I do do marketing and use marketplace and all my customers contact me there, and it asked for a new password. I've done that before, put it in a word.
Speaker 1: Why did I ask you for a new one?
Speaker 10: I don't know. Maybe I just forgot it. I don't remember. But it asked me to put in my password, which I had no idea why it did that, and I may have forgotten it. So I went to put in a new password, and it told me there was no account under my email address. And I've had my email address for a long time because I'm still with AOL so.
Speaker 1: Good old al America Online.
Speaker 10: All right, I've had it since I think ninety eight. So it was gone. Everything was gone. All my customers, all my friends, all my posts I've ever done, everything had disappeared. I had no way to get You can't get in touch with them, you know, I think you know there's nook or Meta.
Speaker 1: No, nope. So wait, okay, let me get this straight. Did you lose access to your page?
Speaker 10: Yes? Completely? You know, it was gone and even the people that tried to contact me told me that it said no messaging available. They they had blocked me once before because they thought I was selling pets.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and you're not right, just to just to confirm the portraits. I know we talked about that last time. Okay, so where do you stand and what can I help you with?
Speaker 10: Well, is there any way to get in touch with them? I went, I opened a new page. I did it under my old email, which is still my email. They accept did all that, and I opened a new page altering my name just a little bit, and try and trying to get back in touch with all of my customers and people that had contacted me. But I can't get to them at all. When I posted that I had the problem on Facebook, of course I got eight hundred scammers who want three hundred and fifty dollars to find my Facebook.
Speaker 1: Page for Yeah, if you type in the word hacked on if you post the word hacked on Facebook, they say, oh, Johnny five, really helped me get unhacked, and it's like this whole scam thing. These programs just look for keywords and then post stuff on the page. Okay, so here's what I think happened. I actually think you might have gotten hacked. I think the notification that you saw was bogus. You click the notification, you put in your password that was real, and as soon as you did that, these scam art It's got a hold of your account and then immediately either try to message everyone on that account or do something with it that Facebook recognized to be bad, and so they immediately block the account. That's where I think you stand. And the reason why that you were able to create a new account and it has a slightly different username is because that old account is still percolating in the back end of the system somewhere. And so if you had like petit facebook dot com slash pet portraits, you know, they gave you pet portraits one because that other username is still sort of taken up. So what I recommend couple of things. Number One, you got to be very careful with notifications on Facebook about your password. It is very rare that Facebook asks you to just randomly put in your password. It's even rareer for them to send a notification that says you need to put in your password. So yeah, there's pages that say, you know, if you're logging in from a different area or device, but it's it's pretty rare and usually those pages are pretty well marked. And always look at the URL when you're logging into any website to make sure that it is the website that you should be logging into. Now, on Facebook, people really try to trick folks with these scam logins. What they'll do is they'll just they'll give you a notification that says, hey, your page, you know doesn't meet the community standards. Click here to to you know, dispute it, and then you have to log in. As soon as you log in, you're actually logging into a spammer's account or a scam artist account and they take over. Now, if this happens to you before you go ahead and create a new account. Number one to protect yourself, turn on two factor authentication. I know I'm a broken record, I say it every week on this show, but you have to turn on two factor authentication. That will actually protect you from yourself because if you do log in next time with your password and they get it, it's going to send a code to your phone, and that will stop the bad guys from actually getting in because they won't have that code. Now, if you you know, they may message you and ask you for that code, don't give it to them. Now, if you do get hacked on Facebook, you immediately want to go to Facebook dot com slash hacked. That is the official place to go. Now, you have to understand Facebook has almost three billion people using the platform, so to get someone on the phone is not possible. They don't do that. They do it all through email, They do it all through automated systems, and they do it all starting with Facebook dot com slash hacked. Go there, it'll tell you, it'll give you a questionnaire about what's happening with your account. Many times people will regain access to their account, but it can take a while because it's not always the number one priority of Facebook to help people get back into their accounts. Now, if you had a high profile account, maybe, but just you know, your everyday account, you know it's not necessarily their profile. The other thing I would do is set if you're listening to this and you have any sort of business presence on Facebook. Number one, always always have two factor authentication. On number two, you have to set a secondary admin for your Facebook page. What will that do If the person that manages your page gets locked out, the other person will be able to still get in. And so now, look, if you hand over your password to the scam artists, they know to check and see if there's an admin, and they may delete that person. But it's better to have this on your page because I've gotten stories of the primary person that works at a business passing away, leaving the company, whatever happens, they get angry and they lock you out of the page. So you want someone else on there that's trusted, even if it's someone that you know, that can help you get back into your account if you get locked out. And sometimes Facebook might even text them or email them and say, hey, can you vouch for this person? Yeah, believe me. Facebook has a lot of different ways of getting people back into their accounts. It's all very strange and a lot of it is undocumented, but it's it happens because I hear the stories all the time. So Reggie, I hope you can get back into your account. That is my advice for you and keep up the good work with the pet pictures. Sounds like a fun little business you got there, all right, give me a call. Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You're listening to rich on Tech broadcasting live from Berlin, Germany, where I'm here for IFA coming up later in the show. We're going to talk to the show organizers so you can get a better idea of what IFA twenty twenty three is all about. More rich on Tech Next, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology live from Berlin, Germany. Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. If you want to join in, you can also go to the website rich on Tech dot tv and hit the contact link and you can send your email right to me. Also, if you have a comment about today's show, send it to me now and I'll get it In the feedback segment. I'm really struggling if I should change that to the feedbag. So I like the idea of mail bag plus feedback equals feedbag, but all I can think about with feedbag when I say it is like a trough with like cows, and I'm just like dumping like a bunch of food in there. I don't know maybe that's the right thing, but it's These are the things I consider in my spare time. Also, if you want to follow me on Instagram at rich on Tech is the place to go. I've posted all about my trip here to Germany, so you can see what I've been doing here, and also I post tech tips and various things there. So I've got the tech tip I'm in about how to turn off the spammy Verizon emails that is on their Instagram at rich on Tech. All right, without further ado, let's go to Greg and des Moines. Iowa Line one. Greg, you're on with rich.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Rich?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fantastic? Can you tell in my voice?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I hear you loud and clear. Excuse me, I got a little cold. I hear you loud and clear. And Juliani day, I know.
Speaker 1: Isn't it amazing what technology can do? We can go live from pretty much anywhere. So what can I help you with? Greg?
Speaker 3: I'm legally blond, okay, I got two friendship for you. I'm paying on a d flip three and and Roy is not great paid off. Now they have a d flip five from Google Oteam Bowler bo pone. Uh is that a good phone? Or should I just keep the phone I have. I don't well ow any of that because of my eyesight, you know what I mean. I'm not fab here at computers.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what do you what are you doing on the phone?
Speaker 3: I had my Norse stand up some apps for me. When she comes in, I g if I want to please can if I want Pandora? I talk to my phone okay. And I don't know if this is a good phone or not. I like the I like the d flip five because it got that prolable front clean and I don't want to get your apps on it or not?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a great question. So here's the thing. So you've got the fold three, which is a couple of years back, and now we're up to the five. So the changes on the three to the five. So the inside screen is identical, it's going to be the same size. The outside screen is much bigger on the five. So are you able to see the screen at all or no?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think the bigger screen would actually be a better thing for you, especially given the the eye condition.
Speaker 3: So I'm blinded one eye and I got doc coma in my right eye down.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I think the bigger screen. I think the bigger screen would serve you well otherwise. Okay, So that's the next part I was going to get to.
Speaker 3: So, and I have one other question for you. Do it very important for me?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay, right right? I did mine. Take I I redeede my incoming and out going calls so people don't get in my phone and be knowed, you know what I mean? Sure, And I adjectantly hit the content. Oh what do you call it? Where you save your addresses or your phone numbers?
Speaker 1: And so yeah, sure, like the contact information.
Speaker 3: Contact contact, I deleted them all. So I went in right away and said all the places that I want to uh call, you know, like my hospital, my plan, my cousins, you know. Okay, but the numbers show up and let me give you the name bad.
Speaker 1: I will, I will tell you. Okay, So let me let me answer your first question. So the first question about the upgrade, Uh, I think that the outer screen would probably be better. You'd probably enjoy it because it is bigger, and it will probably be easier to see because it is considerably larger. Now, you said you're still paying on your old phone. Samsung is giving a pretty aggressive trade in credit for your old phone six hundred dollars to be exact, So depending on how much you got to do the math. So this phone is one thousand bucks minus is six hundred dollars trading credit for your old phoneus how much you owe or I guess plus how much you owe. So you got to do the math and see if it's worth it to do that. So let's say this one thousand bucks minus six hundred, that'd be four hundred dollars. And let's say you owe two hundred. That means this phone be six hundred dollars. I know, I just did that math very quick, but you got to figure out if that's worth it. Now, there may be some additional discounts available to you if you look on the Samsung offer programs. They've got education, government, military, employee, first responder, I'm not sure maybe veteran that might apply, but you can look into those as well. Now, your second quest question about the contacts. Google stores a backup of your contacts, even if you delete them. So what I want you to do is go to Contacts dot Google dot com and you should be able to find a backup of your contacts that you deleted and you should be able to restore those contacts from there. So again, Contacts dot Google dot com is where you go to find a backup of your contacts. That is, given you're using Google Contacts, but since you're on an Android phone, that's typically how they're backed up. Greg and des Moines, thanks so much for calling today. All right, coming up next, we are going to talk to Oliver Merlin. He is the guy who basically put on IFA twenty twenty three. So we're here in Berlin. IFA is the big tech trade show. Coming up. Oliver Merlin, Managing director of EFA Management, will tell you all about what EFA is here for. You're listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, Rich DeMuro here on location in Berlin at EFA twenty twenty three. This is a massive tech show. And joining me now is Oliver Merlin, Managing director for EFA Management. Thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 7: Today, pleasure, Good morning, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? So this is my first time to Berlin, first time to EFA. Explain this show to someone who hasn't been.
Speaker 7: Right sure, well, first of all, welcome, thank you for coming.
Speaker 11: EFA is the biggest consumer electronics and home appliances tech show in the world.
Speaker 1: And so twenty six floors of things to see everything from smart appliances, gadgets, healthcare. Is there any way to see it all?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Absolutely, Bring lots of pairs and comfortable shoes and download the app and you'll find your way around, no problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, So explain to me what is here and listen.
Speaker 11: Everything from gaming consoles to frich freezer's washing.
Speaker 7: Machines, smart living, Internet of Things.
Speaker 11: You've heard of all of these things, right, this is where you come to see them all living and breathing.
Speaker 1: What are the trends you're seeing with this year's exhibitors.
Speaker 11: There's been two huge trends this year that have blown almost everything else side of the world. Honestly, sustainability is obviously the first one. Almost all of our exhibitors are talking about sustainability, and the really enlightened ones are really taking this so seriously. They know that consumers have put sustainability at their number.
Speaker 7: One priority when it comes to perching.
Speaker 11: It's gone beyond brand or pricing or brand loyals or anything like that.
Speaker 7: Now sustainability is right up there.
Speaker 11: If you haven't got a credible story about it, the consumers will look elsewhere.
Speaker 7: So that's number one. The second one is AI. Right.
Speaker 11: Nobody was talking about AI year ago, and now AI is everywhere. Everybody's grandmother is an expert on AI, right, and everybody's scared AI is going to end the world.
Speaker 7: Those two are probably the biggest by far.
Speaker 1: Give me an idea for some of the numbers. This is a very large show, a lot of exhibitors, and a lot of people come from around the world to see this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 11: So this whole we've taken every square centimeter that we can good of the MESA Berlin.
Speaker 7: It's about one.
Speaker 11: Hundred and thirty thousand square meters. We've got two and fifty nine exhibitors coming from forty eight countries, and we're hoping for Again, these are projections because we don't know until we get to the.
Speaker 7: End of the five days.
Speaker 11: Something like one hundred and eighty thousand people to come through the door over the five days, right, So that's an incredible amount of people from over one hundred countries. I think maybe something like one hundred and forty countries around the world.
Speaker 7: It's a truly, truly huge event.
Speaker 11: There are very few events of this size and scale around in the industry, and certainly in this industry, and this is the biggest.
Speaker 1: One of the unique aspects of EFA is that the public is allowed to attend. Unlike a lot of other shows trade shows, public isn't invaded. So what does that add to the mix.
Speaker 11: Well, we've only believe that EFA is actually the best trade show for consumer electronics and.
Speaker 7: Home appliances in the world.
Speaker 11: But really, you know, as events develop and face to face comes back and people really want to return to events and trade shows, that's not enough just being a trade show, right, So we really think about the consumer. We've always had the consumer at the heart of what we do, and our customers, you know, they have.
Speaker 7: To think about the consumer. This is essentially a consumer industry.
Speaker 11: So the show runs from a Friday to a Tuesday, and in the middle of that is a weekend, and obviously most consumers will tend to come on the weekend. They can actually come any of the five days, but we feel that that gives us a really really nice feel. We feel that in the future the balance between B to B and B two Z is going to blur, and so we encourage us a general mixing of all different points of view that encourage our exhibitors to really think about the consumers, not just their trade.
Speaker 7: Fuyers and charges consumers to come and.
Speaker 11: See the latest innovations and what their TVs might look like next year and the year after, what robots are happening, you know, what the latest tech really is.
Speaker 1: How do you balance the tradition of the show but also innovation for the next year. You always want to build upon it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely so. EFHA is a show that's actually been going ninety nine years. Obviously, there's a few years they've been interrupted, and for a while the show is every other year. So there's a huge amount of history and tradition that's associated with EFA. Albert Einstein, for example, was one of the first openers, the keynote speakers of ef and we've got some tremendous speakers going back through history. Various Prime ministers have opened the show and.
Speaker 7: All those sorts of things.
Speaker 11: However, the bedrock of the show is innovation, what's going to happen tomorrow, what's happening next year, what's happening in the year after, Right, So we like to pride ourselves on the fact of that, the historical association of EFO with Berlin and this amazing venue, plus with the fact that we're always looking forward.
Speaker 1: You've got also an area where you're fixing different devices. Tell me about that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, So one of the things that we do is that, you know, again going back to this idea of the balancing the trade show with adding some new things.
Speaker 7: So the Mend and repair shop.
Speaker 11: That you refer to, we partner with the local Menda Repair Cafe in Berlin, and the Menda Repair Shop sits within the Sustainability Village.
Speaker 7: The Sustainability Village.
Speaker 11: Is a particular zone several thousand square meters in Hall two where you can go and listen to all of our exhibitors talking about sustainability, world experts and sustainability talking on the sustainability stage. And within that there's a Menda Repair shop where I think predominantly local people, right, I don't expect people have taken the plane with their washing machine, but Berliners and German people and maybe some people have come from Europe can bring their hair dryers, gaming consoles, you know, small things they might bring that are broken or it needed a bit of a TLC and they can take them to the Menda repair shop right there.
Speaker 1: And then can you give us a sneak peak of what's to come for next year?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 11: Next year is the one hundredth year obviously of EFO, so it's going to be truly enormous. I think one of the things we haven't focused on so much this year is the outside area, which at Messer Berlin we've got a tremendous kind of opportunity to use a fantastic garden. Generally, thing ascross the weather is okay, you'll see a lot of more use of the outdoor space.
Speaker 7: I don't want to give too much away, but in terms of a kind.
Speaker 11: Of festival vibe, if you like concerts and things like that, you'll see us majoring on that. And I think just being the one hundredth year, you'll see also a lot more activations within.
Speaker 7: And in and around the city of Berlin.
Speaker 1: As you've organized this and talked to these companies and kind of gotten sneak peaks of what they're going to show off anything that's really kind of caught your eye.
Speaker 11: Well, look, I think the thing is with technology, there are periods where, you know, sort of like if you look at when the advent of the smartphone happened, right, all the technology is suddenly left right, And I think you're going to see that in the next year, probably to eighteen months with AI.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: So, a lot of our big home appliance companies have been talking about.
Speaker 11: The Internet of Things and smart things and smart homes all these things. Now I don't think that's really, you know, really caught fire.
Speaker 7: I think with the advent of AI that you're.
Speaker 11: Going to see that enormously in the next year or two, and I think that will really power their businesses and obviously for one hundred and one hundred and one as we go along like that.
Speaker 1: And finally, let's talk Berlin for a moment. I don't think you're from here, but you probably know this city pretty well at this point. So what is Berlin all about?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, I can't quite yet do the JFK. It could be nine in Berlin. I mean, you know, so I've been here for about a year now and I love it, you know, it's I'm from London and it's it's strange. It's got a lot of similarity to London, many many different types of areas within the city, a lot of vibrancy. You feel the history and you're wandering around and you just feel that kind of you know, intensity about the city.
Speaker 7: It really kind of lives and breathes. You really feel that. And IFA has.
Speaker 11: Been here in IFA is at Berlin Institute if you like, one of the first things that I did in my role, because I've partnered with the city and you can become a partner of the City of Berlin. And we've tried to set up, as I said, this platform Berlin Tech Week where we do various activations around the city. That Iconic Platz is and there's a Soho house in Berlin so doing things there. We've got a gaming afternoon at a place called Level Lvl. There's any of your listeners that know Berlin a little bit, a big gaming impouring where we're.
Speaker 7: Doing some things there.
Speaker 11: So we're really trying to make that close association with the city.
Speaker 7: You know, we have a really good advantage Berlin.
Speaker 11: It's one of those cities that really lends itself to you know, it would be a shame to not use Berlin.
Speaker 1: If someone wants to come for next year, do you already have the dates?
Speaker 11: Yes, it's the sixth to the tenth next year, so slightly later for your listeners that want to come from the US. I think there's no clash with Labour Day, which sometimes you know, stops people coming from the US. So yeah, sixth and tenth of September, Marketing and daries please come.
Speaker 1: Oliver Merlin, Managing director for EFA Management, Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 7: Thanks very much. Be an absolute pleasure.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: If you want to learn more about IFA twenty twenty three or plan your trip for twenty twenty four, go to my website for more information. Rich on Tech dot TV more rich On Tech show coming up right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology at triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one and I'm told Green Day also German. Wow, the things you'll learn when you travel. Let's go to line three. Patty is in Santa Clarita, California, back home.
Speaker 9: Welcome to the show, Patty, Hi, thank you so much, so I'm hoping you can explain things in terms that I can understand, because I just don't get it. I got a new show because I went swimming with my old phone and my iPhone, and so I restored them backup, and none of my old text message threads came back. So I went to the Apple store and he was helping me out, and he said, it's something that needs to go to the next level because they can try to retrieve it from a different place that it gets stored. Even though I have my backups always on and I have my messages safe forever, they're no longer there. So I've had two people try to help me to try this, try this. Why didn't it back up? And how do I prevent this from happening in the future.
Speaker 6: Well, number one way to get them?
Speaker 1: Well there may be a way. So, okay, you got to explain number one, what happened to the old phone? Because phones, you know, the most of them are water resistant at this point, So what was it? An older device?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 9: It was an older one. It was an iPhone eleven and I guess it was in the water for too long.
Speaker 1: Okay, that that can explain it.
Speaker 9: So it got Yeah, so I couldn't transfer from that phone.
Speaker 1: Okay. So most phones are water resistant for about thirty minutes in the water, so now they could last longer depending on the situation and how deep it is. But basically, the deeper the phone goes and the longer it's in there are the deeper it is, the shorter it's going to be okay, because it more pressure builds up on the phone. So that's what's happening there. So the phone was a total loss, Like they couldn't retrieve anything.
Speaker 9: I could not turn anything on, and it was not like thirty minutes. It was like at the most ten minutes in the water.
Speaker 3: But I tried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So how did you restore the new phone?
Speaker 10: To back it up?
Speaker 9: I mean went to back up from one of the previous backups, like July twenty first, I had a backup to like twenty eighth, there was a backup, okay, So we tried to life eight. Didn't happen, was it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: From iCloud everything okay, always keep that up.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so do you have now you have that in iCloud? Do you have the uh, let's see, do you do you ever connect your phone to the computer if you have a backup there.
Speaker 9: I do have a backup there. I didn't connect it to the computer, but I try to access my messages on iCloud and I couldn't find them there. There's no there's no icon for I message when I go to iCloud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I know. This is the this is the beauty of what Apple has done here. They've made this incredible messaging service that is incredibly frustrating. Yeah, because people don't know where their messages are. They don't know how to find them. They're not. You would think you could just go to iCloud dot com and they would all be there, but of course they're not. You would think that you would be able to just open up the backup that they do on your computer and find your messages. You cannot. You would think that they would allow a third party app to go in on your phone and download your messages for safe keeping. They do not. Now some of this is because of security reasons, but most of it is because of Apple's stubbornness. Here's what I think. Number one, do you have messages in iCloud enabled on your phone? That's my first question. I do, And are you okay? So have you gone to I have to remember how to do this. I've gotta. So if you go to your Apple I D and you go to iCloud and then show all messages, is that toggled.
Speaker 9: On on my phone?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 9: Yes, well it is now at least I mean I know, I know I had it. I'm so sure that I had it because I am and how much?
Speaker 1: Okay, can you go to your phone? Can you go to your phone right now and see that? Because I'm curious what it says about managed storage?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 6: Hold on, let me check.
Speaker 1: I guess my phone. Okay. So you go to settings and then iCloud. Okay, that's the thing at the top.
Speaker 9: Okay, let me find it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean Apple ID, it says, he says settings Apple ID at the top, and then iCloud okay, and then show all apps using iCloud click show all Yes, and now that okay. Now when you tap that, does it say sync this phone? And how much managed storage are you using? Up there?
Speaker 9: It says, yes, I think this sto managed storage? One point four do the bikes?
Speaker 1: Okay? So one point four gigs? I have nine gigs, which, yeah, so I'm not sure that your messages are are there. Right, Here's what here's what I recommend if you want to see if these are on there. There's a couple of things you do. Do you do you have an Apple computer? I do, okay, So on your Apple computer, there is the same thing. If you go into your settings and you can go into your messages and there is a little I a little selection that says messages in the cloud. You toggle that on and it will attempt to download all of your messages from iCloud to your computer. That's one way. The other way. The other way is there's an app called Amazing, and this is a paid app, so it's gonna cost you some money, but I think it's about maybe thirty bucks. But you can download that and you can take that backup that you have from your computer and you can have this app analyze it and see if those messages are there. So that's another way, but I would only do that as your last resort.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The other thing you can do is you can go to something like an iPad and try to toggle on and off the messages in the cloud and see if they show up. But this is this is I'm telling you, it's not just you, Patty, there is no easy way to do this, and so I'm trying to explain it in the simplest terms. But these things are locked away in a system that nobody knows how to access. And I love the Apple said, you know the escalation all this stuff like, I'm not really sure what that means, but you know, these are the places that you can look for these. But it sounds like you've got a gig of messages and I'm not sure how many messages. How long have you been using this new phone?
Speaker 9: Oh, just like a month?
Speaker 1: Okay. The other thing you can do is if you're still are you still on your iPhone?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if you go to iCloud okay, okay, and it says device backups. Do you see that?
Speaker 9: Get it again?
Speaker 1: It says device backups yes, and then it says iCloud backup. If you tap that, it should give you a list of the older phones. Do you see your old phone in there?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay? How many gigs is that?
Speaker 9: It says fourteen gigs?
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a chance there's there's a chance that your messages are still in that backup. So if you try to restore you can either. I mean, I wouldn't want to do this, but you can try restoring that back to your phone and see if something got hiccuped during the transfer that's annoying. You should probably use an app like I amazing to extract that backup and then see if it can find the messages. But again it depends how valuable these messages are to you, because this is a lot of work, and it may be worth it to just kind of, you know, say this didn't work out and it's unfortunate. But it's definitely frustrating, that's for sure. It's one of those things where I wish I had a simple way. People ask me all the time, how do I back up my eye messages? How do I print them out? How do I do all this stuff? Yes, third party programs can help you do it, but they are still not perfect, and they're expensive and they cost money, and they may not work. But the I Amazing is probably your best bet if you want to try to extract these messages from the old backup. Thanks so much for the call today, appreciate it. Sorry that happened. I think you were doing the right thing. You had the backup on you had I message on you had the I message in the cloud on, but somehow this all got lost and it just shouldn't happen that way. Speaking of text messages, you are going to be getting an emergency test message very soon. FEMA and the FCC are conducting a test of the emergency alert system. If you are in the Los Angeles well, this is nationwide, but my point is if you are if you were in the Los Angeles area over the past couple of weeks when we had the earthquakes and the tropical storm and the hurricane, you got a lot of these wireless alerts, so you're pretty familiar with them. But FEMA's going to do a nationwide test and this will be sent to all cell phones in English and Spanish. They're also going to broadcast it on radio and TVs nationwide. This is the third and seventh test issued nationwide, so the third for the wireless emergency alerts, the seventh for the the one on TV, and basically they're just trying to make sure this all works. I have a feeling it does, and we're very familiar with it. But again, uh oh, I should probably tell you the date October fourth, Did I tell you that the message is going to say this is a test. It's gonna appear for thirty minutes. It'll appear for a minute on TV and cable and radio. But again, if you want to put it in your calendar October fourth, hopefully they'll do it when we're asleep. That would be very, very cruel. Hopefully it's during the day. But no matter what, even when you know this is coming, it still makes you jump because it's so jarring. You're listening to rich on Tech. Give me a call if you have a question about technology at triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich to bureau here hanging out with you talking technology. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions. You can find me online at rich on Tech, on Instagram, Twitter, slash x, Facebook, or you can go to rich on Tech dot TV. Phone lines are open at one eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. You can also email me. Just go to rich on Tech dot TV hit contact. That's what a lot of folks are doing let's see. Yeah, I'm broadcasting live from Berlin, Germany, my first time here. I've had more pretzels than I could ever imagine, than you could ever imagine. I've had pretzels for breakfast, let's just put it that way. Yesterday I had a pretzel for lunch, a butter pretzel, which I'd never had before. And yeah, so it's it's been a good trip. Let's go to line three, Durango, Colorado, Downtown Brown.
Speaker 12: You're on with rich Well Dudaben. Hey, I want to ask you a question about if you're traveling to another country like your you want to take your own phone. Do you need to get a new SIM card or do you need to rent a phone or what's the best way to do it?
Speaker 1: Good question. So a couple of things you need to do. Number One, call your carrier. Start with that, because depending on your carrier, many of them either include some level of international calling these days, or they'll charge you ten dollars a day if you take your phone to a different country. Now, for some people they may say, okay, that sounds really easy. Just keep in mind the data is typically limited when you do that. I think it's easier to get what's called an eSIM, so if your phone supports it. An eSIM is basically something that you just activate from an app on your phone. My favorite app is called Rolo Ai r Alo. In fact, that is powering the show right now. This show is running off of an eSIM that I have purchased from them, so the data is going strong. It works well. And what you do is you buy that from your phone before you leave the country. So you download the Aerlow app. You type in the country or region that you're going to. You can you know, it's basically cheaper to buy it for the specific country than the region, and you type that in. It tells you what your plans are. It's usually pre paid. You you know, pay fifteen bucks for five gigs of data, it lasts for a week. Maybe you're paying fifty dollars for thirty days that you know, twenty gigs of data. Whatever it is. They give you the options. Once you purchase it, you then install it on your phone. And the way you install it is you just basically tap a link. It will install the SIM card, the eSIM and then you don't need to activate it until you get to the country that you're going to use it. And so once you get off the plane, what I do is I'll toggle off data roaming for my primary carrier, and that way I could still use Wi Fi calling and I'll get my texts through the Wi Fi and then you toggle on the eSIM and it will take a minute to kind of find the network and turn on and activate, and then you're good to go. Now, esimsically only work with data, but I just actually open the airlow app and now they give you a phone number two if you want, so you can also roam with a foreign phone number as well. Now I don't really think you need that because you can easily just turn on your Wi Fi calling and still get your phone calls through Wi Fi of course, and your text messages through Wi Fi as well. So it has gotten a lot easier to travel to different countries because of eSIMs, because of the way phones work, because of the roaming agreements. It used to be a very expensive, very prohibitive and phones just didn't work in different places. Now they work pretty much everywhere. Now. On a separate note, there's another way you could do it. You can get a hot spot. So I've been testing this hot spot called Solace five G. SOLS Solace five G hotspot and it looks like almost like a battery bank with a screen and this has its own SIM inside. And what you do is you go on their website and you just say where you're going to go, and you can buy data on this and it becomes your own personal hotspot. You can connect up to sixteen different devices. And I think what this is handy for is if you are traveling with a family or a group, it's much easier. Instead of buying everyone a simcard or an e SIM, you can just activate this, tell everyone to turn on their WiFi. You keep this in your backpack and everyone can hotspot off of this. So they would connect to the Wi Fi on this little device and the battery has lasted pretty long. It's also a battery bank as well. So the plans. Now, the downside to this Solas five G is that you have to go with their plans. And it's easier because it's simple, but you know it's going to cost you a little bit more. So, convenience always comes with a cost, and that's what this gives you a lot of convenience. It works everywhere you can purchase one plan, you can go to a bunch of different countries, and the data lasts, let's see by the month, the day, or the gigabyte, and so they have a whole bunch of plans that you can purchase. I think it's actually really cool. If you have a bunch of devices like myself, If you bring a tablet, a laptop, a phone, you know you can connect them all to this device and it'll work no matter where you go. So you just throw it in your backpack, set it forget it now. Keep in mind, when you're in the hotel room most of the time you're going to get free Wi Fi. And in fact, around Europe and many other countries, free Wi Fi is pretty ubiquitous, so you probably need less data than you think. I'm looking at the data eSIM that I bought. I bought a twenty gigabyte card and I've only used about fourteen on my phone that I was using a lot. I told you I was testing the pixel fold. I mean I was using that a lot. Oh one pro tip you want to turn off if you're backing up your photos, especially through Google Photos or these other apps. You want to turn off roaming. Do not back up your pictures while you're roaming, and maybe turn off data backups completely unless you're on Wi Fi. So there's an option in the settings to turn off cellular data backups on all these apps that back up your photos. You're on vacation or you're on a trip, you're taking a lot of pictures. If your phone is uploading all of those pictures in real time, not only is it going to burn through your battery instantly, but it's also going to burn through your data really really fast. So those are a couple of the options that you have. They used to have another option where you could rent one of these Solas five G type devices and you can rent a hotspot. A lot of times, they are not doing that anymore. A lot of the companies that were renting them have gone out of business because data has gotten so cheap and eSIMs have gotten so easy, and finally, Downtown Brown, like you said, the other thing you can do is just buy a real SIM card and pop that into your phone. And so you could typically at the airport they'll have people selling SIM cards and they will help you pop that into your phone. I think that's a little tricky because not every phone is unlocked. Not every phone works in every place, not every SIM card will work on your phone. So to me, I think the eSIM, if your phone supports it, is really the surefire way. And I will tell you from experience. I don't want to put my mom on a blast here, but she went to Germany a while ago and she was able to activate her eSIM herself. And so it was one of these things where I was a little bit concerned because I set her up with it and I said, all you have to do is activate it when you get to the place you're going. And sure enough, it worked just fine, and it worked for her when people in her group could not figure out their text or their their data. So that was pretty cool. Great question. Thanks for calling from Durango, Colorado. Today. Let me tell you about Google. This was a very popular story I did on TV and I think you probably want to know about it. Google has this new feature that lets you remove your personal information from their Google Search results. This is information like your phone number, your email, your home address. Just go ahead and search yourself. You'll find all kinds of results with your personal information in it. Now Google is making it much easier to get this out of their search results. Now I say that specifically, it does not delete it from the website that posted it, but it makes it a lot tougher for people to find it because it's not going to show up when someone searches your name and address or phone number, and it won't show up in those search results. So this is a free service. It's called Results about You. Google introduced it last year. It was much more complicated. Now it is much easier. Google will actually once you tell them your name, your phone number, your address, your email. You can put in multi variations. I know you have to trust Google to give them that information, but they say they're not going to use it for anything else. But once you put that information in there, it will search the web on a daily basis to see if new sites pop up with your info, and if it does, it'll send you an alert and you can say, oh, can you get rid of that? And they will in many cases take it down, not all cases, but in many. So here's how you do this. Open up the Google app on your phone, iOS or Android, tap your profile icon in the upper right hand corner, and then select the option for Results about You. It'll say that in the menu You follow the steps to put in your personal information, and then you sit back and you wait. Google will send you an alert when it has crawled the web for your information, and it will say do you want us to remove these? You select the ones that you want to remove, and you press submit and Google will send you an email letting you know if they've removed them or not. This is not the end all to get your personal information off the internet, but it is a very good step in the right direction of of cleaning up some of that mess that you see on all these people find our websites. Again, it's not going to take it down off of those, but it will take it off Google search results, which is where ninety nine percent of people look when they're starting a search for someone. So again this is called Google Results About You. If you want those step by step instructions one more time, I've posted them to my Instagram. Just find me at rich on Tech and the post says do this today to protect your personal information, very very easy. Got a ton of feedback from folks. Many were skeptical, but many said rich It took me a couple of days, but it worked. I got a lot of my data off of there you are listening to Rich on Tech. The phone number to call in is triple eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one more rich on Tech coming your way from Berlin, Germany. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here at talking technology with you. Let's go to UH line to Sylvie in San Diego, California. Sylvie, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 13: I'm wondering about a recommendation for a video doorbell. The only one I'm really familiar with is ring, and then I'd also would like to plug in somehow to hear it upstairs when the doorbell rings.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it sounds like you want to ring, because that's exactly what they do. I think ring. They invented this genre of doorbells, and I still think they are one of the best. So okay, there you know some people you know. It depends kind of depends what ecosystem you're in. Are Do you have any smart home products?
Speaker 3: Yes, like what.
Speaker 13: Sonos We have another door bell, but I can't hook up to it, so I want to replace it.
Speaker 1: And what do you mean you can't hook up to it.
Speaker 13: On my phone? For some reason? Only my husband can hook up to it, and it doesn't have the option of it doesn't ring, so if I don't have my phone near me, I don't hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely a problem.
Speaker 13: Ring on my phone. It only rings on his.
Speaker 1: Now, do you want to do hardwired or do you want to do wireless?
Speaker 13: Probably wireless. I don't think we have the wiring.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think the ring is probably your best bet. The main thing is that you're probably going to have to subscribe to their basic service, which is I think it's anywhere between twenty to forty dollars a year at this point. I know everyone has raised prices, so i'd have to I have to check to see what the price is at this point. But what I like about the ring doorbell is it simple. It's ubiquitous. You know a lot of people have them, so there's a lot of them out there. They work well, They work across multiple phones, so if your husband wants to check it on his phone, you want to check it on your phone, you can do that. You can keep it pretty secure because they enable a two factor by default, which means other folks can't look at what's happening on your doorbell and they have that chime. So if you want to have it ring upstairs where you want to be, that's a good way to do it. You just plug in the little chime, you hook it up. It's very very simple, activate it in the app, and now you can hear your doorbell anywhere in the home. It's funny because they didn't have that when it first came out. And when I first got this thing, I was like, wait a second, I have to have my phone, Like, what if there's like a babysitter in the house, how are they going to hear the doorbell? Not that I really want them opening the door, but you know what I mean, Yes, does that sound like something that will work?
Speaker 13: Yes, it does. I know Ring was sold and so I didn't know if it was still the same good company.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean, look it's it's owned by Amazon now, so there is some debate over you know, and the founder recently left. So I mean that, you know, it tells you something. But I will tell you that I test a lot of stuff. I still think that the Ring video doorbell has some of the best features. It's the simplest and they, you know, as much as they are now pushing the subscription side of things. More, I think that they've got a lot of accessories, They've got a lot of you know, and a lot of people using them, and so I think in a lot of different versions too, So it depends you can you can choose. You can go on their website and see all the different doorbells they have. They used to have one, but now they've got, you know, several doorbells. And the cool thing is too, is that it does work with Alexa, it does work with other items in sort of their their ecosystem is is huge at this point, and so you can get lights, you can get cameras, so you can build upon the video doorbell, which is of course what they want you to do. So the basic video doorbell looks like it's about seventy bucks. They go up to one hundred and sixty. The new one is the video Doorbell four and those are the wireless ones. And what I recommend pro tip is to get two batteries so that you can swap out the battery without having to wait to recharge. And I can't take credit for that idea. What's up?
Speaker 13: Well, I was going to ask you you can put them anywhere you don't need a power source because their battery yep, rechargeable.
Speaker 1: Exactly, yep, yep. Now I wish the battery recharged faster, and I wish to recharge with USBC. Maybe the new ones do, but mine does not. But I can't take credit for the two battery set up. That was my friend Brian when he came over and he said, hey, you know, I said, oh, my ring. The only thing is that you guys switched the battery out. Depending on the battery lasts anywhere between three and six months. Now that is a wide range, and it could last even less depending on how all often you have your device set to record, how long you're making these recordings, and also if your doorbells in direct sunlight, that will wear down the battery faster too, But in general you'll probably get around three to six months, depending on how much you're using this thing. I find that I get on the lower end. I would say probably at this point, I'm getting like two months. But my batteries are a little bit older, and I do have it. My car got hit outside my house. That was a story I told in this radio show. And of course, you know, I like to have my thing running a little bit more these days because of that incident where it did not record because I had it set to not record as much. Anyway, that's my problem, Sylvie, not yours. Are you excited for this doorbell?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you'll like it all right. Thanks for the call, Sylvie. Check it out ring video doorbell and also get the chime and the secondary battery and I think you'll be set up pretty well. Coming up on the show, we are going to talk to Mark Vina. He is the principal analyst at his own company, tech smart Tech Research. Mark is a great guy. Met him this week at IFA. Very smart guy. We're gonna talk about the show. We're gonna talk about what Apple's doing. We're gonna talk about AI whole bunch of stuff coming up. Right here, you are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech, Rich DeMuro on location here in Berlin at IFA twenty twenty three. We are on the show floor. Joining me now is Mark Vina, principal analyst at Smart Tech Research. Mark. Thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: Rich, Thank you for having me all right.
Speaker 1: So, IFA twenty twenty three, this is my first year here. This is a large show, the only thing I really have to compare it to is CEES. How are they different?
Speaker 14: It's a tough compare because she yes, Obviously, it really caters to a US audience. It's a very much a B to B type of event, so consumers technically can't go to CEES. What I love about efan I've been coming here many years, is that it's got a tremendous international flavor, a lot of legacy. The show goes back to nineteen twenty four.
Speaker 2: The first color.
Speaker 14: Television was introduced here, the first European car radio was introduced here, So it really has kind of a not only an international flavor, but it has a strong entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. So not to say the cs IS doesn't have an equal level of innovation, but it really is a kind of different show because of the cultural international aspect of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really play up the fact that it takes place in Berlin and also the public is allowed to come to this show, which is one of the biggest questions I get about CES every year. People see it on TV and they say can I go, And I say sorry, it's press only in analysts. What do you make of the fact that the public is invited here.
Speaker 14: I think that's a huge differentiator and I wish CES would do that, but they will. I think it's a great way to be able to see things in action. There's no substitute. Despite the Internet, despite surfing and exploring and getting information on the web, there's nothing like touching and feeling products. And for example, if you're interested in the smart appliance for your kitchen, seeing just the incredible breadth.
Speaker 2: Of products around here, there's no substitute.
Speaker 1: For seeing that in person and also being able to talk to someone immediately. So if you're on YouTube, if you're online, you're reading a whole bunch of stuff. But to be able to talk to someone from the company and ask the questions that you have to me as a journalist, I always find that invaluable.
Speaker 2: That's a huge deal.
Speaker 14: And in addition to that, I would also say competitive comparisons. So you can go to LG, you can go to with Samsung Boo if you can see Hire, which is obviously a big European brand out here, and actually see the different models that compete with each other in one exact in one location.
Speaker 1: How has this show changed over the years, because in years past. When I tell people about EPA, they say, yeah, it's a lot of appliances. Has that changed?
Speaker 2: It has changed.
Speaker 14: I'd be going to the show for about just five years and the show has evolved quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Now it has a.
Speaker 14: Very strong smart home flavor to it, a very strong smart home component to it. I would say focus on sustainability. Just about every vendor here is not only offering great technology products that solve real problems, but sustainability, which is a huge, huge deal Europe, is absolutely reflected in the products that you see here. So that's become a big, big tenant here.
Speaker 1: There's the irony of sustainability with you know, products that you throw out or you know, people don't repair their tech as much these days.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, That's exactly right. And I think the thing that folks.
Speaker 14: Don't realize just we're talking about smart smart appliances, it's not just about convenience. The smart applying products, just to focus on that for a second, are incredibly efficient. I mean, without even ignoring the productivity advantages you get from the smart aspect of it.
Speaker 2: That it can do certain.
Speaker 14: Things with AI and other capabilities that are interesting. Now, if you're replacing a refrigerator at that's fifteen or twenty years old, You're going to see your savings and I would I would encourage people to check that out because it's just a huge opportunity that some people just don't appreciate.
Speaker 1: AI is obviously a big part of things. What do you make of the recent developments in AI? And do you see that here?
Speaker 2: Yes, you do.
Speaker 14: I think you see in a very smart and intelligent way here. Uh, the AI category I'm in love with. I think it offers enormous advantages and productivity benefits.
Speaker 2: There are aspects of AI that.
Speaker 14: Concern me a bit in terms of deep fakes and things like that that have obviously have a very negative connotation to it. But the AI thing is here to stay, and you see it actually integrated and a lot of different products that are very very practical. For example, I saw a demo the other day that they showed a robot vacuum that was intelligent enough to know that Let's say you it scanned your you gave it access to your email. Let's say you had a party the night before without you telling it, it would know the following day you know you had a party, so you probably want to get to the living room back. So that's a very very interesting productive way that you were seeing and doing. It's being integrated into products in a very useful manner.
Speaker 1: I would have never thought vacuum would want access to my email, but maybe my calendar. I'll start out slow now. One of the things that's really interesting about all of these tech trade shows is Apple. They pretty much don't attend in a big way with a booth or anything like that, but they really have an impact on every show.
Speaker 2: That's very interesting.
Speaker 14: You know, Apple does cast a very long shadow even when they're not here, they are here.
Speaker 2: It's hard not to.
Speaker 14: Go into a booth here, regardless of what the product is and not see that the vendor or fering the solution, regardless of what it is, is not compatible in the Apple ecosystem in some way.
Speaker 7: You have to be.
Speaker 2: It's almost like table stakes.
Speaker 14: If you're not part of the Apple ecosystem and you're not compatible in some way, you know pretty much you box yourself out from a pretty significant portion of the market. So even though they're not here, and by the way, there probably is Apple people here kind of checking things out. You know, they don't wear identification, But I am sure there are Apple pbo here because it's such.
Speaker 2: A big event.
Speaker 14: But every vendor here has an Apple element or an Apple attribute to their presence here at the show.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of Apple, a couple of big changes. We have a big event coming up from them on September twelfth. USB C is rumored to be a major switch for the iPhone and also Apple Vision Pro. Will we get an update on that? First off, the USB C, what impact do you think that's going to have on the electronics world.
Speaker 14: Well, I can tell you for myself personally, They'll probably be about ten pounds worth of cable, so I'll be able to get out of my bag as we kiss Lightning the Lightning interface goodbye.
Speaker 2: You know again.
Speaker 14: I doubt that will be the only announcement they make as part of the iPhone fifteen refresh. There are rumors around a much better camera, a telescoping lens for better zooming quality that I'll be interesting to see.
Speaker 1: They're not going to go one hundred times like Samsung though, Oh.
Speaker 2: I doubt they'll do that.
Speaker 14: I think that's going to be interesting is that there is some rumors that the price points may be going up. They may be adding kind of a iPhone Pro ultra Moniker, which that's a translation for we can raise the price one hundred and two hundred dollars. So I know the Apple's not immune to inflation. It's probably infecting them that way. But they want to continue to innovate, of course, and I think they'll be bringing some interesting technology. And they have to because, as you know, the smartphone category is flattening out. They have a very strong presence in the high end part of the smartphone market, and the only way you maintain that presidency you have to continue to innovate.
Speaker 1: Apple Vision Pro this is there. They don't call it VR, but it's VR ar headset. You got a demo, I got a demo. It's pretty incredible. Do you think we'll get an update on the progress at this year's event.
Speaker 2: I think we'll see something.
Speaker 14: I think we'll get some type of feedback on how they're doing with developers. I mean, there's been some news reported recently that the developers who have gotten demo units are freaking out in a positive way over.
Speaker 2: What they get, what they can play with.
Speaker 14: Because I'll remind the audience here that Vision is a literally a spatial computer that sits on your head. This is not just an accessory like an Oculus quest or some of the other hear this out there. It's really meant to be a computer in many, many different ways. And when you're if you're a developer and you have access to that type of technology, the applications are.
Speaker 2: Just mind blowing in terms of what we'll see.
Speaker 14: So I suspect we'll probably get an update on the developer component to it that they announced at WWDC.
Speaker 1: Okay, back here to IFA, twenty six different halls, one hundred and thirty thousand square meters. There is a lot to see here? Is there any way to see it all?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 14: The advice I give people who are lucky enough to come to this show is you have to almost treat.
Speaker 2: It like a trip to Disney World.
Speaker 14: You know, you've got the Magic Kingdom, you've got to have Cut Center, and then a.
Speaker 2: Number of other parks.
Speaker 14: You really can't knock it off from one day.
Speaker 1: All right, Now, maybe I'm nostalgic about, you know, the days of tech past, But because I was watching that movie BlackBerry, and then I watched Tetris. You've been doing this for a while. How do you think the tech industry has changed over the years.
Speaker 14: In some ways, it's different in many ways. It's rise and repeat, you know, from a technology standpoint. You know, when I walk around and I look at going to and see different products. You know, I was involved with a lot of the early consumer computers at Compac and at Dell years ago. And while the devices have gotten smaller and more efficient, the battery life have gotten longer. You know, silicon and silicon software is software. There's much more of a consumer flavor today than there was maybe twenty years ago with different products. So the consumerization of technology is much more prominent today than it was back in the day.
Speaker 1: Mark Vina, a principal analyst at Smart Tech Research. How can folks find your podcast?
Speaker 14: They can find me on my YouTube channel at a smart Tech Check podcast, Very very popular.
Speaker 2: Well, it's free, please.
Speaker 14: Sign up and you can find me on Twitter or x as it's now called at Marketing the Tech don All right.
Speaker 1: Mark, thanks so much for joining me today at IFA more Rich on Tech come in your way right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here closing out the show from Berlin, Germany, wanted to tell you about one product that I saw here that was pretty cool. A lot of people know it's getting a lot of press because it's kind of nice. You can turn your old speakers into Airplay compatible speakers. It's from a company named Eve. They make a bunch of smart home devices. They announce the Eve Play. So this adds Airplay two capabilities to existing speakers with digital and analog outputs. It has Wi Fi, Ethernet, optical coacs, and RCAA connectors, so that means that you can connect basically your old speakers and make them modern. So with Airplay too, you could do multi room audio. You can also pair them with HomePods and other Airplay speakers. This is going to go on sale November fourteenth, twenty twenty three. That's well, that's this year for one hundred and fifty bucks. This is called eve Play ev E. I've got a couple of things from Eve in the house. They were a big home kit producer and now they're doing everything with matter so that's the new smart home standard. Anyway, Eve Play. If you've got some old speakers you want to bring them into the modern world, you can do that with their new system. Gosh, I saw a lot of stuff I'm gonna I'll talk more about the products I saw next week because that'll give me time to put them on KTLA and then that way you can see video of these things. But I'm also going to post them to my social media as well. All right, let's get to the feedback segment. Let's see Paul says, Hey, Rich, I'm preparing for a cross country trip. I was wondering if you know of any route planning sites or app that would be good for identifying tourist attractions along possible routes for the trip.
Speaker 7: Oh, yes, I do.
Speaker 1: I did a story about this a couple years ago, and I've used a bunch of these apps. The first one is Roadsideamerica dot com. This will give you offbeat kind of things to find, you know, like the largest ball of twine. Then there's Atlas Obscura. This has twenty four thousand curious and unexpected places. You can get that on your phone as well. Atlas Obscura road Trippers is a good planning guide. They have three hundred extraordinary places. They also say they've been to these places, so they tell you a little bit more about that. Indispensable is an app called I Exit. This is an app that will tell you what's up ahead at the exit. So if you want to find that Krispy Kreme or that Chick fil A or that specific as food place, that cinnabon, this will tell you what's up ahead and the gas prices, so you may be able to save a couple of bucks just by stop at a gas station. That's you know, two exits ahead instead of one. And finally, another one is called Audio a u TiO. Kevin Costner actually had a hand in this app. This is ten thousand location based audio stories. So when you're driving through a place, it will give you little audio snippets of cool things that happened or the history or you know, interesting attractions. That's called Audio au TiO. Used to be called here here I believe, and now it's called audio. The other one I would I would tell you that's incredible and I've been using it on this trip well, and we talked about on the show we didn't interview, but it's called guide geek dot ai and if you want a really smart travel assistant to ask a bunch of stuff too. I have been using this all week here in Berlin and it is really really cool. So there you go. I'll put all those on the website as well. Let's see. Stephanie says, I'm currently going on a work related trip and we'll be leaving my children at the care of their nanny. Do you have any suggestions for a good discrete camera that has a long lasting battery for about two weeks? Stephanie, Well, I don't know. I guess I don't know if I can condone the spying on the nannycam, but if you have to, there's a website called spyguy dot com. Spy guy dot com. They made their name with a little camera thing that you can look for hidden cameras and airbnbs and it's called Scout. But they also sell a whole bunch of hidden cameras that you can prouse on their website again, spy guy dot com. All right, now for some comments, let's see. Oh gosh, so many. Greg says, I took your recommendation for the Google Pixel tablet on Amazon Prime Day. Thank you for the recommendation. It's my first tablet. I'm very happy. Okay, cool. The Google Pixel is their return to tablets. Tom says, hey, Rich, glad you had a safe journey to Berlin. I assume you went on United all the way. Did you have a chance to check out other carriers en route? Could you please tell me the name of that twelve South bluetooth transmitter for the airplane? Thank you, Tom. I did take United all the way very smooth. It was a connecting flight and I had no issues whatsoever. It was I love when that happens, when it was just literally comfortable from takeoff to landing both times and really really no issues whatsoever. Thank you United for that. It's called the twelve airfly by twelve twelve South airfly is the bluetooth transmitter. Let's see em says when you're talking about the Rob Thomas being from Germany, you said, where's my bell? But they had applause instead. We could hear the applause. H Bobo, that's that's you know what. Look when you're when you're doing a show from Berlin. We've got people all over the world doing this show right now coordinating. So I'm I'm just glad we got the show. But yeah, we're gonna we're gonna work on drops a little bit more. Bobo, I know likes doing them. We haven't really coordinated that so we will, we will coordinate more drops.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Stephen says Rich, I listened to you all the time, but could you improve your show by pausing between sentences some silence and try to cut out. But you know and so well, but you know, so Stephen, you do the show. It's tough. I'm a TV guy. I'm learning radio, so you know. There you go. Jim says, hey, it's actually pronounced yeomen. Oh this was from last week. I said yeoman. I guess what does that mean? Yeomen yeoman. That means uh, a servant in a royal or noble household. Okay, oh, someone called me a yeoman. I called a yeoman. It's a yeoman. Thanks for that. Let's see. Ron says, I have a Note on my Samsung nine. I'm disappointed that I've had the phone three years, bought it new for one thousand bucks. Now they say they're not going to support it and do updates. These phone companies expect you to renew your phone every couple of years. I guess this phone for one thousand dollars should last me ten years. I like the Note nine because it has a headphone jack, which the new ones do not. And if you want to get radio like talk radio. Yeah, I like that, and over the airwaves. The headphone acts like the antenna. In addition, when you upgrade to new phones, you lose information and apps. You have to redo everything. It's a real pain in the neck. Oh I should know, Ron, because I do that like every three weeks when I'm testing out a new phone. I agree, But I do think phones last pretty long. Three years and a lot of the carriers now are or a lot of the phone makers are given like four years maybe five of security updates. I got to check on Samsung, though, but they are doing pretty well. Note nine has been out for a while. Let's see here. Randy says, someone asked about clean up tools for their Windows PC. Let me give you my list. Did I already mention this? Bleach bit, auto runs, glary utilities, malware bytes, revo on installer, cleaning out all of the apps you do not use in the Window. Apps that come with Windows should be removed if you do not use them. I would agree with that, all right, if you can believe it, that is going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to richontech dot TV. This is show number thirty five. We're still a baby here. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. If you want to see my Berlin trip in quite detail, I just made a highlight so if you go to my profile it says Berlin It's got the Pretzel. You can check out all the cool stuff I did here. I'll be back in the States next week gearing up for events from Apple and Google. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. I know, believe me. I just read a small sample of the many, many messages I get every week via email, Instagram, text, whatever. Thank you. Thank you to everyone who makes this show possible, including Kim, Bobo, Bill and an army of engineers, especially when I'm halfway across the world from Berlin, Germany. My name is rich Dumuro. I'll talk to you real soon.