Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Rosie Night and I'm Joel Monique, and welcome back to xtra Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. We're here at iHeart Podcasts where we bring you two episodes a week, every Tuesday and Thursday, and sometimes a little special episode like this. Shout out to our producer Aaron for the new spooky edition of the theme song that you will be hearing for the entirety of October because we are just spooky guys over here and we love spooky Caesars.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we're diving into the air lock. We're joined by the experts horror genre author Incha fits Pat and we get real girly with Incha about why we love to be scared in our favorite bab movies to dive into and get started on horror. So please enjoy that conversation. We had a lot of fun. Then we went on to Who's Who. Everyone will share their most terrifying movies they've seen recently. Ooh recent horror check it out?
Speaker 2: Oh baby. So yeah, if you are a scaredy cat and you want to know about start horror, we cover that and then in that Who's Who, Baby, we're going to be scaring you, so do not watch those if you are easily scared. And with that said, without further ado, let's get into our Halloween horror convo with the wonderful inch of Fitzpatrick woo So Joelle. The reason that we are exploring these two things today start a horror and why horror came from a conversation that we had with our super producers, who are not necessarily horror lovers and A Boo do not love horror movies?
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh, it was funny when we pitched them in the meeting. We were like horror in October. They were like, I don't where would we even? What would we contribute? What would it happen? I was like, okay, we're going to divide and Concker. So they're actually working on a secret project that I cannot leave for this to reveal. And while they're doing that, the ladies of X ray Vision were like, were you in horror for October? Okay, we were embracing it, but A Boo had a great question.
Speaker 2: He was like, why horror? Like why do we like it as viewers? Why do we like it as creators? And we also have a lot of discord users and listeners in our amazing X ray vision community who don't love horror and who don't like gore, and who will listen to us talk about it but won't watch it themselves. So I also wanted to kind of dip into the idea of start a horror like, what's a good spooky thing to watch that isn't scary, but that you could test your boundaries with. So those are all the little magical ingredients going into our spooky season cauldron. And to join myself and Joelle, I wanted to make sure we had a horror expert and someone who was not only an expert in the very scary, gory, French new extremism spooky murder horror, but also an expert in kids horror. And that is why we are very happy to have the wonderful inch of Fitzpatrick joining us on the show. Insha is a New Jersey based author who loves all things horror. She's the writer of the Totally Factual Guide to the Supernatural series with Quirk Books, the graphic novels of Titchuba and Rosa Parks for hu HQ, and the co author of the graphic novel series Oh my Gods. When she is not writing, she's catching up on horror movies, learning to write TRPGs, and watching reality TV, as well as texting me because we became friends while I was covering the Total Factual Guide of the Supernatural series Inja. Thank you so much for joining us, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, thank you for having me. That was like a ballard.
Speaker 3: Because now I want to be besties with Inha too. I'm like, oh my god, write tabletop RPGs. We will have to chat after the call. There's not enough time. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: This is a three way call that could go on for a very long time, guys, but don't worry. This is gonna be snappy, well edited, beautifully smooth episode of Extra Vision, and the three of us will have a real freeway call off the air. But yes, yeah, I'm just so happy to have you here.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're thrilled and I okay, I think a good introduction might be if we talk about, like our introductions to horror for sure, where we started, Rosie, if you told this story on Extra Vision before.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I have. I probably have mentioned it at different times, but I would definitely say there are some key horror moments for me. I had uncles who would show me wild to play, you know, Classic Chucky.
Speaker 3: That was definitely early one.
Speaker 2: We had a bootleg tape bootleg tape of Texas Chainsaw Massacre because that was banned in the UK till two thousand and one, so that definitely had a taboo moment. But I would say the most important. Those are both very scary and obviously not great start horror. But I will say the movie for me that I have talked that do not watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre if you are like a child. But those are not the recommendation. Maybe I'm just I'm not your parent, But I would say for me, the most resounding movie that got me into horror and the genre as a whole as a child. In the UK, we only had four channels when I was growing up, BBC one, BBC two, ITV and Channel four, and those channels would regularly show kind of the same movies every Bank holiday, every time there was a long weekend. And one of the movies that they would always show is the very strange Disney sequel to Wizard of Oz that was called Return to Oz and it stars Ferusia Bulk as Dorothy. And when the movie begins, she is in an insane asylum and she is about to get electric shock treatment, but she escapes with the help of a chicken who takes her back to Oz. This is a real movie, guys, real movie, and takes her back to Oz where everyone has been turned to stone by an evil queen named mom Bey, who turns everyone to stone and then chops off people's heads and replaces her own head with other people's heads. It's still one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. I love it deeply. For years, it was very very hard to find. I have it on VHS, I have it on DVD, but fantastic news it is now on Disney Plus. One of the movies that got kind.
Speaker 3: To terrify all.
Speaker 2: The thing that actually scared me the most was none of what I've talked about. It was a creation that I do believe they made up for the movie. A lot of this stuff is from the frank Os later Wizard of Oz books, but they there is this creation called the Wheelies, and they go Their hands and legs are both like stilts that are attached to like roller skates and they look kind of like ravers or something, but they kind of chase Dorothy around Oz and when they come the music gets very chaotic and I was so so scared of them. But that was for me definitely the kids movie that I watched a lot that I it made me understand horror. I have memories of being scared of it, but I also started to think like, well, this is the kind of horror that I like, and I you know, Ferujah Bolk and that movie as Dorothy is essentially like a ten year old final girl, like she's gonna save the day, So I and a lot about it from horror. So that's definitely like was my real introduction rather than like the kind of spooky night stuff that I shouldn't have watched that really just scared me. That was the one that made me think like, oh, maybe this is something that I could enjoy like, but it still scared me like a lot and I would kind of hide behind my hands. So yeah, definitely return to OZ. Terrifying movie. Highly recommend and a child can watch it.
Speaker 3: Yes, totally, especially if they're into horror, sort of like Chucky. As you say, we have to discussed the cultural differences with British horror and the week like the fairy Tales. I was telling you, Oh, it's the very sanitized American stuff we gee because like I didn't see that movie be till I was way older, and I was like, oh, this is terrifying.
Speaker 2: You actually make a really good point, Joelle, because I will also say for me, I have a book of Grim's fairy Tales that I still have the same book as like one of the few things I have from when I was a kid, and that book was a book I got from the bookshop where my mom worked, and it had every single real Grim's fairy tale with all the horrible ending. Oh, they're gonna they're gonna make Cinderellis step mom. She's gonna have to dance to death in iron shoes as a you know, punishment. Oh, there's a work toes to get into see exactly. My favorite one is like the mom who the step mom who takes the place of her daughter, and I think this is the Golden Goose girl and she makes the daughter basically be her servant, and then when they find out what she's done at the end, they're like, Babe, what would you do? If somebody did this and she's like, oh my god, that's so bad, Like I would definitely never do that. If that was me and I was in charge, I would like put a barrel and I would hammer nails into it and then I'd like roll them down the highest hill and they were like, well, guess what, bitch, you did it, and that's what we're gonna do to you. And I was always like, Festival, why didn't you just say like I would forgive them. I would forgive them and just like give them a nice easy life. No, like you set yourself up. But those kind of Grim's fairy tales were definitely another big entry point for me and show what about you as the kid's horror maven that you are? What was your entry point?
Speaker 1: Ooh that I mean here, here's the problem with me as as a living human being growing up throughout the years.
Speaker 5: I did not start from a acute place like I love Return Return of Uz used to be like my favorite movie, and then also like watching The Whiz, Yes, like was my foundational being. Like that's terrified, but at the same time, like not too terrifying, because I'm just like that's a lived experience, but like I didn't start with like and I don't I don't suggest anybody start from this place, but like I started my hard journey with like the.
Speaker 1: Essentials, where the essentials are not the essentials that a kid should be watching at like maybe like six or seven years old, Like I watched Rosemary's Baby very young. Oh my, I'm got And I watched The Exorcist wait the word, and like that was like my entry points of being like I love this. I think it's also because of the fact that like I went to a religious school and so like actually seeing like the Exorcist, like on thing, I was just like I can get possessed by a devil, but also like I'm not opposed like that, I can just like project alvomina people like I when I don't want to talk to them, what but I will say. Like my my soft introduction to horror had to be like William Castle movie. Yeah, like thirteen thirteen Ghosts was my number one thing. I used to watch it all the time. I had to, like because.
Speaker 4: We didn't have like those what is that called?
Speaker 1: It was like the gimmick that he had for thirteen Ghosts with like the red to see red to not see the ghost and the blue to see the ghosts or was it the opposite way, Like I had to make shift that when I was a kid because I really wanted to see all the ghosts and but like he was my intro intro and I think also Alfred Hitchcock, Yeah, which you would nobody would expect that, But it's just like I started.
Speaker 4: With Rope and then went to Psyche.
Speaker 2: Was another one. I I got that from the I got that from the film shop in Stoke, Newington with my friend Donal when we were both about ten and Wrope was like a very formative one for me too well so, and I think you strike on something really good. I would say, let's add it to the recommendation list. If you're listening to this and you're not sure if you love horror, I would say William Castle movies are a fantastic place to start. House On Haunted Hill is one of my all time favorite movies and one of my most rewatched movies. It's streaming everywhere for free vincent price, and it is like totally fun, totally cozy, totally watchable and totally not terrifying in a modern context.
Speaker 1: And like every single time you watch it, you get something, you do it. It's almost just like you kind of like see the relationship between like between the price and wife and you're just like, that's toxic as hell. I don't want that. But at the same exact time, it's just like if I get to like like if I get to like give her her come uppins at the end of the day, it's like karma is It's like, yes, thank You's Joelle.
Speaker 3: Shuirlie Jackson or the hell out of the Hunting.
Speaker 2: Film literally okay, okay, oh my god, seriously, The Haunting, the Zero's one. I will say, let's add that to the list too, because that was a big movie for me as a kid, Liam Neeson. Tons of people in that. Maybe Matthew Lillard is in that movie. I may be imagining it. If not, he's definitely in the thirteen Ghost remake and he's wonderful. But The Haunting, I watched that at my friend Alex's house, and I remember really deeply feeling like I was worried about watching it, but then when I watched it was totally watchable and like an easy way. Catherine Zia Jones is in that movie. I watched it recently. Again, she's fantastic. So that's another great one, Joelle, good call. Even the bad ones, even the bad Shirley Jackson adaptations are usually good because she did so much brilliant stuff. Joelle, what is what was your early horror entry point?
Speaker 3: Sure? Okay, So I had a father who was uninterested in what was age appropriate. He was just very excited to share a movie. So I if I like Zack the memory of like her film watching right, my earliest memory is I'm like four, I think, yeah, I would have been four watching Jurassic Park. Wow. And my brother's too. And when the dinosaur comes in, he's not about it. It is horrifying. I'm leaning full tilt in my seat, like what, I terrified? But I love it. And the kids are so like I feel like children in that movie that it was very easy to like sort of just grab yourself onto them and be like, how am I gonna like right away from dinosaurs? And it's so scary and I really loved it. Okay. The next one is crazy. It's insane. Alec Baldwin in nineteen ninety four made a movie called The Shadow No Talk there. That's a comic, sharp toothed im like metal demon that comes to light. It's so scary. I had nightmares and my dad was like, how are you afraid of this movie? He was embarrassed and child me. He was like, it's not even scary, it's a movie, and I was like, it's horrifying.
Speaker 2: No, No, you just touch on something really interesting there, which I do think another entry point to horror is like movies that are not meant to be scary. I always remember I went to see The Mask at the cinema and at the end when the villain, this guy put on the mask and he kind of looked like Frankenstein. I was so so scared of that. That definitely was like way scarier to me than some of the out there adult stuff i'd seen that I probably didn't really understand. So I think you touch on something really good. And also, of course bringing it back to comics, Joel, you're sort on brand. You're so fantastic. You know what we need.
Speaker 3: I try to stay in this, trying to stay in the realm.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what's your next one? What's your next one? We're coming up with quite a good list, and I will say this list will be in the show notes, so then you can easily go through it.
Speaker 3: Yes, so okay, So then I get shown, uh trap, what is the sit here? It's a it's like a war movie with the bugs movie to you, not a terrifying movie. But saw it as it was coming out way to really the whipping scene freaked me out, and but again there was and then the bugs. I don't like bugs, like this is so much, But something about like challenging yourself to sit down and watch and stay through to the end became like really addicting to me. I was like, oh, I can watch things that terrify me, get the feeling of fear with the knowledge of safety, and I think I got really into that. So then I got like my actual like starter horror I think would be like The Nightmare before Christmas. I would just repeat the intro over and over again a long time ago long. But now then it seemed I was take me away to a magical fantasy world. Is that scary and also romantic? Listen, I straight up will step in. I was this is so great, and from there anything which is spooky. I think what really made me feel like an independent horror fan Because I had older cousins and my dad would show me. You know, we watched Nose Faratu when I was young, and like every Sunday, my dad and I would watch an old movie and he would like oorate the history of the movie and then his personal history with the movies. It was like learning about him and learning about films and like history. But I discovered on my own Dead Silence, and that became the movie that like defined a young like cinophile Joel where I was like, no one has seen it, and it's such a problem for me because it is great horror films of all time. Please sit down and watch it. It's got creepy dolls, a great witchy old lady, like a cranky I love a cranky old man. Like really, my whole life, I've been like, where's the cranky old man I can be best friends with? And I'll just be like the sunshine to your crank, Like I really want it. I'm gonna manifest it one day. Anyway, I was like, he's cranky old detective and he's mad at everybody. There are gruesome, horrifying kills, but it's funny as hell. I love Dead Silence, and I really felt like okay, having this movie and it's a childish thing. But like having this movie and being quote the only one who's seen it. Yeah, it made me feel like special and connected and that I would get into behind the scenes. And I really kicked off like a DVD journey where I was like, look at all these great movies, maybe that wouldn't reach my four I think we had like six theaters, seven inside of my one movie theater, and so we didn't get all of the movies that were out. It was really up to the theater manager. And so yeah, so that's that's sort of how I got into it. And it was my first like I loved like the little doll, like this is my first monster that I'm like really connected to. That's not you know, your stereotypical like Jason and stuff. So anyway, that's what I got into. I really liked it. And then for me, it like I don't know, it made me feel bold. Do you guys remember watching Okay, two questions, how did like watching horror early make you feel? And then two did anyone think you were strange for how much you were into horror as a child?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? And should go ahead baby?
Speaker 1: Well for the second one, absolutely, especially like being because like I primarily went to like mostly diverse schools, but at the same exact time, in that diversity, it was just like I was the weird kid.
Speaker 4: I was always the weird kid.
Speaker 1: I was a weird kid who loved comic books and just really wanted to just talk about movies all the time. And I just wanted And then it was like at a certain point, I'm just like, I just want to talk about horror for the rest of my life, and I really just want to find like my people, and I like kind of stay to myself and mom about like my interests and what I liked until I became an adult, and I was just like, I just get to collect things.
Speaker 4: Now I have adult money.
Speaker 1: I get to do funny things with my adult money, like collect a bunch of like horror DVDs, Like it's too many now.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, I'm just like when I stop, absolutely not. But also what was the first question, I just like the second question, like I understand and time.
Speaker 2: Do you remember like the way that horror made you feel when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: Ooh, it's gonna sound it's gonna sound strange, but it made me feel like I wasn't alone anymore, Like I could connect with a lot of like my seminal like stuff coming up too was like a lot of like, you know, monster movies. So it was kind of just like having like getting to sit there and getting to watch like the monster and almost relating to the monster in every single way. And it made me and then like even growing up and like watching stuff like with women that I really admire in horror and seeing the Final Girls develop, and also watching a couple of like movies that like I would never be into. I was just like, this genre just doesn't it makes it doesn't make me feel alone anymore. It makes me feel like I'm watching something that will last long with me that kind of outwardly looks at my emotions and kind of mirrors.
Speaker 4: It back to me. And I need that a lot.
Speaker 3: Because think about think about what gets peddled to like young girls as far as like this is what you should be watching, or this is like like if I like and listen, this is not a dis on anything. I love a rom com. I love romance as a child. Watching these things, I was like, the prize for all this effort seems not worth it. I was very confused most of the time when they were like I got my guy, I like him, put you is not worth it, that's not a worthwhile prize. Or you had princesses, which I was where I was not, and so I was like where do I go? But in horror you have usually an extremely intelligent woman who's like, yo, the world terrifying, check men awful, got it run like get out, like use your brains, your wits high, and then she gets to live hopefully at the end. What a win? Or understand what you made me?
Speaker 1: Like I felt seen, yes, and especially like growing up after like a bunch of years and like how you said, like kind of seeing like these different genres like take on, especially women because it's kind of just like I can't relate to like like Jennifer Lopez, like getting hauled in the back of like a chuck and that like out of sight, Like I can't like I can't relate to like Jennifer Aniston. I can't relate to like any of these people, Like I can't even relate to like Sanah Lathan and like loving basketball, I would love you, but at the same time, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Not having the same experiperiences walking down the street, okay, and the films made it very clear, and Catwoman.
Speaker 4: We absolutely can't.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, also, but you can relate to Sona Lethan as one of the original Black final Girls in a VP because suddenly you survive this terrible experience and it's not based around some kind of beautiful version of what like love is supposed to be some cinematic thing. Instead, it's about surviving a really terrible job which we all have to do.
Speaker 1: And maybe getting down with a predators.
Speaker 5: You know, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Guys have kind of perfectly segued into us, into the why of it all. So I think we've really a lot of like why it spoke to us early on, and I think I think that that idea of safety while exploring what scares us is huge. I will also say for myself, I definitely did have some road bumps on the way because I have I definitely struggle with like rumination and I saw this absolutely fantastic movie, seminal movie called Cube at Sleepover when I was around eleven years old, and it absolutely just destroyed me for like two years where I was just like I couldn't I was so worried about the idea of waking up somewhere else, like not being in control of where I was. And now years later I'm like, oh, it's because your parents were going through a divorce and everything was like mad fucked up at home. So even in that way, even though at the time it felt like it was solely about cube and this terrifying nature of those kind of trap rooms horror where you wake up somewhere else, my body and my brain were using horror to process something I was going through. So even though it wasn't a pleasant experience, I look upon that as a way that even back then, horror was helping me deal with something I couldn't process in real life. So I was using fiction to process it, which I think is a huge thing for a lot of us. And I do think as well that you both touched on something really fantastic, which is the nature of like women in Horror and the Final Girl and why that is so kind of profound for a lot of us. Like Joelle, you said, at the end, she gets to survive, you know, like, isn't that just all what we want really at the end is like can we can we survive something terrible that happens to us, and do we get to do it in a way that.
Speaker 3: It's almost always like a bright new day exactly.
Speaker 2: I think a lot that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always like the sun is coming out there getting away, even if the monsters are fully consumed or crushed, like they're trapped in a way that immediately gives them like a head start to get away. And it's beautiful. It's one of the reasons this might be a segway. Sorry, the Drag Me to Hell? What's so profound for me? And I think potentially the starter horror it's oh man, like you just you think she's out there?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I think you touch on something really important because as you grow with horror, we know the tropes, we learn the tropes, we love the tropes, we know the final girls. Then we start delving into like where does the final Girl come from? Well, actually it comes from black exploitation horror. It comes from Scream, Dracula Scream, it comes from you know, uh ganjen Hess like and as you learn more, then a movie like Dragged Me to Hell, which sets up a trope you think you understand, but then takes it away from you and takes away the expectation becomes very powerful and becomes very shocking.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you guys as creators of this.
Speaker 2: That's why I was gonna go to Joe so clever, Oh my god, not so linked.
Speaker 3: So I'm curious of, like we know the power of horror. We've talked a lot about how it's impacted our lives. Maybe these big, like monumental changes in our lives, and that sort of guided us in how we you ourselves When you're crafting horror for younger audiences, do you guys We kind of asked arl Stein the same question, do you guys have like a directive in mind? Is there something you're trying to do with the horror insha?
Speaker 2: I would say go for it, because I do feel like the supernatural feel guides. They feel like you are trying to make that connection known to kids, and you're giving them this space where it's okay to explore. So is that something that you were like intentionally going in with that you wanted to make them feel less alone? Or is that something that just comes from your own experience that you end up putting into these books.
Speaker 4: I think a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: I think that I like don't want like I always used to say, like I don't want to sugarcoat things because things are like there's some important aspects to a lot of what goes into the supernatural, what goes into our open mindedness, and what goes into having an open heart that like you had you you would want to explore. So with a lot of the Supernatural books, the thing that I really wanted to get through to everybody, and I know the entire core team did too, was like keep an open mind, keep an open heart, and just keep an open, like you know, perspective of like what could happen in the world. For me writing it, it's very difficult because I'm just like I just I want to tell you all the gross, gritty gory details about like anything that's going to happen. And I even kind of like fought a little bit to have Chilling with Ghosts, like a little section just about death, yeah, because I was just like, we have to we have to tell them like this is what it is, like, this is just how it goes anyway. So like yeah, so it's kind of just like from the start to the finish, this is what we need and this is what I want to bring to the table. And I think because of my own experience with horror in general, and then also like keeping that open mind and open heartness for you know, going through all these supernatural journeys and having like some supernatural things like happen to me and myself. So it was kind of just like I just want everybody to have a good time, but also this is so hard. Yeah, so I want to break. I wanted to bring that dual perspective, but yeah, it's it's a but in me writing it, it's a little difficult because like again I just want to bring you all of the gory details about like this is what happens when you get mammifha.
Speaker 2: I mean stuff like when I was a kid, I had I had gotten a copy, a second hand copy from like a car boot sale, of the Poisonous Handbook, and it was just like all that it was just really scary things. In England we have this great series called Horrible Histories where they do tell you about how you get mummified and which kings died from people shoving like hot spikes up their butts while they were sleeping and all this kind of grotesque stuff. And I think now like kid's horror has transitioned into this place of YouTube of five Nights at Freddy's, games like Granny, these kind of terrifying things that are helping kids find that that space. I have yet. I've done one true kid's horror, which was The Haunted High Tops, and that was really great because it had a framework of like a Twilight Zone esque twist. So I think that was something that was really fun for me to play with. And with that, there was some really interesting thing balance, because, like you're saying, Shure, you want to show something that's scary or real, but you've got to work out like what can I show what's acceptable? And in that story, as the title may have hinted, it was about a pair of haunted trainers who haunted sneakers, and the idea was when he put them on, he would become really fast, he would get you know, good good at pee people are celebrating him, but he can't control them, kind of like the Red Shoes. And so there was a moment where I wanted to show how do you show that something scary is happening, because so far we've only really seen the good. It's it's eerie, but it's good. He's good. At class people his friend is like, bro, something's going wrong here. So I was like, well, I think I'm going to have him. We established early on that he loves animals, so on the way home, I'm going to have it so that the shoes try and kick a dog, like they try and kick this dog that he knows in the neighborhood. And it was such a fine balance of like making sure that he didn't actually kick the dog, like he the shoe takes over and he kicks, and he manages to stop it and he kind of kicks a trash can, but like with my editor, we had to be like, he can't hurt the dog, Like that's like the step too far, you know. And I think that kind of thing is very interesting because I do think for a lot of us when we're young, a lot of our empathy is towards like animals, and those are the stories. Like one of the things that traumatized me the most before Cube was The Fox and the Hound. By the end of it, I was just absolutely like I was done for. There was absolutely no me like it was it was the children. Yeah, like Disney has done a lot of damage to a lot of us. But Joelle as you as somebody who is also a storyteller and who is into genre storytelling, Like what draws you to horror? Why is that something that you want to explore as a genre for all ages? Like what is it that makes you want to say, this is the thing I'm going to invest my time in.
Speaker 3: I think, in the same reason that I was like drawn into true crime more than I create a lot of history books that specifically center around war. I am vastly curious about the depths of destruction man is capable of, and I think that horror gives us an outlet to explore that in a safe way, and it also has great survival tips. I really appreciate its, like, actually, people can be really cruel. Be aware here, like people that smile might not be smiling you for the right reasons. Like that sort of vibes like sort of like a candy man as situation, where like the villain is not who you think it is. Like that to me is really appealing because I think I I grew up very sheltered and with a lot of privilege and love, and I horror sort of brought me into the real world in a way that was necessary as a kid, you know, I think if you're for all really for all children, like at some point you learn, hopefully not too soon, but like the world can be a really scary place, and horror gives us a space to process that fear and try and try to figure out how we want to manage it. And I like that a lot about horror. I think a lot of my favorite I was thinking about what stories brought me into horror, because the movies are really about like the visual images and like the immediate sensation, whereas horror for me in books is much more cerebral and like my favorite books were like The Green Ribbon and The Yellow Wallpaper over and over again, classic writing like Seminal Horror.
Speaker 4: Wait, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You also love the Yellow Wall Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: At a very early age I was reading it obsessively.
Speaker 4: Nobody that I ever known. I love The Yellow Wallpaper.
Speaker 1: I had like four different copies of that book because I love it.
Speaker 2: So Listening to the beginning, the beginning.
Speaker 6: Of a viewiful friendship is here, guys, I have appeal that it's here. I Joel, I think you also touched on something really fantastic, which we can kind of talk about a little before we go is. Let's talk a little bit about books, because I do think that's a huge thing folklore tales.
Speaker 2: The Green Ribbon. Everyone knows that one Yellow Wallpaper. You two are both queens of taste, clearly because that is just one of the most fantastic stories ever written written by Charlotte Charlotte Perkins Gilman from like the late eighteen hundreds. But let's talk a little bit about how books were also that kind of space, because I was reading books I definitely should have been reading as a kid, but I felt a lot of safety within that space to explore. Like I was reading reading Clive Barker, I was reading scary stories to tell in the dark, which I'm sorry, but those are some of the most terrifying stories of all time. I was reading Stephen King.
Speaker 3: So I didn't realized the Green Ribbon is from a book of like I read Level two.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm like that, guys like terrifying.
Speaker 4: An entire generation.
Speaker 2: In show what was some of your kind of first horror books that you that you kind of found that space in.
Speaker 1: The Hunting of Hill House was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shelly Jackson for Life, Carrie, Oh, yeah, def I read that very because Carrie.
Speaker 1: It's so The thing about like Carrie too is Carrie is so when you're growing up at a certain as I was growing up that like in the nineties. It was like my first actual horror book. Yeah, and it's still very much like I think it. I think about it all the time. I love every iteration of the Carry movies because I'm just like they all bring a little bit something different to the story. But at the same time, that book, that book will never ever ever leave my mind. Pet Cemetery was also another one because like, I was dealing with a lot of animal grief at a certain point in my life and that one really helped a lot. And it helped me because I just recently lost my cat, so like it helped me again like process those emotions.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's not.
Speaker 1: And oh god, you know what, Okay, it's not a horror book. But I feel like, if I mean the the adaptation is basically all the adaptations are basically sci fi horror. Who goes Oh yeah, yeah, because it is terrifying actually to read it and you are kind of like not expecting it's basically like, so who Goes There is basically like the adaptation that became or the book that became the Thing and the Things from Other World. Yeah, and it's so weirdly well done. Also Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the original issues.
Speaker 3: I haven't read the book, so I'm going to download it immediately as soon as we get off of this call. But I was obsessed with the original movie, like the original Household in the Hill, the Invasion of the Body Snatchers, those were like very early film. My dad was like, you're gonna love these and he was like one hundred percent right, like this idea of like who is inside of these bodies? Or especially I think when you're like I was introduced as a preteen, right, so I'm like thirteen fourteen somewhere in there, and I remember identifying the fact that all my friends felt like they were changing really fast. Yeah, we're all in the stage of evolving really quickly. And it was like, who are these people that I thought I knew yesterday that are feel completely different that's the day. And I was like totally drawn in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is so it is social. It's so like emotionally devastating to like if you if you read that, then also do a double feature and read the Stepford wise, the control, the control over your body in these books done. Like if you read an Era like an Ira eleven book, like even if you read like The Rosemary Baby like the original book. No, like I had to do my entire final senior thesis of college and I was so happy I did. It was literally the agency of Rosemary's like Rosemary's body a Rosemary's Baby, and I was so excited because I was just like she had none the end.
Speaker 2: But you're like, this is this is an easy argument to make. Well, I want to say I want to say thank you to inch of for joining us. I want to say thank you to Joe All for joining me and coasting on this. I also want to say it's very clear that this is not the last time the three of us are going to be on our podcast. So I'm very happy this happened because I'm sensing some magic is happening here. And as it is with Xtra Vision, we like to end the episodes with a fast moving segment. So today we're going to do a version of Who's Who Where. I just want to ask you, guys, for those of us who have listened to the podcast, who are big horror fans who are like, wow, I love listening to this. This is very nice. But I'm not a scaredy cat, like I'm watching all the best horror. What are the two scariest movies you've seen recently? For those who want to actually get a terrifying scare after this episode.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got it. Okay, I'm going to give you two all timers. Wait, but I can't remember the name of one. When y'all are over my please.
Speaker 2: Barbarian, Barbarian.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go, here we go. Okay. If you have not yet seen Barbarian, hopefully you know one has spoken to you about this film. Okay, so don't know anything about don't research it, don't look at a review. It's not worth it. You'll ruin it. Don't do it. Just go watch if you're a person who loves horror, because every second of that movie, you are on the edge of your seat. You're like, don't open the door.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Don't don't open that door? Down you're going down, there's another door.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 3: The whole time you're just screaming. You can't believe the way they set up the haunted house to just constantly get more. It's just there's just more of this house than you ever thought possible, and it's terrifying, and when you think you're out, you're not.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna say anything more about this film, but literally, I just the layers of horror it watches over you repeatedly is to me and idealizes way to experience horror. I love Listen. I love a classic monster movie. There's nothing wrong with it. Those are great. But when you are psychologically destroying me, that's what I'm most happy. I don't know why it's a problem, but it's so good. And maybe I just have a fear of going down because my other thing is always what I tell people to watch when I talk about horror, which is The Descent.
Speaker 2: So scary.
Speaker 3: You should watch The Descent because horror. Should watch The Descent for the betrayal you will never Oh my god. I love a film that makes me go, how are you ever?
Speaker 4: Friends?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Why? Love yourself more?
Speaker 2: What you deserve? Better you?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What are your two scariest movies you've watched lately?
Speaker 4: Rewatch Death Game.
Speaker 1: That is, it is psychologically abusive to no end, but at the same exact time good for the girls her movie.
Speaker 2: It's a big good for her movie.
Speaker 1: Big it's a good for her movie, and nobody can tell me different, because that man deserves to go down as he did.
Speaker 4: I do not.
Speaker 1: Agree with the I do not agree with the ending, nor do I agree with the eli roth Rey Make Knock No, do you not see the original Death Game?
Speaker 4: And also Cuckoo, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've heard good things.
Speaker 1: Cuckoo was a movie that, like I, I kind of was just like, I don't know what's going on in this for the rude, it has so much good vibes. Hunter Schaeffer and Dan Stevens just do it all for me. The premises bonkers, the excitement level of what's happening, the scenes that keep building and building and building to like this weird bird esque conclusion. You're just flapping your wings as they're flapping their wings in order to get it together, and it is.
Speaker 4: It is incredible.
Speaker 1: Please please also watch anything that Tillman does.
Speaker 3: Yes and everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm gonna leave us with me and Jason did an episode of a show called two Scared Didn't watch, and we watched the first omen for it, and I actually thought it was really good. Had a lot of really scary imagery, some of the most shocking imagery that I've seen in a while. I was loving it, big fan of that. Yeah, there was some moments. There was some moments maybe I thought it was really great, very Possession inspired. If you haven't seen Possession and you love scares, go watch Possession. If you don't love scares, don't love with stuff, don't watch Possession. And I'm sorry if you decide you're going to do it, But I will also say, yeah, the Queen Isabella Johnny. I will also say because I do feel like it went under the radar and I think existentially a very powerful, scary and ultimately hopeful film project for me was Mike Flanigan's Midnight Mass. And I think it's the perfect time, perfect time to revisit. So if you like scares and you like incredible prestige TV, and you like storytelling, and you like Roll Coolly and you like Kate Siegal and you also like actual, real good disabled representation, and check out Midnight Mass. And yeah, and thank you all so much for listening to our horry yapp fest, of which I'm sure there are gonna be many more.
Speaker 3: Yes, Fay Jersey, Bye Bye, we did it.
Speaker 2: That's it for today's episode. Next week, we're back with more coverage of the Penguin and Agathor all along, plus some Halloween bonus episodes. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 7: Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason N. Supsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rub and Chris Lord. Kenny Goodman and Heidi are discord moderator
Speaker 1: H m hm