Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Tom Keene, along with Jonathan Farrell and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best an economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: What is around a table here in New York? Binki Chata, chief global strategist, a head of UST allocation over at Deutsche Bank. Morning, Binkie, Good morning. I love a title in Southside Research, the wobble. Can we talk about the wobble? What is the wobble in the secuity market? What is that?
Speaker 3: The wobble is that, you know, we are basically overdue for a three to five percent pullback.
Speaker 4: It would be normal, believe it or not.
Speaker 3: We are now running in you know, ninety fifth percentile plus in terms of the duration, even though it seems rather short since March, since we had a three to five percent pullback. As I said, you know that's pretty normal. Three to five percent pullbacks happen every two to three months. So it's getting a bit extended. Number one. Number two, as you know, you know, the rise in positioning this time around has been you know, pretty vertical, especially on the discretionary investor side, and so it's an additional reason really for looking for you know, when that process is over.
Speaker 4: So I'm not.
Speaker 3: Being normative about this as do what should happen, but you know, if it when that does happen, we'll tell you that that part sort of played out.
Speaker 1: What is a chata process to buy on the dip? I'm fascinated you're sitting there like Ayce Greenberg years ago at Bear Strings, you got buy tickets over here, sell tickets over here. What's the chata process to buy in the dip?
Speaker 4: To buy on the dip? I mean, you have to have a view on what's the you know, the.
Speaker 3: Catalyst for a current three years out, not three years out, but you know what's driving a pullback. So the kind of pullback I'm talking about, it's really more sort of a consolidation and you know, sort of you want to see positioning rise gradually rather than vertically as it sort of did starting in late May.
Speaker 5: Does it make you nervous that everyone on your on Wall Street. All of your colleagues are revising upward their expectations for the S and P.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make me nervous.
Speaker 3: It's probably a little bit overdues the way I would put it.
Speaker 6: Okayl like welcome.
Speaker 3: We are just reporting, basically, you know, the second quarter of pretty solid sequential growth in earnings. You know, so if this was GDP we were talking about, and you were getting strong growth two quarters in a row, I think it would have an impact.
Speaker 4: The equity market tends to look at things.
Speaker 3: On a year and year basis, so you know, the turning that makes the turning points very fuzzy to be able to tell. If you look at headline earnings growth year and year, yes, you know we are still running negative, but a lot of that just simply has to do with the oil prices from last year. You take energy earnings out, and you know, it's first quarter of positive growth year and year after four negative quarters. I think it's more important to look at earnings growth on a sequential basis and also on an underlying basis. And really, if you look at underlying earnings, which is taking out energy, taking out the financials loan loss provisions, we've had two quarters now or four percent plus growth. Yeah, and we only fell six and a half percent last year.
Speaker 4: So actually the line.
Speaker 3: Earnings are at a new high, and you know the narrative is about a recession.
Speaker 5: Well, some people are also pointing to small business optimism, which came out this morning earlier, the highest levels in eight months, right, so sort of edifying your view. How much do yields push against that? We were talking about what's more important for your equity called this week? Is it going to be CPI on Thursday or is it going to be the Treasury auctions? And how many people step up to buy them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think yields matter, but it's really been much more over the last eighteen months. It's really been much.
Speaker 3: More about the volatility or if the message coming out of the rates market, rather than the level of rates. So as long as we were talking about you know, twenty five basis points here and there, Yeah, this doesn't really impact my view. If we get a big acceleration and inflation and a big you know response from the Fed and uncertainty increases, then you know it's a bigger concerned and a bigger pullback.
Speaker 2: I would say, how many of these stocks are actually growth stocks anymore. I'm looking at their multiples and they've got pretty tidy growth multiples on them, but how many are actually delivering growth?
Speaker 3: So you know, I would say, you know, the focus shifts over the course of the cycle. What we've basically seen is, you know, the megacap growth in tech stocks. Their earnings turn around first and very strongly in the first quarter, and it was pretty V shaped move if you're looking quarter by quarter, and that's now sort of widening out, is the way I would put it. So you know, we're catch up. It is so first Tech caught up with everyone else who hadn't fallen by as much. And the two of really since late May megacap growth in tech and the rest of the S and P five hundred they've they've moved really in tandem. But it does mean that since megacap growth in tech earnings since and amaze very short period, but their earnings.
Speaker 4: Do grow faster.
Speaker 3: So actually, on a relative multiple basis, all the valuation is coming in.
Speaker 2: You might be annoyed with me for bringing up a single name, but I think everyone's fascinated by the move with Apple at the moment. Yeah, and for five straight days into today. Yes, they're trying to snap back this morning a bounce, but ultimately are they producing the growth? Can we have this the biggest waiting on the S and P five hundred, the biggest waiting on the NaSTA one hundred traded a multiple as something like thirty times forward earnings when it's not delivering any growth.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, you know, as you know, I don't come and from evaluation perspective, what the signal is that you take away from that name at the moment and the way it's performed. Sure, but I think that's part of the process, you know, of sort of the rally that we've seen so of our broadening out. It's precisely that question that broadens the rally out because you.
Speaker 4: Know, if we are.
Speaker 3: You know, the market's running with the soft landing narrative, and if the soft landing is going to happen, then you're going to have cyclical growth and so you should be rotating and the market has you know, it's sort of sitting.
Speaker 4: In the middle now. I mean, we're moving in tandem.
Speaker 3: As I said after, you know, growth stocks just leading the charge, and at some point I would expect you know, the next case you.
Speaker 1: Got a wobble, the wobble, the chatt to wobble is in place. Does that mean you reset your sp X outlook?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, we get five thousand this morning on pullback.
Speaker 3: I think that you know, it's important to keep in mind that we haven't fulfilled even the three percent correct you know, pullback yet, so we were down basically. I think, you know, a return of normality after this big repricing that we've had, you know, would be helpful just.
Speaker 1: For our listeners and viewers. John, I mean, can we get tried to go to five thousand today.
Speaker 4: With the wobble? Not today, but yes it is our soft lending target.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you for kind of fun pleasure. Thanks got to say it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get a brief ound these markets right now. And I love what she says about August and summer mirror pandit with US Global Market Strategy JP Morgan Asset Management. You'd said, Tom, you're jogging in place. You sound like the entire King family, because that's what I do. I jog in place. What does jogging in place mean for a market that's been a moonshot since.
Speaker 7: October when we think about the market and the risks here going forward, there's not.
Speaker 8: A whole lot of upside risk here.
Speaker 7: But I think that the downside risk is somewhat limited because if we think.
Speaker 8: About where we are with the markets.
Speaker 7: We are in between in between the inflation spikes and the FED hikes, but also waiting for the economy and profits to sour. So I don't know that there is a whole lot of upside catalyst in a world where profits are just better than feared. We need to see some more out of the profits landscape in order to get some more upside from stocks that have already rallied really hard and that have already experienced in pretty high valuations.
Speaker 8: But at the same time time, until we see.
Speaker 7: Some more souring in profits in the economy, I think we're in an environment where stocks are essentially jogging in place where we are today.
Speaker 8: And that's not just for stocks. I think it's similar for yields.
Speaker 7: The pop and yields we've seen more recently, I would attribute that mostly to the pop and growth. Yes, there was a Fitch downgrade, Yes we're seeing some inflation break evens move a bit higher, But really it's all about growth. If we think about this higher yield environment since May, since the May FOMC meeting. So if we considered that environment, you know, I think that yields too for the rest of the year could kind of jog in place until next year.
Speaker 1: You're charm at JP Morgan. This is English major out of tough CFA, which I think is the coolest thing going. I can't imagine what the CFA was like for you coming out of that wonderful background. You write the documents at JP Morgan, You actually craft the documents that you're putting out. What are you writing right now about sixty forty?
Speaker 7: Right now, if we think about the sixty forty, it's had a huge rebound over the course of this year.
Speaker 8: Las year the sixty forty was dead.
Speaker 7: But I think what's important to think about with diversification is that markets and the economy look in opposite directions. Markets are very much forward looking. The economy is at best looking at where we are today, but also looking backward at the data we've already seen. And if we look at periods in history where the sixty forty has struggled, take two thousand and eight, take nineteen seventy four, if you look at the next year, nineteen seventy five, if we look at two thousand and nine, those were by no means good economic years, but you did see the markets rebound. I mean, two thousand and nine is a great example where you see markets bottom in March, we start to get out of recession in the summer, and actually the unemployment rate continues to rise until October.
Speaker 8: I think that's a helpful guidepost for.
Speaker 7: Where we are today, and that the market has priced in a whole lot of bad news and a lot of risks and threats, and we have yet to see all of them crystallize. But the market is already sort of looking a little bit beyond there, and that's a good environment for diversification.
Speaker 5: What do you say to a client who theoretically comes up to you and says, hold on, this time is different. Inflation's going to accelerate, These bonds are going to be worthless. It's going to wreck our evaluation of the stocks of the sockholdings that you currently have focused on. Something that's really problematic. We want to just hide in cash. I don't see how you could be calling for yields to go back down to something that was normal, What do you say to them.
Speaker 8: Ultimately, if we look at.
Speaker 7: Cash right now, clients love a guarantee. If you can get a guaranteed five percent in a CD, that seems great. But the reality is if you think about something like a six month CD, you have some reinvestment risk there. When we think about the arc of the year, and with yields where they are now with above trend growth, well above trend growth really for four quarters in a row, if we even start to see slightly subtrend growth, you're going to start to see yields come down. If we see inflation soften a little bit more, you're going to see yields come down. Doesn't mean they need to create this year, and again they could be jogging in place a bit. But as we head into next year and we look at that twelve month out look, yields can start to come down.
Speaker 8: So when you sit in cash, you have this.
Speaker 7: Opportunity cost where you're in come can potentially come down, but also you don't get the benefit of the upside within stepping out a little bit in the risk spectrum to bonds, you can potentially lock in income for a longer period of time, and in addition, have that potential for capital appreciation.
Speaker 5: We've been talking about the auctions this week and how the US Treasure Department is selling a greater amount of debt. Are you saying this is a good time to buy that four percent on a ten year yield to lock that in seems like a really nice opportunity.
Speaker 7: The window for the bond market has been extended over the course of the summer. It is, of course a setback in terms of that recovery that we were hoping to see throughout this year, but it does extend that window of opportunity from an entry point standpoint. One of the biggest challenges that investors are dealing with today is price. Where do you find something at a reasonable valuation? Now, I will fully concede that if we look at debt and deficits over the next decade plus, with deficits coming in at five and a half to seven percent on average, that is historically high, and we are going to deal with it a yield problem over time. But I think given the economic backdrop in the near term, this is a pretty good entry point.
Speaker 1: What does it sell right now to high net worth people about cash at a five percent yield? Are they comfortable with that, or they're saying, wait a minute, why can't we buy more Apple.
Speaker 7: You see that clients are comfortable with it because again, you haven't had that type of yield in so long. But I think getting back to your question about the sixty forty and how we broaden out that allocation, we're also seeing that people realize this is not a market for easy money. It's not just that you're going to experience data that's going to go up. So people have to be a little bit more discerning in how they're investing, you know, not only around the world, but in terms of types of vehicles, thinking about alternatives to enhance different outcomes for income diversification, capital appreciation. So I think that people are really sharpening their cells, and.
Speaker 1: This time active management wins into twenty twenty four, active management will beat index.
Speaker 8: Take a look at profits, take a look at companies.
Speaker 7: Even within the same sectors or industries, you're seeing a lot of differentiation in terms of how management is handling higher prices, higher wages, more headwinds thrown at them.
Speaker 8: So certainly it is a time to pick.
Speaker 7: And choose which managers and which management of companies are doing the right things in this environment.
Speaker 2: Mur thank you. It's going to see you more pandit the f JP Morgan as in management, this is.
Speaker 1: An important interview with our question, our interview of the day in fixed income and all that means across equities, commodities, in foreign exchange. Rob Waldner is out of the vintage of Newtonian calculus that would be engineering at top East Coast schools with a heritage back two hundred years. He's Princeton civil engineering. And that is a rigor about statics in dynamics that he brings to fixed income right now. This is not statics in the fixed income market. What is the dynamic of all the algebra and the math of fixed income right now? What's the dynamic that you're focused on?
Speaker 9: Well, Tom, you were talking about it earlier in the second in the show, which is the news around disinflation and and almost sort of seems like deflationary sort of vibes that we have out there. So we're getting USCPI data on Thursday, we get Chinese data tonight. Chinese data CPI is likely to come in negative year and ear us I think the Bloomberg consensus is will get a point two on core and point two on headline month and month. So the data is starting to come in as we've been anticipating, very disinflationary, and it looks like you know, in certain areas like China and the trade data we got overnight feels more like deflationary. And I think that's what's going on in the bond market here is people are finally realizing or looking at that and thinking, hey, if I can get a five and a half percent for investment grade bond portfolio, and we are in a dissinflationary environment where really where growth is going to be you know, mediocre, That sounds pretty good, right, So that's where the buyers come from.
Speaker 2: So there's a tug of war right now between disinflationary forces and additional tracery supply. You don't think that Tracey is apply wins out. You don't think it's as important as the disinflationary forces when it comes to what this bond mark is going to.
Speaker 9: Take day to day. The turury supply can drive things, and I think you were talking about it earlier. That's probably part of what revalue things last week is looking forward to that supply. But we know that in any medium term. You know, month type horizon supply is not the driver. It's the macro forces that are the drive yields.
Speaker 6: So have you been buying this bond sell off?
Speaker 9: We have been, Yeah, we have been. We are positive unduration. We've been looking at this treasury if you want to talk about the treurgy for a second. You know, we think the tenure has been in this three and a half to four percent range. I'm actually getting a little more positive that. So thinking about that here is a great buying opportunity because one, as I said, you have a disinflation environment with relatively moderate real growth and so that in the medium sure, that's quite good. And then if I start to think about the risks in there, the risk scenarios are that the FED overstays it's welcome here. You know, we have several FED members saying they think they need to hike again even though we believe we're in a disinflationary environment. That could be quite negative for the growth outlook. That could create you know, a dislocation, and that would be very positive for the treasury market.
Speaker 5: So in other words, when we're talking about these auctions this week, are you basically saying yes, let's go. I can't wait to load up on both ten year and thirty year treasuries.
Speaker 9: I think that you know, this is a great time to buy fixed income and if you want to buy treasuries, if that's your asset of choice.
Speaker 6: So who is coming in and joining you?
Speaker 5: Are you seeing more institutions who are doing the same thing that you are or is it still the international buyer still the same buyer base, and that we're all just making a lot of noise over nothing.
Speaker 9: Well, you have the same buyer base, The same international buyer base is still there. You know, fixed income flows have not turned incredibly positive yet, but you know we think that's likely to come.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the new floor in global fixed income?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: The POH is pulling back, the ACP has pulled back, the Federal Reserve has taken rates to five and a half percent, and people think maybe they only come back to maybe four three and a half something in between. What is the new floor for global fixed income? If you get into trouble, what do you runny down too? Just in terms of years? What are the limits of that running because people don't think it's zero anymore? What is it?
Speaker 9: Well, we'll have to see where that pans out. And it depends on what a recession looks like.
Speaker 2: How far we get back to developed thoughts on.
Speaker 9: But you know, we think that it's something in the range of sort of two, a more normalized Yeld curve would see, you know, a more steep Yeel curve. And if short rates get down to one, you're talking about ten years at two two and a quarter, you.
Speaker 2: Think short rates will potentially come back down to one.
Speaker 9: In a recessionary type environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting because least the kind of pushback I've heard is that perhaps you come down to three and a half four something like that. I think it was Mike Gapan's point over at Bank for America.
Speaker 5: The essentially inflation would be stickier for longer, and that would keep the FED at a higher level that we're going to go back to the low rate kind of environment. And I just wonder how much this is really the polls of the debate right now, people who believe we're going back to the environment we were in before and those who say this time really is different all.
Speaker 9: And I would I would really point, you know, we live in a nominal world. I think sometimes you get confused by this real and and and and and break even stuff. We live in a nominal world. Nominal growth is coming down very very quickly. So inflation's coming down and uh uh, growth is coming down. So you know, if you think going forward, were nominal growth somewhere in the four and a half type of range, that's a that's a tremendous environment for fixed income, right and and if nominal growth settles at something below that, then you could see rates come back down.
Speaker 2: Well, this was great, Thank you, sir, web the Vivesco. Good to see you in person.
Speaker 4: What we're going to do is.
Speaker 1: Dive in now with expertise at Bloomberg Intelligence. Long are going far away. You did what you could, just steal the research of prudential research and one leak cli he was read worldwide and across this nation on boring stuff like trucking in rare roads. In this strange word, logistics senior logistics analysts for Bloomberg Intelligence is a gift we have them today. I want to conflate in here the bankruptcy of Yellow with what we see in ups. Given these events, can they raise rates? Can they raise and sustain revenues by raising rates? Yeah?
Speaker 10: I mean that's what UPS is going to have to do, and they do have pricing power because at the end of the day, there's really two main competitors at UPS FedEx. Obviously the US Postal Service are some smaller players, but they have the ability to raise rates. And not only can they raise rates, but they're also going into markets that are more profitable for them, So they're going to the small mid size shipper versus the big enterprise shipper. So they're kind of pivoting away from the Amazons of the world, if you will, and going, you know, kind of down market because those those customers tend to be more profitable, and they're going into more profit verticals like healthcare, which starts.
Speaker 1: To make more money for these You don't do by hold cell, John, But you know, to me, you wonder if this is just like back up your truck.
Speaker 4: And load the boat.
Speaker 2: We're not about to do it byhold a south on that night either.
Speaker 1: Is back up to the brown truck and load the boat.
Speaker 2: Right here, Can we bring in the volume story into the conversation and just talk to me about what's happening domestically in America because we're hearing from some domestic focused airlines for instance, Jet Blue Southwest mentioning that maybe things aren't as great as people are saying. What are we learning about the domestic US economy from this company?
Speaker 10: Well, we've been in a freight recession for quite some time, and that's really driven because we're everything's being normalized, right, recalibrating back to where we used to be before the pandemic. So freight is declining. So what we're seeing is what we view is kind of like the bottom of that. And you know, there's been a lot of destocking by retailers and we're pretty optimistic that you're going to see some sort of seasonal uptick into the fourth quarter. We're not calling a huge peak season, but last year there was no peak. We think there's like maybe a slight speed bump of a peak this year. And you know what's that telling us is that the consumer is still resilient and things should look better for UPS or a FedEx into twenty twenty four. On a volume standpoint, you have that plus pricing, you have that plus productivity improvements from tech. It's hopefully going to offset some of the increase that they got in cost from that new labor agreement with the teamsters.
Speaker 6: So how significant was that?
Speaker 5: I mean, that was really my question, is that a smoke screen, this whole agreement with the teamsters to cover some real fundamental weakness that they're facing or competition, or is this truly going to create a challenge their profits going forward in a more material way.
Speaker 10: It's definitely going to challenge things. But I would say, is that in the second quarter, well, you know, second quarter, that's a has been quarter. They did a fantastic job. I mean they beat by four cents in EPs, and it was all on margins. It wasn't on pricing, it wasn't on volumes. They actually disappointed. So they disappointed on the top line and they they surprise on the upside on the EPs, and that was real on margins. Their domestic business was you know, it was about one hundred and thirty basis points better than expectations, and it was only thirty basis points less than what people were thinking.
Speaker 5: If they can absorb it, what's the message to other logistics companies, to other trucking, shipping, flying companies that are also facing some organized complaints about the lack of wage growth, the lack of pass through of some of their profits to the employees.
Speaker 10: Yeah, at the end of the day, labor is increasing and we're not going back to a twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen level. So you know, if you're a truckload carrier, you had to increase the what you paid your drivers. Rates have gone down considerably, and so what that's doing is forcing a lot of smaller companies out of the market, and that will firm up rates and bring rates back up, and so the night swifts of the world will have much better margins in the coming quarters.
Speaker 8: So with higher prices.
Speaker 10: With higher prices, right now, the truckload market is terrible, like the spot market is pretty much bottoming. We should probably start seeing increase in spot rates into fourth quarter, and contract rates are down by low double digits, and we expect that to kind of invert positively in twenty twenty four to see maybe mid mid single digit truckload rate increases on the contractual side.
Speaker 1: If there was high single digit even double digit revenue growth and that reverts back to mid single digit, low single digit revenue growth. The slog of logistics, if you will, can they sustain a given margin down the income statement.
Speaker 10: Really depends on what sub segment of the market you're talking about, you know, the lesson truckload market where yellow defile bankruptcy. That's a very consolidated market. So they have pricing power. Fedexups, they have pricing power. Railroads they have pricing power. Truckload carriers not so much because it's extremely fragmented. So it really depends on what market you're in, whether or not you have the pricing power, and whether or not you can push those higher costs onto your consumers.
Speaker 2: Leate, this was great. It's good to see you. Come back soon. I will leak Alaska there at Bloomberg Intelligence. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Lisa Brambinson, time can you throw that David Rubinstein could join us this morning. This is perfectly timed because Nova Grants has been the pinata of bitcoin when it goes down. It's been the genius of bitcoin when it goes up. And all of a sudden, Larry showed up at the door to say, hey, big respectable firms can prosecute and do bitcoin link Lawrence Fink of black Rock to Mike Novagrants.
Speaker 11: Well, what's happened is people, as you suggest, make fun of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. But now the establishment. Larry Fink at Blackrock is now saying they're going to have an ETF if approved by the government in bitcoin. So you're saying, wait a second, If the mighty Blackrock is willing to have an ETF and bitcoin, maybe bitcoin, it's going to be around for a while.
Speaker 1: Lisa wants to jump in here, but I'm going to cut to the news moment. Is Carlisle announcing this morning a bitcoin advocacy.
Speaker 11: No, I don't think so, but there's no doubt that bitcoin is something that I wish I had bought it at one hundred dollars a bitcoin when when Mike and overgot started buying it. It's now at twenty nine thousand dollars, so he's made a lot of money and a lot of people who bought it at one hundred dollars or less are feeling pretty good now. It went up as high as sixty one thousand, I think, even down to thirty one thousand or even twenty nine thousand. Now it's still a pretty good profit if you're bought at one hundred.
Speaker 5: We all wish we would have bought it at one hundred, and to write it up, it's one thing for Black Rock to come up with an ETF because they believe the proposition of bitcoin. It's another because they see a profitability proposition where they can basically take advantage of the interest other people have. I mean, isn't that more of what this is? That basically Wall Street is saying, if there is a market for it, and we can viably make one for them and make some money, why not.
Speaker 11: Well, remember Wall Street is in business to make money, and this is something they can probably make money. You have to remember the United States government has been somewhat skeptical of it. I think Democrats in the Congress and particularly the people regulating the SEC are skeptical of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. But outside the United States there's a lot of interest in it. I think FTX really hurt when it went bankrupt, and it hurt the crypto industry. But a lot of people around the world want to be able to trade in a currency that their government can't know what they have, and they want to be able to move it around rightly or wrongly, and so I don't think bitcoin is going away. I think the Republicans on Capitol Hill are been pretty supportive of it.
Speaker 5: There's a difference between having a seamless cross currency payment, basically saying that instead of going to Western Union, I can go and just to transfer something in bitcoin if it has a stable enough price. That's one proposition, But the proposition of bitcoin is a store of value that could kind of be bid up the way that gold or silver could seems to have been parked. With the advent of yield suddenly that you can get for actual money. I mean, isn't that sort of the feeling that you're getting.
Speaker 11: Well, there's no doubt that when and interest rates are as high as they are, you don't need to have gold or other kinds of things to get you some solid return because when you get five percent on treasuries, but eventually five percent will be coming down at some point. I don't think bitcoin or cryptocurrencies that are the better ones, the better known ones. Bitcoin a number of brothers are going to go away. There's enormous interest around the world and be able to have something you can transfer without the government knowing about it and keep it private. And you know, you can say people shouldn't do that, but that's not going to stop people from doing it.
Speaker 1: Mister Novagrats and mister Gensler, What did you say about the efforts of our chairman of the Securities in Exchange Commission.
Speaker 11: Well, Gary Gensler, who's the chairman of the SEC, is not a big fan of cryptocurrency. I think that's fair to say. But he lost the major case recently in court where he was trying to argue that one of the cryptocurrencies Ripple was a security and he lost that case. So I think the SEC has not been able to convince these the government yet or at least the courts, that crypto currency is such a dangerous thing. And I remember a lot of people in the government now are thinking that Gary Ginster won't be the chair of the SEC forever.
Speaker 4: Everyone to go.
Speaker 1: I mean, these guys just wait them out, right.
Speaker 11: I think that's a strategy. It's very popular in Washington. Waiting out regulators you don't like.
Speaker 5: That seems to be something that has worked given some of the turnover that we've seen.
Speaker 6: I want to shift gears a little bit because we've been talking.
Speaker 5: All week about banks losing talent to your world, to private equity and to the sphere of private debt and inequity that has continued to take more and more market share. Have you seen that accelerate recently as people really take a look at what they can earn and the potential opportunities in your world.
Speaker 11: There's no doubt that some of the large investment banks like Goldman, Sacks and others, but not just Goldman Sacks have people leaving. But that's actually relatively normal. People are leave all these firms all the time now. After people typically retire from Goldman in their early fifties, whereas regular kind of job you might retire in your sixties. So I don't think it's that unusual right now. And I think Goldman has obviously got a deep bench. I think it's in pretty good shape. But there's no doubt that people think that in private equity, if you do well, you can make more money than you can invest in banking. That's generally been accepted for last ten twenty thirty years or so.
Speaker 5: Do you think that that's going to get pressured at all as there is more competition and frankly in the higher yield environment, and if there is some sort of default cycle and a little bit of stress.
Speaker 11: Well, remember in private equity, it's harder to do private equity deals typically today because the interest rates are harder at borrow and so forth, but that gives people more opportunities to buy things in the distress debt area. So there's always people who want to buy things at some kind of value chain proposition. And right now there's a lot of view that you can buy things relatively cheaply, probably in the near future, in distress real estate or other kinds of areas. So I don't think all of a sudden people that want to make be investors are going to say there's no opportunity.
Speaker 1: In what you're doing at Carlisle with your team. Is there malinvestment in AI right now? Is there a frenzy going on where dumb decisions.
Speaker 4: Are being made?
Speaker 11: Well, I don't want to speak for Carlisle. I would just say gen Net generally AI has caught at tension and people are putting money into it. Whether you're going to make a good return on that money, I don't know. There's a conventional view that the best way to invest in AI is investing in the large companies like Google, Microsoft and so forth. Other people say you should go find the next startup of open AI. I don't really know which is going to prevail, but there's no doubt that people are putting money to AI, and they will for some time.
Speaker 5: I want to just pick up on one thing that you said that in the dear future, there's going to be a good amount of distress, particularly in some.
Speaker 6: Real estate areas. Where are you talking about in particular, Well, I.
Speaker 11: Don't think it's a secret that in the commercial real estate office market in major cities New York, San Francisco, among others, people are not coming into offices, and therefore employers are thinking, I don't need as much office space as I once thought I did. And also, because interest rates are higher, the value of buildings goes down. Is an inverse relationship. So if you interest rates are high and the rally of real estate goes down and people don't need as much real estate as they did before, and then they renew their leases, they're going to take less space. It's probably gonna mean the value of these buildings are going to come down.
Speaker 6: How concerned are you about New York City?
Speaker 11: Well, people have been concerned about New York City for the last two hundred years or so. For two hundred years, people always say New York City is going to fall apart, and for two hundred years that survive. So I got a lot of things I'm worried about in New York City's not the number one, David.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. David Rwinstein with us here. Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Eastern. I'm Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always I'm the Bloomberg Terminal. Thanks for listening. I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg