Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we never split our votes.
Speaker 2: I'm Greg Rosenthal here at Radio Row for the last time during Super Bowl fifty nine build up, next to my friend Jordan rod Reeg of The Athletic.
Speaker 1: We've done it. We've made it to Friday. We've had so much fun in the process too.
Speaker 3: I think somehow we already had like a great friendship before this, and it's been a fun season all year. But like really working and like cranking with somebody in the trenches.
Speaker 1: You know, you learn a few things, Yeah, you do?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 3: I learned about I learned all important meal schedule for Greg.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've been dying this week, angry, low blood sugar. It's all a problem. But this show's gonna be a lot of fun. So we're gonna talk about the awards. If we're gonna go all season like MVP talking about and then it kind of happens and then it just gets ignored. Let's go through the awards. We're gonna talk about who won, who didn't, why, what we thought. The Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty five was announced, very intriguing, surprising on a number of levels to me. And then we're gonna throw it to a number of interviews that we've done both on Thursday and on Friday, and as you're hearing this, yeah, we're getting closer and closer to the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But let's start with that MVP vote.
Speaker 5: Obviously, everyone knows that's listening to this by now that Josh Allen wins his first MVP, he proved a dumb tweet that I had wrong, which is, you know, I was like when Lamar won the first team, all Bro was like, well, looks like Lamar's gonna be MVP, because that's what's happened every year since nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: But it didn't happen this time. Let's actually hear from Josh.
Speaker 5: Allen was very nice at the podium, his father, emotional in the crowd. A cool moment here in New Orleans, accepting his MVP trophy and thanking those who helped him along the way.
Speaker 6: I'd like to think the Bills Organization, Terry and Kim Pagula, Brandon Bean, Sean McDermott, thank you guys for drafting me seven and a half years ago.
Speaker 1: It feels just like yesterday. It really does.
Speaker 6: And I know this is an individual award and it says most Valuable Player on it, but I think it's derived from team success and I love my team dead off. Thank you for presenting. I really appreciate it. We got such a great locker room in Buffalo, and it takes everybody from the equipment staff to the training room, to the strength staff, to slick Rick in the mailroom, to the cafeteria upstairs. Like it truly takes everybody to half team success. And I'm so fortunate to be a part of a great organization.
Speaker 1: That was Josh Allen. And He's right, it is a team award.
Speaker 5: I think he won the award because the Bills had a better season with lower expectations than the Ravens had in the regular season with higher expectations. And I think he played his best football this year and as a deserving MVP winner. And that's why before I move on to the voting, Jordan, I.
Speaker 1: Do kind of want to.
Speaker 5: Think about that this was never guaranteed for Josh Allen, that he was the best player in the league. Not only is he the best development story since I've been covering football in terms of just improving at his craft, but even comparing him to the Lamar and Mahomes and other top quarterbacks for him to be this consistent as a passer and one of the most valuable runners at the quarterback position in the history of the league into it week after week after week, which I think he did this season better than he's ever done. It was so not guaranteed, and it's such a cool career moment for him that I don't want to get lost in the shuffle of the controversy of the votes flipping from the All Pro vote.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And obviously we'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 3: And I know you've got some good insight on that, Craig, but it is a great point that you make, because you know, for every quarterback who is an elite at their craft, and Lamar Jackson included in that, it is such a meticulous process to getting to that. And Josh Allen was a rough, rough quarterback coming out of college. He was a rough product. And I was talking to Brandon Bean last summer about how Josh Allen put together all of the little details about his body and how basically we've talked about on the show before, biomechanics and the act of biomechanical science and studies of efficient becoming more efficient thrower, which means the energy transfers to every part of your body through the course of your throwing motion in the most kinetically sound and energetic way.
Speaker 1: Right, And there's an actual sigenergetic Oh god, there's.
Speaker 3: An actual way and an actual technique in science behind refining every piece of this. And Josh Allen really fell in love with it in part because it was helping him become a better quarterback, and also, as Brandon was telling me, because he loves golf and so finding ways. That's why I like about Josh Allen's journey from being really you kind of had some questions.
Speaker 1: You know, you knew the talent.
Speaker 3: Was there just a rough cut rock at that point before he became a diamond, right, And so I think that putting all of those things together but keeping it fun along the way. And that's why I bring up the golf thing, because it's one of his favorite things to do when he's not playing football, and so marrying the two together to where even when you're not working, you're working, that's something that I think shouldn't get lost in the journey of any quarterback who's at this level, who has this award but also just a cool little behind the scenes of what it really takes to get to this, especially from.
Speaker 1: Where he started. And he's been so consistent, not just game to game.
Speaker 5: But he came in second in the MVP vote in twenty twenty, which I thought was probably his best season before this year.
Speaker 1: Lost out on that award to Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 5: But when they went thirteen and three, Wes, by the way, always knew Chris Westling our friend. That twenty nineteen season, Josh Allen did lead the league in game winning drives, game like fourth quarter comebacks, and he was rough then, but he did have a lot about him, and Wes thought he was gonna be great and he was absolutely right. So this is the fourth time he's come in the top five in MVP voting, so he's been knocking on the door, and ultimately I think that's why he won.
Speaker 4: Was it.
Speaker 5: I think too many voters just thought it feels weird that Lamar's won three and Josh Allen hasn't won any and I don't really want Lamar to win three, and so I'm gonna like mentally come up with a reason to vote Lamar Jackson first in All Pro. So he had thirty votes there, but second in MVP he had twenty three votes there, so there was a difference of seven. Also, there was an Offensive Player of the Year award given out at Honors that goes to Saquon Barkley, but a lot of voters flipped their Lamar Jackson for Offensive Player of the Year vote and then made him second in MVP, even though they had him first in All Pro. It's like they were just trying to split the baby and spread it around to everyone, and ultimately that is what happened.
Speaker 1: And my hot take is like, that's fine.
Speaker 5: I like the reasoning doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm also kind of fine with it, Like it's okay to me that look that Josh Allen won this award. I would have like just barely favored Lamar, But I am kind of happy that Josh Allen got one, because if you look over a five or six year period, he does kind of deserve one. So even if the reason like, I think you should have just voted him first Team All Bro. If you're voting MVB, vote HI first Team All Pro, he probably should have won both. But Lamar gets a little taste and I wonder what Lamar feels about it. But my guess is like, it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 3: He's won a couple he and he is just so I mean, Lamar is just first of all, he's like just joy personified. But also he doesn't strike me as somebody who would sit there and like put this up on his bullets and board or anything like that.
Speaker 7: He just wants to be great and so okay.
Speaker 3: So I do wonder though, because you mentioned about flipping the votes and all of that. So much of this is public, you know, the names of people who voted in different ways, and explanations by some and publicized ballots and stuff. I wonder if some of the flipping is happening, not because necessarily people think that that's their actual opinion, but because they know that if they don't credit.
Speaker 7: Pass around credit or pass around.
Speaker 3: The kudos, then you know it's going to be seen, and you have to be seen like, oh, I'm rooting for you, and also I'm rooting for you.
Speaker 5: You know that I have not seen the attention on individual voters and who voted and who voted for whatever before with this word literally this is the first time dan Orlowski credit to him on ESPN talked about why he was one of the people that flipped, and I think it gave good insight into why he did it.
Speaker 1: It didn't really make any.
Speaker 5: Sense, like he just used the word value to say Josh Allen was some how more valuable to his team, which I bought all that argument if you want to make it, But then, just why wasn't he the best quarterback in the league. Why was Lamar Jackson the best quarterback in league?
Speaker 1: Who cares? Honestly?
Speaker 5: So, Lamar Jackson ends up with twenty three votes, Josh Allen twenty seven for MVP, Saquon Barkley a distant third. Joe Burrow and Jared Goff round out the top five. And yeah, our friend Nick Wright was absolutely right, pointing out to me over a text message the day that Lamar Jackson was First Team All Pro saying I have a feeling they're gonna split the vote and Josh Allen's gonna get it.
Speaker 1: And he was right.
Speaker 5: And he's also very funny pointing out the fact that someday, maybe Patrick Mahomes can be more valuable than Jared Goff, but this is not that day.
Speaker 1: Jared Goff was more valuable this yearly, hell, it's kind of true. It is funny.
Speaker 5: Shout out also to the people who had Jaden Daniels and Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold and Justin Herbert getting some fourth and fifth place votes. That's why I like the top five votes. Let's continue on Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 1: Patrick's I called it.
Speaker 5: I thought it was surprising when Stefan Gilmour won because there were good candidates that year and he didn't have a ton of stats.
Speaker 1: This one's one of.
Speaker 5: The strangest defensive player this year, not that he's not deserving, just that it hasn't happened before. Yeah, that at cornerback without really a ton of stats. Even Durell Reeves when he was just locked down like and they didn't throw to him, there was all these coverage sets.
Speaker 1: Certana is just like a recognition of excellence.
Speaker 3: I have a theory about this, and this is not like based on reporting, but it is I think a pretty strong and sound theory. We have so many more angles of the game now, honestly, because when you're just reduced to watching it on your broadcast, and you know the crews do a great job, but it is limiting, and often you're following the action of the play. Often you're not looking at an actual all twenty two. Look when you're looking at those camera angles from back, you know, even even five, ten years ago, and now you have so many ways too, and there's so many clips that you can find, not even if even if you don't have access like we do to the.
Speaker 1: Wonderful NFL Pro and NFL plus pro.
Speaker 7: Like it is, it is even more so like search on social.
Speaker 1: Media, and you'll believe that this is the reason I hope.
Speaker 3: I would love you know what, Greg, let me just for one little facet and one little sliver of the world, let me believe that people are more educated than they see.
Speaker 1: I think he's a great choice, and it was your choice. Shout out to you.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love that he got twenty six first place votes, and I think I think you're right. I thought you were going to go into the next gen stats and.
Speaker 1: Well all of it. I was about to actually and I cut you off. Yeah, that's all right. We've learned a lot this week.
Speaker 5: Trey Hendrickson comes in second, Miles Garrett comes in third.
Speaker 1: I thought Garrett might end up winning this award.
Speaker 5: I think Sirtan won it ultimately because his team made the playoffs and those teams didn't like if Trey hen if if the the players around Hendrickson were better. It's kind of like Burrow got less votes for MVP because his team wasn't good.
Speaker 1: It's just how it works.
Speaker 5: I think if the Bengals went thirteen and four this year and Trey Hendrickson had the same year, he might win the award. But that's it's how the cookie crummels, like there's no it's fine, like nothing's perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I really don't want to take anything away from Pat certain either, because if you go watch him on a personnap basis and you again, you are able to do that now, and you're able to quantify literally his impact on a game, it's just outstand it's astounding, and we very rarely see seasons like this from any one player.
Speaker 5: I want to find out who voted Kirby Joseph first, and are.
Speaker 1: There any voters based in Detroit applaud them? I guess I can find this out.
Speaker 5: Andrew van Ginko got a first place vote, Zach Bond got two. He was my first place vote and actually ended up coming in top five, which is great.
Speaker 4: T J.
Speaker 5: Watt was fourth, but again it was such a wide open year that Kirby Joseph got.
Speaker 1: A first place vote and came in in sixth.
Speaker 5: Your guy Nick Benito, surprisingly a little lower than I would have expected at ninth, McKinney, Kyle Hamilton, John and Grenard Jalen Carter. I do love that it's this long list that when we look back on the PFR page that you'll see Benito came in nine, yeah, and it'll be like, actually a recognition of a really cool yeah moment in his career. So I mentioned Offensive Player of the Year. That's where Saquon Barkley gets his love. There was some buzz here that maybe Saquon was gonna sneak up and win MVP at the last second.
Speaker 3: I have a theory about that too. I think that was a classical vote. I thought that was a classic misdirect. I thought that maybe they were worried that it would be leaked, and so someone ended up like jumping the leak and instead leaking something else. That's what I think.
Speaker 1: So Lamar ends up coming second. So that's weird.
Speaker 5: It's the exact same thing that happened to Drew Brees one year, twenty eighteen, who won the MVP that year. I should know these things up the top of my head, but he came. I remember he came in second for MVP and second for Offensive Player of the Year, which is just it's kind of weird, like no one fully decided to vote for either. Jamar Chase comes in third, Derrick Henry third, Joe Burrow fifth. Joe Burrow also wins Comeback Player of the Year for the second time, which he makes the joke that's like, this is not an award you want to win twice.
Speaker 1: JK.
Speaker 5: Dobbins, who would have been a fun pick, comes in second. Darnold comes in third. There, let's go to the rookies. Jaden gets forty nine to the fifty votes. Don't be the person that's mad that Sam Monson from PFF voted brock Bauers first for Offensive Rookie of the Year. Your guy Jayden got forty nine freaking votes. There's a lot crazier voting going on in the world. It is then brock Bowers getting one. He had one of the best rookie seasons of all time. It's totally fine to disagree on these awards.
Speaker 3: I do find it fascinating how you didn't want Rock Bauers on our All Pro team, but now you know this argument.
Speaker 5: But I also think it would be totally reasonable had to do it. Like even the people that are mad that Lamar got one to fourth place vote, I promise you, like a vote for Joe Burrow is not that crazy, a vote for Saquon. These guys all had outstanding seasons and you're kind of picking between them and you're recognizing all of them. It's not that serious. And it's also how you want to look at it. And I liked how Sam looked at it, which was that for his position. Yeah, I think in Sam Monson's mind, brock Bowers was the best player in the entire league and Jaden's not at that level, and that he's evaluating it for what he's asked to do because you can't ask brock Powers to play quarterback. I think that's a fine way to look at it. Not everyone has to, but he came in second.
Speaker 7: I do love that we had Jade and Daniels on our show.
Speaker 3: He had won the fan vote in the morning and then he won the award that afternoon.
Speaker 5: He won the Pepsi you know, die Pepsi Sugar Award Pepsi zero, and then he wins this one. Bonnix comes in third, pretty close to Bowers. Brian Thomas comes in fourth, Neighbors comes in fifth. Bucky Irving, who in some seasons would have won Rookie of the Year, did not get on the podium him in the top five, like he would have absolutely crushed Sam Bradford the year that he won. Or to take it way back, John Stevens of the New England Patriots, the year here went like there are weird years, like Bucky Irving was awesome, but he got buried in this year. Drake May was really good for a rookie, like he would have beaten Sam Bradford. He was seventh defensive Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: How about those.
Speaker 5: Rams, They're just racking up rookie awards so that a year after Puka gets it and then Kobe Turner comes in second defensively. Jared Verse comes in first, Braden Fist comes in third, Quinnon Mitchell in between them at second. Not that close of vote. Actually Verse won it by a decent amount over Quinyon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what I have been seeing circulating and I just want to head this off to pass is like, oh, people look at a sack numbers.
Speaker 1: We don't really do that as much here on NFL Daily.
Speaker 3: They are important, but he led He was like the third in the league in pressure rate the entire year in the league, not just among rookies. Jared Verse was just getting pressure at nearly double the league average every single week except for the Philadelphia Eagles loss and in during the season, I think it was like what weeks week twelve and I'm already who what day is it?
Speaker 1: But yeah, and I like this. I like this for him.
Speaker 3: He is turning into a bona fide name in a superstar. In Los Angeles, they've been waiting to crown their next defensive superstar.
Speaker 5: I mean, they have three guys I know in the last two years that have come in top three for defensive Rookie of the Year and they have Puka Niko on the other side.
Speaker 1: That's outrageous.
Speaker 3: And when people are talking about paying certain veteran contracts, they're not really thinking about the fact that only one of those players has a fifth year.
Speaker 1: Option available to them. And who is that? Jared Verse? Their first first round pick, since it's interesting that he won.
Speaker 5: Your point about the pressures and everything and the sacks is really interesting because I don't think you would have won this award a long time ago, and there's a completely reasonable argument the other way.
Speaker 1: Around that actually we're over correcting.
Speaker 5: I spoke with a extreme ball noer last night, and you can get who it was, someone inside the league who actually think Thoughvers did not deserve this award and that Brayden Fisk was a significantly better player, which was an interesting take, but a reasonable take.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying he's right or wrong.
Speaker 3: I thought it as someone who watched every single snap from both of them all season. I do think Braden Fisk had the better season now in terms of position affecting some of the games. Some of the splash plays too, that Jared Verse made some of the game changing and game altering plays, sealing the Saints game for example.
Speaker 7: Those types of things do stand out.
Speaker 1: Monster Vikings game in prime time the first time around.
Speaker 3: And he's a first round pick, and I know we like to think that doesn't factor things in, but sometimes it does. I do want to say two years in a row, it is interesting at some point will overcorrect again because interior defensive linemen who are the rookie sack leaders did not win this award, and so you know we might And that's so hard. I mean, everyone knows this. Who listens, you know, everyone knows this. It is so hard to do as an interior defender. And I think part of it too was when you look at Jared Versus and how he plays. He is just an absolute force of nature and it takes you a minute, I think, to notice Braidon Fisk, and part of that's the position he plays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the point made to me, which is fair maybe, and this is where the over correction comes, is like, yeah, but finishing the play is really important. Getting that sack is really important. And that's who Jared verse was in college too. He didn't always finish the play. But Braidon Fist was finishing a lot of plays this year and deserved a lot of credit and got it. He came in third. Quinn and Mitchell again a lot of years would have won that. Yeah, awesome, Cooper Dejene, great season comes in fourth, Chop Robinson fifth, It goes on from there. Shout out to tar Heeb still by the way, coming in seventh, for Rookie of the Year. Pretty cool story as a total afterthought in the draft who went to the Chargers, Eder and Cooper with the Packers coming in sixth there and yeah, we mentioned the comeback. The only award we have left is Coach of the Year, which honestly, I think we talked about maybe two much on this show, and so I don't have much more to say. O'Connell wins. It wasn't my choice, but absolutely a great pick. My choice Dan Campbell, and my second choice, Reid came in second and third. I would add O'Connell third, but I think anyway those three wound up would have been great. And so Kevin O'Connell gets his first Coach of the Year award.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right off of that contract extension news as well, So it's been kind of a big few weeks for him. Got to catch up with them a little bit before we started taping today and it was nice to see him say congratulations.
Speaker 7: You know, he was my pick early in this season.
Speaker 3: That being said, I still think it's egregious that Dan Campbell got passed over for the sake of the Kevin Stefanski vote, and we should make up for that at some point.
Speaker 5: In the past you're saying, yeah, because now he's turning into the bridesmaid.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 5: That's two years in a row. Second place for Dan Campbell, which is unca Yeah.
Speaker 3: And sometimes on my point is sometimes voters correct the year after, and they did not do that in mis cap.
Speaker 7: No, wasn't that Cooch And they never have done that for Andy Reid.
Speaker 5: Andy Reid got four first place votes. And it's a trend with all these awards. The votes were really spread out compared to most years where there's a lot of agreement. Even O'Connell, who won a lot of you know, by a lot, only at half the first place votes. So Campbell got some read Sean Payton, Dan Quinn, and then when you're looking at the second place votes like Harbob McDermott, Tomlin, Sean McVay got a few fourth and fifth place votes with La flirt like bowls like so many people got votes and I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: So those are your your awards this year, and.
Speaker 3: I am curious about something. You have it all pulled up right in front of you. Haven't been able to get my tabs to open. Did Sirianni get any votes?
Speaker 5: He got some fourth and fifth He got three fifth place votes. Interesting, but and that sounds like, oh, that's a lot of pop for Sirianni. But then you go down the list, he actually only came in twelfth in Coach of the Year voting.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what that was my question, which is it's just interesting. That's all just noticing, not judging, just noticing.
Speaker 5: I think it makes sense when you're not the guy hiring your coordinators. It's been established and reported that Howie Roseman literally hired the coordinators. You're not calling the plays, you deserve credit, but when you're also creating some drama and distraction, you're not gonna win awards.
Speaker 1: Although I'm totally cool with five you like how.
Speaker 7: I slipped into the host chair to tee you up on that.
Speaker 1: I was good. He got three fifth place votes, which is totally fair.
Speaker 5: Before we go to all of our interviews, and it's going to include someone that got a first place Defensive Player of the Year about Andrew Van Ginkell coming up later on the show with Aaron Jones.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: Okay, the class of twenty twenty five really interesting for a few reasons. First of all, Sterling Sharp is a Hall of Famer. The journey he has been on to get to this point is really something. I'll talk about that in a second. Antonio Gates one of the greatest tight ends of all time. Surprising that he had to wait a year, not surprising that he got in this year. Jared Allen got in, and Eric Allen got in the longtime cornerback of the Eagles, the Saints, and the Raiders after a really long way I think it was like fifteen years, nineteen years, something.
Speaker 7: Like that, and his fifth time as a finalist.
Speaker 1: Right, very surprising to me.
Speaker 5: And he does have a little bit of a connection to New Orleans, although a lot of people did so I don't know if that's really what took him over the top. Sometimes that happens. Let's talk big picture first. Only only four people get in, only one from the coaches and contributors. I did read this big Mike Sando article on The Athletic that explained why, long story short, they made it much more difficult for players to get into the Hall of Fame. But Sando has already said that they did not expect it to be this difficult. Only three modern era people got in it's been five every single year for seventeen years. They made it harder to get in this year, and because of how the math math, only three got in, and I think they were a little surprised. I think they thought they might go from a seven person class to a five or person class.
Speaker 1: Instead it's just four. So they have made this very exclusive and left some.
Speaker 5: Big names out, like Eli Manning, like Adam Vinettieri, like Luke Keithley was probably my biggest surprise who got left out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was his first year eligible, and it was a few people's first year eligible that I think we're surprises. This was the smallest UH Hall of Fame class in twenty years.
Speaker 1: And I wondered if.
Speaker 3: You could expand a little bit more on why this has become as almost as complicated but as difficult as it is. And it is one thing, Greg, I know you're passionate about it, really I do.
Speaker 5: I like to talk about the players more than anything. The process. They've always been tweaking, like they have been tweaking for rules, and at a certain point they thought it was too hard for coaches and contributors to get in, and they started making it to the point where if you got through this Seniors committee or coaches committee, you basically got Robert Stamp.
Speaker 1: You were in. Now they're all going up against each other. Yeah, and so well that's.
Speaker 7: What's happening with Tory Holton Reggie Wayne too.
Speaker 5: So those are two separate buckets. But basically, Shannon Sharp gets voted in Sterling Sharp rather I knew I was gonna do that, and he was kind of almost going up against Homegrin. And once you get to that final vote, you have to get eighty percent of the vote, whereas before it was just isy in or not, and you can have as many people. And it's the same thing with the finalists. So they got down to seven finalists. I actually don't think we need to get too deep in the weeds. But you had to vote at that point for five people and you had to get eighty percent. That's a lot of agreement, and I think they're gonna tweak the procedure to maybe make it not as hard. I do want to talk about Sharp because he's the type of guy should have never waited this long in my mind, got he played seven years, he was a wide receiver, he got MVP votes twice, he got offensive Players of the Year Top Five twice. He made five Pro Bowls. I led the league in receiving three times. He led the league in touchdowns a couple times, and these were like different years too, like spread out. He led the league in recept He is one of the best receivers of all time, and he had a neck injury that ended his career after seven seasons.
Speaker 1: It's like that guy always should have been in the Hall of Fame. He won the Triple Crown.
Speaker 5: We're talking about this Cooper Cup seas and so I'm really happy, and I really loved the content where Steve Weish, our friend from NFL Daily and obviously NFL Network goes around and they knock on the door and they let the people know who made the Hall of Fame. And there was a very touching moment between Shannon, who obviously already in the Hall of Fame and Sterling Sharp as he let his brother know the news.
Speaker 4: To have this moment. And I've had some great moments in my professional life. This is the proudest moment in my life.
Speaker 8: That's how I felt when you win in you know, I.
Speaker 9: Felt like that when you win in and you know, I'm not a crier when you said that you were in and that weekend that we had in Canton.
Speaker 4: Man, I was like a nun and top in that.
Speaker 1: Oh that is so beautiful, Greg, you're emotional right now.
Speaker 5: I got home last night and at like late, and I watched actually because I wanted to catch up on all the news and stuff. I didn't watch this, This wasn't up yet, but I watched Shannon Sharp at some live podcasts. Dude almost do like an eight minute version of that and talking about their journey together as brothers that Sterling essentially raised him almost as he looks at it as like a father, and yeah, maybe it's just football brotherhood, like as brothers. The way he's talking about his older brother and just everything about it to me is it's incredible. And I also really love Sterling Sharp as a player, and I remember him just as a fan. Really cool and to me, the headliner because he's just uh, Shannon is like, you know, he says all the things.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 5: That's Sterling who's a little more stoic like cannot and it's very cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm just I'm watching your face right now and I just I love how much you like, I love this for you. Honestly, you can people who are listening and Greg Greg has said everything you gotta go watch he is.
Speaker 7: He is a little emotional right now. It's very cool in the best way.
Speaker 5: In the background of that video that we just listened to, Steve Weish is there now. He he knows when to lay back, lay back, and it was very very cool. I do want to mention the other guys that did get in and then we're going to take a break. Antonio Gates five All Pros in his career. During the peak of Tony Gonzalez's career, Antonio Gates won three straight first team All Pros over Tony Gonzalez. Just seeing like his prime just so good annoying to me. He had to wait a year. He's gonna be the Luke Keighley of twenty twenty five. Luke ke Lee will be in twenty twenty six. It's outrageous that Keithley has to wait a year because he's obviously a Hall of Famer. And that's where this the math is not mathing of how they set this up. Jared Allen had that twenty two SAX season, but also at a fifteen fourteen and a half fourteen and a half and I'll remember him as a guy who is really big in terms of the player empowerment. He said, I will not play for you unless you pay me my fair money. They were offering him seven eight million dollars a year and they got a first and two thirds for him, and he got the biggest contract in the history of the league. Stood his ground at a time when that just wasn't happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he spoke up for a lot of people. I think after that that was really important.
Speaker 5: And then Eric Allen, as we mentioned, talked to a few great ball knowers over this week and they really thought this was long overdue. So congratulations to him. I want to set up the rest of the show before we take a break, so you're gonna be part of it, Jordan, but not the entire thing. It's got to be interesting, so you won't hear from us again. But we're gonna take a break, we're gonna come back. You're gonna hear a great interview that we did with Andrew Whitworth, me and Jordan good insight on the Matthew Stafford. Listen closely to that, Yes, and then I'll say goodbye to you. Jordan and then Nick Schuck is going to come in. We talked to Jonathan Taylor, we talked to Andrew Van Ginkel and Aaron Jones, and we have a great rest of the.
Speaker 1: Show after that.
Speaker 5: We have a lot going on going on. Let's take a quick break. We'll be back with Andrew whim All right, here with Andrew Whitworth, the Rams Super Bowl champion, the former Walter Peyton Man of the Year, started two hundred and thirty five games in the NFL, and most impressively, has been honking on Radio ro since three am.
Speaker 1: Which is an outrageous feat. How are you? How are you holding up?
Speaker 10: I'm great, man, I was built for this. I got four kids and three dogs. I'm you know, listen, my life is a circus.
Speaker 4: So it's great.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad to see you with It's always a pleasure when we get to talk football together. Yes, and I know that you're here on behalf of Pepsi's well, you have some like intricate welding material here.
Speaker 4: No one knows what this is, all right, Being a Louisiana guy can explain to you. This is a paddle. This is what you use to stir like a crawfish or shrimp pot when you're bowling crawfish, bowling shrimp.
Speaker 10: All the potatoes, corn, everything got down there in your season. You stir your seasoning in with this. Okay, so this is your your bowl paddle. But I'm here with Pepsi because of course there's an old lineman. Anytime they offer you an opportunity part of something with food's involved, you are in. So drinking pepsi and eating food, it's a win. But tomorrow, Friday, twelve to two, I'm a part of the first ever Pepsi's doing the first ever Super Bowl boil.
Speaker 4: So it's a.
Speaker 10: Competition here in town. Fans vote to their two favorite places, Mister Shrimp and Crawling Seafood, and they're gonna compete in a bowl off basically, and I'm gonna eat the food and then I'm gonna say who I like the most. So it's I mean, I don't know how it goes bad for me.
Speaker 1: It's a win win win for you. Specifically, Yes, it's.
Speaker 10: Great, right, I can't wait. It's gonna be a blast and have some fun. They're gonna win ten thousand dollars. Whoever wins I'm supposed to give them this paddle. I don't think that's gonna happen. I'm probably gonna keep it.
Speaker 5: But some of my best times eating in my life are crawfish boils. I went to the school at two Lane. You're loising a guy. I'm not really, but I like.
Speaker 1: To pretend because I was. I was down here. I have a feeling this is my city. You hit it, you hit it hard.
Speaker 5: Give me some, Give me some. Andrew Whitworth. In college eating stories.
Speaker 4: I got some pretty insane stories.
Speaker 10: My favorite one is that, well, I guess, well, maybe I can't say this or I can't. My favorite would be actually in high school in college when I was dating.
Speaker 4: This is Melissa's favorite.
Speaker 10: My wife, I would go get that was back in the taco bell ten for ten days. I used to go get like five bean burritos or like five sal tacos or whatever, and I would eat a ten for ten before I would pick up my dates.
Speaker 4: Because I was so big that I was like worried I was.
Speaker 10: Gonna eat like an animal in front of them, and so I'm so nervous that they're gonna see how hungry I would get how much food out of order that I would go crush a meal then like throw it all the way and go pick up my date so that I could like try to act like at the table, like as a normal person, like, oh, I want to salad, and I would.
Speaker 1: Love some back.
Speaker 3: Two reactions to that one iron stomach, because.
Speaker 10: I know you kidding me. Up from Louisiana. We read everything. There's not an animal we don't eat.
Speaker 4: I would be a.
Speaker 1: Little bit worried just to be in close press.
Speaker 4: Listen. Yeah, I wasn't worried about the date working out.
Speaker 3: I just want to be And then second reaction is, I think we've all seen the photo of you when you were a prospect coming out. You know you're I think your head was about four sizes. I mean you look great, man like.
Speaker 10: It used to be about three sixties. Used to I used to be up there. But you know, listen, we're in New Orleans. I don't know if you guys know this all right? The dome right, yeah, it's it's witsnome. Okay, do you know that what.
Speaker 1: You want to championship there is that right?
Speaker 4: All three levels?
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, he owns it.
Speaker 10: I came here four times in high school State Championship game one three of them, and uh I played in the National Championship with Nick Saban here and won the Sugar Bowl Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I remember.
Speaker 10: And then we controversial beat the Saints in the NFC Championship here in the Superdome. So I have won five titles in the supernow.
Speaker 3: And I know you're a man about the people. So when you're here and you're like walking down the street, do Saints fans they ever come up?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Saints fans ain'ty.
Speaker 10: Here's the thing. I love the Dome. The Dome doesn't love me back. So New Orleans just probably not like me very much because of that game. So that's sole reason. But you know what, this place is pretty special. My first ever football picture promo deal I did, it's actually of me. I'll have to send it to you, Jordan. I'm standing on top of the Superdome and there's planes playing around me like I'm Godzilla and I'm swatting planes because it was like all the other high school teams trying to figure out if anybody could beat West Burow. I think at that time we'd won like forty something games in a row, and so yeah, I mean it said King of the Dome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I would say suggests that we would make a similar promo with Greg.
Speaker 1: But the Hight thing, I don't know if we It's.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like the Twins poster Andrew next to Uh. You mentioned Louisiana. I always think it's like an underrated football state, not to people that are down in the South, but people think Texas first. Louisiana just the level of fandom and what a big deal those high school championships are down here and everything. And I'm thinking about LSU, I'm thinking about your alma mad I'm thinking about Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: I know you have some relationship with Didny Crash on your couch One time.
Speaker 10: I used to come watch games with him when he was hurt because doctor latrosh was I was the one I blew up money and he had gotten injured as well.
Speaker 4: So we watched games together while we were rehaving.
Speaker 1: As a former Bengal.
Speaker 5: This is it's a little tricky, but do you think they're going to do right by Joe Burrow in his career long term? Because when I look at like Jaydon Daniels did our show and does.
Speaker 1: He like Los Angeles follow up.
Speaker 10: I think the tough part with that one is I would argue what Joe Burrow has experienced as he's been there is they've actually attempted to do that. I mean, you look at really, when I played there, there was no free agents, Like, we weren't bringing in high end pre agent guys. They weren't doing any of that type stuff. When Joe got there is when you saw all this aggressive change in the organization. The problem is, and I love, you know, duking those guys to death, but they've completely been just missed on everything they tried to do to replace those guys Like Jesse Bates, you're gonna let him walk. You gotta be able to replace him. They completely missed on replacing him. DJ Reader awesome human, great player. You're gonna let him go. You're gonna try to replace him. Whift on replacing him now, T Higgins, Jamar Chase, you're trying to fair that situation out. Well, you draft a receiver last year who has been a complete disaster. You whiffed again on trying to replace him. So I think they've actually tried to do it. The problem is they've just been very poor and the hell.
Speaker 5: They could have had an upgrade out left tackle for that Super Bowl when they were playing the Rams.
Speaker 10: Well, that's right, So they didn't do a very good job of that. They took two tackles in the first to first two rounds.
Speaker 3: I did have a follow up question I had asked it, just wondering your thoughts on does he like LA?
Speaker 10: I am sure Joe Burrow loves LA. I mean, my guess he's a he's a fashion guy. Uh, you know, he loves having a good time, he likes playing golf. He would love LA.
Speaker 4: But I think they've tried. I just I think unfortunately they've missed the mark.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm thinking about your your team that you followed closely, the Rams now and kind of what all that's up in the air obviously some of your former teammates Cooper cut Stafford. What do you think like he's getting in the way of them being a little more committal to to Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 10: I think it's I think it's really less about that as much as it is all right at some point that clock's ticking like he is.
Speaker 4: He's not getting any younger.
Speaker 10: He has played well, but Stafford's also had a lot of injuries, have been beat up.
Speaker 4: He plays through a lot.
Speaker 10: He's tough, it's can be and I don't think maybe people understand some of the stuff he placed it because he's just so damn tough, like.
Speaker 4: You don't realize it.
Speaker 10: Well, that's true, but I think, really, to me, here's where I'm at with all that. And this is just I'm just speaking out of turn here, But listen, this is the best part of our job. Guess we get to have all the answers, zero accounability, So it's great. Ah, here's what I think since Sean mcday has been the head coach in twenty seventeen, the Rams that already leveraged all their picks for Jared Goff. Then you enter this world where you're trying to put a team together fast with this coach that you believe in a bunch. You're making a lot of crazy moves. There's no stableness in anywhere in the picks and the cap and all this. You go win a Super Bowl by getting a ton of guys brought in that are off the street, and you can't live in that world. Then you re cash in thinking you can do it again, and it's a disaster. Now you have to flip everything again to try and rebuild. You don't have a rebuild. You actually draft great and you've now built a great roster. My point is, I think a lot of these decisions have a lot more to do with how successful Sean mcvay's been in eight years without first round picks, without any kind of a stable cap or situation.
Speaker 4: And you look at these two teams.
Speaker 10: In the Super Bowl right now and go, how freaking good is Sean McVay if we actually gave him a stable world where we just drafted solid players, got good free agents, kind of just built a normal roster that we didn't take big shots and swings, and just let him coach and teach and make great football teams year in and year out, like Andy Reid and these guys do. I think this decision is a lot more to do with that Cooper's expensive. Him and Pook are very similar guys that do similar things. Let's get cheaper there. You know what you're kind of at the end to Stafford, is it a year? Is it two years?
Speaker 4: You continue to be here, Let's continue build a.
Speaker 10: Great roster that a rookie or young quarterback could come in and be successful in quickly and have a stable situation. For Sean McVay to coach, it must.
Speaker 1: Make it makes sense. Yeah, well, I think that's what I would commend. You're you're convincing.
Speaker 4: Not that I get into this stuff. I'll just say I.
Speaker 1: Would say too, Andrew. We've talked about this in the past, too.
Speaker 3: Is like it's having one foot in a previous era of this team building and then look looking at the rest of their the other foot and the rest of this roster in the new era of team building. And I think what a lot of people when they come in here, including people they've traded for, including quarterbacks, they think that maybe they are the team. It is Sean McVay is the brand of that team, And if you aren't clear on it, he makes it clear.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think it's very clear what he is and who he is and what he's done with this group and these rookies. And listen, Cooper's had a massive impact. And like the thing Cooper will be is they will get more players who are like Cooper because of who Cooper was, the impact he's had on that building and everyone in it, and who they've been able to identify.
Speaker 4: This is what we win with.
Speaker 10: That's why Pukinaku is here like all those and Karen Williams, that's why he's there, like they identify those people now in a much better way because of a guy like Cooper, So his impact will live on. Unfortunately he's on the wrong side of You're a really expensive receiver who we kind of already have a guy who could do a lot of those similar things, And wouldn't we rather go maybe invest in a guy who take the top off the defense.
Speaker 4: You go along with Pooka and maybe you.
Speaker 10: Know another tight end that that's kind of a high market guy or something like. There's other pieces that we could add to make those role playing positions matter. And I think that's the big thing when you're building a ross.
Speaker 5: If these moves happen, they should have you explain it. You're better at it than the.
Speaker 1: Lesson sean. They'll get all defensive and become a you know.
Speaker 4: One of these former players. I think they know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: Just you explain it, don't let less explain. Okay, yeah, answer.
Speaker 5: I really appreciate the time here with PEPSI obviously also check out Andrew Whitworth's new podcast with Baby.
Speaker 10: I think it should be witting fits he calls it fits in with you know whatever it's They were already in tiff.
Speaker 5: You know it's outstanding. U so check that out. Appreciate the time.
Speaker 4: Andrew, Yeah, appreciate it, man. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Excited to welcome into the show. Jonathan Taylor of the Indianapolis Colts. Uh much like the guy in the Super Bowl Saquon Barkley when when Jonathan Taylor is in the open field, no one is catching him from behind.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show, Jo, Thank you man.
Speaker 8: I appreciate you guys having me on today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're here with Dary Queen. We'll talk about that a little later. I do think about you, actually when when I think about this Saquon season. Actually, so I am gonna start there, because you had a two thousand yard season, you had a twenty touchdown season all together, and it kind of makes me think, what Saquans He's been in the league for a while. How much do you think a season like that comes down to you, the runner? And how much do you think it comes down to all the players around him?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: Man, it's one hundred percent the players around you.
Speaker 9: The only thing that really happens, and really not even that. Most of the time is once you hit the open field, it's like, okay, do you have enough juice in the tank to get there? But first of all, I mean, you got to get through the line of scrimmage, you got to get through the trenches. You got to make sure your guys, especially with us with the double teams the offensive line, are getting to the second level to the backers. And then really a lot of those explosive runs come from the receivers holding blocks on the outside. And like I said, sometimes okay, let's say maybe a receiver miss a block, you may out run a guy.
Speaker 8: But for the most part, it takes everybody.
Speaker 11: It's just like a math equation at that point, right, there's just less defenders to make miss when you're in the open field.
Speaker 8: Exactly, that's it. And every player is designed to score.
Speaker 9: I like to tell people that every play is really designed to score, otherwise, like why would you really draw it up? And it's like, if everybody does their job, it should execute perfectly. But then of course you have some people like say Kuon that are special and he can just jump over somebody.
Speaker 8: Backwards and.
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely now, how about the change that you guys have undergone the last few years. You obviously know you've had some health issues and everything else, but yet a healthy yer largely this year and we saw who you've been in years past. Was that satisfying to you to know that I still have this in the tank? I prove that I could definitely still do this at a high level.
Speaker 8: It was more just so okay, I can get back on track of.
Speaker 9: Being healthy, because before, you know, never missed game, never miss a practice, and you know, putting it in perspective out of my whole career, took until year three or so four in the league to finally miss something at that position that just doesn't happen. So just now, my main focus was, Okay, now I have to start a new streak, you know, and we got to see how long this goes, how many years I can have a new streak of not missing anything. But the injury rate in the NFL is one hundred percent. You do as much as you can to mitigate that risk. But now I'm working on starting a new streak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a fun scheme.
Speaker 5: With Shane Styken, obviously that the big the two thousand yard season is in a different scheme. What is it about this scheme with Shane Styke And they obviously decide to go with continuity, which I think made a lot of sense with your coaching staff. And what is unique about running behind this scheme that that Shane runs.
Speaker 9: It's just so many options, Like it keeps the defense honest, It keeps them on their toes. You know, you're either handing the ball off, AR is either keeping it, AR has an advantage throw.
Speaker 8: It's like just literally you have to play.
Speaker 9: Honest, And I think that's why we have the opportunity to be explosive and to put a lot of points on the board because defenses can't just hone in on one aspect.
Speaker 11: You're that late season run this year, you're putting up stupid totals like it was like, oh, there he is, and he's just leading them to victory single handling. At one point, you run a touchdown and you end up in the tunnel. What was that like for you to enjoy that type of success?
Speaker 8: It was awesome.
Speaker 9: I always accredit kind of my end of the season play to my high school coach montre Wright at that time. He always mentioned you want to play your best ball in November and December, so they're now translating that to the league.
Speaker 8: Of course, at the end of the season December January.
Speaker 9: You really want to be hitting on all cylinders because those are the games that's going to propel you into that postseason.
Speaker 5: What's it been like being next to you know, you mentioned Ar He obviously lost the starting job for a couple of games this year, then he gets back in the in the lineup that there's been moments, certainly as a rookie when he was healthy where you see you see all the potential. But what's it been like kind of being and being next to him in along for this journey because obviously you're your futures, your team's future, you're all tied together.
Speaker 9: Definitely, and you know, trying to just be back there and have him feel as comfortable as possible to let him know I have your back. I think people really forget the fact that he's really young. There are guys coming in the draft this year that are like twenty four.
Speaker 5: We just talked to Jaydan Daniels and he's significantly younger than Jade Daniels.
Speaker 1: They Richards.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I don't think like thirteen games in college, fifteen in the NFL. Like he's really young, but like you said, you've seen the flashes, You've seen the potential. So this offseason, him putting together a great offseason and then all of us coming together and having a great training camp to be able to have something special happen in India.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what do you think the Missy yellmen is going into the season.
Speaker 9: I think for well, number one, like I mentioned, just him just getting reps, you know, him just getting reps. But now he has a few reps under his belt. Now is on one us as a supporting cast. We got to make those plays in the critical moments. The thing that the Eagles and the Chiefs do very well hents why they're here. It's situational ball, whether you're on the fringe of field goal range, making sure you get there, hey, not taking a sack in certain situation. That is what gets you into the big game, is being very great situation.
Speaker 5: Does Shane have you, like watched some of their old Eagles scheme when he was back in here the twenty twenty two season, just to let you know, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Definitely, what do you learn from that?
Speaker 9: He's such a guru. Listen, there's a funny story. There's actually times at practice it's just like the movie. You're walking on that practice, he's like, hey, JT. Kamire, this is what I'm thinking about. Running little piece of paper or has a pen draws up a play? I think I'll run a third period. And you have when you have a coach like that, a guru like that who's constantly thinking of ways to scheme the opposing defense, out coach the other coach and put his players in a position for success.
Speaker 8: That's all you can ask for.
Speaker 11: Have you had one of those players come through in a game.
Speaker 8: Definitely?
Speaker 9: Definitely, And it's like insane because it hit exactly how he said, not like oh I could hit, but it was just a little different.
Speaker 8: It's like they hit exactly how he said it was going to.
Speaker 1: It's the same. What uh? What's something people wouldn't know about? Jonathan Taylor?
Speaker 5: I feel like, you know, this Colts team somewhat under the raidar not so much on this show because we have a co host. She's not here today, Colleen Wolf. Every year she's just picking y'all to go all the way. So you got to make her. You got to make her look right one of these years. What's something about the Colts maybe and Jonathan Taylor especially that the average fan want to know.
Speaker 9: I think people don't understand of how much how much fun we have working, like I know everybody. Of course we want to win more games, but I think a big part of that is enjoying the process and enjoying the work. So us at practice, we're actually having a good time out there working, busting our tails. And I think if you don't enjoy the process, if you go out there dragging your fee, have your head down like, Okay, you got another day of practice, another day of pads, I don't think it's gonna be very productive. It's not gonna be a great practice. So we actually enjoyed the work. We enjoy the practice, and that's half the battle.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling the energy right now.
Speaker 11: I'm kind of getting almost ready to strap it.
Speaker 1: On all those heavy meals we've been having.
Speaker 5: I'm starting to feel like I can go out and work out. This guy I mean ridiculous, I mean, I Jathan this, No, I did not, did you Jonathan before coming out to do these interviews?
Speaker 9: Definitely definitely for sure that you got first I did leg day. At the end of the day, the legs feed the wolf.
Speaker 8: Yes, at the end of the day.
Speaker 11: Never skip it.
Speaker 5: Never, That's why, That's why he is an absolute professional.
Speaker 1: Jonathan.
Speaker 5: I know you you're here with with Dairy Queen talking about game day food this week to tell us about that.
Speaker 9: Darry Queen has been taking tremendous care of me during the season. Out of season, but I'm here on behalf of their new sauce and toass honey barbecue chicken strips.
Speaker 8: It's a favorite of mine.
Speaker 9: But I always like to pair with their Oreo Blizzard treat because that's oh yeah, it's like a match made in heaven, Like especially after a big game like like Tennessee game that I had this past season, going to Dry Queen.
Speaker 11: You know you hit me in my heart. I used to work at Darry Queen High School. Really yeah, I was on the Blizzard machine doing all that stuff.
Speaker 5: I just I can't imagine, like rolling up to Dairy Queen, the big old shook his.
Speaker 11: Get more people in there. Here's the protein. He's a chicken tenders.
Speaker 5: Jonathan Taylor, great to have you on the show. Looking forward to what the Colts are going to do in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Thank you guys very much for taking a time out.
Speaker 5: All right, we are here with two of the best cornerbacks in the league because they played for the New England Patriots, Christian Gonzalez and Jonathan Jones. Jordan Rodrieg already embarrassingly brought up that I am a Patriots fan, so I'm not even trying to be unbiased in this interview.
Speaker 12: Welcome to the show, guys, appreciate it, thanks for having us, Thank you guys for having us.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask first, like, have you have you guys heard from Mike Rabel at all? I have not, yan't he ain't called me, so.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I got a chance to Yeah, I got a chance to stop buying and talk to him.
Speaker 1: That's first time. So you've been even with the team a long time? Jonathan? Uh? Has he is?
Speaker 5: He like reaching out talking a little bit to some of the veterans that have been there for a while.
Speaker 13: I was just in a facility, so I kind of got to bump into him while I was in there and have moment to talk to him.
Speaker 4: Kind of exciting.
Speaker 1: What do you guys know about him?
Speaker 3: I mean his reputation and obviously I know you're familiar with him in the past as well, but like his reputation sort of walks into the building before he even does.
Speaker 7: Just how well regarded he has been across the league.
Speaker 3: What do you know about him? And are you excited for this sort of new era with him?
Speaker 12: I mean, I just know a little bit. I mean, I don't know too much about him. I mean, I heard he's a good coach. I heard he's like a.
Speaker 4: Raw, raw guy.
Speaker 12: So I mean, I'm I'm excited to see how how things get going.
Speaker 5: You're here, You're here with Bounty and you're kind of wearing Eagles colors. There is that like your AFC guys and sick of the.
Speaker 1: Chiefs win in there? No, no, no, no, that's Bounty Green. Let's be clear, Like.
Speaker 5: Jonaan you were you were in that game AFC Championship against the Chiefs back in the twenty eighteen season. I'm just thinking about and you can think about this too, if you're going to against Mahomes, Like, what were some do you remember some coaching points maybe that Belichick had that the Patriots had when when you would go up against Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 13: Uh, just try to keep him from killing you.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not really much you can do to limit him.
Speaker 13: You're just trying to go out there and compete, because at the end of the day, he's such an incredible talent.
Speaker 4: He can make every throw.
Speaker 13: So you definitely we're kind of glad they ran out of time because they were coming back in that game.
Speaker 4: And so he's a heck of a player.
Speaker 1: You had him in the first half. Yeah, you've heard that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to exploit every margin against him, right, because he knows all of them.
Speaker 7: He knows all the tricks. We've seen this and he has such tenure.
Speaker 3: And I guess I wonder you know, when you're coming into the league, Christian and you're watching him play, and obviously he was there a few years before you were and watching this new generation of quarterbacks sort of led by him, What were your impress And then Jonathan, for you, you're like, all right, buckle in, here we go, a bunch of new guys coming in to defend. What were your first impressions of kind of this wave of quarterbacks who can side arm, they can create out a structure, they can do these sort of mahomes light things.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean just I mean to go back to college, that's kind of you. So I saw that every week. So I feel like it's just more like the newer side, the newer age of football, which I mean only makes me and Jay Jones' job harder. You know, we're out there covering and you can be in a perfect spot, but they can, you know, twist their body an inch and be able to get a better throw, a better angle. So but I mean it makes it harder, but also makes it more fun because it's you know, they we know that they got superstars back there, and it just, like he said, boils down to competing. And I mean that's what we do, is compete for a living. So anything to make it more competitive, we invite the challenge.
Speaker 3: It is like, are they more prepared? I mean, I know you have to be more prepared with them. Are they more prepared as they enter the league?
Speaker 13: Well, I kind of came into the league with a teammate at quarterback.
Speaker 4: Who was about as prepared as you could get that guy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And so like facing that a practice every day, just seeing how meticulous that he was, and seeing that the younger guys are starting to come into the league and just better. You know, they're better from a young age able to play younger. Some of that just comes down to what you know, coaches and office of coordinators are you know, letting them do I think they're kind of letting them play their style of football and not trying to make everybody, you know, a pocket passer and get the ball every out and three steps and things like that. And so you have a lot of offensive coordinators now that are bringing in these youngest quarterbacks and allowing to be themselves.
Speaker 5: So Chris Christians the second team All Pro as a second year player, I feel like the country because the Patriots weren't on a lot of national TV games this year. Obviously we're coming off the injury in your rookie year. Don't know a ton about Christian. I want to ask you, John Then, as his teammate, what makes him good? What makes him unique as a cornerback?
Speaker 13: Well, I want to first say that's I'm on record for going on my Christian Gonzalas parade all the last off season.
Speaker 4: But no, I've seen him come in and.
Speaker 13: Work and just see the attributes that he has as a corner He's a prototypical corner that you want to build. And at the same time, he just works hard no matter what it is. He comes in every day, doesn't say too much. I'm surprised you guys are getting an interview out of him, but I'm so stoked.
Speaker 1: I heard you were quiet, and I was like, oh my god, he's talking. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but he comes in and works hard and he has the speed, the length, everything that you want out of the corner.
Speaker 5: You feel awkward now hearing nice things about you, Christian because you do kind of give up.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm going to make you feel even more awkward.
Speaker 5: You almost give off the vibe that you play with, which is very smooth. I was trying to think of, like how I would describe your style, and you're not moving slowly obviously, but it sort of just all looks very smooth and under control on the field. Is that that like on purpose? That's just how it is?
Speaker 1: I mean a little bit of both.
Speaker 12: I mean, I've just come from a very athletic family, a track background, so I grew up running tracks, so I kind of I learned the correct way to run, which I feel like it's not taught anymore. So I've always got that compliment of like I look smooth or or it used to be not a compliment when I was young. It used to get yelled at all the time of oh, you're not trying, You're not You're not doing that. But it's just that's kind of how I am on the field and off. It's just very even key you.
Speaker 4: I don't really.
Speaker 3: Someone once compared you, and I want to know what you think about this, Jonathan, Like someone once compared you to me as like you know, when you watch a duck swimming across a pond and their legs are paddling furiously under the water, but they're so smooth you don't even know. You barely see a ripple, but you know the effort is just going crazy underneath the water, but you just can't see it. That That's how that person a scout the league describe me, described you to me. And I was like, okay, I mean, like, let's save the writing for the writers, right, But like, you know, I've.
Speaker 1: Never heard that one before. But what do you I mean, yeah too too, and drills to playing.
Speaker 4: He's just just move for you.
Speaker 3: I mean, what is it like to play with I mean, you've played with so many different people. You've led for so long, you know, and brought up the young guys even as you were growing yourself, you know. And so what is it like for you to, I guess, you know, help someone grow up a little bit in the league, but also have that presence that sort of seems to me beyond his years alongside you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes it easy.
Speaker 13: I always remember, like having vets like Devin and things they would say about me, Just say, hey, you come in, you work hard, you don't cause any problems. And so when you have the young guys who do those things, and they're also talented, it just makes it a lot easier to be in that room. I just get to focus on football. There's no distractions off the field, there's nothing else you have to worry about them coming in and getting better at football.
Speaker 5: I want to get your thoughts on what it's like to practice with Drake, mate, because like Jordan said, I'm a Patriots fan. We got we got the young cornerback cornerback in the league. But before I do that, do you know about Jonathan's Super Bowl experiences? He told you at all about that that he has a sack in the Super Bowl, and it was almost a controversial sack. He hit Jared Goff going out of bounds in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl. At that point, it's only three to three. They're driving and he hits them so hard. He goes flying headfirst into the first down marker, and all the Patriots fans watching that are like, oh man, are they gonna flag that? That would put them in field going. They didn't call the flag. It was the right call. I'm glad you laid him out. Maybe that put him in a bad spot the rest of the game, but he can. He can bring the wood. Here in his only Super Bowl he got a sack. Not many cornerbacks doing that.
Speaker 12: I mean, I've probably seen them play, but I mean just from from playing with him and seeing the things you do.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't question. I know he go up there and go lay it. Do you do you remember that moment where you were worried?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I tell guys, wash the feet, wash the feet.
Speaker 13: And I'm like, the whole time I'm running to him, I'm watching his feet.
Speaker 4: He took one more step in bounds and I shot my shot.
Speaker 1: He is slow, shared guy. I thought it was clean. Just saying not just because you're here.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: What has it been like practicing against Drake May?
Speaker 5: What what did he show you kind of as a rookie, and and what was that progress like throughout the course of the season.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean he's something he's out of talent and you kind of could see that from day one. He's just improved so much on his decision making. I mean, that's what quarterback kind of comes down to, and just seeing him out there and practice the decision making, the confidence that he has. It's kind of the things you look for in the young players. Just do they have the confidence? If you get drafted that high, you have the ability, it's just can you transfer that over?
Speaker 3: I want to ask what the dynamic is because it's got to be hard to build confidence against you guys.
Speaker 1: I mean in training camp.
Speaker 3: I know, during the season he's not taking a lot of reps against you guys, but in the training Campscot, you know, some of the live sessions and the live periods. I mean, you guys have to be giving him hell, right, I Mean that's just that's just the way of the corner, right, So how do you build from his perspective? I guess, how do you build confidence? And how do you guys? I know you're not going easy on him, but how do you like talk him up? Even if you pick him off, or even if you make a play on something he does.
Speaker 12: I think it it just goes back to like being competitive, like he knows it's that's only going to get him better. I feel like that's he He kind of encourages it. He'll I mean, me and me and Drake got lockers like right next to each other. So he'll he'll come in and you know, he'll talk a little smack, He'll he'll do a little thing. So I think that's just how he is as a person. He invites the competition and he knows that it's like it's part of it that's only going to get him better.
Speaker 5: So you guys are here with Bounty. I mentioned it before. Tell us a little bit about what you're doing with Bounty.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we're working on a partnership. You know with Bounty, they have the wings super Bowl. I think they said there's four billion wings. Are you gonna beating wings on Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm more if.
Speaker 14: I'm give it to us, If they give it to us, I will but no next week, so their partnership with Bounty and just just cleaning up messes and out here supporting then.
Speaker 5: All right, appreciate you, Christian Gonzales Jonathan Jones of the New England Patriots. It's a new era, but like the old era with the Patriots, it starts in the secondary.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like we're throwing it back to thy law and lawyer Maloy. Yeah, a little bit. Thank you guys for joining.
Speaker 8: Appreciate all right.
Speaker 5: We are here with two of the most electric players at their positions in the entire NFL and of course of the Minnesota Vikings, Andrew Van Ginkel and Aaron Jones.
Speaker 1: Aaron is just chilling here with the sunglasses.
Speaker 15: And always kick man.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, here with Bownie. We'll hear about that.
Speaker 5: And it's like I gotta start with the lead news here, which we talked about earlier in our show. Are you where you got a first place vote Andrew for Defensive Player of the Year on Thursday night, We're talking.
Speaker 1: Let's go, yeah you are. That's pretty special.
Speaker 16: And obviously coming into a new team, new organization and having coaches and everybody believe in me, Flores bringing me in and having that belief and put me in positions to make plays. It's definitely surreal and something it's very special to me.
Speaker 1: It's pretty it's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: So when people type up Andrew Van Gingle in the future and they have the Defensive Player of the Year voting, you ended up coming in seventh overall and you got one of the first place votes. I'm loving that. I'm breaking. What is it about Brian Flores's defense that like brings out the best in you that's fun to play in.
Speaker 1: I think it's very.
Speaker 16: You know, you just have to be smart, dependable, and you know, you gotta love football, and that's something that he preaches. And you know, when you allow his scheme and take advantage of where he's putting you doing certain things to put you in play positions to make plays and be successful. And you know, that's something that I pride myself on, is just being accountable, being in the right spot at the right time, running to the ball, high effort. And it's something that Flores appreciates. And you know, obviously he drafted me to Miami and was part of the reason I'm in Minnesota. So he's got that belief in me and confidence, and you know, when you got a coach like that, it allows you to play fast and have fun and at the end of the day, it allows you to make plays. And the plays come to you and just got to make them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, speaking of being in position, in the right position at the right time, that's like your knack, Like that's just what you do. That's what you've made your name. Two interceptions this year, both returned for touchdowns. You almost had another one in Week eighteen against the Try. I'm sure you still think about it. Yeah, what is it about that? Like what where did you get that that just innate sense to be in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 16: I think it's just I love for football. I love watching football. I love being around football. I'm you know, if I'm not playing it, I'm watching it or you know, talking about it and just having that instinct that just you know, I can see things before they happen, and I try to envision it, and you know, you know, I've.
Speaker 1: Had great coaches too.
Speaker 16: I've had fan Jo, I've had Flores and then all the ton of assistant coach Campinelly who's.
Speaker 1: Now the Jaguars DC guys that have.
Speaker 16: Taught me football, and you know how teams are trying to attack us, and you know from week to week it's kind of similar. So I'm just taking that and using it going forward.
Speaker 5: See seeing the game ahead of time. I think you have that in common with your teammate here, Aaron Jones. Is one of the things I always enjoy watching you, Aaron is you You seem to set up your blockers very well. You can be patient, and you seem to have an idea of what the defense is going to do before they do it.
Speaker 1: Like, how did you learn that? What's the keys to doing that?
Speaker 17: I think it's just just playing the game for a while. The more the more reps you get, the more more you see. And then Kanye how he how what he hit on the coaching, You're you're getting coached up, so you're you know what they're what the defense is trying to do. If if our goal is to run outside zone, you know they're it may not get outside, but you you.
Speaker 15: Have to stay on your keys.
Speaker 17: You gotta press the aim point to get the guy to move and then put your foot in the ground.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 17: Just just kind of some of those things. And uh also just I guess the kind of well, I was gonna say seeing it before it happened, but but uh, what's the word. I can't think of the word, But just kind of being on your toes really like not predicting, but seeing what's happening before it happens, or thinking like, okay, this is if my if this guy's in a three technique and the backers over here they're they're doubling to him, but if he sees me do this, then I'm gonna I'm gonna do this. So just kind of already having a plan in your head.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you're able to react to that because you've had so many reps doing that, right, Yes, you've gotten a lot of reps on both sides of this rivalry between Minnesota and Green Bay from the time with the backers. But early in the season it kind of struck me because obviously you had a great year, you seemed really grateful to be with the Vikings. What did you experience in your first year with Minnesota that made you realize this was the right choice.
Speaker 17: Just the management, my teammates, the support staff there, uh, the locker room, just everything that that's a great place to be.
Speaker 15: They really take care of you. They take care of your family.
Speaker 17: Uh, it's a it's a family like family first organization.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 15: It is just a blessing to be in Minnesota.
Speaker 17: The support that they showed us, even from just when the moment I signed, uh signed my name on the dotted line, they they just showed nothing beloved to me and my family and continued to show that through all throughout the season. So, uh, they we have we have great fans in Minnesota. The stadium there is electrics. To me, is the best place to play.
Speaker 5: So yeah, what's it like going up against uh this defense in camp? I can imagine like they're throwing a lot at you that's not letting you kind of do the plays that you want to just run and camp as you're learning the offense.
Speaker 15: So so at first in camp it was it was smooth. They were taking it easy.
Speaker 17: They were they may they may bring one blitz, not getting into any hard looks. But towards week three week for the end of camp, they're getting in all these looks and you're like, you're able to scratch your head and la, We've as a offense, we gotta we gotta speed this up, our protections everything to be able to compete with these guys at practice, and I think they they truly made us better this year. And uh, when when we were going against them and we'd have a little success, We're like, Okay, well we're gonna we're gonna be good this year because this is this is a great bunch that we're practicing against every day. And then they also get in so many different looks. You don't know who's coming. So being able to practice against that on a daily basis, it prepares you for uh, when you when you're out there going against another defense, you you've seen it all at that point.
Speaker 11: Yeah, competition brings out the best in you guys, and it seemed like that's what we got from this team in twenty twenty four. What about playing under Kevin O'Connell, who's a guy who's still you know, in his first few years as a head coach. Seemed like you guys just had were steady, like you knew where you wanted to go and really most people weren't stopping you for most of this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 16: You know, it starts with doing routine things routinely, just things that you do on a weekly basis, on a daily basis, you know, taking it from meetings out to walk through to practice, and you know, they always had this mindset of we're going to go. Want to know, like, no matter what happens down the road, don't look past. You know, three game road trips, you know, three games at home. It's one game at a time. We win this game, and you know, we move forward, We learned from it, and we move on to the next week.
Speaker 1: What would your scouting report be to stop your teammate here, Aaron Jones?
Speaker 16: Oh man, you know, we'd have to stack the box, make sure you make them one dimensional, and don't let him get going because once he you know, once he finds that step, it's hard, it's hard to slow him down.
Speaker 1: We got to see you in Minnesota again next.
Speaker 17: Year, Yes, sir, that's why that's where I want to be and that's where I hope to be at.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you got are here with Bounty. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 15: Oh yes, sir, so blessed to be here with Bounty.
Speaker 17: You can't have football without wings, and you can't have wings without Bounty.
Speaker 15: And me and my wing man have just been hanging out.
Speaker 11: Uh nailed it, beautiful.
Speaker 4: He loves I don't even have to say it.
Speaker 8: He's already talked about it.
Speaker 1: He loves ball.
Speaker 4: I love ball.
Speaker 15: And it's just easy to sit back and talk ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And if you're if you're watching or listening to us, I do highly recommend checking out the YouTube version of the show as well, just to see Andrew van Ginko's flowing locks and then Aaron's great look with the hat in the in the shades and it's all happening. We are going to take a quick break here on NFL Daily. We will be back on the other side with a couple of interviews here. We're going to talk to to Matt Castle. We're going to talk to Joey Chestnut before wrapping up radio. Bro see you on the other side. All right, we are here with Matt Castle, our new teammate here. Yeah at iHeartRadio, NFL Media podcasts.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Maybe not quite the same bond that that you had with like Mike Rabel. Uh, you guys got traded to trauma trauma bonding.
Speaker 4: We're both traded.
Speaker 18: I mean I was kind of fired up about it because I knew I was going to maybe get to play now, you know, because going back to the Patriots. But Mike, on the other hand, was like, really, you trade me with Castle to Kansas City. I can't just finish my career here, Like what's the deal. Yeah, we're a package deal, so thank you.
Speaker 5: So now you're a package deal with Bobby Bones and yeah, everyone should check out lots to say.
Speaker 1: Bobby's really talented.
Speaker 4: He's incredible.
Speaker 1: I'm a wonderful person.
Speaker 18: And it's really nice, great human, just could have a conversation with anybody he makes.
Speaker 4: He's so welcoming his personality.
Speaker 18: But he's funny, conversational, and just so easy to get along with. So I've been very blessed to be with him and linked up with him on this podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they're down there in Nashville together, and I actually do want to get to a little ray Ball and old Patriots talk, because of course I do.
Speaker 1: But you guys were talking about before.
Speaker 5: The before it started, and we learned that you guys have something in common that you played multiple positions in college. People might forget quarterback, and Belichick he loved getting the credit for like, oh yeah, we found this guy who was like not even like a quarterback, and now now look at him.
Speaker 1: He's great.
Speaker 5: But we learned while talking Matt that Jordan played multiple positions on her intermural team.
Speaker 1: So tell us more about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, black football, quarterback and tight end talking about co ed team, and girls would get the touch every one out of every three downs, every four downs. So we would cheat the down because I could throw. So I played quarterback and we run all kinds of trick plays and then I'd play tight end and then we cheat the down more.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we were champions champions.
Speaker 4: Yeah what do you get? What are you get in that intermural league? If you win the.
Speaker 1: Championship t shirts? And I still have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would keep that forever.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of sad because it so faded now because I wear it all the time because flex right. Yeah yeah, but it's the text of it is so faded that now I'm like, oh no, Now I'm going to have to be that person that like tells people like opens it because I can't just read it, you know, I'm gonna have to be like So, by the way, in my glory days, let me tell.
Speaker 18: You about this play that I drew up and dropped a dime in the championship game.
Speaker 3: That was the move it was just like a three sneaky athletic hosts.
Speaker 1: Here three for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, big time pickleballickball.
Speaker 1: Massachusetts state champion tennis player.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about team.
Speaker 1: You know, I was starting.
Speaker 5: And then yes, Matt would get hit with the sneaky athletic back in the day because when when you were taken by the Patriots and you played multiple positions and and then you end up becoming the backup and and you end up getting your your shot as a starter. It was exciting for me as a fan because we had the quote unquote sneaky athletic quarterback.
Speaker 1: Because you got some rushing yardage back back in the day.
Speaker 5: At least for like the the nine ten ten era you were doing it.
Speaker 18: It was you know, it was more of necessity sometimes when you drop back, especially early on, I was like, okay.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna panic now and I'm just gonna take off and run.
Speaker 18: And it was something that you know, it was it was something that I had in my bag that I was like, okay. And so even the way that they designed some of the offense that year, you know, Josh McDaniels would put in some boots and stuff like that because I was a little bit more athletic than Tommy. Temmy was more of your traditional quarterback. But I you know, I let the Caboos get loose every now and then, you know they did. They had that documentary where they made me look like Michael Vick that all I did was run and I'm laughing. I'm going I did throw the ball a lot that season, but it was all good.
Speaker 5: Morning because in my head, and it's probably because of that doc two, like you were Michael.
Speaker 1: Vick back then. Oh yeah, it was like you know, you had two hundred and fifty rush.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it was solid, but nothing nothing to really, you know, tell your friends.
Speaker 5: Is it weird that Josh McDaniels is the offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just for the listeners to back it up, he was your quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Coach, quarterback coaching coordinator.
Speaker 5: League and then coordinator as well. He had that, he had the two titles. I think when you entered the league. Yeah, he was already the coordinator. So maybe talk me out of that.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 5: There is part of me as a Patriots fan that's like I get it, and yet at some point shouldn't they be maybe turning the page instead of trying to re live old glory.
Speaker 18: Tell me your thoughts, Well, I don't think either are trying to releveled glory. What I do believe is Josh is at the core of him, he's a teacher and he's very good with young quarterbacks old quarterbacks, but he's exceptional in terms of game planning, and that's always been one of his strengths is seeing a defense because he understands the defensive side of the ball so well, designing a game plan to attack their weaknesses. And also forgot like Drake may coming into this situation somebody that obviously you want to see continuous growth, make that jump from year one to year two, and he's somebody that understands how to do that, and he's done that throughout his career.
Speaker 4: So I think it's a great hire.
Speaker 18: And he's also familiar with Mike Vrabel, understands what's going to be expected for him on the offensive side of the ball. But you know, part of being a good head coach is hiring good talent around you, especially on the coaching side, and Josh McDaniels is one of the best coordinators in the league and has been for a long period of time.
Speaker 3: You know what I do want to know from you, though, from your perspective, is you hear stories about him and how particular he is, and sometimes that can rub people the wrong way if you don't know how to approach him or communicate with him or vice versa. And I have heard a lot about how he's sort of been talking about just always continuing to learn, even in this phase of his career, and trying to be a better communicator or to reach a wider range of people. And I'm kind of wondering if you're a young player and like you aren't necessarily aware of how extensive his resume is, right Gerald, a young player, you maybe were too young to be in the Patriots heyday and agent Greg a little bit here, not you though, never you, But how would you explain to young players like how to reach Josh and vice versa, how for him to reach this younger generation.
Speaker 18: Well, it's an interesting question just from a perspective standpoint, because I had him for four years as my offensive coordinator. Now I never had him as a head coach, and I think some of the dialogue that you're discussing right now is more as a head coach because as a head coach, you're taking over a program and everybody needs to be in line with what your vision is.
Speaker 4: And sometimes that I think can be.
Speaker 18: A challenge for coaches to fall in line because you want to let them do their thing because that's why you hired him. But if you have that controlling mentality, you rub people the wrong way. But as a coordinator, I never had any issues as a quarterback walking in having great communication with him.
Speaker 4: He was a great communicator.
Speaker 18: He's a great teacher, but he also was somebody that was collaborating. He was a great collaborator in terms of, hey, what do you like on third down? You know when we get into two minute drill, you like three by one versus two by two? You want to do both like he was having those constants and for a young quarterback who's stepping in for the first time to take over for the greatest of all time, Tom Brady, he gave me that ability to tell you how how you felt about particular plays, because at the end of the day, you're going to be successful at the quarterback position when you're comfortable with place yea. Sometimes there's plays that you know, I've been around coaches that this is what we're doing, this is how we're going to do it.
Speaker 4: There's no back and forth.
Speaker 18: But he has was always outstanding from a standpoint of being a offensive coordinator and communicating, having that open conversation.
Speaker 3: And I like that fit with Mike because Mike is you always hear him described in two words through three words, I guess, demanding, never degrading.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I think I don't know. He's a friend of mine who's been very dere for you. Maybe it's off the football field.
Speaker 7: He has no respect for how you used to you know, used to be.
Speaker 3: So I think that this is an interesting pairing because it's a role reversal of sorts, right having joshin, but Mike really knows how to reach players. And he also he's spent I think behind the scenes, and not a lot of people talk about this publicly because he certainly keeps it a secret, learning the game, all the situational mastery that he has, and how obsessive he is over those things, winning in the margins and giving players the answer to the test. Have you seen him as a friend but also as a formateamate How have you seen him develop into like the person and the coach.
Speaker 1: That he is now.
Speaker 18: Well, it's funny because as a player and as a teammate, you always knew Rabe's incredible passion for the game, and that showed up on a daily basis. It's not just the way he worked out, it's how he led our team in the locker room, on the field, but even in scout team when the starters look. A lot of starters are not on scout team. They're taking their blow, getting ready for their reps when they go ones to go against the other side.
Speaker 4: But he would go out on scout team.
Speaker 18: To give us a look and play safety and be messing with us, trying to disguise.
Speaker 4: But we always felt like we called him Papa Rabes, but he would always.
Speaker 18: He would describe him that and see him and go, he's going to coach someday. And he immediately went into coaching. He was under Urban Meyer, went with Billy O'Brien, Romeo crdell was there, so he had the familiarity there. But then he took over the Tennessee Titans, and you saw he was ready to become a head coach. And when you say he's demanding there's no doubt you've got to do your job when you come from that system.
Speaker 4: But he's outside the.
Speaker 18: Mold of your typical Bill Belichick disciple, right because he played the game.
Speaker 4: He understands the locker room, the dynamics.
Speaker 18: When to push, when to pull back, and all those and all those different dynamics that you have to have to be a successful coach. And so it was probably a little bit of a learning experience at times, but he had a tremendous amount of success with the Tennessee Titans. The way it ended, it ended, and that's just that's the league. But now that he comes into this role, with this organization and the love that already that fan base has for him, he'll do a tremendous job there.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he was not born a mask, but he but he I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: But I also to just expand on that point a little bit more, like I love even when the Titans didn't have a great record, you always knew that if you were going to be coaching against Mike Rabel in like late game situations or there's a clock management thing that was going to maybe swing things a certain way, you're ft because he just know, like, that's what I've loved about watching him coach over the years. Less so even some of the stuff that's that's overt and you can watch how he is with players and how they speak about him, But just those little things like when he out fox Bill Belichick on the opposite sideline. That was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and it was just the clock running down. Yeah, and it was like, I'm so fired up.
Speaker 18: It's the game within the game, and there's always those those moments, and we practiced them religiously, but not every organization as as detail oriented as other organizations. But the two minute drill at the end of the half, the four minute drill, running out the clock, when to use your timeouts, when to save those timeouts, all those different situational football is what we call it. It's so important within the game and that a lot of times will determine wins and.
Speaker 4: Losses because you take, like you said, alt Fox and.
Speaker 18: You you let the use the right timeout or however you manipulated the game in some way because you're within the rules. But it's that extra level, it's that mastery of what you're doing situationally that the football game itself sometimes can be determined by that simple decision.
Speaker 1: So let's take it back to eight.
Speaker 5: Well, you know they're coming off that No, when was that.
Speaker 1: I don't really want to tell you, guys how old I was. That's just ridiculous season.
Speaker 5: And Brady, unbeknownst to everyone in the stadium, you know, tears his acl always remember you know where I was, like in the NBC Sports dot Com like newsroom, like him walking down that those stairs and everyone's like, oh, it's walking. It's it's probably okay you you come into the game. Ends up being one of the most sneaky fun Patriots seasons as a fan, I think, just because it was so different and unexpected.
Speaker 1: But I remember, you know, you go out there, they win that game. You don't get credit for that win. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I know, I'm still pretty pissed off about that. You know, in the Major League base I'll give you credit.
Speaker 18: Yeah, in major league baseball, right, if you're the starting pitcher and it's zero zero, when you come out of the game and the reliever comes in, they score a few runs you the reliever gets to win.
Speaker 4: That's not the case of football. If you start the.
Speaker 18: Game and take one snap, guess what you get the win. So it was zero zero when I came into that game, and I would like to think that I helped score some of those points.
Speaker 4: And so we ended up winning that game.
Speaker 18: And I was like, wait, I don't get credit for this. Everybody's like, you went ten and five that season. I was like, no, we didn't. We win eleven and five.
Speaker 4: And they're like, no, no, no, you didn't get the credit for that. Brady did.
Speaker 3: But you know what, never lost to history as long as you're on NFL daily, because we.
Speaker 4: Will go, Yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: You absolutely will. That was an eleven and five season.
Speaker 1: Ye, damn it, damn it, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I love You're wearing the Dodgers representing the out here, so you're a Patriots Dodgers combo, which is what I'm trying to raise my son to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 18: You know, I grew up in LA and obviously the Dodgers. That's one of the sporting events that I used to go to consistently as a as a youth. And the CEE, how do you not cheer for a team from the home home crowd goes out wins the World Series? Otani, all these guys, the superstars that they have. It's it's been fun to watch now. It's it's great when you have the payroll that they have. You know a lot of people are probably pissed off about that, but hey, hey, I love it.
Speaker 7: It's a lot of the rich owners being pissed at rich owners.
Speaker 1: Go cook, guys, yeah.
Speaker 4: Go cook. Just keep bringing those players in and it's fun to watch.
Speaker 3: We were talking about, you know, the fact that you were robbed of a victory here, and I had this question.
Speaker 7: I asked Greg this sometimes we talk about this back and forth.
Speaker 3: But if you could change a rule or at least put a new statistic that people should get credit for in a box score for a game, Like in my mind is I feel like if a punter pins a team inside the five and then there's a safety, the punter should get one point.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that. That's my thesis.
Speaker 3: So, because you know you were so mercilessly robbed, I thought, hey, I wonder if you have an idea of what you would like to include in a stat line.
Speaker 4: In a stat line.
Speaker 18: You know, it's interesting because stat lines can be so deceiving at times, and you know, I sit there sometimes and of course, I'm a quarterback. So I sit there and I watch and you'll see a stat line, oh, he threw three picks. But you go watch the game and the ball ricocheted off somebody's hands, and I was like, I think that one should go to the wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 18: You should get so open instead of me getting just slacked because most people haven't watched really truly the entirety of the game that you see a stat line like, oh, he sucked this game. You know, ka Castle or whoever it might be. They threw three interceptions, well not really realizing that the one hit him right in his chest. If it's a catch, the ball hits you in the chest, the wide receiver gets an interception.
Speaker 4: On his stat line. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: I'm just I mean, that's my bias.
Speaker 1: But also, you're a quarterback, so you have to go up in the media.
Speaker 3: And I get it, everyone gets paid whatever, but like you have to go up in the media and be like, yeah, I didn't have my best game today, you know, like.
Speaker 1: You have to take accountability for it. Anyway, we're all adults here. We can add some judgment to the status.
Speaker 18: Well, also, the sacks that go against the rushing yards of a quarterback. I was like, he wasn't running the football, like I know, somebody's got to get a stat but negative rushing yards because you're sitting in the pocket and somebody came through and crush you.
Speaker 3: I have a cool matt Stafford Matthew Stafford line from this year where he was actually timing his kneel down so he was running a little bit.
Speaker 1: We called him Skinny Stafford.
Speaker 3: He's running a little bit more, you know, he got he was playing tennis in the offseason, so he's moving around a little bit, and he would pick up a couple of gimme yards or converted down whatever, and then he would try to time the number of kneel downs. If they were, you know, winning the game, they would time the number of needs to have a neutral stat line because he didn't want to finish the season with one rushing yard, so he would try to time the negative nail downs and even back up.
Speaker 18: And some Stafford would do right, like who he's got a beautiful mind.
Speaker 5: He started doing that too when he was trying to not get that and I forget what old when he was trying to get over a thousand yards and then he would go actually before I let you go, and we are going to let you go here again.
Speaker 1: Lots to say everyone.
Speaker 5: Check out Matt Castle, Bobby Bones, two of the best getting it done. I loved watching you, Matt, by the way, when you were doing the NBC Sports Boston stuff with Tom Kurn. So you've been in the game for a minute, and that makes me wonder if your old teammate Tommy as you called him, I'll call him, I ask you for any advice about getting into the media game when he was joining.
Speaker 4: Not a shot, he called me and asked me anything, you know.
Speaker 18: I was like, Tommy, come on, you know, I literally I'll talk to him and I just give him crap, like even when he's on the television. I'll just write some ridiculous text to him while he's on air, like you look like hell today, like something like that. But that's our relationship. He's like a big brother to me, and he's just a great dude. But never ask me for any advice. Not like he needs any advice, but he's gonna be to his own drum. He's very self motivated, as you know. So he's a perfectionist and everything he does. But I know that he was working his butt off trying to get prepared for the season, doing reps and everything else that goes into it. But he's just gotten better and better throughout the course of the year, and now he's on the biggest stage.
Speaker 4: It'll be fundable to hear this guy. I was like, just still moves it up. Yeah, nobody will be watching.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gotta have that friend of yours in your life, like Matt Castle.
Speaker 1: Just you question yourself in huge moments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's important.
Speaker 5: Do I look like crap? Am I doing a good job? We're almost there, We're almost two Sunday. Yes, Tom Brady will be calling that game. We'll be covering it here on NFL Daily. I'm sure you guys will be covering it in the coming weeks on lots to say, great having you, Mackcastle.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys. It was a pleasure, all right.
Speaker 5: So we say goodbye to Matt Castle, who is once teammates with Tom Brady, them Tommy Tommy, and now we welcome in the go of another competitive enterprise, and that's eating It's Joey chest not welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me, guys.
Speaker 1: Hey Welcome to NFL Daily.
Speaker 5: This is a dream I never knew I had, which was to learn all about how your body prepares itself for competitive eating and the life that you've chosen for yourself.
Speaker 19: You'll learn to a degree. I'm not gonna give you any pictures, but it's it's not all pretty, but it's it's beautiful.
Speaker 5: I feel like you, you know, Nick, Nick Shook of course is joining us now.
Speaker 1: And you guys have like a lot in common that you can well.
Speaker 11: We're both of similar statues, I think, except one's really really amazing at eating. He's elite and I just like to eat.
Speaker 1: No, he also likes to work out. Apparently this guy's ripe. There's something wrong with him.
Speaker 7: We really like sitting him and Greg next to each other.
Speaker 1: I team him.
Speaker 5: It's not like having a bouncer, but it's just so that the guests respect me more.
Speaker 1: Nick next to me.
Speaker 5: How do you, Joey prepare for your your big events? And like, how does it vary depending on what the event calls for?
Speaker 19: It's uh, runners have to run, fighters have to fight, and you know, I have to eat. I do practice contests, simulate the contest before we practice. There's a pretty much a cleanse, no solid food, lots of water, a couple of oils. I make sure it's a clean highway. I'm empty and loose, so when I when I put the food in, I'm I'm gonna go from empty to fole and it's gonna be Uh, it's gonna be ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what I was hoping you would bring up first, because I have so many questions about how you recover and how you get back and regulate after like everything, And I'm trying to ask this very politely, like.
Speaker 1: Holy hell man, usually nature works out.
Speaker 3: It's uh, is it like a gravity situation? It's just gravity does It's there.
Speaker 19: I'm taking walks, but I go to sleep drink. Either I'm getting up to drink water or I'm waking up with a look in my eye.
Speaker 1: I'm running thing.
Speaker 19: I don't like to run very fast very often, but that's when I'm not even I don't have a choice.
Speaker 11: We were kind of chatting about this earlier. What was like the moment when you realized, oh, I can actually do this, like for real, like.
Speaker 15: On an elite level.
Speaker 1: It's been a weird.
Speaker 19: Like you talked to football players, they knew when they were five years old they were gonna be professional. I knew when I was five years old that I could eat because I was like something I was a little bit ashamed of. My mom would yell at me, and my brother's be like, no, you didn't leave any food for us. So I was like, So it was like something that I was like, oh, all right, I was like self conscious of. And then I started doing eating in college a little bit faster, and my friends were like, oh my god, we can sign you up to a contest.
Speaker 1: And it, uh your friends made money off you.
Speaker 4: They were like, no, you can do it.
Speaker 19: Like I was twenty one and I finally did a contest in Reno because they offered me a free hotel room. It was a casino, and uh, I was like, oh my god, I can get paid to eat.
Speaker 3: So I have to know too, like you are. Everyone knows who you are, Like we all have watched you on TV. We've all marveled at like the feats of eating. And I was gonna try to do a better pun than that, but didn't work out. The when you go to gatherings, if it's like you go to a barbecue, you're with family, maybe people you don't know as much.
Speaker 7: Do people make really stupid jokes like I just did.
Speaker 19: I mean, they're not bad, they're just I've heard all like, oh, get this guy away from the grill, make sure you get the hot dogs before he gets there, like, and then then find out that they cook like weird, crappy hot dogs, like I'm not gonna I'm not gonna go to town on your hot dogs. Like I'm actually like, I'm kind of like a hot dog snob. They have to be good hot dogs. If they were really good to a'll be hot dogs and they're grilled and a little bit snapped to them, you might have to watch out, especially if I'm drinking. Things have a tendency to just disappear.
Speaker 11: Do you ever find yourself like where you shift into that mode? Even at a gathering, you're like something, you're just splitting the hot dogs and you're doing two at a time, and you're you're dipping the bread, and.
Speaker 5: People must challenge you, like even when it's not for money, just to see if they can step up to the king.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I don't usually get it. And no, I don't think I've ever dipped a hot dog. And uh, water or the bund and water for fun. But but there are times where I'm where I'm finding a rhythm where it's I got I got a drink in one hand and hot dog, yeah, and it's things just disappear and uh yeah, Like he's like, people challenge me once in a while in a baseball game like the State, let's see you can eat this hot dog or drink a beer, and you know, I'm fine. It's it's always the happiest people.
Speaker 1: If you were.
Speaker 5: Lost to a casual uh hot dogs.
Speaker 1: No, no, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like, I feel like if I mean, we're friends now, but if we were friends before this, I would have definitely paraded you around the bar scene and been like, look look at this guy.
Speaker 7: You want to challenge him? Do it and then like make a little money on the side.
Speaker 1: You know you can try. Yeah, it's uh people.
Speaker 19: People find out pretty quick after after one hot dog and they're like, oh, I don't want to go get.
Speaker 11: Some and it makes you feel any better. I've been challenged to many arm wrestles before, and I always just do the the old Jerry Seinfeld, I choose not to wrestle. You know, we're just not going there. There's a really you don't want to hurt anybody.
Speaker 5: So of course you always hear football players talk about, like, you know, when they're they're away from the game, what they they missed most of the locker room camaraderie. Uh even even with their rivals, the understanding. So it is there some of that with you? And like Kobe Yashi, is.
Speaker 4: It hates me?
Speaker 19: I mean, I mean I'm kind of I'm kind of a jerk to the other competitors. Okay, I mean it's not it's competitive eating, not competitive nicing. Okay, So like before before the contest, I'm like, I'm gonna tell him, Like I already called my mom.
Speaker 4: And told her I won.
Speaker 11: Talker too.
Speaker 19: They were like what, like, yeah, she's she said that everybody knew I was gonna win.
Speaker 11: Is that where the nickname comes from?
Speaker 4: Jaws? Yeah?
Speaker 19: No, no, Sonya Thomas, the black Widow gave me that. She said, I can over my mouth really wide.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you did it when we were getting ready actually, and I got a little scared for a second. We were I was like whoa, whoa right just right there. Yeah, Like I have a question though, because you've said a couple of cool things. Uh, it's not competitive. It's competitive eating not competitive.
Speaker 1: Nice thing.
Speaker 3: You should make that a T shirt before someone else jumps on that. What are the what are some like really either pun heavy or dumb catchphrases that you thought about maybe trying.
Speaker 19: Out a little bit like one of the lines there's like if you it doesn't take much imagination, like I don't stop eating until the job's done. You could can imagine like, yeah, what else do I say? Just put it in your mouth and swallow it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean that.
Speaker 11: That would do numbers that I.
Speaker 19: Love to give other eaters direction, like you're just not swallowing fast enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, that's very helpful instructions.
Speaker 5: Is there like a non hot dog food that you do that like you like to competitively eat?
Speaker 1: And maybe one that that has been a problem for you?
Speaker 19: Oh my god, dude, chicken wings. I love chicken wings and I'm on a losing streak with chicken wings. Buffalo one of the best cities in the country.
Speaker 4: They have a huge Buffalo Wing festival.
Speaker 19: And I I'm on a losing streak there, and there's a huge wing contest in Miami. I think I've lost it three years in a row. So I'm going back there in March in Miami. Hopefully I can go in there not break my diet the night before.
Speaker 4: I can. I can.
Speaker 19: Yeah, It's that's the problem with Miami and Buffalo. Those those cities are fun places to go out. Yeah, and I just have too much fun. But this year, I really want to make sure I get to win.
Speaker 11: So it's not like the Yeah, exactly, drums are flats? Is it like the Is it the construction of a chicken wing that makes it difficult or no?
Speaker 19: No, no, it's uhum, the contest are drums and flats. I think I us. I used to have a really good I was like on a winning streak with chicken wings for a while, but last three years, I have a right. I just need to find my happy place. I'm actually gonna do some practice this year.
Speaker 1: It's a blind spot.
Speaker 5: It's also a little like the NBA teams that come into Los Angeles and don't really show up for the mattin A the next day, you know, because they were out too late.
Speaker 1: That Yeah, you know, it's all my fault, you know, no excuses.
Speaker 19: I'm going to go out there and I'm going to make sure that, uh yeah, I'm actually going to go out there a little bit earlier.
Speaker 4: Make sure I practiced with the.
Speaker 19: Right wings, like different regions have different wings, like the chickens are. Like one year I had a hard time. I was pulling the wings so hard the bone would snap and I.
Speaker 11: Had to fish the midway on time.
Speaker 7: So it's just an equipment malfunction right there. So I have to ask. So the most you can lie to.
Speaker 1: Me on this too. By the way, you have permission.
Speaker 7: The most wings I've ever eaten in one setting is twenty six.
Speaker 1: Is that good or bad? Twenty six? It's not too bad. They're all flats.
Speaker 19: The flats are the better meat, I think. Yeah, I think the drums there's a lot more cartilage in there, and the flats that are easy to read clean.
Speaker 1: Twenty six.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it took me some time, but yeah, that's not that's not bad.
Speaker 1: What how much do you have when you're doing my best?
Speaker 19: One time I did a twelve hour live stream with Hooters and I did four hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's.
Speaker 5: Yes, he is the best in the game.
Speaker 1: Will go out on that.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you joining the show. The best to ever do it thanks to Well, you never know what's going to happen at Radio Row. You might end up finishing out your week talking.
Speaker 1: To Joey chest What a time to be alive.
Speaker 11: I mean, hearing about hot dogs and his preferences wings. The strategy with Wings, well, you were very.
Speaker 1: I was very interested. I like it.
Speaker 5: It's a good taste of what it's like around here because we haven't set the scene too much, but this is I feel like the biggest place in the most media that we've had at Radio Row since the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: A lot smaller after the pandemic, and it's slowly built back up, and they're they're going crazy here and there's a lot going around around us.
Speaker 1: There are neighbors.
Speaker 3: If we're facing the camera and our super producer, who's been so clutch all week this week. If we're facing the cameras, to our left is the Insider set with Mike Carefolo and Ian.
Speaker 1: And Judy Steve Wish.
Speaker 3: To our right, the guys from Workaholics are hosting shows.
Speaker 1: Damus Winston Jordan there.
Speaker 3: Cam Jordan, you know, and then behind us there's an entire ecosystem of personalities from Sports and Entertainment.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I mean, this has been cool as hell, Greg.
Speaker 5: It's also been like overwhelming. Like Cam Newton was doing the War Eagle chant, Yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 11: It sounded like thirty people. That was awesome, stilled the whole room.
Speaker 3: That really brought me back because it just he's just he is on all the time and it's awesome.
Speaker 5: And of course we can't do it without any of you listening. This has been a really special and thrilling first week here for NFL Daily on Radio Row. And we just want to thank our our friends at iHeart especially for making this beautiful set.
Speaker 1: And we're not done this.
Speaker 5: They got me a firm and well, we obviously have the super Bowl to go, and we're really excited about what we have in store. We're gonna get on the field and talk to some of the winners right after the game before doing our show. Nick's gonna be part of the recap show as well in Jordan.
Speaker 1: But again.
Speaker 5: Especially thanks to Jason Sean from iHeart, but really everyone that's set up this set, because.
Speaker 1: It's been really great here at Radio Row.
Speaker 5: But we'll get all emotional and sappy about it on Sunday night after the Super Bowl. Thank you all for listening. Let's get out of here. We got to get Jordan in the car. She's enjoying this VIP service this week.
Speaker 7: I get coffee like fed intravenously to me.
Speaker 1: It is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 5: Wit Jordan rod Riagan Sugar getting treated like a list talent.
Speaker 1: You know football is back. Well, see you on Super Bowl Sunday,