Speaker 1: I Am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's do.
Speaker 3: Luke Steiner with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in podcast, one of them productions iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcasts, Season one, episode six of Borri's Birthday Parties, and we are joined find none other than Dacon Matthews, who portrayed Headmaster.
Speaker 4: Charles I Heeart Podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Dacon, Welcome to the show. I'm joined by Tyra sud My in Trepid Crew and we're just going to get.
Speaker 1: Into it here. Tara go ahead and uh synopsizes.
Speaker 4: All right. So this is season one, episode six, Rory's Birthday Parties, which aired November ninth, two thousand. Emily insists that Rory's birthday party take place at their home and then asked Laura I for help in finding a special gift for her granddaughter, but Rory is horrified to discover her grandmother sent party invitations to her classmates. Then, at laurelized party for Rory, Emily realizes she doesn't know either of them.
Speaker 3: Jake and I'm just going to start off with a question right away. What did you think of this episode.
Speaker 2: I was fun watching rewatching it. It was fun rewatching the first first season. I did, I think the second show in the first season I had had auditioned for Ed Herman's part originally Oh show, yeah, which is kind of fun, but of course was primo and it was fun watching it. It was It was a little unsettling also because I had gotten used more to the later rep episodes and of course year in the life when everyone was sort of settled in and easy with it, and everybody was kind of much edgier than I remembered, you know why, that we were still creating characters, not living in them, and right that it was. It was a strange. It was a stranger feeling for me in many ways.
Speaker 3: It is interesting watching these first bunch of episodes because it is that exactly as you described it is. It is people sort of feeling their way through the dialogue and feeling their way to find the rhythm of the show.
Speaker 1: And I think the writers were.
Speaker 3: Doing the same thing too, write Amy and Dan were doing the same thing on this one.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: I think it started coming together pretty well on all levels, because it seemed like a very polished, very complete and deeply felt episode, especially the writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought especially Kelly and Lauren. Really, I mean, Alex just really sort of came into their rown on this episode. They were so identifiable as their character at the same time, they weren't two dimensional. There was something sort of richer than the earlier I went back and watched a couple of other episodes earlier than that, and it was to see even the different the growth and the characters. Oh yeah, five or six weeks.
Speaker 3: No, we start out with the Friday night dinner Lorealize mazed Emily serving putting in Friday night dinner, and sometimes Emily's niceness is completely self serving, and the pudding is used in a metaphor and a lot of this episode, Emily tells Rory look around the house and pick out items for the will.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's it's the.
Speaker 3: Comedy here is is just so ironic and thick that they're talking about this in dulcet tones and discussing the most morbid subject you could possibly want to enter into it at a dinner table to try.
Speaker 2: It's not even faster aggressive. I mean it's.
Speaker 3: With a posts right exactly, and so we're you know, they're making plans for Rory's extravaganza birthday party that is so out of touch with who Rory is.
Speaker 1: And what she needs. Tara, why don't you take the next one?
Speaker 4: The gift shopping, all right, Well, only wants to buy Rory something. And that's when they are picking out the bracelet and she says it looks cheap, but you know, Laura, I says it doesn't matter because it's I mean that Rory would like.
Speaker 3: And here we see writ large that Grandma doesn't know her granddaughter at all all. She's just sort of purchasing items that she would like h and wants to sort of dictate that to her granddaughter.
Speaker 4: And the analogy of a pudding comes up again right in this scene.
Speaker 3: And I think, I think the thing that really stuck out right away in this episode for me, Dacon is it's just how deft a comedic actress Lauren Graham is, and even at the early stages of this show, because she's throwing out zingers and one liners and quippy, funny little words and statements just like you know, by the dozen, and they just keep coming and coming and coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think this this is Amy, you know, and Amy sort of broke onto the scene there with a style that we hadn't seen I don't think since the Screwball comedies of the you know, pre war almost. So it's not like anybody was already had those skills of that sort of snappy stuff. You had to learn how to do that. Unless you were a huge fan of Screwball comedies and watched a lot of Jeene Arthur Girl, you had to learn how to do Amy's stuff because it was not It was not easy.
Speaker 3: It's not easy that that was amazing to watch her, just isn't it really? Just it just it seems so easy for her, and it's so flowing.
Speaker 2: An interesting audition process to find to find. I don't know if she was always what Amy had in mind, or if they auditioned for this role. I don't know the backstory on how Laura ended up with the role, but I mean, Amy was a demanding, demanding writer, and they find the right person for this and.
Speaker 4: They can't imagine anyone else doing it, to be honest, Yeah, really yeah, I can't imagine anyone else.
Speaker 1: You know, I've often wondered, you know, Jenna Jennifer Aniston is.
Speaker 3: Very, very very good. She probably could have done something with this role too.
Speaker 1: I think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, she's a dynamo.
Speaker 1: She's a real dynamo as an actress. So anyway, all right, so.
Speaker 3: We're back at Luke's diner and lucas Laura Lai sarcastically with the intent of keeping her, making her shut up if she will marry him. But it was sarcasting but not really right, So the big moment, Emily hints that Luke and Larela I that Luke the iceman. Emily can tell that by the way Luke looks at her, and what does she say? Looks like he wants you to give him a lap dance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, b for something.
Speaker 3: Look, he looks at you like you're a Porterhouse steak.
Speaker 2: Right, the first time in episode six that that issue was raised.
Speaker 1: Yes, I believe it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, I mean it might be bercolating underneath earlier episodes, but right, but Yeah, says will you bury me? Even though it's to shut her up. That's the first time that really just sort of bursts onto.
Speaker 1: The right I think, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Between that and when Emily calls out that he likes Laura, I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting, subtle, not so subtle.
Speaker 2: But yeah, exactly. I mean, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's the how to plant that, when to plant that, and how they do that. But I mean, really, I thought, you know, I felt the chemistry from the first scene that I shot with her up in Toronto when she gets for coffee, coffee, coffee and I tell her she's an addict. So it was, it was, it was apparent, all right, So morning snuggles and coffee cake at Luke's. Lorela's going into Rory's room at four three am to say happy birthday. And this is a very, very, very significant moment I thought in the growth of this show, because all I thought about during that really sweet little scene with mother and daughter is I bet everybody watching this wishes they had a mother like this, and every mother watching this wish is they had a daughter like this, and if they do, they probably feel pretty good about it. And I just thought, man, no wonder America fell in love with this show so fast, head over heels because of scenes like this. I thought it was a big moment in the episode, and I think a big moment for the fan base bonding with these two characters as deeply as they remain bonded to these characters. So Rory finishes Laurelized birth story, okay, because she was.
Speaker 2: Laurel has heard a number of times. So that's what I find interesting about the scene is they bond over something that obviously would be tedious in any of this, because it always tells her this every year, every year, to get decided by heart.
Speaker 3: And it's great that such a tender, sweet moment between a mother and the daughter. And Rory's reaction is, eh, boy, here we go.
Speaker 2: So's it's real and its ritual at the same time, which is right and interesting.
Speaker 1: That's great. So she goes into Luke's.
Speaker 3: Uh, Rory and Lanner and Lukes and uh, you know, grumpy Luke says, uh, you know, I blew up balloons off the table there.
Speaker 1: And get the back over there.
Speaker 3: I'll pull it all down. And he doesn't want the love, I guess.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Roy thinks she is getting old, and Dean comes in picks something up in Mouth's happy birthday to Rory as he leaves the diner.
Speaker 1: Uh, go ahead and take this twer. This is now Emily's party. This was a big.
Speaker 4: Deal, yeah, big yeah. So this is when we find out that Emily sent the invitation to everyone in Roy's class and basically how controlling she is this party, and Tristan is one is the one who showed Rory the invitation and that's how she found out everyone was invited, and everyone making decisions on what they want for Rory's birthday besides Rory, which obviously frustrates Rory when she is asked to make a speech in front of people that she does not know. And then we kind of hear about uh Christopher for a moment for the first time I think in the series that he lives in California and he visits.
Speaker 3: Rory that obnoxious well woman being so inappropriately.
Speaker 4: Mitzi, yeah, funny.
Speaker 3: And Laurai gets out of adverse things. I'm like, well, I see someone else someone else, so tell you later.
Speaker 4: And then we have obviously the sweet moment with Richard who gives Rory a card for fez.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, what is that? What that is?
Speaker 1: What is fez as is a location? Right?
Speaker 4: It's yeah, she wanted to visit, so he would give her money for the trip, and then we see it again at her house and he's given it to her in the past. And then there's that moment with Tristan, that Richard approved of Tristan and Rory wants nothing to do with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought what was the most interesting about just that transition from the cafe to the party is that she's got this invitation and she sees it and it couldn't be more humiliating a teenager girl like that. What we find out later in the episode, she does not tell her mother about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doesn't.
Speaker 2: She senses a thawing of the relationship the pudding basically, which is the metaphor of the thawing of the relationship between the mother and daughter, and she doesn't want to do anything that stops that. And I thought that was a very subtle character thing to to lay on to Rory at that particular moment, that her concern learn for her mother's relationship with her grandmother, which was I thought, you know, as much as the as much as the mother and daughter are fighting over over that, the grandmother and the mother are fighting over that relationship, the daughter, the granddaughter is trying to trying to heal.
Speaker 3: It rightly, writing right, it's like who's raising who here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: It really there almost seems to be no boundaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't really blame Rory for having her breaking point wanting when she doesn't want to make a speech, because she'd been holding that in she didn't want to be at the party, But in that moment she kind of snapped on Emily because she doesn't know anyone in that room, and the people who she knows she doesn't like.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you got to give Emily the benefit of down. Yeah, she's a tough one though, but I was sort.
Speaker 2: Of astonished at how clueless she is. But that's the point of the episode at the right, because I really do not know. Right you think the episode is about she doesn't know her granddaughter very well, that's what the shopping is about. But the episode is about she doesn't know her.
Speaker 1: Daughter right right?
Speaker 3: There are there are tragic elements, you know, sprinkled in that make you very moving stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Emily. Uh So, now we're at the college fair.
Speaker 3: And this is a scene where we see Rory walking up to the Harvard table because it's college day and getting a pamphlet, and Paris happens to be there at the same time, and they realize, oh god, you're going you want to go to Harvard too?
Speaker 1: But then it turns into a discussion about uh, Tristan and do you like him? And Rory's answer is not even a little bit.
Speaker 3: And that's the first time we see, you know, the iceberg that is Paris melting a little bit and becoming a little bit vulnerable with Rory. Yeah, so we see that maybe perhaps there is some hope.
Speaker 1: Here for a budding friendship. Not a lot right now, but she's been pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Was the first time they said me, there's room for both of them at Harvard.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, So the beginning of something, you know, your antagonist turns into your protagonists. But it's going to be a while, all right, Tara take this party for Rory, which was just an incredibly satisfying scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was a fun one. So obviously at the end of the party at Emily's house, Rory invites her grandparents to her party at lore Lies and you really see all of stars hollow in this, all the characters, the people who've been around Rory since she was a little kid. I thought it was funny when they reading the doorbell and Laura is like, just get in here. Whatever she said about you, yeah, get.
Speaker 3: Your asses in here, And then she saw too, and then asses.
Speaker 4: There we go, and that's when we find out that Emily and Richard have never been to Laura I's house, which I thought was interesting. And we see, you know, Emily loves Suki's cooking, and then we Emily is listening to the stories about Rory that Miss Patty's talking about Richard's outside reading magazine that Rory gives him, and then that this is the moment Cosmo yes, which I'm not sure if you know, but the famous line from this episode, uh is I am an autumn from Richard and uh yeah. Then this is where we see Luke bring the ice and and then Emily wanders into Lorelei's room and I think that's when she really realizes she doesn't know her daughter in the town she lives in.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know, we know the relationship from from with with with God is warming up and he walks into two bags of ice, So this sort of counter imagery to what we know what's actually going on.
Speaker 3: Which so it's so hot between them and the ice to cool it off. Yeah, first time Emily sees Luke, first time they meet.
Speaker 1: Uh, first time we see Laurel eye.
Speaker 3: Be physical with Luke right, give she gave him a big hugs the first time we've seen that.
Speaker 2: So every up to now, everything between them has been hot coffee.
Speaker 4: Right, Maybe it don't.
Speaker 3: And you know that that's one of those things that a man can misinterpret that that happiness as oh game on here and so teasing the audience a little bit here about what.
Speaker 1: Is to come.
Speaker 3: But I just look, I just thought that that Roy's birthday party was everything you need to know about the show, what it's about at its core, community, all of these you know, great people, eccentric characters. Miss Patty hitting on Richard was hysterical. She's so bold, but just a love surrounding that.
Speaker 2: Particularly, I really liked the fact that Emily loved Suki's cooking. Yeah some reason. That sort of was like a window opening saying there may be some relationship possible between the two worlds.
Speaker 3: And that Emily's Emily's not a complete monster. There's a human being there that appreciates fine cooking.
Speaker 2: She doesn't.
Speaker 1: It comes from you're very talented.
Speaker 3: But then of course she steps in and has to take over and says, I'll make you very rich.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I discovered you exactly.
Speaker 3: She owns her now, yes, but I really enjoyed that scene, very very pleasant scene.
Speaker 4: And the scene at the scene when the Emily and Richard leaving, that was a little heartbreaking to see Emily in the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I imagine feeling that way. You know, your whole life flashing before you and you you haven't you know, for the past sixteen years, you haven't really had a relationship with your daughter. That's powerful. I mean that sense of loss and oh boy, And she did it with a couple of lo you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, and it was one of them because it was just a moment right then she remember right back, but she had that that moment and then gathers up.
Speaker 3: And watching two masters filling moments and not overdoing it and Richard acknowledging and then Okay, let's just drive away and that's all it needs.
Speaker 1: It's just mm hmm uh. And then.
Speaker 3: We have another one of these moments where Lorelei realizes that her little girl's growing up and she's going to leave home, and that's a tough one. Dean giving Rory a handmaid was a necklace or atlet, bracelet, bracelet?
Speaker 2: What was the dangle on the bracelet? What was that? Was it a coin.
Speaker 4: I think it was a coin, yeah, something that he said, he he he made the leather string, but he took the coin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think that again. And I mean, Amy's so clever in his way. But here's Emily throwing vast amounts of money at Glorie, money will buy her and then she gets just a coin from which is kind.
Speaker 4: Of I never thought of it that way.
Speaker 2: You know, she's a clever, clever writer.
Speaker 1: It is clever, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Emily saving up all her energy and love for her granddaughter that she didn't get to shower her own daughter with.
Speaker 1: H And you know, you still have.
Speaker 3: To feel for her a little bit, yep, still have to feel these are these are human beings going through life and having real issues, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's just so dark entertaining to watch.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a really powerful drama underneath all of this, all this great dialogue and pop culture references and all this humor, you know, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just you look at it from the other side of you. If you're if you're a parent and you have an extremely rebellious child, that's a heartbreak you just you can't do, not reach across the gulf at all, you know, and it becomes mutually recriminatory between the two of them.
Speaker 3: Can tell us what it was like working those scenes with Scott Cohen and Lauren and uh, you did some marvelous work on this show, extremely popular character with the fans. Tell us, tell us about how it all started.
Speaker 2: As I look back, you know, I didn't realize it at the time, but as I look back, I think I never got the stars Hollow. I was never part of the never part of the part of the fun people. You know, it's always I was always an outsider. And there was a kind of a uh, you know, a charm about Star's Hollow and nobody. Nobody actually thinks, Oh, I really wish I could be a chiltern everybody. I remember I was. I was living in Long Island doing a play, I think, and I was at I lived close to the train stage, and so I said, I used to take the train in and out. And I was standing at the at the L I R R ticket dispenser machine, and this woman and her daughter started coming over to me, and she said, excuse me, can I can I bother you for a moment, and I thought she wanted to figure out how to use the machine and I said, yeah, sure, of course you head Master Charleston, and I said, well, I was, yes, I was. He says, oh god, you live here in Malverne and I said what I do? Yes, Now, they said, it's our own little stars hollow, isn't it. This mother and daughter were trying to emulate the relationship that was existing between the two characters, but also the whole feeling of the small town environment. And I thought that that town really became iconic for a lot of people, whereas Chiltern became iconic for something else, something a little colder, a little bit more, you know, harder, and stuff like that. But it was fun because I remember when I first started again, as I said, you had to learn how to how to talk amy, And I think the very first thing the director said to me, I mean my first episode was Dacon, don't take any pauses in your speech because if you take a pause, we're going to cut it away from you.
Speaker 4: Let's keep going, keep going, and.
Speaker 2: Be word perfect. So you were always slightly on edge and panicky that you had to get through your speeches so fast. But you know, it was not a difficult role for me to play. I have actually was an educator. I was a college professor for twenty five years, right, and I still teach somewhat. So it was not very difficult, but it was. It was fun interacting being the other world from stars Hollow, being the world that that Rory had to navigate where where it wasn't easy when the navigation wasn't easy. And it was also fun because I had some a very good friend who was also part of the part of the Chielton I think, which was Emily Bergel. It was a very good friend of mine and we worked together in theater for for many years together. So it was fun. That was not nice.
Speaker 3: Do you remember episodes? Uh directed by Amy? Were you directed by Amy?
Speaker 2: I think at least one, I think, yeah, I don't remember, right.
Speaker 1: Was it did?
Speaker 3: Was that a different experience from the other directors?
Speaker 2: Pretty much pretty much doing what anyone. I'm working with them again right now as a matter of fact, on their new.
Speaker 1: Series, Oh the Palladinos. Yeah yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ballet series.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just got.
Speaker 1: What's your character? Where were were you in Paris?
Speaker 2: I was in Paris for one day, I mean, and I shot a day in Manhattan as well. It's it's a story of two ballet companies, one in Paris and one in Manhattan that exchanged personnel because they're having problems attracting, you know, audiences and stuff. And I play And it's actually a bilingual series, tolf of it is in French. It's quite that right, And I play the chairman of the board of a major New York performing arts company. I'm the chairman of the board of the ballet company, not an no. And and it's and it's and Luke who played you know who was in the in the is playing the lead. He's the artistic director of the ballet. Okay, the manager, district manager.
Speaker 1: So it's great, yeah, really anticipating that serious.
Speaker 2: And Daniel was directing both of the episodes that I was in.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Well, I have a question. You've had some pretty fun scenes over the series. Is there anyone that stands out to you as one of your favorite moments as head Master Charleston.
Speaker 2: You know, I really enjoyed my last one in Year in the Life. I really enjoyed that because, you know, I got to work again with with with Lisa and Alexis. But it was a completely different feeling. He was a different kind of you know, now that they were graduates and more or less successful or still you know, not quite successful as they wanted to be, he was able to show a sort of a difference. I mean he actually offered Rory a job. Yeah, he actually sympathized with her, you know, as opposed to being the other thing. So I loved that. I love that seat, you know, a lot with the with the two of them in that room. That was probably the favorite thing that I've done in the whole in the whole one. The other one, I guess is when confronting them, when what do they do? They they raided my office and did something I forget. Well, yeah, yeah, there was a was a.
Speaker 4: In the middle of the night, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that idea of a school administrator having to punish kids, But every school administrator knows that the kids are going to do this all the time. It's like it's almost like a ritual you go through. Rather than being really angry, you have to pre not you don't pretend to be you are angry, but you realize this is what kids do. You can't stop. That was That was a fun scene as well.
Speaker 1: Well, what subject were you teaching for elst year?
Speaker 2: Uh? English was an English professor and then drama.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, where where where were you teaching?
Speaker 2: I taught at cal State at cal State University, it used to be called Hayward Hayward Calson East by now and then I taught at Juilliard for three years. Oh did you really Yeah, very early years at Juilliard.
Speaker 1: Did you Did you have any students that went on too greatness? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well yes, uh, Patty lepone n. I was very close with Group one. In fact, I was. I got my job at Judiard because my wife was one of the students in Group one. And I went back and I knew John and bade him for a job because I was going to go back to graduate school as well at NYU. So he hired me to do some part time work there. And then about in the third year, their third year, they added Kevin Klein and David Steyers to the class, and by John Negro and Housman decided I want to form a company of these people, but they were one character man short. So for my third year at Juilliard teaching, he sort of said, we're going to cut back on your teaching, keep doing the administering, and I want you to join that group and form the company with them. So that that first year class, which was quite phenomenal, and I the Ringer, the sixteen of them and me the seventeenth. The Ringer formed the acting company in the early years.
Speaker 3: And that Housman's baby from day one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so he he gleaned this idea borrowing from what the group theater, from from what well he had.
Speaker 2: The Murky had the Mercury Theater, and he knew the Group theater people, and he tried to He actually was one of the people behind the finding of the Center Theater group in Los Angeles as well, when he was in when he was in when he was in at USC. But I think what happened was and this happened in dramas. I don't know if you went to drama school or not, Scott, did you.
Speaker 1: I was in New York. Yeah, I studied with Bobby Lewis. I was the interest too well.
Speaker 2: In conservatories. What happened is classes developed personalities. You know, they used to call them groups. I still call them groups, said Julia Lip, like group fifty two or fifty three, I think now but you have group one, Group two, Group three, Group four, and we in the fact that he always always noticed that each group had its own personality, its own thing, and some of them would be really good and some of them would just never meld well. Group one had a particularly good group of artists and young artists in it, but also a certain dynamic, and Houseman looked at it and said, I don't want to break these people up, and he kept much of that group together for four or five years. I didn't my wife and I didn't stay with it past the first year because we were coming back to California to start a family. Was just and also he believed, and it turns out not to be true, that the conservatories were going to be feeding the regional repertory theaters across the country. His idea and everybody's thought at the time, was that there would be these hundreds of regional repertory theaters doing classical plays all over the country, and they would need a steady stream of very talented young people to fill them. So they would be so and he'd give them a repertory company experience so they could go out and populate the theaters across the country. Turns out that wasn't what happened in American theater. There are only a couple of regional repertory companies left. But he wanted to have He wanted the kids to have that great company repertory experience, you know.
Speaker 3: And did Juilliards start out with an eye on the classics? Yes, Steepton Shakespeare and very much.
Speaker 2: So, and in the European tradition really because John was a co founder with Michelle san Deni, who was one of the great classical theater trainers from from Frands and Canada. Yeah, that was the other thought that the regional theaters would be doing a mix of classics and contemporary plays, but always a lot of classics. And that turns out to be true.
Speaker 1: Right, And it is still thriving today.
Speaker 2: And the Acting Company I'm now on the board of the Acting Company as as a board member. It's fifty two years old. And yes, they're sending out a national tour of a Shakespeare play and and two trends running you know, wow, And they're going to play about maybe twenty venues across the country. So the Acting Company is still so it's always on the edge, I mean, as all theater companies these are nowadays, they're on the edge of financial disaster all the time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I always thought that, you know, at the beginning of COVID, and once COVID, COVID combined with what's happening in the film and TV business, Yeah, you know, the shrinking of this business.
Speaker 3: The money seems to be disappearing for everybody. As streaming kind of snuffs out the fires, uh the economic fires as it as it was that live theater would thrive again because people were seeking you know, live entertainment that they were they were not getting the choices coming out out of Hollywood because of all the tent poles that were being made, because there was no money available to make anything really uh nuanced, and you know these these sort of independent stories or or even mainstream stories. They weren't doing anything but superhero stuff because it's the only thing they could pay the bills with. And I thought it would affect live theater and I hope it still does.
Speaker 1: I hope. I I imagine that live theater.
Speaker 3: Becomes so popular that I have to start building new venues to house all the demand.
Speaker 2: We would think that, but a pandemic put up an I mean so many theaters had to close. My own theater, you know that, I ran for a number of years, the Shakespeare Festival in California one and now it's closing today after fifty years. Last week and I was so many theaters closed that you just can't build them back up from bootstrap, you know, you can't very hard to start them again. I think what may help is AI. Interestingly enough, at a certain point, people will realize the only place you'll be sure it isn't AI is on the stage, correct that you know, that's the only place you could be pretty sure you're actually watching real people. Because they can now make avatars of us. We have to actually legally get into the court rooms and stop them right our faces and voices.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's a copyright issue for everybody. Yeah, especially in entertainment fields. God, I hope so, because really, there is nothing more vital than lives eater when it's done well, there just isn't.
Speaker 2: You can't about twenty years of a lot of work on stage and scream I'm pretty much back in live theater full time.
Speaker 1: Now, Oh what are you doing right now?
Speaker 2: You finished a really ten year, really good period of time about nine Broadway shows in a row. Wow, which was exhilarating and great and fun.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And now I'm kind of relatively unemployed because I'm a little too old for nobody writes plays for eighty four year old men and white man anymore. We're a napa.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, Well, listen, it's been a pleasure catching up with you, and your insights are are much appreciated.
Speaker 2: Is this great?
Speaker 1: Any any closing thoughts?
Speaker 2: It's a takin Well, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to do a little commercial. I have a I have a script that I've prepared, a Shakespeare script that I've paired, combining the parts of Henry four, Part one and two into a single play, which has been done about twenty times across the country, including a big Broadway production. But it's going to be mounted again in New York at Theater for a new audience this coming January and February. Okay, it's really good, it's a great it's a big it's actually what life there is a big fun project with fifteen or sixteen actors on stage doing a monumental work that really means something also for our time. So it's that's my commercial.
Speaker 1: Is that Is that a Juilliard Project.
Speaker 2: No, that's a theater for a new audience.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the Companys.
Speaker 2: Theater over in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, great.
Speaker 2: So that play did actually have its premiere at Juilliard among a student body without my knowing it. I had shared the script with the director at Juilliard, and then I went back to California and he just go ahead and directed it with his students.
Speaker 3: Have you have you ever played any roles in Hamlet on stage?
Speaker 2: I've done Polonius two or three times, okay, and the Ghost and the grave Digger. Oh my first player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Polonius, juicy role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, did opposite Hamish oh, okay one and then Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Keep up the good work, and thank you for your contributions to live theater. It's it's so important too for people to have access to quality theater, to keep the arts alive. And if I'm in New York, I'm gonna I'm gonna come see that play. It should be so thank you so much, Dake and Matthews, everybody, and hopefully we'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, take care, everybody, don't
Speaker 3: Again follow us on Instagram at I am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.