Speaker 1: Hey, listeners, Jessica here. Be sure to check out new episodes of Undetermined every Tuesday for free wherever you get your podcasts. For early and ad free listening, check out Tenderfoot Plus on Apple Podcasts. The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are solely those of the individuals interviewed and participating in the show, and do not represent those of Tenderfoot TV and Resonate recordings. All individuals described or mentioned in the podcast should be considered innocent until found guilty in a court of law. This podcast contains subject matter such as violence and graphic descriptions, which may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: First of all, let me just say to the family of Jessica, I want to thank them for being at this place, at this site.
Speaker 3: I know it is not easy.
Speaker 2: I know every time they come anywhere close to this area they are reliving the worst moment of their lives. As many of you probably do know, two years ago, we unfortunately lost Jessica after going missing. Jessica's sisters found her deceased just steps away from where we're standing right now, And since that day, this family has had absolutely no closure in this case.
Speaker 3: They've gotten no answers in this case.
Speaker 1: This is from a press conference I attended that on August eighth, twenty twenty one. The man speaking is New Orleans District Attorney Jason Williams. The woman he just mentioned is Jessica Easterly Darning, the person at the center of this story. Jessica wasn't a New Orleans native, but it's where she spent a good chunk of her life, right here in the neighborhood of Lakeview, where this press conference was held. By appearance alone, nothing bad could ever happen in this charming Maybury esque setting. But on August twenty second, twenty nineteen, this is where Jessica was found, just a stone's throw from her own home. And who made that gruesome discovery not trained investigators nor innocent bystanders, but her own family.
Speaker 2: Of today's press conference on these railroad tracks, however, is to make a very clear and a very direct.
Speaker 3: Public appeal to this community.
Speaker 2: We need you to speak up, because in order to solve cold cases and unsolved murders, all of.
Speaker 3: The law enforcement community needs your help.
Speaker 2: This city, the five thousand plus unsolved cases, needs your help.
Speaker 3: This family needs your help. I need your help, and.
Speaker 2: I want to say to this family, just like I said to Jessica's mother, this is important for the folks behind me, but this is important to every single family that has lost a loved one and has not had the closure of having that case solved. You have our thoughts and prayers, and you know that, but this family needs more than that. This family needs us to work and work together. This family needs just to be a team. This family needs closure and deserves justice.
Speaker 1: Some people in this neighborhood didn't even know this case existed, didn't even know that Jessica went missing or that she was found dad. So it all comes back to did the police do the footwork to ask people around here, hey, did you see anything you know? Did you see this girl? And if they did, how hard did they canvas. My name is also Jessica, Jessica Nole. I'm an investigative journalist and I've been covering this story for some time now, but I didn't go it alone. With me is my partner and good friend, Todd Macomas, a retired detective who brings his own set of skills, ones that can hopefully help make a difference in this case, a case that sits in limbo with the New Orleans Police Department growing colder with each passing day.
Speaker 4: If I'm one of the detectives called out here, I'm immediately gonna just say out loud, what a weird place to dump a body?
Speaker 5: What a weird place to find a body?
Speaker 4: Just because I literally can go forty yards over here, and I have a tree line that's very still overgrown that I could tuck anything in there and no one probably find it for a.
Speaker 5: Very long time. So it's just weird to me. I know. The location of where she was found is just it's troublesome. It's troublesome unless it was by design.
Speaker 1: When we first visited the site where Jessica was found, admittedly we knew very little about her story, our questions were simple and straightforward. How about what you would expect given the circumstances.
Speaker 5: I just keep going back to, what are the odds?
Speaker 4: What do you? What are you doing back here? Why is your life in? Why does your walk in if no one brought you here? Why this spot? Why this side of this neighborhood?
Speaker 1: And that's the undetermined question. Jessica's case it's not just a question of who's responsible for her death. It's also a question of how she died, questions that emerged when the corner listed both her cause and manner of death as undetermined, a catch all when there's insufficient evidence to say it's homicide, suicide, accidental, or natural. The word undetermined has loomed over this case, sparking outrage and Jessica's loved ones leaving. Investigators don't that's why we are here searching for answers. Answers about Jessica's life.
Speaker 6: But I think it's part of what held her in place after she was ready to leave, is she had this dirty secret.
Speaker 1: I just wish I would have known then better before we really got involved with their lives and about her death.
Speaker 7: Her C four vertebrae as well as her grip was broken, and there's a post motive.
Speaker 5: I might have some information that y'all would find helpful.
Speaker 1: From resonate recordings and Tenderfoot TV. I'm your host, Jessica Nole. This is undetermined. From time to time, Jessica's family travels from Mississippi to the New Orleans neighborhood of Lakeview, where Jessica lived and where she died, or at least where her body was found. With a freshly printed stack of flyers, they move from street signs to telephone poles, hanging them one at a time in Jessica's name, making sure that people here don't forget about her. The flyers read what Happened to Jessica Easterly. Jessica's family has always been of the belief that someone in this neighborhood has information that could help solve her mysterious death. Since day one, the family has done everything in their power to keep this case alive. They're a dedicated group, and it's their dead vction that brought me to Biloxi, Mississippi, where Jessica was born and where our story begins. Fifteen. To understand more about Jessica and her life, I started with those who knew her best, Jessica's sisters, Amanda and Audrey.
Speaker 8: I'm Amanda Barnes, I am Jessica's little sister.
Speaker 1: I'm Audrey, and I'm Jessica's older sister.
Speaker 8: Audrey and I are half sisters. Our father married Jessica's mother. Jessica's our stepsister.
Speaker 1: But in our family, if we don't say half sisters. That's not our thing, Mamma day.
Speaker 8: I got married in April of eighty nine, just before I turned ten. They were only together for about a year before they got married.
Speaker 1: So we'll just say I was sixteen, so that would have made Jessica eleven or twelve at the time. A photo of the three sisters together depicts this day of celebration. They're all smiles and we're matching formal lace dresses with poofy sleeves. While becoming a blended family is etched into their memories the first time the sisters met. He is a little bit hazy, But one thing Audrey also known as Audre, does recall is Jessica couldn't take her eyes off her I used.
Speaker 7: To wear black lipstick, holy jeans, and my hair stick up away high.
Speaker 1: All she ever did was stare at me.
Speaker 7: I think she might have said hi, but she just stared, like, oh God, what is that?
Speaker 1: Growing up, Audrey was admittedly a rare sighting at the house. I didn't really stay home. I was always out and about I was a teenager, I was gone. I just want to get the hell off the house and go be with my friends. Amanda and Jessica were only a couple years apart and had a closer relationship at the time.
Speaker 8: She was my older sister in high school whenever I was just getting into high school. Didn't have a lot of the same friends because of the age difference. But if she had someone over, I was welcome to go hang out with them. You know, as you get older and you're not that pesky little sister anymore. And said, you're someone that she could show me how to do my makeup, because God knows that I had no idea how to do any of that, you know, getting dressed for like homecoming or something. She would help pick out that type of stuff. She was a typical older sister.
Speaker 1: Eventually they meshed as blended families often do, but it was deeper than that.
Speaker 5: It was love.
Speaker 1: There was love there, like you could tell you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: I mean, no family is perfect. I'm not trying to say that we're the white picket fence to story house kind of people, but it was pretty typical childhood.
Speaker 1: After graduation, Jessica started her journey into adulthood. In the summer of nineteen ninety four, she left home to attend the university of South Alabama for speech pathology and audiology, and that's when Maria, her friend of twenty five years, came into the picture.
Speaker 6: My name is Maria Kreole, and I was Jessica's best friend. We met when Jessica was in college. She was dating the boy that lived across the street from me, whose younger sister I was best friends with at the time. You couldn't not hit it off with Jessica. She was just such a quick wit, like she always had something funny to say, like just off the cuff, like quick, quick, quick, like if you had something to say, she had a funny response, and you couldn't just not enjoy being around her. She was four or five years older than me, so maybe not so much in common, but maybe I was just like the annoying little kid. Well we first met, you know, she was in college and it was like fifteen or sixteen, so she tolerated me, and she was like the cool, you know, college chick that I was just like, you know, I just wanted to be like her.
Speaker 8: She's funny.
Speaker 6: She could just be so polished, just like in an instant, like pretty updoo and pearls, just so quick. She could turn around on Audrey Hepburn looks so fast. She was always down for like a little adventure. She was quick to, you know, grab a bottle of Frensia or a box. That was a running joke. Hey, I got a box of wine with your name on it.
Speaker 1: Jessica was already in college and living with her boyfriend when she took in the then rebellious teenager low as Jessica lovingly nicknamed her. Maria lived with Jessica for about six months before making a college cheer squad and moving into the dorms. After a year and a half in Alabama, Jessica, now twenty three years old and single, moved back to Mississippi. She began working at the nearby casinos as a server, bringing her and her younger sister Amanda closer together, and shortly after the two sisters moved in together in New Orleans. Jessica found work on casino boats along the coast and did well with her outgoing personality, and it wasn't long before she locked eyes with a man named Justin Derning. At the time they met, Justin was married to Jessica's friend Lauren.
Speaker 8: She was talking about Justin and her friend about them having problems whenever I was still living with her. Part of our problem with piecing together Jessica's timeline about exactly when and how Justin and her were together. She kept a lot of things secret for a very long time. She painted things in positive ways that as we learn things from her, either we thought this doesn't sound like it quite adds up all the way over to oh, this is bullshit.
Speaker 1: Her sister says. Something in Jessica changed after she met Justin, But what that was they couldn't quite put their finger on. One thing was for sure. They had some pretty serious reservations about Jessica being with Justin from the beginning.
Speaker 8: The beginning of their relationship was shrouded in mystery for a long time, and a lot of things we did not know the truth of until after she died. Whenever I first met him, shook his hand, he seemed okay. Within about thirty minutes of us sitting in there is when I started getting the this isn't right. There's something. I don't know what it is, but my hackles are up.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, but you know what they say, love is blind and had found her prince charming. She was ready to settle down. She wanted a family. On July fifteenth, twenty eleven, Jessica announced on Facebook that she and Justin had moved in together. She joined the home he shared with his elderly father, Justin Senior, and teenage daughter Grace. Jessica posted a photo of the two of them with the caption it was love at first sight. We met on a boat and have been together ever since.
Speaker 8: I think that Jessica hit a point in her life where.
Speaker 1: She wanted to believe in love.
Speaker 6: Does she feend love Love conquers all and everyone's yay?
Speaker 8: And she'd be the stay at home mom bringing her kids up and the husband high honey, how was your day?
Speaker 1: The beaver cleaver type thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what she wanted in life.
Speaker 1: On February twenty fifth, twenty fifteen, at sunset, Justin and Jessica tied the knot at the hard Rock Cafe Hotel and Casino in her hometown of Biloxi, wearing a halter top white satin dress adorned with a silver jewel embellishment. It was the day Jessica had dreamed of, the day she became a wife and a stepmom, Jessica's friend since childhood. Erica Badard Russell, was one of the few invited to the intimate nuptials and described the tone of that day.
Speaker 7: It was very small, not plan. The only thing plan is. They rented a room. It wasn't even like a ballroom or anything. It was like a suite with a little living room and a kitchen. She wasn't even ready for it. They had a preacher. I helped her make her bouquet when I got to the room before the ceremony even started. I believe that was her only friend there. It was a weird day. How they got married on the little balcony and then that was it. I don't even remember an official ceremony. I don't remember a wedding cake. It may have been, but I don't remember it. I just remember feeling uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Erica remembers that Justin seemed nervous and didn't seem to share the same enthusiasm as Jessica, which makes sense. For Jessica it was her first marriage. Justin, on the other hand, had been married twice before, but all that was easily overshadowed by Jessica's sheer joy.
Speaker 7: She was giddy she was absolutely giddy. Her mom was quiet. She was like, I can't believe I'm going to marry the love of my life. I'm so lucky.
Speaker 1: And just like that, Jessica had her own little family. In the days following the wedding, Erica got to know Justin a little better.
Speaker 7: It was just I mean, the way he acted, the way he tried to control everything, the way he would talk down about her family to make her hate them more. I feel like he was the reason why her mother became a little bit different. I mean, he would tell her things that would make her so angry. A lot of times he would answer her phone and start talking. I'm like, well, where's Jessica. Well, she just ran out to go get Gracie. She ran out to do this. She ran out to do that. Okay, I don't know why he had her phone. He wouldn't necessarily call me. We would end up talking because I would be calling for Jessica or I would be talking to Justine. He takes the phone.
Speaker 1: Towards the end. This is how Erica remembers many of their calls going. It made her miss the way it used to be.
Speaker 7: I loved our little talks. She always would tell me love me. She'd just say love you, my Erica. I would tell her love you to my chest.
Speaker 6: I wish I could go back.
Speaker 7: I wish I wish I could relive one of those moments, I mean, some of the good times again.
Speaker 1: And as the years passed, friends and family felt more and more distant from Jessica. Their concerns about her mounted, and it would all come to a head in August of twenty nineteen. From here everything would start to unravel.
Speaker 6: She contacted me on the twelfth, The thirteenth came and went without contact. So then on the fourteenth she didn't call me, and I didn't hear from her. My phone dinged it's justin but it's from Jessica's account, and he's saying he doesn't know where she is. And like, my whole body just went cold. I don't know how to describe it other than that, but I just felt a chill all over. And so I texted him back and I was like, okay, well, what about her phone like and he was like, nope, phone, ID everything, it's here with me. I was like, okay, well I'm calling the police. He was like, well, uh, you're just gonna freak grace out as like you just said. She was already worried, Like what is there to freak out about? What do you mean her mom is missing? She's already freaked out. And I said, if Jonathan came home and my cell phone, ID vehicle was here and I was missing, and the kids were here by themselves, he would already be talking to the police, Like right now, I'd be standing in the yard talk to the police, Like I shouldn't have to send them to your house. So I called the police, and the dispatcher that answered I was trying to explain to her. I was like, look, I need y'all to go over there and figure out what's going on. And then I got like a message from him came down, and I was like, he just told me that he called y'all, but I'm on the phone with you. He just said he called y'awn and you said you had he had to wait to file a missing person. I was like, but I'm not saying file a missing person. She was like, oh, hang on, because we wouldn't tell him that. She suddenly was hearing me loud and clear, and so she was like, Okay, we're on the way.
Speaker 1: It's Wednesday, August fourteenth, twenty nineteen, just after ten pm. Two officers pull up to the Derneys home. This is audio from the ENERPD body cam footage we obtained from Jessica's family. As the officer approaches the one story brick house, he shines a flashlight ahead of him to light his way. He cautiously approaches and illuminates the front storm door, but an interior door blocks any view inside. Shifting to the left, he sheds light onto the brick, revealing the address placard, verifying he's in the right place. But before he can knock or ring a doorbell, a man walks over from the side of the house to greet the officers, along with his leashed German shepherd.
Speaker 9: Oh did you live here? We're told? Is no one ill here? Someone sick here? He'll we got a call though, Yeah, I know my.
Speaker 1: Wife, Justin's dog is inconsolable the moment he sets eyes on them.
Speaker 10: Let him just say hi. So he's not far to these you guys.
Speaker 11: You go see how over?
Speaker 10: Okay, So all right, we're just exciting.
Speaker 11: Hey baby, Yeah, he's rambling.
Speaker 10: He's going through a bunch of training right now. Yeah, basically service anyway.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, yes, So what's going on with my wife?
Speaker 12: About twelve o'clock I came home and we sat and talked and I lay down to good nap.
Speaker 10: And the car's here, her wallet's here, everything's here. And I'm not trying to freak my daughter out because.
Speaker 12: She's fifteen, just started anyway, I'm freaking because this is not indicative of my wife. So I called everybody I know, and I know I know called for the well check a friend of hers in Alabama.
Speaker 10: And I mean, you guys are well, come in if you want to take a look.
Speaker 11: At Sure you called? No, they call because she's what are missy? I'm sure your wife she's gone, her car's going.
Speaker 10: Now, cars here, a wall, it's here. How long ago?
Speaker 11: How long she's been going?
Speaker 10: Like twelve thirty, twelve, fifteen, day thirty. I fell asleep, So I don't today. Yes.
Speaker 1: Initially, Justin describes a situation as unusual, not indicative of his wife, but as their conversation continues, he starts to switch gears a bit.
Speaker 12: She's depressed, bipolar, but she saw meds and stuff and it's it's normal.
Speaker 10: I mean, she she handles it. She's five five six five seven, one hundred and fifteen pounds, dark brown hair, preddy. Her birthday Saturday.
Speaker 11: She's taking medics.
Speaker 10: Yeah, she's on medicine.
Speaker 12: But I mean it's not even it's not like I mean, we've been through the ring with the sex stuff with her, and she's a psychologist by trade, so not to show.
Speaker 11: Yeah, she says she left before like this is the length of time.
Speaker 10: Never, never, and that's what's got me concerned.
Speaker 11: But I mean since twelve thirty dight.
Speaker 9: She just apparently warned it off and we're just now getting a call.
Speaker 12: I mean, well, no, what happened was is I woke up about four oh, I came home from school.
Speaker 10: I woke up round.
Speaker 9: Okay, piece was made and a piece of was made, okay, and she's gone right.
Speaker 12: And the car is here, the keys are here versus here, so you know, and she doesn't go wandering off.
Speaker 10: She's not from here. She's lived here seven years, six six years, so you.
Speaker 12: Know, I was kind of giving it and you know, another hour or two yeah, before I called you guys, because let's.
Speaker 11: See if she wondered back. I mean, she's never done that anymore.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, no, and that's that's my concern. And you know, we've we've been a little bit.
Speaker 12: This has been real resposed out for a couple of reasons because like a fifteen year old since uh and she got overwhelmed right before going to high school for the first time.
Speaker 9: Man, okay, well you you you checked off some good places that that you need to check, the hospitals in the jail.
Speaker 11: I would never put anything like it in the.
Speaker 9: Jail, you know, but at this point, I think of could people were required?
Speaker 10: Of course they told me twenty four hours.
Speaker 9: Now, well the circumstances though, twenty four hours another coming to play. She just she disappeared. I mean, right, you could have done this for four dollars ago. I mean it's it's suspicious due to her medication and all that other stuff.
Speaker 10: I would think she's been she's made complain I mean I checked it.
Speaker 9: Right, right, Well, there's reason for alarm, yeah it is. But you you you know made those checks. That that's good. That's that's pretty fanty.
Speaker 10: What else to do?
Speaker 12: I mean I left the phone best because I started to do GPS, you know, to see if I can find out the tablet, the phone, the first everything she.
Speaker 10: Made a pizza.
Speaker 11: Oh, she left phone, everything, the nothing to trace her.
Speaker 12: Well, what happened was my phone blew off my motorcycle.
Speaker 10: Yeah that was great.
Speaker 12: Fifteen hourd bucks fly off the handle bars for my fault anyway.
Speaker 10: So we're kind of sharing a phone, but usually if she.
Speaker 12: Goes somewhere, she'll take the phone because I had the iPad at home.
Speaker 1: As officers are wrapping up their wellness check, the conversation turns a little more casual.
Speaker 9: The thing is, if she wondered about in Lakeview, Lakeview, people are.
Speaker 12: Going to call that and that's just eighty four. Yeah, so yeah, oh, oh my goodness. Yeah, I got the house the old fashioned way. Oh yeah, my mother passed away.
Speaker 11: Oh I know. Yeah, I've seen this house for years.
Speaker 10: My dad. My dad's eighty six.
Speaker 11: I've been seventy nine.
Speaker 12: I've been seventy nine. John, oh, forty four, forty forty Wow, before I thought you about to see your forty four, I'm I'm forty seven. No freaking way, I'm looking at Jpso right now I gotta get out of the house.
Speaker 11: Yeah. Yeah, that's a good work, that's a good quace to work. It is.
Speaker 12: I'm just forty six. I'll be four six, your first time law enforcement, the first time law enforcing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just before leaving, the other officer times in and let's justin know that another n OPD unit will be coming out soon and they'll call ahead of time so we can put his dog away before they arrive.
Speaker 10: My name's j Justin, brother by Valery Jay, I'm a junior. Okay, yeah, I mean time.
Speaker 12: Yeah, here, thank you, brother Michael on all right, your name Jay Darny.
Speaker 1: It's important to know that no police report is created from this wellness check, per our public records request. But as promised, approximately two hours later, another unit from the n OPDS Third District would return to the home, this time to open an official missing person's investigation. And let's just say this visit would be quite different from the first.
Speaker 13: Hey, we're on this twenty one m it's actually my neighbor. They live three houses away from me. Yeah, he's a strange individual to the husband. I've lived here for three years now and I see him outside all the time, but I have never seen this woman ever. I've always wondered where his wife is because I knew that he was married, but I've never seen him to me, It's just like someone's.
Speaker 11: Not ready here.
Speaker 1: Undetermined is a production of Resonate Recordings and tender Foot TV in conjunction with Cadence thirteen. Written and hosted by me Jessica Nole and produced by Dennis Cooper and Todd Mahomas, with additional production by Whitney Bozart. Executive producers are Dennis Cooper, Mark Minnery, Jacob Bozart, Donald Albright, and Payne Lindsay. Our senior producer is John Street. Editing, mixing, mastering and sound design by Caleb Melcher, Dayton Cole and Pat kick Glider of the Resonate Recordings team. If you have a podcast or are looking to start one, check us out at Resonate Recordings dot com. Our theme song and original score is by Dirt Poor Robbins with additional scoring by Dayton Cole. Additional score for this episode by Interstates and Andy Walker. Our cover art is by Station sixteen. You can follow Undetermined Podcast on Facebook and on Twitter at Undetermined Pod. Show notes as well as bonus content can be found on our website undetermined pod dot com. If you enjoyed this episode, please take time to subscribe, rate, and review, your feedback is greatly appreciated. And finally, if you have any information about this case, call crime Stoppers at one eight seven seven nine zero three seven eight sixty seven