Speaker 1: Smell us Now, lady, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on January ninth, and we'd live for Meat Eater HQ and Bosman Montana. I'm your host, Spencer new Art, joined today by Brodie Henderson and Giannis Boutellis. On today's show, we'll interview Matt Daniels about a seven year quest to track down the mount of his dad's record book Deer. Then we've got show and tell, followed by a hot tip off, and finally we'll talk to Bend Attamanti about an el khunt where four arrows wind up in the same bowl, forty four of them. We're gonna get to the whole thing at the end. It's a wild, over the counter experience that I think few have had, but most have probably had nightmares about how'd you boys spend Christmas break.
Speaker 1: Eating, drinking, hanging out with fun people, getting outside, living the life.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the best.
Speaker 2: You probably describe yourself that way anytime, not just Christmas break right.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm pretty lucky, pretty fortunate, as I think everybody in this room should feel the same way.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Yanni. How about you, bro? Do you doing anything exciting when coming to the office.
Speaker 3: They've got a lot of bird hunting in, which is nice. It's kind of a bittersweet time of year because it's like the end of hunting season, at least for those of us that aren't Yiannis that just get to hunt all your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the time of year when I get very motivated about finding my next permission, about finding my next yh Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I'm just thirsty for more of that, and I can't do it.
Speaker 3: It'll be Turkey season before you know it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yanny. You just had a successful haunt though. Yesterday, as we sit here talking about not haunting anymore.
Speaker 1: I did mingus my buddy Jake and piping Helen. Uh. I actually went up one king and walk this track for a half a mile. I keep looking at it. I'm like, so, bitch, it's got to be a fox. I'm like, I'm not seeing the claws, which would tell me it's a fox or a coyo, you know. But at the same time, I can't catch a leading toe to really tell me that it's a bobcat. I keep looking at it.
Speaker 2: Let it narrow down to those three things.
Speaker 1: Though I was thinking fox or bobcat because it was pretty small.
Speaker 3: It is a deep snow, making it like hard to tell you.
Speaker 1: No, it was on the trail, and sometimes you know when you're out not under trees. It was a couple of inches, but just under the trees, it might have been just a skiff. So I got all versions of this track because I walked. He was on the trail for half a mile. Turns out it was a she and uh. Luckily I took a picture and sent it to Jake because we hadn't hooked up yet, and I'm like, what do you think fox? You know, the picture doesn't go through and he keeps texting me back I didn't get the picture. I didn't get the picture. I'm like, I think it's a fox. So I like, check another canyon and then I drive to meet him and a separate canyon. Right when I get there, the picture finally goes through and he's like, dude, bobcat, let's go back to there. I'm like, all right, let's go.
Speaker 3: Do they have the same kind of gate Fox and Bobcat?
Speaker 1: No, it's more like a lion. You know where they direct registered right where they place each pad in the next pad.
Speaker 2: Are there are there any other clues besides a track that you could come across, Like what if you found some crap? Would that give you any clues?
Speaker 4: Or no? Mmm, not me?
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe some other expert. Yeah, but no, it's all in the track and the gate and the maybe the yeah, the length of the gate, the stride. So you guys go back, but yeah, we go back there and cut the dogs loose on it and they run it for I don't know, not far four hundred yards and they actually went back towards the truck and they were basically three hundred yards above the above the truck, and they treated it all together, which I explained in the post yesterday, I put on the Instagram that Mingus has hasn't caught a bobcat yet on his own, and it's a big deal. They're a lot harder to catch than a lion, much much harder. I can explain if you like. But so that hasn't happened yet. Last time we caught a bobcat it was again with Jake and these same dogs, and I've talked about this before they're superstars. I mean, it's like when you go out with them, you're getting to play, you know, pickup ball on your team. You've got Lebron and MJ. And last time Mingus was five to ten minutes late getting to the tree. In a way, it was good because he instead of me tooing and hearing the dogs barking, treed and picking up his head and running over there and going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to find a better term for that, and me too carry on.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Though?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: He keeps to the track and works the track all the way to the tree and then goes all right, yeah, sweet, I'm here too. Well, yesterday they according to the GPS, they all got there together. They all treed together. And so I feel like I could give Mingus credit for like a legit bobcat catch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's officially award that one to Mingus. Yeah, and then you shot it.
Speaker 1: I shot it about a fifteen pound female beautiful and yeah, Jake's gonna come over night help me tube skin it.
Speaker 2: How often are you passing on bobcats when you treat one? Never?
Speaker 1: I we haven't treed one now, Jake, who hunts a lot more than I do. I don't know how many he's treed. He said he's only killed one this winter, but I'm guessing he's probably treed ten others and he's let him all go because they were probably either females or too small. He's looking to kill mature male.
Speaker 2: And Phil has now pulled up the video, oh, of the end of the hunt.
Speaker 1: No, this is the mountain lion hunt from the week prior. Okay, sorry, honest, No, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Do you ever get a bobcat or anything up a tree and you just can't find it up there because it's getting from view.
Speaker 1: Funny you say that, especially with bobcats. And I found that out with like three weeks ago when my wife and I went we treed a mountain lion, a female in her kitten. The kitten was a couple hundred yards away in a different tree. And the thing they have, it's a problem with mingus because he trees him on the scent. Right. He's like, I know they went to this tree, track goes up this tree, but I can't see him. He trees hard for about an hour just on that scent, ok. And then when he can't find it, he starts to get lose confidence and he wants to be treeing or wants to be running a track or something, so he starts running the track back out and searching coming back to the track. So when we went to the kittens tree, I'm walking up to it, going, man, he slick treed me, which is the term meaning that your dog is barking treed, but there's nothing in it. I had to get all the way around the tree and get eye level with that kitten until I could find it. But I was able to do that and only be fifteen feet from it. This bobcat yesterday. It took Jake and I walking around in circles for probably fifteen to twenty minutes until we finally spotted it.
Speaker 2: Did the dog see it the whole time?
Speaker 1: They never saw it, and so they kind of had done before we got there. They had left the tree, tried to thinking that there's must be a different out, so they ran back on the same trail, kind of searched around for a little bit one hundred yards away and then said nope, it's this way, and they came back to the tree. Eventually, what happens if they there long enough and if you have the right wind, scent thermal conditions, the scent from that animal will drop down and he's thirty yards up there. I mean, he's, you know, ninety feet up in a tree way up there. But that scent drops down and all of a sudden it hits them. So they'll be kind of searching around on the ground a little bit like, yeah, I don't know, I don't know, and then all son, that centle hit him, and all three of them boo boo boom, you know, just blow up on it. And then they'll tree hard for fifteen minutes. But if again, if this, if the wind changes a little bit, they don't. But yeah I did, and it was snowing, and I realized too the scope I had it it was it wouldn't focus close enough, like it wasn't a rim fire scope, and so I couldn't get the parallax to focus at like thirty yards. So that made it a little bit difficult. But ended up with a good shot and one shot killed it.
Speaker 2: Okay, working your way up to being not mj or Lebron but nkole Jokic.
Speaker 1: Maybe mingus Yeah, yeah, he's doing good.
Speaker 2: Someday soon, all right, joining us on the line. First is Matt Daniels, who went on a seventy year quest to track down the amount of his dad's record book White Tail. Matt, Welcome to the show. Hell, go on, guys up, Matt. First thing, tell us about your dad killing this deer?
Speaker 5: Well, well, so my dad started bohunting back in the early nineties and never was much of a trophy hunter, didn't really care about the size of the antlers provide for the family. And he happened to go into a property one day and climbed up in a cedar tree, was just sitting on a ceedar limb with his bow in his lap, and that thing came walking through.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. And this this happened in what nineteen ninety five? Correct?
Speaker 5: Ninety correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, So your dad he recognizes this as a big buck, but maybe doesn't understand the full scope of what just happened. So he does get the deer mounted, right, Yeah, he did, he got that originally. Okay, So he has it mounted, kills it in nineteen ninety five, and then tell us what happens in two thousand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so somewhere in two thousand, just still before I was born, he ended up selling it, selling them out to a collector.
Speaker 2: And then I before you were born, At what point do you find out that this deer ever existed and that your dad killed this thing?
Speaker 5: I think it was twenty seventeen. He pulled a polaroid picture out of his dresser door and was showing it to me, and that was the first time I'd ever seen any pictures of it. And so there I started asking him, like, man, what did I think score? Because you can tell from the picture that's just a giant deer. And he had never had it scored until the person that he sold it to came and scored it, and he remembered it being two hundred inches neck and I was like, there's no way, like that's that's a state record if that's the case, you know. So I took that picture, posted it on a Facebook and a Kansas hunting a fishing group, just asking, you know, does anybody know about this deer? And within twenty four hours I was in contact with the person who owned it.
Speaker 2: And so twenty four hours later you're talking to the current owner of the mount What happened then?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So from there I reached out to him, sent him a copy of that picture to prove that it was the same year. And from there we actually mailed handwritten letters back and forth for a little while, kind of discussing it if you would ever think about selling it, And he finally got back with me on that and told me he'd sell it back to us, but the price was right at forty thousand.
Speaker 2: And do you know how he acquired the buck? What was the chain of events that wound up with this antler collector? I think he was in Maine, right. How did you wind up that he ever had this thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, as far as I know it, it had been sold over the years a couple of different times, and he ended up buying it from another collector.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he offers to sell it to you for forty thousand dollars. When he said forty thousand dollars, did you expect that to be the price? And did he sort of act like I'm doing you guys a favor by offering to sell it to you for forty thousand or is that what he would have sold it to me or Yanni as well?
Speaker 5: I mean, he made it seem like he was only going to sell it to us because he believed you know, it belonged to us since my dad was a person harvested it. But that price at that time, it was a heart shock.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I was only sixty years old at that time, so forty thousand dollars to me just sounded completely impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you do manage to scrape a little bit of money together.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I kind of kept everybody up to date on the post on Facebook because there was a lot of people following along with the story, and a lot of guys were telling me, you know, they were willing to throw in twenty bucks, fifty bucks, and they're like, why don't you start to GoFundMe or something? And I was like, there ain't no way, there's no point. But they talked me into doing it, and I ended up raising about fifteen thousand dollars towards.
Speaker 2: It till fifteen thousand. Do you make a fifteen thousand dollars offer at that point?
Speaker 5: No, I mean the guy at the time that owned it, he told me he wasn't gonna budget on that price. So after a month or so of the gofund me being up and everything kind of went stale, I came to the real estate that that price wasn't gonna work out.
Speaker 2: For me, Okay, And at that point, Matt, it gets sold a second time while you're tracking this year, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when I reached back out to the current owner at that time and told him, you know, that I wasn't gonna be able to come up with the money, he went ahead and sold it to another collector.
Speaker 2: And what was it like dealing with that collector because you sort of went through the same process again of trying to buy it or trying to get a replica, right, yeah.
Speaker 5: So I reached out to the new owner that just purchased it, and he's a pretty well known tailor collector iiO, and he didn't really want to work with me too much. He confirmed that he did own it, sent me a bunch of current pictures of it, which it was just the skull cap at that time, and then I talked to him about getting a replica. He kind of said it wasn't going to be a possibility. And I kind of messaged him back and forth for a couple of years, and he didn't never really want to help out too much.
Speaker 2: So it feels like, again Matt has hit a dead end, and you guys, should watch this episode of Media Radio on YouTube because here's a spoiler. We can see the mount in the background of Matt. So this antler collector in Ohio now has it, but not for long and it gets sold a third time during your pursuit.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: So after about two or three years of talking to this he finally messaged me back one day and pretty much that I don't own any more. Bass Pro has it. So from there I'm thinking, well, maybe I'll at least be able to see it every back in my life at this time, So I started to try to reach out to bass Pro and that was a that was a task on it.
Speaker 2: And so when bass Pro has it, do you know what they were doing with it at that point? Like where were they displaying it?
Speaker 5: So I was under I was told it was supposed to be on display at the Wonders of Wildlife at their Springfield, Missouri headquarters, and I called that location. They said they couldn't really release any information of what antlers were on display there. So I had a couple buddies that ended up going there and they kind of facetimed me through the whole thing and it was not on display. This was probably about six months after I was told that it was supposed to be. So at this point, I'm like, does bass Pro even actually have this rack? You know, is a guy just lying to me whatnot?
Speaker 2: How did how did you end up even tracking down the right person to talk to at bass Pro?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So pretty much it was another You're like year and a half or so calling location emails, the voicemails, and I'd never got a response back. That pretty much just spent you know, a few minutes on a you know, every month, just calling and leaving a voicemail, sending another email, and then just randomly this September, I got an email back and I honestly thought it was a scam email, but there was an email from a person with bas Pro regarding information on this.
Speaker 2: Yer Okay, and it must have been good news because again this mount is sitting right behind you. What did they have to say?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They so.
Speaker 5: At first they just confirmed that they did own it, and uh that the antlers were not on display and the real rack not planned to be on display. I don't really know find that, but they told me I was able to get a replica and I would have to work with handlers by Klaus. So they got me in contact with that company and then from there I just worked with them on getting a replica made.
Speaker 2: And shortly thereafter the thing showed up at your front door.
Speaker 5: Yep. Yeah, they definitely worked with me. I thank The average time for for the replicas around three months to four months, and I had it at my door and find it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So five weeks later he gets the rack. What is the hide on the deer? You've you've obviously found some other skin to wrap around this mount? What is that?
Speaker 5: So once I found out that I was going to get get a replica maid when when I found out when I was going to get it? Now I was on a mission for the mount, and uh, I thought it would be really cool to use a kate from a deer that I harvested on my dad's deer, just sentimental reasons. So now I was out on a mission to harvest a good mature deer to get a kate for it, and that's what I did.
Speaker 2: There you go, well, it looks magnificent. Now, at some point along the way, Matt, this deer gets entered in the Boone and Crockett record books.
Speaker 5: Right, yep, yep, it's entered as pass pro as the owner, and my dad Albert.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the details of this buck, some of the measurements that would make a white tail hunter's jaw drop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean it's so there's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's uh, he is the perfect deer. He's the type of deer that when a wildlife artist is like drawing a scene that has a white tail bucking buck in it, they always make a white tail buck that's just too perfect and too big. And what they're modeling that after you would think, is this dear that Matt's dad killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though when they draw them, I think they're even maybe eighty percent smaller, twenty percent smaller. Sorry, they're only eighty percent of that that joker that thinks amazing. Hey, is your dad told you that spot? Have you been to the spot where this deer was harvested?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's actually only about fifteen miles from where he still lives, but he's taken me out there. And at the time of the hunt, it was a big cedar farm, just thick seedars everywhere. It's all just real crop now, unfortunately, And.
Speaker 2: What's your dad's attitude been like throughout this seven year quest of trying to track this thing down. Has he been super interested or has he just been like totally disinterested.
Speaker 1: I mean, he thought it was cool.
Speaker 5: He never really cared that much about getting the replica or getting the rack back. That he didn't even know it was a state record or how significant of a deer it was until I kind of started getting myself into the story of it. But we surprised him with it Christmas Eve, and he couldn't believe it. Man, he was just blown away.
Speaker 2: Can can you move your camera to show us some of the details of this buck. We're going to get a real good look at this thing's rack. My goodness, just perfect all around, enormous G two s and G three's that at the same length. I imagine like the only deductions on this thing were maybe on the brow tides, Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got so it grows scores to twelve and three eight, So it's got about twelve inches of deductions and a lot of it is the G five here, Okay, So he's got like an inch and a half G five on that side and this sides about five or six inches.
Speaker 2: Amazing deer. We're happy that you were able to track this thing down and that your story had a happy ending. How did your fall go this year? Match? When I talked to you yesterday trying to line up this interview, you said you needed to wait a few hours before you could call me because you were deer hunting.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was just going out a dough last evening and didn't end up getting one across the field, but didn't up making a shot.
Speaker 2: All right, Matt, Well, congrats on tracking down that deer and good luck with what's left your white tail season. Thank you, thanks for joining us. Thanks Matt seven year quest. I just met the rest of my life trying to find that buck. If I was Matt, I'm glad that it worked out for him.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, I'm glad he has that I was gonna I was gonna ask him and just didn't get around to it. But how real are those replica antlers? Like, if you don't know that the replica antlers, will you be fooled?
Speaker 2: Well? Were you not there when Dustin Huff brought in Yeah, Moose his Bucks brought it to the live show in Cleveland. I think it was Well, you have no idea that you were looking at a replican I think they're so good now that they would They would fool you even if you knew you had a fifty percent chance of guessing whether or not that thing was real or fake. I don't think.
Speaker 1: But what if you just had like the skull capped antlers and it was a and you're holding it, like, do they do the weight?
Speaker 2: I imagine it's it's got to be pretty dang similar. I can't, I can.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know, on that sheep mount that John Hayes did for me, I mean you can't tell the weight and everything. I mean, it's spot on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can see that buck. It sounds like at the Wonders of Wildlife Museum from bass Pro. I don't think we specifically touched on it there, but in one of the articles that was written about Matt's story, bass Pro told Matt that the real antlers will never be on display anywhere. They're always going to be hidden away in some storage room. If you go and try to look at that buck of Matt's dads, which is now officially the Kansas state record for typical white tails, you're always looking at a replica.
Speaker 1: That's sad.
Speaker 2: That is sad. I think so too. I'd just rather not know at that point. Yeah, all right, moving on, our next segment is show and tell Mannie.
Speaker 8: The show has step Manie, The show has Step Boom many a show.
Speaker 2: Step Spencer, Brata Rock.
Speaker 8: What else did you inspect?
Speaker 2: What? Another fine jingle from Let's start with you? What did you.
Speaker 1: Phil's jingles?
Speaker 2: For a few more minutes, bring to show the classroom.
Speaker 1: Well, since we're on the theme of bobcats.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that is that is the theme.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yanni has a live Bobcat in the studio.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never properly like done a post about this this guy a lot of people. Maybe you can watch the episode where Jake and I go and kill this bobcat.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's in Montana. Mingus was not in on the on the the catch, but it was such a specimen. Jake said that I should definitely kill it and get it mounted. How heavy was that thing? Twenty five pounds?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I was going to guess twenty eight on the nose that's like upper end, that's beefy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, monster. I think they get bigger in the Midwest, but what they don't have in the Midwest is a belly like that. Yeah. If you can see that. But that that is what makes a high dollar bobcat is when you have that big, wide white belly with those beautiful black spots.
Speaker 2: I've seen three bobcats in real life out in nature while I was doing something else. They were all half of this size. This this thing looks enormous to me.
Speaker 1: Oh it's yeah. The one I killed yesterday was well we guess it at fifteen pounds, so ten pounds less, and it seemed like it was half the size. But yeah. John Hayes did the tax durmy. It's actually a pillow mount. Clay was up there and did a little video on a kyo. John had. He he's doing a pillow mount of and I thought, man, it'd be great to do a pillow mount because it's it's hands on right, and you can you can change its body positioning because it's got in the old wire is working this thing around. I mean, you can totally just you know, my goodness, that's not doesn't look normal. He's making it do the y m c A. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most most taxidermy is looking don't touch, but not this thing.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I figure even if if the kids that come over to my house rub the hair off of this thing. It'll be, it'll be have done. It served its purpose, you know, which is hopefully to get kids interested in wildlife and podcasts.
Speaker 3: Those pillow mounts are becoming more and more common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can't do them. John says you can't do them on animals much bigger than this. Yeah, it just gets harder and harder. And he said that especially for some reason, it's very difficult to get a cat to look good in a pillow amount. It's much easier to do a canine for some reason, just because of the body structure.
Speaker 2: What's that thing filled with to give it that like pillowy sensation?
Speaker 7: Do you know?
Speaker 1: I don't know exactly. I know it's gotten the old wire running through is the skeleton, but I don't know what the actual pillow stuffing is.
Speaker 3: Almost like memory foam or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it bounces right back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's satisfying.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing I've always been impressed with with that one is its face, its head, because it's just like so like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, one of my favorite things to do. I'm trying to position them so that folks can look right into his eyes.
Speaker 2: Do we go to a full camera just on on them filled.
Speaker 1: We can't.
Speaker 10: It's not going to make it any bigger though, but I will.
Speaker 1: Uh my one of my favorite things to do this. It used always sell on top of a bookshelf. Was about eye level. It was cool up there. But now what I do. My wife loves plants. There's a lot of plants in the house.
Speaker 2: Each had thing towards the camera to give it a better view. This camera here, Yanni, keep going tell your story, but.
Speaker 1: I will hide it. This is a hard multitask that you're asking about by Spencer.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll fill in here for a second. You hit it in the studio today. Yeah, I just caught a glance of it coming in through our window and you know, for half a second it startled.
Speaker 10: It was it was curled up under the table when I walked in and staring right at the door. And I walked in and I my heart skipped a beat for a second.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 10: It was not fun.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'll place it kind of conspicuously, you know, near under a plant, right, so only half of its body showing, and you just so it looks like a cat hiding and staring at you. We had a house sitter while we were in Latvia, Oh, come by people checking on chickens and getting eggs and whatnot. It startled her so bad that she left the fridge door open and damn near killed my fridge because she just ran out of the house. She didn't want anything to do with this thing. But yeah, it's amazing, Like it gets people every time. Like Phil just saw it underneath the table.
Speaker 8: Did she think it was real?
Speaker 6: Real?
Speaker 1: I don't know what she thought, but she didn't want to it out.
Speaker 2: I wrote an article a few years ago. It was specific to deer taxidermy and shoulder mounts, and like, what should you look for if you're visiting a taxi dream I start looking at a taxi dreamist work and you want to be confident that they're good at their job. And they had mentioned a handful of things. The three that stuck out to me were all regarding the face, and it was about the eyes, the nose, and the ears and those three things on this pillow. Uh just look fabulous.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: That's why it makes people's heart skip a beat when they see the damn thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just are you getting yesterday's cat just tanned?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just gonna tube skin it, yeah, and hang it up somewhere in the house. And then when when Bobcat fur prices get real high, I'm gonna cash in.
Speaker 11: That.
Speaker 2: That was a good item to bring in for show. And tell Brody, what do you got with you today?
Speaker 3: Oh, Spencer, I'm gonna take you back to a time when people didn't waste their time watching Yellowstone and squid Game and they read books.
Speaker 2: Uh books. That is an enormous book.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the Bobcats kind of in the way there. Yeah, yes one.
Speaker 2: Brody has two enormous tools with him today, stacked on top of each other.
Speaker 3: I inherited these from my dad.
Speaker 2: They got to be about ten inches tall.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Both of these were published in the mid sixties. This is the New Hunters Encyclopedia. Oh wow, not new anymore. But I used to have the dust jacket for it, but it fell apart.
Speaker 2: Have you read this thing?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that's why I brought him. Like when I was a kid, I used to I spent countless hours reading both of these. This one is McLean's standard fishing Encyclopedia, and it's like extensive, man. And the cool thing about looking through these now is the stuff that has changed immensely and the stuff that hasn't changed at all. It's like because they have everything like inn here from like guns and cartridges, you know, and a lot of that stuff's like obsolete now. But yeah they're awesome.
Speaker 2: And the the fishing encyclopedia, that thing looks old, but then you put it next to your hunting encyclopedia and it makes it look new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I mean maybe this one just got read more from you know, mid sixties.
Speaker 1: Well your data. I like how he labeled the inside of the cover with his name and the and the year that he got it. Yeah, with an older.
Speaker 2: It's like a piece of tuppleware that you take the pot luck. Yeah, wanted to make sure when that thing was making the rounds.
Speaker 3: These are sixty year old books and you can still get them on Amazon. They're not that, they're not that, they're not thousand dollars collector items. You can still find them. So yeah, every now and then I pull them out, take a look.
Speaker 2: It's very cool. You can you can have your sons through those someday.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hunting and fishing, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: The older one is looked through both of them a little bit, but it's you know, it's a challenge these days. Got a lot of competition.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, all right. Last thing for show and tell is what I brought today. And this is one of my favorite white tails that I have ever killed, because he has a super unique rack. I killed this buck on opening day of South Dakota's rifle season in twenty sixteen. It was the last like five minutes of shooting light. It was a blizzard, and this this buck was at like one hundred yards just showed up on the edge of this cornfield I was hunting, and I didn't have a great look at him. I was like, man, there is something weird with this deer. And I had to decide kind of right then if I was going to shoot him or not. I could see one side. On one side, he has just a perfect standard five point antler that looks like millions of deer walking around North America right now. That was the side I had a very good look at, and I was trying to pick up what was happening on his other side. And I didn't have a great idea until after I had actually shot him and got up to him, and then I still didn't fully understand it until I had skinned him, just what was going on here? So one side the standard five point side, the other side he has this mutant little four point antler, and then underneath that he has what I would consider probably be an extra main beam. It's a twelve inch dagger that comes out of the same pedicle. And then he's got another four inch antler that is crawling across his skull towards his other normal antler. And this this thing is just super goofy. I've showed it to some biologists about like, what do you think happened here? And there's some common answers that they'll give you. One of them is that deer will have not just deer, but elk as well moose. They'll have abnormal antler growth if they have an injury to one of their legs because it stricts some blood flow or messes with their blood vessels, and usually then the other antler opposite of that leg injury will grow something funky. This year didn't have anything like that. He was totally normal. I've shot deer with limps and gates and injuries before. This buck seemed quite healthy. So then the other answers that they'll give you is they had an injury to their pedicle down here, and that could have happened while he was in Velvet that year, and this might have been just a one time thing that he threw this rack, or it could have been permanent damage. I'll never know. I didn't have any history with this buck. But maybe my favorite thing about this year is that I don't remember when I scored him. I scored him after I'd skinn him out. He was in the one forties. But this antler, it was like sixty some inches of antler when you're scoring him. The other antler was only one inch difference. They almost scored the exactly.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, like, it's interesting, how on that? What would be his side?
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: You know you got you got these like dinky little times here.
Speaker 2: It's like this care that one is kind of loose. He was fighting with this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that one, Like this thing suck the energy out of this though totally, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I asked a biologist. I was like, so, what was he just destined to throw the same amount of antlers no matter how it came out, with what shape? He was going to grow, and they said, no, that was just a coincidence, more than likely. But this is this is one of my favorite white tails that I've ever killed.
Speaker 1: Because did you know he existed before you saw him?
Speaker 2: Had no history with this deer. He had actually my dad had a tag that year as well. He was hunting about a half mile away, and this buck had walked by him that evening and it was through some timber and he didn't have a good look at it either. And he was with my brother who did not have a tag, and and they both also had a conversation like what was up with that deer? There was something goofy going on? Or like was there another smaller buck next to him that we just like couldn't get a good look at his antlers? But this is one of my favorite deer I've ever killed. All Right, that is it for Show and Tell today. Let's take a break for some listener feedback. Phil, what's the chat?
Speaker 1: I have to say?
Speaker 10: Yeah, before we get to that though, I mentioned this once before, but for those of you who are listening in podcast version now or watching it later, you can get a notification every time we go live on Thursday if you'd like, and it won't give you notifications for everything else we post, so only when the mediater podcast Network YouTube channel goes live, it'll dig, so you'll only get it once a week. That's not bad. You can go to your if you're subscribed to the mediater podcast Network YouTube channel, you should have like a little bell option somewhere if you go to the page, and that's sort of like your notification button. If you click that, you'll get a notification for the whole network. But then you can go into your settings and then just just switch it so that you only get a notification for live streams. So if you don't want to miss the episode every Thursday, I recommend doing that. You could also click when I usually post this episode the day before, sometime in the afternoon or evening, so it pops up in your subscription feed. There's a separate button if you just want to get a notification for a single episode of something that's going to be live streamed. There's a little button that says notified me in your subscriptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you can't remember that, we go live every Thursday at noon Central time, follow Phil's directions.
Speaker 10: There sure thing we have a question from a woman named Linda. She says to ask Spencer about his very first hunt when he fell asleep. Oh that's Linda Newheart. Yeah, well, what's this story?
Speaker 2: That is my mom. I had a youth tag. I was probably fourteen years old. I was on a deer hunt. I think it was around Christmas. We had to go to church that night, and I fell asleep while my dad and I were sitting there. And I didn't know this until later. I woke up because a raccoon was walking by at some point. Didn't kill anything. But later on my dad had told my mom, I don't think Spencer's going to be a hunt too.
Speaker 1: Just don't.
Speaker 2: Think this is for him. So that was my first ever dear hunt. But but I proved him wrong.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 10: We have a question from Rashad, who is asking for tips on identifying critter burrows. This is I don't know if you guys have any of these. I thought I asked you in his New Year's resolution is to catch a red fox that'll settle for a coyote.
Speaker 2: I don't have any tips. Anytime I look at someone like, oh that's a badger or a coyote or a fox, I never I never have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of them. I think we'll like change it up, move into someone else's spot, like different speed.
Speaker 1: I think tracks, Yeah, I find tracks at the mouth to see who's using it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, set up a camera right next to it, or see the damn thing, because they go in and on of them often. It's not like they go down there and just, uh, you know, don't come back out for three days.
Speaker 10: This is a follow up to Brody's show in tel segment, but Free Crank is asking what piece of literature should a hunter or outdoorsmen own. You guys have some essential reading tips, Brody, what do you.
Speaker 3: Get those two right there? No, the whole met eater library.
Speaker 2: That's right there, you go.
Speaker 1: It's a good place to start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the entire media library. I like to tell Steve this sometimes because it makes him feel old. But I read his first book when I was in college. So that's that's like Scavenger's Guide.
Speaker 3: No, it was the well, it was the volume one of the hunt Fish Small Small Game Volume one or Big Game. I can't remember, but.
Speaker 1: Those two Big Game.
Speaker 3: I mean, literature is like there's literature and then there's like guide books, you know, not that there. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I'm with you. Like, if you want some cool like Sand County Almanac, Yeah, that's definitely a good place to start.
Speaker 3: What's his name cool adventure stories? Capstick? Yeah, the Robert Ruart spell.
Speaker 2: Like Chapstick, which is weird, right, I'm thinking of something else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Robert good. Yep, he's got some good.
Speaker 3: Thomas mcguain has fish and stuff. He's even got a couple of good hunting stories.
Speaker 2: What else you got?
Speaker 10: Phil Jared is asking for some for a pertinent tip here. He's at North Alabama, was expecting snow and ice starting tomorrow around six am. He's asking if he should hunt this evening or focus on a morning hunt after a possible storm hunt both.
Speaker 2: Uh So this this snow storm is coming at six am, should I hunt this evening or focus the morning hunt? I feel like a lot of big buck killers would tell you that white tails know when there is a front coming, and they will act on that and they'll be on their feet more. It would take you know, a lot of tracking and journaling to act actually prove that out, But like I said, common white tail hunting knowledge would say that they're really going to be moving this evening because they also know what the forecast is.
Speaker 1: I found that to be true. And then like during this storm, sure you can go and find them, but it can just be kind of miserable and they're not on their feet. Doesn't seem like quite as much. They can be huddled in some hole somewhere. But right when it breaks, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, anything else, Phil, Yeah, we got a couple more, but let's just do one for now. I guess this is a question for Yannis or anybody, but Nate's asking if there's a price difference if for a pillow mount.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the price difference is, but that pillow amount, in my mind, was not cheap. It was about fourteen hundred dollars. Okay, gotcha, which is.
Speaker 3: Probably what you pay for like an elk shoulder mount something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've know, well we did. I've only shoulder mount in one critter in my life, but I would know because we had a trivia question one time about the average price of a shoulder mount. I think I looked at like twenty different taxidermists all across the country, and I don't remember the exact number, but it was like six hundred eighty seven dollars something like that was the average price. So you get, you know, a couple big old white tail shoulder mounted or one bobcat pillow. I think I'd go with the bobcat pillow. Those are significantly more.
Speaker 1: Rare, Yeah, and much easier to move around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like if you got a life size mount of that thing, like in some habitat, it'd be at least as much, but you wouldn't have it'd be like, yeah, you put it there, it's there forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To answer one of the questions that we had about books that outdoorsmen should read, this is something we've written a lot about on the meat eater dot com. I'm going to read you some headlines here. You can just go to our website type in books and you're gonna get all these results. Four books every white tail hunter should read. Six more books every white tail hunter should read. Those were Mark Kenyon, The Best Book for out The Best Books for outdoor Kids. Eight books every Hunter should Read.
Speaker 1: That was Steve.
Speaker 2: Five must read fly fishing books. That was Mark Kenyon. Brody a couple of times wrote what are your ask, meat Eater, what are your book Recommendations Part one and two. We had mark to another article, the Ultimate Recommended Reading List for Hunters, So that'll answer your question much more thorough than we just did.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: All right, Our next segment is Hot Tip Off.
Speaker 5: Turn your head.
Speaker 1: What's that face?
Speaker 2: That's salty? That's salty?
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Never did I think Chapel rowing would get a shout out on the Meat Eater airwave. She is the one who sings the song that Phil was doing a spoof off.
Speaker 5: H O T t O.
Speaker 10: That's one of my more my more modern Phil.
Speaker 3: I feel like you've got the potential to really get a weird Al Yankovic career going.
Speaker 10: No, that's so kind of you, Brody. I think it might be. Uh, you're giving me a lot more credit than Oh.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think Brody's wrong at all. I think you're honestly You're like, I mean, we love having you here, but you're not easing your talent what you could?
Speaker 2: Uh, you go home and you ask your daughters who Chapel Roane is and see what kind of answer you get.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Hot tip Off is where two members of the crew go head to head with competing pieces of advice and after we hear each tip, we'll declare which one is hotter. In the chat, we're gonna listen to you guys as well. You let us know which hot tip you like.
Speaker 1: Better.
Speaker 2: Take it away, Phil Cory Culkins.
Speaker 9: This is Corey Culkins, and I got another hot tip for you. I just killed a bowl elk a couple of days ago, and I got him hanging in my garage along with my mule deer buck that shot a couple of days before. That perfect temp by thirty eight thirty nine degrees in my garage for hanging, had the deer hanging for about five days, the elk for three days.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 9: Probably work on the deer first. By the time I'm done with my elk, it'll probably have hung for just about a week.
Speaker 1: But there's a little bit of.
Speaker 9: Hair residue left on this animal. It's so hard to keep all the hair off those animals in the field, so you could do this for hours and still not get all the hair off. Some of it's kind of stuck on there from the blood. But if you use a torch, which I know a lot of people use for waterfowl, getting some of those fine feathers off of ducks and geese works really well for your red meat too, So hit away with a little heat.
Speaker 2: Job some of these.
Speaker 5: See up here's a front shoulder.
Speaker 1: Hair.
Speaker 6: What hair.
Speaker 3: You can hear it, says one.
Speaker 10: I like that satisfying.
Speaker 2: I can smell it too.
Speaker 9: Save a little bit of knife work works so well.
Speaker 2: Maggie Huddlo.
Speaker 4: Boilcome do another hot tip off on media to Radio Live. I'm Maggie Hullo and I'm joined by Bill here. We are talking about Bill's feet today and my tip Bill is a dog. How you protect hairy dog's feet in the winter. So Bill has got some grinch paws on him and they collect eye spawls like son of a gun in the lenner. So the best thing that I've found, because booties aren't working, bi, what have you cut? And I'm not I'm not doing that. I'm not putting them in those silly little overall things either, not doing that to my dog. Best thing I've found is this. It's called musher secret and it's a salve you gotta put on and you just make sure you get it up in this part of their paw, in between their toes, in all those places where the ice sticks. And then when they're out running around in the snow. They're not stopping all the time to you know, chew eyeballs out of their feet and you don't have to pick it out of their feet, and it's better time for everyone. So hope that helps for somebody, and go on, get your dog outside.
Speaker 10: They need it and you do too, sick.
Speaker 6: See all right, we're about halfway through our walk. Tonight is fifteen degrees and the timp is dropping. So let's check out Bill's feet here. You're a big horse. You can tell there's some snow in there, but it's not ice ball, so it's not hurting him. He's not getting stores. It's pretty much just loose snow which sticks all over him anyway, so he's a happy dog.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We're now gonna discuss which tip we think is hotter in the meantime chat get your votes in let us know if you think you like Corey's hot tip about torching venison hides, or if you like Maggie's hot tip about treating dog feet better. I'll go first to me. Corey's feels like it's kind of well known, Like I feel like most folks who have a deer hanging in their ground. Probably also know that you hit that thing with a torch. Now, I'm not a hairy footed dog owner. I'm an aspiring hairy footed dog owner. But I don't know if that one is as common or not. But I'm gonna give my vote to Maggie.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think, I'm kind of in the same boat. I knew about both of them, so I didn't learn too much today. But yeah, I don't know. I'm lucky Mingus doesn't need any salve on his feet. Your dog probably does.
Speaker 3: My dog does. And if you're hanging I love Corey, but if you're hanging meat in your garage for a week, you're gonna that meat is gonna develop a rind on it, a hard rind, and you're just gonna cut it off anyway. So like a few hairs on it not gonna hurt anything.
Speaker 2: But you're like not bringing it, you know, say you're bringing into your kitchen. You're not bringing that mess into your cutting board. Maybe I still do well if you got hairs on there and they're rubbing off and everything else, I feel like I'm always hitting it with a torch. It's probably the only reason I own a torch.
Speaker 1: Actually, I never do tell you.
Speaker 2: What are you voting for? Brody Maggie? All right, it's unanimous in here, Phil, What is the chance.
Speaker 10: It's definitely leaning Maggie. I gotta okay. But also we have a private comment from an upcoming guest who says, torch the hair off the dog's feet. Boom, Okay, I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: That's a good viet And our last interview is with Ben Dedamanti. But before we talk to him, we're going to show you a crazy video of Ben shooting a bull elk at four yards. Play the clip, Phil. You can see that video on this YouTube video, or you can go to Ben's instagram at shed Crazy to watch it. But here's the plot twist. Ben was the second of three guys to shoot that bull that day, and he's here now to talk to us about that unusual hunt. Ben, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Let's go on, hey, Ben, start from the very beginning of that hunt on opening morning.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, what's utah over the counter. It's a very low success hunt, low density of elk on the unit, and we had found some bulls kind of in a deserty area that were by themselves, and we were super hopeful that we'd have these bulls to ourselves, but it didn't actually turn out that way. We went out to the area to hunt these elk on opening morning and we found the elk where they had been for basically the whole summer. We were watching them from across the canyon, and we sent one body in kind of on a stalk to get in the path of the bulls so that he'd be able to get an opportunity at him. And as we're watching these bulls come up onto this little plateau in the glass, I noticed another hunter there. And we'd never see anybody out there during scouting, and it's not an area where very many people hunt, so I figured we'd maybe have it to ourselves. Anyway, we kind of sat back and watched it unfold. I threw the phone on the phone on the adapter on the all and we started watching to see what would go down. Anyway, the elk away it was headed up, walked right to this other hunter just randomly happened to be on that path, and we were able to kind of get it on video. We saw him crouch down behind a rock and saw the elk walk in front of him at about sixty or seventy yards, and as the bull got kind of pasted him, it started to turn broadside. Then it ended up kind of facing away, and that's the moment he shot. I think he thought it was going to go fully broadside, and he ended up hitting the bowl through kind of the arm meet low the shoulder above the knee, and the arrow passed through that shoulder and was hanging out by the fletchings. And so obviously we were kind of bombed, you know, thinking, here's our bull that we're out here to try to try to hunt today, and he's he's now been shot by this other hunter.
Speaker 2: So we watched how far were you watching this unfold from?
Speaker 7: Ben? We were probably fifteen hundred yards away on a glassy knob, and so we had the spotters and everything set up, and we were just kind of kicked back and we knew our buddy was somewhere in that area, but I didn't know exactly where. So we watched the bowl. It runs out maybe one hundred yards, stands around, puts some weight on his leg, starts walking normally, and it ends up traveling about another thousand or fifteen hundred yards and dropping into a small canyon. So we kind of sat back and thought, well, we'll just watch this play out, see what happens. We watched the other hunter, and for about four hours, he never moved to recover the bowl at all and never went anywhere over in that direction, and so we sent a friend over just to check with him and see what.
Speaker 2: His plan was.
Speaker 7: There was another bowl with it as well, and they both kind of went down a little canyon together, and you know, these are the only two elk in this hilario, so we're thinking, like, we still kind of like to hunt these elk. So we sent a friend to talk to the first hunter, and he said he had some people coming out to help him and they were going to go recover this bowl. And we let him know that it was hitting the leg and he thought that he had hit it in the body cavity. So there was kind of a little moment there where we didn't, you know, a misunderstanding whatever. So during all this, the two bowls kind of split up. The one bowl the other bowl was this one horn five point I had one antler, and we were totally interested in hunting that elk. So we told the other hunter, we're going to go in and try to kill the one horn bowl, and I guess we'll see what happens. So where the video kind of kicks in is me, I'm moving in to shoot this one horn five point and as I walk up to the edge of the cliff there, I realized the six point that this other hunter is hit is now right below me. He's moved back around underneath the ledge and he's just posted up right there. By the time I knew he was there, I mean, he was already twenty yards or less away from me. So I just went, well, here's a bowl he's obviousally hit. I'm going to walk in there and I'm going to finish the deal and then we'll work it out. So you see me walk into the edge there. The wind is just absolutely ripping up out of that canyon. I draw a walk off shoot that bowl, and my fletching's actually kind of contacted the rock and hit the bowl in the shoulder, but it penetrated through the shoulder. The bowl spins and the arrow kind of backs out and then it runs down the canyon, and so I'm kind of hectic. I'm like oh, I need a follow up shot for sure on the celt and he runs down into the bottom of the canyon, so I start moving around parallel to get another shot at him. I actually took another shot there and just missed him because of the wind. It just blew the arrow clear off. And as I'm moving over towards him, I hear my buddy click on the radio, who had you know, earlier in the day gone on the stalk and he says, Hey, that bull just ran past me and I put a perfect arrow in it. So I'm like, all right, well, this is a you know, crazy situation. Now we got three people hit this bowl. But I'm super glad that, you know, the elk is a least down and this is only just a couple of minutes after I had hit it. So I walked to the edge and the bowl was kind of like expiring. I think my friend put one more arrow in it and the whole ordeal was done. So that's kind of the whole story of how that bowl got killed. But insane to have three people. I mean, when I posted on Instagram, I was like, this is standard Utah over the counter stuff, because it seems like this stuff happens on these over the counter units. But it did kind of turn into a little bit of a social media debacle after that. The first hunter he came down and I was I wasn't there for this part. I had gone back to get the truck, but had a bit of a confrontation with my friend who was the third shooter in this scenario, and he ended up putting a post on Facebook and it went viral, kind of like I guess, defaming the third hunter, and it turned to this big, ugly ordeal.
Speaker 1: So luckily, you know what was Ben what was his problem with the whole thing?
Speaker 7: He thought that we should have well, obviously, I think his biggest problem was that I went in there when the ball was wounded, right, He thought, you know, I should have backed out totally, and in hindsight, you know, everything being what it is, I may have done that. Like my intention was to shoot this other bowl, and then it just kind of worked out the way that it did. Yeah, I don't want it for being frustrated. But he was able to look to and see where he'd hit the elk, and when we you know, obviously were butchering the bowl, we saw where my arrow entered we saw my buddies and we saw where he had hit it, and there was nothing close to fatal on the shot.
Speaker 2: Then tell us one more time, Ben, tell us one more time. Where all three of these arrows wound up in the thing from the first hunter, you and then the third hunter.
Speaker 7: So the first hunter hit it below the shoulder and above the knee, so kind of threw the arm meet from the back to the front, and the arrow was hanging out the front. Here I hit the bowl in the shoulder blade and it got through and it hit for sure hit the close sidelong. I don't know if it got into the off side lung and then my buddy hit it just perfect square in the lungs. And so so when we all talked about that, when we looked at the bowl, we just decided that, you know, my buddy put the most lethal arrow on it. He was the last shoot. I didn't feel like I had any claim on the bowl because I'm just the middle guy in this giant cluster, you know what I mean. So I decided and my buddy decided that he should tag it. And him tagging it really, you know, upset this kid and ended up having a bit of a confrontation over it, so it all ended up kind of going bigger than we wanted it to. An officer from the fishing game came out and investigated it. After that, the post went viral on Facebook and he said there was no wrongdoing and everything got worked out in the end. What we ended up doing that I think really solved it. Has just got on the phone with everybody and with the other hunter and made some apologies and everybody kind of just walked away from it and let it be. But it was just like one of those scenarios you hoped to never run into, and you would never walk into intentionally on public land, but kind of got out of control. And that's kind of why, Like, I mean, this happened back in August, and I haven't shared a ton about it because it's such a wild scenario and it just kind of feels weird. But anyway, that's a story.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the messaging of the Facebook post and how Hunter number one had sort of portrayed the event.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so he basically said, I shot this bowl, I went to blood track it when I found it, there was somebody else gutting it. That was his story he put on Facebook. He said it was about an hour later, and so he made it seem like he'd made a fatal shot and he went to recover the bowl and somebody else was there, and so I had footage, you know, from the whole scenario, from him shooting, to me shooting, to us recovering it with time stamps, and so I had to eventually put together a little YouTube video that I could share for context for the people who were kind of wrapped up in the whole drama the situation. And as you guys know, when anything happens and it gets out there on the social media world, it can just spiral so fast.
Speaker 2: How much time had passed between like Hunter number one shooting the yelk and then you wind up going on a stock and coming upon.
Speaker 7: It five hours. So he shot it around seven am and I shot it right at noon.
Speaker 2: And what was his plan to recover this bull or to get another arrow in it?
Speaker 7: He just said that he was waiting for his dad and some friends to come out and help him look for it, and then they were going to go after it. But I don't know exactly what he was wanting to do. Like from his angle, he couldn't see the bull, and we could see it up the canyon and we told him, we're like it. When our friend went over and talked to him, told him, it's on its feet, it's not hit bad, it's just acting like an elk. So it turned into this whole ordeal.
Speaker 2: Did he like, was he optimistic that he was going to recover this thing? Did he think he had put a lethal shot on it?
Speaker 7: I don't know, because he had video two of the bull after the shot, so I think he was kind of maybe in a spot where I think he told his friends that he'd hit it fatally and hit it good, but then maybe when he reviewed through the footage he knew that he didn't, so he kind of had to have a moment too, and he looked at the elk and with the officer and everything, they said, well, if you hit this bull bidally, there'd be a hole right here and there's not, so and they basically had to kind of come to an agreement on that.
Speaker 1: But it was dumb and it was.
Speaker 7: Kind of ugly. But it's just I mean, the video that I got out of it was kind of cool. But all in all hindsight, being what it is, I probably would have handed a little bit different and just maybe chilled out a little more and went damn again or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And what was the game warden's messaging towards you, because he had talked to you not before they went and looked at the carcass, right, he had talked to you afterwards.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he called me after they'd done an investigation and he's like, just wanted to let you know, like, I've been out there. We looked over the carcass and everything. There was absolutely no wrongdoing that I can find there. There's nothing illegal. There's no legal issue here at all. So it's just kind of something that hunters have to work out in that scenario, as it's been figured out in the past. And Utah, I guess it's not a law but more of a precedent. The person who puts a final arrow or finishes off the animal is the one who supposedly has the right to claim it. That's how it's been decided in the past.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I feel like it all went the right way, especially hearing that you guys had had a little zoom meeting and everybody apologize and so everybody's happy or at least like stable now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, we're all on good terms, you know. And the thing too, I live in a small town. These are local guys, so the last thing I want to do is start a big local stink, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we're all on good terms with it. And I think, sure the first shooter is disappointed, and you know, nobody's happy that that post ended up going viral with names in it, but it is kind of is what it is at the end of the day, count and do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And how I came upon your story, Ben was I saw that video on Instagram, which is an epic stock with just like the wind ripping like it is, and you said you would you had You can see your bow moving. That's not the wind doing that. You're trying to counter the wind to keep your arrow on the rest, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my hear keeps blowing sideways out of the rest and it almost came out of the cage there even so I keep shaking it sideways to keep it. And it hadn't been that windy all day, but it was just like the last maybe five minutes of that stock, it just really kicked up out of the canyon.
Speaker 1: It was wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the this is the kind of over the counter experience the guys joke about, but like, doesn't you know ever really happen where three different dudes shoot the same elk?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean sadly around here, it does happen, and it's not that uncommon, I think in my years of hunting over the counter elk in Utah, this is the third bowl that multiple groups have put arrows into. Well, no, the other two were rifle balls. Yeah, yeah, you know this is this is more unique in that fact, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we hear that down here in Montana too. I got a question for you. I know, you hit a rock a little bit, but it looks like you hit the shoulder blade. It's probably what limited your penetration? Are you gonna have? You have to change your arrow because of what you saw there? Are you pretty happy with the penetration you got?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know if I'm going full like thousand grain ranch ferry status or anything like that. I definitely no. I know that I have a heavy arrow, I have a long draw, I shoot seventy three pounds, and you know, I'm not worried about my setup at all in that scenario. It was just more it also did kind of hit that ridge of the shoulder blade, that heavy part of the shoulder blade. To me, it's like most scenarios that arrow is going to do the trick. But I just need to not shoot him on the shoulder. That's the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: All right, Ben, Well, thanks for joining us to share the story, and good luck with shed hunting this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks guys, Thanks Ben.
Speaker 2: All right, that brings this to the end of this week's show. Phil, let's get some final feedback from the chat.
Speaker 10: Yeah, last chance to get questions, and so if you have a question you would like answered, type it in right now into the live chat.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 10: Let's see here. I'll get this one out of the way. Lantern Lab says that they need a clip of me making the jingles. It takes a lot to embarrass me these days. You will never see video footage of me making the jingles.
Speaker 3: I don't think anyone in the office has seen you make no.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 10: Randall walked in on me a few weeks ago and I made him leave. It happened. Doctor Randall cannot see me. Oh, it happens. It happens right here, right right behind this desk.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you'll you'll never witness it. You just have to be in your imagination, which is wait, that could make so much money for this company?
Speaker 2: Do you do you have to stand up to sing?
Speaker 10: Philm okay, here's so I for the for the chapel roone one today. I tried because sitting down just I couldn't get the energy out, but the mic wasn't flexible enough, so I had to kind of do like a weird half crouch, which is so that sounds stupid, like terrible and stupid. Right, that's a you're you're not going to see me half crouching shrieking chapel roon into a microphone.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Oh.
Speaker 2: That'd be so unless you go to karaoke on that's right, yeah, downtown Bows.
Speaker 10: Yeah, after two I pas at the eagles. Then you can see me shrieking into a microphone. This might be like a maybe this is just common courtesy stuff for hunters, but I'm curious. Rashad's asking if you're with a hunting buddy that's trying to shoot a deer and he falls asleep, do you shoot the deer? Do you wake your pal up?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, that's a good chester. Shoot the deer Chester question, shoot the deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that there's a specific answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that situational situation dependent.
Speaker 2: Unless your buddy is an arcleptic, you just shoot that deer a shot.
Speaker 1: Or it depends on how good of a buddy he is to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, depends on what kind of deer you're looking at.
Speaker 1: I think too, if it's the Kansas State record buddy, screw him.
Speaker 2: I think I'd wake up Yiannis to tell him, Hey, I'm about to shoot this deer, but I'm not. I'm not letting Annie talking me.
Speaker 1: Get him in your binos and tell me, tell me where I hit him. D're and on.
Speaker 3: Turkey hunts with my kid, you know, naps on turkey hunts.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the kids sleep all the time.
Speaker 3: I tell my son, if you're asleep when a gobbler comes in, I'm shooting it.
Speaker 2: Oh is that is that genuine?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Yeah, he's gonna wake up to a gun blast.
Speaker 1: Yep, learned the hard way.
Speaker 2: That'll teach him.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 10: Fruit of the maceilium is asking if they're there's a meat quality difference between a spring or a fall black bear. For context, he'll be in Orchie will be in the Oregon Cascades. Bears have no access to fish but lots of berries. Yeah, they're dating a spring versus fall hunt.
Speaker 1: Huge difference.
Speaker 3: I think fat flavor everything, man, all bears generally going to be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need anything to add, Nope, Rody's got it. Yeah, all about what that thing has been.
Speaker 3: Eating for the last I think maybe something at least like where you know, we're down in Colorado, with like that thick oak brush and stuff like that, they can be hard harder to find in the fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there, you can't hunt them in the springy but but this is Oregon Cascade. But yeah, I would, I would there. I just think in the spring, you're gonna end up with a skinny, skinny er. I mean, you killed a spring bear once that was loaded with fat. But on average that's not normal, not normal. So I would definitely go for a fall hunt if you could cool.
Speaker 10: I don't know how detailed do you guys want to get, But Jeff's asking for a show in tel segment of everyone's big game rifle setup. I don't think that really needs to be in a show Intel setup. But if you guys have some like basic kits, you you go out with Johanny.
Speaker 2: What have you been shooting this year?
Speaker 1: Nobody really talks about their hunting rigs. Last couple of years been hunting with the sig Cross. Both my girls shot their bucks with or and my daughter shot at Wisconsin dough too with the sig Cross. Which is why I like that gun because it is so modular that, you know, I can make a few adjustments. I can shoot it and then make it compact.
Speaker 3: That folding stock man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can pack it away real easy. And you know I have two of them. One of them's got the Whiskey six I believe on it. One of them has got the Tango scope on it, and they're both chambered and six five creed More And yeah, I'll even shoot those at an elk as long as it's not too far away. That's the hunting rig right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this year I was shooting the Cross, Magnum saw tooth and a seven PRC. And this is like my first fall using a magnum caliber on most of my hunts, and it made me realize, with that muzzle break on there, I need to get a can.
Speaker 1: To that thing.
Speaker 2: Damn hits hard. Yeah, I shot hits my ears hard.
Speaker 3: I shot my moose with the saw Tooth magnum and three hundred win mag and three of us couldn't hear for two days after that, oh man. But also running an mdt UH twenty six stock with a Tika six five PRC and that's a real nice deer hunting rig elk hunting rig.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that the common denominator here is we're all shooting guns. Were very confident with which is you know what matters most you go out there. You know when you put the crossairs on something, you're gonna kill it dead.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 10: What else you got, Phil, Let's do one more because this one's light. Chris is asking for honeymoon destination ideas in the US, probably for outdoorsy folks. Do you guys have any tips? Where'd you guys go on your honeymoon?
Speaker 2: This guy already looks like.
Speaker 1: He's got two three. Man, it's a little late for the honeymoon.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's asking for someone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: He got married during COVID and they just had to push Alaska, go to Alaska.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on the time of year.
Speaker 1: Too, right, Max just went to Alaska for his honeymoon.
Speaker 2: Where'd you go on your honeymoon, Brody?
Speaker 1: I went to Belize, I went to New Zealand.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I went to New York City.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: It was minus definitely a fishing vacation for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, there's so many places. I mean the same place i'd go take my kids for spring breaking. You can go on honeymoon, I don't know, go to the desert and go back back and go to North Carolina and fish the out banks, go to Maine, go to some state you've never been there.
Speaker 2: I would just say, go on an adventure.
Speaker 1: Don't go on some cruise. Yeah here, yeah, say that from when you're an old person. Uh yeah, go on an adventure with your gal.
Speaker 2: I love a good road trip, and I've really taken to the PNW the last few years now that we only live like a ten hour drive away, driving up and down the coast to Oregon, Washington, northern California. Nothing else like it as far as place as I've been, love it anything else, Phill, No, let's call it there, all right. That Uh, that's the end of the show. But after we say goodbye, Phil is going to play Chester's newest song, which is available on Spotify right now. I've already added to a bunch of my playlists. Chester didn't even ask for this plug, didn't even really tell us that it existed. I just solid on Spotify and listened to it, and I was like, damn it, Chester, that is that's delightful.
Speaker 1: It's a good song.
Speaker 2: It's a good hear it. And I told Chester I didn't ask. I said, we're gonna play this at the end of media to radio this.
Speaker 3: Phil, you need to cover one of chester songs.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wouldn't disrespect in that way.
Speaker 2: All right, So after we say goodbye and the rock music plays, Phil is going to play for you Chester's newest tune.
Speaker 1: Thanks everybody for tuning in.
Speaker 2: See you next week.
Speaker 8: Is this the wrong inside of Heaven?
Speaker 11: MS?
Speaker 4: It's just me?
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is how s anxiety. She left me in the room. The dog, he said, let him go, please come back? No, no, no, babe. Well I'm not the man you always thought i'd be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Living on the edge of sanit Tea. I haven't had a drink in about six weeks, refrained from the pint of dome I might. I left the car and to Guy's bike outside.
Speaker 12: So cheers beards brand new. You say it, toast, I love you the most.
Speaker 8: Shoot some pool with your foods. Tell a couple of lies with my guys.
Speaker 11: Well, I took that bik that I stole from Mike down to the tavern where I just Mike spent three weeks since she called.
Speaker 8: I figure it don't matter anyhow.
Speaker 13: You take the sober getting over you, so cheers to peers brand new.
Speaker 8: See it toast, I love you the most. Shoot some pool with your fools. You tell a couple of lies with my guys.
Speaker 11: Now, I'm cruising down this hill on their eighteen inch wheels.
Speaker 8: Never got much slang, but the night winds got my back.
Speaker 11: Cruise along in this moonlight day, seventh year, trying to keep her straight, tears all driving, going so fast, baby, HiT's a lessening in the past.
Speaker 8: Going down at the stars tonight. Yes, I'm going down with the stars to night.